- Anaesthesia for Caesarean section: a survey in a UK region from 1992 to 2002
J G Jenkins
Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XX, UK
Anaesthesia 58:1114-8. 2003
..3% in 1992 to 86.7% in 2002. There is an unacceptable rate of failure of RA for both elective and emergency CS, 1.3% of RAs for elective CS and 4.9% of RAs for emergency CS were converted to general anaesthesia...
- [Appropriate dose of isobaric bupivacaine with fentanyl in spinal anesthesia for cesarean section]
Department of Anesthesiology, Kansai Medical University Hospital, Moriguchi 570 8506
Masui 54:864-8. 2005
..Spinal anesthesia combined with fentanyl is commonly used for cesarean section. We studied the appropriate dose of isobaric bupivacaine for spinal anesthesia when combined with a fixed dose of 20 microg fentanyl...
- Use of remifentanil in a patient with peripartum cardiomyopathy requiring Caesarean section
C P McCarroll
Department of Clinical Anaesthesia, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, UK
Br J Anaesth 86:135-8. 2001
..The unusual diagnosis of peripartum cardiomyopathy and the potential benefits of the use of remifentanil in high-risk obstetric surgery are discussed...
- Comparison of the effects of intrathecal ropivacaine, levobupivacaine, and bupivacaine for Caesarean section
Department of Anaesthesiology of Clinique St Anne St Rémy, Brussels, Belgium
Br J Anaesth 91:684-9. 2003
..t.) ropivacaine and levobupivacaine provided anaesthesia (satisfactory analgesia and muscular relaxation) and postoperative analgesia of similar quality to bupivacaine in patients undergoing Caesarean section...
- Successful use of levosimendan in a patient with peripartum cardiomyopathy
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Hopital Lariboisiere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Institut Fédératif de Recherche 06, Paris, France
Anesth Analg 98:822-4, table of contents. 2004
..We determined that she met current diagnostic criteria for peripartum cardiomyopathy, and we successfully treated her with levosimendan, a calcium-sensitizing drug with additional vasodilation properties...
- Recognition and management of maternal cardiac disease in pregnancy
Department of Anaesthesia, St Michaels Hospital, Bristol and Department of Cardiac Surgery, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol BS2 8HW, UK
Br J Anaesth 93:428-39. 2004
..The presence of adequate systems for early detection, appropriate referral to specialist centres, and timely delivery with multidisciplinary support can minimize the serious consequences of poorly controlled heart disease in pregnancy...
- Incidence and characteristics of failures in obstetric neuraxial analgesia and anesthesia: a retrospective analysis of 19,259 deliveries
P H Pan
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Obstetric Anesthesia, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1009, USA
Int J Obstet Anesth 13:227-33. 2004
..5% of cesarean deliveries with no anesthetic-related mortalities. Future investigations should identify acceptable international standards, risk factors associated with failure and methods to reduce failure before cesarean section...
- Minimum local anaesthetic dose (MLAD) of intrathecal levobupivacaine and ropivacaine for Caesarean section
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Tor Vergata University, Rome, Italy
Anaesthesia 61:110-5. 2006
..58 mg (CI 95%: 10.08-11.09) and the MLAD of ropivacaine 14.22 mg (CI 95%: 13.67-14.77), using the Dixon and Massey formula. The potency ratio between spinal levobupivacaine and spinal ropivacaine was 1.34...
- Paraesthesiae during needle-through-needle combined spinal epidural versus single-shot spinal for elective caesarean section
C R McAndrew
Department of Anaesthesia, Mater Mother s Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland
Anaesth Intensive Care 31:514-7. 2003
..We postulate that the higher incidence of paraesthesiae with needle-through-needle CSE may be related to deeper penetration of the subarachnoid space with this technique...
- [Is regional anaesthesia less risky than general anaesthesia?]
Klinik für Anästhesie, Intensiv und Notfallmedizin, Kantonsspital Munsterlingen
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:365-8. 2006
- [Unusual complication after combined spinal/epidural anaesthesia]
Abteilung für Anästhesie und operative Intensivmedizin Blutdepot, Klinikum Garmisch Partenkirchen
Anaesthesist 52:703-6. 2003
..Pathological review of the surgical specimen revealed a myxopapillary ependymoma WHO grade I. The postoperative course was uncomplicated with preservation of bladder dysfunction but after 4 weeks the bladder function was normalised...
- Anesthetic management of a labouring parturient with urticaria pigmentosa
Centre universitaire de sante de l Estrie, Sherbrooke University
Can J Anaesth 53:380-4. 2006
..Postoperative pain control was managed with an epidural infusion of lidocaine and fentanyl for three days. The patient was discharged without complications four days postsurgery...
- Spinal and epidural versus general anesthesia for elective cesarean section at term: effect on the acid-base status of the mother and newborn
Department of Anesthesiology, Aretaieion Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, Greece
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 13:260-6. 2003
..To compare general, epidural and combined spinal-epidural anesthesia with respect to short-term outcome of newborns delivered by elective Cesarean section of healthy parturients with normal pregnancies...
- A survey of obstetric an aesthesia practice in Flanders
P Van Houwe
Dienst Anesthesie AZ Sint Augustinus, Oosterveldlaan 24, 2610 Wilrijk
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 57:29-37. 2006
..There is no clear preference in technique for postoperative analgesia after caesarean delivery as both parenteral and epidural analgesia are used in 50% of the cases...
- [Difficult intradural puncture for urgent cesarean section in a morbidly obese patient]
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 50:213-4. 2003
- An epidural initial dose is unnecessary in combined spinal epidural anesthesia for Caesarean section
Department of Anesthesiology, Nippon Medical School, Sendagi, Tokyo, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 73:70-4. 2006
..This finding suggests that an epidural initial dose is unnecessary for postoperative pain relief in combined spinal epidural anesthesia for Caesarean section...
- The influence of the mode of anaesthesia in the incidence of neonatal morbidity after an elective caesarean section
Department of Neonatology and NICU University General Hospital, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 33:10-2. 2006
- Ultra-low dose combined spinal-epidural anesthesia with intrathecal bupivacaine 3.75 mg for cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial
W H L Teoh
Department of Women s Anesthesia, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, Singapore
Int J Obstet Anesth 15:273-8. 2006
..We wished to investigate the feasibility of an ultra low-dose combined spinal-epidural technique in providing surgical anesthesia for uncomplicated cesarean deliveries in a randomized, double-blind controlled trial...
- Spinal anesthesia is the preferred technique for cesarean section in severe preeclampsia: proponent position
D D Hood
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1009, USA
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 53:305-10. 2002
- Combined spinal epidural causes higher level of block than equivalent single-shot spinal anesthesia in elective cesarean patients
Department of Women s Anesthesia, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, Singapore
Anesth Analg 102:577-80. 2006
- A case of unilateral Horner's syndrome after combined spinal epidural anesthesia with ropivacaine 10mg/mL for cesarean section
P D Theodosiadis
Obstetric Department, Interbalkan Medical Center, Thessaloniki, Greece
Int J Obstet Anesth 15:68-70. 2006
..The pathophysiology of Horner's syndrome and the possible mechanisms in relation to combined spinal epidural anesthesia are also presented...
- [Anesthetic management of caesarean section in a patient with asymptomatic idiopathic prolonged QT interval syndrome]
Department of Anesthesiology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai 980 8574
Masui 53:1167-9. 2004
..In conclusion, we consider combined spinal-epidural anesthesia as a safe anesthetic strategy for caesarean section in a patient with asymptomatic idiopathic prolonged QT interval syndrome...
- Is continuous spinal analgesia via an epidural catheter appropriate after accidental subarachnoid administration of 15 mL of bupivacaine 0.1% containing fentanyl 2 micrograms/mL?
University Department of Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Management, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester, UK
Int J Obstet Anesth 13:107-9. 2004
..5% with fentanyl 20 micrograms. A healthy baby was delivered with Apgar scores of 10 and 10, at 1 and 5 min, respectively. There was no postdural puncture headache or any neurological complications...
- Ultra low dose combined spinal and epidural anesthesia for cesarean section
Int J Obstet Anesth 13:198-200. 2004
- Cord gas analysis, decision-to-delivery interval, and the 30-minute rule for emergency cesareans
Cynthia J Holcroft
Department of Gyn Ob, Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Perinatol 25:229-35. 2005
- Change in anaesthetic practice for Caesarean section in Germany
U M Stamer
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:170-6. 2005
..However, anaesthetic practice for Caesarean section has changed during the last decades world-wide. This investigation was performed to obtain more actual data on anaesthetic procedures in obstetric patients in German hospitals...
- Failed regional anesthesia with reduced spinal bupivacaine dosage in a parturient with achondroplasia presenting for urgent cesarean section
J S DeRenzo
Department of Anesthesiology, Magee Women s Hospital, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA 15213, USA
Int J Obstet Anesth 14:175-8. 2005
..This case report discusses the controversies in anesthetic management of this complicated patient and compromised fetus regarding general anesthesia, epidural, spinal and combined spinal-epidural anesthesia...
- Anaesthesia for Caesarean section and neonatal acid-base status: a meta-analysis
Department of Anaesthesia, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK
Anaesthesia 60:636-53. 2005
..l(-1); seven studies, 695 subject) and epidural anaesthesia (difference 0.910; 95% CI 0.222-1.598 mEq.l(-1); seven studies, 497 subjects). Spinal anaesthesia cannot be considered safer than epidural or general anaesthesia for the fetus...
- [Combined spinal and epidural anesthesia for cesarean section: a retrospective study with 0.5% hyperbaric bupivacaine]
Department of Anesthesiology, Miyazaki Medical College, University of Miyazaki, Miyazaki 889 1692
Masui 53:893-7. 2004
..We investigated retrospectively the relationship between the intrathecal dose of 0.5% hyperbaric bupivacaine and the use of 2% mepivacaine through an epidural catheter...
- Comparison of the maternal and neonatal effects of epidural block and of combined spinal-epidural block for Cesarean section
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Ege University Faculty of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 121:18-23. 2005
..We have conducted a comparative investigation of the maternal and fetal effects of CSEB and of EB administered for Cesarean section...
- Epidural injection of lidocaine reduces the response to dural puncture accompanying spinal needle insertion when performing combined spinal-epidural anesthesia
Anton A van den Berg
The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, 6431 Fannin, MSB 5 020, Houston, TX 77030 1503, USA
Anesth Analg 101:882-5, table of contents. 2005
- [Myasthenia gravis, pregnancy and delivery: a series of ten cases]
Departement d Anesthesie Reanimation, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Antoine Beclere, 157, rue de la Porte de Trivaux, BP 405, 92141 Clamart Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 23:459-64. 2004
..To study the reciprocal interferences between pregnancy and myasthenia gravis (MG) and to describe obstetric and anaesthetic management during labour and the post-partum period...
- Intrathecal levobupivacaine and ropivacaine for cesarean section. New perspectives
Department of Anesthesia and Resuscitation Fatebenefratelli General Hospital, Isola Tiberina, Rome, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 71:521-5. 2005
- The decision to delivery interval in emergency and non-urgent cesarean sections
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Edith Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 113:182-5. 2004
..The aim of this study was to assess the decision to delivery interval (DDI) in our obstetric unit in comparison to current recommendations...
- [Randomized controlled trial comparing a low dose to a conventional dose of hyperbaric bupivacaine for scheduled cesarean section. Reflections]
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 52:512-3; author reply 513-4. 2005
- [Obstetrical anesthesia for parturient patients with HELLP syndrome]
Department of Anesthesiology, Sapporo Medical University, Sapporo 060 8543
Masui 51:968-72. 2002
..Determination of the appropriate anesthetic should be based on the patient's condition, condition of the fetus, and the urgency of the situation...
- Combined spinal-epidural anesthesia for cesarean delivery: dose-dependent effects of hyperbaric bupivacaine on maternal hemodynamics
Marc Van de Velde
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospitals Gasthuisberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Anesth Analg 103:187-90, table of contents. 2006
..05). We conclude that small-dose spinal anesthesia (6.5 mg hyperbaric bupivacaine combined with sufentanil) better preserves maternal hemodynamic stability with equally effective anesthesia that is of shorter duration...
- Combined spinal and epidural anesthesia for labor and cesarean delivery in a patient with Guillain-Barre syndrome
D V Vassiliev
Department of Anesthesiology, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 26:174-6. 2001
- Case series: Combined spinal epidural anesthesia for Cesarean delivery and ex utero intrapartum treatment procedure
Ronald B George
Department of Anesthesiology, Women s Anesthesia and Critical Care, Box 3094, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Can J Anaesth 54:218-22. 2007
- Anaesthesia for caesarean section
M R Dresner
Department of Anaesthetics, D Floor, Jubilee Wing, The General Infirmary, Great George Street, Leeds, LS13EX, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 15:127-43. 2001
..With every aspect of maternity care, a multidisciplinary team approach is in patients' best interests, and anaesthesia for caesarean section is no exception...
- [Stored autologous blood from a pregnant woman showing a considerable amount of agglutinates]
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo
Masui 56:326-8. 2007
..When the autologous blood from pregnant women is returned, special care should be taken because the blood is likely to form agglutinates even though the blood test data are within normal ranges...
- Uncorrected total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage in pregnancy
E M Hart
Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, UK
Int J Obstet Anesth 16:160-4. 2007
..To our knowledge, this is the first report of caesarean section in a patient with uncorrected total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage. In this case, regional anaesthesia was successfully used...
- Complete failure of spinal anaesthesia in obstetrics
Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Women s Hospital, Carlton, Australia
Int J Obstet Anesth 16:250-5. 2007
- Optimizing bupivacaine dosing for Cesarean delivery - I
Can J Anaesth 55:186; author reply 187-8. 2008
- Combined spinal and epidural anesthesia with low doses of intrathecal bupivacaine in women with severe preeclampsia: a preliminary report
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 26:46-51. 2001
..The maximum decreases in MAP after CSE were modest and quite similar in the 2 groups...
- [Anaesthesia, a cause of fetal distress?]
M P Bonnet
Departement d Anesthesie Reanimation, Hopital Antoine Beclere, APHP, Clamart Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 26:694-8. 2007
..To describe the effects of anaesthetic techniques and agents on the risk of fetal distress during labour pain relief and anaesthesia for caesarean section...
- Ultra-low dose combined spinal-epidural anaesthesia
Int J Obstet Anesth 16:387-8; author reply 388. 2007
- Technical difficulties and complication rates associated with the use of combined spinal-epidural anaesthesia for caesarean section
D J Viira
Int J Obstet Anesth 17:86-7. 2008
- Epidural volume extension and low-dose sequential combined spinal-epidural blockade: two ways to reduce spinal dose requirement for caesarean section
A F McNaught
Queen Charlotte s and Chelsea Hospital, Du Cane Road, London, UK
Int J Obstet Anesth 16:346-53. 2007
- The parturient with coronary heart disease
R L Smith
Department of Anaesthesia, Princess Royal Maternity Hospital, Glasgow UK
Int J Obstet Anesth 17:46-52. 2008
..Further investigation specific to each woman's management can then be undertaken...
- [Caesarean section to prevent supine hypotension syndrome]
Department of Anesthesiology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai 980 8574
Masui 56:148-53. 2007
..5% isobaric bupivacaine in parturients undergoing caesarean section and to demonstrate our modified combined spinal epidural (CSE) method...
- Combined spinal epidural causes a higher level of block than equivalent, single-shot spinal anesthesia in elective cesarean patients
Anesth Analg 104:745-6; author reply 746. 2007
- Obstetric anesthesia for the obese and morbidly obese patient: an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of treatment
Mieke A Soens
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative Medicine and Pain Management, Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 52:6-19. 2008
..A thorough understanding of the physiology, associated conditions and morbidity, available options for anesthesia and possible complications is therefore important for today's anesthesiologist...
- [Epidural infusion of low dose bupivacaine after combined spinal-epidural anesthesia using needle through needle method provided no analgesic effect on postoperative pain after caesarian section]
Department of Anesthesia, Miyazaki Shigun Ishikai Hospital, Miyazaki 880 0834
Masui 55:971-6. 2006
..Three different epidural analgesic regimens were compared retrospectively...
- Autonomic dysreflexia in a parturient with spinal cord injury
S L Osgood
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California 92103 8770, USA
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 57:161-2. 2006
..Spinal anesthesia may be superior to epidural anesthesia for providing hemodynamic protection against ADR during cesarean section...
- Suprasternal Doppler estimation of cardiac output: standard versus sequential combined spinal epidural anesthesia for cesarean delivery
Johanna K Bray
Department of Anesthetics, Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street, London, United Kingdom
Anesth Analg 103:959-64. 2006
..Sequential (Seq) combined spinal epidural (CSE) may provide better cardiovascular stability than standard (Std) CSE for cesarean delivery. We compared the cardiovascular stability of both techniques using suprasternal Doppler...
- Emergency Caesarean section: best practice
D M Levy
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Anaesthesia 61:786-91. 2006
..Induction and maintenance doses of drugs for general anaesthesia should not be reduced in the belief that the baby will be harmed. Early postoperative observations are geared towards the detection of overt or covert haemorrhage...
- Intrathecal sufentanil (1.5 microg) added to hyperbaric bupivacaine (0.5%) for elective cesarean section provides adequate analgesia without need for pruritus therapy
Department of Anaesthesia, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Duzce School of Medicine, Duzce, Turkey
J Anesth 20:274-8. 2006
..We compared the effects of different doses of intrathecal sufentanil when administered together with hyperbaric bupivacaine for elective caesarean section...
- Combined spinal-epidural anesthesia with very low dose hyperbaric levobupivacaine for cesarean section in a preeclamptic patient
Int J Obstet Anesth 16:91-3. 2007
- Anesthesia for Cesarean delivery in a parturient with rigid spine syndrome
Can J Anaesth 53:739-40. 2006
- Morbid obesity: a risk factor for maternal mortality
Int J Obstet Anesth 16:187; author reply 187-8. 2007
- Combined low-dose spinal-epidural anesthesia versus single-shot spinal anesthesia for elective cesarean delivery
D H Choi
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Int J Obstet Anesth 15:13-7. 2006
- Epidural volume extension at Caesarean section
P N Tilakaratna
Br J Anaesth 98:405; author reply 405. 2007
- Combined spinal and epidural anaesthesia for caesarean section in a parturient with severe primary pulmonary hypertension
A B Duggan
Division of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Prince of Wales Hospital, N S W
Anaesth Intensive Care 31:565-9. 2003
..Anaesthesia was provided by combined spinal-epidural block. We discuss controversies about the management of obstetric patients with this rare and serious condition...
- Risk factors for failure to extend labor epidural analgesia to epidural anesthesia for Cesarean section
Department of Anesthesiology, Rabin Medical Center Beilinson Campus, Petach Tiqva 49100, Israel
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:793-7. 2006
..To identify parturients at risk of inability to extend labor epidural analgesia in whom alternative methods of anesthesia should be considered for Cesarean section (CS)...
- Paracervical block in incomplete abortion using manual vacuum aspiration: randomized clinical trial
Pio Iván Gómez
Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Universidad Nacional de Colombia International Clinical Epidemiology Network, Bogota
Obstet Gynecol 103:943-51. 2004
..To estimate the effectiveness of paracervical block in controlling pain among women treated with manual vacuum aspiration for an incomplete abortion..
- [From balanced analgesia to epidural analgesia or combined spinal-epidural analgesia for relief of labor pain]
The Center for Perinatal Medicine, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara 228 8555
Masui 59:319-27. 2010
..In next 50 years, the standard method for labor analgesia may change to no needle system with non-placental transfer anesthetics...
- Pain control in first-trimester surgical abortion: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials
Regina M Renner
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Contraception 81:372-88. 2010
..First-trimester abortions especially cervical dilation and suction aspiration are associated with pain despite various methods of pain control...
- Methods for induced abortion
Phillip G Stubblefield
Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Obstet Gynecol 104:174-85. 2004
..Fetal intracardiac injection to reduce multiple pregnancies or selectively abort an anomalous twin is accepted therapy. Outcomes for the remaining pregnancy have improved with experience...
- Informed consent for labor epidurals: a survey of Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology anesthesiologists from the United States
T A Saunders
Department of Anesthesiology, SUNY Stony Brook University Hospital and Medical Center, NY 11794 8480, USA
Int J Obstet Anesth 15:98-103. 2006
..The purpose of this pilot study was to determine practices and opinions of obstetric anesthesiologists regarding informed consent for parturients...
- Transfer of methohexital across the perfused human placenta
N L Herman
Department of Anesthesiology, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Anesth 12:25-30. 2000
..To evaluate the transfer properties of methohexital and the influence of protein binding using the in vitro human placental perfusion model...
- Fetal monitoring bundle
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Maimonides Medical Center and SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, New York 11219, USA
Obstet Gynecol 114:1332-5. 2009
..This bundle is a key, but not sole, piece of the perinatal safety pie; perinatal safety is advanced through a multifaceted approach anchored in a culture that values and invests in safety...
- Obstetrical anesthesia for a parturient with a ventriculoperitoneal shunt and third ventriculostomy
J A Littleford
Department of Anesthesia, Mount Sinai Hospital and the University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Anaesth 46:1057-63. 1999
- Anaesthesia for assisted conception: a survey of UK practice
University Department of Anaesthesia, Manchester Royal Infirmary, UK
Eur J Anaesthesiol 16:225-30. 1999
..The only agreement at present appears to be that halothane is an unwise choice for IVF. No other technique has yet been proven to be either advantageous or detrimental...
- The impact of longer-than-average anesthesia times on the billing of academic anesthesiology departments
A E Abouleish
Department of Anesthesiology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0591, USA
Anesth Analg 93:1537-43, table of contents. 2001
..A flat-fee system would adversely affect academic anesthesiology departments...
- Is paracervical block safe and effective? A prospective study of its association with neonatal umbilical artery pH values
B T Levy
Department of Family Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Fam Pract 48:778-84. 1999
..Paracervical blocks (PCBs) relieve labor pain, but reports of associated complications have caused many physicians to question their safety...
- Obstetric anesthesia work force survey, 1981 versus 1992
J L Hawkins
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
Anesthesiology 87:135-43. 1997
..The survey was expanded and repeated in 1992 with support from the same organizations...
- Electro-acupuncture as a peroperative analgesic method and its effects on implantation rate and neuropeptide Y concentrations in follicular fluid
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Goteborg University, Gothenburg, Sweden
Hum Reprod 18:1454-60. 2003
..Neuropeptide Y (NPY) concentrations in follicular fluid (FF) were analysed when possible...
- Combined spinal-epidural analgesia for labor pain: best timing of epidural infusion following spinal dose
Department of Anesthesiology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, 1 15 1 Kitasato, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 228 8555, Japan
Arch Gynecol Obstet 279:329-34. 2009
..However, the best timing of an epidural infusion following the spinal dose and its effect on the total local anesthetics consumption has not been well determined...
- [Diagnostic hysteroscopy in the third millennium. Indications and role]
Scuola di Specializzazione in Ginecologia e Ostetricia, Universita degli Studi di L Aquila, L Aquila, Italy
Minerva Ginecol 55:159-65. 2003
..Emphasis is laid on the description of the indications underlying the investigation and on the hysteroscopic and histological findings in the cases examined...
- The effectiveness of video technology as an adjunct to teach and evaluate epidural anesthesia performance skills
David J Birnbach
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Anesthesiology 96:5-9. 2002
..The purpose of the prospective, randomized, blinded study was to determine whether teaching with video review improves epidural anesthesia skills of anesthesiology residents...
- A new highly reliable instrument for the assessment of pre- and postoperative gynecological pain
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Goteborg University, SE 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Anesth Analg 95:151-7, table of contents. 2002
..The Pain Matcher procedure was well accepted by the patients, and the results suggest that it may be useful when evaluating acute pre- and postoperative pain...
- Placental tissue enhances uterine relaxation by nitroglycerin
Department of Anesthesia, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115 6110, USA
Anesth Analg 86:304-9. 1998
..Placental tissue modestly increased the response of aorta to TNG, but not of uterine tissue to the NO-independent uterine relaxants MgSO4 and terbutaline...
- A randomized comparison of different methods of analgesia in abortion using manual vacuum aspiration
J C Lopez
Complejo Hospitalario Arnulfo Arias Madrid, Caja de Seguro Social, Panama, Panama
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:91-4. 2007
..To estimate the effectiveness of different methods of analgesia among women treated with manual vacuum aspiration for spontaneous abortion...
- Resident training in obstetric anesthesia in the United States
M K Panni
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Texas, Medical School at Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Obstet Anesth 15:284-9. 2006
..Limited information exists on obstetric anesthesia experience and training within residency training programs in the United States...
- Obstetric anesthesia - then and now
H S Chadwick
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195, USA
Minerva Anestesiol 71:517-20. 2005
..Current obstetric anesthetic practice, though quite different from what it was 30 or 40 years ago, has its roots in the priorities, techniques and teachings of Dr. John J. Bonica...
- Lidocaine vaginal gel versus lidocaine paracervical block for analgesia during oocyte retrieval
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Hum Reprod 19:1116-20. 2004
..Vaginal application of lidocaine gel is a non-invasive alternative to lidocaine paracervical block. The goal of the present trial was to compare analgesia with lidocaine vaginal gel versus lidocaine paracervical block...
- What's new and novel in obstetric anesthesia? Contributions from the 2003 scientific literature
L C Tsen
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston MA 02115, USA
Int J Obstet Anesth 14:126-46. 2005
..MISCELLANEOUS: Consent; ethics; history; labor support; websites/books/leaflets/journal announcements...
- Randomized controlled trial of mefenamic acid vs paracervical block for relief of pain for outpatient uterine curettage
Department of Ob Gyn, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen 40002 Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 88:881-5. 2005
..To compare the efficacy of mefenamic acid vs paracervical block for pain relief during and after fractional curettage...
- Prospective analysis of office-based hysteroscopic sterilization
Mark D Levie
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Women s Health, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 13:98-101. 2006
..To evaluate the efficacy of performing the Essure hysteroscopic sterilization in an office-based setting...
- Pain management of first-trimester surgical abortion: effects of selection of local anesthesia with and without lorazepam or intravenous sedation
Rebecca H Allen
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Contraception 74:407-13. 2006
..This prospective observational study compared the effectiveness and acceptability of three commonly used regimens to reduce pain during first-trimester surgical abortion with local anesthesia...
- A survey of labor patient-controlled epidural anesthesia practice in California hospitals
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Int J Obstet Anesth 15:217-22. 2006
..The aim of this study was to determine labor epidural and patient-controlled epidural analgesia practices among California hospitals...
- Uterine balloon therapy to treat menorrhagia
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 63:139-43. 1998
..To study the clinical efficacy, safety and acceptability of the thermal balloon endometrial ablation (TBEA) in patients with dysfunctional uterine bleeding...
- Hysteroscopic tubal sterilization with Essure intratubal devices: a case-control prospective with inert local anesthesia or without anesthesia
Service de gynécologie obstétrique et médecine de la reproduction, CHU de Nantes, 38 Boulevard Jean Monnet, Nantes Cedex, France
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 138:199-203. 2008
..The objective of this study was to compare procedure success, patient tolerance, and procedure time of Essure micro-insert hysteroscopic sterilization with or without anesthesia...
- Effects of cafedrine/theodrenaline, etilefrine and ephedrine on uterine blood flow during epidural-induced hypotension in pregnant sheep
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Munster, Munster, Germany
Fetal Diagn Ther 20:377-82. 2005
..Therefore, we evaluated the maternal and fetal hemodynamic effects of two potential alternatives to ephedrine...
- Anesthetic management of labor pain: what does an obstetrician need to know?
Krzysztof M Kuczkowski
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA 92103 8770, USA
Arch Gynecol Obstet 271:97-103. 2005
b>Obstetrical anesthesia is considered by many to be a high-risk subspecialty of anesthesia practice that is laden with clinical challenges and medico-legal liability...
- The role and comparison of two techniques of paracervical block for pain relief during suction evacuation for first-trimester pregnancy termination
Anita Sik Yau Kan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, China
Contraception 70:159-63. 2004
- Factor XI deficiency and obstetrical anesthesia
Division of Obstetric Anesthesiology, Department of Anesthesiology, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Anesth Analg 108:1882-5. 2009
..FXI deficiency is not an absolute contraindication to neuraxial anesthesia, provided appropriate hematology consultation has been obtained, and factor replacement is provided as guided by clinical and laboratory hemostatic evaluation...
- [Combined subarachnoid-epidural technique for obstetric analgesia]
Unidad de Anestesia Reanimación, Fundacion Hospital Alcorcon, Madrid
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 47:207-15. 2000
..Because opioids are injected into the intrathecal space and because the technique is more invasive than standard epidural analgesia, the potential risk to mother and fetus increases...
- A randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled study to investigate the use of conscious sedation in conjunction with paracervical block for reducing pain in termination of first trimester pregnancy by suction evacuation
C Y G Wong
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Hum Reprod 17:1222-5. 2002
..This study evaluated the role of conscious sedation in pain relief during termination of first trimester pregnancy by suction evacuation (SE) under local anaesthesia...
- Pharmacogenetics in obstetric anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98195 6540, USA
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 23:323-9. 2010
..With recent evidence highlighting an association between severe postdelivery pain and persistent pain, early recognition of an increased susceptibility for acute pain has become particularly relevant...