Summary: A blocking of nerve conduction to a specific area by an injection of an anesthetic agent.
Publications310 found, 100 shown here
- Inguinal versus subinguinal varicocele vein ligation using magnifying loupe under local anesthesia: which technique is preferable in clinical practice?Paolo Gontero
Clinica Urologica, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Urology 66:1075-9. 2005..To compare the intraoperative results of inguinal versus subinguinal varicocelectomy using magnifying loupe, in terms of vein ligation and arterial preservation, recurrence rate, and patient tolerability...
- Dexmedetomidine during local anesthesiaMahmoud I M Abdalla
Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
J Anesth 20:54-6. 2006..The study revealed that dexmedetomidine in the studied dose has a sedative effect, provides safe control of heart rate and blood pressure, and also decreases intraocular pressure during ophthalmic surgery under local anesthesia.
- The use of local anesthesia with N-DO injector (Physion) for transurethral resection (TUR) of bladder tumors and bladder mapping: preliminary results and cost-effectiveness analysisMaurizio A Brausi
Department of Urology, AUSL Modena, Modena, Italy
Eur Urol 52:1407-11. 2007We evaluated feasibility of TUR of Ta-T1 TCC of the bladder or bladder mapping under local anesthesia using a Physion endoinjector to see if correct tumor staging was possible, to check patient tolerability, and to analyze cost-..
- Effect of local anesthesia on trabeculectomy successNoa Geffen
Ophthalmology Department, University Health Network
J Glaucoma 17:658-61. 2008..To compare the long-term results of trabeculectomy surgery with subconjunctival anesthesia versus topical lidocaine 2% jelly...
- Intraprostatic local anesthesia with periprostatic nerve block for transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsyLiu Bingqian
Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou, Henan Province, China
J Urol 182:479-83; discussion 483-4. 2009..We compared the pain control results of periprostatic nerve block alone vs periprostatic nerve block with intraprostatic anesthesia as local anesthesia for prostate biopsy.
- Anterior tension-free repair under local anesthesia of abdominal wall hernias in continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis patientsE Gianetta
Department of Surgery DICMI School of Medicine, University of Genova, Largo Rosanna Benzi 8, 1 16132 Genova, Italy
Hernia 8:354-7. 2004..experience of abdominal wall hernia repair performed with anterior tension-free mesh or plug technique under local anesthesia in end-stage renal failure patients submitted to continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) is ..
- Optimizing local anesthesia during 10-core biopsy of the prostateM Schostak
Department of Urology, University Hospital Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Urology 60:253-7. 2002..Reports thus far have shown a high variability in assessing the pain intensity of prostate biopsies and the effectiveness of anesthesia...
- A laparoscopic approach under local anesthesia for peritoneal dialysis accessJ H Crabtree
Department of Surgery, Southern California Permanente Medical Group, Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center, 90706, USA
Perit Dial Int 20:757-65. 2000..Presented herein is a technical description of a time-proven laparoscopic approach to establishing successful long-term peritoneal dialysis access...
- Carotid endarterectomy under local anesthesia in elderly: is it worthwhile?B Amato
Department of General and Geriatric Surgery, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Acta Biomed 76:64-8. 2005..5%). Surgery for carotid artery occlusive disease under local anaesthesia can be safely performed in selected patients of more than 75 yr of age...
- Effect of intraprostatic local anesthesia during transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy: comparison of 3 methods in a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trialHo Yun Lee
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
J Urol 178:469-72; discussion 472. 2007..We evaluated the effect of intracapsular anesthesia and periprostatic nerve block during transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy...
- Needle and trocar injuries in diagnostic laparoscopy under local anesthesia: what is the true incidence of these complications?Rocco Orlando
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 13:181-4. 2003..Simply reporting complications as major or minor on the basis of the follow-up does not allow laparoscopists to understand their true incidence completely...
- Percutaneous cryoablation of small pulmonary malignant tumors under computed tomographic guidance with local anesthesia for nonsurgical candidatesMasafumi Kawamura
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:1007-13. 2006..Cryoablation of pulmonary metastases might be a useful therapy for nonsurgical candidates...
- Impact of general versus local anesthesia on early postoperative cognitive dysfunction following carotid endarterectomy: GALA Study Subgroup AnalysisChristian Friedrich Weber
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
World J Surg 33:1526-32. 2009..Therefore, we performed a subgroup analysis of the multicenter GALA study...
- A meta-analysis of local anesthesia for transrectal ultrasound-guided biopsy of the prostateH Y Tiong
Department of Urology, National University Hospital, Singapore, Singapore
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 10:127-36. 2007....
- Tetrodotoxin for prolonged local anesthesia with minimal myotoxicityRobert F Padera
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Muscle Nerve 34:747-53. 2006..Epinephrine did not worsen TTX's relatively minimal cytotoxicity. Tetrodotoxin may thus be useful in producing prolonged nerve block with minimal myotoxicity and perhaps neurotoxicity...
- A single-surgeon randomized trial comparing three composite meshes on chronic pain after Lichtenstein hernia repair in local anesthesiaH Paajanen
Department of General Surgery, The Central Hospital of Mikkeli, Porrassalmenkatu 35 37, 50100 Mikkeli, Finland
Hernia 11:335-9. 2007..Chronic pain may be a long-term problem related to operative trauma and mesh material in Lichtenstein hernioplasty...
- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy using local anesthesia with intravenous sedation and targeted approachesMaisie L Shindo
SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 138:381-7. 2008Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy (MIP) is generally performed under general anesthesia. This study evaluates the efficacy and safety of MIP performed under intravenous sedation with local anesthesia.
- Randomized prospective study of periprostatic local anesthesia during transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsyIssac Kaver
Department of Urology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Urology 59:405-8. 2002..To prospectively evaluate the efficacy of apical and lateral periprostatic lidocaine injection as anesthesia during transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy...
- An ambulatory surgical procedure under local anesthesia for treatment of female urinary incontinenceU Ulmsten
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Akademiska sjukhuset, Uppsala University, Sweden
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 7:81-5; discussion 85-6. 1996..modified intravaginal slingplasty for the surgical treatment of female stress incontinence, carried out under local anesthesia as a day procedure...
- Laparoscopic peritoneal dialysis catheter implantation using a Tenckhoff trocar under local anesthesia with nitrous oxide gas insufflationAmir Keshvari
Department of Surgery, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Am J Surg 197:8-13. 2009..The ability to perform laparoscopy with the patient under local anesthesia allows renal failure patients, who ordinarily might not be considered candidates for general anesthesia, an ..
- Thyroidectomy using local anesthesia: a report of 1,025 cases over 16 yearsKathryn Spanknebel
Division of General Surgery, The New York Thyroid Center, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, USA
J Am Coll Surg 201:375-85. 2005Thyroid surgery is performed using general anesthesia by the majority of surgeons in current practice. This study was conducted to analyze the utility and safety of local anesthesia for thyroid surgery.
- 2-year followup pressure flow studies of prostate photoselective vaporization using local anesthesia with sedationJohn Martin Pedersen
Department of Surgery, St Olav s University Hospital, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
J Urol 181:1794-9. 2009We report 2-year pressure flow studies and other clinical outcomes of photoselective prostate vaporization with the patient under general or spinal anesthesia vs local anesthesia with sedation.
- Preinsertion local anesthesia at the trocar site improves perioperative pain and decreases costs of laparoscopic cholecystectomyN W Hasaniya
Department of Surgery, Lee County Community Hospital, Medical Arts Building Suite 2, West Alternative Highway 58, Pennington Gap, VA 24277
Surg Endosc 15:962-4. 2001b>Local anesthesia at the trocar site in laparoscopic cholecystectomy is expected to decrease postoperative pain and hence expedite recovery...
- Four-step local anesthesia and sedation for thoracoscopic diagnosis and management of pleural diseasesMarcello Migliore
Section of General Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Chest 121:2032-5. 2002Most thoracic surgeons perform thoracoscopy under general anesthesia using a double-lumen endotracheal tube. We describe our own technique for performing thoracoscopy under local anesthesia and sedation.
- Use of a new local anesthesia--intracorpus spongiosum anesthesia--in procedures on anterior urethraGang Ye
Department of Urology, Xinqiao Hospital, The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Int J Urol 12:365-8. 2005..The aim of the present study was to determine the efficacy of intracorpus spongiosum anesthesia during procedures on anterior urethra in the outpatient clinic...
- Sensory innervation of mandibular teeth by the nerve to the mylohyoid: implications in local anesthesiaPamela Stein
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Chandler Medical Center, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Clin Anat 20:591-5. 2007..This may prevent profound local anesthesia of the mandibular teeth and may account, at least in part, for the high failure rate of the inferior alveolar ..
- Prostate innervation and local anesthesia in prostate proceduresAlexandre Oliveira Rodrigues
Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine of the ABC, Brazil
Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo 57:287-92. 2002..the human prostate is very abundant, and knowledge of the anatomy contributes to successful administration of local anesthesia. However, the exact anatomy of extrinsic neuronal cell bodies of the autonomic and sensory innervation of the ..
- Combined analgesia and local anesthesia to minimize pain during circumcisionA Taddio
Department of Pharmacy, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 154:620-3. 2000..Pain of circumcision is only partially relieved by single modalities, such as penile nerve block, lidocaine-prilocaine cream, and sucrose pacifiers...
- The advancement of pure local anesthesia for penile surgeries: can an outpatient basis be sustainable?Geng Long Hsu
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, 424, Ba De Road, Sec 2, Taipei, Taiwan
J Androl 28:200-5. 2007..We report on several methods of topical blocks for local anesthesia in patients with indications for penile surgeries...
- Local anesthesia reduces pain associated with transrectal prostatic biopsy. A prospective randomized studyAlberto Trucchi
Urology Unit, Ospedale Sant Andrea, II Faculty of Medicine, La Sapienza, University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Urol Int 74:209-13. 2005..To test the hypothesis that periprostatic block could completely relief prostatic biopsy-associated pain...
- Delayed onset of altered sensation following dental implant placement and mental block local anesthesia: a case reportDennis Flanagan
Implant Dent 11:324-30. 2002..The altered sensation was probably caused by the mental block anesthetic technique. The partial anesthetic area in this case was probably a result of crossover innervation from the contralateral mental nerve...
- Combined periprostatic and intraprostatic local anesthesia for prostate biopsy: a double-blind, placebo controlled, randomized trialKamil Cam
Department of Urology, Duzce University Medical School, Duzce, Turkey
J Urol 180:141-4; discussion 144-5. 2008..We prospectively evaluated the contribution of intraprostatic anesthesia for transrectal prostate biopsies even when the sampling number was doubled to 12 cores...
- Extracorporeal shock wave therapy without local anesthesia for chronic lateral epicondylitisFrank A Pettrone
Commonwealth Orthopaedics, 1635 North George Mason Drive, Suite 310, Arlington, VA 22205, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:1297-304. 2005..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the use of extracorporeal shock wave therapy without local anesthesia to treat chronic lateral epicondylitis.
- Can the Iowa Satisfaction with Anesthesia Scale be used to measure patient satisfaction with cataract care under topical local anesthesia and monitored sedation at a community hospital?Donald Fung
North Bay General Hospital, 750 Scollard, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Anesth Analg 100:1637-43. 2005..the Iowa Satisfaction with Anesthesia Scale (ISAS) to measure satisfaction with cataract care under topical local anesthesia and monitored sedation given by an anesthesiologist at a community hospital...
- Minimal invasive lymphaticovenular anastomosis under local anesthesia for leg lymphedema: is it effective for stage III and IV?Isao Koshima
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
Ann Plast Surg 53:261-6. 2004This is the first report on the effectiveness of minimal invasive lymphaticovenular anastomosis under local anesthesia for leg lymphedema...
- What determines patient satisfaction with cataract care under topical local anesthesia and monitored sedation in a community hospital setting?Donald Fung
North Bay General Hospital, 750 Scollard, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Anesth Analg 100:1644-50. 2005..We used the ISAS to discover determinants of patient satisfaction with cataract care under topical local anesthesia and monitored sedation in a small community hospital...
- Recent developments in local anesthesia and oral sedationJohn A Yagiela
Division of Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, California, USA
Compend Contin Educ Dent 25:697-706; quiz 708. 2004..The recent administration of triazolam in multiple doses has extended the availability of anxiety control to many dental patients, but unknowns about the safety of the technique as practiced by some dentists remains a concern...
- Transurethral cystolithotripsy with holmium laser under local anesthesia in selected patientsCengiz Kara
Department of Urology, Ministry of Health, Kecioren Training and Research Hospital, Kecioren, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 74:1000-3. 2009To evaluate the feasibility and effectiveness of transurethral holmium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet (YAG) laser cystolithotripsy under local anesthesia in selected patients.
- Multiple Z-plasty in pilonidal sinus--a new technique under local anesthesiaPradeep Purushottam Sharma
Department of Surgery, Bharati Vidyapeeth Medical College and Hospital, Jehangir Hospital, Sassoon Road, Pune, Maharashtra, 411001, India
World J Surg 30:2261-5. 2006..Many procedures have been tried, ranging from nonsurgical to surgical methods (both conservative and radical ones). It is well known that recurrences are low when the scar is away from the midline...
- Exogenous and endogenous plasma levels of epinephrine during dental treatment under local anesthesiaM Lipp
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Universitat Mainz, Germany
Reg Anesth 18:6-12. 1993To determine serum levels of catecholamines after local anesthesia for dental treatment, we used tritium-labeled epinephrine as a vasoconstrictor for dental local anesthesia.
- Local anesthesia strategies for the patient with a "hot" toothJohn M Nusstein
Division of Endodontics, The Ohio State University College of Dentistry, 305 West 12th Avenue, Room 3058, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Dent Clin North Am 54:237-47. 2010Attaining local anesthesia for the treatment of teeth diagnosed with irreversible pulpitis ("hot" tooth) can be a challenge...
- Local anesthesia using buffered 0.5% lidocaine with 1:200,000 epinephrine for tumors of the digits treated with Mohs micrographic surgeryBahar Firoz
DermSurgery Associates, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 61:639-43. 2009Several specialties and textbooks continue to advocate that local anesthesia using epinephrine should not be used during surgery involving the digits.
- Safety of liposuction using exclusively tumescent local anesthesia in 3,240 consecutive casesLouis Habbema
Department of Dermatology, Medisch Centrum t Gooi, Bussum, The Netherlands
Dermatol Surg 35:1728-35. 2009Many surgeons consider liposuction using tumescent local anesthesia (TLA) to be a safe technique, but when TLA has been combined with other techniques, such as general anesthesia or intravenous medication, or when the guidelines ..
- [Influence of local anesthesia and energy level on the clinical outcome of extracorporeal shock wave-treatment of chronic plantar fasciitis]G Labek
Orthopädische Abteilung, Allgemeines Krankenhaus Linz, Osterreich
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 143:240-6. 2005The efficacy of low energy extracorporeal shock wave treatment (ESWT) for chronic plantar fasciitis is discussed controversially. It is unclear whether the simultaneous application of local anesthesia (LA) interferes with clinical outcome.
- Complications and limitations related to periprostatic local anesthesia before TRUS-guided prostate biopsyAhmet T Turgut
Department of Radiology, Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Ankara 06590, Turkey
J Clin Ultrasound 36:67-71. 2008..To assess the frequency of complications specifically related to local anesthetic infiltration prior to transrectal ultrasound (TRUS)-guided prostate biopsy...
- Ureteroscopic removal of mildly migrated stents using local anesthesia onlyKostantinos E Livadas
Second Department of Urology, Athens Medical School, Sismanoglio Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Urol 178:1998-2001. 2007..In the outpatient office setting we evaluated the feasibility and efficacy of ureteroscopic removal of upward migrated ureteral stents using local or no anesthesia...
- Neuromonitoring of the external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve during minimally invasive thyroid surgery under local anesthesia: a prospective study of 10 patientsWilliam B Inabnet
Department of Surgery, Division of Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Surgery, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Laryngoscope 119:597-601. 2009..This study aims to assess feasibility and efficacy of a novel technique of neuromonitoring of the EBSLN under local anesthesia during minimally invasive thyroidectomy. STUDY DESIGN;
- Simple harmonic scalpel hemorrhoidectomy utilizing local anesthesia combined with intravenous sedation: a safe and rapid alternative to conventional hemorrhoidectomyLiam A Haveran
Section of Colon and Rectal Surgery, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:801-6. 2007..There was a trend toward performing hemorrhoid surgery as an ambulatory procedure using local anesthesia supplemented with intravenous sedation...
- Postoperative internal carotid artery restenosis after local anesthesia: presence of risk factors versus intraoperative shuntNarcis Hudorovic
Department of Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Sestre Milosrdnice, Vinogradska 29, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 11:182-4. 2010..At the same time local anesthesia reduced the shunt insertion rate...
- A randomized, controlled trial of the reciprocating procedure device for local anesthesiaSharon E Nunez
Department of Internal Medicine, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
J Emerg Med 35:119-25. 2008..new reciprocating procedure device (RPD) is superior to the conventional syringe for the administration of local anesthesia. There were 209 local lidocaine anesthesia procedures randomized between the RDP and the conventional syringe...
- Local anesthesia during 10 core biopsy of the prostate: comparison of 2 methodsKazuaki Mutaguchi
Division of Frontier Medical Science, Department of Urology, Programs for Biomedical Research, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
J Urol 173:742-5. 2005We investigated the effectiveness of a new method, intraprostatic administration of local anesthesia vs traditional periprostatic injection for decreasing the discomfort caused by transrectal ultrasound guided, 10 core biopsy of the ..
- Comparison of different local anesthesia techniques during TRUS-guided biopsies: a prospective pilot studySergey Kravchick
Department of Urology, Barzilai Medical Center, Ashkelon, Israel
Urology 65:109-13. 2005To introduce two forms of anesthesia and compare them with standard local anesthesia techniques.
- Radio-guided minimally invasive parathyroidectomy under local anesthesiaAssim Alfadda
Department of Internal Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
West Afr J Med 25:134-7. 2006..In an attempt to reduce operative time and decrease perioperative morbidity, we reported our experience with radio-guided minimally invasive parathyroidectomy (RMIP) under local anesthesia.
- Better short-term outcomes with the U-method compared with the Hammock technique for the implantation of the TVT-SECUR under local anesthesiaLouis Olivier Gagnon
Service d Urologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Sherbrooke CHUS, Universite de Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Urology 75:1060-4. 2010To observe the satisfaction of local anesthesia during the implantation of the tension-free vaginal tape (TVT)-SECUR (Gynecare, Ethicon, Somerville, NJ) for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence, using questionnaires completed by ..
- Advanced techniques and armamentarium for dental local anesthesiaTaylor M Clark
Dental Anesthesiology Residency Program, School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1668, USA
Dent Clin North Am 54:757-68. 2010..Supplementary IO anesthesia is particularly suited for providing effective pain control of teeth diagnosed with irreversible pulpitis...
- Effects of ring castration with local anesthesia and analgesia in Holstein calves at 3 months of age on welfare indicatorsS Marti
Department of Ruminant Production, Institut de Recerca i Tecnologia Agroalimentaries IRTA, and Animal Nutrition, Management, and Welfare Research Group, Torre Marimon, 08140 Caldes de Montbui, Barcelona, Spain
J Anim Sci 88:2789-96. 2010..Castration was performed with local anesthesia (2% lidocaine, 3 mL in each testis and 2 mL in the scrotum) and analgesia (flunixin meglumine, ..
- Local anesthesia use for laparoscopic cholecystectomyAydin Inan
Department of General Surgery, Fatih University School of Medicine, Fatih Universitesi Hastanesi, Alparslan Turkes Caddesi No 57, Bestepe, Emek, 06510, Ankara, Turkey
World J Surg 28:741-4. 2004This study aimed to investigate the effects and timing of local anesthesia during laparoscopic surgery in terms of postoperative pain, nausea, and the need for opioids and antiemetics...
- Efficacy of tumescent local anesthesia with variable lidocaine concentration in 3430 consecutive cases of liposuctionLouis Habbema
Medisch Centrum t Gooi, Bussum, and Erasmus MC Department of Dermatology, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Am Acad Dermatol 62:988-94. 2010Lidocaine toxicity is a potential complication related to using tumescent local anesthesia (TLA) as the exclusive form of pain management in surgical procedures.
- Renal capsular block: a novel method for performing percutaneous nephrolithotomy under local anesthesiaD Dalela
Department of Urology, CSM Medical University, Upgraded King George s Medical College, Lucknow UP, India
J Endourol 18:544-6. 2004..We evolved a technique to block renal capsular sensations by infiltration of lignocaine (lidocaine) at the site of renal entry, permitting the procedure to be done with local anesthesia.
- [Temporary suppression of tremor by remifentanil in a patient with Parkinson's disease during cataract extraction under local anesthesia]W Böhmdorfer
Abteilung für Anästhesie und Intensivmedizin, KA Rudolfstiftung Wien, Austria
Anaesthesist 52:795-7. 2003..A patient with Parkinson's disease refused both anti-Parkinson medication and general anaesthesia. Low dose remifentanil infusion suppressed her otherwise severe tremor, and the operation was performed uneventfully under local anaesthesia...
- Effect of ketoprofen, lidocaine local anesthesia, and combined xylazine and lidocaine caudal epidural anesthesia during castration of beef cattle on stress responses, immunity, growth, and behaviorS T L Ting
Teagasc, Grange Research Centre, Dunsany, Co Meath, Ireland
J Anim Sci 81:1281-93. 2003To determine the effects of burdizzo castration alone or in combination with ketoprofen (K), local anesthesia (LA), or caudal epidural anesthesia (EPI) on plasma cortisol, acute-phase proteins, interferon-gamma production, growth, and ..
- Local anesthesia for functional endoscopic sinus surgery employing small volumes of epinephrine-containing solutions of lidocaine produces profound hypotensionJ J Yang
Department of Anesthesiology, Jinling Hospital, Medical School of Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:1471-6. 2005....
- Comparison of oral and vaginal misoprostol for cervical ripening before manual vacuum aspiration of first trimester pregnancy under local anesthesia: a randomized placebo-controlled studyLeyla Cakir
Family Planning Clinic, SSK Social Security Organization Maternity and Women s Health Training Hospital, 06010 Ankara, Turkey
Contraception 71:337-42. 2005..mug vaginal misoprostol administration for cervical priming 3 h prior to manual vacuum aspiration (MVA) under local anesthesia for voluntary termination of pregnancy before 10 weeks of gestation in comparison with placebo oral or ..
- Local anesthesia for transurethral manipulations: is a transrectal periprostatic nerve block effective?Michael Muntener
Department of Urology, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
World J Urol 23:349-52. 2005..The mean pain score was 3.4 in group 1 and 3.9 in group 2. This difference was not statistically significant. We conclude that nerve block does not seem to reduce the pain associated with transurethral manipulations...
- The quaternary lidocaine derivative, QX-314, produces long-lasting local anesthesia in animal models in vivoTony K Y Lim
Vancouver General Hospital, British Columbia, Canada
Anesthesiology 107:305-11. 2007..However, several reports document that extracellular QX-314 application affects action potentials. Hence, the authors tested the hypothesis that QX-314 could produce local anesthesia in animal models in vivo.
- Is periprostatic local anesthesia for transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy associated with increased infectious or hemorrhagic complications? A prospective randomized trialCan Obek
Department of Urology, University of Istanbul Cerrahpasa School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
J Urol 168:558-61. 2002Periprostatic local anesthesia for prostate biopsy requires 2 or more extra needle punctures and injection of the local anesthetic through the highly colonized rectum...
- Outpatient varicocelectomy performed under local anesthesiaGeng Long Hsu
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, 424, Pa Te Road, Sec 2, Taipei 105, Taiwan, China
Asian J Androl 7:439-44. 2005To report a series of varicocelectomy performed under pure local anesthesia.
- Local anesthesia with 20-mL prilocaine infiltration: the ultimate point for analgesia during shockwave lithotripsy?Erdal Yilmaz
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Urology, University of Kirikkale, Kirikkale, Turkey
J Endourol 22:883-7. 2008..The effectiveness of 10 mL and 20 mL local prilocaine infiltration for analgesic purposes during shockwave lithotripsy (SWL) was compared, and the differences in pain intensity and need for additional analgesics were defined...
- Local anesthesia before transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy: comparison of 2 methods in a prospective, randomized clinical trialStéphane Mallick
Department of Urology, University Hospital, Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe, French West Indies, France
J Urol 171:730-3. 2004..We compared the analgesic efficacy of the rectal administration of lidocaine gel and lidocaine periprostatic infiltration prior to transrectal ultrasound guided prostatic biopsies...
- Arthroscopic release of the piriformis muscle under local anesthesia for piriformis syndromeAkira Dezawa
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Teikyo, Mizonokuchi Hospital, Kawasaki, Japan
Arthroscopy 19:554-7. 2003..This technique is useful for reducing postoperative pain and allows early return to activity...
- A simplified endoscopic third ventriculostomy under local anesthesiaP L Longatti
Department of Neurosurgery, Regional Hospital, Treviso, Italy
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 47:90-2. 2004..From September 1994 to December 2001, 24 neuroendoscopic procedures were performed under local anesthesia. Local infiltration was administered using a bupivacaine and lidocaine mixture...
- Cortical stimulation of language fields under local anesthesia: optimizing removal of brain lesions adjacent to speech areasRobson Luis Oliveira de Amorim
Division of Functional Neurosurgery, Department of Neurology, Clinics Hospital, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 66:534-8. 2008..We have assessed the safety and effectiveness of craniotomy under local anesthesia and monitored conscious sedation for the resection of lesions involving eloquent language cortex.
- Current trends in local anesthesia in cosmetic plastic surgery of the head and neck: results of a German national survey and observations on the use of ropivacaineTobias Koeppe
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Marienhospital Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 115:1723-30. 2005..at the national level the current practice in the use of local anesthetics in cosmetic head and neck surgery and to compare the results with the novel local anesthesia technique used in the authors' department over the past 2 years.
- Micro-orifice metabolic/bariatric surgery under IV sedation/local anesthesia: porcine feasibility studyHenry Buchwald
Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, MMC 290, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Obes Surg 20:500-5. 2010..approach has certain disadvantages that can be avoided by a technique for abdominal access via a micro-orifice incision under intravenous (IV) sedation/local anesthesia, without general anesthesia, insufflation, and intubation.
- Preemptive analgesia and local anesthesia as a supplement to general anesthesia: a reviewEliezer Kaufman
Department of Oral Medicine, The Hebrew University Hadassah School of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Anesth Prog 52:29-38. 2005General anesthesia (GA) and local anesthesia (LA) evolved on separate tracks. Procedures that could not be performed under LA were typically conducted under GA...
- The role of antibiotic prophylaxis on wound infection after mesh hernia repair under local anesthesia on an ambulatory basisAngel Celdrán
Department of General Surgery, Clínica Nuestra Señora de la Concepción Fundación Jiménez Díaz Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Hernia 8:20-2. 2004Mesh prosthesis, local anesthesia, and ambulatory care have been widely introduced in recent decades in the treatment of inguinal hernia. The use of antibiotic prophylaxis during open inguinal hernia repair has been controversial...
- Does local anesthesia decrease pain perception in women undergoing amniocentesis?Michael C Gordon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wilford Hall United Stated Air Force Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, TX, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 196:55.e1-4. 2007The null hypothesis is that local anesthesia does not decrease pain perception during amniocentesis.
- A randomized trial of outpatient hysteroscopy with and without intrauterine anesthesiaNadia Kabli
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 15:308-10. 2008..To evaluate the amount of pain during office hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy with and without intrauterine anesthesia...
- Early use of regional and local anesthesia in a combat environment may prevent the development of complex regional pain syndrome in wounded combatantsMichael G Jenson
PETC Research Group, Tulsa, OK 74137, USA
Mil Med 171:396-8. 2006..Standardized early interventions for patients with extremity wounds may prevent the onset of CRPS or at least reduce the severity or duration of the condition...
- Intraoperative local anesthesia decreases postoperative parenteral opioid requirements for transperitoneal laparoscopic renal and adrenal surgery: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled investigationHerkanwal S Khaira
Department of Urology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0330, USA
J Urol 172:1422-6. 2004To determine if local anesthesia decreases discomfort following laparoscopic upper retroperitoneal surgery, we performed a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study in which the port sites and hand assist incision were ..
- Spinal or local anesthesia in lichtenstein hernia repair: a randomized controlled trialRuben N van Veen
Department of Surgery, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg 247:428-33. 2008..Well-designed studies in this subject are important because of the gap or discrepancy between available scientific evidence and clinical practice...
- A randomized trial comparing local intracervical and combined local and paracervical anesthesia in outpatient hysteroscopyMohammed Al-Sunaidi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 14:153-5. 2007..To compare the amount of pain during and after hysteroscopy using local intracervical and combined local and paracervical anesthesia...
- Local Anesthesia With Monitored Anesthesia Care vs General Anesthesia in Thyroidectomy: A Randomized StudySamuel K Snyder
Department of Surgery, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine, Scott and White Clinic and Foundation, Temple, Tex 76508, USA
Arch Surg 141:167-73. 2006..However, recent descriptions of thyroidectomy under local anesthesia claim similar results to thyroidectomy under general anesthesia...
- Efficacy of lidocaine 2% gel in pterygium surgeryH Oksuz
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, Mustafa Kemal University, Hatay, Turkey
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 83:206-9. 2005..Anaesthesia during pterygium surgery is usually achieved with local injection of anaesthetic medications. The aim of this study was to determine whether lidocaine 2% gel is an effective topical anaesthetic agent for pterygium surgery...
- Excision of thrombosed external hemorrhoid under local anesthesia: a retrospective evaluation of 340 patientsJohannes Jongen
Proctological Office and Department of Surgical Proctology, Park Klinik, Kiel, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 46:1226-31. 2003This study was a retrospective analysis of complication rates, symptom recurrence, long-term results, and patient satisfaction after outpatient excision (local anesthesia) of thrombosed external hemorrhoids.
- Peribulbar versus retrobulbar anesthesia for ophthalmic surgery: an anatomical comparison of extraconal and intraconal injectionsJ Ripart
Laboratoire d Anatomie, Faculte de Medecine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Nimes, France
Anesthesiology 94:56-62. 2001..The existence of this septum is questioned. The aim of this study was to compare the spread of a colored latex dye injected intraconally or extraconally to simulate both retrobulbar and peribulbar anesthesia...
- Oral premedication for operations on the face under local anesthesia: a placebo-controlled double-blind trialG M Beer
Clinic for Hand, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Burn Center, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:637-43. 2001Modern strategies for preventing or controlling pain and anxiety demand a premedication for operations using local anesthesia and for those using sedation or general anesthesia...
- Thermal balloon ablation in myoma-induced menorrhagia under local anesthesiaM E Soysal
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pamukkale University Medical Center, Denizli, Turkey
Gynecol Obstet Invest 51:128-33. 2001....
- Groin hernia surgery: a systematic reviewC M Cheek
The Royal College of Surgeons of England
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 80:S1-80. 1998..It is uncertain which method is the best in terms of safety and effectiveness...
- [A prospective randomized study on inguinal hernia repair according to the Shouldice technique. Benefits of local anesthesia]B Friemert
Chirurgische Abteilung Leitender Arzt Prof Dr H Gerngross, Bundeswehrkrankenhaus Ulm
Chirurg 71:52-7. 2000The aim of this randomized controlled study was to show whether local anesthesia (LA) leads to a decrease of postoperative pain in inguinal hernia repair in comparison with general anesthesia (AA).
- The routine use of diagnostic laparoscopy in the intensive care unitA P Pecoraro
Department of Laparoscopic Surgery, Staten Island University Hospital, 475 Seaview Avenue, Staten Island, NY 10305, USA
Surg Endosc 15:638-41. 2001..CONCLUSION: We conclude that bedside laparoscopy in the ICU under local anesthesia is a diagnostic and potentially therapeutic tool that can be used safely in the work-up of potential ..
- A randomized, double-blind trial of pre-emptive local anesthesia in day-case knee arthroscopyDaniel J Fagan
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Weston General Hospital, Weston Super Mare, North Somerset, England
Arthroscopy 19:50-3. 2003..The study goal was to assess the efficacy of pre-emptive analgesia in a clinical setting...
- A comparison of minidose lidocaine-fentanyl spinal anesthesia and local anesthesia/propofol infusion for outpatient knee arthroscopyB Ben-David
Department of Anesthesiology, Allegheny General Hospital, 320 East North Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Anesth Analg 93:319-25, 2nd contents page. 2001..One hundred patients scheduled for outpatient knee arthroscopy were randomized to receive either local anesthesia plus a titrated IV propofol infusion (LA/PI) or SAB(MLF) using 20 mg lidocaine 0.5% + 20 microg fentanyl...
- Periprostatic local anesthesia eliminates pain of office-based transrectal prostate biopsyJ S Jones
Urological Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 6:53-5. 2003Up to 96% of patient who undergo prostate biopsy report pain. We performed periprostatic local anesthesia injection in an effort to improve patient acceptance of prostate biopsy...
- Can local anesthesia be recommended for routine use in elective knee arthroscopy? A comparison between local, spinal, and general anesthesiaE Jacobson
Artro Clinic, S t Görans Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Arthroscopy 16:183-90. 2000b>Local anesthesia (LA) for outpatient knee arthroscopy is not a standard procedure at most hospitals. To evaluate the LA technique for knee arthroscopy on medically healthy patients, this study compared 3 anesthesia techniques...
- Lidocaine 2% gel versus lidocaine 4% unpreserved drops for topical anesthesia in cataract surgery: a randomized controlled trialAntonio Bardocci
Divisione Oculistica, Ospedale San Pietro Fatebenefratelli, Rome, Italy
Ophthalmology 110:144-9. 2003..To compare intracameral levels and clinical efficacy of lidocaine 2% gel with lidocaine 4% unpreserved drops...
- Cardiovascular and sympathetic responses to dental surgery with local anesthesiaY Nakamura
Department of Internal Medicine, Kyushu Dental College, Kitakyushu, Japan
Hypertens Res 24:209-14. 2001..concentrations increased during dental surgery, and peak values of these variables were obtained after local anesthesia and during tooth extraction, respectively. Serum glucose level increased after local anesthesia (control vs...
- Prolonged duration local anesthesia with minimal toxicityHila Epstein-Barash
Laboratory for Biomaterials and Drug Delivery, Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Critical Care Medicine, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:7125-30. 2009..These results suggest that controlled release of STX and similar compounds can provide very prolonged nerve blocks with minimal systemic and local toxicity...
- Awake thyroidectomy under local anesthesia and dexmedetomidine infusionAnthony R Plunkett
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, 6900 Georgia Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20307, USA
Mil Med 174:100-2. 2009..gastro-esophageal reflux disease, and congestive heart failure undergoing an awake thyroidectomy under local anesthesia and a DEX infusion. The patient was given a loading dose of DEX of 1 mcg/kg and an infusion ranging from 0...
- Drainage of liver abscess via laparoscopic trocar with local anesthesiaCuneyt Kayaalp
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Turkey Yuksek Ihtisas Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 13:121-4. 2003..patient's permission was obtained, a laparoscopic trocar was inserted into the abscess with the patient under local anesthesia in the operating room...
- Long-term endothelial cell loss after phacoemulsification: peribulbar anesthesia versus intracameral lidocaine 1%: prospective randomized clinical trialTim Heuermann
Department of Ophthalmology, Charite, Faculty of Humboldt University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Cataract Refract Surg 28:639-43. 2002..To evaluate endothelial cell loss after phacoemulsification with posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation using peribulbar anesthesia or topical anesthesia combined with intracameral unpreserved lidocaine 1%...
- PATHOGENESIS AND TREATMENT OF NERVE BLOCK INJURIESRobert Myers; Fiscal Year: 1991..b>Local anesthesia and the early toxic effects will be distinguished from more slowly developing electrophysiological deficits ..
- NEW DERMAL ANESTHETICSVINCENT CIOFALO; Fiscal Year: 2003..The new compounds offer faster onset of anesthetic activity, deeper local anesthesia, and longer duration of anesthesia than EMLA...
- Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development AwKelly Young; Fiscal Year: 2004..African-American, and Mexican-American, undergoing painful medical procedures typically done with no or local anesthesia only (e.g...
- TRANSPLANTATION OF HUMAN BONE MARROW STROMAL CELLSItzhak Fischer; Fiscal Year: 2004..Human MSCs are easy to obtain from a patient under local anesthesia, provide a renewal population and can be used for autologous grafting...
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Therapies Treatment Consort*Claus Roehrborn; Fiscal Year: 2005..the relative efficacy and safety, as well as tolerability of these procedures in an outpatient setting under local anesthesia, and importantly, durability of the initial results over intermediate follow-up periods is lacking...
- Selective targeting of sodium channel blockers to pain-sensing neuronsBruce P Bean; Fiscal Year: 2010..of neurons, thus avoiding the motor paralysis and block of autonomic fibers that occurs with conventional local anesthesia. Besides allowing pain-specific local anesthesia (e.g...
- Selective targeting of sodium channel blockers to pain-sensing neuronsBruce P Bean; Fiscal Year: 2010..of neurons, thus avoiding the motor paralysis and block of autonomic fibers that occurs with conventional local anesthesia. Besides allowing pain-specific local anesthesia (e.g...
- Pediatric Percutaneous Cochlear Implantation Clinical Validation & ImplementationRobert F Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2010..the following six steps: (i) placing three bone-implanted fiducial markers/anchors surrounding the ear under local anesthesia in an out-patient setting, (ii) obtaining a clinically applicable CT scan, (iii) using the CT scan to plan a ..
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaRoland Staud; Fiscal Year: 2009..Either way, we will provide evidence that will characterize the role of local anesthesia, placebo analgesia, or both...
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaRoland Staud; Fiscal Year: 2007..Either way, we will provide evidence that will characterize the role of local anesthesia, placebo analgesia, or both...
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaROLAND M STAUD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Either way, we will provide evidence that will characterize the role of local anesthesia, placebo analgesia, or both...
- DISTRIBUTION AND ULTRASTRUCTURE OF DENTAL INNERVATIONMARGARET BYERS; Fiscal Year: 1993..from single fibers in alveolar nerve to analyze sensory properties of A and C fibers and their response to local anesthesia compared with contralateral control teeth...
- NATURAL HISTORY AND TREATMENT OUTCOME IN BRAIN AVMJP MOHR; Fiscal Year: 2005..on-the-table assessments of cerebral function derived from Behavior Science principles and undertaken with local anesthesia challenges using agents with differential effects on brain white and gray matter...
- EMBRYONIC DOPAMINE CELL IMPLANTS FOR PARKINSONISMCurt Freed; Fiscal Year: 1999..Under local anesthesia, all patients have four burrholes through the forehead...
- PROLONGED DURATION LOCAL ANESTHESIADANIEL KOHANE; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- PROLONGED DURATION LOCAL ANESTHESIADANIEL KOHANE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, we will study the effectiveness of prolonged duration local anesthesia in preventing or mitigating the development of pain-related behaviors and the rise in GAP-43 expression ..
- PROLONGED DURATION LOCAL ANESTHESIADaniel S Kohane; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- PROLONGED DURATION LOCAL ANESTHESIADANIEL KOHANE; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Sodium Channel Expression in Human TeethMichael Henry; Fiscal Year: 2009..from this study will further our knowledge regarding both basic pain mechanisms and the increased occurrence of local anesthesia failures in diseased teeth that can be a major deterrent for utilization of dental care.