Summary: The number of times an organism breathes with the lungs (RESPIRATION) per unit time, usually per minute.
- Pathak K, Soares M, Zhao Y, James A, Sherriff J, Newsholme P. Postprandial changes in glucose oxidation and insulin sensitivity in metabolic syndrome: Influence of fibroblast growth factor 21 and vitamin D status. Nutrition. 2017;37:37-42 pubmed publisher..Adjusted FGF21 was similar across all comparisons before and after OGTT. Higher vitamin D status, but not FGF21, was associated with greater postprandial glucose oxidation and improved insulin sensitivity. ..
- Orphanidou C, Bonnici T, Charlton P, Clifton D, Vallance D, Tarassenko L. Signal-quality indices for the electrocardiogram and photoplethysmogram: derivation and applications to wireless monitoring. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform. 2015;19:832-8 pubmed publisher..Second, we demonstrate how an SQI can be used to reduce the error in the estimation of respiratory rate (RR) from the PPG...
- Meule A, KÃ¼bler A. A Pilot Study on the Effects of Slow Paced Breathing on Current Food Craving. Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback. 2017;42:59-68 pubmed publisher..Thus, breathing rate did not influence specific food craving, but slow paced breathing appeared to have a delayed influence on state hunger. Future avenues are suggested for the study of HRV-BF in the context of eating behavior. ..
- Wu R, Liu Y, Wang L, Li B, Xu F. Activity Patterns Elicited by Airflow in the Olfactory Bulb and Their Possible Functions. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10700-10711 pubmed publisher..while the pattern topography with total airflow remains almost unchanged; and (3) the heart rate, spontaneous respiratory rate, and electroencephalograph power in the ? band decreased with regular mechanical airflow in the nasal cavity...
- Kipps A, Poole S, Slaney C, Feehan S, Longhurst C, Sharek P, et al. Inpatient-Derived Vital Sign Parameters Implementation: An Initiative to Decrease Alarm Burden. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..initiative with historical controls assessing the impact of age-based, inpatient-derived heart rate (HR) and respiratory rate (RR) parameters on a 20-bed acute care ward that serves primarily pediatric cardiology patients...
- Marzok M, El Khodery S. Comparative antinociceptive and sedative effects of epidural romifidine and detomidine in buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). Vet Rec. 2017;181:20 pubmed publisher..Romifidine induces a longer antinociceptive effect and a more rapid onset than detomidine. Consequently, epidural romifidine may offer better therapeutic benefits in the management of acute postoperative pain. ..
- Williams C, Alstrup A, Bertelsen M, Jensen H, Leite C, Wang T. When local anesthesia becomes universal: Pronounced systemic effects of subcutaneous lidocaine in bullfrogs (Lithobates catesbeianus). Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2017;209:41-46 pubmed publisher..loss of reflexes or change in heart rate in the handled group, but was associated with a reduction in gular respiratory rate (from 99Â±7 to 81Â±17breathsmin-1)...
- Patino M, Kalin M, Griffin A, Minhajuddin A, Ding L, Williams T, et al. Comparison of Postoperative Respiratory Monitoring by Acoustic and Transthoracic Impedance Technologies in Pediatric Patients at Risk of Respiratory Depression. Anesth Analg. 2017;124:1937-1942 pubmed publisherIn children, postoperative respiratory rate (RR) monitoring by transthoracic impedance (TI), capnography, and manual counting has limitations...
- Jouvet P, Eddington A, Payen V, Bordessoule A, Emeriaud G, Gasco R, et al. A pilot prospective study on closed loop controlled ventilation and oxygenation in ventilated children during the weaning phase. Crit Care. 2012;16:R85 pubmed publisher..Based on breath-by-breath analysis, the percentage of time with normal ventilation as defined by a respiratory rate between 10 and 40 breaths/minute, tidal volume > 5 ml/kg predicted body weight and end-tidal CO2 between ..
- Tolin D, McGrath P, Hale L, Weiner D, Gueorguieva R. A Multisite Benchmarking Trial of Capnometry Guided Respiratory Intervention for Panic Disorder in Naturalistic Treatment Settings. Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback. 2017;42:51-58 pubmed publisher..The present study confirms prior clinical results and lends further support to the viability of CGRI in the treatment of PD. ..
- Mehta J, Williams G, Harvey B, Grewal N, George E. The relationship between minute ventilation and end tidal CO2 in intubated and spontaneously breathing patients undergoing procedural sedation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180187 pubmed publisher..Minute Ventilation (MV), tidal volume (TV), and respiratory rate (RR) were continuously collected from an impedance-based Respiratory Volume Monitor (RVM) simultaneously with ..
- Miller J, Zuperku E, Stuth E, Banerjee A, Hopp F, Stucke A. A Subregion of the Parabrachial Nucleus Partially Mediates Respiratory Rate Depression from Intravenous Remifentanil in Young and Adult Rabbits. Anesthesiology. 2017;127:502-514 pubmed publisher..Second, respiratory rate was decreased with continuous IV infusions of remifentanil...
- Seely A, Bravi A, Herry C, Green G, Longtin A, Ramsay T, et al. Do heart and respiratory rate variability improve prediction of extubation outcomes in critically ill patients?. Crit Care. 2014;18:R65 pubmed publisher..The added value of heart and respiratory rate variability (HRV and RRV) during spontaneous breathing trials (SBTs) to predict extubation failure remains ..
- Gotink R, Younge J, Wery M, Utens E, Michels M, Rizopoulos D, et al. Online mindfulness as a promising method to improve exercise capacity in heart disease: 12-month follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175923 pubmed publisher..Secondary outcomes were blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, NT-proBNP, cortisol levels (scalp hair sample), mental and physical functioning (SF-36), anxiety and ..
- Vickstrom K, Azizian M, Semprini L. Transformation of carbon tetrachloride and chloroform by trichloroethene respiring anaerobic mixed cultures and supernatant. Chemosphere. 2017;182:65-75 pubmed publisher..A 14-day exposure to CF (CFmax = 1.4 ?M) reduced all rates of chlorinated ethene respiration by a factor of 10 or greater. ..
- Khalesi N, Khosravi N, Ranjbar A, Godarzi Z, Karimi A. The effectiveness of earmuffs on the physiologic and behavioral stability in preterm infants. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;98:43-47 pubmed publisher..Physiologic (body temperature, heart rate, respiratory rate, systolic, diastolic pressures, arterial Oxygen Saturation) and behavioral responses (according to the ..
- Wang Z, Zhou X, Zhao W, Liu F, Ni H, Yu Z. Assessing the severity of sleep apnea syndrome based on ballistocardiogram. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175351 pubmed publisher..In this study, we aim to propose an efficient approach to automatically assess the severity of sleep apnea syndrome based on the ballistocardiogram (BCG) signal, which is non-intrusive and suitable for in home environment...
- Rizzi M, Radovanovic D, Santus P, Airoldi A, Frassanito F, Vanni S, et al. Influence of autonomic nervous system dysfunction in the genesis of sleep disorders in fibromyalgia patients. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2017;35 Suppl 105:74-80 pubmed
- Domingues A, Paiva T, Sanches J. Hypnogram and sleep parameter computation from activity and cardiovascular data. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2014;61:1711-9 pubmed publisher..8%, 77.4%, and 80.3% in the detection of wakefulness, REM, and NREM states, respectively, and the second an estimation error of 4.3%, 9.8%, and 5.4% for the SE, REM, and NREM percentages, respectively. ..
- Roberts D, Djärv T. Preceding national early warnings scores among in-hospital cardiac arrests and their impact on survival. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1601-1606 pubmed publisher..This information can be used when discussing prognosis with patients and relatives. But even more importantly, it stresses the need for better preventive strategies in IHCAs. STRENGTHENS AND LIMITATIONS WITH THIS STUDY. ..
- Calegari F, Calamari L, Frazzi E. Fan cooling of the resting area in a free stalls dairy barn. Int J Biometeorol. 2014;58:1225-36 pubmed..The lying time results also suggest that the benefits of providing ventilation in the resting area might be more evident in barns where there is no paddock. ..
- Ritz T, Rosenfield D, St Laurent C, Trueba A, Werchan C, Vogel P, et al. A novel biomarker associated with distress in humans: calcium-binding protein, spermatid-specific 1 (CABS1). Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2017;312:R1004-R1016 pubmed publisher..CABS1 is readily detected in human saliva and is associated with psychological and physiological indicators of stress. The role of CABS1 in inflammatory processes, stress, and stress resilience requires careful study. ..