Genomes and Genes
Summary: Removal of dental plaque and dental calculus from the surface of a tooth, from the surface of a tooth apical to the gingival margin accumulated in periodontal pockets, or from the surface coronal to the gingival margin.
Publications184 found, 100 shown here
- The clinical effects of saline and aloe vera rinses on periodontal surgical sitesLisa Rieger
Department of Dental Hygiene, University of Oklahoma, College of Dentistry, USA
J Okla Dent Assoc 92:40-3. 2002
- Quadrant root planing versus same-day full-mouth root planing. I. Clinical findingsD A Apatzidou
Periodontal and Oral Immunology Research Group, Glasgow Dental School, Glasgow, UK
J Clin Periodontol 31:132-40. 2004..However, both modalities are efficacious and the clinician should select the treatment modality based on practical considerations related to patient preference and clinical workload...
- Effects of periodontal therapy on rate of preterm delivery: a randomized controlled trialSteven Offenbacher
Department of Dental Ecology and the Data and Statistical Coordinating Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Obstet Gynecol 114:551-9. 2009..To test the effects of maternal periodontal disease treatment on the incidence of preterm birth (delivery before 37 weeks of gestation)...
- Treatment of periodontitis and endothelial functionMaurizio S Tonetti
Department of Oral Health and Diagnostic Sciences, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, USA
N Engl J Med 356:911-20. 2007..Systemic inflammation may impair vascular function, and epidemiologic data suggest a possible link between periodontitis and cardiovascular disease...
- Incidence of bacteremia after chewing, tooth brushing and scaling in individuals with periodontal inflammationLone Forner
Department of Periodontology, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Periodontol 33:401-7. 2006..PRACTICAL IMPLICATIONS: The prevention and treatment of periodontal diseases appear to be crucial for the prevention of bacteremia associated with oral procedures...
- Periodontopathic microorganisms in peripheric blood after scaling and root planingGloria Inés Lafaurie
Instituto UIBO Unidad de Investigación Básica Oral, Universidad El Bosque, Bogota, Colombia
J Clin Periodontol 34:873-9. 2007..The objective of this study was to evaluate the frequency of periodontopathic and other subgingival anaerobic and facultative bacteria in the bloodstream following scaling and root planing (SRP)...
- Non-surgical periodontal therapy with adjunctive topical doxycycline: a double-blind randomized controlled multicenter studyPeter Eickholz
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Section of Periodontology, University Dental Clinic, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 29:108-17. 2002..Evaluation of the clinical effect of topical application of doxycycline adjunctive to non-surgical periodontal therapy...
- Effect of periodontal therapy on pregnancy outcome in women affected by periodontitisFouzia Tarannum
Department of Periodontics, M R Ambedkar Dental College and Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
J Periodontol 78:2095-103. 2007..This study determined the effect of non-surgical periodontal therapy on pregnancy outcome...
- Initial outcome and long-term effect of surgical and non-surgical treatment of advanced periodontal diseaseG Serino
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Odontology, , Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 28:910-6. 2001..CONCLUSION: In subjects with advanced periodontal disease, surgical therapy provides better short and long-term periodontal pocket reduction and may lead to fewer subjects requiring additional adjunctive therapy...
- Examining the safety of dental treatment in pregnant womenBryan S Michalowicz
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, 17 116 Moos Tower, 515 Delaware St S E, Minneapolis, Minn 55455, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 139:685-95. 2008..This study compares safety outcomes from a trial in which pregnant women received scaling and root planing and other dental treatments...
- Effects of periodontal therapy during pregnancy on periodontal status, biologic parameters, and pregnancy outcomes: a pilot studySteven Offenbacher
Department of Periodontology, Center for Oral and Systemic Diseases, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7455, USA
J Periodontol 77:2011-24. 2006..Few studies have examined the potential effects of periodontal treatment during pregnancy on pregnancy outcomes, periodontal status, and inflammatory biomarkers...
- Treatment of periodontal disease and the risk of preterm birthBryan S Michalowicz
Department of Developmental and Surgical Sciences, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
N Engl J Med 355:1885-94. 2006..Maternal periodontal disease has been associated with an increased risk of preterm birth and low birth weight. We studied the effect of nonsurgical periodontal treatment on preterm birth...
- Benefits of periodontal therapy when preterm birth threatensM Radnai
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Szeged, Szeged, Tisza, Hungary
J Dent Res 88:280-4. 2009..015). Periodontal treatment completed before the 35th week appeared to have a beneficial effect on birth weight and time of delivery...
- Effects of periodontal treatment phase I on birth term and birth weightS Sadatmansouri
Department of Periodontics, Islamic Azad University, Dental Branch, Iran
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 24:23-6. 2006..05). Periodontal therapy, phase I, results in a reduction in PLBW incidence rate. Therefore, the application of such a simple method among periodontally diseased pregnant women is recommended...
- Periodontal disease and preterm birth: results of a pilot intervention studyMarjorie K Jeffcoat
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Dentistry, Birmingham, AL, USA
J Periodontol 74:1214-8. 2003..The goal of this pilot trial was to determine the feasibility of conducting a trial to determine whether treatment of periodontitis reduces the risk of spontaneous preterm birth (SPTB)...
- A systematic review of the effect of surgical debridement vs non-surgical debridement for the treatment of chronic periodontitisL J A Heitz-Mayfield
Department of Periodontology and Fixed Prosthodontics, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
J Clin Periodontol 29:92-102; discussion 160-2. 2002..To systematically review the evidence of effectiveness of surgical vs. non-surgical therapy for the treatment of chronic periodontal disease...
- Meta-analysis of the effect of scaling and root planing, surgical treatment and antibiotic therapies on periodontal probing depth and attachment lossHsin-Chia Hung
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Periodontol 29:975-86. 2002..However, a consistent improvement in periodontal probing depth and gain of attachment is demonstrated when local antibiotic therapy is combined with root planing and scaling...
- In vitro, clinical, and microbiological evaluation of a linear oscillating device for scaling and root planingStefan Rupf
Department of Conservative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
J Periodontol 76:1942-9. 2005..05). CONCLUSION: Linear oscillation scaling was clinically acceptable and microbiologically comparable to the control groups despite microscopic remnants of calculus observed in vitro...
- Clinical outcomes of quadrant root planing versus full-mouth root planingP M Jervøe-Storm
Department of Periodontology, Operative and Preventive Dentistry, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 33:209-15. 2006..To determine the clinical effects of full mouth compared with quadrant wise scaling and root planing...
- Effects of Er:YAG laser compared to ultrasonic scaler in periodontal treatment: a 2-year follow-up split-mouth clinical studyRoberto Crespi
Department of Dentistry, Vita Salute University, San Raffaele Hospital, Milan, Italy
J Periodontol 78:1195-200. 2007..The aim of this clinical study was to compare the results of non-surgical treatment of periodontal disease with an erbium-doped:yttrium, aluminum, and garnet (Er:YAG) laser to root debridement with an ultrasonic scaler...
- Longitudinal clinical evaluation of adjunct minocycline in the treatment of chronic periodontitisJose Roberto Cortelli
Periodontics Research and Graduate Studies Division, Department of Dentistry, University of Taubate, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Periodontol 77:161-6. 2006....
- Propolis extract as an adjuvant to periodontal treatmentElaine Cristina Escobar Gebaraa
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oral Health Prev Dent 1:29-35. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of subgingival irrigation with propolis extract by clinical and microbiological parameters...
- Effectiveness of adjunctive low-dose doxycycline therapy on clinical parameters and gingival crevicular fluid laminin-5 gamma2 chain levels in chronic periodontitisGulnur Emingil
Ege University, School of Dentistry, Department of Periodontology, Izmir, Turkey
J Periodontol 75:1387-96. 2004....
- Clinical effects of scaling and root planing in adults infected with Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitansHans Peter Müller
Faculty of Dentistry, Kuwait University, P O Box 24923, 13110 Safat, Kuwait
Clin Oral Investig 8:63-9. 2004..A direct comparison of the results obtained with both approaches of logistic regression may be helpful in the assessment of the influence of the magnitude of correlation of the data on the regression coefficients...
- Debridement and local application of tetracycline-loaded fibres in the management of persistent periodontitis: results after 12 monthsM Aimetti
Department of Periodontology, University of Turin, Italy
J Clin Periodontol 31:166-72. 2004..The aim of our study was to evaluate the clinical, radiological and microbiological response to the local delivery of tetracycline (TE) of sites with persistent periodontal lesions...
- Comparative clinical responses related to the use of various periodontal instrumentationPatrick R Obeid
Department of Periodontology, Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Periodontol 31:193-9. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate in vivo the effectiveness of scaling and root planing of a power-driven mechanism compared with hand instruments and ultrasonic insert alone with a split-mouth design after 3 and 6 months...
- Effects of smoking on clinical parameters and the gingival crevicular fluid levels of IL-6 and TNF-alpha in patients with chronic periodontitisEbru Olgun Erdemir
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
J Clin Periodontol 31:99-104. 2004....
- Quadrant root planing versus same-day full-mouth root planing. II. Microbiological findingsD A Apatzidou
Periodontal and Oral Immunology Research Group, Glasgow Dental School, Glasgow, UK
J Clin Periodontol 31:141-8. 2004..01). CONCLUSION: This study failed to confirm that same-day FM-SRP resulted in greater microbiological improvements compared with Q-SRP at 2-weekly intervals over a 6-month period, as determined by PCR...
- Susceptibility of GTR-regenerated periodontal attachment to ligature-induced periodontitisLambros Kostopoulos
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Royal Dental College, University of Aarhus, Denmark
J Clin Periodontol 31:336-40. 2004..This study aimed to compare the susceptibility of guided tissue regeneration (GTR)-regenerated periodontal attachment to ligature-induced periodontitis with that of the pristine periodontium...
- A comparative evaluation of the clinical effects of systemic and local doxycycline in the treatment of chronic periodontitisFerda Alev Akalin
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
J Oral Sci 46:25-35. 2004..LD may be more preferable than SD as an adjunct to mechanical treatment since LD seems more effective than SD on PD reduction and does not have the side effects of SD...
- Non-surgical periodontal treatment with a new ultrasonic device (Vector-ultrasonic system) or hand instrumentsAnton Sculean
Department of Periodontology and Operative Dentistry, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 31:428-33. 2004..The aim of this prospective, randomized, controlled clinical study was to compare the effectiveness of a newly developed ultrasonic device to that of scaling and root planing for non-surgical periodontal treatment...
- Prognostic factors in the treatment of generalized aggressive periodontitis: I. Clinical features and initial outcomeFrancis J Hughes
Collaborative Group in Risk Factors for Periodontal Disease, Institute of Dentistry, Queen Mary s School of Medicine, London, UK
J Clin Periodontol 33:663-70. 2006..The aims of this study were to investigate prognostic factors for initial response to non-surgical periodontal treatment for generalized aggressive periodontitis...
- Full-mouth ultrasonic debridement and risk of disease recurrence: a 1-year follow-upCristiano Tomasi
Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 33:626-31. 2006....
- Tetracycline gel as an adjunct to surgical root debridementAntonio Wilson Sallum
Division of Prosthodontics and Periodontics, School of Dentistry at Piracicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Dent 21:168-70. 2008..To evaluate the influence of tetracycline gel, brushed on tooth surfaces, on periodontal clinical parameters following root debridement...
- Azithromycin as an adjunctive treatment of aggressive periodontitis: 12-months randomized clinical trialAlex N Haas
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
J Clin Periodontol 35:696-704. 2008..To assess the effect of systemic azithromycin as a supplement to scaling and root planing (SRP) in the treatment of aggressive periodontitis (AgP)...
- Gingival crevicular fluid alkaline phosphatase activity reflects periodontal healing/recurrent inflammation phases in chronic periodontitis patientsGiuseppe Perinetti
Department of Oral Sciences, University G D Annunzio, Chieti, Italy
J Periodontol 79:1200-7. 2008..Thus, the present study aimed to improve our understanding of how the healing of chronic periodontitis following scaling and root planing (SRP) affects GCF ALP activity after 15 and 60 days...
- Short-term clinical and immunologic effects of scaling and root planing with Er:YAG laser in chronic periodontitisBeatriz M V Lopes
Department of Periodontology, Araraquara Dental School, Sao Paulo State University, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
J Periodontol 79:1158-67. 2008..This study compared Er:YAG laser irradiation (100 mJ/pulse, 10 Hz, 12.9 J/cm(2)) with or without conventional scaling and root planing (SRP) to SRP only for the treatment of periodontal pockets affected with chronic periodontitis...
- Clinical and laboratory evaluations of non-surgical periodontal treatment in subjects with diabetes mellitusGabriela Alessandra da Cruz
Department of Prosthodontics and Periodontics, Division of Periodontics, Piracicaba Dental School, State University of Campinas, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Periodontol 79:1150-7. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical and laboratory changes 3 months after full-mouth scaling and root planing in subjects with and without diabetes mellitus...
- Systemic administration of doxycycline versus metronidazole plus amoxicillin in the treatment of localized aggressive periodontitis: a clinical and microbiologic studyHakan Akincibay
Department of Periodontology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Quintessence Int 39:e33-9. 2008....
- Microbial complexes in supragingival plaqueA D Haffajee
Department of Periodontology, The Forsyth Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 23:196-205. 2008..To examine microbial communities in supragingival biofilm samples...
- Combining host modulation and topical antimicrobial therapy in the management of moderate to severe periodontitis: a randomized multicenter trialM John Novak
Center for Oral Health Research, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0305, USA
J Periodontol 79:33-41. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate a combination therapy involving SRP, HMT, and TAT in the treatment of moderate to severe CP...
- Controlled-delivery chlorhexidine chip versus amoxicillin/metronidazole as adjunctive antimicrobial therapy for generalized aggressive periodontitis: a randomized controlled clinical trialDogan Kaner
Institute for Periodontology and Synoptic Dentistry, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 34:880-91. 2007..Generalized aggressive periodontitis (GAP) is commonly treated with SRP and adjunctive antimicrobial medication. To date, the efficacy of CHX chips in GAP therapy has not been evaluated...
- Periodontal therapy reduces arginase activity in saliva of patients with chronic periodontitisL W Gheren
Dental Research, Department of Dentistry, University of Taubate, Taubate, SP, Brazil
Clin Oral Investig 12:67-72. 2008..It was suggested that in the near future, SAA may be used as a salivary marker of periodontal status...
- Minocycline HCl microspheres reduce red-complex bacteria in periodontal disease therapyJ Max Goodson
Department of Clinical Research, The Forsyth Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Periodontol 78:1568-79. 2007..DNA probe analysis for 40 bacteria was used to evaluate the oral bacteria of 127 subjects with moderate to advanced chronic periodontitis...
- Periodontal healing after non-surgical therapy with a new ultrasonic device: a randomized controlled clinical trialM Christgau
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Regensburg, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 34:137-47. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the clinical and microbiological healing outcomes following non-surgical periodontal therapy using the new Vector ultrasonic system versus scaling and root planing (S/RP) with Gracey curettes...
- A bivariate multi-level model, which avoids mathematical coupling in the study of change and initial periodontal attachment level after therapyHans Peter Müller
Faculty of Dentistry, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
Clin Oral Investig 11:307-10. 2007..The present communication provides an easy strategy for the avoidance of mathematical coupling in the study between change and initial value by employing a bivariate multi-level model...
- Gingival crevicular fluid osteopontin levels in periodontal health and diseaseC G Dileep Sharma
Department of Periodontics, KGF College of Dental Sciences and Hospital, KGF, Karnataka, India
J Periodontol 77:1674-80. 2006..The data indicate that OPN may play a key role in, and could be considered a biomarker of, periodontal disease progression...
- Periodontal healing after non-surgical therapy with a modified sonic scaler: a controlled clinical trialM Christgau
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 33:749-58. 2006..The aim of this study was to compare the clinical and microbiological healing outcomes following non-surgical periodontal therapy using a modified sonic scaler system versus scaling and root planing (S/RP) with hand instruments...
- Effects of metronidazole plus amoxicillin as the only therapy on the microbiological and clinical parameters of untreated chronic periodontitisNestor J Lopez
Department of Conservative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
J Clin Periodontol 33:648-60. 2006..To determine the effect of metronidazole plus amoxicillin (M+A) as the sole therapy, on the subgingival microbiota of chronic periodontitis...
- Benefit of "one-stage full-mouth disinfection" is explained by disinfection and root planing within 24 hours: a randomized controlled trialMarc Quirynen
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Periodontol 33:639-47. 2006..This parallel, single blind RCT study aimed to compare several full-mouth treatment strategies with each other...
- Photodynamic therapy as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal treatment: a randomized, controlled clinical trialNicos Christodoulides
Department of Periodontology, Radboud University Medical Center, Philips van Leydenlaan 25, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Periodontol 79:1638-44. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical and microbiologic effects of the adjunctive use of PDT to non-surgical periodontal treatment...
- Effects of selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibition on gingival tissue levels of prostaglandin E2 and prostaglandin F2alpha and clinical parameters of chronic periodontitisSaynur Vardar
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Periodontol 74:57-63. 2003....
- Supragingival and subgingival microbiota of adult patients with Down's syndrome. Changes after periodontal treatmentD Sakellari
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Implant Biology, Dental School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 54006, Greece
Oral Microbiol Immunol 16:376-82. 2001..Inadequate oral hygiene as performed by these patients probably affected supragingival, and consequently subgingival, plaque composition...
- The effect of alendronate sodium on alveolar bone loss in periodontitis (clinical trial)Una M El-Shinnawi
Department of Oral Medicine and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
J Int Acad Periodontol 5:5-10. 2003..Alendronate sodium had no effect on the clinical parameters and could play an important role as an adjunct to conventional periodontal therapy in management of periodontal diseases...
- Controlled local delivery of tetracycline with polymer strips in the treatment of periodontitisLynn R Friesen
Department of Periodontics, University of Missouri-Kansas City, School of Dentistry, 64108, USA
J Periodontol 73:13-9. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: Our data suggest that multiple strips are superior to a single strip in reducing bleeding on probing, and that local delivery of tetracycline is superior to root planing alone in reducing probing depth...
- Change in subgingival microbial profiles in adult periodontitis subjects receiving either systemically-administered amoxicillin or metronidazoleM Feres
Department of Periodontology, The Forsyth Institute, Boston MA, USA
J Clin Periodontol 28:597-609. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The data suggest that metronidazole and amoxicillin are useful in rapidly lowering counts of putative periodontal pathogens, but must be accompanied by other procedures to bring about periodontal stability...
- A 2-step non-surgical procedure and systemic antibiotics in the treatment of rapidly progressive periodontitisB Sigusch
Department of Periodontology, Conservative Dentistry, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Germany
J Periodontol 72:275-83. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The present results show that metronidazole and clindamycin are effective antibiotics when used adjunctively in a 2-step nonsurgical procedure of scaling and root planing in RPP patients...
- The effect of systemic antibiotics in the treatment of patients with recurrent periodontitisG Serino
Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, , Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 28:411-8. 2001..It is suggested that removal of certain subgingival deposits, therefore, may require surgical intervention...
- Effect of non-surgical periodontal treatment on clinical parameters and the numbers of Porphyromonas gingivalis, Prevotella intermedia and Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans at adult periodontitis sitesS Doungudomdacha
Department of Oral Pathology, School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield, UK
J Clin Periodontol 28:437-45. 2001..CONCLUSION: This study demonstrates the usefulness of Q-PCR for enumerating putative pathogens in clinical periodontal specimens and that the numbers of the three organisms in all sites decrease with non-surgical periodontal therapy...
- The effects of EDTA gel conditioning exposure time on periodontitis-affected human root surfaces: surface topography and PDL cell adhesionAhmed Y Gamal
Faculty of Dental Medicine, Al Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
J Int Acad Periodontol 5:11-22. 2003..It appears from the present investigation that EDTA gel conditioning for 4 minutes provides the most desirable root surface to which maximum PDL cells can adhere and on which they can grow...
- The long-term effect of systemic tetracycline used as an adjunct to non-surgical treatment of advanced periodontitisP Ramberg
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Odontology, , Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 28:446-52. 2001..Annual rates of probing attachment level change from 1 to 13 years did not differ between groups...
- Amplified crevicular leukocyte activity in aggressive periodontal diseaseR Buchmann
Department of Periodontology and Oral Biology, Goldman School of Dental Medicine, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
J Dent Res 81:716-21. 2002..Analysis of the data further suggests that surgical therapy is a more predictable method for removal of the pro-inflammatory etiology...
- Mutans streptococci in subgingival plaque of treated and untreated patients with periodontitisW A van der Reijden
Sections of Clinical Periodontal Microbiology and Oral Microbiology, Department of Oral Biology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Periodontol 28:686-91. 2001..005) and 2.51% in patients after scaling and root planing (p=0.041). CONCLUSIONS: The subgingival area is a microbial habitat for mutans streptococci that may be of importance in the development of root caries in periodontitis patients...
- Relationship of changes in interleukin-8 levels and granulocyte elastase activity in gingival crevicular fluid to subgingival periodontopathogens following non-surgical periodontal therapy in subjects with chronic periodontitisL J Jin
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
J Clin Periodontol 29:604-14. 2002....
- Clinical evaluation of an Er:YAG laser combined with scaling and root planing for non-surgical periodontal treatment. A controlled, prospective clinical studyFrank Schwarz
Department of Oral Surgery, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 30:26-34. 2003....
- Gingival crevicular fluid matrix metalloproteinase-8 levels following adjunctive use of meloxicam and initial phase of periodontal therapyNurcan Buduneli
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
J Periodontol 73:103-9. 2002....
- Clinical responses to mechanical periodontal treatment in Chinese chronic periodontitis patients with and without Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitansKenny S K Tong
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, People's Republic of China
J Periodontol 74:1582-8. 2003..actinomycetemcomitans. The mere detection of subgignival A. actinomycetemcomitans does not necessarily imply poorer treatment outcomes in the control of chronic periodontitis...
- Clinical significance of non-surgical periodontal therapy: an evidence-based perspective of scaling and root planingCharles M Cobb
Department of Periodontics, School of Dentistry, University of Missouri, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
J Clin Periodontol 29:6-16. 2002..Lastly, an abbreviated discussion is presented on a relatively new paradigm of complete mouth 'disinfection' in a compressed time-frame that includes SRP as a significant component of the treatment regimen...
- Controlling the plaque biofilmA D Haffajee
Department of Periodontology, The Forsyth Institute, Boston MA, USA
Int Dent J 53:191-9. 2003..To examine the effect of supragingival plaque removal in conjunction with different periodontal therapies on subgingival plaque composition in different subject populations...
- Influence of different periodontal curette grips on the outcome of mechanical non-surgical therapyVarol Canakci
Ataturk Universitesi, Dishekimligi Fakultesi, Periodontoloji Anabilim Dali, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Int Dent J 53:153-8. 2003..To determine to whether successful scaling and root planing (SRP) depends upon the grip used on the periodontal curette...
- Effects of phase I periodontal treatment on gingival crevicular fluid levels of matrix metalloproteinase-1 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1Gülay Tüter
Gazi University, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Periodontology, Ankara, Turkey
J Periodontol 73:487-93. 2002..Levels of MMPs and TIMPs change during healing, inflammation, and normal tissue turnover. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of phase I periodontal treatment on gingival crevicular fluid (GCF) levels of MMP-1 and TIMP-1...
- Periodontal treatment with an Er:YAG laser or scaling and root planing. A 2-year follow-up split-mouth studyFrank Schwarz
Department of Oral Surgery, Heinrich Helne University, Westdeutsche Kieferklinik, Dusseldorf, Germany
J Periodontol 74:590-6. 2003..Therefore, the aim of the present study was to present the 2-year results following non-surgical periodontal treatment with an Er:YAG laser or scaling and root planing...
- The use of tetracycline fibres in the treatment of generalised aggressive periodontitis: clinical and microbiological findingsD Sakellari
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Implant Biology, Dental School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
J Int Acad Periodontol 5:52-60. 2003..In conclusion, the clinical and microbiological data of the present study suggest that the adjunctive use of TCF improves the clinical response of scaling and root planing in aggressive periodontitis patients...
- Clinical outcome observed in subjects with recurrent periodontal disease following local treatment with 25% metronidazole gelH Jansson
Department of Periodontology, Center for Oral Health Sciences, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden
J Periodontol 74:372-7. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical outcome in patients with recurrent periodontal disease following treatment with 25% metronidazole gel...
- Effect of periodontal treatment on the activity of chitinase in whole saliva of periodontitis patientsG J Van Steijn
Department of Medical Chemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Periodontal Res 37:245-9. 2002..No correlations were found between the above clinical parameters and the decrease in beta-N-acetylhexosaminidase activity...
- Survey of the oral health needs of institutionalised elderly patients in Western AustraliaA J Stockwell
Dental Health Services, Health Department of Western Australia, Perth
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 15:273-6. 1987..Of all dentate patients 56% needed dental scaling (and 17% needed complex periodontal treatment), 47% needed some restorative treatment (with a mean need per ..
- Comparison of the effect of video glasses and nitrous oxide analgesia on the perceived intensity of pain and unpleasantness evoked by dental scalingBo Bentsen
Department of Oral Radiology, Royal Dental College, University of Aarhus Denmark, Vennelyst Boulevard 9, DK 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Eur J Pain 7:49-53. 2003..induced by video glasses had an effect on the perceived intensity of pain and unpleasantness during dental scaling compared with the effect of nitrous oxide (N(2)O) analgesia...
- The aetiology and treatment of oral halitosis: an updateP P C Lee
Room 2017B, Argyle Centre Phase 1, 688 Nathan Road, Mongkok, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 10:414-8. 2004..Professional advice should be given on oral hygiene and diet, and treatments should include dental scaling, and root planing of the associated periodontal pockets to reduce the bacterial loading...
- [General physicians' knowledge of dental operation prophylaxis for infective endocarditis]Yehuda Zadik
The Zerifin Central Dental Clinic
Harefuah 146:751-4, 815. 2007..To evaluate the knowledge of young primary health care physicians in relation to the 1997 AHA guidelines for the prevention of bacterial endocarditis in relation to dental treatment in patients at risk...
- Effect of propranolol on mepivacaine serum concentrations in dental practiceSanda Mihaela Popescu
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Faculty of Dental Medicine, University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Craiova, Romania
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 105:e19-23. 2008..The objective of this study was to determine the effect of propranolol pretreatment on mepivacaine serum concentrations in dental patients...
- Microbiologic changes following administration of locally delivered doxycycline in smokers: a 15-month follow-upLuciana M Shaddox
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Periodontol 78:2143-9. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate long-term microbiologic changes following locally delivered doxycycline in the treatment of smokers...
- Treatment of Papillon-LefÃ¨vre syndrome periodontitisJ J Pacheco
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, , Paredes, Portugal
J Clin Periodontol 29:370-4. 2002..1 % of subgingival isolates. CONCLUSION: This study suggests that controlling the periodontopathic microbiota by appropriate antibiotic and conventional periodontal therapy can arrest Papillon-LefÃ¨vre syndrome periodontitis...
- Microbiological changes with the use of locally delivered doxycycline in the periodontal treatment of smokersLuciana Machion
Department of Periodontics and Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry at Piracicaba (UNICAMP, , Brazil
J Periodontol 75:1600-4. 2004..05). CONCLUSION: The use of locally delivered doxycycline may promote the elimination of T. forsythensis and P. gingivalis in a greater proportion of sites compared to conventional scaling and root planing in smokers...
- Pain during prophylaxis treatment elicited by two power-driven instrumentsT Kocher
Dental School, University of Greifswald, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 32:535-8. 2005..The aim of this study was to measure pain on a visual analogue scale (VAS) during removal of supragingival calculus on mandibular incisors with a sonic or an ultrasonic scaler...
- Salivary enzyme levels after scaling and interleukin-1 genotypes in Japanese patients with chronic periodontitisHiromasa Yoshie
Department of Periodontology, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, Japan
J Periodontol 78:498-503. 2007....
- In vivo ultrasonic debridement forces in bicuspids: a pilot studyMartin Ruppert
Department of Periodontology, Endodontology and Cariology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Basel, Switzerland
J Periodontol 73:418-22. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: From these observations, it may be concluded that application of ultrasonic debridement therapy is highly subjective, and that dentists and dental hygienists may not be adequately trained to use these instruments optimally...
- Microbiology and treatment of dental abscesses and periodontal-endodontic lesionsGunnar Dahlen
Department of Oral Microbiology, Goteborg University, Sweden
Periodontol 2000 28:206-39. 2002
- Some effects of non-surgical therapy on gingival inflammatory cell subsets in patients with early-onset periodontitis associated with Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitansJ W Kleinfelder
Department of Periodontology, Medical Center St Radboud, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Periodontol 72:1713-9. 2001..In addition, the effect of scaling and root planing on various lymphocyte subsets is described rather sparsely...
- Atypical streptococcal infection of gingiva associated with chronic mouth breathingM Cenk Haytac
Cukurova University, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Periodontology, Balcali, Adana, Turkey
Quintessence Int 38:E577-82. 2007..Streptococcal gingivitis should be included in the differential diagnosis of suppurative gingival enlargements. Furthermore, chronic mouth breathing may initiate and/or contribute to this disease...
- [Implementation of transgingival antibacterial photodynamic therapy (PDT) supplementary to scaling and root planing. A controlled clinical proof-of-principle study]Gérald Mettraux
Fachzahnarzt für Parodontologie, Privatpraxis, Bern
Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 121:53-67. 2011..The antibacterial photodynamic therapy (PDT) has been effective in the periodontal therapy. The laser light application reported in the literature so far is the subgingival placement of a light fibre...
- Anemia of chronic disease and chronic periodontitis: does periodontal therapy have an effect on anemic status?A R Pradeep
Department of Periodontics, Government Dental College and Research Institute, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
J Periodontol 82:388-94. 2011....
- Local delivery of hyaluronan as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitisAnnsofi Johannsen
Dental Hygiene Program and Department of Periodontology, Institute of Odontology, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden
J Periodontol 80:1493-7. 2009..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the adjunctive effect of the local application of a hyaluronan gel to scaling and root planing in the treatment of chronic periodontitis...
- Detection of neutral protease (Periocheck) and BANA hydrolase (Perioscan) compared with traditional clinical methods of diagnosis and monitoring of chronic inflammatory periodontal diseaseK W Hemmings
Department of Periodontology, Eastman Dental Institute, London, UK
J Clin Periodontol 24:110-4. 1997..4% for Periocheck and 52% for Perioscan. The diagnostic kits did not reliably reflect the clinical assessment of periodontal disease in the cross sectional study, or the outcome following treatment...
- Retrospective study of teeth with a poor prognosis following non-surgical periodontal treatmentDaisuke Ekuni
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Shikata cho, Okayama, Japan
J Clin Periodontol 36:343-8. 2009....
- Comparison of clinical outcomes following treatment of chronic adult periodontitis with subgingival scaling or subgingival scaling plus metronidazole gelG S Griffiths
Department of Periodontology, Eastman Dental Institute and Hospital for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London, UK
J Clin Periodontol 27:910-7. 2000..This 2-centre study compared the clinical effects of subgingival scaling (SRP) with SRP plus subgingival application of 25% metronidazole gel, Elyzol (SRP+gel), in patients with chronic adult periodontitis...
- Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy in the non-surgical treatment of aggressive periodontitis: cytokine profile in gingival crevicular fluid, preliminary resultsRafael Ramos de Oliveira
Department of Bucco Maxillofacial Surgery and Traumatology and Periodontology, School of Dentistry of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
J Periodontol 80:98-105. 2009....
- Treatment of intrabony defects using guided tissue regeneration or enamel matrix derivative: a 3-year prospective randomized clinical studyAlessandro Crea
Division of Periodontology, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
J Periodontol 79:2281-9. 2008..The aim of this randomized, controlled, prospective clinical study was to compare guided tissue regeneration (GTR) to enamel matrix derivative (EMD) for the treatment of intrabony defects in patients with chronic advanced periodontitis...
- Moxifloxacin as an adjunctive antibiotic in the treatment of severe chronic periodontitisArndt Guentsch
Department of Conservative Dentistry, University Hospital of Jena, Jena, Germany
J Periodontol 79:1894-903. 2008..The impact of moxifloxacin (MOX) was analyzed in the treatment of severe chronic periodontitis...
- Efficacy of subantimicrobial dosing with doxycycline. Point/counterpointG Greenstein
Department of Periodontology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 132:457-66. 2001..The evidence indicates that suppression of the bacterial challenge, which reduces the host response, is the most efficient way to control periodontal diseases...
- Advances in power driven pocket/root instrumentationA Damien Walmsley
School of Dentistry, The University of Birmingham, St Chad s Queensway, Birmingham, UK
J Clin Periodontol 35:22-8. 2008..The primary aim was: "Does power-driven pocket/root instrumentation offer a clinical advantage over hand instrumentation"? Secondary aim was to update knowledge base of power-driven instrumentation post Tunkel et al. (2002)...
- Cluster headache following dental treatment: a case reportYoshinobu Shoji
School of Dentistry, International Medical University, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Oral Sci 53:125-7. 2011..The area of involvement may obscure the diagnosis and lead to irreversible and unnecessary dental treatment. A case in which cluster attacks occurred immediately after a dental procedure is described...
- MICROBIAL ASSOCIATIONS IN PERIODONTAL HEALTH AND DISEASEAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will provide a basis for understanding microbial community structure, ecological relationships and define desired microbiological end-point of therapy. ..
- Identification of Uncultivated and Unrecognized Pathogens of PeriodontitisAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2007..The identification of such pathogens should, over time, lead to better diagnosis of disease, optimal treatment strategies for the individual patient, new therapeutic approaches and carefully targeted approaches to prevention. ..
- Effect of tool design on hand pain in dental practiionersDavid M Rempel; Fiscal Year: 2010..tool handle design on hand and arm symptoms and function among 120 dental hygienists and dentists who perform dental scaling. Dentists and dental hygienists are at increased risk for the development of upper extremity musculoskeletal ..
- Guided Pocket Recolonization (GPR) in PeriodontitisMarc Quirynen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Clinical data will be collected after 2, 4, 6, 8 and 12 weeks. The results should indicate the possible role for commensal organisms in periodontal disease and subgingival biofilm formation. ..
- Three Periodontal Therapies in Current & Non-SmokersAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed investigation should provide a model to examine methods that could be useful in treating compromised patients whether compromised by harmful habits such as smoking, systemic disease, or genetic background. ..
- Identification of Uncultivated and Unrecognized Pathogens of PeriodontitisAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2009..The identification of such pathogens should, over time, lead to better diagnosis of disease, optimal treatment strategies for the individual patient, new therapeutic approaches and carefully targeted approaches to prevention. ..
- MICROBIAL ASSOCIATIONS IN PERIODONTAL HEALTH AND DISEASEAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2000..In addition the importance and biological basis of supragingival plaque control in the treatment and prevention of periodontal diseases and in maintaining stability of the periodontium will be determined. ..
- Identification of Uncultivated and Unrecognized Pathogens of PeriodontitisANNE DENISE HAFFAJEE; Fiscal Year: 2010..The identification of such pathogens should, over time, lead to better diagnosis of disease, optimal treatment strategies for the individual patient, new therapeutic approaches and carefully targeted approaches to prevention. ..
- EFFECT OF ANTIBIOTICS ON ORAL BIOFILMS IN VIVOAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Aging: Effects on Infection, Inflammation and DiseaseMichael Novak; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long-term implications are that diet control may be considered as an effective public healthcare measure for improving the oral and general health and welfare of the population as a whole. ..
- ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE IN A SUBGINGIVAL BIOFILM MODELClay Walker; Fiscal Year: 2006..We believe the information derived from the experiments described will provide a better understanding of the subgingival flora and the effects that antibiotics may have on this flora. ..
- Gene Expression in Chronic and Aggressive PeriodontitisPanos Papapanou; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, a pathobiology-based classification of periodontitis will facilitate correct diagnosis and targeted, efficient therapeutic prevention and intervention strategies. ..
- Oral Health Research TrainingMICHAEL REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2006..Where clinical training is interdigitated with the program, the clinical program director reports on the clinical progress to Dr. Jeffcoat. Program structure will also include internal and external advisory committees. ..
- Clinical Research Training in Oral Diseases for Future *James Beck; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Oral Health-Related Quality of Life in children and their FamiliesJudith Jones; Fiscal Year: 2007..preparation of manuscripts and their publication in peer-reviewed journals; and 5. preparations of posters and slide presentations to present to national, regional and local scientific meetings. ..
- Neutrophils and Periodontitis in DiabetesThomas Van Dyke; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies have the potential of leading to better methods of treating periodontal disease and perhaps other complications of diabetes. ..
- Epithelial Cell TLRs in Disease SusceptibilityDenis Kinane; Fiscal Year: 2007..Characterization of response differences and determination of related SNPs may lead to new therapeutics or diagnostics in a range of infectious and inflammatory diseases. ..
- Dendritic Cells in Periodontal Health and DiseaseRichard Oringer; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Periodontal Inflammation in Type 1 DiabetesThomas Van Dyke; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- North Carolina Needs Assessment for Oral Cancer ControlLauren Patton; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Diabetes Associations with Caries and Tooth LossGeorge Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results may also impact on existing clinical practice protocols, and promote new public policy in matters related to diabetes. ..
- International Conference on Tobacco Induced DiseasesDenis Kinane; Fiscal Year: 2004..Molecular biology of cancer/xenobiotics gene polymorphisms; 16. Cessation Techniques; 17. Harm Reduction; 18. Addiction therapy; 19. Rates of success; 20. Swedish snuff is healthier than tobacco smoking? Poster Session ..
- Enhancement of informed consent in dental clinical trialJ Goodson; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Rescue Therapy in Dental Clinical TrialsJ Goodson; Fiscal Year: 2002..Controlling access to the individually identifiable health information would at the same time implement subject privacy as mandated by the Final Privacy Rule, the Common Rule and the FDA's human subjects regulations. ..
- Child Obesity Intervention:Feasibility in Dental SettingMary Tavares; Fiscal Year: 2006..Recommendations and referrals (for those with BMI in the 85%ile or higher) will be individualized for each participant. ..
- DENTAL ATHEROSCLEROSIS RISK IN COMMUNITIESJames Beck; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- Conference: Elders' Oral Health SummitJudith Jones; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- SYSTEMIC EFFECTS OF PERIODONTITISJames Beck; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- PATIENT ORIENTED RESEARCH--ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERTHOMAS DODSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..This award leverages the PI's skills and talents by providing protected time to mentor additional trainees and to conduct high quality patient-oriented research. ..