Summary: Vaccines used to prevent POLIOMYELITIS. They include inactivated (POLIOVIRUS VACCINE, INACTIVATED) and oral vaccines (POLIOVIRUS VACCINE, ORAL).
- Racaniello V. One hundred years of poliovirus pathogenesis. Virology. 2006;344:9-16 pubmed..Nearly 50 years later, when two effective poliovirus vaccines were developed, the impetus to study poliovirus pathogenesis waned...
- Kapp C. Surge in polio spreads alarm in northern Nigeria. Rumours about vaccine safety in Muslim-run states threaten WHO's eradication programme. Lancet. 2003;362:1631-2 pubmed
- Zaman K, Sack D, Yunus M, Arifeen S, Podder G, Azim T, et al. Successful co-administration of a human rotavirus and oral poliovirus vaccines in Bangladeshi infants in a 2-dose schedule at 12 and 16 weeks of age. Vaccine. 2009;27:1333-9 pubmed publisher..No statistically significant differences were observed between groups for polio seroprotection rates. RIX4414 vaccine was immunogenic when co-administered with OPV and did not interfere with OPV seroprotection rates. ..
- Rakoto Andrianarivelo M, Gumede N, Jegouic S, Balanant J, Andriamamonjy S, Rabemanantsoa S, et al. Reemergence of recombinant vaccine-derived poliovirus outbreak in Madagascar. J Infect Dis. 2008;197:1427-35 pubmed publisher..The occurrence of an outbreak due to VDPV 3 years after a previous outbreak indicates that a short period with low vaccination coverage is enough to create favorable conditions for the emergence of VDPV in this setting. ..
- Diedrich S, Schreier E. [The German Health Interview and Examination Survey for Children and Adolescents (KiGGS): state of immunity against poliomyelitis in German children]. Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz. 2007;50:771-4 pubmed..The seroprevalence of antibodies against all three types of polioviruses indicates a very high level of population immunity in German children. It must be maintained through consequently performed vaccination programmes. ..
- Liang X, Zhang Y, Xu W, Wen N, Zuo S, Lee L, et al. An outbreak of poliomyelitis caused by type 1 vaccine-derived poliovirus in China. J Infect Dis. 2006;194:545-51 pubmed..This outbreak highlights the need to consider risks of paralysis from vaccine-derived strains in development of national poliomyelitis immunization policy. ..
- Kilpatrick D, Ching K, Iber J, Campagnoli R, Freeman C, Mishrik N, et al. Multiplex PCR method for identifying recombinant vaccine-related polioviruses. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:4313-5 pubmed..Six pairs of Sabin strain-specific recombinant primers were designed to permit rapid screening for VDPV recombinants by PCR. ..
- Mas Lago P, Gary H, Pérez L, Caceres V, Olivera J, Puentes R, et al. Poliovirus detection in wastewater and stools following an immunization campaign in Havana, Cuba. Int J Epidemiol. 2003;32:772-7 pubmed..Wastewater sampling under the conditions studied can be a sensitive supplement to AFP surveillance. Similar studies under different conditions are needed to determine the role of wastewater sampling in post-eradication surveillance. ..
- Rousset D, Rakoto Andrianarivelo M, Razafindratsimandresy R, Randriamanalina B, Guillot S, Balanant J, et al. Recombinant vaccine-derived poliovirus in Madagascar. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9:885-7 pubmed
- Wassilak S, Pate M, Wannemuehler K, Jenks J, Burns C, Chenoweth P, et al. Outbreak of type 2 vaccine-derived poliovirus in Nigeria: emergence and widespread circulation in an underimmunized population. J Infect Dis. 2011;203:898-909 pubmed publisher..Strengthened routine immunization programs in countries with suboptimal coverage and balanced use of OPV formulations in SIAs are necessary to minimize risks of VDPV emergence and circulation...
- Collett M, Neyts J, Modlin J. A case for developing antiviral drugs against polio. Antiviral Res. 2008;79:179-87 pubmed publisher..Given the timelines for eradication and those for drug development, the time for action is now. ..
- Thompson K, Tebbens R, Pallansch M, Kew O, Sutter R, Aylward R, et al. The risks, costs, and benefits of possible future global policies for managing polioviruses. Am J Public Health. 2008;98:1322-30 pubmed publisher..Until successful eradication and coordination of posteradication policies, health authorities should continue routine polio vaccination and supplemental immunization activities. ..
- Estivariz C, Watkins M, Handoko D, Rusipah R, Deshpande J, Rana B, et al. A large vaccine-derived poliovirus outbreak on Madura Island--Indonesia, 2005. J Infect Dis. 2008;197:347-54 pubmed publisher..Suboptimal surveillance and a limited initial immunization response may have contributed to widespread circulation. Sensitive surveillance and prompt high-quality immunization responses are recommended to prevent the spread of VDPVs. ..
- Pires de Miranda M, Carmo Gomes M, Rebelo de Andrade H. Seroprevalence of antibodies to poliovirus in individuals living in Portugal, 2002. Euro Surveill. 2007;12:E7-8 pubmed..For poliovirus type 3, the suboptimal antibody levels observed in teenagers and young adults suggest the need for a booster dose to minimise the risk of wild poliovirus importation. ..
- Chumakov K, Ehrenfeld E, Wimmer E, Agol V. Vaccination against polio should not be stopped. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2007;5:952-8 pubmed..It is crucially important that high levels of population immunity are maintained against polio in the foreseeable future. ..
- Lindner U, Blume S. Vaccine innovation and adoption: polio vaccines in the UK, the Netherlands and West Germany, 1955-1965. Med Hist. 2006;50:425-46 pubmed
- Blomqvist S, Savolainen Kopra C, Paananen A, El Bassioni L, El Maamoon Nasr E, Firstova L, et al. Recurrent isolation of poliovirus 3 strains with chimeric capsid protein Vp1 suggests a recombination hot-spot site in Vp1. Virus Res. 2010;151:246-51 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that there exists a PV3/PV2 recombination hot-spot site in the 3' partial region of the VP1 capsid protein and that the recombination may occur within weeks or a few months after the administration of OPV...
- Thu G, Hem L, Hansen S, Møller B, Norstein J, Nøkleby H, et al. Is there an association between SV40 contaminated polio vaccine and lymphoproliferative disorders? An age-period-cohort analysis on Norwegian data from 1953 to 1997. Int J Cancer. 2006;118:2035-9 pubmed..Thus, our data do not support the hypothesis of an association between the vaccine and any subgroup of lymphoproliferative diseases. ..
- Sutter R, Caceres V, Mas Lago P. The role of routine polio immunization in the post-certification era. Bull World Health Organ. 2004;82:31-9 pubmed..This report reviews the key issues associated with each scenario, highlights the advantages and disadvantages of each scenario, and outlines the major challenges for policy decision-making. ..
- Engels E, Katki H, Nielsen N, Winther J, Hjalgrim H, Gjerris F, et al. Cancer incidence in Denmark following exposure to poliovirus vaccine contaminated with simian virus 40. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003;95:532-9 pubmedEarly poliovirus vaccines were accidentally contaminated with simian virus 40 (SV40). In Denmark, poliovirus vaccine was administered to most children from 1955 through 1961...
- Ivanov A, Dragunsky E. ELISA as a possible alternative to the neutralization test for evaluating the immune response to poliovirus vaccines. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2005;4:167-72 pubmed
- Alexander J, Ehresmann K, Seward J, Wax G, Harriman K, Fuller S, et al. Transmission of imported vaccine-derived poliovirus in an undervaccinated community in Minnesota. J Infect Dis. 2009;199:391-7 pubmed publisher..Continued vigilance is needed in all countries to identify poliovirus infections in communities at high risk of poliovirus transmission. ..
- Vinje J, Gregoricus N, Martin J, Gary H, Caceres V, Venczel L, et al. Isolation and characterization of circulating type 1 vaccine-derived poliovirus from sewage and stream waters in Hispaniola. J Infect Dis. 2004;189:1168-75 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate a useful role for environmental surveillance of neurovirulent polioviruses in the overall polio eradication program. ..
- Khan M, Ehreth J. Costs and benefits of polio eradication: a long-run global perspective. Vaccine. 2003;21:702-5 pubmed..In addition to the cost savings, the program will prevent 855000 deaths, 4 million paralysis cases and 40 million disability adjusted life years (DALYs) over the years 1970-2050. ..
- Theeten H, Rümke H, Hoppener F, Vilatimó R, Narejos S, Van Damme P, et al. Primary vaccination of adults with reduced antigen-content diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis or dTpa-inactivated poliovirus vaccines compared to diphtheria-tetanus-toxoid vaccines. Curr Med Res Opin. 2007;23:2729-39 pubmed..Combinations of dTpa or dTpa-IPV can be used to replace Td and provide booster vaccination against pertussis and polio simultaneously with diphtheria and tetanus, even in situations where the primary vaccination history is unknown. ..
- Beytout J, Denis F, Giet R, Allaert F. [Regional variations of adult population vaccinal status]. Med Mal Infect. 2004;34:460-8 pubmed..These results show insufficient vaccination coverage against diphtheria, tetanus, and poliomyelitis in all regions and show other important variations in vaccination coverage between regions, especially for hepatitis A and B. ..
- . Laboratory surveillance for wild and vaccine-derived polioviruses, January 2007-June 2008. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2008;83:321-8 pubmed
- Grassly N, Wenger J, Durrani S, Bahl S, Deshpande J, Sutter R, et al. Protective efficacy of a monovalent oral type 1 poliovirus vaccine: a case-control study. Lancet. 2007;369:1356-62 pubmed..A high-potency monovalent oral type 1 poliovirus vaccine (mOPV1) was developed in 2005 to tackle persistent poliovirus transmission in the last remaining infected countries. Our aim was to assess the efficacy of this vaccine in India...
- Bermal N, Szenborn L, Chrobot A, Alberto E, Lommel P, Gatchalian S, et al. The 10-valent pneumococcal non-typeable Haemophilus influenzae protein D conjugate vaccine (PHiD-CV) coadministered with DTPw-HBV/Hib and poliovirus vaccines: assessment of immunogenicity. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2009;28:S89-96 pubmed publisher..PHiD-CV was immunogenic against each of the 10 pneumococcal vaccine serotypes when coadministered with DTPw-HBV/Hib and poliovirus vaccines.
- Sathyamala C, Mittal O, Dasgupta R, Priya R. Polio eradication initiative in India: deconstructing the GPEI. Int J Health Serv. 2005;35:361-83 pubmed..They conclude that the GPEI is yet another exercise in mismanaging the health priorities and programs in developing countries in the era of globalization. ..
- Zhang Y, Wang H, Zhu S, Li Y, Song L, Liu Y, et al. Characterization of a rare natural intertypic type 2/type 3 penta-recombinant vaccine-derived poliovirus isolated from a child with acute flaccid paralysis. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:421-9 pubmed publisher..This is the first report on the isolation of a type 2/type 3 poliovirus capsid recombinant with one of the five crossover sites located in the VP1 coding region...
- Strickler H, Goedert J, Devesa S, Lahey J, Fraumeni J, Rosenberg P. Trends in U.S. pleural mesothelioma incidence rates following simian virus 40 contamination of early poliovirus vaccines. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003;95:38-45 pubmedb>Poliovirus vaccines that were used during the late 1950s and early 1960s were contaminated with simian virus 40 (SV40), a monkey virus that is tumorigenic in rodents...
- Pavlov D, Van Zyl W, Kruger M, Blignaut L, Grabow W, Ehlers M. Poliovirus vaccine strains detected in stool specimens of immunodeficient children in South Africa. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2006;54:23-30 pubmed..Therefore, the information obtained in this study would be essential for strategies aimed at the protection of both immunodeficient as well as immunocompetent individuals against complications of vaccination with OPV. ..
- Wringe A, Fine P, Sutter R, Kew O. Estimating the extent of vaccine-derived poliovirus infection. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3433 pubmed publisher..These methods for inferring extent of infection will be useful in the context of identifying future surveillance needs, planning for OPV cessation and preparing outbreak response plans. ..
- Carter J, Madeleine M, Wipf G, Garcea R, Pipkin P, Minor P, et al. Lack of serologic evidence for prevalent simian virus 40 infection in humans. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003;95:1522-30 pubmedPropagation of poliovirus in monkey kidney cells led to the inadvertent contamination of poliovirus vaccines with simian virus 40 (SV40) between 1955 and 1963...
- Thompson K, Tebbens R. Eradication versus control for poliomyelitis: an economic analysis. Lancet. 2007;369:1363-71 pubmed
- Furesz J. Developments in the production and quality control of poliovirus vaccines -- historical perspectives. Biologicals. 2006;34:87-90 pubmed..By 1959 several candidate live oral poliovirus vaccines (OPV) had been developed...
- Hennessey K, Lago H, Diomande F, Akoua Koffi C, Caceres V, Pallansch M, et al. Poliovirus vaccine shedding among persons with HIV in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire. J Infect Dis. 2005;192:2124-8 pubmed
- Oostvogel P, Rumke H, Conyn van Spaendonck M, van der Avoort H, Leeuwenburg J, van Loon A. Poliovirus circulation among schoolchildren during the early phase of the 1992-1993 poliomyelitis outbreak in The Netherlands. J Infect Dis. 2001;184:1451-5 pubmed..No evidence of vaccination was seen in 25.5%-43.1% of children at OR schools. Seroprevalence of antibodies against the 3 types of poliovirus suggested that no poliovirus circulation had occurred between the 1978 and 1992-1993 outbreaks. ..
- Conyn van Spaendonck M, de Melker H, Abbink F, Elzinga Gholizadea N, Kimman T, van Loon T. Immunity to poliomyelitis in The Netherlands. Am J Epidemiol. 2001;153:207-14 pubmed
- Priftakis P, Bogdanovic G, Hjerpe A, Dalianis T. Presence of simian virus 40 (SV40) is not frequent in Swedish malignant mesotheliomas. Anticancer Res. 2002;22:1357-60 pubmed..SV40 could be confirmed by sequencing in only 3 of the 30 MM samples containing DNA that could be amplified by PCR. The presence of SV40 is not frequent in Swedish MM patients. ..
- Martin J, Minor P. Characterization of CHAT and Cox type 1 live-attenuated poliovirus vaccine strains. J Virol. 2002;76:5339-49 pubmed..The molecular mechanisms of attenuation and evolution of poliovirus in humans are discussed in the context of the global polio eradication initiative. ..
- Diedrich S, Claus H, Schreier E. Immunity status against poliomyelitis in Germany: determination of cut-off values in International Units. BMC Infect Dis. 2002;2:2 pubmed..6% of samples, respectively. Overall, this seroprevalence indicates a very high level of immunity of the general population. It must be kept after the switch of immunization strategy from attenuated to inactivated vaccine in Germany. ..
- Reuther F, Lohler J, Herms J, Hugo H, Schindler C, Leithäuser F, et al. Low incidence of SV40-like sequences in ependymal tumours. J Pathol. 2001;195:580-5 pubmedBetween 1955 and 1963, millions of children and adults were exposed to SV40-contaminated poliovirus vaccines. The oncogenic potential of this polyomavirus was revealed when intracerebral inoculation of SV40 into newborn hamsters resulted ..
- Zimmerman R, Nowalk M, Mieczkowski T, Mainzer H, Jewell I, Raymund M. The vaccines for children program. Policies, satisfaction, and vaccine delivery. Am J Prev Med. 2001;21:243-9 pubmed..The VFC appears to increase the numbers of poor and uninsured children who receive necessary childhood immunizations within their medical homes. Providers are generally satisfied with the program. ..
- Diedrich S, Claus H, Thierfelder W, Bellach B, Schreier E. [German Health survey 1997/98: immune status against poliomyelitis]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2000;125:584-8 pubmed..It must be kept after the switch of immunization strategy from attenuated to inactivated vaccine in Germany (OPV to IPV). ..
- Martin J, Ferguson G, Wood D, Minor P. The vaccine origin of the 1968 epidemic of type 3 poliomyelitis in Poland. Virology. 2000;278:42-9 pubmed..These findings may provide essential insights into the strategies for stopping polio immunisation once wild poliovirus has been eradicated. ..
- Shah N, John T, Thacker N, Vashishtha V, Kalra A, Ugra D. Polio eradication strategies in Indian recommendations under IAP Action Plan 2006. Indian Pediatr. 2006;43:1057-63 pubmed
- Baylis S, Shah N, Jenkins A, Berry N, Minor P. Simian cytomegalovirus and contamination of oral poliovirus vaccines. Biologicals. 2003;31:63-73 pubmed..One poliovirus vaccine and one seed, propagated on rhesus macaque kidney cultures were found to be positive for the rhesus monkey CMV by PCR. ..
- Andre M, Wolff C, Tangermann R, Chenoweth P, Tallis G, Kamgang J, et al. Assessing and mitigating the risks for polio outbreaks in polio-free countries - Africa, 2013-2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:756-61 pubmed..Although substantial progress toward polio eradication has occurred in Nigeria, all African countries remain at risk for outbreaks as long as WPV continues to circulate anywhere on the continent. ..