Summary: Methods for visualizing REGIONAL BLOOD FLOW, metabolic, electrical, or other physiological activities in the CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM using various imaging modalities.
- Ciumas C, Laurent A, Saignavongs M, Ilski F, de Bellescize J, Panagiotakaki E, et al. Behavioral and fMRI responses to fearful faces are altered in benign childhood epilepsy with centrotemporal spikes (BCECTS). Epilepsia. 2017;58:1716-1727 pubmed publisher..The age dependency of some of these findings supports the view that a delayed maturation of spiking cortical regions might underlie the cognitive dysfunction observed in BCECTS. ..
- Shaw P, Stringaris A, Nigg J, Leibenluft E. Emotion dysregulation in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2014;171:276-93 pubmed publisher..The differing predictions from each model can guide research on the much-neglected population of patients with ADHD and emotion dysregulation. ..
- Lee J, Kim Y, Jeong Y, Na D, Kim J, Lee K, et al. Inference of brain pathway activities for Alzheimer's disease classification. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2015;15 Suppl 1:S1 pubmed publisher..Moreover, discriminatory pathways between patients and cognitively normal subjects may facilitate the interpretation of functional alterations during disease progression. ..
- Yoshimura Y, Okamoto Y, Onoda K, Okada G, Toki S, Yoshino A, et al. Psychosocial functioning is correlated with activation in the anterior cingulate cortex and left lateral prefrontal cortex during a verbal fluency task in euthymic bipolar disorder: a preliminary fMRI study. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2014;68:188-96 pubmed..Both the ACC and lateral PFC regions are components of a neural network that plays a critical role in psychosocial functioning, and are often found to be affected in bipolar patients. ..
- Evans S, Dowell N, Tabet N, King S, Hutton S, Rusted J. Disrupted neural activity patterns to novelty and effort in young adult APOE-e4 carriers performing a subsequent memory task. Brain Behav. 2017;7:e00612 pubmed publisher..This provides further evidence of abnormal hippocampal recruitment in young adult e4 carriers, manifesting as both up and downregulation of neural activity, in the absence of behavioral performance differences. ..
- Kikuchi Y, Attaheri A, Wilson B, Rhone A, Nourski K, Gander P, et al. Sequence learning modulates neural responses and oscillatory coupling in human and monkey auditory cortex. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2000219 pubmed publisher..This study identifies the conserved auditory cortical neural signatures involved in monitoring learned sequencing operations, evident as modulations of transient coupling and neuronal responses to temporally structured sensory input. ..
- Yeo D, Wilkey E, Price G. The search for the number form area: A functional neuroimaging meta-analysis. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2017;78:145-160 pubmed publisher..Importantly, only five studies had foci within the identified ITG NFA cluster boundary, indicating that more empirical evidence is necessary to determine the true functional specialization and regional specificity of the putative NFA. ..
- Denisova K, Zhao G, Wang Z, Goh S, Huo Y, Peterson B. Cortical interactions during the resolution of information processing demands in autism spectrum disorders. Brain Behav. 2017;7:e00596 pubmed publisher..Increasing evidence suggests that the balance between levels of signal and noise during information processing may be disrupted in individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)...
- Ming Q, Zhong X, Zhang X, Pu W, Dong D, Jiang Y, et al. State-Independent and Dependent Neural Responses to Psychosocial Stress in Current and Remitted Depression. Am J Psychiatry. 2017;174:971-979 pubmed publisher..Hyperactivation in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex and striatum may represent a state-dependent compensatory mechanism during depression remission. ..
- Koenigsberg H, Denny B, Fan J, Liu X, Guerreri S, Mayson S, et al. The neural correlates of anomalous habituation to negative emotional pictures in borderline and avoidant personality disorder patients. Am J Psychiatry. 2014;171:82-90 pubmed publisher..A failure to effectively engage emotional habituation processes may contribute to affective instability in borderline patients. ..
- Marshall G, Donovan N, Lorius N, Gidicsin C, Maye J, Pepin L, et al. Apathy is associated with increased amyloid burden in mild cognitive impairment. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2013;25:302-7 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that increased apathy is associated with greater amyloid burden but not regional hypometabolism in MCI. ..
- Huppert T, Karim H, Lin C, Alqahtani B, Greenspan S, Sparto P. Functional imaging of cognition in an old-old population: A case for portable functional near-infrared spectroscopy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184918 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the capability for obtaining functional neuroimaging measures in residential settings, which ultimately may aid in prognosis and care related to dementia in ..
- Lin C, Hsieh J, Yeh T, Niddam D. Predictability-mediated pain modulation in context of multiple cues: An event-related fMRI study. Neuropsychologia. 2014;64:85-91 pubmed publisher..The changing pain ratings and PAG activity across sessions reflect a dynamic learning process that may mirror decreased perceived threat of and/or decreased attention to pain in the certain condition. ..
- Arcaro M, Schade P, Vincent J, Ponce C, Livingstone M. Seeing faces is necessary for face-domain formation. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1404-1412 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that environmental importance influences viewing behavior, viewing behavior drives neuronal activity, and neuronal activity sculpts domain formation. ..
- Baker J, Rojas Valverde D, Gutiérrez R, Winkler M, Fuhrimann S, Eskenazi B, et al. Portable Functional Neuroimaging as an Environmental Epidemiology Tool: A How-To Guide for the Use of fNIRS in Field Studies. Environ Health Perspect. 2017;125:094502 pubmed publisherThe widespread application of functional neuroimaging within the field of environmental epidemiology has the potential to greatly enhance our understanding of how environmental toxicants affect brain function...
- Becker A, Ehret A, Kirsch P. From the neurobiological basis of comorbid alcohol dependence and depression to psychological treatment strategies: study protocol of a randomized controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry. 2017;17:153 pubmed publisher..German Clinical Trial Register DRKS00010249 . The trial was registered January 23th 2017. ..
- Pan P, Sato J, Salum G, Rohde L, Gadelha A, Zugman A, et al. Ventral Striatum Functional Connectivity as a Predictor of Adolescent Depressive Disorder in a Longitudinal Community-Based Sample. Am J Psychiatry. 2017;174:1112-1119 pubmed publisher..Aberrant ventral striatum functional connectivity specifically predicts future risk for depressive disorder. This finding further emphasizes the need to understand how brain reward networks contribute to youth depression. ..
- Ren W, Lui S, Deng W, Li F, Li M, Huang X, et al. Anatomical and functional brain abnormalities in drug-naive first-episode schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry. 2013;170:1308-16 pubmed publisher..The different structural deficits of regional gray matter observed in patients with prominent negative symptoms may provide unique insight into the early regional neuropathology of this symptom dimension in schizophrenia. ..
- McCrory E, Gerin M, Viding E. Annual Research Review: Childhood maltreatment, latent vulnerability and the shift to preventative psychiatry - the contribution of functional brain imaging. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2017;58:338-357 pubmed publisher..We review extant functional neuroimaging studies of children and adolescents exposed to early neglect and/or maltreatment, including physical, ..
- Suk H, van Welie I, Kodandaramaiah S, Allen B, Forest C, Boyden E. Closed-Loop Real-Time Imaging Enables Fully Automated Cell-Targeted Patch-Clamp Neural Recording In Vivo. Neuron. 2017;95:1037-1047.e11 pubmed publisher..Our "imagepatching" robot is easy to implement and will help enable scalable characterization of identified cell types in intact neural circuits. ..
- Yun S, Shah N. Whole-brain high in-plane resolution fMRI using accelerated EPIK for enhanced characterisation of functional areas at 3T. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184759 pubmed publisher..Lastly, the use of EPIK for fMRI was validated with the simulation of different types of data reconstruction methods. ..
- Serino A, Akselrod M, Salomon R, Martuzzi R, Blefari M, Canzoneri E, et al. Upper limb cortical maps in amputees with targeted muscle and sensory reinnervation. Brain. 2017;140:2993-3011 pubmed publisher..g. the integration of somatosensory feedback into current prostheses) to enable prostheses that move and feel as real limbs...
- Ashar Y, Andrews Hanna J, Dimidjian S, Wager T. Empathic Care and Distress: Predictive Brain Markers and Dissociable Brain Systems. Neuron. 2017;94:1263-1273.e4 pubmed publisher..In tests of marker specificity with an independent behavioral sample (n = 200), the empathic care marker was associated with a mixed-valence feeling state, whereas the empathic distress marker was specific to negative emotion. ..
- Shrestha S, Nelson E, Liow J, Gladding R, Lyoo C, Noble P, et al. Fluoxetine administered to juvenile monkeys: effects on the serotonin transporter and behavior. Am J Psychiatry. 2014;171:323-31 pubmed publisher..Its purpose was to investigate effects of SSRIs on brain development in nonhuman primates using an experimental approach that randomly assigned long-term SSRI treatment or placebo. ..
- Hosking J, Kastman E, Dorfman H, SAMANEZ LARKIN G, Baskin Sommers A, Kiehl K, et al. Disrupted Prefrontal Regulation of Striatal Subjective Value Signals in Psychopathy. Neuron. 2017;95:221-231.e4 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that cortico-striatal circuit dysregulation drives maladaptive decision making in psychopathy, supporting the notion that reward system dysfunction comprises an important neurobiological risk factor. ..
- Voss M, Chambon V, Wenke D, Kühn S, Haggard P. In and out of control: brain mechanisms linking fluency of action selection to self-agency in patients with schizophrenia. Brain. 2017;140:2226-2239 pubmed publisher..The altered action awareness that characterizes schizophrenia may be due to impaired communication between these areas. ..
- Szekely E, Sudre G, Sharp W, Leibenluft E, Shaw P. Defining the Neural Substrate of the Adult Outcome of Childhood ADHD: A Multimodal Neuroimaging Study of Response Inhibition. Am J Psychiatry. 2017;174:867-876 pubmed publisher..Thus, the cortico-cerebellar processes tied to the clinical course of ADHD are separated from the subcortical processes that are not. ..
- Khoo H, von Ellenrieder N, Zazubovits N, Dubeau F, Gotman J. Epileptic networks in action: Synchrony between distant hemodynamic responses. Ann Neurol. 2017;82:57-66 pubmed publisher..This also validates the EEG-fMRI approach to reveal this network noninvasively. Ann Neurol 2017;82:57-66. ..
- Tousseyn S, Krishnan B, Wang Z, Wongwiangjunt S, Nayak C, Mosher J, et al. Connectivity in ictal single photon emission computed tomography perfusion: a cortico-cortical evoked potential study. Brain. 2017;140:1872-1884 pubmed publisher..In trying to understand a patient's epilepsy, one should consider the contribution of all hyperperfused regions, as these are likely not random, but represent an electrically connected epileptic network. ..
- Bode S, Murawski C, Soon C, Bode P, Stahl J, Smith P. Demystifying "free will": the role of contextual information and evidence accumulation for predictive brain activity. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2014;47:636-45 pubmed
- Klaus A, Martins G, Paixão V, Zhou P, Paninski L, Costa R. The Spatiotemporal Organization of the Striatum Encodes Action Space. Neuron. 2017;95:1171-1180.e7 pubmed publisher..These results identify a predominantly local, but not spatially compact, organization of direct- and indirect-pathway SPN activity that maps action space independently of movement speed. ..
- Ko J, Feigin A, Mattis P, Tang C, Ma Y, Dhawan V, et al. Network modulation following sham surgery in Parkinson's disease. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:3656-66 pubmed publisher..Individualized subject selection based on a predetermined network criterion may therefore limit the need for sham interventions in future clinical trials. ..
- Wen S, Cheng M, Cheng M, Yue J, Wang H. Pharmacotherapy response and regional cerebral blood flow characteristics in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Behav Brain Funct. 2013;9:31 pubmed publisher..The characteristics of increased rCBF in forebrain regions and decreased rCBF in posterior brain regions before treatment of OCD patients was a potentially predictor of treatment response to guide treatment options. ..
- Aragona M. The Impact of Translational Neuroscience on Revisiting Psychiatric Diagnosis: State of the Art and Conceptual Analysis. Balkan Med J. 2017;34:487-492 pubmed publisher..It is finally suggested that the formation of mental symptoms is a complex process involving both neurocognitive and semantic factors, which raises doubts about the possibility of complete translations, without residuals...
- Lueken U, Straube B, Konrad C, Wittchen H, Strohle A, Wittmann A, et al. Neural substrates of treatment response to cognitive-behavioral therapy in panic disorder with agoraphobia. Am J Psychiatry. 2013;170:1345-55 pubmed publisher..Findings point to brain networks by which successful CBT in this patient population is mediated. ..
- Stoyanov D, Kandilarova S, Borgwardt S. Translational Functional Neuroimaging in the Explanation of Depression. Balkan Med J. 2017;: pubmed publisher..We will selectively highlight research areas such as imaging genetics, imaging immunology and multimodal imaging related to depression, its diagnosis and management...
- Conforto A, Chaim K, Peres M, Gonçalves A, Siqueira I, Barreiros M, et al. Interictal abnormal fMRI activation of visual areas during a motor task cued by visual stimuli in migraine. Einstein (Sao Paulo). 2017;15:17-23 pubmed publisher..A privação luminosa não modulou a atividade na ressonância magnética funcional em indivíduos com ou sem enxaqueca. ..
- Freyschlag C, Kerschbaumer J, Pinggera D, Bacher G, Mur E, Thome C. Structured Evaluation of Glioma Patients by an Occupational Therapist-Is Our Clinical Examination Enough?. World Neurosurg. 2017;103:493-500 pubmed publisher..Routine clinical examination and neuropsychological evaluation fail to detect mild deficits in sensory function, reactivity, and apraxia, which may have a serious impact on patients' ability to return to their normal lives and work. ..
- Johnson D, Thom N, Stanley E, Haase L, Simmons A, Shih P, et al. Modifying resilience mechanisms in at-risk individuals: a controlled study of mindfulness training in Marines preparing for deployment. Am J Psychiatry. 2014;171:844-53 pubmed publisher..The results show that mechanisms related to stress recovery can be modified in healthy individuals prior to stress exposure, with important implications for evidence-based mental health research and treatment. ..
- Rutledge R, Moutoussis M, Smittenaar P, Zeidman P, Taylor T, Hrynkiewicz L, et al. Association of Neural and Emotional Impacts of Reward Prediction Errors With Major Depression. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:790-797 pubmed publisher..To combine functional neuroimaging, computational modeling, and smartphone-based large-scale data collection to test, in the absence of ..
- Chen C, Tian F, Liu H, Huang J. Diffuse optical tomography enhanced by clustered sparsity for functional brain imaging. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2014;33:2323-31 pubmed publisher..An example from human in vivo measurements further confirmed the advantages of the proposed CSR method. ..
- Pattinson K. Functional brain imaging in respiratory medicine. Thorax. 2015;70:598-600 pubmed publisher..This article explains how FMRI works, current understanding from FMRI in breathlessness, cough and asthma and suggests possibilities for future research. ..