- Effect of propofol on emergence behavior in children after sevoflurane general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Paediatr Anaesth 18:55-9. 2008
Emergence agitation (EA) is a postoperative behavior that may occur in children undergoing general anesthesia with inhaled agents.
- Spine Surgery under general anesthesia may not increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease
Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 29:233-9. 2010
Volatile anesthetics cause Alzheimer's disease (AD)-like neuropathology in animals. We determined whether spine surgery under general anesthesia and anesthetic choice contributed to AD development.
- Laryngotracheal topicalization with lidocaine before intubation decreases the incidence of coughing on emergence from general anesthesia
Sean C Minogue
Department of Anesthesia, Vancouver General Hospital and the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Anesth Analg 99:1253-7, table of contents. 2004
..022). This study supports the use of endotracheal lidocaine before intubation in patients undergoing general anesthesia for surgery <2 h duration where coughing on emergence is undesirable.
- Spinal versus general anesthesia for orthopedic surgery: anesthesia drug and supply costs
Department of Anesthesiology and General Intensive Care, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 102:524-9. 2006
..surgeries are common orthopedic interventions that can be performed with spinal anesthesia (SA) or general anesthesia (GA)...
- Mechanisms of actions of inhaled anesthetics
Jason A Campagna
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2110-24. 2003
- Difficult Airway Society guidelines for management of the unanticipated difficult intubation
J J Henderson
Anaesthetic Department, Gartnavel General Hospital, 1053 Great Western Road, Glasgow G12 0YN, UK
Anaesthesia 59:675-94. 2004
..Disclaimer: It is not intended that these guidelines should constitute a minimum standard of practice, nor are they to be regarded as a substitute for good clinical judgement...
- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy using cervical block: reasons for conversion to general anesthesia
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Arch Surg 141:401-4; discussion 404. 2006
HYPOTHESIS: We investigated the frequency and reasons for conversion from cervical block anesthesia to general anesthesia (GA) in patients undergoing minimally invasive parathyroidectomy for primary hyperparathyroidism...
- Frequency of anesthesia-related complications in children with Down syndrome under general anesthesia for noncardiac procedures
Lawrence M Borland
Department of Pediatric Anesthesiology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 14:733-8. 2004
..Craniofacial and cardiac anomalies of Down syndrome (DS; trisomy 21) would seem to place these patients at higher risk of anesthesia-related complications (ARCs), but to date no comprehensive large-scale study has quantified this risk...
- Takotsubo cardiomyopathy after general anesthesia for eye surgery
Department of Anesthesia, The Edith Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
Anesthesiology 105:621-3. 2006
- Single-injection paravertebral block before general anesthesia enhances analgesia after breast cancer surgery with and without associated lymph node biopsy
Pekka M Kairaluoma
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Helsinki University Hospital, PO Box 580, Helsinki, FIN 00029 HUS, Finland
Anesth Analg 99:1837-43, table of contents. 2004
..5 mg/kg) or saline before general anesthesia. The patient and attending investigators were blinded; the PVB or the sham block was performed behind a ..
- Positron emission tomography study of regional cerebral metabolism during general anesthesia with xenon in humans
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Anesthesiology 105:936-43. 2006
..Therefore, the authors hypothesized that xenon, similar to ketamine and nitrous oxide, increases global and regional cerebral metabolism in humans...
- Suppression of cough during emergence from general anesthesia: laryngotracheal lidocaine through a modified endotracheal tube
C A Diachun
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5640, USA
J Clin Anesth 13:447-51. 2001
To ascertain if coughing during emergence from general anesthesia can be suppressed with a modified endotracheal tube.
- Comparison of spinal and general anesthesia in lumbar laminectomy surgery: a case-controlled analysis of 400 patients
Robert F McLain
The Cleveland Clinic Spine Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 2:17-22. 2005
..Application of regional anesthetics is widely preferred for lower-extremity surgery, but general anesthesia is used almost exclusively in spine surgery, despite evidence that spinal anesthesia is as safe and may ..
- A prospective randomized study comparing perioperative outcome variables after epidural or general anesthesia for lumbar disc surgery
Cengiz Bekir Demirel
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Zonguldak Karaelmas, Faculty of Medicine, Zonguldak, Turkey
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 15:185-92. 2003
..The aim of this study was to assess the superiority of general anesthesia or epidural anesthesia techniques in lumbar laminectomy and discectomy...
- Prediction of difficult mask ventilation
Departement d Anesthesie Reanimation, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, Universite Paris VI, Paris, France
Anesthesiology 92:1229-36. 2000
..Because the incidence of difficult mask ventilation (DMV) and the factors associated with it are not well known, we undertook this prospective study...
- The memory effects of general anesthesia persist for weeks in young and aged rats
Deborah J Culley
Department of Anesthesia, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women's Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Anesth Analg 96:1004-9, table of contents. 2003
..We tested the hypothesis that general anesthesia contributes to this cognitive impairment...
- Pain relief after arthroscopic shoulder surgery: a comparison of intraarticular analgesia, suprascapular nerve block, and interscalene brachial plexus block
François J Singelyn
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Catholic University of Louvain, St Luc Hospital, Avenue Hippocrate 10 1821, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Anesth Analg 99:589-92, table of contents. 2004
..25% bupivacaine. A control group was included for comparison. General anesthesia was administered to all patients. Patients were observed during the first 24 h...
- The effects of intracuff lidocaine on endotracheal-tube-induced emergence phenomena after general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia, St James s Hospital and St Vincent s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Anesth Analg 91:201-5. 2000
Coughing during emergence from general anesthesia is a common clinical problem...
- Regional anesthesia is a good alternative to general anesthesia in pediatric surgery: Experience in 1,554 children
Departments of Pediatric Surgery and Anesthesiology, Turgut Ozal Medical Center, Inonu University, Faculty of Medicine, Malatya, Turkey
J Pediatr Surg 37:610-3. 2002
..and spinal blocks are modern and safe techniques, in many centers children still are operated on under general anesthesia (GA), or the blocks are used for postoperative analgesia after GA in infraumbilical operations...
- Preoperative combined with intraoperative skin-surface warming avoids hypothermia caused by general anesthesia and surgery
Simone Maria D Angelo Vanni
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine of the University of São Paulo State, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Anesth 15:119-25. 2003
- Practical use of the raw electroencephalogram waveform during general anesthesia: the art and science
Waikato Clinical School, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, New Zealand
Anesth Analg 109:539-50. 2009
..qEEG) monitors are often used to estimate depth of anesthesia and intraoperative recall during general anesthesia. As with any monitor, the processed numerical output is often misleading and has to be interpreted within a ..
- General anesthesia activates BDNF-dependent neuroapoptosis in the developing rat brain
Lucy X Lu
Department of Anasthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, P O Box 800710, Charlottesville, 22908, USA
Apoptosis 11:1603-15. 2006
..beta-estradiol, a sex hormone that upregulates the protein levels of the activated Akt, protects against anesthesia-induced neuroapoptosis...
- The ability of pleth variability index to predict the hemodynamic effects of positive end-expiratory pressure in mechanically ventilated patients under general anesthesia
Hospices Civils de Lyon, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Louis Pradel Hospital, Claude Bernard Lyon 1 University, INSERM ERI 22, Lyon, France
Anesth Analg 110:792-8. 2010
..PVI can predict fluid responsiveness noninvasively in mechanically ventilated patients during general anesthesia. We hypothesized that PVI could predict the hemodynamic effects of 10 cm H2O positive end-expiratory ..
- Spinal-epidural anesthesia versus general anesthesia in the management of percutaneous nephrolithotripsy
Department of Anesthesiology, Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
J Endourol 23:1591-7. 2009
To compare the efficacy between combined spinal-epidural block and general anesthesia in patients undergoing percutaneous nephrolithotripsy (PNL).
- Preoperative stellate ganglion blockade prevents tourniquet-induced hypertension during general anesthesia
Y C P Arai
Department of Anesthesiology, Ehime Rosai Hospital, Ehime, Japan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 48:613-8. 2004
..The present study was performed to investigate the effects of stellate ganglion block (SGB) on arterial pressure and heart rate during prolonged tourniquet use under general anesthesia.
- The effect of low-dose remifentanil on responses to the endotracheal tube during emergence from general anesthesia
Marie T Aouad
Department of Anesthesiology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Anesth Analg 108:1157-60. 2009
Emergence from general anesthesia can be associated with coughing, agitation, and hemodynamic disturbances. Remifentanil may attenuate these responses.
- Simultaneous electroencephalography and functional magnetic resonance imaging of general anesthesia
Patrick L Purdon
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1157:61-70. 2009
..have become important tools for studying how anesthetic drugs act in the human brain to induce the state of general anesthesia. To date, no investigation has combined functional MRI with EEG to study general anesthesia...
- Preoperative oral dextromethorphan attenuated tourniquet-induced arterial blood pressure and heart rate increases in knee cruciate ligament reconstruction patients under general anesthesia
Departments of Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, Iwaki Kyoritsu General Hospital, Iwaki, Fukushima, Japan
Anesth Analg 98:994-8, table of contents. 2004
..and heart rate changes during tourniquet inflation in knee cruciate ligament reconstruction patients under general anesthesia. Patients in the DM group (n = 38) received oral DM 30 mg, and patients in the control group (n = 38) ..
- Intranasal sufentanil/midazolam versus ketamine/midazolam for analgesia/sedation in the pediatric population prior to undergoing multiple dental extractions under general anesthesia: a prospective, double-blind, randomized comparison
J A Roelofse
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Stellenbosch
Anesth Prog 51:114-21. 2004
..Effective postoperative analgesia for multiple dental extractions was provided. The intranasal administration of drugs for sedation and analgesia has some promising features in preschool children undergoing multiple dental extractions...
- [Hyperventilation syndrome before induction of and after awakening from general anesthesia]
Department of Anesthesiology, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo
Masui 58:768-71. 2009
..We experienced hyperventilation syndrome before induction of and after awakening from general anesthesia. A 53-year-old woman with no central nervous and psychiatric disease was scheduled for left total hip ..
- Postoperative outcome among elderly patients after general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Suwa Red Cross Hospital, and Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimatology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Nagano, Japan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:19-25. 2006
..The aim of this study was to identify preoperative risk factors for decreased 1- to 5-year survival rates and to compare the survival rates of stratified risk groups with those of the sex- and age-matched general population...
- Safety of general anesthesia for lumbar puncture and bone marrow aspirate/biopsy in pediatric oncology patients
Clarice F Meneses
Pediatric Oncology Unit daggerAnesthesiology, Perioperative Medicine Unit, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 31:465-70. 2009
..This study evaluated the frequency and severity of complications of bone marrow aspiration biopsy and lumbar puncture/intrathecal chemotherapy under general anesthesia.
- Hemodynamic effect of propofol in enalapril-treated hypertensive patients during induction of general anesthesia
Emergency Department, Medical University of Białystok, Waszyngtona 15A, PL 15 274 Białystok, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 57:675-8. 2005
..converting enzyme inhibitor (ACE-I) treated hypertensive patients are well known to be at risk during general anesthesia, because of hypotension that can occur...
- Intrathecal morphine plus general anesthesia in cardiac surgery: effects on pulmonary function, postoperative analgesia, and plasma morphine concentration
Luciana Moraes dos Santos
Department of Anesthesia, Heart Institute, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 64:279-85. 2009
..To evaluate the effects of intrathecal morphine on pulmonary function, analgesia, and morphine plasma concentrations after cardiac surgery...
- The recovery of cognitive function after general anesthesia in elderly patients: a comparison of desflurane and sevoflurane
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390-9068, USA
Anesth Analg 93:1489-94, table of contents. 2001
We evaluated the cognitive recovery profiles in elderly patients after general anesthesia with desflurane or sevoflurane...
- Lateral antebrachial cutaneous neuropathy as a result of positioning while under general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7010, USA
Anesth Analg 110:122-4. 2010
..We present a case of lateral antebrachial cutaneous neuropathy after prolonged general anesthesia for left medial meniscal transplant and microfracture surgery...
- Nerve stimulator guided pudendal nerve block versus general anesthesia for hemorrhoidectomy
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, Makassed General Hospital, P O Box 11 6301 Riad El Solh 11072210, Beirut, Lebanon
Can J Anaesth 53:579-85. 2006
..that patients receiving a nerve stimulator guided pudendal nerve block for hemorrhoidectomy would experience more effective and prolonged postoperative analgesia and shorter hospital stay compared to patients receiving general anesthesia.
- Comparison of three anesthetic techniques for off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: general anesthesia, combined general and high thoracic epidural anesthesia, or high thoracic epidural anesthesia alone
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Orthopedic University Hospital, Friedrichsheim Foundation, Frankfurt, Germany
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 19:32-9. 2005
This study compared general anesthesia (GA), combined GA plus thoracic epidural anesthesia (TEA), and TEA alone in patients scheduled for off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting.
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of propofol infusions during general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University Medical Center, California
Anesthesiology 69:348-56. 1988
..38-0.43 microgram/ml (EC50). This clinical study demonstrates the feasibility of performing pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic analyses when complex infusion and bolus regimens are used for administering iv anesthetics...
- General anesthesia for surgery influences melatonin and cortisol levels
Department of General Surgery, Nazareth Hospital EMMS, Nazareth, Israel
World J Surg 29:826-9. 2005
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of general anesthesia and surgery on melatonin production, and to assess the relationship between melatonin secretion and cortisol levels...
- Paravertebral blocks provide superior same-day recovery over general anesthesia for patients undergoing inguinal hernia repair
The Department of Anesthesiology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York 10025, USA
Anesth Analg 102:1076-81. 2006
Inguinal herniorrhaphy is commonly performed on an outpatient basis under nerve blocks or local or general anesthesia (GA)...
- Clinical trial of fundoscopy under general anesthesia for pediatric outpatients with retinoblastoma
Second Department of Anatomy, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8602, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 9:36-41. 2004
..After we received letters from the families of such children, we decided to introduce day-care general anesthesia for fundoscopy...
- Postoperative cognitive dysfunction in adult and elderly patients--general anesthesia vs subarachnoid or epidural analgesia
Hisham M F Anwer
Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University
Middle East J Anesthesiol 18:1123-38. 2006
This study compared the effect of general anesthesia or regional vertebral analgesia (subarachnoid or epidural) on postoperative cognitive function in 60 young adult (group A) and 60 elderly (group E) patients undergoing orthopedic and ..
- Complicated endoscopic pediatric procedures using deep sedation and general anesthesia are safe in the endoscopy suite
Dept of Gastroenterology, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Scand J Gastroenterol 39:283-6. 2004
..Unlike adult patients, who receive conscious sedation, children usually require deep sedation (DS) or general anesthesia (GA)...
- Near-death experience in a boy undergoing uneventful elective surgery under general anesthesia
Division of Anesthesiology, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Paediatr Anaesth 16:85-8. 2006
..We report on an episode of NDE that occurred in a 12-year-old boy who underwent a general anesthesia for an elective uncomplicated surgery...
- A clinical assessment of the Glidescope videolaryngoscope in nasotracheal intubation with general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Plastic Surgery Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100041, People s Republic of China
J Clin Anesth 18:611-5. 2006
- Hemodynamic responses to epinephrine-containing local anesthetic injection and to emergence from general anesthesia in transsphenoidal hypophysectomy patients
Jeffrey J Pasternak
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 16:189-95. 2004
..episodes during the intranasal injection of vasoconstrictor-supplemented local anesthetics or emergence from general anesthesia. The present research characterized the blood pressure responses during transsphenoidal surgery and tested ..
- [Legendary Hwa Tuo's surgery under general anesthesia in the second century China]
Nai Shin Chu
Department of Neurology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linkou Medical Center, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Acta Neurol Taiwan 13:211-6. 2004
..His ultimate fame came from his remarkable surgical skills and his discovery of general anesthesia. According to the Chronicle of the Three Kingdoms (ca. 270 A.D.) and the Annals of the Later Han Dynasty (ca...
- A retrospective comparison of costs for regional and general anesthesia techniques
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Anesth Analg 100:786-94, table of contents. 2005
..study, we compared the costs for three different regional anesthesia techniques with the costs of general anesthesia (GA)...
- Recurrence of early childhood caries after comprehensive treatment with general anesthesia and follow-up
Women and Children's Hospital of Buffalo, University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine, Buffalo, NY, USA
J Dent Child (Chic) 73:25-30. 2006
PURPOSE: Children diagnosed with early childhood caries (ECC) receive comprehensive treatment using general anesthesia at the Women and Children's Hospital of Buffalo...
- Induced hypotension with epidural/general anesthesia reduces transfusion in radical prostate surgery
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Can J Anaesth 53:873-80. 2006
..We investigated the efficacy of deliberate hypotension using combined epidural/general anesthesia in reducing allogeneic transfusion requirements in patients undergoing radical prostatectomy...
- Epidural anesthesia for coronary artery bypass surgery compared with general anesthesia alone does not reduce biochemical markers of myocardial damage
Michael J Barrington
Department of Anaesthesia, St Vincent s Hospital, Melbourne, PO Box 2900, Fitzroy, Victoria 3065, Australia
Anesth Analg 100:921-8. 2005
..One-hundred-twenty patients were randomized to a general anesthesia (GA) group or a GA plus HTEA group. The GA group received fentanyl (7-15 microg/kg) and a morphine infusion...
- Dynamic cerebral autoregulation in patients with ruptured and unruptured aneurysms after induction of general anesthesia
Department of Neurosurgery, Ruhr University Bochum, Germany
Zentralbl Neurochir 67:81-7. 2006
..The aim of this study was to evaluate dynamic pressure autoregulation in patients undergoing surgery for intracranial aneurysms...
- Uncomplicated general anesthesia in the elderly results in cognitive decline: does cognitive decline predict morbidity and mortality?
M C Lewis
Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Med Hypotheses 68:484-92. 2007
..This paper examines the proposition that general anesthesia causes harm to elderly patients with its impact being felt long after the anesthetic agents are cleared from ..
- General anesthesia versus epidural and general anesthesia in radical cystectomy
Department of Anesthesiology, SSK Okmeydani Educational Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Urol Int 74:62-7. 2005
..The aim of this study is to compare two different anesthetic techniques in radical cystectomy with regard to blood loss, transfusional requirements, intraoperative complications and the quality of analgesia...
- Combined spinal and general anesthesia attenuates liver metastasis by preserving TH1/TH2 cytokine balance
Department of Anesthesiology, National Defense Medical College, Namiki, Tokorozawa, Japan
Anesthesiology 106:499-506. 2007
..lessens infection by attenuating perioperative immunosuppression related to the stress response to surgery and general anesthesia. However, it remains to be determined whether regional anesthesia improves oncologic outcome after surgery.
- The effects of valerian on the time course of emergence from general anesthesia in Sprague-Dawley rats (Rattus norvegicus)
Robert L Chaplin
U S Air Force Academy, Colorado, USA
AANA J 75:431-5. 2007
..These data demonstrate the need for continued research concerning the effects of herbals and their potential for interaction with anesthetics...
- Relatively light general anesthesia is more effective than fluid expansion in reducing the severity of epinephrine-induced hypotension during functional endoscopic sinus surgery
Wei yan Li
Department of Anesthesiology, Jinling Hospital, School of Medicine, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210002, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:1299-302. 2007
..infiltration of the nasal mucosa causes hypotension during functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS) under general anesthesia. A prospective randomized-controlled study was designed to determine whether relatively light general ..
- Delirium and postoperative cognitive dysfunction after general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Medicine, Jessenius Faculty of Medicine in Martin, Comenius University in Bratislava, Faculty Hospital in Martin, Slovak Republic
Med Sci Monit 15:CS81-7. 2009
b>General anesthesia is characterized by unconsciousness, analgesia, muscle relaxation, and depression of reflexes, generally in response to the administration of chemical agents that induce reversible unconsciousness...
- Comparison of a new cardiac output ultrasound dilution method with thermodilution technique in adult patients under general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, National Defense Medical College, Saitama, Japan
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 23:835-40. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to investigate the reliability of cardiac output (CO) measured by a new ultrasound dilution method (COud) in comparison with CO by pulmonary artery thermodilution (COtd) in adult patients undergoing surgery...
- A prospective randomized trial comparing the technique of spinal and general anesthesia for lumbar disk surgery: a study of 100 cases
Seyed Hossein Sadrolsadat
Sina Hospital, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Surg Neurol 71:60-5; discussion 65. 2009
b>General anesthesia and regional anesthesia have both been shown to be suitable techniques for patients undergoing lower thoracic and lumbar spine surgery; however, GA is the most frequently used method...
- Remifentanil for cesarean section under general anesthesia: effects on maternal stress hormone secretion and neonatal well-being: a randomized trial
Istituto di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Dipartimento di Emergenza e Accettazione Istituto di Chimica Clinica, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Int J Obstet Anesth 17:130-6. 2008
Remifentanil may attenuate maternal hemodynamic response during cesarean section under general anesthesia, but could cause transient but significant neonatal depression...
- Adie syndrome associated with general anesthesia
Can J Anaesth 55:130-1. 2008
- Ultrasound-guided axillary brachial plexus block with 20 milliliters local anesthetic mixture versus general anesthesia for upper limb trauma surgery: an observer-blinded, prospective, randomized, controlled trial
Brian D O'Donnell
Department of Anesthesia, Cork University Hospital, Wilton Rd, Cork, Ireland
Anesth Analg 109:279-83. 2009
We performed a randomized, controlled trial comparing low-dose ultrasound-guided axillary block with general anesthesia evaluating anesthetic and perioperative analgesic outcomes.
- Water as a complex system: its role in ligand diffusion, general anesthesia, and sleep
Lemont B Kier
Center for the Study of Biological Complexity, Virginia Commonwealth University, VCU Life Sciences, Suite 111, 1000 West Cary Street, P O Box 842030, Richmond, VA 23284 2030, USA
Chem Biodivers 4:2473-9. 2007
..In view of the similarities between this anesthetic state and sleep, this mechanism is proposed to be operative for the sleep/wake states. Based on this mechanism and other factors, nitrogen (N2) is proposed as an exogenous sleep factor...
- Cerebral oxygenation in the beach chair position before and during general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Wakayama Medical University, Wakayama, Wakayama 641 0012, Japan
Minerva Anestesiol 76:485-90. 2010
..The current study was designed to evaluate whether the beach chair position before and during general anesthesia differentially induces changes in cerebral oxygenation as determined by near-infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) in ..
- Ropivacaine epidural anesthesia and analgesia versus general anesthesia and intravenous patient-controlled analgesia with morphine in the perioperative management of hip replacement. Ropivacaine Hip Replacement Multicenter Study Group
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital of Kiel, Germany
Anesth Analg 89:111-6. 1999
The aim of our study was to compare epidural anesthesia and analgesia (EDA) with ropivacaine versus general anesthesia followed by IV patient-controlled analgesia with morphine (GA/PCA) after hip replacement regarding pain, side effects, ..
- A comparison of emergence delirium scales following general anesthesia in children
Samira A Bajwa
Department of Paediatric Anaesthesia, Women s and Children s Hospital, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Paediatr Anaesth 20:704-11. 2010
..Emergence delirium (ED) is of increasing interest since the introduction of short-acting volatiles such as sevoflurane...
- Thermoregulation: physiological and clinical considerations during sedation and general anesthesia
Anesth Prog 57:25-32; quiz 33-4. 2010
Mild hypothermia is common during deep sedation or general anesthesia and is frequently associated with patient discomfort and shivering...
- The effect of leaving dentures in place on bag-mask ventilation at induction of general anesthesia
Niamh P Conlon
Department of Anesthesia, Dunedin Hospital, Dunedin, New Zealand
Anesth Analg 105:370-3. 2007
..The optimum timing for denture removal in edentulous patients before anesthesia and surgery is uncertain...
- Incidence of oral tissue trauma after the administration of general anesthesia
B K Fung
Department of Anesthesia, Department of Medical Education and Research, Puli Christian Hospital, PO Box 31, Nantou, Puli, 545, Taiwan
Acta Anaesthesiol Sin 39:163-7. 2001
BACKGROUND: Administration of general anesthesia necessitates certain amounts of manipulation or instrumentation within the mouth that may cause some oral tissue injuries...
- A comparative study of general anesthesia, intravenous regional anesthesia, and axillary block for outpatient hand surgery: clinical outcome and cost analysis
V W Chan
Department of Anesthesia, University of Toronto, The Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anesth Analg 93:1181-4. 2001
- [High dose L-dopa infusion during general anesthesia for gastrectomy in a patient with parkinsonism]
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113-8655
Masui 51:42-5. 2002
..However, he developed no complications, which suggests a wide safety range of levodopa. In conclusion, high dose levodopa infusion was effective in controlling the symptoms of Parkinsonism during general anesthesia.
- The pressor response and airway effects of cricoid pressure during induction of general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Anesth Analg 93:787-90. 2001
..The result of this study shows that CP can cause a relatively strong pressor response...
- General anesthesia versus regional anesthesia
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Int Anesthesiol Clin 40:61-71. 2002
No distinct advantage is apparent between regional and general anesthesia when considering perioperative cardiac morbidity and mortality in peripheral vascular surgery...
- Attenuation of the tumor-promoting effect of surgery by spinal blockade in rats
Department of Anesthesiology, Rabin Medical Center, Petach Tikva, Israel
Anesthesiology 94:1066-73. 2001
..RESULTS: Laparotomy conducted during general anesthesia alone increased lung tumor retention up to 17-fold. The addition of spinal block reduced this effect by 70%...
- General anesthesia versus monitored anesthesia care with remifentanil for assisted reproductive technologies: effect on pregnancy rate
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Saarland, Homburg/Saar, Germany
J Clin Anesth 14:1-5. 2002
..technology procedures in women who undergo monitored anesthesia care (MAC) with remifentanil versus general anesthesia. DESIGN: Retrospective data analysis. SETTING: University hospital...
- The effect of music on the neurohormonal stress response to surgery under general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, , , , Canada
Anesth Analg 98:527-32, table of contents. 2004
Several pharmacological interventions reduce perioperative stress hormone release during surgery under general anesthesia. Listening to music and therapeutic suggestions were also studied, but mostly in awake patients, and these have a ..
- Oxygen in air (FiO2 0.4) improves gas exchange in young healthy patients during general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Can J Anaesth 49:1040-3. 2002
..the faster is the development of atelectasis, an important cause of impaired pulmonary gas exchange during general anesthesia (GA). We evaluated the effect of ventilation with 0.4 FiO(2) in air, 0...
- A comparison of neuraxial block versus general anesthesia for elective total hip replacement: a meta-analysis
William J Mauermann
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908-0710, USA
Anesth Analg 103:1018-25. 2006
BACKGROUND: A recent meta-analysis showed that compared with general anesthesia (GA), neuraxial block reduced many serious complications in patients undergoing various types of surgeries...
- Ventricular tachycardia during general anesthesia in a patient with congenital long QT syndrome
Robert I Katz
Department of Anesthesiology, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Can J Anaesth 50:398-403. 2003
..There have been numerous articles over the past 20 years describing isolated instances of surgical and anesthesia related complications but the general anesthetic management of the condition remains unclear...
- Heavy sedation versus general anesthesia for pediatric invasive cardiology: a Grayer shade of blue versus a pinker shade of pale?
S T Verghese
Pediatr Cardiol 24:193-4. 2003
- Patient-to-patient transmission of hepatitis C virus through the use of multidose vials during general anesthesia
Regional Coordinating Center for Nosocomial Infections Control, Pasteur Institute, Paris, France
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 26:789-92. 2005
..This cluster was related to unsafe injection practices through multidose vials and reused materials. Among 796 patients potentially exposed to and screened for HCV, no other cluster was identified...
- Effects of deep sedation or general anesthesia on cardiac function in mice undergoing cardiovascular magnetic resonance
Christopher J Berry
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Roy J, and Lucille A, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa, USA
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 11:16. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to assess the effects of general anesthesia and a new deep sedation regimen, respectively, on cardiac function in mice as determined by CMR, and to ..
- General anesthesia and contrast-enhanced computed tomography to optimize renal percutaneous radiofrequency ablation: multi-institutional intermediate-term results
Department of Urology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9110, USA
J Endourol 23:1099-105. 2009
..We evaluated intermediate-term outcomes of patients undergoing percutaneous contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CT)-guided radiofrequency ablation (RFA) under general anesthesia (GA) at two high-volume centers.
- The incidence of intra-operative awareness during general anesthesia in China: a multi-center observational study
Department of Anesthesiology, Beijing Chaoyang Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 53:873-82. 2009
The incidence of awareness in patients undergoing general anesthesia is 0.1-0.2% in Western countries...
- Ketamine is effective in decreasing the incidence of emergence agitation in children undergoing dental repair under sevoflurane general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Paediatr Anaesth 17:846-50. 2007
Emergence agitation or delirium is a known phenomenon that may occur in children undergoing general anesthesia with inhaled agents...
- Cerebral state monitor, a new small handheld EEG monitor for determining depth of anaesthesia: a clinical comparison with the bispectral index during day-surgery
R E Anderson
Department of Cardiothoracic Anaesthetics and Intensive Care, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Anaesthesiol 23:208-12. 2006
..Which monitor is the more dependable remains to be established and cannot be implied from this initial explorative study...
- Propofol/remifentanil vs sevoflurane/remifentanil for long lasting surgical procedures: a randomised controlled trial
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Schwanenweg 21, D 24105, Kiel, Germany
Anaesthesia 61:752-7. 2006
..The shorter time to extubation in the propofol group does not offer a relevant clinical advantage...
- The impact of intraoperative propofol administration in the prevention of postoperative pruritus induced by epidural morphine
University of Athens, Attikon Hospital, School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Eur J Anaesthesiol 23:418-21. 2006
..CONCLUSION: Propofol-based general anaesthesia compared to thiopental-sevoflurane-based anaesthesia reduces the incidence and severity of pruritus induced by a single injection of 3 mg epidural morphine with ropivacaine...
- The effects of magnesium sulphate on sevoflurane minimum alveolar concentrations and haemodynamic responses
Inonu University, School of Medicine, Department of Anaesthesiology, Malatya, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 23:54-9. 2006
..CONCLUSIONS: Magnesium sulphate administered before induction of anaesthesia increases MAC of sevoflurane and reduces cardiovascular responses to intubation...
- Anesthetic implications for video assisted thoracoscopic thymectomy in myasthenia gravis
Abdelazeem A El-Dawlatly
Department of Anesthesia, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudia Arabia
Middle East J Anesthesiol 18:339-45. 2005
..Two cases of MG underwent VATT under general anesthesia (GA) and one lung ventilation (OLV) using double lumen tube (DLT)...
- Comparison of the time to extubation after use of remifentanil or sufentanil in combination with propofol as anesthesia in adults undergoing nonemergency intracranial surgery: a prospective, randomized, double-blind trial
Marie Christine Djian
Department of Neuro Anaesthesia and Neuro Intensive Care, Sainte Anne Hospital, Paris, France
Clin Ther 28:560-8. 2006
- Undiagnosed catecholamine-secreting paraganglioma and coexisting carcinoid in a patient with MH susceptibility: an unusual anesthetic challenge
Department of Anesthesia, Tufts New England Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Anesth 21:80-2. 2007
..The latter mechanism may be useful to avert the risk of the propofol infusion syndrome occurring as a consequence of a high cumulative dose following its prolonged administration...
- Monitoring with EEG entropy decreases propofol requirement and maintains cardiovascular stability during induction of anaesthesia in elderly patients
King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Department of Anesthesia, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:684-8. 2007
..The aim of this study is to demonstrate the effect of electroencephalographic entropy on propofol requirement and haemodynamic parameters during induction of anaesthesia in elderly patients...
- Bupivacaine caudal epidural anesthesia: assessing the effect of general anesthetic technique on block onset
P M Ingelmo
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, A O San Gerardo, Monza, Italy
Paediatr Anaesth 17:255-62. 2007
..As a secondary objective, we aimed at evaluating the influence of age on neuraxial block profile...
- Anesthesia for laparoscopic cholecystectomy: comparative evaluation--desflurane/sevoflurane vs. propofol
Ankara Numune Training and Research National Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Middle East J Anesthesiol 19:553-62. 2007
..Early recovery time was shortest in group D, while delayed recovery time had no differences. It may be said that these anesthetic drugs have no statistically significant difference for PONV and delayed recovery...
- Bispectral index monitored balanced anesthesia technique for pheochromocytoma resection
Madan Mohan Maddali
Department of Anesthesia, Royal Hospital, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Paediatr Anaesth 17:688-92. 2007
..By titration of anesthesia depth, the stress response during resection could be avoided as well as postresection hypotension, without resort to additional pharmacological manipulation...
- Extubation time, hemodynamic stability, and postoperative pain control in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery: an evaluation of fentanyl, remifentanil, and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs with propofol for perioperative and postoperativ
Madan Mohan Maddali
Department of Anesthesia, Royal Hospital, Muscat 131 111, Oman
J Clin Anesth 18:605-10. 2006
..To compare three anesthetic strategies with respect to the time of extubation after coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery and to assess patient satisfaction with the procedure...
- Scurvy: a disease of anesthetic interest? Scurvy and anesthesia
Paediatr Anaesth 18:672-3. 2008
- Effects of intravenous lidocaine on QTd and HRV changes due to tracheal intubation during sevoflurane induction
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Faculty of Medicine, Adnan Menderes University, Aydin, Turkey
Int Heart J 47:597-606. 2006
..014, P = 0.041, respectively). Under the influence of sevoflurane anaesthesia, TI resulted in sympathetic activation. However, this activation was attenuated by the administration of IV 1 mg kg(-1) lidocaine 5 minutes prior to TI...