intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring
Summary: The systematic checking of the condition and function of a patient's CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM during the course of a surgical operation.
- Zhao H, Zhang X, Zhang Y, Tang Y, Zhu J, Wang X, et al. Results of Atypical Hemifacial Spasm with Microvascular Decompression: 14 Case Reports and Literature Review. World Neurosurg. 2017;105:605-611 pubmed publisher..Most of the cases of AHFS studied here were caused by neurovascular conflict in zone IV of the facial nerve distal to the root entry zone. MVD surgery is the first choice treatment for AHFS. ..
- Barzilai O, Lidar Z, Constantini S, Salame K, Bitan Talmor Y, Korn A. Continuous mapping of the corticospinal tracts in intramedullary spinal cord tumor surgery using an electrified ultrasonic aspirator. J Neurosurg Spine. 2017;27:161-168 pubmed publisher..Microsurgical resection of IMSCTs is currently considered the primary treatment modality. Intraoperative neurophysiological monitoring (IONM) has been shown to aid in maximizing tumor resection and minimizing neurological ..
- Lawson McLean A, Frank S, Staribacher D, Kalff R, Reichart R. Biplanar Fluoroscopy-Guided Percutaneous Lead Implantation for Spinal Cord Stimulation: Technical Note. World Neurosurg. 2017;105:760-764 pubmed publisher..This arrangement correlated with a reduction in surgery duration without increasing total radiation exposure, representing a practical and safe adjustment to current practice. ..
- Al Qurayshi Z, Kandil E, Randolph G. Cost-effectiveness of intraoperative nerve monitoring in avoidance of bilateral recurrent laryngeal nerve injury in patients undergoing total thyroidectomy. Br J Surg. 2017;104:1523-1531 pubmed publisher..Use of IONM is cost-effective in patients undergoing bilateral thyroid surgery. ..
- Efrati S, Bolotin G, Levi L, Zaaroor M, Guralnik L, Weksler N, et al. Optimization of Endotracheal Tube Cuff Pressure by Monitoring CO2 Levels in the Subglottic Space in Mechanically Ventilated Patients: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:1309-1315 pubmed publisher..Thus, the use of automatic cuff pressure control based on subglottic measurements of CO2 levels is an effective method for ETT cuff pressure optimization. The method is safe and can be easily utilized with any intubated patient. ..
- Zhou Q, Li M, Yi L, He B, Li X, Jiang Y. Intraoperative neuromonitoring during brain arteriovenous malformation microsurgeries and postoperative dysfunction: A retrospective follow-up study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8054 pubmed publisher..Moreover, a larger sample size is required to demonstrate the usefulness of IONM during awake craniotomies. ..