- Comparison of spinal and general anesthesia in lumbar laminectomy surgery: a case-controlled analysis of 400 patients
Robert F McLain
The Cleveland Clinic Spine Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 2:17-22. 2005
..Application of regional anesthetics is widely preferred for lower-extremity surgery, but general anesthesia is used almost exclusively in spine surgery, despite evidence that spinal anesthesia is as safe and may ..
- TREK-1, a K+ channel involved in neuroprotection and general anesthesia
Institut de Pharmacologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS, Institut Paul Hamel, Sophia Antipolis, Valbonne, France
EMBO J 23:2684-95. 2004
..Trek1-/- mice are also resistant to anesthesia by volatile anesthetics. TREK-1 emerges as a potential innovative target for developing new therapeutic agents for neurology and anesthesiology...
- Does dexmedetomidine prevent emergence delirium in children after sevoflurane-based general anesthesia?
Department of Anesthesiology, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 15:1098-104. 2005
Emergence agitation or delirium (ED) is a frequent phenomenon in children recovering from general anesthesia (GA)...
- General anesthesia activates BDNF-dependent neuroapoptosis in the developing rat brain
Lucy X Lu
Department of Anasthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, P O Box 800710, Charlottesville, 22908, USA
Apoptosis 11:1603-15. 2006
..beta-estradiol, a sex hormone that upregulates the protein levels of the activated Akt, protects against anesthesia-induced neuroapoptosis...
- Propofol induction reduces the capacity for neural information integration: implications for the mechanism of consciousness and general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0048, USA
Conscious Cogn 18:56-64. 2009
The cognitive unbinding paradigm suggests that the synthesis of neural information is attenuated by general anesthesia. Here, we analyzed the functional organization of brain activities in the conscious and anesthetized states, based on ..
- Spine Surgery under general anesthesia may not increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease
Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 29:233-9. 2010
Volatile anesthetics cause Alzheimer's disease (AD)-like neuropathology in animals. We determined whether spine surgery under general anesthesia and anesthetic choice contributed to AD development.
- Laryngotracheal topicalization with lidocaine before intubation decreases the incidence of coughing on emergence from general anesthesia
Sean C Minogue
Department of Anesthesia, Vancouver General Hospital and the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Anesth Analg 99:1253-7, table of contents. 2004
..022). This study supports the use of endotracheal lidocaine before intubation in patients undergoing general anesthesia for surgery <2 h duration where coughing on emergence is undesirable.
- Spinal versus general anesthesia for orthopedic surgery: anesthesia drug and supply costs
Department of Anesthesiology and General Intensive Care, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 102:524-9. 2006
..surgeries are common orthopedic interventions that can be performed with spinal anesthesia (SA) or general anesthesia (GA)...
- Effects of sevoflurane general anesthesia: immunological studies in mice
N R Puig
Institute of Immunology, School of Medicine, National University of Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina
Int Immunopharmacol 2:95-104. 2002
- Mechanisms of actions of inhaled anesthetics
Jason A Campagna
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2110-24. 2003
- Prediction of difficult mask ventilation
Departement d Anesthesie Reanimation, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, Universite Paris VI, Paris, France
Anesthesiology 92:1229-36. 2000
..Because the incidence of difficult mask ventilation (DMV) and the factors associated with it are not well known, we undertook this prospective study...
- Pain relief after arthroscopic shoulder surgery: a comparison of intraarticular analgesia, suprascapular nerve block, and interscalene brachial plexus block
François J Singelyn
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Catholic University of Louvain, St Luc Hospital, Avenue Hippocrate 10 1821, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Anesth Analg 99:589-92, table of contents. 2004
..25% bupivacaine. A control group was included for comparison. General anesthesia was administered to all patients. Patients were observed during the first 24 h...
- Difficult Airway Society guidelines for management of the unanticipated difficult intubation
J J Henderson
Anaesthetic Department, Gartnavel General Hospital, 1053 Great Western Road, Glasgow G12 0YN, UK
Anaesthesia 59:675-94. 2004
..The flow-charts are simple, clear and definitive. They can be fully implemented only when the necessary equipment and training are available. The guidelines received overwhelming support from the membership of the DAS...
- The intubating laryngeal mask airway after induction of general anesthesia versus awake fiberoptic intubation in patients with difficult airways
H S Joo
Department of Anaesthesia, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anesth Analg 92:1342-6. 2001
..01). The ILMA is a useful device in the management of patients with difficult airways and may be a valuable alternative to AFOI when AFOI is contraindicated or in the patient with the unanticipated difficult airway...
- Quantifying cortical activity during general anesthesia using wavelet analysis
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4, Canada
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 53:617-32. 2006
This paper reports on a novel method for quantifying the cortical activity of a patient during general anesthesia as a surrogate measure of the patient's level of consciousness...
- General anesthesia for surgery influences melatonin and cortisol levels
Department of General Surgery, Nazareth Hospital EMMS, Nazareth, Israel
World J Surg 29:826-9. 2005
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of general anesthesia and surgery on melatonin production, and to assess the relationship between melatonin secretion and cortisol levels...
- Effect of low tidal volume ventilation on atelectasis in patients during general anesthesia: a computed tomographic scan
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Xiangya Hospital, Central Southern University, Changsha, 41008, China
J Clin Anesth 19:125-9. 2007
To determine whether low tidal ventilation in patients without lung injury results in an increase in the amount of atelectasis and a further impairment of gas exchange during general anesthesia.
- Preoxygenation is more effective in the 25 degrees head-up position than in the supine position in severely obese patients: a randomized controlled study
Benjamin J Dixon
Australian Center for Obesity Research and Education, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne 3181, Victoria, Australia
Anesthesiology 102:1110-5; discussion 5A. 2005
..The authors explored the hypothesis that preoxygenation in the 25 degrees head-up position allows a greater safety margin for induction of anesthesia than the supine position...
- Stress hormone changes in general anesthesia of long duration: isoflurane-nitrous oxide vs sevoflurane-nitrous oxide anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 113 8655 Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Anesth 17:586-91. 2005
There are few comparative studies of stress hormone changes during general anesthesia with long duration between isoflurane-nitrous oxide and sevoflurane-nitrous oxide anesthesia...
- The effects of pneumoperitoneum on respiratory mechanics during general anesthesia for bariatric surgery
Abdelazeem Ali El-Dawlatly
Department of Anaesthesia, College of Medicine, King Saud University, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudia Arabia
Obes Surg 14:212-5. 2004
..The effects of pneumoperitoneum (PPM) on respiratory mechanics during bariatric surgery were investigated...
- A combination therapy of ethanol injection and radiofrequency ablation under general anesthesia for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma
Department of Gastroenterology, Kagawa University School of Medicine, 1750 1 Ikenobe, Miki cho, Kita gun, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 14:2037-43. 2008
..the effects of laparoscopic ethanol injection and radiofrequency ablation (L-EI-RFA), thoracoscopic (T-EI-RFA) and open-surgery assisted EI-RFA (O-EI-RFA) under general anesthesia for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
- Prevention of atelectasis in morbidly obese patients during general anesthesia and paralysis: a computerized tomography study
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Anesthesiology 111:979-87. 2009
..This study analyzed the effect of general anesthesia and three different ventilatory strategies to reduce the amount of atelectasis and improve respiratory ..
- Spinal-epidural anesthesia versus general anesthesia in the management of percutaneous nephrolithotripsy
Department of Anesthesiology, Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
J Endourol 23:1591-7. 2009
To compare the efficacy between combined spinal-epidural block and general anesthesia in patients undergoing percutaneous nephrolithotripsy (PNL).
- Stress-induced cardiomyopathy following cephalosporin-induced anaphylactic shock during general anesthesia
Eun Ha Suk
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Ulsan University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Can J Anaesth 56:432-6. 2009
Anaphylaxis may be caused by various agents during general anesthesia. Sympathetic discharge may occur during anaphylaxis, which can trigger transient cardiomyopathy...
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: the Midwestern surgical experience with the diaphragm pacing stimulation system shows that general anesthesia can be safely performed
Raymond P Onders
Department of Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Detroit, MI, USA
Am J Surg 197:386-90. 2009
There is a paucity of literature concerning general anesthesia and surgery in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease)...
- Regional or general anesthesia for carotid endarterectomy? Evidence from published prospective and retrospective studies
Department of Anesthesia, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 21:127-32. 2007
The aim of this study was to compare outcomes of patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy under regional or general anesthesia for any new neurologic impairment, stroke, stroke and/or death, death, and myocardial infarction.
- The effects of valerian on the time course of emergence from general anesthesia in Sprague-Dawley rats (Rattus norvegicus)
Robert L Chaplin
U S Air Force Academy, Colorado, USA
AANA J 75:431-5. 2007
..These data demonstrate the need for continued research concerning the effects of herbals and their potential for interaction with anesthetics...
- Epidural plus general anesthesia vs general anesthesia alone for elective aortic surgery: effects on gastric electrical activity and serum gastrin secretion
Department of Gastroenterology, Mauriziano U I Hospital, Turin, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 75:109-15. 2009
..of this study was to evaluate differences in electrogastrographic activity and serum gastrin secretion in patients subjected to general anesthesia (GA) vs blended anesthesia (BA = GA plus epidural analgesia) for abdominal aortic surgery.
- Frequency of anesthesia-related complications in children with Down syndrome under general anesthesia for noncardiac procedures
Lawrence M Borland
Department of Pediatric Anesthesiology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 14:733-8. 2004
..Craniofacial and cardiac anomalies of Down syndrome (DS; trisomy 21) would seem to place these patients at higher risk of anesthesia-related complications (ARCs), but to date no comprehensive large-scale study has quantified this risk...
- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy using cervical block: reasons for conversion to general anesthesia
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Arch Surg 141:401-4; discussion 404. 2006
We investigated the frequency and reasons for conversion from cervical block anesthesia to general anesthesia (GA) in patients undergoing minimally invasive parathyroidectomy for primary hyperparathyroidism.
- Takotsubo cardiomyopathy after general anesthesia for eye surgery
Department of Anesthesia, The Edith Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
Anesthesiology 105:621-3. 2006
- Positron emission tomography study of regional cerebral metabolism during general anesthesia with xenon in humans
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Anesthesiology 105:936-43. 2006
..Therefore, the authors hypothesized that xenon, similar to ketamine and nitrous oxide, increases global and regional cerebral metabolism in humans...
- Suppression of cough during emergence from general anesthesia: laryngotracheal lidocaine through a modified endotracheal tube
C A Diachun
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5640, USA
J Clin Anesth 13:447-51. 2001
To ascertain if coughing during emergence from general anesthesia can be suppressed with a modified endotracheal tube.
- A prospective randomized study comparing perioperative outcome variables after epidural or general anesthesia for lumbar disc surgery
Cengiz Bekir Demirel
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Zonguldak Karaelmas, Faculty of Medicine, Zonguldak, Turkey
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 15:185-92. 2003
..The aim of this study was to assess the superiority of general anesthesia or epidural anesthesia techniques in lumbar laminectomy and discectomy...
- The effect of skin incision on the electroencephalogram during general anesthesia maintained with propofol or desflurane
James W Sleigh
Department of Anesthesia, Waikato Clinical School of the University of Auckland, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, 3206, New Zealand
J Clin Monit Comput 24:307-18. 2010
A variety of effects of surgical incision on the electroencephalogram (EEG) during modern general anesthesia have been previously described; including both increases and decreases in both high and low frequencies in the EEG...
- Medicaid costs associated with the hospitalization of young children for restorative dental treatment under general anesthesia
M J Kanellis
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Public Health Dent 60:28-32. 2000
This paper examines the cost to the Iowa Medicaid program of hospitalizing young children for restorative dental care under general anesthesia, and describes the dental services received in this setting.
- Regional anesthesia is a good alternative to general anesthesia in pediatric surgery: Experience in 1,554 children
Departments of Pediatric Surgery and Anesthesiology, Turgut Ozal Medical Center, Inonu University, Faculty of Medicine, Malatya, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 37:610-3. 2002
..and spinal blocks are modern and safe techniques, in many centers children still are operated on under general anesthesia (GA), or the blocks are used for postoperative analgesia after GA in infraumbilical operations...
- Preoperative combined with intraoperative skin-surface warming avoids hypothermia caused by general anesthesia and surgery
Simone Maria D Angelo Vanni
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine of the University of São Paulo State, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Anesth 15:119-25. 2003
- The effects of intracuff lidocaine on endotracheal-tube-induced emergence phenomena after general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia, St James s Hospital and St Vincent s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Anesth Analg 91:201-5. 2000
Coughing during emergence from general anesthesia is a common clinical problem...
- Prevention of atelectasis formation during induction of general anesthesia
Departments of Anesthesiology, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Anesth Analg 97:1835-9. 2003
b>General anesthesia promotes atelectasis formation, which is augmented by administration of large oxygen concentrations...
- General anesthesia causes long-lasting disturbances in the ultrastructural properties of developing synapses in young rats
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Neurotox Res 17:179-88. 2010
..We believe that observed morphological disturbances of developing synapses may, at least in part, contribute to the learning and memory deficits that occur later in life after exposure of the immature brain to general anesthesia.
- Remifentanil for cesarean section under general anesthesia: effects on maternal stress hormone secretion and neonatal well-being: a randomized trial
Istituto di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Dipartimento di Emergenza e Accettazione Istituto di Chimica Clinica, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Int J Obstet Anesth 17:130-6. 2008
Remifentanil may attenuate maternal hemodynamic response during cesarean section under general anesthesia, but could cause transient but significant neonatal depression...
- Single-injection paravertebral block before general anesthesia enhances analgesia after breast cancer surgery with and without associated lymph node biopsy
Pekka M Kairaluoma
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Helsinki University Hospital, PO Box 580, Helsinki, FIN 00029 HUS, Finland
Anesth Analg 99:1837-43, table of contents. 2004
..5 mg/kg) or saline before general anesthesia. The patient and attending investigators were blinded; the PVB or the sham block was performed behind a ..
- The memory effects of general anesthesia persist for weeks in young and aged rats
Deborah J Culley
Department of Anesthesia, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Anesth Analg 96:1004-9, table of contents. 2003
..We tested the hypothesis that general anesthesia contributes to this cognitive impairment...
- Ultrasound-guided axillary brachial plexus block with 20 milliliters local anesthetic mixture versus general anesthesia for upper limb trauma surgery: an observer-blinded, prospective, randomized, controlled trial
Brian D O'Donnell
Department of Anesthesia, Cork University Hospital, Wilton Rd, Cork, Ireland
Anesth Analg 109:279-83. 2009
We performed a randomized, controlled trial comparing low-dose ultrasound-guided axillary block with general anesthesia evaluating anesthetic and perioperative analgesic outcomes.
- Mitochondrial perturbations and oxidant stress in lymphocytes from patients undergoing surgery and general anesthesia
Institute of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Policlinico Umberto I, La Sapienza University, 00161 Rome, Italy
Arch Surg 136:1190-6. 2001
..that a profound suppression of immune function transiently occurs in patients who undergo surgery under general anesthesia. The decline in the absolute counts of peripheral blood lymphocytes constitutes a major factor accounting ..
- Safety of same day discharge in patients undergoing sutureless thyroidectomy: a comparison of local and general anesthesia
William B Inabnet
Division of Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Thyroid 18:57-61. 2008
..The aim of this study was to assess the safety and efficacy of the electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing system in permitting ambulatory thyroid surgery under local anesthesia...
- Prevention of atelectasis formation during the induction of general anesthesia in morbidly obese patients
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Anesth Analg 98:1491-5, table of contents. 2004
Atelectasis caused by general anesthesia is increased in morbidly obese patients...
- The ability of pleth variability index to predict the hemodynamic effects of positive end-expiratory pressure in mechanically ventilated patients under general anesthesia
Hospices Civils de Lyon, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Louis Pradel Hospital, Claude Bernard Lyon 1 University, INSERM ERI 22, Lyon, France
Anesth Analg 110:792-8. 2010
..PVI can predict fluid responsiveness noninvasively in mechanically ventilated patients during general anesthesia. We hypothesized that PVI could predict the hemodynamic effects of 10 cm H2O positive end-expiratory ..
- Practical use of the raw electroencephalogram waveform during general anesthesia: the art and science
Waikato Clinical School, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, New Zealand
Anesth Analg 109:539-50. 2009
..qEEG) monitors are often used to estimate depth of anesthesia and intraoperative recall during general anesthesia. As with any monitor, the processed numerical output is often misleading and has to be interpreted within a ..
- No sex differences in memory formation during general anesthesia
Christopher A Stonell
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Anesthesiology 105:920-6. 2006
..However, sex differences in memory formation have not been explored. Therefore, the authors investigated sex differences in the implicit and explicit memory formation during general anesthesia.
- A comparison of a silicone wire-reinforced tube with the Parker and polyvinyl chloride tubes for tracheal intubation through an intubating laryngeal mask airway in patients with normal airways undergoing general anesthesia
Ghassan E Kanazi
American University of Beirut Medical Center, Department of Anesthesiology, Beirut, Lebanon
Anesth Analg 107:994-7. 2008
..We compared the blind intubation success rates among the silicone wire-reinforced tube, the Parker tube, and the PVC tube, and identified laryngeal structures preventing tracheal intubations through the ILMA...
- Implantation of electrodes for deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in advanced Parkinson's disease with the aid of intraoperative microrecording under general anesthesia
Department of Neurosurgery, Brüderkrankenhaus, Trier, Germany
Neurosurgery 59:E1138; discussion E1138. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the feasibility of MER for DBS surgery under general anesthesia (GA) and to compare the data of intraoperative MER as well as the clinical data with that of the current ..
- Gender and recovery after general anesthesia combined with neuromuscular blocking drugs
Frank F Buchanan
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Anesth Analg 102:291-7. 2006
Previous studies suggest that women recover faster from general anesthesia than men, but it is unclear whether this is a result of a gender effect or differences in the pattern of drug administration or type of surgery...
- Hemodynamic and respiratory changes following dexmedetomidine administration during general anesthesia: sevoflurane vs desflurane
School of Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 17:438-44. 2007
..The current study evaluates the hemodynamic and respiratory effects of dexmedetomidine (DEX) when administered to children anesthetized with sevoflurane (SEVO) or desflurane (DES)...
- The dental patient with special needs: a review of indications for treatment under general anesthesia
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, North Bronx Healthcare Network, Bronx, New York, USA
Spec Care Dentist 29:17-20. 2009
b>General anesthesia (GA) can play an important role in the facilitation of dental treatment for individuals who present with challenging behaviors...
- [Effects of neuraxial block and general anesthesia on tumor metastasis in rats]
Department of Anesthesiology, Cancer Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510060, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 28:2218-20. 2008
..To investigate the effects of different anesthesia methods on immune surveillance and tumor metastasis in tumor-bearing rats...
- Predictors of hypotension after induction of general anesthesia
David L Reich
Department of Anesthesiology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Box 1010, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
Anesth Analg 101:622-8, table of contents. 2005
Hypotension after induction of general anesthesia is a common event. In the current investigation, we sought to identify the predictors of clinically significant hypotension after the induction of general anesthesia...
- Combined epidural and general anesthesia for paediatric renal transplantation-a single center experience
V R Shah
Department of Anesthesia, Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Center and Institute of Transplantation, Civil Hospital Campus, Asarwa, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Transplant Proc 40:3451-4. 2008
..The aim of this study was to assess the preliminary application, success and safety of combined epidural and general anesthesia in pediatric renal transplantation in a small cohort.
- Insulin secretion and glucose utilization are impaired under general anesthesia with sevoflurane as well as isoflurane in a concentration-independent manner
Department of Anesthesiology, The Jikei University School of Medicine, 3 25 8 Nishishinbashi, Minato ku, Tokyo 105 8461, Japan
J Anesth 19:277-81. 2005
..The dose-dependent effects of sevoflurane and isoflurane anesthesia on glucose tolerance were compared in humans...
- Does yawning represent a transient arousal-shift during intravenous induction of general anesthesia?
Division of Anesthesia, Gifu Red Cross Hospital, Japan
Anesth Analg 101:382-4, table of contents. 2005
Although yawning occurs frequently during the IV induction of general anesthesia, the significance of this response remains unknown...
- Perioperative desaturation and risk factors in general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 91:1020-9. 2008
Despite advances in anesthetic technique, the incidence of perioperative desaturation in general anesthesia has remained high. Knowledge on factors associated with intraoperative desaturation is relatively scanty...
- Comparison of three anesthetic techniques for off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: general anesthesia, combined general and high thoracic epidural anesthesia, or high thoracic epidural anesthesia alone
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Orthopedic University Hospital, Friedrichsheim Foundation, Frankfurt, Germany
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 19:32-9. 2005
This study compared general anesthesia (GA), combined GA plus thoracic epidural anesthesia (TEA), and TEA alone in patients scheduled for off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting.
- Office-based ambulatory anesthesia: Factors that influence patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction with deep sedation/general anesthesia
Timothy T Coyle
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Sugarland, TX 77478, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:163-72. 2005
..collected in an outcomes study in an attempt to identify factors that may be significant predictors of either patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction with deep sedation/general anesthesia (DS/GA) administered in an office-based setting.
- General anesthesia with remifentanil for Cesarean section in a patient with HELLP syndrome
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Hotel Dieu de France Hospital, Saint Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:418-20. 2005
..Definitive therapy is delivery. Parturients HELLP syndrome often require general anesthesia for Cesarean section delivery...
- General anesthesia for patients with Brugada syndrome. A report of six cases
Department of Anesthesiology, Kitasato University Hospital, 1 15 1, Kitasato, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, 228 8555 Japan
Can J Anaesth 52:409-12. 2005
To review six cases of Brugada syndrome presenting for insertion of a cardioverter-defibrillator under general anesthesia.
- Need and demand for sedation or general anesthesia in dentistry: a national survey of the Canadian population
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Anesth Prog 52:3-11. 2005
The aim of this study was to assess the need and demand for sedation or general anesthesia (GA) for dentistry in the Canadian adult population. A national telephone survey of 1101 Canadians found that 9...
- Low-dose vasopressin infusion in patients with severe vasodilatory hypotension after prolonged hemorrhage during general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Kagoshima University School of Medicine, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890 8520, Japan
J Anesth 19:170-3. 2005
..a hypotensive crisis in patients who suffered persistent hypotension after prolonged hemorrhage during general anesthesia. VP was infused in two posthemorrhagic vasodilatory shock patients when they remained persistently ..
- Characteristics of anesthetic agents used for induction and maintenance of general anesthesia
Edmond I Eger
Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0464, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 61:S3-10. 2004
- Development of a screening tool to assess the suitability of people with a disability for oral care under sedation or general anesthesia
Neeta T Prabhu
Paediatric Dentistry, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Spec Care Dentist 28:145-58. 2008
..Agreement on behavior assessment between dentists and anesthesiologists was poor. The tool has the potential to identify which people with disabilities can be effectively allocated for treatment under sedation or GA...
- Influence of general anesthesia on pharmacokinetics of intravenous lidocaine infusion in horses
Darien J Feary
Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Vet Res 66:574-80. 2005
..To compare the disposition of lidocaine administered IV in awake and anesthetized horses...
- Supplemental oxygen causes increased signal intensity in subarachnoid cerebrospinal fluid on brain FLAIR MR images obtained in children during general anesthesia
Department of Radiology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Wash, USA
Radiology 233:51-5. 2004
To prospectively test the hypothesis that high levels of the fraction of inspired oxygen (Fio(2)) during general anesthesia cause subarachnoid cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) hyperintensity during fluid-attenuated inversion-recovery (FLAIR) ..
- Development and psychometric testing of a quality of recovery score after general anesthesia and surgery in adults
P S Myles
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Anesth Analg 88:83-90. 1999
..001). This study demonstrates that the QoR Score has good validity, reliability, and clinical acceptability in patients undergoing many types of surgery...
- Goal oriented general anesthesia for Cesarean section in a parturient with a large intracranial epidermoid cyst
Department of Anesthesia, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Can J Anaesth 48:884-9. 2001
..To illustrate the anesthetic management of a term parturient with a large brain tumour scheduled for Cesarean section...
- [General anesthesia and increased aspiration risk]
Lakartidningen 103:4033-7. 2006
- General anesthesia for ophthalmic surgery
Kathryn E McGoldrick
Department of Anesthesiology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Ophthalmol Clin North Am 19:179-91. 2006
..of ophthalmic operations in the United States are performed with local anesthetic techniques, nonetheless general anesthesia may be either necessary or advisable in several challenging circumstances...
- Seizure length with sevoflurane and thiopental for induction of general anesthesia in electroconvulsive therapy: a randomized double-blind trial
Keith G Rasmussen
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J ECT 22:240-2. 2006
..Absolute values for seizure duration with both sevoflurane and thiopental are well within typical ranges for those seen with the more commonly used methohexital as anesthetic...
- Maternal and neonatal effects of remifentanil at induction of general anesthesia for cesarean delivery: a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial
Warwick D Ngan Kee
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong, China
Anesthesiology 104:14-20. 2006
Use of remifentanil during general anesthesia for cesarean delivery has been described, but its maternal and neonatal effects have not been investigated by a controlled study.
- A new procedure of arytenoid adduction combined with type I thyroplasty under general anesthesia using a laryngeal mask
Department of Otolaryngology, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol 127:328-31. 2007
..and arytenoid adduction of direct lateral cricoarytenoid (LCA) muscle pulling at the same time under general anesthesia using a laryngeal mask is reported...
- Evaluation of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography under conscious sedation and general anesthesia
Dept of Anesthesia, Medical School of Hanover, Hanover, Germany
Endoscopy 34:721-6. 2002
In adults, general anesthesia is usually only provided during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) when prior attempts using conscious sedation have failed...
- Pediatric dental procedures under general anesthesia at the Amiri Hospital in Kuwait
Pediatric Dentistry Department, Al Amiri Dental Center, Kuwait
J Clin Pediatr Dent 25:337-42. 2001
..9 yr) had received dental treatments under general anesthesia (GA) at Amiri Hospital. The mean number of dental procedures per child was 13.6 (SD+/-5...
- Women emerge from general anesthesia faster than men
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care, R N T Medical College and Associated Group of Hospitals, Udaipur Rajasthan 313004, India
Middle East J Anesthesiol 19:173-83. 2007
..Recovery from general anesthesia is dependent on factors governing drug sensitivity and drug disposition...
- Dental treatment under general anesthesia in healthy and medically compromised developmentally disabled children: a comparative study
Juan Pablo Loyola-Rodriguez
San Luis Potosi University, San Luis Potosi, SLP, Mexico
J Clin Pediatr Dent 34:177-82. 2009
To compare the type, number of procedures and working time of dental treatment provided under dental general anesthesia (DGA) in healthy and medically compromised/developmentally disabled children (MCDD children).
- The effect of forced-air warming during arthroscopic shoulder surgery with general anesthesia
Hyung Seok Yoo
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, College of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea
Arthroscopy 25:510-4. 2009
..In both groups irrigation fluid at room temperature (22 degrees C) was used...
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy under spinal versus general anesthesia: a prospective, randomized study
Samer S Bessa
Department of General Surgery, University of Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 20:515-20. 2010
For laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC), the use of spinal anesthesia may offer several advantages over general anesthesia. The aim of this prospective, randomized study was to compare the surgical outcome of LC performed under general ..
- Comprehensive dental treatment under general anesthesia in healthy and disabled children
Pei Ying Lee
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Taipei, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Chang Gung Med J 32:636-42. 2009
Differences in dental treatment under general anesthesia (GA) in healthy and disabled children are rarely reported...
- The relationship between current intensity for nerve stimulation and success of peripheral nerve blocks performed in pediatric patients under general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia and University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4399, USA
Anesth Analg 105:1605-9, table of contents. 2007
..the relationship between the lowest current amperage used to obtain a motor response, the success rate and the incidence of neurological complications with peripheral nerve blocks (PNB) in pediatric patients under general anesthesia.
- Loss of effective connectivity during general anesthesia
Michael T Alkire
University of California, Irvine, California, USA
Int Anesthesiol Clin 46:55-73. 2008
- Temperature control and recovery of bowel function after laparoscopic or laparotomic colorectal surgery in patients receiving combined epidural/general anesthesia and postoperative epidural analgesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Vita Salute University of Milano, IRCCS H S Raffaele, Milano, Italy
Anesth Analg 95:467-71, table of contents. 2002
..surgery on temperature control in 44 patients undergoing colorectal surgery during a combined epidural/general anesthesia. A thoracic epidural block up to T4 was induced with 6-10 mL of 0...
- The effectiveness of 4% intracuff lidocaine in reducing coughing during emergence from general anesthesia in smokers undergoing procedures lasting less than 1.5 hours
Laura E Wetzel
University of Michigan Flint Hurley Medical Center Anesthesia Program, USA
AANA J 76:105-8. 2008
..This study did not show a correlation between use of intracuff lidocaine and a decrease in emergence coughing in procedures lasting less than 1.5 hours in patients who smoke...
- Combined general/epidural anesthesia (ropivacaine 0.375%) versus general anesthesia for upper abdominal surgery
Department of Anesthesiology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, People s Republic of China
Anesth Analg 106:1562-5, table of contents. 2008
We designed this study to investigate the effect of 0.375% ropivacaine on stress hormone responses and anesthetic requirements in combined epidural/general anesthesia for nephrectomy.
- [General anesthesia with remifentanil for a patient having sinoatrial block and constrictive pulmonary disorder]
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu 807 8555
Masui 57:1002-4. 2008
..Respiratory dysfunction was not seen in the postoperative course. Our case suggests that remifentanil may be a suitable analgesic for patients with cardiac conduction abnormalities...
- The influence of inspired oxygen fraction and end-tidal carbon dioxide on post-cross-clamp cerebral oxygenation during carotid endarterectomy under general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Anesth Analg 110:581-7. 2010
..We performed this study to determine the influence of Fio(2) and end-tidal carbon dioxide (Petco(2)) on rSO(2) in patients undergoing CEA with general anesthesia during carotid cross-clamping.
- Optimal oxygen concentration during induction of general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Central Hospital, Vasteras, and Research Associate, Department of Medical Sciences, Clinical Physiology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Anesthesiology 98:28-33. 2003
..The use of 100% oxygen during induction of anesthesia may produce atelectasis. The authors investigated how different oxygen concentrations affect the formation of atelectasis and the fall in arterial oxygen saturation during apnea...
- Parental presence during induction enhances the effect of oral midazolam on emergence behavior of children undergoing general anesthesia
Y C P Arai
Multidisciplinary Pain Center, Aichi Medical University, School of Medicine, Aichi, Japan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 51:858-61. 2007
..The aim of the present study was to test if a combination of mother presence and midazolam premedication is effective for improving emergence condition in children undergoing general anesthesia.
- Intraoperative myocardial ischemia in peripheral vascular surgery: general anesthesia vs combined sciatic and femoral nerve blocks
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Hotel Dieu de France Hospital, Beirut, Lebanon
J Clin Anesth 17:499-503. 2005
The aim of this study was to compare the frequency of intraoperative myocardial ischemia in lower extremity vascular surgery with general anesthesia vs regional anesthesia via combined sciatic and femoral nerve blocks.
- 532 nm pulsed potassium-titanyl-phosphate laser treatment of laryngeal papillomatosis under general anesthesia
James A Burns
Department of Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Center for Laryngeal Surgery and Voice Rehabilitation, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Laryngoscope 117:1500-4. 2007
..This investigation provides the first report of the pulsed-KTP laser during microlaryngoscopy under general anesthesia.
- The clinical assessment of Glidescope in orotracheal intubation under general anesthesia
F S Xue
Department of Anesthesiology, Plastic Surgery Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Minerva Anestesiol 73:451-7. 2007
- The efficacy of caudal morphine or bupivacaine combined with general anesthesia on postoperative pain and neuroendocrine stress response in children
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Ege University Hospital, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Paediatr Anaesth 16:290-6. 2006
- Intraarticular lesions in primary frozen shoulder after manipulation under general anesthesia
Department of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, University Hospital for Orthopaedic Surgery, Heidelberg, Germany
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:16-21. 2005
The aim of this study was to find intraarticular lesions after manipulation under general anesthesia in patients with primary frozen shoulder...
- Carotid Artery Stump Pressure (CASP) in 1135 consecutive endarterectomies under general anesthesia: an old method that survived the test of times
Division of Vascular Surgery, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11219, USA
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 48:677-81. 2007
..Herein, we attempt to demonstrate that CASP is a reliable test that does not need to be replaced by more sophisticated and expensive techniques...