Summary: Act of listening for sounds within the heart.
Publications164 found, 100 shown here
- Clinical auscultation skills in pediatric residentsP R Gaskin
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Pediatrics 105:1184-7. 2000..The aim of this study is to determine the level of clinical auscultation skills in pediatric residents at Duke University Medical Center...
- Teaching cardiac auscultation: effectiveness of a patient-centered teaching conference on improving cardiac auscultatory skillsS Kimara March
Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:1443-8. 2005....
- Diastolic time - frequency relation in the stress echo lab: filling timing and flow at different heart ratesTonino Bombardini
Department of Echocardiography, Institute of Clinical Physiology, National Council of Research, Pisa, Italy
Cardiovasc Ultrasound 6:15. 2008..A cutaneous force-frequency relation recording system based on first heart sound amplitude vibrations has been recently validated. Second heart sound can be simultaneously recorded in order to quantify both systole and diastole duration...
- Teaching cardiac auscultation using simulated heart sounds and small-group discussionJ A Horiszny
Northwestern University St Joseph Hospital Family Practice Residency, Chicago, USA
Fam Med 33:39-44. 2001..Practice and review with cardiology patient simulators and prerecorded heart sounds has been shown to increase the accuracy of diagnosis by medical students and residents...
- Cardiac auscultation training of medical students: a comparison of electronic sensor-based and acoustic stethoscopesHenning Høyte
University of Oslo, Faculty of Medicine, Oslo, Norway
BMC Med Educ 5:14. 2005..To determine whether the use of an electronic, sensor based stethoscope affects the cardiac auscultation skills of undergraduate medical students...
- Auscultation in mild mitral regurgitation in dogs: observer variation, effects of physical maneuvers, and agreement with color Doppler echocardiography and phonocardiographyH D Pedersen
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark
J Vet Intern Med 13:56-64. 1999..Auscultatory findings in mild regurgitation appear to depend on observer experience, circulatory status, and how difficult the dog is to auscultate...
- Mastering cardiac murmurs: the power of repetitionMichael J Barrett
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine and Surgery, Travis Air Force Base Hospital, Fairfield, CA, USA
Chest 126:470-5. 2004..The ability of medical students to recognize heart murmurs is poor (20%), and does not improve with subsequent years of training. A teaching method to improve this skill would be useful...
- A novel multimedia tool to improve bedside teaching of cardiac auscultationA Woywodt
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Postgrad Med J 80:355-7. 2004..Amalgamating traditional phonocardiography with a multimedia approach, this system represents a novel tool for bedside teaching of cardiac auscultation...
- A systolic murmur is a common presentation of aortic regurgitation detected by echocardiographyPaul A Heidenreich
VA Palo Alto Health Care System, California 94304, USA
Clin Cardiol 27:502-6. 2004..The finding of aortic regurgitation at a classical examination is a diastolic murmur...
- [Long term prognosis in relation to the presence of systolic heart murmurs in healthy middle-aged men]Geeta Gulati
Institutt for klinisk epidemiologi, Akershus universitetssykehus, 1478 Lørenskog
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 125:1157-8. 2005The long-term prognostic value of systolic murmurs revealed by heart auscultation has previously not been published...
- Detection of the third heart sound using a tailored wavelet approach: method verificationP Hult
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Linkopings Universitet, Linkoping, Sweden
Med Biol Eng Comput 43:212-7. 2005..In study 2, the wavelet-detection method identified 87% of the patients using the third heart sound, and regular phonocardiography identified two (25%) of the subjects...
- Appreciation of precordial cardiac murmur on examination relative to knowledge of valvular heart diseaseCindy A Codispoti
Department of Medicine, Cardiology Division, Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas 78234, USA
Cardiol Rev 13:147-51. 2005..Our study sought to determine if documentation of valvular heart disease on echocardiography resulted in an increased appreciation and documentation of precordial murmur...
- Comparison of two educational interventions on pediatric resident auscultation skillsC Becket Mahnke
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Pediatrics 113:1331-5. 2004..Multiple cross-sectional physician surveys have documented poor cardiac auscultation skills. We evaluated the impact of 2 different educational interventions on pediatric resident auscultation skills...
- A classifier based on the artificial neural network approach for cardiologic auscultation in pediatricsSanjay R Bhatikar
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado, CB 427, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
Artif Intell Med 33:251-60. 2005..Thus, for patients being evaluated with a heart murmur, developing a more accurate screening device is vital to efforts in reducing health care costs...
- Usefulness of a new sound spectral averaging technique to distinguish an innocent systolic murmur from that of aortic stenosisMorton E Tavel
The Indiana Heart Institute, Care Group, Inc, and St Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Am J Cardiol 95:902-4. 2005..This method provides for rapid characterization of innocent murmurs, a means for comparison with other murmurs, and transmission of acoustic data to distant sites...
- Nonlinear analysis of heart murmurs using wavelet-based higher-order spectral parametersStyliani A Taplidou
Dept of Electr and Comput Eng, Aristotle Univ of Thessaloniki, Greece
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:4502-5. 2006..The analysis results justified the efficient performance of this combinatory approach to reveal and quantify the evolution of heart murmurs nonlinearities with time...
- Physical determinants of systolic murmur intensity in aortic stenosisRafael Kuperstein
Heart Institute, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Am J Cardiol 95:774-6. 2005..Loudness of murmur in aortic stenosis correlated best with peak momentum transfer--and thus with body size--so that loud murmurs predict severe disease less reliably in larger patients...
- [Cardiac murmurs in children]Jean René Lusson
CHU hôpital G Montpied, 63003 Clermont Ferrand 01
Rev Prat 54:885-8; quiz 884. 2004
- Innocent murmursThomas Biancaniello
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Cardiology, School of Medicine, State University of New York-Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook, NY 11794-8111, USA
Circulation 111:e20-2. 2005
- Detection and adaptive cancellation of heart sound interference in tracheal soundsSandra Cortes
Dept ESAII, UPC, Barcelona, Spain
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:2860-3. 2006..This kind of filter could facilitate the analysis and a better interpretation of the respiratory sound during spontaneous ventilation...
- Software enhanced learning of cardiac auscultationZeeshan Syed
Massachusetts Inst of Technol, Boston, MA, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:6105-8. 2006..The use of digital signal processing techniques makes pathological findings more recognizable in both audio and visual representations. This reduces dependence on the ability of people to hear relevant information...
- Effect of teaching and type of stethoscope on cardiac auscultatory performanceKasper Iversen
Clinic of Cardiology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Am Heart J 152:85.e1-7. 2006..Auscultation of the heart is a routine procedure. It is not known whether auscultatory skills can be improved by teaching or with the use of an advanced stethoscope...
- Assessing children's heart sounds at a distance with digital recordingsJohn P Finley
IWK Children s Heart Centre, 5850 5950 University Ave, Halifax, NS, Canada B3K6R8
Pediatrics 118:2322-5. 2006..The objective of this study was to assess whether computer-stored digital sound recordings can be used to distinguish innocent from pathologic systolic murmurs...
- [Heart murmur and echocardiographic findings in 2,907 non-selected patients admitted to hospital]Kasper Karmark Iversen
Amager Hospital, Kardiologisk Klinik B, H S Rigshospitalet, DK 2100 København Ø
Ugeskr Laeger 168:2551-4. 2006Since the introduction and increased availability of echocardiography, the importance of heart auscultation in diagnosing valvular heart disease has been reduced...
- Automated pediatric cardiac auscultationJacques P de Vos
Department Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:244-52. 2007..5%, respectively, when tested with the Jack-knife method. Statistical analysis of the input to the final sigmoid function shows that a better than 99% sensitivity and specificity can be achieved if sufficient training data are available...
- Heart murmursVictor Menashe
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Pediatr Rev 28:e19-22. 2007
- A framework for the analysis of acoustical cardiac signalsZeeshan Syed
Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:651-62. 2007..Researchers may also employ the comprehensive processing provided by our framework to develop more powerful, fully automated auscultation applications...
- Automated diagnosis of heart disease in patients with heart murmurs: application of a neural network techniqueK Higuchi
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Tokyo, School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Med Eng Technol 30:61-8. 2006..Accurate diagnoses can frequently be obtained using a neural network, but accuracy can be improved with further data accumulation...
- Auscultatory bedside tests for thoracic aortic diseaseHutan Ashrafian
Int J Cardiol 108:111. 2006..We report a new test and protocol for differentiating aortic root and descending aortic disease by adding auscultation over the back as part of the cardiovascular examination...
- Detection of heart murmurs using wavelet analysis and artificial neural networksNicholas Andrisevic
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Minnesota, Duluth, MN 55812, USA
J Biomech Eng 127:899-904. 2005..Initial testing revealed the intelligent diagnostic system can differentiate between normal healthy heart sounds and abnormal heart sounds (e.g., murmurs), with a specificity of 70.5% and a sensitivity of 64.7%...
- Pre-operative detection of valvular heart disease by anaesthetistsW A Van Klei
University Medical Centre Utrecht, Department Peri operative Care and Emergency Medicine, PO Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Anaesthesia 61:127-32. 2006..Pre-operative cardiac auscultation seems only reasonable in patients aged 40 years or older. Subsequent echocardiography in these selected patients is necessary...
- Detection of cardiac pathology: time intervals and spectral analysisMilad El-Segaier
Department of Paediatrics, Division of Paediatric Cardiology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Acta Paediatr 96:1036-42. 2007..To develop an objective diagnostic method that facilitates detection of noncyanotic congenital heart diseases...
- Echocardiographic study on the origin of the innocent flow murmursA Celebi
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Dr Siyami Ersek Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Center and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Pediatr Cardiol 27:19-24. 2006....
- Heart murmur and anaemia in the pediatric populationSenka Mesihović-Dinarević
Paediatric Clinic, Clinical Centre University of Sarajevo, Faculty of Medicine University of Sarajevo, Bolnicka 25, 71000 Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosn J Basic Med Sci 5:39-45. 2005..Innocent murmurs in children with sideropenic anaemia occur as its consequence. After adequately conducted iron therapy, i.e. cured anaemia, heart murmurs were not auscultated...
- [Heart Murmurs--what must the family physician know?]R Pfister
Medizinische Klinik III, Universitat zu Koln
MMW Fortschr Med 149:40-4; quiz 45. 2007..Factors to be considered in the evaluation of murmurs are loudness, phase of the cycle (systole/diastole), localization, character and radiation of the sound and also the state of health, age and sex of the patient...
- Diagnosing aortic valve stenosis by correlation analysis of wavelet filtered heart soundsJ Herold
Department of Medical Engineering, University of Applied Sciences, Jena, Germany
Med Biol Eng Comput 43:451-6. 2005..The wavelet and correlation-based heart sound analysis system should be useful to general practitioners for low-cost, easy-to-use automatic diagnosis of aortic valve stenoses...
- Qualitative and quantitative evaluation of heart sound reduction from lung sound recordingsJanuary Gnitecki
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 5V6, Canada
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 52:1788-92. 2005..Novel processes for quantitative and qualitative evaluation of any method for HS reduction from LS have also been proposed...
- [Echocardiographic findings in children with "innocent" murmur]Cora Firpo
Trabalho realizado no setor de Cardiologia Pediátrica do Instituto de Cardiologia do Rio Grande do Sul Fundação Universitária de Cardiologia, Porto Alegre, RS
Rev Assoc Med Bras 52:261-4. 2006..To access the frequency of abnormal echocardiographic findings in patients with diagnosis of innocent murmur...
- Teaching cardiac auscultation to trainees in internal medicine and family practice: does it work?B Favrat
Division of Cardiology and Outpatient Clinic, University Hospital of Lausanne Switzerland
BMC Med Educ 4:5. 2004..2) To evaluate the impact of a five-month bedside cardiac auscultation training program...
- [The art of cardiac auscultation]H S Fuessl
MMW Fortschr Med 149:27-30. 2007..Clinically significant sounds and therefore requiring further clarification must be filtered out from the many innocent heart murmurs. This is possible only with time, patience and constant practice...
- Causes of false-negative auscultation of regurgitant lesions: a Doppler echocardiographic study of 294 patientsE L Kinney
Cardiology Division, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida
J Gen Intern Med 3:429-34. 1988..This study suggests that there is a high prevalence of "silent" murmurs, and that not hearing a regurgitant murmur does not suffice to rule out the presence of regurgitation...
- Echocardiography or auscultation? How to evaluate systolic murmursClarence Shub
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Can Fam Physician 49:163-7. 2003..To compare cardiac physical examination with echocardiography for evaluating systolic murmurs...
- A relative value method for measuring and evaluating cardiac reserveShouzhong Xiao
Biomedical Engineering Department, Chongqing University, Chongqing 400044, China
Biomed Eng Online 1:6. 2002..However, we were able to devise some indicators with relative values for evaluating cardiac function...
- Generalized blind delayed source separation model for online non-invasive twin-fetal sound separation: a phantom studyVivek Nigam
Ikoa, Inc, Menlo Park, CA, 94025, USA
J Med Syst 32:123-35. 2008..The performance of the algorithm is verified through simulation results and on experimental data obtained from a phantom that is used to simulate a twin pregnancy...
- Heart murmur and N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide as predictors of death in 2977 consecutive hospitalized patientsKasper Iversen
Department of Cardiology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Med Sci 335:444-50. 2008..We wanted to test whether murmur predicts mortality in unselected patients admitted to the hospital and whether NT-pro-BNP is capable of distinguishing between innocent and significant murmurs...
- [Stethoscopy of the heart]Brian Bridal Løgstrup
Sygehus Fyn Svendborg, Medicinsk afdeling, Svendborg
Ugeskr Laeger 170:2788-90. 2008
- Angiographic demonstration of spontaneous occlusion of systemic arterial supply in pulmonary sequestrationZ Lababidi
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Children's Hospital, Columbia, MO, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 24:406-8. 2003..Repeat catheterization and aortography, performed to evaluate complaints of chest pain at age 13 years, showed no flow through the previously demonstrated systemic arterial supply from the aorta...
- Heart murmurs recorded by a sensor based electronic stethoscope and e-mailed for remote assessmentL B Dahl
Department of Paediatrics, University Hospital of Tromsø, Norway
Arch Dis Child 87:297-301; discussion 297-301. 2002..A new service for remote auscultation (telemedicine) of heart murmurs in children was established where heart sounds and short texts were sent as an attachment to e-mails...
- The diagnosis of heart disease by clinical assessment aloneMichael A Chizner
The Heart Center of Excellence, North Broward Hospital District, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Dis Mon 48:7-98. 2002
- [Is transmission of heart murmurs via e-mail cost saving?]Trine S Bergmo
Nasjonalt senter for telemedisin, Postboks 35, 9038 Tromsø
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 124:785-7. 2004..41 clinics in the North Norway healt region have invested in equipment that makes pre-recorded sound referrals possible. This study analyses whether this investment is a cost-saving technology or not...
- Evaluation of a screening protocol using auscultation and portable echocardiography to detect asymptomatic rheumatic heart disease in Tongan schoolchildrenJonathan R Carapetis
Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Australia
Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 5:411-7. 2008..Screening can detect cases earlier, but there are no screening guidelines...
- Application of the matching pursuit method in a fetal phonocardiographic telemedicine systemCs Horvath
Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Budapest, Hungary
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:1892-5. 2007....
- Computerized heart sounds analysisS M Debbal
Department of Electronics, Faculty of Science Engineering, University A B Belkaid Tlemcen, BP 119, Tlemcen 13000, Algeria
Comput Biol Med 38:263-80. 2008..The studied techniques (FT, STFT, WD, CWT, DWT and PWT) of analysis can thus be regarded as complementary in the TF analysis of the PCG signal; each will relate to a part distinct from the analysis in question...
- A computer-aided MFCC-based HMM system for automatic auscultationSunita Chauhan
School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 639798, Singapore
Comput Biol Med 38:221-33. 2008..7% for continuous murmurs, 96.25% for systolic murmurs and 90% for diastolic murmurs by a probabilistic comparison approach. This implies a high potential for the system as a diagnostic aid for primary health-care sectors...
- [A 76-year-old man with a murmur after myocardial infarction]Alexander Wahba
St Elisabeth Klinikk for hjerte og lungekirurgi, St Olavs Hospital, Hans Nissensgate 3, 7018 Trondheim
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 128:46-8. 2008..The present case underscores the importance of cardiac auscultation in patients with suspected myocardial infarction before angiography or primary coronary intervention is performed...
- Computer-assisted detection of systolic murmurs associated with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: a pilot studyRaymond L Watrous
Zargis Medical Corporation, Princeton, NJ 08540, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 31:368-75. 2004....
- Approach to a child with a heart murmurBanani Poddar
Department of Pediatrics, Govt Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, India
Indian J Pediatr 71:63-6. 2004..Pediatricians are capable of differentiating one from the other, provided a detailed evaluation is done. This article outlines the salient features of innocent murmurs that help us recognize them clinically...
- An assessment of the terminology used by diplomates and students to describe the character of equine mitral and aortic valve regurgitant murmurs: correlations with the physical properties of the soundsJonathan M Naylor
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Vet Intern Med 17:332-6. 2003..Effective communication could be enhanced by playing examples of reference sounds when these terms are taught so that nomenclature is used more uniformly...
- A decision tree--based method for the differential diagnosis of Aortic Stenosis from Mitral Regurgitation using heart soundsSotiris A Pavlopoulos
National Technical University of Athens, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Biomedical Engineering Laboratory, Iroon Polytexniou Zografou 15773, Athens, Greece
Biomed Eng Online 3:21. 2004..echocardiography, color Doppler, CT, and MRI provide more direct and accurate evidence of heart disease than heart auscultation. However, these modalities are costly, large in size and operationally complex and therefore are not ..
- Infective endocarditis due to Haemophilus aphrophilus: a case reportRicardo M Pereira
Enfermaria de Pediatria, Hospital de Clinicas, Universidade de Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Pediatr (Rio J) 84:178-80. 2008..To report the case of a child with infective endocarditis caused by Haemophilus aphrophilus...
- [Severe hemodynamic instability during the use of isoflurane in a patient with idiopathic scoliosis: case report.]Adriano Bechara de Souza Hobaika
Santa Casa de Belo Horizonte
Rev Bras Anestesiol 57:177-81. 2007..The objective of this report was to present a case of severe hemodynamic instability in a patient with idiopathic scoliosis...
- Clinical and biochemical changes in 53 Swedish dogs bitten by the European adder--Vipera berusJessica Berger Lervik
Södra Animal Hospital, Månskärsvägen 13, S 141 75 Kungens Kurva, Sweden
Acta Vet Scand 52:26. 2010..This prospective study investigated clinical signs, some biochemical parameters, treatment, and progress of disease after snakebite in 53 dogs. Effects of treatment with and without glucocorticoids were evaluated...
- Clinical presentation of left atrial cardiac myxoma. A series of 112 consecutive casesL Pinede
Department of Internal Medicine, Edouard Herriot Hospital, 69437 Lyons, France
Medicine (Baltimore) 80:159-72. 2001..The recurrence rate is low (5%), but long-term follow-up and serial echocardiography are advisable especially for young patients...
- Subclinical rheumatic valvitis: a long-term follow-upCristina Costa Duarte Lanna
Division of Paediatric Cardiology, Department of Paediatrics, Hospital das Clinicas, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Cardiol Young 13:431-8. 2003....
- [Subclinical carditis during an initial attack of acute rheumatic fever: contribution of colored Doppler echocardiography and therapeutic advantages]G Chehab
Departement de Cardiologie, Université Libanaise, Faculté des Sciences médicales, Dekwaneh Beyrouth, Liban
J Med Liban 49:311-5. 2001..To determine and to evaluate valvular involvement, in particular subclinical, as confirmed by colored Doppler echocardiography (CDE) during an initial attack of acute rheumatic fever (ARF). Means of diagnosis and therapeutic implications...
- Contrast echocardiography in Boxer dogs with and without aortic stenosisKatja Hoglund
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
J Vet Cardiol 9:15-24. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate whether contrast echocardiography could enhance the subcostal Doppler signal for aortic flow measurements and achieve myocardial opacification, in Boxer dogs with and without AS...
- Use of multimedia on the step 1 and step 2 clinical knowledge components of USMLE: a controlled trial of the impact on item characteristicsKathleen Z Holtzman
National Board of Examiners, 3750 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Acad Med 84:S90-3. 2009..This study investigated the impact of presenting cardiac auscultation findings in multimedia versus text format on item characteristics...
- [Rheumatic heart disease in schoolchildren in Brazzaville]G Kimbally-Kaky
Service de cardiologie et médecine interne, CHU de Brazzaville, Congo
Med Trop (Mars) 68:603-5. 2008..Compliance with prophylactic treatment using benzathyn penicillin was 75% after one month of follow-up and 37.5% after three months...
- [Echocardiography is necessary to confirm the presence and severity of valvular heart disease]Teruyoshi Kume
Department of Cardiology, Kawasaki Medical School, Kurashiki, Japan
Kyobu Geka 60:647-52. 2007..measures of severity of aortic regurgitation are helpful, using the rate of decline in regurgitant gradient measured by the slope of diastolic flow velocity, or using the degree of reversal in pulse wave velocity in the descending aorta..
- Sudden death in athletes: an updateL G Futterman
School of Medicine, University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Medical Center, Florida, USA
Sports Med 26:335-50. 1998..Until reliable methods can accurately identify those athletes at risk for SCD, broad recommendations are available to help guide the management and participation in sports of athletes with cardiovascular disease...
- Simultaneous thromboses of double coronary arteries in a young male with antithrombin III deficiencyChung Ming Tu
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Song Shan Armed Forces General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Am J Emerg Med 27:1169.e3-6. 2009....
- Mitral valve prolapse in Cavalier King Charles spaniel: a review and case studyChangbaig Hyun
Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, 384 Victoria St Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
J Vet Sci 6:67-73. 2005..The dog was then released and is being medicated with angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor with regular follow-up...
- Incorporating simulation technology in a canadian internal medicine specialty examination: a descriptive reportRose Hatala
Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Acad Med 80:554-6. 2005..Combining an SP with simulation technology may be one approach to the assessment of clinical competence in high-stakes testing situations...
- Rigid spine syndrome: a noninvasive cardiac evaluationJoerg Patrick Stübgen
Department of Neurology, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
Pediatr Cardiol 29:45-9. 2008..b>Heart auscultation was abnormal in five patients. Creatine kinase MB fraction was normal in all patients...
- Low occurrence of ischemic heart disease among Inuit around 1963 suggested from ECG among 1851 East Greenland InuitMarie Kjaergaard
Department of Internal Medicine, Queen Ingrids Hospital, Nuuk, Greenland
Atherosclerosis 203:599-603. 2009..The cardiovascular risk profile among Inuit has changed over the past four decades with the introduction of a western life style. An unaltered prevalence of coronary heart disease has been proposed, but no pre-westernisation data exist...
- Role of history and physical examination in preoperative evaluationW A Van Klei
University Medical Centre Utrecht, Department of Perioperative Care and Emergency Medicine, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Anaesthesiol 20:612-8. 2003....
- Reversion of left ventricular systolic dysfunction and abnormal stress test: by catheter ablation, in a patient with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome from Para-Hisian Kent bundleChung Ming Tu
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Song Shan Armed Forces General Hospital, Taipei 105, Taiwan, Republic of China
Tex Heart Inst J 37:483-5. 2010..Physicians who are armed with this knowledge can avoid performing coronary angiography unnecessarily. Catheter ablation can reverse the dyssynchrony of the ventricle and improve the patient's symptoms...
- A case of long-term sildenafil therapy in a young dog with pulmonary hypertensionYumiko Toyoshima
Toyoshima Animal Hospital, Aichi, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 69:1073-5. 2007..Follow-up after therapy for 4 years revealed that treatment with oral sildenafil only continued to provide the dog with an excellent quality of life, without any side effects...
- Atrial fibrillation in Mediterranean spotted feverClaudia Colomba
Dipartimento di Scienze per la Promozione della Salute, Sezione di Malattie Infettive, Universita di Palermo, Via del Vespro 129, Palermo, Italy
J Med Microbiol 57:1424-6. 2008..Our patient was previously healthy and had no reported history of cardiac disease. This suggests that heart function should be monitored in MSF patients even in the absence of underlying risk factors...
- School screening in remote aboriginal communities--results of an evaluationB Paterson
Territory Health Services, Northern Territory, Casuarina
Aust N Z J Public Health 22:685-9. 1998..screening, urinalysis was abnormal in 19%, 3% failed visual acuity and 6% were considered to have abnormal heart auscultation. Many of the major health problems did not meet the recommended criteria for screening programs and others ..
- [Cor triatriatum sinister in a 19-year-old patient]Serdar Sevimli
Department of Cardiology, Medicine Faculty of Atatürk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars 36:259-62. 2008..The patient was submitted to surgical correction...
- An unusual cause of atrial fibrillation: exposure to insecticidesHakan Topacoglu
Department of Emergency Medicine, School of Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University, Inciralti, Izmir, Turkey
Am J Ind Med 50:48-9. 2007..Although there are many well-known cardiac results of insecticide poisoning, atrial fibrillation (AF) has not been reported as the result of insecticide intoxication...
- A prospective study of systolic ejection murmurs and left ventricular outflow tract in boxersK Hoglund
Department of Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
J Small Anim Pract 52:11-7. 2011..To investigate the prevalence and progression of murmurs and the development of the left ventricular outflow tract (LVOT) and flow velocities in the great arteries in boxer puppies through adolescence until three years of age...
- Aetiology and outcome in 90 cats presenting with dyspnoea in a referral populationS Swift
University of Liverpool Small Animal Teaching Hospital, Wirral
J Small Anim Pract 50:466-73. 2009..Dyspnoeic cats often have significant underlying disease. Underlying aetiologies in cats that presented with dyspnoea were reviewed, and associations with patient signalment and outcome were investigated...
- The athletic preparticipation evaluation: cardiovascular assessmentElizabeth A Giese
Buedingen Army Health Clinic, Buedingen, Germany
Am Fam Physician 75:1008-14. 2007..Athletes with "red flag" signs or symptoms may need activity restriction, special testing, and referral if the diagnosis is unclear...
- Congenital heart diseases in the newborn: from the pediatrician's request to the cardiologist's evaluationIvan Romero Rivera
Universidade Federal de Alagoas, Maceio, AL, Brasil
Arq Bras Cardiol 89:6-10. 2007..To analyze the importance of symptoms as a reason for referral to pediatric cardiologists in the diagnosis of congenital heart diseases (CHD) in the newborn (NB)...
- Ventricular septal defects in cattle: a retrospective study of 25 casesSébastien Buczinski
Departement des Sciences Cliniques, Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Universite de Montreal, 3200 Sicotte C P 5000, Saint Hyacinthe, Quebec
Can Vet J 47:246-52. 2006..Inadequate reproductive performance was owners' most common complaint (4 of 6 heifers)...
- Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome leading to massive pulmonary embolism and sudden deathFuat Gundogdu
Department of Cardiology, Medicine Faculty of Atatürk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars 36:467-9. 2008..A diagnosis of massive pulmonary embolism was considered. During preparation for emergency operation, the patient developed cardiovascular collapse, which did not respond to cardiopulmonary resuscitation...
- Percutaneous embolization of a congenital aortocaval fistula--clinical caseAlexandre Antunes
Serviço de Cardiologia Pediátrica Cardiologia, Hospitais da Universidade de Coimbra, Coimbra
Rev Port Cardiol 22:1101-6. 2003..No complications were recorded and six-month follow-up confirmed absence of shunt. Compared to the surgical option, this procedure is less invasive and apparently with less risk to the patient...
- Unusual course of infective endocarditis: acute renal failure progressing to chronic renal failureAlper Sevinc
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Sahinbey Medical Center, Gaziantep University, Turkey
J Natl Med Assoc 98:651-4. 2006..Although treated with antibiotics combined with surgery, renal functions were deteriorated and progressed to chronic renal failure...
- Simulation-based mastery learning improves cardiac auscultation skills in medical studentsJohn Butter
Augusta Webster, MD Office of Medical Education and Faculty Development, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
J Gen Intern Med 25:780-5. 2010..Cardiac auscultation is a core clinical skill. However, prior studies show that trainee skills are often deficient and that clinical experience is not a proxy for competence...
- [Congenital malformations of the tricuspid valve in domestic carnivores: a retrospective study of 50 cases]V Chetboul
Unité de Cardiologie d Alfort, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd 146:265-75. 2004..Last, the prognosis of RAVM was worsened by atrial fibrillation and right-sided heart failure...
- 'Giant fleshy leaflet myxoma'Ali Reza Moaref
Cardiology Department, Nemazee Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Science, Zand Avenue, P O Box 71435 1414, Shiraz, Iran
Eur J Echocardiogr 9:171-2. 2008..The mass was excised and mitral valve was repaired. Histology was diagnostic for myxoma. Six months clinical and echocardiographic follow-up was normal and did not show any recurrence of tumor...
- Cardiac myxomas--clinical spectrum and outcomeFateh Ali Tipoo Sultan
Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 16:501-3. 2006..To describe the characteristics and outcome of patients with cardiac myxomas...
- [A 78-year-old man with unruptured aneurysm of Valsalva found accidentally by syncope during straining]Megumi Horiguchi
Division of Cardiology, Uwajima City Hospital
Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 46:259-63. 2009..Because of his low activity of daily living owing to old cerebral infarction, we managed the patient conservatively...
- Patients' desires and expectations for medical care: a challenge to improving patient satisfactionJ K Zemencuk
Veterans Affairs Center for Practice Management and Outcomes Research, Ann Arbor VA Medical Center Health Services Research and Development Field Program, MI 48113 0170, USA
Am J Med Qual 14:21-7. 1999..Desire ranged from 33% for a blood test to check for anemia to 80% for heart auscultation. Desire for specialty referral for hypothetical scenarios averaged 71% and 61% among VA Medical Center ..
- Aubrey Leatham and the introduction of cardiac pacing to the UKA John Camm
British Heart Foundation Professor of Clinical Cardiology, St George s Hospital and University of London, Cranmer Terrace, London SW17 0RE, UK
Europace 12:1356-9. 2010..The nickel-cadmium 'accumulator', which powered the pacemaker, had to be recharged once a week...
- Differential diagnostic algorithm for diseases manifested with heart murmurs syndromeLeonid B Naumov
Center for Medical Decision Making, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 9:331-9. 2009..It completely corresponds to the practical purposes of reliable diagnostics of 35 illnesses, manifested by heart murmurs at a heart auscultation.
- [Closure of coronary fistula with the Amplatzer duct occluder system]Angelo Ramondo
U O di Emodinamica e Cardiologia Interventistica, Policlinico Universitario, Via Giustiniani, 2 35128 Padova
Ital Heart J Suppl 3:952-4. 2002..At 1-month follow-up the patient was totally asymptomatic. Cardiac auscultation revealed that the murmur was no longer detectable. Current guidelines for the treatment of coronary fistulas and on their percutaneous closure are discussed...
- Cardiac auscultation in sports medicine: strategies to improve clinical careMichael J Barrett
Lehigh Valley Health Network, Blue Bell, PA 19422, USA
Curr Sports Med Rep 11:78-84. 2012..Sample audio files of two important murmurs, i.e., an innocent murmur and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, are provided online with this review...
- An assessment of the ability of diplomates, practitioners, and students to describe and interpret recordings of heart murmurs and arrhythmiaJ M Naylor
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
J Vet Intern Med 15:507-15. 2001..Digital sonograms that combine sound files with synchronous visual interpretations may be useful in this regard...
- External Counterpulsation in Acute Coronary SyndromeAndrew Michaels; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- MATURATION, HYPOXIA AND AFFERENT FEEDBACK ON RESPIRATIONMetin Akay; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will be applied to piglets at advancing postnatal ages during eupnea, before and after vagotomy, hypercapnia and hypoxic gasping, in the presence and absence of chemodenervation. ..
- Doppler characterization of embryonic mouse circulationColin Phoon; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Measures to Lower Genital Tract Trauma at BirthLeah Albers; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Third International Neural Engineering Conference 2007Metin Akay; Fiscal Year: 2007..We strongly believe that the neural engineering conference further stimulates neural engineering research and education among neuroscientists, chemists, engineers, computer scientists and mathematicians. ..
- Improved Acoustic Detection of Coronary BlockagesJohn Semmlow; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specifically, a successful outcome of Phase I will be the ability to detect blockages of 30% to 85% with a sensitivity greater than > 90 % and a specificity greater than 80% in a retrospective data analysis. ..