Genomes and Genes
Summary: A potent androgenic metabolite of TESTOSTERONE. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is generated by a 5-alpha reduction of testosterone. Unlike testosterone, DHT cannot be aromatized to ESTRADIOL therefore DHT is considered a pure androgenic steroid.
Publications221 found, 100 shown here
- Developmental time course of estradiol, testosterone, and dihydrotestosterone levels in discrete regions of male and female rat brainAnne T M Konkle
Faculty of Health Sciences, Interdisciplinary School of Health Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
Endocrinology 152:223-35. 2011..profile of steroids in the rat brain using RIA to quantify the level of estradiol, testosterone, and dihydrotestosterone in discrete subregions of the brain from embryonic d 19 to adulthood...
- The androgen axis in recurrent prostate cancerJames L Mohler
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of North Carolina Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Clin Cancer Res 10:440-8. 2004..High levels of expression of androgen receptor and androgen receptor-regulated genes in recurrent prostate cancer suggest a role for androgen receptor and its ligands in prostate cancer recurrence...
- Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone tissue levels in recurrent prostate cancerMark A Titus
Department of Pathology, UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, 27599 7295, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:4653-7. 2005..Many groups have pursued mechanisms of ligand-independent androgen receptor activation but we found high levels of testicular androgens in recurrent prostate cancer tissue using RIA...
- A new rat model exhibiting both ovarian and metabolic characteristics of polycystic ovary syndromeLouise Mannerås
Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Department of Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Box 434, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Endocrinology 148:3781-91. 2007..Female rats received the nonaromatizable androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT) or the aromatase inhibitor letrozole by continuous administration, beginning before puberty, to ..
- Endothelial regulation of eNOS, PAI-1 and t-PA by testosterone and dihydrotestosterone in vitro and in vivoL Goglia
Department of Reproductive Medicine and Child Development, Molecular and Cellular Gynecological Endocrinology Laboratory MCGEL, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Mol Hum Reprod 16:761-9. 2010..of this study is the identification of direct endothelial regulation by the androgens testosterone (T) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- The androgen 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone and its metabolite 5alpha-androstan-3beta, 17beta-diol inhibit the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal response to stress by acting through estrogen receptor beta-expressing neurons in the hypothalamusTrent D Lund
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Neurosci 26:1448-56. 2006..action on these neurons, we examined the effects of central implants of 17beta-estradiol (E2), 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the DHT metabolite 5alpha-androstan-3beta, 17beta-diol (3beta-diol), and several ER subtype-..
- Tissue culture media supplemented with 10% fetal calf serum contains a castrate level of testosteroneJ P Michiel Sedelaar
Department of Oncology, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Prostate 69:1724-9. 2009..e., DC-FCS) is often used instead of FCS to minimize the level of androgen provided in 10% serum supplemented media. Therefore, total and free testosterone levels in 10%DC-FCS containing media were likewise determined...
- Activated androgen receptor downregulates E-cadherin gene expression and promotes tumor metastasisYan Nian Liu
Institute of Medical Sciences, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
Mol Cell Biol 28:7096-108. 2008..Treating cells with the AR ligand, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), triggered the reduction of E-cadherin expression and induced changes in cell morphology from an ..
- Modulation of androgen receptor activation function 2 by testosterone and dihydrotestosteroneEmily B Askew
Curriculum in Toxicology, Laboratories for Reproductive Biology, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, Department of Pediatrics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
J Biol Chem 282:25801-16. 2007..transcriptionally activated by high affinity binding of testosterone (T) or its 5alpha-reduced metabolite, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a more potent androgen required for male reproductive tract development...
- Upregulation of prostate specific membrane antigen/folate hydrolase transcription by an enhancerKenneth R Noss
Research Service (151, Overton Brooks Veterans Administration Medical Center, Shreveport, LA 71101-4295, USA
Gene 285:247-56. 2002..These results demonstrate significant upregulation of transcription by the PSMA promoter/enhancer, with specificity for the LNCaP prostate cell line, and downregulation of transcription in response to physiological levels of androgen...
- Stereo-selective inhibition of transient receptor potential TRPC5 cation channels by neuroactive steroidsY Majeed
Multidisciplinary Cardiovascular Research Centre, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Br J Pharmacol 162:1509-20. 2011..Steroids are known to modulate fear and anxiety states, and we therefore investigated whether TRPC5 exhibited sensitivity to steroids...
- Dihydrotestosterone synthesis bypasses testosterone to drive castration-resistant prostate cancerKai Hsiung Chang
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8852, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13728-33. 2011..The development of CRPC is dependent upon the intratumoral generation of the potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), from adrenal precursor steroids...
- Lack of effect of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone compared to 17beta-oestradiol in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6, tetrahydropyridine-miceA Ekue
Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology Research Center, Laval University Medical Center, CHUL and Faculty of Pharmacy, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
J Neuroendocrinol 14:731-6. 2002..The effects of 17beta-oestradiol (2 microg/day), testosterone (100 microg/day) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) (2 microg/day or 100 microg/day) were studied during 5 days before and after an acute treatment of ..
- Dihydrotestosterone sensitises LNCaP cells to death induced by epigallocatechin-3-Gallate (EGCG) or an IGF-I receptor inhibitorFrancis Thomas
IGF and Metabolic Endocrinology Group, Department of Clinical Sciences North Bristol, The Medical School Unit, Southmead Hospital, Bristol, UK
Prostate 69:219-24. 2009..Compelling evidence has accumulated for chemopreventive effects for the active component of green tea Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate (EGCG) particularly for prostate cancer (CaP)...
- The role of 5alpha-reduction in steroid hormone physiologyJ D Wilson
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75390 8857, USA
Reprod Fertil Dev 13:673-8. 2001A role for 5alpha-reduction in androgen physiology was first established with the recognition that dihydrotestosterone, the 5alpha-reduced metabolite of testosterone, is formed in many androgen target tissues, binds to the androgen ..
- Pharmacologic basis for the enhanced efficacy of dutasteride against prostatic cancersYi Xu
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:4072-9. 2006Prostatic dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentration is regulated by precursors from systemic circulation and prostatic enzymes of androgen metabolism, particularly 5alpha-reductases (i.e., SRD5A1 and SRD5A2)...
- Role of androgens on MCF-7 breast cancer cell growth and on the inhibitory effect of letrozoleLuciana F Macedo
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, University of Maryland, 685 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Cancer Res 66:7775-82. 2006..Here, we report that androgens, such as the aromatizable androstenedione and the non-aromatizable 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone, inhibit MCF-7 cell proliferation...
- Estrogen receptor-beta mediates dihydrotestosterone-induced stimulation of the arginine vasopressin promoter in neuronal cellsToni R Pak
Department of Biomedical Science, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
Endocrinology 148:3371-82. 2007..However, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) has also been shown to play a role in the regulation of AVP expression, thus implicating the ..
- Potential prostate cancer drug target: bioactivation of androstanediol by conversion to dihydrotestosteroneJames L Mohler
Department of Urology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Department of Urology, University at Buffalo, State University of New York, Buffalo, New York, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:5844-9. 2011High-affinity binding of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) to the androgen receptor (AR) initiates androgen-dependent gene activation, required for normal male sex development in utero, and contributes to prostate cancer development and ..
- A novel spreadsheet method for calculating the free serum concentrations of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, estradiol, estrone and cortisol: with illustrative examples from male and female populationsNorman A Mazer
Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, United States
Steroids 74:512-9. 2009In humans, testosterone (T), dihydrotestosterone (DHT), estradiol (E2), estrone (E1) and cortisol (C) bind to the serum proteins sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), albumin (Alb) and corticosteroid-binding globulin (CBG)...
- Activation of the androgen receptor by intratumoral bioconversion of androstanediol to dihydrotestosterone in prostate cancerJames L Mohler
Department of Urology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York, USA
Cancer Res 71:1486-96. 2011The androgen receptor (AR) mediates the growth of benign and malignant prostate in response to dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- A novel ultrapressure liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method for the simultaneous determination of androstenedione, testosterone, and dihydrotestosterone in pediatric blood samples: age- and sex-specific reference dataA E Kulle
Department of Pediatrics, Christian Albrechts University of Kiel, 24105 Kiel, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2399-409. 2010..Mass spectrometry-based methods are available for individual steroids but need complex sample preparation and report only fragmentary reference data for the pediatric population...
- Marked suppression of dihydrotestosterone in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia by dutasteride, a dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitorRichard V Clark
Clinical Pharmacology, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2179-84. 2004b>Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the primary metabolite of testosterone in the prostate and skin. Testosterone is converted to DHT by 5alpha-reductase, which exists in two isoenzyme forms (types 1 and 2)...
- Differential regulation of steroid 5alpha-reductase isozymes expression by androgens in the adult rat brainJ M Torres
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Granada, Avda. de Madrid s/n, 18012 Granada, Spain
FASEB J 17:1428-33. 2003..of 5alpha-R in the brain derives from its capability to convert testosterone (T) to a more potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and to convert progesterone and deoxycorticosterone (DOC) to their respective 5alpha-reduced ..
- 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 stimulates breast cancer by dihydrotestosterone inactivation in addition to estradiol productionJuliette A Aka
Research Center of the Laval University Hospital Center CHUQ CHUL and Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Mol Endocrinol 24:832-45. 2010The active estrogen estradiol (E2) stimulates breast cancer cell (BCC) growth, whereas the androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT) has shown an antiproliferative effect...
- Uterine adenocarcinoma in mice following developmental treatment with estrogens: a model for hormonal carcinogenesisR R Newbold
Developmental Endocrinology and Pharmacology Section, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, NIH, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709
Cancer Res 50:7677-81. 1990..The experimental induction of these tumors will provide the basis for additional studies in mechanisms of hormonal carcinogenesis...
- Dihydrotestosterone-inducible dickkopf 1 from balding dermal papilla cells causes apoptosis in follicular keratinocytesMi Hee Kwack
Department of Immunology, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea
J Invest Dermatol 128:262-9. 2008..Here, we screened dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-regulated genes in balding DP cells and found that dickkopf 1 (DKK-1) is one of the most upregulated ..
- A mechanism for androgen receptor-mediated prostate cancer recurrence after androgen deprivation therapyC W Gregory
Laboratory for Reproductive Biology, Department of Pediatrics, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Cancer Res 61:4315-9. 2001..development and growth of prostate cancer depends on the androgen receptor and its high-affinity binding of dihydrotestosterone, which derives from testosterone...
- Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 is regulated by dihydrotestosterone and stimulates deoxyribonucleic acid synthesis and cell proliferation in LNCaP prostate carcinoma cellsJ L Martin
Kolling Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia
Endocrinology 141:2401-9. 2000..Confluent monolayers of cells secreted approximately 0.7 ng/ml IGFBP-3 over 24 h. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT, 10 nM) and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (vitamin D, 10 nM) increased IGFBP-3 in media to 149 +/- 15% and ..
- Testosterone's anti-anxiety and analgesic effects may be due in part to actions of its 5alpha-reduced metabolites in the hippocampusKassandra L Edinger
Department of Psychology, The University at Albany-SUNY, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12222, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 30:418-30. 2005..that if T's anti-anxiety and analgesic effects are due in part to actions of its 5alpha-reduced metabolite (dihydrotestosterone-DHT) and/or its 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase reduced metabolite (3alpha-androstanediol-3alpha-diol), ..
- Differential regulation of rat testicular 5alpha-reductase type 1 and 2 isoforms by testosterone and FSHK Pratis
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, PO Box 5152, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
J Endocrinol 176:393-403. 2003Testosterone is metabolised to the more potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone, by the 5alpha-reductase (5alphaR) enzyme...
- Dihydrotestosterone may inhibit hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal activity by acting through estrogen receptor in the male mouseTrent D Lund
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Anatomy W103, 1617 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1670, USA
Neurosci Lett 365:43-7. 2004..to environmental perturbation has been shown to be enhanced by estrogen but inhibited by the androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT). However, the mechanism of androgen's action has not been identified...
- Atmospheric pressure photoionization tandem mass spectrometry of androgens in prostate cancerFred Bjørn Lih
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences National Institutes of Health Department of Health and Human Services, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709 2233, USA
Anal Chem 82:6000-7. 2010..Quantitation of the saturated keto-steroids dihydrotestosterone and 5-alpha-androstanedione required detection of a novel parent ion, [M + 15](+)...
- The effects of injected testosterone dose and age on the conversion of testosterone to estradiol and dihydrotestosterone in young and older menKishore M Lakshman
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Boston Claude D Pepper Older Americans Independence Center for Function Promoting Therapies, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, 670 Albany Street, Second Floor, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3955-64. 2010During testosterone (T) therapy, T is partly converted to 17beta-estradiol (E2) and 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Effects of age, testosterone dose, and body composition on total and free E2 and DHT levels are unknown.
- Oxidative 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity of human type 10 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenaseXue Ying He
Department of Pharmacology, New York State Institute for Basic Research in Developmental Disabilities, Staten Island, NY 10314, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 87:191-8. 2003..catalyzes the oxidation of 5alpha-androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol (adiol), an almost inactive androgen, to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) rather than androsterone or androstanedione...
- Prx1 enhances androgen receptor function in prostate cancer cells by increasing receptor affinity to dihydrotestosteroneRishi Raj Chhipa
Department of Cancer Prevention and Control, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Mol Cancer Res 7:1543-52. 2009..In the present study, we evaluated the biological significance of Prx1 in modulating dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-stimulated growth and AR target gene expression of prostate cancer cells...
- Sex differences in brain and plasma beta-endorphin content following testosterone, dihydrotestosterone and estradiol administration to gonadectomized ratsNicola Pluchino
Department of Reproductive Medicine and Child Development, Division of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Neuroendocrinology 89:411-23. 2009The present study aims at evaluating the effect of a 2-week treatment with testosterone (T), dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and estradiol valerate (E(2)V) on brain and plasma beta-endorphin (beta-END) concentrations in gonadectomized rats of ..
- The proliferative effects of 5-androstene-3 beta,17 beta-diol and 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone on cell cycle analysis and cell proliferation in MCF7, T47D and MDAMB231 breast cancer cell linesS R Aspinall
School of Surgery and Reproductive Sciences, The Medical School, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, Benton NE2 4HH, UK
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 88:37-51. 2004..In this study the proliferative affects of 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone and 5-androstene-3 beta,17 beta-diol, which may be considered true metabolites acting at a tissue level, on ..
- Identification of the major oxidative 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in human prostate that converts 5alpha-androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol to 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone: a potential therapeutic target for androgen-dependent diseaseDavid R Bauman
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6084, USA
Mol Endocrinol 20:444-58. 2006Androgen-dependent prostate diseases initially require 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) for growth...
- 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) retards wound closure by inhibiting re-epithelializationS C Gilliver
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Michael Smith Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
J Pathol 217:73-82. 2009..We previously demonstrated that blocking the conversion of testosterone to 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) limits its ability to impair healing, suggesting that DHT is a more potent inhibitor of repair than ..
- Free testosterone and free dihydrotestosterone throughout the life span of menLuboslav Starka
Steroid Hormones Dept, Institute of Endocrinology, Prague, Czech Republic
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 116:118-20. 2009The dihydrotestosterone/testosterone ratio seems to be an important factor in the expression of androgenic activity, especially in the prostate and pilosebaceous unit...
- Epidermal-growth-factor-dependent phosphorylation and ubiquitinylation of MAGE-11 regulates its interaction with the androgen receptorSuxia Bai
Laboratories for Reproductive Biology, CB 7500, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7500, USA
Mol Cell Biol 28:1947-63. 2008..EGF in the presence of dihydrotestosterone stabilizes the AR-MAGE complex through the site-specific phosphorylation of MAGE-11 at Thr-360 and ..
- Differential effects of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone and estradiol on carotenoid deposition in an avian sexually selected signalStefania Casagrande
Behavioral Biology, Centre for Behavior and Neuroscience, University of Groningen, Haren, The Netherlands
J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 197:1-13. 2011..T can be converted to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and estradiol (E2), and variation in conversion rate may partly explain some contradictory findings ..
- Dihydrotestosterone differentially modulates the cortisol response of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in male and female rhesus macaques, and restores circadian secretion of cortisol in femalesDonna J Toufexis
Division of Developmental and Cognitive Neuroscience, Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Emory University, 954 Gatewood Road, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Brain Res 1429:43-51. 2012..male rhesus macaques, and replacement with sex-specific low and high physiological doses of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the same adult males as well as in adult, gonadally-suppressed, female rhesus macaques...
- The effect of dutasteride on intraprostatic dihydrotestosterone concentrations in men with benign prostatic hyperplasiaR Wurzel
Department of Urology, Grove Hill Medical Center, New Britain, CT 06052, USA
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 10:149-54. 2007The dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, dutasteride has been shown to suppress serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by >90%. In the present study, the effect of dutasteride 0.5 mg/day on intraprostatic DHT levels was investigated...
- Reexamination of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, estradiol and estrone levels across the menstrual cycle and in postmenopausal women measured by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryMicol S Rothman
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Steroids 76:177-82. 2011..liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) assays to determine testosterone (T) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) along with estradiol (E2) and estrone (E1) levels across the menstrual cycle of 31 healthy ..
- Dihydrotestosterone stimulates amino acid uptake and the expression of LAT2 in mouse skeletal muscle fibres through an ERK1/2-dependent mechanismM M Hamdi
Biomedical and Clinical Sciences Research Institute, School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
J Physiol 589:3623-40. 2011b>Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) has acute/non-genomic actions in adult mammalian skeletal muscles whose physiological functions are still poorly understood...
- Gonadal steroid attenuation of developing hamster facial motoneuron loss by axotomy: equal efficacy of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, and 17-beta estradiolChristopher B Huppenbauer
Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology, and Anatomy, Loyola University Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
J Neurosci 25:4004-13. 2005..The second half examines the neuroprotective effects of testosterone propionate, 17-beta estradiol, and dihydrotestosterone on FMNs of P7 hamsters after facial nerve transection at the SMF...
- Prostatic luminal cell differentiation and prostatic steroid-binding protein (PBP) gene expression are differentially affected by neonatal castrationL Janulis
Department of Urology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Prostate 43:195-204. 2000..The purpose of this study was to examine the differentiation of prostatic epithelial cells after neonatal castration...
- Structural features discriminate androgen receptor N/C terminal and coactivator interactionsEmily B Askew
Laboratories for Reproductive Biology, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7500, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 348:403-10. 2012..We conclude that helix 12 residues outside the AF2 binding cleft modulate AR transcriptional activity by providing flexibility to accommodate FXXLF or LXXLL motif binding...
- Androgens and estrogens induce seasonal-like growth of song nuclei in the adult songbird brainAnthony D Tramontin
Department of Neurosurgery Research, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Neurobiol 57:130-40. 2003..regressed song control nuclei were implanted with silastic capsules containing either crystalline T, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), estradiol (E(2)), or a combination of DHT+E(2). Control animals received empty implants...
- Regulation of the initial segment of the murine epididymis by dihydrotestosterone and testicular exocrine secretions studied by expression of specific proteins and gene expressionC Avram
Institut für Reproduktionsmedizin, Universitat Munster, Domagkstrasse 11, 48149, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 317:13-22. 2004..Administration of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) to the castrates maintained the proximal and distal caput epithelia and induced a proximal epithelium,..
- Lack of antiandrogenic effects in adult male rats following acute exposure to 2,2-bis(4-chlorophenyl)-1,1-dichloroethylene (p,p'-DDE)Teresa L Leavens
Curriculum in Toxicology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
Toxicology 174:69-78. 2002..Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone were measured in serum...
- Testosterone decreases reactive astroglia and reactive microglia after brain injury in male rats: role of its metabolites, oestradiol and dihydrotestosteroneGeorge Barreto
Instituto Cajal, C S I C, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Neurosci 25:3039-46. 2007..we have assessed the effect of early and late therapy with testosterone or its metabolites, oestradiol and dihydrotestosterone, on reactive astroglia and reactive microglia after a stab wound brain injury in orchidectomized Wistar ..
- 5Alpha-dihydrotestosterone up-regulates transthyretin levels in mice and rat choroid plexus via an androgen receptor independent pathwayT Quintela
Health Sciences Research Centre CICS, University of Beira Interior, Av Infante D Henrique, 6200 506 Covilha, Portugal
Brain Res 1229:18-26. 2008..In this study we examined the effects of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) on TTR protein and mRNA levels, in primary cultures of rat CPs epithelial cells (CPEC) by Western ..
- 1,25(OH)2D3 and dihydrotestosterone interact to regulate proliferation and differentiation of epiphyseal chondrocytesK Krohn
Department of Nutrition and Inborn Errors of Metabolism, University Children's Hospital, Munich D-80337, Germany
Calcif Tissue Int 73:400-10. 2003..We investigated possible interactions of 1,25(OH)2D3 and the non-aromatizable androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in primary chondrocyte cultures from young male rats...
- Impaired dihydrotestosterone catabolism in human prostate cancer: critical role of AKR1C2 as a pre-receptor regulator of androgen receptor signalingQing Ji
Department of Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 2011 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Cancer Res 67:1361-9. 2007..We now report that dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels are significantly greater in prostate cancer tumors compared with their paired benign tissues...
- Effect of dihydrotestosterone on hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis of mouse embryonic stem cellsSang Hun Lee
Department of Veterinary Physiology, BK21 Biotherapy Human Resources Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500 757, Korea
J Cell Physiol 216:269-75. 2008..Therefore, using mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells as a model system, this study evaluated the effects of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a biologically active testosterone metabolite, on H2O2-induced apoptosis...
- Effects of steroid hormones on spermatogenesis and GnRH release in male Leopard frogs, Rana pipiensPei San Tsai
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0354, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 134:330-8. 2003..suggest reproduction in the ranid frogs is potently regulated by the gonadal steroids, in particular 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and 17beta-estradiol (E(2)), and a non-gonadal steroid, the stress hormone corticosterone (Cort)...
- Transcriptomic characterization of the long-term dihydrotestosterone effects in adipose tissueCarl Bolduc
Functional Genomics Laboratory, Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology Research Center, Laval University Medical Center, 2705 Boulevard Laurier, Quebec City, Quebec, G1V 4G2 Canada
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:1107-32. 2007To study the long-term transcriptomic effects of dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in adipose tissue. Fat distribution is regulated by sexual hormones. It is still unclear if androgens are promoting or reducing intra-abdominal fat accumulation.
- Proteomics of rat prostate lobes treated with 2-N-hydroxylamino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone, individually and in combinationTelih Boyiri
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Penn State Cancer Institute, Penn State University College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Int J Oncol 35:559-67. 2009....
- 5alpha-reductase isozymes and aromatase are differentially expressed and active in the androgen-independent human prostate cancer cell lines DU145 and PC3P Negri-Cesi
Center for Endocrinological Oncology, Department of Endocrinology, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Prostate 41:224-32. 1999..17-keto androgens); and 2) to analyze whether one or both the two known 5alpha-reductase isoforms (5alpha-R1 and 5alpha-R2) and the aromatase (Aro) are expressed and active in this pathology...
- Testosterone, not 5α-dihydrotestosterone, stimulates LRH-1 leading to FSH-independent expression of Cyp19 and P450scc in granulosa cellsYan Guang Wu
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Mol Endocrinol 25:656-68. 2011..T can be converted into estradiol, a classical estrogen, by Cyp19 and into 5α-dihydrotestosterone, a pure androgen, by 5α-reductase...
- Postnatal testosterone exposure results in insulin resistance, enlarged mesenteric adipocytes, and an atherogenic lipid profile in adult female rats: comparisons with estradiol and dihydrotestosteroneCamilla Alexanderson
Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Department of Physiology Endocrinology, Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Box 434, 405 30, Goteborg, Sweden
Endocrinology 148:5369-76. 2007..in these programming effects, we compared testosterone-exposed rats to rats exposed to estradiol or dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- Human androgen receptor mutation disrupts ternary interactions between ligand, receptor domains, and the coactivator TIF2 (transcription intermediary factor 2)J Lim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, National University of Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Mol Endocrinol 14:1187-97. 2000..Mesterolone, but not the physiological androgen dihydrotestosterone, restored mutant LBD interactions with the TAD and with TIF2, when expressed as fusion proteins in the two-..
- 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone inhibits 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3-induced expression of CYP24 in human prostate cancer cellsYan Ru Lou
Department of Anatomy, Medical School, University of Tampere, Finland
Prostate 63:222-30. 2005A cross-talk between 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) [1alpha,25-(OH)(2)D(3)] and 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the growth inhibition has been demonstrated, but the mechanism is unknown.
- Androgen metabolism in the prostate of the finasteride-treated, adult rat: a possible explanation for the differential action of testosterone and 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone during development of the male urogenital tractF W George
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 8857, USA
Endocrinology 138:871-7. 1997Previous work has clearly demonstrated that inhibition of 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) formation in vivo is not as effective as total androgen ablation (castration) in causing involution of the prostate...
- Dihydrotestosterone and the prostate: the scientific rationale for 5alpha-reductase inhibitors in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasiaGerald Andriole
Division of Urological Surgery, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Urol 172:1399-403. 2004PURPOSE: We reviewed the physiological and pathogenic role of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), evidence for the beneficial effects of decreasing DHT through 5alpha-reductase inhibition and the effects of altering the androgen balance with ..
- Three weeks of creatine monohydrate supplementation affects dihydrotestosterone to testosterone ratio in college-aged rugby playersJohann van der Merwe
Department of Physiological Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Clin J Sport Med 19:399-404. 2009..It was hypothesized that the ratio of dihydrotestosterone (DHT, a biologically more active androgen) to testosterone (T) would change with creatine supplementation.
- Hypothalamic neuroendocrine functions in rats with dihydrotestosterone-induced polycystic ovary syndrome: effects of low-frequency electro-acupunctureYi Feng
Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Department of Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
PLoS ONE 4:e6638. 2009..Repeated low-frequency EA normalized estrous cyclicity and restored GnRH and AR protein expression. These results may help explain the beneficial neuroendocrine effects of low-frequency EA in women with PCOS...
- Partitioning of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone and 5alpha-androstane-3alpha, 17beta-diol activated pathways for stimulating human prostate cancer LNCaP cell proliferationEva H Nunlist
Department of Urology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 920 Stanton L. Young Blvd, WP3150, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 91:157-70. 2004..Despite our understanding of molecular actions of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (5alpha-DHT) in the prostate through the trans-activation of the androgen receptor (AR), comprehensive ..
- Isoflavone supplements stimulated the production of serum equol and decreased the serum dihydrotestosterone levels in healthy male volunteersM Tanaka
Department of Urology, Nara Medical University, Kashihara, Japan
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 12:247-52. 2009..of sex hormone-binding globulin significantly increased, and the serum levels of free testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) decreased significantly after 3-month supplementation...
- 17beta-estradiol, progesterone, and dihydrotestosterone suppress the growth of human melanoma by inhibiting interleukin-8 productionN Kanda
Department of Dermatology, Teikyo University, School of Medicine, Itabashi ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Invest Dermatol 117:274-83. 2001We studied the effects of 17beta-estradiol, progesterone, and dihydrotestosterone on in vitro growth of human metastatic melanoma...
- The role of dihydrotestosterone in benign prostatic hyperplasiaCulley Carson
Division of Urology, Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7235, USA
Urology 61:2-7. 2003This article examines the role of the androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the healthy and diseased prostate and considers the implications of the data on DHT for therapeutic approaches to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- Dynamic expression of caspase-2, -3, -8, and -9 proteins and enzyme activity, but not messenger ribonucleic acid, in the monkey corpus luteum during the menstrual cycleMarina C Peluffo
Division of Reproductive Sciences, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, 505 NW 185th Avenue, Beaverton, Oregon 97006, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:2327-35. 2005..The increased caspase activity at mid-late stage suggests that apoptosis is involved in early luteolysis in primates. Gonadotropin, perhaps via local steroids, modulates initiator caspases in the primate CL...
- Testosterone, but not nonaromatizable dihydrotestosterone, improves working memory and alters nerve growth factor levels in aged male ratsHeather A Bimonte-Nelson
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience and the Center for Studies on Aging, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425, USA
Exp Neurol 181:301-12. 2003..We treated aged male rats with either testosterone or dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the latter of which is not aromatized to estrogen, in order to determine whether these treatments ..
- Cognitive changes associated with supplementation of testosterone or dihydrotestosterone in mildly hypogonadal men: a preliminary reportMonique M Cherrier
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington Medical School, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
J Androl 24:568-76. 2003..examined changes in cognition in hypogonadal men given testosterone (T) or older hypogonadal men given dihydrotestosterone (DHT) gel...
- Tumor localization of 16beta-18F-fluoro-5alpha-dihydrotestosterone versus 18F-FDG in patients with progressive, metastatic prostate cancerSteven M Larson
Department of Radiology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Nucl Med 45:366-73. 2004..trial was an initial assessment of the feasibility, in vivo targeting, and biokinetics of 16beta-(18)F-fluoro-5alpha-dihydrotestosterone ((18)F-FDHT) PET in patients with metastatic prostate cancer to assess androgen receptor expression.
- Androgen receptor-dependent PSA expression in androgen-independent prostate cancer cells does not involve androgen receptor occupancy of the PSA locusLi Jia
Department of Urology and Preventive Medicine, Norris Cancer Center, USC Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
Cancer Res 65:8003-8. 2005..The addition of dihydrotestosterone to the culture medium increased the expression of both genes in both cell types...
- The Estradiol-Dihydrotestosterone model of prostate cancerA Edward Friedman
Department of Mathematics, University of Chicago, 5734 S, University Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Theor Biol Med Model 2:10. 2005..However, both in vitro and in vivo studies have shown that under some conditions T is capable of either promoting PCa growth or death. This article proposes a theory which resolves this apparent paradox...
- Feedback inhibition of steroidogenic acute regulatory protein expression in vitro and in vivo by androgensChristopher P Houk
Pediatric Surgical Research Laboratories, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Endocrinology 145:1269-75. 2004..androgen receptor antagonist, enhanced StAR mRNA expression when added to cAMP-treated MA-10 cells, whereas dihydrotestosterone, a potent androgen receptor agonist, attenuated these responses...
- Endogenous coactivator ARA70 interacts with estrogen receptor alpha (ERalpha) and modulates the functional ERalpha/androgen receptor interplay in MCF-7 cellsMarilena Lanzino
Department of Pharmacobiology, University of Calabria, 87036 Arcavacata di Rende CS, Italy
J Biol Chem 280:20421-30. 2005..Thus, ARA70 is a coactivator for ERalpha and may represent a functional link between ERalpha/AR modulating their cross-talk in models of estrogen signaling in MCF-7 and HeLa cells...
- Xenoestrogen action in prostate cancer: pleiotropic effects dependent on androgen receptor statusYelena B Wetherill
Department of Cell Biology and Center for Environmental Genetics, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
Cancer Res 65:54-65. 2005..Moreover, in vitro radioligand binding assay revealed that BPA alters 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone binding to AR-T877A likely through noncompetitive inhibition...
- Equol is a novel anti-androgen that inhibits prostate growth and hormone feedbackTrent D Lund
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80524, USA
Biol Reprod 70:1188-95. 2004..Using binding assays, we determined that equol specifically binds 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), but not testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone, or estrogen with high affinity...
- Deleterious effects of dihydrotestosterone on cerebral ischemic injuryJian Cheng
Department of Anesthesiology and Peri Operative Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 27:1553-62. 2007..The present study determined if the potent and nonaromatizable androgen, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), exacerbates ischemic damage in the male rat and alters postischemic gene expression after middle ..
- Sex steroids and all-cause and cause-specific mortality in menAndre B Araujo
New England Research Institutes, 9 Galen St, Watertown, MA 02472, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:1252-60. 2007..Sex steroid levels are related to metabolic outcomes that could convey higher risk of premature death...
- Inhibition of the dihydrotestosterone-activated androgen receptor by nuclear receptor corepressorShinta Cheng
Cancer Biology Program, Division of Hematology Oncology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Mol Endocrinol 16:1492-501. 2002..This report demonstrates that NCoR interacts directly with the androgen receptor (AR) and represses dihydrotestosterone-stimulated AR transcriptional activity...
- Dihydrotestosterone activates sexual behavior in adult male hamsters but not in juvenilesR D Romeo
Department of Psychology, Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, 48824, East Lansing, MI, USA
Physiol Behav 73:579-84. 2001The effect of an androgenic metabolite of testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), on reproductive behavior and brain androgen receptor (AR) immunoreactivity was compared in juvenile and adult male Syrian hamsters...
- Testosterone and 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone inhibit in vitro growth of human breast cancer cell linesJ Ortmann
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Gynecological Endocrinology and Reproductive Medicine, , Heidelberg, Germany
Gynecol Endocrinol 16:113-20. 2002..In the present study, we investigated the relationship between AR status and testosterone and 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-dependent proliferation of the human breast carcinoma cell lines MCF-7, T47-D, MDA-MB 435S and BT-20...
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial of transdermal dihydrotestosterone gel on muscular strength, mobility, and quality of life in older men with partial androgen deficiencyL P Ly
Department of Andrology, Concord Hospital, Concord, New South Wales 2139, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:4078-88. 2001..b>Dihydrotestosterone is the highest potency natural androgen with the additional features that it is neither aromatizable nor ..
- Crystallographic structures of the ligand-binding domains of the androgen receptor and its T877A mutant complexed with the natural agonist dihydrotestosteroneJ S Sack
Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute, P.O. Box 4000, Princeton, NJ 08543-4000, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:4904-9. 2001..wild-type androgen receptor (AR) and the T877A mutant corresponding to that in LNCaP cells, both bound to dihydrotestosterone, have been refined at 2.0 A resolution...
- Increased ovulation rate in gilts treated with dihydrotestosteroneH Cardenas
Department of Animal Sciences, The Ohio State University, 2029 Coffey Road, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Reproduction 123:527-33. 2002..The present study was conducted to examine the effects of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a non-aromatizable androgen receptor ligand, on ovulation rate and amounts of androgen receptor and ..
- Testosterone, androstenedione and dihydrotestosterone concentrations are elevated in female patients with major depressionB Weber
Central Institute of Mental Health, PO Box 122120, 68072, Mannheim, Germany
Psychoneuroendocrinology 25:765-71. 2000..To date, there is only sparse information about the regulation of androstenedione, testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentrations in women with severe major depression...
- Dihydrotestosterone and estrogen regulation of rat brain androgen-receptor immunoreactivityC S Lynch
Department of Psychology, University of Louisiana, P O Box 43131, Lafayette, LA 70504, USA
Physiol Behav 69:445-53. 2000..that occurs with androgenic-anabolic steroid (AAS) administration may be mediated by AAS metabolites, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and estrogen. Castrated and intact male rats received 14 s.c...
- Dihydrotestosterone treatment in adolescents with delayed puberty: does it explain insulin resistance of puberty?R J Saad
Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, 3705 Fifth Avenue at DeSoto Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:4881-6. 2001..The present investigation evaluated the effects of 4 months of dihydrotestosterone administration (50 mg im every 2 wk) on body composition, glucose, fat, and protein metabolism, and insulin ..
- Simultaneous measurement of serum testosterone and dihydrotestosterone by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometrySteve Shiraishi
General Clinical Research Center, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Harbor UCLA Medical Center and Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute, Torrance, CA 90509, USA
Clin Chem 54:1855-63. 2008..Recent reports have described inherent problems with androgen immunoassays compared with mass spectrometry analyses...
- The effect of allelic variation in aldo-keto reductase 1C2 on the in vitro metabolism of dihydrotestosteroneRyan H Takahashi
Division of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of British Columbia, 2146 East Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 329:1032-9. 2009..1C2 is a human, cytosolic enzyme that has an important role in the deactivation of the potent androgen dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- The expression of the ADAMs proteases in prostate cancer cell lines and their regulation by dihydrotestosteroneD R McCulloch
Centre for Molecular Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Queensland University of Technology, Queensland 4000, Brisbane, Australia
Mol Cell Endocrinol 167:11-21. 2000..Since androgens are implicated in prostate cancer cell growth and maintenance, the regulation of ADAMs by dihydrotestosterone (DHT) was investigated in the androgen-dependent cell line LNCaP...
- Adrenal and gonadal steroids inhibit IL-6 secretion by human marrow cellsC M Gordon
Division of Adolescent Young Adult Medicine, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cytokine 16:178-86. 2001..marrow cells and a line of marrow stromal cells (KM101) is inhibited by dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and 17beta-oestradiol (E(2))...
- Reciprocal regulation of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone, interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 during proliferation of epithelial ovarian carcinomaYue Wang
Department of Immunology, Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin, PR, China
Cancer Biol Ther 6:864-71. 2007..In these studies, the effect of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) on the expression levels of IL-6 and IL-8 was investigated...
- Dihydrotestosterone inhibits granulosa cell proliferation by decreasing the cyclin D2 mRNA expression and cell cycle arrest at G1 phaseP K Pradeep
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Michigan, 1150 West Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Endocrinology 143:2930-5. 2002..In the present study, we examined the molecular mechanism by which dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a 5alpha reduced metabolite of testosterone, mediates the inhibition of granulosa cell proliferation,..
- Role of 5-alpha Reductase in Testosterone ActionsShalendar Bhasin; Fiscal Year: 2007..as a prohormone that is converted in the body to two active metabolites, estradiol 17beta and 5-alpha dihydrotestosterone (DHT)...
- PROGESTERONE RECEPTOR AND ACTION IN THE PRIMATE OVARYRichard Stouffer; Fiscal Year: 2007..a 3p-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase inhibitor) and P (R5020) or other steroid (estrogen, R2858 or androgen, dihydrotestosterone) replacements...
- PROGESTERONE RECEPTOR AND ACTION IN THE PRIMATE OVARYRichard Stouffer; Fiscal Year: 2009..a 3p-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase inhibitor) and P (R5020) or other steroid (estrogen, R2858 or androgen, dihydrotestosterone) replacements...
- PROGESTERONE RECEPTOR AND ACTION IN THE PRIMATE OVARYRichard L Stouffer; Fiscal Year: 2010..a 3p-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase inhibitor) and P (R5020) or other steroid (estrogen, R2858 or androgen, dihydrotestosterone) replacements...
- FREE PLASMA SEX HORMONE AND ANDROGEN ACTIONRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 1980..be developed for the measurement of the major plasma androgens--the 17 beta-hydroxysteroids (testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, delta 5-androstenediol, and 3 alpha/3 beta-androstanediols) and 17-ketosteroids (androstenedione and ..
- Impact of Puberty on the Kidney in DiabetesPASCALE LANE; Fiscal Year: 2005..the role of the androgen receptor in the renal response to DM; and 5)Determine whether conversion to dihydrotestosterone is necessary for the post-pubertal renal response to STZ DM...
- Maintainance of Organ Function Following InjuryIrshad Chaudry; Fiscal Year: 2007Our recent studies indicate that depletion of androgens (testosterone and dihydrotestosterone) two weeks prior to onset of hemorrhage prevents the depression of cardiac function following trauma-hemorrhage and resuscitation...
- HORMONAL REGULATION OF ETHANOL METABOLISMEsteban Mezey; Fiscal Year: 2000..Alcohol dehydrogenase is increased by growth hormone and suppressed by dihydrotestosterone. Glucagon and epinephrine enhance alcohol dehydrogenase and this effect is most likely mediated by cAMP...
- PROSTATIC DIFFERENTIATION AND SEX HORMONE METABOLISMShuk Mei Ho; Fiscal Year: 2007..T, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), PRL and E2 were shown to exert different proliferation- and dysplasia-promoting actions on explants ..
- Equol and Regulation of Prostate GrowthRobert J Handa; Fiscal Year: 2010..circulating testosterone;inhibition of 5-alpha reductase, an enzyme that synthesizes the potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone;or blocking the actions of the androgen receptor...
- Androgen Receptor Function in Prostate CancerRichard G Pestell; Fiscal Year: 2010..AR acetylation and phosphorylation are linked, 2. SirT1 expression and function are regulated by dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and metabolism 3. AR is repressed by the NAD-dependent histone deacetylases (SirT1), and 4...
- Equol and Regulation of Prostate GrowthRobert Handa; Fiscal Year: 2009..circulating testosterone; inhibition of 5-alpha reductase, an enzyme that synthesizes the potent androgen, dihydrotestosterone; or blocking the actions of the androgen receptor...
- A Novel Synthetic Androgen Receptor AntagonistZhongyun Dong; Fiscal Year: 2010..DL3 inhibits dihydrotestosterone (DHT)-stimulated cell growth and gene expression in all prostate cancer cell lines tested, including ..
- Estrogen Metabolism and Action in Prostate Cancer Etiology in PCPTAshraful Hoque; Fiscal Year: 2007..inhibitor finasteride (versus placebo) found that inhibiting SRD5A2 from converting testosterone into dihydrotestosterone reduced total prostate cancer risk by 25%, but also increased the risk of high-grade cancer...
- IMMUNOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF HEMORRHAGEIrshad Chaudry; Fiscal Year: 2006..Studies also show that increased 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone synthesis in T cells is the likely cause for immune depression in males, while continued E2 synthesis ..
- Mechanisms of Testosterone Effects on Body CompositionShalendar Bhasin; Fiscal Year: 2007..We hypothesize that testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT), two prototypical androgens, promote the differentiation of adult, pluripotent mesenchymal stem cells ..
- Testosterone:Physical Function in Men on HemodialysisShalender Bhasin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Total and free testosterone and dihydrotestosterone levels will be measured as markers of androgen bioavailability, and LH, FSH, and SHBG as markers of ..
- In vivo effects of sulforaphane supplementation on normal human prostateDANIEL W contact LIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..and reduces oxidative damage in human prostate and (2) increases DHT catabolism and reduces intra-prostatic dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentration...