- Controlled hypotension for spinal surgery
Richard P Dutton
Division of Trauma Anesthesiology, R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, University of Maryland Medical System, 22 South Greene St, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Eur Spine J 13:S66-71. 2004
..Safe application of this technique requires knowledge of the physiology of hemorrhagic shock and close intraoperative monitoring to avoid vasoconstriction and end-organ ischemia...
- Controlled hypotension in children: a critical review of available agents
Joseph D Tobias
The Department of Child Health, Division of Pediatric Critical Care Pediatric Anesthesiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
Paediatr Drugs 4:439-53. 2002
..b>Controlled hypotension (also referred to as deliberate or induced hypotension), defined as a reduction of systolic blood pressure ..
- Nicardipine versus nitroprusside for deliberate hypotension during idiopathic scoliosis repair
Stewart J Lustik
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Clin Anesth 16:25-33. 2004
..To compare coagulation, blood loss, and transfusion requirements between patients receiving nicardipine and nitroprusside for deliberate hypotension during idiopathic scoliosis repair...
- Old method, new drugs: comparison of the efficacy of sevoflurane, isoflurane, and desflurane in achieving controlled hypotension in spinal surgery
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Department of Neurosurgery, Ege University Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Adv Ther 22:234-40. 2005
..and desflurane in achieving hemodynamic stability in spinal procedures using moderate levels of controlled hypotension. After obtaining ethics committee approval and written informed consent, 32 American Surgical Association ..
- [Modern anesthesiologic concepts supporting paranasal sinus surgery]
, Intensiv- und Notfallmedizin, Klinikum Fulda gAG, , Pacelliallee, Fulda
Laryngorhinootologie 85:20-3. 2006
..CONCLUSION: For general anaesthesia in endonasal sinus surgery Sodium Nitroprusside is no longer recommended. Instead a TIVA using Propofol and Remifentanil should be used...
- Autoregulation of human inner ear blood flow during middle ear surgery with propofol or isoflurane anesthesia during controlled hypotension
M P Preckel
Service d Anesthesie Reanimation, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Angers, France
Anesth Analg 87:1002-8. 1998
We used controlled hypotension to obtain a bloodless cavity during middle ear surgery under an optical microscope...
- Moderate controlled hypotension with sodium nitroprusside does not improve surgical conditions or decrease blood loss in endoscopic sinus surgery
K E Jacobi
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
J Clin Anesth 12:202-7. 2000
STUDY OBJECTIVES To determine if moderate controlled hypotension can improve the dryness of the surgical field in endoscopic sinus surgery.
- Remifentanil and controlled hypotension; comparison with nitroprusside or esmolol during tympanoplasty
C S Degoute
Department of Anesthesiology, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Lyon Sud, France
Can J Anaesth 48:20-7. 2001
To determine whether remifentanil, combined with propofol, could induce controlled hypotension, reduce middle ear blood flow (MEBF) measured by laser-Doppler flowmetry, provide a "dry" operative field, and could be compared with ..
- Influence of controlled hypotension using esmolol and sodium nitroprusside on natriuretic peptides in patients undergoing endonasal sinus surgery
A M Mengistu
Klinikum Ludwigshafen, Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Bremserstrasse 79, D 67063 Ludwigshafen, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:529-34. 2007
..The study was designed to assess serum concentration of atrial and brain natriuretic peptide in patients undergoing endonasal sinus surgery receiving controlled hypotension.
- Remifentanil induces consistent and sustained controlled hypotension in children during middle ear surgery
Christian S Degoute
Department of Anesthesiology, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Lyon Sud, France
Can J Anaesth 50:270-6. 2003
To determine in children whether remifentanil combined with sevoflurane, could induce controlled hypotension, reduce middle ear blood flow (MEBF) measured by laser-Doppler, and provide a satisfactory operative field.
- Clonidine facilitates controlled hypotension in adolescent children
Department of Paediatric Anaesthesia, IWK Health Centre, Box 3070, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3J 3G9
Anesth Analg 96:976-81, table of contents. 2003
..whether clonidine lessened the requirements for isoflurane, fentanyl, and labetalol to provide controlled hypotension in children who underwent oromaxillofacial surgery...
- Controlled hypotension: a guide to drug choice
Christian Serge Degoute
Service d Anesthesie Reanimation, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Lyon Sud, Pierre Benite, France
Drugs 67:1053-76. 2007
For half a century, controlled hypotension has been used to reduce bleeding and the need for blood transfusions, and provide a satisfactory bloodless surgical field...
- Brain damage following severe acute normovolemic hemodilution in combination with controlled hypotension in rats
Y L Ge
Department of Anesthesiology, Subei People s Hospital, Xuzhou Medical College, Xuzhou, China
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 51:1331-7. 2007
The reduced oxygen content and perfusion pressure during acute normovolemic hemodilution (ANH) and controlled hypotension (CH) raise concerns about hypoperfusion and ischemic injury to the brain...
- Controlled hypotension and minimal inflation pressure: a new approach for pneumatic tourniquet application in upper limb surgery
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Anesth Analg 97:1529-32. 2003
..We applied controlled hypotension and a minimal inflation pressure (CHAMIP) technique to provide a bloodless surgical field...
- Accuracy of radial arterial pressure measurement during surgery under controlled hypotension
Anesthesia and Intensive Care Department, Hotel-Dieu de France Hospital, Saint-Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 46:173-5. 2002
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the accuracy of radial pressure monitoring during controlled hypotension achieved with profound arterial vasodilation...
- Clinical trial of nitroglycerin-induced controlled hypotension with or without acupoint electrical stimulation in microscopic middle ear surgery under general anesthesia with halothane
Department of Anesthesia, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 43:135-9. 2005
..This study was designed to investigate the combined effect of acupoint ES and different infusion rates of nitroglycerin on controlled hypotension.
- Sensorimotor anesthesia and hypotension after subarachnoid block: combined spinal-epidural versus single-shot spinal technique
Raymond Wee Lip Goy
Department of Anesthesia, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, Singapore
Anesth Analg 98:491-6, table of contents. 2004
..There is also a more frequent incidence of hypotension and vasoconstrictor use despite using identical doses and baricity of local anesthetic...
- [Hypotensive epidural anesthesia in thoracic surgery]
Institute of Oncology, Vilnius University, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 40:1189-96. 2004
..This study evaluated effectiveness of hypotensive epidural anesthesia in decreasing blood loss, operation and extubation time, opiates use and stay in intensive care unit...
- Hypotensive anesthesia in the management of a posterior suprachoroidal foreign body
Department of Ophthalmology, Selayang Hospital, Selangor, Malaysia
Retina 25:87-9. 2005
- Low-dose remifentanil infusions for major spinal surgery
Anaesthesia 57:724-5. 2002
- [Effects of esmolol- and sodium nitroprusside-induced controlled hypotension on hepatocellular integrity in patients undergoing endonasal sinus surgery]
S N Piper
Klinik fur Anaesthesiologie und operative Intensivmedizin, Klinikum Ludwigshafen, Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 38:781-6. 2003
b>Controlled hypotension (CH) is an established method to reduce intraoperative bleeding. The aim of the study was to investigate the influence of CH induced by sodium nitroprusside (SN) or esmolol on hepatocellular integrity.
- Human middle cerebral artery flow velocity during controlled hypotension combined with hemodilution-transcranial Doppler study
Department of Anesthesia, Nagasaki Rosai Hospital, Sasebo 857 0134, Japan
J Clin Anesth 17:177-81. 2005
To evaluate the effects of controlled hypotension combined with hemodilution on human middle cerebral artery flow velocity (Vmca) by transcranial Doppler ultrasonography.
- The influence of hyperoxic ventilation during sodium nitroprusside-induced hypotension on skeletal muscle tissue oxygen tension
Stefan W Suttner
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Klinikum der Stadt Ludwigshafen, Ludwigshafen, Germany
Anesthesiology 96:1103-8. 2002
..might provide a simple and effective intervention to increase oxygen tension in tissues during controlled hypotension. To test this hypothesis, the influence of hyperoxic ventilation (100% O2) on skeletal muscle oxygen ..
- [Induced hypotension for endoscopic sinus surgery]
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi 329-0498
Masui 51:1100-3. 2002
..In Group H, sodium nitroprusside was infused to maintain controlled hypotension with MAP around 60 mmHg...
- Clinical trial of esmolol-induced controlled hypotension with or without acute normovolemic hemodilution in spinal surgery
Y J Lim
Department of Anesthesiology and Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Korea
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 47:74-8. 2003
BACKGROUND: Drug-induced controlled hypotension (CH) combined with acute normovolemic hemodilution (ANH) is being widely used for blood conservation in surgical patients...
- [Effect of prostaglandin E1 infusion during and after total hip arthroplasty under hypotensive anesthesia on postoperative renal function and urine volume]
Department of Anesthesia, Yamanashi Red Cross Hospital, Yamanashi 401-0301
Masui 52:616-20. 2003
..CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest that PGE1 may prevent postoperative decrease of urine volume, but it may not affect postoperative renal function...
- Effects of isoflurane-induced and prostaglandin E(1)-induced hypotension on cytokine responses to oral and maxillofacial surgery
Department of Dental Anesthesiology, Okayama University Hospital, Okayama, Japan
J Clin Anesth 16:168-72. 2004
..To evaluate the effect of induced hypotension with isoflurane or prostaglandin E(1) (PGE(1)) on cytokine responses to surgery...
- Strategies for minimizing blood loss in orthopedic surgery
Joseph D Tobias
Department of Child Health, Division of Pediatric Critical Care, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, 65212, USA
Semin Hematol 41:145-56. 2004
..intraoperative and postoperative blood salvage, pharmacologic manipulation of the coagulation cascade, and controlled hypotension. Undoubtedly, many of these techniques are effective alone; however, the goal of performing major ..
- [Bleeding control in sinonasal microsurgery]
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Shanghai Fourth People s Hospital, Shanghai 200081, China
Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 37:130-2. 2002
..To explore the results of bleeding control in sinonasal surgery...
- Application of controlled arterial hypotension in endoscopic rhinosurgery
Vilnius Missionary Hospital, Subaciaus 26, 2600 Vilnius, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 39:852-9. 2003
..Fifty-two patients of physical health state 1-2 according to ASA were examined: for 32 the controlled hypotension (Group H) was applied, 20 patients underwent operations in normotension (Group N)...
- Comparison of hypotensive epidural anesthesia and hypotensive total intravenous anesthesia on intraoperative blood loss during total hip replacement
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Karadeniz Technical University, 61080 Trabzon, Turkey
J Clin Anesth 17:420-5. 2005
..To compare hypotensive epidural anesthesia (HEA) and hypotensive total intravenous anesthesia (HTIVA) with propofol and remifentanil on blood loss during primary total hip replacement...
- Severe hypotension is not essential for isoflurane neuroprotection against forebrain ischemia in mice
H Mayumi Homi
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Anesthesiology 99:1145-51. 2003
..This indicates that beneficial effects of isoflurane are most likely attributable to direct effects at the neuronal level as opposed to indirect effects resulting from interactions with profound hypotension...
- Differential pressor response to intravenous ephedrine during recovery from deliberate hypotension
Department of Anesthesiology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Clin Anesth 16:266-70. 2004
..To determine whether nitroglycerin or trimethaphan alters pressor response to intravenous (i.v.) ephedrine...
- Cerebral effects and blood sparing efficiency of sodium nitroprusside-induced hypotension alone and in combination with acute normovolaemic haemodilution
S W Suttner
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Klinikum der Stadt Ludwigshafen, , Germany
Br J Anaesth 87:699-705. 2001
..capacity and perfusion pressure during the combination of acute normovolaemic haemodilution (ANH) and controlled hypotension (CH) raises concerns of hypoperfusion and ischaemic injury to the brain...
- Strategies for minimizing the use of allogeneic blood during orthopedic surgery
Meg A Rosenblatt
Division of Orthopedic Anesthesiology, Box 1010, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One East 100th Street, New York, NY 10029, USA
Mt Sinai J Med 69:83-7. 2002
..This paper will review the current status of these therapies in the orthopedic surgical patient...
- Blood conservation in spinal surgery. Review of current techniques
D E Tate
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:1450-6. 1992
..In the absence of tumor, systemic infection, or gross wound contamination, these modalities should be considered when a spinal procedure is planned in which homologous blood may be required...
- Dose effect of sevoflurane and isoflurane anesthetics on cortical blood flow during controlled hypotension in the pig
Departments of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Faculty of Health Sciences, University Hospital, S 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 51:607-13. 2007
..The aim was to examine the effects of isoflurane and sevoflurane at increasing minimum alveolar concentrations (MAC) on CBF, during controlled hypotension.
- Effect of patient position and hypotensive anesthesia on inferior vena caval pressure
T C Lee
Department of Neurosurgery, Chang Gung Medical College, Taiwan, Republic of China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:941-7; discussion 947-8. 1998
..This is a prospective study to measure the inferior vena caval pressure of 20 patients in different positions and different states of blood pressure...
- Effect of hypotensive anesthesia on cognitive functions. A comparison of esmolol and remifentanil during tympanoplasty
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Hacettepe University, School of Medicine, Sihhiye, 06100, Ankara, Turkey
Saudi Med J 28:1357-61. 2007
..To compare the effects of esmolol and remifentanil, used as adjuncts for induced hypotension on surgical conditions and short-term cognitive functions, during tympanoplasty...
- Rapid pacing for better placing: comparison of techniques for precise deployment of endografts in the thoracic aorta
Christoph A Nienaber
Division of Cardiology, University Hospital Rostock, Rostock School of Medicine, Germany
J Endovasc Ther 14:506-12. 2007
..To investigate the safety, efficacy, impact on positioning, and neurocognitive outcomes of 3 conceptually different methods of avoiding the "windsock" effect during thoracic stent-graft placement...
- Comparison between dexmedetomidine and remifentanil for controlled hypotension during tympanoplasty
Saint Joseph University, Hotel Dieu de France Hospital, Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Beirut, Lebanon
Eur J Anaesthesiol 25:369-74. 2008
b>Controlled hypotension is frequently used for obtaining better exposure during tympanoplasty...
- Hypotensive anesthesia for scoliosis surgery in Jehovah's Witnesses
J W Brodsky
University of Texas Health Science Center, Dallas
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 16:304-6. 1991
..The authors conclude that spinal surgery is possible in Jehovah's Witnesses without transfusion and that operative technique is the single most important determinant of blood loss...
- Nitroglycerin- and nicardipine-induced hypotension does not affect cerebral oxygen saturation and postoperative cognitive function in patients undergoing orthognathic surgery
Seung Ho Choi
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine and Anesthesia and Pain Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:2104-9. 2008
..The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of nitroglycerin- and nicardipine-induced hypotension on regional cerebral oxygen saturation (rSO(2)) and postoperative cognitive function in patients undergoing orthognathic surgery...
- Induced hypotension in orthognathic surgery: a comparative study of 2 pharmacological protocols
Gustavo Jacobucci Farah
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Piracicaba Dental School, State University of Campinas, Piracicaba, Brazil
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:2261-9. 2008
- [Acute normovolemic hemodilution combined with controlled hypotension in patients undergoing liver tumorectomy]
Department of Anesthesiology, Guangzhou Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Guangzhou 510130, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 26:828-30. 2006
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effects of acute normovolemic hemodilution (ANH) combined with controlled hypotension on reducing heterogeneous transfusion and safety during liver tumorectomy...
- Magnesium sulphate as a technique of hypotensive anaesthesia
N M Elsharnouby
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Br J Anaesth 96:727-31. 2006
..This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was designed to assess the effect of perioperatively administered i.v. magnesium sulphate as a technique of hypotensive anaesthesia...
- Cerebral oxygenation monitoring using near infrared spectroscopy during controlled hypotension
School of Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 15:504-8. 2005
BACKGROUND: Controlled hypotension (CH) is used to limit intraoperative blood loss and decrease the need for homologous transfusions...
- The influence of nicardipine-, nitroglycerin-, and prostaglandin E(1)-induced hypotension on cerebral pressure autoregulation in adult patients during propofol-fentanyl anesthesia
Department of Emergency and Critical Medicine, Niigata University Faculty of Medicine, Niigata, Japan
Anesth Analg 94:169-73, table of contents. 2002
..37 +/- 0.08 versus 0.83 +/- 0.07, P < 0.01). In conclusion, nicardipine, but not nitroglycerin or prostaglandin E(1), significantly attenuates cerebral pressure autoregulation during propofol-fentanyl anesthesia...
- Renal effects of hypotensive anaesthesia in combination with acute normovolaemic haemodilution with hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4 or isotonic saline
Department of Anaesthesiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:969-74. 2005
..A colloid-based fluid regime (HES 130/0.4) used for haemodilution may preserve renal function to a greater extent than a crystalloid-based regime (0.9% saline)...
- Acute normovolemic hemodilution combined with hypotensive anesthesia and other techniques to avoid homologous transfusion in spinal fusion surgery
S R Hur
Department of Anesthesiology, St Michael Hospital, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:867-73. 1992
..The average hemoglobin on the seventh postoperative day was similar in both groups; 11.5 g/dl in the current series compared to 11.1 g/dl in the 1982 series...
- Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Madras, India
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:138-40. 2001
..05). CONCLUSION: There was pronounced reduction in blood loss during orthognathic operations done under hypotensive anaesthesia compared with those done under normotensive anaesthesia...
- Effect of isoflurane versus nicardipine on blood flow of lumbar paraspinal muscles during controlled hypotension for spinal surgery
T C Lee
Department of Neurosurgery, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:105-9; discussion 109. 2001
..SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: Despite the general acceptance of controlled hypotension as effective in reducing blood loss during spinal surgery, the changes of blood flow that occur at the ..
- The relationship between end tidal carbon dioxide and arterial carbon dioxide during controlled hypotensive anaesthesia
Syed Shujat Ali
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Al Sabah Hospital, PO Box 4078, Safat 13041, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 11:35-7. 2002
- Effects of dexmedetomidine on propofol and remifentanil infusion rates during total intravenous anesthesia for spine surgery in adolescents
Nkanyezi E Ngwenyama
University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 18:1190-5. 2008
..The current study investigated the propofol-sparing effects of the concomitant administration of the alpha(2)-adrenergic agonist, dexmedetomidine, during spinal fusion surgery in adolescents...
- Ultrastructural changes, nuclear factor-kappaB activation, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha expression in brain after acute normovolemic hemodilution and controlled hypotension in rats
1Department of Anesthesiology, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Croat Med J 49:22-31. 2008
To examine brain damage following different degrees of acute normovolemic hemodilution combined with controlled hypotension (ANH-CH) by neuronal morphological analysis and investigate the expression of nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-kappaB) ..
- The potential for prazosin and calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) in causing hypoxia in tumours
I A Burney
Medical Research Council, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Br J Cancer 64:683-8. 1991
..CGRP may be the more suitable for clinical use because of its short half life, its capability to achieve controlled hypotension and the relatively few side effects associated with its use.
- Additive effects of dihydralazine during enflurane or isoflurane hypotensive anaesthesia for spinal fusion
Département d Anesthésiologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Nantes, France
Can J Anaesth 35:242-8. 1988
Sixteen patients (13-38 yr) undergoing spinal fusion for scoliosis under controlled hypotension were studied to determine the haemodynamic and neuroendocrine responses to IV dihydralazine (1.0 mg.kg-1) followed by 0...
- Cochlear blood flow modifications induced by anaesthetic drugs in middle ear surgery: comparison between sevoflurane and propofol
Department of Clinical Physiopathology, II Chair of ENT, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Acta Otolaryngol 123:812-6. 2003
Because it is necessary to maintain controlled hypotension during middle ear surgery in order to avoid bleeding and as it is known that cochlear blood flow (CBF) is related to blood pressure (BP), it is useful to evaluate CBF ..
- A comparison of radial artery blood pressure determination between the Vasotrac device and invasive arterial blood pressure monitoring in adolescents undergoing scoliosis surgery
Mary E McCann
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, USA
Anesth Analg 101:978-85, table of contents. 2005
..in anesthetized adolescent children undergoing scoliosis surgery in the prone position, with or without controlled hypotension. Eleven children undergoing surgery for idiopathic scoliosis were enrolled in this study...
- The influence of controlled hypotension on splanchnic mucosal perfusion using gastric tonometry in patients undergoing resection of meningioma
Department of Emergency and Disaster Medicine, Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
Med Sci Monit 8:CR28-30. 2002
..The aim of our research was to evaluate the influence of general anesthesia with controlled nitroglycerin-induced hypotension on splanchnic mucosal perfusion using gastric tonometry...
- [Measures for allogeneic blood conservation in surgery]
B Mansouri Taleghani
Abteilung für Transfusionsmedizin und Immunhämatologie, Universitat Wurzburg
Zentralbl Chir 125:111-22. 2000
..and postoperative blood salvage Topical or systemic pharmacologic interventions to accelerate haemostasis Controlled hypotension Efficacy and indication of the different measures always depend on the individual circumstances of the ..
- Preliminary experience with clevidipine in the pediatric population
Department of Pediatrics, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, USA
J Intensive Care Med 25:349-52. 2010
..for the use of clevidipine included control of perioperative hypertension in 4 patients, to provide controlled hypotension during orthopedic surgical procedures in 5 patients, and to improve distal perfusion during a toe-to-..
- Use of remifentanil and propofol without muscle relaxant combined with intrathecal morphine in children with Duchenne's muscular dystrophy undergoing spinal surgery
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Hotel Dieu de France Hospital, Saint Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon
J Med Liban 56:181-4. 2008
..The intraoperative course of these patients was uneventful. Controlled hypotension, rapid recovery and uneventful postoperative period were achieved with this technique...
- [Effect of combination therapy with hypothermia, magnesium and tirilazad in an experimental model of diffuse cerebral ischemia]
Unidad de Cuidados Intensivos, Hospital Nuestra Señora del Prado, Talavera de la Reina, Toledo, Espana
Med Intensiva 31:113-9. 2007
..Cerebral ischemia is one of the problems of great interest at present, with limited therapeutic measures. Hypothermia, one of the more efficient measures, together with neuroprotector pharmaceuticals, could be a valid alternative...
- Effects of endothelin-1 on prevention of microvascular endothelium injuries in hemorrhagic shock in rats
Department of Physiology, Medical University of Silesia, Jordana 19, PL 41 808 Zabrze, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 59:98-106. 2007
..The experiment was conducted on 48 rats anesthetized with ethylurethane, subjected to controlled hypotension (under 35-40 mmHg) for 60 min...
- Effects of permissive hypercapnia on transient global cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats
Department of Anesthesiology, The Second Clinical Hospital, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
Anesthesiology 112:288-97. 2010
..However, conclusive effects of permissive hypercapnia on cerebral ischemia are still unknown...
- [Ulinastatin attenuates lung injury in rats with hemorrhagic shock]
Chun Shui Lin
Department of Anesthesiology, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 29:876-9. 2009
..To investigate the effects of ulinastatin on lung injury in hemorrhagic shock rats...
- Bradykinin mediates the acute effect of an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor on cerebral autoregulation in rats
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Stroke 32:1216-9. 2001
..Hence, we investigated whether the effect of an ACE inhibitor on the lower limit of CBF autoregulation is mediated by the potentiation of bradykinin-mediated vasodilatation...
- Using remifentanil and sufentanil in functional endoscopic sinus surgery to improve surgical conditions
Maxillo Facial Surgery and ENT Division, National Institute of Tumors F Pascale, Naples, Italy
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 67:83-6. 2005
..study was to compare three types of general anesthesia for functional endoscopic sinus surgery (ESS) with controlled hypotension measuring the quality of visibility of the surgical field and the blood loss during the operation...
- [Spontaneous closure of a intracraneal dural arteriovenous fistula by controlled hypotension during a general anesthesia procedure. A case report]
Servicio de Anestesiologia, Reanimacion y Terapeutica del Dolor, Ciudad Sanitaria de Belvitge, Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Neurologia 18:746-9. 2003
..the intraoperative arteriographyc monitoritation showed a spontaneous closure of the DAVF after induced controlled hypotension, resulting in complete cure...
- Induced hypotension for tympanoplasty: a comparison of desflurane, isoflurane and sevoflurane
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 21:902-6. 2004
- Evaluating the relationship between arterial blood pressure changes and indices of pulse oximetric plethysmography
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Anesth Analg 95:1686-90, table of contents. 2002
..on characteristics of plethysmographic waveform in 33 adult patients undergoing general anesthesia with controlled hypotension. The delta-down and ventilatory systolic variation components were increased significantly with decreases ..
- Traumatic aortic ruptures
Department of Vascular Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 46:101-5. 2005
..Patients with a suspected TAR are preferably managed by controlled hypotension. TAR can be diagnosed by spiral CT angiography, additional angiography is not needed...
- [Modern management of bleeding disorders and haemorrhage in otorhinolaryngology]
K W Delank
Hals Nasen Ohren Klinik des Klinikums der Stadt Ludwigshafen am Rhein gGmbH, Ludwigshafen
Laryngorhinootologie 82:760-3. 2003
..The aim of this paper is to present diagnostical and therapeutical concepts proved to be medically effective and economically acceptable and to review the international literature...
- Repair of mycotic aortic pseudoaneurysm with a stent graft using transesophageal echocardiography
Sunil S Rayan
Department of Vascular Surgery, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Vasc Surg 40:567-70. 2004
..In addition, controlled hypotension and asystole were established with administration of adenosine to facilitate precise device deployment...
- A review of calcium channel antagonists in the treatment of pediatric hypertension
Division of Pediatric Nephrology, Loma Linda Children s Hospital, Loma Linda, California 92354, USA
Paediatr Drugs 8:357-73. 2006
..been used safely in hospitalized children and newborns for the management of hypertensive crisis, and for controlled hypotension during surgery. CCAs are a class of antihypertensives that are safe and effective in pediatric patients...
- Aorta-right atrial tunnel
Cheemalapati Sai Krishna
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Apollo Heart Institute, Visakhapatnam, India
Tex Heart Inst J 37:480-2. 2010
..Available treatments are catheter-based intervention, external ligation under controlled hypotension, or surgical closure with the patient under cardiopulmonary bypass...
- [Effect of hemorrhage on cell apoptosis in hippocampal CA1 region of rats under controlled hypotension]
Department of Anesthesiology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 35:63-9. 2010
To explore the effect of hemorrhage on cell apoptosis in the hippocampal CA1 region of rats under controlled hypotension (CH).
- Effect of age in rodent models of focal and forebrain ischemia
G R Sutherland
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Stroke 27:1663-7; discussion 1668. 1996
..This study examines the effect of age in two models of transient ischemia a forebrain and a focal model in male Wistar rats...
- The bispectral index and explicit recall during the intraoperative wake-up test for scoliosis surgery
Mary Ellen McCann
Department of Anesthesia, Children s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Anesth Analg 94:1474-8, table of contents. 2002
..b>Controlled hypotension was used for all cases...
- [Anesthesic management of thoracic aortic stent graft deployment using rapid ventricular pacing]
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Asahikawa Medical College, Asahikawa 078 8510
Masui 57:983-6. 2008
b>Controlled hypotension is useful for accurate deployment of an aortic endograft. We describe the use of rapid ventricular pacing during thoracic aortic stent graft deployment...
- The crossed dermal flaps technique for breast reduction
R de la Plaza
Aesthetic Plast Surg 28:383-92. 2004
..On the other hand, there is a great variety of clinical cases in which not only the volume must be considered, but also the degree of ptosis, the quality of the skin, the age, and, most importantly, the wishes of the patients...
- Total intravenous anaesthesia in endoscopic sinus-nasal surgery
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Cattinara Hospital, University of Trieste, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 24:137-44. 2004
..patients) was to improve the control of bleeding during functional endoscopic sinusal surgery by means of controlled hypotension achieved through either total intravenous anaesthesia using remifentanyl and propofol (27 patients), or ..
- The effect of dexmedetomidine on middle ear pressure
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:218-23. 2007
Dexmedetomidine is a preferred anesthetic agent in otological surgery because it provides controlled hypotension and good surgical field visibility...
- Permissive hypotension
Department of Anaesthesiology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich
Schweiz Med Wochenschr 130:1516-24. 2000
..of blood loss in systemic hypotension are between "deliberate hypotension" (synonym "controlled hypotension", used intraoperatively), "delayed resuscitation" (where the hypotensive period is ..
- [Analysis of death-related factors of type B aortic dissection treated medically during the acute phase]
Division of Vascular and Thyroid Surgery, Department of General Surgery, First Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 48:335-7. 2010
..To analyze the death-related risk factors of type B aortic dissection treated medically during the acute phase (symptoms presenting within 14 d), and to determine the predictors of surgical indications for acute type B aortic dissection...
- Endovascular surgery for failed open aortic aneurysm repair
Ludwig K von Segesser
Department of Cardio Vascular Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, CHUV, Rue du Bugnon 46, CH 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:614-20. 2004
..Determine the usefulness of endovascular surgery for repair of aortic lesions late after open surgical repair...
- [The assessment of correlation between mean arterial pressure and intraoperative bleeding during endoscopic sinus surgery in patients with low heart rate]
Klinika Otolaryngologii Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Białymstoku
Otolaryngol Pol 64:225-8. 2010
Induced controlled hypotension is a standard method aimed at decreasing intraoperative bleeding and achieving good operative field conditions...
- Blood-conservation techniques in craniofacial surgery
John G Meara
Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, VIC 3052, Australia
Ann Plast Surg 54:525-9. 2005
Attempts at reducing exposure to allogeneic transfusions, using blood conservation techniques such as controlled hypotension and normovolemic hemodilution, have met with mixed results and are not always practical in small infants...
- Major intraoperative neurologic deficits in pediatric and adult spinal deformity patients. Incidence and etiology at one institution
K H Bridwell
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:324-31. 1998
..unilateral convex segmental vessels, and each had a component of hyperkyphosis, as well as intraoperative controlled hypotension. All four patients showed marked improvement of motor weakness with time...
- Basilar bifurcation aneurysms. Lessons learnt from 40 consecutive cases
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Acta Neurochir Suppl 94:39-44. 2005
..of the use of fenestrated clip and conventional clip (especially for aneurysms projected posteriorly), controlled hypotension (systolic pressure of around 100 mmHg), temporary clipping (trapping) procedures of usually less than 15 ..
- Anesthetic management for ascending aorta replacement in a patient who refused autologous transfusion for religious reasons
Department of Anesthesiology, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, 1 Hikari gaoka, Fukushima 960 1295, Japan
J Anesth 23:436-8. 2009
..normovolemic hemodilution, the use of a cell-saver system, administration of high-dose tranexamic acid, controlled hypotension, avoidance of low body temperature, simplification of the surgery, and lower blood dilution during ..
- Hypotensive hemostatis (permissive hypotension) for ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm: are we really in control?
J Adam van der Vliet
Department of Vascular Surgery, Radboud University Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Vascular 15:197-200. 2007
..Protocol violations were sparse (n = 5). Uncontrolled hypotension occurred in 36% (28 of 77) of all patients, and the desired systolic blood pressure range was achieved in 46% (11 of 24) of the EVAR patients...
- C5-blocking antibody reduces fluid requirements and improves responsiveness to fluid infusion in hemorrhagic shock managed with hypotensive resuscitation
Russell M Peckham
Department of Cellular Injury, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
J Appl Physiol 102:673-80. 2007
..Whether anti-C5 could serve as a volume-sparing adjunct that improves responsiveness to fluid administration in humans deserves further study...
- Local cerebral blood flow with prostaglandin E1 or trimethaphan during cerebral aneurysm clip ligation
Department of Anaesthesiology, Osaka University Medical School, Japan
Can J Anaesth 38:831-6. 1991
..Neither drug affected surgical outcome or the incidence of vasospasm. These results suggest that PGE1 may be preferable to trimethaphan for hypotensive anaesthesia in cerebral aneurysm surgery because LCBF is maintained...
- Hypotensive epidural anesthesia in patients with aortic stenosis undergoing total hip replacement
MICHAEL C HO
Department of Anesthesiology, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY 10021, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 33:129-33. 2008
..This hypothesis-generating observational pilot study details the clinical outcomes in patients with aortic stenosis undergoing hypotensive epidural anesthesia for total hip replacement...
- Controlled hypotension in adults undergoing choroidal melanoma resection: comparison between the efficacy of nitroprusside and magnesium sulphate
Cairo University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology, Cairo, Egypt
Eur J Anaesthesiol 25:891-6. 2008
To determine whether magnesium sulphate could induce controlled hypotension, reduce choroidal blood flow, provide a 'dry' operative field and could be compared with sodium nitroprusside in the recently raised issue of the use of ..
- Anaesthesia for closed embolisation of cerebral arteriovenous malformations
B J O'Mahony
Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Perth Hospital, Western Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 16:318-23. 1988
..Systemic arterial hypotension may facilitate the embolisation process and various agents, including glyceryl trinitrate and sodium nitroprusside, have been employed for this purpose...
- Nitroglycerin inhibits experimental thrombosis and reocclusion after thrombolysis
S W Werns
Division of Cardiology, University of Michigan Medical Center, University Hospital, Ann Arbor 48109 0022
Am Heart J 127:727-37. 1994
..05 mg/kg/hr intraarterially, n = 6). Trimethaphan was used to produce controlled hypotension to match the approximately 10% decrease in mean arterial blood pressure that was observed during ..
- A multi-centre multi-national survey of anaesthetists regarding the range of anaesthetic and surgical practices for paediatric scoliosis surgery
G M Palmer
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Royal Children s Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 38:1077-84. 2010
..and sub-anaesthetic doses of intravenous ketamine by infusion (Australia); use of cell-saver (81%), controlled hypotension (77%) and antifibrinolytic agents (74%) (intravenous aprotinin [59%] or tranexamic acid [44%]); and ..
- An evaluation of the T-Line Tensymeter continuous noninvasive blood pressure device during induced hypotension
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Texas South Western Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Anaesthesia 63:307-12. 2008
..The T-Line Tensymeter represents a noninvasive alternative to an arterial line in cases when arterial blood sampling is not required...