Summary: Analgesia produced by the insertion of ACUPUNCTURE needles at certain ACUPUNCTURE POINTS on the body. This activates small myelinated nerve fibers in the muscle which transmit impulses to the spinal cord and then activate three centers - the spinal cord, midbrain and pituitary/hypothalamus - to produce analgesia.
Publications155 found, 100 shown here
- Trigger point acupuncture for treatment of knee osteoarthritis--a preliminary RCT for a pragmatic trialKazunori Itoh
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Meiji University of Oriental Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Acupunct Med 26:17-26. 2008..We evaluated the effects of trigger point acupuncture on pain and quality of life in knee osteoarthritis patients, compared with acupuncture at standard points, and sham acupuncture...
- Neural mechanism underlying acupuncture analgesiaZhi Qi Zhao
Institute of Neurobiology, Institutes of Brain Science and State Key Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Prog Neurobiol 85:355-75. 2008..During the last decades, our understanding of how the brain processes acupuncture analgesia has undergone considerable development...
- An fMRI study on the interaction and dissociation between expectation of pain relief and acupuncture treatmentJian Kong
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Neuroimage 47:1066-76. 2009..acupuncture groups with different expectancy levels indicates that expectancy can significantly influence acupuncture analgesia for experimental pain...
- Expectancy and treatment interactions: a dissociation between acupuncture analgesia and expectancy evoked placebo analgesiaJian Kong
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Neuroimage 45:940-9. 2009..We believe our study provides brain imaging evidence for the existence of different mechanisms underlying acupuncture analgesia and expectancy evoked placebo analgesia...
- Acupuncture in patients with chronic low back pain: a randomized controlled trialBenno Brinkhaus
Institute of Social Medicine, Epidemiology, and Health Economics, Charite, University Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
Arch Intern Med 166:450-7. 2006..Acupuncture is widely used by patients with low back pain, although its effectiveness is unclear. We investigated the efficacy of acupuncture compared with minimal acupuncture and with no acupuncture in patients with chronic low back pain...
- Acupuncture for tension-type headache: a multicentre, sham-controlled, patient-and observer-blinded, randomised trialHeinz G Endres
Department of Medical Informatics, Statistics and Epidemiology, Ruhr University Bochum, Universitaetsstr 150, D 44801 Bochum, Germany
J Headache Pain 8:306-14. 2007..However, the degree to which treatment benefits depend on psychological compared to physiological effects and the degree to which any physiological effects depend on needle placement and insertion depth are unclear...
- Acupuncture analgesia: a review of its mechanisms of actionsJaung Geng Lin
Graduate Institute of Chinese Medical Science, China Medical University, Taiwan
Am J Chin Med 36:635-45. 2008The mechanism of acupuncture analgesia (AA) has been widely explored since the 1970s. Early studies investigated the relationship between acupuncture and endogenous opiates (beta-endorphin, enkephalin, endomorphin and dynorphin)...
- Role of collagen fibers in acupuncture analgesia therapy on ratsXiaojia Yu
Department of Mechanics and Engineering Science, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Connect Tissue Res 50:110-20. 2009..In this work, the role of collagen fibers at acupoints during acupuncture analgesia on rats was investigated...
- Acupuncture management of pain and emergence agitation in children after bilateral myringotomy and tympanostomy tube insertionYuan Chi Lin
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 19:1096-101. 2009..To further investigate the effect of acupuncture in postoperative pain and emergence agitation in children undergoing bilateral myringotomy and tympanostomy tube (BMT) placement...
- Traditional Chinese acupuncture and placebo (sham) acupuncture are differentiated by their effects on mu-opioid receptors (MORs)Richard E Harris
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Neuroimage 47:1077-85. 2009Controversy remains regarding the mechanisms of acupuncture analgesia. A prevailing theory, largely unproven in humans, is that it involves the activation of endogenous opioid antinociceptive systems and mu-opioid receptors (MORs)...
- Acupuncture for osteoarthritis of the knee: a systematic reviewJ Ezzo
Project Lead, Washington, DC, USA
Arthritis Rheum 44:819-25. 2001..Future research should define an optimal acupuncture treatment, measure quality of life, and assess acupuncture combined with other modalities...
- The thalamic nucleus submedius and ventrolateral orbital cortex are involved in nociceptive modulation: a novel pain modulation pathwayJing Shi Tang
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Key Laboratory of Environment and Genes Related to Diseases, Ministry of Education, Xi an Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Yanta Road W 76, Xi an, Shaanxi 710061, PR China
Prog Neurobiol 89:383-9. 2009..This review describes these findings, which provide important new insights into the roles of the thalamus and cerebral cortex in descending pain modulation...
- The central serotonergic system mediates the analgesic effect of electroacupuncture on ZUSANLI (ST36) acupointsFang Chia Chang
Neuroscience Laboratory, Department of Neurology, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan ROC
J Biomed Sci 11:179-85. 2004..These observations suggest that 5-HT(1A) and 5-HT(3) receptors partially mediate the analgesic effects of EAc, but that the 5-HT(2) receptor is conversely involved in the nociceptive response...
- Acupuncture analgesia in a new rat model of ankle sprain painSung Tae Koo
Marine Biomedical Institute, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555-1069, USA
Pain 99:423-31. 2002The lack of suitable experimental animal models for persistent pain showing clear acupuncture analgesia, has been the major stumbling block in the investigation of the physiological mechanisms of acupuncture analgesia...
- Brain activity associated with expectancy-enhanced placebo analgesia as measured by functional magnetic resonance imagingJian Kong
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
J Neurosci 26:381-8. 2006..Our results suggest that placebo analgesia may be configured through multiple brain pathways and mechanisms...
- Relations between brain network activation and analgesic effect induced by low vs. high frequency electrical acupoint stimulation in different subjects: a functional magnetic resonance imaging studyWei-Ting Zhang
Neuroscience Research Institute, Peking University, 38 Xue Yuan Rd, Beijing 100083, China
Brain Res 982:168-78. 2003....
- Is acupuncture analgesia an expectancy effect? Preliminary evidence based on participants' perceived assignments in two placebo-controlled trialsR Barker Bausell
University of Maryland School of Nursing, USA
Eval Health Prof 28:9-26. 2005..These results also support the importance of both employing credible controls for the placebo effect in clinical trials and evaluating the credibility of those controls...
- Psychophysical outcomes from a randomized pilot study of manual, electro, and sham acupuncture treatment on experimentally induced thermal painJian Kong
Department of Psychiatry, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Massachusetts, USA
J Pain 6:55-64. 2005..This suggests that switching acupuncture mode may be a treatment option for unresponsive patients...
- Acupuncture for peripheral joint osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysisY D Kwon
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, 25 Victoria Park Road, Exeter EX2 4NT, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 45:1331-7. 2006..Considering its favourable safety profile acupuncture seems an option worthy of consideration particularly for knee OA. Further studies are required particularly for manual or electro-acupuncture in hip OA...
- Acupuncture analgesia: I. The scientific basisShu Ming Wang
Department of Anesthesiology, Yale School of Medicine, 333 Cedar St, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Anesth Analg 106:602-10. 2008..In this review article we examine current biophysiological and imaging studies that explore the mechanisms of acupuncture analgesia.
- Mechanisms of acupuncture analgesia: effective therapy for musculoskeletal pain?Roland Staud
University of Florida, PO Box 100221, D2 39, Gainesville, FL 32610 0221, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 9:473-81. 2007..Furthermore, it appears that some forms of AP are more effective for providing analgesia than others. Particularly, electro-AP seems best to activate powerful opioid and non-opioid analgesic mechanisms...
- The correlated network of acupuncture effect: a functional connectivity studyWei Qin
Institute of Automy, Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing, China
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:480-3. 2006..We conclude that the default endogenous analgesia functional network exists in human brain at a low level, and it could be increased to a higher level by acupuncture modulation...
- Sham acupuncture devices--practical advice for researchersClaire A McManus
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Acupunct Med 25:36-40. 2007..We also report our experience with the sham needle in neuroimaging experiments where the magnetic machinery poses considerable challenges for acupuncture research...
- Evidence from RCTs on optimal acupuncture treatment for knee osteoarthritis--an exploratory reviewJorge Vas
Pain Treatment Unit, Dos Hermanas, Sevilla, Spain
Acupunct Med 25:29-35. 2007..The many variables in a study are likely to be more tightly controlled in a single centre study than in multicentre studies...
- [Neurobiological mechanisms of acupuncture analgesia]D Irnich
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Schmerzambulanz, Klinikum Grosshadern der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Germany
Schmerz 16:93-102. 2002..The transferability of the results into practice and theory of traditional acupuncture are critically discussed...
- The effect of acupuncture duration on analgesia and peripheral sensory thresholdsAlbert Y Leung
Department of Anesthesiology, The University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 8:18. 2008..To obtain mechanistically and clinically important information regarding EA analgesia, this current prospective cross-over study assesses the effects of EA duration on analgesia and thermal sensory thresholds in the TMM treatment model...
- Acupuncture and related techniques for postoperative pain: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsY Sun
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3094, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Br J Anaesth 101:151-60. 2008..52, 0.81), sedation (RR: 0.78; 95% CI: 0.61, 0.99), pruritus (RR: 0.75; 95% CI: 0.59, 0.96), and urinary retention (RR: 0.29; 95% CI: 0.12, 0.74). Perioperative acupuncture may be a useful adjunct for acute postoperative pain management...
- Scientific bases of acupuncture analgesiaXiaoding Cao
National Key Laboratory of Medical Neurobiology, Institute of Acupuncture Research WHO Collaborating Center for Traditional Medicine, Medical College of Fudan University, Shanghai, People's Republic of China
Acupunct Electrother Res 27:1-14. 2002The present paper was to review the physiological bases of acupuncture analgesia (AA) on normal subjects, patients, and animals. Effect of acupuncture on pain perception in normal subjects was studied and compared with sham acupuncture...
- Acupuncture analgesia: II. Clinical considerationsShu Ming Wang
Center for Advancement of Perioperative Health, Department of Anesthesiology, Yale School of Medicine, 333 Cedar St, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Anesth Analg 106:611-21, table of contents. 2008..In this review, we critically examined peer-reviewed clinical studies evaluating the analgesic properties of acupuncture modalities...
- Acupuncture and endorphinsJi Sheng Han
Neuroscience Research Institute, Peking University and Key Laboratory of Neuroscience Peking University, Ministry of Education, 38 Xue Yuan Road, Beijing 100083, PR China
Neurosci Lett 361:258-61. 2004..This finding has been verified in clinical studies in patients with various kinds of chronic pain including low back pain and diabetic neuropathic pain...
- Acupuncture analgesia and its application in cranio-maxillofacial surgical proceduresIrina O Pohodenko-Chudakova
Department of Maxillofacial and Facial Plastic Surgery, Faculty of Stomatology, Belarussian State Medical University, Minsk, Belarus
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 33:118-22. 2005The present study investigated the use of acupuncture analgesia in maxillofacial surgery.
- Review: acupuncture analgesia in clinical trialsJaung Geng Lin
Graduate Institute of Acupuncture Science, China Medical University, Taiwan
Am J Chin Med 37:1-18. 2009..Therefore, the real effect of acupuncture can be investigated well. We conclude that acupuncture is a proven treatment for relieving pain. This conclusion is based on specific effects of acupuncture rather than placebo...
- Acupuncture treatment for chronic knee pain: a systematic reviewA White
Peninsula Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, Plymouth, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:384-90. 2007..To evaluate the effects of acupuncture on pain and function in patients with chronic knee pain...
- The effect of Ting point (tendinomuscular meridians) electroacupuncture on thermal pain: a model for studying the neuronal mechanism of acupuncture analgesiaAlbert Leung
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:653-61. 2005....
- Individual differences of acupuncture analgesia in humans using cDNA microarrayYounbyoung Chae
Department of Oriental Medical Science, Graduate School of East-West Medical Science, Gyeunggi-do 446-701, Republic of Korea
J Physiol Sci 56:425-31. 2006..b>Acupuncture analgesia is mediated by the endogenous opioid system, and the analgesic response to acupuncture shows individual ..
- Acupuncture and arthroscopic acromioplastyBarbara Gilbertson
Klamath Pain Clinic, Klamath Falls, OR 9760, USA
J Orthop Res 21:752-8. 2003....
- Bilateral acupuncture analgesia observed by quantitative sensory testing in healthy volunteersPhilip M Lang
Department of Anaesthesiology, Multidisciplinary Pain Center, University of Munich LMU, Munich, Germany
Anesth Analg 110:1448-56. 2010..In this study, we evaluated the immediate effects of different types of acupuncture on thermal, mechanical, and vibratory sensory thresholds...
- [Variations of pain in the treatment of one classical acupuncture-point versus one point of Yamamoto's new scalp acupuncture]H P Ogal
Abteilung Anaesthesiologie und Operative Intensivmedizin, , Germany
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 37:326-32. 2002..These differences are significant...
- Can classical acupuncture points and trigger points be compared in the treatment of pain disorders? Birch's analysis revisitedPeter T Dorsher
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
J Altern Complement Med 14:353-9. 2008..Moreover, Birch concluded that no more than 40% of the acupuncture points examined by Melzack et al. correlated clinically for the treatment of pain (correlation was more like 18%-19%)...
- Comparative study on treatment of acute gouty arthritis by electroacupuncture with different frequencyRan Zou
Department of Acupuncture, Wuhan Municipal Hospital of Integrative Medicine, Wuhan, China
Chin J Integr Med 12:212-4. 2006..To study the therapeutic effect of treatment of acute gouty arthritis (AGA) respectively by electroacupuncture (EA) with different frequency and oral intake of Western medicine...
- A new highly reliable instrument for the assessment of pre- and postoperative gynecological painElisabet Stener-Victorin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Goteborg University, SE 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Anesth Analg 95:151-7, table of contents. 2002..The Pain Matcher procedure was well accepted by the patients, and the results suggest that it may be useful when evaluating acute pre- and postoperative pain...
- Antinociceptive effects of heterotopic electroacupuncture in formalin-induced painJae Hyo Kim
Department of Meridian and Acupoints, Wonkwang University College of Oriental Medicine, Iksan 570 749, Korea
Am J Chin Med 34:565-74. 2006..Therefore, EA induced pre-emptive antinociception via the extra-segmental inhibition of the formalin-induced pain, suggesting that EA to heterotopic acupoints is a useful treatment for inflammatory pain...
- Pain relief during oocyte retrieval--exploring the role of different frequencies of electro-acupuncturePeter Humaidan
The Fertility Clinic, Viborg Hospital, Skive, DK 7800 Skive, Denmark
Reprod Biomed Online 13:120-5. 2006..Contrary to previous reports on acute and chronic pain, the analgesic effect of the mixed frequency and the fixed frequency was similar when used for short duration electro-acupuncture...
- Comparison of clinical and evoked pain measures in fibromyalgiaRichard E Harris
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48106, USA
J Pain 7:521-7. 2006..05). Pain sensitivity as assessed by random paradigms was associated with improvements in clinical FM pain. Sophisticated pain testing paradigms might be responsive to change in clinical trials...
- Bee venom injection significantly reduces nociceptive behavior in the mouse formalin test via capsaicin-insensitive afferentsDae-Hyun Roh
Department of Veterinary Physiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
J Pain 7:500-12. 2006..These results further suggest that BV stimulation into this acupuncture point might be a valuable alternative to traditional electrical or mechanical acupoint stimulation...
- Involvement of peripheral opioid mechanisms in electroacupuncture analgesiaGrant G Zhang
Complementary Medicine Program, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
Explore (NY) 1:365-71. 2005..These data strongly suggest that peripheral opioids are released by EA at the inflammatory site...
- Trigeminal neuralgia in an octogenarian: sustained clinical response to acupunctureDeepti Mishra
Sealy Center on Aging, Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555-0460, USA
Explore (NY) 1:46-7. 2005
- [Effects of electroacupuncture at "Zusanli" (ST 36) on ERK1/2 phosphorylation in the dorsal horn of spinal cord of the rat]Le Song
Institute of Neurosciences, Fourth Military University, Xi'an 710032, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 26:362-6. 2006..05). CONCLUSION: The inhibition of ERK1/2 phosphorylation in the spinal cord dorsal horn by electroacupuncture is possibly involved in acupuncture analgesic effect...
- A minimal stress model for the assessment of electroacupuncture analgesia in rats under halothaneYeong Ray Wen
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur J Pain 11:733-42. 2007The use of anesthetics in acupuncture analgesia is controversial...
- Fu's subcutaneous needling: possible clinical evidence of the subcutaneous connective tissue in acupunctureZhong hua Fu
Department of Anesthesiology, Jinling Hospital, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
J Altern Complement Med 13:47-51. 2007..A single-blinded and randomized trial was designed to compare the immediate effects of FSN with different needling directions on myofascial trigger points (MTrP) in the neck...
- Acupuncture needling versus lidocaine injection of trigger points in myofascial pain syndrome in elderly patients--a randomised trialHyuk Ga
Department of Family Medicine, Inha University College of Medicine, Incheon, Korea
Acupunct Med 25:130-6. 2007..To compare the efficacy of acupuncture needling and 0.5% lidocaine injection of trigger points in myofascial pain syndrome of elderly patients...
- [Electroacupuncture alleviates complete Freund's adjuvant peripheral chronic inflammatory pain in mice]Na Li
Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 28:122-6. 2008..To probe into the law of acupuncture analgesic effect and specificities of acupoint action...
- Alteration of orphanin FQ immunoreactivity and ppOFQ mRNA by combination of melatonin with electroacupunctureM M Zhou
Department of Neurobiology, Shanghai Medical University, People's Republic of China
Acupunct Electrother Res 26:49-58. 2001..The results suggested that attenuating the release and synthesis of OFQ in the brain is one of the mechanisms that melatonin promotes acupuncture analgesia.
- Research on the neurophysiological mechanisms of acupuncture: review of selected studies and methodological issuesJ Shen
National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Altern Complement Med 7:S121-7. 2001..Other studies, using fMRI, have pointed to relationships between particular acupoints and visual-cortex activation. These powerful new tools open the possibility to new scientific studies of this ancient therapy...
- Dry needling of trigger points with and without paraspinal needling in myofascial pain syndromes in elderly patientsHyuk Ga
Department of Family Medicine, Inha University College of Medicine, Incheon, South Korea
J Altern Complement Med 13:617-24. 2007..To compare the efficacies of dry needling of trigger points (TrPs) with and without paraspinal needling in myofascial pain syndrome of elderly patients...
- [Acupuncture in pain therapy]S Grasmüller
Interdisziplinäre Schmerzambulanz, Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, LMU Munchen
MMW Fortschr Med 149:37-9. 2007..Acupuncture can be part of a multimodal therapeutic concept for chronic pain disorders with biopsychosocial components...
- Electroacupuncture analgesia in dogs: is there a difference between uni- and bi-lateral stimulation?Renata N Cassu
Department of Veterinary Surgery and Anaesthesiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, FMVZ, UNESP, Botucatu, SP, Brazil
Vet Anaesth Analg 35:52-61. 2008..To compare the analgesic effect of uni- and bi-lateral electroacupuncture (EA) in response to thermal and mechanical nociceptive stimuli and to investigate the cardiorespiratory, endocrine, and behavioral changes in dogs submitted to EA...
- Acupuncture and sham acupuncture reduce muscle pain in myofascial pain patientsGreg Goddard
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Nippon Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Orofac Pain 16:71-6. 2002....
- Two styles of acupuncture for treating painful diabetic neuropathy--a pilot randomised control trialAndrew C Ahn
Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Acupunct Med 25:11-7. 2007..The TCM style improved nerve sensation according to quantitative sensory testing while the Japanese style had a more equivocal effect. No evident changes were observed in glucose control or heart rate variability in either group...
- On the impossibility of trigger point-acupoint equivalence: a commentary on Peter Dorsher's analysisStephen Birch
J Altern Complement Med 14:343-5. 2008
- Electroacupuncture-induced analgesia in a rat model of ankle sprain pain is mediated by spinal alpha-adrenoceptorsSung Tae Koo
Department of Medical Research, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
Pain 135:11-9. 2008..These data suggest that the analgesic effect of EA in ankle sprain pain is, at least in part, mediated by spinal alpha(2)-adrenoceptor mechanisms...
- [Transient analgesic effect of electroacupuncture at Taiyang (EX-HN 5) for treatment of migraine with hyperactivity of the liver-yang]Jian Wei Zhou
Institute of Acupuncture and Meridians, Sichuan Provincial Academy of TCM, Chengdu 610031, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 27:159-63. 2007..To explore the difference of therapeutic effects between electroacupuncture (EA) and medication for treatment of migraine with hyperactivity of the liver-yang...
- Believe in your placeboDavid A Seminowicz
Institute of Medical Science, University of Toronto, Ontario, M5T 2S8, Canada
J Neurosci 26:4453-4. 2006
- Complementary medicine in chronic pain treatmentCharles A Simpson
Complementary Healthcare Plans, Inc, 6600 SW 105 th Avenue, Suite 115, Beaverton, OR 97008, USA
Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 17:451-72, viii. 2006..The challenges of an evidence-based approach to incorporating complementary therapies are explored, and a brief survey of several commonly available complementary medicine therapies is provided...
- A controlled trial of placebo versus real acupunctureGreg Goddard
Center for Orofacial Pain, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Pain 6:237-42. 2005..463). Subjects were not able to differentiate between real or placebo acupuncture, thereby validating this novel method of administering placebo acupuncture as a good control for acupuncture-naive patients...
- Analgesia and c-Fos expression in the periaqueductal gray induced by electroacupuncture at the Zusanli point in ratsMagda Alves de Medeiros
Department of Physiological Sciences, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, BR 465 Km 7, 23851 970 Seropedica, RJ, Brazil
Brain Res 973:196-204. 2003..Our findings endorse previous results, and point to a specific part of the PAG involved in the effects of electroacupuncture at the Zusanli point...
- Different central manifestations in response to electroacupuncture at analgesic and nonanalgesic acupoints in rats: a manganese-enhanced functional magnetic resonance imaging studyJen Hwey Chiu
Institute of Traditional Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Number 155, Section 2, Li Nong Street, Peitou, Taipei, 112 Taiwan, Republic of China
Can J Vet Res 67:94-101. 2003b>Acupuncture analgesia is an important issue in veterinary medicine. This study was designed to elucidate central modulation effects in response to electroacupuncture (EA) at different acupoints...
- Acupuncture for the relief of cancer-related pain--a systematic reviewHyangsook Lee
Department of Medical Sciences, Graduate School of East West Medical Science, Kyunghee University, Yongin, Republic of Korea
Eur J Pain 9:437-44. 2005..This systematic review summarises the existing evidence on acupuncture for cancer-related pain...
- Acupuncture pain management for patients with cystic fibrosis: a pilot studyYuan Chi Lin
Medical Acupuncture Service, Department of Anesthesiology Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Am J Chin Med 33:151-6. 2005..Further randomized controlled trials will be necessary to evaluate additional efficacy in pain management and the improvement of the quality of life of patients with cystic fibrosis...
- Electro-acupuncture versus conventional analgesia: a comparison of pain levels during oocyte aspiration and patients' experiences of well-being after surgeryAnn Louise Gejervall
Reproductive Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Institute for the Health of Women and Children, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg University, SE 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Hum Reprod 20:728-35. 2005The primary aims were to compare the pain-relieving effect and post-operative well-being between electro-acupuncture analgesia (EA) and conventional analgesia (CA) comprising opiates...
- [Clinical application of acupunctural anesthesia with new combination principle of acupoints in supratentorial craniocerebral operation of tumor in vital functional area or deep site of brain]Jian Min Zhang
Department of Neurosurgery, Second Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 24:969-72. 2004..To summarize the experience in applying acupunctural anesthesia (AA) with new combination principle (NCP) of acupoints in supratentorial craniocerebral operation of tumor in functional area or deep site of brain...
- [Mechanisms of primary reception of electromagnetic waves of optical range]S O Huliar
A.A. Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, ZEPTER-Medical Sciences Information Center, Kiev
Fiziol Zh 49:35-44. 2003..A current approach to BIOPTRON light therapy (by polarized polychromatic coherent low energy light) consists in combined (local and system) exposure of the electromagnetic waves within the biologically necessary range...
- Superficial dry needling and active stretching in the treatment of myofascial pain--a randomised controlled trialJanet Edwards
Acupunct Med 21:80-6. 2003..The mean PPT and SFMPQ scores correlated significantly in G1 only, though no significant inter-group differences were demonstrated. Numbers of patients requiring further treatment following the trial were: 6 (G1); 12 (G2); 9 (G3)...
- Trigger point acupuncture treatment of chronic low back pain in elderly patients--a blinded RCTKazunori Itoh
Department of Clinical Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Meiji University of Oriental Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Acupunct Med 22:170-7. 2004..Our objective was to evaluate the effects of two different modes of trigger point acupuncture on pain and quality of life in chronic low back pain patients compared to standard acupuncture treatment...
- Differential effects of opioid receptors in nucleus submedius and anterior pretectal nucleus in mediating electroacupuncture analgesia in the ratJuan-Xia Zhu
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, Xi'an Jiaotong University, Key Laboratory of Environment and Genes Related to Diseases, Ministry of Education, Xi'an 710061, China
Sheng Li Xue Bao 56:697-702. 2004....
- Electroacupuncture analgesia for surgery in cattleDuck Hwan Kim
College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University, Daejeon 305 764, Korea
Am J Chin Med 32:131-40. 2004..It was considered that dorsal acupoint group might be useful for operation with recumbent position, and lumbar and dorsal-lumbar acupoint groups might be proper for operation with standing position...
- Relief of chronic neck and shoulder pain by manual acupuncture to tender points--a sham-controlled randomized trialT Nabeta
Meiji School of Oriental Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Complement Ther Med 10:217-22. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: Acupuncture applied to tender points appears to have short-term effects on neck and shoulder pain and stiffness, but this study was unable to demonstrate any long-term superiority over sham acupuncture...
- [Observation on the accumulative analgesic effect of electroacupuncture and the expression of protein kinase A in hypothalamus and hippocampus in chronic pain or/and ovariectomized rats]Jun Ying Wang
Department of Physiology, Institute of Acu moxibustion, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
Zhen Ci Yan Jiu 33:80-7. 2008....
- Pain relief by applying transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) on acupuncture points during the first stage of labor: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trialAn Shine Chao
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Pain 127:214-20. 2007..05), but the neonatal outcomes were not different. The application of TENS on specific acupuncture points could be a non-invasive adjunct for pain relief in the first stage of labor...
- Acupuncture in the management of pain in laborElse Skilnand
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, County Hospital of Oestfold, Fredrikstad, Norway
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 81:943-8. 2002..Acupuncture may be useful for parturients who wish a nonpharmacological analgesia without side-effects. For others it could be the analgesic method of choice, with pharmacological analgesics as supplements...
- Sensory stimulation (acupuncture) for the treatment of idiopathic anterior knee painJan Naslund
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Rehabil Med 34:231-8. 2002..The pain-relieving effect remains for at least 6 months. Central pain inhibition, caused by either afferent stimulation or by non-specific therapeutic (placebo) effects, is a plausible explanation behind the treatment effects...
- Acupuncture for pain relief in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic reviewChenchen Wang
Tufts Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Arthritis Rheum 59:1249-56. 2008..To systematically review the efficacy of acupuncture on pain relief in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- The effectiveness of relaxation acupoint stimulation and acupressure with aromatic lavender essential oil for non-specific low back pain in Hong Kong: a randomised controlled trialY B Yip
School of Nursing, Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Hong Kong, PR China
Complement Ther Med 12:28-37. 2004....
- Treatment of fibromyalgia with formula acupuncture: investigation of needle placement, needle stimulation, and treatment frequencyRichard E Harris
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48106, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:663-71. 2005..DESIGN/SETTINGS/SUBJECTS: A single-site, single-blind, randomized trial of 114 participants diagnosed with fibromyalgia for at least 1 year was performed...
- The short- and long-term benefit in chronic low back pain through adjuvant electrical versus manual auricular acupunctureSabine M Sator-Katzenschlager
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine B, Outpatient Pain Center, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 98:1359-64, table of contents. 2004..Electrical stimulation of acupuncture points is considered to increase acupuncture analgesia. In this prospective, randomized, double-blind, controlled study we tested the hypothesis that auricular ..
- Neurobiological correlates of acupuncture: November 17-18, 2005Vitaly Napadow
Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Altern Complement Med 12:931-5. 2006..on topics related to possible signaling networks, sham acupuncture controls, acupoint specificity, acupuncture analgesia, acupuncture-associated brain response, and the potential for using neuroimaging in conjunction with ..
- Effect of oxytocin on acupuncture analgesia in the ratJun Yang
Institute for Pharmaceuticals and Medical Science, Guangdong Bangmin Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, Jianghai Distract, Jiangmen, Guangdong 529080, China
Neuropeptides 41:285-92. 2007Oxytocin has been demonstrated to be involved in pain modulation. Acupuncture analgesia is a very useful clinical tool for pain relief, which has over 2500-year history in China...
- The effect of brief electrical and manual acupuncture stimulation on mechanical experimental painJuerg Schliessbach
University Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Therapy, Inselspital Bern, Switzerland
Pain Med 12:268-75. 2011Although manual and electrical stimulation are frequently used in acupuncture analgesia, studies comparing both stimulation modalities are contradictory...
- Endogenous anandamide and cannabinoid receptor-2 contribute to electroacupuncture analgesia in ratsLin Chen
Department of Neurobiology, Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Peoples Republic of China
J Pain 10:732-9. 2009..endocannabinoids are involved in modulation of nociception in animal models and in humans, their role in acupuncture analgesia has not been assessed...
- Acupuncture anesthesia and analgesia for clinical acute pain in JapanReina Taguchi
Department of Clinical Acupuncture and Moxibustion II Meiji University of Oriental Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 5:153-8. 2008..b>Acupuncture analgesia is presently considered a way to activate the body's endogenous analgesic system...
- The impact of placebo, psychopathology, and expectations on the response to acupuncture needling in patients with chronic low back painAjay Darsh Wasan
Department of Anesthesiology, Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Pain 11:555-63. 2010..Psychiatric comorbidity does not significantly impact acupuncture or placebo acupuncture analgesia in CLBP...
- [Research on the development of acupuncture-moxibustion in Taiwan in 1970s.]Hong Chien Ha
Lifu Museum of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 404 Taiwan
Zhonghua Yi Shi Za Zhi 38:157-60. 2008..knowledge and technology to traditional acupuncture-moxibustion in order to explore the dechanism of acupuncture analgesia and to determine the effectiveness of acupuncture-moxibustion in the reatment of diseases...
- [Research on the development of acupuncture-moxibustion in Taiwan in 1970s]Hong Chien Ha
Lifu Museum of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 404 Taiwan
Zhonghua Yi Shi Za Zhi 37:157-60. 2007..knowledge and technology to traditional acupuncture-moxibustion in order to explore the mechanism of acupuncture analgesia and to determine the effectiveness of acupuncture-moxibustion in the treatment of diseases...
- Brain encoding of acupuncture sensation--coupling on-line rating with fMRIVitaly Napadow
MGH HMS MIT Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Neuroimage 47:1055-65. 2009..Increased cognitive load and dmPFC activity may be a salient component of acupuncture analgesia--sensations focus attention and accentuate bodily awareness, contributing to enhanced top-down modulation ..
- A Dutch view of the ''science'' of CAM 1986--2003Cees N M Renckens
Dutch Society Against Quackery, Hoorn, Netherlands
Eval Health Prof 32:431-50. 2009..three instances, mildly positive findings were reported: on the efficacy of manual therapies, the use of acupuncture analgesia in surgery, and an elimination diet against migraine and tension headaches...
- Clinical and endocrinological changes after electro-acupuncture treatment in patients with osteoarthritis of the kneeSadia Ahsin
Department of Physiology, Army Medical College Rawalpindi, Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Pain 147:60-6. 2009..the release of endogenous opioids and depression of stress hormone release are believed to be the basis of acupuncture analgesia. This study compared plasma beta-endorphin and cortisol levels with self assessment scores of intensity of ..
- [Acupuncture analgesia and the direction, angle and depth of needle insertion]Gang Qi Fan
Department of Brain, Nanjing Hospital of TCM, Nanjing 210001, Jiangsu Province, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 30:965-8. 2010Literatures on acupuncture analgesia of the recent 30 years are analyzed through the target pain syndromes, points and tools selected for needling as well as the chosen direction, angle and depth of insertion...
- Electroacupuncture (EA) modulates the expression of NMDA receptors in primary sensory neurons in relation to hyperalgesia in ratsLina Wang
Department of Anesthesiology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University, Soochow 215006, China
Brain Res 1120:46-53. 2006..b>Acupuncture analgesia has been confirmed by numerous clinical observations and experimental studies to be a useful treatment to ..
- Stereotactic core biopsy of an impalpable screen-detected breast lesion using acupuncture-analgesiaR E English
Oxford Breast Imaging Centre, Churchill Hospital, Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust, Old Road, Headington, Oxford, UK
Br J Radiol 83:e208-10. 2010..We describe the combined acupuncture and biopsy procedures and the patient's impressions and outcomes are recorded...
- [Roles of ventrolateral orbital cortex in pain modulation and acupuncture analgesia]Chao Ling Qu
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Xi an Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Xi an, China
Sheng Li Ke Xue Jin Zhan 39:297-301. 2008..VLO plays an important role in acupuncture analgesia. In this review we summarized the roles of ventrolateral orbital cortex in pain modulation and acupuncture ..
- Response properties of nucleus reticularis lateralis neurons after electroacupuncture stimulation in ratsKentaro Moritaka
Integrative Sensory Physiology, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan
Am J Chin Med 38:869-80. 2010..In the present study, to clarify the role of NRL in acupuncture analgesia, we investigated the response properties of NRL neurons to acupuncture stimulation...
- Neural Mechanisms Underlying Acupuncture AnalgesiaJin Chung; Fiscal Year: 2007..Successful completion of this proposal will unveil important mechanisms underlying acupuncture analgesia in ankle sprain pain...
- Neural Mechanisms Underlying Acupuncture AnalgesiaJin Chung; Fiscal Year: 2004..Successful completion of this proposal will unveil important mechanisms underlying acupuncture analgesia in ankle sprain pain...
- fMRI and Opioid Neuroimaging of Acupuncture AnalgesiaRandy Gollub; Fiscal Year: 2003This multimodality functional neuroimaging (PET and fMRI) study investigates the neurobiological basis of acupuncture analgesia. It is submitted in response to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine's call for ..
- fMRI study of expectancy on acupuncture analgesiaRandy Gollub; Fiscal Year: 2005..model using a quantitative brain imaging method (fMRI) to investigate the neurobiological mechanism of acupuncture analgesia, placebo analgesia and their interrelationship...
- Acupuncture in Cardiovascular DiseaseHolly Middlekauff; Fiscal Year: 2002..While the biological mechanisms of acupuncture analgesia have been studied intensely in animals and humans, the biological mechanisms for modulation of the ..
- Molecular Mechanism of AcupunctureGabriela Garcia; Fiscal Year: 2006..We hypothesize that acupuncture analgesia might function partially by its direct and/or indirect inhibition of inflammation, since pain is ..
- Mechanisms of Acupuncture AnalgesiaRichard Harris; Fiscal Year: 2006..This application focuses on determining the neurobiological mechanisms of acupuncture analgesia (the relief of pain) in people who suffer from fibromyalgia (FM), a chronic pain condition...
- Acupuncture and Low Back Pain during PregnancyShu Ming Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Study of individual variability in acupuncture and placebo analgesiaJian Kong; Fiscal Year: 2007..This integrated program of training and research will yield new tools for studying acupuncture and placebo treatment and provide the candidate with the skills needed to achieve independence in a highly complex field. ..
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaRoland Staud; Fiscal Year: 2009..Either way, we will provide evidence that will characterize the role of local anesthesia, placebo analgesia, or both. Thus patients with FM and other similar pain syndromes may strongly benefit from the results of our study. ..
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaRoland Staud; Fiscal Year: 2007..Either way, we will provide evidence that will characterize the role of local anesthesia, placebo analgesia, or both. Thus patients with FM and other similar pain syndromes may strongly benefit from the results of our study. ..
- MECHANISM OF PAIN IN PATIENTS WITH FIBROMYALGIA SYNDROMERoland Staud; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, our findings may contribute to the understanding of pain mechanisms related to other chronic pain disorders. ..
- To study the neuronal mechanism of acupunture analgesiaAlbert Leung; Fiscal Year: 2006..have obtained in the past year, we propose to utilize the following for studying the neuronal mechanism of acupuncture analgesia in human volunteers: 1) a textbook acupuncture paradigm for treating acute pain, 2) a tonic acute thermal ..
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaROLAND M STAUD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Either way, we will provide evidence that will characterize the role of local anesthesia, placebo analgesia, or both. Thus patients with FM and other similar pain syndromes may strongly benefit from the results of our study. ..
- MECHANISM OF PAIN IN PATIENTS WITH FIBROMYALGIA SYNDROMERoland Staud; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Pain and Interstitial CystitisUrsula Wesselmann; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of these studies should have rapid clinical implications: if subsets of patients with different IC etiologies can be identified, then they can be targeted for focused research and specific treatments. ..
- Relationship of Hip Muscle Group Weakness to Deterioration of the OA Knee by MRILeena Sharma; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of the proposed study will inform therapy of knee OA that takes advantage of the hip musculature. ..
- Thrust and Meniscal Lesions in Knee OA in the OAILeena Sharma; Fiscal Year: 2009..Adjustment will be made for potential confounders, which, in specific analyses, may include disease severity, disease progression, age, gender, BMI, physical activity, and injury. ..
- SHAM DEVICE, PILL PLACEBO OR TREATMENT FOR ARM PAINTed Kaptchuk; Fiscal Year: 2003..Outcomes in these studies will include assessments of the nature and severity of upper extremity pain, function, grip and pinch strength, and mood. ..
- An Integrative Healing Model in IBSTed Kaptchuk; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Relationship of Hip Muscle Group Weakness to Deterioration of the OA Knee by MRILeena Sharma; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of the proposed study will inform therapy of knee OA that takes advantage of the hip musculature. ..
- Strength, Laxity, and Position Sense in OA ProgressionLeena Sharma; Fiscal Year: 2006..I He proposed study will provide important information regarding these factors that will be directly applicable to the development of strategies to prevent disease progression and disability. ..
- Acupuncture to aid post-colectomy recovery in colorectal cancer patientsGary Deng; Fiscal Year: 2007....