Summary: Radiographic examination of the process of defecation after the instillation of a CONTRAST MEDIA into the rectum.
Publications181 found, 100 shown here
- [Dynamic MR defecography for diagnosis of combined functional disorders of the pelvic floor in proctology]C Paetzel
Rofo 173:410-5. 2001PURPOSE: Evaluation of magnetic resonance defecography in the diagnosis of pelvic floor disorders were examined prospectively. MRI was performed on a 1.5 T scanner. The rectum was opacified with 200 ml of ultrasound transmission gel...
- Magnetic resonance imaging of anatomic and dynamic defects of the pelvic floor in defecatory disordersJ G Fletcher
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Medical School, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:399-411. 2003..These complementary techniques can evaluate obstructed defecation and fecal incontinence. Our aim was to develop a single, nonionizing, minimally invasive modality to image global pelvic floor anatomy and motion...
- [Differential diagnosis in descending perineum syndrome]O Schwandner
Klinik fur Chirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Chirurg 75:850-60. 2004..history and clinical examination with proctorectoscopy as well as anorectal manometry, endoanal ultrasound, defecography, and dynamic MR of the pelvic floor...
- Stapled transanal rectal resection (STARR) to reverse the anatomic disorders of pelvic floor dyssynergiaGeorge Pechlivanides
1st Department of General Surgery, Athens Naval Hospital, Athens, Greece
World J Surg 31:1329-35. 2007..The presence of anatomic disorders of the anorectum was verified by dynamic defecography. Preoperative assessment also included colonic transit time, anal sphincter ultrasonography, and anorectal ..
- Assessment of chronic constipation: colon transit time versus defecographyR W Prokesch
Department of Radiology, University of Vienna, AKH, Austria
Eur J Radiol 32:197-203. 1999The aim of this study was to determine the value of radiological colon transit time (CTT) measurements in relation to defecography (DFG) in chronically constipated patients.
- Correlation between posterior vaginal wall defects assessed by clinical examination and by defecographyAnnette G Groenendijk
Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Onze Lieve Vrouwe Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 19:1291-7. 2008To estimate the accuracy of clinical examination and the indications for defecography in patients with primary posterior wall prolapse...
- Prediction of findings at defecography in patients with genital prolapseJan Paul W R Roovers
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
BJOG 112:1547-53. 2005b>Defecography may be useful in pre-operative assessment of patients with genital prolapse...
- Practical performance of defecography for the evaluation of constipation and incontinenceDarren Brennan
Department of Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Semin Ultrasound CT MR 29:420-6. 2008..This review article discusses the primary indications for fluoroscopic defecography, techniques, common diagnoses, and challenges faced in clinical practice.
- Role of age, bowel function and parity on anorectocele pathogenesis according to cinedefecography and anal manometry evaluationF A Soares
Department of Surgery, Medical School, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Colorectal Dis 11:947-50. 2009..The study aimed to verify the role of parity, age and bowel function in the pathogenesis of anorectocele...
- Responses of anal constipation to biofeedback treatmentXose Fernández-Fraga
Digestive System Research Unit, Vall d Hebron University Hospital, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:20-7. 2005..Our aim was to identify the key predictors of outcome using a comprehensive standardized evaluation of anorectal function...
- Clinical and morphologic correlation after stapled transanal rectal resection for obstructed defecation syndromeDaniel Dindo
Department of Surgery, Division of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Dis Colon Rectum 51:1768-74. 2008..The clinical and morphologic outcome of patients with obstructed defecation syndrome after stapled transanal rectal resection was prospectively evaluated...
- Types of pelvic floor dysfunctions in nulliparous, vaginal delivery, and cesarean section female patients with obstructed defecation syndrome identified by echodefecographySthela M Murad-Regadas
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine of the Federal University of Ceara, Clinic Hospital, Federal University of Ceara, Av Pontes Vieira, 2551, Fortaleza, Ceara, 60130 241, Brazil
Int J Colorectal Dis 24:1227-32. 2009..This study aims to show pelvic floor dysfunctions in women with obstructed defecation syndrome (ODS), comparing nulliparous to those with vaginal delivery or cesarean section using the echodefecography (ECD)...
- Stapled trans-anal rectal resection (STARR) by a new dedicated device for the surgical treatment of obstructed defaecation syndrome caused by rectal intussusception and rectocele: early results of a multicenter prospective studyAdolfo Renzi
Colorectal Surgery Unit, S Stefano Hospital, Via Michelangelo da Caravaggio, 228, 80126 Naples, Italy
Int J Colorectal Dis 23:999-1005. 2008....
- Results, outcome predictors, and complications after stapled transanal rectal resection for obstructed defecationGiuseppe Gagliardi
General Surgery, Clinica Pineta Grande, Via Domiziana Km 30, Castel Volturno Caserta 81030, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 51:186-95; discussion 195. 2008..The present study was designed to evaluate stapled transanal rectal resection results, outcome predictive factors, and nature of complications...
- New trends in the surgical treatment of outlet obstruction: clinical and functional results of two novel transanal stapled techniques from a randomised controlled trialPaolo Boccasanta
1st Department of General Surgery, Ospedale Maggiore di Milano, I R C C S University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Int J Colorectal Dis 19:359-69. 2004..A randomised trial was undertaken to compare the clinical and functional results of two novel transanal stapled techniques in patients with outlet obstruction syndrome...
- Defecography in symptomatic older women living at homeCeline Savoye-Collet
Radiology Department, Pr Jacques Thiebot, Quant If, France Aden, Rouen University Hospital Charles Nicolle, Rouen, France
Age Ageing 32:347-50. 2003..complaints of defecation disorders in older patients living at home is an emerging problem. Little is known about radiological examination of this population...
- Randomized controlled trial of biofeedback, sham feedback, and standard therapy for dyssynergic defecationSatish S C Rao
University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:331-8. 2007..Biofeedback might help patients with constipation and dyssynergic defecation, but its efficacy is unproven, and whether improvements are due to operant conditioning or personal attention is unknown...
- Anorectal physiology in relation to clinical subgroups of patients with severe constipationU Karlbom
Department of Surgical Sciences, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Colorectal Dis 6:343-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate anorectal physiology in relation to clinically defined subgroups of patients with idiopathic constipation and to analyse relationships between anorectal physiology and rectal evacuation...
- Investigation of the utility of colorectal function tests and Rome II criteria in dyssynergic defecation (Anismus)S S C Rao
Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Research Center, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 16:589-96. 2004..defecation were prospectively evaluated with anorectal manometry, balloon expulsion, colonic transit and defecography. Fifty-three patients had repeat manometry...
- Posterior pelvic floor disorders: a prospective comparison using introital ultrasound and colpocystodefecographyR F Grasso
Interdisciplinary Center for Biomedical Research, Department of Radiology, University Campus Bio Medico, Rome, Italy
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 30:86-94. 2007..To compare introital ultrasound with colpocystodefecography (CCD) in quantifying the anorectal angle and in the diagnosis of posterior pelvic floor disorders...
- Imaging of obstructed defecationA Ganeshan
Radiology Department, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Clin Radiol 63:18-26. 2008..In this article a description of common imaging techniques for diagnosing structural causes of constipation with illustrations of abnormal defecographic findings in patients with obstructive defecation are presented...
- Abnormal predefecatory colonic motor patterns define constipation in obstructed defecationPhilip G Dinning
Department of Gastroenterology, The St George Hospital, University of New South Wales, Kogarah, New South Wales, Australia
Gastroenterology 127:49-56. 2004....
- Colpocystodefecography in obstructed defecation: is it really useful to the surgeon? Correlating clinical and radiological findings in surgery for obstructed defecationC Finco
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padova, 3rd General Surgery Clinic, Coloproctological Unit, S Antonio Hospital, Padova, Italy
Colorectal Dis 10:446-52. 2008..The mean follow-up was 30 months (24-48 months)...
- [Role of defecography in female posterior pelvic floor abnormalities]J Y Touchais
Service de Physiologie Digestive, Urinaire, Respiratoire et Sportive, Hopital Charles Nicolle, CHU de Rouen, 1, rue de Germont, 76031 Rouen Cedex, France
Gynecol Obstet Fertil 35:1257-63. 2007..Fluoroscopic defecography and MR defecography enable identification of rectocele, rectal prolapse, enterocele, sigmoidocele with high ..
- [Obstructed defecation]H P Bruch
Klinik fur Chirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Chirurg 75:861-70. 2004..Providing defecography or dynamic MR of the pelvic floor, common causes of outlet obstruction such as sigmoidoceles, in which surgery ..
- Selection criteria for surgery in patients with obstructed defecation, rectocele and anorectal prolapseCristiano Finco
3rd General Surgery Clinic, Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Coloproctological Unit, S Antonio Hospital, University of Padua
Chir Ital 59:513-20. 2007..using a dedicated questionnaire (KESS), a proctological and gynaecological examination, colpo-cysto-defecography and anorectal manometry before surgery and 6 months postoperatively...
- A comparison of dynamic transperineal ultrasound (DTP-US) with dynamic evacuation proctography (DEP) in the diagnosis of cul de sac hernia (enterocele) in patients with evacuatory dysfunctionM Beer-Gabel
Department Gastroenterology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
Int J Colorectal Dis 23:513-9. 2008..Recently, dynamic transperineal ultrasonography (DTP-US) has been used for this purpose. This study compares DEP with DTP-US for the diagnosis of cul-de-sac hernias in those patients presenting with evacuatory dysfunction...
- Fecal incontinence: a reviewNicolas Bellicini
Division of Gastroenterology, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15224, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:41-6. 2008..Fecal incontinence in the nursing home population has been estimated at 47%. We provide a guide to appropriate clinical evaluation, diagnostic testing, and treatment of FI...
- Colorectal motor and sensitivity features in patients affected by ulcerative proctitis with constipation: a radiological and manometric controlled studyPietro Crispino
Department of Clinical Sciences, Gastroenterology Unit, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Inflamm Bowel Dis 12:712-8. 2006..The aim of this article is to investigate functional and morphologic features of the anorectal region in patients with UP and constipation...
- Dynamic pelvic three-dimensional computed tomography for investigation of pelvic abnormalities in patients with rectocele and rectal prolapseNorihiro Okamoto
Department of Surgery, Rokuwa Hospital, Heiwa, Inazawa 490 1323, Japan
J Gastroenterol 41:802-6. 2006..Dynamic three-dimensional computed tomography (D-3DCT: high-speed helical scanning during defecation) was used for morphological evaluation of intrapelvic structures in patients with rectal prolapse and rectocele...
- MR imaging of the pelvic floorR Seynaeve
Department of Radiology, AZ Groeninge Hospital, Kortrijk, Belgium
JBR-BTR 89:182-9. 2006..MR defecography allows to evaluate all the compartments of the pelvis without being invasive...
- A prospective evaluation of occult disorders in obstructed defecation using the 'iceberg diagram'M Pescatori
Coloproctology Units, Villa Flaminia, Rome, Italy
Colorectal Dis 8:785-9. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate occult disorders in order to alert the clinician of these and minimize failures...
- Dynamic imaging of posterior compartment pelvic floor dysfunction by evacuation proctography: techniques, indications, results and limitationsDean D T Maglinte
Department of Radiology, Indiana University Medical Center, University Hospital and Outpatient Center, 550 N University Blvd UH 0279, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Eur J Radiol 61:454-61. 2007..It has a high observer accuracy and yield of positive diagnosis. Clinicians find it of major benefit and has altered management from surgical to medical and vice versa in a significant number of cases...
- Anorectal manometry: are fatigue rate and fatigue rate index of any clinical importance?S Bilali
Department of General Surgery, University Surgical Clinic, Medical University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 29, A 8036 Graz, Austria
Tech Coloproctol 9:225-8. 2005..Our aim was to evaluate FR and FRI and their clinical importance in patients suffering from fecal incontinence or severe constipation...
- Descending perineum syndrome: are abdominal hysterectomy and bowel habits linked?Filippo Pucciani
Dipartimento di Area Critica Medico Chirurgica, Sezione di Clinica Chirurgica Generale e Discipline Chirurgiche, Unità di Colon Proctologia, Universita di Firenze, Firenze Careggi, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 48:2094-9. 2005..This retrospective study evaluates the effect of abdominal hysterectomy on patients affected by descending perineum syndrome...
- Cinedefecographic findings in patients with obstructed defecation sindrome. A study in 420 casesA Renzi
Colorectal Surgery Unit, S Stefano Hospital, and Division of General Surgery, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
Minerva Chir 61:493-9. 2006..Obstructed defecation syndrome (ODS) represents a very common clinical problem. The aim of this study was to analyze the cinedefecographic findings in a group of patients with ODS...
- Anorectal physiology in solitary ulcer syndrome: a case-matched seriesOlivia Morio
Physiology Unit, Rennes University Hospital, Rennes, France
Dis Colon Rectum 48:1917-22. 2005..The present work analyzed differences between these conditions in a case-control physiology study...
- Rectal sensorimotor dysfunction in patients with urge faecal incontinence: evidence from prolonged manometric studiesC L H Chan
Centre for Academic Surgery, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
Gut 54:1263-72. 2005..The contribution of rectosigmoid contractile activity to the pathophysiology of this condition is unclear, and thus the relations between symptoms, rectal sensation, and rectosigmoid motor function were investigated...
- Rectal intussusception in symptomatic patients is different from that in asymptomatic volunteersL S Dvorkin
Gastrointestinal Physiology Unit, Centre for Academic Surgery, Royal London Hospital, UK
Br J Surg 92:866-72. 2005..Little information exists, however, as to whether intussusception morphology differs between patients with evacuatory dysfunction and healthy volunteers...
- Long-term results of the anterior Délorme's operation in the management of symptomatic rectoceleS M Abbas
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery, University of Auckland, 1001 Grafton, Auckland, New Zealand
Dis Colon Rectum 48:317-22. 2005..Although the results of surgery for symptomatic rectocele seem satisfactory initially, there is a trend toward deterioration with time. This study was designed to assess the long-term outcome of Anterior Délorme's operation for rectocele...
- A prospective evaluation of occult disorders in obstructed defecation using the 'iceberg diagram'M Pescatori
Coloproctology Unit, Villa Flaminia Hospital, Rome, Italy
Colorectal Dis 9:452-6. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate occult disorders, in order to alert the clinician of these and minimize failures...
- Evacuation of neorectal reservoirs after TMEJ S Köninger
Department of General Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 110, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Recent Results Cancer Res 165:180-90. 2005..Pouch and anastomosis were checked by Gastrografin enema postoperatively. Eight months after surgery, video defecography, anal manometry and pouch volumetry were performed and the patients were interviewed according to a ..
- Long-term outcomes of individualized biofeedback training based on the underlying dysfunction for patients with imperforate anusYuan Zhengwei
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Second Affiliated Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang 110004, China
J Pediatr Surg 40:555-61. 2005..The aim of this study was to design an individualized biofeedback program based on the underlying dysfunctions and to assess the short-term and long-term clinical and quality-of-life outcomes for patients with imperforate anus...
- Role of pelvicography and colpocystodefecography in diagnosis of outlet obstructive constipationBao Hua Liu
Department of General Surgery, Institute of Surgery Research, Daping Hospital, Third Military Medical University, 400042 Chongqing, China
Int J Colorectal Dis 20:317-20. 2005..The aim was to research the changes in pelvic floor morphology and corresponding visceras in patients with outlet obstructive constipation (OOC)...
- Diagnostic testing in patients with chronic constipationJose M Remes-Troche
4612 JCP, The University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 8:416-24. 2006..Such approaches have led to improved management of these patients. In this review, we summarize and highlight recent advances in the utility of diagnostic testing of chronic constipation...
- [Diagnostic value of defecography]L A Curi
Acta Gastroenterol Latinoam 31:313-7. 2001..Likewise, the importance of pre and post surgical tests, both therapeutic and reconstructive must be underlined...
- [Fecal incontinence: evaluation, treatment concept and new therapeutic approaches]W Steinke
Klinik für Viszeral und Transplantationschirurgie, Universitatsspital Zurich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 91:1733-40. 2002..The initial results are very encouraging with recovery from faecal incontinence in up to 70-80% of the treated cases...
- Anal manometric predictors of significant rectocele in constipated patientsN A Rotholtz
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd, Weston, FL 33331, USA
Tech Coloproctol 6:73-6; discussion 76-7. 2002..In conclusion, anal manometric findings may be useful in predicting significant rectocele in constipated patients...
- Clinical applications and techniques of cinedefecographyJ M Jorge
Department of Coloproctology, , , Brazil
Am J Surg 182:93-101. 2001..CONCLUSION: Cinedefecography provides a wide range of information to assist the surgeon with the evaluation and management of patients with evacuatory and other associated pelvic floor disorders...
- Recent concepts in fecal incontinenceJ M Douglas
Section of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving Street NW, Suite 3B-31, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Curr Womens Health Rep 1:67-71. 2001....
- Electromyography of the pelvic floor musculature in the assessment of obstructed defecation symptomsC Fucini
Institute of Clinica Chirurgica I, Faculty of Medicine, University of Florence, Viale Morgagni, Careggi, Florence, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 44:1168-75. 2001..The patients were also examined in separate sessions with defecography and anal manometry...
- [New physiological, diagnostic and therapeutic concepts in the management of rectoceles in women]B Deval
Service de Gynecologie Obstetrique, Université Bichat Beaujon, Hopital Beaujon, 100 Boulevard du General Leclerc, 92110 Clichy, France
Gynecol Obstet Fertil 30:180-94. 2002..Data from physical examination may be improved by defecography. Surgery remains the main treatment: several surgical ways (perineal, anal, abdominal, laparoscopic) are ..
- Associations of defecography and physiologic findings in male patients with rectoceleH H Chen
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd, Weston, Florida 33331, USA
Tech Coloproctol 5:157-61. 2001..A prominent rectocele was defined as one that did not empty during defecography and was associated with outlet obstructive syndrome...
- Defecography in patients with anorectal disorders: a study in 27 casesD Boonjunwetwat
ChulalongkornDepartment of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkom University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 84:1097-102. 2001b>Defecography of twenty-seven cases of anorectal disorders with an age range from 22 to 86 years, were evaluated from June 1989 to February 1999...
- Dynamic transperineal ultrasound vs. defecography in patients with evacuatory difficulty: a pilot studyM Beer-Gabel
Department of Gastroenterology, Kaplan Medical Center, Rehovot, Israel
Int J Colorectal Dis 19:60-7. 2004..This study compared qualitative diagnosis and quantitative measurement obtained by defecography and dynamic transperineal ultrasonography in patients with evacuatory difficulty.
- Rectal prolapse in women with other defects of pelvic floor supportW A Peters
Pacific Gynecology Specialists and the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Washington, Seattle 98104, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 184:1488-94; discussion 1494-5. 2001..The diagnosis was established in all patients with video defecography. Thirty-nine of the patients had internal (occult) prolapse that simulated either a rectocele or an enterocele...
- Rectal diverticulum: a new complication of STARR procedure for obstructed defecationG Sciaudone
First Division of General Surgery, Second University of Naples Policlinico, Naples, Italy
Tech Coloproctol 12:61-3. 2008..A 21-year-old woman with chronic constipation was diagnosed with a rectocele at defecography. The patient underwent STARR procedure...
- Predictive value of the balloon expulsion test for excluding the diagnosis of pelvic floor dyssynergia in constipationMiguel Minguez
Department of Gastroenterology, University Clinic Hospital, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Gastroenterology 126:57-62. 2004..The aim of this study was to establish a simple method to exclude the possibility of pelvic floor dyssynergia (PFD) in constipated patients and thus avoid unnecessary expensive physiologic studies...
- Defecation proctography and translabial ultrasound in the investigation of defecatory disordersG Perniola
La Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 31:567-71. 2008..Translabial ultrasound has recently been shown to demonstrate rectocele, enterocele and rectal intussusception. We performed a comparative clinical study to determine agreement between the two methods...
- Defecographic measurements of rectal intussusception and prolapse in patients and in asymptomatic subjectsF Pomerri
Department of Medical Diagnostic Sciences and Special Therapies, Radiology, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
AJR Am J Roentgenol 176:641-5. 2001..patients with defecation and micturition disorders and gynecologic complaints were studied by means of defecography (120 patients), colpodefecography (17 patients), or cystocolpodefecography (300 patients)...
- [Actual Role of Stapled Transanal Rectal Resection (STARR) for obstructed defecation syndrome]O Schwandner
Klinik für Chirurgie und Beckenbodenzentrum Regensburg, Caritas Krankenhaus St Josef, Regensburg
Zentralbl Chir 133:116-22. 2008..The definitive role of the STARR procedure has to be assessed by careful and prospective evaluation of long-term function, symptom resolution, and quality of life, e. g., as provided by the German STARR registry...
- Slow-transit constipation after radical hysterectomy type IIIW C Cirocco
Surg Endosc 17:1856-7; author reply 1858. 2003
- Fecal incontinence in the postreproductive womanKatherine R Birchard
Department of Radiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Campus Box 7510, 101 Manning Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Curr Womens Health Rep 3:405-9. 2003..Muscle and sphincter tears can also be visualized, although most fascial damage is incurred secondarily. The detailed information gained from an MRI can be used to plan optimal treatment, surgical or otherwise...
- A comparison between dynamic pelvic magnetic resonance imaging and videoproctography in patients with constipationH Matsuoka
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Fort Lauderdale 33309, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 44:571-6. 2001..In certain selected individuals, it may play a role, but further study is necessary to clarify its exact role...
- [A "helping hand": an ordinary clinical story]Laurent Siproudhis
Clinique des Maladies de l Appareil Digestif, Hopital Pontchaillou, 35033 Rennes, Cedex
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 27:B140-2. 2003
- Long-term functional assessment of antegrade colonic enema for combined incontinence and constipation using a modified Marsh and Kiff techniqueDonato F Altomare
Department of Emergency and Organ Transplantation, General Surgery and Liver Transplantation Unit, University of Bari, Piazza G Cesare, 11 70124, Bari, and Department of Surgical Unit, Ospedale Moscati, Avellino, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 50:1023-31. 2007..Malone antegrade colonic enema enables periodic colonic emptying, thus preventing uncontrolled passage of feces and constipation...
- [Transperineal repair of rectocele with prosthetic mesh. A prospective study]J P Lechaux
clinique Geoffroy Saint Hilaire, 59, rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire, 75005 Paris, France
Ann Chir 129:211-7. 2004..To assess the long term results of a transperineal repair of rectocele with a prosthetic mesh and the criteria for selecting the patients...
- [Surgical therapy of fecal incontinence]P Buchmann
Chirurgische Klinik, Stadtspital Waid, Zurich
Ther Umsch 60:289-95. 2003..An endosonography or a perineal sonography and in case of a rectocele with incontinence a defecography need to be performed. In case of intact or defective sphincter a biofeedback training is started...
- Stapled transanal rectal resection versus stapled anopexy in the cure of hemorrhoids associated with rectal prolapse. A randomized controlled trialPaolo Boccasanta
Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, IRCCS Foundation, Milan, 1st Department of General Surgery, University of Milan, Via F Sforza 35, 20122, Milan, Italy
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:245-51. 2007..The aim of this randomized study was to evaluate the incidence of residual disease after SA and STARR in patients affected by prolapsed hemorrhoids associated with rectal prolapse...
- Prospective study of biofeedback retraining in patients with chronic idiopathic functional constipationJun Wang
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Tianjin Binjiang Hospital, Tianjin 300022, China
World J Gastroenterol 9:2109-13. 2003..To determine the efficacy and long-term outcome of biofeedback treatment for chronic idiopathic constipation and to compare the efficacy of two modes of biofeedback (EMG-based and manometry-based biofeedback)...
- [Application of pelvic floor dynamic MRI combining defecography with homemade high conformable sacculus in the management of obstructed defecation syndrome]Wei Liang Song
Department of General Surgery, Chaoyang Hospital Affiliated to Capital Medical University, Beijing 100020, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 47:1843-5. 2009To evaluate the sensitivity and feasibility of pelvic floor dynamic MRI combining defecography with homemade high conformable sacculus in the management of obstructed defecation syndrome.
- Function and dysfunction of the colon and anorectum in adults: working team report of the Swedish Motility Group (SMoG)Pontus Karling
Department of Internal Medicine, Umea University Hospital, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 44:646-60. 2009..For patients with constipation, colon transit studies, anorectal manometry and defecography may help to identify patients with slow-transit constipation and/or pelvic floor dysfunction...
- Evaluation of anorectal function after transanal one-stage endorectal pull through operation in children with Hirschsprung's diseaseShu Cheng Zhang
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Shengjing Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang 110004, China
Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi 9:188-92. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the stooling pattern, colonic motility and anal sphincter performance after transanal one-stage pull through operation in children with Hirschsprung's disease...
- Laparoscopic total colectomy for colonic inertia: surgical and functional resultsGeorge Pinedo
Colorectal Unit, Digestive Surgery Department, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Marcoleta 367, Santiago, Chile
Surg Endosc 23:62-5. 2009..Total colectomy is the surgery of choice for colonic inertia (CI) when medical treatment has failed. Laparoscopic total colectomy has demonstrated to be a feasible technique...
- Randomised controlled trial between stapled circumferential mucosectomy and conventional circular hemorrhoidectomy in advanced hemorrhoids with external mucosal prolapseP Boccasanta
Department of General and Oncological Surgery, Milano, Italy
Am J Surg 182:64-8. 2001....
- Dynamic magnetic resonance imaging of the pelvic floor in children and adolescents with vesical and anorectal malformationsThomas M Boemers
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Children s Hospital of Cologne, 50735 Koln, Germany
J Pediatr Surg 41:1267-71. 2006..complex congenital malformations of the pelvic floor and continence organs, it plays a major role in assessing urinary and fecal incontinence or constipation, especially when performed as a dynamic investigation such as MRI defecography.
- The impact of stapled transanal rectal resection on anorectal function in patients with obstructed defecation syndromeGiuliano Reboa
U O General Surgery, Colo Rectal Unit, A O U San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 52:1598-604. 2009..The aim was to assess the consequences of surgery on anorectal function and patient outcomes...
- Is total colectomy the right choice in intractable slow-transit constipation?Valter Ripetti
Department of Digestive Diseases, Campus Bio Medico University of Rome, Italy
Surgery 140:435-40. 2006....
- Small bowel motility in functional chronic constipationH Seidl
Bogenhausen Academic Teaching Hospital, Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Gastrointestinal Oncology, Munich, Germany
Neurogastroenterol Motil 21:1278-e122. 2009..manometry (standardized meal) after a transit-time study (radio-opaque markers), anorectal manometry, defecography and colonoscopy...
- Can the outcome of pelvic-floor rehabilitation in patients with fecal incontinence be predicted?M P Terra
Department of Radiology, Academic Medical Center, G1 229, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Colorectal Dis 23:503-11. 2008..We aimed at studying prospectively the ability of tests to predict the outcome of pelvic-floor rehabilitation in patients with fecal incontinence...
- Functional disorders of defecation: evaluation and treatmentBryan J Feyen
Satish S C Rao, MD, PhD, FRCP The University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics, Internal Medicine, GI Division, 200 Hawkins Drive, 4612 JCP, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol 10:221-30. 2007..and rectal and pelvic exam together with physiologic tests such as anorectal manometry, balloon expulsion test, defecography, and MRI. Treatment involves several medical, behavioral, and surgical approaches...
- Randomized controlled trial between perineal and anal repairs of rectocele in obstructed defecationMohamed Farid
Department of Surgery, University of Mansoura, Mansoura, Egypt
World J Surg 34:822-9. 2010..The present study was designed to evaluate functional outcome of perineal repair with and without levatorplasty versus transanal repair of rectocele in obstructed defecation...
- Clinical and physiologic outcomes after transvaginal rectocele repairTetsuo Yamana
Department of Proctology, Social Health Insurance Hospital, 3 22 1 Hyakunincho Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 169 0073, Japan
Dis Colon Rectum 49:661-7. 2006..This study was designed to evaluate the clinical and physiologic outcomes after transvaginal rectocele repair...
- Stapled transanal rectal resection under laparoscopic surveillance for rectocele and concomitant enteroceleS Petersen
Department of General and Abdominal Surgery, Dresden Friedrichstadt Hospital, Dresden, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 49:685-9. 2006..We decided to perform a combined procedure of transanal rectal resection with a simultaneous laparoscopy for patients with obstructed defecation syndrome and an enterocele...
- Transanal rectocele repair using linear stapler and bioabsorbable staple line reinforcement material: short-term results of a prospective studyF de la Portilla
Coloproctology Unit, Gastrointestinal Surgery Department, Juan Ramon Jimenez Hospital, Huelva, Spain
Dis Colon Rectum 53:88-92. 2010..This study was designed to determine the short-term results of transanal rectocele repair with use of a linear stapler and Bioabsorbable Seamguard...
- A new grading of rectal internal mucosal prolapse and its correlation with diagnosis and treatmentM Pescatori
Coloproctology Unit, UCP Villa Claudia, Rome, Italy
Int J Colorectal Dis 14:245-9. 1999..Anal manometry was carried out in 26 patients, and anal ultrasound and defecography in 6 prior to surgery...
- Posterior pelvic floor prolapse and a review of the anatomy, preoperative testing and surgical managementS D Kleeman
Section of Urogynecology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Minerva Ginecol 60:165-82. 2008..Evaluation may include; defecography, bowel transit studies, manometry, endoluminal ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging...
- Treating pelvic floor disorders of defecation: management or cure?Satish S C Rao
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Internal Medicine, GI Division, 200 Hawkins Drive, 4612 JCP, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 11:278-87. 2009..b>Defecography and dynamic MRI may facilitate detection of structural defects...
- Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: findings at barium enema study and defecographyR Goei
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Maastricht, University of Limburg, The Netherlands
Radiology 168:303-6. 1988..In six cases the study was normal. All patients had a long history of defecation disorders, and defecography was performed in all...
- Transverse coloplasty pouch after total mesorectal excision: functional assessment of evacuationJörg S Köninger
Department of General Surgery, Krankenhaus Bietigheim, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 47:1586-93. 2004..This study was designed to analyze functional outcome and defecography findings after total mesorectal excision and transverse coloplasty pouch reconstruction.
- Sacral neuromodulation: does it affect the rectoanal angle in patients with fecal incontinence?O Uludag
Department of Surgery, Maastricht University Medical Centre, P O Box 5800, 6202 AZ, Maastricht, The Netherlands
World J Surg 34:1109-14. 2010..The underlying mechanism of action for lower bowel motility disorders has been unclear. In the present study, the effect of SNM on the rectoanal angle in patients with fecal incontinence was investigated...
- Defecography: a practical approachNiccolo Faccioli
Department of Radiology, G B Rossi University Hospital, Verona, Italy
Diagn Interv Radiol 16:209-16. 2010..physiological and pathological, of the recto-anal region and pelvic floor as depicted with conventional video defecography. Defecography has dramatically improved our knowledge of dysfunctions of evacuation...
- Transanal or vaginal approach to rectocele repair: a prospective, randomized pilot studyKari Nieminen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Dis Colon Rectum 47:1636-42. 2004..This study was designed to compare outcomes of transanal and vaginal techniques for rectocele repair...
- A three-year prospective assessment of rectocele repair using porcine xenograftDaniel Altman
Pelvic Floor Center Danderyd Hospital, Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Stockholm, Sweden
Obstet Gynecol 107:59-65. 2006..To prospectively evaluate clinical outcome of rectocele repair using xenograft 3 years after surgery...
- Innervation of the rectovaginal wall in patients with rectocele compared to healthy controlsDaniel Altman
Pelvic Floor Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Karolinska Institutet Danderyd Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Neurourol Urodyn 25:776-81. 2006..To evaluate if pelvic floor innervation differed in patients with rectocele compared to control subjects and to assess if nerve fiber density of the rectovaginal wall correlated to the clinical presentation of rectocele...
- Rectoanal inhibition and rectocele: physiology versus categorizationA P Zbar
Academic Department of Colorectal Surgery, Imperial College School of Science Technology and Medicine, London, UK
Int J Colorectal Dis 16:307-12. 2001..anorectal manometry, vector manometry, parametric assessment of the rectoanal inhibitory reflex (RAIR), and defecography. Subjects included 33 volunteer controls without anorectal disease, 14 patients with type I rectocele, and 26 ..
- Transvaginal anterior levatorplasty with posterior colporrhaphy for symptomatic rectoceleK Maeda
Department of Surgery, Fujita Health University, 1 98, Kutsukake, Toyoake, Aichi 470 1192, Japan
Tech Coloproctol 7:181-5. 2003..We evaluated functional and morphological outcomes of transvaginal anterior levatorplasty with posterior colporrhaphy for symptomatic rectocele...
- Laparotomic vs. laparoscopic rectopexy in complete rectal prolapseP Boccasanta
Department of General and Oncologic Surgery, University of Milan, Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Dig Surg 16:415-9. 1999..The aim of this study was to compare the functional and clinical results of laparotomic and laparoscopic rectopexy in 2 homogeneous groups of patients with complete rectal prolapse and fecal incontinence...
- Comparative study between biofeedback retraining and botulinum neurotoxin in the treatment of anismus patientsMohamed Farid
General Surgery Department, Dep 8 and Colorectal Unit, Mansoura University Hospital, Mansoura, Egypt
Int J Colorectal Dis 24:115-20. 2009..Anismus is a significant cause of chronic constipation. This study came to revive the results of BFB training and BTX-A injection in the treatment of anismus patients...
- Stapled transanal rectal resection for outlet obstruction: a prospective, multicenter trialPaolo Boccasanta
Ospedale Maggiore di Milano I R C C S, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 47:1285-96; discussion 1296-7. 2004....
- Review of pathogenesis and management of constipationUday C Ghoshal
Department of Gastroenterology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow 226014
Trop Gastroenterol 28:91-5. 2007..Colonic transit study is useful to screen for slow transit constipation or faecal evacuation disorders. Defecography, the balloon expulsion test, anorectal ultrasound, anorectal manometry, defecometry, anal sphincter ..
- ANORECTAL MANIFESTATIONS OF FEMALE PELVIC FLOOR DISORDERAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2002..Current diagnostic tests for OD (anorectal manometry, defecography, rectal balloon expulsion) are neither standardized nor reproducible; endoanal ultrasound is suboptimal for ..
- Pelvic Floor Disorders NetworkAnthony Visco; Fiscal Year: 2007..Diagnostic resources include muti-channel urodynamic testing, cystoscopy, defecography, pelvic MRI, 360-degree endoanal ultrasound, anal manometry and needle electromyography...
- Novel Treatment Strategies for Constipation and Role of Brain-Gut axisSatish Rao; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies aim to define the mechanisms of, and evaluate new therapies for dyssynergia, rectal hyposensitivity and rectal hypersensitivity, and could significantly impact constipation treatments. ..
- Novel Treatment Strategies for Constipation and Role of Brain-Gut axisSatish Rao; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies aim to define the mechanisms of, and evaluate new therapies for dyssynergia, rectal hyposensitivity and rectal hypersensitivity, and could significantly impact constipation treatments. ..
- Novel Treatment Strategies for Constipation and Role of Brain-Gut axisSATISH SC RAO; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies aim to define the mechanisms of, and evaluate new therapies for dyssynergia, rectal hyposensitivity and rectal hypersensitivity, and could significantly impact constipation treatments. ..
- NEUROMUSCULAR CONDITION THERAPY-DYSSYNERGIC DEFECATIONSatish Rao; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Pathophysiology of Anorectal DisordersAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal will enhance our understanding of the mechanisms and assess novel approaches to manage FI. ..
- Epidemiology and Mechanisms of Fecal IncontinenceAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Pathophysiology of Anorectal DisordersAdil E Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will enhance our understanding of the mechanisms and assess novel approaches to manage FI. ..