- Histological changes in the liver of morbidly obese patients: correlation with metabolic parameters
Anna Maria Wolf
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital Ulm, Germany
Obes Surg 15:228-37. 2005
- Evaluation of abnormal liver function tests
J K Limdi
Tameside General Hospital, Ashton under Lyne, Manchester, UK
Postgrad Med J 79:307-12. 2003
Interpretation of abnormalities in liver function tests is a common problem faced by clinicians. This has become more common with the introduction of automated routine laboratory testing...
- AGA technical review on the evaluation of liver chemistry tests
Richard M Green
Division of Hepatology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Gastroenterology 123:1367-84. 2002
- 13C-breath tests: current state of the art and future directions
John Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, OX3 9DU Oxford, UK
Dig Liver Dis 39:795-805. 2007
..The stable isotope technique presents an elegant, non-invasive diagnostic tool promising further options of clinical applications. This review is aimed at providing an overview on the relevant clinical applications of 13C-breath tests...
- The importance of routine liver biopsy in diagnosing nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in bariatric patients
Department of Surgery and Interdisciplinary Obesity Study Group, University of South Florida Health Sciences Center, Tampa, FL 33601, USA
Obes Surg 14:54-9. 2004
..Prevalence of NASH in bariatric patients is unknown. Our aim was to determine the role of routine liver biopsy in managing bariatric patients...
- Evidence-based incorporation of serum sodium concentration into MELD
Scott W Biggins
University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Gastroenterology 130:1652-60. 2006
..Serum sodium (Na) concentrations have been suggested as a useful predictor of mortality in patients with end-stage liver disease awaiting liver transplantation...
- Effect of human stem cells labeled with ferumoxides-poly-L-lysine on hematologic and biochemical measurements in rats
Gene T Yocum
Experimental Neuroimaging Section, Laboratory of Diagnostic Radiology Research, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Radiology 235:547-52. 2005
- Liver enzyme alteration: a guide for clinicians
Edoardo G Giannini
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
CMAJ 172:367-79. 2005
- Hepatic enzymes, the metabolic syndrome, and the risk of type 2 diabetes in older men
Sasiwarang Goya Wannamethee
Department of Primary Care and Population Sciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Rowland Hill Street, London NW3 2PF, U K
Diabetes Care 28:2913-8. 2005
..We have examined the relationship between hepatic enzymes, the metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes and assessed the potential of hepatic enzyme measurements in determining diabetes risk...
- Prevalence and etiology of altered liver tests: a population-based survey in a Mediterranean town
Gaspare Maria Pendino
Divisione di Medicina 1, Policlinico Madonna della Consolazione, Reggio Calabria, Italy
Hepatology 41:1151-9. 2005
- Predicting liver failure following major hepatectomy
Department of Hepatobiliary and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide, SA 5011, Australia
Dig Liver Dis 41:798-806. 2009
..Published data would not suggest any difference in mortality, morbidity or liver failure rates between these groups. This review outlines and presents the evidence for pre-operative quantification of functional liver remnant volume...
- Accuracy of indocyanine green pulse spectrophotometry clearance test for liver function prediction in transplanted patients
Chung Bao Hsieh
Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, China
World J Gastroenterol 10:2394-6. 2004
..To investigate whether the non-invasive real-time Indocyanine green (ICG) clearance is a sensitive index of liver viability in patients before, during, and after liver transplantation...
- Insulin resistance and diabetes increase fibrosis in the liver of patients with genotype 1 HCV infection
Cattedra ed Unità Operativa di Gastroenterologia, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 103:1136-44. 2008
..We aimed to assess whether increasing degrees of IR, up to overt diabetes, are linked to steatosis and higher stages of fibrosis in patients with CHC resulting from genotype 1 HCV (G1-HCV)...
- Epidemiology and genetic epidemiology of the liver function test proteins
Department of Twin Research and Genetic Epidemiology, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e4435. 2009
..The liver function test (LFT) is among the most commonly used clinical investigations to assess hepatic function, severity of liver diseases and the effect of therapies, as well as to detect drug-induced liver injury (DILI)...
- Prognostic value of indocyanine green elimination assessed with LiMON in septic patients
Mehmet Turan Inal
Department of Anesthesiology, Trakya University Medical Faculty, 22030 Edirne, Turkey
J Crit Care 24:329-34. 2009
..Sepsis is the most frequent infection with high mortality rates in intensive care units (ICUs), and the prediction of outcome is important in the decision-making process...
- Decreased survival of subjects with elevated liver function tests during a 28-year follow-up
Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
Hepatology 51:595-602. 2010
..69; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.24-2.25); subjects with bland steatosis, a 55% increase (SMR, 1.55; 95% CI, 0.98-2.32; P = 0.062); and subjects with NASH, 86% (SMR, 1.86; 95% CI, 1.19-2.76; P = 0.007)...
- Acoustic radiation force impulse elastography for chronic liver disease: comparison with ultrasound-based scores of experienced radiologists, Child-Pugh scores and liver function tests
Ji Eun Kim
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Ultrasound Med Biol 36:1637-43. 2010
..performance for diagnosis of chronic liver disease and correlates better with Child-Pugh scores and liver function tests, compared with an ultrasound (US) scoring system based on visual assessment of conventional B-mode US ..
- Dose-response relationship between arsenic exposure and the serum enzymes for liver function tests in the individuals exposed to arsenic: a cross sectional study in Bangladesh
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Rajshahi University, Rajshahi 6205, Bangladesh
Environ Health 10:64. 2011
..However, serum hepatic enzyme activity as recognized on liver function tests (LFTs) showing a dose-response relationship with arsenic exposure has not yet been clearly documented...
- Suspected nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and mortality risk in a population-based cohort study
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 103:2263-71. 2008
..The current study compared the survival of subjects with and without suspected NAFLD in a population-based cohort, and placed the finding in the context of previously published case series...
- Independent prospective multicenter validation of biochemical markers (fibrotest-actitest) for the prediction of liver fibrosis and activity in patients with chronic hepatitis C: the fibropaca study
Department of Virology, Alphabio Laboratory, 23 Street of Friedland, 13006 Marseille, France
Am J Gastroenterol 101:547-55. 2006
..The aim of this study was to perform an external validation of FT and AT and to study the discordances between FT/AT and liver biopsy in patients with chronic hepatitis C...
- Postoperative changes in liver function tests: randomized comparison of low- and high-pressure laparoscopic cholecystectomy
Department of Surgery, University Clinical Center Tuzla, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tuzla, Trnovac b b, 75, 000, Tuzla, Bosnia Herzegovina
Surg Endosc 19:1451-5. 2005
..This study evaluated the changes in liver function tests after high-pressure LC (HPLC; 14 mmHg) and low-pressure LC (LPLC; 7 mmHg).
- Liver function tests and their interpretation
B R Thapa
Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Indian J Pediatr 74:663-71. 2007
b>Liver function tests (LFT) are a helpful screening tool, which are an effective modality to detect hepatic dysfunction...
- Review article: the assessment of liver function using breath tests
Liver Unit, Department of Medicine, Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26:1293-302. 2007
..The recent development of a real-time, point-of-care liver function breath test has made it straightforward to assess the metabolic function of the liver...
- Prevalence of hepatitis B and C seromarkers and abnormal liver function tests among hemophiliacs in Guilan (northern province of Iran)
Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases Research Center, Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Rasht, Iran
Med Sci Monit 8:CR797-800. 2002
The aim of this study was to determine the seroprevalence of hepatitis B and C viruses and abnormal liver function tests among hemophiliacs in Guilan province, Iran.
- Adiponectin, hepatocellular dysfunction and insulin sensitivity
Unit of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Nutrition, University Hospital of Girona Dr Josep Trueta, Girona, Spain
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 60:256-63. 2004
- Autoimmune hepatitis
Edward L Krawitt
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405 0068, USA
N Engl J Med 354:54-66. 2006
- Pretreatment of male BALB/c mice with beta-ionone potentiates thioacetamide-induced hepatotoxicity
T C Jeong
Toxicology Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, Taejon, South Korea
Toxicol Lett 105:39-46. 1999
..our present results suggest that beta-ionone may be a useful model inducer of P450 enzyme(s) in studying toxic mechanism of certain chemicals which require metabolic activation by P450s in mice...
- Evaluation of liver fibrosis: a concise review
Nezam H Afdhal
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02125, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1160-74. 2004
..The limitations of utilization of these markers for both cross-sectional diagnosis of fibrosis and monitoring disease progression or regression are discussed...
- Hepatotoxicity in HIV-1-infected patients receiving nevirapine-containing antiretroviral therapy
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Barcelona, Spain
AIDS 15:1261-8. 2001
..To assess the incidence and risk factors for hepatotoxicity associated with nevirapine...
- The association of alanine transaminase with aging, frailty, and mortality
David G Le Couteur
Centre for Education and Research on Ageing, Concord RG Hospital, University of Sydney, Hospital Road, Concord, NSW 2139, Australia
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65:712-7. 2010
..Low ALT activity is a predictor of reduced survival; however, this seems to be mediated by its association with frailty and increasing age. ALT has potential value as a novel biomarker of aging...
- Brief communication: clinical implications of short-term variability in liver function test results
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2223, USA
Ann Intern Med 148:348-52. 2008
..Clinicians sometimes order liver tests as part of a screening examination or general work-up. Current guidelines do not recommend routine retesting of abnormal results in asymptomatic patients...
- Ambrisentan therapy in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension who discontinued bosentan or sitaxsentan due to liver function test abnormalities
Michael D McGoon
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Chest 135:122-9. 2009
..Because ambrisentan may provide benefits in PAH patients who have discontinued ERA therapy due to LFT abnormalities, we evaluated the safety and efficacy of ambrisentan in this patient population...
- Evaluation of ornithine carbamoyl transferase and other serum and liver-derived analytes in diagnosis of fatty liver and postsurgical outcome of left-displaced abomasum in dairy cows
Clinic of Farm Animals, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 541 24 Thessaloniki, Greece
J Am Vet Med Assoc 229:1463-71. 2006
- Nuclear imaging techniques for the assessment of hepatic function in liver surgery and transplantation
Wilmar de Graaf
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Nucl Med 51:742-52. 2010
..In liver transplantation, these methods are used to assess graft function and biliary complications...
- Muscular exercise can cause highly pathological liver function tests in healthy men
AstraZeneca R and D Lund, Lund, Sweden
Br J Clin Pharmacol 65:253-9. 2008
..Physical exercise can result in transient elevations of liver function tests. There is no consensus in the literature on which forms of exercise may cause changes in liver function ..
- Living liver donor death related to complications of myeloma
Department of HPB Surgery and Liver Transplantation, Hospital Beaujon, Clichy, France
Liver Transpl 15:326-9. 2009
..This unusual cause of donor death after right hepatectomy reinforces the need for an extensive preoperative assessment. We advocate the addition of urinary protein loss and electrophoresis to the standard donor assessment protocol...
- Serial changes in liver function tests in patients with thyrotoxicosis induced by Graves' disease and painless thyroiditis
Kuma Hospital, 8 2 35, Shimoyamate dori, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0011, Japan
Thyroid 18:283-7. 2008
When the liver function tests are aggravated after starting antithyroid drugs (ATDs) in Graves' hyperthyroidism, discontinuation of ATDs is generally considered...
- Liver function tests: their role in the diagnosis of hepatobiliary diseases
Joseph A Knight
Division of Education at the Department of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Infus Nurs 28:108-17. 2005
..Although liver function tests are critical in recognizing the presence of liver disease and its specific diagnosis, the interpretation of ..
- Hepatotoxic effects of therapies for tuberculosis
Bahaa E Senousy
Internal Medicine Department, Ain Shams University, Abbassia 11566, Cairo, Egypt
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:543-56. 2010
- Relationship among blood indicators of lipomobilization and hepatic function during early lactation in high-yielding dairy cows
Felix Diaz González
Faculdade de Veterinaria, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Vet Sci 12:251-5. 2011
..During early lactation, 30% of cows suffered hepatic lipidosis as detected by levels of AST. Compromised hepatic function was observed in early lactation cows as shown by lower concentrations of glucose, total protein, and urea...
- Simple clinical variables predict liver histology in hepatitis C: prospective validation of a clinical prediction model
Digestive Disease Center, University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathon Lucas Street, PO Box 250 327, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:1365-71. 2005
..Absence of predictors also predicted a lack of inflammation and fibrosis. Our aim was prospectively to validate this clinical prediction model using an independent multicenter sample...
- Perioperative use of the LiMON method of indocyanine green elimination measurement for the prediction and early detection of post-hepatectomy liver failure
N De Liguori Carino
Supra Regional Hepatobiliary Unit, University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, L9 7AL, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 35:957-62. 2009
..The aim was to assess the relationship between pre and post-operative ICG plasma disappearance rate (ICG PDR %/min) values and the onset of post-hepatectomy liver dysfunction...
- Background incidence of liver chemistry abnormalities in a clinical trial population without underlying liver disease
John G Weil
WW Epidemiology, Neurosciences and International Support, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development Ltd, New Frontiers Science Park, South Third Avenue, Harlow, Essex CM19 5AW, UK
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 52:85-8. 2008
..The study was undertaken to determine the background rates of liver chemistry abnormalities in clinical trial populations without underlying liver disease...
- Elevations in markers of liver injury and risk of type 2 diabetes: the insulin resistance atherosclerosis study
Anthony J G Hanley
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Mail Code 7873, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Diabetes 53:2623-32. 2004
..In conclusion, AST and ALT independently predict type 2 diabetes. Baseline elevations of these markers may reflect NAFLD or related pathologies...
- Perioperative outcome after laparoscopic radiofrequency ablation of liver tumors: an analysis of 521 cases
Department of General Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Surg Endosc 21:613-8. 2007
..Understanding the morbidity and laboratory changes after RFA is important for operative indications and perioperative management...
- Noninvasive quantitative testing of liver function using ultrasonography in patients with cirrhosis
Guo Zhen Yan
Department of Ultrasound Diagnostics, Tangdu Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
Hepatogastroenterology 53:15-20. 2006
- A novel cause for abnormal liver function tests in pregnancy and the puerperium: non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
L M Page
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, West Middlesex University Hospital, Isleworth, UK
BJOG 118:1532-5. 2011
..We suggest that NAFLD should also be considered as a cause for abnormal liver function tests during pregnancy...
- Noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis in patients with Fontan circulation using transient elastography and biochemical fibrosis markers
Department of Internal Medicine, JW Goethe University Clinic, Frankfurt, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:560-7. 2008
..Therefore, early detection of fibrosis is essential to identify patients at risk. Transient elastography has been evaluated for noninvasive staging of liver fibrosis in a multitude of studies...
- Liver function tests and statins
Philippe J Zamor
Department of Medicine, Center for Liver Diseases and Transplantation, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina 28203, USA
Curr Opin Cardiol 26:338-41. 2011
..To discuss recent data on statins in patients with elevated liver tests...
- Hepatitis G virus RNA is common in AIDS patients' plasma but is not associated with abnormal liver function tests or other clinical syndromes
Division of Infectious Diseases, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Center for AIDS Research, Case Western Reserve University, Ohio 44106 5083, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 19:408-12. 1998
..7; 95% confidence interval [CI], 2.4-25.0) but hepatitis C antibody was not. Mean values for liver function tests and hematologic values did not differ significantly between the groups nor did the occurrence of certain ..
- Development of a decision support tool to facilitate primary care management of patients with abnormal liver function tests without clinically apparent liver disease [HTA03/38/02]. Abnormal Liver Function Investigations Evaluation (ALFIE)
Peter T Donnan
Tayside Centre for General Practice, Community Health Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
BMC Health Serv Res 7:54. 2007
b>Liver function tests (LFTs) are routinely performed in primary care, and are often the gateway to further invasive and/or expensive investigations...
- A case of elevated liver function tests after crown-of-thorns (Acanthaster planci) envenomation
Stanford University Medical Center, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Wilderness Environ Med 19:275-9. 2008
..We describe elevated liver enzymes in a 19-year-old female associated with A planci spine puncture wounds. To our knowledge, this is the first documented report of transaminitis in a human after A planci envenomation...
- Association between serum prostate-specific antigen level, liver function tests and lipid profile in healthy men
June Hyun Han
Department of Urology, Hanil General Hospital, KEPCA Medical Foundation, Seoul, Korea
BJU Int 102:1097-101. 2008
To assess the association between serum prostate-specific antigen (PSA) level and age, liver function tests (LFTs) including alkaline phosphatase (ALP), total bilirubin (TB), lipid profile (total cholesterol, TC, triglycerides, TG, high-..
- Intravenous and intrapulmonary administration of honey solution to healthy sheep: effects on blood sugar, renal and liver function tests, bone marrow function, lipid profile, and carbon tetrachloride-induced liver injury
Noori S Al-Waili
Dubai Specialized Medical Center and Medical Research Laboratories, Islamic Establishment for Education, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
J Med Food 6:231-47. 2003
..administration of different concentrations of honey and their effects on blood sugar, renal and liver function tests, bone marrow function, lipid profile, and carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4))-induced liver damage were studied...
- Serum phenylalanine concentration as a marker of liver function in obese patients before and after bariatric surgery
Department of Biochemistry, Medical University of Gdansk, Debinki 1, 80 241, Gdansk, Poland
Obes Surg 19:883-9. 2009
..This study examines whether improvements of liver function after bariatric surgery is associated with a decrease of serum phenylalanine concentration caused by an increase of phenylalanine metabolism...
- The prognostic role of WHO classification, urinary 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid and liver function tests in metastatic neuroendocrine carcinomas of the gastroenteropancreatic tract
Department of Medicine, Royal Marsden Hospital, London and Sutton, Surrey, UK
Br J Cancer 96:1178-82. 2007
..In a WDNEC-restricted analysis, abnormal liver function tests (LFTs) and elevated urinary 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (u5HIAA) were independent prognostic factors for ..
- Liver function tests: defining what's normal
Community Clinical Sciences Research Division, University of Southampton, B Floor, South Academic Block, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton SO16 6YD
BMJ 328:987. 2004
- Use of middle hepatic vein in right lobe living donor liver transplantation
Florence Nightingale Hospital, Center for Organ Transplantation, Abide i Hurriyet Caddesi No 290 Sisli, Istanbul, Turkey
Transpl Int 23:285-91. 2010
..The decision, therefore, of the extent of right lobe donor hepatectomy should be tailored to the particular conditions considering the graft quality and metabolic demand of the recipient...
- Long-term cyclosporine treatment: evaluation of serum biochemical parameters and histopathological alterations in Wistar rats
Ana Elisa Böhmer
Department of Biochemistry, ICBS, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Avenida Ramiro Barcelos, 2600 Anexo, 90035 003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Exp Toxicol Pathol 63:119-23. 2011
..These results suggest that the CsA concentrations administered in our experimental protocol were able to induce immunosuppression in rats without causing nephro and hepatotoxicity...
- Liver function tests in metastatic uveal melanoma
Department of Ophthalmology, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Ophthalmol 137:236-43. 2004
To evaluate trends in liver function tests before detection of liver metastases from uveal melanoma.
- Comparison of postoperative hepatic function after laparoscopic versus open gastric bypass
Ninh T Nguyen
Department of Surgery, Medical Center, University of California Davis, Sacramento, CA, USA
Am J Surg 186:40-4. 2003
..Pneumoperitoneum has been shown to reduce hepatic portal blood flow and alter postoperative hepatic transaminases. This study evaluated the changes in hepatic function after laparoscopic and open gastric bypass (GBP)...
- [Clinical characteristics of factory workers with asymptomatic liver function test abnormalities found on serial health examination]
Kang Mo Kim
Department of Internal Medicine and Liver Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 11:144-56. 2005
The liver function tests (LFTs), such as aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), and gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase (gamma-GT), have been widely used as screening tests but their low positive predictive value can ..
- Assessment of hepatic reserve for the indication of hepatic resection: how I do it
Gian Massimo Gazzaniga
Department of Surgery, HPB Unit, Galliera Hospital Genova, Via A Volta 1, 16100 Genoa, Italy
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 12:27-30. 2005
..However, a good multifactorial system that combines several elements (clinical, laboratory, functional, and volumetric evaluation) does provide sufficient data for determining the safe limits of hepatectomy...
- Abnormal liver function tests following bone marrow transplantation: aetiology and role of liver biopsy
Gwo Tzer Ho
Department of Gastroenterology, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:157-62. 2004
..We studied the prevalence and aetiology of abnormal liver function tests following bone marrow transplantation and the role of liver biopsy.
- [Relationship between morphological diagnosis of NASH (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis) and liver function tests in a group of patients with morbid obesity]
Clínica de Obesidad del Departamento de Endocrinología y Metabolismo, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran
Rev Invest Clin 57:505-12. 2005
..Hepatic biochemical test are abnormal. Despite the lack of its own morphological characteristics, NASH can be differentiated from other pathologies, the gold standard for diagnosis is liver biopsy...
- Liver damage in obese patients
Antonio Del Gaudio
Department of Surgery, University of Bologna, S Orsola Hospital, Via Massarenti, 9, I 40138 Bologna, Italy
Obes Surg 12:802-4. 2002
..The aim of this study is to determine the hepatic conditions of morbidly obese patients during bariatric surgery by means of a wedge liver biopsy, to avoid any eventual hepatic damage being ascribed to the surgical procedure...
- Assessment of liver function in primary biliary cirrhosis using Gd-EOB-DTPA-enhanced liver MRI
Department of Clinical Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
HPB (Oxford) 12:567-76. 2010
..The aim of this study was to determine whether the hepatic uptake and excretion of Gd-EOB-DTPA differ between patients with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) and healthy controls, and whether differences could be quantified...
- Assessment of hepatic extraction fraction and input relative blood flow using dynamic hepatocyte-specific contrast-enhanced MRI
Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
J Magn Reson Imaging 29:1323-31. 2009
..To assess the feasibility to use dynamic hepatocyte-specific contrast-enhanced MRI (DHCE-MRI) as an imaging-based liver function test, and to compare two methods for deconvolutional analysis (DA) in healthy human subjects...
- Health outcomes following liver function testing in primary care: a retrospective cohort study
David J McLernon
Medical Statistics Team, Section of Population Health, University of Aberdeen, Polwarth Building, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Fam Pract 26:251-9. 2009
patients who present with abnormal liver function tests (LFTs) in primary care and no obvious symptoms can be difficult to manage.
- Occupational lead exposure and amino acid profiles and liver function tests in industrial workers
F R Al Neamy
Department of Biochemistry, Al Ain Hospital, Ministry of Health, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Int J Environ Health Res 11:181-8. 2001
..These results might be related to lead exposure and might have affects on the kidneys or liver...
- Quantitative assessment of hepatic function and its relevance to the liver surgeon
Department of Hepatobiliary and Transplant Surgery, St James s Hospital, Leeds, UK
J Gastrointest Surg 13:374-85. 2009
- Liver enzyme alterations after laparoscopic cholecystectomy
H Erhan Guven
3rd General Surgery Department, Ankara Oncology Research and Training Hospital, Demetevler Ankara, Turkey, 91 6 06500 Y Bahçelievler, Ankara, Turkey
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 16:391-4. 2007
- A clinical scoring system for predicting nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in morbidly obese patients
Guilherme M Campos
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0790, USA
Hepatology 47:1916-23. 2008
..3; 95% CI, 1.4-8.0), and non-Black race (OR, 8.4; 95% CI, 1.9-37.1). A NASH Clinical Scoring System for Morbid Obesity was derived to predict the probability of NASH in four categories (low, intermediate, high, and very high)...
- Traditional kava beverage consumption and liver function tests in a predominantly Tongan population in Hawaii
Amy C Brown
Department of Complementary and Alternative Medicine, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 45:549-56. 2007
To determine the effects of traditionally prepared kava beverages on the liver function tests of regular kava beverage consumers in a population of Tongan and non-Tongan residents of Hawaii (Oahu).
- Genotypes and viremia of hepatitis B and D viruses are associated with outcomes of chronic hepatitis D patients
Chien Wei Su
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Gastroenterology 130:1625-35. 2006
..Genotypes and viremia of hepatitis D virus (HDV) and hepatitis B virus (HBV) may be associated with outcomes. This study evaluated the impact of viral genotypes and viremia on outcomes of dual HBV and HDV infection...
- Transient liver dysfunction after laparoscopic gastrectomy for gastric cancer patients
Department of Surgery I, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, 1 1 Hasama machi, Oita, 879 5593, Japan
World J Surg 31:1115-20. 2007
..The aim of this study was to clarify whether laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy (LADG) is associated with changes in liver function compared with open distal gastrectomy (ODG)...
- Motion - all patients with NASH need to have a liver biopsy: arguments for the motion
Jayant A Talwalkar
Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester 55902, USA
Can J Gastroenterol 16:718-21. 2002
..Only histological examination can establish the diagnosis of NASH, grade its severity, determine the prognosis and guide treatment...
- Measurement of liver function for patients with cirrhosis by 13C-methacetin breath test compared with Child-Pugh score and routine liver function tests
Yun Xiang Liu
Department of Gastroenterology, Yantai Yuhuangding Hospital, Affiliated to Medical College of Qingdao University, Yantai 264000, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 119:1563-6. 2006
- Simple scintigraphic parameters with Tc-99m galactosyl human serum albumin for clinical staging of chronic hepatocellular dysfunction
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Kanazawa University Hospital, Takaramachi, Japan
Ann Nucl Med 13:5-11. 1999
..In conclusion, the use of the ROI-area normalized nLHL is recommended instead of the conventional LHL15. The indices of LH15 and T-half could be alternatively used as practical parameters for clinical staging in liver function...
- [13C]-Galactose breath test: correlation with liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C
Fédération des spécialités digestives, Hopital E Herriot, Lyon, France
Eur J Clin Invest 29:624-9. 1999
..However, this test lacks sensitivity in early liver disease. The goal of this study was to evaluate a [13C]-galactose breath test (GBT) in a population of patients with chronic hepatitis C...
- Noninvasive measures of liver fibrosis
Don C Rockey
Department of Medicine, and the Division of Digestive and Liver Diseases, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Hepatology 43:S113-20. 2006
..The development of safe, inexpensive, and reliable noninvasive fibrosis measurement tools remains a research priority in clinical hepatology...
- Prevalence, outcome and associated factors of deranged liver function tests in patients on home parenteral nutrition
Intestinal Failure Unit, Hope Hospital, Salford, Manchester, M6 8HD, UK
Clin Nutr 21:337-43. 2002
The prevalence of deranged liver function tests (LFT) in patients on long-term home parenteral nutrition (HPN) is poorly documented. The aim of our study was to document the prevalence of this complication and possible associated factors.
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in type 2 diabetes mellitus
Gastroenterology Center, Jagjivanram Hospital, Mumbai Central, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:854-8. 2004
..Hence we have studied its prevalence and correlation of biochemical parameters with histological grades of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) in otherwise asymptomatic type 2 DM patients...
- Entecavir for treatment of lamivudine-refractory, HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B
Department of Medicine, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gastroenterology 130:2039-49. 2006
..In preclinical and phase II studies, entecavir demonstrated potent antiviral activity against lamivudine-resistant HBV...
- Effects of taurine and ursodeoxycholic acid on liver function tests in patients with cystic fibrosis
Department of Pediatrics, University of Milan, Italy
Acta Univ Carol Med (Praha) 36:148-51. 1990
..Standard liver function tests were determined before and after each period of treatment...
- First identification of the hepatotoxic microcystins in the serum of a chronically exposed human population together with indication of hepatocellular damage
Donghu Experimental Station of Lake Ecosystems, State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology of China, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, P R China
Toxicol Sci 108:81-9. 2009
..The results also demonstrate a risk of health effects from chronic exposure to MCs at least for populations with high levels of exposure, like these fishermen...
- Functional mapping of regional liver asialoglycoprotein receptor amount from single blood sample and SPECT
Department of Radiology, Asahikawa Medical College, Asahikawa, Hokkaido, Japan
J Nucl Med 44:475-82. 2003
- The prevalence and predictors of elevated serum aminotransferase activity in the United States in 1999-2002
George N Ioannou
Research Enhancement Award Program, Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:76-82. 2006
..We aimed to describe the prevalence and associations of elevated serum aminotransferase activity in a recent, nationally representative U.S. survey...
- High adiponectin in chronic liver disease and cholestasis suggests biliary route of adiponectin excretion in vivo
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
J Hepatol 42:666-73. 2005
..Models of fatty liver diseases and fibrosis suggest a hepatoprotective effect of adiponectin, an adipocyte-derived hormone with antidiabetic, antiobesity, antiatherogenic and anti-inflammatory effects...
- Prospective comparison of six non-invasive scores for the diagnosis of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C
Département d Hépato Gastroentérologie, CHU de Grenoble, BP 217, 38043 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
J Hepatol 46:775-82. 2007
..The aim of this study was to compare the diagnostic performance of 6 scores (MP3, Fibrotest, Fibrometer, Hepascore, Forns' score and APRI)...
- Liver function tests in patients of pulmonary tuberculosis using four different drug regimens
M Z Akbri
Department of Biochemistry, Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 13:5-10. 2001
..Antituberculous therapy causes derangement of hepatic functions revealed by disturbed liver function tests. The incidence of side effects may vary depending upon a number of factors...
- [Pre- and postoperative transaminase changes within the scope of gastric banding in morbid obesity]
, Departement Innere Medizin, Kantonsspital St. Gallen
Praxis (Bern 1994) 90:1459-64. 2001
..The normalisation of elevated liver enzymes correlates to the extent of weight reduction after gastric banding. Our data show reversible liver enzyme abnormalities, correlating to the degree of obesity...
- Review article: breath testing for human liver function assessment
Department of Internal Medicine, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:1977-96. 2002
- Biomarkers for the prediction of liver fibrosis in patients with chronic alcoholic liver disease
Department of Hepato Gastroenterology, Hopital Antoine Beclere, Clamart, France
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:167-74. 2005
..The aim of this study was to determine the diagnostic use of noninvasive markers of fibrosis in patients with chronic alcoholic liver disease...
- Serum resistin levels in critically ill patients are associated with inflammation, organ dysfunction and metabolism and may predict survival of non-septic patients
Department of Medicine III, RWTH University Hospital Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Crit Care 13:R95. 2009
..We aimed to examine the correlation of serum resistin concentrations to parameters of inflammation, organ function, metabolism, disease severity and survival in critically ill patients...
- Should liver function tests be included in definitions of metabolic syndrome? Evidence from the association between liver function tests, components of metabolic syndrome and prevalent cardiovascular disease
M C Devers
Department of Diabetes, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Diabet Med 25:523-9. 2008
The definition of metabolic syndrome (MS) continues to be debated and does not include abnormal liver function tests (LFTs)...
- 13C-breath tests in hepatology (cytosolic liver function)
Dpt of Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, Hospital, IRCCS, San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 8:47-9. 2004
..Both BTs are not affected by enzymatic induction due to drugs which may interfere with the results of the classic "microsomial" BTs (such as the aminopyrine or caffeine BTs)...
- Seasonal variation in liver function tests: a time-series analysis of outpatient data
Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Hongo 2 1 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Ann Clin Biochem 46:377-84. 2009
Long-term physiological variations, such as seasonal variations, affect the screening efficiency at medical checkups. This study examined the seasonal variation in liver function tests using recently described data-mining methods.
- Incidence of and risk factors for severe hepatotoxicity associated with antiretroviral combination therapy
Ferdinand W N M Wit
National AIDS Therapy Evaluation Center, Department of Human Retrovirology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Infect Dis 186:23-31. 2002
..In 97% of cases, >or=1 risk factor was present. In HBV-coinfected patients using 3TC, continued use of 3TC should be considered, even if 3TC-resistant HIV strains develop...
- Validity of 13C-phenylalanine breath test to evaluate functional capacity of hepatocyte in patients with liver cirrhosis and acute hepatitis
First Department of Internal Medicine, Iwate Medical University, School of Medicine, 19 1 Uchimaru, Morioka 020 8505, Iwate, Japan
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:851-9. 2005
..No definitive method for quantitative evaluation of hepatic function has as yet been established...
- Association of ADIPOR2 with liver function tests in type 2 diabetic subjects
Diabetes, Endocrinology and Nutrition Unit, Dr Josep Trueta Hospital, Girona, Spain
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:2308-13. 2008
..We studied whether common single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in ADIPOR1 and ADIPOR2 are associated with liver function tests (LFTs) in human subjects with various degrees of insulin resistance.