Summary: A comprehensive map of the physical interconnections of an organism's neural networks. This modular organization of neuronal architecture is believed to underlie disease mechanisms and the biological development of the CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.
- Zylbertal A, Yarom Y, Wagner S. Synchronous Infra-Slow Bursting in the Mouse Accessory Olfactory Bulb Emerge from Interplay between Intrinsic Neuronal Dynamics and Network Connectivity. J Neurosci. 2017;37:2656-2672 pubmed publisher..Combined with the unique topology of the AOB network, infra-slow bursting enables integration and binding of multiple chemosensory stimuli over a prolonged time scale. ..
- Wang M, Owen J, Mukherjee P, Raj A. Brain network eigenmodes provide a robust and compact representation of the structural connectome in health and disease. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005550 pubmed publisherRecent research has demonstrated the use of the structural connectome as a powerful tool to characterize the network architecture of the brain and potentially generate biomarkers for neurologic and psychiatric disorders...
- Rajan R, Popa T, Quartarone A, Ghilardi M, Kishore A. Cortical plasticity and levodopa-induced dyskinesias in Parkinson's disease: Connecting the dots in a multicomponent network. Clin Neurophysiol. 2017;128:992-999 pubmed publisher..Targeting the cerebellum seems to be a justified approach for future interventions aimed at attenuating levodopa-induced dyskinesias. ..
- Jie B, Shen D, Zhang D. Brain connectivity hyper-network for MCI classification. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2014;17:724-32 pubmed..The experimental results demonstrate the efficacy of our proposed method for MCI classification with comparison to the conventional connectivity network based methods. ..
- Krienen F, Yeo B, Buckner R. Reconfigurable task-dependent functional coupling modes cluster around a core functional architecture. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2014;369: pubmed publisher..Reconfigurable coupling modes emerge as significant modifications to a core functional architecture. ..
- Maass A, Berron D, Libby L, Ranganath C, Duzel E. Functional subregions of the human entorhinal cortex. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Our data provide the first evidence that the human EC can be divided into functional subdivisions whose functional connectivity closely parallels the known anatomical connectivity patterns of the rodent and nonhuman primate EC. ..
- Kuhns A, Dombert P, Mengotti P, Fink G, Vossel S. Spatial Attention, Motor Intention, and Bayesian Cue Predictability in the Human Brain. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5334-5344 pubmed publisher..These findings provide novel insights into the generality and specificity of predictive processing signatures in the human brain. ..
- Bonilha L, Hillis A, Hickok G, den Ouden D, Rorden C, Fridriksson J. Temporal lobe networks supporting the comprehension of spoken words. Brain. 2017;140:2370-2380 pubmed publisher..We aimed to resolve this controversy using a combined voxel-based-and structural connectome-lesion symptom mapping approach, since cortical dysfunction after stroke can arise from cortical damage or from ..
- Grandjean J, Zerbi V, Balsters J, Wenderoth N, Rudin M. Structural Basis of Large-Scale Functional Connectivity in the Mouse. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8092-8101 pubmed publisher..In both humans and nonhuman primates, patterns of FC (often referred to as the functional connectome) have been related to the underlying structural connectivity (SC; also called the structural connectome)...
- Fuertinger S, Simonyan K. Connectome-Wide Phenotypical and Genotypical Associations in Focal Dystonia. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7438-7449 pubmed publisher..Here, we outline a novel concept of functional connectome-wide alterations that are linked to dystonia phenotype and genotype...
- Duffy F, Shankardass A, McAnulty G, Als H. A unique pattern of cortical connectivity characterizes patients with attention deficit disorders: a large electroencephalographic coherence study. BMC Med. 2017;15:51 pubmed publisher..Coherence factor loading constitutes an ADD-specific pattern or 'connectome'. RESULTS: PCA identified 40 factors explaining 50% of total variance...
- Bassett D, Khambhati A. A network engineering perspective on probing and perturbing cognition with neurofeedback. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2017;1396:126-143 pubmed publisher..We close with an outline of current frontiers that bridge neurofeedback, connectomics, and network control theory to better understand human cognition. ..
- Ezaki T, Watanabe T, Ohzeki M, Masuda N. Energy landscape analysis of neuroimaging data. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2017;375: pubmed publisher..This article is part of the themed issue 'Mathematical methods in medicine: neuroscience, cardiology and pathology'. ..
- Mijalkov M, Kakaei E, Pereira J, Westman E, Volpe G. BRAPH: A graph theory software for the analysis of brain connectivity. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178798 pubmed publisher..This representation of the brain as a connectome can be used to assess important measures that reflect its topological architecture...
- Pandya S, Kuceyeski A, Raj A. The Brain's Structural Connectome Mediates the Relationship between Regional Neuroimaging Biomarkers in Alzheimer's Disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2017;55:1639-1657 pubmed publisher..Thereby, the brain's connectome information can be used to predict the process of disease spread in AD...
- Hodgson K, Carless M, Kulkarni H, Curran J, Sprooten E, Knowles E, et al. Epigenetic Age Acceleration Assessed with Human White-Matter Images. J Neurosci. 2017;37:4735-4743 pubmed publisher..Therefore, epigenetic age may be a potential, and accessible, biomarker of brain aging. ..
- Seymour K, Reinblatt S, Benson L, Carnell S. Overlapping neurobehavioral circuits in ADHD, obesity, and binge eating: evidence from neuroimaging research. CNS Spectr. 2015;20:401-11 pubmed..Based on our review, we also identify gaps within the literature that would benefit from further research. ..
- Ciric R, Wolf D, Power J, Roalf D, Baum G, Ruparel K, et al. Benchmarking of participant-level confound regression strategies for the control of motion artifact in studies of functional connectivity. Neuroimage. 2017;154:174-187 pubmed publisher..Importantly, less effective de-noising methods are also unable to identify modular network structure in the connectome. Taken together, these results emphasize the heterogeneous efficacy of existing methods, and suggest that ..
- Shein Idelson M, Pammer L, Hemberger M, Laurent G. Large-scale mapping of cortical synaptic projections with extracellular electrode arrays. Nat Methods. 2017;14:882-890 pubmed publisher..Combining our approach with soma triangulation, we reveal an axonal projection bias among a population of pyramidal neurons in turtle cortex and confirm this bias through anatomical reconstructions. ..
- Petrican R, Grady C. Contextual and Developmental Differences in the Neural Architecture of Cognitive Control. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7711-7726 pubmed publisher..putative core cognitive control component, in a subsample (N = 359, 22-36 years, 174 men) of the Human Connectome Project...
- Lord L, Stevner A, Deco G, Kringelbach M. Understanding principles of integration and segregation using whole-brain computational connectomics: implications for neuropsychiatric disorders. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2017;375: pubmed publisher..This article is part of the themed issue 'Mathematical methods in medicine: neuroscience, cardiology and pathology'. ..
- Maslennikov O, Shchapin D, Nekorkin V. Transient sequences in a hypernetwork generated by an adaptive network of spiking neurons. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2017;375: pubmed publisher..This article is part of the themed issue 'Mathematical methods in medicine: neuroscience, cardiology and pathology'. ..
- Schomers M, Garagnani M, Pulvermüller F. Neurocomputational Consequences of Evolutionary Connectivity Changes in Perisylvian Language Cortex. J Neurosci. 2017;37:3045-3055 pubmed publisher..These results offer a better understanding of specifically human anatomical features for language and their evolutionary selection advantage. ..
- O Reilly C, Lewis J, Elsabbagh M. Is functional brain connectivity atypical in autism? A systematic review of EEG and MEG studies. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175870 pubmed publisher..Frequency-band specific patterns and their relationships with known symptoms of autism also need to be further clarified. ..
- Peikon I, Kebschull J, Vagin V, Ravens D, Sun Y, Brouzes E, et al. Using high-throughput barcode sequencing to efficiently map connectomes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:e115 pubmed publisher..At present, the only available method for determining a neural wiring diagram with single synapse precision-a 'connectome'-is based on imaging methods that are slow, labor-intensive and expensive...
- Romano S, Pérez Schuster V, Jouary A, Boulanger Weill J, Candeo A, Pietri T, et al. An integrated calcium imaging processing toolbox for the analysis of neuronal population dynamics. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005526 pubmed publisher..The toolbox open-source code, a step-by-step tutorial and a case study dataset are available at https://github.com/zebrain-lab/Toolbox-Romano-et-al. ..
- Munnamalai V, Sienknecht U, Duncan R, Scott M, Thawani A, Fantetti K, et al. Wnt9a Can Influence Cell Fates and Neural Connectivity across the Radial Axis of the Developing Cochlea. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8975-8988 pubmed publisher..The extraneous tall HCs that replaced short HCs showed some physiological properties and neuronal connections consistent with a fate switch. ..
- Hellyer P, Clopath C, Kehagia A, Turkheimer F, Leech R. From homeostasis to behavior: Balanced activity in an exploration of embodied dynamic environmental-neural interaction. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005721 pubmed publisher..g., the default mode network). ..
- Navarro SchrÃ¶der T, Haak K, Zaragoza Jimenez N, Beckmann C, Doeller C. Functional topography of the human entorhinal cortex. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Localising the human homologue of the rodent MEC and LEC has important implications for translating studies on the hippocampo-entorhinal memory system from rodents to humans. ..
- Pagani M, Giuliani A, Oberg J, De Carli F, Morbelli S, Girtler N, et al. Progressive Disintegration of Brain Networking from Normal Aging to Alzheimer Disease: Analysis of Independent Components of 18F-FDG PET Data. J Nucl Med. 2017;58:1132-1139 pubmed publisher..This information might be useful as a prognostic aid for individual patients and as a surrogate biomarker in intervention trials. ..
- de Haan W, van Straaten E, Gouw A, Stam C. Altering neuronal excitability to preserve network connectivity in a computational model of Alzheimer's disease. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005707 pubmed publisher..The present approach may help to explore therapeutic effects aimed at preserving or restoring neuronal network integrity and contribute to better-informed intervention choices in future clinical trials in AD...
- Milano M, Guzzi P, Tymofieva O, Xu D, Hess C, Veltri P, et al. An extensive assessment of network alignment algorithms for comparison of brain connectomes. BMC Bioinformatics. 2017;18:235 pubmed publisherRecently the study of the complex system of connections in neural systems, i.e. the connectome, has gained a central role in neurosciences. The modeling and analysis of connectomes are therefore a growing area...
- Ran Q, Yang J, Yang W, Wei D, Qiu J, Zhang D. The association between resting functional connectivity and dispositional optimism. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180334 pubmed publisher..These findings may be suggested that mTG and IFG which associated with emotion processes and emotion regulation also play an important role in the dispositional optimism. ..
- Hammond D, Scherrer B, Warfield S. Cortical graph smoothing: a novel method for exploiting DWI-derived anatomical brain connectivity to improve EEG source estimation. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2013;32:1952-63 pubmed publisher..Evaluated over a series of 18 subjects, the proposed cortical graph smoothing method shows superior localization accuracy compared to the minimum norm method, and greater relative peak intensity than the other comparison methods. ..
- Bohórquez D, Liddle R. The gut connectome: making sense of what you eat. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:888-90 pubmed publisher..We call this neuronal ensemble the "gut connectome" and summarize the work from a food sensory perspective.
- Dimitriadis S, Sun Y, Laskaris N, Thakor N, Bezerianos A. Revealing Cross-Frequency Causal Interactions During a Mental Arithmetic Task Through Symbolic Transfer Entropy: A Novel Vector-Quantization Approach. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2016;24:1017-1028 pubmed..Further statistical analysis revealed an increasing dSTENG strength following the task's difficulty. ..
- Burks J, Boettcher L, Conner A, Glenn C, Bonney P, Baker C, et al. White matter connections of the inferior parietal lobule: A study of surgical anatomy. Brain Behav. 2017;7:e00640 pubmed publisher..We sought to derive the surgical relationship between the IPL and underlying major white-matter bundles by characterizing macroscopic connectivity...
- Jung J, Kim S, Cho H, Nam K. Structural and functional correlates for language efficiency in auditory word processing. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184232 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that word processing efficiency can be achieved by in collaboration of multiple brain regions involved in language and general cognitive function structurally and functionally. ..
- Maurer A, Burke S, Diba K, Barnes C. Attenuated Activity across Multiple Cell Types and Reduced Monosynaptic Connectivity in the Aged Perirhinal Cortex. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8965-8974 pubmed publisher..The reduced inhibition in the perirhinal cortex reported here could contribute to this circuit imbalance, and may be a key point to consider for therapeutic interventions aimed at restoring network function to optimize cognition. ..
- Syan S, Minuzzi L, Costescu D, Smith M, Allega O, Coote M, et al. Influence of endogenous estradiol, progesterone, allopregnanolone, and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate on brain resting state functional connectivity across the menstrual cycle. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1246-1255.e4 pubmed publisher..It seems that the association between female sex hormones and brain Rs-FC is menstrual cycle phase-dependent. Future studies should examine the cognitive and behavioral correlates of this association in regularly cycling women. ..
- Buckley R, Schultz A, Hedden T, Papp K, Hanseeuw B, Marshall G, et al. Functional network integrity presages cognitive decline in preclinical Alzheimer disease. Neurology. 2017;89:29-37 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that rs-fcMRI may be a useful predictor of early, AD-related cognitive decline in clinical research settings. ..
- Song A, Kucyi A, Napadow V, Brown E, Loggia M, Akeju O. Pharmacological Modulation of Noradrenergic Arousal Circuitry Disrupts Functional Connectivity of the Locus Ceruleus in Humans. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6938-6945 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the PCC, thalamus, and basal ganglia are key components of a LC-noradrenergic arousal circuit. ..
- Coates K, Majot A, Zhang X, Michael C, Spitzer S, Gaudry Q, et al. Identified Serotonergic Modulatory Neurons Have Heterogeneous Synaptic Connectivity within the Olfactory System of Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7318-7331 pubmed publisher..Additionally, modulatory neuron output can be stereotyped, yet nonuniform, across network regions. Our results provide new insight into the synaptic relationships that underlie network function of modulatory neurons. ..
- Liao X, Vasilakos A, He Y. Small-world human brain networks: Perspectives and challenges. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2017;77:286-300 pubmed publisher..e., connectome) at the macroscopic level...
- Takagi K. A distribution model of functional connectome based on criticality and energy constraints. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177446 pubmed publisher..Our findings also suggest that the mechanism underlying this model is closely related to the cost effective behavior in human brain with maximizing the network efficiency for the given network cost. ..
- Eichler K, Li F, Litwin Kumar A, Park Y, Andrade I, Schneider Mizell C, et al. The complete connectome of a learning and memory centre in an insect brain. Nature. 2017;548:175-182 pubmed publisher..Stereotyped connections found between output neurons could enhance the selection of learned behaviours. The complete circuit map of the mushroom body should guide future functional studies of this learning and memory centre...
- Ding H, Smith R, Poleg Polsky A, Diamond J, Briggman K. Species-specific wiring for direction selectivity in the mammalian retina. Nature. 2016;535:105-10 pubmed..These predictions are confirmed with calcium imaging of mouse SAC dendrites responding to directional stimuli. ..
- Vanni M, Chan A, Balbi M, Silasi G, Murphy T. Mesoscale Mapping of Mouse Cortex Reveals Frequency-Dependent Cycling between Distinct Macroscale Functional Modules. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7513-7533 pubmed publisher..This work helps define the rules for how different cortical areas interact in time and space. We provide a framework necessary for future studies that explore functional reorganization of brain circuits in disease models. ..
- Boergens K, Berning M, Bocklisch T, Bräunlein D, Drawitsch F, Frohnhofen J, et al. webKnossos: efficient online 3D data annotation for connectomics. Nat Methods. 2017;14:691-694 pubmed publisher..webKnossos accelerates neurite reconstruction for connectomics by 4- to 13-fold compared with current state-of-the-art tools, thus extending the range of connectomes that can realistically be mapped in the future. ..
- Gal E, London M, Globerson A, Ramaswamy S, Reimann M, Muller E, et al. Rich cell-type-specific network topology in neocortical microcircuitry. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1004-1013 pubmed publisher..Our systematic approach enables interpretation of microconnectomics 'big data' and provides several experimentally testable predictions. ..
- Kesler S, Adams M, Packer M, Rao V, Henneghan A, Blayney D, et al. Disrupted brain network functional dynamics and hyper-correlation of structural and functional connectome topology in patients with breast cancer prior to treatment. Brain Behav. 2017;7:e00643 pubmed publisher..Several previous studies have demonstrated that cancer chemotherapy is associated with brain injury and cognitive dysfunction. However, evidence suggests that cancer pathogenesis alone may play a role, even in non-CNS cancers...
- Stevens W, Kravitz D, Peng C, Tessler M, Martin A. Privileged Functional Connectivity between the Visual Word Form Area and the Language System. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5288-5297 pubmed publisher..Our results support the hypothesis that intrinsic functional connectivity contributes to category-related specialization within the human ventral visual system. ..
- Wawrzyniak M, Hoffstaedter F, Klingbeil J, Stockert A, Wrede K, Hartwigsen G, et al. Fronto-temporal interactions are functionally relevant for semantic control in language processing. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177753 pubmed publisher..This interaction was functionally less relevant after cTBS over aIFG which might be interpretable in terms of an indirect disruptive effect of cTBS. ..
- Chen Y, Wang S, Hilgetag C, Zhou C. Features of spatial and functional segregation and integration of the primate connectome revealed by trade-off between wiring cost and efficiency. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005776 pubmed publisherThe primate connectome, possessing a characteristic global topology and specific regional connectivity profiles, is well organized to support both segregated and integrated brain function...
- Guo X, Jin Z, Feng X, Tong S. Enhanced effective connectivity in mild occipital stroke patients with hemianopia. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2014;22:1210-7 pubmed publisher..The enhancement of connectivity might be the neural substrate for brain plasticity in stroke-induced hemianopia and may shed light on plasticity-based recovery or rehabilitation. ..
- Gordon E, Laumann T, Gilmore A, Newbold D, Greene D, Berg J, et al. Precision Functional Mapping of Individual Human Brains. Neuron. 2017;95:791-807.e7 pubmed publisher..Using these data, we generated ten high-fidelity, individual-specific functional connectomes. This individual-connectome approach revealed several new types of spatial and organizational variability in brain networks, including ..
- Hagen E, Fossum J, Pettersen K, Alonso J, Swadlow H, Einevoll G. Focal Local Field Potential Signature of the Single-Axon Monosynaptic Thalamocortical Connection. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5123-5143 pubmed publisher..The LFP signature is observed to decay sharply outside the cortical region receiving the thalamocortical projection, implying that it indeed provides a very local measure of thalamocortical synaptic activation. ..
- Gennatas E, Avants B, Wolf D, Satterthwaite T, Ruparel K, Ciric R, et al. Age-Related Effects and Sex Differences in Gray Matter Density, Volume, Mass, and Cortical Thickness from Childhood to Young Adulthood. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5065-5073 pubmed publisher..A clear understanding of normal structural brain development is essential for the examination of brain-behavior relationships, the study of brain disease, and, ultimately, clinical applications of neuroimaging. ..
- Avena Koenigsberger A, GoÃ±i J, Betzel R, van den Heuvel M, Griffa A, Hagmann P, et al. Using Pareto optimality to explore the topology and dynamics of the human connectome. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2014;369: pubmed publisher..This approach allows us to investigate network topologies that emerge under specific selection pressures, thus providing some insight into the selectional forces that may have shaped the network architecture of existing human brains. ..