Summary: Complex pharmaceutical substances, preparations, or matter derived from organisms usually obtained by biological methods or assay.
- Sagar S, Esau L, Hikmawan T, Antunes A, Holtermann K, Stingl U, et al. Cytotoxic and apoptotic evaluations of marine bacteria isolated from brine-seawater interface of the Red Sea. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013;13:29 pubmed publisher..e. biological differences in cell lines and different mechanisms of action of programmed cell death prevalent in different cancer cell lines. ..
- Almaliti J, Nada S, Carter B, Shah Z, Tillekeratne L. Natural products inspired synthesis of neuroprotective agents against H?O?-induced cell death. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2013;23:1232-7 pubmed publisher..The compounds were also found to enhance and modulate Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase activity of PC12 cells, which may suggest that the observed neuroprotective activity is mediated, at least partly, through interaction with Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase. ..
- Comar M, Delbue S, Lepore L, Martelossi S, Radillo O, Ronfani L, et al. Latent viral infections in young patients with inflammatory diseases treated with biological agents: prevalence of JC virus genotype 2. J Med Virol. 2013;85:716-22 pubmed publisher..Conversely, increased susceptibility to herpesviruses infection was not shown. Future studies are warranted to investigate the effects of JCV reactivation on the health of young patients treated with infliximab...
- Caruso M, Crisafulli E, Demma S, Holgate S, Polosa R. Disabling inflammatory pathways with biologics and resulting clinical outcomes in severe asthma. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2013;13:393-402 pubmed publisher..However, pharmacoeconomic concerns should also be taken into account given the elevated acquisition costs of recombinant human monoclonals and of the diagnostic screening procedures for the identification of potential responders. ..
- Guasch L, Sala E, Castell Auví A, Cedó L, Liedl K, Wolber G, et al. Identification of PPARgamma partial agonists of natural origin (I): development of a virtual screening procedure and in vitro validation. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50816 pubmed publisher..We have demonstrated that our virtual screening protocol was successful in identifying novel scaffolds for PPAR? partial agonists. ..
- Vincent F, Morand E, Murphy K, Mackay F, Mariette X, Marcelli C. Antidrug antibodies (ADAb) to tumour necrosis factor (TNF)-specific neutralising agents in chronic inflammatory diseases: a real issue, a clinical perspective. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013;72:165-78 pubmed publisher..Such an approach could improve chronic inflammatory disease management toward a personalized and more cost-effective approach. ..
- Wolfson M, Wu J, Hubert T, Gregory T, Mazela J, Shaffer T. Lucinactant attenuates pulmonary inflammatory response, preserves lung structure, and improves physiologic outcomes in a preterm lamb model of RDS. Pediatr Res. 2012;72:375-83 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that early intervention with lucinactant may more effectively mitigate pulmonary pathophysiological sequelae of RDS than the animal-derived surfactants poractant alfa or beractant. ..
- Peck S, Gao J, van der Donk W. Discovery and biosynthesis of phosphonate and phosphinate natural products. Methods Enzymol. 2012;516:101-23 pubmed publisher..This chapter focuses on current knowledge of these biosynthetic pathways as well as tools for phosphonate discovery. ..
- Yongye A, Waddell J, Medina Franco J. Molecular scaffold analysis of natural products databases in the public domain. Chem Biol Drug Des. 2012;80:717-24 pubmed publisher..The results of this work have direct implications in the computational and experimental screening of natural product databases for drug discovery. ..
- Xiong Z, Wang Y. Draft genome sequence of marine-derived Streptomyces sp. strain AA0539, isolated from the Yellow Sea, China. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:6622-3 pubmed publisher..Its small genome (?5.8 Mb) contains large, unique genes and gene clusters for diverse secondary metabolites, suggesting great potential as a source for the discovery of novel natural products. ..
- Davies J. Specialized microbial metabolites: functions and origins. J Antibiot (Tokyo). 2013;66:361-4 pubmed publisher..This discourse attempts to redirect enquiry into the natural roles of these molecules and the ways in which they regulate microbial populations. ..
- Horak P, Skácelová M, Hejduk K, Smrzova A, Pavelka K. Abatacept and its use in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in the Czech Republic-data from the ATTRA registry. Clin Rheumatol. 2013;32:1451-8 pubmed publisher..Just one non-serious allergic reaction was reported. Data from the ATTRA registry confirms a good overall efficacy and safety profile and a very good on drug survival with abatacept. ..
- Schwartz B, Matoušová E, White R, Banwell M, Willis A. A chemoenzymatic total synthesis of the protoilludane aryl ester (+)-armillarivin. Org Lett. 2013;15:1934-7 pubmed publisher..2.2]oct-4-en-1-one 20 derived from the cycloadduct 4. ..
- Evans P, Inglesby P, Kilbride K. A concise total synthesis of pyrovellerolactone using a rhodium-catalyzed [(3 + 2) + 2] carbocyclization reaction. Org Lett. 2013;15:1798-801 pubmed publisher..This represents the first example of a higher-order [3 + 2 + 2] carbocyclization reaction in total synthesis, which is likely to provide an important strategy for the construction of related targets within this sesquiterpene family...
- Tebbets B, Yu Z, Stewart D, Zhao L, Jiang Y, Xu L, et al. Identification of antifungal natural products via Saccharomyces cerevisiae bioassay: insights into macrotetrolide drug spectrum, potency and mode of action. Med Mycol. 2013;51:280-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, this simple, high-throughput bioassay permitted us to screen microbial extracts, identify natural products as antifungal drugs, and expand our understanding of the activity of macrotetrolides. ..
- Lane A, Nam S, Fukuda T, Yamanaka K, Kauffman C, Jensen P, et al. Structures and comparative characterization of biosynthetic gene clusters for cyanosporasides, enediyne-derived natural products from marine actinomycetes. J Am Chem Soc. 2013;135:4171-4 pubmed publisher..This study provides new opportunities for bioengineering of enediyne derivatives and expands the structural diversity afforded by enediyne gene clusters. ..
- Guasch L, Ojeda M, González Abuín N, Sala E, Cereto Massagué A, Mulero M, et al. Identification of novel human dipeptidyl peptidase-IV inhibitors of natural origin (part I): virtual screening and activity assays. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44971 pubmed publisher..We have demonstrated that our virtual-screening protocol was successful in identifying novel lead compounds for developing more potent DPP-IV inhibitors. ..
- Bonney K, Braddock D. A unifying stereochemical analysis for the formation of halogenated C15-acetogenin medium-ring ethers from Laurencia species via intramolecular bromonium ion assisted epoxide ring-opening and experimental corroboration with a model epoxide. J Org Chem. 2012;77:9574-84 pubmed publisher..Experimentally, a model epoxide corroborates the feasibility of this process for concurrent formation of 7-, 8- and 9-ring ethers corresponding to the halogenated medium-ring ethers of known metabolites from Laurencia species...
- Kanmaz H, Erdeve O, Canpolat F, Mutlu B, Dilmen U. Surfactant administration via thin catheter during spontaneous breathing: randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics. 2013;131:e502-9 pubmed publisher..It significantly reduces both the need and duration of MV, and thus the bronchopulmonary dysplasia rate in preterm infants. ..
- Guasch L, Sala E, Ojeda M, Valls C, Bladé C, Mulero M, et al. Identification of novel human dipeptidyl peptidase-IV inhibitors of natural origin (Part II): in silico prediction in antidiabetic extracts. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44972 pubmed publisher..Moreover, none of the 18 molecules exhibits chemical similarity with a large group of known DPP-IV inhibitors. ..
- Raposo M, de Morais R, Bernardo de Morais A. Bioactivity and applications of sulphated polysaccharides from marine microalgae. Mar Drugs. 2013;11:233-52 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the great potentials of sPS from marine microalgae to be used as nutraceuticals, therapeutic agents, cosmetics, or in other areas, such as engineering, are approached in this review. ..
- Blunt J, Copp B, Keyzers R, Munro M, Prinsep M. Marine natural products. Nat Prod Rep. 2013;30:237-323 pubmed publisher..Biosynthetic studies, first syntheses, and syntheses that lead to the revision of structures or stereochemistries, have been included...
- Wollenhaupt J, Albrecht K, Kruger K, Müller Ladner U. The new 2012 German recommendations for treating rheumatoid arthritis : differences compared to the European standpoint. Z Rheumatol. 2013;72:6-9 pubmed publisher..The guidelines also include a treatment algorithm for sequential therapy of RA with disease-modifying agents including biologics. ..
- Rustin M. Long-term safety of biologics in the treatment of moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis: review of current data. Br J Dermatol. 2012;167 Suppl 3:3-11 pubmed publisher..S. markets due to long-term safety concerns, these biologics are generally well tolerated in long-term studies, and offer a viable alternative to conventional non-biologic agents in patients with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis. ..
- Yeh T, Wang S, Dai C, Duh C. Briacavatolides A-C, new briaranes from the Taiwanese octocoral Briareum excavatum. Mar Drugs. 2012;10:1019-26 pubmed publisher..The structures of these compounds were elucidated by extensive NMR spectroscopic analysis and physical data. The anti-HCMV (human cytomegalovirus) activity of 1-5 and their cytotoxicity against selected cancer cell lines were evaluated...
- Gerke J, Bayram Ö, Feussner K, Landesfeind M, Shelest E, Feussner I, et al. Breaking the silence: protein stabilization uncovers silenced biosynthetic gene clusters in the fungus Aspergillus nidulans. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:8234-44 pubmed publisher..The csnE/CSN5 gene is highly conserved in fungi, and therefore, the deletion is a feasible approach for the identification of new SMs. ..
- Ahmed F, Ishibashi M. Bio-active Natural Products with TRAIL-Resistance Overcoming Activity. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2016;64:119-27 pubmed publisher..This review describes our recent studies on the isolation of bioactive compounds with TRAIL-resistance overcoming activity. ..
- Braithwaite G, Daley M, Toledo Velasquez D. Rheological and molecular weight comparisons of approved hyaluronic acid products - preliminary standards for establishing class III medical device equivalence. J Biomater Sci Polym Ed. 2016;27:235-46 pubmed publisher..Recently, the first biosimilar, or 'generic biologic', was approved. Biosimilars are biological products that are approved by the FDA because they are 'highly similar' to a reference product, and have been shown ..
- Shin J, Peng L, Kang K, Choi Y. Direct analysis of prostaglandin-E2 and -D2 produced in an inflammatory cell reaction and its application for activity screening and potency evaluation using turbulent flow chromatography liquid chromatography-high resolution mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 2016;1463:128-35 pubmed publisher
- Sharma R, Singh V, Singh D, Yusuf F, Kumar A, Vishwakarma R, et al. Optimization of nonribosomal peptides production by a psychrotrophic fungus: Trichoderma velutinum ACR-P1. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016;100:9091-9102 pubmed..0 at 25 °C. Complexities of natural mixtures were thus considerably reduced under respective optimized culture conditions accelerating the production of novel microbial natural products by saving time and resources. ..
- Prusov E. Natural Product-Based Antibiotics: Synthesis and SAR-Studies. Curr Pharm Des. 2016;22:1730-55 pubmed..In this review, we summarized some selected examples of recent advances in the area of natural product based antibiotic development with particular emphasis on the synthetic and SAR-elucidation aspects. ..
- Salomon S, Guignant C, Morel P, Flahaut G, Brault C, Gourguechon C, et al. Th17 and CD24hiCD27+ regulatory B lymphocytes are biomarkers of response to biologics in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017;19:33 pubmed publisher..048). Altogether, these data, although preliminary, suggest that phenotyping of T and B cells has potential value for the stratification of biologic drugs, notably with respect to choosing between abatacept and anti-cytokine blockade. ..
- Sun M, Yang Y, Meng W, Xu Q, Lin F, Chen Y, et al. Advanced biotherapy for the treatment of sulfur mustard poisoning. Chem Biol Interact. 2018;286:111-118 pubmed publisher..In recent years, various biological products and cell transplantation in the treatment of SM poisoning offered a significant clinical treatment progress...
- Guo B, Bian Z, Qiu H, Wang Y, Wang Y. Biological and clinical implications of herbal medicine and natural products for the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2017;1401:37-48 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the major factors involved in the pathogenesis of IBD and the current development of natural products and herbs for the treatment of IBD. ..
- Yu C, Simmons B, Singer S, Thelen M, VanderGheynst J. Ionic liquid-tolerant microorganisms and microbial communities for lignocellulose conversion to bioproducts. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016;100:10237-10249 pubmed..Research in these areas will yield new approaches to overcome inhibition in lignocellulosic biomass bioconversion processes and increase opportunities for the use of ILs in biomass pretreatment. ..
- Panahi Y, Saadat A, Shadboorestan A, Ahmadi A. An Updated Review of Natural Products Intended to Prevent or Treat Oral Mucositis in Patients Undergoing Radio-Chemotherapy. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2016;17:949-61 pubmed..This comprehensive review aims to provide updated information concerning the natural agents that are effective against mucositis in cancer patients receiving radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy. ..
- Lee H, Lee J. Target identification for biologically active small molecules using chemical biology approaches. Arch Pharm Res. 2016;39:1193-201 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss current procedures for target identification. We also review the most recent target identification approaches and present several examples that illustrate advanced target identification technology. ..
- Santos J, Kondo M, Freitas R, Dos Santos M, Ramalho T, Assis D, et al. The natural flavone fukugetin as a mixed-type inhibitor for human tissue kallikreins. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2016;26:1485-9 pubmed publisher..This type of inhibitor is gaining importance today, especially for the development of exosite-type inhibitors, which present potential to selectively inhibit the enzyme activity only against specific substrate. ..
- Knezevic I, Griffiths E. WHO standards for biotherapeutics, including biosimilars: an example of the evaluation of complex biological products. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2017;1407:5-16 pubmed publisherThe most advanced regulatory processes for complex biological products have been put in place in many countries to provide appropriate regulatory oversight of biotherapeutic products in general, and similar biotherapeutics in particular...
- Das M, Mondal A, Patowary K, Malipeddi H. Biosynthesis of AgNPs using aqueous leaf extract of Ipomoea eriocarpa and their anti-inflammatory effect on carrageenan-induced paw edema in male Wistar rats. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2017;11:225-229 pubmed publisher..05) anti-edemic effect and inhibition was observed from the first hour (21.31?±?1.34) until the sixth hour (52.67?±?1.41), when the inhibitory effect was greatest and superior to the aqueous extract and the standard, diclofenac. ..
- Guadix J, Zugaza J, GÃ¡lvez MartÃn P. Characteristics, applications and prospects of mesenchymal stem cells in cell therapy. Med Clin (Barc). 2017;148:408-414 pubmed publisher..in the field of cell therapy and regenerative medicine describe mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) as potential biological products due to their ability to self-renew and differentiate...
- Garcia Estrada C, Martín J. Biosynthetic gene clusters for relevant secondary metabolites produced by Penicillium roqueforti in blue cheeses. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016;100:8303-13 pubmed publisher..The knowledge of these clusters and secondary metabolism pathways, together with the ability of P. roqueforti to produce beneficial secondary metabolites, is of interest for commercial purposes. ..
- Jacinto M, Patinha D, Marrucho I, GonÃ§alves J, Willson R, Azevedo A, et al. M13 bacteriophage purification using poly(ionic liquids) as alternative separation matrices. J Chromatogr A. 2018;1532:246-250 pubmed publisher..To the best of our knowledge, PILs have never been used as separation matrices for biological products and the results obtained, together with the large number of cations and anions available to prepare PILs, ..
- Mori S, Horita A, Ginnaga A, Miyatsu Y, Sawabe K, Matsumura T, et al. Venom and Antivenom of the Redback Spider (Latrodectus hasseltii) in Japan. Part II. Experimental Production of Equine Antivenom against the Redback Spider. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2017;70:635-641 pubmed publisher..overseas (a liquid preparation), and the other quality met all quality reference specifications based on the Minimum Requirements for Biological Products and other guidelines relevant to existing antivenom drug products in Japan.
- Egieyeh S, Syce J, Malan S, Christoffels A. Prioritization of anti-malarial hits from nature: chemo-informatic profiling of natural products with in vitro antiplasmodial activities and currently registered anti-malarial drugs. Malar J. 2016;15:50 pubmed publisher..Articulation of the information provided within an interactive data-mining environment led to a prioritized list of NAA. ..
- Allred T, Manoni F, Harran P. Exploring the Boundaries of "Practical": De Novo Syntheses of Complex Natural Product-Based Drug Candidates. Chem Rev. 2017;117:11994-12051 pubmed publisher..This summary provides a view of the strengths and weaknesses of current technologies, provides perspective on what one might consider a practical contribution, and hints at directions the field might take in the future. ..
- McCracken J, Veeranki S, Ameredes B, Calhoun W. Diagnosis and Management of Asthma in Adults: A Review. JAMA. 2017;318:279-290 pubmed publisher..Patients with severe asthma generally benefit from consultation with an asthma specialist for consideration of additional treatment, including injectable biologic agents. ..
- Li F, Weng J. Demystifying traditional herbal medicine with modern approach. Nat Plants. 2017;3:17109 pubmed publisher..We are entering an exciting era where the ancient wisdom distilled into the world's traditional herbal medicines can be reinterpreted and exploited through the lens of modern science. ..
- Kleinmann J, Tubach F, Le Guern V, Mathian A, Richez C, Saadoun D, et al. International and multidisciplinary expert recommendations for the use of biologics in systemic lupus erythematosus. Autoimmun Rev. 2017;16:650-657 pubmed publisher..These recommendations will be regularly updated according to the results of new randomized trials and increasing real life experience. ..
- Arai M, Kofuji Y, Tanaka Y, Yanase N, Yamaku K, Fuentes R, et al. Synthesis of rocaglamide derivatives and evaluation of their Wnt signal inhibitory activities. Org Biomol Chem. 2016;14:3061-8 pubmed publisher..We also describe the synthesis of rocaglamide heterocycle derivatives and evaluate their Wnt signal inhibitory activities. Compounds 4, 5, 22a, 22b, 22c and 23c showed potent Wnt signal inhibitory activity. ..
- Richter M, Drown B, Riley A, Garcia A, Shirai T, Svec R, et al. Predictive compound accumulation rules yield a broad-spectrum antibiotic. Nature. 2017;545:299-304 pubmed publisher..We anticipate that these findings will aid in the discovery and development of antibiotics against Gram-negative bacteria. ..
- Holden S, Currie C, Lennon M, Reynolds A, Moots R. Cost of dose escalation in people with rheumatoid arthritis treated with tumour necrosis factor inhibitors across Europe. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2016;34:679-84 pubmed..8-5.9 million for etanercept. Dose escalation of the TNF inhibitors adalimumab, etanercept and infliximab in people with rheumatoid arthritis has resulted in an increase in TNF inhibitor costs across five European countries. ..
- Beesoo R, Bhagooli R, Neergheen Bhujun V, Li W, Kagansky A, Bahorun T. Antibacterial and antibiotic potentiating activities of tropical marine sponge extracts. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;196:81-90 pubmed publisher..aureus. These findings suggest that the antibacterial properties of the tested marine sponge extracts may provide an alternative and complementary strategy to manage bacterial infections. ..
- Adpressa D, Loesgen S. Bioprospecting Chemical Diversity and Bioactivity in a Marine Derived Aspergillus terreus. Chem Biodivers. 2016;13:253-9 pubmed publisher..This approach allows environmentally-induced changes in metabolite expression to be rapidly visualized, and uses these differences to guide the discovery of new bioactive molecules. ..
- Zhu H, Yan Y, Tu Z, Luo J, Liang R, Yang T, et al. Compounds from Polyphaga plancyi and their inhibitory activities against JAK3 and DDR1 kinases. Fitoterapia. 2016;114:163-167 pubmed publisher..6 and 5.0?M, respectively. In addition, compound 4 exhibit inhibitory activity towards DDR1 kinase with IC50 value of 4.87?M. ..
- Keenan R, Schlesinger N. New and Pipeline Drugs for Gout. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2016;18:32 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we discuss new and pipeline drugs for acute gout, prophylactic anti-inflammatory therapies as well as urate lowering therapies. ..
- Hazlewood G, Barnabe C, Tomlinson G, Marshall D, Devoe D, Bombardier C. Methotrexate monotherapy and methotrexate combination therapy with traditional and biologic disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs for rheumatoid arthritis: A network meta-analysis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016;:CD010227 pubmed publisher..Methotrexate + some biologic DMARDs were superior to methotrexate in preventing joint damage in methotrexate-naïve patients, but the magnitude of these effects was small over one year. ..
- Zhang T, Hansel C, Voelker B, Lamborg C. Extensive Dark Biological Production of Reactive Oxygen Species in Brackish and Freshwater Ponds. Environ Sci Technol. 2016;50:2983-93 pubmed publisher..We conclude that biological ROS production is widespread, including regions devoid of light, thereby expanding the relevance of these reactive molecules to all regions of our oxygenated global habit. ..