remote sensing technology
Summary: Observation and acquisition of physical data from a distance by viewing and making measurements from a distance or receiving transmitted data from observations made at distant location.
- Pereira G, Lee H, Bell M, Regan A, Malacova E, Mullins B, et al. Development of a model for particulate matter pollution in Australia with implications for other satellite-based models. Environ Res. 2017;159:9-15 pubmed publisher..The inclusion of AOD and other predictors did not substantially improve model performance. Temporal models were sufficient to account for daily PM10 variation recorded by statutory monitors. ..
- Jarchi D, Wong C, Kwasnicki R, Heller B, Tew G, Yang G. Gait parameter estimation from a miniaturized ear-worn sensor using singular spectrum analysis and longest common subsequence. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2014;61:1261-73 pubmed publisher..The upper and lower limits of the absolute errors using 95% confidence intervals for swing, stance, and stride times were obtained as 35.5 ±3.99 ms, 36.9 ±3.84 ms, and 17.9 ±2.29 ms, respectively. ..
- Yang X, Zheng Y, Geng G, Liu H, Man H, Lv Z, et al. Development of PM2.5 and NO2 models in a LUR framework incorporating satellite remote sensing and air quality model data in Pearl River Delta region, China. Environ Pollut. 2017;226:143-153 pubmed publisher..4% of the spatial variation. Pollution surfaces at 200 m*200 m resolution were generated according to the best performed models. ..
- Cronin E, Jones P, Seth M, Varma N. Right Ventricular Pacing Increases Risk of Appropriate Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Shocks Asymmetrically: An Analysis of the ALTITUDE Database. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..We analyzed a large remote monitoring database to assess this question...
- Scotson L, Fredriksson G, Ngoprasert D, Wong W, Fieberg J. Projecting range-wide sun bear population trends using tree cover and camera-trap bycatch data. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185336 pubmed publisher..The advantages of this approach is that it is objective, data-driven, repeatable, and it requires that all assumptions be clearly stated. ..
- Chen F, Yang S, Yin K, Chan P. Challenges to quantitative applications of Landsat observations for the urban thermal environment. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;59:80-88 pubmed publisher..e., thermal infrared) for global change monitoring, while several climate data record programs being in progress. ..
- Ledien J, Sorn S, Hem S, Huy R, Buchy P, Tarantola A, et al. Assessing the performance of remotely-sensed flooding indicators and their potential contribution to early warning for leptospirosis in Cambodia. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181044 pubmed publisher..042). These results suggest that MNDWI may be useful as a risk indicator in an early warning remote sensing tool for flood-driven diseases like leptospirosis in South East Asia. ..
- Hofmann S, Everaars J, Schweiger O, Frenzel M, Bannehr L, Cord A. Modelling patterns of pollinator species richness and diversity using satellite image texture. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185591 pubmed publisher..Our study also highlights the substantial variability among taxa in the applicability of texture metrics for modelling biodiversity...
- Lo G, Gonzalez Valenzuela S, Leung V. Wireless body area network node localization using small-scale spatial information. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform. 2013;17:715-26 pubmed..Our statistical analysis has shown that by continuously monitoring the patient's limb positions, the WBAN would be better able to discriminate “fall-like” motions from actual falls. ..
- Arribas Bel D, Patiño J, Duque J. Remote sensing-based measurement of Living Environment Deprivation: Improving classical approaches with machine learning. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176684 pubmed publisher..54, followed by Gradient Boost Regressor with 0.5. Both the spatial lag model and the OLS fall behind with significantly lower performances of 0.43 and 0.3, respectively. ..
- Erdmann W, Giovanis V, Aschenbrenner P, Kiriakis V, Suchanowski A. Methods for acquiring data on terrain geomorphology, course geometry and kinematics of competitors' runs in alpine skiing: a historical review. Acta Bioeng Biomech. 2017;19:69-79 pubmed..Some methods were used together. In order to provide detailed data on course setting and skiers' running it is recommended to analyse course geometry and kinematics data of competitors' running for all important competitions. ..
- Rosenfeld A, Dorman M, Schwartz J, Novack V, Just A, Kloog I. Estimating daily minimum, maximum, and mean near surface air temperature using hybrid satellite models across Israel. Environ Res. 2017;159:297-312 pubmed publisher..These predictions can be used as three separate Ta exposures in epidemiology studies for better diurnal exposure assessment. ..
- Dumas P, Ham J, Kaku R, William A, Kaltavara J, Gereva S, et al. Tectus (Trochus) niloticus search for suitable habitats can cause equivocal benefits of protection in village-based marine reserves. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176922 pubmed publisher..This has strong implications in the Pacific where the location and size of reserves primarily depends upon marine tenure, and communities have little flexibility in setting reserve boundaries. ..
- Jaime González C, Acebes P, Mateos A, Mezquida E. Bridging gaps: On the performance of airborne LiDAR to model wood mouse-habitat structure relationships in pine forests. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182451 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that LiDAR is a promising technology for further exploring habitat preferences by small mammal communities. ..
- Young H, Nigro K, McCauley D, Ballance L, Oleson E, Baumann Pickering S. Limited trophic partitioning among sympatric delphinids off a tropical oceanic atoll. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181526 pubmed publisher..It is also possible that isotopic signatures are inadequate to detect trophic partitioning in this environment, possibly because isotopes of prey are highly variable or insufficiently resolved to allow for differentiation. ..
- Abraham W, Perl L. Implantable Hemodynamic Monitoring for Heart Failure Patients. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:389-398 pubmed publisher..Next-generation" implantable hemodynamic monitors are in development, and novel approaches for the use of this data promise to expand the use of pressure-guided heart failure management. ..
- Goodman R, Phillips O, Baker T. The importance of crown dimensions to improve tropical tree biomass estimates. Ecol Appl. 2014;24:680-98 pubmed..Our analysis suggests that accounting for crown allometry would substantially improve the accuracy of tropical estimates of tree biomass and its distribution in primary and degraded forests. ..
- Rugel E, Henderson S, Carpiano R, Brauer M. Beyond the Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI): Developing a Natural Space Index for population-level health research. Environ Res. 2017;159:474-483 pubmed publisher..Many current approaches to modeling natural space may misclassify exposures and have limited specificity. The Natural Space Index represents a novel approach at a regional scale with application to urban planning and policy-making. ..
- Feng F, Li X, Yao Y, Liu M. Long-term spatial distributions and trends of the latent heat fluxes over the global cropland ecosystem using multiple satellite-based models. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183771 pubmed publisher..The reduced performances of MOD16 and RRS, with R2 ranging from 0.4 to 0.6 and RMSEs from 30 to 39 W/m2, might be attributed to empirical parameters in the structure algorithms and calibrated coefficients. ..
- Angelidis I, Levin G, Díaz Varela R, Malinowski R. Assessment of changes in formations of non-forest woody vegetation in southern Denmark based on airborne LiDAR. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:437 pubmed publisherLiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) is a remote sensing technology that uses light in the form of pulses to measure the range between a sensor and the Earth's surface...
- Roh T, Song K, Cho H, Shin D, Yoo H. A wearable neuro-feedback system with EEG-based mental status monitoring and transcranial electrical stimulation. IEEE Trans Biomed Circuits Syst. 2014;8:755-64 pubmed publisher..45 mW to yield 16 independent components. For non-invasive neuro-modulation, tES stimulation up to 2 mA is implemented on the SoC. The NFS is fabricated in 130-nm CMOS technology. ..
- Li Y, Cui C, Liu Z, Liu B, Xu J, Zhu X, et al. Detection and Monitoring of Oil Spills Using Moderate/High-Resolution Remote Sensing Images. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 2017;73:154-169 pubmed publisher..88 s). The test image dataset was composed of different types of features over large areas in complicated imaging conditions. The proposed model was proved to be robust in complex sea conditions. ..
- MCCARTHY M, Colna K, El Mezayen M, Laureano Rosario A, Méndez Lázaro P, Otis D, et al. Satellite Remote Sensing for Coastal Management: A Review of Successful Applications. Environ Manage. 2017;60:323-339 pubmed publisher..Here we review examples of remote sensing applications in the sectors of coral reefs, wetlands, water quality, public health, and fisheries and aquaculture that have successfully contributed to management and decision-making goals. ..
- Fan J, Yue X, Sun Q, Wang S. Case study of dust event sources from the Gobi and Taklamakan deserts: An investigation of the horizontal evolution and topographical effect using numerical modeling and remote sensing. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;56:62-70 pubmed publisher..The Tarim Basin has a topographical effect as a "dust reservoir" and can store unsettled dust, which can be released again as a second source, making a dust event longer and heavier. ..
- Abraham W. The Role of Implantable Hemodynamic Monitors to Manage Heart Failure. Cardiol Clin. 2017;35:273-279 pubmed publisher..The use of a pulmonary artery pressure measurement system has been shown to reduce the risk of heart failure hospitalization in patients with systolic and diastolic heart failure. ..
- Bamford A, Razafindrajao F, Young R, Hilton G. Profound and pervasive degradation of Madagascar's freshwater wetlands and links with biodiversity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182673 pubmed publisher..Large-scale restoration of degraded wetlands is required for the long-term conservation of Madagascar's freshwater biodiversity. ..
- Zainuddin M, Farhum A, Safruddin S, Selamat M, Sudirman S, Nurdin N, et al. Detection of pelagic habitat hotspots for skipjack tuna in the Gulf of Bone-Flores Sea, southwestern Coral Triangle tuna, Indonesia. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185601 pubmed publisher..2 mg m-3 Chl-a isopleth, suggesting that the Chl-a front provides a key oceanographic indicator for global understanding on skipjack tuna habitat hotspots in the western tropical Pacific Ocean, especially within Coral Triangle tuna...
- Páez Rosas D, Villegas Amtmann S, Costa D. Intraspecific variation in feeding strategies of Galapagos sea lions: A case of trophic specialization. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185165 pubmed publisher..wollebaeki has developed a high degree of foraging flexibility, thus increasing its survival rate in an ecosystem that is highly demanding in terms of resource availability...
- Konrad S, Paduraru P, Romero Barrios P, Henderson S, Galanis E. Remote sensing measurements of sea surface temperature as an indicator of Vibrio parahaemolyticus in oyster meat and human illnesses. Environ Health. 2017;16:92 pubmed publisher..Monitoring of SST, particularly through readily accessible remote sensing data, could serve as a warning signal for Vp and help inform the introduction and cessation of preventative or control measures. ..
- Cook D, Schmitter Edgecombe M, Dawadi P. Analyzing Activity Behavior and Movement in a Naturalistic Environment Using Smart Home Techniques. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform. 2015;19:1882-92 pubmed publisher..97 with an area under the ROC curve value of 0.97 in distinguishing these groups. Our permutation-based testing confirms that the sensor-based differences between these groups are statistically significant. ..
- Thurfjell H, Ciuti S, Boyce M. Learning from the mistakes of others: How female elk (Cervus elaphus) adjust behaviour with age to avoid hunters. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178082 pubmed publisher..Such information is a critical component of the effects of human exploitation of wildlife populations with implications for improving their management and conservation. ..
- Voros S, Moreau Gaudry A. Sensor, signal, and imaging informatics: big data and smart health technologies. Yearb Med Inform. 2014;9:150-3 pubmed publisher..This review shows that it is necessary not only to develop new tools specifically designed for Big Data, but also to evaluate their performance on such large datasets. ..
- Akl A, Taati B, Mihailidis A. Autonomous unobtrusive detection of mild cognitive impairment in older adults. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2015;62:1383-1394 pubmed publisher..97 and an area under the precision-recall curve of 0.93 using a time window of 24 weeks. This study is of great significance since it can potentially assist in the early detection of cognitive impairment in older adults. ..
- Sunder S, Ramsankaran R, Ramakrishnan B. Inter-comparison of remote sensing-based shoreline mapping techniques at different coastal stretches of India. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:290 pubmed publisher..Results indicate that unlike these two indices, the AWEI algorithm performs consistently well followed by MNDWI irrespective of the land cover types. ..