Genomes and Genes
Summary: An amorphous form of carbon prepared from the incomplete combustion of animal or vegetable matter, e.g., wood. The activated form of charcoal is used in the treatment of poisoning. (Grant & Hackh's Chemical Dictionary, 5th ed)
Publications372 found, 100 shown here
- Indications for single-dose activated charcoal administration in acute overdoseGeoffrey K Isbister
Department of Clinical Toxicology and Pharmacology, Calvary Mater Newcastle and Discipline of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Curr Opin Crit Care 17:351-7. 2011..There has been a significant decrease in the use of single-dose activated charcoal (SDAC) in recent years based on little new evidence and possibly because the overall mortality in overdose ..
- Recovery of Flavobacterium psychrophilum viable cells using a charcoal-based solid mediumB Alvarez
Area de Microbiologia, Departamento de Biologia Funcional, Facultad de Medicina, IUBA, Universidad de Oviedo, Oviedo, Spain
Lett Appl Microbiol 44:569-72. 2007..This micro-organism is somewhat fastidious being difficult to isolate and culture. The aim of this study was to develop a new solid medium which improves the recovery of viable cells from a sample...
- Differences between organophosphorus insecticides in human self-poisoning: a prospective cohort studyMichael Eddleston
South Asian Clinical Toxicology Research Collaboration, Centre for Tropical Medicine, University of Oxford, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Lancet 366:1452-9. 2005..We aimed to determine whether the three most common organophosphorus insecticides used for self-poisoning in Sri Lanka differ in the clinical features and severity of poisoning they cause...
- The population pharmacokinetics of citalopram after deliberate self-poisoning: a Bayesian approachLena E Friberg
School of Pharmacy, University of Queensland, Brishane, Australia
J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn 32:571-605. 2005..Activated charcoal was administered between 0.5 and 4 h after 17 overdose events...
- Charcoal emissions as a source of CO and carcinogenic PAH in mainstream narghile waterpipe smokeBassel Monzer
Department of Mechanical Engineering, American University of Beirut, Riad El Solh, Beirut, Lebanon
Food Chem Toxicol 46:2991-5. 2008Burning charcoal is normally placed atop the tobacco to smoke the narghile waterpipe...
- Life cycle assessment of biochar systems: estimating the energetic, economic, and climate change potentialKelli G Roberts
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Environ Sci Technol 44:827-33. 2010..Biochar may at present only deliver climate change mitigation benefits and be financially viable as a distributed system using waste biomass...
- Biochar and the nitrogen cycle: introductionTim J Clough
Dep of Soil and Physical Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences, P O Box 84, Lincoln Univ, Lincoln 7647, New Zealand
J Environ Qual 39:1218-23. 2010..This research needs to be performed at both field plot and microbial scales...
- Sustainable biochar to mitigate global climate changeDominic Woolf
School of the Environment and Society, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, UK
Nat Commun 1:56. 2010..Biochar has a larger climate-change mitigation potential than combustion of the same sustainably procured biomass for bioenergy, except when fertile soils are amended while coal is the fuel being offset...
- Comorbid psychiatric diagnoses in suicide attempt by charcoal burning: a 10-year study in a general hospital in TaiwanChemin Lin
Department of Psychiatry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linkou, Taiwan
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 34:552-6. 2012Over the last decade, charcoal burning has become a common method of suicide in Taiwan; however, the underlying psychiatric diagnoses and gender differences have yet to be examined.
- Adsorption of heavy metal ions from aqueous solutions by activated carbon prepared from apricot stoneM Kobya
Department of Environmental Engineering, Gebze Institute of Technology, Turkey
Bioresour Technol 96:1518-21. 2005..Adsorption capacities for the metal ions were obtained in the descending order of Cr(VI) > Cd(II) > Co(II) > Cr(III) > Ni(II) > Cu(II) > Pb(II) for the activated carbon prepared from apricot stone (ASAC)...
- Influence of smoking charcoal filter tipped cigarettes on various biomarkers of exposureGerhard Scherer
ABF Analytisch biologisches Forschungslabor GmbH, Muenchen, Germany
Inhal Toxicol 18:821-9. 2006b>Charcoal (CC) filters of cigarettes are known to significantly reduce a series of volatile constituents in mainstream smoke, including reactive alpha,beta-unsaturated aldehydes such as acrolein and crotonaldehyde...
- Administration of oral charcoal adsorbent (AST-120) suppresses low-turnover bone progression in uraemic ratsYoshiko Iwasaki
Department of Health Sciences, Oiya University of Nursing and Health Sciences, Oita 870 1201, Japan
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:2768-74. 2006..In this study, focusing on indoxyl sulphate (IS) as a representative UTx, we analysed the effect of an oral charcoal adsorbent AST-120, which removes uraemic toxins and their precursors from the gastrointestinal tract, on bone ..
- Pharmacokinetics of quetiapine in overdose and the effect of activated charcoalG K Isbister
Department of Clinical Toxicology and Pharmacology, Newcastle Mater Hospital, Newcastle and Tropical Toxinology Unit, Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Clin Pharmacol Ther 81:821-7. 2007The aim of the study was to investigate the pharmacokinetics of quetiapine overdose and the effect of charcoal. The data set included 204 concentration-time points from 54 quetiapine overdose events (median dose 2,700 mg (300-24,000 mg))...
- The evolution of the epidemic of charcoal-burning suicide in Taiwan: a spatial and temporal analysisShu Sen Chang
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 7:e1000212. 2010An epidemic of carbon monoxide poisoning suicide by burning barbecue charcoal has occurred in East Asia in the last decade...
- Removal of residual colonic ciprofloxacin in the rat by activated charcoal entrapped within zinc-pectinate beadsMouhamad Khoder
Univ Paris Sud, UMR CNRS 8612, Chatenay Malabry, France
Eur J Pharm Sci 41:281-8. 2010..the selection of ciprofloxacin resistance, intestine or colon-targeted zinc-pectinate beads containing activated charcoal (AC) were designed for the inactivation of residual ciprofloxacin in the gastrointestinal tract of rats...
- Oral activated charcoal adsorbent (AST-120) ameliorates extent and instability of atherosclerosis accelerated by kidney disease in apolipoprotein E-deficient miceSuguru Yamamoto
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 26:2491-7. 2011..The oral charcoal adsorbent, AST-120, currently used to delay start of dialysis, reduces circulating and tissue uremic toxins, ..
- Sorption hysteresis of benzene in charcoal particlesWashington J Braida
Department of Soil and Water, The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, P O Box 1106, New Haven, Connecticut 06504 1106, USA
Environ Sci Technol 37:409-17. 2003b>Charcoal is found in water, soil, and sediment where it may act as a sorbent of organic pollutants. The sorption of organic compounds to natural solids often shows hysteresis...
- Comment on "Fire-derived charcoal causes loss of forest humus"Johannes Lehmann
Department of Crop and Soil Sciences, 909 Bradfield Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Science 321:1295; author reply 1295. 2008Wardle et al. (Brevia, 2 May 2008, p. 629) reported that fire-derived charcoal can promote loss of forest humus and belowground carbon (C)...
- The impact of media reporting on the emergence of charcoal burning suicide in TaiwanYing Yeh Chen
Taipei City Psychiatric Center, Taipei City Hospital, Taipei City, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 8:e55000. 2013We investigated the association of the intensity of newspaper reporting of charcoal burning suicide with the incidence of such deaths in Taiwan during 1998-2002...
- Investigating the enteroenteric recirculation of apixaban, a factor Xa inhibitor: administration of activated charcoal to bile duct-cannulated rats and dogs receiving an intravenous dose and use of drug transporter knockout ratsDonglu Zhang
Bristol Myers Squibb, F13 01, Princeton, NJ 08543, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 41:906-15. 2013..v. doses together with oral administration of activated charcoal (AC)...
- Removal of lead from aqueous solutions on palm shell activated carbonGulnaziya Issabayeva
Chemical Engineering Department, University Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Bioresour Technol 97:2350-5. 2006..The diffuse layer surface complexation model was applied to predict the extent of adsorption. The model prediction was found to be in concordance with the experimental values...
- Factors affecting the choice of cooking fuel, cooking place and respiratory health in the Accra metropolitan area, GhanaKwasi Owusu Boadi
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, Faculty of Mathematics and Science, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland
J Biosoc Sci 38:403-12. 2006..About 65.3% of respondents use charcoal and 4.2% use unprocessed wood. A total of 241 (25...
- The contribution of charcoal burning to the rise and decline of suicides in Hong Kong from 1997-2007C K Law
Hong Kong Institute of Asia Pacific Studies, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Room 507, Esther Lee Building, Shatin, Hong Kong, China
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 46:797-803. 2011..The recent emergence and growth of suicide using carbon monoxide poisoning resulting from burning charcoal in an enclosed space (hereafter, "charcoal burning") was related to an increase in the overall suicide rate in ..
- [Respiratory symptoms in charcoal production workers in the cities of Lindolfo Collor, Ivoti and Presidente Lucena, Brazil]Rafael Machado de Souza
Centro Universitário Feevale, Novo Hamburgo, RS, Brasil
J Bras Pneumol 36:210-7. 2010To determine the prevalence of respiratory symptoms and smoking, as well as pulmonary function parameters among charcoal production workers in three cities in southern Brazil.
- Activated charcoal filter effectively reduces p-benzosemiquinone from the mainstream cigarette smoke and prevents emphysemaNeekkan Dey
Department of Biotechnology and Dr B C Guha Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University College of Science, Kolkata 700019, India
J Biosci 35:217-30. 2010..and pathophysiological effects of mainstream smoke from cellulose acetate (CA)-filtered cigarettes with that of charcoal-filtered cigarettes developed in our laboratory...
- Position paper: Single-dose activated charcoalP A Chyka
Tennessee Poison Center, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, VUMC Nashville, TN 37232 4632, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 43:61-87. 2005Single-dose activated charcoal therapy involves the oral administration or instillation by nasogastric tube of an aqueous preparation of activated charcoal after the ingestion of a poison...
- Restricting the means of suicide by charcoal burningPaul S F Yip
HKJC Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Br J Psychiatry 196:241-2. 2010We conducted an exploratory controlled trial to examine the efficacy of restricting access to charcoal in preventing suicides from carbon monoxide poisoning by charcoal burning in Hong Kong...
- Suicide by charcoal burning in Taiwan, 1995-2006Yi Ju Pan
Taiwan Suicide Prevention Center, Department of Health, Taiwan
J Affect Disord 120:254-7. 2010We sought to identify risk factors and trends that might underlie the greatly increased incidence of charcoal-burning suicide in Taiwan and to learn whether the increasing accessibility of a single suicide method can increase overall ..
- Impact of biochar application to a Mediterranean wheat crop on soil microbial activity and greenhouse gas fluxesS Castaldi
Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali, Seconda Universita degli Studi di Napoli, Via Vivaldi 43, Caserta, Italy
Chemosphere 85:1464-71. 2011..Overall the char treatments showed a minimal impact on microbial parameters and GHG fluxes over the first 14 months after biochar incorporation...
- Oral or intravenous N-acetylcysteine: which is the treatment of choice for acetaminophen (paracetamol) poisoning?N A Buckley
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Australia
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 37:759-67. 1999..It has been stated on the basis of a selected post-hoc analysis that oral N-acetylcysteine is superior to intravenous N-acetylcysteine in presentations later than 15 hours...
- Barbecue charcoal combustion as a potential source of aromatic volatile organic compounds and carbonylsEhsanul Kabir
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Sejong University, Seoul 143 747, Republic of Korea
J Hazard Mater 174:492-9. 2010..organic compounds (VOCs) and carbonyl compounds were quantified during the combustion of commonly used barbecue charcoal. The concentrations of VOC and carbonyls were determined by gas chromatography coupled with thermal desorption ..
- Determination of benzo[a]pyrene in charcoal grilled meat samples by HPLC with fluorescence detectionS Fatma Aygün
Science and Arts Faculty, Department of Chemistry, Ondokuz Mayis University, 55139 Kurupelit, Samsun, Turkey
Int J Food Sci Nutr 56:581-5. 2005In this study, an HPLC procedure for the quantitative determination of benzo[a]pyrene (BaP) in charcoal grilled meat samples has been applied to the analysis of the Turkish meat samples...
- How long after drug ingestion is activated charcoal still effective?R Green
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 39:601-5. 2001..Toxicology/European Association of Poisons Centres and Clinical Toxicologists position statement on activated charcoal stated "there are insufficient data to support or exclude its use after 1 hour of ingestion...
- Calibration of diffusion barrier charcoal detectors using a semi-empirical expressionM E Montero Cabrera
Centro de Investigacion en Materiales Avanzados, SC, Complejo Industrial Chihuahua, Miguel de Cervantes 120, Chihuahua, Chih 31109, Mexico
Appl Radiat Isot 59:281-7. 2003Several calibration settings of diffusion barrier charcoal canister (DBCC) detectors for measuring radon concentration in air were studied...
- Dermal exposure assessment to benzene and toluene using charcoal cloth padsBerna van Wendel de Joode
Department of Chemical Exposure Assessment, TNO Chemistry, Zeist, The Netherlands
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 15:47-50. 2005b>Charcoal cloth pads have been used to assess volatile chemicals on the skin in a laboratory setting; however, they have not yet been applied to measure dermal exposure in occupational settings...
- Urinary biomarkers in charcoal workers exposed to wood smoke in Bahia State, BrazilMina Kato
FUNDACENTRO CRBA, CEP 41280 770, Salvador BA, Brzail
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:1005-12. 2004b>Charcoal is an important source of energy for domestic and industrial use in many countries...
- Charcoal burning is also popular for suicide pacts made on the internetDominic T S Lee
BMJ 330:602. 2005
- Characterization of aromatic compound sorptive interactions with black carbon (charcoal) assisted by graphite as a modelDongqiang Zhu
Department of Soil and Water, The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, New Haven, Connecticut 06504, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:2033-41. 2005Molecular interactions controlling the sorption of pollutants to environmental black carbons (soot, charcoal) are not well-resolved...
- Effects of manufacturing conditions on the adsorption capacity of heavy metal ions by Makino bamboo charcoalSong Yung Wang
School of Forestry and Resource Conservation, College of Bio Resource and Agriculture, National Taiwan University, No 1, Sec 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei 10617, Taiwan, ROC
Bioresour Technol 99:7027-33. 2008..the effects of manufacturing conditions on the adsorption capacity of heavy metal ions by Makino bamboo charcoal. Results show that the specific surface area and iodine number of bamboo charcoal activated at 900 degrees C were ..
- The role of activated charcoal in plant tissue cultureT Dennis Thomas
Research Department of Botany, St Thomas College, Pala, Arunapuram P O, PIN 686574, Kottayam Dt, Kerala, India
Biotechnol Adv 26:618-31. 2008Activated charcoal has a very fine network of pores with large inner surface area on which many substances can be adsorbed. Activated charcoal is often used in tissue culture to improve cell growth and development...
- Removal of ciprofloxacin in simulated digestive media by activated charcoal entrapped within zinc-pectinate beadsMouhamad Khoder
Universite Paris Sud, UMR 8612, Chatenay Malabry, F 92290, France
Int J Pharm 379:251-9. 2009Beads made of a zinc-pectinate matrix containing activated charcoal were designed for the adsorption of colonic residual antibiotics responsible of the emergence of resistance...
- Economic fluctuations and suicide: a comparison of Taiwan and Hong KongYing Yeh Chen
Taipei City Psychiatric Centre, Taipei City Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Soc Sci Med 71:2083-90. 2010..for Hong Kong; whereas the suicide rate in Taiwan still remained at a high level due to the increasing number of charcoal burning suicide deaths despite improvements in employment conditions...
- Environmental contextualisation of potential toxic elements and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in biocharAlessia Freddo
School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich Research Park, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
Environ Pollut 171:18-24. 2012..Collectively, results suggest that environmental impacts attributable to metals, metalloids and PAHs associated with biochar following its application to soil are likely to be minimal...
- Mineral composition and charcoal determine the bacterial community structure in artificial soilsGuo Chun Ding
Julius Kühn Institut JKI, Federal Research Centre for Cultivated Plants, Braunschweig, Germany
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 86:15-25. 2013..minerals montmorillonite (M) and illite (I), the metal oxides ferrihydrite (F) and aluminum hydroxide (A), and charcoal (C) on soil bacterial communities, seven artificial soils with identical texture provided by quartz (Q) were ..
- Randomised clinical trial: a herbal preparation of myrrh, chamomile and coffee charcoal compared with mesalazine in maintaining remission in ulcerative colitis--a double-blind, double-dummy studyJ Langhorst
Department for Integrative Gastroenterology, Kliniken Essen Mitte, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 38:490-500. 2013The herbal treatment with myrrh, dry extract of chamomile flowers and coffee charcoal has anti-inflammatory and antidiarrhoeal potential and might benefit patients with UC...
- Household wood and charcoal smoke increases risk of otitis media in childhood in MaputoJoao Leopoldo da Costa
Department of Community Health, Faculdade de Medicina UEM, Maputo, Mozambique
Int J Epidemiol 33:573-8. 2004This study examined the association of otitis media in children <6 years old and the exposure to wood and charcoal smoke, as well as to other risk factors, in Maputo.
- Charcoal haemoperfusion in a child with amitriptyline poisoningIsmail Islek
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Ondokuz Mayis University, 55139 Samsun, Turkey
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:3190-1. 2004
- Characterization of charcoal adsorption sites for aromatic compounds: insights drawn from single-solute and bi-solute competitive experimentsMichael Sander
Department of Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering Program, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:1606-15. 2005b>Charcoal, the residue of incomplete biomass burning that is found in many soils and sediments, is considered a high affinity sorbent for organic pollutants. However, little is known about the microscopic processes controlling sorption...
- Influence of activated charcoal on the pharmacokinetics of moxifloxacin following intravenous and oral administration of a 400 mg single dose to healthy malesH Stass
Bayer AG, Pharma Research Centre, ICP, 42096 Wuppertal, Germany
Br J Clin Pharmacol 59:536-41. 2005..circulation contributes to moxifloxacin bioavailability in healthy, males by administration of activated charcoal and to evaluate the efficacy of activated charcoal administration in decreasing systemic concentrations of ..
- Adsorption of dyes from aqueous solutions on activated charcoalMuhammad J Iqbal
Department of Chemistry, Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad 45320, Pakistan
J Hazard Mater 139:57-66. 2007..methylene blue, eriochrome black-T, malachite green, phenol red and methyl violet from aqueous media on activated charcoal has been investigated...
- Foreign body granuloma of activated charcoalYoung Kon Kim
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Chonbuk National University Hospital and Medical School, Keum Am Dong, Jeonju, South Korea
Abdom Imaging 33:94-7. 2008We present foreign body granulomas induced by activated charcoal from intraperitoneal chemotherapy and mimicked peritoneal metastases in the patients with gastric cancer...
- Activated charcoal decreases the risk of QT prolongation after citalopram overdoseGeoffrey K Isbister
Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Australia
Ann Emerg Med 50:593-600, 600.e1-46. 2007We determine whether single-dose activated charcoal (SDAC) administration after citalopram overdose reduces the proportion of patients developing abnormal QT prolongation.
- Multiple-dose activated charcoal in acute self-poisoning: a randomised controlled trialMichael Eddleston
Centre for Tropical Medicine, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet 371:579-87. 2008..We therefore aimed to assess whether routine treatment with multiple-dose activated charcoal, to interrupt enterovascular or enterohepatic circulations, offers benefit compared with no charcoal in such an ..
- Charcoal haemoperfusion in amitriptyline poisoning: experience in 20 childrenKenan Bek
Ondokuz Mayis University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Samsun, Turkey
Nephrology (Carlton) 13:193-7. 2008..Amitriptyline (AT) is one of the most commonly prescribed TCAs. Current guidelines do not recommend charcoal haemoperfusion (HP) for AT overdose due to high protein binding and large volume of distribution...
- Fire-derived charcoal causes loss of forest humusDavid A Wardle
Department of Forest Ecology and Management, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, SE901 83 Umeå, Sweden
Science 320:629. 2008..driver of carbon storage and converts a substantial proportion of plant biomass to black carbon (for example, charcoal), which remains in the soil for thousands of years...
- An integrative suicide prevention program for visitor charcoal burning suicide and suicide pactPaul W C Wong
HKJC Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR
Suicide Life Threat Behav 39:82-90. 2009An integrative suicide prevention program was implemented to tackle an outbreak of visitor charcoal burning suicides in Cheung Chau, an island in Hong Kong, in 2002. This study evaluated the effectiveness of the program...
- Reconstructing Holocene fire history in a southern Appalachian forest using soil charcoalKurt A Fesenmyer
Nicholas School of the Environment, Box 90328, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Ecology 91:662-70. 2010..Here we used 82 radiocarbon ages for soil charcoal collected from local depositional sites along a topographic gradient from mixed hardwood (Liriodendron tulipifera ..
- Charcoal hemoperfusion in an infant with supraventricular tachycardia and seizures secondary to amitriptyline intoxicationMehmet Mutlu
Department of Pediatrics, Karadeniz Technical University Faculty of Medicine, Trabzon, Turkey
Hum Exp Toxicol 30:254-6. 2011..Although antiarrhythmic and anticonvulsive agents were administrated, SVT and seizures persisted. Charcoal hemoperfusion (HP) was performed for 4 hours...
- Infliximab attenuates activated charcoal and polyethylene glycol aspiration-induced lung injury in ratsAygul Guzel
Department of Chest Disease, Samsun Chest Disease and Chest Surgery Hospital, Samsun, Turkey
Exp Lung Res 38:147-56. 2012..Therefore, the authors investigated the attenuation by infliximab (INF) on activated charcoal (AC)- and polyethylene glycol (PEG)-induced lung injury in rat model...
- Biochar and hydrochar effects on greenhouse gas (carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane) fluxes from soilsClaudia Kammann
Department of Plant Ecology, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
J Environ Qual 41:1052-66. 2012..In the second experiment, 0% (control) or 8% (w/w) of BC (peanut hull, maize, wood chip, or charcoal) or 8% HC (beet chips or bark) was mixed into a soil and incubated at 65% water-holding capacity (WHC) for 140 d...
- Metal oxides, clay minerals and charcoal determine the composition of microbial communities in matured artificial soils and their response to phenanthreneDoreen Babin
Julius Kühn Institut, Federal Research Centre for Cultivated Plants, Institute for Epidemiology and Pathogen Diagnostics, Braunschweig, Germany
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 86:3-14. 2013..This study aimed to elucidate the long-term effect of the soil mineral composition and charcoal on the microbial community composition established in matured artificial soils and their response to phenanthrene...
- Global charcoal mobilization from soils via dissolution and riverine transport to the oceansRudolf Jaffé
Southeast Environmental Research Center, and Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199, USA
Science 340:345-7. 2013Global biomass burning generates 40 million to 250 million tons of charcoal every year, part of which is preserved for millennia in soils and sediments...
- Phase II study of activated charcoal to prevent irinotecan-induced diarrheaMichael Michael
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 22:4410-7. 2004..The aim of this study was to assess whether activated charcoal (AC), possibly by adsorbing free lumenal SN38, can reduce irinotecan-induced diarrhea (CID) and optimize its dose-..
- Removal of malachite green from aqueous solution using low-cost chlorella-based biomassWen Tien Tsai
Graduate Institute of Bioresources, National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, No 1, Shuehfu Rd, Neipu, Pingtung 912, Taiwan
J Hazard Mater 175:844-9. 2010....
- Charcoal addition to soils in NE England: a carbon sink with environmental co-benefits?M J Bell
Dept of Earth Sciences, Science Laboratories, South Road, Durham, England, DH1 3LE, UK
Sci Total Environ 409:1704-14. 2011Interest in the application of biochar (charcoal produced during the pyrolysis of biomass) to agricultural land is increasing across the world, recognised as a potential way to capture and store atmospheric carbon...
- Biochar incorporation into pasture soil suppresses in situ nitrous oxide emissions from ruminant urine patchesArezoo Taghizadeh-Toosi
Dep of Soil and Physical Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture and Life Sciences, P O Box 84, Lincoln Univ, Lincoln, 7647 NZ, USA
J Environ Qual 40:468-76. 2011..Further work is required to determine the persistence of the observed effect and to fully understand the mechanism(s) of the observed reduction in N2O fluxes...
- Manipulation of the onset of ectomycorrhiza formation by indole-3-acetic acid, activated charcoal or relative humidity in the association between oak microcuttings and Piloderma croceum: influence on plant development and photosynthesisSylvie Herrmann
Institute of General Botany, Department of Plant Physiology, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Dornburger Strasse 159, D 07743 Jena, Germany
J Plant Physiol 161:509-17. 2004..Addition of indole-3-acetic acid or activated charcoal to the medium caused an early and more intensive EM formation coupled with suppression of most developmental ..
- Removal of nitrate-nitrogen from drinking water using bamboo powder charcoalKei Mizuta
Department of Applied Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kagoshima University, 1 21 40, Korimoto, Kagoshima 890 0065, Japan
Bioresour Technol 95:255-7. 2004The adsorption effectiveness of bamboo powder charcoal (BPC); made from the residual of Moso bamboo manufacturing; in removing nitrate-nitrogen from water has been investigated...
- Charcoal-burning suicide in post-transition Hong KongKathy P M Chan
HKJC Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Br J Psychiatry 186:67-73. 2005b>Charcoal-burning, a new suicide method, emerged in Hong Kong during the latest economic recession. Within 2 months charcoal-burning had become the third most common suicide method.
- Adsorption of chromium from aqueous solution by activated alumina and activated charcoalSuman Mor
Department of Energy and Environmental Science, Chaudhary Devi Lal University, Sirsa, Haryana 125 055, India
Bioresour Technol 98:954-7. 2007..ions from aqueous solution under different conditions was investigated using activated alumina (AA) and activated charcoal (AC) as adsorbents...
- Bench-scale and packed bed sorption of methylene blue using treated olive pomace and charcoalF Banat
Department of Chemical Engineering, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid 22110, Jordan
Bioresour Technol 98:3017-25. 2007A combination of olive pomace after solvent extraction and charcoal produced from the solid waste of olive oil press industry was used as an adsorbent for the removal of methylene blue (MB) dye from aqueous solutions...
- Problems in estimating the number of suicides by charcoal burning in TaiwanJin Jia Lin
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:566. 2008
- Indoor charcoal smoke and acute respiratory infections in young children in the Dominican RepublicLeonelo E Bautista
Department of Population Health Sciences, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:572-80. 2009The authors investigated the effect of charcoal smoke exposure on risks of acute upper and lower respiratory infection (AURI and ALRI) among children under age 18 months in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (1991-1992)...
- Trapping and decomposing of color compounds from recycled water by TiO(2) coated activated carbonBo Zhu
Institute for Sustainability and Innovation, Victoria University, P O Box 14428, Melbourne, VIC 8001, Australia
J Environ Manage 90:3217-25. 2009..Finally, it was found that this regeneration process could be greatly enhanced with the assistance of H(2)O(2) and ultrasound by reducing the required regeneration time...
- Effects of bamboo charcoal and bamboo vinegar on nitrogen conservation and heavy metals immobility during pig manure compostingYing Xu Chen
Zhejiang Province Key Laboratory for Water Pollution Control and Environmental Safety, Hangzhou, PR China
Chemosphere 78:1177-81. 2010..In this study the effects of bamboo charcoal (BC) and bamboo vinegar (BV) added to composting piles on nitrogen conservation and immobility of Cu and Zn ..
- Effects of charcoal on the absorption and elimination of the antiepileptic drugs lamotrigine and oxcarbazepineTapani Keränen
Department of Pharmacy, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland
Arzneimittelforschung 60:421-6. 2010The effects of single and repeated doses of oral activated charcoal (OAC) on the absorption and elimination of the antiepileptic drugs, lamotrigine (CAS 84057-84-1, LTG, Lamictal) and oxcarbazepine (CAS 28721-07-5, OXC, Trileptal) were ..
- Wildfire and charcoal enhance nitrification and ammonium-oxidizing bacterial abundance in dry montane forest soilsP N Ball
Microbial Ecology Program, Division of Biological Sciences, The Univ of Montana, Missoula, MT 59812, USA
J Environ Qual 39:1243-53. 2010All forest fire events generate some quantity of charcoal, which may persist in soils for hundreds to thousands of years...
- Effect of charcoal filter on the emergence from sevoflurane anesthesia in a semi-closed rebreathing circuitDong Jin Chang
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 250 Seongsan ro, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 52:668-72. 2011A charcoal filter attached within the anesthetic circuit has been shown to efficiently adsorb halothane or isoflurane, thus hastening anesthetic recovery in low or minimal flow system...
- Synergetic effect between photocatalytic degradation and adsorption processes on the removal of phenolic compounds from olive mill wastewaterKatie Baransi
The Galilee Society, Institute of Applied Research, P O Box 437, Shefa Amr 20200, Israel
Water Res 46:789-98. 2012..87% removal of total polyphenols, compared to 58% of COD, was achieved after 24h of exposure to 365nm irradiation (7.6W/m(2)) in the presence of a suspended mixture of TiO(2) and PAC, indicating "self-selectivity" of polyphenols...
- Characterization of biochars to evaluate recalcitrance and agronomic performanceAkio Enders
Department of Crop and Soil Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Bioresour Technol 114:644-53. 2012..In contrast to stability, agronomic utility of biochars is not an absolute value, as it needs to meet local soil constraints. Woody feedstock demonstrated the greatest versatility with pH values ranging from 4 to 9...
- Direct identification of bacteria from charcoal-containing blood culture bottles using matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionisation time-of-flight mass spectrometryN Wüppenhorst
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, University Medical Centre Freiburg, Hermann Herder Straße 11, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:2843-50. 2012..Identification rates are high and results are accurate for the BACTEC™ system and for charcoal-free bottles...
- Frequency and clinical features of patients who attempted suicide by charcoal burning in JapanKoji Kato
Department of Psychiatry, Tokai University School of Medicine, 143 Shimokasuya, Isehara shi, Kanagawa 259 1143, Japan
J Affect Disord 145:133-5. 2013To date, the clinical features between patients in Japan who have attempted suicide by charcoal burning and those who have attempted suicide by other methods in the context of a mental disorder diagnosis as assessed by structured ..
- Suicide by burning barbecue charcoal in EnglandYing Yeh Chen
Taipei City Psychiatric Center, Taipei City Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Public Health (Oxf) 35:223-7. 2013Suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning from burning barbecue charcoal has become a common method of suicide in several Asian countries over the last 15 years...
- Preconcentration and determination of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in environmental water samples by solid-phase microextraction with Fe3O4-coated bamboo charcoal fibers prior to gas chromatography-mass spectrometryRu Song Zhao
Key Laboratory for Applied Technology of Sophisticated Analytical Instruments of Shandong Province, Analysis and Test Center, Shandong Academy of Sciences, Jinan 250014, China
Anal Chim Acta 769:65-71. 2013..The results indicate that bamboo charcoal/Fe3O4 as an SPME coating material coupled with gas chromatography-negative chemical ionization-mass spectrometry ..
- Biochar properties regarding to contaminants content and ecotoxicological assessmentPatryk Oleszczuk
Department of Environmental Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, 3 Maria Curie Skłodowska Square, 20 031 Lublin, Poland
J Hazard Mater 260:375-82. 2013..magna. Relatively the least sensitive to extracts from the biochars proved to be S. capricornutum and T. thermophila. A significant correlation between the content of PAHs and toxicity was noted only in the case of D. magna...
- Comparison on pore development of activated carbon produced from palm shell and coconut shellWan Mohd Ashri Wan Daud
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Bioresour Technol 93:63-9. 2004..However, for coconut-shell-based activated carbon, the change in macropore volume with burn-off was almost negligible but the absolute macropore volume decreased with burn-off...
- Preparation and characterization of activated carbon from waste biomassTurgay Tay
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Anadolu University, Eskisehir, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 165:481-5. 2009..The ash and sulphur contents of the activated carbons obtained with chemical activation by K(2)CO(3) were lower than those by chemical activation with KOH...
- Removal of iodine by solid phase adsorption to charcoal following iodine oxidation of acetamidomethyl-protected peptide precursors to their disulfide bonded products: oxytocin and a Pre-S1 peptide of hepatitis B virus illustrate the methodD Sahal
Recombinant Gene Products Group, International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, New Delhi, India
J Pept Res 53:91-7. 1999..It has been found that charcoal effectively, selectively and rapidly removes iodine by solid phase extraction from reaction mixtures in which it ..
- Charcoal suspension for tumor labelling modifies macrophage activity in miceL Bonhomme-Faivre
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie, Service Pharmacie, Hopital Paul Brousse, Villejuif, France
Life Sci 66:817-27. 2000We have previously developed a charcoal suspension for injection into human breast cancers in order to facilitate their location during surgery...
- [Paraquat poisoning and hemoperfusion with activated charcoal]A M López Lago
Servicio de Medicina Intensiva, Hospital Clinico Universitario de Santiago de Compostela
An Med Interna 19:310-2. 2002..They were treated with with orogastric lavage, activated charcoal, N-acetylcysteine, Fuller's earth, cathartics, support measures and hemoperfusion with activated charcoal...
- Removal of trivalent chromium from tannery waste waters using bone charcoalS Dahbi
Unité de Recherche Electrochimie et Chimie de l Evironnement, Laboratoire de Chimie Physique Appliquée, Universite Hassan II Ain Chock, Faculte des Sciences, BP 5366, Maarif, Casablanca, Morocco
Anal Bioanal Chem 374:540-6. 2002The ability of bone charcoal to remove Cr(III) from aqueous solutions by adsorption has been investigated. The adsorbent used was first characterised and then the adsorption was studied as a function of time and amount of charcoal...
- Multidose activated charcoal for yellow oleander poisoningDavid N Juurlink
Lancet 362:581; author reply 581. 2003
- Effects of fasting on evaluation of gastrointestinal transit with charcoal mealS W Mittelstadt
Drug Safety Assessment, Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Miami Valley Innovation Center, Cincinnati, OH 45252, USA
J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 52:154-8. 2005At the present time, most studies investigating gastrointestinal transit time with charcoal are conducted in fasted rats...
- Tattooing breast cancers treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapyMarie Christine Mathieu
Department of Pathology, Institut Gustave Roussy, rue Camille Desmoulins, 94800 Villejuif, France
Ann Surg Oncol 14:2233-8. 2007..A well-tolerated, low-diffusion charcoal suspension has been designed to tattoo breast tumors...
- Suicide by charcoal burning in Taiwan: implications for means substitution by a case-linkage studyChian Jue Kuo
Department of General Psychiatry, Taipei City Psychiatric Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:286-90. 2008..This study estimated the incidence of suicide mortality among suicide attempters in Taiwan and assessed the extent of means substitution among subjects with a non-fatal attempt and a subsequent fatal attempt during the study period...
- Efficacy of hemodialysis and charcoal hemoperfusion in carbamazepine overdoseMaricel Pilapil
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 46:342-3. 2008
- Mild and efficient H/D exchange of alkanes based on C-H activation catalyzed by rhodium on charcoalTomohiro Maegawa
Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, 5 6 1 Mitahora higashi Gifu 502 8585, Japan
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 47:5394-7. 2008
- Sorption of native polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) to black carbon and amended activated carbon in soilRahel C Brändli
Department of Environmental Engineering, Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, Ulleval Stadion, Oslo, Norway
Chemosphere 73:1805-10. 2008....
- Sorption potential of impregnated charcoal for removal of heavy metals from phosphoric acidE A El-Sofany
Hot Laboratory Center, Atomic Energy Authority, Cairo, Egypt
J Hazard Mater 165:623-9. 2009The viability of some heavy ions removal from phosphoric acid solution by means of impregnated charcoal with triphenylphosphine sulphide extractant has been demonstrated in this work...
- Promethazine overdose: clinical effects, predicting delirium and the effect of charcoalC B Page
Department of Clinical Toxicology and Pharmacology, Calvary Mater Newcastle, NSW 2310, Australia
QJM 102:123-31. 2009..The aim of this study was to describe the clinical effects of promethazine in overdose and explore the relationship between delirium and possible predictor variables...
- Influence of activated charcoal amendment to contaminated soil on dieldrin and nutrient uptake by cucumbersIsabel Hilber
Research Institute of Organic Agriculture, Ackerstrasse, CH 5070 Frick, Switzerland
Environ Pollut 157:2224-30. 2009Activated charcoal (AC) amendments have been suggested as a promising, cost-effective method to immobilize organic contaminants in soil. We performed pot experiments over two years with cucumber (Cucumis sativus L...
- Craig A Elmets; Fiscal Year: 2014..This is especially true for polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), carcinogens that are present in cigarette smoke, charcoal broiled food, and were found in burning oilfields during the Persian Gulf War...
- Waterpipe tobacco smoke: toxicant exposure and effectsTHOMAS EVAN EISSENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2012..head" with sweetened and flavored tobacco, covers it with perforated aluminum foil, and tops the foil with lit charcoal. Charcoal and tobacco smoke pass to the user via a half-filled water bowl, hose, and mouthpiece...
- BLAIR JOHNSON WYLIE; Fiscal Year: 2016DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant) The majority of households in sub-Saharan Africa rely on solid biomass fuels (charcoal, wood, crop residues) for cooking...
- Bhagavatula Moorthy; Fiscal Year: 2015..by applicant): Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are present in cigarette smoke, particulate matter, and in charcoal broiled meats...
- Alan Shihadeh; Fiscal Year: 2015..shisha) has a hose, water bowl, body, and a "head" filled with sweetened and flavored tobacco that is heated with charcoal. WP tobacco smoking is increasing in the U.S., especially among college students...
- Standardization of Methods to Measure Waterpipie Smoke Emissions and ExposurePamela I Clark; Fiscal Year: 2012..of experienced WP smokers will smoke the standardized WP configuration, the standardized configuration with a charcoal filter, and the standardized configuration plus a bubble diffuser in random order...
- DEVELOPMENT OF A NOVEL BIOARTIFICIAL LIVERJacek Rozga; Fiscal Year: 2002..e., it should combine liver cell therapy and detoxification using sorbents (e.g., activated charcoal, exchange resin)...
- MDR1 IN HUMAN INTESTINEKenneth Lown; Fiscal Year: 1999..also test the effects of diet on intestinal mdr1 expression by placing healthy volunteers on diets containing charcoal broiled beef or, in collaboration with Paul Watkins, grapefruit juice (flavonoids)...
- S.T.R.A.P Sonos Transportable Renal Application ProductMartin Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2005..a zirconium oxide module, 4) Optimize removal of creatinine and other small to medium organics with an activated charcoal module, 5) Integrate these cartridges for 4 hours at 2L/hr of continuous removal of wastes from a model spent ..
- IMMUNOADSORBENTS FOR SPECIFIC IMMUNOTHERAPYDavid Terman; Fiscal Year: 1980..Canine glomerular basement membrane antigen (GBM) has been physically entrapped in a collodion-charcoal immunoadsorbent which has resulted in extraction of circulating GBM antibody and attenuation or arrest of ..
- HORMONAL CONTROL OF THE OVIDUCT AND UTERUSHAROLD VERHAGE; Fiscal Year: 1990..The steroid receptors will be quantitated using dextran coated charcoal and exchange assays. Morphological changes will be assessed by light and electron microscopy...
- PRODUCTION AND ABSORPTION OF INTESTINAL GASMichael Levitt; Fiscal Year: 1999..for the malodor of flatus, and if this condition can be treated via the ingestion of or external use of activated charcoal; 3) Determine if sulfur gas production in the colon can be assessed via measurements of sulfur gases excreted in ..
- REBREATHING ABSORBER TO SPEED EMERGENCE FROM ANESTHESIAJOSEPH ORR; Fiscal Year: 2005..The device contains activated charcoal that rapidly absorbs anesthetic vapor as it leaves the lungs to prevent it from being rebreathed...
- ANTIDOTES OF PHENCYCLIDINE TOXICITYPAUL CONSROE; Fiscal Year: 1980..Finally, we have preliminary evidence that activated charcoal can antidote the toxic lethal effects of PCP in rats and dogs, when each drug is given at about the same time by ..
- THE ROLE OF CARNOSINE IN OLFACTIONJoseph Harding; Fiscal Year: 1980..The techniques of Dextran coated charcoal extraction, ultrafiltration, affinity chromatography, gel filtration, two-dimensional isolectric focusing - ..
- VALIDATION OF CAFFEINE/METHACETIN 13C BREATH TESTSDavid Wagner; Fiscal Year: 1992..The effect of charcoal broiled beef and changes in protein/carbohydrate ratio on the hepatic metabolism of these substrates will be ..
- CYP1A1 AS A BIOMARKER OF EXPOSURE AND SUSCEPTIBILITYSeymour Garte; Fiscal Year: 1999..nasal epithelial cells, exfoliated bladder epithelial cells), of people exposed to cigarette smoke, creosote and charcoal broiled foods will be developed and validated...
- LIGHTER COMPACT RESPIRATORS FOR TOXIC VAPOR PROTECTIONClinton Brown; Fiscal Year: 1992..Preliminary studies indicate that substantial gains can be made relative to activated charcoal systems by use of an oscillatory flow system...
- MODULAR ANIMAL HOUSING UNITS FOR PRIMATE NURSEYDallas Hyde; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, these two buildings will be equipped with high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) and activated charcoal filters to permit necessary expansion of the infant asthma research program.
- FINE TUNING BINOLS AND BINAPS FOR ASYMMETRIC SYNTHESISBruce Lipshutz; Fiscal Year: 2001..From ligands of this type come further options, such as opportunities for polymer mounting, and potentially of greatest attention, conversion to substituted cyclo BINAPs. ..
- Metal-Mediated Routes to BiarylsBruce Lipshutz; Fiscal Year: 2007..A particular, albeit representative, application of a novel substituted cyclo-NOBIN will be studied for selected asymmetric aldol reactions. ..
- Pheresis Treatment of Bioterrorism-Induced SepsisStephen Ash; Fiscal Year: 2005..The safety systems of the existing PF system will be modified to meet the needs of the stand-alone system. Finally, an animal model of sepsis will be used to check efficacy and safety of the entire system. ..
- MethLock vs. heparin as dialysis catheter lockStephen Ash; Fiscal Year: 2008..In Phase II we will implement the protocol in a number of dialysis centers and complete the study as originally proposed or as modified after Phase I. ..
- ISEA 2004 ConferenceJunfeng Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Interferon and Raloxifene Effects on Cancer CellsCHERYL ROSENFELD; Fiscal Year: 2007..The University is in the process of developing a Comparative Oncology Program. The campus provides a rich mix of disciplines and a collaborative environment, in which Dr. Rosenfeld is expected to continue to thrive. ..
- GENOTOXICITY IN CYP1A2 DEFICIENT TRANSGENIC MICEDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..S. population. ..
- CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BASIS OF HIV BASED THROMBOCYTOPENMariusz Ratajczak; Fiscal Year: 2002..In toto, the studies proposed in this grant will increase the knowledge about pathogenesis of AIDS associated thrombocytopenia and may lead to development of new strategies for its treatment of prevention. (End of Abstract) ..
- AMD AND RISK FACTORS IN A HISPANIC POPULATIONSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2003..Such data will advance our understanding of the magnitude of AMD in this ethnic group, and the way in which risk factors relate to AMD in different populations. ..
- Pilot-scale Research of Novel Amendment Delivery for in-situ Sediment RemediationUpal Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2009..This field research will evaluate the effectiveness of a novel approach to alter the binding capacity of sediments to reduce human exposure to such contaminants. ..
- Molecular Genetics of Cadmium ToxicityDaniel W Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- PAHs: Balance of Detoxication vs Metabolic ActivationDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2009..dissemination of ingested BaP and will be informative in clinical studies in which we would determine which haplotypes of these three human genes might be associated with resistance vs. sensitivity to PAH-induced toxicity and cancer. ..
- Who drives safely? Visual/cognitive predictors in EldersSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study will provide critical data on the interactive role of vision, visual attention, and cognition in changing older persons driving behaviors, and the resulting effect on driver errors and risk of crashes. ..
- INTERVENTIONS FOR VISUAL LOSS IN NURSING HOME RESIDENTSSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2002..This trial will answer timely questions of the impact on the functional status of the most frail elderly of modest, potentially sustainable inputs into improving the appropriate utilization of eye care services. ..
- Columbia-GHI Consortium for Claims-Based Cancer StudiesSTEVEN STELLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Removal of Protein-Bound Solutes by DialysisTimothy Meyer; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed ancillary study to the FHN will provide a unique opportunity to relate protein-bound solute levels to other chemical parameters and indices of well-being in a large group of hemodialysis patients. ..
- Latino Eye Health: A Communication Strategy for DiabetesSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2007..Improvements in eye care seeking behaviors should help in avoiding visual loss from diabetic retinopathy and macula edema, the leading causes of visual loss in the working age Latino population. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cerebrovascular risk factors and late-life suicideSAU MAN CHAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..The correlation between clinical and radiopathological CVRFs as well as the relationship between burden of CVRFs and impaired ECFs will be worked out by correlation statistics. ..
- Angiogenesis in the Pulmonary MicrovasculatureDenis English; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Maximize RAS Blockade in Diabetic NephropathyTimothy Meyer; Fiscal Year: 2003..But the number of such trials which can be performed is limited. Short term trials, such as those described in this proposal, are urgently required to help identify treatment regimens which merit further, longer term study. ..
- Lipitor/Celebrex: effect on prostate cancer progressionXi Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2007..This combination of drugs may significantly improve the management of prostate cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 5-Year Survival Following Injury in Geriatric PatientsLaura Criddle; Fiscal Year: 2006..Contribution: This foundational study will provide basic information about the survival patterns of injured elders as a basis for the development of interventions to improve geriatric survival. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pediatric Transplant Infections and OutcomesVikas Dharnidharka; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Cataract: Health Disparity for Older African-AmericansSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will advance the goal of reducing health disparity in visual disability from cataract among older African Americans. ..
- Bound Solute DialysisJohn Patzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TRIAL OF ANTIBIOTICS TO REDUCE RECURRENT TRICHIASISSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Dermatopharmacokinetics: In Vivo Analysis of SolventsKarla Thrall; Fiscal Year: 2005..To evaluate the kinetics and dermal bioavailability of ethylbenzene, styrene, and toluene vapor using F344 rats. ..
- CYP1A1 GENE AND ENVIRONMENTAL TOXICITYDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Yearly Mass Treatment C. Trachomatis: When Can We Stop?Sheila West; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The CXCR4-SDF-1 Axis in Metastatic RhabdomyosarcomaMariusz Ratajczak; Fiscal Year: 2009..This work will be of relevance for designing strategies to block the SDF-1-CXCR4 axis to treat CXCR4-positive cancers. ..
- Mechanisms Progression in Renal InsufficiencyTimothy Meyer; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies, like those of endocytosis, will employ knockout mice to assess the importance of potential mediators of injury which are not yet subject to pharmacologic manipulation. ..
- Donor Kidney Gene Expression and Delayed Graft FunctionTimothy Meyer; Fiscal Year: 2004..Ultimately, better understanding of these mechanisms should provide a basis for treatment to prevent cadaver kidney injury and improve graft function. ..