Genomes and Genes
Summary: A potent androgenic metabolite of TESTOSTERONE. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is generated by a 5-alpha reduction of testosterone. Unlike testosterone, DHT cannot be aromatized to ESTRADIOL therefore DHT is considered a pure androgenic steroid.
Publications307 found, 100 shown here
- Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone tissue levels in recurrent prostate cancerMark A Titus
Department of Pathology, UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, 27599 7295, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:4653-7. 2005..Many groups have pursued mechanisms of ligand-independent androgen receptor activation but we found high levels of testicular androgens in recurrent prostate cancer tissue using RIA...
- A mechanism for androgen receptor-mediated prostate cancer recurrence after androgen deprivation therapyC W Gregory
Laboratory for Reproductive Biology, Department of Pediatrics, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Cancer Res 61:4315-9. 2001..development and growth of prostate cancer depends on the androgen receptor and its high-affinity binding of dihydrotestosterone, which derives from testosterone...
- Serum testosterone, dihydrotestosterone and estradiol concentrations in older men self-reporting very good health: the healthy man studyGideon Sartorius
Andrology Department, Concord Hospital, Clayton, Vic, Australia
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 77:755-63. 2012To determine serum concentrations, intra-individual variability and impact of age-related co-morbidities on serum testosterone (T), dihydrotestosterone (DHT), estradiol (E(2)) and estrone (E(1)) in older men.
- Dihydrotestosterone synthesis bypasses testosterone to drive castration-resistant prostate cancerKai Hsiung Chang
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8852, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13728-33. 2011..The development of CRPC is dependent upon the intratumoral generation of the potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), from adrenal precursor steroids...
- Developmental time course of estradiol, testosterone, and dihydrotestosterone levels in discrete regions of male and female rat brainAnne T M Konkle
Faculty of Health Sciences, Interdisciplinary School of Health Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
Endocrinology 152:223-35. 2011..profile of steroids in the rat brain using RIA to quantify the level of estradiol, testosterone, and dihydrotestosterone in discrete subregions of the brain from embryonic d 19 to adulthood...
- Mild exercise increases dihydrotestosterone in hippocampus providing evidence for androgenic mediation of neurogenesisMasahiro Okamoto
Laboratory of Exercise Biochemistry and Neuroendocrinology, Faculty of Health and Sports Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8574, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:13100-5. 2012..A mass-spectrometric analysis demonstrated that hippocampal dihydrotestosterone increased significantly, whereas testosterone levels did not increase significantly after 2 wk of treadmill ..
- Dihydrotestosterone stimulates amino acid uptake and the expression of LAT2 in mouse skeletal muscle fibres through an ERK1/2-dependent mechanismM M Hamdi
Biomedical and Clinical Sciences Research Institute, School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
J Physiol 589:3623-40. 2011b>Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) has acute/non-genomic actions in adult mammalian skeletal muscles whose physiological functions are still poorly understood...
- A new rat model exhibiting both ovarian and metabolic characteristics of polycystic ovary syndromeLouise Mannerås
Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Department of Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Box 434, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Endocrinology 148:3781-91. 2007..Female rats received the nonaromatizable androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT) or the aromatase inhibitor letrozole by continuous administration, beginning before puberty, to ..
- Low-frequency electro-acupuncture and physical exercise improve metabolic disturbances and modulate gene expression in adipose tissue in rats with dihydrotestosterone-induced polycystic ovary syndromeLouise Mannerås
Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Department of Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Endocrinology 149:3559-68. 2008..b>Dihydrotestosterone (inducing PCOS) or vehicle (control) was administrated continuously, beginning before puberty...
- Activation of PKR/eIF2α signaling cascade is associated with dihydrotestosterone-induced cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human liver cellsRongyang Dai
Department of Biochemistry of Luzhou Medical College, Luzhou, Sichuan, China
J Cell Biochem 113:1800-8. 2012..b>Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the active metabolite of the major circulating androgen, testosterone...
- Rapid membrane responses to dihydrotestosterone are sex dependent in growth plate chondrocytesKhairat Elbaradie
Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332, United States
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 132:15-23. 2012..female rat growth plate chondrocytes convert testosterone to 17β-estradiol, male chondrocytes produce 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- Human type 3 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (aldo-keto reductase 1C2) and androgen metabolism in prostate cellsTea Lanisnik Rizner
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6084, USA
Endocrinology 144:2922-32. 2003..adenine dinucleotide (NAD(+))-dependent oxidation of 3alpha-androstanediol (3alpha-diol) to 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (5alpha-DHT)...
- Androgens induce increases in intracellular calcium via a G protein-coupled receptor in LNCaP prostate cancer cellsYing Hao Sun
Department of Urology, Changhai Hospital, 174 Changhai Road, Shanghai 200433, China
J Androl 27:671-8. 2006..5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) produced fast and transient increases in intracellular Ca2+ in LNCaP cells in a concentration-..
- Membrane androgen receptors may mediate androgen reinforcementSatoru M Sato
Department of Cell and Neurobiology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 35:1063-73. 2010..Tfm males and wild-type (WT) littermates self-administered the non-aromatizable androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT) or vehicle intracerebroventricularly (ICV) at fixed-ratio (FR) schedules up to FR5...
- Dihydrotestosterone inhibits murine hair growth via the androgen receptorA Naito
Biological Science Research Laboratories, Research and Development Headquarters, Lion Corporation, 100 Tajima, Odawara, Kanagawa 256 0811, Japan
Br J Dermatol 159:300-5. 2008..Although many investigators have elucidated the effect of androgens on hair growth by using rodents and other animals, some of the evidence is conflicting...
- Acupuncture and exercise restore adipose tissue expression of sympathetic markers and improve ovarian morphology in rats with dihydrotestosterone-induced PCOSLouise Mannerås
Department of Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Goteborg, Sweden
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296:R1124-31. 2009..expression of sympathetic markers in adipose tissue and on ovarian morphology in female rats that received dihydrotestosterone (DHT) continuously, starting before puberty, to induce PCOS...
- An alternate pathway for androgen regulation of brain function: activation of estrogen receptor beta by the metabolite of dihydrotestosterone, 5alpha-androstane-3beta,17beta-diolRobert J Handa
Department of Biomedical Sciences Neurosciences Division, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Horm Behav 53:741-52. 2008..The goal of this review is to highlight recent data delineating the specific brain targets for the dihydrotestosterone metabolite, 5alpha-androstane, 3beta,17beta-diol (3beta-Diol)...
- The effect of dihydrotestosterone exposure during or prior to the masculinization programming window on reproductive development in male and female ratsA Dean
MRC Centre for Reproductive Health, University of Edinburgh, The Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh, UK
Int J Androl 35:330-9. 2012..masculinization could be advanced or enhanced by treating pregnant rats with either 1 or 10 mg/kg/day dihydrotestosterone (DHT) prior to (early window, EW; e11.5-e14.5) or during the MPW (e15.5-e18...
- Stereo-selective inhibition of transient receptor potential TRPC5 cation channels by neuroactive steroidsY Majeed
Multidisciplinary Cardiovascular Research Centre, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Br J Pharmacol 162:1509-20. 2011..Steroids are known to modulate fear and anxiety states, and we therefore investigated whether TRPC5 exhibited sensitivity to steroids...
- Prostate cancer stromal cells and LNCaP cells coordinately activate the androgen receptor through synthesis of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone from dehydroepiandrosteroneAtsushi Mizokami
Department of Integrative Cancer Therapy and Urology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Takaramachi, Kanazawa City, Japan
Endocr Relat Cancer 16:1139-55. 2009..Biosynthesis of testosterone or dihydrotestosterone from DHEA in stromal cells and LNCaP cells was involved in this stimulation of LNCaP cell proliferation...
- Endothelial regulation of eNOS, PAI-1 and t-PA by testosterone and dihydrotestosterone in vitro and in vivoL Goglia
Department of Reproductive Medicine and Child Development, Molecular and Cellular Gynecological Endocrinology Laboratory MCGEL, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Mol Hum Reprod 16:761-9. 2010..of this study is the identification of direct endothelial regulation by the androgens testosterone (T) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- The androgen 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone and its metabolite 5alpha-androstan-3beta, 17beta-diol inhibit the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal response to stress by acting through estrogen receptor beta-expressing neurons in the hypothalamusTrent D Lund
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Neurosci 26:1448-56. 2006..action on these neurons, we examined the effects of central implants of 17beta-estradiol (E2), 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the DHT metabolite 5alpha-androstan-3beta, 17beta-diol (3beta-diol), and several ER subtype-..
- Glucocorticoids can promote androgen-independent growth of prostate cancer cells through a mutated androgen receptorX Y Zhao
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Nat Med 6:703-6. 2000..Understanding this mechanism and recognizing the presence of glucocorticoid-responsive AR mutants are important for the development of new forms of therapy for the treatment of this subset of CaP...
- Reexamination of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, estradiol and estrone levels across the menstrual cycle and in postmenopausal women measured by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryMicol S Rothman
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Steroids 76:177-82. 2011..liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) assays to determine testosterone (T) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) along with estradiol (E2) and estrone (E1) levels across the menstrual cycle of 31 healthy ..
- A sex-specific role for androgens in angiogenesisDaniel P Sieveking
Heart Research Institute, Sydney 2042, Australia
J Exp Med 207:345-52. 2010..Our findings suggest that endogenous androgens modulate angiogenesis in a sex-dependent manner, with implications for the role of androgen replacement in men...
- Tissue culture media supplemented with 10% fetal calf serum contains a castrate level of testosteroneJ P Michiel Sedelaar
Department of Oncology, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Prostate 69:1724-9. 2009..e., DC-FCS) is often used instead of FCS to minimize the level of androgen provided in 10% serum supplemented media. Therefore, total and free testosterone levels in 10%DC-FCS containing media were likewise determined...
- Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone, but not estradiol, enhance survival of new hippocampal neurons in adult male ratsMark D Spritzer
Department of Psychology, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 1Z4
Dev Neurobiol 67:1321-33. 2007..We next tested the role of testosterone's two major metabolites, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and estradiol, upon neurogenesis. Thirty days of injections of DHT (0.25 and 0...
- The influence of androgen deprivation therapy on dihydrotestosterone levels in the prostatic tissue of patients with prostate cancerTsutomu Nishiyama
Division of Urology, Department of Regenerative and Transplant Medicine, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, Japan nisiyamamed niigata u ac jp
Clin Cancer Res 10:7121-6. 2004The influence of androgen deprivation therapy on dihydrotestosterone levels in the prostatic tissue is not clearly known...
- 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 stimulates breast cancer by dihydrotestosterone inactivation in addition to estradiol productionJuliette A Aka
Research Center of the Laval University Hospital Center CHUQ CHUL and Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Mol Endocrinol 24:832-45. 2010The active estrogen estradiol (E2) stimulates breast cancer cell (BCC) growth, whereas the androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT) has shown an antiproliferative effect...
- Cloning and characterization of a specific coactivator, ARA70, for the androgen receptor in human prostate cellsS Yeh
Department of Medicine and University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53792, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:5517-21. 1996..which functions as an activator to enhance AR transcriptional activity 10-fold in the presence of 10(-10) M dihydrotestosterone or 10(-9) M testosterone, but not 10(-6) M hydroxyflutamide in human prostate cancer DU145 cells...
- Androgens activate mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling: role in neuroprotectionThuy Vi V Nguyen
Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 0191, USA
J Neurochem 94:1639-51. 2005..We observed that testosterone and its non-aromatizable metabolite dihydrotestosterone (DHT) rapidly and transiently activate MAPK in cultured hippocampal neurons, as evidenced by ..
- Changes in androgen receptor nongenotropic signaling correlate with transition of LNCaP cells to androgen independenceEmmanual Unni
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine and VA Medical Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Cancer Res 64:7156-68. 2004..In AD LNCaP(nan) cells, dihydrotestosterone (DHT) stimulated in an androgen receptor (AR)-dependent way a phosphorylation signaling pathway involving ..
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial of transdermal dihydrotestosterone gel on muscular strength, mobility, and quality of life in older men with partial androgen deficiencyL P Ly
Department of Andrology, Concord Hospital, Concord, New South Wales 2139, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:4078-88. 2001..b>Dihydrotestosterone is the highest potency natural androgen with the additional features that it is neither aromatizable nor ..
- Deleterious effects of dihydrotestosterone on cerebral ischemic injuryJian Cheng
Department of Anesthesiology and Peri Operative Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 27:1553-62. 2007..The present study determined if the potent and nonaromatizable androgen, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), exacerbates ischemic damage in the male rat and alters postischemic gene expression after middle ..
- Postnatal testosterone exposure results in insulin resistance, enlarged mesenteric adipocytes, and an atherogenic lipid profile in adult female rats: comparisons with estradiol and dihydrotestosteroneCamilla Alexanderson
Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Department of Physiology Endocrinology, Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Box 434, 405 30, Goteborg, Sweden
Endocrinology 148:5369-76. 2007..in these programming effects, we compared testosterone-exposed rats to rats exposed to estradiol or dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- Pharmacologic basis for the enhanced efficacy of dutasteride against prostatic cancersYi Xu
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:4072-9. 2006Prostatic dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentration is regulated by precursors from systemic circulation and prostatic enzymes of androgen metabolism, particularly 5alpha-reductases (i.e., SRD5A1 and SRD5A2)...
- Dihydrotestosterone-inducible dickkopf 1 from balding dermal papilla cells causes apoptosis in follicular keratinocytesMi Hee Kwack
Department of Immunology, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea
J Invest Dermatol 128:262-9. 2008..Here, we screened dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-regulated genes in balding DP cells and found that dickkopf 1 (DKK-1) is one of the most upregulated ..
- Development of a quantitative RT-PCR method to study 5alpha-reductase mRNA isozymes in rat prostate in different androgen statusJesus M Torres
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Prostate 56:74-9. 2003..The development and growth of the prostate gland depends on androgen stimulation. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the primary androgen responsible for prostate development and also for the pathogenesis of benign ..
- Persistent intraprostatic androgen concentrations after medical castration in healthy menStephanie T Page
University of Washington Medical Center, Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology and Nutrition, Box 357138, 1959 NE Pacific, Seattle, WA 98195
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:3850-6. 2006..Studies of men with prostate cancer have suggested that prostatic androgens are preserved in the setting of castration. Tissue androgens might stimulate prostate growth, producing adverse clinical consequences...
- Prostatic tissue testosterone and dihydrotestosterone in African-American and white menLeonard S Marks
Department of Urology, University of California, Los Angeles, Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Urology 68:337-41. 2006..To compare tissue androgen levels in the prostate gland of African-American and white men, looking for a possible explanation of the increased incidence of cancer in the former...
- 5alpha-reductase activity in the prostateW D Steers
Department of Urology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Urology 58:17-24; discussion 24. 2001..Testosterone is converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by the enzyme Delta(4), 3 ketosteroid, 5alpha-reductase in prostatic stromal and basal cells...
- Persistent organic pollutants have dose and CAG repeat length dependent effects on androgen receptor activity in vitroChristel Björk
Department of Clinical Sciences, Molecular Genetic Reproductive Medicine, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Reprod Toxicol 32:293-7. 2011..CB-153) and 1,1-bis-(4-chlorophenyl)-2,2-dichloroethene (4,4'-DDE) on 5α-dihydrotestosterone activated ARs containing 16, 22 and 28 CAG repeats, respectively...
- Repression of activated aryl hydrocarbon receptor-induced transcriptional activation by 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone in human prostate cancer LNCaP and human breast cancer T47D cellsNoriko Sanada
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Doshisha Women s College of Liberal Arts, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 109:380-7. 2009..These results suggest that complex formation between activated AR and AhR plays an important role in the suppression of 3MC-induced transcription of CYP1 family genes by DHT...
- Dihydrotestosterone-inducible IL-6 inhibits elongation of human hair shafts by suppressing matrix cell proliferation and promotes regression of hair follicles in miceMi Hee Kwack
Department of Immunology, Kyungpook National University School of Medicine, Daegu, Korea
J Invest Dermatol 132:43-9. 2012Autocrine and paracrine factors are produced by balding dermal papilla (DP) cells following dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-driven alterations and are believed to be key factors involved in male pattern baldness...
- Cloning and characterization of TDD5, an androgen target gene that is differentially repressed by testosterone and dihydrotestosteroneT M Lin
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:4988-93. 1997..blot analysis further demonstrated that the expression of TDD5 was differentially repressed by T and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) at the mRNA level...
- Effects of dihydrotestosterone on synaptic plasticity of hippocampus in male SAMP8 miceSha Li
Department of Human Anatomy, Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang 050017, PR China
Exp Gerontol 48:778-85. 2013..of androgen deficiency on the synaptic plasticity of hippocampus in male SAMP8 mice after castration and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) administration...
- Effect of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone and testosterone on apoptosis in human dermal papilla cellsA Winiarska
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 19:311-21. 2006..not yet fully understood; however, it is commonly accepted that androgens like testosterone (T) and 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (5alpha-DHT) inhibit hair follicle activity with early induction of the catagen...
- Of marsupials and men: "Backdoor" dihydrotestosterone synthesis in male sexual differentiationAnna Biason-Lauber
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, University of Fribourg, Chemin du Musee 5, 1700 Fribourg, Switzerland
Mol Cell Endocrinol 371:124-32. 2013..Fetal Leydig cells produce testosterone that is converted to dihydrotestosterone in genital skin, resulting in labio-scrotal fusion...
- Dihydrotestosterone inhibits interleukin-1α or tumor necrosis factor α-induced proinflammatory cytokine production via androgen receptor-dependent inhibition of nuclear factor-κB activation in rheumatoid fibroblast-like synovial cell lineJian Xu
Department of Molecular Health Sciences, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nagoya City University, 3 1 Tanabe dori, Mizuho ku, Nagoya, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 34:1724-30. 2011..We found that a potent androgen, 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) inhibits IL-1α-induced production and mRNA expression of IL-8, IL-6 and IL-1β from RA patient-..
- Androgens stimulate hypoxia-inducible factor 1 activation via autocrine loop of tyrosine kinase receptor/phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinase/protein kinase B in prostate cancer cellsNicola J Mabjeesh
Winship Cancer Institute, Department of Hematology and Oncology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:2416-25. 2003..Experimental Design: Androgen and antiandrogen effects were evaluated on HIF-1alpha protein and HIF-1 transcriptional activation in human PCA cells...
- The change in the dihydrotestosterone level in the prostate before and after androgen deprivation therapy in connection with prostate cancer aggressiveness using the Gleason scoreTsutomu Nishiyama
Division of Urology, Department of Regenerative and Transplant Medicine, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Niigata, Japan
J Urol 178:1282-8; discussion 1288-9. 2007We investigated the change in dihydrotestosterone in the prostate during androgen deprivation therapy in connection with prostate cancer aggressiveness using the Gleason score.
- Development of highly sensitive quantification method for testosterone and dihydrotestosterone in human serum and prostate tissue by liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometryKouwa Yamashita
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tohoku Pharmaceutical University, 4 1 Komatsushima 4 chome, Aoba ku, Sendai, Miyagi 981 8558, Japan
Steroids 74:920-6. 2009We developed highly sensitive detection of testosterone (T) and 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry using high proton affinitive derivatization of 17beta-hydroxyl ..
- Dihydrotestosterone and the prostate: the scientific rationale for 5alpha-reductase inhibitors in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasiaGerald Andriole
Division of Urological Surgery, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Urol 172:1399-403. 2004We reviewed the physiological and pathogenic role of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), evidence for the beneficial effects of decreasing DHT through 5alpha-reductase inhibition and the effects of altering the androgen balance with these agents.
- Sex differences in brain and plasma beta-endorphin content following testosterone, dihydrotestosterone and estradiol administration to gonadectomized ratsNicola Pluchino
Department of Reproductive Medicine and Child Development, Division of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Neuroendocrinology 89:411-23. 2009The present study aims at evaluating the effect of a 2-week treatment with testosterone (T), dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and estradiol valerate (E(2)V) on brain and plasma beta-endorphin (beta-END) concentrations in gonadectomized rats of ..
- Organizational effects of testosterone, estradiol, and dihydrotestosterone on vasopressin mRNA expression in the bed nucleus of the stria terminalisTina M Han
Center for Neuroendocrine Studies, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
J Neurobiol 54:502-10. 2003..We then sought to determine the effects of testosterone metabolites, estradiol and dihydrotestosterone, given alone or in combination, on AVP expression in the BST...
- Androgen-dependent regulation of human MUC1 mucin expressionStephen Mitchell
Department of Histopathology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Neoplasia 4:9-18. 2002..This is also functionally associated with decreased cell-cell adhesion, a recognised feature of progressive malignancy. These findings have important implications for physiological and pathological processes...
- Thrombospondin-1 regulates the normal prostate in vivo through angiogenesis and TGF-beta activationPhilip P Fitchev
Department of Surgery, NorthShore University HealthSystem Research Institute, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Lab Invest 90:1078-90. 2010..Therefore, loss of TSP-1 during tumorigenesis would eliminate two barriers to cancer progression...
- Dihydrotestosterone interacts with EGFR/MAPK signalling and modulates EGFR levels in androgen receptor-positive LNCaP prostate cancer cellsBiswajit Mukherjee
Hormones and Signal Transduction Group, German Cancer Research Centre, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Oncol 33:623-9. 2008..We found that 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and EGF had a synergistic effect on AR activity as detected by a luciferase reporter system, although ..
- Developmental programming: differential effects of prenatal testosterone and dihydrotestosterone on follicular recruitment, depletion of follicular reserve, and ovarian morphology in sheepPeter Smith
AgResearch Wallaceville, Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Biol Reprod 80:726-36. 2009..Pregnant sheep were given twice-weekly injections of testosterone or dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a nonaromatizable androgen, from Days 30 to 90 of gestation...
- Isoflavone supplements stimulated the production of serum equol and decreased the serum dihydrotestosterone levels in healthy male volunteersM Tanaka
Department of Urology, Nara Medical University, Kashihara, Japan
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 12:247-52. 2009..of sex hormone-binding globulin significantly increased, and the serum levels of free testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) decreased significantly after 3-month supplementation...
- Electrical and manual acupuncture stimulation affect oestrous cyclicity and neuroendocrine function in an 5α-dihydrotestosterone-induced rat polycystic ovary syndrome modelYi Feng
Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Department of Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Exp Physiol 97:651-62. 2012..than manual stimulation in regulating disturbed oestrous cyclicity in rats with PCOS induced by 5α-dihydrotestosterone. To identify the central mechanisms of the effects of stimulation, we assessed hypothalamic mRNA expression ..
- Estrogen receptor β and 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 6, a growth regulatory pathway that is lost in prostate cancerSelvaraj Muthusamy
Center for Nuclear Receptors and Cell Signaling, University of Houston, Houston, TX 77204, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:20090-4. 2011..The proliferative action of the androgen receptor is activated by 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Thus, prostate growth is governed by the balance between androgen receptor and ERβ activation...
- The effects of injected testosterone dose and age on the conversion of testosterone to estradiol and dihydrotestosterone in young and older menKishore M Lakshman
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Boston Claude D Pepper Older Americans Independence Center for Function Promoting Therapies, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, 670 Albany Street, Second Floor, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3955-64. 2010During testosterone (T) therapy, T is partly converted to 17beta-estradiol (E2) and 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Effects of age, testosterone dose, and body composition on total and free E2 and DHT levels are unknown.
- Steroid 5alpha-reductase isozymes in the adult female rat brain: central role of dihydrotestosteroneJ M Torres
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Granada, Avda de Madrid s n, 18012 Granada, Spain
J Mol Endocrinol 36:239-45. 2006..In this work, we studied the effects of testosterone (T) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) on mRNA levels of both 5alpha-R isoforms in the prefrontal cortex of the adult female rat by one-step ..
- Androgens and estrogens induce seasonal-like growth of song nuclei in the adult songbird brainAnthony D Tramontin
Department of Neurosurgery Research, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Neurobiol 57:130-40. 2003..regressed song control nuclei were implanted with silastic capsules containing either crystalline T, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), estradiol (E(2)), or a combination of DHT+E(2). Control animals received empty implants...
- Androgen receptor signaling induced by supraphysiological doses of dihydrotestosterone in human peripheral blood lymphocytesEsther Imperlini
Fondazione SDN IRCCS, Napoli, Italy
Proteomics 10:3165-75. 2010..Testosterone, the main male sexual hormone, binds AR directly and indirectly, through conversion into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), its more active metabolite...
- Nuclear compartmentalization of N-CoR and its interactions with steroid receptorsYin Wu
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 26:6633-55. 2006..In fluorescence recovery after photobleaching analysis, mobility of the N-CoR was reduced by 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-bound AR...
- Sexual dimorphism of growth plate prehypertrophic and hypertrophic chondrocytes in response to testosterone requires metabolism to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by steroid 5-alpha reductase type 1P Raz
Hebrew University Hadassah, Jerusalem, Israel
J Cell Biochem 95:108-19. 2005..response of rat costochondral cartilage cells to testosterone requires further metabolism of the hormone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- Upregulation of prostate specific membrane antigen/folate hydrolase transcription by an enhancerKenneth R Noss
Research Service 151, Overton Brooks Veterans Administration Medical Center, Shreveport, LA 71101 4295, USA
Gene 285:247-56. 2002..These results demonstrate significant upregulation of transcription by the PSMA promoter/enhancer, with specificity for the LNCaP prostate cell line, and downregulation of transcription in response to physiological levels of androgen...
- Lack of effect of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone compared to 17beta-oestradiol in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6, tetrahydropyridine-miceA Ekue
Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology Research Center, Laval University Medical Center, CHUL and Faculty of Pharmacy, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
J Neuroendocrinol 14:731-6. 2002..The effects of 17beta-oestradiol (2 microg/day), testosterone (100 microg/day) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) (2 microg/day or 100 microg/day) were studied during 5 days before and after an acute treatment of ..
- A novel spreadsheet method for calculating the free serum concentrations of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, estradiol, estrone and cortisol: with illustrative examples from male and female populationsNorman A Mazer
Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, United States
Steroids 74:512-9. 2009In humans, testosterone (T), dihydrotestosterone (DHT), estradiol (E2), estrone (E1) and cortisol (C) bind to the serum proteins sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), albumin (Alb) and corticosteroid-binding globulin (CBG)...
- The role of 5alpha-reduction in steroid hormone physiologyJ D Wilson
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75390 8857, USA
Reprod Fertil Dev 13:673-8. 2001A role for 5alpha-reduction in androgen physiology was first established with the recognition that dihydrotestosterone, the 5alpha-reduced metabolite of testosterone, is formed in many androgen target tissues, binds to the androgen ..
- Estrogen receptor-beta mediates dihydrotestosterone-induced stimulation of the arginine vasopressin promoter in neuronal cellsToni R Pak
Department of Biomedical Science, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
Endocrinology 148:3371-82. 2007..However, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) has also been shown to play a role in the regulation of AVP expression, thus implicating the ..
- A novel ultrapressure liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method for the simultaneous determination of androstenedione, testosterone, and dihydrotestosterone in pediatric blood samples: age- and sex-specific reference dataA E Kulle
Department of Pediatrics, Christian Albrechts University of Kiel, 24105 Kiel, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2399-409. 2010..Mass spectrometry-based methods are available for individual steroids but need complex sample preparation and report only fragmentary reference data for the pediatric population...
- Androgen receptor (AR) NH2- and COOH-terminal interactions result in the differential influences on the AR-mediated transactivation and cell growthCheng Lung Hsu
The George H Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Pathology, and the Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Mol Endocrinol 19:350-61. 2005..peptides can suppress prostate cancer LNCaP cell growth at different levels in the presence of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone, but only the tested FXXLF-containing peptides, not FXXMF-containing peptides, can suppress prostate cancer ..
- Dihydrotestosterone decreases tumor necrosis factor-alpha and lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory response in human endothelial cellsGiuseppe Danilo Norata
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Italy, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:546-54. 2006..It was suggested that testosterone may act after conversion into estradiol and activation of the estrogen receptors; however, a direct role of androgens on the vascular wall has been proposed...
- Activated androgen receptor downregulates E-cadherin gene expression and promotes tumor metastasisYan Nian Liu
Institute of Medical Sciences, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
Mol Cell Biol 28:7096-108. 2008..Treating cells with the AR ligand, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), triggered the reduction of E-cadherin expression and induced changes in cell morphology from an ..
- Androgen biosynthetic pathways in the human prostateVan Luu-The
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology, Laval University Hospital Research Center, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 22:207-21. 2008It is well recognized that there are two androgens, namely testosterone (T) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT); T plays an important role in the testis and muscle, and DHT is crucial for the development, function and pathology of the prostate...
- Androgen treatment and muscle strength in elderly men: A meta-analysisKenneth J Ottenbacher
Division of Rehabilitation Sciences, Sealy Center on Aging, Houston, Texas, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1666-73. 2006..To review published, randomized trials examining the effect of androgen treatment on muscle strength in older men...
- p66Shc protein is upregulated by steroid hormones in hormone-sensitive cancer cells and in primary prostate carcinomasMing Shyue Lee
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, USA
Int J Cancer 108:672-8. 2004..05). The data collectively indicate that p66(Shc) protein levels correlate with steroid hormone-stimulated cell growth and prostate carcinogenesis...
- Multiple steps determine the overall rate of the reduction of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone catalyzed by human type 3 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase: implications for the elimination of androgensYi Jin
Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6084, USA
Biochemistry 45:13054-63. 2006..or aldo-keto reductase (AKR) 1C2, eliminates the androgen signal in human prostate by reducing 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT, potent androgen) to form 3alpha-androstanediol (inactive androgen), thereby depriving the androgen ..
- Inhibition of MCF-7 breast cancer cell proliferation by 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone; a role for p21(Cip1/Waf1)M A Greeve
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Royal Perth Hospital, Wellington Street, Perth, Western Australia 6000, Australia
J Mol Endocrinol 32:793-810. 2004..In this study, treatment of asynchronously growing MCF-7 breast cancer cells with the androgen, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), was shown to inhibit cell proliferation and induce moderate increases in the proportion of G1 phase ..
- Dihydrotestosterone and leptin regulate gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) expression and secretion in human GnRH-secreting neuroblastsAnnamaria Morelli
Andrology Unit, Department of Clinical Physiotherapy, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Sex Med 6:397-407. 2009....
- Dihydrotestosterone sensitises LNCaP cells to death induced by epigallocatechin-3-Gallate (EGCG) or an IGF-I receptor inhibitorFrancis Thomas
IGF and Metabolic Endocrinology Group, Department of Clinical Sciences North Bristol, The Medical School Unit, Southmead Hospital, Bristol, UK
Prostate 69:219-24. 2009..Compelling evidence has accumulated for chemopreventive effects for the active component of green tea Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate (EGCG) particularly for prostate cancer (CaP)...
- Mathematical model for the androgenic regulation of the prostate in intact and castrated adult male ratsLaura K Potter
Curriculum in Toxicology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291:E952-64. 2006..The model describes the systemic and local kinetics of testosterone (T), 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and luteinizing hormone (LH), with metabolism of T to DHT by 5alpha-reductase in liver and prostate...
- Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 is regulated by dihydrotestosterone and stimulates deoxyribonucleic acid synthesis and cell proliferation in LNCaP prostate carcinoma cellsJ L Martin
Kolling Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia
Endocrinology 141:2401-9. 2000..Confluent monolayers of cells secreted approximately 0.7 ng/ml IGFBP-3 over 24 h. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT, 10 nM) and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (vitamin D, 10 nM) increased IGFBP-3 in media to 149 +/- 15% and ..
- Uterine adenocarcinoma in mice following developmental treatment with estrogens: a model for hormonal carcinogenesisR R Newbold
Developmental Endocrinology and Pharmacology Section, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, NIH, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
Cancer Res 50:7677-81. 1990..The experimental induction of these tumors will provide the basis for additional studies in mechanisms of hormonal carcinogenesis...
- Differential regulation of rat testicular 5alpha-reductase type 1 and 2 isoforms by testosterone and FSHK Pratis
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, PO Box 5152, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
J Endocrinol 176:393-403. 2003Testosterone is metabolised to the more potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone, by the 5alpha-reductase (5alphaR) enzyme...
- Oxidative 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity of human type 10 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenaseXue Ying He
Department of Pharmacology, New York State Institute for Basic Research in Developmental Disabilities, Staten Island, NY 10314, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 87:191-8. 2003..catalyzes the oxidation of 5alpha-androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol (adiol), an almost inactive androgen, to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) rather than androsterone or androstanedione...
- 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) retards wound closure by inhibiting re-epithelializationS C Gilliver
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Michael Smith Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
J Pathol 217:73-82. 2009..We previously demonstrated that blocking the conversion of testosterone to 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) limits its ability to impair healing, suggesting that DHT is a more potent inhibitor of repair than ..
- Dihydrotestosterone differentially modulates the cortisol response of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in male and female rhesus macaques, and restores circadian secretion of cortisol in femalesDonna J Toufexis
Division of Developmental and Cognitive Neuroscience, Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Emory University, 954 Gatewood Road, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Brain Res 1429:43-51. 2012..male rhesus macaques, and replacement with sex-specific low and high physiological doses of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the same adult males as well as in adult, gonadally-suppressed, female rhesus macaques...
- Prx1 enhances androgen receptor function in prostate cancer cells by increasing receptor affinity to dihydrotestosteroneRishi Raj Chhipa
Department of Cancer Prevention and Control, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Mol Cancer Res 7:1543-52. 2009..In the present study, we evaluated the biological significance of Prx1 in modulating dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-stimulated growth and AR target gene expression of prostate cancer cells...
- Gonadal steroid attenuation of developing hamster facial motoneuron loss by axotomy: equal efficacy of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, and 17-beta estradiolChristopher B Huppenbauer
Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology, and Anatomy, Loyola University Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
J Neurosci 25:4004-13. 2005..The second half examines the neuroprotective effects of testosterone propionate, 17-beta estradiol, and dihydrotestosterone on FMNs of P7 hamsters after facial nerve transection at the SMF...
- Atmospheric pressure photoionization tandem mass spectrometry of androgens in prostate cancerFred Bjørn Lih
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences National Institutes of Health Department of Health and Human Services, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709 2233, USA
Anal Chem 82:6000-7. 2010..Quantitation of the saturated keto-steroids dihydrotestosterone and 5-alpha-androstanedione required detection of a novel parent ion, [M + 15](+)...
- Identification of the major oxidative 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in human prostate that converts 5alpha-androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol to 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone: a potential therapeutic target for androgen-dependent diseaseDavid R Bauman
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6084, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:444-58. 2006Androgen-dependent prostate diseases initially require 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) for growth...
- Differential effects of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone and estradiol on carotenoid deposition in an avian sexually selected signalStefania Casagrande
Behavioral Biology, Centre for Behavior and Neuroscience, University of Groningen, Haren, The Netherlands
J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 197:1-13. 2011..T can be converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and estradiol (E2), and variation in conversion rate may partly explain some contradictory findings ..
- Dihydrotestosterone may inhibit hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal activity by acting through estrogen receptor in the male mouseTrent D Lund
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Anatomy W103, 1617 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1670, USA
Neurosci Lett 365:43-7. 2004..to environmental perturbation has been shown to be enhanced by estrogen but inhibited by the androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT). However, the mechanism of androgen's action has not been identified...
- Epidermal-growth-factor-dependent phosphorylation and ubiquitinylation of MAGE-11 regulates its interaction with the androgen receptorSuxia Bai
Laboratories for Reproductive Biology, CB 7500, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7500, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:1947-63. 2008..EGF in the presence of dihydrotestosterone stabilizes the AR-MAGE complex through the site-specific phosphorylation of MAGE-11 at Thr-360 and ..
- The proliferative effects of 5-androstene-3 beta,17 beta-diol and 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone on cell cycle analysis and cell proliferation in MCF7, T47D and MDAMB231 breast cancer cell linesS R Aspinall
School of Surgery and Reproductive Sciences, The Medical School, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, Benton NE2 4HH, UK
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 88:37-51. 2004..In this study the proliferative affects of 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone and 5-androstene-3 beta,17 beta-diol, which may be considered true metabolites acting at a tissue level, on ..
- The effect of dutasteride on intraprostatic dihydrotestosterone concentrations in men with benign prostatic hyperplasiaR Wurzel
Department of Urology, Grove Hill Medical Center, New Britain, CT 06052, USA
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 10:149-54. 2007The dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, dutasteride has been shown to suppress serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by >90%. In the present study, the effect of dutasteride 0.5 mg/day on intraprostatic DHT levels was investigated...
- Androgen metabolism in the prostate of the finasteride-treated, adult rat: a possible explanation for the differential action of testosterone and 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone during development of the male urogenital tractF W George
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 8857, USA
Endocrinology 138:871-7. 1997Previous work has clearly demonstrated that inhibition of 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) formation in vivo is not as effective as total androgen ablation (castration) in causing involution of the prostate...
- Role of 5-alpha Reductase in Testosterone ActionsShalendar Bhasin; Fiscal Year: 2007..as a prohormone that is converted in the body to two active metabolites, estradiol 17beta and 5-alpha dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- A Soft Topical Antiandrogenic DrugWei Chu Xu; Fiscal Year: 2013..is now widely recognized that testosterone (T) is an androgenic precursor of the more potent 5[unreadable]-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), produced by 5[unreadable]-reductase type 2...
- Equol and Regulation of Prostate GrowthRobert J Handa; Fiscal Year: 2011..circulating testosterone;inhibition of 5-alpha reductase, an enzyme that synthesizes the potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone;or blocking the actions of the androgen receptor...
- Interactions of MAO A with vulnerability factors for aggressionMarco Bortolato; Fiscal Year: 2012..found that 5-1 reductase (5AR), the enzyme that converts testosterone into its potent androgenic metabolite dihydrotestosterone (DHT), is affected by early stress and MAO-A deficiency;furthermore, its inhibition by finasteride reduces ..
- Xin Li; Fiscal Year: 2014..treated with metformin, metformin plus rapamycin or vehicle for 12- and 24-weeks and MYC, testosterone (T), dihydrotestosterone (DHT), androgen receptor levels, proliferation, apoptosis indices and microvessel density will be ..
- Androgen Modulation of Neurodegeneration in Dopamine NeuronsRebecca L Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2010..gonadally intact aged males, and gonadectomized aged males plus replacement androgen (testosterone or dihydrotestosterone) for either a chronic (3 months) or acute (1 week) treatment time length prior to 6-OHDA lesion...
- A Novel Synthetic Androgen Receptor AntagonistZhongyun Dong; Fiscal Year: 2012..DL3 inhibits dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-stimulated cell growth and gene expression in all prostate cancer cell lines tested, including ..
- Ovarian Androgen Production and Control of Follicular FuntionK M JAIRAM MENON; Fiscal Year: 2010..The specific step(s) in this pathway affected by dihydrotestosterone will also be determined...
- Androgen Receptor Function in Prostate CancerRichard G Pestell; Fiscal Year: 2013..AR acetylation and phosphorylation are linked, 2. SirT1 expression and function are regulated by dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and metabolism 3. AR is repressed by the NAD-dependent histone deacetylases (SirT1), and 4...
- Prenatal androgen exposure: adverse effects and novel treatment strategies.FARAH H MORGAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..In mice, in utero exposure to the non-aromatizable androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT) generates female offspring that exhibit androgen excess, increased excitatory neurotransmission to ..
- Nima Sharifi; Fiscal Year: 2016..that has been clinically validated has demonstrated that conversion from adrenal precursor steroids to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the most potent androgen that drives CRPC progression, unexpectedly bypasses testosterone...
- In vivo effects of sulforaphane supplementation on normal human prostateDaniel W Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013..and reduces oxidative damage in human prostate and (2) increases DHT catabolism and reduces intra-prostatic dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentration...
- Chawnshang Chang; Fiscal Year: 2015..we found near 25% of ARKO mice develop BBN-induced bladder tumor after supplementation with the androgen, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), suggesting DHT is able to function through non-AR pathways to promote bladder tumor progression...
- Nima Sharifi; Fiscal Year: 2016..Recent studies have shown that synthesis of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the most potent androgen that drives CRPC progression, unexpectedly bypasses testosterone...
- MECHANISM OF SELENIUM POTENTIATION OF FINASTERIDE EFFICACYCLEMENT C IP; Fiscal Year: 2011..inhibitor of 5a-reductase, an enzyme responsible for the irreversible conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- Stephanie T Page; Fiscal Year: 2014DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Testosterone (T) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) are the major androgens in the human prostate and are required for normal prostate development and homeostasis...
- Development of New therapies for Advanced Prostate CancerKimberly M Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2011..The AR mediates the response to androgens (hormones) such as dihydrotestosterone making it a validated drug target in prostate cancer and other human diseases...
- Association between the Y chromosome and androgensKathryn Sandberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..Serum concentrations of free testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and dihydrotestosterone will be assessed by radioimmunoassay...
- BPH AND PROSTATE CA IN 5A-REDUCTASE-2 DEFICIENT CARRIERSJulianne Imperato McGinley; Fiscal Year: 2000The major phase of this study if designed to test the hypothesis that a mild decrease in dihydrotestosterone (DHT) throughout life will prevent the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostate cancer...
- Impact of Puberty on the Kidney in DiabetesPASCALE LANE; Fiscal Year: 2005..the role of the androgen receptor in the renal response to DM; and 5)Determine whether conversion to dihydrotestosterone is necessary for the post-pubertal renal response to STZ DM...
- STEROID 5 ALPHA REDUCTASE--STRUCTURE/FUNCTIONShutsung Liao; Fiscal Year: 2000..5a-Reductase converts testosterone, the major circulating androgen in men, to dihydrotestosterone, a process believed to amplify the androgenic signal...
- Mechanisms of Testosterone Effects on Body CompositionShalendar Bhasin; Fiscal Year: 2007..We hypothesize that testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT), two prototypical androgens, promote the differentiation of adult, pluripotent mesenchymal stem cells ..
- Testosterone:Physical Function in Men on HemodialysisShalender Bhasin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Total and free testosterone and dihydrotestosterone levels will be measured as markers of androgen bioavailability, and LH, FSH, and SHBG as markers of ..
- Hypospadias: Interactions of Sex Steroids and Fgfr2Martin Cohn; Fiscal Year: 2006..second phase of male phallic development requires embryonic exposure to an androgen, either testosterone or dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Disruption of androgen signaling can induce hypospadias both in mammals and in alligators...
- TESTOSTERONE EFFECTS ON GONADOTROPINS AND LIPIDS IN MENCARRIE BAGATELL; Fiscal Year: 1992..T may exert its regulatory effects directly or via the actions of its metabolites dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and estradiol (E2)...
- Estrogen Metabolism and Action in Prostate Cancer Etiology in PCPTAshraful Hoque; Fiscal Year: 2007..inhibitor finasteride (versus placebo) found that inhibiting SRD5A2 from converting testosterone into dihydrotestosterone reduced total prostate cancer risk by 25%, but also increased the risk of high-grade cancer...
- Formulated Phytosterols - A New Treatment For Benign Prostatic HyperplasiaCURTIS SPILBURG; Fiscal Year: 2006..This unchecked growth is most likely caused by dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and it produces a decreasing quality of life because of deterioration of urinary flow rate, nocturia ..
- Allium Compounds in Control of Human Prostate CancerJOHN PINTO; Fiscal Year: 2003..To test I validity of this hypothesis, we shall measure the conversion rate of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a more potent metabolite, through 5-alpha reductase, and the formation rate of a series of inactive ..
- ANDROGENS REGULATE IGF PATHWAY AND PROSTATE DISEASESJulianne Imperato McGinley; Fiscal Year: 2001..Blocking conversion of testosterone to 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), inhibits prostatic IGF-I and IGF-I receptor gene expression while inducing IGFBP-3 gene expression...
- Pharmacogenetics of Alcohol: Treatment ImplicationsJonathan Covault; Fiscal Year: 2009..Dutasteride is a 5-alpha steroid reductase (5AR) inhibitor that limits the production of dihydrotestosterone and the 5alpha-reduced neuroactive steroids allopregnanolone, pregnanolone and 3alpha, 5alpha-THDOC...
- ANDROGEN REGULATION OF HUMAN SEBACEOUS GLANDSDiane Thiboutot; Fiscal Year: 2001..individual transcripts, will enable us to test the following hypotheses: i) Conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone by type 1 5a-reductase in fibroblasts and sebocytes is an obligatory step in the modulation of SG growth ..
- DIAGNOSTIC CENTERM Lucia; Fiscal Year: 2004..centers; these assays will include prostate specific antigen, luteinizing hormone, testosterone, and dihydrotestosterone. Blood chemistries will be carried out initially and annually for the duration of the trial (described in ..
- PHARMACOLOGICAL STUDIES OF CENTRAL SYNAPTIC TRANSMISSIONSOLOMON ERULKAR; Fiscal Year: 1990..By the use of patch clamp techniques, we have shown that 5-alpha-dihydrotestosterone (5 alpha-DHT) added to the bath can induce: 1) "anesthetic-like" effects at Acetylcholine (ACh)-activated ..
- ABP AND THE REGULATION OF GERM CELL APOPTOSIS IN TESTISPeter Petrusz; Fiscal Year: 2000..This may involve not only testosterone, but also is biologically active intratesticular metabolites dihydrotestosterone and estradiol...
- Inhibitors of 5alpha-reductase for acne therapyLingna Li; Fiscal Year: 2002..4-MA) incorporated into liposomes selectively induces apoptosis and inhibits growth of the dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-dependent hamster flank organ sebaceous gland...
- METABOLISM & CONTROL OF TESTOSTERONE ANDROGENS IN MANRichard Horton; Fiscal Year: 1990..While it is generally agreed that dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is synthesized peripherally and is the nuclear androgen in sexual tissue, markers of these events, ..
- 5 ALPHA REDUCTASE GENOTYPE, RACE PROSTATE CANCER RISKLaurence Kedes; Fiscal Year: 2003..Regulation of prostatic cell growth is largely controlled by androgens including especially dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- Mechanisms of sex-determined resistance to L. mexicanaAbhay Satoskar; Fiscal Year: 2005..Moreover, we also found that ovactomized female DBA/2 mice treated with dihydrotestosterone (DHT); a derivative of testosterone that can not be converted to estradiol, become susceptible to L...
- FACTORS INFLUENCING TESTICULAR DESCENTFREDRICK GEORGE; Fiscal Year: 1992..The role of 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone in gubernacular differentiation and development will be examined in vivo by determining the effect of ..
- Developmental toxicity of environmental chemicalsFREDERICK VOM SAAL; Fiscal Year: 2006..occurs; preliminary evidence suggests this is due to a decrease in the enzyme 5a-reductase, required for dihydrotestosterone (DHT) formation...
- MALE PSEUDOHERMAPHRODITISM--THE BIOLOGY OF ANDROGENSJulianne Imperato McGinley; Fiscal Year: 1992..are unique experiments of nature to elucidate the differential effects of testosterone (T) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in male sexual differentiation and development as well as other androgen mediated physiologic ..
- ANDROGEN GLUCURONIDES AS MARKERS OF ANDROGEN ACTIONDELWOOD COLLINS; Fiscal Year: 1991Androgen action appears to occur only after conversion of testosterone (T) to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) or 5 alpha-androstanediol (3 alpha A) in some androgen responsive tissues...
- Membrane Androgen Receptors in NeuroprotectionMeharvan Singh; Fiscal Year: 2007..Classically, the effects of androgens like dihydrotestosterone (DHT) are attributed to the regulation of gene transcription through the androgen receptor, a member of the ..
- Anti-androgenic mechanism of a new compoundCharles Shih; Fiscal Year: 2002..We recently found that a derivative of diferuloylmethane (Compound 4) inhibited dihydrotestosterone-induced androgen receptor transactivation in human prostate cancer cells...
- Saw Palmetto Use and Risk of Prostate CancerI Min Lee; Fiscal Year: 2004..5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, has been proposed to play a key role in the etiology of prostate cancer; thus, the NCI is currently ..
- Coronary Reactivity and Thromboxane Receptor ExpressionR Hermsmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2005..The androgen path, particularly dihydrotestosterone (DHT), appears to be important...
- Hormonal Control of SBMA PathogenesisDiane Merry; Fiscal Year: 2007..findings have shown that the disease is initiated by the binding of the AR to its ligand, testosterone or dihydrotestosterone, and its subsequent translocation to the nucleus...
- ANDROGEN RECEPTOR MEDIATED DETECTION OF PROSTATE CANCERPradeep Garg; Fiscal Year: 2000..We plan to explore this newly developed tracer for its potential as clinically utilizable imaging agent. ..
- Biology of the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT)Scott Lippman; Fiscal Year: 2009..and finasteride inhibits 5a-reductase, thus blocking the conversion of testosterone (by 5a-reductase) to dihydrotestosterone, the most active prostate androgen...
- HUMAN PROSTATIC 3A HYDROXYSTEROID DEHYDROGENASEHsueh Kung Lin; Fiscal Year: 2002..dehydrogenases (3a-HSDs) may regulate the occupancy of androgen receptor (AR) by interconverting 5a-dihydrotestosterone (5a-DHT, a potent androgen) with 5a-androstane-3a,17b-diol (3a-diol, a weak androgen)...
- Metabolic effects of steroid hormones in obese menKaren Herbst; Fiscal Year: 2007..randomized, double-blind trial to determine the effects of T and its metabolites, estradiol (E2) and 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) on insulin sensitivity, body composition and lipid metabolism in obese men with low or low-normal T ..
- REGULATION OF ANDROGEN RECEPTOR ACTIVITY IN THE PROSTATEMichael Garabedian; Fiscal Year: 2003..Although androgen hormones, such as dihydrotestosterone (DHT), act as the primary signal in activating AR's transcriptional regulatory functions, AR-mediated ..
- SIGNIFICANCE OF ANTINUCLEIC ACID ANTIBODIES IN LUPUSNorman Talal; Fiscal Year: 1980..autoimmune disease in NZB/NZW F1 mice (B/W) has been studied in four main areas: 1) Ability of 5-alpha dihydrotestosterone to suppress autoimmune disease in older animals...
- CELLULAR INTERACTIONS AND PROSTATE GROWTHLeland Chung; Fiscal Year: 1993..In this study, we will pursue two major objectives: 1. We will define the role of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in stromal-epithelial interactions in the rat prostate gland...
- Molecular Determinants of Androgen Receptor PharmacologyDonald McDonnell; Fiscal Year: 2006..Compounds like dihydrotestosterone (DHT) functioned as agonists by binding to and inducing a change in receptor structure...
- HORMONAL VS CHEMICAL CARCINOGENESIS IN THE RAT PROSTATEMaarten Bosland; Fiscal Year: 1992..1) Is the DLP dysplasia induced by administration of estradiol-17beta(E2) in combination with 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) a preneoplastic lesion, and what is the most effective dose of E2 for studying the long term effects ..
- Northeast Under/Grad Research Organization for NeuroscienceCheryl Frye; Fiscal Year: 2008..Both of these outcomes are congruous with the Public Health Service's mission to ensure that there is a resource of well-trained scientists and health-care providers in the United States. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OVARIAN STEROID REGULATION OF SEROTONIN IN PRIMATESCYNTHIA LOUISE BETHEA; Fiscal Year: 2010..Altogether, we will show that ovarian steroids support serotonin neuron survival and we will provide pivotal underlying genomic mechanisms. ..
- Rhesus Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Serotonin NeuronsCYNTHIA BETHEA; Fiscal Year: 2007..The knowledge obtained from this work will lead to novel treatments for psychoneuropathologies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Androgen action in bone: Overexpression of ARKristine M Wiren; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will identify specific molecular events/pathways influenced by androgen treatment in bone, and should lead to an improved understanding of mechanisms that influence adult bone size and quality. ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Multistage CarcinogenesisTREVOR PENNING; Fiscal Year: 2006..By studying the discrete molecular events responsible for the causation of cancer this Program may lead to the early prevention and intervention of this disease. ..
- Persistent changes in brain expression after withdrawalKRISTINE WIREN; Fiscal Year: 2003..e. physical dependence leading to withdrawal seizures) are regulated at the genetic level. This knowledge may help in the development of new strategies for the treatment of alcohol dependence. ..
- Symposium on Aldo-Keto Reductases & Toxicant MetabolismTREVOR PENNING; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Oral Androgen Administration and Function in ManJOHN AMORY; Fiscal Year: 2008..Matsumoto M.D., Director, Clinical Research Unit VA-Puget Sound and Professor of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine will co-mentor this award. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FEMALE SEXUAL AROUSAL: CLITORAL AND VAGINAL PHYSIOLOGYAbdulmaged Traish; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Harbor-UCLA Initiative for Minority Student DevelopmentChristina Wang; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF SEX STEROID ACTION IN PROSTATE CANCERYuan Shan Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2005..Androgens especially dihydrotestosterone (DHT) play a critical role in prostate development, growth and pathogenesis of benign prostate hyperplasia ..