- The importance of routine liver biopsy in diagnosing nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in bariatric patients
Department of Surgery and Interdisciplinary Obesity Study Group, University of South Florida Health Sciences Center, Tampa, FL 33601, USA
Obes Surg 14:54-9. 2004
- Liver enzyme alteration: a guide for clinicians
Edoardo G Giannini
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
CMAJ 172:367-79. 2005
- Prevalence and etiology of altered liver tests: a population-based survey in a Mediterranean town
Gaspare Maria Pendino
Divisione di Medicina 1, Policlinico Madonna della Consolazione, Reggio Calabria, Italy
Hepatology 41:1151-9. 2005
- Postoperative changes in liver function tests: randomized comparison of low- and high-pressure laparoscopic cholecystectomy
Department of Surgery, University Clinical Center Tuzla, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tuzla, Trnovac b b, 75, 000, Tuzla, Bosnia Herzegovina
Surg Endosc 19:1451-5. 2005
..This study evaluated the changes in liver function tests after high-pressure LC (HPLC; 14 mmHg) and low-pressure LC (LPLC; 7 mmHg).
- Histological changes in the liver of morbidly obese patients: correlation with metabolic parameters
Anna Maria Wolf
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital Ulm, Germany
Obes Surg 15:228-37. 2005
- Independent prospective multicenter validation of biochemical markers (fibrotest-actitest) for the prediction of liver fibrosis and activity in patients with chronic hepatitis C: the fibropaca study
Department of Virology, Alphabio Laboratory, 23 Street of Friedland, 13006 Marseille, France
Am J Gastroenterol 101:547-55. 2006
..CONCLUSIONS: This prospective independent and multicenter study confirms the diagnostic value of FT and AT found in the princeps study and suggests that FT and AT can be an alternative to biopsy in most patients with chronic HCV...
- Evaluation of liver fibrosis: a concise review
Nezam H Afdhal
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02125, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1160-74. 2004
..The limitations of utilization of these markers for both cross-sectional diagnosis of fibrosis and monitoring disease progression or regression are discussed...
- Hepatotoxicity in HIV-1-infected patients receiving nevirapine-containing antiretroviral therapy
Unit of Infectious Diseases, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Hospital Clinic Universitari, Barcelona, Spain
AIDS 15:1261-8. 2001
..To assess the incidence and risk factors for hepatotoxicity associated with nevirapine...
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in type 2 diabetes mellitus
Gastroenterology Center, Jagjivanram Hospital, Mumbai Central, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:854-8. 2004
..CONCLUSION: We conclude that the prevalence of NASH is high in type 2 DM patients and liver biopsy is the only investigation to differentiate between non-alcoholic fatty liver and steatohepatitis...
- Pretreatment of male BALB/c mice with beta-ionone potentiates thioacetamide-induced hepatotoxicity
T C Jeong
Toxicology Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, Taejon, South Korea
Toxicol Lett 105:39-46. 1999
..our present results suggest that beta-ionone may be a useful model inducer of P450 enzyme(s) in studying toxic mechanism of certain chemicals which require metabolic activation by P450s in mice...
- AGA technical review on the evaluation of liver chemistry tests
Richard M Green
Division of Hepatology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Gastroenterology 123:1367-84. 2002
- Autoimmune hepatitis
Edward L Krawitt
Department of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405-0068, USA
N Engl J Med 354:54-66. 2006
- Ambrisentan therapy in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension who discontinued bosentan or sitaxsentan due to liver function test abnormalities
Michael D McGoon
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Chest 135:122-9. 2009
..Because ambrisentan may provide benefits in PAH patients who have discontinued ERA therapy due to LFT abnormalities, we evaluated the safety and efficacy of ambrisentan in this patient population...
- Brief communication: clinical implications of short-term variability in liver function test results
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2223, USA
Ann Intern Med 148:348-52. 2008
..Clinicians sometimes order liver tests as part of a screening examination or general work-up. Current guidelines do not recommend routine retesting of abnormal results in asymptomatic patients...
- Liver enzyme alterations after laparoscopic cholecystectomy
H Erhan Guven
3rd General Surgery Department, Ankara Oncology Research and Training Hospital, Demetevler Ankara, Turkey, 91 6 06500 Y Bahçelievler, Ankara, Turkey
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 16:391-4. 2007
- [Relationship between morphological diagnosis of NASH (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis) and liver function tests in a group of patients with morbid obesity]
Clínica de Obesidad del Departamento de Endocrinología y Metabolismo, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran
Rev Invest Clin 57:505-12. 2005
..Hepatic biochemical test are abnormal. Despite the lack of its own morphological characteristics, NASH can be differentiated from other pathologies, the gold standard for diagnosis is liver biopsy...
- A clinical scoring system for predicting nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in morbidly obese patients
Guilherme M Campos
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0790, USA
Hepatology 47:1916-23. 2008
- Liver damage in obese patients
Antonio Del Gaudio
Department of Surgery, University of Bologna, S Orsola Hospital, Via Massarenti, 9, I 40138 Bologna, Italy
Obes Surg 12:802-4. 2002
..The aim of this study is to determine the hepatic conditions of morbidly obese patients during bariatric surgery by means of a wedge liver biopsy, to avoid any eventual hepatic damage being ascribed to the surgical procedure...
- Transient liver dysfunction after laparoscopic gastrectomy for gastric cancer patients
Department of Surgery I, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, 1 1 Hasama machi, Oita, 879 5593, Japan
World J Surg 31:1115-20. 2007
..The aim of this study was to clarify whether laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy (LADG) is associated with changes in liver function compared with open distal gastrectomy (ODG)...
- Assessment of liver function in primary biliary cirrhosis using Gd-EOB-DTPA-enhanced liver MRI
Department of Clinical Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
HPB (Oxford) 12:567-76. 2010
..The aim of this study was to determine whether the hepatic uptake and excretion of Gd-EOB-DTPA differ between patients with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) and healthy controls, and whether differences could be quantified...
- [Clinical characteristics of factory workers with asymptomatic liver function test abnormalities found on serial health examination]
Kang Mo Kim
Department of Internal Medicine and Liver Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 11:144-56. 2005
BACKGROUND/AIMS: The liver function tests (LFTs), such as aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), and gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase (gamma-GT), have been widely used as screening tests but their low positive ..
- Assessment of hepatic reserve for the indication of hepatic resection: how I do it
Gian Massimo Gazzaniga
Department of Surgery, HPB Unit, Galliera Hospital Genova, Via A. Volta 1, 16100 Genoa, Italy
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 12:27-30. 2005
..However, a good multifactorial system that combines several elements (clinical, laboratory, functional, and volumetric evaluation) does provide sufficient data for determining the safe limits of hepatectomy...
- Motion - all patients with NASH need to have a liver biopsy: arguments for the motion
Jayant A Talwalkar
Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester 55902, USA
Can J Gastroenterol 16:718-21. 2002
..Only histological examination can establish the diagnosis of NASH, grade its severity, determine the prognosis and guide treatment...
- Comparison of postoperative hepatic function after laparoscopic versus open gastric bypass
Ninh T Nguyen
Department of Surgery, Medical Center, University of California Davis, Sacramento, CA, USA
Am J Surg 186:40-4. 2003
..Pneumoperitoneum has been shown to reduce hepatic portal blood flow and alter postoperative hepatic transaminases. This study evaluated the changes in hepatic function after laparoscopic and open gastric bypass (GBP)...
- Traditional kava beverage consumption and liver function tests in a predominantly Tongan population in Hawaii
Amy C Brown
Department of Complementary and Alternative Medicine, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 45:549-56. 2007
To determine the effects of traditionally prepared kava beverages on the liver function tests of regular kava beverage consumers in a population of Tongan and non-Tongan residents of Hawaii (Oahu).
- Genotypes and viremia of hepatitis B and D viruses are associated with outcomes of chronic hepatitis D patients
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Gastroenterology 130:1625-35. 2006
..CONCLUSIONS: In chronic HBV and HDV dual infections, older age, genotype I HDV, and genotype C HBV correlated with adverse outcomes...
- Liver function tests in metastatic uveal melanoma
Department of Ophthalmology, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Ophthalmol 137:236-43. 2004
To evaluate trends in liver function tests before detection of liver metastases from uveal melanoma.
- Measurement of liver function for patients with cirrhosis by 13C-methacetin breath test compared with Child-Pugh score and routine liver function tests
Department of Gastroenterology, Yantai Yuhuangding Hospital, Affiliated to Medical College of Qingdao University, Yantai 264000, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 119:1563-6. 2006
- Health outcomes following liver function testing in primary care: a retrospective cohort study
David J McLernon
Medical Statistics Team, Section of Population Health, University of Aberdeen, Polwarth Building, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Fam Pract 26:251-9. 2009
patients who present with abnormal liver function tests (LFTs) in primary care and no obvious symptoms can be difficult to manage.
- Quantitative assessment of hepatic function and its relevance to the liver surgeon
Department of Hepatobiliary and Transplant Surgery, St James s Hospital, Leeds, UK
J Gastrointest Surg 13:374-85. 2009
- Assessment of hepatic extraction fraction and input relative blood flow using dynamic hepatocyte-specific contrast-enhanced MRI
Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
J Magn Reson Imaging 29:1323-31. 2009
..To assess the feasibility to use dynamic hepatocyte-specific contrast-enhanced MRI (DHCE-MRI) as an imaging-based liver function test, and to compare two methods for deconvolutional analysis (DA) in healthy human subjects...
- Abnormal liver function tests following bone marrow transplantation: aetiology and role of liver biopsy
Department of Gastroenterology, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:157-62. 2004
..We studied the prevalence and aetiology of abnormal liver function tests following bone marrow transplantation and the role of liver biopsy...
- Occupational lead exposure and amino acid profiles and liver function tests in industrial workers
F R Al Neamy
Department of Biochemistry, Al Ain Hospital, Ministry of Health, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Int J Environ Health Res 11:181-8. 2001
..These results might be related to lead exposure and might have affects on the kidneys or liver...
- The prevalence and predictors of elevated serum aminotransferase activity in the United States in 1999-2002
George N Ioannou
Research Enhancement Award Program, Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:76-82. 2006
..This prevalence is very high (7.3%) even among persons without viral hepatitis C or excessive alcohol consumption and is strongly associated with risk factors for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease...
- High adiponectin in chronic liver disease and cholestasis suggests biliary route of adiponectin excretion in vivo
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Hannover Medical School, Carl-Neuberg-Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
J Hepatol 42:666-73. 2005
- Prospective comparison of six non-invasive scores for the diagnosis of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C
Département d Hépato Gastroentérologie, CHU de Grenoble, BP 217, 38043 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
J Hepatol 46:775-82. 2007
..The aim of this study was to compare the diagnostic performance of 6 scores (MP3, Fibrotest, Fibrometer, Hepascore, Forns' score and APRI)...
- Review article: breath testing for human liver function assessment
Department of Internal Medicine, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:1977-96. 2002
- Biomarkers for the prediction of liver fibrosis in patients with chronic alcoholic liver disease
Department of Hepato-Gastroenterology, , Clamart, France
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:167-74. 2005
..CONCLUSIONS: In heavy drinkers, FT is a simple and noninvasive quantitative estimate of liver fibrosis. The use of FT may decrease the need for liver biopsy examination...
- [Pre- and postoperative transaminase changes within the scope of gastric banding in morbid obesity]
, Departement Innere Medizin, Kantonsspital St. Gallen
Praxis (Bern 1994) 90:1459-64. 2001
..The normalisation of elevated liver enzymes correlates to the extent of weight reduction after gastric banding. Our data show reversible liver enzyme abnormalities, correlating to the degree of obesity...
- Liver function tests in patients of pulmonary tuberculosis using four different drug regimens
M Z Akbri
Department of Biochemistry, Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 13:5-10. 2001
..Antituberculous therapy causes derangement of hepatic functions revealed by disturbed liver function tests. The incidence of side effects may vary depending upon a number of factors...
- Prognostic value of (13)C-phenylalanine breath test on predicting survival in patients with chronic liver failure
I Gallardo Wong
Laboratory of Gastrohepatology Research, Hospital de Pediatria, CMN, Siglo XXI, IMSS Av Cuauhtemoc 330, Colonia Doctores, Delegacion Cuauhtemoc, Mexico
World J Gastroenterol 13:4579-85. 2007
..To evaluate the prognostic value of percentage of (13)C-phenylalanine oxidation ((13)C-PheOx) obtained by (13)C-phenylalanine breath test ((13)C-PheBT) on the survival of patients with chronic liver failure...
- Evaluation of abnormal liver function tests
J K Limdi
Tameside General Hospital, Ashton under Lyne, Manchester, UK
Postgrad Med J 79:307-12. 2003
Interpretation of abnormalities in liver function tests is a common problem faced by clinicians. This has become more common with the introduction of automated routine laboratory testing...
- FibroMAX: towards a new universal biomarker of liver disease?
Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, 47 83 boulevard de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 7:481-90. 2007
..The possible causes of false-negative and false-positive results are also better identified. These tests, which are now available in 50 countries, can facilitate the screening and management of the most frequent liver diseases...
- The utility of liver function tests in dengue
Ann Acad Med Singapore 37:82-3. 2008
- 13C-breath tests in hepatology (cytosolic liver function)
Dpt. of Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, Hospital, IRCCS, San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 8:47-9. 2004
..Both BTs are not affected by enzymatic induction due to drugs which may interfere with the results of the classic "microsomial" BTs (such as the aminopyrine or caffeine BTs)...
- Prevalence of hepatitis B and C seromarkers and abnormal liver function tests among hemophiliacs in Guilan (northern province of Iran)
Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases Research Center, Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Rasht, Iran
Med Sci Monit 8:CR797-800. 2002
The aim of this study was to determine the seroprevalence of hepatitis B and C viruses and abnormal liver function tests among hemophiliacs in Guilan province, Iran.
- Cholinesterase and other serum liver enzymes in underweight outpatients with eating disorders
Human Nutrition, Department of Food Science, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
Int J Eat Disord 40:746-50. 2007
..The present study aimed to evaluate serum liver enzymes in underweight outpatients with anorexia nervosa (A-NERV) or eating disorders not otherwise specified (EDNOS)...
- Abdominal ultrasound in the evaluation of the asymptomatic patient with abnormal liver function tests
R F J Browne
Department of Radiology, The Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Ireland
Ir Med J 97:49-50. 2004
We retrospectively evaluated abdominal ultrasound studies of 273 asymptomatic patients with abnormal liver function tests over an 18-month period to assess the value of abdominal ultrasound as an initial investigation...
- Liver function tests: defining what's normal
Community Clinical Sciences Research Division, University of Southampton, B Floor, South Academic Block, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton SO16 6YD
BMJ 328:987. 2004
- Quantitative liver function tests in donors and recipients of living donor liver transplantation
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital Essen, University Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Liver Transpl 12:544-9. 2006
..In the present study we investigated the quantitative liver function tests galactose elimination capacity (GEC), indocyanine green half-life (ICG), and lidocaine half-life as markers ..
- Association of ADIPOR2 with liver function tests in type 2 diabetic subjects
Diabetes, Endocrinology and Nutrition Unit, Dr Josep Trueta Hospital, Girona, Spain
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:2308-13. 2008
..We studied whether common single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in ADIPOR1 and ADIPOR2 are associated with liver function tests (LFTs) in human subjects with various degrees of insulin resistance.
- Quantitative rat liver function test by galactose single point method
T H Young
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Lab Anim 42:495-504. 2008
..The GSP method has been proved to be a simple and useful tool for the quantitative determination of liver function in rats, which can possibly be extended to other animals...
- Liver function critically determines serum retinol-binding protein 4 (RBP4) levels in patients with chronic liver disease and cirrhosis
Hepatology 48:1724-5; author reply 1725-6. 2008
- Serum resistin levels in critically ill patients are associated with inflammation, organ dysfunction and metabolism and may predict survival of non-septic patients
Department of Medicine III, RWTH University Hospital Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Crit Care 13:R95. 2009
..We aimed to examine the correlation of serum resistin concentrations to parameters of inflammation, organ function, metabolism, disease severity and survival in critically ill patients...
- Design and endpoints of clinical trials in hepatocellular carcinoma
Josep M Llovet
HCC Translational Research Lab, Barcelona Clinic Liver Cancer Group, Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, CIBERehd, Institute for Biomedical Investigations August Pi Sunyer, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:698-711. 2008
..These surrogate markers may help to enrich study populations and maximize the cost-benefit ratio of trial execution. Design and conduct of phase 3 trials should be coordinated by centers with appropriate expertise in HCC...
- [13C] phenylalanine breath test and hepatic phenylalanine metabolism enzymes in cirrhotic rats
Department of Gastroenterology, Huashan Hospital Affiliated to Fudan University, Shanghai, PR China
Eur J Clin Invest 35:644-52. 2005
- Current therapy for autoimmune hepatitis
Aldo J Montano Loza
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:202-14. 2007
- Prognostic value of quantitative liver function tests in viral cirrhosis: a prospective study
, Azienda Ospedaliera A. Cardarelli, Napoli, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:713-20. 2006
BACKGROUND AND AIMS: Widespread application of quantitative liver function tests as a prognostic tool is controversial...
- Seasonal variation in liver function tests: a time-series analysis of outpatient data
Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Hongo 2 1 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Ann Clin Biochem 46:377-84. 2009
Long-term physiological variations, such as seasonal variations, affect the screening efficiency at medical checkups. This study examined the seasonal variation in liver function tests using recently described data-mining methods.
- Validity of 13C-phenylalanine breath test to evaluate functional capacity of hepatocyte in patients with liver cirrhosis and acute hepatitis
First Department of Internal Medicine, Iwate Medical University, School of Medicine, 19-1 Uchimaru, Morioka 020-8505, Iwate, Japan
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:851-9. 2005
- Should liver function tests be included in definitions of metabolic syndrome? Evidence from the association between liver function tests, components of metabolic syndrome and prevalent cardiovascular disease
M C Devers
Department of Diabetes, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Diabet Med 25:523-9. 2008
The definition of metabolic syndrome (MS) continues to be debated and does not include abnormal liver function tests (LFTs)...
- Incidence of and risk factors for severe hepatotoxicity associated with antiretroviral combination therapy
Ferdinand W N M Wit
National AIDS Therapy Evaluation Center, Department of Human Retrovirology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Infect Dis 186:23-31. 2002
..In 97% of cases, >or=1 risk factor was present. In HBV-coinfected patients using 3TC, continued use of 3TC should be considered, even if 3TC-resistant HIV strains develop...
- A comparison of the spectrum of chronic hepatitis C virus between Caucasians and African Americans
Richard K Sterling
Division of Gastroenterology, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond 23298 0341, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2:469-73. 2004
..Differences in hepatitis C virus (HCV)-related liver disease between Caucasians and African Americans remain controversial...
- Silent acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in febrile children: does this entity exist?
Department of Paediatrics, Bnai Zion Medical Centre, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Acta Paediatr 93:618-22. 2004
..Our hypothesis is that in sick febrile infants and children, who may also be calorie depleted, there might be an increased hepatic vulnerability to acetaminophen...
- Serum hepatic enzyme manifestations in patients with severe acute respiratory syndrome: retrospective analysis
Hui juan Cui
Chinese Japanese Friendship Hospital, Beijing 100029, China
World J Gastroenterol 10:1652-5. 2004
..To evaluate the hepatic function in patients with severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and possible causes of hepatic disorder in these patients...
- An assessment of statin safety by hepatologists
David E Cohen
Division of Gastroenterology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Am J Cardiol 97:77C-81C. 2006
..The panel was composed of academic hepatologists with clinical and research interests in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, lipid metabolic disorders, and drug hepatotoxicity...
- Parameters obtained by hepatobiliary scintigraphy have significant correlation with biochemical factors early after liver transplantation
H A Kansoul
Division of Transplantation Surgery, Department of Clinical Science, Intervention, and Technology, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Radiol 48:597-604. 2007
..Early postoperative hepatobiliary scintigraphy after liver transplantation is performed worldwide, but data on its significance for graft function are currently limited...
- RAT CYP3A and CYP2B1/2 were not associated with nevirapine-induced hepatotoxicity
The Department of Pharmacology, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 28:423-31. 2006
..This suggested that nevirapine-induced hepatotoxicity is closely associated with enzyme induction, and that liver function tests alone might not be good markers for determining nevirapine-induced hepatotoxicity...
- Hyaluronic acid predicts hepatic fibrosis in children with hepatic disease
Jane L Hartley
Birmingham Children s Hospital, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 43:217-21. 2006
..Hyaluronic acid (HA) is removed by the liver via sinusoidal cell adhesion molecules. This is impeded in fibrosis, leading to a rise in serum HA. As a noninvasive marker of fibrosis, HA may obviate the need for liver biopsy...
- Antipyrine clearance in comparison to conventional liver function tests in hepatitis C virus patients
Pharmacology Department, Theodor Bilharz Research Institute, Egypt
Eur J Pharmacol 569:222-7. 2007
..Blood samples were collected from all subjects for examination, using conventional liver function tests. The pharmacokinetic variables for antipyrine were determined using the two concentration time points ..
- External validation of biochemical indices for noninvasive evaluation of liver fibrosis in HCV chronic hepatitis
Division of Gastroenterology, Hospital Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, IRCCS, San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 100:868-73. 2005
- Splanchnic organ injury during coronary surgery with or without cardiopulmonary bypass: a randomized, controlled trial
Bristol Heart Institute, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 81:97-103. 2006
..We investigated the efficacy of coronary surgery with or without cardiopulmonary bypass in protecting the function of the small intestine, liver, and pancreas...
- Clinical significance of arginase after liver transplantation
Department of General and Transplantation Surgery, Transplantation Institute, Medical University of Warsaw, Poland
Ann Transplant 9:58-60. 2004
..The values showed strong and significant correlation with AST and ALT activities (Pearsons R 0,65 and 0,47 respectively). We conclude that activity of arginase in the serum is an exact test of liver function...
- Strategies for safer liver surgery and partial liver transplantation
Swiss Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary (HPB) Center, Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 356:1545-59. 2007
- The influence of small doses of paracetamol on rabbit liver
Izabela Maciejewska Paszek
Department of Food and Nutrition, Medical University of Silesia, 41 200 Sosnowiec, Jagiellońska 4 Street, Katowice, Poland
Exp Toxicol Pathol 59:139-41. 2007
..It was determined by measuring the concentration of ketone bodies and arterial ketone body ratio (AKBR) value. Even when taken in small doses, paracetamol causes changes in liver metabolism when taken for an extended period of time...
- Incidence and risk factors for liver enzyme elevation during highly active antiretroviral therapy in HIV-HCV co-infected patients: results from the Italian EPOKA-MASTER Cohort
Istituto di Malattie Infettive e Tropicali, Universita degli Studi di Brescia, p le Spedali Civili 1, Brescia, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 5:58. 2005
- Hypoadiponectinemia plays a crucial role in the development of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus independent of visceral adipose tissue
Division of Gastroenterology, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:S15-21. 2007
..Recent evidence has indicated that hypoadiponectinemia is involved in hepatic steatosis and NASH...
- Aqueous garlic extract alleviates ischaemia-reperfusion-induced oxidative hepatic injury in rats
Department of Pharmacology, Marmara University School of Pharmacy, Tibbiye Cad 34668 Istanbul, Turkey
J Pharm Pharmacol 57:145-50. 2005
- Interleukin-10 mediates the protective effect of Linomide by reducing CXC chemokine production in endotoxin-induced liver injury
Department of Surgery, , Lund University, Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 143:865-71. 2004
- Increased liver chemistry in an asymptomatic patient
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts; Gastrointestinal Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:852-8. 2005
- Serum hyaluronan and hyaluronidase: very early markers of toxic liver injury
Division of Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Clin Chim Acta 348:189-97. 2004
..However, levels are increased only transiently, indicating that serial assays are necessary. CONCLUSIONS: Measures of circulating hyaluronidase activity may be used to assess liver damage...
- HIV infection does not affect the performance of noninvasive markers of fibrosis for the diagnosis of hepatitis C virus-related liver disease
Section of Gastroenterology, Boston Medical Center, Boston University, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 40:538-44. 2005
..The aim of the current study was to compare the diagnostic performance and characteristics of a number of noninvasive markers of hepatic fibrosis in populations of hepatitis C virus (HCV)-infected patients with and without HIV infection...
- Prevalence of amiodarone-related hepatotoxicity in 720 Chinese patients with or without baseline liver dysfunction
Leo C C Kum
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, China
Clin Cardiol 29:295-9. 2006
..312). CONCLUSION: The prevalence of SLD in Chinese patients taking oral amiodarone with or without elevated baseline ALT was similar (4.4 vs. 3.7%). It seems that amiodarone may be safely prescribed in patients with elevated baseline ALT...
- [Multicenter clinical study about the action of Fuzheng Huayu Capsule against liver fibrosis with chronic hepatitis B]
Research Institute of Liver Diseases, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 200032, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 1:89-98, 102. 2003
..Fuzheng Huayu Capsule is a safe and effective medicine for the treatment of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis B...
- Antioxidative natural product protect against econazole-induced liver injuries
National Taipei College of Nursing, Taipei 112, Taiwan
Toxicology 196:87-93. 2004
..It could be postulated that the hepatoprotective effect of PEE may be, at least in part, due to their inhibitory ability on membrane lipid peroxidation and free radical formation or due to their free radical scavenging ability...
- Apolipoprotein AI and apolipoprotein E mRNA expression in peripheral white blood cells from patients with orthotopic liver transplantation
Department of Molecular Biology in Medicine, Civil Hospital of Guadalajara, and Health Sciences University Center CUCS, University of Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Liver Int 27:930-7. 2007
..The clinical implication of such changes is unclear, but these could reflect recovery and/or severity of liver damage...
- Hepatoprotective effect of Leucophyllum frutescens on Wistar albino rats intoxicated with carbon tetrachloride
Laboratory of Genetic Engineering and Genomics, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Ann Hepatol 6:251-4. 2007
..The present study scientifically validated the traditional use of L. frutescens for liver disorders. In conclusion the methanol extract of L. frutescens aerial parts could be an important source of hepatoprotective compounds...
- Can we predict the degree of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C patients using routine blood tests in our daily practice?
Ramsey C Cheung
VA Palo Alto Healthcare System, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:827-34. 2008
..To determine the validity of fibrosis indexes based on simple laboratory tests in daily practice...
- Ultrustructural and enzymatic studies of rat liver after acute cadmium exposure
Departments of Histology and Embryology, Clinical Pathomorphology, , , Poland
Rocz Akad Med Bialymst 47:203-12. 2002
..However, a single 5 mumol CdCl2/kg b.w. dose induced only blurring of cell structure in single hepatocytes within the peripheral zone of the lobules, which looked as if they had been filled with pinkish "mush"...
- Liver histology after current intensified therapy for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: microvesicular fatty change and siderosis are the main findings
Paediatric Research Centre, Medical School, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
Med Pediatr Oncol 40:148-54. 2003
..During modern intensified therapy for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) serum liver enzymes reach fairly high levels. Since no recent data on liver histopathology after therapy are available, we conducted a study of the subject...
- Restoration of histoarchitecture in the paracetamol-induced liver damaged rat by earthworm extract, Lampito mauritii (Kinberg)
Division of Vermibiotechnology, Department of Zoology, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, India
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 11:407-11. 2007
..05) decreasing the hepatic marker enzymes--aspartate transaminase, alanine transaminase and alkaline phosphatase similar to silymarin (150 mg/kg b.w. p.o.). Histopathological observations of liver tissues corroborated these findings...
- How to respond to abnormal liver function tests
John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford
Clin Med 2:406-9. 2002
- Nanoparticles formulation of Cuscuta chinensis prevents acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in rats
Feng Lin Yen
Graduate Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Food Chem Toxicol 46:1771-7. 2008
..In conclusion, we suggest that the nanoparticles system can be applied to overcome other water poorly soluble herbal medicines and furthermore to decrease the treatment dosage...
- [Acetaminophen use by chronic alcohol abusers: a therapeutic dose may be too much for the liver]
A H van Mil
Rijnland Ziekenhuis, afd. Interne Geneeskunde en Maag-Darm-Leverziekten, Postbus 4220, 2350 CC Leiderdorp
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 145:1873-6. 2001
..It is recommended that chronic alcohol abusers (more than four alcoholic beverages per day) use no more than 2 g acetaminophen per day...
- Extended experience with glycine for prevention of reperfusion injury after human liver transplantation
Department of Surgery and the Childrens Hospital, Division of Metabolic and Endocrine Disease, Ruprecht-Karls-University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Transplant Proc 34:2307-9. 2002
- Hepatic effects of lovastatin exposure in patients with liver disease: a retrospective cohort study
Andrew L Avins
Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Drug Saf 31:325-34. 2008
..Little is known about the potential adverse hepatic effects of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors ('statins') in patients with existing liver disease; therefore, we examined the risk of liver toxicity with lovastatin exposure in these patients...
- Moringa oleifera Lam prevents acetaminophen induced liver injury through restoration of glutathione level
Pharmacology Unit, Department of Human Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Food Chem Toxicol 46:2611-5. 2008
..The histological hepatocellular deterioration was also evidenced. The results from the present study suggested that the leaves of MO can prevent hepatic injuries from APAP induced through preventing the decline of glutathione level...
- Intermittent total pedicular clamping in hepatic resections in non-cirrhotic patients
Rafael Omar Giovanardi
Department of General Surgery, Universidade de Caxias do Sul and General Hospital, Caxias do Sul, Brazil
Hepatogastroenterology 49:764-9. 2002
..Evaluation of intermittent total pedicular clamping in hepatic resections in non-cirrhotic patients...
- Side effects of statins: hepatitis versus "transaminitis"-myositis versus "CPKitis"
Carlos A Dujovne
Am J Cardiol 89:1411-3. 2002
- Toxic liver injury of transplanted liver: a case report of a 15-year-old boy
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, The Children's Memorial Health Institute, Al. Dzieci Polskich 20, 04-736 Warsaw, Poland
Transplant Proc 34:628. 2002
- A bright liver
Maarouf A Hoteit
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:xxii. 2008