Genomes and Genes
Summary: An orally active TESTOSTERONE 5-ALPHA-REDUCTASE inhibitor. It is used as a surgical alternative for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
Publications275 found, 100 shown here
- The influence of finasteride on the development of prostate cancerIan M Thompson
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, USA
N Engl J Med 349:215-24. 2003BACKGROUND: Androgens are involved in the development of prostate cancer. Finasteride, an inhibitor of 5alpha-reductase, inhibits the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, the primary androgen in the prostate, and may reduce ..
- Characterization of the 5alpha-reductase-3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase complex in the human brainS Steckelbroeck
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Bonn, 53105 Bonn, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1324-31. 2001..g. the synthesis of neuroactive steroids or the catabolism of neurotoxic steroids, rather than control of reproductive functions...
- Alcohol consumption, finasteride, and prostate cancer risk: results from the Prostate Cancer Prevention TrialZhihong Gong
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94118 1944, USA
Cancer 115:3661-9. 2009..In this study, the authors examined the associations of total alcohol, type of alcoholic beverage, and drinking pattern with the risk of total, low-grade, and high-grade prostate cancer...
- Pharmacologic basis for the enhanced efficacy of dutasteride against prostatic cancersYi Xu
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:4072-9. 2006..Therefore, the levels of expression SRD5A1 and SRD5A2 and the antiprostatic cancer growth response to finasteride, a selective SRD5A2 inhibitor, versus the dual SRD5A1 and SRD5A2 inhibitor, dutasteride, were compared.
- Change in International Prostate Symptom storage subscore after long-term medical therapy in BPH patients: finasteride and alpha-blocker combination therapy in men with moderate-to-severe LUTS/BPH in KoreaJi Youl Lee
Department of Urology, St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Urology 77:171-6. 2011..of International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) storage subscore after combination therapy (α-blocker and finasteride) in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) consistent with moderate-to-severe benign prostatic ..
- Differential expression of steroid 5alpha-reductase isozymes and association with disease severity and angiogenic genes predict their biological role in prostate cancerKakoli Das
Cancer Science Institute, Department of Pathology, National University Health System, National University of Singapore, 28 Medical Drive, Singapore
Endocr Relat Cancer 17:757-70. 2010..PC was also examined in prostate cell lines, LNCaP, PC3, and RWPE-1, by treating them with the SRD5A inhibitors finasteride and dutasteride, followed by western blot, quantitative PCR, and ELISA chip array techniques...
- A new look at the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor finasterideDeborah A Finn
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Research, Portland Alcohol Research Center, 97239, USA
CNS Drug Rev 12:53-76. 2006b>Finasteride is the first 5alpha-reductase inhibitor that received clinical approval for the treatment of human benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss)...
- Decreased gene expression of steroid 5 alpha-reductase 2 in human prostate cancer: implications for finasteride therapy of prostate carcinomaJun Luo
Department of Urology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Prostate 57:134-9. 2003..The therapeutic influence of SRD5A2 inhibitor finasteride on prostate cancer is currently unknown...
- GABRA2 alleles moderate the subjective effects of alcohol, which are attenuated by finasterideAmira Pierucci-Lagha
Department of Psychiatry, Alcohol Research Center, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 30:1193-203. 2005..We also examined whether finasteride (a 5-alpha steroid reductase inhibitor), which blocks the synthesis of some neuroactive steroids, reduces the ..
- Effects of family history and genetic polymorphism on the cost-effectiveness of chemoprevention with finasteride for prostate cancerShelby D Reed
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Department of Medicine, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27715, USA
J Urol 185:841-7. 2011..We estimated the cost-effectiveness of prostate cancer chemoprevention across risk groups defined by family history and number of risk alleles, and the cost-effectiveness of targeting chemoprevention to higher risk groups...
- Combined effect of terazosin and finasteride on apoptosis, cell proliferation, and transforming growth factor-beta expression in benign prostatic hyperplasiaD T Glassman
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Prostate 46:45-51. 2001..In this study, we examined the combined effect of finasteride and terazosin on the rate of apoptosis and cellular proliferation to investigate their potential synergy at the ..
- Combination therapy with doxazosin and finasteride for benign prostatic hyperplasia in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms and a baseline total prostate volume of 25 ml or greaterSteven A Kaplan
Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
J Urol 175:217-20; discussion 220-1. 2006..We examined data from the Medical Therapy of Prostatic Symptoms trial to determine the relationship between baseline TPV and the effect of medical therapy in men with LUTS secondary to BPH...
- The long-term effect of doxazosin, finasteride, and combination therapy on the clinical progression of benign prostatic hyperplasiaJohn D McConnell
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390-9110, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2387-98. 2003..5 years) involving 3047 men to compare the effects of placebo, doxazosin, finasteride, and combination therapy on measures of the clinical progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- The importance of dual 5alpha-reductase inhibition in the treatment of male pattern hair loss: results of a randomized placebo-controlled study of dutasteride versus finasterideElise A Olsen
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 55:1014-23. 2006..Male pattern hair loss (MPHL) is a potentially reversible condition in which dihydrotestosterone is an important etiologic factor...
- The prevention of prostate cancer--the dilemma continuesPeter T Scardino
N Engl J Med 349:297-9. 2003
- Medical therapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia: a review of the literatureG M Clifford
Public Health and Primary Care Research Unit, European Institute of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, UK
Eur Urol 38:2-19. 2000..prazosin, alfuzosin, indoramin, terazosin, doxazosin, and tamsulosin, that benefit patients by relaxing prostatic smooth muscle, and the anti-androgen, finasteride, that mediates its more long-term benefits by reducing prostate size.
- Finasteride modifies the relation between serum C-peptide and prostate cancer risk: results from the Prostate Cancer Prevention TrialMarian L Neuhouser
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:279-89. 2010..study within the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT), a randomized, placebo-controlled trial testing finasteride versus placebo for primary prevention of prostate cancer...
- Alteration of ethanol drinking in mice via modulation of the GABA(A) receptor with ganaxolone, finasteride, and gaboxadolMarcia J Ramaker
Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:1994-2007. 2011..altered with the synthetic GABAergic neurosteroid ganaxolone (GAN), with an inhibitor of neurosteroid synthesis (finasteride [FIN]), or a GABA(A) receptor agonist with some selectivity at extrasynaptic receptors (gaboxadol HCL [THIP]).
- Exogenous testosterone (T) alone or with finasteride increases physical performance, grip strength, and lean body mass in older men with low serum TStephanie T Page
Wesley Woods Health Center, 1841 Clifton Road Northeast, Atlanta, Georgia 30329 5102, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1502-10. 2005..Moreover, concerns exist about the impact of T therapy on the prostate in older men. The administration of finasteride (F), which partially blocks the conversion of T to the more potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone, attenuates ..
- Finasteride decreases the risk of prostatic intraepithelial neoplasiaIan M Thompson
Department of Urology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and Southwest Oncology Group, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Urol 178:107-9; discussion 110. 2007..In the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial we evaluated the impact of finasteride on the risk of a needle biopsy diagnosis of high grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia.
- Seizure exacerbation associated with inhibition of progesterone metabolismAndrew G Herzog
Harvard Neuroendocrine Unit, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Ann Neurol 53:390-1. 2003..We report a case in which efficacy was eliminated during concomitant treatment with a reductase inhibitor. The observation suggests that a reduced metabolite, rather than progesterone itself, was responsible for improved seizure control...
- Depression circumstantially related to the administration of finasteride for androgenetic alopeciaGianfranco Altomare
Department of Dermatology, Ospedale Maggiore IRCCS, University of Milan, Italy
J Dermatol 29:665-9. 2002..23 (17 males, 5 females) who developed a mood disturbance (moderate to severe depression) during treatment with finasteride, 1 mg/day orally, for androgenetic alopecia (Hamilton subtypes III-V; Ludwig subtypes I-II)...
- Sex differences in the effect of finasteride on acute ethanol withdrawal severity in C57BL/6J and DBA/2J miceR E Gorin-Meyer
Department of Behavioral Neuroscience L 470, Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine, and Portland Alcohol Research Center, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Research, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Neuroscience 146:1302-15. 2007..The 5alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride can block the formation of ALLO and other GABAergic neurosteroids and also reduce certain effects of EtOH...
- Efficacy and safety of finasteride therapy for androgenetic alopecia: a systematic reviewJosé Manuel Mella
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Aleman, Avenue Pueyrredón 1640, CP 1118, CABA, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Arch Dermatol 146:1141-50. 2010..Androgenetic alopecia is the most common form of alopecia in men...
- Prostate cancer incidence among finasteride and alpha-blocker users in the Finnish Prostate Cancer Screening TrialT J Murtola
School of Public Health, University of Tampere, FIN 33014 Tampere, Finland
Br J Cancer 101:843-8. 2009The Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial has shown a protective effect of finasteride on prostate cancer in low-risk men. It is uncertain whether similar results can be expected when finasteride is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Antiandrogenic effects of novel androgen synthesis inhibitors on hormone-dependent prostate cancerB J Long
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201 1559, USA
Cancer Res 60:6630-40. 2000..Therefore, compounds such as L-39, which have multifunctional activities, hold promise for the treatment of androgen-dependent prostate tumors...
- Inhibition of human steroid 5beta-reductase (AKR1D1) by finasteride and structure of the enzyme-inhibitor complexJason E Drury
Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6084, USA
J Biol Chem 284:19786-90. 2009..The first step in functionalization of the A-ring is mediated in humans by steroid 5alpha- or 5beta-reductase. Finasteride is a mechanism-based inactivator of 5alpha-reductase type 2 with subnanomolar affinity and is widely used as a ..
- Dutasteride, the dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, inhibits androgen action and promotes cell death in the LNCaP prostate cancer cell lineC B Lazier
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada
Prostate 58:130-44. 2004..Inhibition of 5alphaR activity with finasteride attenuates androgen action in men and animal models...
- 5alpha-Reductase inhibitor treatment of prostatic diseases: background and practical implicationsJ Dörsam
St Theresienkrankenhaus, Nurnberg, Germany
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 12:130-6. 2009..The 5ARIs Finasteride and Dutasteride, which specifically inhibit the production of dihydrotestosterone by acting as competitive ..
- Relative safety and efficacy of finasteride for treatment of hirsutismKara A Townsend
Auburn University, Harrison School of Pharmacy, 1504 Springhill Avenue, Suite 1800, Mobile, AL 36604 3273, USA
Ann Pharmacother 38:1070-3. 2004To evaluate the relative safety and efficacy of finasteride for treatment of hirsutism related to hyperandrogenism in women.
- Clinical application of 5alpha-reductase inhibitorsA Cilotti
Department of Clinical Physiopathology, Endocrine Unit, University of Florence, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 24:199-203. 2001..steroidal and non-steroidal inhibitors have been synthesized and experimented in pharmacological models, only finasteride has been extensively used for clinical purposes...
- Comparison of Diane 35 and Diane 35 plus finasteride in the treatment of hirsutismY Sahin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Fertil Steril 75:496-500. 2001..safety of the combination of Diane 35 (2 mg of cyproterone acetate, and 35 microg of ethinyl estradiol) plus finasteride (5 mg), and Diane 35 alone in the treatment of hirsutism. DESIGN: Prospective randomized clinical study...
- Finasteride improves the sensitivity of digital rectal examination for prostate cancer detectionIan M Thompson
Department of Urology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Urol 177:1749-52. 2007..We previously presented data from the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial indicating that finasteride improves the performance characteristics of prostate specific antigen for cancer detection...
- Detection bias due to the effect of finasteride on prostate volume: a modeling approach for analysis of the Prostate Cancer Prevention TrialYael C Cohen
Gamida Cell Ltd, Cell Therapy Technologies, Jerusalem, Israel
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:1366-74. 2007..8% reduction in the 7-year prevalence of prostate cancer among patients treated with finasteride (5 mg daily) compared with that among patients treated with placebo; however, a 25...
- Do the benefits of finasteride outweigh the risks in the prostate cancer prevention trial?Steven Grover
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Centre for the Analysis of Cost Effective Care, The Montreal General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Urol 175:934-8; discussion 938. 2006The Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial demonstrated that finasteride could reduce the incidence of prostate cancer by 25%...
- Lifetime implications and cost-effectiveness of using finasteride to prevent prostate cancerSteven B Zeliadt
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Wash 98109, USA
Am J Med 118:850-7. 2005PURPOSE: We estimate the lifetime implications of daily treatment with finasteride following the results of the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT)...
- Pharmacogenetic analysis of human steroid 5 alpha reductase type II: comparison of finasteride and dutasterideNick Makridakis
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Institute for Genetic Medicine, Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, 2250 Alcazar Street, IGM240, Los Angeles, California 90089-9075, USA
J Mol Endocrinol 34:617-23. 2005..Both finasteride and dutasteride are competitive inhibitors of the type II steroid 5 alpha-reductase that have been effectively ..
- Comparison of tamsulosin and finasteride for lower urinary tract symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia in Korean patientsE Lee
Department of Urology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Int Med Res 30:584-90. 2002Tamsulosin (0.2 mg) and finasteride (5 mg) once daily for 24 weeks were compared in a single-blind, randomized study as initial treatments for lower urinary tract symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in 205 Korean ..
- Suppressive effects of antiandrogens, finasteride and flutamide on development of prostatic lesions in a transgenic rat modelY M Cho
Department of Experimental Pathology and Tumor Biology, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Mizuho cho, Mizuho ku, Nagoya, Japan
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 10:378-83. 2007..b>Finasteride and flutamide were administered to 10-week-old TG rats five times a week for 2, 5 and 7 weeks...
- Discontinuation of alpha-blockade after initial treatment with finasteride and doxazosin for bladder outlet obstructionK C Baldwin
Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Urol Int 66:84-8. 2001..with symptomatic bladder outlet obstruction and moderately enlarged prostates can receive durable relief from finasteride. However, the delayed onset of action has led many clinicians to prescribe an alpha-blocker in addition to ..
- Androgen metabolism in the prostate of the finasteride-treated, adult rat: a possible explanation for the differential action of testosterone and 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone during development of the male urogenital tractF W George
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 8857, USA
Endocrinology 138:871-7. 1997..androstenedione, and 5 alpha-DHT, were measured in prostate tissue and in blood of 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor (finasteride)-treated adult male rats...
- Knowledge and use of finasteride for the prevention of prostate cancerRobert J Hamilton
Division of Urologic Surgery, Department ofSurgery, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:2164-71. 2010..The Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) showed that finasteride was effective in reducing the incidence of prostate cancer...
- Finasteride to prevent prostate cancer: should all men or only a high-risk subgroup be treated?Andrew J Vickers
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 307 East 63rd St, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:1112-6. 2010PURPOSE Finasteride has been shown to reduce the incidence of prostate cancer. Yet the use of finasteride remains low, likely because of the risk of adverse effects...
- Treatment of recurrent priapism in sickle cell anemia with finasteride: a new approachDaibes Rachid-Filho
Souza Aguiar Municipal Hospital, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Urology 74:1054-7. 2009To determine whether the use of finasteride controls recurrent priapism in patients with sickle cell anemia.
- Combined low-dose flutamide plus finasteride vs low-dose flutamide monotherapy for recurrent prostate cancer: a comparative analysis of two phase II trials with a long-term follow-upLionel L Banez
Division of Urologic Surgery and the Duke Prostate Center, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
BJU Int 104:310-4. 2009To compare the efficacy and tolerability of peripheral androgen blockade using combined low-dose flutamide plus finasteride vs low-dose flutamide monotherapy for treating biochemical relapse after the definitive management of prostate ..
- Serum steroid and sex hormone-binding globulin concentrations and the risk of incident benign prostatic hyperplasia: results from the prostate cancer prevention trialAlan R Kristal
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, M4 B402, PO Box 19024, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Am J Epidemiol 168:1416-24. 2008..Genetic or environmental factors that affect the activity of 5-alpha-reductase may be important in the development of symptomatic BPH...
- Expression of E-SOD, GPX5 mRNAs and immunoexpression of Cu/ZnSOD in epididymal epithelial cells of finasteride-treated ratsA Kolasa
Department of Histology and Embryology, Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
Andrologia 40:303-11. 2008..glutathione peroxidase 5 (GPX5), in epithelial cells of caput and cauda epididymis of rats treated with finasteride, a steroid-based inhibitor of 5alpha-reductase. The 5alpha-reductase is known to exist in two isoforms...
- Finasteride and bicalutamide as primary hormonal therapy in patients with advanced adenocarcinoma of the prostateM-H Tay
Lank Center for Genitourinary Oncology, Division of Solid Tumor Oncology, Department of Medical Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ann Oncol 15:974-8. 2004..Effective, less toxic therapies are needed. This study examined whether the addition of finasteride to high-dose bicalutamide enhanced disease control, as measured by additional decreases in serum prostate-..
- Comparison of dutasteride and finasteride for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia: the Enlarged Prostate International Comparator Study (EPICS)J Curtis Nickel
Department of Urology, Queen s University Kingston, ON, Canada
BJU Int 108:388-94. 2011To assess the efficacy and safety of dutasteride compared with finasteride in treating men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) for 12 months.
- Mechanism of salutary effects of finasteride on post-traumatic immune/inflammatory response: upregulation of estradiol synthesisMichael Frink
Center for Surgical Research and Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0019, USA
Ann Surg 246:836-43. 2007The aim of this study was to evaluate whether pretreatment with finasteride, a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, improves immune functions after trauma-hemorrhage.
- An open, randomized, comparative study of oral finasteride and 5% topical minoxidil in male androgenetic alopeciaErcan Arca
Department of Dermatology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, School of Medicine, Etlik Ankara, Turkey
Dermatology 209:117-25. 2004..In this open, randomized and comparative study we evaluated the efficacy of oral finasteride and 5% topical minoxidil treatment for 12 months in 65 male patients with mild to severe AGA.
- Finasteride, prostate cancer, and weight gain: evidence for genetic or environmental factors that affect cancer outcomes during finasteride treatmentYoonju Song
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Prostate 68:281-6. 2008b>Finasteride affects both prostate cancer risk and body weight. We examined whether, during 7 years of finasteride treatment, the magnitude of weight change was associated with the diagnosis of no, low-, or high-grade cancer.
- Finasteride versus cyproterone acetate-estrogen regimens in the treatment of hirsutismA Beigi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Arash Maternity Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 87:29-33. 2004To compare the clinical and hormonal effects of finasteride and a combination regimen of cyproterone acetate (CPA) plus ethinyl estradiol (EE2) in the treatment of hirsutism.
- Use of cyproterone acetate, finasteride, and spironolactone to treat idiopathic hirsutismFranco Lumachi
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padua, School of Medicine, Padova, Italy
Fertil Steril 79:942-6. 2003To compare the effectiveness of cyproterone acetate, finasteride, and spironolactone in the treatment of idiopathic hirsutism.
- Male breast cancer during finasteride therapyShen C Lee
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:338-9. 2004
- Can effect of finasteride on prostate-specific antigen be used to decrease repeat prostate biopsy?Liann Nicole Handel
Department of Urology, Brown University Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, Rhode Island 02904, USA
Urology 68:1220-3. 2006..b>Finasteride decreases serum PSA by approximately 50%...
- Enhancement of intermittent androgen ablation by "off-cycle" maintenance with finasteride in LNCaP prostate cancer xenograft modelScott E Eggener
Department of Urology, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Prostate 66:495-502. 2006..We hypothesize that administration of finasteride (F), a type-II 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor that increases T and decreases DHT, during the IAA "off-cycle&..
- Changes in molecular forms of prostate-specific antigen during treatment with finasterideF Espana
Research Center and Department of Urology, La Fe University Hospital, Valencia, Spain
BJU Int 90:672-7. 2002To study the influence of finasteride treatment on the molecular forms of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Randomized, placebo-controlled trial showing that finasteride reduces prostatic vascularity rapidly within 2 weeksJohn F Donohue
Department of Urology, Good Hope Hospital, Birmingham, UK
BJU Int 96:1319-22. 2005To measure expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and microvessel density (MVD) in the prostates of men after transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) following 2 weeks of treatment with finasteride.
- Sustained decrease in incidence of acute urinary retention and surgery with finasteride for 6 years in men with benign prostatic hyperplasiaClaus G Roehrborn
The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9100, USA
J Urol 171:1194-8. 2004We determined the effect of long-term treatment with finasteride on the incidence of acute urinary retention (AUR) and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) related surgery in men with BPH.
- Effects of finasteride (1 mg) on hair transplantMatt Leavitt
Medical Hair Restoration, 120 International Parkway, Ste 240, Heathrow, FL 32746, USA
Dermatol Surg 31:1268-76, discussion 1276. 2005..The improved scalp coverage achieved by hair transplant for men with androgenetic alopecia can be diminished by continued miniaturization and loss of preexisting, nontransplanted hairs...
- The effect of finasteride on the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and microvessel density: a possible mechanism for decreased prostatic bleeding in treated patientsGyan Pareek
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, Lenox Hill Hospital, 44 East End Avenue #2E, New York, NY 10028, USA
J Urol 169:20-3. 2003PURPOSE: Several studies have confirmed the benefit of finasteride in limiting hematuria from benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Long-term effects of finasteride on prostate specific antigen levels: results from the prostate cancer prevention trialRuth D Etzioni
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
J Urol 174:877-81. 2005Studies have shown that finasteride decreases prostate specific antigen (PSA) by approximately 50% during the first 12 months of use...
- Efficacy and tolerability of doxazosin and finasteride, alone or in combination, in treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia: the Prospective European Doxazosin and Combination Therapy (PREDICT) trialRoger S Kirby
St. George's Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Urology 61:119-26. 2003..and tolerability of the selective alpha(1)-adrenergic antagonist doxazosin and the 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride, alone and in combination, for the symptomatic treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Comparison of the pharmacological effects of a novel selective androgen receptor modulator, the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride, and the antiandrogen hydroxyflutamide in intact rats: new approach for benign prostate hyperplasiaWenqing Gao
Division of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Endocrinology 145:5420-8. 2004..the tissue selectivity of S-1 in intact male rats compared with that of hydroxyflutamide (antiandrogen) and finasteride (5alpha-reductase inhibitor), two major drugs used for androgen suppression treatment of BPH...
- Long-term treatment with finasteride in men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia: 10-year follow-upJohn S Lam
Department of Urology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, USA
Urology 61:354-8. 2003OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the safety and efficacy of finasteride 5 mg during a 10-year period in men with enlarged prostates from a single center who participated in the double-blind and extension phases of the multicenter, Phase III, ..
- A prospective, 1-year trial using saw palmetto versus finasteride in the treatment of category III prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndromeSteven A Kaplan
Department of Urology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Urol 171:284-8. 2004This study was designed to assess the safety and efficacy of saw palmetto or finasteride in men with category III prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS).
- Exogenous testosterone alone or with finasteride does not improve measurements of cognition in healthy older men with low serum testosteroneCamille Vaughan
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Wesley Woods Health Center, 1841 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
J Androl 28:875-82. 2007..replacement in older men with low T levels would improve aspects of cognitive function and that the addition of finasteride would not affect the T-induced cognitive improvements...
- Finasteride, a 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, potentiates antinociceptive effects of morphine, prevents the development of morphine tolerance and attenuates abstinence behavior in the ratJavad Verdi
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Kashan University of Medical Sciences, Kashan, Iran
Horm Behav 51:605-10. 2007..In the present study, we investigated inhibition of 5alpha-reductase enzyme on morphine effects using finasteride. To determine whether the 5alpha-reductase enzyme interact with morphine analgesia, finasteride (5 mg/kg, i.p...
- Dutasteride vs finasteride: assessment of differences in acute urinary retention rates and surgical risk outcomes in an elderly population aged > or =65 yearsThomas C Fenter
University of Mississippi, Corporate Medical Advisor Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Mississippi, Jackson, MS, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:S154-9. 2008To determine comparative differences on rates of acute urinary retention (AUR) and prostate-related surgeries among patients aged > or =65 years treated with dutasteride or finasteride.
- Finasteride and high-grade prostate cancer in the Prostate Cancer Prevention TrialM Scott Lucia
Department of Pathology, University of Colorado Denver and Health Sciences Center, 4200 E Ninth Ave, Box B 216, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:1375-83. 2007..incidence of prostate cancer overall but an increase in the incidence of high-grade prostate cancer with finasteride compared with placebo...
- Co-administration of finasteride and the pure anti-oestrogen ICI 182,780 act synergistically in modulating the IGF system in rat prostateH Huynh
Molecular Endocrinology Laboratory, Division of Cellular and Molecular Research, National Cancer Centre, Singapore 169610
J Endocrinol 171:109-18. 2001..b>Finasteride significantly decreases prostate weight and inhibits IGF-I gene expression...
- Effect of finasteride treatment on suburethral prostatic microvessel density in patients with hematuria related to benign prostate hyperplasiaAli Memis
Department of Urology, Numune Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Urol Int 80:177-80. 2008In the present study we evaluated the effect of short-term finasteride treatment on microvessel density (MVD) which is an indicator of prostatic angiogenesis in patients with hematuria secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- The effect of doxazosin, finasteride and combination therapy on nocturia in men with benign prostatic hyperplasiaTheodore M Johnson
Birmingham Atlanta Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Decatur, Georgia 30033, USA
J Urol 178:2045-50; discussion 2050-1. 2007..We evaluated the effectiveness of single or combination drug therapy on nocturia in men with lower urinary tract symptoms suggestive of benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- PCPT: Evidence that finasteride reduces risk of most frequently detected intermediate- and high-grade (Gleason score 6 and 7) cancerSteven A Kaplan
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
Urology 73:935-9. 2009To determine the effect of finasteride relative to placebo on prostate cancer (PCa) risk at each individual Gleason score in the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial using a post hoc generalization of a prespecified, exploratory, biopsy ..
- A large retrospective analysis of acute urinary retention and prostate-related surgery in BPH patients treated with 5-alpha reductase inhibitors: dutasteride versus finasterideMuta M Issa
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Manag Care 13:S10-6. 2007..5-alpha reductase inhibitor (5ARI) therapy and to compare the 2 currently available 5ARIs, dutasteride and finasteride, in a real-world, managed care setting...
- Effect of 1 mg/day finasteride on concentrations of serum prostate-specific antigen in men with androgenic alopecia: a randomised controlled trialAnthony V D'Amico
Department of Radiation Oncology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Dana Faber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Lancet Oncol 8:21-5. 2007Use of 5 mg/day finasteride (Proscar) for benign prostatic hyperplasia is known to affect serum concentrations of prostate-specific antigen (PSA)...
- Fadrozole and finasteride exposures modulate sex steroid- and thyroid hormone-related gene expression in Silurana (Xenopus) tropicalis early larval developmentValérie S Langlois
Centre for Advanced Research in Environmental Genomics, Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Gen Comp Endocrinol 166:417-27. 2010..Exposures to fadrozole (an aromatase inhibitor; 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0 microM) and finasteride (a putative 5-reductase inhibitor; 25, 50 and 100 microM) were designed to assess the consequences of ..
- Finasteride induced depression: a prospective studyBabak Rahimi-Ardabili
Clinical Pharmacy Laboratory, Drug Applied Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
BMC Clin Pharmacol 6:7. 2006b>Finasteride is a competitive inhibitor of 5 alpha-reductase enzyme, and is used for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia and androgenetic alopecia. Animal studies have shown that finasteride might induce behavioral changes...
- Enhancement of follicular delivery of finasteride by liposomes and niosomes 1. In vitro permeation and in vivo deposition studies using hamster flank and ear modelsMajid Tabbakhian
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy and Isfahan Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Int J Pharm 323:1-10. 2006b>Finasteride is indicated orally in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia and some other pilosebaceous unit (PSU) disorders...
- The long-term effect of specific type II 5alpha-reductase inhibition with finasteride on bone mineral density in men: results of a 4-year placebo controlled trialAlvin M Matsumoto
VA Puget Sound Health Care System and University of Washington, Seattle, USA
J Urol 167:2105-8. 2002PURPOSE: We determine the effect of long-term suppression of dihydrotestosterone with finasteride, a specific type II 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, on bone mineral density...
- The aromatase inhibitor fadrozole and the 5-reductase inhibitor finasteride affect gonadal differentiation and gene expression in the frog Silurana tropicalisP Duarte-Guterman
Centre for Advanced Research in Environmental Genomics, Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Sex Dev 3:333-41. 2009..We investigated the effects of inhibition of cyp19 by fadrozole (FAD), and srd5alpha and srd5beta by finasteride (FIN) during anuran larval development...
- Role of 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors in the management of prostate cancerSteven J Hudak
Urology Service, Department of Surgery, Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234-6200, USA
Clin Interv Aging 1:425-31. 2006..b>Finasteride is the only agent that has been shown in a randomized clinical trial to decrease the risk of prostate cancer ..
- Finasteride (Propecia) and the promotion of high-grade prostate cancerW Reid Pitts
Arch Dermatol 140:885-6. 2004
- 5-Alpha reductase inhibitors in men with an enlarged prostate: an evaluation of outcomes and therapeutic alternativesMichael Naslund
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:S148-53. 2008..The article by Fenter et al assesses differences in outcomes between elderly EP patients treated with finasteride and those treated with dutasteride in relation to the risks of acute urinary retention and prostate-related ..
- Finasteride in benign prostatic hyperplasiaKatia M C Verhamme
N Engl J Med 350:1359-61; author reply 1359-61. 2004
- The role of 5-alpha-reductase inhibition as monotherapy in view of the MTOPS dataJaspreet S Sandhu
Department of Urology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Curr Urol Rep 5:274-9. 2004..Furthermore, long-term 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor monotherapy, although slow in onset, is a viable therapy for symptom relief in men with mild to moderate symptoms...
- Comparative analysis of alpha-blocker utilization in combination with 5-alpha reductase inhibitors for enlarged prostate in a managed care setting among Medicare-aged menMuta M Issa
Department of Urology, Emory University, 1670 Clairmont Rd, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:S160-6. 2008To evaluate the likelihood of alpha-adrenergic antagonist (alpha-blocker) discontinuation in combination with dutasteride or finasteride among patients aged > or =65 years with enlarged prostate.
- The use of baseline clinical measures to predict those at risk for progression of benign prostatic hyperplasiaEdward D Kim
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, University of Tennessee Medical Center, 1928 Alcoa Highway, Knoxville, TN 37920, USA
Curr Urol Rep 5:267-73. 2004..This article highlights recent studies regarding the use of baseline clinical parameters on predicting BPH progression...
- A review of hormonal therapy for female pattern (androgenic) alopeciaNoah Scheinfeld
Dermatol Online J 14:1. 2008..No study has shown that 1 mg of finasteride effectively treats female androgenetic alopecia but doses of 2...
- In vivo and in vitro effect of novel 4,16-pregnadiene-6,20-dione derivatives, as 5alpha-reductase inhibitorsEugene Bratoeff
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Chemistry, National University of Mexico City, Mexico D F, Mexico
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 111:275-81. 2008..of the 11a-11d on the weight of the prostate gland of gonadectomized hamsters treated with testosterone plus finasteride or with the new steroids...
- Preventing prostate cancer: new analyses put finasteride back on the mapBrian Vastag
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1132-3. 2008
- Association between 5-alpha reductase inhibition and risk of hip fractureSteven J Jacobsen
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, 100 S Los Robles Ave, Second Floor, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
JAMA 300:1660-4. 2008..Short-term studies show no effects of these agents on bone metabolism,but long-term data are not available...
- 5-Alpha reductase inhibition provides superior benefits to alpha blockade by preventing AUR and BPH-related surgeryP Boyle
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, 20141 Milan, Italy
Eur Urol 45:620-6; discussion 626-7. 2004..This analysis examines the relative effectiveness of current medical therapies for BPH in preventing AUR, AUR-related catheterisation and surgery in real-life clinical practice...
- Type 1 and type 2 5alpha-reductase expression in the development and progression of prostate cancerLynn N Thomas
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Eur Urol 53:244-52. 2008..The objective of this study was to evaluate the role of both isoenzymes during development/progression of prostate cancer...
- [Comparison of different drugs on the treatment of benign prostate hyperplasia]Ning chen Li
Department of Urology, Peking University First Hospital, Institute of Urology, Beijing 100034, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 45:947-50. 2007..To compare the differences of the efficacy and different therapeutic drugs on the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in order to ensure the optimal indication for different BPH patients...
- Dihydrotestosterone and the prostate: the scientific rationale for 5alpha-reductase inhibitors in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasiaGerald Andriole
Division of Urological Surgery, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Urol 172:1399-403. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: DHT appears to have an obligatory role in the development of BPH. The role of 5alpha-reductase inhibitors in the treatment of BPH has been firmly established with an adverse events profile that is suitable for long-term use...
- Emerging drug therapies for benign prostatic hyperplasiaTravis L Bullock
Division of Urology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 11:111-23. 2006..The aim of this review is to examine current pharmacotherapies as well as to highlight emerging drugs that may improve our treatment of patients with LUTS secondary to BPH...
- The impact of medical therapy on surgery for benign prostatic hyperplasia: a study comparing changes in a decade (1992-2002)Remigio Vela-Navarrete
Department of Urology, Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
BJU Int 96:1045-8. 2005....
- Effective treatment of female androgenic alopecia with dutasterideMalgorzata Olszewska
Department of Dermatology, Warsaw Medical School, Warsaw, Poland
J Drugs Dermatol 4:637-40. 2005Dihydrotestosterone is the main molecule responsible for androgenic alopecia. Finasteride, which reduces transformation of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone and decreases dihydrotestosterone activity, is approved for treatment of ..
- [Prevention of prostate cancer]M P Wirth
, , Dresden
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:2002-4. 2005..Pharmacological prevention seems a possibility with drugs acting on intraprostatic testosterone metabolism. Several large randomised trials are ongoing to clarify the potential for successful prostate cancer prevention...
- Impact of Puberty on the Kidney in DiabetesPASCALE LANE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Some groups will also receive treatment with testosterone, flutamide, an androgen receptor blocker, or finasteride, which blocks conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone...
- Analysis of MTOPS Tissue Study DataKathleen C Torkko; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study ended in 2002 and found that finasteride and doxazosin worked best in combination to prevent disease progression...
- Estrogen Metabolism and Action in Prostate Cancer Etiology in PCPTAshraful Hoque; Fiscal Year: 2007..Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) (N = 18,882 randomized men) of the 5a-reductase (SRD5A2) inhibitor finasteride (versus placebo) found that inhibiting SRD5A2 from converting testosterone into dihydrotestosterone reduced ..
- Progesterone Receptors and Seizure SusceptibilityDoodipala Samba Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aim 1 will examine the rate of hippocampus kindling in WT and PRKO mice, with and without P and/or finasteride treatment, as an indicator of epileptogenesis...
- Progesterone Receptors and Seizure SusceptibilityDOODIPALA REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2009..Aim 1 will examine the rate of hippocampus kindling in WT and PRKO mice, with and without P and/or finasteride treatment, as an indicator of epileptogenesis...
- Paracrine Regulation of BPH PathogenesisSimon W Hayward; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies have given rise to the development of 51-reductase inhibitors such as finasteride and dutasteride...
- PATTERNS OF BEHAVIORAL AND HORMONAL DEVELOPMENTSTEPHEN GLICKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..involving both Nissl stains and ICC for various neuropeptides, will examine fetal and adult tissues from the hyena CNS, including tissues derived from mature hyenas that were exposed to flutamide/finasteride in utero.
- Genetic profiling in PCPT: prostate cancer risk, PSA levels, and chemopreventionJIANFENG contact XU; Fiscal Year: 2010..to improve the predictive performance for PCa and aggressive PCa, and 4) the chemoprevention effect of finasteride is different among men with different genetic risks and the reduction in PCa diagnosis by finasteride is larger ..
- Selenium genetic variation in selenoenzymes and prostate cancerUlrike Peters; Fiscal Year: 2007..and Prostate Cancer" within the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) a large trial that tested finasteride for prevention of prostate cancer...
- SAW PALMETTO EXTRACT IN BENIGN PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAAndrew Avins; Fiscal Year: 2003..medical conditions in middle-aged and elderly men, is generally treated with alpha-adrenergic blocking agents, finasteride, surgical interventions, or no specific therapy ("watchful waiting")...