Summary: Various units or machines that operate in combination or in conjunction with a computer but are not physically part of it. Peripheral devices typically display computer data, store data from the computer and return the data to the computer on demand, prepare data for human use, or acquire data from a source and convert it to a form usable by a computer. (Computer Dictionary, 4th ed.)
- Visser B, De Looze M, De Graaff M, van Dieën J. Effects of precision demands and mental pressure on muscle activation and hand forces in computer mouse tasks. Ergonomics. 2004;47:202-17 pubmed..The possible role of precision demands as an indirect mental stressor in working conditions is discussed. ..
- LoPresti E, Brienza D. Adaptive software for head-operated computer controls. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2004;12:102-11 pubmed..In addition, five current head-control users evaluated the software in a real-world setting. One of these five subjects perceived an improvement in comparison to his current head-control system. ..
- Rogers W, Fisk A, McLaughlin A, Pak R. Touch a screen or turn a knob: choosing the best device for the job. Hum Factors. 2005;47:271-88 pubmed..Performance was moderated by the age of the user and by task demands. Actual or potential applications of this research include guidance for the optimal selection of input devices for different user populations and task characteristics. ..
- White A, Carney E, Reichle J. Group-item and directed scanning: examining preschoolers' accuracy and efficiency in two augmentative communication symbol selection methods. Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2010;19:311-20 pubmed publisher..Whereas group-item scanning may be faster, it results in a decreased number of accurate responses. Applications for clinical practice and implications for future research are discussed. ..
- Devic S, Wang Y, Tomic N, Podgorsak E. Sensitivity of linear CCD array based film scanners used for film dosimetry. Med Phys. 2006;33:3993-6 pubmed..Results and methods presented in this work can be generalized to other CCD based transmission scanners used for film dosimetry employing either radiochromic or radiographic films. ..
- Wills S, MacKay D. DASHER--an efficient writing system for brain-computer interfaces?. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2006;14:244-6 pubmed..We propose that DASHER would be well-matched to the low bit-rate, noisy output obtained from brain-computer interfaces (BCIs), and discuss the issues surrounding the use of DASHER with BCI systems. ..
- Zabaleta H, Valencia D, Perry J, Veneman J, Keller T. Absolute position calculation for a desktop mobile rehabilitation robot based on three optical mouse sensors. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2011;2011:2069-72 pubmed publisher..61 mm with an average error of 36.70 ± 22.50 mm. The average test duration was 36.5 seconds and the average path length was 4173 mm. ..
- Sonne M, Villalta D, Andrews D. Development and evaluation of an office ergonomic risk checklist: ROSA--rapid office strain assessment. Appl Ergon. 2012;43:98-108 pubmed publisher..A ROSA final score of 5 might therefore be useful as an action level indicating when immediate change is necessary. ROSA proved to be an effective and reliable method for identifying computer use risk factors related to discomfort. ..
- Shih C, Shih C, Wu H. An adaptive dynamic pointing assistance program to help people with multiple disabilities improve their computer pointing efficiency with hand swing through a standard mouse. Res Dev Disabil. 2010;31:1515-24 pubmed publisher..Results of this study showed that, with the assistance of ADPAP, participants can acquire targets quickly, easily, and accurately, thus helping the disabled to solve their pointing problems. ..
- Hoe V, Urquhart D, Kelsall H, Sim M. Ergonomic design and training for preventing work-related musculoskeletal disorders of the upper limb and neck in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;:CD008570 pubmed publisher..This review highlights the need for high-quality RCTs examining the prevention of MSDs of the upper limb and neck. ..
- Ogawa H, Yonezawa Y, Maki H, Hahn A, Caldwell W. A web-based care-requiring client and Home Helper mutual support system. Biomed Sci Instrum. 2005;41:159-62 pubmed..With this non-vocal and paperless system, the care-requiring clients, who can easily operate the liquid crystal tablet, can very quickly communicate their needed care change requests to their Home Helper. ..
- Lee D, Kuo P, Jindrich D, Dennerlein J. Computer keyswitch force-displacement characteristics affect muscle activity patterns during index finger tapping. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009;19:810-20 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that simply changing the force-displacement characteristics of a keyswitch changes the dynamic loading of the muscles, especially in the intrinsic muscles, during keyboard work. ..
- Lin Y, Chen M, Chang Y, Yeh C, Meng L. The performance of mouse pointing and selecting for pupils with and without intellectual disabilities. Res Dev Disabil. 2009;30:1188-95 pubmed publisher..However, a similar pattern was observed in the performance of the group without disabilities. ..
- Saur S, Frengen J. GafChromic EBT film dosimetry with flatbed CCD scanner: a novel background correction method and full dose uncertainty analysis. Med Phys. 2008;35:3094-101 pubmed..At lower doses, the dose constraint must be relaxed. ..
- Pereira A, Miller T, Huang Y, Odell D, Rempel D. Holding a tablet computer with one hand: effect of tablet design features on biomechanics and subjective usability among users with small hands. Ergonomics. 2013;56:1363-75 pubmed publisher..landscape) orientation, a back ledge grip and rubberised texture. There were no differences in productivity between design features. ..
- Baker N, Redfern M. Potentially problematic postures during work site keyboard use. Am J Occup Ther. 2009;63:386-97 pubmed..Our results suggest that occupational therapists must systematically assess postures on both the right and the left sides to develop the most effective intervention strategies. ..
- Gray J, Mc Nicholl B, Webb H, Hogg G. Mice in the emergency department: vector for infection or technological aid?. Eur J Emerg Med. 2007;14:160-2 pubmed..These results suggest that mouse operated software is not adding to infection control problems in relation to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in this environment. ..
- Oppold P, Rupp M, Mouloua M, Hancock P, Martin J. Design considerations to improve cognitive ergonomic issues of unmanned vehicle interfaces utilizing video game controllers. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:5609-11 pubmed publisher..This allows the selection of the level of complexity needed for a specific task without creating an entirely new design or utilizing an overly complex design. ..
- Ripani M, Di Cesare A, Giombini A, Agnello L, Fagnani F, Pigozzi F. Spinal curvature: comparison of frontal measurements with the Spinal Mouse and radiographic assessment. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2008;48:488-94 pubmed..The Spinal Mouse results, concerning the standing frontal curvature of the spine, even if reliable, were poor when compared with the standard radiography. ..
- Chen H, Liu Y, Chen C, Chen C. Design and feasibility study of an integrated pointing device apparatus for individuals with spinal cord injury. Appl Ergon. 2007;38:275-83 pubmed..This study demonstrated the advantages of flexibility, low cost, and acceptable efficiency of the novel IPDA. ..
- Wong L, Karthikeyan C, Eichelsdoerfer D, Micklefield J, Mirkin C. A methodology for preparing nanostructured biomolecular interfaces with high enzymatic activity. Nanoscale. 2012;4:659-66 pubmed publisher..The immobilization method is applicable to a variety of proteins and gives rise to superior activity compared to proteins attached in random orientations on the surface. ..
- Shih C. Assisting people with multiple disabilities and minimal motor behavior to improve computer Drag-and-Drop efficiency through a mouse wheel. Res Dev Disabil. 2011;32:2867-74 pubmed publisher..Both participants: (a) improved their DnD efficiency with the use of DDnDAP and (b) remained highly successful through the maintenance phase. The implications of the findings are discussed. ..
- Shih C. A finger-pressing position detector for assisting people with developmental disabilities to control their environmental stimulation through fine motor activities with a standard keyboard. Res Dev Disabil. 2012;33:1360-5 pubmed publisher..e. they performed more fine motor activities to activate the environmental stimulation) during the intervention phases. The practical and developmental implications of the findings are discussed. ..
- Huysmans M, Hoozemans M, van der Beek A, de Looze M, van Dieen J. Fatigue effects on tracking performance and muscle activity. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2008;18:410-9 pubmed..Contrary to our expectations, this did not lead to an overall higher muscle activity, but to a selective increase in peak muscle activity levels of the ECR. ..
- Weintraub N, Gilmour Grill N, Weiss P. Relationship between handwriting and keyboarding performance among fast and slow adult keyboarders. Am J Occup Ther. 2010;64:123-32 pubmed..Moreover, different recommendations appear to be warranted for slow and fast keyboarders. ..
- Sebelius F, Eriksson L, Balkenius C, Laurell T. Myoelectric control of a computer animated hand: a new concept based on the combined use of a tree-structured artificial neural network and a data glove. J Med Eng Technol. 2006;30:2-10 pubmed..The training time never exceeded 30 seconds for any of the configurations used, which is three to four times faster than most currently used artificial neural network (ANN) architectures. ..
- Dasgupta S, Kruk R, Mechau N, Hahn H. Inkjet printed, high mobility inorganic-oxide field effect transistors processed at room temperature. ACS Nano. 2011;5:9628-38 pubmed publisher..8 cm(2)/(V s), which is still exceptionally large for a room temperature processed and printed transistor from inorganic materials...
- Richter J, Mathiassen S, Slijper H, Over E, Frens M. Differences in muscle load between computer and non-computer work among office workers. Ergonomics. 2009;52:1540-55 pubmed publisher..Thus, computer activity logs should be used cautiously as proxies of biomechanical exposure. Conventional non-computer tasks may have a limited potential to increase variation in muscle activity during computer-intensive office work. ..
- Atroshi I, Gummesson C, Ornstein E, Johnsson R, Ranstam J. Carpal tunnel syndrome and keyboard use at work: a population-based study. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:3620-5 pubmed..55 (95% confidence interval 0.32, 0.96). Intensive keyboard use appears to be associated with a lower risk of CTS. ..
- Schubert T, D Ausilio A, Canto R. Using Arduino microcontroller boards to measure response latencies. Behav Res Methods. 2013;45:1332-46 pubmed publisher..The Arduino performs as well as a serial response box, and better than a keyboard. In addition, our setup allows for the flexible integration of other sensors, and even actuators, to extend the cognitive science toolbox. ..
- Von Spiczak J, Samset E, Dimaio S, Reitmayr G, Schmalstieg D, Burghart C, et al. Device connectivity for image-guided medical applications. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2007;125:482-4 pubmed..Several sample applications and performance tests are provided to demonstrate the usability of the concept. ..
- Nakata N, Suzuki N, Hattori A, Hirai N, Miyamoto Y, Fukuda K. Informatics in radiology: Intuitive user interface for 3D image manipulation using augmented reality and a smartphone as a remote control. Radiographics. 2012;32:E169-74 pubmed publisher..Supplemental material available at http://radiographics.rsna.org/lookup/suppl/doi:10.1148/rg.324115086/-/DC1. ..
- Auvray M, Philipona D, O Regan J, Spence C. The perception of space and form recognition in a simulated environment: the case of minimalist sensory-substitution devices. Perception. 2007;36:1736-51 pubmed
- Keefe D, Zeleznik R, Laidlaw D. Drawing on air: input techniques for controlled 3D line illustration. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph. 2007;13:1067-80 pubmed..We present the design and results of this experiment as well as user feedback from artists and 3D models created in a style of line illustration for challenging artistic and scientific subjects. ..
- de Korte E, Huysmans M, de Jong A, van de Ven J, Ruijsendaal M. Effects of four types of non-obtrusive feedback on computer behaviour, task performance and comfort. Appl Ergon. 2012;43:344-53 pubmed publisher..Non-obtrusive feedback embedded in products and environments may successfully be used to support office workers to adopt healthy, productive and comfortable working behaviour. ..
- James D, Kjellander B, Smaal W, Gelinck G, Combe C, McCulloch I, et al. Thin-film morphology of inkjet-printed single-droplet organic transistors using polarized Raman spectroscopy: effect of blending TIPS-pentacene with insulating polymer. ACS Nano. 2011;5:9824-35 pubmed publisher..72 ± 0.17 cm(2)/(V·s) (TIPS-Pentacene:PS) in addition to improving the quality of the interface between TIPS-Pentacene and the gate dielectric in the channel, resulting in threshold voltages of ?0 V and steep subthreshold slopes. ..
- Tang T, Gminski R, Könczöl M, Modest C, Armbruster B, Mersch Sundermann V. Investigations on cytotoxic and genotoxic effects of laser printer emissions in human epithelial A549 lung cells using an air/liquid exposure system. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2012;53:125-35 pubmed publisher..Because laser printing technology is widely used, studies with additional cytogenetic endpoints are necessary to confirm the DNA-damaging potency and to identify emission components responsible for genotoxicity. ..
- Ferreira B, Lopes M, Capela M. Evaluation of an Epson flatbed scanner to read Gafchromic EBT films for radiation dosimetry. Phys Med Biol. 2009;54:1073-85 pubmed publisher..5% for doses higher than 0.5 Gy when reading parameters are optimized. Total scan uncertainty achieved is about 2% when using a perpendicular calibration. It can further be reduced if a parallel calibration is used. ..
- Houtsma A, Keuning H. Can augmented force feedback facilitate virtual target acquisition tasks?. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2006;119:207-12 pubmed..g. laparoscopy, catheterization) where a certain target has to be reached whose precise location may be known or unknown. ..
- Chin C, Barreto A, Adjouadi M. Enhanced real-time cursor control algorithm, based on the spectral analysis of electromyograms. Biomed Sci Instrum. 2006;42:249-54 pubmed..The experimental results were evaluated using Fitts' Law analysis. The results show that the new algorithm provides improved point-and-click performance over the old algorithm. ..
- Zuley M, Willison K, Bonaccio E, Miller D, Leong D, Seifert P, et al. Full-field digital mammography on LCD versus CRT monitors. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006;187:1492-8 pubmed..The 5-megapixel monochrome active-matrix LCD is equivalent to and in some respects better than the 5-megapixel CRT display for full-field digital mammograms over a range of normal and abnormal findings. ..
- Bützler J, Vetter S, Jochems N, Schlick C. Bivariate pointing movements on large touch screens: investigating the validity of a refined Fitts' Law. Work. 2012;41 Suppl 1:3526-32 pubmed publisher..By using the refined model, software designers can calculate a priori the appropriate angular position and the size of buttons, menus or icons. ..
- Kiss P, De Meester M, Kruse A, Chavée B, Braeckman L. Neck and shoulder complaints in computer workers and associated easy to assess occupational factors--a large-scale cross-sectional multivariate study. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2012;85:197-206 pubmed publisher..Use of the computer mouse, both duration and relative position, and forearm support were also important factors. ..
- Ludewig E, Boeltzig C, Gäbler K, Werrmann A, Oechtering G. Display quality of different monitors in feline digital radiography. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2011;52:1-9 pubmed..The observed differences between monitors place an emphasis on the need for guidelines defining minimum requirements for the acceptance of monitors and for quality control in veterinary radiography. ..
- Elze T. Achieving precise display timing in visual neuroscience experiments. J Neurosci Methods. 2010;191:171-9 pubmed publisher..The use of LCD technology for brief stimulus presentation requires extensive display measurements prior to the experiment. ..
- Kencana A, Heng J. Experiment on a novel user input for computer interface utilizing tongue input for the severely disabled. Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2008;3:351-9 pubmed publisher..Further clinical trials will be required to test out the device on disabled persons before it is ready for future commercial development. ..
- Peng Q, Budinger T. ZigBee-based wireless intra-oral control system for quadriplegic patients. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:1647-50 pubmed..The system is designed to improve the life quality of patients with stroke and patients with spinal cord injury. ..
- Bang M, Timpka T. Ubiquitous computing to support co-located clinical teams: using the semiotics of physical objects in system design. Int J Med Inform. 2007;76 Suppl 1:S58-64 pubmed..A key issue that needs to be solved before employing such solutions in practice is associated with limited feedback from the passive paper interfaces. ..
- Jin J, Allison B, Brunner C, Wang B, Wang X, Zhang J, et al. P300 Chinese input system based on Bayesian LDA. Biomed Tech (Berl). 2010;55:5-18 pubmed publisher..The offline results from 11 subjects show that this new P300 BCI can effectively communicate Chinese characters and that the features extracted from the electrodes obtained by PSO yield good performance. ..