pulse wave analysis
Summary: Evaluation of the contour of the PULSE waves which vary in different parts of the circulation and depend on physiological as well as pathophysiological conditions of the individual.
- Mehta A, Zanobetti A, Koutrakis P, Mittleman M, Sparrow D, Vokonas P, et al. Associations between short-term changes in air pollution and correlates of arterial stiffness: The Veterans Affairs Normative Aging Study, 2007-2011. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:192-9 pubmed publisher..pressure (in mmHg) were measured at each visit by using radial artery applanation tonometry for pulse wave analysis and modeled in a mixed effects regression model as continuous functions of moving averages of air pollution ..
- Kim J, Hollowed C, Irwin Weyant M, Patel K, Hosny K, Aida H, et al. Sleep-Disordered Breathing and Cardiovascular Correlates in College Football Players. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1410-1415 pubmed publisher..Targeted efforts to identify youthful populations with SDB, including ASF participants, and implement SDB treatment algorithms, represent important future clinical directives. ..
- Neisius U, Olson E, Rossi S, Ibrahim H, Currie G, Dominiczak A, et al. Evaluation of the systemic micro- and macrovasculature in stable angina: A case-control study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178412 pubmed publisher..Carotid artery plaque burden and microvascular function appear to be most promising in this context. ..
- Vazquez Del Mercado M, Gomez Bañuelos E, Chavarria Avila E, Cardona Munoz E, Ramos Becerra C, Alanis Sanchez A, et al. Disease duration of rheumatoid arthritis is a predictor of vascular stiffness: a cross-sectional study in patients without known cardiovascular comorbidities: A STROBE-compliant article. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7862 pubmed publisher..054).Each year of life with RA contributes to a higher rate of vascular aging or stiffening than a year of life without RA. The cumulative damage provided by RA was most pronounced in patients with disease duration ?10 years. ..
- Unosson J, Blomberg A, Sandstrom T, Muala A, Boman C, Nyström R, et al. Exposure to wood smoke increases arterial stiffness and decreases heart rate variability in humans. Part Fibre Toxicol. 2013;10:20 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT01488500. ..
- Rossi S, McQuarrie E, Miller W, Mackenzie R, Dymott J, Moreno M, et al. Impaired renal function impacts negatively on vascular stiffness in patients with coronary artery disease. BMC Nephrol. 2013;14:173 pubmed publisher..Increased vascular stiffness may therefore be linked to inflammatory remodeling of the vasculature in people with impaired renal function, irrespective of concomitant atherosclerotic disease. ..
- Laugesen E, Høyem P, Christiansen J, Knudsen S, Hansen K, Argraves W, et al. Plasma levels of the arterial wall protein fibulin-1 are associated with carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity: a cross-sectional study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2013;12:107 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to determine the exact role of fibulin-1 in arterial stiffness and cardiovascular risk in patients with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Rodríguez Martín C, Alonso Dominguez R, Patino Alonso M, Gomez Marcos M, Maderuelo Fernández J, Martin Cantera C, et al. The EVIDENT diet quality index is associated with cardiovascular risk and arterial stiffness in adults. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:305 pubmed publisher..24, and 0.09 respectively (p < 0.05, all). The diet quality index developed is associated to CVR and its components, and also with arterial stiffness, as measured with PWV. This index is also a good predictor of adherence to MD. ..
- Ryan T, Parent J, Gao Z, Khoury P, Dupont E, Smith J, et al. Central Arterial Function Measured by Non-invasive Pulse Wave Analysis is Abnormal in Patients with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Pediatr Cardiol. 2017;38:1269-1276 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize arterial wave reflection is abnormal in patients with DMD. Pulse wave analysis was performed on DMD patients with a SphygmoCor SCOR-PVx System to determine central blood pressure and ..
- Zheng Y, Liang L, Qin T, Yang G, An S, Wang Y, et al. Cross-section analysis of coal workers' pneumoconiosis and higher brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity within Kailuan study. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:148 pubmed publisher..001). For patients with CWP, increased baPWV was associated with traditional cardiovascular risk factors and long-term silica dust exposure. ..
- Shin D, Lee Y, Oh J, Yoon J, Rhee S, Kim E, et al. Vascular calcification and cardiac function according to residual renal function in patients on hemodialysis with urination. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185296 pubmed publisher..9 ml/min/1.73m2 (P = 0.08). Residual renal function was significantly associated with vascular calcification and left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in patients on hemodialysis. ..
- Namba S, Yamaoka Tojo M, Kakizaki R, Nemoto T, Fujiyoshi K, Hashikata T, et al. Effects on bone metabolism markers and arterial stiffness by switching to rivaroxaban from warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. Heart Vessels. 2017;32:977-982 pubmed publisher..Switching to rivaroxaban from warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation was associated with anÂ increaseÂ of bone formation markers and aÂ decreaseÂ of bone resorption markers, and also improvements of PWVÂ and AI. ..
- Katakami N, Osonoi T, Takahara M, Saitou M, Matsuoka T, Yamasaki Y, et al. Clinical utility of brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity in the prediction of cardiovascular events in diabetic patients. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2014;13:128 pubmed publisher..02) increase in AUC (0.72 [95%CI: 0.67-0.78]). Evaluation of baPWV, in addition to carotid IMT and conventional risk factors, improved the ability to identify the diabetic individuals with high risk for CVE. ..
- Battson M, Lee D, Jarrell D, Hou S, Ecton K, Phan A, et al. Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid Reduces Arterial Stiffness and Improves Endothelial Dysfunction in Type 2 Diabetic Mice. J Vasc Res. 2017;54:280-287 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that ER stress may represent a novel cause of, and therapeutic target for, diabetic vascular dysfunction. ..
- Yang Y, Wang Z, Yuan L, Cao T, Liu J, Ren R, et al. Aortic stiffness evaluated by echocardiography in female patients with Takayasu's arteritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2017;35 Suppl 103:134-138 pubmed..This manifestation is prior to the impairment of cardiac diastolic function. This elevated AS can be detected by echocardiographic measured PWVcf with a good reproducibility. ..
- Niiranen T, Lyass A, Larson M, Hamburg N, Benjamin E, Mitchell G, et al. Prevalence, Correlates, and Prognosis of Healthy Vascular Aging in a Western Community-Dwelling Cohort: The Framingham Heart Study. Hypertension. 2017;70:267-274 pubmed publisher..Although our data are observational, our findings support prevention strategies targeting modifiable factors and behaviors and obesity, in particular, to prevent or delay vascular aging and the associated risk of CVD. ..
- Puolakka E, Pahkala K, Laitinen T, Magnussen C, Hutri Kähönen N, Kahonen M, et al. Childhood Socioeconomic Status and Arterial Stiffness in Adulthood: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Hypertension. 2017;70:729-735 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that special attention could be paid to children from low SES families to prevent cardiometabolic diseases primordially. ..
- Angermann S, Baumann M, Wassertheurer S, Mayer C, Steubl D, Hauser C, et al. Pulse wave velocity is associated with cognitive impairment in hemodialysis patients. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:1483-1493 pubmed publisher..Concerning the underlying pathogenesis of cognitive impairment, current results revealed a potential involvement of arterial stiffness, which has to be further evaluated in future studies. ..
- Tuleta I, Skowasch D, Aurich F, Eckstein N, Schueler R, Pizarro C, et al. Asthma is associated with atherosclerotic artery changes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186820 pubmed publisher..Allergic asthma is associated with distinct atherosclerotic artery changes compared to the respectively matched control collective. The severity of asthma correlates with more pronounced pathological vessel alternations...
- Turkyilmaz A, Devrimsel G, Kirbas A, Ciçek Y, Karkucak M, Capkin E, et al. Relationship between pulse wave velocity and serum YKL-40 level in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatol Int. 2013;33:2751-6 pubmed..In addition, there was an association between CF-PWV values and serum YKL-40 levels in patients with ERA. As a result, we believe that serum YKL-40 level and CF-PWV might reflect early atherosclerosis in patients with ERA. ..
- Tam L, Kitas G, Gonzalez Gay M. Can suppression of inflammation by anti-TNF prevent progression of subclinical atherosclerosis in inflammatory arthritis?. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2014;53:1108-19 pubmed..It remains unknown whether this effect is specific to TNF-a antagonists or relates to better control of inflammation irrespective of the disease modification strategy by which this is achieved. ..
- Zheng Y, Yan B, Zhang Y, Poon C. An armband wearable device for overnight and cuff-less blood pressure measurement. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2014;61:2179-86 pubmed publisher..5 ± 8.0 mmHg. It is therefore concluded from this study that the proposed wearable system has great potential to be used for overnight SBP monitoring, especially to measure the averaged SBP over a long period. ..
- Aslan A, Şirin Özcan A, Erten S, Alsancak Y, Durmaz T. Assessment of local carotid stiffness in seronegative and seropositive rheumatoid arthritis. Scand Cardiovasc J. 2017;51:255-260 pubmed publisher..005) in seropositive patients. RA per se is sufficient to cause arteriosclerosis in the absence of classical CV risk factors. However, arterial hypertrophy is only increased in seronegative patients but not in seropositive group. ..
- Hayer M, Edwards N, Slinn G, Moody W, Steeds R, Ferro C, et al. A randomized, multicenter, open-label, blinded end point trial comparing the effects of spironolactone to chlorthalidone on left ventricular mass in patients with early-stage chronic kidney disease: Rationale and design of the SPIRO-CKD trial. Am Heart J. 2017;191:37-46 pubmed publisher..Subjects are assessed before and after 40weeks of randomly allocated drug therapy and at 46weeks after discontinuation of the study drug. ..
- Aatola H, Koivistoinen T, Tuominen H, Juonala M, Lehtimaki T, Viikari J, et al. Influence of Child and Adult Elevated Blood Pressure on Adult Arterial Stiffness: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Hypertension. 2017;70:531-536 pubmed publisher..26[0.80-1.99]). The results were consistent when different definitions for child and adult elevated BP were applied. These findings highlight the importance of BP control in the primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Widya R, de Mutsert R, Westenberg J, Gast K, den Heijer M, le Cessie S, et al. Is Hepatic Triglyceride Content Associated with Aortic Pulse Wave Velocity and Carotid Intima-Media Thickness? The Netherlands Epidemiology of Obesity Study. Radiology. 2017;285:73-82 pubmed publisher..sup>© RSNA, 2017 Online supplemental material is available for this article. ..
- Maesato K, Ohtake T, Mochida Y, Ishioka K, Oka M, Moriya H, et al. Correlation of hippocampal atrophy with hyperhomocysteinemia in hemodialysis patients: An exploratory pilot study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175102 pubmed publisher..01); while age was an independent determinant of whole-brain atrophy (? = 0.594, R2 = 0.333, P<0.01). In this exploratory pilot study, hippocampal atrophy was significantly correlated with hyperhomocysteinemia in HD patients. ..
- Gómez Sánchez L, Garcia Ortiz L, Patino Alonso M, Recio Rodriguez J, Feuerbach N, Marti R, et al. Glycemic markers and relation with arterial stiffness in Caucasian subjects of the MARK study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175982 pubmed publisher..Clinical Trials.gov Identifier: NCT01428934. Registered 2 September 2011. Retrospectively registered. Last updated September 8, 2016. ..
- Ohkuma T, Ninomiya T, Tomiyama H, Kario K, Hoshide S, Kita Y, et al. Brachial-Ankle Pulse Wave Velocity and the Risk Prediction of Cardiovascular Disease: An Individual Participant Data Meta-Analysis. Hypertension. 2017;69:1045-1052 pubmed publisher..Thus, measurement of the baPWV could enhance the efficacy of prediction of the risk of development of CVD over that of the Framingham risk score, which is based on the traditional cardiovascular risk factors. ..
- Bohn L, Ramõa A, Silva G, Silva N, Abreu S, Ribeiro F, et al. Sedentary Behavior and Arterial Stiffness in Adults with and without Metabolic Syndrome. Int J Sports Med. 2017;38:396-401 pubmed publisher..9±1.0 vs. 8.9±1.0?m/s; p<0.05). Sedentary time is associated with cfPWV independently of age and metabolic risk factors. A higher Sed in MetS individuals lead to a worse arterial stiffness profile. ..
- Moczulska B, Kubiak M, Bryczkowska A, Malinowska E. [Pulse wave velocity as an early marker of diastolic heart failure in patients with hypertension]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2017;42:142-144 pubmed..It allows for an early detection of patients at risk of diastolic heart failure even within the conditions of primary health care. ..
- Foraster M, Eze I, Schaffner E, Vienneau D, Héritier H, Endes S, et al. Exposure to Road, Railway, and Aircraft Noise and Arterial Stiffness in the SAPALDIA Study: Annual Average Noise Levels and Temporal Noise Characteristics. Environ Health Perspect. 2017;125:097004 pubmed publisher..The impact of different transportation noise sources and noise environments on arterial stiffness remains unknown...
- Moyama S, Minami K, Yano M, Okumura M, Hayashi S, Takayama H, et al. Relationship between dietary patterns and brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity among middle-aged adults in Japan. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2017;26:539-544 pubmed publisher..This diet offers an additional nutritional approach to the prevention and treatment of arterial stiffness. ..
- de Vecchi A, Clough R, Gaddum N, Rutten M, Lamata P, Schaeffter T, et al. Catheter-induced errors in pressure measurements in vessels: an in-vitro and numerical study. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2014;61:1844-50 pubmed publisher..The wire allows for more accurate pressure quantification, in agreement with the numerical model without a catheter. ..
- Muhammad I, Borné Y, Ostling G, Kennbäck C, Gottsäter M, Persson M, et al. Acute phase proteins as prospective risk markers for arterial stiffness: The Malmö Diet and Cancer cohort. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181718 pubmed publisher..Alpha-1-antitrypsin, C3 and CRP are associated with arterial stiffness. The results indicate that low grade inflammation is associated with arterial stiffness in addition to established cardiovascular risk factors. ..
- Fedintsev A, Kashtanova D, Tkacheva O, Strazhesko I, Kudryavtseva A, Baranova A, et al. Markers of arterial health could serve as accurate non-invasive predictors of human biological and chronological age. Aging (Albany NY). 2017;9:1280-1292 pubmed publisher..Proposed Male and Female Arterial Indices derive biological age from the results of functional tests which do not require specialized laboratory equipment and, therefore, could be performed in hospitals and community health clinics...
- Timar O, Szekanecz Z, Kerekes G, Vegh J, Olah A, Nagy G, et al. Rosuvastatin improves impaired endothelial function, lowers high sensitivity CRP, complement and immuncomplex production in patients with systemic sclerosis--a prospective case-series study. Arthritis Res Ther. 2013;15:R105 pubmed..Six-month rosuvastatin therapy improves endothelial function and lowers CRP, C3, C4 and IC levels indicating possible favourable effects of this statin on the cardiovascular and immune system in SSc. ..
- Asrress K, Williams R, Lockie T, Khawaja M, De Silva K, Lumley M, et al. Physiology of Angina and Its Alleviation With Nitroglycerin: Insights From Invasive Catheter Laboratory Measurements During Exercise. Circulation. 2017;136:24-34 pubmed publisher..Designing antianginal therapies that exploit these mechanisms may provide new therapeutic strategies. ..
- Johnson S, Figueroa A, Navaei N, Wong A, Kalfon R, Ormsbee L, et al. Daily blueberry consumption improves blood pressure and arterial stiffness in postmenopausal women with pre- and stage 1-hypertension: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015;115:369-77 pubmed publisher..11Â±7.95 Î¼mol/L), whereas there were no changes in the control group. Daily blueberry consumption may reduce blood pressure and arterial stiffness, which may be due, in part, to increased nitric oxide production. ..
- Melilli E, Bestard Matamoros O, Manonelles Montero A, Sala Bassa N, Mast R, Grinyó Boira J, et al. Arterial stiffness in kidney transplantation: a single center case-control study comparing belatacept versus calcineurin inhibitor immunosuppressive based regimen. Nefrologia. 2015;35:58-65 pubmed publisher..008; P=0.045). Belatacept-based maintenance immunosuppression could improve kidney transplant recipient’s survival by reducing cardiovascular events related to stiffness. ..
- Miller Hodges E, Dhaun N. Pulse-wave velocity is associated with cognitive impairment in haemodialysis patients. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:1495-1498 pubmed publisher..In this issue of the Clinical Science, Angermann and colleagues present thought-provoking data related to cognitive impairment in haemodialysis patients. ..
- Pizoń T, Rajzer M, Wojciechowska W, Rojek M, Kameczura T, Jurczyszyn A, et al. [The influence of antihypertensive treatment on arterial stiffness, shear stress and activity of chosen matrix metalloproteinases]. Przegl Lek. 2015;72:53-9 pubmed..Reduction of arterial stiffness as a result of antihypertensive therapy is strongly connected with shear stress increase that is secondary to blood flow velocity growth and changes in connective tissue metabolism. ..
- Zahner G, Gruendl M, Spaulding K, Schaller M, Hills N, Gasper W, et al. Association between arterial stiffness and peripheral artery disease as measured by radial artery tonometry. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:1518-1526 pubmed publisher..augmentation index (AIX) normalized to 75 beats/min and peripheral AIX were measured using radial artery pulse wave analysis. Pulse wave velocity was recorded at the carotid and femoral arteries...
- Lukich A, Gavish D, Shargorodsky M. Normal weight diabetic patients versus obese diabetics: relation of overall and abdominal adiposity to vascular health. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2014;13:141 pubmed publisher..Abdominal obesity was associated with an adverse effect on blood vessels, independently of age, sex, blood pressure, fasting glucose and BMI. ..
- Sarafidis P, Loutradis C, Karpetas A, Tzanis G, Piperidou A, Koutroumpas G, et al. Ambulatory Pulse Wave Velocity Is a Stronger Predictor of Cardiovascular Events and All-Cause Mortality Than Office and Ambulatory Blood Pressure in Hemodialysis Patients. Hypertension. 2017;70:148-157 pubmed publisher..These findings further support that arterial stiffness is the prominent cardiovascular risk factor in hemodialysis. ..
- Terentes Printzios D, Vlachopoulos C, Xaplanteris P, Ioakeimidis N, Aznaouridis K, Baou K, et al. Cardiovascular Risk Factors Accelerate Progression of Vascular Aging in the General Population: Results From the CRAVE Study (Cardiovascular Risk Factors Affecting Vascular Age). Hypertension. 2017;70:1057-1064 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, the former may be more useful for gauging vascular aging. ..
- Mozos I, Maidana J, Stoian D, Stehlík M. Gender Differences of Arterial Stiffness and Arterial Age in Smokers. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..The results of our study indicate gender differences for arterial stiffness and arterial age in smokers. ..
- Revera M, Salvi P, Faini A, Giuliano A, Gregorini F, Bilo G, et al. Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System Is Not Involved in the Arterial Stiffening Induced by Acute and Prolonged Exposure to High Altitude. Hypertension. 2017;70:75-84 pubmed publisher..Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system does not seem to play any significant role in these hemodynamic changes. URL: https://www.clinicaltrialsregister.eu/. Unique identifier: 2008-000540-14. ..