Genomes and Genes
Summary: Removal of dental plaque and dental calculus from the surface of a tooth, from the surface of a tooth apical to the gingival margin accumulated in periodontal pockets, or from the surface coronal to the gingival margin.
Publications223 found, 100 shown here
- The clinical effects of saline and aloe vera rinses on periodontal surgical sitesLisa Rieger
Department of Dental Hygiene, University of Oklahoma, College of Dentistry, USA
J Okla Dent Assoc 92:40-3. 2002
- Quadrant root planing versus same-day full-mouth root planing. I. Clinical findingsD A Apatzidou
Periodontal and Oral Immunology Research Group, Glasgow Dental School, Glasgow, UK
J Clin Periodontol 31:132-40. 2004....
- Periodontal therapy reduces plasma levels of interleukin-6, C-reactive protein, and fibrinogen in patients with severe periodontitis and refractory arterial hypertensionFábio Vidal
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Odontology, Rio de Janeiro State University, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
J Periodontol 80:786-91. 2009....
- Effect of gallium arsenide diode laser on human periodontal disease: a microbiological and clinical studySelcuk Yilmaz
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
Lasers Surg Med 30:60-6. 2002....
- One-year outcomes of repeated adjunctive photodynamic therapy during periodontal maintenance: a proof-of-principle randomized-controlled clinical trialMartina Lulic
Prince Philip Dental Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Clin Periodontol 36:661-6. 2009..Single photodynamic therapy (PDT) has been effective in initial periodontal therapy, but only improved bleeding on probing (BoP) in maintenance patients after a single use. Repeated PDT has not been addressed...
- Clinical effectiveness of photodynamic therapy in the treatment of periodontitisRaoul Polansky
Department of Periodontology and Restorative Dentistry, Dental School, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
J Clin Periodontol 36:575-80. 2009..A randomized-controlled clinical pilot trial was designed to evaluate photodynamic therapy (PDT) for its bactericidal potential and clinical effect in the treatment of periodontitis...
- Periodontitis-associated up-regulation of systemic inflammatory mediator level may increase the risk of coronary heart diseaseT Nakajima
Laboratory of Periodontology and Immunology, Department of Oral Health and Welfare, Niigata University Faculty of Dentistry, Niigata, Japan
J Periodontal Res 45:116-22. 2010....
- Ultrasonic dental scaler: associated hazardsS C Trenter
The School of Dentistry, The University of Birmingham, St Chad s Queensway, Birmingham B4 6NN, UK
J Clin Periodontol 30:95-101. 2003....
- Relationship between periodontitis and rheumatoid arthritis and the effect of non-surgical periodontal treatmentMárcia de Noronha Pinho
Dental School of Campinas, Pontifical Catholic University, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Braz Dent J 20:355-64. 2009..No other parameters for RA were significantly affected. The relationship between RA and PD disease activities is not clear, but the importance of periodontal treatment in the control of inflammation to avoid tooth extraction is evident...
- Control of periodontal infection reduces the severity of active rheumatoid arthritisMhd Khaldoun Al-Katma
Department of Periodontics, Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Clin Rheumatol 13:134-7. 2007..To determine if eliminating periodontal infection and gingival inflammation affects the severity of active rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in patients with chronic inflammatory periodontal disease...
- Local delivery of hyaluronan as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitisAnnsofi Johannsen
Dental Hygiene Program and Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden
J Periodontol 80:1493-7. 2009..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the adjunctive effect of the local application of a hyaluronan gel to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitis...
- Short-term clinical effects of adjunctive antimicrobial photodynamic therapy in periodontal treatment: a randomized clinical trialAndreas Braun
Department of Periodontology, Operative and Preventive Dentistry, University Dental Clinic Bonn, Welschnonnenstrasse 17, D 53111 Bonn, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 35:877-84. 2008..The aim of this study was to assess the effect of adjunctive antimicrobial photodynamic therapy (aPDT) in chronic periodontitis...
- Periodontal debridement as a therapeutic approach for severe chronic periodontitis: a clinical, microbiological and immunological studyErica Del Peloso Ribeiro
Department of Prosthodontics and Periodontics, Division of Periodontics, Piracicaba Dental School, University of Campinas UNICAMP, Brazil
J Clin Periodontol 35:789-98. 2008..To clinically, microbiologically and immunologically characterize periodontal debridement as a therapeutic approach for severe chronic periodontitis...
- Comparison of the effect of video glasses and nitrous oxide analgesia on the perceived intensity of pain and unpleasantness evoked by dental scalingBo Bentsen
Department of Oral Radiology, Royal Dental College, University of Aarhus Denmark, Vennelyst Boulevard 9, DK 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Eur J Pain 7:49-53. 2003..induced by video glasses had an effect on the perceived intensity of pain and unpleasantness during dental scaling compared with the effect of nitrous oxide (N(2)O) analgesia...
- Subantimicrobial-dose doxycycline and cytokine-chemokine levels in gingival crevicular fluidGulnur Emingil
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Periodontol 82:452-61. 2011....
- Full-mouth ultrasonic debridement versus quadrant scaling and root planing as an initial approach in the treatment of chronic periodontitisJan L Wennström
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Odontology, The Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 32:851-9. 2005....
- Effect of subantimicrobial dose doxycycline as an effective adjunct to scaling and root planingJi Young Lee
Department of Periodontology, College of Dentistry, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
J Periodontol 75:1500-8. 2004..This study evaluated the efficacy and safety of a subantimicrobial dose of doxycycline (SDD) in conjunction with scaling and root planing (SRP)...
- Periodontal debridement with povidone-iodine in periodontal treatment: short-term clinical and biochemical observationsGuilherme M Zanatta
Department of Prosthodontics and Periodontics, Division of Periodontics, School of Dentistry at Piracicaba, University of Campinas, Piracicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Periodontol 77:498-505. 2006..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the clinical effects of one-stage periodontal debridement with an ultrasonic instrument, associated with 0.5% povidone (pvp)-iodine irrigation in patients with chronic periodontitis...
- Current concepts and advances in manual and power-driven instrumentationShigeru Oda
Department of Hard Tissue Engineering, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School, Japan
Periodontol 2000 36:45-58. 2004
- The effect of tool handle shape on hand muscle load and pinch force in a simulated dental scaling taskHui Dong
School of Public Health, University of California, 1301 South 46th Street, Building 163, Richmond, Berkeley, CA 94804, USA
Appl Ergon 38:525-31. 2007..risk factor for developing these disorders is forceful pinching which occurs during periodontal work such as dental scaling. Ergonomically designed dental scaling instruments may help reduce the prevalence of carpal tunnel syndrome ..
- Periodontal infection as a possible severity factor for rheumatoid arthritisJuliana Ribeiro
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
J Clin Periodontol 32:412-6. 2005..Clinical effects of periodontal treatment on biochemical and clinical markers of disease severity in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients with periodontal disease were evaluated...
- Combined photodynamic and low-level laser therapies as an adjunct to nonsurgical treatment of chronic periodontitisJ Lui
Faculty of Dentistry, Periodontology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Periodontal Res 46:89-96. 2011..The purpose of this short-term clinical trial was to evaluate the effects of a combination of photodynamic therapy with low-level laser therapy as an adjunct to nonsurgical treatment of chronic periodontitis...
- Treatment of periodontitis and endothelial functionMaurizio S Tonetti
Department of Oral Health and Diagnostic Sciences, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, USA
N Engl J Med 356:911-20. 2007..Systemic inflammation may impair vascular function, and epidemiologic data suggest a possible link between periodontitis and cardiovascular disease...
- Incidence of bacteremia after chewing, tooth brushing and scaling in individuals with periodontal inflammationLone Forner
Department of Periodontology, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Periodontol 33:401-7. 2006..PRACTICAL IMPLICATIONS: The prevention and treatment of periodontal diseases appear to be crucial for the prevention of bacteremia associated with oral procedures...
- Periodontal infections cause changes in traditional and novel cardiovascular risk factors: results from a randomized controlled clinical trialFrancesco D'Aiuto
Department of Periodontology, Eastman Clinical Investigation Centre, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Am Heart J 151:977-84. 2006..However, the issue remains poorly investigated. We aimed to estimate the effect of periodontal therapy on traditional and novel cardiovascular risk factors in systemically healthy individuals who have periodontitis...
- Serum levels of cytokines in subjects with generalized chronic and aggressive periodontitis before and after non-surgical periodontal therapy: a pilot studyPoliana Mendes Duarte
Dental Research Division, Department of Periodontics, Guarulhos University, Guarulhos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Periodontol 81:1056-63. 2010....
- Improvement of periodontal status by green tea catechin using a local delivery system: a clinical pilot studyMasatomo Hirasawa
Department of Microbiology, Nihon University School of Dentistry at Matsudo, Matsudo, Chiba Japan
J Periodontal Res 37:433-8. 2002..Green tea catechin showed a bactericidal effect against BPR and the combined use of mechanical treatment and the application of green tea catechin using a slow release local delivery system was effective in improving periodontal status...
- Safety and efficiency of novel sonic scaler tips in vitroGregor J Petersilka
Department of Periodontology, University of Munster, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 30:551-5. 2003..The aim of the study was to evaluate a novel sonic scaler tip for subgingival root surface instrumentation combining high efficiency in calculus removal with minimized risk of root damage through subgingival debridement...
- Periodontal treatment with an Er:YAG laser or scaling and root planing. A 2-year follow-up split-mouth studyFrank Schwarz
Department of Oral Surgery, Heinrich Helne University, Westdeutsche Kieferklinik, Dusseldorf, Germany
J Periodontol 74:590-6. 2003..Therefore, the aim of the present study was to present the 2-year results following non-surgical periodontal treatment with an Er:YAG laser or scaling and root planing...
- A systematic review of efficacy of machine-driven and manual subgingival debridement in the treatment of chronic periodontitisJ Tunkel
Clinic of Periodontology, University of Muenster, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 29:72-81; discussion 90-1. 2002..The purpose of this systematic review was to determine the efficacy of machine-driven compared with manual subgingival debridement in the treatment of periodontitis...
- Modified-release subantimicrobial dose doxycycline enhances scaling and root planing in subjects with periodontal diseasePhilip M Preshaw
Department of Periodontology, School of Dental Sciences, Newcastle University, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, U K
J Periodontol 79:440-52. 2008..The aim of this study was to investigate the efficacy of SDD-40 when used as an adjunct to SRP for the treatment of periodontitis...
- The effect of subgingival controlled-release delivery of chlorhexidine chip on clinical parameters and matrix metalloproteinase-8 levels in gingival crevicular fluidNezih Azmak
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Periodontol 73:608-15. 2002....
- A 2-step non-surgical procedure and systemic antibiotics in the treatment of rapidly progressive periodontitisB Sigusch
Department of Periodontology, Conservative Dentistry, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Germany
J Periodontol 72:275-83. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The present results show that metronidazole and clindamycin are effective antibiotics when used adjunctively in a 2-step nonsurgical procedure of scaling and root planing in RPP patients...
- Non-surgical periodontal therapy with adjunctive topical doxycycline: a double-blind randomized controlled multicenter studyPeter Eickholz
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Section of Periodontology, University Dental Clinic, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 29:108-17. 2002..Evaluation of the clinical effect of topical application of doxycycline adjunctive to non-surgical periodontal therapy...
- Lasers in nonsurgical periodontal therapyAkira Aoki
Department of Hard Tissue Engineering, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School, JapanDepartment of Hard Tissue Engineering, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School, Japan
Periodontol 2000 36:59-97. 2004
- Periodontal therapy reduces the severity of active rheumatoid arthritis in patients treated with or without tumor necrosis factor inhibitorsP Ortiz
Department of Periodontics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 4905, USA
J Periodontol 80:535-40. 2009..The effect of anti-TNF-alpha therapy on periodontitis also was assessed...
- Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy in the non-surgical treatment of aggressive periodontitis: cytokine profile in gingival crevicular fluid, preliminary resultsRafael Ramos de Oliveira
Department of Bucco Maxillofacial Surgery and Traumatology and Periodontology, School of Dentistry of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
J Periodontol 80:98-105. 2009....
- Clinical and microbiologic effects of subgingivally delivered 0.5% azithromycin in the treatment of chronic periodontitisA R Pradeep
Department of Periodontics, Government Dental College and Research Institute, Fort, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
J Periodontol 79:2125-35. 2008..5% concentration in an indigenously prepared bioabsorbable controlled-release gel as an adjunct to non-surgical mechanical therapy in the treatment of chronic periodontitis...
- Effects of periodontal treatment phase I on birth term and birth weightS Sadatmansouri
Department of Periodontics, Islamic Azad University, Dental Branch, Iran
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 24:23-6. 2006..05). Periodontal therapy, phase I, results in a reduction in PLBW incidence rate. Therefore, the application of such a simple method among periodontally diseased pregnant women is recommended...
- Clinical and microbiological benefits of systemic metronidazole and amoxicillin in the treatment of smokers with chronic periodontitis: a randomized placebo-controlled studyFlavia Matarazzo
Department of Periodontology, Dental Research Division, Guarulhos University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Periodontol 35:885-96. 2008....
- Benefits of periodontal therapy when preterm birth threatensM Radnai
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Szeged, Szeged, Tisza, Hungary
J Dent Res 88:280-4. 2009..015). Periodontal treatment completed before the 35th week appeared to have a beneficial effect on birth weight and time of delivery...
- Meta-analysis of local tetracycline in treating chronic periodontitisMaria Pavia
Medical School, University of Catanzaro Magna Graecia, Catanzaro, Italy
J Periodontol 74:916-32. 2003..Meta-analysis was used to assess the clinical efficacy of local delivery of tetracycline alone or as an adjunct to conventional mechanical therapy in patients with chronic periodontitis...
- Meta-analysis of local metronidazole in the treatment of chronic periodontitisMaria Pavia
Medical School, University of Catanzaro Magna Graecia, Catanzaro, Italy
J Periodontol 75:830-8. 2004..Meta-analysis was used to assess the effectiveness of local delivery of metronidazole alone or as an adjunct to mechanical therapy in patients with chronic periodontitis...
- Adjunctive periodontal treatment with Centella asiatica and Punica granatum extracts. A preliminary studyGrindwit Sastravaha
Out Patient Department, Faculty of Dentistry, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Int Acad Periodontol 5:106-15. 2003..The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of the combined extracts from C. asiatica and P. granatum pericarp on periodontal healing following scaling and root planing in adult periodontitis patients...
- Supportive periodontal therapy using mechanical instrumentation or 2% minocycline gel: a 12 month randomized, controlled, single masked pilot studyE McColl
Department of Periodontology, Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, London, UK
J Clin Periodontol 33:141-50. 2006..To compare the short-term performance of subgingival local delivery of 2% minocycline gel and conventional subgingival debridement in supportive periodontal therapy (SPT) patients...
- Minocycline HCl microspheres reduce red-complex bacteria in periodontal disease therapyJ Max Goodson
Department of Clinical Research, The Forsyth Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Periodontol 78:1568-79. 2007..DNA probe analysis for 40 bacteria was used to evaluate the oral bacteria of 127 subjects with moderate to advanced chronic periodontitis...
- Locally delivered doxycycline during supportive periodontal therapy: a 3-year studyAnna Bogren
Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Periodontol 79:827-35. 2008..This study evaluated the long-term clinical and microbiologic effects of yearly locally delivered controlled-release doxycycline as an adjunct to mechanical debridement...
- Local delivery of chlorhexidine gluconate (PerioChip) in periodontal maintenance patientsP A Heasman
Restorative Dentistry, Dental School, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Clin Periodontol 28:90-5. 2001..5 mg (PerioChip) in patients with residual bleeding pockets (>5 mm) at least 3 months following oral hygiene and root debridement phase therapy...
- Meta-analysis of the effect of scaling and root planing, surgical treatment and antibiotic therapies on periodontal probing depth and attachment lossHsin Chia Hung
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Periodontol 29:975-86. 2002..This paper reports a meta-analysis of studies that have investigated the effect of scaling and root planing on periodontal probing depth and attachment loss...
- Local delivery of liposome-encapsulated superoxide dismutase and catalase suppress periodontal inflammation in beaglesM Petelin
Department of Oral Medicine and Periodontology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Clin Periodontol 27:918-25. 2000..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the influence of oxygen free radical scavengers on periodontal inflammation and healing process...
- Effects of periodontal therapy on rate of preterm delivery: a randomized controlled trialSteven Offenbacher
Department of Dental Ecology and the Data and Statistical Coordinating Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Obstet Gynecol 114:551-9. 2009..To test the effects of maternal periodontal disease treatment on the incidence of preterm birth (delivery before 37 weeks of gestation)...
- Effects of periodontal therapy during pregnancy on periodontal status, biologic parameters, and pregnancy outcomes: a pilot studySteven Offenbacher
Department of Periodontology, Center for Oral and Systemic Diseases, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7455, USA
J Periodontol 77:2011-24. 2006..Few studies have examined the potential effects of periodontal treatment during pregnancy on pregnancy outcomes, periodontal status, and inflammatory biomarkers...
- Periodontopathic microorganisms in peripheric blood after scaling and root planingGloria Inés Lafaurie
Instituto UIBO Unidad de Investigación Básica Oral, Universidad El Bosque, Bogota, Colombia
J Clin Periodontol 34:873-9. 2007..The objective of this study was to evaluate the frequency of periodontopathic and other subgingival anaerobic and facultative bacteria in the bloodstream following scaling and root planing (SRP)...
- Periodontal disease and preterm birth: results of a pilot intervention studyMarjorie K Jeffcoat
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry, Birmingham, AL, USA
J Periodontol 74:1214-8. 2003..The goal of this pilot trial was to determine the feasibility of conducting a trial to determine whether treatment of periodontitis reduces the risk of spontaneous preterm birth (SPTB)...
- Effect of periodontal therapy on pregnancy outcome in women affected by periodontitisFouzia Tarannum
Department of Periodontics, M R Ambedkar Dental College and Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
J Periodontol 78:2095-103. 2007..This study determined the effect of non-surgical periodontal therapy on pregnancy outcome...
- Examining the safety of dental treatment in pregnant womenBryan S Michalowicz
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, 17 116 Moos Tower, 515 Delaware St S E, Minneapolis, Minn 55455, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 139:685-95. 2008..This study compares safety outcomes from a trial in which pregnant women received scaling and root planing and other dental treatments...
- Treatment of periodontal disease and the risk of preterm birthBryan S Michalowicz
Department of Developmental and Surgical Sciences, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
N Engl J Med 355:1885-94. 2006..Maternal periodontal disease has been associated with an increased risk of preterm birth and low birth weight. We studied the effect of nonsurgical periodontal treatment on preterm birth...
- Short-term clinical and microbiologic effects of pocket debridement with an Er:YAG laser during periodontal maintenanceCristiano Tomasi
Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Periodontol 77:111-8. 2006..The aim of this randomized controlled clinical trial was to evaluate clinical and microbiologic effects of pocket debridement using an Er:YAG laser in patients during periodontal maintenance...
- Adjunctive effect of photodynamic therapy to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitisLinhua Ge
Department of Periodontology, Ninth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai Key Laboratory of Stomatology, Shanghai 200011, China
Photomed Laser Surg 29:33-7. 2011..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical effects of photodynamic therapy (PDT) for scaling and root planing (SRP) in the treatment of chronic periodontitis...
- Photodynamic therapy as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal treatment: a randomized, controlled clinical trialNicos Christodoulides
Department of Periodontology, Radboud University Medical Center, Philips van Leydenlaan 25, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Periodontol 79:1638-44. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical and microbiologic effects of the adjunctive use of PDT to non-surgical periodontal treatment...
- Clinical and microbiologic effects of subgingival controlled-release delivery of chlorhexidine chip in the treatment of periodontitis: a multicenter studyMichele Paolantonio
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, University G D Annunzio, Chieti, Italy
J Periodontol 79:271-82. 2008..The aim of this study was to provide further data on the clinical and microbiologic effects of CHX chips when used as an adjunct to SRP...
- Antibiotic resistance profile of the subgingival microbiota following systemic or local tetracycline therapyRosa Maria J Rodrigues
Departamento de Clínica Odontológica Periodontia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janerio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Clin Periodontol 31:420-7. 2004..This study evaluated longitudinally the tetracycline resistance patterns of the subgingival microbiota of periodontitis subjects treated with systemic or local tetracycline therapy+scaling and root planing (SRP)...
- A systematic review of the effect of surgical debridement vs non-surgical debridement for the treatment of chronic periodontitisL J A Heitz-Mayfield
Department of Periodontology and Fixed Prosthodontics, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
J Clin Periodontol 29:92-102; discussion 160-2. 2002..To systematically review the evidence of effectiveness of surgical vs. non-surgical therapy for the treatment of chronic periodontal disease...
- Differential clinical treatment outcome after systemic metronidazole and amoxicillin in patients harboring Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans and/or Porphyromonas gingivalisT F Flemmig
Department of Periodontology, Julius Maximilian University, Wurzburg, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 25:380-7. 1998..gingivalis but not A. actinomycetemcomitans...
- Initial outcome and long-term effect of surgical and non-surgical treatment of advanced periodontal diseaseG Serino
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Odontology, , Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 28:910-6. 2001..CONCLUSION: In subjects with advanced periodontal disease, surgical therapy provides better short and long-term periodontal pocket reduction and may lead to fewer subjects requiring additional adjunctive therapy...
- Treatment of periodontal disease by photodisinfection compared to scaling and root planingRoger Andersen
Ondine Research Laboratories, Inc, Redmond, WA, USA
J Clin Dent 18:34-8. 2007..The aim of the present study was to compare the effectiveness of a photodisinfection process to that of scaling and root planing (SRP) for non-surgical periodontal treatment...
- Azithromycin as an adjunctive treatment of aggressive periodontitis: 12-months randomized clinical trialAlex N Haas
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Clin Periodontol 35:696-704. 2008..To assess the effect of systemic azithromycin as a supplement to scaling and root planing (SRP) in the treatment of aggressive periodontitis (AgP)...
- In vitro, clinical, and microbiological evaluation of a linear oscillating device for scaling and root planingStefan Rupf
Department of Conservative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
J Periodontol 76:1942-9. 2005..A comparison was made between conventional ultrasonic scaling (US) and hand scaling (HS) with and without chlorhexidine...
- Combining host modulation and topical antimicrobial therapy in the management of moderate to severe periodontitis: a randomized multicenter trialM John Novak
Center for Oral Health Research, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0305, USA
J Periodontol 79:33-41. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate a combination therapy involving SRP, HMT, and TAT in the treatment of moderate to severe CP...
- Clinical outcomes of quadrant root planing versus full-mouth root planingP M Jervøe-Storm
Department of Periodontology, Operative and Preventive Dentistry, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 33:209-15. 2006..To determine the clinical effects of full mouth compared with quadrant wise scaling and root planing...
- Periodontal healing after non-surgical therapy with a modified sonic scaler: a controlled clinical trialM Christgau
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 33:749-58. 2006..The aim of this study was to compare the clinical and microbiological healing outcomes following non-surgical periodontal therapy using a modified sonic scaler system versus scaling and root planing (S/RP) with hand instruments...
- Tetracycline gel as an adjunct to surgical root debridementAntonio Wilson Sallum
Division of Prosthodontics and Periodontics, School of Dentistry at Piracicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Dent 21:168-70. 2008..To evaluate the influence of tetracycline gel, brushed on tooth surfaces, on periodontal clinical parameters following root debridement...
- Longitudinal clinical evaluation of adjunct minocycline in the treatment of chronic periodontitisJose Roberto Cortelli
Periodontics Research and Graduate Studies Division, Department of Dentistry, University of Taubate, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Periodontol 77:161-6. 2006....
- Gingival crevicular fluid alkaline phosphatase activity reflects periodontal healing/recurrent inflammation phases in chronic periodontitis patientsGiuseppe Perinetti
Department of Oral Sciences, University G D Annunzio, Chieti, Italy
J Periodontol 79:1200-7. 2008..Thus, the present study aimed to improve our understanding of how the healing of chronic periodontitis following scaling and root planing (SRP) affects GCF ALP activity after 15 and 60 days...
- Microbial complexes in supragingival plaqueA D Haffajee
Department of Periodontology, The Forsyth Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 23:196-205. 2008..To examine microbial communities in supragingival biofilm samples...
- Systemic administration of doxycycline versus metronidazole plus amoxicillin in the treatment of localized aggressive periodontitis: a clinical and microbiologic studyHakan Akincibay
Department of Periodontology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Quintessence Int 39:e33-9. 2008....
- Controlled-delivery chlorhexidine chip versus amoxicillin/metronidazole as adjunctive antimicrobial therapy for generalized aggressive periodontitis: a randomized controlled clinical trialDogan Kaner
Institute for Periodontology and Synoptic Dentistry, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 34:880-91. 2007..Generalized aggressive periodontitis (GAP) is commonly treated with SRP and adjunctive antimicrobial medication. To date, the efficacy of CHX chips in GAP therapy has not been evaluated...
- Periodontal healing after non-surgical therapy with a new ultrasonic device: a randomized controlled clinical trialM Christgau
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Regensburg, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 34:137-47. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the clinical and microbiological healing outcomes following non-surgical periodontal therapy using the new Vector ultrasonic system versus scaling and root planing (S/RP) with Gracey curettes...
- A bivariate multi-level model, which avoids mathematical coupling in the study of change and initial periodontal attachment level after therapyHans Peter Müller
Faculty of Dentistry, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
Clin Oral Investig 11:307-10. 2007..The present communication provides an easy strategy for the avoidance of mathematical coupling in the study between change and initial value by employing a bivariate multi-level model...
- Clinical and laboratory evaluations of non-surgical periodontal treatment in subjects with diabetes mellitusGabriela Alessandra da Cruz
Department of Prosthodontics and Periodontics, Division of Periodontics, Piracicaba Dental School, State University of Campinas, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Periodontol 79:1150-7. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical and laboratory changes 3 months after full-mouth scaling and root planing in subjects with and without diabetes mellitus...
- Gingival crevicular fluid osteopontin levels in periodontal health and diseaseC G Dileep Sharma
Department of Periodontics, KGF College of Dental Sciences and Hospital, KGF, Karnataka, India
J Periodontol 77:1674-80. 2006....
- Short-term clinical and immunologic effects of scaling and root planing with Er:YAG laser in chronic periodontitisBeatriz M V Lopes
Department of Periodontology, Araraquara Dental School, Sao Paulo State University, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
J Periodontol 79:1158-67. 2008..This study compared Er:YAG laser irradiation (100 mJ/pulse, 10 Hz, 12.9 J/cm(2)) with or without conventional scaling and root planing (SRP) to SRP only for the treatment of periodontal pockets affected with chronic periodontitis...
- Effects of metronidazole plus amoxicillin as the only therapy on the microbiological and clinical parameters of untreated chronic periodontitisNestor J Lopez
Department of Conservative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Clin Periodontol 33:648-60. 2006..To determine the effect of metronidazole plus amoxicillin (M+A) as the sole therapy, on the subgingival microbiota of chronic periodontitis...
- Benefit of "one-stage full-mouth disinfection" is explained by disinfection and root planing within 24 hours: a randomized controlled trialMarc Quirynen
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Periodontol 33:639-47. 2006..This parallel, single blind RCT study aimed to compare several full-mouth treatment strategies with each other...
- Full-mouth ultrasonic debridement and risk of disease recurrence: a 1-year follow-upCristiano Tomasi
Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 33:626-31. 2006....
- Prognostic factors in the treatment of generalized aggressive periodontitis: I. Clinical features and initial outcomeFrancis J Hughes
Collaborative Group in Risk Factors for Periodontal Disease, Institute of Dentistry, Queen Mary s School of Medicine, London, UK
J Clin Periodontol 33:663-70. 2006..The aims of this study were to investigate prognostic factors for initial response to non-surgical periodontal treatment for generalized aggressive periodontitis...
- Effects of Er:YAG laser compared to ultrasonic scaler in periodontal treatment: a 2-year follow-up split-mouth clinical studyRoberto Crespi
Department of Dentistry, Vita Salute University, San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
J Periodontol 78:1195-200. 2007..The aim of this clinical study was to compare the results of non-surgical treatment of periodontal disease with an erbium-doped:yttrium, aluminum, and garnet (Er:YAG) laser to root debridement with an ultrasonic scaler...
- Comparative clinical responses related to the use of various periodontal instrumentationPatrick R Obeid
Department of Periodontology, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Periodontol 31:193-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate in vivo the effectiveness of scaling and root planing of a power-driven mechanism compared with hand instruments and ultrasonic insert alone with a split-mouth design after 3 and 6 months...
- Amplified crevicular leukocyte activity in aggressive periodontal diseaseR Buchmann
Department of Periodontology and Oral Biology, Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
J Dent Res 81:716-21. 2002..Analysis of the data further suggests that surgical therapy is a more predictable method for removal of the pro-inflammatory etiology...
- Non-surgical periodontal treatment with a new ultrasonic device (Vector-ultrasonic system) or hand instrumentsAnton Sculean
Department of Periodontology and Operative Dentistry, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 31:428-33. 2004..The aim of this prospective, randomized, controlled clinical study was to compare the effectiveness of a newly developed ultrasonic device to that of scaling and root planing for non-surgical periodontal treatment...
- A comparative evaluation of the clinical effects of systemic and local doxycycline in the treatment of chronic periodontitisFerda Alev Akalin
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
J Oral Sci 46:25-35. 2004..LD may be more preferable than SD as an adjunct to mechanical treatment since LD seems more effective than SD on PD reduction and does not have the side effects of SD...
- Supragingival and subgingival microbiota of adult patients with Down's syndrome. Changes after periodontal treatmentD Sakellari
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Implant Biology, Dental School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 54006, Greece
Oral Microbiol Immunol 16:376-82. 2001..Inadequate oral hygiene as performed by these patients probably affected supragingival, and consequently subgingival, plaque composition...
- Susceptibility of GTR-regenerated periodontal attachment to ligature-induced periodontitisLambros Kostopoulos
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Royal Dental College, University of Aarhus, Denmark
J Clin Periodontol 31:336-40. 2004..This study aimed to compare the susceptibility of guided tissue regeneration (GTR)-regenerated periodontal attachment to ligature-induced periodontitis with that of the pristine periodontium...
- Gingival crevicular fluid matrix metalloproteinase-8 levels following adjunctive use of meloxicam and initial phase of periodontal therapyNurcan Buduneli
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Periodontol 73:103-9. 2002....
- Quadrant root planing versus same-day full-mouth root planing. II. Microbiological findingsD A Apatzidou
Periodontal and Oral Immunology Research Group, Glasgow Dental School, Glasgow, UK
J Clin Periodontol 31:141-8. 2004....
- Effects of smoking on clinical parameters and the gingival crevicular fluid levels of IL-6 and TNF-alpha in patients with chronic periodontitisEbru Olgun Erdemir
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
J Clin Periodontol 31:99-104. 2004....
- Controlled local delivery of tetracycline with polymer strips in the treatment of periodontitisLynn R Friesen
Department of Periodontics, University of Missouri Kansas City, School of Dentistry, 64108, USA
J Periodontol 73:13-9. 2002....
- Effect of periodontal treatment on the activity of chitinase in whole saliva of periodontitis patientsG J Van Steijn
Department of Medical Chemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Periodontal Res 37:245-9. 2002..No correlations were found between the above clinical parameters and the decrease in beta-N-acetylhexosaminidase activity...
- Effects of phase I periodontal treatment on gingival crevicular fluid levels of matrix metalloproteinase-1 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1Gülay Tüter
Gazi University, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Periodontology, Ankara, Turkey
J Periodontol 73:487-93. 2002..Levels of MMPs and TIMPs change during healing, inflammation, and normal tissue turnover. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of phase I periodontal treatment on gingival crevicular fluid (GCF) levels of MMP-1 and TIMP-1...
- Clinical responses to mechanical periodontal treatment in Chinese chronic periodontitis patients with and without Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitansKenny S K Tong
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
J Periodontol 74:1582-8. 2003..actinomycetemcomitans...
- Clinical effects of scaling and root planing in adults infected with Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitansHans Peter Müller
Faculty of Dentistry, Kuwait University, P O Box 24923, 13110 Safat, Kuwait
Clin Oral Investig 8:63-9. 2004..A direct comparison of the results obtained with both approaches of logistic regression may be helpful in the assessment of the influence of the magnitude of correlation of the data on the regression coefficients...
- MICROBIAL ASSOCIATIONS IN PERIODONTAL HEALTH AND DISEASEAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will provide a basis for understanding microbial community structure, ecological relationships and define desired microbiological end-point of therapy. ..
- Oral Home Telecare for TetraplegicsHon K Yuen; Fiscal Year: 2010..After a baseline oral health assessment and a dental scaling and prophylaxis, an individualized program of oral hygiene training using PC- based, high-speed two-way real-..
- Effect of tool design on hand pain in dental practiionersDavid M Rempel; Fiscal Year: 2010..tool handle design on hand and arm symptoms and function among 120 dental hygienists and dentists who perform dental scaling. Dentists and dental hygienists are at increased risk for the development of upper extremity musculoskeletal ..
- EFFECT OF ANTIBIOTICS ON ORAL BIOFILMS IN VIVOAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Three Periodontal Therapies in Current & Non-SmokersAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed investigation should provide a model to examine methods that could be useful in treating compromised patients whether compromised by harmful habits such as smoking, systemic disease, or genetic background. ..
- Identification of Uncultivated and Unrecognized Pathogens of PeriodontitisANNE DENISE HAFFAJEE; Fiscal Year: 2010..The identification of such pathogens should, over time, lead to better diagnosis of disease, optimal treatment strategies for the individual patient, new therapeutic approaches and carefully targeted approaches to prevention. ..
- Guided Pocket Recolonization (GPR) in PeriodontitisMarc Quirynen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Clinical data will be collected after 2, 4, 6, 8 and 12 weeks. The results should indicate the possible role for commensal organisms in periodontal disease and subgingival biofilm formation. ..
- Enhancement of informed consent in dental clinical trialJ Goodson; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE IN A SUBGINGIVAL BIOFILM MODELClay Walker; Fiscal Year: 2006..We believe the information derived from the experiments described will provide a better understanding of the subgingival flora and the effects that antibiotics may have on this flora. ..
- Aging: Effects on Infection, Inflammation and DiseaseMichael Novak; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long-term implications are that diet control may be considered as an effective public healthcare measure for improving the oral and general health and welfare of the population as a whole. ..
- TREATING PERIODONTAL INFECTION: GLYCEMIC CONTROLGeorge Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Periodontal Therapy: Effects on Glycemic Control in Community Health CentersGeorge Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Analysis Methods for Volume-Outcome StudiesKatherine Panageas; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our methodological research will heighten awareness of clustering in health policy studies. Upon completion of our research plan, we will make recommendations about various analytic strategies for clustered binary data. ..
- A Unified Surgical Instrument System for Periodontal Minimally Invasive SurgerySTEPHEN HARREL; Fiscal Year: 2007..The resulting system, based on the surgical consultants evaluations and scores, will be used in a Phase 2 multicenter controlled clinical evaluation of MIS. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HRT Decision Making in the Post-WHI EraKatherine Newton; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study will provide key information about HRT decision making, and experiences with HRT discontinuation, in an era of increased scientific clarity about HRT's risks and benefits. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES FOR MENOPAUSE: A RANDOMIZED TRIALKatherine Newton; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Oral Health Research TrainingMICHAEL REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2006..Where clinical training is interdigitated with the program, the clinical program director reports on the clinical progress to Dr. Jeffcoat. Program structure will also include internal and external advisory committees. ..
- UAB Oral Health Research Curriculum InnovationMICHAEL REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gene Expression in Chronic and Aggressive PeriodontitisPanos Papapanou; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, a pathobiology-based classification of periodontitis will facilitate correct diagnosis and targeted, efficient therapeutic prevention and intervention strategies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dendritic Cells in Periodontal Health and DiseaseRichard Oringer; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- North Carolina Needs Assessment for Oral Cancer ControlLauren Patton; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Diabetes Associations with Caries and Tooth LossGeorge Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results may also impact on existing clinical practice protocols, and promote new public policy in matters related to diabetes. ..
- International Conference on Tobacco Induced DiseasesDenis Kinane; Fiscal Year: 2004..Molecular biology of cancer/xenobiotics gene polymorphisms; 16. Cessation Techniques; 17. Harm Reduction; 18. Addiction therapy; 19. Rates of success; 20. Swedish snuff is healthier than tobacco smoking? Poster Session ..
- Periodontal Inflammation in Type 1 DiabetesThomas Van Dyke; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Child Obesity Intervention:Feasibility in Dental SettingMary Tavares; Fiscal Year: 2006..Recommendations and referrals (for those with BMI in the 85%ile or higher) will be individualized for each participant. ..
- SYSTEMIC EFFECTS OF PERIODONTITISJames Beck; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- PATIENT ORIENTED RESEARCH--ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERTHOMAS DODSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..This award leverages the PI's skills and talents by providing protected time to mentor additional trainees and to conduct high quality patient-oriented research. ..
- Conference: Elders' Oral Health SummitJudith Jones; Fiscal Year: 2004....