Summary: Evaluation of manifestations of disease.
- Smith S, Sestak I, Howell A, Forbes J, Cuzick J. Participant-Reported Symptoms and Their Effect on Long-Term Adherence in the International Breast Cancer Intervention Study I (IBIS I). J Clin Oncol. 2017;35:2666-2673 pubmed publisher..Effects were similar between treatment arms, suggesting that women were attributing age-related symptoms to preventive therapy. Interventions were required to support symptom management. ..
- Abramavicius S, Velickiene D, Kadusevicius E. Methimazole-induced liver injury overshadowed by methylprednisolone pulse therapy: Case report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8159 pubmed publisher..1. The interaction of methimazole and methylprednisolone may result in DILI. 2. In a patient without concomitant liver diseases MP can be continued if the methimazole dose is reduced if no other treatment options are available. ..
- Fernandez K, Fisher A, Chi C. Development and initial implementation of the Dynamic Assessment Treatment Algorithm (DATA). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178806 pubmed publisher..Then, we describe the improvement and digitization of the algorithm, termed Dynamic Assessment Treatment Algorithm (DATA). The development, structure, and clinical implications of DATA are discussed. ..
- Hori H, Kuratomi A, Ishizaki M, Sakamoto T, Nishida Y, Ando Y. The effects of the Kumamoto earthquake on the clinical symptoms of patients with Parkinson's disease. Rinsho Shinkeigaku. 2017;57:425-429 pubmed publisher..0184). The mental and emotional burden due to the earthquake might be particularly high in the group of patients with worsened symptoms, suggestive of a relationship between stress and the exacerbation of parkinsonian symptoms. ..
- Boer A, Burgers L, Mangnus L, Ten Brinck R, Nieuwenhuis W, van Steenbergen H, et al. Using a reference when defining an abnormal MRI reduces false-positive MRI results-a longitudinal study in two cohorts at risk for rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1700-1706 pubmed publisher..Although common for other tests in medicine, this phenomenon is novel for MRI in the early detection of RA. ..
- Hinds P, Wang J, Stern E, Macpherson C, Wharton C, Okorosobo R, et al. Voices of children and adolescents on phase 1 or phase 2 cancer trials: A new trial endpoint?. Cancer. 2017;123:3799-3806 pubmed publisher..Reliable and valid findings can result, making patient self-reported outcomes a possible new trial endpoint. Cancer 2017;123:3799-3806. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Aimi G, Buggio L, Berlanda N, Vercellini P. Laparoscopic repair of a symptomatic post-cesarean section isthmocele: a video case report. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:e17-e18 pubmed publisher..Therefore, as demonstrated in this case, a laparoscopic approach might be considered to be the procedure of choice for the repair of a large uterine isthmocele with extreme thinning of the residual myometrium. ..
- Cave D, Freedman L. Seasonal variations in the clinical of presentation of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Int J Epidemiol. 1975;4:317-20 pubmed..A hypothesis is proposed that these findings provide epidemiological evidence, suggesting that Crohn's disease could be a transmissible condition, and that Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis may not be aetiologically related. ..
- Yoon H, Lee K, Sun I. Clinical severity of drug-induced hyponatremia: thiazides vs. psychotropics. Clin Nephrol. 2016;85:321-5 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it is of utmost importance to closely monitor patients who receive a thiazide and psychotropic drug simultaneously. ..
- Irwin M, Olmstead R, Carrillo C, Sadeghi N, Nicassio P, Ganz P, et al. Tai Chi Chih Compared With Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for the Treatment of Insomnia in Survivors of Breast Cancer: A Randomized, Partially Blinded, Noninferiority Trial. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35:2656-2665 pubmed publisher..Conclusion CBT-I and TCC produce clinically meaningful improvements in insomnia. TCC, a mindful movement meditation, was found to be statistically noninferior to CBT-I, the gold standard for behavioral treatment of insomnia. ..
- Cucato G, Zerati A, Chehuen M, Ritti Dias R, Saez G, Ragazzo L, et al. Comparison between subjective and objective methods to assess functional capacity during clinical treatment in patients with intermittent claudication. Einstein (Sao Paulo). 2013;11:495-9 pubmed..Thus, the subjective method provides similar information as compared with objective method, in monitoring the clinical treatment of patients with intermittent claudication. ..
- Xu J, Choy J, Tang J, Liu T, Luo H, Lou V, et al. Spontaneously Reported Symptoms by Informants Are Associated with Clinical Severity in Dementia Help-Seekers. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:1946-1952 pubmed publisher..001, Nagelkerke coefficient of determination = 29.7%, percentage correct 85.6%). The type and pervasiveness of symptoms spontaneously that informants reported predicted clinical severity. This may provide a quick reference for triage. ..
- Basch E, Pugh S, Dueck A, Mitchell S, Berk L, Fogh S, et al. Feasibility of Patient Reporting of Symptomatic Adverse Events via the Patient-Reported Outcomes Version of the Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (PRO-CTCAE) in a Chemoradiotherapy Cooperative Group Multicenter Clinical Trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:409-418 pubmed publisher..The observed causes of missing data may be obviated by allowing patients to self-report electronically between visits, and by using central compliance monitoring. These approaches are being incorporated into ongoing studies. ..
- Tørring M, Murchie P, Hamilton W, Vedsted P, Esteva M, Lautrup M, et al. Evidence of advanced stage colorectal cancer with longer diagnostic intervals: a pooled analysis of seven primary care cohorts comprising 11?720 patients in five countries. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:888-897 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the study cannot define a specific 'safe' waiting time as the length of the primary care interval appears to have negative impact from day one. ..
- Ma Y, Yang F, Jiao L, Li M, Wang Y, Chen Y, et al. Superficial Temporal Artery-Middle Cerebral Artery Bypass Surgery for Refractory Symptomatic Intracranial Atherosclerotic Stenosis. World Neurosurg. 2017;104:74-81 pubmed publisher..For refractory ICAS in patients with compromised hemodynamics, direct bypass might induce early occlusion of a stenotic area. MCA lesions may have a greater tendency toward early occlusion conversion. ..
- Cooley M, Siefert M. Assessment of Multiple Co-Occurring Cancer Symptoms in the Clinical Setting. Semin Oncol Nurs. 2016;32:361-372 pubmed publisherTo discuss multiple co-occurring cancer symptoms, review symptom assessment instruments, identify innovative methods to integrate symptom assessment and management in the clinical setting, and examine barriers and facilitators for ..
- Shah S, Bachur R, Simel D, Neuman M. Does This Child Have Pneumonia?: The Rational Clinical Examination Systematic Review. JAMA. 2017;318:462-471 pubmed publisher..32-0.67]). Although no single finding reliably differentiates pneumonia from other causes of childhood respiratory illness, hypoxia and increased work of breathing are more important than tachypnea and auscultatory findings. ..
- Ye B, Jiang L, Lin L, Wang Y, Wang M. Reflux episodes and esophageal impedance levels in patients with typical and atypical symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7978 pubmed publisher..05). Thus, atypical GERD symptoms were more likely to be associated with NAR. The mucosal integrity of the proximal esophagus might be relatively impaired in GERD patients with typical symptoms for NAR. ..
- Dargham S, Ahmed L, Kilpatrick E, Atkin S. The prevalence and metabolic characteristics of polycystic ovary syndrome in the Qatari population. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181467 pubmed publisher..05). By NIH guidelines the prevalence of PCOS in this Qatari cohort was 12.1% that would likely reflect 20% by Rotterdam criteria, with a markedly more metabolic phenotype than Qatari controls. ..
- Casanova C, Marin J, Martinez Gonzalez C, de Lucas Ramos P, Mir Viladrich I, Cosio B, et al. Differential Effect of Modified Medical Research Council Dyspnea, COPD Assessment Test, and Clinical COPD Questionnaire for Symptoms Evaluation Within the New GOLD Staging and Mortality in COPD. Chest. 2015;148:159-168 pubmed publisher..We suggest new thresholds for CAT and CCQ scores based on mortality risk that could be useful for the new GOLD grading classification. ClinicalTrials.gov; No.: NCT01122758; URL: www.clinicaltrials.gov. ..
- Araújo L, Lopes L, Silva P, Perrusi V, Farias V, Azevedo E. Sensory symptoms in patients undergoing thyroidectomy. Codas. 2017;29:e20150294 pubmed publisher..Reduction in the sensory symptom of choke and in the frequency and severity of throat dryness was self-reported by thyroidectomy patients postoperatively. ..
- Huang H, Feng R, Li J, Song X, Li S, Xu K, et al. Castleman disease-associated diffuse parenchymal lung disease: A STROBE-compliant retrospective observational analysis of 22 cases in a tertiary Chinese hospital. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8173 pubmed publisher..More than half of the patients improved after chemotherapy. A well-designed prospective study should be performed to confirm these results. ..
- Cavero T, Rabasco C, Molero A, BlÃ¡zquez A, HernÃ¡ndez E, MartÃn M, et al. When should a nephrologist suspect a mitochondrial disease?. Nefrologia. 2015;35:6-17 pubmed publisher..Specific treatments do not exist for the majority of mitochondrial diseases, but it is likely that the intense research that currently exists for these diseases will eventually produce effective treatment possibilities. ..
- Paez M, Gramelspacher A, Sinacore J, Winterfield L, Venu M. Delay in Diagnosis of Celiac Disease in Patients Without Gastrointestinal Complaints. Am J Med. 2017;130:1318-1323 pubmed publisher..997). Although there is growing awareness of celiac disease, the delay in diagnosis for patients without gastrointestinal symptoms remains prolonged, with an average delay of 3.5 years. ..
- Turner P, Lefevre C. Instagram use is linked to increased symptoms of orthorexia nervosa. Eat Weight Disord. 2017;22:277-284 pubmed publisher..These results may also have clinical implications for eating disorder development and recovery. ..
- Dunogué B, Pilmis B, Mahlaoui N, Elie C, Coignard Biehler H, Amazzough K, et al. Chronic Granulomatous Disease in Patients Reaching Adulthood: A Nationwide Study in France. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;64:767-775 pubmed publisher..The high rate of handicap has become a matter of medical and social consideration. Careful follow-up in centers of expertise is strongly recommended and an extended indication of curative treatment by HSCT should be considered. ..
- Winters Stone K, Horak F, Jacobs P, Trubowitz P, Dieckmann N, Stoyles S, et al. Falls, Functioning, and Disability Among Women With Persistent Symptoms of Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35:2604-2612 pubmed publisher..CIPN must be assessed earlier in the clinical pathway, and strategies to limit symptom progression and to improve function must be included in clinical and survivorship care plans. ..
- Donahoe L, Vanderlaan R, Thenganatt J, McRae K, Bykova A, Moric J, et al. Symptoms Are More Useful Than Echocardiography in Patient Selection for Pulmonary Endarterectomy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:1179-1185 pubmed publisher..Symptomatic patients with functional limitation and persistent mismatched perfusion defects on VQ scan should undergo further investigations with pulmonary angiogram and RHC. ..
- Koloski N, Jones M, Hammer J, von Wulffen M, Shah A, Hoelz H, et al. The Validity of a New Structured Assessment of Gastrointestinal Symptoms Scale (SAGIS) for Evaluating Symptoms in the Clinical Setting. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:1913-1922 pubmed publisher..To facilitate standardized symptom assessment in the routine clinical setting, we developed the Structured Assessment of Gastrointestinal Symptom (SAGIS) ..
- Menezes J, Luvisaro B, Rodrigues C, Muzi C, Guimarães R. Test-retest reliability of Brazilian version of Memorial Symptom Assessment Scale for assessing symptoms in cancer patients. Einstein (Sao Paulo). 2017;15:148-154 pubmed publisherTo assess the test-retest reliability of the Memorial Symptom Assessment Scale translated and culturally adapted into Brazilian Portuguese...
- Schwartz Z, Frey M, Philips S, Curtin J. Endometrial cancer surveillance adherence reduces utilization and subsequent costs. Gynecol Oncol. 2017;146:514-518 pubmed publisher..This reduction does not appear to affect patient outcomes and led to an appreciable decrease in surveillance costs. ..
- Dune T, Price T, Hilt E, Thomas White K, Kliethermes S, Brincat C, et al. Urinary Symptoms and Their Associations With Urinary Tract Infections in Urogynecologic Patients. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;130:718-725 pubmed publisher..In this cohort study, we enrolled 150 urogynecologic patients who completed the validated UTI Symptom Assessment questionnaire and contributed transurethral catheterized urine samples...
- Portz J, Kutner J, Blatchford P, Ritchie C. High Symptom Burden and Low Functional Status in the Setting of Multimorbidity. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:2285-2289 pubmed publisher..hematologic malignancies), multimorbidity (Charlson Comorbidity Index (CCI) score), symptom burden (Edmonton Symptom Assessment Scale (ESAS) score, number of symptoms with ESAS severity score >4), functional status (Australia-..
- Ames N, Powers J, Ranucci A, Gartrell K, Yang L, VanRaden M, et al. A systematic approach for studying the signs and symptoms of fever in adult patients: the fever assessment tool (FAST). Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:84 pubmed publisher..g. feeling warm), symptoms such as Difficulty Breathing (17) were identified with fever. Further study in a larger, more diverse patient population is warranted. Clinical Trials Number: NCT01287143 (January 2011). ..
- Gamst Jensen H, Lippert F, Egerod I. Under-triage in telephone consultation is related to non-normative symptom description and interpersonal communication: a mixed methods study. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2017;25:52 pubmed publisher..We recommend that caller and call-handler collaborate systematically on problem identification and negotiate non-normative symptom description. ..
- Rifbjerg Madsen S, Wæhrens E, Danneskiold Samsøe B, Amris K. Psychometric properties of the painDETECT questionnaire in rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and spondyloarthritis: Rasch analysis and test-retest reliability. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:110 pubmed publisher..The results support that the PDQ can be used as a classification instrument and assist identification of underlying pain-mechanisms in patients suffering from inflammatory arthritis. ..
- Walker U, Mueller R, Jaeger V, Theiler R, Forster A, Dufner P, et al. Disease activity dynamics in rheumatoid arthritis: patients' self-assessment of disease activity via WebApp. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1707-1712 pubmed publisher..This provides a rationale for further exploration of their use as cost-effective tools to monitor RA activity between outpatient visits and to optimize tight control strategies. ..
- Amer M, Kabbash I, Younes A, Elzayat S, Tomoum M. Validation and cross-cultural adaptation of the arabic version of the nasal obstruction symptom evaluation scale. Laryngoscope. 2017;127:2455-2459 pubmed publisher..The A-NOSE scale is a valid instrument for evaluating the subjective severity of nasal obstruction and is recommended to be used in rhinology research and daily practice. 3b. Laryngoscope, 127:2455-2459, 2017. ..
- Schorr E, Treat Jacobson D, Lindquist R. The Relationship Between Peripheral Artery Disease Symptomatology and Ischemia. Nurs Res. 2017;66:378-387 pubmed publisher..Future research should evaluate changes in TSI relative to atypical locations and descriptors to improve understanding of the full range of ischemic symptoms experienced by individuals with PAD. ..
- Olupot Olupot P, Engoru C, Uyoga S, Muhindo R, Macharia A, Kiguli S, et al. High Frequency of Blackwater Fever Among Children Presenting to Hospital With Severe Febrile Illnesses in Eastern Uganda. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;64:939-946 pubmed publisher..In the Fluid Expansion as a Supportive Treatment (FEAST) trial, an unexpectedly high proportion of participants from eastern Uganda presented with blackwater fever (BWF)...
- Mallebranche C, Carton M, Minard Colin V, Desfachelle A, Rome A, Brisse H, et al. [Relapse after rhabdomyosarcoma in childhood and adolescence: Impact of an early detection on survival]. Bull Cancer. 2017;104:625-635 pubmed publisher..47.1 % vs. 48.6 % P= 0.94). Current methods of systematic surveillance after a first-line treatment of an initially localized rhabdomyosarcoma seem to improve the earliness of the diagnosis, but not the prognosis of the relapse. ..
- Parakh S, Park J, Mendis S, Rai R, Xu W, Lo S, et al. Efficacy of anti-PD-1 therapy in patients with melanoma brain metastases. Br J Cancer. 2017;116:1558-1563 pubmed publisher..8 vs 13.1 months, P=0.039). IC responses to anti-PD-1 antibodies occur in pts with BM, including those with symptomatic BM requiring corticosteroids. Prospective trials evaluating anti-PD-1 therapy in pts with BM are underway. ..
- Andrews P, Joseph J, Li C, Nip L, Jacques T, Leung T. A UK survey of current ENT practice in the assessment of nasal patency. J Laryngol Otol. 2017;131:702-706 pubmed publisher..There is a desire for a simple, non-invasive device that objectively measures airflow for nasal breathing during physiological resting and correlates with subjective symptom scores. ..
- Rossini R, Lina D, Ferlini M, Belotti G, Caico S, Caravati F, et al. [Management of outpatients with cardiac disease: follow-up timing and modalities]. G Ital Cardiol (Rome). 2017;18:467-484 pubmed publisher..It will also provide an overview about appropriate use of diagnostic exams (echocardiogram, stress test), about the appropriate timing of their execution, in order to ensure effectiveness, efficiency, and equity of the health system. ..
- Choi J, Campbell M, GÃ©linas C, Happ M, Tate J, Chlan L. Symptom assessment in non-vocal or cognitively impaired ICU patients: Implications for practice and future research. Heart Lung. 2017;46:239-245 pubmed publisherb>Symptom assessment in critically ill patients is challenging because many cannot provide a self-report...
- Ritchie C, Zhao F, Patel K, Manola J, Kvale E, Snyder C, et al. Association between patients' perception of the comorbidity burden and symptoms in outpatients with common solid tumors. Cancer. 2017;123:3835-3842 pubmed publisher..Greater attention to comorbid conditions is needed to optimize the symptom management of cancer patients with multimorbidity. Cancer 2017;123:3835-3842. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Burgers L, van Steenbergen H, Ten Brinck R, Huizinga T, van der Helm van Mil A. Differences in the symptomatic phase preceding ACPA-positive and ACPA-negative RA: a longitudinal study in arthralgia during progression to clinical arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:1751-1754 pubmed publisher..This contributes to the notion that ACPA-positive and ACPA-negative RA develop differently. ..