biological control agents
Summary: Organisms, biological agents, or biologically-derived agents used strategically for their positive or adverse effect on the physiology and/or reproductive health of other organisms.
- Vatanparast M, Kim Y. Optimization of recombinant bacteria expressing dsRNA to enhance insecticidal activity against a lepidopteran insect, Spodoptera exigua. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183054 pubmed publisher..Moreover, targeting young larvae possessing weak RNase activity in the midgut lumen significantly enhanced RNAi efficiency and subsequent insecticidal activity against S. exigua. ..
- Aybeke M. Fusarium infection causes genotoxic disorders and antioxidant-based damages in Orobanche spp. Microbiol Res. 2017;201:46-51 pubmed publisher..The results of this study can be a ground for further research on reducing the toxic effects of Fusarium on agricultural products, so that advancements in bio-herbicide technology may provide a sustainable agricultural production. ..
- Schmidt T, Barton N, Rasic G, Turley A, Montgomery B, Iturbe Ormaetxe I, et al. Local introduction and heterogeneous spatial spread of dengue-suppressing Wolbachia through an urban population of Aedes aegypti. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2001894 pubmed publisher..The persistence and spread of Wolbachia in release areas meeting minimum area requirements indicates the promise of successful large-scale population transformation. ..
- Siahmoshteh F, Siciliano I, Banani H, Hamidi Esfahani Z, Razzaghi Abyaneh M, Gullino M, et al. Efficacy of Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus amyloliquefaciens in the control of Aspergillus parasiticus growth and aflatoxins production on pistachio. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;254:47-53 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results indicate that Bacillus species could be considered as potential biocontrol agents to combat toxigenic fungal growth and subsequent aflatoxin contamination of nuts and agricultural crops in practice. ..
- Guijarro B, Larena I, Melgarejo P, De Cal A. Adaptive conditions and safety of the application of Penicillium frequentans as a biocontrol agent on stone fruit. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;254:25-35 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, from an ecological point of view, Pf909 would establish and survive actively over a broad range of climatic conditions. The probability of risks to human and animal health is considered very low. ..
- Gross M. New directions in crop protection. Curr Biol. 2011;21:R641-3 pubmed
- Jaaffar A, Parejko J, Paulitz T, Weller D, Thomashow L. Sensitivity of Rhizoctonia Isolates to Phenazine-1-Carboxylic Acid and Biological Control by Phenazine-Producing Pseudomonas spp. Phytopathology. 2017;107:692-703 pubmed publisher..to PCA develops in nature upon exposure to Phz+ pseudomonads. ..
- Slimane B, Ezzine O, Dhahri S, Ben Jamaa M. Essential oils from two Eucalyptus from Tunisia and their insecticidal action on Orgyia trigotephras (Lepidotera, Lymantriidae). Biol Res. 2014;47:29 pubmed..High toxic properties make these plant-derived compounds suitable for incorporation in integrated pest management programs. ..
- Mc Namara L, Carolan J, Griffin C, Fitzpatrick D, Kavanagh K. The effect of entomopathogenic fungal culture filtrate on the immune response of the greater wax moth, Galleria mellonella. J Insect Physiol. 2017;100:82-92 pubmed publisher..Additionally EPF represent a valuable resource pool in our search for natural products with insect immunomodulatory and biocontrol properties. ..
- Strydom M, Veldtman R, Ngwenya M, Esler K. Invasive Australian Acacia seed banks: Size and relationship with stem diameter in the presence of gall-forming biological control agents. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181763 pubmed publisher..In response South Africa has had a strong focus on employing seed reducing biological control agents to deal with Australian Acacia invasion, a programme that is considered as being successful...
- Gulla S, Rønneseth A, Sørum H, Vågnes Ø, Balboa S, Romalde J, et al. Vibrio tapetis from wrasse used for ectoparasite bio-control in salmon farming: phylogenetic analysis and serotyping. Dis Aquat Organ. 2017;125:189-197 pubmed publisher..A pilot challenge trial using serotypes O3, O4 and O5 did not indicate high pathogenicity towards ballan wrasse Labrus bergylta, thus questioning the role of V. tapetis as a primary pathogen of this fish species. ..
- Wu Q, Sun R, Ni M, Yu J, Li Y, Yu C, et al. Identification of a novel fungus, Trichoderma asperellum GDFS1009, and comprehensive evaluation of its biocontrol efficacy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179957 pubmed publisher..Future studies should focus on these antimicrobial metabolites for facilitating widespread application in the field of agricultural bio-control. ..
- Lazazzara V, Perazzolli M, Pertot I, Biasioli F, Puopolo G, Cappellin L. Growth media affect the volatilome and antimicrobial activity against Phytophthora infestans in four Lysobacter type strains. Microbiol Res. 2017;201:52-62 pubmed publisher..Thus nutrient availability under soil conditions could affect the aggressiveness of Lysobacter spp. and possibly optimise interactions of these bacterial species with the other soil inhabitants. ..
- Jiggins F. The spread of Wolbachia through mosquito populations. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002780 pubmed publisher..This remarkable field experiment has both validated theoretical models of Wolbachia population dynamics and demonstrated that this is a viable strategy to modify mosquito populations. ..
- Baffoni L, Gaggia F, Garofolo G, Di Serafino G, Buglione E, Di Giannatale E, et al. Evidence of Campylobacter jejuni reduction in broilers with early synbiotic administration. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;251:41-47 pubmed publisher..Experimental results demonstrate that the synbiotic approach at farm level can be an effective strategy, combined with biosecurity measures, to improve the safety of poultry meat. ..
- Jouzani G, Valijanian E, Sharafi R. Bacillus thuringiensis: a successful insecticide with new environmental features and tidings. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2017;101:2691-2711 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the review thoroughly describes the new features of Bt which make it a suitable cell factory that might be used for production of different novel valuable bioproducts. ..
- Papanastasiou S, Bali E, Ioannou C, Papachristos D, Zarpas K, Papadopoulos N. Toxic and hormetic-like effects of three components of citrus essential oils on adult Mediterranean fruit flies (Ceratitis capitata). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177837 pubmed publisher..A hormetic-like effect of limonene to adult medflies and its possible underlying mechanisms are discussed. ..
- Endersen L, Buttimer C, Nevin E, Coffey A, Neve H, Oliveira H, et al. Investigating the biocontrol and anti-biofilm potential of a three phage cocktail against Cronobacter sakazakii in different brands of infant formula. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;253:1-11 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the potential application of this phage preparation for biocontrol of C. sakazakii contamination in reconstituted infant formula and also as a preventative agent against biofilm formation. ..
- Raio A, Reveglia P, Puopolo G, Cimmino A, Danti R, Evidente A. Involvement of phenazine-1-carboxylic acid in the interaction between Pseudomonas chlororaphis subsp. aureofaciens strain M71 and Seiridium cardinale in vivo. Microbiol Res. 2017;199:49-56 pubmed publisher..All these data support that the biological control of S. cardinale achieved by the application of P. chlororaphis subsp. aureofaciens M71 relies mainly on the ability of the bacterial strain to produce PCA in planta. ..
- Qian G, Xu F, Venturi V, Du L, Liu F. Roles of a solo LuxR in the biological control agent Lysobacter enzymogenes strain OH11. Phytopathology. 2014;104:224-31 pubmed publisher..Overall, our study provides the first example of the roles and mechanisms of a solo LuxR protein in a plant-associated L. enzymogenes. ..
- Fan H, Ru J, Zhang Y, Wang Q, Li Y. Fengycin produced by Bacillus subtilis 9407 plays a major role in the biocontrol of apple ring rot disease. Microbiol Res. 2017;199:89-97 pubmed publisher..This is the first report on the use of a B. subtilis strain as a potential biological control agent to control apple ring rot disease by the production of fengycin. ..
- Pikart T, Costa V, Hansson C, Cristo S, Vitorino M. A survey for potential biological control agents of <i>Pereskia</i> <i>aculeata</i> Miller (Cactaceae) in Brazil reveals two new species of <i>Horismenus</i> Walker (Hymenoptera: Eulophidae). Zootaxa. 2017;4272:430-438 pubmed publisher..The two new Horismenus species are described, diagnosed, and compared to H. steirastomae. ..
- Han B, Zhang S, Zeng F, Mao J. Nutritional and reproductive signaling revealed by comparative gene expression analysis in Chrysopa pallens (Rambur) at different nutritional statuses. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180373 pubmed publisher..Our study yielded large-scale molecular information relevant to C. pallens nutritional and reproductive signaling, which will contribute to mass rearing and commercial use of this predaceous insect species. ..
- Liu K, Newman M, McInroy J, Hu C, Kloepper J. Selection and Assessment of Plant Growth-Promoting Rhizobacteria for Biological Control of Multiple Plant Diseases. Phytopathology. 2017;107:928-936 pubmed publisher..g., bacillibactin, bacilysin, and microcin, were detected in each strain. In conclusion, selected individual PGPR strains showed broad-spectrum biocontrol activity to multiple plant diseases. ..
- Holderman C, Wood L, Geden C, Kaufman P. Discovery, Development, and Evaluation of a Horn Fly-Isolated (Diptera: Muscidae) Beauveria bassiana (Hypocreales: Cordyciptaceae) Strain From Florida, USA. J Insect Sci. 2017;17: pubmed publisher..Although further development is needed to improve fungal efficacy, this fungal strain holds promise as a biological control agent for inclusion in horn fly integrated pest management programs. ..
- Berg G, Köberl M, Rybakova D, Müller H, Grosch R, Smalla K. Plant microbial diversity is suggested as the key to future biocontrol and health trends. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2017;93: pubmed publisher..The analysis of plant microbiome data has brought about a paradigm shift in our understanding of its role in health and disease and has substantial consequences for biocontrol and health issues. ..