cardiac imaging techniques
Summary: Visualization of the heart structure and cardiac blood flow for diagnostic evaluation or to guide cardiac procedures via techniques including ENDOSCOPY (cardiac endoscopy, sometimes refered to as cardioscopy), RADIONUCLIDE IMAGING; MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING; TOMOGRAPHY; or ULTRASONOGRAPHY.
- Chen Y, Zhang L, Liu J, Zhang P, Chen X, Xie M. Molecular Imaging of Acute Cardiac Transplant Rejection: Animal Experiments and Prospects. Transplantation. 2017;101:1977-1986 pubmed publisher..This article reviews the latest research and applications of several typical modalities of molecular imaging used in AR and discusses their advantages and disadvantages. ..
- Bae K, Jeon K, Lee H, Jang J, Park S, Ryu K, et al. Left sinus of valsalva aneurysm ruptured into left ventricle: A case report of 320-multidetector CT findings. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7112 pubmed publisher..MDCT with wide coverage and high temporal resolution can provide exact and comprehensive information about complicated conditions, leading to confident surgical planning and successful management. ..
- Taylor A, Cerqueira M, Hodgson J, Mark D, Min J, O Gara P, et al. ACCF/SCCT/ACR/AHA/ASE/ASNC/NASCI/SCAI/SCMR 2010 appropriate use criteria for cardiac computed tomography. A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task Force, the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;56:1864-94 pubmed publisher..It is anticipated that these results will have an impact on physician decision making, performance, and reimbursement policy, and that they will help guide future research. ..
- Windecker S, Kolh P, Alfonso F, Collet J, Cremer J, Falk V, et al. 2014 ESC/EACTS Guidelines on myocardial revascularization: The Task Force on Myocardial Revascularization of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS)Developed with the special contribut. Eur Heart J. 2014;35:2541-619 pubmed publisher
- Lee J, Kim J, Kim M, Hwang J, Hwang Y, Kang J, et al. Extremely low-frame-rate digital fluoroscopy in catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation: A comparison of 2 versus 4 frame rate. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7200 pubmed publisher..25).In conclusion, both the 4-FPS and 2-FPS settings were feasible and emitted a relatively low level of radiation compared with that historically reported for DAP in a conventional fluoroscopy setting. ..
- Patel M, Dehmer G, Hirshfeld J, Smith P, Spertus J. ACCF/SCAI/STS/AATS/AHA/ASNC/HFSA/SCCT 2012 Appropriate use criteria for coronary revascularization focused update: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task Force, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography a. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59:857-81 pubmed publisher..The primary objective of the appropriate use criteria is to improve physician decision making and patient education regarding expected benefits from revascularization and to guide future research. ..
- Taylor A, Cerqueira M, Hodgson J, Mark D, Min J, O Gara P, et al. ACCF/SCCT/ACR/AHA/ASE/ASNC/NASCI/SCAI/SCMR 2010 Appropriate Use Criteria for Cardiac Computed Tomography. A Report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task Force, the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography. Circulation. 2010;122:e525-55 pubmed publisher..It is anticipated that these results will have an impact on physician decision making, performance, and reimbursement policy, and that they will help guide future research. ..
- Habash F, Vallurupalli S. Challenges in management of left ventricular thrombus. Ther Adv Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;11:203-213 pubmed publisher..The aim of this paper is to examine several controversies in the diagnosis and management of LVT. Prospective studies are needed to advance therapy of LVT...
- Corrado D, Basso C, Judge D. Arrhythmogenic Cardiomyopathy. Circ Res. 2017;121:784-802 pubmed publisher..Selection of patients who are the best candidates for implantable cardioverter defibrillator implantation is one of the most challenging issues in the clinical management. ..
- De Bonis M, Al Attar N, Antunes M, Borger M, Casselman F, Falk V, et al. Surgical and interventional management of mitral valve regurgitation: a position statement from the European Society of Cardiology Working Groups on Cardiovascular Surgery and Valvular Heart Disease. Eur Heart J. 2016;37:133-9 pubmed publisher
- McMurray J, Adamopoulos S, Anker S, Auricchio A, Bohm M, Dickstein K, et al. ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure 2012: The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute and Chronic Heart Failure 2012 of the European Society of Cardiology. Developed in collaboration with the . Eur Heart J. 2012;33:1787-847 pubmed publisher
- Carr J, Hendel R, White R, Patel M, Wolk M, Bettmann M, et al. 2013 appropriate utilization of cardiovascular imaging: a methodology for the development of joint criteria for the appropriate utilization of cardiovascular imaging by the American College of Cardiology Foundation and American College of Radiology. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61:2199-206 pubmed publisher..This document details the history, rationale, and methodology for developing these joint documents for appropriate utilization of cardiovascular imaging. ..
- Elliott P, Anastasakis A, Borger M, Borggrefe M, Cecchi F, Charron P, et al. 2014 ESC Guidelines on diagnosis and management of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: the Task Force for the Diagnosis and Management of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. 2014;35:2733-79 pubmed publisher
- Wang H, Qiu L, Wang G, Gao F, Jia H, Zhao J, et al. The impact of dual-source parallel radiofrequency transmission with patient-adaptive shimming on the cardiac magnetic resonance in children at 3.0?T. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7034 pubmed publisher..0?T. This technology could be taken into account in CMR for children with cardiac diseases. ..
- Cardim N, Galderisi M, Edvardsen T, Plein S, Popescu B, D Andrea A, et al. Role of multimodality cardiac imaging in the management of patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: an expert consensus of the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging Endorsed by the Saudi Heart Association. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015;16:280 pubmed publisher
- Greenland P, Alpert J, Beller G, Benjamin E, Budoff M, Fayad Z, et al. 2010 ACCF/AHA guideline for assessment of cardiovascular risk in asymptomatic adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;56:e50-103 pubmed publisher
- Papanastasiou E, Moralidis E, Siountas A. The effect of scatter correction on planar and tomographic semiquantitative 123I cardiac imaging. A phantom study. Hell J Nucl Med. 2017;20:154-159 pubmed..In cardiac 123I imaging with a LE collimator the use of TEW scatter correction provides a semi-quantitative assessment comparable to that attained with ME collimation and may moderate inter-institutional inconsistencies. ..
- Ratti C, Grassi L, Ferramosca E, Raggi P. [Imaging in CKD]. G Ital Nefrol. 2017;34:205-222 pubmed..This review explores the indications, strengths and weaknesses of several invasive and non-invasive imaging modalities employed to evaluate myocardial and vascular disease in CKD. ..
- Kolla B, Roy S, Duval S, Weisdorf D, Valeti U, Blaes A. Cardiac Imaging Methods for Chemotherapy-related Cardiotoxicity Screening and Related Radiation Exposure: Current Practice and Trends. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:2445-2449 pubmed..Increased awareness of radiation risks from MUGA, as well as increasing focus on early detection of cardiotoxicity using Echo and CMR, are possible reasons behind the observed trends. ..
- Nagueh S, Smiseth O, Appleton C, Byrd B, Dokainish H, Edvardsen T, et al. Recommendations for the Evaluation of Left Ventricular Diastolic Function by Echocardiography: An Update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016;17:1321-1360 pubmed
- Galderisi M, Cardim N, D Andrea A, Bruder O, Cosyns B, Davin L, et al. The multi-modality cardiac imaging approach to the Athlete's heart: an expert consensus of the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015;16:353 pubmed..Owing to radiation exposure and the young age of most athletes, the use of CCT and nuclear cardiology techniques should be restricted to athletes with unclear stress echocardiography or CMR. ..
- Miller J, Jain R, Dandamudi G, Kambur T. Electrocardiographic Localization of Ventricular Tachycardia in Patients with Structural Heart Disease. Card Electrophysiol Clin. 2017;9:1-10 pubmed publisher..Most experience with this comes from patients with prior myocardial infarction, but a growing body of data exists concerning patients with nonischemic cardiomyopathies. ..
- Magnacca M, Poddighe R, Del Meglio J, Lilli A, Baratto M, Canale M, et al. [Teamwork for cardiac imaging: coronary computed tomography angiography and low-dose radiation exposure: a cardiology center experience]. G Ital Cardiol (Rome). 2017;18:313-321 pubmed publisher..In our experience, a team approach was necessary to allow a "low-dose learning curve" and a progressive reduction in radiation doses administered to patients by means of the prospective gating protocol. ..
- Ponikowski P, Voors A, Anker S, Bueno H, Cleland J, Coats A, et al. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Developed with the special contribu. Eur J Heart Fail. 2016;18:891-975 pubmed publisher
- Mont L, Pelliccia A, Sharma S, Biffi A, Borjesson M, Brugada Terradellas J, et al. Pre-participation cardiovascular evaluation for athletic participants to prevent sudden death: Position paper from the EHRA and the EACPR, branches of the ESC. Endorsed by APHRS, HRS, and SOLAECE. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2017;24:41-69 pubmed
- Markman T, Markman M. Cardiotoxicity of antineoplastic agents: what is the present and future role for imaging?. Curr Oncol Rep. 2014;16:396 pubmed..Here, we focus on the latter, specifically examining current and potential future imaging strategies to detect the cardiac effects of chemotherapeutic agents. ..
- Marian A, Braunwald E. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Genetics, Pathogenesis, Clinical Manifestations, Diagnosis, and Therapy. Circ Res. 2017;121:749-770 pubmed publisher..The genetic discoveries have enhanced understanding of the molecular pathogenesis of HCM and have stimulated efforts designed to identify new therapeutic agents. ..
- Patel M, Bailey S, Bonow R, Chambers C, Chan P, Dehmer G, et al. ACCF/SCAI/AATS/AHA/ASE/ASNC/HFSA/HRS/SCCM/SCCT/SCMR/STS 2012 appropriate use criteria for diagnostic catheterization: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task Force, Society for Cardiovascular Angiograph. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59:1995-2027 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, recognition of uncertain clinical scenarios facilitates identification of areas that would benefit from future research. ..
- McNally E, Mestroni L. Dilated Cardiomyopathy: Genetic Determinants and Mechanisms. Circ Res. 2017;121:731-748 pubmed publisher..Determining genetic variants is emerging as an additional adjunct to help further refine subtypes of DCM, especially where arrhythmia risk is increased, and ultimately contribute to clinical management. ..
- Montalescot G, Sechtem U, Andreotti F, Arden C, Budaj A, Bugiardini R, et al. 2013 ESC guidelines on the management of stable coronary artery disease: the Task Force on the management of stable coronary artery disease of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J. 2013;34:2949-3003 pubmed publisher
- Zarinabad N, Hautvast G, Sammut E, Arujuna A, Breeuwer M, Nagel E, et al. Effects of tracer arrival time on the accuracy of high-resolution (voxel-wise) myocardial perfusion maps from contrast-enhanced first-pass perfusion magnetic resonance. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2014;61:2499-2506 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that high-resolution MBF quantification should be performed with optimized tOnset values at voxel level. ..
- Kammerlander A, Aschauer S, Zotter Tufaro C, Duca F, Knechtelsdorfer K, Wiesinger M, et al. Diameter of the Pulmonary Artery in Relation to the Ascending Aorta: Association with Cardiovascular Outcome. Radiology. 2017;284:685-693 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these results, the PA-to-Ao ratio should routinely be reported at cardiac MR imaging. © RSNA, 2017 Online supplemental material is available for this article. ..
- ..In this compendium, some of the most important advances in this field are reviewed. Scientific opportunities to enhance further collaborative research to accelerate progress are identified. ..
- Nishimura R, Seggewiss H, Schaff H. Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy: Surgical Myectomy and Septal Ablation. Circ Res. 2017;121:771-783 pubmed publisher..The final decision as to which approach should be selected in any given patient is dependent up patient preference and the availability and experience of the operator and institution at which the patient is being treated. ..
- Gafoor S, Petrescu O, Lehr E, Puls C, Zhang M, Petersen J, et al. Percutaneous Tricuspid Valve Regurgitation Repair With the MitraClip Device Using an Edge-to-Edge Bicuspidization Technique. J Invasive Cardiol. 2017;29:E30-E36 pubmed..Here, we present a periprocedural imaging strategy for percutaneous tricuspid valve repair with the MitraClip device using a bicuspidization technique. ..