Genomes and Genes
Summary: The deformation and flow behavior of BLOOD and its elements i.e., PLASMA; ERYTHROCYTES; WHITE BLOOD CELLS; and BLOOD PLATELETS.
- Lantz J, Gårdhagen R, Karlsson M. Quantifying turbulent wall shear stress in a subject specific human aorta using large eddy simulation. Med Eng Phys. 2012;34:1139-48 pubmed publisher..The decomposition of WSS into a pulsating and a fluctuating part increases the understanding of how WSS affects the aortic wall, which enables both qualitative and quantitative comparisons. ..
- Kislukhin V. Stochasticity of flow through microcirculation as a regulator of oxygen delivery. Theor Biol Med Model. 2010;7:29 pubmed publisher..Oxygen delivery to the tissues directly depends on characteristics of the irregularity of the flow through microcirculation. By variation of vasomotion activity it is possible to change delivery of oxygen to a tissue by up to 8 times. ..
- Liu L, Duan J, Tang Y, Guo J, Yang N, Ma H, et al. Taoren-Honghua herb pair and its main components promoting blood circulation through influencing on hemorheology, plasma coagulation and platelet aggregation. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012;139:381-7 pubmed publisher..It may also create valuable insight into the possible effects and utilization of TH and its components as a feasible alternative therapeutic agent for patients with hemorheological disorders. ..
- Pathansali R, Mangoni A, Creagh Brown B, Lan Z, Ngow G, Yuan X, et al. Effects of folic acid supplementation on psychomotor performance and hemorheology in healthy elderly subjects. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2006;43:127-37 pubmed..Short-term folic acid supplementation does not enhance psychomotor performance or reduce blood viscosity in healthy elderly subjects with normal serum folic acid levels and preserved cognitive function. ..
- Kirschkamp T, Schmid Schönbein H, Weinberger A, Smeets R. Effects of fibrinogen and alpha2-macroglobulin and their apheretic elimination on general blood rheology and rheological characteristics of red blood cell aggregates. Ther Apher Dial. 2008;12:360-7 pubmed publisher..These novel findings are of importance regarding recent developments in clinical hemorheology, specifically the clinical use of hemapheretic therapies for diseases in which impaired microcirculation plays ..
- Chen X, Feng L, Jin H, Feng S, Yu Y. Quantification of the erythrocyte deformability using atomic force microscopy: correlation study of the erythrocyte deformability with atomic force microscopy and hemorheology. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2009;43:243-51 pubmed publisher..However, the reliability of using AFM in estimating the cellular average deformability was suspected. Hemorheology, one of common clinical examinations, can assess the deformability of erythrocytes...
- Ganter M, Hofer C. Coagulation monitoring: current techniques and clinical use of viscoelastic point-of-care coagulation devices. Anesth Analg. 2008;106:1366-75 pubmed publisher..To ensure optimal accuracy and performance, standardized procedures for blood sampling and handling, strict quality controls and trained personnel are required. ..
- Penz S, Reininger A, Toth O, Deckmyn H, Brandl R, Siess W. Glycoprotein Ibalpha inhibition and ADP receptor antagonists, but not aspirin, reduce platelet thrombus formation in flowing blood exposed to atherosclerotic plaques. Thromb Haemost. 2007;97:435-43 pubmed..Although these new anti-platelet agents inhibit platelet thrombus formation after plaque rupture, more efficient platelet blockers are required. ..
- Aloulou I, Varlet Marie E, Mercier J, Brun J. The hemorheological aspects of the metabolic syndrome are a combination of separate effects of insulin resistance, hyperinsulinemia and adiposity. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2006;35:113-9 pubmed..Thus hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance induce hyperviscosity syndromes which are somewhat different, although they are associated most of the time. Low SI increases RBC aggregation while hyperinsulinemia increases eta p. ..
- Meiselman H, Baskurt O. Hemorheology and hemodynamics: Dove andare?. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2006;35:37-43 pubmed..Finally, a few gratuitous comments are presented regarding possible future directions in the field of hemorheology and hemodynamics.
- Munnix I, Cosemans J, Auger J, Heemskerk J. Platelet response heterogeneity in thrombus formation. Thromb Haemost. 2009;102:1149-56 pubmed publisher..This recognition of thrombus heterogeneity has implications for the use and development of antiplatelet medication. ..
- Banerjee R, Sinha Roy A, Back L, Back M, Khoury S, Millard R. Characterizing momentum change and viscous loss of a hemodynamic endpoint in assessment of coronary lesions. J Biomech. 2007;40:652-62 pubmed..These baseline values of c were developed from fluid dynamics fundamentals for focal lesions, and provided a single hemodynamic endpoint to evaluate coronary stenosis severity. ..
- Bor Kucukatay M, Demir S, Akbay R, Dursunoglu D, Akdag B, Semiz E. Relationship between hemorheology and Glu(298)Asp polymorphism of endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene in patients with coronary artery disease. Mol Biol Rep. 2010;37:171-8 pubmed publisher..Additionally, some compensatory mechanisms by causing decrements in RBC aggregation, may help regulation of circulation in healthy individuals with high cardiovascular risk. ..
- Tynngård N, Lindahl T, Ramstrom S, Berlin G. Effects of different blood components on clot retraction analysed by measuring elasticity with a free oscillating rheometer. Platelets. 2006;17:545-54 pubmed..The ReoRox 4 instrument had excellent measuring range and unusually small artefactual effects on clot elasticity induced by the instrument in comparison with published results on other instruments. ..
- Tynngård N, Lindahl T, Ramstrom S, Räf T, Rugarn O, Berlin G. Free oscillation rheometry detects changes in clot properties in pregnancy and thrombocytopenia. Platelets. 2008;19:373-8 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that FOR can provide new information on the haemostatic status of patients at risk of thrombotic or bleeding events as well as information on the haemostatic effect of a platelet transfusion. ..
- Lee B, Durairaj A, Mehra A, Wenby R, Meiselman H, Alexy T. Hemorheological abnormalities in stable angina and acute coronary syndromes. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2008;39:43-51 pubmed
- Zilberman Kravits D, Harman Boehm I, Shuster T, Meyerstein N. Increased red cell aggregation is correlated with HbA1C and lipid levels in type 1 but not type 2 diabetes. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2006;35:463-71 pubmed..In the future, low molecular weight dextran may be used in DM patients clinically to lower the risk for vascular complications, after the problem of filtration is solved. ..
- Mantskava M, Momtselidze N, Pargalava N, McHedlishvili G. Hemorheological disorders in patients with type 1 or 2 diabetes mellitus and foot gangrene. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2006;35:307-10 pubmed..The disturbed blood fluidity related to the increased RBC aggregability in the microcirculation promotes, in particular, the development of legs gangrene in both types of diabetes mellitus...
- Eguchi Y, Karino T. Measurement of rheologic property of blood by a falling-ball blood viscometer. Ann Biomed Eng. 2008;36:545-53 pubmed publisher..In contrast to this, in the case of the whole blood in which massive aggregates were formed, the viscosity obtained with a falling-ball viscometer was much larger than that obtained with a cone-plate viscometer. ..
- Bressloff N. Parametric geometry exploration of the human carotid artery bifurcation. J Biomech. 2007;40:2483-91 pubmed..Also, it is shown that different sets of geometric parameters can produce low values of tau by either relatively small intense areas, or by larger areas of less intense reverse flow. ..
- Kowal P, Marcinkowska Gapińska A. Hemorheological changes dependent on the time from the onset of ischemic stroke. J Neurol Sci. 2007;258:132-6 pubmed..The analysis of Quemada model parameters indicates that the decrease of blood viscosity may result from the increased red cell deformability. ..
- Jax T, Peters A, Plehn G, Schoebel F. Relevance of hemostatic risk factors on coronary morphology in patients with diabetes mellitus type 2. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2009;8:24 pubmed publisher..A direct association of thrombogenic factors on coronary morphology could be shown. This can be the pathophysiologic mechanism of more severe and distal pronounced coronary atherosclerosis in these patients. ..
- Xue M, Chen K, Ma X, Liu J, Jiang Y, Miao Y, et al. [Effects of Xuefu Zhuyu Oral Liquid on hemorheology in patients with blood-stasis syndrome due to coronary disease and their relationship with human platelet antigen-3 polymorphism]. Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. 2008;6:1129-35 pubmed publisher..effects of Xuefu Zhuyu Oral Liquid, a compound traditional Chinese herbal medicine for resolving stagnation, on hemorheology in the patients with blood-stasis syndrome due to coronary disease and their relationship with human platelet ..
- Momtselidze N, Mantskava M, McHedlishvili G. Hemorheological disorders during ischemic brain infarcts in patients with and without diabetes mellitus. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2006;35:261-4 pubmed..3 per cent. Ischemic brain infarcts in patients with diabetes mellitus were associated with a significant increase of the patients' blood rheological disorders in all the investigated cases. ..
- Faivre M, Abkarian M, Bickraj K, Stone H. Geometrical focusing of cells in a microfluidic device: an approach to separate blood plasma. Biorheology. 2006;43:147-59 pubmed..We propose a microfluidic application of this focusing effect for separation of the red blood cells from the suspending plasma. ..
- Baskurt O, Meiselman H. Hemodynamic effects of red blood cell aggregation. Indian J Exp Biol. 2007;45:25-31 pubmed..Studies using this technique revealed that the effects of RBC aggregation are determined by the degree of aggregation changes, and that this relationship can be explained by different hemodynamic mechanisms. ..
- Marcinkowska Gapińska A, Gapinski J, Elikowski W, Jaroszyk F, Kubisz L. Comparison of three rheological models of shear flow behavior studied on blood samples from post-infarction patients. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2007;45:837-44 pubmed..Our results suggest that aspirin does not affect blood rheological properties, while acenocoumarol may slightly alter red cell deformability and rouleaux formation. ..
- Munnix I, Kuijpers M, Auger J, Thomassen C, Panizzi P, van Zandvoort M, et al. Segregation of platelet aggregatory and procoagulant microdomains in thrombus formation: regulation by transient integrin activation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2007;27:2484-90 pubmed..Herein, the hemostatic activity of a developing thrombus is determined by the balance in formation of proaggregatory and procoagulant platelets. This balance is influenced by antiplatelet and anticoagulant medication. ..
- Relevy H, Koshkaryev A, Manny N, Yedgar S, Barshtein G. Blood banking-induced alteration of red blood cell flow properties. Transfusion. 2008;48:136-46 pubmed..Because impaired RBC flow properties facilitate circulatory disorders, the potential circulatory risk of transfusion RBC with blood banking-impaired rheology should be considered. ..
- Fedosov D, Caswell B, Karniadakis G. A multiscale red blood cell model with accurate mechanics, rheology, and dynamics. Biophys J. 2010;98:2215-25 pubmed publisher..Our findings clearly indicate that a purely elastic model for the membrane cannot accurately represent the RBC's rheological properties and its dynamics, and therefore accurate modeling of a viscoelastic membrane is necessary. ..
- Dominighini A, Ferrero M, Crosetti D, Alvarez M, Ronco M, Gonzálvez J, et al. Effect of Ligaria cuneifolia catechin- and quercetin-enriched fractions on hemorheology and plasma cholesterol. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2010;44:217-25 pubmed publisher..Opposite results were observed in rigidity index with CLc and QLc. In vitro studies showed an interaction of both CLc and QLc with the erythrocyte membrane, which induced changes in the erythrocyte shape from discocyte to stomatocyte. ..
- Zorio E, Murado J, Arizo D, Rueda J, Corella D, Simó M, et al. Haemorheological parameters in young patients with acute myocardial infarction. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2008;39:33-41 pubmed
- Niclauss L, Segesser L. PulseCath iVAC 3LTM hemodynamic performance for simple assisted flow. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2011;12:912-3 pubmed publisher..With increasing afterload (up to a simulated mean systemic pressure of 66 mmHg) flow rate and cardiac support are in some extent limited. ..
- Zhang Q, Steinman D, Friedman M. Use of factor analysis to characterize arterial geometry and predict hemodynamic risk: application to the human carotid bifurcation. J Biomech Eng. 2010;132:114505 pubmed publisher..84. The predictability of the hemodynamic metrics and relative risk is only modestly sensitive to assumptions about flow rates and flow partitions in the bifurcation. ..
- Ye T, Li H, Lam K. Modeling and simulation of microfluid effects on deformation behavior of a red blood cell in a capillary. Microvasc Res. 2010;80:453-63 pubmed publisher..The simulation results demonstrate that all of the parameters have influences on the RBC behavior by changing the interaction between the RBC and suspending fluid. ..
- Ebaid A, Aly E. Exact analytical solution of the peristaltic nanofluids flow in an asymmetric channel with flexible walls and slip condition: application to the cancer treatment. Comput Math Methods Med. 2013;2013:825376 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, the current analysis and results are considered as optimal and therefore may be taken as a base for any future comparisons. ..
- Clark T, Van Canneyt K, Verdonck P. Computational flow dynamics and preclinical assessment of a novel hemodialysis catheter. Semin Dial. 2012;25:574-81 pubmed publisher..In vivo, the VectorFlow catheter had no detectable recirculation, compared to 6.7-12% for the Palindrome. The VectorFlow catheter was associated with an absence of detectable recirculation with favorable flow dynamics. ..
- Amaral F, Gross Hardt S, Timms D, Egger C, Steinseifer U, Schmitz Rode T. The spiral groove bearing as a mechanism for enhancing the secondary flow in a centrifugal rotary blood pump. Artif Organs. 2013;37:866-74 pubmed publisher..Finally, an improved washout can be achieved in a pulsatile environment due to the SGB ability to pump inwardly, even in the absence of a pressure head. ..
- Onyskiw P, Eniola Adefeso O. Effect of PEGylation on ligand-based targeting of drug carriers to the vascular wall in blood flow. Langmuir. 2013;29:11127-34 pubmed publisher..PEG spacers were shown to improve, reduce, or have no effect on the binding density of targeted-carriers depending on the PEG surface conformation, shear rate, and targeting moiety. ..
- Yang B, Li M, Chen B, Li T. Resistin involved in endothelial dysfunction among preclinical Tibetan male young adults. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst. 2012;13:420-5 pubmed publisher..05), LDL cholesterol (p<0.01), plasma resistin (p<0.01) and plasma ET-1 (p<0.01) were correlated with FMD. Resistin is involved in endothelial dysfunction in preclinical male young Tibetan adults. ..
- Teległów A, Bilski J, Dabrowski Z, Marchewka A, Jaskiewicz J, Gdula Argasińska J, et al. The effects of exercise in water at 4°C and 25°C on the rheological properties of blood and the composition of fatty acids in the erythrocyte membranes of laboratory rats. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2012;51:139-48 pubmed publisher..These changes in erythrocyte rheological properties can be treated as a protective reaction to thermal stress resulting in their improved deformability. ..
- Dreyer L, Krolitzki B, Autschbach R, Vogt P, Welte T, Ngezahayo A, et al. An advanced cone-and-plate reactor for the in vitro-application of shear stress on adherent cells. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2011;49:391-7 pubmed publisher..Flow conditions have been studied and a sufficient area of uniform wall shear stress could be shown. To exceed 10 dyn/cm2, we suggest an increase in medium viscosity. ..
- Bhavsar S, Schmitz Rode T, Steinseifer U. Numerical modeling of anisotropic fiber bundle behavior in oxygenators. Artif Organs. 2011;35:1095-102 pubmed publisher..CFD coupled with experimental validation can produce a powerful tool for oxygenator design and development. ..
- Horiuchi T, Masamune K, Iwase Y, Ymashita H, Tsukihara H, Motomura N, et al. Endoscope system with plasma flushing and coaxial round jet nozzle for off-pump cardiac surgery. Surg Endosc. 2011;25:2296-301 pubmed publisher..As a follow-up study, we plan to create a surgical flexible device for valve disease that can grasp, staple, and repair cardiac valves by endoscopic visualization. ..
- Wiewiora M, Maciej W, Sosada K, Krystyn S, Slowinska L, Piecuch J, et al. Sex-dependent differences in rheological properties and the relation of blood viscosity to erythrocyte aggregation indices among morbidly obese patients. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2010;44:259-67 pubmed publisher..We conclude that morbidly obese patients presented sex-dependent differences in some rheological properties. This study indicates a relation between erythrocyte aggregation indices and blood viscosity in obese populations. ..
- Wiernsperger N, Rapin J. Microvascular diseases: is a new era coming?. Cardiovasc Hematol Agents Med Chem. 2012;10:167-83 pubmed..Our review aims at showing that microcirculation is entering a new era, starting with rapidly increasing knowledge of its intimate functioning and worth specific pharmacological developments. ..
- Li S, Cole M, Forest R, Chilstrom M, Reinersman E, Jones M, et al. Are 2 smaller intravenous catheters as good as 1 larger intravenous catheter?. Am J Emerg Med. 2010;28:724-7 pubmed publisher..7 mL/min (95% CI, 1.3-10; P = .026). In healthy volunteers, administration of intravenous fluids through two 20-g IVs is faster than a single 18-g IV, although both approaches are markedly slower than the manufacturer's estimates. ..
- Yang Y, JÃ¤ger W, Neuss Radu M, Richter T. Mathematical modeling and simulation of the evolution of plaques in blood vessels. J Math Biol. 2016;72:973-96 pubmed publisher..The increase of stresses in the vessel wall can be computed. Medical treatment tries to prevent critical stress values, which may cause plaque rupture and its consequences. ..