- Comparison of spinal and general anesthesia in lumbar laminectomy surgery: a case-controlled analysis of 400 patients
Robert F McLain
The Cleveland Clinic Spine Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 2:17-22. 2005
..Application of regional anesthetics is widely preferred for lower-extremity surgery, but general anesthesia is used almost exclusively in spine surgery, despite evidence that spinal anesthesia is as safe and may ..
- TREK-1, a K+ channel involved in neuroprotection and general anesthesia
Institut de Pharmacologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS, Institut Paul Hamel, Sophia Antipolis, Valbonne, France
EMBO J 23:2684-95. 2004
..Trek1-/- mice are also resistant to anesthesia by volatile anesthetics. TREK-1 emerges as a potential innovative target for developing new therapeutic agents for neurology and anesthesiology...
- Predictors of hypotension after induction of general anesthesia
David L Reich
Department of Anesthesiology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Box 1010, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
Anesth Analg 101:622-8, table of contents. 2005
Hypotension after induction of general anesthesia is a common event. In the current investigation, we sought to identify the predictors of clinically significant hypotension after the induction of general anesthesia...
- General anesthesia activates BDNF-dependent neuroapoptosis in the developing rat brain
Lucy X Lu
Department of Anasthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, P O Box 800710, Charlottesville, 22908, USA
Apoptosis 11:1603-15. 2006
..beta-estradiol, a sex hormone that upregulates the protein levels of the activated Akt, protects against anesthesia-induced neuroapoptosis...
- Single-injection paravertebral block before general anesthesia enhances analgesia after breast cancer surgery with and without associated lymph node biopsy
Pekka M Kairaluoma
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Helsinki University Hospital, PO Box 580, Helsinki, FIN 00029 HUS, Finland
Anesth Analg 99:1837-43, table of contents. 2004
..5 mg/kg) or saline before general anesthesia. The patient and attending investigators were blinded; the PVB or the sham block was performed behind a ..
- Propofol induction reduces the capacity for neural information integration: implications for the mechanism of consciousness and general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0048, USA
Conscious Cogn 18:56-64. 2009
The cognitive unbinding paradigm suggests that the synthesis of neural information is attenuated by general anesthesia. Here, we analyzed the functional organization of brain activities in the conscious and anesthetized states, based on ..
- General anesthesia causes long-lasting disturbances in the ultrastructural properties of developing synapses in young rats
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Neurotox Res 17:179-88. 2010
..We believe that observed morphological disturbances of developing synapses may, at least in part, contribute to the learning and memory deficits that occur later in life after exposure of the immature brain to general anesthesia.
- Laryngotracheal topicalization with lidocaine before intubation decreases the incidence of coughing on emergence from general anesthesia
Sean C Minogue
Department of Anesthesia, Vancouver General Hospital and the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Anesth Analg 99:1253-7, table of contents. 2004
..022). This study supports the use of endotracheal lidocaine before intubation in patients undergoing general anesthesia for surgery <2 h duration where coughing on emergence is undesirable.
- Spine Surgery under general anesthesia may not increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease
Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 29:233-9. 2010
Volatile anesthetics cause Alzheimer's disease (AD)-like neuropathology in animals. We determined whether spine surgery under general anesthesia and anesthetic choice contributed to AD development.
- Spinal versus general anesthesia for orthopedic surgery: anesthesia drug and supply costs
Department of Anesthesiology and General Intensive Care, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 102:524-9. 2006
..surgeries are common orthopedic interventions that can be performed with spinal anesthesia (SA) or general anesthesia (GA)...
- Effects of sevoflurane general anesthesia: immunological studies in mice
N R Puig
Institute of Immunology, School of Medicine, National University of Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina
Int Immunopharmacol 2:95-104. 2002
- Mechanisms of actions of inhaled anesthetics
Jason A Campagna
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2110-24. 2003
- Pain relief after arthroscopic shoulder surgery: a comparison of intraarticular analgesia, suprascapular nerve block, and interscalene brachial plexus block
François J Singelyn
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Catholic University of Louvain, St Luc Hospital, Avenue Hippocrate 10 1821, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Anesth Analg 99:589-92, table of contents. 2004
..25% bupivacaine. A control group was included for comparison. General anesthesia was administered to all patients. Patients were observed during the first 24 h...
- Prediction of difficult mask ventilation
Departement d Anesthesie Reanimation, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, Universite Paris VI, Paris, France
Anesthesiology 92:1229-36. 2000
..Because the incidence of difficult mask ventilation (DMV) and the factors associated with it are not well known, we undertook this prospective study...
- Difficult Airway Society guidelines for management of the unanticipated difficult intubation
J J Henderson
Anaesthetic Department, Gartnavel General Hospital, 1053 Great Western Road, Glasgow G12 0YN, UK
Anaesthesia 59:675-94. 2004
..The flow-charts are simple, clear and definitive. They can be fully implemented only when the necessary equipment and training are available. The guidelines received overwhelming support from the membership of the DAS...
- Stress-induced cardiomyopathy following cephalosporin-induced anaphylactic shock during general anesthesia
Eun Ha Suk
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Ulsan University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Can J Anaesth 56:432-6. 2009
Anaphylaxis may be caused by various agents during general anesthesia. Sympathetic discharge may occur during anaphylaxis, which can trigger transient cardiomyopathy...
- Stress hormone changes in general anesthesia of long duration: isoflurane-nitrous oxide vs sevoflurane-nitrous oxide anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 113 8655 Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Anesth 17:586-91. 2005
There are few comparative studies of stress hormone changes during general anesthesia with long duration between isoflurane-nitrous oxide and sevoflurane-nitrous oxide anesthesia...
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: the Midwestern surgical experience with the diaphragm pacing stimulation system shows that general anesthesia can be safely performed
Raymond P Onders
Department of Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Detroit, MI, USA
Am J Surg 197:386-90. 2009
There is a paucity of literature concerning general anesthesia and surgery in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease)...
- Does yawning represent a transient arousal-shift during intravenous induction of general anesthesia?
Division of Anesthesia, Gifu Red Cross Hospital, Japan
Anesth Analg 101:382-4, table of contents. 2005
Although yawning occurs frequently during the IV induction of general anesthesia, the significance of this response remains unknown...
- Spinal-epidural anesthesia versus general anesthesia in the management of percutaneous nephrolithotripsy
Department of Anesthesiology, Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
J Endourol 23:1591-7. 2009
To compare the efficacy between combined spinal-epidural block and general anesthesia in patients undergoing percutaneous nephrolithotripsy (PNL).
- Epidural plus general anesthesia vs general anesthesia alone for elective aortic surgery: effects on gastric electrical activity and serum gastrin secretion
Department of Gastroenterology, Mauriziano U I Hospital, Turin, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 75:109-15. 2009
..of this study was to evaluate differences in electrogastrographic activity and serum gastrin secretion in patients subjected to general anesthesia (GA) vs blended anesthesia (BA = GA plus epidural analgesia) for abdominal aortic surgery.
- Regional or general anesthesia for carotid endarterectomy? Evidence from published prospective and retrospective studies
Department of Anesthesia, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 21:127-32. 2007
The aim of this study was to compare outcomes of patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy under regional or general anesthesia for any new neurologic impairment, stroke, stroke and/or death, death, and myocardial infarction.
- The effects of valerian on the time course of emergence from general anesthesia in Sprague-Dawley rats (Rattus norvegicus)
Robert L Chaplin
U S Air Force Academy, Colorado, USA
AANA J 75:431-5. 2007
..These data demonstrate the need for continued research concerning the effects of herbals and their potential for interaction with anesthetics...
- A combination therapy of ethanol injection and radiofrequency ablation under general anesthesia for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma
Department of Gastroenterology, Kagawa University School of Medicine, 1750 1 Ikenobe, Miki cho, Kita gun, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 14:2037-43. 2008
..the effects of laparoscopic ethanol injection and radiofrequency ablation (L-EI-RFA), thoracoscopic (T-EI-RFA) and open-surgery assisted EI-RFA (O-EI-RFA) under general anesthesia for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
- The effects of pneumoperitoneum on respiratory mechanics during general anesthesia for bariatric surgery
Abdelazeem Ali El-Dawlatly
Department of Anaesthesia, College of Medicine, King Saud University, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudia Arabia
Obes Surg 14:212-5. 2004
..The effects of pneumoperitoneum (PPM) on respiratory mechanics during bariatric surgery were investigated...
- Prevention of atelectasis in morbidly obese patients during general anesthesia and paralysis: a computerized tomography study
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Anesthesiology 111:979-87. 2009
..This study analyzed the effect of general anesthesia and three different ventilatory strategies to reduce the amount of atelectasis and improve respiratory ..
- Comparison of three anesthetic techniques for off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: general anesthesia, combined general and high thoracic epidural anesthesia, or high thoracic epidural anesthesia alone
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Orthopedic University Hospital, Friedrichsheim Foundation, Frankfurt, Germany
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 19:32-9. 2005
This study compared general anesthesia (GA), combined GA plus thoracic epidural anesthesia (TEA), and TEA alone in patients scheduled for off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting.
- Takotsubo cardiomyopathy after general anesthesia for eye surgery
Department of Anesthesia, The Edith Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
Anesthesiology 105:621-3. 2006
- Frequency of anesthesia-related complications in children with Down syndrome under general anesthesia for noncardiac procedures
Lawrence M Borland
Department of Pediatric Anesthesiology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 14:733-8. 2004
..Craniofacial and cardiac anomalies of Down syndrome (DS; trisomy 21) would seem to place these patients at higher risk of anesthesia-related complications (ARCs), but to date no comprehensive large-scale study has quantified this risk...
- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy using cervical block: reasons for conversion to general anesthesia
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Arch Surg 141:401-4; discussion 404. 2006
We investigated the frequency and reasons for conversion from cervical block anesthesia to general anesthesia (GA) in patients undergoing minimally invasive parathyroidectomy for primary hyperparathyroidism.
- A prospective randomized study comparing perioperative outcome variables after epidural or general anesthesia for lumbar disc surgery
Cengiz Bekir Demirel
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Zonguldak Karaelmas, Faculty of Medicine, Zonguldak, Turkey
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 15:185-92. 2003
..The aim of this study was to assess the superiority of general anesthesia or epidural anesthesia techniques in lumbar laminectomy and discectomy...
- Positron emission tomography study of regional cerebral metabolism during general anesthesia with xenon in humans
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Anesthesiology 105:936-43. 2006
..Therefore, the authors hypothesized that xenon, similar to ketamine and nitrous oxide, increases global and regional cerebral metabolism in humans...
- Suppression of cough during emergence from general anesthesia: laryngotracheal lidocaine through a modified endotracheal tube
C A Diachun
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5640, USA
J Clin Anesth 13:447-51. 2001
To ascertain if coughing during emergence from general anesthesia can be suppressed with a modified endotracheal tube.
- Prevention of atelectasis formation during induction of general anesthesia
Departments of Anesthesiology, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Anesth Analg 97:1835-9. 2003
b>General anesthesia promotes atelectasis formation, which is augmented by administration of large oxygen concentrations...
- Medicaid costs associated with the hospitalization of young children for restorative dental treatment under general anesthesia
M J Kanellis
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Public Health Dent 60:28-32. 2000
This paper examines the cost to the Iowa Medicaid program of hospitalizing young children for restorative dental care under general anesthesia, and describes the dental services received in this setting.
- The memory effects of general anesthesia persist for weeks in young and aged rats
Deborah J Culley
Department of Anesthesia, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Anesth Analg 96:1004-9, table of contents. 2003
..We tested the hypothesis that general anesthesia contributes to this cognitive impairment...
- Preoperative combined with intraoperative skin-surface warming avoids hypothermia caused by general anesthesia and surgery
Simone Maria D Angelo Vanni
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine of the University of São Paulo State, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Anesth 15:119-25. 2003
- Regional anesthesia is a good alternative to general anesthesia in pediatric surgery: Experience in 1,554 children
Departments of Pediatric Surgery and Anesthesiology, Turgut Ozal Medical Center, Inonu University, Faculty of Medicine, Malatya, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 37:610-3. 2002
..and spinal blocks are modern and safe techniques, in many centers children still are operated on under general anesthesia (GA), or the blocks are used for postoperative analgesia after GA in infraumbilical operations...
- The effects of intracuff lidocaine on endotracheal-tube-induced emergence phenomena after general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia, St James s Hospital and St Vincent s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Anesth Analg 91:201-5. 2000
Coughing during emergence from general anesthesia is a common clinical problem...
- Mitochondrial perturbations and oxidant stress in lymphocytes from patients undergoing surgery and general anesthesia
Institute of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Policlinico Umberto I, La Sapienza University, 00161 Rome, Italy
Arch Surg 136:1190-6. 2001
..that a profound suppression of immune function transiently occurs in patients who undergo surgery under general anesthesia. The decline in the absolute counts of peripheral blood lymphocytes constitutes a major factor accounting ..
- Prevention of atelectasis formation during the induction of general anesthesia in morbidly obese patients
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Anesth Analg 98:1491-5, table of contents. 2004
Atelectasis caused by general anesthesia is increased in morbidly obese patients...
- Ultrasound-guided axillary brachial plexus block with 20 milliliters local anesthetic mixture versus general anesthesia for upper limb trauma surgery: an observer-blinded, prospective, randomized, controlled trial
Brian D O'Donnell
Department of Anesthesia, Cork University Hospital, Wilton Rd, Cork, Ireland
Anesth Analg 109:279-83. 2009
We performed a randomized, controlled trial comparing low-dose ultrasound-guided axillary block with general anesthesia evaluating anesthetic and perioperative analgesic outcomes.
- Safety of same day discharge in patients undergoing sutureless thyroidectomy: a comparison of local and general anesthesia
William B Inabnet
Division of Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Thyroid 18:57-61. 2008
..The aim of this study was to assess the safety and efficacy of the electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing system in permitting ambulatory thyroid surgery under local anesthesia...
- The ability of pleth variability index to predict the hemodynamic effects of positive end-expiratory pressure in mechanically ventilated patients under general anesthesia
Hospices Civils de Lyon, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Louis Pradel Hospital, Claude Bernard Lyon 1 University, INSERM ERI 22, Lyon, France
Anesth Analg 110:792-8. 2010
..PVI can predict fluid responsiveness noninvasively in mechanically ventilated patients during general anesthesia. We hypothesized that PVI could predict the hemodynamic effects of 10 cm H2O positive end-expiratory ..
- Practical use of the raw electroencephalogram waveform during general anesthesia: the art and science
Waikato Clinical School, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, New Zealand
Anesth Analg 109:539-50. 2009
..qEEG) monitors are often used to estimate depth of anesthesia and intraoperative recall during general anesthesia. As with any monitor, the processed numerical output is often misleading and has to be interpreted within a ..
- Preoxygenation is more effective in the 25 degrees head-up position than in the supine position in severely obese patients: a randomized controlled study
Benjamin J Dixon
Australian Center for Obesity Research and Education, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne 3181, Victoria, Australia
Anesthesiology 102:1110-5; discussion 5A. 2005
..The authors explored the hypothesis that preoxygenation in the 25 degrees head-up position allows a greater safety margin for induction of anesthesia than the supine position...
- Dental treatment under general anesthesia in healthy and medically compromised developmentally disabled children: a comparative study
Juan Pablo Loyola-Rodriguez
San Luis Potosi University, San Luis Potosi, SLP, Mexico
J Clin Pediatr Dent 34:177-82. 2009
To compare the type, number of procedures and working time of dental treatment provided under dental general anesthesia (DGA) in healthy and medically compromised/developmentally disabled children (MCDD children).
- The effect of forced-air warming during arthroscopic shoulder surgery with general anesthesia
Hyung Seok Yoo
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, College of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea
Arthroscopy 25:510-4. 2009
..In both groups irrigation fluid at room temperature (22 degrees C) was used...
- Intraoperative myocardial ischemia in peripheral vascular surgery: general anesthesia vs combined sciatic and femoral nerve blocks
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Hotel Dieu de France Hospital, Beirut, Lebanon
J Clin Anesth 17:499-503. 2005
The aim of this study was to compare the frequency of intraoperative myocardial ischemia in lower extremity vascular surgery with general anesthesia vs regional anesthesia via combined sciatic and femoral nerve blocks.
- Changes of bispectral index during recovery from general anesthesia with 2% propofol and remifentanil in children
Hye Jin Park
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Medicine, Eulji University, Korea
Paediatr Anaesth 17:353-7. 2007
..The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between BIS index and predicted plasma concentration of propofol delivered by target controlled infusion (TCI) during emergence in children...
- Local/cervical block anesthesia versus general anesthesia for minimally invasive parathyroidectomy: what are the advantages?
Michael J Black
Section of Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:744-9. 2007
..Advantages of LA versus general anesthesia (GA) for these focused procedures have not been clearly demonstrated.
- Parental presence during induction enhances the effect of oral midazolam on emergence behavior of children undergoing general anesthesia
Y C P Arai
Multidisciplinary Pain Center, Aichi Medical University, School of Medicine, Aichi, Japan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 51:858-61. 2007
..The aim of the present study was to test if a combination of mother presence and midazolam premedication is effective for improving emergence condition in children undergoing general anesthesia.
- 532 nm pulsed potassium-titanyl-phosphate laser treatment of laryngeal papillomatosis under general anesthesia
James A Burns
Department of Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Center for Laryngeal Surgery and Voice Rehabilitation, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Laryngoscope 117:1500-4. 2007
..This investigation provides the first report of the pulsed-KTP laser during microlaryngoscopy under general anesthesia.
- Intraarticular lesions in primary frozen shoulder after manipulation under general anesthesia
Department of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, University Hospital for Orthopaedic Surgery, Heidelberg, Germany
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:16-21. 2005
The aim of this study was to find intraarticular lesions after manipulation under general anesthesia in patients with primary frozen shoulder...
- The efficacy of caudal morphine or bupivacaine combined with general anesthesia on postoperative pain and neuroendocrine stress response in children
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Ege University Hospital, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Paediatr Anaesth 16:290-6. 2006
- The clinical assessment of Glidescope in orotracheal intubation under general anesthesia
F S Xue
Department of Anesthesiology, Plastic Surgery Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Minerva Anestesiol 73:451-7. 2007
- Temperature control and recovery of bowel function after laparoscopic or laparotomic colorectal surgery in patients receiving combined epidural/general anesthesia and postoperative epidural analgesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Vita Salute University of Milano, IRCCS H S Raffaele, Milano, Italy
Anesth Analg 95:467-71, table of contents. 2002
..surgery on temperature control in 44 patients undergoing colorectal surgery during a combined epidural/general anesthesia. A thoracic epidural block up to T4 was induced with 6-10 mL of 0...
- Loss of effective connectivity during general anesthesia
Michael T Alkire
University of California, Irvine, California, USA
Int Anesthesiol Clin 46:55-73. 2008
- The effectiveness of 4% intracuff lidocaine in reducing coughing during emergence from general anesthesia in smokers undergoing procedures lasting less than 1.5 hours
Laura E Wetzel
University of Michigan Flint Hurley Medical Center Anesthesia Program, USA
AANA J 76:105-8. 2008
..This study did not show a correlation between use of intracuff lidocaine and a decrease in emergence coughing in procedures lasting less than 1.5 hours in patients who smoke...
- The effect of ketamine and nitrous oxide on the human pupillary light reflex during general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0648, USA
Auton Neurosci 152:108-14. 2010
..To study this question, sixteen patients received general anesthesia with desflurane, fentanyl, and muscular relaxation with rocuronium...
- Optimal oxygen concentration during induction of general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Central Hospital, Vasteras, and Research Associate, Department of Medical Sciences, Clinical Physiology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Anesthesiology 98:28-33. 2003
..The use of 100% oxygen during induction of anesthesia may produce atelectasis. The authors investigated how different oxygen concentrations affect the formation of atelectasis and the fall in arterial oxygen saturation during apnea...
- Lymphocyte apoptosis after major abdominal surgery is not influenced by anesthetic technique: a comparative study of general anesthesia versus combined general and epidural analgesia
Laboratory of Surgical Research, 1st Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippokrateio Hospital, University of Athens, 11527 Athens, Greece
J Clin Anesth 21:414-21. 2009
To examine the influence of abdominal colectomy with combined general anesthesia and epidural analgesia versus general anesthesia on apoptosis of circulating lymphocytes.
- Comprehensive dental treatment under general anesthesia in healthy and disabled children
Pei Ying Lee
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Taipei, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Chang Gung Med J 32:636-42. 2009
Differences in dental treatment under general anesthesia (GA) in healthy and disabled children are rarely reported...
- Combined general/epidural anesthesia (ropivacaine 0.375%) versus general anesthesia for upper abdominal surgery
Department of Anesthesiology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, People s Republic of China
Anesth Analg 106:1562-5, table of contents. 2008
We designed this study to investigate the effect of 0.375% ropivacaine on stress hormone responses and anesthetic requirements in combined epidural/general anesthesia for nephrectomy.
- The influence of inspired oxygen fraction and end-tidal carbon dioxide on post-cross-clamp cerebral oxygenation during carotid endarterectomy under general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Anesth Analg 110:581-7. 2010
..We performed this study to determine the influence of Fio(2) and end-tidal carbon dioxide (Petco(2)) on rSO(2) in patients undergoing CEA with general anesthesia during carotid cross-clamping.
- [General anesthesia with remifentanil for a patient having sinoatrial block and constrictive pulmonary disorder]
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu 807 8555
Masui 57:1002-4. 2008
..Respiratory dysfunction was not seen in the postoperative course. Our case suggests that remifentanil may be a suitable analgesic for patients with cardiac conduction abnormalities...
- Carotid Artery Stump Pressure (CASP) in 1135 consecutive endarterectomies under general anesthesia: an old method that survived the test of times
Division of Vascular Surgery, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11219, USA
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 48:677-81. 2007
..Herein, we attempt to demonstrate that CASP is a reliable test that does not need to be replaced by more sophisticated and expensive techniques...
- The relationship between current intensity for nerve stimulation and success of peripheral nerve blocks performed in pediatric patients under general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia and University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4399, USA
Anesth Analg 105:1605-9, table of contents. 2007
..the relationship between the lowest current amperage used to obtain a motor response, the success rate and the incidence of neurological complications with peripheral nerve blocks (PNB) in pediatric patients under general anesthesia.
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy under spinal versus general anesthesia: a prospective, randomized study
Samer S Bessa
Department of General Surgery, University of Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 20:515-20. 2010
For laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC), the use of spinal anesthesia may offer several advantages over general anesthesia. The aim of this prospective, randomized study was to compare the surgical outcome of LC performed under general ..
- Nerve stimulator guided pudendal nerve block versus general anesthesia for hemorrhoidectomy
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, Makassed General Hospital, P O Box 11 6301 Riad El Solh 11072210, Beirut, Lebanon
Can J Anaesth 53:579-85. 2006
..that patients receiving a nerve stimulator guided pudendal nerve block for hemorrhoidectomy would experience more effective and prolonged postoperative analgesia and shorter hospital stay compared to patients receiving general anesthesia.
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of propofol infusions during general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University Medical Center, California
Anesthesiology 69:348-56. 1988
..38-0.43 microgram/ml (EC50). This clinical study demonstrates the feasibility of performing pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic analyses when complex infusion and bolus regimens are used for administering iv anesthetics...
- [Hyperventilation syndrome before induction of and after awakening from general anesthesia]
Department of Anesthesiology, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo
Masui 58:768-71. 2009
..We experienced hyperventilation syndrome before induction of and after awakening from general anesthesia. A 53-year-old woman with no central nervous and psychiatric disease was scheduled for left total hip ..
- Paravertebral blocks provide superior same-day recovery over general anesthesia for patients undergoing inguinal hernia repair
The Department of Anesthesiology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York 10025, USA
Anesth Analg 102:1076-81. 2006
Inguinal herniorrhaphy is commonly performed on an outpatient basis under nerve blocks or local or general anesthesia (GA)...
- Simultaneous electroencephalography and functional magnetic resonance imaging of general anesthesia
Patrick L Purdon
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1157:61-70. 2009
..have become important tools for studying how anesthetic drugs act in the human brain to induce the state of general anesthesia. To date, no investigation has combined functional MRI with EEG to study general anesthesia...
- Postoperative outcome among elderly patients after general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Suwa Red Cross Hospital, and Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimatology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Nagano, Japan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:19-25. 2006
..The aim of this study was to identify preoperative risk factors for decreased 1- to 5-year survival rates and to compare the survival rates of stratified risk groups with those of the sex- and age-matched general population...
- Safety of general anesthesia for lumbar puncture and bone marrow aspirate/biopsy in pediatric oncology patients
Clarice F Meneses
Pediatric Oncology Unit daggerAnesthesiology, Perioperative Medicine Unit, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 31:465-70. 2009
..This study evaluated the frequency and severity of complications of bone marrow aspiration biopsy and lumbar puncture/intrathecal chemotherapy under general anesthesia.
- Preoperative oral dextromethorphan attenuated tourniquet-induced arterial blood pressure and heart rate increases in knee cruciate ligament reconstruction patients under general anesthesia
Departments of Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, Iwaki Kyoritsu General Hospital, Iwaki, Fukushima, Japan
Anesth Analg 98:994-8, table of contents. 2004
..and heart rate changes during tourniquet inflation in knee cruciate ligament reconstruction patients under general anesthesia. Patients in the DM group (n = 38) received oral DM 30 mg, and patients in the control group (n = 38) ..
- The effect of low-dose remifentanil on responses to the endotracheal tube during emergence from general anesthesia
Marie T Aouad
Department of Anesthesiology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Anesth Analg 108:1157-60. 2009
Emergence from general anesthesia can be associated with coughing, agitation, and hemodynamic disturbances. Remifentanil may attenuate these responses.
- Lateral antebrachial cutaneous neuropathy as a result of positioning while under general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7010, USA
Anesth Analg 110:122-4. 2010
..We present a case of lateral antebrachial cutaneous neuropathy after prolonged general anesthesia for left medial meniscal transplant and microfracture surgery...
- Intrathecal morphine plus general anesthesia in cardiac surgery: effects on pulmonary function, postoperative analgesia, and plasma morphine concentration
Luciana Moraes dos Santos
Department of Anesthesia, Heart Institute, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 64:279-85. 2009
..To evaluate the effects of intrathecal morphine on pulmonary function, analgesia, and morphine plasma concentrations after cardiac surgery...
- The recovery of cognitive function after general anesthesia in elderly patients: a comparison of desflurane and sevoflurane
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390-9068, USA
Anesth Analg 93:1489-94, table of contents. 2001
We evaluated the cognitive recovery profiles in elderly patients after general anesthesia with desflurane or sevoflurane...
- General anesthesia for surgery influences melatonin and cortisol levels
Department of General Surgery, Nazareth Hospital EMMS, Nazareth, Israel
World J Surg 29:826-9. 2005
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of general anesthesia and surgery on melatonin production, and to assess the relationship between melatonin secretion and cortisol levels...
- Intranasal sufentanil/midazolam versus ketamine/midazolam for analgesia/sedation in the pediatric population prior to undergoing multiple dental extractions under general anesthesia: a prospective, double-blind, randomized comparison
J A Roelofse
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Stellenbosch
Anesth Prog 51:114-21. 2004
..Effective postoperative analgesia for multiple dental extractions was provided. The intranasal administration of drugs for sedation and analgesia has some promising features in preschool children undergoing multiple dental extractions...
- Preoperative stellate ganglion blockade prevents tourniquet-induced hypertension during general anesthesia
Y C P Arai
Department of Anesthesiology, Ehime Rosai Hospital, Ehime, Japan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 48:613-8. 2004
..The present study was performed to investigate the effects of stellate ganglion block (SGB) on arterial pressure and heart rate during prolonged tourniquet use under general anesthesia.
- Hemodynamic effect of propofol in enalapril-treated hypertensive patients during induction of general anesthesia
Emergency Department, Medical University of Białystok, Waszyngtona 15A, PL 15 274 Białystok, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 57:675-8. 2005
..converting enzyme inhibitor (ACE-I) treated hypertensive patients are well known to be at risk during general anesthesia, because of hypotension that can occur...
- Cerebral oxygenation in the beach chair position before and during general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama, Wakayama 641 0012, Japan
Minerva Anestesiol 76:485-90. 2010
..The current study was designed to evaluate whether the beach chair position before and during general anesthesia differentially induces changes in cerebral oxygenation as determined by near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) in ..
- Near-death experience in a boy undergoing uneventful elective surgery under general anesthesia
Division of Anesthesiology, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Paediatr Anaesth 16:85-8. 2006
..We report on an episode of NDE that occurred in a 12-year-old boy who underwent a general anesthesia for an elective uncomplicated surgery...
- A comparison of emergence delirium scales following general anesthesia in children
Samira A Bajwa
Department of Paediatric Anaesthesia, Women s and Children s Hospital, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Paediatr Anaesth 20:704-11. 2010
..Emergence delirium (ED) is of increasing interest since the introduction of short-acting volatiles such as sevoflurane...
- Epidural anesthesia for coronary artery bypass surgery compared with general anesthesia alone does not reduce biochemical markers of myocardial damage
Michael J Barrington
Department of Anaesthesia, St Vincent s Hospital, Melbourne, PO Box 2900, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
Anesth Analg 100:921-8. 2005
..One-hundred-twenty patients were randomized to a general anesthesia (GA) group or a GA plus HTEA group. The GA group received fentanyl (7-15 microg/kg) and a morphine infusion...
- Thermoregulation: physiological and clinical considerations during sedation and general anesthesia
Anesth Prog 57:25-32; quiz 33-4. 2010
Mild hypothermia is common during deep sedation or general anesthesia and is frequently associated with patient discomfort and shivering...
- Recurrence of early childhood caries after comprehensive treatment with general anesthesia and follow-up
Women and Children s Hospital of Buffalo, University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine, Buffalo, NY, USA
J Dent Child (Chic) 73:25-30. 2006
Children diagnosed with early childhood caries (ECC) receive comprehensive treatment using general anesthesia at the Women and Children's Hospital of Buffalo...
- Water as a complex system: its role in ligand diffusion, general anesthesia, and sleep
Lemont B Kier
Center for the Study of Biological Complexity, Virginia Commonwealth University, VCU Life Sciences, Suite 111, 1000 West Cary Street, P O Box 842030, Richmond, VA 23284 2030, USA
Chem Biodivers 4:2473-9. 2007
..In view of the similarities between this anesthetic state and sleep, this mechanism is proposed to be operative for the sleep/wake states. Based on this mechanism and other factors, nitrogen (N2) is proposed as an exogenous sleep factor...
- Adie syndrome associated with general anesthesia
Can J Anaesth 55:130-1. 2008
- Remifentanil for cesarean section under general anesthesia: effects on maternal stress hormone secretion and neonatal well-being: a randomized trial
Istituto di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Dipartimento di Emergenza e Accettazione Istituto di Chimica Clinica, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Int J Obstet Anesth 17:130-6. 2008
Remifentanil may attenuate maternal hemodynamic response during cesarean section under general anesthesia, but could cause transient but significant neonatal depression...
- Postoperative cognitive dysfunction in adult and elderly patients--general anesthesia vs subarachnoid or epidural analgesia
Hisham M F Anwer
Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University
Middle East J Anesthesiol 18:1123-38. 2006
This study compared the effect of general anesthesia or regional vertebral analgesia (subarachnoid or epidural) on postoperative cognitive function in 60 young adult (group A) and 60 elderly (group E) patients undergoing orthopedic and ..
- A clinical assessment of the Glidescope videolaryngoscope in nasotracheal intubation with general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Plastic Surgery Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100041, People s Republic of China
J Clin Anesth 18:611-5. 2006
- Relatively light general anesthesia is more effective than fluid expansion in reducing the severity of epinephrine-induced hypotension during functional endoscopic sinus surgery
Wei yan Li
Department of Anesthesiology, Jinling Hospital, School of Medicine, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210002, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:1299-302. 2007
..infiltration of the nasal mucosa causes hypotension during functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS) under general anesthesia. A prospective randomized-controlled study was designed to determine whether relatively light general ..
- Uncomplicated general anesthesia in the elderly results in cognitive decline: does cognitive decline predict morbidity and mortality?
M C Lewis
Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Med Hypotheses 68:484-92. 2007
..This paper examines the proposition that general anesthesia causes harm to elderly patients with its impact being felt long after the anesthetic agents are cleared from ..
- Induced hypotension with epidural/general anesthesia reduces transfusion in radical prostate surgery
Paul J O'Connor
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Can J Anaesth 53:873-80. 2006
..We investigated the efficacy of deliberate hypotension using combined epidural/general anesthesia in reducing allogeneic transfusion requirements in patients undergoing radical prostatectomy.
- A prospective randomized trial comparing the technique of spinal and general anesthesia for lumbar disk surgery: a study of 100 cases
Seyed Hossein Sadrolsadat
Sina Hospital, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Surg Neurol 71:60-5; discussion 65. 2009
b>General anesthesia and regional anesthesia have both been shown to be suitable techniques for patients undergoing lower thoracic and lumbar spine surgery; however, GA is the most frequently used method...
- Combined spinal and general anesthesia attenuates liver metastasis by preserving TH1/TH2 cytokine balance
Department of Anesthesiology, National Defense Medical College, Namiki, Tokorozawa, Japan
Anesthesiology 106:499-506. 2007
..lessens infection by attenuating perioperative immunosuppression related to the stress response to surgery and general anesthesia. However, it remains to be determined whether regional anesthesia improves oncologic outcome after surgery.