Genomes and Genes
Summary: Loss of vascular ELASTICITY due to factors such as AGING; and ARTERIOSCLEROSIS. Increased arterial stiffness is one of the RISK FACTORS for many CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES.
- Puolakka E, Pahkala K, Laitinen T, Magnussen C, Hutri Kähönen N, Kahonen M, et al. Childhood Socioeconomic Status and Arterial Stiffness in Adulthood: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Hypertension. 2017;70:729-735 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that special attention could be paid to children from low SES families to prevent cardiometabolic diseases primordially. ..
- Aslan A, Şirin Özcan A, Erten S, Alsancak Y, Durmaz T. Assessment of local carotid stiffness in seronegative and seropositive rheumatoid arthritis. Scand Cardiovasc J. 2017;51:255-260 pubmed publisher..005) in seropositive patients. RA per se is sufficient to cause arteriosclerosis in the absence of classical CV risk factors. However, arterial hypertrophy is only increased in seronegative patients but not in seropositive group. ..
- Madika A, Mounier Vehier C. [Smoking and blood pressure: A complex relationship]. Presse Med. 2017;46:697-702 pubmed publisher..Every effort should thus be made to support smoking cessation. This is the objective of the French "Plan Sans Tabac" (No Tobacco Plan) and the related actions conducted by the French Federation of Cardiology. ..
- Sarafidis P, Loutradis C, Karpetas A, Tzanis G, Piperidou A, Koutroumpas G, et al. Ambulatory Pulse Wave Velocity Is a Stronger Predictor of Cardiovascular Events and All-Cause Mortality Than Office and Ambulatory Blood Pressure in Hemodialysis Patients. Hypertension. 2017;70:148-157 pubmed publisher..These findings further support that arterial stiffness is the prominent cardiovascular risk factor in hemodialysis. ..
- Montero D, Dandanell S, Oberholzer L, Keiser S, Breenfeldt Andersen A, Haider T, et al. Combined effects of physical inactivity and acute hyperglycemia on arterial distensibility. Vasc Med. 2017;22:285-291 pubmed publisher..This effect is associated with concomitant increases in circulating insulin concentration attributable to early insulin resistance. ..
- Day D, Xiang J, Mo J, Li F, Chung M, Gong J, et al. Association of Ozone Exposure With Cardiorespiratory Pathophysiologic Mechanisms in Healthy Adults. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:1344-1353 pubmed publisher..Exposure to ozone has been associated with cardiovascular mortality, but the underlying biological mechanisms are not yet understood...
- Kumar V, Yadav A, Lal A, Kumar V, Singhal M, Billot L, et al. A Randomized Trial of Vitamin D Supplementation on Vascular Function in CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;28:3100-3108 pubmed publisher..Thus, in nondiabetic patients with stage 3-4 CKD and vitamin D deficiency, vitamin D supplementation may improve vascular function. This study is registered with the Clinical Trials Registry of India (no.: CTRI/2013/05/003648). ..
- Aatola H, Koivistoinen T, Tuominen H, Juonala M, Lehtimaki T, Viikari J, et al. Influence of Child and Adult Elevated Blood Pressure on Adult Arterial Stiffness: The Cardiovascular Risk in Young Finns Study. Hypertension. 2017;70:531-536 pubmed publisher..26[0.80-1.99]). The results were consistent when different definitions for child and adult elevated BP were applied. These findings highlight the importance of BP control in the primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Hayer M, Edwards N, Slinn G, Moody W, Steeds R, Ferro C, et al. A randomized, multicenter, open-label, blinded end point trial comparing the effects of spironolactone to chlorthalidone on left ventricular mass in patients with early-stage chronic kidney disease: Rationale and design of the SPIRO-CKD trial. Am Heart J. 2017;191:37-46 pubmed publisher..Subjects are assessed before and after 40weeks of randomly allocated drug therapy and at 46weeks after discontinuation of the study drug. ..
- Borkum M, Heckmann J, Manning K, Dave J, Levitt N, Rayner B, et al. High prevalence of "non-dipping" blood pressure and vascular stiffness in HIV-infected South Africans on antiretrovirals. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185003 pubmed publisher..However, little data exists on ambulatory blood pressure (ABP) and measures of vascular stiffness in the black African HIV infected population...
- Rundek T, Della Morte D, Gardener H, Dong C, Markert M, Gutierrez J, et al. Relationship between carotid arterial properties and cerebral white matter hyperintensities. Neurology. 2017;88:2036-2042 pubmed publisher..These associations suggest a potential important pathophysiologic role of extracranial large artery remodeling in the burden of WMH. ..
- Imamura H, Yamaguchi T, Nagayama D, Saiki A, Shirai K, Tatsuno I. Resveratrol Ameliorates Arterial Stiffness Assessed by Cardio-Ankle Vascular Index in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Int Heart J. 2017;58:577-583 pubmed publisher..Resveratrol may be beneficial in preventing the development of atherosclerosis induced by diabetes. However, a large-scale cohort study is required to validate the present findings. ..
- Pfeifer M, Townsend R, Davies M, Vijapurkar U, Ren J. Effects of canagliflozin, a sodium glucose co-transporter 2 inhibitor, on blood pressure and markers of arterial stiffness in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a post hoc analysis. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2017;16:29 pubmed publisher..gov Identifier: NCT01081834 (registered March 2010); NCT01106677 (registered April 2010); NCT01106625 (registered April 2010); NCT01106690 (registered April 2010); NCT01939496 (registered September 2013). ..
- Pizoń T, Rajzer M, Wojciechowska W, Rojek M, Kameczura T, Jurczyszyn A, et al. [The influence of antihypertensive treatment on arterial stiffness, shear stress and activity of chosen matrix metalloproteinases]. Przegl Lek. 2015;72:53-9 pubmed..Reduction of arterial stiffness as a result of antihypertensive therapy is strongly connected with shear stress increase that is secondary to blood flow velocity growth and changes in connective tissue metabolism. ..
- Lastra G, Manrique C, Jia G, Aroor A, Hayden M, Barron B, et al. Xanthine oxidase inhibition protects against Western diet-induced aortic stiffness and impaired vasorelaxation in female mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2017;313:R67-R77 pubmed publisherConsumption of a high-fat, high-fructose diet [Western diet (WD)] promotes vascular stiffness, a critical factor in the development of cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Jiao Y, Li G, Li Q, Ali R, Qin L, Li W, et al. mTOR (Mechanistic Target of Rapamycin) Inhibition Decreases Mechanosignaling, Collagen Accumulation, and Stiffening of the Thoracic Aorta in Elastin-Deficient Mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1657-1666 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that mTOR-sensitive perturbation of smooth muscle cell mechanosensing contributes to elastin aortopathy. ..
- Yen C, Hung C, Lee P, Tsai J, Lai Y, Su C, et al. Segmental arterial stiffness in relation to B-type natriuretic peptide with preserved systolic heart function. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183747 pubmed publisher..7%, P = 0.029). A significant segmental PWV associated with biomarker BNP concentrations suggests that arterial stiffness is associated with myocardial damage. ..
- Lithander F, Herlihy L, Walsh D, Burke E, Crowley V, Mahmud A. Postprandial effect of dietary fat quantity and quality on arterial stiffness and wave reflection: a randomised controlled trial. Nutr J. 2013;12:93 pubmed publisher..The study highlights the need for further research to understand the effects of the substitution of SFA with MUFA on non-serum, new and emerging risk factors for CVD such as arterial stiffness. ..
- Ishikawa K, Aguero J, Oh J, Hammoudi N, Fish L, Leonardson L, et al. Increased stiffness is the major early abnormality in a pig model of severe aortic stenosis and predisposes to congestive heart failure in the absence of systolic dysfunction. J Am Heart Assoc. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Increased stiffness is the major early pathological process that predisposes to congestive heart failure without abnormalities in systolic function and relaxation in a clinically relevant animal model of aortic stenosis. ..
- Aroor A, Jia G, Habibi J, Sun Z, Ramirez Perez F, Brady B, et al. Uric acid promotes vascular stiffness, maladaptive inflammatory responses and proteinuria in western diet fed mice. Metabolism. 2017;74:32-40 pubmed publisherAortic vascular stiffness has been implicated in the development of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and chronic kidney disease (CKD) in obese individuals. However, the mechanism promoting these adverse effects are unclear...
- Laugesen E, Høyem P, Christiansen J, Knudsen S, Hansen K, Argraves W, et al. Plasma levels of the arterial wall protein fibulin-1 are associated with carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity: a cross-sectional study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2013;12:107 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to determine the exact role of fibulin-1 in arterial stiffness and cardiovascular risk in patients with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Patel A, Dodson R, Cornwell W, Hunter K, Cleveland J, Brieke A, et al. Dynamic Changes in Aortic Vascular Stiffness in Patients Bridged to Transplant With Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Devices. JACC Heart Fail. 2017;5:449-459 pubmed publisherThe aim of this study was to measure aortic vascular stiffness from orthotopic heart transplant (OHT) patients exposed to varying types of flow as a result of the presence or absence of left ventricular assist device (LVAD) support pre-..
- Muhammad I, Borné Y, Ostling G, Kennbäck C, Gottsäter M, Persson M, et al. Acute phase proteins as prospective risk markers for arterial stiffness: The Malmö Diet and Cancer cohort. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181718 pubmed publisher..Alpha-1-antitrypsin, C3 and CRP are associated with arterial stiffness. The results indicate that low grade inflammation is associated with arterial stiffness in addition to established cardiovascular risk factors. ..
- Ryan T, Parent J, Gao Z, Khoury P, Dupont E, Smith J, et al. Central Arterial Function Measured by Non-invasive Pulse Wave Analysis is Abnormal in Patients with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Pediatr Cardiol. 2017;38:1269-1276 pubmed publisher..Further study is required to determine the mechanism of these differences, which may be related to the effects of systemic steroids or the role of dystrophin in vascular function. ..
- Villacorta L, Chang L. The role of perivascular adipose tissue in vasoconstriction, arterial stiffness, and aneurysm. Horm Mol Biol Clin Investig. 2015;21:137-47 pubmed publisher..Specifically, we summarize the current proposed roles of PVAT in relationship with vascular contractility, endothelial dysfunction, neointimal formation, arterial stiffness, and aneurysm. ..
- Melilli E, Bestard Matamoros O, Manonelles Montero A, Sala Bassa N, Mast R, Grinyó Boira J, et al. Arterial stiffness in kidney transplantation: a single center case-control study comparing belatacept versus calcineurin inhibitor immunosuppressive based regimen. Nefrologia. 2015;35:58-65 pubmed publisher..008; P=0.045). Belatacept-based maintenance immunosuppression could improve kidney transplant recipient’s survival by reducing cardiovascular events related to stiffness. ..
- Adams S, DeLorey D, Davenport M, Stickland M, Fairey A, North S, et al. Effects of high-intensity aerobic interval training on cardiovascular disease risk in testicular cancer survivors: A phase 2 randomized controlled trial. Cancer. 2017;123:4057-4065 pubmed publisher..Further research concerning the long-term effects of HIIT on CVD morbidity and mortality in TCS is warranted. Cancer 2017;123:4057-65. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Vilmi Kerälä T, Lauhio A, Tervahartiala T, Palomäki O, Uotila J, Sorsa T, et al. Subclinical inflammation associated with prolonged TIMP-1 upregulation and arterial stiffness after gestational diabetes mellitus: a hospital-based cohort study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2017;16:49 pubmed publisher..Cardiovascular risk factors were more common in participants with high BMI than in those with previous GDM. ..
- Namba S, Yamaoka Tojo M, Kakizaki R, Nemoto T, Fujiyoshi K, Hashikata T, et al. Effects on bone metabolism markers and arterial stiffness by switching to rivaroxaban from warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. Heart Vessels. 2017;32:977-982 pubmed publisher..Switching to rivaroxaban from warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation was associated with anÂ increaseÂ of bone formation markers and aÂ decreaseÂ of bone resorption markers, and also improvements of PWVÂ and AI. ..
- Wu I, Sun Z, Lu F, Yang Y, Chou C, Chang C, et al. Restrictive Spirometry Pattern Is Associated With Increased Arterial Stiffness in Men and Women. Chest. 2017;152:394-401 pubmed publisher..Clinically, assessment of arterial stiffness might be considered in individuals with restrictive spirometry pattern. ..
- Vazquez Del Mercado M, Gomez Bañuelos E, Chavarria Avila E, Cardona Munoz E, Ramos Becerra C, Alanis Sanchez A, et al. Disease duration of rheumatoid arthritis is a predictor of vascular stiffness: a cross-sectional study in patients without known cardiovascular comorbidities: A STROBE-compliant article. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7862 pubmed publisher..054).Each year of life with RA contributes to a higher rate of vascular aging or stiffening than a year of life without RA. The cumulative damage provided by RA was most pronounced in patients with disease duration ?10 years. ..
- Johnson S, Figueroa A, Navaei N, Wong A, Kalfon R, Ormsbee L, et al. Daily blueberry consumption improves blood pressure and arterial stiffness in postmenopausal women with pre- and stage 1-hypertension: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015;115:369-77 pubmed publisher..11Â±7.95 Î¼mol/L), whereas there were no changes in the control group. Daily blueberry consumption may reduce blood pressure and arterial stiffness, which may be due, in part, to increased nitric oxide production. ..
- Angermann S, Baumann M, Wassertheurer S, Mayer C, Steubl D, Hauser C, et al. Pulse wave velocity is associated with cognitive impairment in hemodialysis patients. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:1483-1493 pubmed publisher..Concerning the underlying pathogenesis of cognitive impairment, current results revealed a potential involvement of arterial stiffness, which has to be further evaluated in future studies. ..
- Bohn L, Ramõa A, Silva G, Silva N, Abreu S, Ribeiro F, et al. Sedentary Behavior and Arterial Stiffness in Adults with and without Metabolic Syndrome. Int J Sports Med. 2017;38:396-401 pubmed publisher..9±1.0 vs. 8.9±1.0?m/s; p<0.05). Sedentary time is associated with cfPWV independently of age and metabolic risk factors. A higher Sed in MetS individuals lead to a worse arterial stiffness profile. ..
- Mehta A, Zanobetti A, Koutrakis P, Mittleman M, Sparrow D, Vokonas P, et al. Associations between short-term changes in air pollution and correlates of arterial stiffness: The Veterans Affairs Normative Aging Study, 2007-2011. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:192-9 pubmed publisher..4), 0.6% (95% CI: 0.1, 1.2), and 1.7% (95% CI: 0.4, 2.9) higher, respectively. Overall, the findings were similar for augmentation pressure. The findings support the hypothesis that exposure to air pollution may affect vascular function. ..
- Mozos I, Maidana J, Stoian D, Stehlík M. Gender Differences of Arterial Stiffness and Arterial Age in Smokers. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..The results of our study indicate gender differences for arterial stiffness and arterial age in smokers. ..
- Naeije R, Gerges M, Vachiery J, Caravita S, Gerges C, Lang I. Hemodynamic Phenotyping of Pulmonary Hypertension in Left Heart Failure. Circ Heart Fail. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..Cpc-PH bears similarities to pulmonary arterial hypertension. Whether Cpc-PH is amenable to therapies targeting the pulmonary circulation remains to be tested by properly designed randomized controlled trials. ..
- Ohkuma T, Ninomiya T, Tomiyama H, Kario K, Hoshide S, Kita Y, et al. Brachial-Ankle Pulse Wave Velocity and the Risk Prediction of Cardiovascular Disease: An Individual Participant Data Meta-Analysis. Hypertension. 2017;69:1045-1052 pubmed publisher..Thus, measurement of the baPWV could enhance the efficacy of prediction of the risk of development of CVD over that of the Framingham risk score, which is based on the traditional cardiovascular risk factors. ..
- Reddy Y, Andersen M, Obokata M, Koepp K, Kane G, Melenovsky V, et al. Arterial Stiffening With Exercise in Patients With Heart Failure and Preserved Ejection Fraction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:136-148 pubmed publisher..Acute Effects of Inorganic Nitrite on Cardiovascular Hemodynamics in Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction; NCT01932606. Inhaled Sodium Nitrite on Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction; NCT02262078). ..
- Sarmento Dias M, Santos Araújo C, Poínhos R, Oliveira B, Silva I, Silva L, et al. Fibroblast growth factor 23 is associated with left ventricular hypertrophy, not with uremic vasculopathy in peritoneal dialysis patients. Clin Nephrol. 2016;85:135-41 pubmed publisher..Our results show that FGF23 is associated with LVH but not with endothelial dysfunction, arterial stiffness, or vascular calcification in PD patients. ..
- . Determinants of pulse wave velocity in healthy people and in the presence of cardiovascular risk factors: 'establishing normal and reference values'. Eur Heart J. 2010;31:2338-50 pubmed publisher..The present study is the first to establish reference and normal values for PWV, combining a sizeable European population after standardizing results for different methods of PWV measurement. ..
- Oudegeest Sander M, Olde Rikkert M, Smits P, Thijssen D, van Dijk A, Levine B, et al. The effect of an advanced glycation end-product crosslink breaker and exercise training on vascular function in older individuals: a randomized factorial design trial. Exp Gerontol. 2013;48:1509-17 pubmed..Despite the clinical benefits of exercise training for older individuals, neither exercise training nor Alagebrium (alone or in combination) was able to reverse the vascular effects of decades of sedentary aging. ..
- Liu H, Yuan W, Qin K, Hou J. Acute effect of cycling intervention on carotid arterial hemodynamics: basketball athletes versus sedentary controls. Biomed Eng Online. 2015;14 Suppl 1:S17 pubmed publisher..The role of OSI in the remodeling of arterial structure and function in the BA group at rest and after cycling requires clarification. ..
- Staiculescu M, Kim J, Mecham R, Wagenseil J. Mechanical behavior and matrisome gene expression in the aneurysm-prone thoracic aorta of newborn lysyl oxidase knockout mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017;313:H446-H456 pubmed publisher..i>Lox-/- aortas show upregulation of matrix remodeling genes and location-specific differential expression of other matrix and smooth muscle cell gene sets. ..
- Rodríguez Martín C, Alonso Dominguez R, Patino Alonso M, Gomez Marcos M, Maderuelo Fernández J, Martin Cantera C, et al. The EVIDENT diet quality index is associated with cardiovascular risk and arterial stiffness in adults. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:305 pubmed publisher..24, and 0.09 respectively (p < 0.05, all). The diet quality index developed is associated to CVR and its components, and also with arterial stiffness, as measured with PWV. This index is also a good predictor of adherence to MD. ..
- Pagoulatou S, Stergiopulos N. Evolution of aortic pressure during normal ageing: A model-based study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182173 pubmed publisher..The stiffening of the proximal aorta and the resulting augmentation of the forward pressure wave is the major contributor of the systolic pressure augmentation with age. ..
- Mikola H, Pahkala K, Niinikoski H, Rönnemaa T, Viikari J, Jula A, et al. Cardiometabolic Determinants of Carotid and Aortic Distensibility From Childhood to Early Adulthood. Hypertension. 2017;70:452-460 pubmed publisher..These data support the relevance of these factors as part of primordial prevention. URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00223600. ..
- Wang J, Lee C, Yang C, Chen Y, Hsu B. Serum resistin as an independent marker of aortic stiffness in patients with coronary artery disease. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183123 pubmed publisher..275, 95% confidence interval: 1.065-1.527, p = 0.008) was also found to be an independent predictor of aortic stiffness in patients with CAD. Serum resistin level is a biomarker for aortic stiffness in patients with CAD. ..
- Chen W, Li S, Fernandez C, Sun D, Lai C, Zhang T, et al. Temporal Relationship Between Elevated Blood Pressure and Arterial Stiffening Among Middle-Aged Black and White Adults: The Bogalusa Heart Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2016;183:599-608 pubmed publisher..Unlike the case in older adults, the large-arterial wall is not stiff enough in youth to alter BP levels during young adulthood. ..
- Yang Y, Wang Z, Yuan L, Cao T, Liu J, Ren R, et al. Aortic stiffness evaluated by echocardiography in female patients with Takayasu's arteritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2017;35 Suppl 103:134-138 pubmed..This manifestation is prior to the impairment of cardiac diastolic function. This elevated AS can be detected by echocardiographic measured PWVcf with a good reproducibility. ..
- Cwynar M, Gasowski J, Gryglewska B, GÅ‚uszewska A, BartoÅ„ H, SÅ‚owik A, et al. The relation between ACE D/I and CYP11B2 C-344T polymorphisms and parameters of arterial stiffness in the context of renal sodium handling. Blood Press. 2015;24:306-16 pubmed
- Al Rifai M, DeFilippis A, McEvoy J, Hall M, Acien A, Jones M, et al. The relationship between smoking intensity and subclinical cardiovascular injury: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Atherosclerosis. 2017;258:119-130 pubmed publisher..In percent change analyses, relationships were strongest with hsCRP. Smoking intensity was associated with early biomarkers of CVD, particularly, markers of systemic inflammation. Of these, hsCRP may be the most sensitive. ..
- Zahner G, Gruendl M, Spaulding K, Schaller M, Hills N, Gasper W, et al. Association between arterial stiffness and peripheral artery disease as measured by radial artery tonometry. J Vasc Surg. 2017;66:1518-1526 pubmed publisher..Further prospective data are needed to establish whether radial artery tonometry could be a tool for risk stratification in the PAD population. ..
- Moyama S, Minami K, Yano M, Okumura M, Hayashi S, Takayama H, et al. Relationship between dietary patterns and brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity among middle-aged adults in Japan. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2017;26:539-544 pubmed publisher..This diet offers an additional nutritional approach to the prevention and treatment of arterial stiffness. ..
- Ikonomidis I, Papadavid E, Makavos G, Andreadou I, Varoudi M, Gravanis K, et al. Lowering Interleukin-12 Activity Improves Myocardial and Vascular Function Compared With Tumor Necrosis Factor-a Antagonism or Cyclosporine in Psoriasis. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..In psoriasis, IL-12/23 inhibition results in a greater improvement of coronary, arterial, and myocardial function than TNF-Î± inhibition or cyclosporine treatment. URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT02144857. ..
- Yuan W, Liu H, Gao F, Wang Y, Qin K. Effects of 8-week swimming training on carotid arterial stiffness and hemodynamics in young overweight adults. Biomed Eng Online. 2016;15:151 pubmed publisher..Therefore, further studies are still warranted to clarify the underlying relationship between improvements in arterial stiffness and alterations in wall shear stress. ..