Genomes and Genes
Summary: A numerical rating scale for classifying the periodontal status of a person or population with a single figure which takes into consideration prevalence as well as severity of the condition. It is based upon probe measurement of periodontal pockets and on gingival tissue status.
Publications261 found, 100 shown here
- Relationship between periodontitis and hepatic abnormalities in young adultsMichiko Furuta
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kita ku, Okayama, Japan
Acta Odontol Scand 68:27-33. 2010..This study was designed to investigate the relationship between ALT and the presence of periodontitis in university students in Japan...
- The severity of periodontal disease is associated with the development of glucose intolerance in non-diabetics: the Hisayama studyT Saito
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Kyushu University Faculty of Dental Science, Maidashi 3 1 1, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Dent Res 83:485-90. 2004..Deep pockets were closely related to current glucose tolerance status and the development of glucose intolerance...
- Clinical and microbiological studies of children and adolescents receiving orthodontic treatmentRodrigo O Rego
Division of Periodontics, School of Pharmacy, Dentistry and Nursing, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza, CE, Brazil
Am J Dent 23:317-23. 2010..This case-controlled study examined clinical and microbiological parameters in Brazilian children and adolescents receiving orthodontic treatment using fixed orthodontic appliances or removable orthodontic appliances...
- Effects of smoking on periodontal tissuesGloria Calsina
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Periodontol 29:771-6. 2002....
- Association between metabolic syndrome and periodontal diseaseO M Andriankaja
Center for Clinical Research and Health Promotion, School of Dental Medicine, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Aust Dent J 55:252-9. 2010....
- Clinical risk factors associated with incidence and progression of periodontal conditions in pregnant womenKevin L Moss
Department of Dental Ecology, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Clin Periodontol 32:492-8. 2005..This study aimed to identify clinical factors that were predictive of incidence/progression of periodontal measures in pregnant women adjusting for relevant predictors...
- Oral health status of heroin users in a rehabilitation centre in Hubei province, ChinaM Du
Department of Preventive Dentistry, College and Hospital of Stomatology, Hubei Medical University, Wuhan City, PR China
Community Dent Health 18:94-8. 2001..Mucosal lesions were not widely prevalent. Both social factors and characteristics of drug use were related to oral health in this group...
- A systematic review of definitions of periodontitis and methods that have been used to identify this diseaseAmir Savage
UCL Eastman Dental Institute, London WC1X 8WD, UK
J Clin Periodontol 36:458-67. 2009..To perform a systematic review and critical analysis of the definitions of periodontitis and the methods which have been used to identify and measure this disease...
- Number of teeth as a predictor of cardiovascular mortality in a cohort of 7,674 subjects followed for 12 yearsAnders Holmlund
Department of Periodontology, County Hospital of Gävle Sandviken, 801 87 Gävle, Sweden
J Periodontol 81:870-6. 2010..This study investigates if different parameters of oral health are associated with future mortality in different cardiovascular disorders in a dose-dependent manner...
- Methodological issues in epidemiological studies of periodontitis--how can it be improved?Roos Leroy
Catholic University Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
BMC Oral Health 10:8. 2010..One of these areas is epidemiology of periodontal diseases...
- The relationship between periodontitis and preterm low birthweightM V Vettore
Department of Epidemiology and Quantitative Methods in Health, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation ENSP FIOCRUZ, Rua Leopoldo Bulhões, 1480 Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, CEP 21041 210 RJ, Brazil
J Dent Res 87:73-8. 2008..Periodontal disease was not more severe in women with preterm low birthweight babies...
- Long-term implant prognosis in patients with and without a history of chronic periodontitis: a 10-year prospective cohort study of the ITI Dental Implant SystemIoannis K Karoussis
Department of Periodontology and Fixed Prosthodontics, University of Berne, School of Dental Medicine, Berne, Switzerland
Clin Oral Implants Res 14:329-39. 2003..The aim of this 10-year study was to compare the failure, success and complication rates between patients having lost their teeth due to periodontitis or other reasons...
- The long-term effect of a plaque control program on tooth mortality, caries and periodontal disease in adults. Results after 30 years of maintenanceP Axelsson
Department of Periodontology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Gothenburg, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 31:749-57. 2004..The biofilm that forms and remains on tooth surfaces is the main etiological factor in caries and periodontal disease. Prevention of caries and periodontal disease must be based on means that counteract this bacterial plaque...
- Cigar, pipe, and cigarette smoking as risk factors for periodontal disease and tooth lossJ M Albandar
Department of Periodontology, Temple University School of Dentistry, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
J Periodontol 71:1874-81. 2000..We also investigated whether a history of smoking habits cessation may affect the risk of periodontal disease and tooth loss...
- Matrix molecules and growth factors as indicators of periodontal disease activityWilliam V Giannobile
Periodontol 2000 31:125-34. 2003
- Peri-implantitis in partially edentulous patients: association with inadequate plaque controlGiovanni Serino
Department of Periodontology, Södra Älvsborgs Hospital, Boras, Sweden
Clin Oral Implants Res 20:169-74. 2009..The aim of the present study was to describe some clinical periodontal features of partially edentulous patients referred for the treatment of peri-implantitis...
- Clinical outcomes of single-visit oral prophylaxis: a practice-based randomised controlled trialClare L Jones
School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
BMC Oral Health 11:35. 2011..A recent systematic review recommended that future trials investigating scale and polish should involve dental practice patients...
- Factors influencing the outcome of regenerative therapy in mandibular Class II furcations: Part IGerald M Bowers
University of Maryland Dental School, Department of Periodontics, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Periodontol 74:1255-68. 2003..Results of therapy were evaluated at 1 and 2 years postoperatively. One-year outcome data are presented in this report...
- Gingival changes during pregnancy: II. Influence of hormonal variations on the subgingival biofilmAna Carrillo-de-Albornoz
Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Complutense University of Madrid, Spain
J Clin Periodontol 37:230-40. 2010..To determine whether the exacerbated gingival inflammation that develops in pregnant women is related to a change in the subgingival biofilm induced by the increase in hormone levels during pregnancy...
- Dental status of patients with mental disorders in a Nigerian teaching hospital: a preliminary surveyAbiola A Adeniyi
Preventive Unit, Dental Department, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
Spec Care Dentist 31:134-7. 2011..006), and caries occurrence (p= .047). The oral health status of psychiatric patients in Nigeria is poor, indicating the need to provide oral health education and increase access to dental care for these patients...
- The effect of aspirin on the periodontal parameter bleeding on probingJanet Schrodi
Departments of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics, UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Periodontol 73:871-6. 2002..The purpose of this double-blind placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial was to study the effect of short-term daily aspirin ingestion on the clinical parameter BOP...
- Oral health status and treatment requirements of hospitalized psychiatric patients in Bangalore city: a comparative studyR Rekha
Dept of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Dayanand Sagar College of Dental Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 20:63-7. 2002..Higher proportion of psychiatric patients were suffering from TMJ disorders. Further, extensive dental treatment requirements were observed among these patients...
- The effect of sociocultural status on periodontal conditions in pregnancyFunda Yalcin
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Istanbul University, Turkey
J Periodontol 73:178-82. 2002....
- Periodontal status, sociodemographic, and behavioral indicators in subjects attending a public dental school in Brazil: analysis of clinical attachment lossCarina M Silva-Boghossian
Department of Dental Clinics, Division of Graduate Periodontics, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
J Periodontol 80:1945-54. 2009..The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence, extent, and severity of clinical attachment loss (AL) and their association with sociodemographic and behavioral parameters of subjects attending a public dental school in Brazil...
- Periodontal disease and atherosclerosis from the viewpoint of the relationship between community periodontal index of treatment needs and brachial-ankle pulse wave velocityKoichi Miyaki
Department of Health Informatics, Kyoto University School of Public Health, Kyoto, Japan
BMC Public Health 6:131. 2006..However, the relationship between periodontal disease and atherosclerosis has not been fully elucidated. This study aimed to assess the effects of periodontal disease on atherosclerosis...
- Relationship between markers of metabolic control and inflammation on severity of periodontal disease in patients with diabetes mellitusL P Lim
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, National University of Singapore, Singapore
J Clin Periodontol 34:118-23. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between markers of metabolic control and inflammation and periodontal disease parameters in patients with diabetes...
- Association between chronic dental infection and acute myocardial infarctionBrita Willershausen
Department of Operative Dentistry, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Endod 35:626-30. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate whether there is a correlation between dental origin infections and the presence of an acute myocardial infarction (AMI)...
- Relationships among clinical measures of periodontal disease and their associations with systemic markersJames D Beck
Department of Dental Ecology University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Ann Periodontol 7:79-89. 2002..Another important consideration is the temporal relationship between the exposure and the outcome of interest...
- Dose-response relationship between periodontal inflamed surface area and HbA1c in type 2 diabeticsWillem Nesse
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Periodontol 36:295-300. 2009..A dose-response relationship between the amount of inflamed periodontal tissue and HbA1c level, might be indicative for a causal association between periodontitis and type 2 diabetes...
- The oral health of psychiatric in-patients in South WalesS Lewis
Department of Adult Dental Health, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF144XY, Wales, UK
Spec Care Dentist 21:182-6. 2001..The oral hygiene of the dentate population was poor, and there was little periodontal disease. Treatment needs were mainly for scaling and polishing. There were no significant differences found between subgroups within the population...
- Association among rheumatoid arthritis, oral hygiene, and periodontitisN Pischon
Department of Periodontology, Charite Medical Faculty Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, Berlin, Germany
J Periodontol 79:979-86. 2008..Further, it is unclear to what extent poor oral hygiene among patients with RA may account for this association...
- Gingival crevicular fluid alkaline phosphatase levels in postmenopausal women: effects of phase I periodontal treatmentOzlem Daltaban
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
J Periodontol 77:67-72. 2006....
- Short-term clinical effects of adjunctive antimicrobial photodynamic therapy in periodontal treatment: a randomized clinical trialAndreas Braun
Department of Periodontology, Operative and Preventive Dentistry, University Dental Clinic Bonn, Welschnonnenstrasse 17, D 53111 Bonn, Germany
J Clin Periodontol 35:877-84. 2008..The aim of this study was to assess the effect of adjunctive antimicrobial photodynamic therapy (aPDT) in chronic periodontitis...
- Full-mouth ultrasonic debridement versus quadrant scaling and root planing as an initial approach in the treatment of chronic periodontitisJan L Wennström
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Odontology, The Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 32:851-9. 2005....
- Effect of pregnancy on gingival inflammation in systemically healthy women: a systematic reviewElena Figuero
Section of Graduate Periodontology, University Complutense, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Periodontol 40:457-73. 2013..To obtain an overall quantitative estimate of the association between pregnancy and gingival inflammation...
- Periodontal debridement with povidone-iodine in periodontal treatment: short-term clinical and biochemical observationsGuilherme M Zanatta
Department of Prosthodontics and Periodontics, Division of Periodontics, School of Dentistry at Piracicaba, University of Campinas, Piracicaba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Periodontol 77:498-505. 2006..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the clinical effects of one-stage periodontal debridement with an ultrasonic instrument, associated with 0.5% povidone (pvp)-iodine irrigation in patients with chronic periodontitis...
- Nine- to fourteen-year follow-up of implant treatment. Part II: presence of peri-implant lesionsAnn Marie Roos-Jansåker
Department of Health Sciences, Kristianstad University, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 33:290-5. 2006..The aim of this study was to analyse the proportions of peri-implant lesions at implants after 9-14 years of function...
- Periodontal disease in HIV-positive individuals: association of periodontal indices with stages of HIV diseaseSotirios A Vastardis
Department of Periodontics, Louisiana State University School of Dentistry, New Orleans, LA 70119 9799, USA
J Periodontol 74:1336-41. 2003....
- Detection of highly and minimally leukotoxic Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans strains in patients with periodontal diseaseSheila Cavalca Cortelli
University of Taubate, Brazil
Pesqui Odontol Bras 17:183-8. 2003..actinomycetemcomitans and aggressive periodontitis (chi2 = 22.06). This study of a Brazilian cohort confirms the strong association between highly leukotoxic A. actinomycetemcomitans strains and the presence of aggressive periodontitis...
- Oral health status and treatment needs in institutionalized psychiatric patients: one year descriptive cross sectional studyManish Kumar
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, College of Dental Sciences, Davangere, Karnataka, India
Indian J Dent Res 17:171-7. 2006..The present study was conducted to assess the oral health status and treatment needs of institutionalized psychiatric patients of Davangere...
- Plasma and crevicular fluid osteopontin levels in periodontal health and diseaseC G Sharma
Department of Periodontics, Government Dental College and Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
J Periodontal Res 42:450-5. 2007....
- Furcation therapy with bioabsorbable collagen membrane: a clinical trialVijay K Pruthi
Department of Dental Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Can Dent Assoc 68:610-5. 2002....
- Periodontal disease status of an indigenous population of Guatemala, Central AmericaS A Dowsett
Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Clin Periodontol 28:663-71. 2001..4 and 28.0 respectively), smoking unusual, and families large and localised to the village. This community thus affords several advantages over populations in developed countries when considering familial studies of adult periodontitis...
- Gingival crevicular fluid calprotectin, osteocalcin and cross-linked N-terminal telopeptid levels in health and different periodontal diseasesSema Becerik
Ege University, School of Dentistry, Department of Periodontology, Izmir, Turkey
Dis Markers 31:343-52. 2011..The aim of the present study was to investigate gingival crevicular fluid (GCF) calprotectin, osteocalcin and cross-linked N-terminal telopeptide (NTx) levels in health along with different periodontal diseases...
- Non-surgical instrumentation associated with povidone-iodine in the treatment of interproximal furcation involvementsErica Del Peloso Ribeiro
Bahiana School of Medicine and Public Health, Salvador, BA, Brazil
J Appl Oral Sci 18:599-606. 2010..The aim of this controlled clinical trial was to evaluate the effect of topically applied povidone-iodine (PVP-I) used as an adjunct to non-surgical treatment of interproximal class II furcation involvements...
- Periodontitis could be related factors on metabolic syndrome among Koreans: a case-control studyDong Hun Han
Department of Preventive and Social Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Periodontol 39:30-7. 2012..Several studies have suggested that metabolic disorders are related to periodontitis. The objective of this study is to assess whether periodontitis is associated with the metabolic syndrome (MetS) among Koreans...
- Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans in Chinese adults. Serotype distribution and analysis of the leukotoxin gene promoter locusA Mombelli
School of Dental Medicine, University of Bern, Switzerland
J Clin Periodontol 26:505-10. 1999....
- Clinical evaluation of the treatment of class II furcation involvements with bioabsorbable barriers alone or associated with demineralized freeze-dried bone allograftsD De Leonardis
Center for Dental Implants, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Miami, School of Medicine, FL, USA
J Periodontol 70:8-12. 1999..The clinical efficacy of demineralized freeze-dried bone allografts (DFDBA) for regenerative procedures is presently under scrutiny...
- Measuring oral health-related quality-of-life using OHQoL-GE in periodontal patients presenting at the University of Berne, SwitzerlandMadeleine Aslund
Department of Periodontology and Fixed Prosthodontics, University of Berne School of Dental Medicine, Berne, Switzerland
Oral Health Prev Dent 6:191-7. 2008....
- Periodontal status, tooth loss and self-reported periodontal problems effects on oral impacts on daily performances, OIDP, in pregnant women in Uganda: a cross-sectional studyMargaret N Wandera
Institute of Clinical Odontology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Bergen, Norway
Health Qual Life Outcomes 7:89. 2009....
- Oral health and cardiovascular disease in SwedenK Buhlin
Karolinska Institutet, Institute of Odontology, Department of Periodontology, Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 29:254-9. 2002..The purpose of the present study was to assess the relation between dental health and cardiovascular disease in an adult Swedish population...
- Association between dental floss use and gingival conditions in orthodontic patientsFabricio Batistin Zanatta
Centro Universitário Franciscano, Santa Maria, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 140:812-21. 2011..Evidence comparing periodontal conditions in orthodontic patients who regularly use or do not use dental floss is scarce...
- Effect of general health and sociocultural variables on periodontal status of pregnant womenFatemeh Sarlati
Department of Periodontics, Dental Centre, Azad University of Iran
J Int Acad Periodontol 6:95-100. 2004....
- Periodontal conditions in subjects following orthodontic therapy. A preliminary studySabrina Carvalho Gomes
Lutheran University of Brazil, Canoas, Brazil
Eur J Orthod 29:477-81. 2007..For the treated group, the canines showed lower CAL values than the first molars. The results indicate that the use of orthodontic appliances is not necessarily related to a worsening of periodontal conditions...
- Validity of the "Community Periodontal Index of Treatment Needs" (CPITN) for population periodontitis screeningDiego Garcia Bassani
Universidade Luterana do Brasil, Rua Prudente de Morais 421, Novo Hamburgo, RS 93520 810, Canoas, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 22:277-83. 2006..32 and 0.29, respectively. Both CPITN versions disagreed significantly with gold standard results (chi-square p < 0.001). As a conclusion, both total and partial CPITN failed to reflect the real periodontal status of the sample...
- Periodontal assessment of patients undergoing angioplasty for treatment of coronary artery diseaseAnca Bazile
Department of Periodontics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 4905, USA
J Periodontol 73:631-6. 2002..The purpose of this cross-sectional study was to assess the periodontal condition of patients with coronary artery disease (CAD) in order to verify the association between CAD and certain periodontal parameters...
- A study on the dental disease of the handicappedNam Ki Choi
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, College of Dentistry, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea
J Dent Child (Chic) 70:153-8. 2003..The handicapped group had a significantly higher percentage of Class II and Class III occlusion than that observed in the comparison group...
- Periodontal status of orthodontic patients and the relationship between dental aesthetic index and community periodontal index of treatment needC O Onyeaso
Department of Preventive Dentistry, College of Medicine University College Hospital, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 124:714-20. 2003..the relationship between dental aesthetic index (DAI) scores and periodontal status according to community periodontal index of treatment needs (CPITN) scores. One hundred forty five patients-70 (48.3%) males and 75 (51...
- Gingival enlargement and resolution during and after orthodontic treatmentEleni Kouraki
Department of Periodontics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
N Y State Dent J 71:34-7. 2005..05). It may be concluded that complete resolution of GE developed during orthodontic treatment is not always attained after removal of the fixed appliances...
- The clinical course of chronic periodontitis: V. Predictive factors in periodontal diseaseMarc Schätzle
Universitiy of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Clin Periodontol 36:365-71. 2009..The factors associated with initial periodontitis are not well understood and cannot be identified by cross-sectional studies...
- Periodontitis prevalence and severity in Indonesians with type 2 diabetesHendri Susanto
Department of Oral Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, Gadjah Mada University, Yogjakarta, Indonesia
J Periodontol 82:550-7. 2011..The present study compares prevalence and severity of periodontitis in patients with DM2 to healthy controls, using different methods to operationalize periodontitis...
- Case definitions for use in population-based surveillance of periodontitisRoy C Page
Regional Clinical Dental Research Center, Schools of Dentistry and Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Periodontol 78:1387-99. 2007....
- Toothbrushing and transient bacteremia in patients undergoing orthodontic treatmentR A Schlein
Howard University, Washington, D C
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 99:466-72. 1991..Both anaerobic and aerobic bacteria were identified from the blood samples. Those patients who were found to have a bacteremia did not display poor oral hygiene...
- Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans in destructive periodontal disease. Three-year follow-up resultsR Buchmann
Department of Periodontology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Munster, Germany
J Periodontol 71:444-53. 2000..The purpose of this longitudinal study was to evaluate A. actinomycetemcomitans as a diagnostic indicator for periodontal disease in treated and periodontally maintained patients...
- Periodontal status as predictor of prematurity and low birth weightIsaac S Gomes-Filho
Department of Periodontics, Feira de Santana State University, Bahia, Brazil
J Public Health Dent 66:295-8. 2006..The objective was to verify the relation between periodontal status and prematurity/low birth weight...
- Relationship between rheumatoid arthritis and periodontitisF B Mercado
Department of Dentistry, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Periodontol 72:779-87. 2001..This association may be a reflection of a common underlying disregulation of the inflammatory response in these individuals...
- Prevalence of aggressive periodontitis in school attendees in UgandaJasim M Albandar
Department of Periodontology, Temple University School of Dentistry, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Clin Periodontol 29:823-31. 2002..The prevalence and severity of early onset periodontitis (EOP) among students attending secondary schools in two regions of Uganda was studied...
- Periodontal diseases in North AmericaJasim M Albandar
Periodontol 2000 29:31-69. 2002
- Oral health status of mentally disabled subjects in IndiaManish Jain
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Darshan Dental College, Udaipur, India
J Oral Sci 51:333-40. 2009..were assessed by DMFT Index, Simplified Oral Hygiene Index (OHI-S) of Greene and Vermillion and Community Periodontal Index, respectively...
- A high molecular mass cranberry constituent reduces mutans streptococci level in saliva and inhibits in vitro adhesion to hydroxyapatiteErvin I Weiss
Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Hebrew University Hadassah, Jerusalem, Israel
FEMS Microbiol Lett 232:89-92. 2004..The data suggest that the ability to reduce mutans streptococci counts in vivo is due to the anti-adhesion activity of the cranberry constituent...
- Oral contraceptives and periodontal diseases: rethinking the association based upon analysis of National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey dataL Susan Taichman
Department of Periodontics, Prevention, and Geriatrics, University of Michigan Dental School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Periodontol 76:1374-85. 2005..S. women, aged 17 to 50 years, before and after the reduction of hormone levels in OCs...
- Dental health in a group of drug addicts in ItalyI F Angelillo
Institute of Hygiene, Medical School, University of Reggio Calabria, Catanzaro, Italy
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 19:36-7. 1991..Mean DMFT and DMFS scores for all age groups were 12.9 and 36.2, respectively; mean Periodontal Index (PI) and mean Simplified Oral Hygiene Index (OHI-S) scores were 1.37 and 1.71, respectively...
- Composition of supra- and subgingival biofilm of subjects with healthy and diseased implantsJamil A Shibli
Department of Periodontology, Dental Research Division, Guarulhos University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clin Oral Implants Res 19:975-82. 2008..The purpose of this study was to compare the microbial composition of supra- and subgingival biofilm in subjects with and without peri-implantitis...
- Five-year incidence of periodontal disease is related to body mass indexI Morita
Department of Preventive Dentistry and Dental Public Health, School of Dentistry, Aichi Gakuin University, 1 100, Kusumoto cho, Chikusa ku, Nagoya, 464 8650, Japan
J Dent Res 90:199-202. 2011..These findings demonstrate a dose-response relationship between BMI and the development of periodontal disease in a population of Japanese individuals...
- The use of PVP-iodine as an adjunct to non-surgical treatment of chronic periodontitisB Rosling
Department of Periodontology, Goteborg University, Gothenburg, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 28:1023-31. 2001....
- On the association between hypercholesterolemia, cardiovascular disease and severe periodontal diseaseJ Katz
Medical Corps, Israel Defense Forces, Jerusalem, Israel
J Clin Periodontol 28:865-8. 2001..The purpose of the present study was to assess the relationship between CHD and periodontal disease...
- The periodontal status of pregnant women and its relationship with socio-demographic and clinical variablesD Q Taani
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Division of Periodontics, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
J Oral Rehabil 30:440-5. 2003..Therefore periodontal preventive programmes are very important for pregnant women...
- Systematic review of implant outcomes in treated periodontitis subjectsConstantine T T Ong
Unit of Periodontology and International Centre for Evidence Based Oral Health, UCL Eastman Dental Institute, London, UK
J Clin Periodontol 35:438-62. 2008..To determine implant outcomes in partially dentate patients who have been treated for periodontitis compared with periodontally healthy patients...
- Comparative analysis of the effect of two chlorhexidine mouthrinses on plaque accumulation and gingival bleedingCarlos Alfredo Franco Neto
Department of Preventive and Social Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Santana Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 22:139-44. 2008..93% +/- 6.68% and 13.95 +/- 9.24% for the 0.12% and 0.2% solutions, respectively. Although an increase in gingival bleeding was observed, both concentrations were able to control dental plaque...
- Radiographic evaluation of periapical status and prevalence of endodontic treatment in an adult Japanese populationMidori Tsuneishi
Department of Oral Health, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 100:631-5. 2005..To determine the prevalence of periapical radiolucencies and endodontic treatment in an adult Japanese population...
- Periodontal inflamed surface area: quantifying inflammatory burdenWillem Nesse
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Centre for Dentistry and Oral Hygiene, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Clin Periodontol 35:668-73. 2008..None of these classifications quantifies the amount of inflamed periodontal tissue, while this information is needed to assess the inflammatory burden posed by periodontitis...
- Greater severity and extent of periodontal breakdown in 136 south Indian human immunodeficiency virus seropositive patients than in normal controls: a comparative study using community periodontal index of treatment needsK Ranganathan
Department of Oral Pathology, Ragas Dental College and Hospital, Chennai, India
Indian J Dent Res 18:55-9. 2007..All surfaces of all teeth were scored for the community periodontal index of treatment needs (CPITN). Statistical analysis was performed using SPSS package...
- Possible periodontal pathogens associated with clinical symptoms of periodontal disease in Japanese high school studentsReiko Suda
Department of Periodontology, Showa University Dental School, Tokyo, Japan
J Periodontol 75:1084-9. 2004..The purpose of this study is to investigate how the components of biofilm and clinical oral status change in adolescents and to identify specific periodontal pathogens as risk markers for the onset of periodontitis...
- Gingivitis as a risk factor in periodontal diseaseNiklaus P Lang
Prince Philip Dental Hospital, Comprehensive Dental Care, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Clin Periodontol 36:3-8. 2009..Dental plaque has been proven to initiate and promote gingival inflammation. Histologically, various stages of gingivitis may be characterized prior to progression of a lesion to periodontitis. Clinically, gingivitis is well recognized...
- Further evidence of the association between periodontal conditions and coronary artery diseaseSabine O Geerts
Department of Periodontology Dental Surgery, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
J Periodontol 75:1274-80. 2004..The present study was intended to test for a possible association between presence and severity of periodontitis and coronary artery disease in a Belgian population...
- Age, dental infections, and coronary heart diseaseK J Mattila
Dept of Medicine, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
J Dent Res 79:756-60. 2000..Thus, the role of dental infections as a coronary risk factor varies according to the characteristics of the population studied...
- The effect of improved periodontal health on metabolic control in type 2 diabetes mellitusMine Kiran
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
J Clin Periodontol 32:266-72. 2005..The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of improved periodontal health on metabolic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM) patients...
- Presence and absence of bleeding in association with calculus in segments given Code 2 in the Community Periodontal Index of Treatment Needs (CPITN)Y Takahashi
Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Tokyo Dental College, Chiba, Japan
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 16:109-11. 1988....
- Validity of CPITN's hierarchical scoring method for describing the prevalence of periodontal conditionsJ Grytten
Institute of Community Dentistry, University of Oslo, Norway
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 17:300-3. 1989..Most overestimation of calculus occurred on molar teeth with pockets 3.5-5.5 mm and for individuals 13-14 yr of age. There was almost no overestimation of calculus for those aged 65 yr and above.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Evaluation of simple periodontal screening technique currently used in the UK armed forcesK A Eaton
RAF Halton, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 17:190-5. 1989..UK Armed Forces has led to the development and introduction of a simple periodontal screening technique, the Periodontal Index for Treatment (PIT), based upon the clinical assessment of six teeth (all first molars and the maxillary ..
- Clinical assessment of periodontitis in young adults--evaluation of probing depth and partial recording methodsD M Agerholm
King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, United Kingdom
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 24:56-61. 1996....
- Periodontal microbiota and clinical periodontal status in a rural sample in southern ThailandP N Papapanou
Columbia University School of Dental and Oral Surgery, NY, USA
Eur J Oral Sci 110:345-52. 2002....
- Porphyromonas gingivalis, Bacteroides forsythus and other putative periodontal pathogens in subjects with and without periodontal destructionA J van Winkelhoff
Department of Dental Basic Sciences, Section Oral Microbiology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Periodontol 29:1023-8. 2002..The aim of the present study was to compare prevalence and proportions of a number of periodontal bacteria in periodontitis patients and control subjects...
- Bleeding on probing differentially relates to bacterial profiles: the Oral Infections and Vascular Disease Epidemiology StudyRyan T Demmer
Department of Epidemiology, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Clin Periodontol 35:479-86. 2008..Various bacterial species are differentially prevalent in periodontal health, gingivitis or periodontitis. We tested the independent associations between three bacterial groupings and gingival inflammation in an epidemiological study...
- Untreated periodontal disease in Indonesian adolescents. Longitudinal clinical data and prospective clinical and microbiological risk assessmentM F Timmerman
Department of Periodontology, Academic Centre for Dentistry, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Periodontol 27:932-42. 2000..Furthermore, the relationship between progression of the disease and baseline clinical and microbiological data was assessed...
- Profile of subgingival microbiota in children with primary dentitionJ J Kamma
Department of Periodontology, School of Dental Medicine, University of Athens, Greece
J Periodontal Res 35:33-41. 2000..micros, Pseudoramibacter alactolyticus, Eikenella corrodens and F. nucleatum were associated with non-bleeding sites while S. intermedius, C. concisus, P. intermedia and P. loescheii were found more frequently in bleeding sites...
- Cigarette smoking, salivary/gingival crevicular fluid cotinine and periodontal status. A 10-year longitudinal studyX Chen
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, Minneapolis 55455, USA
J Clin Periodontol 28:331-9. 2001..05). CONCLUSION: Neither salivary cotinine nor GCF cotinine was significantly correlated with probing depth, attachment loss and tooth loss (p > 0.05)...
- Distribution of 10 periodontal bacterial species in children and adolescents over a 7-year periodK Nakano
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, Osaka, Japan
Oral Dis 14:658-64. 2008..The purpose of this study was to compare bacterial profiles in the same individuals over a period of 7 years...
- Periodontal treatment needs in Central and Eastern EuropeI Gera
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Int Acad Periodontol 2:120-8. 2000....
- Methodological aspects of epidemiological studies of periodontal diseasesAlbert Kingman
Periodontol 2000 29:11-30. 2002
- The influence of partial and full-mouth recordings on estimates of prevalence and extent of lifetime cumulative attachment loss: a study in a population of young male military recruitsK A Eaton
Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London, USA
J Periodontol 72:140-5. 2001..Two sets of index teeth were chosen to compare with full mouth recordings, Ramfjord index teeth and the Periodontal Index for Treatment (PIT) teeth...
- Clinical Registry of Dental Outcomes in Head and Neck Cancer PatientsRajesh V Lalla; Fiscal Year: 2013..risk factors for tooth loss by examining associations between oral health status variables (for example: periodontal index) prior to RT and subsequent tooth loss. 2...
- Guided Pocket Recolonization (GPR) in PeriodontitisMarc Quirynen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Clinical data will be collected after 2, 4, 6, 8 and 12 weeks. The results should indicate the possible role for commensal organisms in periodontal disease and subgingival biofilm formation. ..
- SYSTEMIC EFFECTS OF PERIODONTITISJames Beck; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- INITIAL LESION OF ADULT PERIODONTITISAnne Tanner; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- MICROBIAL ASSOCIATIONS IN PERIODONTAL HEALTH AND DISEASEAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will provide a basis for understanding microbial community structure, ecological relationships and define desired microbiological end-point of therapy. ..
- Periodontal microbiota, serum Antibody response & T1DMEvanthia Lalla; Fiscal Year: 2002..Theses studies will markedly enhance our understanding of the oral microbiology and immunology in type 1 diabetes. ..
- EFFECT OF ANTIBIOTICS ON ORAL BIOFILMS IN VIVOAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Periodontitis, Atherosclerosis and the Host ResponseEvanthia Lalla; Fiscal Year: 2007..We propose to employ this model to dissect the factors accelerating vascular inflammation and atherosclerosis in periodontitis. ..
- A comprehensive smoking index to model smoking historyThomas Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 2006..Significance: The CSI may be an efficient way to capture different characteristics of smoking in a single variable to model smoking history in epidemiologic models of chronic disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Three Periodontal Therapies in Current & Non-SmokersAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed investigation should provide a model to examine methods that could be useful in treating compromised patients whether compromised by harmful habits such as smoking, systemic disease, or genetic background. ..
- Identification of Uncultivated and Unrecognized Pathogens of PeriodontitisANNE DENISE HAFFAJEE; Fiscal Year: 2010..The identification of such pathogens should, over time, lead to better diagnosis of disease, optimal treatment strategies for the individual patient, new therapeutic approaches and carefully targeted approaches to prevention. ..
- New Pathogens for Childhood CariesAnne Tanner; Fiscal Year: 2008..As a result, it is expected that many of the negative consequences of this disease will be avoided, with attendant reductions in the costs of dental and related medical care. ..
- Gene Expression in Chronic and Aggressive PeriodontitisPanos Papapanou; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, a pathobiology-based classification of periodontitis will facilitate correct diagnosis and targeted, efficient therapeutic prevention and intervention strategies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Periodontal Inflammation in Type 1 DiabetesThomas Van Dyke; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- The Effectiveness of Treatment for Adult PeriodontitisPhilippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information can help determine in what area of periodontal research definitive clinical trials may offer the greatest contribution. ..
- Development of QLF Handpiece for Early Caries DetectionGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Social Inequalities in Periodontal DiseasesLuisa Borrell; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diabetes and Periodontics Trial R21STEVEN ENGEBRETSON; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oral Health Disparities: Actions Taken About PainJoseph Riley; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information has important health policy implications for reducing the race and ethnic disparities in oral health through interventions that facilitate access to care and utilization of appropriate services. ..
- Optically enhanced dental sealants to indicate placement and material conditionGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] 3) An optically doped sealant combines the efficacy advantages of a clear sealant with the visibility advantages of an opaque sealant. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Enhancement of informed consent in dental clinical trialJ Goodson; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Impact of IL-8 Bound to the Anti-IL-8 AutoantibodyAnna Kurdowska; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Periodontal Therapy: Effects on Glycemic Control in Community Health CentersGeorge Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ORAL CONDITIONS AND SYSTEMIC HEALTH OUTCOMESRaul Garcia; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Gene Mapping of Susceptibility to PeriodontitisScott Diehl; Fiscal Year: 2008..by analyzing environmental risk factors in all samples and antibody responses to periodontal pathogens in the NHANES sample. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diabetes: Implant Integration, Success, and BenefitThomas W Oates; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ultimately, this information will contribute to the establishment of evidence-based guidelines for the assessment and application of dental implant therapy for patients with diabetes. ..
- Vitamin D status and risk of tooth lossELIZABETH KAYE; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Unified Surgical Instrument System for Periodontal Minimally Invasive SurgerySTEPHEN HARREL; Fiscal Year: 2007..The resulting system, based on the surgical consultants evaluations and scores, will be used in a Phase 2 multicenter controlled clinical evaluation of MIS. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Opportunistic Oral HSV-- Mechanisms of ReactivationCraig Miller; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Periodontal Disease and the Incidence of Oral CancerMine Tezal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Prevention of oral cancer could begin with prevention and early treatment of periodontitis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Increasing HCV Knowledge & Service Use in Drug Tx PgmsShiela Strauss; Fiscal Year: 2007..In its manualized form, successful elements of the training will be disseminated to programs nationwide ..
- New Phosphated Polymers Prevent Microbial ColonizationAndrew Dentino; Fiscal Year: 2009..The use of these new polymers could improve the oral health of a significant population of prosthesis users. The phosphated PMMA polymers could have great potential for clinical and commercial applications. ..
- PERIODONTAL INFECTION AND RISK FOR MYOCARDIAL INFARCTIONRobert Genco; Fiscal Year: 2001..Therefore, understanding the association between these two diseases is of significant importance, both to individuals and for public health measures directed to reducing their morbidity and mortality. ..
- MONOCYTE TISSUE FACTOR EXPRESSION IN DIABETES MELLITUSJAMES KATANCIK; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Conference: Elders' Oral Health SummitJudith Jones; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- PATIENT ORIENTED RESEARCH--ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERTHOMAS DODSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..This award leverages the PI's skills and talents by providing protected time to mentor additional trainees and to conduct high quality patient-oriented research. ..
- Blueprints for Transforming Research at UIC College of DentistryChristine Wu; Fiscal Year: 2003..With the systematic infrastructure improvement initiative, and through integration of interdisciplinary research and creation of critical mass, UIC COD will play a leading role in US academic dentistry. ..
- Dendritic Cells in Periodontal Health and DiseaseRichard Oringer; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- SEVERE PERIODONTITIS AS A RHEOLOGIC MODIFIERSTEVEN ENGEBRETSON; Fiscal Year: 2003..Dr. Engebretson will receive training in research methodology and molecular biology in order to explore the mechanisms of periodontal medicine through the conduct of human clinical studies as a career goal. ..
- Microbiology/Immunology of Periodontal Disease in T1DMPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2002..An integrated multidisciplinary effort provides significant data collection capabilities essential for understanding the complex multifactorial etiology of periodontal disease in Type 1 diabetes. ..
- Interleukin-1 and Periodontitis in Down's SyndromeAhmed Khocht; Fiscal Year: 2005..This model of the mechanisms accounting for the severity of periodontitis will be compared to that found in the non-Down's sample. ..
- FUNCTION OF B-DEFENSINS IN COMMON ORAL INFECTIONSJanet Guthmiller; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Clinical Models Workshop:Remin-Demin, Precavity, CariesGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2005..The meeting will be held on July 3-5, 2005 in the Downtown Marriott Hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana, immediately prior to the annual ORCA (European Organization for Caries Research) meeting. ..
- Planning Grant for Xylitol Trial in Caries-Active AdultsJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Caries Risk Assessment Instrument for Young AdultsGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2005..Future large-scale investigations will be undertaken to validate the merits of the instrument. ..
- Diabetes Associations with Caries and Tooth LossGeorge Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results may also impact on existing clinical practice protocols, and promote new public policy in matters related to diabetes. ..
- TRADITIONAL & MEDICAL MODELS OF PERIODONTAL CARERichard Niederman; Fiscal Year: 2005..These points argue for a direct comparison of the medical and traditional model of care. ..
- TREATING PERIODONTAL INFECTION: GLYCEMIC CONTROLGeorge Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- GOLDENSEAL(HYDRASTIS CANADENSIS)REMEDY FOR ORAL DISEASESChristine Wu; Fiscal Year: 2002..This application of CAM research will help to achieve better oral health and oral disease prevention, one of the to priority areas of focus specified b the U.S. Public Health Service in "Health People 2000." ..
- ORAL HEALTH OF OLDER TYPE 1 DIABETIC PATIENTSPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2003..This overall plan will permit us to understand the etiology of these complications and to define specific subpopulations and risk factors appropriate for future prospective oral health prevention and intervention trials. ..
- Attachment of Oral Actinobacillus to EpitheliumDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2008..The longterm goal of this application is to use this information to identify targets for therapeutic agents that can interfere with attachment of Aa to oral tissues and thus prevent colonization leading to LAP. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oral Immunology/Microbiology Annual MeetingDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2003..Perpetuation of the OIMRG and its annual meetings greatly enhances the spirit of collegial interaction/collaboration among investigators with expertise in immunology and microbial pathogenesis as related to oral health and disease. ..
- Relationship between Periodontal Disease and Gestational Diabetes MellitusXu Xiong; Fiscal Year: 2008..Improving oral health and treating periodontal disease before and during pregnancy may reduce maternal and perinatal morbidity associated with GDM and prevent type 2 diabetes after pregnancy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Microbial Markers for Periodontal Disease in ChildrenDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Oral Immunology/Microbiology Research Group Annual MtgDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2003..Perpetuation of the OIMRG and its annual meetings greatly enhances the spirit of collegial interaction/collaboration among investigators with expertise in immunology and microbial pathogenesis as related to oral health and disease. ..
- Understanding Barriers to Oral Health Care In Pregnancy: The First Step to ImprovKim Boggess; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EFFECT OF CHRONIC INFECTION ON PLACENTAL DEVELOPMENTKim Boggess; Fiscal Year: 2005..Understanding of these mechanisms may assist in the development of interventions to protect the fetus and placenta from damage as a result of chronic maternal infection with oral pathogens. ..
- Sensory Re-training following Orthognathic SurgeryCeib Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our primary focus will be on the patient's perception of the negative impact of altered sensation on daily life. ..
- Aging: Effects on Infection, Inflammation and DiseaseMichael Novak; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long-term implications are that diet control may be considered as an effective public healthcare measure for improving the oral and general health and welfare of the population as a whole. ..
- Quantification of Host Markers in GCF Using CBIBRicardo Teles; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, this methodology is at the forefront of new approaches in proteomics, and carries enormous promise for translational applications in the near future. [unreadable] [unreadable]..