Genomes and Genes
Summary: Passage of food (sometimes in the form of a test meal) through the gastrointestinal tract as measured in minutes or hours. The rate of passage through the intestine is an indicator of small bowel function.
Publications205 found, 100 shown here
- A new tactic to treat postprandial hyperlipidemia in diabetic rats with gastroparesis by improving gastrointestinal transitWeidong Xie
Institute of Medicinal Plant, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100094, China
Eur J Pharmacol 510:113-20. 2005Improvement of gastrointestinal transit was thought to be a new tactic to treat postprandial hypertriglyceridemia in diabetic individuals with gastroparesis...
- Prostanoid production via COX-2 as a causative mechanism of rodent postoperative ileusN T Schwarz
Department of Medicine Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 3550 Terrace Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Gastroenterology 121:1354-71. 2001..This study demonstrates a significant role for cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 and prostanoid production as mechanisms for surgically induced postoperative ileus...
- Prucalopride (Resolor) in the treatment of severe chronic constipation in patients dissatisfied with laxativesJ Tack
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Gut 58:357-65. 2009..To determine the efficacy, impact on quality of life (QOL) and safety of prucalopride, a selective, high-affinity 5-HT(4) receptor agonist, in patients with chronic constipation...
- Clinical trial: the efficacy, impact on quality of life, and safety and tolerability of prucalopride in severe chronic constipation--a 12-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyE M M Quigley
Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 29:315-28. 2009..Chronic constipation may result in disabling symptoms, is often unsatisfactorily treated by laxatives and negatively impacts quality of life (QoL)...
- Gastrointestinal transit, post-prandial lipaemia and satiety following 3 days high-fat diet in menM E Clegg
Faculty of Education and Health Sciences, University of Limerick, Castletroy, Limerick, Ireland, UK
Eur J Clin Nutr 65:240-6. 2011..To date, no studies have shown any alteration in GE following shorter HF diets. The aim of this study was to assess if an HF, high-energy diet of 3 days can adapt gastrointestinal (GI) transit, blood lipids and satiety...
- Prognosis of constipation: clinical factors and colonic transit timeF de Lorijn
Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Emma Children s Hospital Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Arch Dis Child 89:723-7. 2004..Measurement of colonic transit time (CTT) is sometimes used in the evaluation of patients with chronic constipation...
- Normal gastrointestinal transit after colonic resection using epidural analgesia, enforced oral nutrition and laxativeL Basse
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
Br J Surg 88:1498-500. 2001..The aim of this study was to assess the transit rate of the entire gastrointestinal tract after colonic resection with multimodal rehabilitation...
- Double blind, placebo controlled trial of two probiotic strains in interleukin 10 knockout mice and mechanistic link with cytokine balanceJ McCarthy
Department of Medicine, University College Cork, National University of Ireland, Cork, Ireland
Gut 52:975-80. 2003..Attenuation of colitis is associated with a reduced ability to produce Th1-type cytokines systemically and mucosally, while levels of TGF-beta are maintained...
- Moderation of lactulose-induced diarrhea by psyllium: effects on motility and fermentationN Washington
Division of Gastroenterology and Department of Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 67:317-21. 1998..05). Psyllium delays gastric emptying, probably by increasing meal viscosity, and reduces the acceleration of colon transit, possibly by delaying the production of gaseous fermentation products...
- The effect of polyethylene glycol 400 on gastrointestinal transit: implications for the formulation of poorly-water soluble drugsA W Basit
Department of Pharmaceutics, The School of Pharmacy, University of London, UK
Pharm Res 18:1146-50. 2001..a pharmaceutical excipient frequently employed to enhance the solubility and bioavailability of poorly water-soluble drugs, on the gastrointestinal transit of liquid and pellet preparations in human subjects using gamma scintigraphy.
- Functional defecation disorder as a clinical subgroup of chronic constipation: analysis of symptoms and physiological parametersMark T Eltringham
Wansbeck General Hospital, Ashington, Northumberland, UK
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:262-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to use cluster analysis and factor analysis of defecatory symptoms and physiological parameters to look for evidence of subgroups in patients with functional constipation...
- Factor analysis identifies subgroups of constipationPhilip G Dinning
Department of Gastroenterology, St George Hospital, University of New South Wales, Kogarah, NSW 2217, Australia
World J Gastroenterol 17:1468-74. 2011..To determine whether distinct symptom groupings exist in a constipated population and whether such grouping might correlate with quantifiable pathophysiological measures of colonic dysfunction...
- Etiology of portal hypertension may influence gastrointestinal transitR Sadik
Division of Gastroenterology, Institute of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, University of Goteborg, Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 38:1039-44. 2003b>Gastrointestinal transit studies have shown contradictory results in patients with portal hypertension. We have studied gastric emptying. small-bowel transit and colonic transit in patients with portal hypertension...
- Effect of centrally administered apelin-13 on gastric emptying and gastrointestinal transit in miceShuang Yu Lv
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Life Science, Lanzhou University, 222 Tian Shui South Road, Lanzhou 730000, PR China
Peptides 32:978-82. 2011..The present study was designed to investigate the effect of central apelin-13 on gastric emptying and gastrointestinal transit in mice. Intracerebroventricular (i.c.v...
- The pharmacological effects of Daikenchuto, a traditional herbal medicine, on delayed gastrointestinal transit in rat postoperative ileusYohei Tokita
Central Research Laboratory, Tsumura and Co, Ibaraki, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 104:303-10. 2007..POI was induced by laparotomy with manipulation of the gastrointestine under anesthesia, and gastrointestinal transit was calculated by migration of Evans blue. Daikenchuto (270 - 2,700 mg/kg, p.o...
- Effect of bowel cleansing on colonic transit in constipation due to slow transit or evacuation disorderC E J Sloots
Department of Gastroenterology of the 'Vrije Universiteit' Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurogastroenterol Motil 14:55-61. 2002..However, because in an infrequent defecation pattern, the influence of faecal impaction is considerable, CTT should be applied with care for critical clinical decisions in the treatment of constipation...
- Evaluation of gastrointestinal transit in clinical practice: position paper of the American and European Neurogastroenterology and Motility SocietiesS S C Rao
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242 1009, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 23:8-23. 2011..Assessment of regional and/or whole gut transit times can provide direct measurements and diagnostic information to explain the cause of symptoms, and plan therapy...
- Involvement of mu-opioid receptors in antinociception and inhibition of gastrointestinal transit induced by 7-hydroxymitragynine, isolated from Thai herbal medicine Mitragyna speciosaKenjiro Matsumoto
Laboratory of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Josai International University, 1 Gumyo, Togane, Chiba 283 8555, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 549:63-70. 2006..In the present study, we investigated the mechanism of antinociception and the inhibitory effect on gastrointestinal transit of 7-hydroxymitragynine, and compared its effects with those of morphine...
- Do stool form and frequency correlate with whole-gut and colonic transit? Results from a multicenter study in constipated individuals and healthy controlsRichard J Saad
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 105:403-11. 2010..The aim of this study was to assess the correlation between stool characteristics (form and frequency) and gut transit in constipated and healthy adults...
- Gastrointestinal transit and mucoadhesion of colloidal suspensions of Lycopersicon esculentum L. and Lotus tetragonolobus lectin-PLA microsphere conjugates in ratsM J Montisci
Laboratoire de Pharmacotechnie et Biopharmacie, UMR 8612, , , , France
Pharm Res 18:829-37. 2001..These results could be attributed both to unfavorable physicochemical characteristics of the conjugates and to premature adsorption of soluble mucin glycoproteins, preventing any further specific adhesion...
- The herbal medicine, Dai-Kenchu-to, accelerates delayed gastrointestinal transit after the operation in ratsHiroyuki Fukuda
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27705, USA
J Surg Res 131:290-5. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: DKT accelerates delayed GI transit induced by intestinal manipulation with and without concomitant morphine administration. DKT treatment may be useful for the patients with POI...
- Prolonged gastrointestinal transit in a patient with a glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1- and -2-producing neuroendocrine tumorPatricia L Brubaker
Departments of Physiology, University of Toronto, Room 3366 Medical Sciences Building, 1 King s College Circle, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3078-83. 2002..two of the intestinal proglucagon-derived peptides, glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-1 and -2, and delayed gastrointestinal transit, was characterized in a patient with a neuroendocrine proglucagon-derived peptide tumor...
- Omeprazole-induced slowing of gastrointestinal transit in mice can be countered with tegaserodAlan Cowan
Department of Pharmacology, Temple University School of Medicine, 3420 N Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 517:127-31. 2005..These results show that omeprazole reduces aboral transit of luminal contents through the stomach and small bowel of mice and that this delay is reversed by tegaserod...
- Summary of probiotic activities of Bifidobacterium lactis HN019Mary Ellen Sanders
Dairy and Food Culture Technologies, 7119 S Glencoe Ct, Centennial, CO 80122, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 40:776-83. 2006..HN019 is a well-characterized probiotic strain with documented probiotic effects of meaningful magnitude especially in the area of immune system modulation...
- Pharmacodynamic effects of a novel prokinetic 5-HT receptor agonist, ATI-7505, in humansM Camilleri
Department of Health Sciences Research, Division of Biostatistics, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 19:30-8. 2007..056) with the 10 and 20 mg t.i.d. doses. No safety issues were identified. ATI-7505 accelerates overall colonic transit and tends to accelerate GE and AC emptying and loosen stool consistency...
- Effects of Velusetrag (TD-5108) on gastrointestinal transit and bowel function in health and pharmacokinetics in health and constipationM L Manini
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:42-9, e7-8. 2010..We assessed effects of Velusetrag on gastrointestinal transit and compared its pharmacokinetics in healthy volunteers (HV) and chronic constipation (CC) patients...
- Role of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and delayed gastrointestinal transit time in cirrhotic patients with minimal hepatic encephalopathyAnkur Gupta
Department of Internal Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160012, India
J Hepatol 53:849-55. 2010..This cross-sectional study was carried out to elucidate the role of bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine and delayed intestinal transit among patients with MHE...
- Error analysis of classic colonic transit time estimatesM Bouchoucha
Hopital Laennec, Laboratory of Digestive Physiology, 75007 Paris, France
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 279:G520-7. 2000..The relative error could easily reach 100% independent of the site of colonic transit delay. The normal values of total CTT are then 44.3+/-29.3 instead of 30.1+/-23.6 h for males and 68.2+/-54.4 instead of 47.1+/-28.2 h for females...
- Slow transit constipation: a disorder of pelvic autonomic nerves?C H Knowles
Academic Department of Surgery, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Whitechapel, UK
Dig Dis Sci 46:389-401. 2001..We further present evidence for possible pathogenetic mechanisms underlying pelvic autonomic neuropathy in chronic idiopathic STC...
- A randomized controlled trial of a probiotic, VSL#3, on gut transit and symptoms in diarrhoea-predominant irritable bowel syndromeH J Kim
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research Program, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 17:895-904. 2003AIM: To investigate the effects of a probiotic formulation, VSL#3, on gastrointestinal transit and symptoms of patients with Rome II irritable bowel syndrome with predominant diarrhoea...
- Influence of age and body size on gastrointestinal transit time of radiopaque markers in healthy dogsMickaël P Weber
Laboratory of Nutrition and Endocrinology, National Veterinary School of Nantes, France
Am J Vet Res 63:677-82. 2002....
- Agarwood induced laxative effects via acetylcholine receptors on loperamide-induced constipation in miceMamoru Kakino
Department of Biofunctional Evaluation, Molecular Pharmacology, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, Gifu, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74:1550-5. 2010..These findings indicate that EEAs exerted a laxative effect via acetylcholine receptors in the mouse constipation model...
- Nonadditive interactions between animal and plant diet items in an omnivorous freshwater turtle Trachemys scriptaSarah S Bouchard
Department of Zoology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 144:77-85. 2006..These apparent nonadditive interactions may be due to differences in transit time of duckweed and shrimp. We believe this is the first evidence of two diet items producing opposing nonadditive effects when fed in different ratios...
- Colonic response to food in constipationMichel Bouchoucha
Laboratoire de Physiologie Digestive, Hopital Broussais, Universite Paris V, 96 rue Didot, 75014 Paris, France
Int J Colorectal Dis 21:826-33. 2006..Colonic response to food is possibly abnormal in constipation...
- Development of tolerance to the inhibitory effect of loperamide on gastrointestinal transit in miceKoichi Tan-No
Department of Pharmacology, Tohoku Pharmaceutical University, 4 4 1 Komatsushima Aoba ku, Sendai 981 8558, Japan
Eur J Pharm Sci 20:357-63. 2003..loperamide, a peripheral mu-opioid receptor agonist and well-recognized antidiarrheal agent, on mouse gastrointestinal transit was compared with that of morphine in order to examine the development of tolerance to mu-opioid receptor ..
- Effect of N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor blockade on neuronal plasticity and gastrointestinal transit delay induced by ischemia/reperfusion in ratsF Calcina
CURE Digestive Diseases Research Center, Division of Digestive Diseases, Building 115, Room 224, Veterans Administration Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, 11301 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90073, USA
Neuroscience 134:39-49. 2005..The aims of this study were to investigate the effect of intestinal ischemia on gastrointestinal transit and on the expression of enteric transmitters in the rat, and whether the glutamate N-methyl-d-aspartate ..
- Selective jejunal manipulation causes postoperative pan-enteric inflammation and dysmotilityNicolas T Schwarz
, Bonn, Germany
Gastroenterology 126:159-69. 2004..In vivo gastric emptying, gastrointestinal transit, and in vitro colonic circular muscle recordings were measured...
- Effects of cannabinoid receptor-2 activation on accelerated gastrointestinal transit in lipopolysaccharide-treated ratsRonald Mathison
Gastrointestinal Research Group, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Br J Pharmacol 142:1247-54. 2004..In this study, we examined whether CB(2) receptor activation is involved in the regulation of gastrointestinal transit in rats...
- Survival of lactococci during passage through mouse digestive tractHiromi Kimoto
Department of Animal Products, National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science, Tsukuba Norin Danchi, Ibaraki, Japan
Can J Microbiol 49:707-11. 2003..If administered daily, viable strain N7 may exist continuously in the intestine. The effect of strain N7 on intestinal microbial balance and on animal health will be the subject of a further study...
- Role of progesterone signaling in the regulation of G-protein levels in female chronic constipationZuo-Liang Xiao
Department of Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital and Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Gastroenterology 128:667-75. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: Slow transit chronic constipation in women may be caused by down-regulation of contractile G proteins and up-regulation of inhibitory G proteins, probably caused by overexpression of progesterone receptors...
- Complete small-bowel transit in patients undergoing capsule endoscopy: determining factors and improvement with metoclopramideWarwick Selby
AW Morrow Gastroenterology and Liver Centre, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Gastrointest Endosc 61:80-5. 2005..9 +/- 9.0 minutes vs. 30.8 +/- 7.5 minutes; p=0.025). CONCLUSIONS: Metoclopramide increases the likelihood of a complete small-bowel examination in patients undergoing capsule endoscopy...
- In vitro assessment of the upper gastrointestinal tolerance of potential probiotic dairy propionibacteriaYang Huang
School of Applied Sciences, The University of Newcastle, Ourimbah, NSW 2258, Australia
Int J Food Microbiol 91:253-60. 2004....
- Effect of oral erythromycin on gastric and small bowel transit time of capsule endoscopyWai K Leung
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital, 30 32 Ngan Shing Street, Shatin, Hong Kong, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:4865-8. 2005..To determine the effect of oral erythromycin on gastric and small bowel transit time of capsule endoscopy...
- The relationship between symptoms, body mass index, gastrointestinal transit and stool frequency in patients with irritable bowel syndromeRiadh Sadik
Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg 41345, Sweden
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:102-8. 2010..The aim of this prospective study was to characterize the relationships between symptoms in IBS, GI transit, as a measure of GI motility, and BMI...
- Acylated oleanane-type triterpene saponins with acceleration of gastrointestinal transit and inhibitory effect on pancreatic lipase from flower buds of chinese tea plant (Camellia sinensis)Masayuki Yoshikawa
Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina ku, Kyoto 607 8412, Japan
Chem Biodivers 6:903-15. 2009..O. KUNTZE; Fujian Province) were found to exhibit accelerating effects on gastrointestinal transit in mice and inhibitory effects against pancreatic lipase...
- Clinical trial: effectiveness of chewing-gum in accelerating capsule endoscopy transit time--a prospective randomized, controlled pilot studyP Apostolopoulos
Department of Gastroenterology, NIMTS Hospital, Athens, Greece
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 28:405-11. 2008..Capsule endoscopy (CE) fails to reach the caecum in approximately 20% of patients. Data suggest that chewing-gum, simulating sham feeding, provokes the cephalic phase of gastrointestinal (GI) motor response and may increase GI motility...
- Ghrelin improves delayed gastrointestinal transit in alloxan-induced diabetic miceWen Cai Qiu
Department of General Surgery, The Affiliated Sixth Hospital of Medical School, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200233, China
World J Gastroenterol 14:2572-7. 2008To investigate the effects of ghrelin on delayed gastrointestinal transit in alloxan-induced diabetic mice.
- The effect of mosapride citrate on proximal and distal colonic motor function in the guinea-pig in vitroH S Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei Institute of Gastroenterology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Neurogastroenterol Motil 20:169-76. 2008..The different distribution of neuronal and muscular 5-HT(4) receptors may support these findings. Therefore, mosapride may be a useful alternative to tegaserod and cisapride for constipation...
- Effect of mosapride on gastrointestinal transit time and diagnostic yield of capsule endoscopyWei Wei
Department of Gastroenterology, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Institute of Digestive Diseases, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1605-8. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine the effect of oral mosapride on gastrointestinal transit time and the diagnostic yield of CE.
- Effects of laxative and N-acetylcysteine on mucus accumulation, bacterial load, transit, and inflammation in the cystic fibrosis mouse small intestineRobert C De Lisle
Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 293:G577-84. 2007..These results suggest that both mucus accumulation and slowed interdigestive small intestinal transit contribute to SIBO in the CF intestine...
- Altered transit and bacterial overgrowth in the cystic fibrosis mouse small intestineRobert C De Lisle
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 293:G104-11. 2007..In conclusion, small intestinal transit was significantly slower in CF mice, and this is likely a major factor in SIBO in CF...
- Effect of a selective chloride channel activator, lubiprostone, on gastrointestinal transit, gastric sensory, and motor functions in healthy volunteersMichael Camilleri
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research Group, Mayo Clinic, Charlton 8 110, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G942-7. 2006..Thus the ClC-2 activator lubiprostone accelerates small intestinal and colonic transit, which confers potential in the treatment of constipation...
- Biofeedback is superior to laxatives for normal transit constipation due to pelvic floor dyssynergiaGiuseppe Chiarioni
Gastrointestinal Rehabilitation Division, Valeggio sul Mincio Hospital, Azienda Ospedaliera and University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Gastroenterology 130:657-64. 2006..Biofeedback should become the treatment of choice for this common and easily diagnosed type of constipation...
- Gastrointestinal transit, release and plasma pharmacokinetics of a new oral budesonide formulationM Brunner
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Division of Clinical Pharmacokinetics, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Br J Clin Pharmacol 61:31-8. 2006The aims of the study were to: (1) evaluate the gastrointestinal transit, release and absorption of budesonide from tablets with a new multimatrix formulation (MMX) designed to release the drug throughout the whole colon, and (2) assess ..
- Comparative evaluation of gastrointestinal transit and immune response between laparoscopic and open gastrectomy in a porcine modelKazuki Ueda
Division of Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, NY 10021, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 10:39-45. 2006..Adhesion formation was significantly less in the lap group. We concluded that laparoscopic gastrectomy resulted in faster bowel recovery and less immune suppression...
- Escin: inhibiting inflammation and promoting gastrointestinal transit to attenuate formation of postoperative adhesionsFenghua Fu
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Yantai University, Yantai, P R, 264005, China
World J Surg 29:1614-20; discussion 1621-2. 2005..acid in a mouse model of acute inflammation, granuloma formation in a subchronic inflammatory rat model, gastrointestinal transit in rats with intestinal paralysis, intestinal motility in postoperative patients, and postoperative ..
- Capsule endoscopy: improving transit time and image viewZvi Fireman
Department of Gastroenterology, Hillel Yaffe, Hadera, Israel
World J Gastroenterol 11:5863-6. 2005..To evaluate the effect of various methods of small bowel preparation on the transit time and the quality of visualization of the entire small bowel mucosa...
- Effect of alvimopan and codeine on gastrointestinal transit: a randomized controlled studyJonathan Gonenne
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research Program, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:784-91. 2005..Alvimopan alone accelerates colonic transit, suggesting that mu-opiate mechanisms participate in the physiologic control of colonic transit...
- Review article: bifidobacteria as probiotic agents -- physiological effects and clinical benefitsC Picard
Danone Vitapole, Centre de Recherche Daniel Carasso, Nutrivaleur, Palaiseau, France
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 22:495-512. 2005..Bifidobacteria may exert protective intestinal actions through various mechanisms, and represent promising advances in the fields of prophylaxis and therapy...
- Actions of prolonged ghrelin infusion on gastrointestinal transit and glucose homeostasis in humansY Falkén
Division of Surgery, Department of Clinical Sciences, Danderyd Hospital, Karolinska Institute, SE 182 88 Stockholm, Sweden
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:e192-200. 2010..The aim of this study was to evaluate effects of intravenous ghrelin on gastrointestinal motility and glucose homeostasis during a 6-h infusion in humans...
- The effect of low-dose erythromycin on whole gastrointestinal transit time of preterm infantsC Costalos
Department of Neonatal Medicine, Alexandra General Hospital Athens, 130 Artemidos Str, Paleo Faliro 17562, Greece
Early Hum Dev 65:91-6. 2001The aim of the study was to determine the effect of a low oral dose of erythromycin on whole gastrointestinal transit time [WGTT]. Erythromycin [EM] [1...
- Glucagon-like peptide 2 improves nutrient absorption and nutritional status in short-bowel patients with no colonP B Jeppesen
Department of Medicine, Section of Gastroenterology, Rigshospitalet, University Hospital of Copenhagen, Denmark
Gastroenterology 120:806-15. 2001..5 kg/day) and energy (>2.3 MJ/day) and no postprandial secretion of GLP-2...
- Tegaserod, a 5-HT4 receptor partial agonist, accelerates gastric emptying and gastrointestinal transit in healthy male subjectsL Degen
Division of Gastroenterology, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 15:1745-51. 2001..Tegaserod can act as a promotile agent throughout the gastrointestinal tract...
- Bifidobacterium animalis strain DN-173 010 shortens the colonic transit time in healthy women: a double-blind, randomized, controlled studyP Marteau
Gastroenterology Department, European Hospital Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:587-93. 2002..A previous study has suggested that Bifidobacterium animalis DN-173 010 shortens the colonic transit time in women...
- Response to a behavioural treatment, biofeedback, in constipated patients is associated with improved gut transit and autonomic innervationA V Emmanuel
St Mark's Hospital, Northwick Park, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, UK
Gut 49:214-9. 2001..Successful outcome after biofeedback treatment is associated with improved activity of the direct cerebral innervation to the gut and improved gut transit. This effect is gut specific; cardiovascular autonomic reflexes were not altered...
- Hydrolysed protein accelerates the gastrointestinal transport of formula in preterm infantsW A Mihatsch
Department of Pediatrics, University of Ulm, Germany
Acta Paediatr 90:196-8. 2001..The present trial investigated whether a protein hydrolysate formula reduces the gastrointestinal transit time in preterm infants...
- Effect of vanilloid drugs on gastrointestinal transit in miceA A Izzo
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 132:1411-6. 2001..The effect of piperine involves capsaicin-sensitive neurones, but not vanilloid receptors, while the effect of anandamide involves cannabinoid CB(1), but not vanilloid receptors...
- Opioid-induced bowel dysfunction: pathophysiology and potential new therapiesAndrea Kurz
Department of Anesthesiology, Outcomes Research Institute, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Drugs 63:649-71. 2003..In addition, recent clinical studies with alvimopan suggest that it may normalise bowel function without blocking opioid analgesia in abdominal laparotomy patients with opioid-related postoperative ileus...
- Modulation of gastric emptying and gastrointestinal transit in rats through intestinal cannabinoid CB(1) receptorsMarco Landi
Research Center Sanofi Midy, Sanofi-Synthelabo, SPA, Via G.B. Piranesi 38, 20137 Milan, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 450:77-83. 2002We studied the delay in gastric emptying and gastrointestinal transit induced by the cannabinoid receptor agonists (+)-WIN 55,212-2 (R(+)-[2,3-dihydro-5-methyl-3-[(4-morpholinyl)methyl]pyrrolo[1,2,3-de]-1,4-benzoxazin-yl]-(1-naphthalenyl)..
- Central and peripheral cannabinoid modulation of gastrointestinal transit in physiological states or during the diarrhoea induced by croton oilA A Izzo
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, via D Montesano 49, 80131 Naples, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 129:1627-32. 2000..p.) or intracerebroventricularly (i.c.v.) on upper gastrointestinal transit in control and in croton oil-treated mice...
- Oro-caecal transit time and intra-luminal pH in cystic fibrosis patients with distal intestinal obstruction syndromeA M Dalzell
Royal Liverpool Children s Hospital, Alder Hey, Liverpool, UK
Acta Univ Carol Med (Praha) 36:159-60. 1990..The prolonged oro-caecal transit time observed in cystic fibrosis patients with DIOS may contribute to the syndrome, however intraluminal pH is unlikely to be a factor in the aetiology of DIOS...
- Development and application of an in vitro methodology to determine the transit tolerance of potentially probiotic Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species in the upper human gastrointestinal tractW P Charteris
SET Consultants Ltd, Douglas, Cork, Ireland
J Appl Microbiol 84:759-68. 1998An in vitro methodology which mimics in vivo human upper gastrointestinal transit was developed...
- mu-Opioid receptor-knockout mice: the role of mu-opioid receptor in gastrointestinal transitS Roy
Department of Pharmacology, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 56:281-3. 1998The role of mu-opioid receptor in gastrointestinal transit was investigated using mu-opioid receptor knockout mice (MOR-KO)...
- Effect of lipopolysaccharide on diarrhea and gastrointestinal transit in mice: roles of nitric oxide and prostaglandin E2Yu-Chih Liang
Graduate Institute of Biomedical Technology, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:357-61. 2005AIM: To investigate the effect of lipopolysaccharide (LPS) on the diarrheogenic activity, gastrointestinal transit (GIT), and intestinal fluid content and the possible role of nitric oxide (NO) and prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) in ..
- Ghrelin improves burn-induced delayed gastrointestinal transit in ratsH S Sallam
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine and Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R253-7. 2007Delayed gastrointestinal transit is common in patients with severe burn. Ghrelin is a potent prokinetic peptide. We aimed at testing the effect of ghrelin on burn-induced delayed gastrointestinal transit in rats...
- Capsule endoscopy for the evaluation of patients with chronic abdominal painE Bardan
Department of Gastroenterology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center and Tel-Aviv University, Sackler School of Medicine, Israel
Endoscopy 35:688-9. 2003..All patients tolerated the capsule well and had no adverse effects. CONCLUSION: Capsule endoscopy did not seem to have any significant clinical value in the evaluation of our patients with obscure chronic abdominal pain...
- Reproducibility of colonic transit study in patients with chronic constipationY S Nam
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309-1743, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 44:86-92. 2001..Because of this poor correlation coefficient, in patients with colonic inertia, consideration should be given to repeating the colonic transit study before colectomy to help secure the diagnosis and improve outcome...
- Severe constipationArnold Wald
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:432-5. 2005
- Normal aspects of colorectal motility and abnormalities in slow transit constipationGabrio Bassotti
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Section, Dept of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Perugia Medical School, Strada del Cimitero 2 a, 06131 San Marco, Perugia, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 11:2691-6. 2005..These data have helped in elucidating, although only in part, some pathophysiological mechanisms of chronic constipation, and especially of the STC subtype...
- Smooth muscle inclusion bodies in slow transit constipationC H Knowles
Academic Department of Surgery, St Bartholomew's and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Whitechapel, London E1 1BB, UK
J Pathol 193:390-7. 2001..This study demonstrates that inclusion body myopathy is identifiable in patients with STC and that it may arise secondary to denervation...
- Loss of enteric dopaminergic neurons and associated changes in colon motility in an MPTP mouse model of Parkinson's diseaseGrant Anderson
Department of Neurology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Exp Neurol 207:4-12. 2007..They provide insight into the impact of dopaminergic dysfunction on gastrointestinal motility and a benchmark for assessment of other PD model systems...
- Colonic manometry via appendicostomy shows reduced frequency, amplitude, and length of propagating sequences in children with slow-transit constipationMichael P Stanton
Department of Surgical Research, Royal Children's Hospital, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
J Pediatr Surg 40:1138-45. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: Despite the small numbers available to be studied, we found that children with STC in whom an appendicostomy had been placed show significant abnormalities in pancolonic motor function...
- Effects of regular physical activity on defecation pattern in middle-aged patients complaining of chronic constipationAnneke M De Schryver
Gastrointestinal Research Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:422-9. 2005..05). CONCLUSIONS: In middle-aged inactive subjects with symptoms of chronic constipation, it is advisable to promote regular physical activity since it improves both the defecation pattern and rectosigmoid or total colonic transit time...
- Symptoms and pathophysiological correlations in patients with constipation and functional dyspepsiaGiovanni Sarnelli
Gastroenterologia, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale, , Napoli, Italy
Digestion 71:225-30. 2005..Although motor abnormalities of both colon and proximal GI tract regions existed in the subset of constipated dyspeptic patients, they did not seem associated with the genesis of different dyspeptic symptoms...
- A pilot study of the effects of sildenafil on stool characteristics, colon transit, anal sphincter function, and rectal sensation in healthy menMark Milone
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198, USA
Dig Dis Sci 50:1005-11. 2005..We conclude that daily administration of sildenafil is well tolerated and results in alterations in colorectal function...
- Luminally released serotonin stimulates colonic motility and accelerates colonic transit in ratsKiyoshi Tsukamoto
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 293:R64-9. 2007..These results suggest that luminally released 5-HT from EC cells plays an important role in regulating colonic motility in rats...
- Gastric emptying and gastrointestinal transit of liquid throughout the first month after thoracic spinal cord transection in awake ratsC L Rodrigues
Departamento de Fisiologia e Farmacologia, , Fortaleza, Brazil
Dig Dis Sci 46:1604-9. 2001..We studied the gastric emptying (GE) and gastrointestinal transit of liquid throughout the first month after thoracic SCT...
- Alterations in the colonic flora and intestinal permeability and evidence of immune activation in chronic constipationI L Khalif
State Scientific Center for Coloproctology, Moscow, Russia
Dig Liver Dis 37:838-49. 2005..Relief of constipation tends to normalise these findings suggesting that these changes are secondary to, rather than a cause of, constipation...
- Slow transit constipation: a functional disorder becomes an enteric neuropathyGabrio Bassotti
World J Gastroenterol 12:4609-13. 2006..In the present article we will discuss these evidences, and will try to put them in relation with the abnormal motor function of the large bowel documented in this pathological condition...
- Gastrointestinal transit and anorectal manometry in children with colonic substance P deficiencyS Treepongkaruna
Departments of Gastroenterology and Clinical Nutrition, Royal Children's Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:624-30. 2001..The aim of this study was to characterize gastrointestinal transit (GIT), anorectal manometry (ARM) and electromyographic (EMG) changes in these children...
- Influence of long-term administration of lactulose and Saccharomyces boulardii on the colonic generation of phenolic compounds in healthy human subjectsVicky De Preter
Department of Gastrointestinal Research, University Hospital Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Am Coll Nutr 25:541-9. 2006..boulardii intake. CONCLUSION: The results obtained in present study have indicated that colonic amino acid fermentation can be reduced by the administration of lactulose as a fermentable carbohydrate...
- [No pain--no gain!]S Muller-Lissner
Park Klinik Weissensee, Berlin
Z Gastroenterol 44:270-1. 2006
- Simultaneous assessment of the intraluminal pressure and transit time of the colon using a telemetry techniqueW Q Zhang
Institute of Medical Precise Instrumentation, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, PR China
Physiol Meas 28:141-8. 2007..89, p < 0.05). The clinical study proved both the reliability and the noninvasiveness of the system. This capsule-style manometric system may represent a useful tool for the study of physiology and pathology of colonic motor disorders...
- Antegrade continence enemas in the treatment of slow-transit constipationJ Marshall
F. Douglas Stephens Surgical Research Laboratory, Murdoch Children's Research Institute, Department of General Surgery, Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Pediatr Surg 36:1227-30. 2001..CONCLUSION: Malone appendicostomy does improve the well being of patients with slow transit constipation, but the advantages are less dramatic than in children with normal motility...
- Effect of atilmotin on gastrointestinal transit in healthy subjects: a randomized, placebo-controlled studyM-I Park
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research C.E.N.T.E.R. Program, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 18:28-36. 2006..v. atilmotin (BAX-ACC-1638, a novel motilin agonist, circulating t(1/2) < 10 min) on gastrointestinal transit in humans using a randomized, parallel-group, dose-response double-blind study of i.v...
- Long-term functional assessment of antegrade colonic enema for combined incontinence and constipation using a modified Marsh and Kiff techniqueDonato F Altomare
Department of Emergency and Organ Transplantation, General Surgery and Liver Transplantation Unit, University of Bari, Piazza G Cesare, 11 70124, Bari, and Department of Surgical Unit, Ospedale Moscati, Avellino, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 50:1023-31. 2007..Malone antegrade colonic enema enables periodic colonic emptying, thus preventing uncontrolled passage of feces and constipation...
- Dietary fiber intake, stool frequency and colonic transit time in chronic functional constipation in childrenE V Guimarães
Setor de Gastroenterologia Pediátrica, Departamento de Pediatria, Hospital de Clinicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 34:1147-53. 2001..Patients with normal and prolonged colonic transit time differ in terms of stool frequency...
- Stressin1-A, a potent corticotropin releasing factor receptor 1 (CRF1)-selective peptide agonistJean Rivier
The Clayton Foundation Laboratories for Peptide Biology, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, 10010 North Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Med Chem 50:1668-74. 2007..Stressin1-A, injected intraperitoneally in rats, induced fecal pellet output (a CRF1 receptor-mediated response) and did not influence gastric emptying and blood pressure (CRF2 receptor-mediated responses)...
- Effect of subtotal colectomy on gastric emptying of a solid meal in slow-transit constipationR M Mollen
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Nijmegen, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Dis Colon Rectum 44:1189-95. 2001..CONCLUSION: Despite a reduction in upper gut symptoms, total abdominal colectomy and ileorectal anastomosis does not improve delayed gastric emptying in patients with idiopathic slow-transit constipation...
- Small intestinal manometry in patients with systemic sclerosisKristina Sjolund
Department of Internal Medicine, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:1205-12. 2005....
- [Intestinal function tests]J Keller
Israelitisches Krankenhaus, Hamburg
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:1433-8. 2005..Recently developed 13C breath tests using stable, non-radioactive substrates may extend our diagnostic options considerably and may allow more detailed information about intestinal (mal-)functions as a prerequisite for optimized therapy...
- Gastrointestinal Transit Measurement SystemDAVID KYNOR; Fiscal Year: 2006..In many patients, measurement of gastrointestinal transit can provide important diagnostic information...
- Optimization of HPMPA and CDV Analogs for Treatment of SmallpoxKarl Y Hostetler; Fiscal Year: 2010..to evaluate the effects of chemical structure on their metabolic stability in monkey liver S9 fractions, gastrointestinal transit and toxicity and test them in lethal animal models of poxvirus disease including, ectromelia, cowpox and ..
- mu Opioid Receptor Function in the Enteric Nervous SystemCatia Sternini; Fiscal Year: 2007..N-Methyl-D-Aspartate receptors (NMDA-Rs) are likely to be involved in the Â¿OR-mediated impairment of gastrointestinal transit induced by prolonged Â¿OR activation...
- Food Rheology and Exercise in Aging HumansWAYNE CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., glucose, insulin, leptin, neuropeptide Y, cholecystokinin and gastrointestinal transit time)...
- GDNF in the Enteric Nervous SystemYun Xia; Fiscal Year: 2007..Human trials showed evidence of a prokinetic action on gastrointestinal transit. The general scientific aim of the proposed work is to understand how GDNF works in the "brain-in-the-gut"..
- BIOCHEMICAL CHARACTERIZATION OF OPIOID BINDING SITESGavril Pasternak; Fiscal Year: 1993..Furthermore, mu2 receptors mediate morphine's respiratory depression and inhibition of gastrointestinal transit. More recent work has suggested multiple kappa subtypes as well...
- Food Rheology and Exercise in Aging HumansWAYNE CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2005..e., insulin, leptin, cholecystokinin, glucagon-like peptide, apolipoprotein A-IV, ghrelin, glucose, and gastrointestinal transit time). Study 3 will assess the clinical implications of the chronic intake of liquid vs...
- Morphine Tolerance in Barrestin-2 KO Mice: Beyond PainLaura Bohn; Fiscal Year: 2006..questions: AIM I: To test whether morphine tolerance occurs in the suppression of respiration or gastrointestinal transit in mice that lack morphine antinociceptive tolerance...
- Triggering Mechanisms of Post-Operative IleusAnthony Bauer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together these events succeed in delaying gastrointestinal transit, decrease local neuromuscular function, and activate neurogenic inhibitory pathways that suppress ..
- OPIATE RECEPTOR PHARMACOLOGYGavril Pasternak; Fiscal Year: 2007..Sigma1 receptors have been implicated in the modulation of opioid analgesia, but not gastrointestinal transit. Sigma1 receptor antagonists potentiate opioid analgesia and eliminate many of the differences in ..
- PHARMACOLOGY OF OPIOID RECEPTOR SUBTYPESGavril Pasternak; Fiscal Year: 1993..of opiate receptors in other opioid actions, particularly respiratory depression and inhibition of gastrointestinal transit. Finally, we hope to examine the interactions of nonopioid drugs upon opioid analgesia and other actions...
- Pharmacogenomics of Gastric Function & Weight in ObesityMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will also identify physiological and genetic factors that predict therapeutic success in the treatment of obesity with sibutramine. ..
- ALPHA-2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL OF COLONIC FUNCTION IN IBSMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ALPHA 2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL OF COLONIC FUNCTION IN IBSMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- ALPHA 2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL IN IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROMEMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2007..Significance: This project will characterize pharmacogenetic mechanisms determining the response to clonidine through studies of candidate genes that control alpha2-adrenoreceptor function and norepinephrine transport in IBS. ..
- Pharmacogenomics of Gastric Function & Weight in ObesityMICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Cannabinoid Mechanisms in Human Gastrointestinal Motor and Sensory FunctionsMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2009..to determine whether CB receptor modulation influences the antral motor response to a standard meal and gastrointestinal transit and to evaluate the interaction of muscarinic cholinergic mechanisms with CB modulation; second, to ..
- Cannabinoid Mechanisms in Human Gastrointestinal Motor and Sensory FunctionsMICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2010..to determine whether CB receptor modulation influences the antral motor response to a standard meal and gastrointestinal transit and to evaluate the interaction of muscarinic cholinergic mechanisms with CB modulation;second, to ..
- Pathophysiology of Anorectal DisordersAdil E Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will enhance our understanding of the mechanisms and assess novel approaches to manage FI. ..
- Novel Treatment Strategies for Constipation and Role of Brain-Gut axisSATISH SC RAO; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies aim to define the mechanisms of, and evaluate new therapies for dyssynergia, rectal hyposensitivity and rectal hypersensitivity, and could significantly impact constipation treatments. ..
- Novel Treatment Strategies for Constipation and Role of Brain-Gut axisSatish Rao; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies aim to define the mechanisms of, and evaluate new therapies for dyssynergia, rectal hyposensitivity and rectal hypersensitivity, and could significantly impact constipation treatments. ..
- Epidemiology and Mechanisms of Fecal IncontinenceAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- ANORECTAL MANIFESTATIONS OF FEMALE PELVIC FLOOR DISORDERAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Treatment Strategies for Constipation and Role of Brain-Gut axisSatish Rao; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies aim to define the mechanisms of, and evaluate new therapies for dyssynergia, rectal hyposensitivity and rectal hypersensitivity, and could significantly impact constipation treatments. ..
- NEUROMUSCULAR CONDITION THERAPY-DYSSYNERGIC DEFECATIONSatish Rao; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..