Summary: Clinical or physiological indicators that precede the onset of disease.
- Edmunds A. Psychotic and Bipolar Disorders: Schizophrenia. FP Essent. 2017;455:11-17 pubmed..Comanagement of the patient by a mental health subspecialist and a family physician is important to ensure appropriate screening, diagnosis, and management of common associated conditions. ..
- Wijnands J, Kingwell E, Zhu F, Zhao Y, Högg T, Stadnyk K, et al. Health-care use before a first demyelinating event suggestive of a multiple sclerosis prodrome: a matched cohort study. Lancet Neurol. 2017;16:445-451 pubmed publisher..These findings have clinical and research implications, including the establishment of an earlier window of opportunity to identify and potentially treat multiple sclerosis. National Multiple Sclerosis Society. ..
- Lin A, Nelson B, Yung A. 'At-risk' for psychosis research: where are we heading?. Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci. 2012;21:329-34 pubmed publisher..Shifting the traditional notion of outcome is the future challenge for at-risk research, but the inclusion of outcomes other than psychosis is likely to result in better aetiological models of psychotic illness. ..
- Iranzo A, Stefani A, Serradell M, Marti M, Lomena F, Mahlknecht P, et al. Characterization of patients with longstanding idiopathic REM sleep behavior disorder. Neurology. 2017;89:242-248 pubmed publisher..This observation may be useful for the design of disease-modifying trials to prevent PD onset in IRBD. ..
- Buckley R, Schultz A, Hedden T, Papp K, Hanseeuw B, Marshall G, et al. Functional network integrity presages cognitive decline in preclinical Alzheimer disease. Neurology. 2017;89:29-37 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that rs-fcMRI may be a useful predictor of early, AD-related cognitive decline in clinical research settings. ..
- Masuda T, Ueda M, Suenaga G, Misumi Y, Tasaki M, Izaki A, et al. Early skin denervation in hereditary and iatrogenic transthyretin amyloid neuropathy. Neurology. 2017;88:2192-2197 pubmed publisher..IENFD may thus be useful for early diagnosis and may serve as a biomarker in clinical trials for hereditary and iatrogenic TTR amyloidosis. ..
- Kemp J, Philippi N, Phillipps C, Demuynck C, Albasser T, Martin Hunyadi C, et al. Cognitive profile in prodromal dementia with Lewy bodies. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2017;9:19 pubmed publisher..However, we found, from a prodromal stage of DLB, memory (free recall and visual recognition) and social cognition deficits, as well as weakened visuospatial and praxic abilities. ..
- Serra R, Compagna R, Grande R, Perri P, Buffone G, Gasbarro V, et al. Upper extremity vein thrombosis: an alert symptom of breast cancer in elderly patients. Experience on personal casuistry and review of the literature. BMC Surg. 2013;13 Suppl 2:S39 pubmed publisher..A case of upper vein extrmity thrombosis in an elderly patient should prompt a high index of suspicion for breast malignancy in order to avoid diagnostic delay that may retard appropriate treatment. ..
- Franzmeier N, Duering M, Weiner M, Dichgans M, Ewers M. Left frontal cortex connectivity underlies cognitive reserve in prodromal Alzheimer disease. Neurology. 2017;88:1054-1061 pubmed publisher..027). Higher gLFC connectivity is a functional substrate of CR that helps to maintain episodic memory relatively well in the face of emerging FDG-PET hypometabolism in early-stage AD. ..
- Doppler K, Jentschke H, Schulmeyer L, Vadász D, Janzen A, Luster M, et al. Dermal phospho-alpha-synuclein deposits confirm REM sleep behaviour disorder as prodromal Parkinson's disease. Acta Neuropathol. 2017;133:535-545 pubmed publisher..Dermal p-alpha-syn is detectable in RBD patients without PD motor symptoms, thereby stratifying a patient group that is of great interest for clinical trials testing disease-modifying drugs. ..
- Premi E, Grassi M, van Swieten J, Galimberti D, Graff C, Masellis M, et al. Cognitive reserve and TMEM106B genotype modulate brain damage in presymptomatic frontotemporal dementia: a GENFI study. Brain. 2017;140:1784-1791 pubmed publisher..These findings should be considered in evaluating outcomes in future disease-modifying trials, and support the search for protective mechanisms in people at risk of dementia that might facilitate new therapeutic strategies. ..
- Berkowitz B, Lenning J, Khetarpal N, Tran C, Wu J, Berri A, et al. In vivo imaging of prodromal hippocampus CA1 subfield oxidative stress in models of Alzheimer disease and Angelman syndrome. FASEB J. 2017;31:4179-4186 pubmed publisher..Podolsky, R. H., Gant, J. C., Maimaiti, S., Thibault, O., Murphy, G. G., Bennett, B. M., Roberts, R. In vivo imaging of prodromal hippocampus CA1 subfield oxidative stress in models of Alzheimer disease and Angelman syndrome. ..
- Lafaille Magnan M, Poirier J, Etienne P, Tremblay Mercier J, Frenette J, Rosa Neto P, et al. Odor identification as a biomarker of preclinical AD in older adults at risk. Neurology. 2017;89:327-335 pubmed publisher..Diminished OI may be a practical and affordable biomarker of AD pathology. ..
- McGorry P. Early clinical phenotypes and risk for serious mental disorders in young people: need for care precedes traditional diagnoses in mood and psychotic disorders. Can J Psychiatry. 2013;58:19-21 pubmed
- Cabanas M, Bassil F, Mons N, Garret M, Cho Y. Changes in striatal activity and functional connectivity in a mouse model of Huntington's disease. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184580 pubmed publisher..Further analysis of the cellular and molecular changes underlying the transient striatal hyperactivity in the HD mice may help to understand the mechanisms involved in the disease onset...
- Gudu W. Prodromal symptoms, health care seeking in response to symptoms and associated factors in eclamptic patients. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017;17:87 pubmed publisher..related to symptoms preceding seizures; health care seeking for the symptoms and time interval from prodromal symptoms to the diagnosis of eclampsia...
- Sierra M, Martinez Rodriguez I, Sanchez Juan P, González Aramburu I, Jiménez Alonso M, Sánchez Rodríguez A, et al. Prospective clinical and DaT-SPECT imaging in premotor LRRK2 G2019S-associated Parkinson disease. Neurology. 2017;89:439-444 pubmed publisher..Rate of conversion to PD at 4 years in this cohort aged ?64 years was 12%. The slope of DaT binding decline on DaT-SPECT imaging seems to be similar across different stages of the premotor period. ..
- Kollmer J, Sahm F, Hegenbart U, Purrucker J, Kimmich C, Schonland S, et al. Sural nerve injury in familial amyloid polyneuropathy: MR neurography vs clinicopathologic tools. Neurology. 2017;89:475-484 pubmed publisher..This study provides Class III evidence that MRN accurately identifies asymptomatic mutTTR carriers. ..
- Schapira A, Chaudhuri K, Jenner P. Non-motor features of Parkinson disease. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2017;18:435-450 pubmed publisher..We also discuss the potential for the non-motor features to define a prodrome that may enable the early diagnosis of PD. ..
- Espinosa A, Alegret M, Pesini P, Valero S, Lafuente A, Buendia M, et al. Cognitive Composites Domain Scores Related to Neuroimaging Biomarkers within Probable-Amnestic Mild Cognitive Impairment-Storage Subtype. J Alzheimers Dis. 2017;57:447-459 pubmed publisher..The replication of our results in the ADNI dataset also confirmed our findings. Delayed Recall is the CC domain score best correlated with neuroimaging biomarkers associated with prodromal AD diagnosis. ..
- Jennings D, Siderowf A, Stern M, Seibyl J, Eberly S, Oakes D, et al. Conversion to Parkinson Disease in the PARS Hyposmic and Dopamine Transporter-Deficit Prodromal Cohort. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:933-940 pubmed publisher..Detecting individuals at risk for Parkinson disease (PD) during the prodromal phase could clarify disease mechanisms and allow for treatment earlier in the disease process to possibly slow or prevent the onset of motor PD...