Genomes and Genes
Summary: An orally active TESTOSTERONE 5-ALPHA-REDUCTASE inhibitor. It is used as a surgical alternative for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Publications339 found, 100 shown here
- The influence of finasteride on the development of prostate cancerIan M Thompson
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, USA
N Engl J Med 349:215-24. 2003Androgens are involved in the development of prostate cancer. Finasteride, an inhibitor of 5alpha-reductase, inhibits the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, the primary androgen in the prostate, and may reduce the risk of ..
- The long-term effect of doxazosin, finasteride, and combination therapy on the clinical progression of benign prostatic hyperplasiaJohn D McConnell
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9110, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2387-98. 2003..The long-term effect of these drugs, singly or combined, on the risk of clinical progression is unknown...
- Exogenous testosterone (T) alone or with finasteride increases physical performance, grip strength, and lean body mass in older men with low serum TStephanie T Page
Wesley Woods Health Center, 1841 Clifton Road Northeast, Atlanta, Georgia 30329 5102, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1502-10. 2005..Moreover, concerns exist about the impact of T therapy on the prostate in older men. The administration of finasteride (F), which partially blocks the conversion of T to the more potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone, attenuates ..
- Exogenous testosterone or testosterone with finasteride increases bone mineral density in older men with low serum testosteroneJohn K Amory
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:503-10. 2004..We hypothesized that the combination of T and finasteride (F), a 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor, might increase BMD in older men without adverse effects on the prostate...
- Effect of finasteride on the sensitivity of PSA for detecting prostate cancerIan M Thompson
Department of Urology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:1128-33. 2006In the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT), men receiving finasteride had a 24.8% lower risk of prostate cancer than men receiving placebo but a higher risk of high-grade cancer...
- Musculoskeletal and prostate effects of combined testosterone and finasteride administration in older hypogonadal men: a randomized, controlled trialStephen E Borst
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Malcom Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Gainesville, Florida
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 306:E433-42. 2014..b>Finasteride (type II 5α-reductase inhibitor) lowers DHT and is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Overexpression of aldo-keto reductase 1C3 (AKR1C3) in LNCaP cells diverts androgen metabolism towards testosterone resulting in resistance to the 5α-reductase inhibitor finasterideMichael C Byrns
Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, Department of Pharmacology, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 130:7-15. 2012..When 5α-reductase was inhibited by finasteride, the production of testosterone-17β-glucuronide was further elevated in LNCaP-AKR1C3 cells...
- Characterization of the 5alpha-reductase-3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase complex in the human brainS Steckelbroeck
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Bonn, 53105 Bonn, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1324-31. 2001..g. the synthesis of neuroactive steroids or the catabolism of neurotoxic steroids, rather than control of reproductive functions...
- Alcohol consumption, finasteride, and prostate cancer risk: results from the Prostate Cancer Prevention TrialZhihong Gong
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94118 1944, USA
Cancer 115:3661-9. 2009..In this study, the authors examined the associations of total alcohol, type of alcoholic beverage, and drinking pattern with the risk of total, low-grade, and high-grade prostate cancer...
- Finasteride reduces the risk of incident clinical benign prostatic hyperplasiaJ Kellogg Parsons
Division of Urologic Oncology, Moores Comprehensive Cancer Center and Section of Urology, San Diego Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0987, USA
Eur Urol 62:234-41. 2012..Despite the high prevalence of clinical benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) among older men, there remains a notable absence of studies focused on BPH prevention...
- Pharmacologic basis for the enhanced efficacy of dutasteride against prostatic cancersYi Xu
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:4072-9. 2006..Therefore, the levels of expression SRD5A1 and SRD5A2 and the antiprostatic cancer growth response to finasteride, a selective SRD5A2 inhibitor, versus the dual SRD5A1 and SRD5A2 inhibitor, dutasteride, were compared.
- Effects of finasteride on apoptosis and regulation of the human hair cycleMarty E Sawaya
ARATEC Research, Ocala, Florida 34478, USA
J Cutan Med Surg 6:1-9. 2002..In androgenetic alopecia (AGA), the exact location and control of key players in the apoptotic pathways remains obscure...
- Development of liposomal systems of finasteride for topical applications: design, characterization, and in vitro evaluationRajiv Kumar
University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Pharm Dev Technol 12:591-601. 2007b>Finasteride (FNS) is a "drug of choice" for benign prostate hypertrophy and prostate cancer...
- Prevention of prostate cancer with finasteride: US/European perspectiveIan M Thompson
University of Texas Health Science Center, Division of Urology, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Eur Urol 44:650-5. 2003..The results of the National Cancer Institute-sponsored Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial demonstrate that finasteride causes a substantial risk reduction across all known risk groups...
- Human prostate tumor growth in athymic mice: inhibition by androgens and stimulation by finasterideY Umekita
Ben May Institute for Cancer Research, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:11802-7. 1996..Removal of TP or implantation of finasteride, a 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor, in nude mice bearing TP implants resulted in the regrowth of LNCaP 104-R2 ..
- Medical therapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia: a review of the literatureG M Clifford
Public Health and Primary Care Research Unit, European Institute of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, UK
Eur Urol 38:2-19. 2000..prazosin, alfuzosin, indoramin, terazosin, doxazosin, and tamsulosin, that benefit patients by relaxing prostatic smooth muscle, and the anti-androgen, finasteride, that mediates its more long-term benefits by reducing prostate size.
- Prostate cancer incidence among finasteride and alpha-blocker users in the Finnish Prostate Cancer Screening TrialT J Murtola
School of Public Health, University of Tampere, FIN 33014 Tampere, Finland
Br J Cancer 101:843-8. 2009The Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial has shown a protective effect of finasteride on prostate cancer in low-risk men. It is uncertain whether similar results can be expected when finasteride is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- A new look at the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor finasterideDeborah A Finn
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Research, Portland Alcohol Research Center, 97239, USA
CNS Drug Rev 12:53-76. 2006b>Finasteride is the first 5alpha-reductase inhibitor that received clinical approval for the treatment of human benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss)...
- GABRA2 alleles moderate the subjective effects of alcohol, which are attenuated by finasterideAmira Pierucci-Lagha
Department of Psychiatry, Alcohol Research Center, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 30:1193-203. 2005..We also examined whether finasteride (a 5-alpha steroid reductase inhibitor), which blocks the synthesis of some neuroactive steroids, reduces the ..
- Change in International Prostate Symptom storage subscore after long-term medical therapy in BPH patients: finasteride and alpha-blocker combination therapy in men with moderate-to-severe LUTS/BPH in KoreaJi Youl Lee
Department of Urology, St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Urology 77:171-6. 2011..of International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) storage subscore after combination therapy (α-blocker and finasteride) in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) consistent with moderate-to-severe benign prostatic ..
- Effects of family history and genetic polymorphism on the cost-effectiveness of chemoprevention with finasteride for prostate cancerShelby D Reed
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Department of Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27715, USA
J Urol 185:841-7. 2011..We estimated the cost-effectiveness of prostate cancer chemoprevention across risk groups defined by family history and number of risk alleles, and the cost-effectiveness of targeting chemoprevention to higher risk groups...
- Combined effect of terazosin and finasteride on apoptosis, cell proliferation, and transforming growth factor-beta expression in benign prostatic hyperplasiaD T Glassman
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Prostate 46:45-51. 2001..In this study, we examined the combined effect of finasteride and terazosin on the rate of apoptosis and cellular proliferation to investigate their potential synergy at the ..
- Detection bias due to the effect of finasteride on prostate volume: a modeling approach for analysis of the Prostate Cancer Prevention TrialYael C Cohen
Gamida Cell Ltd, Cell Therapy Technologies, Jerusalem, Israel
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:1366-74. 2007..8% reduction in the 7-year prevalence of prostate cancer among patients treated with finasteride (5 mg daily) compared with that among patients treated with placebo; however, a 25...
- Anxiolytic activity of progesterone in progesterone receptor knockout miceDoodipala S Reddy
Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences, North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, 4700 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Neuropharmacology 48:14-24. 2005..Pretreatment of PRKO mice with finasteride, a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor that blocks the conversion of progesterone to allopregnanolone, completely ..
- Combination therapy with rofecoxib and finasteride in the treatment of men with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)Franco Di Silverio
Department Urology, University La Sapienza, Urology U Bracci, V Policlinico, 00161 Rome, Italy
Eur Urol 47:72-8; discussion 78-9. 2005..The aim of this study is to analyze whether combination therapy with rofecoxib, a COX-2 inhibitor, and finasteride offers an advantage compared to finasteride monotherapy in patients with BPH.
- Combination therapy with doxazosin and finasteride for benign prostatic hyperplasia in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms and a baseline total prostate volume of 25 ml or greaterSteven A Kaplan
Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
J Urol 175:217-20; discussion 220-1. 2006..We examined data from the Medical Therapy of Prostatic Symptoms trial to determine the relationship between baseline TPV and the effect of medical therapy in men with LUTS secondary to BPH...
- The importance of dual 5alpha-reductase inhibition in the treatment of male pattern hair loss: results of a randomized placebo-controlled study of dutasteride versus finasterideElise A Olsen
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 55:1014-23. 2006..Male pattern hair loss (MPHL) is a potentially reversible condition in which dihydrotestosterone is an important etiologic factor...
- Finasteride improves the sensitivity of digital rectal examination for prostate cancer detectionIan M Thompson
Department of Urology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Urol 177:1749-52. 2007..We previously presented data from the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial indicating that finasteride improves the performance characteristics of prostate specific antigen for cancer detection...
- Differential expression of steroid 5alpha-reductase isozymes and association with disease severity and angiogenic genes predict their biological role in prostate cancerKakoli Das
Cancer Science Institute, Department of Pathology, National University Health System, National University of Singapore, 28 Medical Drive, Singapore
Endocr Relat Cancer 17:757-70. 2010..PC was also examined in prostate cell lines, LNCaP, PC3, and RWPE-1, by treating them with the SRD5A inhibitors finasteride and dutasteride, followed by western blot, quantitative PCR, and ELISA chip array techniques...
- Decreased gene expression of steroid 5 alpha-reductase 2 in human prostate cancer: implications for finasteride therapy of prostate carcinomaJun Luo
Department of Urology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Prostate 57:134-9. 2003..The therapeutic influence of SRD5A2 inhibitor finasteride on prostate cancer is currently unknown...
- A woman with iatrogenic androgenetic alopecia responding to finasterideJ B Hong
Br J Dermatol 156:754-5. 2007
- Value of hormonal levels in patients with male androgenetic alopecia treated with finasteride: better response in patients under 26 years oldF M Camacho
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Universitario Virgen Macarena, Avda Dr Fedriani s n 41071 Sevilla, Spain
Br J Dermatol 158:1121-4. 2008b>Finasteride is a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor that has proved to be an effective treatment for men with androgenetic alopecia.
- Finasteride induces apoptosis via Bcl-2, Bcl-xL, Bax and caspase-3 proteins in LNCaP human prostate cancer cell lineJesús M Golbano
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital General Universitario de Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Spain
Int J Oncol 32:919-24. 2008We investigated the effects of finasteride, a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, on cell death machinery through the induction of apoptosis in an in vitro model for prostate cancer...
- The expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 in follicular dermal papillae correlates with therapeutic efficacy of finasteride in androgenetic alopeciaLiren Tang
Division of Dermatology, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver Hospital, Canada
J Am Acad Dermatol 49:229-33. 2003..b>Finasteride, which blocks the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, has now become an integral part of the ..
- Dutasteride, the dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, inhibits androgen action and promotes cell death in the LNCaP prostate cancer cell lineC B Lazier
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Prostate 58:130-44. 2004..Inhibition of 5alphaR activity with finasteride attenuates androgen action in men and animal models...
- Intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome and finasteride intakeSharif A Issa
Department of Ophthalmology, James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, Cleveland TS4 3BW, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 33:2142-3. 2007..patients had features of the intraoperative floppy-iris syndrome (IFIS) in both eyes, and both were taking oral finasteride for the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- Reduction of rat prostate weight by combined quercetin-finasteride treatment is associated with cell cycle deregulationZengshuan Ma
Division of Cellular and Molecular Research, National Cancer Center of Singapore, Singapore 169610
J Endocrinol 181:493-507. 2004..b>Finasteride alone caused a significant decrease in serum DHT level and prostate weight...
- Preparation of novel polymeric microspheres for controlled release of finasterideDongming Peng
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Central South University, Changsha 410083, China
Int J Pharm 342:82-6. 2007..of the novel polycarbonate, poly(propylene carbonate maleate) (PPCM) to encapsulate and control the release of finasteride, via microspheres, was investigated...
- Intermittent use of testosterone inactivating pharmaceuticals using finasteride prolongs the time off periodMark C Scholz
Prostate Oncology Specialists, Marina del Rey, California, USA
J Urol 175:1673-8. 2006..Men with prostate cancer treated intermittently with TIP benefit from improved quality of life when TOP with recovered testosterone is prolonged. We examined factors influencing the duration of TOP...
- Enhancement of follicular delivery of finasteride by liposomes and niosomes 1. In vitro permeation and in vivo deposition studies using hamster flank and ear modelsMajid Tabbakhian
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy and Isfahan Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Int J Pharm 323:1-10. 2006b>Finasteride is indicated orally in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia and some other pilosebaceous unit (PSU) disorders...
- Tissue effects of saw palmetto and finasteride: use of biopsy cores for in situ quantification of prostatic androgensL S Marks
Urological Sciences Research Foundation, Culver City, California, USA
Urology 57:999-1005. 2001OBJECTIVES: To determine the effects of a saw palmetto herbal blend (SPHB) compared with finasteride on prostatic tissue androgen levels and to evaluate needle biopsies as a source of tissue for such determinations...
- Hormonal effects of an orally active 4-azasteroid inhibitor of 5 alpha-reductase in humansA Vermeulen
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Prostate 14:45-53. 1989..The effect on plasma DHT lasts for several days after administration of a single oral dose. The data suggest that both hepatic and extrasplanchnic 5 alpha-reductases are inhibited...
- Effect of finasteride on serum levels of androstenedione, testosterone and their 5α-reduced metabolites in men at risk for prostate cancerFrank Z Stanczyk
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90033, United States Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90033, United States Electronic address
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 138:10-6. 2013Studies show that treatment of men with 5α-reductase inhibitors such as finasteride is effective for the primary prevention of prostate cancer...
- Neuroactive steroid levels are modified in cerebrospinal fluid and plasma of post-finasteride patients showing persistent sexual side effects and anxious/depressive symptomatologyRoberto Cosimo Melcangi
Department of Pharmacological and Biomolecular Sciences Center of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milan, Milano, Italy
J Sex Med 10:2598-603. 2013Observations performed in a subset of subjects treated with finasteride (an inhibitor of the enzyme 5α-reductase) for male pattern hair loss seem to indicate that sexual dysfunction as well as anxious/depressive symptomatology may occur ..
- Influence of dosing time on the efficacy and safety of finasteride in ratsMasafumi Kumazaki
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, Jichi Medical University, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 338:718-23. 2011b>Finasteride (FIN), a widely used medication for the treatment of androgen-dependent diseases, blocks the conversion of testosterone to a more potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- The direct inhibitory effect of dutasteride or finasteride on androgen receptor activity is cell line specificRishi Raj Chhipa
Department of Cancer Prevention and Control, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York, USA
Prostate 73:1483-94. 2013b>Finasteride and dutasteride were developed originally as 5α-reductase inhibitors to block the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- Morphological and hormonal changes in the ventral and dorsolateral prostatic lobes of rats treated with finasteride, a 5-alpha reductase inhibitorS Prahalada
Department of Safety Assessment, Merck Research Laboratory, West Point, Pennsylvania 19486, USA
Prostate 35:157-64. 1998..Administration of finasteride, a 5-alpha reductase (5alphaR) inhibitor which selectively inhibits the conversion of T to DHT, results in ..
- The effect of finasteride and dutasteride on the growth of WPE1-NA22 prostate cancer xenografts in nude miceAlexander B Opoku-Acheampong
Department of Human Nutrition, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e29068. 2012..Previously, finasteride (5αR2 inhibitor) treatment begun 3 weeks post-tumor implantation had no effect on Dunning R3327-H rat prostate ..
- Effects of oral finasteride on erectile function in a rat modelMin Guang Zhang
Department of Urology, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Sex Med 9:1328-36. 2012Many clinical studies reported finasteride-related erectile dysfunction, but to date, few animal experiments have focused on it.
- The use of the finasteride-adjusted Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial Prostate Cancer Risk Calculator in a Mexican referral population: a validation studyYuanyuan Liang
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA liangy uthscsa edu
Urol Int 89:9-16. 2012To perform the first validation study of the finasteride-adjusted Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial Prostate Cancer Risk Calculator (finPCPTRC) in a contemporary referral population in Mexico.
- Persistent sexual side effects of finasteride: could they be permanent?Michael S Irwig
Center for Andrology and Division of Endocrinology, The George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA
J Sex Med 9:2927-32. 2012b>Finasteride has been associated with sexual side effects that may persist despite discontinuation of the medication...
- Finasteride for the treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa in children and adolescentsHarkamal Kaur Randhawa
Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8, Canada
JAMA Dermatol 149:732-5. 2013..Patients typically present at puberty with tender subcutaneous nodules that can progress to dermal abscess formation. Antiandrogens have been used in the treatment of HS, and studies have primarily focused on adult patients...
- Long-term effects of doxazosin, finasteride and combination therapy on quality of life in men with benign prostatic hyperplasiaChyng Wen Fwu
Social and Scientific Systems, Inc, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910, USA
J Urol 190:187-93. 2013We examined the effects of doxazosin, finasteride and combination therapy among men with benign prostatic hyperplasia on quality of life assessed with MOS-SF-36 (Medical Outcomes Study Short-Form 36) and 2 disease specific instruments (..
- Preventive and therapeutic efficacy of finasteride and dutasteride in TRAMP miceAlexander B Opoku-Acheampong
Department of Human Nutrition, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e77738. 2013..Reduction by dutasteride of Prostate Cancer Events (REDUCE) trial found that 5α-reductase (5αR) inhibitors finasteride and dutasteride respectively, decreased prostate cancer prevalence but also increased the incidence of high-..
- Does finasteride have a preventive effect on chronic bacterial prostatitis? Pilot study using an animal modelChoong Bum Lee
The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Department of Urology, St Vincent Hospital, Suwon, Korea
Urol Int 86:204-9. 2011To evaluate the preventive effect of finasteride on chronic bacterial prostatitis (CBP), Wistar rats were divided into four groups: control, ciprofloxacin, finasteride, and ciprofloxacin/finasteride.
- The influence of prostate volume on prostate-specific antigen performance: implications for the prostate cancer prevention trial outcomesChristopher S Elliott
Department of Urology, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:4694-9. 2009..25% reduction in the biopsy prevalence of cancer compared with placebo in the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial, finasteride was associated with a higher prevalence of high-grade disease...
- Effects of short-term finasteride on apoptotic factors and androgen receptors in prostate cancer cellsRobert Bass
Department of Urology, University of Kansas Hospital, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
J Urol 181:615-9; discussion 619-20. 2009We explored the molecular correlates of the effect of finasteride on prostate tissue in patients undergoing radical prostatectomy.
- Changes of metabolic profile in men treated for androgenetic alopecia with 1 mg finasterideM Duskova
Institute of Endocrinology, Prague, Czech Republic
Endocr Regul 44:3-8. 2010..b>Finasteride, used for treatment of androgenetic alopecia at a dose of 1mg/day, is an effective inhibitor of type II 5alpha-..
- Histologic influence of doxazosin and finasteride in benign prostatic hyperplasia accompanying chronic inflammationDong Soo Park
Department of Urology, Bundang CHA Hospital, Pochon CHA University, Seoul, Korea
Urol Int 81:441-6. 2008To evaluate the influence of doxazosin and finasteride on histologic findings in benign prostatic hyperplasia accompanied by prostatitis, and to examine the factors related with prostate carcinogenesis.
- Finasteride modifies the relation between serum C-peptide and prostate cancer risk: results from the Prostate Cancer Prevention TrialMarian L Neuhouser
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:279-89. 2010..study within the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT), a randomized, placebo-controlled trial testing finasteride versus placebo for primary prevention of prostate cancer...
- Studies on neurosteroids XXV. Influence of a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, finasteride, on rat brain neurosteroid levels and metabolismYoshiyuki Mukai
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University, Kakuma machi, Kanazawa, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 31:1646-50. 2008In this study, we examined the influence of finasteride (FIN), a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, on the brain levels and metabolism of neurosteroids [allopregnanolone (AP), 3alpha-dihydroprogesterone (3alpha-DHP), progesterone (PROG), ..
- Finasteride treatment alters tissue specific androgen receptor expression in prostate tissuesTyler M Bauman
Department of Urology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
Prostate 74:923-32. 2014..b>Finasteride is a selective inhibitor of 5α-reductase 2, one isozyme of 5α-reductase found in abundance in the human ..
- Morphometric-stereological and functional epididymal alterations and a decrease in fertility in rats treated with finasteride and after a 30-day post-treatment recovery periodPatrick Vianna Garcia
Department of Histology and Embryology, Institute of Biology, State University of Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Fertil Steril 97:1444-51. 2012To evaluate morphometric-stereological changes in the epididymal caput, sperm quality, and fertility parameters in rats treated with finasteride and after a 30-day post-treatment recovery period.
- Exposure of Xenopus laevis tadpoles to finasteride, an inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase activity, impairs spermatogenesis and alters hypophyseal feedback mechanismsR Urbatzka
Department of Inland Fisheries, IGB, Leibniz Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries, Berlin, Germany
J Mol Endocrinol 43:209-19. 2009..the involvement of 5-alpha reductases in maturation of gametes in amphibians, Xenopus laevis was exposed to finasteride (FIN), a known inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase enzyme activity...
- Finasteride-associated male infertilityKoji Chiba
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery Related, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Fertil Steril 95:1786.e9-11. 2011To describe a male patient with finasteride-associated infertility.
- Polarographic behavior and determination of finasterideSawsan M Amer
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Kasr El Eini Street, 11562 Cairo, Egypt
Farmaco 58:159-63. 2003The polarographic behavior of finasteride at the dropping mercury electrode (DME) was studied adopting direct current (DC(t)), alternating current (AC(t)) and differential-pulse polarography (DPP) modes...
- Hidradenitis suppurativa treated with finasterideM A Joseph
Department of Dermatology, St John s Medical College Hospital, Bangalore, India
J Dermatolog Treat 16:75-8. 2005..b>Finasteride, an inhibitor of type II 5a reductase, has been reported to be effective in recalcitrant HS.
- Inhibition of rat alpha-reductases by finasteride: evidence for isozyme differences in the mechanism of inhibitionB Azzolina
Department of Enzymology, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, U S A
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 61:55-64. 1997The mechanism of inhibition of the rat types 1 and 2 5alpha-reductase by finasteride was investigated using recombinantly expressed enzymes...
- Pharmacokinetic parameters and mechanisms of inhibition of rat type 1 and 2 steroid 5alpha-reductases: determinants for different in vivo activities of GI198745 and finasteride in the ratJ D Stuart
Division of Biochemistry, Glaxo Wellcome Inc, 5 Moore Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 62:933-42. 2001..has been shown for the inhibitor 17beta-(N-tert-butylcarbamoyl)-4-aza-5alpha-androst-1-en-3-one (finasteride), a current therapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Long-term treatment with finasteride improves clinical progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia in men with an enlarged versus a smaller prostate: data from the MTOPS trialSteven A Kaplan
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University, 1300 York Ave, F9 West, Box 261, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Urol 185:1369-73. 2011This post hoc analysis of the Medical Therapy of Prostatic Symptoms trial examined the effect of finasteride alone compared to placebo on the clinical progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia in men with a baseline prostate volume ..
- Apoptotic and proliferative index after Alpha-1-adrenoceptor antagonist and/or finasteride treatment in benign prostatic hyperplasiaTibet Erdogru
Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey
Urol Int 69:287-92. 2002..The influence of alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonist (alpha1-ARA), 5-alpha reductase inhibitor and their combination on prostatic cell apoptotic and proliferative indices of benign hyperplastic prostate gland were investigated...
- Efficacy and tolerability of finasteride 1 mg in men aged 41 to 60 years with male pattern hair lossDavid A Whiting
Dallas Associated Dermatologists, 3600 Gaston Avenue, 1051 LB76, TX 75246, USA
Eur J Dermatol 13:150-60. 2003..parallel-group, multicenter study of 424 men was conducted to determine the efficacy and tolerability of finasteride 1 mg on hair growth/loss in men aged 41 to 60 years with mild-to-moderate, predominantly vertex male pattern ..
- Activation of caspases-3, -6, and -9 during finasteride treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasiaAline Bozec
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U 407, Faculté de médecine Lyon Sud, BP 12, 69921 Oullins Cedex, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:17-25. 2005..Although inhibitors of 5alpha-reductase such as finasteride have been shown to reduce the size of BPH tissues by inducing apoptosis, their mechanisms of action still ..
- Pre-surgical finasteride therapy in patients treated endoscopically for benign prostatic hyperplasiaG Crea
Department of Urology, University Hospital of Messina, Messina, Italy
Urol Int 74:51-3. 2005..Recent studies have also shown that finasteride reduces angiogenesis and prostatic bleeding associated with BPH...
- Long-term treatment with finasteride results in a clinically significant reduction in total prostate volume compared to placebo over the full range of baseline prostate sizes in men enrolled in the MTOPS trialSteven A Kaplan
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Urol 180:1030-2; discussion 1032-3. 2008..examined data from the MTOPS (Medical Therapy of Prostatic Symptoms) trial to determine the effect of long-term finasteride treatment, either alone or in combination with doxazosin, on total prostate volume across the full range of ..
- Finasteride for treatment of refractory hemospermia: prospective placebo-controlled studyAbdelbasset A Badawy
Sohag Faculty of Medicine, Sohag University, Sohag, Egypt
Int Urol Nephrol 44:371-5. 2012b>Finasteride had been used to control frequent hematuria due to BPH...
- Persistent sexual side effects of finasteride for male pattern hair lossMichael S Irwig
Center for Andrology and Division of Endocrinology, The George Washington University, Washington, DC 20037, USA
J Sex Med 8:1747-53. 2011b>Finasteride has been associated with reversible adverse sexual side effects in multiple randomized, controlled trials for the treatment of male pattern hair loss (MPHL)...
- Finasteride-induced secondary infertility associated with sperm DNA damageHin Yu Vincent Tu
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Fertil Steril 95:2125.e13-4. 2011To report a case of low-dose finasteride-induced secondary infertility with associated elevated sperm DNA fragmentation index (DFI) and otherwise normal semen parameters.
- Saturable binding of finasteride to steroid 5alpha-reductase as determinant of nonlinear pharmacokineticsRie Suzuki
The University of Tokyo, Japan
Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 25:208-13. 2010b>Finasteride, a steroid 5alpha-reductase (5alphaR) inhibitor, is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia and androgenetic alopecia...
- Structural study of polymorphs and solvates of finasterideAbdullah Othman
Department of Chemistry, University of Durham, South Road, Durham DH1 3LE, UK
J Pharm Sci 96:1380-97. 2007NMR and XRD data are reported for several new forms of finasteride, including the results of complete structure determinations for three solvates...
- Voltammetric reduction of finasteride at mercury electrode and its determination in tabletsA Alvarez-Lueje
Bioelectrochemistry Laboratory, Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences Faculty, University of Chile, P O Box 233, Santiago 1, Chile
Talanta 75:691-6. 2008b>Finasteride in hydroalcoholic solutions (ethanol/Britton-Robinson buffer, 30/70) exhibits cathodic response in a wide range of pH (-0.5 to 12) using differential pulse (DPP) and test polarography (TP)...
- Blood loss during transurethral resection of the prostate after 3 months of treatment with finasterideL Sandfeldt
Department of Urology, Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Urology 58:972-6. 2001OBJECTIVES: To study whether pretreatment with finasteride, compared with placebo, reduces the blood loss, operating time, amount of irrigating fluid absorbed, resources used, and other exploratory indexes of extensive surgery during ..
- LC determination of finasteride and its application to storage stability studiesA A Syed
Department of Studies in Chemistry, University of Mysore, Manasagangothri, 570 006, Mysore, India
J Pharm Biomed Anal 25:1015-9. 2001..of a simple, sensitive, rapid, and reproducible reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatographic assay of finasteride (proscar) in preformulation, and its application to forced degradation studies has been carried out...
- Hair loss in women with hyperandrogenism: four cases responding to finasterideKid Wan Shum
Department of Dermatology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
J Am Acad Dermatol 47:733-9. 2002Oral finasteride, a type II 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor, has been shown to increase hair growth and slow progression of thinning in men with androgenetic or male pattern balding (Hamiliton type) but has no affect on hair growth in ..
- Long-term treatment with finasteride 1 mg decreases the likelihood of developing further visible hair loss in men with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss)Keith D Kaufman
Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Eur J Dermatol 18:400-6. 2008..Our objectives were to examine whether finasteride 1 mg treatment decreases the likelihood of developing further visible hair loss in men with AGA...
- Induction of apoptosis in rat ventral prostate by finasteride is associated with alteration in MAP kinase pathways and Bcl-2 related family of proteinsHung Huynh
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Division of Cellular and Molecular Research, National Cancer Centre of Singapore, Singapore 169610
Int J Oncol 20:1297-303. 2002b>Finasteride is widely used in treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Ketocazole as an adjunct to finasteride in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in menB S Hugo Perez
California College of Podiatric Medicine, 371 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA
Med Hypotheses 62:112-5. 2004..It is proposed that using ketoconazole 2% shampoo as an adjunct to finasteride treatment could lead to a more complete inhibition of DHT and thus better treat AGA.
- Spermatozoa and chronic treatment with finasteride: a TEM and FISH studyGiulia Collodel
Department of Surgery, Biology Section, Interdepartmental Centre for Research and Therapy of Male Infertility, University of Siena, Policlinico Le Scotte, Viale Bracci 14, 53100 Siena, Italy
Arch Androl 53:229-33. 2007b>Finasteride is a specific inhibitor of the 5alpha reductase enzyme originally approved for the treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy and also for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (AGA) in men at a dose of 1 mg/day...
- Development and validation of a new gas flame ionization detector method for the determination of finasteride in tabletsSerap Saglik
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Istanbul University, Istanbul 34452, Turkey
Anal Biochem 352:260-4. 2006..method based on gas chromatography with flame ionization detection is described for the determination of finasteride in tablets...
- Finasteride effects on hypoxia and angiogenetic markers in benign prostatic hyperplasiaAlexandros G Lekas
Department of Urology, General Hospital of Nikea, Piraeus, Greece
Urology 68:436-41. 2006To assess the effects of finasteride on angiogenetic and hypoxia markers in benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- A prospective, 1-year trial using saw palmetto versus finasteride in the treatment of category III prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeSteven A Kaplan
Department of Urology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Urol 171:284-8. 2004This study was designed to assess the safety and efficacy of saw palmetto or finasteride in men with category III prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS).
- The rationale for inhibiting 5alpha-reductase isoenzymes in the prevention and treatment of prostate cancerDonald J Tindall
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Urol 179:1235-42. 2008..Dihydrotestosterone, the primary prostatic androgen, is transformed from testosterone by types 1 and 2 5alpha-reductase and, thus, a potential therapeutic benefit could be achieved through the inhibition of 5alpha-reductase...
- Does the level of prostate cancer risk affect cancer prevention with finasteride?Ian M Thompson
Department of Urology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
Urology 71:854-7. 2008b>Finasteride reduced the risk of prostate cancer by 24.8% in the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT). Whether this represents treatment or prevention and who is most likely to benefit are unknown...
- Suppression of spermatogenesis with desogestrel and testosterone pellets is not enhanced by addition of finasterideD Kinniburgh
Contraceptive Development Network, Centre for Reproductive Biology, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Androl 22:88-95. 2001..We therefore investigated whether the addition of finasteride, a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, to a prototype male hormonal contraceptive regimen consisting of desogestrel (..
- Impact of finasteride treatment on perioperative bleeding before transurethral resection of the prostate: a prospective randomized studyLars Lund
Department of Urology, Viborg Hospital, Viborg, Denmark
Scand J Urol Nephrol 39:160-2. 2005In this preliminary, randomized study, 35 men were pretreated for 3 months with finasteride or placebo before transurethral resection of the prostate...
- The prevention of prostate cancer--the dilemma continuesPeter T Scardino
N Engl J Med 349:297-9. 2003
- Alteration of ethanol drinking in mice via modulation of the GABA(A) receptor with ganaxolone, finasteride, and gaboxadolMarcia J Ramaker
Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:1994-2007. 2011..altered with the synthetic GABAergic neurosteroid ganaxolone (GAN), with an inhibitor of neurosteroid synthesis (finasteride [FIN]), or a GABA(A) receptor agonist with some selectivity at extrasynaptic receptors (gaboxadol HCL [THIP]).
- Finasteride decreases the risk of prostatic intraepithelial neoplasiaIan M Thompson
Department of Urology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and Southwest Oncology Group, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Urol 178:107-9; discussion 110. 2007..In the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial we evaluated the impact of finasteride on the risk of a needle biopsy diagnosis of high grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia.
- Seizure exacerbation associated with inhibition of progesterone metabolismAndrew G Herzog
Harvard Neuroendocrine Unit, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Ann Neurol 53:390-1. 2003..We report a case in which efficacy was eliminated during concomitant treatment with a reductase inhibitor. The observation suggests that a reduced metabolite, rather than progesterone itself, was responsible for improved seizure control...
- Relative safety and efficacy of finasteride for treatment of hirsutismKara A Townsend
Auburn University, Harrison School of Pharmacy, 1504 Springhill Avenue, Suite 1800, Mobile, AL 36604 3273, USA
Ann Pharmacother 38:1070-3. 2004To evaluate the relative safety and efficacy of finasteride for treatment of hirsutism related to hyperandrogenism in women.
- Antiandrogenic effects of novel androgen synthesis inhibitors on hormone-dependent prostate cancerB J Long
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201 1559, USA
Cancer Res 60:6630-40. 2000..Therefore, compounds such as L-39, which have multifunctional activities, hold promise for the treatment of androgen-dependent prostate tumors...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Title: Phase II, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study for the Evaluation of Finasteride in the Treatment of Chronic Central Serous Chorioretinopathy Number: 12-EI-0119 Background: - Central serous ..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Title: Phase II, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study for the Evaluation of Finasteride in the Treatment of Chronic Central Serous Chorioretinopathy Number: 12-EI-0119 Background: - Central serous ..
- A Soft Topical Antiandrogenic DrugWei Chu Xu; Fiscal Year: 2013..androgen antagonists (flutamide, nilutamide, bicalutamide) and 5[unreadable]-reductase type 2 inhibitors (finasteride) are serious drawbacks to their repeated use, and some are contraindicated in pregnant women...
- Chemoprevention of Prostate CancerSUSAN AUDREY HALL; Fiscal Year: 2012..trials on the subject of the chemoprevention of prostate cancer (prCA), unanswered questions remain regarding finasteride, a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor currently used for benign prostatic hyperplasia that may also protect against ..
- Interactions of MAO A with vulnerability factors for aggressionMarco Bortolato; Fiscal Year: 2012..dihydrotestosterone (DHT), is affected by early stress and MAO-A deficiency;furthermore, its inhibition by finasteride reduces the high aggression of patients and MAO A knockout mice...
- Paracrine Regulation of BPH PathogeneisSIMON HAYWARD; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies have given rise to the development of 5[unreadable]-reductase inhibitors such as finasteride and dutasteride...
- Paracrine Regulation of BPH PathogenesisSimon W Hayward; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies have given rise to the development of 51-reductase inhibitors such as finasteride and dutasteride...
- Vitamin D and Prostate Cancer: Biomarkers and Genetic VariationMarian L Neuhouser; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will also investigate whether the intervention-effect of finasteride (the active drug used in PCPT) on prostate cancer risk differs in men with low vs...
- Androgen signaling in benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)Zhou Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..II Clinical Trial to test the hypothesis that celecoxib, a non-steroid anti- inflammatory drug (NSAID), and/or finasteride, a 5a-reductase II inhibitor, can inhibit the elevated expression of androgen-responsive genes in BPH tissues ..
- Reduced Levels of 5-alpha Reductase 2 in Adult Prostate Tissue and BPH TherapyAria F Olumi; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Finasteride, the most commonly used 5-1 reductase inhibitor, is prescribed to 8.2 million American men...
- Clinical validity and utility of genomic targeted chemoprevention of PCaJianfeng Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..REDUCE), have demonstrated a 23-25% reduction in PCa risk with the use of 5 alpha reductase inhibitors (5ARIs: finasteride and dutasteride). However, 5ARIs have not been widely adopted due, in part, to poor cost-effectiveness...
- PCPT and SELECT cohorts: Core Infrastructure Support for Cancer Research Ian M Thompson; Fiscal Year: 2013..PCPT, also a Phase III, double-blind trial, randomized 18,882 men to either finasteride or placebo between 1994-1997...
- Validation of Digital Morphometry for Cancer Risk in Benign Prostate BiopsiesPeter H Gann; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In the PCPT and REDUCE trials, finasteride and dutasteride significantly reduced the detection of prostate cancer (PCa) by 23 and 25% respectively, and thus established that 51-reductase inhibitors (..
- Improving prostate biopsy efficiency: The finasteride challenge testROBIN JEAN LEACH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT), a National Cancer Institute-sponsored study, that in men who received the drug finasteride, an inhibitor of the five alpha reductase type 2 enzyme and a medication used to improve urination, PSA was a ..
- MECHANISM OF SELENIUM POTENTIATION OF FINASTERIDE EFFICACYCLEMENT C IP; Fiscal Year: 2011..Several agents have been identified to be effective in reducing risk;among these are finasteride and selenium...
- MEDICAL THERAPY IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAMichael Lieber; Fiscal Year: 2001..S. Food and Drug Administration. The first was finasteride, a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor; the other was terazosin, a selective alpha-1-adrenergic receptor inhibitor...
- Impact of Puberty on the Kidney in DiabetesPASCALE LANE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Some groups will also receive treatment with testosterone, flutamide, an androgen receptor blocker, or finasteride, which blocks conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone...
- STEROID 5 ALPHA REDUCTASE--STRUCTURE/FUNCTIONShutsung Liao; Fiscal Year: 2000..a variety of synthetic 5a-reductase inhibitor have been developed, the first of these to be tested clinically (finasteride) has had limited efficacy...
- Estrogen Metabolism and Action in Prostate Cancer Etiology in PCPTAshraful Hoque; Fiscal Year: 2007..Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) (N = 18,882 randomized men) of the 5a-reductase (SRD5A2) inhibitor finasteride (versus placebo) found that inhibiting SRD5A2 from converting testosterone into dihydrotestosterone reduced ..
- ANDROGENS REGULATE IGF PATHWAY AND PROSTATE DISEASESJulianne Imperato McGinley; Fiscal Year: 2001..II: Males with BPH at baseline and after treatment with placebo or the 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride to lower DHT. III: Males who have had a prostatectomy for early organ confined prostate cancer...
- MEDICAL THERAPY FOR BPH--DATA COORDINATING CENTERPAMELA BURROWS; Fiscal Year: 2001..the purpose of the NIH-BPH Clinical Trial is to determine the safety and efficacy of the pharmacotherapies finasteride (an inhibitor of 5-alpha-reductase) and doxazosin (a blocker of alpha-1 adrenoreceptors) on the clinical ..
- PATTERNS OF BEHAVIORAL AND HORMONAL DEVELOPMENTSTEPHEN GLICKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..involving both Nissl stains and ICC for various neuropeptides, will examine fetal and adult tissues from the hyena CNS, including tissues derived from mature hyenas that were exposed to flutamide/finasteride in utero.
- MEDICAL THERAPY OF PROSTATIC SYMPTONS (MTOPS)Kevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2001..trial is a prospective, multi-center, randomized placebo controlled, double masked clinical study to assess if finasteride and/or doxazosin delays or prevents the progression of BPH...
- PROGRESSION OF BPH ON MEDICAL THERAPYSteven Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2001..The effects of pharmacologic reduction in the size of the prostate utilizing the 5alpha reductase inhibitor, finasteride, and/or physiologic reduction of urethral outlet resistance using the alpha1 receptor antagonist, doxazosin, on ..
- CLINICAL CENTER PARTICIPATION IN BPH CLINICAL TRIALSJoseph Smith; Fiscal Year: 2001..study protocol will be followed in order to answer the primary research question of whether medical therapy (Finasteride and/or Doxazosin) delays or prevents the progression of BPH...
- SAW PALMETTO EXTRACT IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAAndrew Avins; Fiscal Year: 2003..medical conditions in middle-aged and elderly men, is generally treated with alpha-adrenergic blocking agents, finasteride, surgical interventions, or no specific therapy ("watchful waiting")...
- MEDICAL THERAPY IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAStephen Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2001..The 4 regimens are: 1) doxazosin; 2) finasteride; 3) doxazosin + finasteride, and 4) placebo...
- Saw Palmetto Use and Risk of Prostate CancerI Min Lee; Fiscal Year: 2004..has been proposed to play a key role in the etiology of prostate cancer; thus, the NCI is currently testing finasteride, a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor, in the prevention of prostate cancer in an ongoing, randomized clinical trial...
- Genetic Markers of Transition Zone HyperplasiaSIMON HAYWARD; Fiscal Year: 2004..expression in tissues from intact or castrated mice with or without treatment with agents such as testosterone, finasteride and ligands for PPARgamma; 3) data base mining will be used to identify candidate genes which can then be ..
- Saw Palmetto, Cyclooxygenase, and Prostate CancerCHARLES ROSELLI; Fiscal Year: 2007..The lipo-sterolic extract of saw palmetto (SPE) has been shown to be as effective as finasteride in the treatment of urinary symptoms from benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- MEDICAL THERAPY BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAChristopher Dixon; Fiscal Year: 2001..of the immediate and long-term safety and efficacy of alpha blockade (Doxazosin) and hormonal therapy (Finasteride) for BPH...
- CLINICAL TRIAL OF MEDICAL THERAPY IN BPHHarris Foster; Fiscal Year: 2001..In particular, to determine the efficacy of alpha blockade (terazosin), androgen suppression (finasteride), and the combination of alpha blockade and androgen suppression for the treatment of men with symptomatic ..
- MEDICAL THERAPY OF BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAJohn McConnell; Fiscal Year: 2001..primary goal of this proposal is to initiate a collaborative full- scale trial to test whether medical therapy (finasteride and/or doxazosin) delays or prevents the progression of symptoms of BPH or if it relieves these symptoms, and ..
- MEDICAL THERAPY OF PROSTATIC SYMPTONS (MTOPS)John Foley; Fiscal Year: 2002The objective of this two-by-two, prospective, blinded trial is to determine if finasteride and/or doxazosin will delay or alter the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in a population of at- risk men with mild to moderate ..
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Therapies Consortium for BPHKathryn Hirst; Fiscal Year: 2004..randomized, double-blind clinical trial to address whether the apoptotic effect of neoadjuvant and adjuvant finasteride in combination with the thermal effect of high-energy transurethral microwave thermotherapy (TUMT) act ..
- MEDICAL THERAPY IN BPH--FULL SCALE TRIALMani Menon; Fiscal Year: 2001..with moderate and severe symptoms of prostatism, randomized into one of 4 study arms consisting of doxazosin, finasteride, doxazosin and finasteride, and placebo...
- Biology of the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT)Scott Lippman; Fiscal Year: 2009..A randomized, controlled trial of finasteride in 18,882 men, the PCPT found a 24...
- LOW-SHEAR 3-DIMENSIONAL IN VITRO PROSTATE TUMOR MODELRobert Veltri; Fiscal Year: 1993..vivo tumor is established, the model will be used to assess selected chemotherapeutic agents [suramin, taxol, finasteride] to assess the utility of the model for evaluation of their therapeutic potential...
- MEDICAL THERAPY IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAJoe Ramsdell; Fiscal Year: 2001..The primary objective of the trial is to ascertain if medical therapy (finasteride and/or doxazosin) delays or prevents the progression of BPH...
- MAPPING SUSCEPTIBILITY ALLELES FOR BPHWilliam Isaacs; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- ETIOLOGY AND TREATMENT OF ALCOHOL DEPENDENCEVictor Hesselbrock; Fiscal Year: 2007..of vulnerability, while two studies will provide an examination of the effects of two pharmacologic agents (finasteride, naltrexone)...
- Northeast Under/Grad Research Organization for NeuroscienceCheryl Frye; Fiscal Year: 2008..Both of these outcomes are congruous with the Public Health Service's mission to ensure that there is a resource of well-trained scientists and health-care providers in the United States. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Urodynamic and Multiethnic Variability of Men Treated b*Steven Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Baseline urodynamic parameters which may predict improved outcome after MIST 3. The success of various types of MIST in treating BPH in African - American, Hispanic and Caucasian men. ..
- Neuroactive Steroid Therapy of Catamenial EpilepsyDOODIPALA REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2007..To model catamenial seizure exacerbation, we will induce repeated neurosteroid withdrawal by a pseudopregnancy-finasteride paradigm in epileptic rats that exhibit frequent SRS...
- Cohort Study of Risks for Benign Prostatic HyperplasiaAlan Kristal; Fiscal Year: 2005..the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT), a double blinded, placebo-controlled, randomized trial of the drug finasteride (Proscar) for the primary prevention of prostate cancer...
- Excessive Alcohol Intake Induced By WithdrawalDeborah Finn; Fiscal Year: 2005..Not only will this information help in furthering our understanding of the interaction between ethanol intake and withdrawal, but it also would aid in the development of new strategies for the treatment of alcoholism. ..
- REGULATION OF PROSTATE GROWTH BY NEURAL FACTORSKevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2001..Using this model allows one to explore the limits of understanding prostatic neuroregulation, to explore neurotrophic influences on exocrine gland development, and to possibly uncover novel methods to influence prostate disease. ..
- N O S AND NEUROPATHIC AND ENDOTHELIAL INDUCED EDKevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2002..Results of this research will aid in the understanding of how diabetic neuropathy contributes to sexual dysfunction and elucidate possible mechanisms to prevent them. ..
- Interstitial Cystitis Clinical Research Network (ICCRN)J Nickel; Fiscal Year: 2007..site with Dr. Nickel as PI has the experience, expertise and the proven ability to design, implement and enroll patients with IC in clinical strudies and will be a valuable partner in the proposed ICCRN and UCPPSCG. ..
- CHARACTERIZATION & TREATMENT OF CATEGORY III PROSTATITISJ Nickel; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results from this 3 part study will be analyzed and correlated between groups and within groups, both concurrently and sequentially. ..
- Diet and Genetic Risks for Prostate CancerMarian Neuhouser; Fiscal Year: 2005..To date, there are 718 confirmed cases of primary prostatic carcinoma. This proposed study will provide important information about prostate cancer etiology and suggest new strategies for prevention and control. ..
- Postprandial glycemic response to 4-week low and high glycemic load dietsMarian Neuhouser; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Therapies Treatment Consort*Claus Roehrborn; Fiscal Year: 2005..The MIST Study Group will be a blueprint for a technology assessment group applicable to other areas of urology and other medical or surgical subspecialties. ..
- Chronic Prostatitis Collaborative Research Network CPCRNJ Nickel; Fiscal Year: 2007..Nickel as PI has the experience, expertise and the proven ability to design, implement and enroll patients with CPPS in clinical studies and will be a valuable partner in the proposed CPCRN and UCPPSCG. ..
- The Efficacy of TUMT and Neoadjuvant Finasteride for BPHKevin McVary; Fiscal Year: 2005..In this light, we hypothesize that finasteride can augment the necrosis of prostatic tissue undergoing TUMT by virtue of it ability to induce TGF-beta ..
- USE OF ANTIOXIDANT SUPPLEMENTS AND OXIDATIVE DNA DAMAGEMarian Neuhouser; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MPSA Pathology Coordinating CenterM Lucia; Fiscal Year: 2004..Therapy of Prostate Symptoms (MTOPS)" that tested the ability of two medications, the 5 a-reductase inhibitor finasteride and the alpha-1 adrenergic receptor blocker doxazosin, alone or in combination, to treat this disorder...
- MODULATION BY TEA OF EARLY EFFECTS OF UV ON SKINAllan Conney; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Systematic Reviews in Urologic DiseasesTimothy Wilt; Fiscal Year: 2008..This will provide rapid dissemination, enhances implementation, and identifies new areas requiring additional research. ..
- ALCOHOL, GABA AND HORMONES: PHYSIOLOGY OF SUBUNIT CHANGESheryl S Smith; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results from these studies may provide insight into potential mechanisms for effects of low dose ethanol at GABAR. ..
- Steroids and GABA: Physiology of Receptor Subunit ChangeSheryl S Smith; Fiscal Year: 2010..These results may be relevant for alterations in mood, cognition and seizure susceptibility (i.e., catamenial epilepsy) reported during puberty and across the menstrual cycle. ..