Summary: A blocking of nerve conduction to a specific area by an injection of an anesthetic agent.
Publications332 found, 100 shown here
- Inguinal versus subinguinal varicocele vein ligation using magnifying loupe under local anesthesia: which technique is preferable in clinical practice?Paolo Gontero
Clinica Urologica, Universita del Piemonte Orientale, Novara, Italy
Urology 66:1075-9. 2005..To compare the intraoperative results of inguinal versus subinguinal varicocelectomy using magnifying loupe, in terms of vein ligation and arterial preservation, recurrence rate, and patient tolerability...
- Optimizing local anesthesia during 10-core biopsy of the prostateM Schostak
Department of Urology, University Hospital Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Urology 60:253-7. 2002..Reports thus far have shown a high variability in assessing the pain intensity of prostate biopsies and the effectiveness of anesthesia...
- Dexmedetomidine during local anesthesiaMahmoud I M Abdalla
Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
J Anesth 20:54-6. 2006..The study revealed that dexmedetomidine in the studied dose has a sedative effect, provides safe control of heart rate and blood pressure, and also decreases intraocular pressure during ophthalmic surgery under local anesthesia.
- The use of local anesthesia with N-DO injector (Physion) for transurethral resection (TUR) of bladder tumors and bladder mapping: preliminary results and cost-effectiveness analysisMaurizio A Brausi
Department of Urology, AUSL Modena, Modena, Italy
Eur Urol 52:1407-11. 2007We evaluated feasibility of TUR of Ta-T1 TCC of the bladder or bladder mapping under local anesthesia using a Physion endoinjector to see if correct tumor staging was possible, to check patient tolerability, and to analyze cost-..
- Effect of local anesthesia on trabeculectomy successNoa Geffen
Ophthalmology Department, University Health Network
J Glaucoma 17:658-61. 2008..To compare the long-term results of trabeculectomy surgery with subconjunctival anesthesia versus topical lidocaine 2% jelly...
- Serious complications of local anaesthesia for cataract surgery: a 1 year national survey in the United KingdomTom Eke
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Trust, Colney Lane, Norwich NR4 7UY, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 91:470-5. 2007..The techniques of sub-Tenon's, topical and topical-intracameral local anaesthesia (LA) have become common in routine practice...
- Local anesthesia with ropivacaine for patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomyYu Yin Liu
Department of Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, 5 Fu Hsing Street, Kwei Shan, Taoyuan, Taiwan, China
World J Gastroenterol 15:2376-80. 2009..To investigate the effect of pain relief after infusion of ropivacaine at port sites at the end of surgery...
- Effect of intraprostatic local anesthesia during transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy: comparison of 3 methods in a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trialHo Yun Lee
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
J Urol 178:469-72; discussion 472. 2007..We evaluated the effect of intracapsular anesthesia and periprostatic nerve block during transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy...
- Needle and trocar injuries in diagnostic laparoscopy under local anesthesia: what is the true incidence of these complications?Rocco Orlando
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 13:181-4. 2003..Simply reporting complications as major or minor on the basis of the follow-up does not allow laparoscopists to understand their true incidence completely...
- Intraprostatic local anesthesia with periprostatic nerve block for transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsyLiu Bingqian
Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou, Henan Province, China
J Urol 182:479-83; discussion 483-4. 2009..We compared the pain control results of periprostatic nerve block alone vs periprostatic nerve block with intraprostatic anesthesia as local anesthesia for prostate biopsy.
- Anterior tension-free repair under local anesthesia of abdominal wall hernias in continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis patientsE Gianetta
Department of Surgery DICMI School of Medicine, University of Genova, Largo Rosanna Benzi 8, 1 16132 Genova, Italy
Hernia 8:354-7. 2004..experience of abdominal wall hernia repair performed with anterior tension-free mesh or plug technique under local anesthesia in end-stage renal failure patients submitted to continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) is ..
- A single-surgeon randomized trial comparing three composite meshes on chronic pain after Lichtenstein hernia repair in local anesthesiaH Paajanen
Department of General Surgery, The Central Hospital of Mikkeli, Porrassalmenkatu 35 37, 50100 Mikkeli, Finland
Hernia 11:335-9. 2007..Chronic pain may be a long-term problem related to operative trauma and mesh material in Lichtenstein hernioplasty...
- Impact of general versus local anesthesia on early postoperative cognitive dysfunction following carotid endarterectomy: GALA Study Subgroup AnalysisChristian Friedrich Weber
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
World J Surg 33:1526-32. 2009..Therefore, we performed a subgroup analysis of the multicenter GALA study...
- A meta-analysis of local anesthesia for transrectal ultrasound-guided biopsy of the prostateH Y Tiong
Department of Urology, National University Hospital, Singapore, Singapore
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 10:127-36. 2007....
- Percutaneous cryoablation of small pulmonary malignant tumors under computed tomographic guidance with local anesthesia for nonsurgical candidatesMasafumi Kawamura
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:1007-13. 2006..Cryoablation of pulmonary metastases might be a useful therapy for nonsurgical candidates...
- The quaternary lidocaine derivative, QX-314, produces long-lasting local anesthesia in animal models in vivoTony K Y Lim
Vancouver General Hospital, British Columbia, Canada
Anesthesiology 107:305-11. 2007..However, several reports document that extracellular QX-314 application affects action potentials. Hence, the authors tested the hypothesis that QX-314 could produce local anesthesia in animal models in vivo.
- Laparoscopic peritoneal dialysis catheter implantation using a Tenckhoff trocar under local anesthesia with nitrous oxide gas insufflationAmir Keshvari
Department of Surgery, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Am J Surg 197:8-13. 2009..The ability to perform laparoscopy with the patient under local anesthesia allows renal failure patients, who ordinarily might not be considered candidates for general anesthesia, an ..
- Sentinel node biopsy in melanoma of the trunk and the extremities in tumescent local anesthesiaKlaus Eichhorn
University Hospital Leipzig, Department of Dermatology, Dermatologic Surgery Unit, Leipzig, Germany
Dermatol Surg 30:253-6. 2004The sentinel node biopsy (SNB) of axilla and groin is a common staging procedure and can be done in both general anesthesia and local anesthesia.
- Tumescent local anesthesia for a revascularization of a coronary subclavian steal syndromeTaketomo Mizukami
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Onomichi General Hospital, Hiroshima, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 13:352-4. 2007Tumescent local anesthesia (TLA), originally developed for liposuction, has found widespread application. We report a case of peripheral arterial bypass grafting under TLA...
- Endovascular repair of acute AAAs under local anesthesia with bifurcated endografts: a feasibility studyEric L G Verhoeven
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Groningen, The Netherlands
J Endovasc Ther 9:729-35. 2002To evaluate endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) under local anesthesia in the acute setting.
- Transcerebellar stereotactic biopsy for lesions of the brainstem and peduncles under local anesthesiaNader Sanai
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California CA 94143 0112, USA
Neurosurgery 63:460-6; discussion 466-8. 2008For certain brainstem lesions, a diagnostic biopsy is required for treatment planning. We reviewed the indications, safety, and diagnostic effectiveness of a transcerebellar stereotactic biopsy using local anesthesia and sedation.
- Prolonged duration local anesthesia with minimal toxicityHila Epstein-Barash
Laboratory for Biomaterials and Drug Delivery, Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Critical Care Medicine, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:7125-30. 2009..These results suggest that controlled release of STX and similar compounds can provide very prolonged nerve blocks with minimal systemic and local toxicity...
- Evaluation of continuous infusion of 0.5% bupivacaine by elastomeric pump for postoperative pain management after open inguinal hernia repairKarl A LeBlanc
Surgical Specialty Group Inc, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
J Am Coll Surg 200:198-202. 2005..Postoperative pain management and narcotic usage after inguinal hernia repair is an important concern for anesthesiologists and surgeons. Regional anesthesia incisional infiltration techniques may reduce the need for systemic medications...
- Periprostatic local anesthesia before ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy: an update of the miami experienceA Vaidya
Department of Urology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Fla 33101, USA
Eur Urol 40:135-8. 2001..Pain or discomfort associated with this procedure has been addressed recently by the use of periprostatic local anesthesia. We re-address this issue with an update of our experience and emphasize the crucial steps that contribute to ..
- Changes in Heart Rate Variability in patients under local anesthesiaK Shafqat
School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, City University, London, EC1V 0HB, UK
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:299-302. 2007..Using this methodology electrocardiogram (ECG) signals from 14 patients undergoing local anesthesia (brachial plexus block) were analyzed with parametric Autoregressive (AR) method...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery utilizing local anesthesia and sedation: 384 consecutive casesMark R Katlic
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Geisinger Health System, Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 90:240-5. 2010..There are risks to such anesthesia and some operations may not require general anesthesia or intubation. We elected to study the safety and efficacy of VATS utilizing local anesthesia, sedation, and spontaneous ventilation.
- Breast reduction using liposuction with tumescent local anesthesia and powered cannulasLouis Habbema
Medisch Centrum t Gooi, Bussum, The Netherlands
Dermatol Surg 35:41-50; discussion 50-2. 2009..There is, therefore, a need for an effective technique that produces fewer of these undesirable features...
- Pain perception during transrectal ultrasound guided prostate needle biopsy: an objective analysis of local anesthesia useB N Stirling
Department of Urology, Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Metropolitan Hospital of Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 5:209-11. 2002..Patients were assigned to two groups: Group 1 received no local anesthesia and Group 2 received a periprostatic injection of 5 ml 1% lidocaine solution (2...
- Local anesthesia for the ophthalmic surgery. Select the best technique for your patientMansoor Aqil
Department of Anesthesiology, King Abdul Aziz University Hospital, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 31:605-14. 2010The majority of the ophthalmic surgical procedures are performed under local anesthesia as it provides excellent operating conditions for the surgery...
- Thyroidectomy using local anesthesia: a report of 1,025 cases over 16 yearsKathryn Spanknebel
Division of General Surgery, The New York Thyroid Center, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, USA
J Am Coll Surg 201:375-85. 2005Thyroid surgery is performed using general anesthesia by the majority of surgeons in current practice. This study was conducted to analyze the utility and safety of local anesthesia for thyroid surgery.
- S-100B release during carotid endarterectomy under local anesthesiaMarko Aleksic
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Visceral and Vascular Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Ann Vasc Surg 21:571-5. 2007..the study was to evaluate whether cross-clamping of the carotid artery for carotid endarterectomy (CEA) under local anesthesia is associated with the same S-100B release pattern as during general anesthesia, where an increase in S-100B ..
- A laparoscopic approach under local anesthesia for peritoneal dialysis accessJ H Crabtree
Department of Surgery, Southern California Permanente Medical Group, Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Center, 90706, USA
Perit Dial Int 20:757-65. 2000..Presented herein is a technical description of a time-proven laparoscopic approach to establishing successful long-term peritoneal dialysis access...
- Total mastectomy under local anesthesia: the tumescent techniqueGrant W Carlson
Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Breast J 11:100-2. 2005..Four patients (mean age 72 years, range 61-95 years) underwent a unilateral total mastectomy for cancer under local anesthesia using the tumescent technique of infiltrating dilute lidocaine with epinephrine (25 ml of 1% lidocaine [250 ..
- Hypertension: classification, pathophysiology, and management during outpatient sedation and local anesthesiaStephen Wilford Holm
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Carle Foundation Hospital, Urbana, IL, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:111-21. 2006
- Minimally invasive orbital decompression: local anesthesia and hand-carved boneGuy J Ben Simon
Jules Stein Eye Institute and Department of Ophthalmology, The David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 7006, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 123:1671-5. 2005....
- Four-step local anesthesia and sedation for thoracoscopic diagnosis and management of pleural diseasesMarcello Migliore
Section of General Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
Chest 121:2032-5. 2002Most thoracic surgeons perform thoracoscopy under general anesthesia using a double-lumen endotracheal tube. We describe our own technique for performing thoracoscopy under local anesthesia and sedation.
- Use of a new local anesthesia--intracorpus spongiosum anesthesia--in procedures on anterior urethraGang Ye
Department of Urology, Xinqiao Hospital, The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
Int J Urol 12:365-8. 2005..The aim of the present study was to determine the efficacy of intracorpus spongiosum anesthesia during procedures on anterior urethra in the outpatient clinic...
- Sensory innervation of mandibular teeth by the nerve to the mylohyoid: implications in local anesthesiaPamela Stein
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Chandler Medical Center, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Clin Anat 20:591-5. 2007..This may prevent profound local anesthesia of the mandibular teeth and may account, at least in part, for the high failure rate of the inferior alveolar ..
- Combined analgesia and local anesthesia to minimize pain during circumcisionA Taddio
Department of Pharmacy, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 154:620-3. 2000..Pain of circumcision is only partially relieved by single modalities, such as penile nerve block, lidocaine-prilocaine cream, and sucrose pacifiers...
- Prostate innervation and local anesthesia in prostate proceduresAlexandre Oliveira Rodrigues
Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine of the ABC, Brazil
Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo 57:287-92. 2002..the human prostate is very abundant, and knowledge of the anatomy contributes to successful administration of local anesthesia. However, the exact anatomy of extrinsic neuronal cell bodies of the autonomic and sensory innervation of the ..
- The advancement of pure local anesthesia for penile surgeries: can an outpatient basis be sustainable?Geng Long Hsu
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, 424, Ba De Road, Sec 2, Taipei, Taiwan
J Androl 28:200-5. 2007..We report on several methods of topical blocks for local anesthesia in patients with indications for penile surgeries...
- Preinsertion local anesthesia at the trocar site improves perioperative pain and decreases costs of laparoscopic cholecystectomyN W Hasaniya
Department of Surgery, Lee County Community Hospital, Medical Arts Building Suite 2, West Alternative Highway 58, Pennington Gap, VA 24277
Surg Endosc 15:962-4. 2001b>Local anesthesia at the trocar site in laparoscopic cholecystectomy is expected to decrease postoperative pain and hence expedite recovery...
- 2-year followup pressure flow studies of prostate photoselective vaporization using local anesthesia with sedationJohn Martin Pedersen
Department of Surgery, St Olav s University Hospital, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
J Urol 181:1794-9. 2009We report 2-year pressure flow studies and other clinical outcomes of photoselective prostate vaporization with the patient under general or spinal anesthesia vs local anesthesia with sedation.
- Exogenous and endogenous plasma levels of epinephrine during dental treatment under local anesthesiaM Lipp
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Universitat Mainz, Germany
Reg Anesth 18:6-12. 1993To determine serum levels of catecholamines after local anesthesia for dental treatment, we used tritium-labeled epinephrine as a vasoconstrictor for dental local anesthesia.
- Local anesthesia reduces pain associated with transrectal prostatic biopsy. A prospective randomized studyAlberto Trucchi
Urology Unit, Ospedale Sant Andrea, II Faculty of Medicine, La Sapienza, University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Urol Int 74:209-13. 2005..To test the hypothesis that periprostatic block could completely relief prostatic biopsy-associated pain...
- Recent developments in local anesthesia and oral sedationJohn A Yagiela
Division of Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, California, USA
Compend Contin Educ Dent 25:697-706; quiz 708. 2004..The recent administration of triazolam in multiple doses has extended the availability of anxiety control to many dental patients, but unknowns about the safety of the technique as practiced by some dentists remains a concern...
- Minimal invasive lymphaticovenular anastomosis under local anesthesia for leg lymphedema: is it effective for stage III and IV?Isao Koshima
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan
Ann Plast Surg 53:261-6. 2004This is the first report on the effectiveness of minimal invasive lymphaticovenular anastomosis under local anesthesia for leg lymphedema...
- Local anesthesia strategies for the patient with a "hot" toothJohn M Nusstein
Division of Endodontics, The Ohio State University College of Dentistry, 305 West 12th Avenue, Room 3058, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Dent Clin North Am 54:237-47. 2010Attaining local anesthesia for the treatment of teeth diagnosed with irreversible pulpitis ("hot" tooth) can be a challenge...
- Can the Iowa Satisfaction with Anesthesia Scale be used to measure patient satisfaction with cataract care under topical local anesthesia and monitored sedation at a community hospital?Donald Fung
North Bay General Hospital, 750 Scollard, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Anesth Analg 100:1637-43. 2005..the Iowa Satisfaction with Anesthesia Scale (ISAS) to measure satisfaction with cataract care under topical local anesthesia and monitored sedation given by an anesthesiologist at a community hospital...
- What determines patient satisfaction with cataract care under topical local anesthesia and monitored sedation in a community hospital setting?Donald Fung
North Bay General Hospital, 750 Scollard, North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Anesth Analg 100:1644-50. 2005..We used the ISAS to discover determinants of patient satisfaction with cataract care under topical local anesthesia and monitored sedation in a small community hospital...
- Extracorporeal shock wave therapy without local anesthesia for chronic lateral epicondylitisFrank A Pettrone
Commonwealth Orthopaedics, 1635 North George Mason Drive, Suite 310, Arlington, VA 22205, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:1297-304. 2005..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the use of extracorporeal shock wave therapy without local anesthesia to treat chronic lateral epicondylitis.
- Multiple Z-plasty in pilonidal sinus--a new technique under local anesthesiaPradeep Purushottam Sharma
Department of Surgery, Bharati Vidyapeeth Medical College and Hospital, Jehangir Hospital, Sassoon Road, Pune, Maharashtra, 411001, India
World J Surg 30:2261-5. 2006..Many procedures have been tried, ranging from nonsurgical to surgical methods (both conservative and radical ones). It is well known that recurrences are low when the scar is away from the midline...
- Transurethral cystolithotripsy with holmium laser under local anesthesia in selected patientsCengiz Kara
Department of Urology, Ministry of Health, Kecioren Training and Research Hospital, Kecioren, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 74:1000-3. 2009To evaluate the feasibility and effectiveness of transurethral holmium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet (YAG) laser cystolithotripsy under local anesthesia in selected patients.
- Safety of liposuction using exclusively tumescent local anesthesia in 3,240 consecutive casesLouis Habbema
Department of Dermatology, Medisch Centrum t Gooi, Bussum, The Netherlands
Dermatol Surg 35:1728-35. 2009Many surgeons consider liposuction using tumescent local anesthesia (TLA) to be a safe technique, but when TLA has been combined with other techniques, such as general anesthesia or intravenous medication, or when the guidelines ..
- Local anesthesia using buffered 0.5% lidocaine with 1:200,000 epinephrine for tumors of the digits treated with Mohs micrographic surgeryBahar Firoz
DermSurgery Associates, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 61:639-43. 2009Several specialties and textbooks continue to advocate that local anesthesia using epinephrine should not be used during surgery involving the digits.
- Combined periprostatic and intraprostatic local anesthesia for prostate biopsy: a double-blind, placebo controlled, randomized trialKamil Cam
Department of Urology, Duzce University Medical School, Duzce, Turkey
J Urol 180:141-4; discussion 144-5. 2008..We prospectively evaluated the contribution of intraprostatic anesthesia for transrectal prostate biopsies even when the sampling number was doubled to 12 cores...
- Delayed onset of altered sensation following dental implant placement and mental block local anesthesia: a case reportDennis Flanagan
Implant Dent 11:324-30. 2002..The altered sensation was probably caused by the mental block anesthetic technique. The partial anesthetic area in this case was probably a result of crossover innervation from the contralateral mental nerve...
- Neuromonitoring of the external branch of the superior laryngeal nerve during minimally invasive thyroid surgery under local anesthesia: a prospective study of 10 patientsWilliam B Inabnet
Department of Surgery, Division of Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Surgery, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Laryngoscope 119:597-601. 2009..This study aims to assess feasibility and efficacy of a novel technique of neuromonitoring of the EBSLN under local anesthesia during minimally invasive thyroidectomy. STUDY DESIGN;
- Ureteroscopic removal of mildly migrated stents using local anesthesia onlyKostantinos E Livadas
Second Department of Urology, Athens Medical School, Sismanoglio Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Urol 178:1998-2001. 2007..In the outpatient office setting we evaluated the feasibility and efficacy of ureteroscopic removal of upward migrated ureteral stents using local or no anesthesia...
- [Influence of local anesthesia and energy level on the clinical outcome of extracorporeal shock wave-treatment of chronic plantar fasciitis]G Labek
Orthopädische Abteilung, Allgemeines Krankenhaus Linz, Osterreich
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 143:240-6. 2005The efficacy of low energy extracorporeal shock wave treatment (ESWT) for chronic plantar fasciitis is discussed controversially. It is unclear whether the simultaneous application of local anesthesia (LA) interferes with clinical outcome.
- Complications and limitations related to periprostatic local anesthesia before TRUS-guided prostate biopsyAhmet T Turgut
Department of Radiology, Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Ankara 06590, Turkey
J Clin Ultrasound 36:67-71. 2008..To assess the frequency of complications specifically related to local anesthetic infiltration prior to transrectal ultrasound (TRUS)-guided prostate biopsy...
- Postoperative internal carotid artery restenosis after local anesthesia: presence of risk factors versus intraoperative shuntNarcis Hudorovic
Department of Vascular Surgery, University Hospital Sestre Milosrdnice, Vinogradska 29, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 11:182-4. 2010..At the same time local anesthesia reduced the shunt insertion rate...
- Comparison of different local anesthesia techniques during TRUS-guided biopsies: a prospective pilot studySergey Kravchick
Department of Urology, Barzilai Medical Center, Ashkelon, Israel
Urology 65:109-13. 2005To introduce two forms of anesthesia and compare them with standard local anesthesia techniques.
- Efficacy of tumescent local anesthesia with variable lidocaine concentration in 3430 consecutive cases of liposuctionLouis Habbema
Medisch Centrum t Gooi, Bussum, and Erasmus MC Department of Dermatology, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Am Acad Dermatol 62:988-94. 2010Lidocaine toxicity is a potential complication related to using tumescent local anesthesia (TLA) as the exclusive form of pain management in surgical procedures.
- [Temporary suppression of tremor by remifentanil in a patient with Parkinson's disease during cataract extraction under local anesthesia]W Böhmdorfer
Abteilung für Anästhesie und Intensivmedizin, KA Rudolfstiftung Wien, Austria
Anaesthesist 52:795-7. 2003..A patient with Parkinson's disease refused both anti-Parkinson medication and general anaesthesia. Low dose remifentanil infusion suppressed her otherwise severe tremor, and the operation was performed uneventfully under local anaesthesia...
- Local anesthesia use for laparoscopic cholecystectomyAydin Inan
Department of General Surgery, Fatih University School of Medicine, Fatih Universitesi Hastanesi, Alparslan Turkes Caddesi No 57, Bestepe, Emek, 06510, Ankara, Turkey
World J Surg 28:741-4. 2004This study aimed to investigate the effects and timing of local anesthesia during laparoscopic surgery in terms of postoperative pain, nausea, and the need for opioids and antiemetics...
- Effects of ring castration with local anesthesia and analgesia in Holstein calves at 3 months of age on welfare indicatorsS Marti
Department of Ruminant Production, Institut de Recerca i Tecnologia Agroalimentaries IRTA, and Animal Nutrition, Management, and Welfare Research Group, Torre Marimon, 08140 Caldes de Montbui, Barcelona, Spain
J Anim Sci 88:2789-96. 2010..Castration was performed with local anesthesia (2% lidocaine, 3 mL in each testis and 2 mL in the scrotum) and analgesia (flunixin meglumine, ..
- Renal capsular block: a novel method for performing percutaneous nephrolithotomy under local anesthesiaD Dalela
Department of Urology, CSM Medical University, Upgraded King George s Medical College, Lucknow UP, India
J Endourol 18:544-6. 2004..We evolved a technique to block renal capsular sensations by infiltration of lignocaine (lidocaine) at the site of renal entry, permitting the procedure to be done with local anesthesia.
- Radio-guided minimally invasive parathyroidectomy under local anesthesiaAssim Alfadda
Department of Internal Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
West Afr J Med 25:134-7. 2006..In an attempt to reduce operative time and decrease perioperative morbidity, we reported our experience with radio-guided minimally invasive parathyroidectomy (RMIP) under local anesthesia.
- Effect of ketoprofen, lidocaine local anesthesia, and combined xylazine and lidocaine caudal epidural anesthesia during castration of beef cattle on stress responses, immunity, growth, and behaviorS T L Ting
Teagasc, Grange Research Centre, Dunsany, Co Meath, Ireland
J Anim Sci 81:1281-93. 2003To determine the effects of burdizzo castration alone or in combination with ketoprofen (K), local anesthesia (LA), or caudal epidural anesthesia (EPI) on plasma cortisol, acute-phase proteins, interferon-gamma production, growth, and ..
- Local anesthesia during 10 core biopsy of the prostate: comparison of 2 methodsKazuaki Mutaguchi
Division of Frontier Medical Science, Department of Urology, Programs for Biomedical Research, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
J Urol 173:742-5. 2005We investigated the effectiveness of a new method, intraprostatic administration of local anesthesia vs traditional periprostatic injection for decreasing the discomfort caused by transrectal ultrasound guided, 10 core biopsy of the ..
- Outpatient varicocelectomy performed under local anesthesiaGeng Long Hsu
Microsurgical Potency Reconstruction and Research Center, Taiwan Adventist Hospital, 424, Pa Te Road, Sec 2, Taipei 105, Taiwan, China
Asian J Androl 7:439-44. 2005To report a series of varicocelectomy performed under pure local anesthesia.
- Comparison of oral and vaginal misoprostol for cervical ripening before manual vacuum aspiration of first trimester pregnancy under local anesthesia: a randomized placebo-controlled studyLeyla Cakir
Family Planning Clinic, SSK Social Security Organization Maternity and Women s Health Training Hospital, 06010 Ankara, Turkey
Contraception 71:337-42. 2005..mug vaginal misoprostol administration for cervical priming 3 h prior to manual vacuum aspiration (MVA) under local anesthesia for voluntary termination of pregnancy before 10 weeks of gestation in comparison with placebo oral or ..
- Local anesthesia for transurethral manipulations: is a transrectal periprostatic nerve block effective?Michael Muntener
Department of Urology, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
World J Urol 23:349-52. 2005..The mean pain score was 3.4 in group 1 and 3.9 in group 2. This difference was not statistically significant. We conclude that nerve block does not seem to reduce the pain associated with transurethral manipulations...
- Is periprostatic local anesthesia for transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy associated with increased infectious or hemorrhagic complications? A prospective randomized trialCan Obek
Department of Urology, University of Istanbul Cerrahpasa School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
J Urol 168:558-61. 2002Periprostatic local anesthesia for prostate biopsy requires 2 or more extra needle punctures and injection of the local anesthetic through the highly colonized rectum...
- Advanced techniques and armamentarium for dental local anesthesiaTaylor M Clark
Dental Anesthesiology Residency Program, School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1668, USA
Dent Clin North Am 54:757-68. 2010..Supplementary IO anesthesia is particularly suited for providing effective pain control of teeth diagnosed with irreversible pulpitis...
- Genioglossus advancement and hyoid myotomy under local anesthesiaChairat Neruntarat
Department of Otolaryngology, Srinakharinwirot University, Vajira Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:85-91. 2003..The purpose of this study was to assess the safety and efficacy of GAHM for the treatment of OSAS with the patient under local anesthesia.
- Tetrodotoxin for prolonged local anesthesia with minimal myotoxicityRobert F Padera
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Muscle Nerve 34:747-53. 2006..Epinephrine did not worsen TTX's relatively minimal cytotoxicity. Tetrodotoxin may thus be useful in producing prolonged nerve block with minimal myotoxicity and perhaps neurotoxicity...
- Better short-term outcomes with the U-method compared with the Hammock technique for the implantation of the TVT-SECUR under local anesthesiaLouis Olivier Gagnon
Service d Urologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Sherbrooke CHUS, Universite de Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Urology 75:1060-4. 2010To observe the satisfaction of local anesthesia during the implantation of the tension-free vaginal tape (TVT)-SECUR (Gynecare, Ethicon, Somerville, NJ) for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence, using questionnaires completed by ..
- Corneal endothelial safety of intracameral preservative-free 1% xylocaineAlpesh R Shah
Iladevi Cataract and IOL Research Centre, Ahmedabad, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 52:133-8. 2004..To evaluate the effect of intracameral preservative-free 1% xylocaine on the corneal endothelium as an adjuvant to topical anaesthesia during phacoemulsification and Acrysof foldable IOL implantation...
- Simple harmonic scalpel hemorrhoidectomy utilizing local anesthesia combined with intravenous sedation: a safe and rapid alternative to conventional hemorrhoidectomyLiam A Haveran
Section of Colon and Rectal Surgery, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:801-6. 2007..There was a trend toward performing hemorrhoid surgery as an ambulatory procedure using local anesthesia supplemented with intravenous sedation...
- One-thousand consecutive inguinal hernia repairs under unmonitored local anesthesiaT Callesen
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, H S Hvidovre University Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
Anesth Analg 93:1373-6, table of contents. 2001To evaluate the feasibility and safety of unmonitored local anesthesia (ULA) for elective open inguinal hernia repair, we made a prospective, consecutive data collection from 1000 operations on primary and recurrent hernias...
- Lignocaine toxicity; a complication of local anaesthesia administered in the communityM J Donald
Department of Emergency Medicine, Manly Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Emerg Med J 21:249-50. 2004..Emergency practitioners should maintain a high level of vigilance for the symptoms of toxicity after local anaesthetic administration. Particular care should be taken when calculating the maximum safe dose for young children...
- Local anesthesia for functional endoscopic sinus surgery employing small volumes of epinephrine-containing solutions of lidocaine produces profound hypotensionJ J Yang
Department of Anesthesiology, Jinling Hospital, Medical School of Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:1471-6. 2005....
- A comparison of patient pain during cataract surgery with topical anesthesia in Prechop Manual Phacofragmentation versus phacoemulsificationPipat Kongsap
Department of Ophthalmology, Prapokklao Hospital, Chantaburi, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 89:959-66. 2006..To compare the pain level and complications during cataract surgery with topical anesthesia in Prechop MPF versus phacoemulsification...
- Randomized prospective study of periprostatic local anesthesia during transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsyIssac Kaver
Department of Urology, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
Urology 59:405-8. 2002..To prospectively evaluate the efficacy of apical and lateral periprostatic lidocaine injection as anesthesia during transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy...
- An ambulatory surgical procedure under local anesthesia for treatment of female urinary incontinenceU Ulmsten
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Akademiska sjukhuset, Uppsala University, Sweden
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 7:81-5; discussion 85-6. 1996..modified intravaginal slingplasty for the surgical treatment of female stress incontinence, carried out under local anesthesia as a day procedure...
- Carotid endarterectomy under local anesthesia in elderly: is it worthwhile?B Amato
Department of General and Geriatric Surgery, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Acta Biomed 76:64-8. 2005..5%). Surgery for carotid artery occlusive disease under local anaesthesia can be safely performed in selected patients of more than 75 yr of age...
- Local anesthesia for ultrasound guided prostate biopsy: a prospective randomized trial comparing 2 methodsA S Alavi
Department of Urology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
J Urol 166:1343-5. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Men should have the opportunity to receive local anesthesia before ultrasound guided prostate biopsy with the goal of decreasing the discomfort associated with this ..
- A randomized, controlled trial of the reciprocating procedure device for local anesthesiaSharon E Nunez
Department of Internal Medicine, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
J Emerg Med 35:119-25. 2008..new reciprocating procedure device (RPD) is superior to the conventional syringe for the administration of local anesthesia. There were 209 local lidocaine anesthesia procedures randomized between the RDP and the conventional syringe...
- Isobolographic analysis of epinephrine with bupivacaine, dextromethorphan, 3-methoxymorphinan, or dextrorphan on infiltrative anesthesia in rats: dose-response studiesYu Wen Chen
Department of Physical Therapy, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Reg Anesth Pain Med 33:115-21. 2008..Bupivacaine, a common and long-acting local anesthetic, was used as control...
- Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy using local anesthesia with intravenous sedation and targeted approachesMaisie L Shindo
SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 138:381-7. 2008Minimally invasive parathyroidectomy (MIP) is generally performed under general anesthesia. This study evaluates the efficacy and safety of MIP performed under intravenous sedation with local anesthesia.
- Comparison of local anesthesia techniques during transrectal ultrasound-guided biopsiesBrian N Stirling
Department of Urology, Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine Urologic Consortium, Metropolitan Hospital of Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546, USA
Urology 60:89-92. 2002..To compare the effectiveness of periprostatic nerve blockade versus intrarectal lidocaine during transrectal ultrasound-guided biopsies...
- Micro-orifice metabolic/bariatric surgery under IV sedation/local anesthesia: porcine feasibility studyHenry Buchwald
Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, MMC 290, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Obes Surg 20:500-5. 2010..approach has certain disadvantages that can be avoided by a technique for abdominal access via a micro-orifice incision under intravenous (IV) sedation/local anesthesia, without general anesthesia, insufflation, and intubation.
- Preemptive analgesia and local anesthesia as a supplement to general anesthesia: a reviewEliezer Kaufman
Department of Oral Medicine, The Hebrew University Hadassah School of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Anesth Prog 52:29-38. 2005General anesthesia (GA) and local anesthesia (LA) evolved on separate tracks. Procedures that could not be performed under LA were typically conducted under GA...
- Current trends in local anesthesia in cosmetic plastic surgery of the head and neck: results of a German national survey and observations on the use of ropivacaineTobias Koeppe
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Marienhospital Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 115:1723-30. 2005..at the national level the current practice in the use of local anesthetics in cosmetic head and neck surgery and to compare the results with the novel local anesthesia technique used in the authors' department over the past 2 years.
- Local anesthesia before transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsy: comparison of 2 methods in a prospective, randomized clinical trialStéphane Mallick
Department of Urology, University Hospital, Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe, French West Indies, France
J Urol 171:730-3. 2004..We compared the analgesic efficacy of the rectal administration of lidocaine gel and lidocaine periprostatic infiltration prior to transrectal ultrasound guided prostatic biopsies...
- Cortical stimulation of language fields under local anesthesia: optimizing removal of brain lesions adjacent to speech areasRobson Luis Oliveira de Amorim
Division of Functional Neurosurgery, Department of Neurology, Clinics Hospital, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 66:534-8. 2008..We have assessed the safety and effectiveness of craniotomy under local anesthesia and monitored conscious sedation for the resection of lesions involving eloquent language cortex.
- A simplified endoscopic third ventriculostomy under local anesthesiaP L Longatti
Department of Neurosurgery, Regional Hospital, Treviso, Italy
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 47:90-2. 2004..From September 1994 to December 2001, 24 neuroendoscopic procedures were performed under local anesthesia. Local infiltration was administered using a bupivacaine and lidocaine mixture...
- Arthroscopic release of the piriformis muscle under local anesthesia for piriformis syndromeAkira Dezawa
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Teikyo, Mizonokuchi Hospital, Kawasaki, Japan
Arthroscopy 19:554-7. 2003..This technique is useful for reducing postoperative pain and allows early return to activity...
- Local anesthesia with 20-mL prilocaine infiltration: the ultimate point for analgesia during shockwave lithotripsy?Erdal Yilmaz
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Urology, University of Kirikkale, Kirikkale, Turkey
J Endourol 22:883-7. 2008..The effectiveness of 10 mL and 20 mL local prilocaine infiltration for analgesic purposes during shockwave lithotripsy (SWL) was compared, and the differences in pain intensity and need for additional analgesics were defined...
- NEW DERMAL ANESTHETICSVINCENT CIOFALO; Fiscal Year: 2003..The new compounds offer faster onset of anesthetic activity, deeper local anesthesia, and longer duration of anesthesia than EMLA...
- Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development AwKelly Young; Fiscal Year: 2004..African-American, and Mexican-American, undergoing painful medical procedures typically done with no or local anesthesia only (e.g...
- TRANSPLANTATION OF HUMAN BONE MARROW STROMAL CELLSItzhak Fischer; Fiscal Year: 2004..Human MSCs are easy to obtain from a patient under local anesthesia, provide a renewal population and can be used for autologous grafting...
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Therapies Treatment Consort*Claus Roehrborn; Fiscal Year: 2005..the relative efficacy and safety, as well as tolerability of these procedures in an outpatient setting under local anesthesia, and importantly, durability of the initial results over intermediate follow-up periods is lacking...
- Sodium Channel Expression in Human TeethMichael Henry; Fiscal Year: 2009..from this study will further our knowledge regarding both basic pain mechanisms and the increased occurrence of local anesthesia failures in diseased teeth that can be a major deterrent for utilization of dental care.
- Pathogenesis of Postoperative Cognitive DysfunctionZhongcong Xie; Fiscal Year: 2013..can also lead to POCD in humans, our Preliminary studies in mice have shown that open abdominal surgery under local anesthesia induced neuroinflammation, A[unreadable] accumulation, and neurobehavioral deficits...
- Treating cutaneous leishmaniasis by radio-frequency induced heat (RFH) therapyAbhay R Satoskar; Fiscal Year: 2012..This treatment delivers controlled and localized radiofrequencies into lesions for 30-60 seconds under local anesthesia. Several short-term follow-up (4-5 months) studies and one long-term follow-up (12 months) study involving US ..
- Local anesthetic receptor in peripheral Na+ channelsGING K WANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..LAs) block voltage-gated Na+ channels and impede both motor and sensory functions reversibly during local anesthesia. The receptor for LAs in peripheral Na+ channels is therefore an important target for therapeutics...
- Enhanced Provision of Male Circumcision for HIV Prevention, Rakai, UgandaRonald H Gray; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will first train personnel in EIMC using the Mogen clamp under local anesthesia, and then enroll 500 infants aged <2 months per arm...
- Pediatric Percutaneous Cochlear Implantation Clinical Validation &ImplementationRobert F Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2012..the following six steps: (i) placing three bone-implanted fiducial markers/anchors surrounding the ear under local anesthesia in an out-patient setting, (ii) obtaining a clinically applicable CT scan, (iii) using the CT scan to plan a ..
- Tear-Resistant and Elastic Tissue Adhesive for Craniofacial ApplicationsSILVIA D LUEBBEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..The use of tissue adhesives in place of sutures also eliminates the need for local anesthesia and follow-up visits to remove the stiches when non-biodegradable sutures are used...
- Adult Stem Cell Minimally Invasive Bone Marrow HarvesterDANIEL LEWIS KRAFT; Fiscal Year: 2012..designed to obtain significant volumes of rich bone marrow in a minimally invasive manner (one stick under local anesthesia), by using a powered flexible shaft specifically designed to move through the confines of the pelvis...
- MICROINVASIVE TREATMENT OF SLEEP APNEA WITH THE LINGUAFLEX TISSUE RETRACTOR IIIra Sanders; Fiscal Year: 2010..The therapy involves the insertion of a thin, elastic implant into the side of the tongue, under local anesthesia. The device will be tested in animals and human cadaver specimen...
- PROLONGED DURATION LOCAL ANESTHESIADaniel S Kohane; Fiscal Year: 2013..The purpose of this application is to develop means of treating such localized pain with a single injection that would last for days to weeks without patients having to take pain medications that would cloud their minds. ..
- Auditory Thalamic ImplantSTEVEN WAN CHEUNG; Fiscal Year: 2012..is device implantation of the ventral medial geniculate body via supratentorial burr hole craniotomy under local anesthesia. Adaptation of established deep brain stimulation and computer assisted surgical navigation technologies to ..
- TRPV1 mediation of local vasoconstrictor reflexes in spinal cord injured humansDean L Kellogg; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aims 2 and 3 will be tested in the same groups by comparing the effects of local anesthesia and TRPV1 receptor antagonism on myogenic responses and the VAR during limb dependency and limb cuff ..
- Evaluation of Sodium Channel Inhibitors as Therapeutics for Chronic Muscle DisordJOHN VINCENT MULCAHY; Fiscal Year: 2013..analogues showing an improved margin of safety and extended duration of action in in vivo models measuring local anesthesia and inhibition of muscle contraction...
- Actions of Local Anesthetics on NMDA ReceptorsMeaghan Paganelli; Fiscal Year: 2013..mechanism by which lidocaine and bupivacaine, two widely used local anesthetics, reduce NMDA receptor activity and will provide needed information about how local anesthesia can prevent or reduce the development of central sensitization.
- Ocular blood flow and intraocular pressure homeostasisJeffrey W Kiel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Given that the episcleral circulation is innervated and that most published EVP measurements were made under local anesthesia, that assumption is probably wrong...
- AROMATIC AMINE LOCAL ANESTHETICS AND MEMBRANESIssaku Ueda; Fiscal Year: 1990b>Local anesthesia is generally considered to involve specific binding to receptors, most probably to the sodium channel whose gate is opened...
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaROLAND M STAUD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Either way, we will provide evidence that will characterize the role of local anesthesia, placebo analgesia, or both...
- NATURAL HISTORY AND TREATMENT OUTCOME IN BRAIN AVMJP MOHR; Fiscal Year: 2005..on-the-table assessments of cerebral function derived from Behavior Science principles and undertaken with local anesthesia challenges using agents with differential effects on brain white and gray matter...
- PROLONGED DURATION LOCAL ANESTHESIADANIEL KOHANE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, we will study the effectiveness of prolonged duration local anesthesia in preventing or mitigating the development of pain-related behaviors and the rise in GAP-43 expression ..
- BRAIN STEM MECHANISMS OF DEEP CRANIOFACIAL PAINJames Hu; Fiscal Year: 1993..the peripherally evoked responses to deep as well as cutaneous stimuli of caudalis nociceptive neurons; local anesthesia or lesioning of RVM can diminish the depressive effects of PAG stimulation...
- COCAINE USE: ACUTE AND CHRONIC CARDIOVASCULAR EFFECTSROBERT WILKERSON; Fiscal Year: 1991..e. inhibition of neuronal catecholamine uptake and local anesthesia) are well established, the mechanism(s) of its cardiovascular actions are not understood...
- BIOMECHANICS OF THE ROTATOR CUFFKai Nan An; Fiscal Year: 1999..measuring the strength of patients with cuff pathology and associated pain, before and after injection with local anesthesia. Postulates based on the effects of tear size and number of tendons involved will be tested...
- NOVEL DELIVERY SYSTEM FOR TOPICAL ANESTHESIABakul Bhatt; Fiscal Year: 2000..PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATIONS: The number of procedures requiring local anesthesia and the extent to which local anesthetics are being used is steadily increasing...
- STUDY OF OCULOMOTOR CONTROL SYSTEMDavid Robinson; Fiscal Year: 1993..We will investigate this in the alert monkey by microstimulation and micro injections of a local anesthesia in this region to provide evidence that may suggest how the neural integrator works...
- Image-Guided Otologic SurgeryRobert Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2004..gold standard for fiducial markers is a rigid frame which is screwed directly into the patient's skull under local anesthesia. Registration involves identifying the fiducial markers on both the patient and the X-ray images and then ..
- Indirect Lymphosonography for Sentinel Node LocalizationRobert Mattrey; Fiscal Year: 2005..If the node is accessible, resection could potentially be done under local anesthesia or by use of a percutaneous resection device...
- LONG-LIVED BLOCKADE OF NA+ CHANNELS BY LOCAL ANESTHETICSKevin Gingrich; Fiscal Year: 2000..Naplus current, and thereby provide important clinical utility in suppressing cardiac arrhythmia s and in local anesthesia. Naplus channels are membrane-spanning proteins that undergo voltage -triggered conformational changes (..
- Interleukin 12 Gene Therapy For Colorectal CancerSavio Woo; Fiscal Year: 2003..administered by percutaneous injection into a metastatic tumor in the liver under ultrasound guidance and local anesthesia. The clinical protocol has been approved by the IRB, IBC, FDA, and RAC at the NIH...
- PAIN MANAGEMENT IN ALCOHOLICSLouis Fiset; Fiscal Year: 1993..among alcoholics in a controlled laboratory setting at baseline and in the presence of peripherally acting local anesthesia and centrally acting nitrous oxide...
- Microbiology/Immunology of Periodontal Disease in T1DMPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2002..An integrated multidisciplinary effort provides significant data collection capabilities essential for understanding the complex multifactorial etiology of periodontal disease in Type 1 diabetes. ..
- ORAL HEALTH OF OLDER TYPE 1 DIABETIC PATIENTSPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2003..This overall plan will permit us to understand the etiology of these complications and to define specific subpopulations and risk factors appropriate for future prospective oral health prevention and intervention trials. ..
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF LOCAL ANESTHESIAWalter Chazin; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- URINE LOSS AND PROLAPSE IN NUNS AND THEIR PAROUS SISTERSGUNHILDE BUCHSBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2003..A matched pair logistic regression will be performed to obtain an adjusted estimate of the impact of familiality and vaginal delivery in UT and POP, taking into account other risk factors. ..
- The Molecular Basis of Juvenile PolyposisJames Howe; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will also benefit JP patients by improving presymptomatic genetic testing, and identification of new therapeutic targets for polyp regression and cancer prevention in JP. ..
- Role of TGF-b In Excessive Scarring: A Cutaneous ModelThomas Mustoe; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- RCT of a Novel Oral Contraceptive Initiation MethodCarolyn Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also assess dual method use for STD prevention in the study to adoption of and adherence to oral contraceptives. We will also assess dual method use for STD prevention in the study population. ..
- Outcomes After ACL Reconstruction: Femoral Nerve BlockBrian Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..The methods learned and the model developed herein will be the basis of future studies funded through the R01 mechanism. ..
- NEURAL PROCESSING OF COMMUNICATION SOUNDSJohn Crawford; Fiscal Year: 2002..e. phase spectrum) of periodic stimuli. ..
- IMPACT OF AGING, ISCHEMIA AND CYTOKINES ON WOUND HEALINGThomas Mustoe; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF LIGAND/SODIUM CHANNEL INTERACTIONSGING WANG; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CUTANEOUS CONTROL OF EXPLORATORY HAND MOVEMENTALLAN SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2001..Ultimately both the prehension and tactile exploration tasks have promise as diagnostic and therapeutic techniques to aid in rehabilitation medicine with stroke patients and patients with peripheral neuropathies. ..
- THE ROLE OF MYCOBACTERIA IN CROHN'S DISEASEDavid Graham; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this study should either confirm or refute the proposed etiologic association of M. paratuberculosis and Crohn's disease as well as the identification of patients with Crohn's disease and M. paratuberculosis. ..
- Regulation of SMAD4 and BMPR1A Expression in Juvenile PolyposisJames R Howe; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- PALLIDAL PHYSIOLOGY IN HUMAN AND PRIMATE DYSTONIAPHILIP STARR; Fiscal Year: 2005..Development of an animal model in a large nonhuman primate will open the possibility for further detailed investigations of basal ganglia physiology in dystonia, beyond those which are possible during human surgery. ..
- Impact of adolescent pregnancy on nutritional statusJoanne Katz; Fiscal Year: 2006..Measures of nutritional status at birth include weight, length, head, chest and mid upper arm circumference. Growth of these infants through 6 months of age will also be examined, as will hemoglobin and serum retinol at 3 months of age. ..
- Child Obesity Intervention:Feasibility in Dental SettingMary Tavares; Fiscal Year: 2006..Recommendations and referrals (for those with BMI in the 85%ile or higher) will be individualized for each participant. ..
- Neural correlates of memory fMR in human cortex.George Ojemann; Fiscal Year: 2006..clinical opportunity, patients undergoing surgery for epilepsy with a technique where they are awake under local anesthesia for a portion of the operation...
- Development of Sensory/Pain-Selective Local AnestheticsPeter Gerner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Cytokine Regulation of Periradicular Pain in HumansAsma Khan; Fiscal Year: 2007..Dr Kenneth Kornman of IL Genetics will serve as a consultant on this project and will oversee the genotyping and genetic analysis. Statistical consultation will be provided by Dr. Brad Pollock. ..
- Obesity, Oral Contraception and Ovarian SuppressionCarolyn Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will have very good power to detect clinically important differences. Results could directly and immediately affect contraceptive practice. ..
- CLINICAL NEUROSCIENCES TRAININGGeorge Ojemann; Fiscal Year: 2008..Four (4) post-doctoral and two (2) pre-doctoral trainees each year are requested, along with three (3) three-month short-term trainees. ..
- Acupuncture and Low Back Pain during PregnancyShu Ming Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Menthol, Ethnicity and Nicotine DependenceKaren Ahijevych; Fiscal Year: 2007..Findings may inform future tobacco dependence treatment with smokers who prefer menthol cigarettes. ..
- PREVALENCE AND IMPACT OF GLAUCOMA AMONG THE VERY ELDERLYDavid Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, the interactions between comorbidities (including cognitive deficits) and visual field loss will be explored. ..
- Microbial Outcomes of Minimal Intervention TreatmentMathilde Peters; Fiscal Year: 2005..This investigation is a clinical and molecular re-entry study of sealing of caries, in support of a future full-scale clinical trial of incomplete caries removal. ..