Genomes and Genes
Summary: The determination of the nature of a disease or condition, or the distinguishing of one disease or condition from another. Assessment may be made through physical examination, laboratory tests, or the likes. Computerized programs may be used to enhance the decision-making process.
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- Quality of diagnosis and procedure coding in ICD-10 administrative dataToni Henderson
Victorian Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Australia
Med Care 44:1011-9. 2006....
- Head and neck cancer: changing epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatmentShanthi Marur
Bunting Blaustein CRB1 G92, 1650 Orleans St, Baltimore, MD 21231 1000, USA smarur1 jhmi edu
Mayo Clin Proc 83:489-501. 2008....
- Antigen retrieval immunohistochemistry: review and future prospects in research and diagnosis over two decadesShan Rong Shi
Department of Pathology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 59:13-32. 2011..of many different investigators have coalesced in extending the AR approach to all areas of anatomic pathology diagnosis and research and further have led to AR-based protein extraction techniques and tissue-based proteomics...
- Simple telemedicine for developing regions: camera phones and paper-based microfluidic devices for real-time, off-site diagnosisAndres W Martinez
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Anal Chem 80:3699-707. 2008..information from the assay site to an off-site laboratory for analysis by a trained medical professional; the diagnosis then can be returned directly to the healthcare provider in the field...
- Problematizing retrospective diagnosis in the history of diseaseJon Arrizabalaga
Asclepio 54:51-70. 2002
- Saliva metabolomics opens door to biomarker discovery, disease diagnosis, and treatmentAihua Zhang
National TCM Key Lab of Serum Pharmacochemistry, Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine, Heping Road 24, Harbin 150040, China
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 168:1718-27. 2012..In particular, proof of principle has been demonstrated for salivary biomarker research...
- Heuristics and biases: selected errors in clinical reasoningA S Elstein
Department of Medical Education, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago 60612 7309, USA
Acad Med 74:791-4. 1999Many clinical decisions are made in uncertainty. When the diagnosis is uncertain, the goal is to establish a diagnosis or to treat even if the diagnosis remains unknown. If the diagnosis is known (e.g...
- Diagnosis and treatment of acromegaly complicationsA Giustina
University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 26:1242-7. 2003..in conjunction with the European Neuroendocrine Association held a consensus workshop to develop guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of the co-morbid complications of acromegaly...
- Diagnosis clusters for emergency medicineDebbie A Travers
Department of Emergency Medicine, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7594, USA
Acad Emerg Med 10:1337-44. 2003Aggregated emergency department (ED) data are useful for research, ED operations, and public health surveillance. Diagnosis data are widely available as The International Classification of Diseases, version, 9, Clinical Modification (ICD-..
- The tyranny of the diagnosis codeVergil N Slee
Health Commons Institute, USA
N C Med J 66:331-7. 2005..medical informatics experts recognize that our EMR must have codes for the exact diagnoses of the patient (diagnosis entities)...
- Retrospective diagnosis: use and abuse in medical historiographyA Karenberg
Institute for the History of Medicine and Medical Ethics, University of Cologne, Koln, Germany
Prague Med Rep 110:140-5. 2009..sometimes called pathographies, constitute the by far largest section of publications dealing with historical diagnosis. The procedure of attaching modern diagnostic labels to illustrious personalities of the past, i.e...
- Length of stay and imminent discharge probability distributions from multistage models: variation by diagnosis, severity of illness, and hospitalGary W Harrison
Department of Mathematics, College of Charleston, 66 George Street, Charleston, SC 29424, USA
Health Care Manag Sci 13:268-79. 2010..Our study objective was to determine whether such models could be used for patient groups restricted by diagnosis, severity of illness, or hospital in order to facilitate comparisons conditioned on these factors...
- Clinical problem solving and diagnostic decision making: selective review of the cognitive literatureArthur S Elstein
Department of Medical Education, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60612 7309, USA
BMJ 324:729-32. 2002
- Use of methodological search filters to identify diagnostic accuracy studies can lead to the omission of relevant studiesM M G Leeflang
Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 59:234-40. 2006..To determine the usefulness of methodological filters in search strategies for diagnostic studies in systematic reviews...
- Googling for a diagnosis--use of Google as a diagnostic aid: internet based studyHangwi Tang
Department of Respiratory and Sleep Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Q4102, Australia
BMJ 333:1143-5. 2006To determine how often searching with Google (the most popular search engine on the world wide web) leads doctors to the correct diagnosis.
- Is the volume of blood cultured still a significant factor in the diagnosis of bloodstream infections?Emilio Bouza
Division of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 45:2765-9. 2007..08). We conclude that the higher yield of blood cultures inoculated with lower volumes of blood reflects the conditions of the population cultured. Washington's dictum holds true today in the era of automated blood culture machines...
- The diagnostic role of gut feelings in general practice. A focus group study of the concept and its determinantsErik Stolper
School for Public Health and Primary Care, Department of General Practice, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
BMC Fam Pract 10:17. 2009..The goal of our study was therefore to describe the concept of gut feelings in general practice and to identify their main determinants..
- All-cause and diagnosis-specific sickness absence as a predictor of sustained suboptimal health: a 14-year follow-up in the GAZEL cohortJussi Vahtera
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Lemminkäisenkatu 14 18, Turku FIN 20520, Finland
J Epidemiol Community Health 64:311-7. 2010..The aim of this study was to investigate overall and diagnosis-specific sickness absences as predictors of sustained suboptimal health.
- Teaching clinical reasoning: case-based and coachedJerome P Kassirer
Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Acad Med 85:1118-24. 2010Optimal medical care is critically dependent on clinicians' skills to make the right diagnosis and to recommend the most appropriate therapy, and acquiring such reasoning skills is a key requirement at every level of medical education...
- Comparative evaluation of commonly used laboratory tests for post-mortem diagnosis of rabiesMala Chhabra
WHO Collaborating Centre for Rabies Epidemiology, National Institute of Communicable Diseases, 22 Sham Nath Marg, Delhi
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 48:190-3. 2005..tested by Seller's stain, Fluorescent Antibody Test (FAT) and Mouse Innoculation Test (MIT) as methods of rabies diagnosis. Negri bodies on Seller's staining could be detected in 52...
- From vagueness in medical thought to the foundations of fuzzy reasoning in medical diagnosisRudolf Seising
Section on Medical Expert and Knowledge Based Systems, Core Unit for Medical Statistics and Informatics, Medical University of Vienna, Spitalgasse 23, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Artif Intell Med 38:237-56. 2006This article delineates a relatively unknown path in the history of medical philosophy and medical diagnosis. It is concerned with the phenomenon of vagueness in the physician's "style of thinking" and with the use of fuzzy sets, systems,..
- Refining clinical diagnosis with likelihood ratiosDavid A Grimes
Family Health International, PO Box 13950, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Lancet 365:1500-5. 2005Likelihood ratios can refine clinical diagnosis on the basis of signs and symptoms; however, they are underused for patients' care...
- Lipidomics of the red cell in diagnosis of human disordersPeter J Quinn
Life Sciences, King s College, London, UK
Methods Mol Biol 579:127-59. 2009..Both methods have been evaluated and have been shown to be suitable for diagnosis and/or monitoring for a variety of human disorders.
- A decision support system for cost-effective diagnosisChih Lin Chi
Center for Biomedical Informatics, Harvard Medical School, 10 Shattuck Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Artif Intell Med 50:149-61. 2010Speed, cost, and accuracy are three important goals in disease diagnosis. This paper proposes a machine learning-based expert system algorithm to optimize these goals and assist diagnostic decisions in a sequential decision-making setting.
- Doggie diagnosis, diagnostic success and diagnostic reasoning strategies: an alternative viewGeoffrey R Norman
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, McMaster University, Room 2C14, Health Sciences Centre, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
Med Educ 37:676-7. 2003
- Fuzzy theory approach for temporal model-based diagnosis: An application to medical domainsJose Palma
Departamento de Ingeniería de la Información y las Comunicaciones, Facultad de Informatica, Campus de Espinardo, Universidad de Murcia 30100, Spain
Artif Intell Med 38:197-218. 2006....
- Reliability of post-mortem psychiatric diagnosis for neuroscience researchNina Sundqvist
Schizophrenia Research Institute and Discipline of Pathology, Blackburn Building D06, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 42:221-7. 2008The validity of post-mortem human brain research relies upon accurate clinical and psychopathological diagnosis. Current literature indicates few instances where standardized diagnostic assessment tools such as the Diagnostic Instrument ..
- Views of diagnosis distribution in primary care in 2.5 million encounters in Stockholm: a comparison between ICD-10 and SNOMED CTAnna Vikström
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Center for Family and Community Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Inform Prim Care 18:17-29. 2010..A poly-hierarchical system supports the representation and aggregation of healthcare data on the basis of specific medical aspects and various levels of clinical detail...
- Classifier ensemble construction with rotation forest to improve medical diagnosis performance of machine learning algorithmsAkin Ozcift
University of Gaziantep, Gaziantep Vocational School of Higher Education, Computer Programming Division, Gaziantep, Turkey
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 104:443-51. 2011Improving accuracies of machine learning algorithms is vital in designing high performance computer-aided diagnosis (CADx) systems...
- Instance-based classifiers applied to medical databases: diagnosis and knowledge extractionFrancesco Gagliardi
Department of Philosophy, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Artif Intell Med 52:123-39. 2011....
- Scripts and medical diagnostic knowledge: theory and applications for clinical reasoning instruction and researchB Charlin
Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Acad Med 75:182-90. 2000Medical diagnosis is a categorization task that allows physicians to make predictions about features of clinical situations and to determine appropriate course of action...
- An evaluation of telemedicine in surgery: telediagnosis compared with direct diagnosisN Demartines
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Basel, Switzerland
Arch Surg 135:849-53. 2000..Telemedicine for real-time transmission of clinical documents and interactive remote telediagnosis allows accurate clinical application in surgery...
- Latent class model diagnosisE S Garrett
Oncology Center, Division of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 550 North Broadway, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Biometrics 56:1055-67. 2000..This paper develops procedures for assessing Markov chain Monte Carlo convergence and model diagnosis and for selecting the number of categories for the latent variable based on evidence in the data using Markov ..
- Metabonomic applications in toxicity screening and disease diagnosisJohn P Shockcor
Biomedical Sciences Division, Imperial College, South Kensington, London, UK
Curr Top Med Chem 2:35-51. 2002..In this article, we review the recent developments in metabonomics and consider their application in toxicological screening, disease diagnosis and functional genomics.
- Presenting the problem in pediatric encounters: "symptoms only" versus "candidate diagnosis" presentationsTanya Stivers
Department of Pediatrics General Pediatrics, University of California at Los Angeles, 90095 1752, USA
Health Commun 14:299-338. 2002..problem presentations, which offer "symptoms only" versus problem presentations, which also include a "candidate diagnosis." This article suggests that parents who offer only symptoms in their problem presentations are hearable as ..
- Simplifying likelihood ratiosSteven McGee
University of Washington Seattle Puget Sound VA Health Care System, Seattle, Wash 98108, USA
J Gen Intern Med 17:646-9. 2002..Several examples illustrate how the clinician can use this method to refine diagnostic decisions at the bedside...
- Identifying diagnostic studies in MEDLINE: reducing the number needed to readLucas M Bachmann
University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Am Med Inform Assoc 9:653-8. 2002..The objective of this study was to construct and validate better search strategies to identify diagnostic articles recorded on MEDLINE with special emphasis on precision...
- Latent class model diagnosis from a frequentist point of viewAnton K Formann
Department of Psychology, University of Vienna, Liebiggasse 5, A 1010 Wien, Austria
Biometrics 59:189-96; discussion 197-8. 2003..56, 1055-1067) who, within the Bayesian framework, developed mainly graphical methods for latent class model diagnosis. Possible problems with this approach, and with its application to both generated and empirical data, are ..
- Ruling a diagnosis in or out with "SpPIn" and "SnNOut": a note of cautionDaniel Pewsner
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Bern, Switzerland
BMJ 329:209-13. 2004
- Is the communicative behavior of GPs during the consultation related to the diagnosis? A cross-sectional study in six European countriesMyriam Deveugele
Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care, Ghent University, UZ 1K3 De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
Patient Educ Couns 54:283-9. 2004This study explores the relation between the diagnosis made by the general practitioner (GP) and his or her communicative behavior within a consultation, by means of the analysis of 2095 videotaped consultations of 168 GPs from six ..
- Systems biology and new technologies enable predictive and preventative medicineLeroy Hood
Institute for Systems Biology, Seattle, WA, USA
Science 306:640-3. 2004..Such concepts are transforming current diagnostic and therapeutic approaches to medicine and, together with new technologies, will enable a predictive and preventive medicine that will lead to personalized medicine...
- Disclosure of cancer diagnosis and prognosis: a survey of the general public's attitudes toward doctors and family holding discretionary powersHiroaki Miyata
Department of Social Gerontology, School of Health Sciences and Nursing, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
BMC Med Ethics 5:E7. 2004This study aimed to ask a sample of the general population about their preferences regarding doctors holding discretionary powers in relation to disclosing cancer diagnosis and prognosis.
- Autofluorescence spectroscopy of cells and tissues as a tool for biomedical diagnosisGiovanni Bottiroli
Photochem Photobiol Sci 3:189-210. 2004..An overview of the endogenous fluorophores responsible for the autofluorescence is given concerning the photophysical properties and their dependence on the evolution of the biological condition of cells and tissues...
- Analysis of the characteristics of epilepsy in 37 patients with the molecular diagnosis of Angelman syndromeMarta Galván-Manso
Neuropediatric Service, Unidad Integrada Hospital Sant Joan de Déu Clínic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Epileptic Disord 7:19-25. 2005..We retrospectively reviewed the medical histories of 37 patients, all with the molecular diagnosis of Angelman syndrome and at least three years of follow-up in our neurology department, for further information ..
- Quality of reporting of diagnostic accuracy studiesNynke Smidt
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, VU University Medical Center, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Radiology 235:347-53. 2005..To evaluate quality of reporting in diagnostic accuracy articles published in 2000 in journals with impact factor of at least 4 by using items of Standards for Reporting of Diagnostic Accuracy (STARD) statement published later in 2003...
- Changes in diagnosis, treatment, and clinical improvement among patients receiving telemedicine consultationsJames P Marcin
Department of Pediatrics, University of California Davis Health System, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
Telemed J E Health 11:36-43. 2005..outpatient telemedicine specialty consultations to primary care clinicians result in changes in a patient's diagnosis, treatment management, and clinical outcomes...
- [Conventional hospitalization alternatives in internal medicine]Miquel Torres Salinas
Servicio de Meidicna Interna, Fundación Hospital de l Esperit Sant, Santa Coloma de Gramenet, Barcelona, Spain
Med Clin (Barc) 124:620-6. 2005
- Proteomics: from basic research to diagnostic application. A review of requirements & needsFrank Vitzthum
Dade Behring Marburg GmbH, Emil von Behring Strasse 76, PO Box 1149, 35041 Marburg, Germany
J Proteome Res 4:1086-97. 2005..It is mandatory to fulfill requirements in routine IVD, including disease prevention, diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment monitoring or follow up among others...
- Discrepancies between clinical and autopsy diagnosis and the value of post mortem histology; a meta-analysis and reviewJ Roulson
Department of Histopathology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK
Histopathology 47:551-9. 2005..the autopsy and particularly autopsy histology are being undermined, they are still the most accurate method of determining the cause of death and auditing accuracy of clinical diagnosis, diagnostic tests and death certification.
- The limited value of methylmalonic acid, homocysteine and holotranscobalamin in the diagnosis of early B12 deficiencyAndrew Goringe
Department of Haematology, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
Haematologica 91:231-4. 2006..B12 deficiency is important to prevent progressive neurological and/or hematologic disease but requires a secure diagnosis. The aim of this study was to evaluate second line tests of B12 status as prognostic indicators of a hematologic ..
- [Can primary care physicians use the ICD-9-MC? An evaluation of the quality of diagnosis coding in computerized medical records]Juan F Orueta
Subdirección de Atención Primaria, Osakidetza Servicio Vasco de Salud, Vitoria Gasteiz, Alava, Spain
Gac Sanit 20:194-201. 2006..To determine the completeness and accuracy of ICD-9-CM codes allocated by primary health care physicians in their computerized medical records and evaluate the effects of improvement procedures...
- Evidence based diagnosis: does the language reflect the theory?Matt T Bianchi
Partners Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
BMJ 333:442-5. 2006
- Update on bereavement research: evidence-based guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of complicated bereavementBaohui Zhang
Department of Psychiatry, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School Center for Palliative Care, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Psycho oncology and Palliative Care Research, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Palliat Med 9:1188-203. 2006....
- We should overcome the barriers to evidence-based clinical diagnosis!W Scott Richardson
Department of Medicine, Boonshoft School of Medicine, Wright State University, PO Box 927, Dayton, OH 45401, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 60:217-27. 2007..from health care research into diagnostic decisions could influence patient outcomes by improving clinical diagnosis, reducing unnecessary testing, and minimizing diagnostic error...
- The challenge of breath analysis for clinical diagnosis and therapeutic monitoringDavid Smith
Centre for Science and Technology in Medicine, School of Medicine, Keele University, Thornburrow Drive, Hartshill, Stoke on Trent, UKST4 7QB
Analyst 132:390-6. 2007The potential of breath analysis for clinical diagnosis and the strengths and weaknesses of the analytical methods used are discussed...
- Non-analytical models of clinical reasoning: the role of experienceGeoff Norman
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Med Educ 41:1140-5. 2007This paper aims to summarise the evidence supporting the role of experience-based, non-analytic reasoning (NAR) or pattern recognition as a central feature of expert medical diagnosis.
- Against diagnosisAndrew J Vickers
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ann Intern Med 149:200-3. 2008The act of diagnosis requires that patients be placed in a binary category of either having or not having a certain disease...
- Team-based learning using an audience response system: an innovative method of teaching diagnosis to undergraduate dental studentsRoberta Pileggi
University of Florida Health Science Center, College of Dentistry, Department of Endodontics, Room D10 37, P O Box 100436, Gainesville, FL 32610 0436, USA
J Dent Educ 72:1182-8. 2008..9 percent). Students also exhibited improved diagnostic skills with the final examination. The results of the students' attitudinal survey indicated an 80 percent agreement that TBL enhanced their powers of critical analysis...
- The prospects of glycan biomarkers for the diagnosis of diseasesCarlito B Lebrilla
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis, USA
Mol Biosyst 5:17-20. 2009..This opinion article argues the intrinsic advantages of using glycans as disease markers over other biomolecules and the potential of glycan profiling for diagnosing and determining the progression of disease...
- How does a pathologist make a diagnosis?Gil Patrus Pena
Servico de Anatomia Patologica, Hospital Felicio Rocho, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Arch Pathol Lab Med 133:124-32. 2009A pathologic diagnosis is the result of a complex series of activities, mastered by the pathologist. The nature of these activities is, however, rarely talked about in depth...
- A multimodal spectroscopy system for real-time disease diagnosisObrad R Scepanovic
George R Harrison Spectroscopy Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Ave 6 205, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Rev Sci Instrum 80:043103. 2009..As such, MMS is a promising tool for disease diagnosis, particularly in atherosclerosis and breast cancer...
- Diagnostic efficacy of midnight cortisol and midnight ACTH in the diagnosis and localisation of Cushing's syndromeMathew John
Department of Endocrinology, Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College and King Edward Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400012, India
Pituitary 13:48-53. 2010Classical tests for diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome (CS) like urine free cortisol and dexamethasone suppression tests have limitations in various clinical settings...
- Consensus on gut feelings in general practiceErik Stolper
School for Public Health and Primary Care CAPHRI, Department of General Practice, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
BMC Fam Pract 10:66. 2009..Research to validate the determinants and to assess the test properties of gut feelings requires precise and valid descriptions of gut feelings in general practice which can be used as a reliable measuring instrument...
- Fetal-maternal exchange of multipotent stem/progenitor cells: microchimerism in diagnosis and diseaseThomas Klonisch
Departments of Human Anatomy and Cell Science, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Trends Mol Med 15:510-8. 2009..We discuss diagnostic challenges, clinical applications and future research directions in this exciting and rapidly emerging field of allogeneic fetal-maternal cell exchange...
- An in-depth assessment of a diagnosis-based risk adjustment model based on national health insurance claims: the application of the Johns Hopkins Adjusted Clinical Group case-mix system in TaiwanHsien Yen Chang
Department of Health Policy and Management, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 624 N Broadway St, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
BMC Med 8:7. 2010b>Diagnosis-based risk adjustment is becoming an important issue globally as a result of its implications for payment, high-risk predictive modelling and provider performance assessment...
- Establishing a European research agenda on 'gut feelings' in general practice. A qualitative study using the nominal group techniqueErik Stolper
Maastricht University, Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, CAPHRI School for Public Health and Primary Care, Department of General Practice, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Gen Pract 16:75-9. 2010..Moreover, we were interested in the study designs considered appropriate to study these research questions...
- Phosphatidylserine targeting for diagnosis and treatment of human diseasesKristof Schutters
Department of Biochemistry, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Apoptosis 15:1072-82. 2010..Recently focus has shifted from diagnostic towards therapeutic applications employing annexin A5 in strategies to deliver drugs to cells that express PS at their surface...
- Geographic variation in diagnosis frequency and risk of death among Medicare beneficiariesH Gilbert Welch
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, Vermont, USA
JAMA 305:1113-8. 2011Because diagnosis is typically thought of as purely a patient attribute, it is considered a critical factor in risk-adjustment policies designed to reward efficient and high-quality care.
- From diagnosis to social diagnosisPhil Brown
Department of Sociology, Brown University, Box 1916, Providence, RI 02912 1916, United States
Soc Sci Med 73:939-43. 2011In the past two decades, research on the sociology of diagnosis has attained considerable influence within medical sociology...
- MAPLSC: a novel multi-class classifier for medical diagnosisMingyu You
The Key Laboratory of Embedded System and Service Computing, Ministry of Education, Department of Control Science and Engineering, Tongji University, Shanghai 201804, China
Int J Data Min Bioinform 5:383-401. 2011..Elaborated comparisons with other seven state-of-the-art methods on two TCM clinical datasets and four public microarray datasets demonstrate MAPLSC's remarkable improvements...
- Artefacts of not-knowing: the medical record, the diagnosis and the production of uncertainty in Papua New Guinean biomedicineAlice Street
Department of Anthropology, School of Global Studies, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Soc Stud Sci 41:815-34. 2011..Practices of not-knowing and knowing are therefore shown to be interdependent and interchangeable 'moments' of bureaucratic-biomedical work...
- An intelligent diagnosis method for rotating machinery using least squares mapping and a fuzzy neural networkKe Li
Graduate School of Bioresources, Mie University, 1577 Kurimamachiya cho, Tsu, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Sensors (Basel) 12:5919-39. 2012This study proposes a new condition diagnosis method for rotating machinery developed using least squares mapping (LSM) and a fuzzy neural network...
- Bridging the traditional Chinese medicine pattern classification and biomedical disease diagnosis with systems biologyAi Ping Lu
School of Chinese Medicine, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
Chin J Integr Med 18:883-90. 2012..In this article, the authors integrated the pattern classification and disease diagnosis with many approaches from systems biology...
- Comparison of presenting complaint vs discharge diagnosis for identifying " nonemergency" emergency department visitsMaria C Raven
Departments of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94707, USA
JAMA 309:1145-53. 2013..One consideration has been to deny payment if the patient's diagnosis upon ED discharge appears to reflect a "nonemergency" condition...
- From cellular characteristics to disease diagnosis: uncovering phenotypes with supercellsJulián Candia
Department of Physics, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, United States of America School of Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America IFLYSIB and CONICET, University of La Plata, La Plata
PLoS Comput Biol 9:e1003215. 2013..We apply our approach to two kinds of single-cell datasets, addressing the diagnosis of a premature aging disorder using images of cell nuclei, as well as the phenotypes of two non-infectious ..
- Detection of nonpolar molecules by means of carrier scattering in random networks of carbon nanotubes: toward diagnosis of diseases via breath samplesGang Peng
The Department of Chemical Engineering and Russell Barrie Nanotechnology Institute, TechnionIsrael Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Nano Lett 9:1362-8. 2009..As examples for the technological impact of our findings, we describe ways to detect lung cancer and kidney disease using specially designed RN-CNT sensor arrays...
- Towards evidence-based diagnosis in developing countries: the use of likelihood ratios for robust quick diagnosisAkbar Soltani
Evidence Based Medicine Working Team, Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ann Saudi Med 26:211-5. 2006..EBM could be a significant aid to physicians in the developing world...
- Identifying diagnostic accuracy studies in EMBASELucas M Bachmann
Horten Centre, Bolleystrasse 40, Postfach Nord, University of Zurich, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
J Med Libr Assoc 91:341-6. 2003..The objective was to develop and test search strategies to identify diagnostic articles recorded on EMBASE...
- Two-transcript gene expression classifiers in the diagnosis and prognosis of human diseasesLucas B Edelman
Institute for Genomic Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
BMC Genomics 10:583. 2009..We examined transcriptional profiles from both solid tissues and blood-borne leukocytes...
- Diagnosis: toxic!--trying to apply approaches of clinical diagnostics and prevalence in toxicology considerationsSebastian Hoffmann
European Commission, JRC Joint Research Centre, Institute for Health and Consumer Protection, ECVAM European Centre for the Validation of Alternative Methods, 21020 Ispra VA, Italy
Toxicol Sci 85:422-8. 2005..Considering the work of a toxicologist as setting a diagnosis for compounds, assessment tools for diagnostic tests were transferred to toxicological tests...
- Evaluation of crude hydatid cyst fluid antigens for the serological diagnosis of hydatidosis in cattleLemu Golassa
Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences and Pathology, College of Public Health and Medical Sciences, Jimma University, PO Box 378, Jimma, Ethiopia
J Helminthol 85:100-8. 2011..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the antigenic ability of hydatid cyst fluid antigen for the diagnosis of hydatidosis in cattle using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) and indirect haemagglutination test (..
- The role of biomedical knowledge in diagnosis of difficult clinical casesNicole N Woods
Department of Surgery, The Wilson Centre, University of Toronto, 200 Elizabeth Street, Eaton South 1 565, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5G 2C4
Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract 12:417-26. 2007Although biomedical knowledge is believed to be of little value in diagnosis of routine clinical cases, studies of clinical reasoning have found that physicians revert to use of basic biomedical knowledge when faced with challenging ..
- Trends in the postmortem diagnosis of opportunistic invasive fungal infections in patients with AIDS: a retrospective study of 1,630 autopsies performed between 1984 and 2002Spinello Antinori
Luigi Sacco Department of Clinical Sciences, Section of Infectious Diseases and Immunopathology, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Via GB Grassi 74, Milan 20157, Italy
Am J Clin Pathol 132:221-7. 2009..Our results confirm the valuable role of autopsy data, even with highly effective therapies and advanced technologies...
- Clinical diagnosis and the order of informationG R Bergus
Department of Family Medicine, The University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
Med Decis Making 18:412-7. 1998..Information order can influence judgment. However, it remains unclear whether the order of clinical data affects physicians' interpretations of these data when they are engaged in familiar diagnostic tasks...
- A new approach to dengue fatal cases diagnosis: NS1 antigen capture in tissuesMonique da Rocha Queiroz Lima
Flavivirus Laboratory, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1147. 2011....
- The misuse of race in medical diagnosisRichard S Garcia
Chron High Educ 49:B15. 2003
- A diagnosis of conflict: theoretical barriers to integration in mental health services & their philosophical undercurrentsNathan M Gerard
Columbia University, Teachers College, Program in Social Organizational Psychology, 525 W 120th Street, New York, New York 10027, USA
Philos Ethics Humanit Med 5:4. 2010..By exposing this underlying framework--and the motivations inherent therein--the topic of integration appears in wholly different light, allowing a renewed philosophical basis for integration to emerge...
- Approach to diagnosis by primary care clinicians and specialists: is there a difference?W W Rosser
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario
J Fam Pract 42:139-44. 1996..Greater patients satisfaction is also found in systems where family physicians are first-contact providers...
- Effect of telemedicine on patients' diagnosis and treatmentAnn B Bynum
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72204 1611, USA
J Telemed Telecare 12:39-43. 2006..Changes in the patient's diagnosis and treatment plan as a result of the telemedicine session were assessed...
- Emerging medical technologies and emerging conceptions of healthWilliam E Stempsey
Department of Philosophy, College of the Holy Cross, One College Street, Worcester, Massachusetts 01610, USA
Theor Med Bioeth 27:227-43. 2006..Technologies may aim at the prevention and treatment of disease, but they also bring about modifications of what we consider normal for the human being. Thus, new norms of health arise from technological innovation...
- Probabilistic and fuzzy logic in the clinical diagnosisL Pagliaro
Intern Emerg Med 2:75; discussion 100-6. 2007
- Diagnosis in traditional Maori healing: a contemporary urban clinicR Jones
University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Pac Health Dialog 7:17-24. 2000..This project aimed to describe one aspect of a group of traditional Maori healers' practice, namely diagnosis, and to compare this with Western medical practice...
- Metabonomics and its role in drug development and disease diagnosisJohn C Lindon
Biological Chemistry, Biomedical Sciences Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 4:189-99. 2004..in relation to other -omics, and how these methods can be applied to drug safety assessment, characterization of genetically modified animal models of disease, diagnosis of human disease and drug therapy monitoring is demonstrated.
- Real-time PCR analysis of dog cerebrospinal fluid and saliva samples for ante-mortem diagnosis of rabiesWachiraporn Saengseesom
Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute WHO Collaborating Center for Research on Rabies, Thai Red Cross Society, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 38:53-7. 2007..The time from sample collection to result was less than 5 hours. Because virus may be absent or present at very low level in both clinical fluids, samples taken for ante-mortem diagnosis cannot definitively rule out rabies.
- Modifying DRG-PPS to include only diagnoses present on admission: financial implications and challengesChunliu Zhan
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Maryland 20850, USA
Med Care 45:288-91. 2007..This study used data from 2 states currently coding POA to assess the financial impact if Medicare pays based on POA conditions only and to examine the challenges in implementing POA coding...
- Probabilistic and fuzzy logic in clinical diagnosisG Licata
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Palermo, Via Catania 166, I 90141, Palermo, Italy
Intern Emerg Med 2:100-6. 2007In this study I have compared classic and fuzzy logic and their usefulness in clinical diagnosis. The theory of probability is often considered a device to protect the classical two-valued logic from the evidence of its inadequacy to ..
- Differences in diagnosis and treatment using telemedicine versus in-person evaluation of acute illnessKenneth M McConnochie
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Ambul Pediatr 6:187-95; discussion 196-7. 2006We designed a telemedicine model for diagnosis of common, acute illness to compare telemedicine and in-person evaluations on reproducibility of diagnosis and treatment.
- Contactless passive diagnosis for brain intracranial applications: A study using dielectric matching materialsIoannis A Gouzouasis
National Technical University of Athens, Greece
Bioelectromagnetics 31:335-49. 2010....
- Prediction of outcome after diagnosis of metachronous contralateral breast cancerSara Alkner
Department of Oncology, Clinical Sciences, Lund, Lund University, Sweden
BMC Cancer 11:114. 2011..Using a unique patient cohort, we have investigated whether time interval to second breast cancer (BC2) and mode of detection are associated to prognosis...
- Diagnosis, access and outcomes: Update of a systematic review of telemedicine servicesWilliam R Hersh
Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Telemed Telecare 12:S3-31. 2006..We reviewed the literature for telemedicine services that substitute for face-to-face medical diagnosis and treatment...
- Gene expression of colorectal cancer: preoperative genetic diagnosis using endoscopic biopsiesTakamichi Komori
Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Int J Oncol 32:367-75. 2008..node metastasis preoperatively, a more competent diagnostic system is required, in addition to conventional diagnosis based on morphology and pathology...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Title: Screening Study for the Evaluation and Diagnosis of Potential Research Participants Number: 08-EI-0102 Summary: This study will allow National Eye Institute (NEI)..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Title: Screening Study for the Evaluation and Diagnosis of Potential Research Participants Number: 08-EI-0102 Summary: This study will allow National Eye Institute (NEI)..
- Understanding/ Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Pediatric Physical IllnessEva Szigethy; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Personalized Clinical Diagnostics and Beyond: Integrated Ring Resonator ArraysRyan Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2009..each of these pathways is known to respond effectively to different therapeutic agents, thus personalized diagnosis equates to personalized treatment...
- Prevention of Complications in ThalassemiaElliott P Vichinsky; Fiscal Year: 2011..A major focus of the NCTC is to undertake outcome-based research that will result in improved diagnosis and treatment of patients with thalassemia and assistance for their families...
- Yasmin Wadia; Fiscal Year: 2014..Provides intraoperative tissue diagnosis of tumor free margins. Shorting operating time: Quick and accurate...
- Noreen F Rossi; Fiscal Year: 2016..Prompt diagnosis and effective treatment are suboptimal with only 60% of Veterans meeting the 7th Joint National Committee on ..
- Brain mast cells and Chronic Fatigue SyndromeTheoharis C Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2013..Neuroimmune interactions in CFS are still unknown creating a vacuum in diagnosis and treatment. Mast cells and their mediators have been implicated in all diseases that are comorbid with CFS...
- Infant Screening and Diagnosis of Duchenne Muscular Dys*Paul Fernhoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..contacted and offered a serum CK test with a 24-hour turnaround, in order minimize the waiting period before a diagnosis is made...
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialBARBARA O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..include: - Large sample size allows statistical power - Specimens are collected prospectively, before cancer diagnosis - Serial specimens are collected at each of the 6 annual screenings - Detailed background and clinical data are ..
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialMona Fouad; Fiscal Year: 2013..Large sample size allows statistical power [unreadable] Specimens are collected prospectively, before cancer diagnosis [unreadable] Serial specimens are collected at each of the 6 annual screenings [unreadable] Detailed background ..
- Optimized Growth Media to Detect Intracellular Bacteria Implicated in Chronic DisPATRICIA MASCARELLI; Fiscal Year: 2011..for detecting bacterial infections in patient samples have proven to be largely ineffective for the accurate diagnosis of Bartonellosis...
- Retinoid and Carotenoid Depletion in Patients at High-Risk for Liver CancerPeter H Gann; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Median survival from a hepatocellular cancer (HCC) diagnosis is only 8 months;therefore, effective prevention strategies are a high priority...
- Charles W Wilkinson; Fiscal Year: 2016..However, definitive diagnosis of growth hormone deficiency (GHD) and secondary adrenal insufficiency (sAI) typically requires the use of ..
- Integrated Microfluidic Platform for Point-of-Care SerodiagnosticsXiaowu Liang; Fiscal Year: 2013..The diagnosis platform is based on the well-established clinical diagnostic tool, the enzyme immunoassay (eg ELISA)...
- Patient-Derived Stem Cells for Phosphoproteomic Profiling NeuropsychopathologyDieter A Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2011..A major impediment to proper diagnosis has been such confounders as the prevalence of substance &alcohol abuse/dependence among those meeting ..
- Hybrid Optical/Doppler Imaging of Ischemia in NEC - a multicenter trialDavid A Benaron; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Functional molecular imaging holds the key to improved diagnosis, treatment selection, and treatment monitoring...
- Role of IKK in NSCLC: Modulation of SMRT and NF-kappaBMarty W Mayo; Fiscal Year: 2012..in cancer progenitor cells will potentially lead to the discovery of novel therapeutic targets for the diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer...
- Novel PET imaging agents for early diagnosis of plaque deposition in Alzheimer'sPadmakar Kulkarni; Fiscal Year: 2010..burden in subjects with Alzheimer's disease (AD) and also would allow for specific and accurate early diagnosis and disease progression and disease modifying treatments...
- FREDERIC TREMAINE BILLINGS; Fiscal Year: 2016..and arterial lactate:pyruvate ratios), and clinical AKI (defined using AKIN staging consensus criteria for AKI diagnosis) in 150 subjects who complete the Statin AKI Cardiac Surgery Randomized Clinical Trial, a trial testing the ..
- Judith A James; Fiscal Year: 2016..is on expediting the translation of scientific discoveries in autoimmunity to clinical application in the diagnosis and treatment of systemic autoimmune diseases...
- Rinn Song; Fiscal Year: 2016..I have a particular interest in improving TB diagnosis and intensified TB case-finding among children with and without HIV in resource-limited settings...
- Enzymatic Regulation of S-Glutathionylation : Role in Apoptosis and DiseaseJohn J Mieyal; Fiscal Year: 2012..6% reported a diagnosis of PD...
- Novel diagnostic and safety biomarkers of liver injury and hepatotoxicityStanislav I Svetlov; Fiscal Year: 2010..If liver damage is imminent, tissue biopsies are routinely used for diagnosis. This indicates an explicit clinical need for non-invasive biomarkers for early detection of liver injury with ..
- Drug Interactions at the Human Blood-Brain BarrierJashvant D Unadkat; Fiscal Year: 2010..Chemist/biologist collaborations facilitating tool development;05-AG-103* Imaging and Fluid Biomarkers for Early Diagnosis and Progression of Aging-related Diseases and Conditions including Neurodegenerative Diseases...
- Cell signaling as a leukemia biomarkerJAMES WILLIAM JACOBBERGER; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, cytometry is an established clinical tool used for diagnosis of hematopoietic malignancies based on measuring the levels of differentiation antigens...
- Unbiased genome-wide screen to identify genes regulating mucous cell hyperplasiaJeffrey A Whitsett; Fiscal Year: 2010..and mucous hyperproduction will be useful in understanding the pathogenesis of lung disease, and improving the diagnosis and treatment of common respiratory disorders...
- Expanding Vietnamese Community and Academic Infrastructure for Health ResearchBang H Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2010..incidence and mortality caused by obesity;diabetes;sexually transmitted diseases;late stage breast cancer diagnosis;breast, cervical, colorectal, liver, and lung cancer;liver cirrhosis;cardiovascular diseases;tobacco-related ..
- Ken R Smith; Fiscal Year: 2015..S. Censuses, World War I Draft Registration &Registry Data, and 1921-1936 Birth Certificates;and (B) Diagnosis data from Medicare claims for 2003-2008 that will be added to existing CMS data from 1992-2002...
- Molecular Mechanism of Protein Kinase Cbeta-Mediated Cholesterol HomeostasisKamal D Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2010..disease remains the leading cause of death in industrialized nations despite major advances in its diagnosis, treatment, and prevention...
- Brian Wong; Fiscal Year: 2014..treat and even prevent subglottic stenosis has improved with technical advances in neonatal intensive care, but diagnosis remains a source of continued controversy and debate...
- TIMOTHY L SITA; Fiscal Year: 2016..these tumors and our inability to adequately treat them, only 3-5% of patients survive longer than 3 years post-diagnosis. The standard of care for newly diagnosed GBM is surgical resection followed by adjuvant radiotherapy and ..
- Michelle A Williams; Fiscal Year: 2014..of AP (at the public health level) and may also facilitate the development of new therapies and methods for diagnosis. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Abruptio placentae (AP), is of global public health importance in large part because ..
- Robert W Burgess; Fiscal Year: 2016..of modifier loci will improve our understanding of CMT2D mechanisms, suggest therapeutic strategies, and enhance diagnosis/prognosis of CMT2D patients...
- Identification of Proteins Important for Male OsteoporosisHong Wen Deng; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project aims to identify proteins that are important to male osteoporosis. The findings will provide essential scientific basis for effective prevention, diagnosis and treatment of the disease.
- Novel Means to Establish Free Radical Balance in the Neonatal Premature LungPrakash Jagtap; Fiscal Year: 2011..This benchmark qualifies for a diagnosis of bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD), a disease of hypoalveolarization, interstitial fibrosis, and chronic ..
- Mitochondrial and Nuclear Mechanisms of Estrogen Receptor-Mediated CardioprotectiDONNA HOPE KORZICK; Fiscal Year: 2012..and more Americans aged 65 and older are treated and discharged from hospitals with CHF than with any other diagnosis. Interestingly, mortality rates due to CHF are significantly greater in aged women vs aged men...
- PEARLIE K BURNETTE; Fiscal Year: 2016..The broad long-term goal of this proposal is to improve the diagnosis and treatment of patients with LGL leukemia and these other bone marrow failure diseases...
- Mechanism Underlying Nitrite Sensitivity of Mucoid Pseudomonas in COPDDaniel J Hassett; Fiscal Year: 2013..In 2005, COPD was the 4th most common discharge diagnosis at VA hospitals and care was estimated at $3 billion in direct healthcare costs in 1999...
- Epigenetic effects of developmental endocrine disruptor exposure in the ovaryMehmet Uzumcu; Fiscal Year: 2010..A mechanistic understanding of epigenetic environmental disease etiology can lead to better prevention diagnosis, and therapies, thereby improving public health and reducing health care costs...
- Robust Peptide-Based Diagnostics of Botulinum ToxinsJohn E Mueller; Fiscal Year: 2012..and prophylactic measures in the event of an intentional release, it is critical that rapid and early diagnosis of neurotoxin intoxication in humans be possible...
- A fully validated assay to identify activators of ERSR in human glioma cells: ideMaurizio Grimaldi; Fiscal Year: 2012..It is clear that more research is needed to increase treatment options in this type of cancer whose diagnosis, even today, represent the equivalent of a death sentence...
- C. Difficile Outcomes and Effectiveness of Treatment Strategies in SCICharlesnika T Evans; Fiscal Year: 2013..risk factor for CDI in SCI/D veterans, 3) in-hospital mortality will be higher for SCI/D veterans with CDI diagnosis compared to those without such a diagnosis, 4) length of stay (LOS) will be higher for SCI/D veterans with CDI ..
- Imaging Nonlinear Absorption of Biomarkers for Improved Detection of MelanomaWarren S Warren; Fiscal Year: 2010..Conventional melanoma detection and diagnosis is a two-tier process that begins with visual or dermoscopic inspection of suspicious moles and ends with the ..
- WIDEBAND CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS AND MONITORING OF MIDDLE-EAR AND COCHLEAR FUNCTIONDouglas H Keefe; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION: Wideband Clinical Diagnosis and Monitoring of Middle-Ear and Cochlear Function A wideband (WB) acoustic test battery has the potential to improve hearing screening and diagnosis of middle-ear and cochlear dysfunction across ..
- SUSAN F KEAY; Fiscal Year: 2016..population as it was reported in 2006 to be the fourth most common urologic disease as well as the primary diagnosis for 1.4% of all VA healthcare users (rate increased 13...
- Lois B Travis; Fiscal Year: 2016..the optimal group in which to study the genetic underpinnings of platinum toxicity because of their young age at diagnosis, homogeneity of cisplatin-based therapy, high cure rate, and lifelong risk of treatment sequelae...
- Alfonso Bellacosa; Fiscal Year: 2014..occur in cloned mammals as well as in cancer and thus have implications for both stem cell biology and cancer diagnosis/prognosis/treatment...
- The role of novel, uncultivable bacteria in incident PIDCATHERINE L contact HAGGERTY; Fiscal Year: 2011..identified by PCR in vaginal specimens and endometrial specimens subsequently obtained at the time of PID diagnosis among cases;and to characterize and compare the endometrial microbiota of 44 patients with histologically ..
- Akiko Hata; Fiscal Year: 2014..hypertension (IPAH) is a rare but terminal disease with a median survival rate of 2-3 years from the time of diagnosis if left untreated...
- New Rapid Diagnostic Tests for AmebiasisJOEL F HERBEIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Accurate diagnosis of infection by fecal microscopy, antigen testing, PCR, or IFA leads to successful treatment and full recovery...
- Salivary-based Bone-loss Marker Detection Platform for Point-of-Care ScreeningMANAL BESHAY; Fiscal Year: 2012..Reliable measurements of bone turnover markers have been studied to evaluate their role in the diagnosis and prediction of bone deterioration;these studies assessed their correlation to BMD measurements, presented in ..
- Insights from Comparative Genomics for the Treatment of Pneumococcal InfectionsNatalia Luisa Hiller; Fiscal Year: 2011..The candidate is devoted to a career in bacterial pathogenesis designed to improve the diagnosis and treatment of bacterially-induced OM...
- PROSPECTIVE STUDIES OF DIET AND CANCER IN MEN AND WOMENWalter C Willett; Fiscal Year: 2010..Project 2 examines vitamin D blood levels, intakes, and metabolizing genes in relation to the diagnosis of colorectal cancer and adenomas, including associations with histological and molecular characteristics of ..
- Andrew H Miller; Fiscal Year: 2014..inflammation will foster development of new therapies and biomarkers relevant to an individualized approach to diagnosis, treatment and prevention of major depression...
- BMP signaling in vertebrate developmentKen W Y Cho; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., juvenile polyposis syndrome, primary pulmonary hypertension, Cowden's syndrome) and developmental abnormalities. Identification of candidate genes and signaling components will aid in developing new diagnosis and treatments.
- J Evan Sadler; Fiscal Year: 2016..Completion of this program will prepare talented trainees for careers in basic and translational hematology research, to make discoveries that will transform the diagnosis and treatment of hematologic diseases.
- Chemoprevention of urinary bladder carcinogenesis by flavokawain AXiaolin Zi; Fiscal Year: 2012..The cost per bladder cancer patient from diagnosis to death is the highest among all cancers ($96,000 to $187, 000 per patient in the US)...
- Ibis T-6,000 Biosensor SystemCYNTHIA SEARS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Most recently, this system was used to diagnosis the first swine H1N1 2009 cases in the United States...
- RADIATION-INDUCED THYROID CANCERHeinz Ulrich G Weier; Fiscal Year: 2011..tumor karyotyping procedures and might thus provide a wealth of information for a better risk assessment, diagnosis or individualized disease management...
- Molecular Pathogenesis of MDS and CMMLJaroslaw P Maciejewski; Fiscal Year: 2013..Detection of such defects could facilitate identification of novel therapeutic targets, aid diagnosis and improve current prognostic schemes by explaining phenotypic heterogeneity within established MDS subtypes...
- Development of a Pediatric Mylelodysplastic Syndrome Patient RegistryDAVID A contact WILLIAMS; Fiscal Year: 2010..A patient registry will provide a platform to improve accuracy of diagnosis for children with MDS by standardized review of morphology and cytogenetics and molecular analysis (for example ..
- Vijay Sharma; Fiscal Year: 2015..Myocardial perfusion imaging (MPI), a versatile tool in clinical diagnosis, plays an important role in the noninvasive assessment of coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Advanced Center for Latino and MH Systems ResearchMargarita Alegria; Fiscal Year: 2009..services disparity research program with a focus on four program areas: (a) Improving Clinical Assessment of Diagnosis for Latinos;(b) Identifying Sources Linked to Differential Assertive Community Treatment (ACT) Outcomes for ..
- GARY BEAUPRE; Fiscal Year: 2015..measurements were originally proposed for use in large epidemiology studies and were not intended to be used for diagnosis or treatment of individual patients...
- Combined raman spectroscopy-optical tomagraphy for complete diagnosis of skin canAnita Mahadevan Jansen; Fiscal Year: 2009The incidence of skin cancer has been on the rise in recent years and as in most cancers, early diagnosis and thorough treatment (i.e., complete resection) are the keys to gain a favorable prognosis...
- Selection and Characterization of PSMA Ligands from Phage-Displayed LibrariesGary Fujii; Fiscal Year: 2006..Although there have been marked improvements in the early detection, diagnosis and treatment of cancer in general, there is still a great need for the development of new technologies that ..
- Venous thromboembolism among California cancer patientsHelen Chew; Fiscal Year: 2003..Patient Discharge Data Set; 2) to determine and compare the incidence and time course of incident VTE after diagnosis of the most frequent cancers in California; 3) to determine demographic, treatment- and disease-related risk ..
- Genotype Analysis for Diagnosis of Urea Cycle DisordersSteven Dobrowolski; Fiscal Year: 2005Urea Cycle Disorders (UCDs) are metabolic diseases disrupting ureagenesis. Unequivocal and rapid diagnosis of UCDs is difficult because hyperammonemia, the primary biochemical phenotype, is not specific to UCDs being observed in broad ..
- Virus Electrodes for Fungal Pathogen DetectionGary Fujii; Fiscal Year: 2009..Although there have been marked improvements in the early detection, diagnosis and treatment of Aspergillus, there is still a great need for the development of new technologies that will ..
- NON-INVASIVE HIGH-RESOLUTION DIAGNOSIS OF PERIODONTAL ATTACHMENT LEVELS USING REASAM M MUKDADI; Fiscal Year: 2010..pressing needs for the development of noninvasive and high-resolution biomedical imaging to achieve early diagnosis of periodontal disease...
- Development and Validation of a Panel of Breast Cancer for the Early Diagnosis ofFELIX RODOLFO FERNANDEZ MADRID; Fiscal Year: 2010Development and validation of a panel of breast cancer autoantigens for the early diagnosis of breast cancer Abstract Detection of the early stages of breast cancer is one of the pillars of successful therapy and the identification of ..
- Clinical Trial of DRibble Vaccine in NSCLCWalter Urba; Fiscal Year: 2009More than 90% of advanced lung cancer patients will die within a year or two of diagnosis. Lung cancer will kill 160,000 Americans this year...
- Proteomic Identification of Actionable Biomarkers in Rheumatoid ArthritisWilliam H Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2010..A test for the early diagnosis of RA is therefore warranted, as early diagnosis would enable the identification of patients with asymptomatic ..
- PROSPECTIVE INVESTIGATION OF PULMONARY EMBOLISM DX IICHARLES HALES; Fiscal Year: 2003..value, and negative predictive value of contrast enhanced spiral computed tomography (spiral CT) for the diagnosis of acute pulmonary embolism (PE). Pulmonary embolism is common, yet frequently undiagnosed and fatal...
- High Performance Single Crystal Ultrasound Device for Medical ImagingJian Tian; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Ultrasonic imaging offers an important tool for clinical diagnosis. Compared to other imaging modalities, it is more cost-effective, non-invasive, capable of real-time operation, and portable while ..
- A Dual Resolution Cone Beam CT System for 3-D Breast ImagingChris C Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2010..Despite the development of new imaging modalities, x-ray mammography remains the main tool for screening, diagnosis and management of breast cancers...
- A Dual Resolution Cone Beam CT System for 3-D Breast ImagingChris Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2007..Despite the development of new imaging modalities, x-ray mammography remains the main tool for screening, diagnosis and management of breast cancers...
- Peripheral Biomarkers in Familial Alzheimer's DiseasePaul Coleman; Fiscal Year: 2009..hypothesis to be tested by the research proposed here is, then;that those persons with an FAD mutation but diagnosis of no AD represent "preclinical" AD and that they will present a gene expression profile that will be predictive ..
- DNA methylation markers for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia IIIQinghua Feng; Fiscal Year: 2009..underlying CIN-3/CIS lesions among women with atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance (ASC-US) diagnosis, and to gain insight in the interaction between DNA methylation and specific histone modifications pre-marked by ..
- CTRIP: Molecular phenotypes of rapidly progressive idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisGalen B Toews; Fiscal Year: 2010..IPF is associated with the worst prognosis of all IIPs with a median survival of 30-40 months from the time of diagnosis. Although numerous therapeutic clinical trials have been undertaken to slow the relentless progression of ..
- Mulago Inpatient Noninvasive Diagnosis of Pneumocystis Pneumonia (MIND PCP) StudyJohn Davis; Fiscal Year: 2007..pneumonia in these patients, so bronchoscopy with bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) is often indicated for definitive diagnosis, especially when empiric treatments fail...
- ATYPICAL ODONTALGIA AND ENDODONTIC TREATMENT, SENSORY TESTING AND GENETIC STUDYEli Eliav; Fiscal Year: 2010..A diagnosis of AO is made when persistent oral pain occurs in the absence of dental pathologies or when pain persists after ..
- Noninvasive Diagnosis of Early Bladder Cancers with Optical Coherence TomographyYingtian Pan; Fiscal Year: 2007..substantially enhance the image resolution and sensitivity/specificity of current endoscopic procedures in the diagnosis and staging of early bladder cancers. Advanced optical imaging techniques (e.g...
- Risk of Cancer with Incidental Findings Identified on Ultrasound ImagingRebecca Smith Bindman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The positive impact of these changes on the earlier and more precise diagnosis of a broad range of medical diseases cannot be overstated...
- Molecular Classification of Suspicious Thyroid TumorsMartha Zeiger; Fiscal Year: 2009A. SPECIFIC AIMS Diagnostic Dilemma in the Differential Diagnosis of a Suspicious Thyroid Nodule...