Genomes and Genes
Summary: Projection of near-IR light (INFRARED RAYS), in the 700-1000 nm region, across an object in parallel beams to an array of sensitive photodetectors. This is repeated at various angles and a mathematical reconstruction provides three dimensional MEDICAL IMAGING of tissues. Based on the relative transparency of tissues to this spectra, it has been used to monitor local oxygenation, brain and joints.
- Custo A, Boas D, Tsuzuki D, Dan I, Mesquita R, Fischl B, et al. Anatomical atlas-guided diffuse optical tomography of brain activation. Neuroimage. 2010;49:561-7 pubmed publisherWe describe a neuroimaging protocol that utilizes an anatomical atlas of the human head to guide diffuse optical tomography of human brain activation...
- Gu X, Zhang Q, Bartlett M, Schutz L, Fajardo L, Jiang H. Differentiation of cysts from solid tumors in the breast with diffuse optical tomography. Acad Radiol. 2004;11:53-60 pubmedNear-infrared diffuse optical tomography (DOT) is an emerging imaging technology that has the potential to offer enhanced contrast resolution over the existing technologies for detection and diagnosis of breast cancer...
- Rinneberg H, Grosenick D, Moesta K, Mucke J, Gebauer B, Stroszczynski C, et al. Scanning time-domain optical mammography: detection and characterization of breast tumors in vivo. Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2005;4:483-96 pubmed..In addition developments on instrumentation and data analysis are covered and possible improvements of optical mammography are briefly discussed. ..
- Hielscher A, Klose A, Scheel A, Moa Anderson B, Backhaus M, Netz U, et al. Sagittal laser optical tomography for imaging of rheumatoid finger joints. Phys Med Biol. 2004;49:1147-63 pubmed..We have used this system to obtain tomographic images of six proximal interphalangeal finger joints from two patients with rheumatoid arthritis. The optical images were compared to clinical symptoms and ultrasound images...
- Diamond S, Huppert T, Kolehmainen V, Franceschini M, Kaipio J, Arridge S, et al. Dynamic physiological modeling for functional diffuse optical tomography. Neuroimage. 2006;30:88-101 pubmedDiffuse optical tomography (DOT) is a noninvasive imaging technology that is sensitive to local concentration changes in oxy- and deoxyhemoglobin...
- Intes X. Time-domain optical mammography SoftScan: initial results. Acad Radiol. 2005;12:934-47 pubmed..In this study, the authors report quantitative measurements of these components and the functional contrast between healthy and diseased tissue...
- Intes X, Ripoll J, Chen Y, Nioka S, Yodh A, Chance B. In vivo continuous-wave optical breast imaging enhanced with Indocyanine Green. Med Phys. 2003;30:1039-47 pubmedWe investigate the uptake of a nontargeted contrast agent by breast tumors using a continuous wave diffuse optical tomography apparatus...
- Zhu Q, Cronin E, Currier A, Vine H, Huang M, Chen N, et al. Benign versus malignant breast masses: optical differentiation with US-guided optical imaging reconstruction. Radiology. 2005;237:57-66 pubmedTo investigate prospectively the feasibility of using optical tomography with ultrasonographic (US) localization to differentiate malignant from benign breast masses and to compare optical tomography with color Doppler US...
- Yates T, Hebden J, Gibson A, Everdell N, Arridge S, Douek M. Optical tomography of the breast using a multi-channel time-resolved imager. Phys Med Biol. 2005;50:2503-17 pubmedA time-resolved optical tomography system has been used to generate cross-sectional images of the human breast...
- Taroni P, Torricelli A, Spinelli L, Pifferi A, Arpaia F, Danesini G, et al. Time-resolved optical mammography between 637 and 985 nm: clinical study on the detection and identification of breast lesions. Phys Med Biol. 2005;50:2469-88 pubmed..The capacity to assess the density of breast based on the average scattering properties was also tested...
- Gibson A, Hebden J, Arridge S. Recent advances in diffuse optical imaging. Phys Med Biol. 2005;50:R1-43 pubmed..We review recent work on in vivo applications including imaging the breast and brain, and examine future challenges. ..
- Montet X, Ntziachristos V, Grimm J, Weissleder R. Tomographic fluorescence mapping of tumor targets. Cancer Res. 2005;65:6330-6 pubmed..FMT measurements can be done serially, with short imaging times and within the same live animal. The described method should be valuable for rapidly profiling biological phenomena in vivo. ..
- Nie L, Ou Z, Yang S, Xing D. Thermoacoustic molecular tomography with magnetic nanoparticle contrast agents for targeted tumor detection. Med Phys. 2010;37:4193-200 pubmed..To determine the expressions of oncogenic surface molecules, it is quite necessary to image tumor lesions and acquire pathogenic status on them via TAT...
- Burgansky Eliash Z, Wollstein G, Bilonick R, Ishikawa H, Kagemann L, Schuman J. Glaucoma detection with the Heidelberg retina tomograph 3. Ophthalmology. 2007;114:466-71 pubmed..The GPS analysis showed promising results in differentiating between healthy and glaucomatous eyes without the need for subjective operator input. ..
- Hillman E. Optical brain imaging in vivo: techniques and applications from animal to man. J Biomed Opt. 2007;12:051402 pubmed..In summary, it is shown that optical brain imaging continues to grow and evolve, embracing new technologies and advancing to address ever more complex and important neuroscience questions. ..
- Doulgerakis M, Eggebrecht A, Wojtkiewicz S, Culver J, Dehghani H. Toward real-time diffuse optical tomography: accelerating light propagation modeling employing parallel computing on GPU and CPU. J Biomed Opt. 2017;22:1-11 pubmed publisherParameter recovery in diffuse optical tomography is a computationally expensive algorithm, especially when used for large and complex volumes, as in the case of human brain functional imaging...
- Soloviev V, Krasnosselskaia L. Consideration of a spread-out source in problems of near-infrared optical tomography. Appl Opt. 2006;45:4765-75 pubmed..The obtained results are of practical importance in luminescence optical tomography because an erroneous shape of the energy density function may lead to an incorrect estimate of the light ..
- Sosnovik D, Nahrendorf M, Deliolanis N, Novikov M, Aikawa E, Josephson L, et al. Fluorescence tomography and magnetic resonance imaging of myocardial macrophage infiltration in infarcted myocardium in vivo. Circulation. 2007;115:1384-91 pubmed..The techniques developed could also be used to image other existing fluorescent and magnetofluorescent probes and could significantly expand the role of fluorescence imaging in the heart. ..
- Roy R, Godavarty A, Sevick Muraca E. Fluorescence-enhanced optical tomography of a large tissue phantom using point illumination geometries. J Biomed Opt. 2006;11:044007 pubmed..Targets of 0.5, 0.6, and 1.0 cm3 at depths of 1.4-2.8 cm from the phantom surface were tomographically reconstructed. This work demonstrates the practicality of fluorescence-enhanced tomography in clinically relevant volumes. ..
- Holzer M, Schmitz C, Pei Y, GRABER H, Abdul R, Barry J, et al. 4D functional imaging in the freely moving rat. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:29-32 pubmed..The integrated system includes comprehensive image formation, display and time-series analysis software suitable for processing data independently or in combination. ..
- Kwong T, Nouizi F, Lin Y, Cho J, Zhu Y, Sampathkumaran U, et al. Experimental evaluation of the resolution and quantitative accuracy of temperature-modulated fluorescence tomography. Appl Opt. 2017;56:521-529 pubmed publisher..TM-FT is a novel fully integrated multimodality imaging technique that combines fluorescence diffuse optical tomography (FT) with focused ultrasound...
- Wasser H, Biller A, Antonopoulos G, Meyer H, Bicker G, Stern M. Regeneration of axotomized olfactory neurons in young and adult locusts quantified by fasciclin I immunofluorescence. Cell Tissue Res. 2017;368:1-12 pubmed publisher..First, volume changes were measured at different times post-crush with scanning laser optical tomography in 5th instar nymphs...
- Bosi S, Naseri P, Baldock C. Light-scattering-induced artifacts in a complex polymer gel dosimetry phantom. Appl Opt. 2009;48:2427-34 pubmed..A simple model invoking scattered light in the gel was able to account for all artifacts, which in a real dosimeter may have been mistaken for other phenomena, resulting in incorrect readings of dose. ..
- Nahrendorf M, Sosnovik D, Waterman P, Swirski F, Pande A, Aikawa E, et al. Dual channel optical tomographic imaging of leukocyte recruitment and protease activity in the healing myocardial infarct. Circ Res. 2007;100:1218-25 pubmed..Spectrally resolved imaging agents allow for simultaneous assesment of key processes of in vivo cellular functions. Specifically, we show that in vivo FMT detects impaired healing in FXIII-/- mice. ..
- Diamond S, Huppert T, Kolehmainen V, Franceschini M, Kaipio J, Arridge S, et al. Physiological system identification with the Kalman filter in diffuse optical tomography. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2005;8:649-56 pubmedDiffuse optical tomography (DOT) is a noninvasive imaging technology that is sensitive to local concentration changes in oxy- and deoxyhemoglobin...
- Casalino M, Sassi U, Goykhman I, Eiden A, Lidorikis E, Milana S, et al. Vertically Illuminated, Resonant Cavity Enhanced, Graphene-Silicon Schottky Photodetectors. ACS Nano. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Our devices pave the way for developing high responsivity hybrid graphene-Si free-space illuminated PDs for optical communications, coherence optical tomography, and light-radars.
- Guo Z, Li C, Song L, Wang L. Compressed sensing in photoacoustic tomography in vivo. J Biomed Opt. 2010;15:021311 pubmed publisher..We adapt compressed sensing (CS) for the reconstruction in PACT. CS-based PACT is implemented as a nonlinear conjugate gradient descent algorithm and tested with both phantom and in vivo experiments. ..
- Messaoudii C, Boudier T, Sanchez Sorzano C, Marco S. TomoJ: tomography software for three-dimensional reconstruction in transmission electron microscopy. BMC Bioinformatics. 2007;8:288 pubmed..The software presented in this work is specifically designed for electron tomography. It has been written in Java as a plug-in for ImageJ and is distributed as freeware. ..
- Nahrendorf M, Sosnovik D, Weissleder R. MR-optical imaging of cardiovascular molecular targets. Basic Res Cardiol. 2008;103:87-94 pubmed publisher..We discuss strengths and limitations of respective imaging technologies, and comment on the potential of multi-modality imaging approaches. ..
- Kolehmainen V, Schweiger M, Nissila I, Tarvainen T, Arridge S, Kaipio J. Approximation errors and model reduction in three-dimensional diffuse optical tomography. J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis. 2009;26:2257-68 pubmed publisherModel reduction is often required in diffuse optical tomography (DOT), typically because of limited available computation time or computer memory...
- Li L, Cazzell M, Zeng L, Liu H. Are there gender differences in young vs. aging brains under risk decision-making? An optical brain imaging study. Brain Imaging Behav. 2017;11:1085-1098 pubmed publisher..A newly-developed technique, atlas-guided diffuse optical tomography (atlas-DOT), was used to image the prefrontal cortices (PFC) of healthy subjects in two age groups (25-40 ..
- Sakhalkar H, Dewhirst M, Oliver T, Cao Y, Oldham M. Functional imaging in bulk tissue specimens using optical emission tomography: fluorescence preservation during optical clearing. Phys Med Biol. 2007;52:2035-54 pubmed..Finally, the feasibility of imaging the 3D distribution of viable tumour cells (as indicated by the RFP emission) is demonstrated by optical-ECT imaging of cleared xenograft tumours using an in-house system. ..
- Jo H, Yu D, Oh C. Quantitative research on skin pore widening using a stereoimage optical topometer and Sebutape. Skin Res Technol. 2007;13:162-8 pubmed..The result of the Sebutape study was similar to that of SOT. Evaluation of skin pore change by visual assessment is difficult, but bioengineering tools are more reliable and useful methods for the assessment of skin pore change. ..
- Masajada J, Leniec M, Jankowska E, Thienpont H, Ottevaere H, Gomez V. Deep microstructure topography characterization with optical vortex interferometer. Opt Express. 2008;16:19179-91 pubmed..We show that the optical vortex interferometer with a vortex generator can be used to differentiate between the samples of good and poor quality. The measurement system is simple and the interpretation of the results is straightforward. ..
- Ale A, Crepin V, Collins J, Constantinou N, Habibzay M, Babtie A, et al. Model of Host-Pathogen Interaction Dynamics Links In Vivo Optical Imaging and Immune Responses. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..We connect in vivo disease progression of C57BL/6 mice infected with bioluminescent bacteria, imaged using optical tomography and X-ray computed tomography, to postmortem measurements of colonic immune cell infiltration...
- Cubbidge R, Hosking S, Hilton E, Gibson J. Regression analysis of ranked segment parameters for optic nerve head classification: a pilot study. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2007;27:194-200 pubmed
- Gordon Bennett P, Ioannidis A, Papageorgiou K, Andreou P. A survey of investigations used for the management of glaucoma in hospital service in the United Kingdom. Eye (Lond). 2008;22:1410-8 pubmed publisher..Glaucoma specialist status, type of hospital, and presence of research influenced the availability and use of all investigations, except visual fields. ..
- Soubret A, Ntziachristos V. Fluorescence molecular tomography in the presence of background fluorescence. Phys Med Biol. 2006;51:3983-4001 pubmed..We show that the data pre-processing with subtraction schemes can improve image quality and quantification when non-specific background florescence is present. ..
- Landis F, Stephens J, Cooper J, Cicerone M, Lin Gibson S. Tissue engineering scaffolds based on photocured dimethacrylate polymers for in vitro optical imaging. Biomacromolecules. 2006;7:1751-7 pubmed..Because the cross-linked polymer in the scaffolds is an amorphous glass, it was possible to optically image cells that were over 400 microm beneath the surface of the sample. ..
- Rousseau G, Blouin A, Monchalin J. Ultrasound-modulated optical imaging using a powerful long pulse laser. Opt Express. 2008;16:12577-90 pubmed..Results obtained with a GaAs photorefractive interferometer are presented for 30- and 60-mm thick scattering media. ..
- Sakadzic S, Wang L. Correlation transfer and diffusion of ultrasound-modulated multiply scattered light. Phys Rev Lett. 2006;96:163902 pubmed..These equations should be applicable to a wide spectrum of conditions for ultrasound-modulated optical tomography of soft biological tissues.
- Kepshire D, Davis S, Dehghani H, Paulsen K, Pogue B. Subsurface diffuse optical tomography can localize absorber and fluorescent objects but recovered image sensitivity is nonlinear with depth. Appl Opt. 2007;46:1669-78 pubmed..However, increases in tissue curvature and/or the addition of prior information are expected to improve the linearity of the response. The potential for this type of imaging technique to serve as a surgical guide is highlighted. ..
- Hwang C, Yang S, Jang K, Park J, Jeong K. Angle-selective optical filter for highly sensitive reflection photoplethysmogram. Biomed Opt Express. 2017;8:4361-4368 pubmed publisher..This optical filter provides a new opportunity for highly sensitive PPG monitoring or miscellaneous optical tomography.
- Boffety M, Allain M, Sentenac A, Massonneau M, Carminati R. Analysis of the depth resolution limit of luminescence diffuse optical imaging. Opt Lett. 2008;33:2290-2 pubmed..We illustrate the method in the case of luminescence imaging in a brain-skull model, showing its potential applications in molecular imaging on small animals. ..
- Suda M, Morimoto K, Obata A, Koizumi H, Maki A. Emotional responses to music: towards scientific perspectives on music therapy. Neuroreport. 2008;19:75-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we demonstrated the typical asymmetrical pattern of stress responses in upper temporal cortex areas, and suggested that happiness/sadness emotional processing might be related to stress reduction by music. ..
- Burcin Unlu M, Gulsen G. Effects of the time dependence of a bioluminescent source on the tomographic reconstruction. Appl Opt. 2008;47:799-806 pubmed
- Azar F, Lee K, Khamene A, Choe R, Corlu A, Konecky S, et al. Standardized platform for coregistration of nonconcurrent diffuse optical and magnetic resonance breast images obtained in different geometries. J Biomed Opt. 2007;12:051902 pubmed..We combine data based on diffuse optical tomography (DOT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)...
- Oldham M, Sakhalkar H, Wang Y, Guo P, Oliver T, Bentley R, et al. Three-dimensional imaging of whole rodent organs using optical computed and emission tomography. J Biomed Opt. 2007;12:014009 pubmed
- Xu G, Piao D, Bunting C, Dehghani H. Direct-current-based image reconstruction versus direct-current included or excluded frequency-domain reconstruction in diffuse optical tomography. Appl Opt. 2010;49:3059-70 pubmed publisherWe study the level of image artifacts in optical tomography associated with measurement uncertainty under three reconstruction configurations, namely, by using only direct-current (DC), DC-excluded frequency-domain, and DC-included ..
- Wang D, Liu X, Bai J. Analysis of fast full angle fluorescence diffuse optical tomography with beam-forming illumination. Opt Express. 2009;17:21376-95 pubmed publisherChallenges remain in imaging fast biological activities through whole body using fluorescence diffuse optical tomography (FDOT)...
- Bassi A, Spinelli L, D Andrea C, Giusto A, Swartling J, Pifferi A, et al. Feasibility of white-light time-resolved optical mammography. J Biomed Opt. 2006;11:054035 pubmed..Furthermore, measurements on a tissue-like sample demonstrate detection and characterization of inclusions. ..