Genomes and Genes
Summary: An orally active TESTOSTERONE 5-ALPHA-REDUCTASE inhibitor. It is used as a surgical alternative for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Publications311 found, 100 shown here
- The influence of finasteride on the development of prostate cancerIan M Thompson
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, USA
N Engl J Med 349:215-24. 2003Androgens are involved in the development of prostate cancer. Finasteride, an inhibitor of 5alpha-reductase, inhibits the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, the primary androgen in the prostate, and may reduce the risk of ..
- The long-term effect of doxazosin, finasteride, and combination therapy on the clinical progression of benign prostatic hyperplasiaJohn D McConnell
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9110, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2387-98. 2003..The long-term effect of these drugs, singly or combined, on the risk of clinical progression is unknown...
- Differential expression of steroid 5alpha-reductase isozymes and association with disease severity and angiogenic genes predict their biological role in prostate cancerKakoli Das
Cancer Science Institute, Department of Pathology, National University Health System, National University of Singapore, 28 Medical Drive, Singapore
Endocr Relat Cancer 17:757-70. 2010..PC was also examined in prostate cell lines, LNCaP, PC3, and RWPE-1, by treating them with the SRD5A inhibitors finasteride and dutasteride, followed by western blot, quantitative PCR, and ELISA chip array techniques...
- Characterization of the 5alpha-reductase-3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase complex in the human brainS Steckelbroeck
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Bonn, 53105 Bonn, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1324-31. 2001..g. the synthesis of neuroactive steroids or the catabolism of neurotoxic steroids, rather than control of reproductive functions...
- Alcohol consumption, finasteride, and prostate cancer risk: results from the Prostate Cancer Prevention TrialZhihong Gong
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94118 1944, USA
Cancer 115:3661-9. 2009..In this study, the authors examined the associations of total alcohol, type of alcoholic beverage, and drinking pattern with the risk of total, low-grade, and high-grade prostate cancer...
- Exogenous testosterone or testosterone with finasteride increases bone mineral density in older men with low serum testosteroneJohn K Amory
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:503-10. 2004..We hypothesized that the combination of T and finasteride (F), a 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor, might increase BMD in older men without adverse effects on the prostate...
- Pharmacologic basis for the enhanced efficacy of dutasteride against prostatic cancersYi Xu
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:4072-9. 2006..Therefore, the levels of expression SRD5A1 and SRD5A2 and the antiprostatic cancer growth response to finasteride, a selective SRD5A2 inhibitor, versus the dual SRD5A1 and SRD5A2 inhibitor, dutasteride, were compared.
- Human prostate tumor growth in athymic mice: inhibition by androgens and stimulation by finasterideY Umekita
Ben May Institute for Cancer Research, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:11802-7. 1996..Removal of TP or implantation of finasteride, a 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor, in nude mice bearing TP implants resulted in the regrowth of LNCaP 104-R2 ..
- Anxiolytic activity of progesterone in progesterone receptor knockout miceDoodipala S Reddy
Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences, North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, 4700 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Neuropharmacology 48:14-24. 2005..Pretreatment of PRKO mice with finasteride, a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor that blocks the conversion of progesterone to allopregnanolone, completely ..
- Prostate cancer incidence among finasteride and alpha-blocker users in the Finnish Prostate Cancer Screening TrialT J Murtola
School of Public Health, University of Tampere, FIN 33014 Tampere, Finland
Br J Cancer 101:843-8. 2009The Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial has shown a protective effect of finasteride on prostate cancer in low-risk men. It is uncertain whether similar results can be expected when finasteride is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Finasteride modifies the relation between serum C-peptide and prostate cancer risk: results from the Prostate Cancer Prevention TrialMarian L Neuhouser
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:279-89. 2010..study within the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT), a randomized, placebo-controlled trial testing finasteride versus placebo for primary prevention of prostate cancer...
- Medical therapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia: a review of the literatureG M Clifford
Public Health and Primary Care Research Unit, European Institute of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, UK
Eur Urol 38:2-19. 2000..prazosin, alfuzosin, indoramin, terazosin, doxazosin, and tamsulosin, that benefit patients by relaxing prostatic smooth muscle, and the anti-androgen, finasteride, that mediates its more long-term benefits by reducing prostate size.
- Detection bias due to the effect of finasteride on prostate volume: a modeling approach for analysis of the Prostate Cancer Prevention TrialYael C Cohen
Gamida Cell Ltd, Cell Therapy Technologies, Jerusalem, Israel
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:1366-74. 2007..8% reduction in the 7-year prevalence of prostate cancer among patients treated with finasteride (5 mg daily) compared with that among patients treated with placebo; however, a 25...
- Dutasteride, the dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, inhibits androgen action and promotes cell death in the LNCaP prostate cancer cell lineC B Lazier
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Prostate 58:130-44. 2004..Inhibition of 5alphaR activity with finasteride attenuates androgen action in men and animal models...
- GABRA2 alleles moderate the subjective effects of alcohol, which are attenuated by finasterideAmira Pierucci-Lagha
Department of Psychiatry, Alcohol Research Center, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 30:1193-203. 2005..We also examined whether finasteride (a 5-alpha steroid reductase inhibitor), which blocks the synthesis of some neuroactive steroids, reduces the ..
- Change in International Prostate Symptom storage subscore after long-term medical therapy in BPH patients: finasteride and alpha-blocker combination therapy in men with moderate-to-severe LUTS/BPH in KoreaJi Youl Lee
Department of Urology, St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Urology 77:171-6. 2011..of International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) storage subscore after combination therapy (α-blocker and finasteride) in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) consistent with moderate-to-severe benign prostatic ..
- A new look at the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor finasterideDeborah A Finn
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Research, Portland Alcohol Research Center, 97239, USA
CNS Drug Rev 12:53-76. 2006b>Finasteride is the first 5alpha-reductase inhibitor that received clinical approval for the treatment of human benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss)...
- Effects of family history and genetic polymorphism on the cost-effectiveness of chemoprevention with finasteride for prostate cancerShelby D Reed
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Department of Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27715, USA
J Urol 185:841-7. 2011..We estimated the cost-effectiveness of prostate cancer chemoprevention across risk groups defined by family history and number of risk alleles, and the cost-effectiveness of targeting chemoprevention to higher risk groups...
- Combined effect of terazosin and finasteride on apoptosis, cell proliferation, and transforming growth factor-beta expression in benign prostatic hyperplasiaD T Glassman
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Prostate 46:45-51. 2001..In this study, we examined the combined effect of finasteride and terazosin on the rate of apoptosis and cellular proliferation to investigate their potential synergy at the ..
- Decreased gene expression of steroid 5 alpha-reductase 2 in human prostate cancer: implications for finasteride therapy of prostate carcinomaJun Luo
Department of Urology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Prostate 57:134-9. 2003..The therapeutic influence of SRD5A2 inhibitor finasteride on prostate cancer is currently unknown...
- The importance of dual 5alpha-reductase inhibition in the treatment of male pattern hair loss: results of a randomized placebo-controlled study of dutasteride versus finasterideElise A Olsen
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 55:1014-23. 2006..Male pattern hair loss (MPHL) is a potentially reversible condition in which dihydrotestosterone is an important etiologic factor...
- Combination therapy with doxazosin and finasteride for benign prostatic hyperplasia in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms and a baseline total prostate volume of 25 ml or greaterSteven A Kaplan
Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
J Urol 175:217-20; discussion 220-1. 2006..We examined data from the Medical Therapy of Prostatic Symptoms trial to determine the relationship between baseline TPV and the effect of medical therapy in men with LUTS secondary to BPH...
- Combination therapy with rofecoxib and finasteride in the treatment of men with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)Franco Di Silverio
Department Urology, University La Sapienza, Urology U Bracci, V Policlinico, 00161 Rome, Italy
Eur Urol 47:72-8; discussion 78-9. 2005..The aim of this study is to analyze whether combination therapy with rofecoxib, a COX-2 inhibitor, and finasteride offers an advantage compared to finasteride monotherapy in patients with BPH.
- Polarographic behavior and determination of finasterideSawsan M Amer
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Kasr El Eini Street, 11562 Cairo, Egypt
Farmaco 58:159-63. 2003The polarographic behavior of finasteride at the dropping mercury electrode (DME) was studied adopting direct current (DC(t)), alternating current (AC(t)) and differential-pulse polarography (DPP) modes...
- Morphometric-stereological and functional epididymal alterations and a decrease in fertility in rats treated with finasteride and after a 30-day post-treatment recovery periodPatrick Vianna Garcia
Department of Histology and Embryology, Institute of Biology, State University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Fertil Steril 97:1444-51. 2012To evaluate morphometric-stereological changes in the epididymal caput, sperm quality, and fertility parameters in rats treated with finasteride and after a 30-day post-treatment recovery period.
- Apoptotic and proliferative index after Alpha-1-adrenoceptor antagonist and/or finasteride treatment in benign prostatic hyperplasiaTibet Erdogru
Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey
Urol Int 69:287-92. 2002..The influence of alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonist (alpha1-ARA), 5-alpha reductase inhibitor and their combination on prostatic cell apoptotic and proliferative indices of benign hyperplastic prostate gland were investigated...
- Pharmacokinetic parameters and mechanisms of inhibition of rat type 1 and 2 steroid 5alpha-reductases: determinants for different in vivo activities of GI198745 and finasteride in the ratJ D Stuart
Division of Biochemistry, Glaxo Wellcome Inc, 5 Moore Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 62:933-42. 2001..has been shown for the inhibitor 17beta-(N-tert-butylcarbamoyl)-4-aza-5alpha-androst-1-en-3-one (finasteride), a current therapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Hidradenitis suppurativa treated with finasterideM A Joseph
Department of Dermatology, St John s Medical College Hospital, Bangalore, India
J Dermatolog Treat 16:75-8. 2005..b>Finasteride, an inhibitor of type II 5a reductase, has been reported to be effective in recalcitrant HS.
- Finasteride-associated male infertilityKoji Chiba
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery Related, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Fertil Steril 95:1786.e9-11. 2011To describe a male patient with finasteride-associated infertility.
- Inhibition of rat alpha-reductases by finasteride: evidence for isozyme differences in the mechanism of inhibitionB Azzolina
Department of Enzymology, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, U S A
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 61:55-64. 1997The mechanism of inhibition of the rat types 1 and 2 5alpha-reductase by finasteride was investigated using recombinantly expressed enzymes...
- Overexpression of aldo-keto reductase 1C3 (AKR1C3) in LNCaP cells diverts androgen metabolism towards testosterone resulting in resistance to the 5α-reductase inhibitor finasterideMichael C Byrns
Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, Department of Pharmacology, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 130:7-15. 2012..When 5α-reductase was inhibited by finasteride, the production of testosterone-17β-glucuronide was further elevated in LNCaP-AKR1C3 cells...
- Long-term treatment with finasteride improves clinical progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia in men with an enlarged versus a smaller prostate: data from the MTOPS trialSteven A Kaplan
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, 1300 York Ave, F9 West, Box 261, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Urol 185:1369-73. 2011This post hoc analysis of the Medical Therapy of Prostatic Symptoms trial examined the effect of finasteride alone compared to placebo on the clinical progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia in men with a baseline prostate volume ..
- Exposure of Xenopus laevis tadpoles to finasteride, an inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase activity, impairs spermatogenesis and alters hypophyseal feedback mechanismsR Urbatzka
Department of Inland Fisheries, IGB, Leibniz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries, Berlin, Germany
J Mol Endocrinol 43:209-19. 2009..the involvement of 5-alpha reductases in maturation of gametes in amphibians, Xenopus laevis was exposed to finasteride (FIN), a known inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase enzyme activity...
- Structural study of polymorphs and solvates of finasterideAbdullah Othman
Department of Chemistry, University of Durham, South Road, Durham DH1 3LE, UK
J Pharm Sci 96:1380-97. 2007NMR and XRD data are reported for several new forms of finasteride, including the results of complete structure determinations for three solvates...
- LC determination of finasteride and its application to storage stability studiesA A Syed
Department of Studies in Chemistry, University of Mysore, Manasagangothri, 570 006, Mysore, India
J Pharm Biomed Anal 25:1015-9. 2001..of a simple, sensitive, rapid, and reproducible reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatographic assay of finasteride (proscar) in preformulation, and its application to forced degradation studies has been carried out...
- Prevention of prostate cancer with finasteride: US/European perspectiveIan M Thompson
University of Texas Health Science Center, Division of Urology, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Eur Urol 44:650-5. 2003..The results of the National Cancer Institute-sponsored Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial demonstrate that finasteride causes a substantial risk reduction across all known risk groups...
- Hair loss in women with hyperandrogenism: four cases responding to finasterideKid Wan Shum
Department of Dermatology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
J Am Acad Dermatol 47:733-9. 2002Oral finasteride, a type II 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor, has been shown to increase hair growth and slow progression of thinning in men with androgenetic or male pattern balding (Hamiliton type) but has no affect on hair growth in ..
- Finasteride-induced secondary infertility associated with sperm DNA damageHin Yu Vincent Tu
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Fertil Steril 95:2125.e13-4. 2011To report a case of low-dose finasteride-induced secondary infertility with associated elevated sperm DNA fragmentation index (DFI) and otherwise normal semen parameters.
- Finasteride for treatment of refractory hemospermia: prospective placebo-controlled studyAbdelbasset A Badawy
Sohag Faculty of Medicine, Sohag University, Sohag, Egypt
Int Urol Nephrol 44:371-5. 2012b>Finasteride had been used to control frequent hematuria due to BPH...
- Saturable binding of finasteride to steroid 5alpha-reductase as determinant of nonlinear pharmacokineticsRie Suzuki
The University of Tokyo, Japan
Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 25:208-13. 2010b>Finasteride, a steroid 5alpha-reductase (5alphaR) inhibitor, is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia and androgenetic alopecia...
- Long-term treatment with finasteride results in a clinically significant reduction in total prostate volume compared to placebo over the full range of baseline prostate sizes in men enrolled in the MTOPS trialSteven A Kaplan
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Urol 180:1030-2; discussion 1032-3. 2008..examined data from the MTOPS (Medical Therapy of Prostatic Symptoms) trial to determine the effect of long-term finasteride treatment, either alone or in combination with doxazosin, on total prostate volume across the full range of ..
- Voltammetric reduction of finasteride at mercury electrode and its determination in tabletsA Alvarez-Lueje
Bioelectrochemistry Laboratory, Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences Faculty, University of Chile, P O Box 233, Santiago 1, Chile
Talanta 75:691-6. 2008b>Finasteride in hydroalcoholic solutions (ethanol/Britton-Robinson buffer, 30/70) exhibits cathodic response in a wide range of pH (-0.5 to 12) using differential pulse (DPP) and test polarography (TP)...
- Blood loss during transurethral resection of the prostate after 3 months of treatment with finasterideL Sandfeldt
Department of Urology, Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Urology 58:972-6. 2001OBJECTIVES: To study whether pretreatment with finasteride, compared with placebo, reduces the blood loss, operating time, amount of irrigating fluid absorbed, resources used, and other exploratory indexes of extensive surgery during ..
- Pre-surgical finasteride therapy in patients treated endoscopically for benign prostatic hyperplasiaG Crea
Department of Urology, University Hospital of Messina, Messina, Italy
Urol Int 74:51-3. 2005..Recent studies have also shown that finasteride reduces angiogenesis and prostatic bleeding associated with BPH...
- Efficacy and tolerability of finasteride 1 mg in men aged 41 to 60 years with male pattern hair lossDavid A Whiting
Dallas Associated Dermatologists, 3600 Gaston Avenue, 1051 LB76, TX 75246, USA
Eur J Dermatol 13:150-60. 2003..parallel-group, multicenter study of 424 men was conducted to determine the efficacy and tolerability of finasteride 1 mg on hair growth/loss in men aged 41 to 60 years with mild-to-moderate, predominantly vertex male pattern ..
- Persistent sexual side effects of finasteride for male pattern hair lossMichael S Irwig
Center for Andrology and Division of Endocrinology, The George Washington University, Washington, DC 20037, USA
J Sex Med 8:1747-53. 2011b>Finasteride has been associated with reversible adverse sexual side effects in multiple randomized, controlled trials for the treatment of male pattern hair loss (MPHL)...
- Activation of caspases-3, -6, and -9 during finasteride treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasiaAline Bozec
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U 407, Faculté de médecine Lyon Sud, BP 12, 69921 Oullins Cedex, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:17-25. 2005..Although inhibitors of 5alpha-reductase such as finasteride have been shown to reduce the size of BPH tissues by inducing apoptosis, their mechanisms of action still ..
- Induction of apoptosis in rat ventral prostate by finasteride is associated with alteration in MAP kinase pathways and Bcl-2 related family of proteinsHung Huynh
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Division of Cellular and Molecular Research, National Cancer Centre of Singapore, Singapore 169610
Int J Oncol 20:1297-303. 2002b>Finasteride is widely used in treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Development and validation of a new gas flame ionization detector method for the determination of finasteride in tabletsSerap Saglik
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Istanbul University, Istanbul 34452, Turkey
Anal Biochem 352:260-4. 2006..method based on gas chromatography with flame ionization detection is described for the determination of finasteride in tablets...
- Ketocazole as an adjunct to finasteride in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in menB S Hugo Perez
California College of Podiatric Medicine, 371 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA
Med Hypotheses 62:112-5. 2004..It is proposed that using ketoconazole 2% shampoo as an adjunct to finasteride treatment could lead to a more complete inhibition of DHT and thus better treat AGA.
- Finasteride effects on hypoxia and angiogenetic markers in benign prostatic hyperplasiaAlexandros G Lekas
Department of Urology, General Hospital of Nikea, Piraeus, Greece
Urology 68:436-41. 2006To assess the effects of finasteride on angiogenetic and hypoxia markers in benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- A prospective, 1-year trial using saw palmetto versus finasteride in the treatment of category III prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeSteven A Kaplan
Department of Urology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Urol 171:284-8. 2004This study was designed to assess the safety and efficacy of saw palmetto or finasteride in men with category III prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS).
- Finasteride reduces the risk of incident clinical benign prostatic hyperplasiaJ Kellogg Parsons
Division of Urologic Oncology, Moores Comprehensive Cancer Center and Section of Urology, San Diego Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0987, USA
Eur Urol 62:234-41. 2012..Despite the high prevalence of clinical benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) among older men, there remains a notable absence of studies focused on BPH prevention...
- Spermatozoa and chronic treatment with finasteride: a TEM and FISH studyGiulia Collodel
Department of Surgery, Biology Section, Interdepartmental Centre for Research and Therapy of Male Infertility, University of Siena, Policlinico Le Scotte, Viale Bracci 14, 53100 Siena, Italy
Arch Androl 53:229-33. 2007b>Finasteride is a specific inhibitor of the 5alpha reductase enzyme originally approved for the treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy and also for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (AGA) in men at a dose of 1 mg/day...
- Long-term treatment with finasteride 1 mg decreases the likelihood of developing further visible hair loss in men with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss)Keith D Kaufman
Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Eur J Dermatol 18:400-6. 2008..Our objectives were to examine whether finasteride 1 mg treatment decreases the likelihood of developing further visible hair loss in men with AGA...
- The rationale for inhibiting 5alpha-reductase isoenzymes in the prevention and treatment of prostate cancerDonald J Tindall
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Urol 179:1235-42. 2008..Dihydrotestosterone, the primary prostatic androgen, is transformed from testosterone by types 1 and 2 5alpha-reductase and, thus, a potential therapeutic benefit could be achieved through the inhibition of 5alpha-reductase...
- Does the level of prostate cancer risk affect cancer prevention with finasteride?Ian M Thompson
Department of Urology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
Urology 71:854-7. 2008b>Finasteride reduced the risk of prostate cancer by 24.8% in the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT). Whether this represents treatment or prevention and who is most likely to benefit are unknown...
- Suppression of spermatogenesis with desogestrel and testosterone pellets is not enhanced by addition of finasterideD Kinniburgh
Contraceptive Development Network, Centre for Reproductive Biology, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Androl 22:88-95. 2001..We therefore investigated whether the addition of finasteride, a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, to a prototype male hormonal contraceptive regimen consisting of desogestrel (..
- Impact of finasteride treatment on perioperative bleeding before transurethral resection of the prostate: a prospective randomized studyLars Lund
Department of Urology, Viborg Hospital, Viborg, Denmark
Scand J Urol Nephrol 39:160-2. 2005In this preliminary, randomized study, 35 men were pretreated for 3 months with finasteride or placebo before transurethral resection of the prostate...
- The prevention of prostate cancer--the dilemma continuesPeter T Scardino
N Engl J Med 349:297-9. 2003
- Relative safety and efficacy of finasteride for treatment of hirsutismKara A Townsend
Auburn University, Harrison School of Pharmacy, 1504 Springhill Avenue, Suite 1800, Mobile, AL 36604 3273, USA
Ann Pharmacother 38:1070-3. 2004To evaluate the relative safety and efficacy of finasteride for treatment of hirsutism related to hyperandrogenism in women.
- Seizure exacerbation associated with inhibition of progesterone metabolismAndrew G Herzog
Harvard Neuroendocrine Unit, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Ann Neurol 53:390-1. 2003..We report a case in which efficacy was eliminated during concomitant treatment with a reductase inhibitor. The observation suggests that a reduced metabolite, rather than progesterone itself, was responsible for improved seizure control...
- Alteration of ethanol drinking in mice via modulation of the GABA(A) receptor with ganaxolone, finasteride, and gaboxadolMarcia J Ramaker
Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:1994-2007. 2011..altered with the synthetic GABAergic neurosteroid ganaxolone (GAN), with an inhibitor of neurosteroid synthesis (finasteride [FIN]), or a GABA(A) receptor agonist with some selectivity at extrasynaptic receptors (gaboxadol HCL [THIP]).
- Exogenous testosterone (T) alone or with finasteride increases physical performance, grip strength, and lean body mass in older men with low serum TStephanie T Page
Wesley Woods Health Center, 1841 Clifton Road Northeast, Atlanta, Georgia 30329 5102, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1502-10. 2005..Moreover, concerns exist about the impact of T therapy on the prostate in older men. The administration of finasteride (F), which partially blocks the conversion of T to the more potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone, attenuates ..
- Inhibition of human steroid 5beta-reductase (AKR1D1) by finasteride and structure of the enzyme-inhibitor complexJason E Drury
Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6084, USA
J Biol Chem 284:19786-90. 2009..The first step in functionalization of the A-ring is mediated in humans by steroid 5alpha- or 5beta-reductase. Finasteride is a mechanism-based inactivator of 5alpha-reductase type 2 with subnanomolar affinity and is widely used as a ..
- Finasteride decreases the risk of prostatic intraepithelial neoplasiaIan M Thompson
Department of Urology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and Southwest Oncology Group, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Urol 178:107-9; discussion 110. 2007..In the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial we evaluated the impact of finasteride on the risk of a needle biopsy diagnosis of high grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia.
- Sex differences in the effect of finasteride on acute ethanol withdrawal severity in C57BL/6J and DBA/2J miceR E Gorin-Meyer
Department of Behavioral Neuroscience L 470, Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine, and Portland Alcohol Research Center, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Research, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Neuroscience 146:1302-15. 2007..The 5alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride can block the formation of ALLO and other GABAergic neurosteroids and also reduce certain effects of EtOH...
- Depression circumstantially related to the administration of finasteride for androgenetic alopeciaGianfranco Altomare
Department of Dermatology, Ospedale Maggiore IRCCS, University of Milan, Italy
J Dermatol 29:665-9. 2002..23 (17 males, 5 females) who developed a mood disturbance (moderate to severe depression) during treatment with finasteride, 1 mg/day orally, for androgenetic alopecia (Hamilton subtypes III-V; Ludwig subtypes I-II)...
- Antiandrogenic effects of novel androgen synthesis inhibitors on hormone-dependent prostate cancerB J Long
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201 1559, USA
Cancer Res 60:6630-40. 2000..Therefore, compounds such as L-39, which have multifunctional activities, hold promise for the treatment of androgen-dependent prostate tumors...
- Efficacy and safety of finasteride therapy for androgenetic alopecia: a systematic reviewJosé Manuel Mella
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Aleman, Avenue Pueyrredón 1640, CP 1118, CABA, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Arch Dermatol 146:1141-50. 2010..Androgenetic alopecia is the most common form of alopecia in men...
- 5alpha-Reductase inhibitor treatment of prostatic diseases: background and practical implicationsJ Dörsam
St Theresienkrankenhaus, Nurnberg, Germany
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 12:130-6. 2009..The 5ARIs Finasteride and Dutasteride, which specifically inhibit the production of dihydrotestosterone by acting as competitive ..
- Use of cyproterone acetate, finasteride, and spironolactone to treat idiopathic hirsutismFranco Lumachi
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padua, School of Medicine, Padova, Italy
Fertil Steril 79:942-6. 2003To compare the effectiveness of cyproterone acetate, finasteride, and spironolactone in the treatment of idiopathic hirsutism.
- Combined low-dose flutamide plus finasteride vs low-dose flutamide monotherapy for recurrent prostate cancer: a comparative analysis of two phase II trials with a long-term follow-upLionel L Banez
Division of Urologic Surgery and the Duke Prostate Center, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
BJU Int 104:310-4. 2009To compare the efficacy and tolerability of peripheral androgen blockade using combined low-dose flutamide plus finasteride vs low-dose flutamide monotherapy for treating biochemical relapse after the definitive management of prostate ..
- Finasteride, prostate cancer, and weight gain: evidence for genetic or environmental factors that affect cancer outcomes during finasteride treatmentYoonju Song
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Prostate 68:281-6. 2008b>Finasteride affects both prostate cancer risk and body weight. We examined whether, during 7 years of finasteride treatment, the magnitude of weight change was associated with the diagnosis of no, low-, or high-grade cancer.
- Expression of E-SOD, GPX5 mRNAs and immunoexpression of Cu/ZnSOD in epididymal epithelial cells of finasteride-treated ratsA Kolasa
Department of Histology and Embryology, Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
Andrologia 40:303-11. 2008..glutathione peroxidase 5 (GPX5), in epithelial cells of caput and cauda epididymis of rats treated with finasteride, a steroid-based inhibitor of 5alpha-reductase. The 5alpha-reductase is known to exist in two isoforms...
- Serum steroid and sex hormone-binding globulin concentrations and the risk of incident benign prostatic hyperplasia: results from the prostate cancer prevention trialAlan R Kristal
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, M4 B402, PO Box 19024, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Am J Epidemiol 168:1416-24. 2008..Genetic or environmental factors that affect the activity of 5-alpha-reductase may be important in the development of symptomatic BPH...
- Finasteride improves the sensitivity of digital rectal examination for prostate cancer detectionIan M Thompson
Department of Urology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Urol 177:1749-52. 2007..We previously presented data from the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial indicating that finasteride improves the performance characteristics of prostate specific antigen for cancer detection...
- Mechanism of salutary effects of finasteride on post-traumatic immune/inflammatory response: upregulation of estradiol synthesisMichael Frink
Center for Surgical Research and Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0019, USA
Ann Surg 246:836-43. 2007The aim of this study was to evaluate whether pretreatment with finasteride, a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, improves immune functions after trauma-hemorrhage.
- Treatment of recurrent priapism in sickle cell anemia with finasteride: a new approachDaibes Rachid-Filho
Souza Aguiar Municipal Hospital, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Urology 74:1054-7. 2009To determine whether the use of finasteride controls recurrent priapism in patients with sickle cell anemia.
- Knowledge and use of finasteride for the prevention of prostate cancerRobert J Hamilton
Division of Urologic Surgery, Department ofSurgery, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:2164-71. 2010..The Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) showed that finasteride was effective in reducing the incidence of prostate cancer...
- Comparison of dutasteride and finasteride for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia: the Enlarged Prostate International Comparator Study (EPICS)J Curtis Nickel
Department of Urology, Queen s University Kingston, ON, Canada
BJU Int 108:388-94. 2011To assess the efficacy and safety of dutasteride compared with finasteride in treating men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) for 12 months.
- Finasteride versus cyproterone acetate-estrogen regimens in the treatment of hirsutismA Beigi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Arash Maternity Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 87:29-33. 2004To compare the clinical and hormonal effects of finasteride and a combination regimen of cyproterone acetate (CPA) plus ethinyl estradiol (EE2) in the treatment of hirsutism.
- An open, randomized, comparative study of oral finasteride and 5% topical minoxidil in male androgenetic alopeciaErcan Arca
Department of Dermatology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, School of Medicine, Etlik Ankara, Turkey
Dermatology 209:117-25. 2004..In this open, randomized and comparative study we evaluated the efficacy of oral finasteride and 5% topical minoxidil treatment for 12 months in 65 male patients with mild to severe AGA.
- Finasteride and bicalutamide as primary hormonal therapy in patients with advanced adenocarcinoma of the prostateM H Tay
Lank Center for Genitourinary Oncology, Division of Solid Tumor Oncology, Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ann Oncol 15:974-8. 2004..Effective, less toxic therapies are needed. This study examined whether the addition of finasteride to high-dose bicalutamide enhanced disease control, as measured by additional decreases in serum prostate-..
- Lifetime implications and cost-effectiveness of using finasteride to prevent prostate cancerSteven B Zeliadt
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Wash 98109, USA
Am J Med 118:850-7. 2005We estimate the lifetime implications of daily treatment with finasteride following the results of the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT)...
- Suppressive effects of antiandrogens, finasteride and flutamide on development of prostatic lesions in a transgenic rat modelY M Cho
Department of Experimental Pathology and Tumor Biology, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya, Japan
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 10:378-83. 2007..b>Finasteride and flutamide were administered to 10-week-old TG rats five times a week for 2, 5 and 7 weeks...
- Do the benefits of finasteride outweigh the risks in the prostate cancer prevention trial?Steven Grover
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Centre for the Analysis of Cost Effective Care, The Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Urol 175:934-8; discussion 938. 2006The Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial demonstrated that finasteride could reduce the incidence of prostate cancer by 25%...
- Finasteride to prevent prostate cancer: should all men or only a high-risk subgroup be treated?Andrew J Vickers
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 307 East 63rd St, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:1112-6. 2010PURPOSE Finasteride has been shown to reduce the incidence of prostate cancer. Yet the use of finasteride remains low, likely because of the risk of adverse effects...
- Pharmacogenetic analysis of human steroid 5 alpha reductase type II: comparison of finasteride and dutasterideNick Makridakis
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Institute for Genetic Medicine, Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, 2250 Alcazar Street, IGM240, Los Angeles, California 90089 9075, USA
J Mol Endocrinol 34:617-23. 2005..Both finasteride and dutasteride are competitive inhibitors of the type II steroid 5 alpha-reductase that have been effectively ..
- Comparison of tamsulosin and finasteride for lower urinary tract symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia in Korean patientsE Lee
Department of Urology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Int Med Res 30:584-90. 2002Tamsulosin (0.2 mg) and finasteride (5 mg) once daily for 24 weeks were compared in a single-blind, randomized study as initial treatments for lower urinary tract symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in 205 Korean ..
- Androgen metabolism in the prostate of the finasteride-treated, adult rat: a possible explanation for the differential action of testosterone and 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone during development of the male urogenital tractF W George
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 8857, USA
Endocrinology 138:871-7. 1997..androstenedione, and 5 alpha-DHT, were measured in prostate tissue and in blood of 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor (finasteride)-treated adult male rats...
- Comparison of Diane 35 and Diane 35 plus finasteride in the treatment of hirsutismY Sahin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Fertil Steril 75:496-500. 2001..safety of the combination of Diane 35 (2 mg of cyproterone acetate, and 35 microg of ethinyl estradiol) plus finasteride (5 mg), and Diane 35 alone in the treatment of hirsutism. DESIGN: Prospective randomized clinical study...
- Discontinuation of alpha-blockade after initial treatment with finasteride and doxazosin for bladder outlet obstructionK C Baldwin
Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Urol Int 66:84-8. 2001..with symptomatic bladder outlet obstruction and moderately enlarged prostates can receive durable relief from finasteride. However, the delayed onset of action has led many clinicians to prescribe an alpha-blocker in addition to ..
- Clinical application of 5alpha-reductase inhibitorsA Cilotti
Department of Clinical Physiopathology, Endocrine Unit, University of Florence, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 24:199-203. 2001..steroidal and non-steroidal inhibitors have been synthesized and experimented in pharmacological models, only finasteride has been extensively used for clinical purposes...
- Effect of 1 mg/day finasteride on concentrations of serum prostate-specific antigen in men with androgenic alopecia: a randomised controlled trialAnthony V D'Amico
Department of Radiation Oncology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Dana Faber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Lancet Oncol 8:21-5. 2007Use of 5 mg/day finasteride (Proscar) for benign prostatic hyperplasia is known to affect serum concentrations of prostate-specific antigen (PSA)...
- Long-term effects of finasteride on prostate specific antigen levels: results from the prostate cancer prevention trialRuth D Etzioni
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
J Urol 174:877-81. 2005Studies have shown that finasteride decreases prostate specific antigen (PSA) by approximately 50% during the first 12 months of use...
- Changes in molecular forms of prostate-specific antigen during treatment with finasterideF Espana
Research Center and Department of Urology, La Fe University Hospital, Valencia, Spain
BJU Int 90:672-7. 2002To study the influence of finasteride treatment on the molecular forms of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Comparison of the pharmacological effects of a novel selective androgen receptor modulator, the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride, and the antiandrogen hydroxyflutamide in intact rats: new approach for benign prostate hyperplasiaWenqing Gao
Division of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Endocrinology 145:5420-8. 2004..the tissue selectivity of S-1 in intact male rats compared with that of hydroxyflutamide (antiandrogen) and finasteride (5alpha-reductase inhibitor), two major drugs used for androgen suppression treatment of BPH...
- A large retrospective analysis of acute urinary retention and prostate-related surgery in BPH patients treated with 5-alpha reductase inhibitors: dutasteride versus finasterideMuta M Issa
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Manag Care 13:S10-6. 2007..5-alpha reductase inhibitor (5ARI) therapy and to compare the 2 currently available 5ARIs, dutasteride and finasteride, in a real-world, managed care setting...
- Fadrozole and finasteride exposures modulate sex steroid- and thyroid hormone-related gene expression in Silurana (Xenopus) tropicalis early larval developmentValérie S Langlois
Centre for Advanced Research in Environmental Genomics, Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Gen Comp Endocrinol 166:417-27. 2010..Exposures to fadrozole (an aromatase inhibitor; 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0 microM) and finasteride (a putative 5-reductase inhibitor; 25, 50 and 100 microM) were designed to assess the consequences of ..
- Can effect of finasteride on prostate-specific antigen be used to decrease repeat prostate biopsy?Liann Nicole Handel
Department of Urology, Brown University Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, Rhode Island 02904, USA
Urology 68:1220-3. 2006..b>Finasteride decreases serum PSA by approximately 50%...
- Analysis of MTOPS Tissue Study DataKathleen C Torkko; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study ended in 2002 and found that finasteride and doxazosin worked best in combination to prevent disease progression...
- Impact of Puberty on the Kidney in DiabetesPASCALE LANE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Some groups will also receive treatment with testosterone, flutamide, an androgen receptor blocker, or finasteride, which blocks conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone...
- Estrogen Metabolism and Action in Prostate Cancer Etiology in PCPTAshraful Hoque; Fiscal Year: 2007..Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) (N = 18,882 randomized men) of the 5a-reductase (SRD5A2) inhibitor finasteride (versus placebo) found that inhibiting SRD5A2 from converting testosterone into dihydrotestosterone reduced ..
- Progesterone Receptors and Seizure SusceptibilityDOODIPALA REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 1 will examine the rate of hippocampus kindling in WT and PRKO mice, with and without P and/or finasteride treatment, as an indicator of epileptogenesis...
- Progesterone Receptors and Seizure SusceptibilityDoodipala Samba Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aim 1 will examine the rate of hippocampus kindling in WT and PRKO mice, with and without P and/or finasteride treatment, as an indicator of epileptogenesis...
- Paracrine Regulation of BPH PathogenesisSimon W Hayward; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies have given rise to the development of 51-reductase inhibitors such as finasteride and dutasteride...
- PATTERNS OF BEHAVIORAL AND HORMONAL DEVELOPMENTSTEPHEN GLICKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..involving both Nissl stains and ICC for various neuropeptides, will examine fetal and adult tissues from the hyena CNS, including tissues derived from mature hyenas that were exposed to flutamide/finasteride in utero.
- Genetic profiling in PCPT: prostate cancer risk, PSA levels, and chemopreventionJIANFENG contact XU; Fiscal Year: 2010..to improve the predictive performance for PCa and aggressive PCa, and 4) the chemoprevention effect of finasteride is different among men with different genetic risks and the reduction in PCa diagnosis by finasteride is larger ..
- Selenium genetic variation in selenoenzymes and prostate cancerUlrike Peters; Fiscal Year: 2007..and Prostate Cancer" within the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) a large trial that tested finasteride for prevention of prostate cancer...
- SAW PALMETTO EXTRACT IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAAndrew Avins; Fiscal Year: 2003..medical conditions in middle-aged and elderly men, is generally treated with alpha-adrenergic blocking agents, finasteride, surgical interventions, or no specific therapy ("watchful waiting")...