Genomes and Genes
Summary: A complex of cyclic peptide antibiotics produced by the Tracy-I strain of Bacillus subtilis. The commercial preparation is a mixture of at least nine bacitracins with bacitracin A as the major constituent. It is used topically to treat open infections such as infected eczema and infected dermal ulcers. (From Goodman and Gilman, The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 8th ed, p1140)
Publications218 found, 100 shown here
- Topical triple-antibiotic ointment as a novel therapeutic choice in wound management and infection prevention: a practical perspectiveRobert A Bonomo
Case Western Reserve University, Veteran Affairs Medical Center, 10701 East Blvd, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 5:773-82. 2007..The formulation contains neomycin, polymyxin B and bacitracin in a petrolatum base...
- Amplification of the bacA gene confers bacitracin resistance to Escherichia coliB D Cain
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610
J Bacteriol 175:3784-9. 1993An Escherichia coli genomic library was constructed in order to facilitate selection for genes which confer bacitracin resistance through amplification...
- Influence of molecular dipoles on human skin permeability: Use of 6-ketocholestanol to enhance the transdermal delivery of bacitracinJosep Cladera
School of Biomedical Sciences, Medical School, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG 7 2UH, United Kingdom
J Pharm Sci 92:1018-27. 2003..Using fluorescein-labeled bacitracin and confocal microscopy, we show that the penetration of the antibiotic peptide bacitracin into the epidermis is ..
- The BceRS two-component regulatory system induces expression of the bacitracin transporter, BceAB, in Bacillus subtilisReiko Ohki
Department of Molecular Biology, School of Health Sciences, Kyorin University, 476 Miyashita, Hachiouji, Tokyo 192 0005, Japan
Mol Microbiol 49:1135-44. 2003..Disruption of these genes resulted in hypersensitivity to bacitracin, a peptide antibiotic that is non-ribosomally synthesized in some strains of Bacillus...
- Bacitracin sensing in Bacillus subtilisEva Rietkötter
Department of General Microbiology, Georg August University, Gottingen, Germany
Mol Microbiol 68:768-85. 2008..The bacitracin stress response network of Bacillus subtilis consists of four signal-transducing systems, the two-component ..
- The ABC transporter AnrAB contributes to the innate resistance of Listeria monocytogenes to nisin, bacitracin, and various beta-lactam antibioticsBarry Collins
Department of Microbiology, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:4416-23. 2010..The loss of this putative multidrug resistance transporter also greatly enhanced sensitivity to bacitracin, gallidermin, and a selection of β-lactam antibiotics...
- Bacitracin is not a specific inhibitor of protein disulfide isomeraseAnna Riikka Karala
Biocenter Oulu and Department of Biochemistry, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
FEBS J 277:2454-62. 2010To successfully dissect molecular pathways in vivo, there is often a need to use specific inhibitors. Bacitracin is very widely used as an inhibitor of protein disulfide isomerase (PDI) in vivo...
- Bacitracin reveals a role for multiple thiol isomerases in platelet functionAisling Robinson
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin 2, Ireland
Br J Haematol 132:339-48. 2006..Using a highly purified form of bacitracin, a thiol isomerase inhibitor, we now provide further evidence of the functional significance of this enzymatic ..
- Nebulized bacitracin/colimycin: a treatment option in recalcitrant chronic rhinosinusitis with Staphylococcus aureus? A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, cross-over pilot studyW J M Videler
Dept of Otorhinolaryngology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Rhinology 46:92-8. 2008..We have performed a pilot study in order to determine whether nebulized topical antibiotic therapy improves sinusitis symptoms more than saline-based placebo in patients with recalcitrant chronic rhinosinusitis...
- An ABC transporter of Streptococcus pneumoniae involved in susceptibility to vancoresmycin and bacitracinPetra Becker
Fachbereich Biologie, Abteilung Mikrobiologie, Technische Universitat Kaiserslautern, P O Box 3049, 67653 Kaiserslautern, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:2034-41. 2009..Due to the similarity of Spr0812-Spr0813 to bacitracin transporters of Streptococcus mutans and Bacillus spp...
- Generic and specific adaptive responses of Streptococcus pneumoniae to challenge with three distinct antimicrobial peptides, bacitracin, LL-37, and nisinJoanna A Majchrzykiewicz
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Groningen, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, P O Box 14, 9750 AA Haren, The Netherlands
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:440-51. 2010To investigate the response of Streptococcus pneumoniae to three distinct antimicrobial peptides (AMPs), bacitracin, nisin, and LL-37, transcriptome analysis of challenged bacteria was performed...
- Genes involved in bacitracin resistance in Streptococcus mutansHiromasa Tsuda
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Kyushu University Faculty of Dental Science, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3756-64. 2002Streptococcus mutans is resistant to bacitracin, which is a peptide antibiotic produced by certain species of Bacillus. The purpose of this study was to clarify the bacitracin resistance mechanism of S. mutans...
- Resistance to bacitracin in Bacillus subtilis: unexpected requirement of the BceAB ABC transporter in the control of expression of its own structural genesRemi Bernard
Laboratoire de Chimie Bacterienne, Institut de Biologie Structurale et Microbiologie, CNRS, 31 Chemin Joseph Aiguier, 13009 Marseille, France
J Bacteriol 189:8636-42. 2007The Bacillus subtilis BceAB ABC transporter involved in a defense mechanism against bacitracin is composed of a membrane-spanning domain and a nucleotide-binding domain...
- YtsCD and YwoA, two independent systems that confer bacitracin resistance to Bacillus subtilisRemi Bernard
Laboratoire de Chimie Bacterienne, Institut de Biologie Structurale et Microbiologie, CNRS, 31 Chemin Joseph Aiguier, 13402 Marseille Cedex 20, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 228:93-7. 2003..tested for their sensitivity towards a series of antibiotics, null yts mutants were found to be sensitive to bacitracin. Real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) experiments demonstrated that the presence of bacitracin in the ..
- Acquired bacitracin resistance in Enterococcus faecalis is mediated by an ABC transporter and a novel regulatory protein, BcrRJanet M Manson
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Otago School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, P.O. Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:3743-8. 2004b>Bacitracin resistance (bacitracin MIC, >/=256 microg ml(-1)) has been reported in Enterococcus faecalis, and in the present study we report on the genetic basis for this resistance...
- Antibiotic resistance in Escherichia coll and Enterococcus spp. isolates from commercial broiler chickens receiving growth-promoting doses of bacitracin or virginiamycinAlexandre Thibodeau
University of Montreal, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, 3200 rue Sicotte, Saint Hyacinthe, Quebec J2S 2M2
Can J Vet Res 72:129-36. 2008Antibacterial agents such as zinc bacitracin (ZB) and virginiamycin (VG) are used as growth promoting agents (GP) in broiler chicken production...
- The bacA gene, which determines bacitracin susceptibility in Streptococcus pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus, is also required for virulenceA F Chalker
Anti Infective Research UP1345, SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals, 1250 South Collegeville Road, PO Box 5089, Collegeville, PA 19426 0989, USA
Microbiology 146:1547-53. 2000..aureus bacA mutant showed slightly reduced virulence in a mouse model of infection and an eightfold increase in bacitracin susceptibility. However, a Strep...
- Characterization of the mechanism of the Staphylococcus aureus cell envelope by bacitracin and bacitracin-metal ionsZu De Qi
College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan, People s Republic of China
J Membr Biol 225:27-37. 2008b>Bacitracin is a metal-dependent dodecapeptide antipeptide produced by Bacillus species...
- Two-component system VraSR positively modulates the regulation of cell-wall biosynthesis pathway in Staphylococcus aureusMakoto Kuroda
Bacteriology, Juntendo University, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Mol Microbiol 49:807-21. 2003..aureus showed significant decrease of resistance against teicoplanin, beta-lactam, bacitracin and fosfomycin but not of D-cycloserine and levofloxacin...
- Genome-wide transcriptional profiling of the response of Staphylococcus aureus to cell-wall-active antibiotics reveals a cell-wall-stress stimulonS Utaida
Microbiology Group, Department of Biological Sciences, Illinois State University, Normal, IL 61791-4120, USA
Microbiology 149:2719-32. 2003..and stress responses (including msrA, htrA, psrA and hslO), were upregulated by oxacillin, D-cycloserine or bacitracin. This response may represent the transcriptional signature of a cell-wall stimulon induced in response to cell-..
- In vitro activities of ramoplanin, teicoplanin, vancomycin, linezolid, bacitracin, and four other antimicrobials against intestinal anaerobic bacteriaD M Citron
R M Alden Research Laboratory, Santa Monica, California 90404, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2334-8. 2003....
- The bacA gene of Escherichia coli encodes an undecaprenyl pyrophosphate phosphatase activityMeriem El Ghachi
Laboratoire des Enveloppes Bactériennes et Antibiotiques, Institut de Biochimie et Biophysique Moleculaire et Cellulaire, UMR 8619 CNRS, Universite Paris Sud, Batiment 430, 91405 Orsay, France
J Biol Chem 279:30106-13. 2004The bacA gene, the overexpression of which results in bacitracin resistance, was inactivated and shown to be non-essential for growth of Escherichia coli...
- Comparison of soap and antibiotic solutions for irrigation of lower-limb open fracture wounds. A prospective, randomized studyJeffrey O Anglen
Department of Orthopaedics, Indiana University, 541 Clinical Drive, Suite 600, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5111, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:1415-22. 2005..This study was performed to compare the efficacy of those two solutions in the treatment of open fractures in humans...
- Mechanism of bacitracin permeation enhancement through the skin and cellular membranes from an ethosomal carrierB Godin
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, POB 12065, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Control Release 94:365-79. 2004The main objective of the present work was to investigate the dermal and intracellular delivery of bacitracin, a model polypeptide antibiotic, from ethosomes...
- BcrC from Bacillus subtilis acts as an undecaprenyl pyrophosphate phosphatase in bacitracin resistanceRemi Bernard
Laboratoire de Chimie Bacterienne, Institut de Biologie Structurale et Microbiologie, Batiment 430, 91405 Orsay Cedex, France
J Biol Chem 280:28852-7. 2005..called YwoA, in Escherichia coli or in Bacillus subtilis allows these bacteria to stand higher concentrations of bacitracin. It was suggested that BcrC(Bs) was a membrane-spanning domain of an ATP binding cassette (ABC) transporter ..
- Inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus infection by agents that interfere with thiol-disulfide interchange upon virus-receptor interactionH J Ryser
Department of Pathology, Boston University School of Medicine, MA 02118
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 91:4559-63. 1994..More recently it was found that the same membrane function can be inhibited by bacitracin, an inhibitor of protein disulfide-isomerase (PDI), and by monoclonal antibodies against PDI, suggesting that ..
- Genetic evidence for the actin homolog gene mreBH and the bacitracin resistance gene bcrC as targets of the alternative sigma factor SigI of Bacillus subtilisChi Ling Tseng
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Life Science, National Yang Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
J Bacteriol 190:1561-7. 2008..search procedure, we found putative sigmaI promoters preceding the actin homolog gene mreBH and the bacitracin resistance gene bcrC of B. subtilis. Overexpression of the B...
- Thiol/disulfide exchange is required for membrane fusion directed by the Newcastle disease virus fusion proteinSurbhi Jain
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
J Virol 81:2328-39. 2007..that inhibitors of cell surface thiol/disulfide isomerase activity--5'5-dithio-bis(2-nitrobenzoic acid) (DTNB), bacitracin, and anti-protein disulfide isomerase antibody--inhibited cell-cell fusion and virus entry but had no effect on ..
- Protein disulfide isomerase suppresses the transcriptional activity of NF-kappaBToshio Higuchi
Pharmaceutical Frontier Research Laboratories, Central Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Japan Tobacco Inc, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 318:46-52. 2004..This negative regulation of NF-kappaB was reversed by bacitracin, a PDI inhibitor...
- Metalloantibiotic Mn(II)-bacitracin complex mimicking manganese superoxide dismutaseTheeraphon Piacham
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medical Technology, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 341:925-30. 2006..g., free transition metal ions and metal-free bacitracin. The SOD activity of the complex was found to be in the order of Mn(II)>Cu(II)>Co(II)>Ni(II)...
- Resistance to bacitracin in Streptococcus pyogenes from oropharyngeal colonization and noninvasive infections in Portugal was caused by two clones of distinct virulence genotypesRenato Pires
Centro de Recursos Microbiológicos, Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Caparica, Portugal
FEMS Microbiol Lett 296:235-40. 2009During 2000-2007 in Lisbon, we identified 45 bacitracin-resistant Streptococcus pyogenes isolates among 1629 isolates: 24 from oropharyngeal healthy carriers (out of 1026), 21 from patients with noninvasive infections (out of 559) and ..
- Identification of multiple genes encoding membrane proteins with undecaprenyl pyrophosphate phosphatase (UppP) activity in Escherichia coliMeriem El Ghachi
Laboratoire des Enveloppes Bactériennes et Antibiotiques, Unite Mixte de Recherche 8619 CNRS, Universite Paris Sud, 91405 Orsay, France
J Biol Chem 280:18689-95. 2005..Overexpression of either of these genes, or of a fourth identified one, yeiU, is shown to result in bacitracin resistance and increased levels of undecaprenyl pyrophosphate phosphatase activity, as previously observed for ..
- Optimization of HPLC method for stability testing of bacitracinV Pavli
Department for Stability Testing, Krka Pharmaceuticals, Novo mesto, Slovenia
J Pharm Biomed Anal 24:977-82. 2001A stability indicating HPLC assay for bacitracin has been developed and validated. The assay is based on a gradient elution, reversed phase column and UV diode array detection...
- Cell wall stress responses in Bacillus subtilis: the regulatory network of the bacitracin stimulonThorsten Mascher
Department of Microbiology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853 8101, USA
Mol Microbiol 50:1591-604. 2003..We report the response of Bacillus subtilis to bacitracin, an inhibitor of cell wall biosynthesis found in its natural environment...
- Engineered biosynthesis of the peptide antibiotic bacitracin in the surrogate host Bacillus subtilisK Eppelmann
Department of Chemistry, Philipps University, D-35032 Marburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:34824-31. 2001..synthetases and subsequently used the same chromosomal location for integration of the entire 49-kilobase bacitracin biosynthetic gene cluster from Bacillus licheniformis by a stepwise homologous recombination method...
- The role of the bacitracin ABC transporter in bacitracin resistance and collateral detergent sensitivityZ Podlesek
Department of Biology, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
FEMS Microbiol Lett 188:103-6. 2000The bacitracin resistance of Bacillus licheniformis, a producer of bacitracin, is mediated by the ABC transporter Bcr...
- Effect of zinc bacitracin and salinomycin on intestinal microflora and performance of broilersR M Engberg
Department of Animal Nutrition and Physiology, Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Research Centre Foulum, Tjele
Poult Sci 79:1311-9. 2000..with four groups of broiler chickens fed experimental diets formulated to provide no supplementation, 20 mg zinc bacitracin, 60 mg salinomycin, or both feed additives in combination...
- Distribution and variation of bacitracin synthetase gene sequences in laboratory stock strains of Bacillus licheniformisHiroaki Ishihara
Faculty of Liberal Arts, Tohoku Gakuin University, Tenjinsawa 2-1-1, Izumi-ku, Sendai 981-3193, Japan
Curr Microbiol 45:18-23. 2002Distribution and variation of bacitracin synthetase gene (bac) sequences in 22 laboratory stock strains of Bacillus licheniformis were studied by Southern hybridization of bac gene probes from B...
- Attempts to eradicate methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization with the use of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, rifampin, and bacitracinJ S Roccaforte
Medical Services, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68105
Am J Infect Control 16:141-6. 1988..0 days) was oral trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, 160/800 mg twice daily, oral rifampin, 600 mg once daily, and bacitracin ointment three times a day. Eradication succeeded in 40 patients, 9 relapsed, and MRSA persisted in 7...
- Protein disulfide-isomerase mediates delivery of nitric oxide redox derivatives into plateletsSusannah E Bell
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Westminster, 115 New Cavendish Street, London W1W 6UW, UK
Biochem J 403:283-8. 2007..These results further highlight the importance of PDI in mediating the action of a wide range of NO-related signals...
- A bacitracin-resistant Bacillus subtilis gene encodes a homologue of the membrane-spanning subunit of the Bacillus licheniformis ABC transporterReiko Ohki
Department of Molecular Biolog, School of Health Sciences, Kyorin University, 476 Miyashita, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0005, Japan
J Bacteriol 185:51-9. 2003b>Bacitracin is a peptide antibiotic nonribosomally produced by Bacillus licheniformis...
- Comparison of dio-bacit, bacitracin-trimethoprim/ sulphamethoxazole and latex agglutination in the diagnosis of Group A beta-hemolytic streptococciMustafa Altindis
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Kocatepe University Faculty of Medicine, Afyon, Turkey
Yonsei Med J 45:56-60. 2004..media, Dio-Bacit, in a two section plate containing 5% sheep blood agar on one side and sheep blood agar with bacitracin (2 microg/ml) on the other was compared for its efficiency in identifying GAS with bacitracin and bacitracin + ..
- Unmarked gene deletion mutagenesis of gtfB and gtfC in Streptococcus mutans using a targeted hit-and-run strategy with a thermosensitive plasmidD Atlagic
Department of Oral Biology, College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 21:132-5. 2006..of about 99% and were analyzed for deletions of gtfB, gtfC and a part of mbrA by the lack of insoluble glucan synthesis, sensitivity to bacitracin, and polymerase chain reaction. Targeted gene deletions occurred at a frequency of 2.5%.
- Antimicrobial use and resistance in swine waste treatment systemsArchana Jindal
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 3204 Newmark Civil Engineering Laboratory, MC250, 205 North Mathews Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:7813-20. 2006....
- Use of elemental iodine for shunt infection prophylaxisSooHo Choi
Division of Neurosurgery, Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
Neurosurgery 52:908-12; discussion 912-3. 2003..I(2) at a concentration of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, or 1000 parts per million (ppm), cefazolin at 1 mg/ml, or bacitracin at 100 units/ml. Twenty-one adult male Wistar rats, in seven groups, underwent a frontoparietal craniectomy...
- Prophylaxis of radiation-associated mucositis in conventionally treated patients with head and neck cancer: a double-blind, phase III, randomized, controlled trial evaluating the clinical efficacy of an antimicrobial lozenge using a validated mucositis scS El-Sayed
Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 20:3956-63. 2002..randomized trial was to evaluate the clinical efficacy of an economically viable antimicrobial lozenge (bacitracin, clotrimazole, and gentamicin [BcoG]) in the alleviation of radiation-induced mucositis in patients with head ..
- Pathways of chemical degradation of polypeptide antibiotic bacitracinViljem Pavli
Stability Testing Department, Krka d d, Novo mesto, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Biol Pharm Bull 29:2160-7. 2006We described the main pathways of bacitracin (Bc) decomposition, chromatographically set the position of its major degradation products and evaluated microbiological activity of isolated components of Bc and its degradation products...
- Use of antibiotic-containing ointment versus plain petrolatum during and after clean cutaneous surgeryWilliam D James
J Am Acad Dermatol 55:915-6. 2006
- A randomized controlled trial comparing mupirocin versus Polysporin Triple for the prevention of catheter-related infections in peritoneal dialysis patients (the MP3 study)Sarbjit V Jassal
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, and Division of Nephrology, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Perit Dial Int 28:67-72. 2008....
- Role of bile in intestinal barrier function and its inhibitory effect on bacterial translocation in obstructive jaundice in ratsYorihiko Ogata
Department of Digestive Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokushima, Tokushima, Japan
J Surg Res 115:18-23. 2003..The CBDL rats were treated with bacitracin, neomycin sulfate, and streptomycin sulfate, and the intestinal tract was colonized with E...
- Bacterial isolates and antimicrobial susceptibilities in equine bacterial ulcerative keratitis (1993--2004)R L Keller
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, C247 Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-4544, USA
Equine Vet J 37:207-11. 2005..Only 64 % of S. equi ssp. zooepidemicus isolates were sensitive to bacitracin. No resistance was noted among P. aeruginosa to gentamicin, tobramycin or ciprofloxacin...
- Skin testing after anaphylaxis to a topical Neosporin preparationBrian C Schroer
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 101:444. 2008
- Microscopic and physiologic evidence for biofilm-associated wound colonization in vivoStephen C Davis
Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Wound Repair Regen 16:23-9. 2008..The structural and physiological results support the hypothesis that bacterial biofilms play a role in wound colonization and infection...
- A prospective, randomized pilot evaluation of topical triple antibiotic versus mupirocin for the prevention of uncomplicated soft tissue wound infectionRobert Hood
Department of Emergency Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Metro Health Medical Center, Ohio 44195, USA
Am J Emerg Med 22:1-3. 2004..There were no serious adverse effects in either group. This pilot study found a similar rate of wound infection and adverse events between TAO and mupirocin ointments. Results should be confirmed in a larger equivalency trial...
- [Comparison of checkerboard and time-kill methods for the analysis of two antibiotics combined]Wanda Grzybowska
Zakład Antybiotyków i Mikrobiologii NIZP w Warszawie
Med Dosw Mikrobiol 56:391-403. 2004..Combinations of procaine penicillin, polymyxin B and bacitracin with neomycin and procaine penicillin with dihydrostreptomycin were examined...
- Staphylococcal Drp35 is the functional counterpart of the eukaryotic PONsKazuya Morikawa
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tennoh dai, Tsukuba 305 8575, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 249:185-90. 2005..Drp35 is a lactonase that does not contribute directly to the resistance to the inducer antibiotics except for bacitracin. The detailed analysis on the expression of Drp35 revealed that in addition to a broad range of antibiotics, ..
- [Topical antibiotics and clinical use]Salih Cesur
Refik Saydam Hifzissihha Merkezi, , Ankara
Mikrobiyol Bul 36:353-61. 2002..Topical antibiotics of choice include bacitracin, neomycin, polymyxin B, mupirocin, nitrofurazone and fusidic acid...
- An antibiotic-inducible cell wall-associated protein that protects Bacillus subtilis from autolysisLetal I Salzberg
Department of Microbiology, 370 Wing Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Bacteriol 189:4671-80. 2007..subtilis. These results support a model in which induction of YoeB in response to cell envelope stress decreases the activity of autolysins and thereby reduces the rate of antibiotic-dependent cell death...
- Adaptation to flavomycin in the ruminal bacterium, Prevotella bryantiiJ E Edwards
Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen, UK
J Appl Microbiol 104:1617-23. 2008..This paper explores the adaptation mechanism of a common ruminal bacterium, Prevotella bryantii, to one of the banned compounds, flavomycin (flavophospholipol)...
- Susceptibility of Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus sobrinus to cell wall inhibitors and development of a novel selective medium for S. sobrinusM Hirasawa
Department of Microbiology, Nihon University School of Dentistry at Matsudo, Chiba, Japan
Caries Res 36:155-60. 2002..sobrinus and 125 microg/ml for S. mutans. Further addition of fosfomycin, bacitracin and sodium chloride to Mitis Salivarius agar (MS) supplemented with AZT resulted in growth inhibition of S...
- Chronic foot ulcer. Identifying patient's current topical therapy aids in diagnosisNorman Levine
University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, USA
Geriatrics 58:19. 2003
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of intestinal bacteria from Swiss poultry flocks before the ban of antimicrobial growth promotersA Frei
Department of Food Science, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology,
Syst Appl Microbiol 24:116-21. 2001..faecium (27), staphylococci (n = 39) and lactobacilli (n = 14) showed a hundred percent resistance against bacitracin which was included in the feed of the mother animals, but not in the feed of the investigated animals. E...
- Povidone-iodine-induced burn: case report and review of the literatureDonna O Lowe
Department of Pharmacy Services, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pharmacotherapy 26:1641-5. 2006..Given the widespread use of povidone-iodine and the potential for development of infection after a burn, clinicians need to be aware of this possible povidone-iodine-associated adverse drug reaction, and of preventive measures...
- Postoperative topical antimicrobial useVaneeta M Sheth
Department of Dermatology and the Division of Dermatologic Surgery, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Dermatitis 19:181-9. 2008..b>Bacitracin was also a common culprit, although at a lower rate (8%)...
- Beneficial effect of beta-mannanase feed enzyme on performance of chicks challenged with Eimerla sp. and Clostridium perfringensM E Jackson
ChemGen Corp, Gaithersburg, MD 20877, USA
Avian Dis 47:759-63. 2003..The disease challenge model was therefore judged as highly effective. Additions of a commonly used antibiotic, bacitracin methylene disalicilate (BMD), and coccidiostat, salinomycin, were highly effective in partially counteracting ..
- Dietary enzyme and zinc bacitracin reduce colonisation of layer hens by the intestinal spirochaete Brachyspira intermediaD J Hampson
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, WA 6150, Perth, Australia
Vet Microbiol 86:351-60. 2002..birds were randomly divided into four groups of 10, with the diet for each group containing either 50 ppm zinc bacitracin (ZnB), 100 ppm ZnB, 256 ppm of dietary enzyme (Avizyme), 1302), or no additive...
- Influence of in-feed zinc bacitracin and tiamulin treatment on experimental avian intestinal spirochaetosis caused by Brachyspira intermediaD J Hampson
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Avian Pathol 31:285-91. 2002..Birds received a diet containing 100 parts/10(6) zinc bacitracin (ZnB), and were monitored for 10 weeks. B...
- Susceptibility of skin and soft-tissue isolates of Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes to topical antibiotics: indications of clonal spread of fusidic acid-resistant Staphylococcus aureusJan Egil Afset
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Scand J Infect Dis 35:84-9. 2003..Minimum inhibitory concentrations (MIC) of bacitracin, fusidic acid and mupirocin were tested using the E-test...
- Regulation of the Bacillus subtilis bcrC bacitracin resistance gene by two extracytoplasmic function sigma factorsMin Cao
Department of Microbiology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853-8101, USA
J Bacteriol 184:6123-9. 2002b>Bacitracin resistance is normally conferred by either of two major mechanisms, the BcrABC transporter, which pumps out bacitracin, or BacA, an undecaprenol kinase that provides C(55)-isoprenyl phosphate by de novo synthesis...
- Risk factors for yeast superinfection in the treatment of suspected exit site infections: a case-control studyL Oliveira
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Vasc Access 9:35-8. 2008..The purpose of our study was to determine if the use of polysporin double in the treatment of exit site infections was associated with the emergence of yeast positive exit site cultures...
- Effects of zinc bacitracin, bird age and access to range on bacterial microbiota in the ileum and caeca of broiler chickensJ Gong
Guelph Food Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Guelph, ON, Canada
J Appl Microbiol 104:1372-82. 2008Determining the effects of zinc bacitracin, bird age and access to range on bacterial microbiota in the ileum and caeca of broilers.
- Contemporary antimicrobial activity of triple antibiotic ointment: a multiphased study of recent clinical isolates in the United States and AustraliaRonald N Jones
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 54:63-71. 2006Triple antibiotic ointment (TAO) containing neomycin, polymyxin B, and bacitracin was launched in the 1950s in the United States (USA) as a prescription product and then was used over the counter (OTC) since the 1970s (USA) to prevent ..
- Effects of feed additives and mixed eimeria species infection on intestinal microbial ecology of broilersM E Hume
Food and Feed Safety Research Unit, Southern Plains Agricultural Research Center, USDA, ARS, College Station, TX 77845, USA
Poult Sci 85:2106-11. 2006..microbial communities (MC) were examined in broilers fed diets supplemented with a combination of antibiotic (bacitracin methylene disalicylate) and ionophore (Coban 60), and diets containing 1 of 2 essential oil (EO) blends, Crina ..
- Relationship of dietary antimicrobial drug administration with broiler performance, decreased population levels of Lactobacillus salivarius, and reduced bile salt deconjugation in the ileum of broiler chickensJ Guban
Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Poult Sci 85:2186-94. 2006..Birds raised in floor pens had lower BW and feed intakes than those raised in cages. The administration of bacitracin in the feed increased feed intake from d 12 to d 35, decreased the feed conversion ratio during the same period ..
- Effect of growth promotant usage on enterococci species on a poultry farmAntoinette L Debnam
Department of Avian Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30605, USA
Avian Dis 49:361-5. 2005..and did not use any antimicrobials, while two other houses on the farm used flavomycin, virginiamycin, and bacitracin during different poultry grow-outs...
- The effects of Grobiotic-P on growth performance, nutrient digestibilities, and cecal microbial populations in young chicksP Biggs
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
Poult Sci 87:1796-803. 2008..diet containing no GB (negative control) and a diet containing an antibiotic growth promoter (positive control), bacitracin methylene disalicylate...
- Live attenuated vaccine-based control of necrotic enteritis of broiler chickensD R Thompson
Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ont, Canada N1G 2W1
Vet Microbiol 113:25-34. 2006..The procedure used experimental infection for 5 days followed by bacitracin treatment for 9 days, and then re-challenge 2 days later with a virulent strain, CP4...
- An alternative to antibiotic-based drugs in feed for enhancing performance of broilers grown on Eimeria spp.-infected litterV G Stanley
Cooperative Agricultural Research Center, Prairie View A and M University, Prairie View, Texas 77446, USA
Poult Sci 83:39-44. 2004Three trials were conducted to evaluate the effects of lasalocid, an anticoccidial feed additive (90.7 kg/ton); bacitracin, a growth-promoter (50 g/ton); and yeast culture residue (YCR) (1 kg/ton) on the performance of broiler chicks ..
- Allergic contact dermatitis from medical adhesive bandages in patients who report having a reaction to medical bandagesTravis J Widman
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Dermatitis 19:32-7. 2008..These reports do not adequately correspond to the frequency that patients report having an "allergy" to medical adhesive bandages...
- The efficacy of bacitracin methylene disalicylate when fed in combination with narasin in the management of necrotic enteritis in broiler chickensJ Brennan
Maple Leaf Foods Agresearch, Burford, Ontario, Canada
Poult Sci 82:360-3. 2003The efficacy of bacitracin methylene disalicylate (BMD) in the management of necrotic enteritis (NE) when fed in combination with narasin was investigated in a floor-pen study of 2,000 broiler chickens using a Clostridium perfringens ..
- Evaluation of tiamulin and lincomycin for the treatment of broiler breeders experimentally infected with the intestinal spirochaete Brachyspira pilosicoliC P Stephens
Toowoomba Veterinary Laboratory, Animal and Plant Health Service, Department of Primary Industries, Toowoomba, QLD 4350, Australia
Avian Pathol 31:299-304. 2002..At 29 weeks of age, all birds were transferred to a diet containing 50 parts/10(6) zinc bacitracin (ZnB) and were re-challenged with the same B. pilosicoli strain at 32 weeks of age, weekly for 5 weeks...
- Effects of a dried Bacillus subtilis culture on egg qualityL Li
College of Animal Science and Technology, China Agricultural University, Beijing, PR China 214036 [corrected
Poult Sci 85:364-8. 2006..The remaining groups received the control diet that contained either 20 mg of zinc bacitracin/kg and 4 mg of colistin sulfate/kg or 500, 1,000, or 1,500 mg of B. subtilis culture/ kg, respectively...
- Isolation of bacillus subtilis MH-4 from soil and its potential of polypeptidic antibiotic productionBushra Jamil
Department of Microbiology, Quaid i Azam, University, Islamabad, Pakistan
Pak J Pharm Sci 20:26-31. 2007The genus Bacillus produces mainly polypeptide antibiotics such as bacitracin and polymyxin. Bacillus species were isolated from soil by soil sprinkle technique. And all were screened for the production of antibiotic...
- Regulatory overlap and functional redundancy among Bacillus subtilis extracytoplasmic function sigma factorsThorsten Mascher
Department of Microbiology, Wing Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853 8101, USA
J Bacteriol 189:6919-27. 2007..In several cases, these antibiotic-sensitive phenotypes are significantly enhanced in the triple mutant strain relative to strains lacking only one or two sigma factors...
- Comparison of the effects of commonly used wound agents on epithelialization and neovascularizationD Kjolseth
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Louisville, KY 40292
J Am Coll Surg 179:305-12. 1994..In this study, we examined the effect of six commonly used topical wound agents (bacitracin, sodium hypochlorite, silver nitrate, silver sulfadiazine, mafenide acetate, and povidone-iodine) on ..
- Associations between the use of antimicrobial agents for growth promotion and the occurrence of resistance among Enterococcus faecium from broilers and pigs in Denmark, Finland, and NorwayF M Aarestrup
Danish Veterinary Laboratory, Copenhagen
Microb Drug Resist 6:63-70. 2000..1997, and Finnish poultry (52) and swine (43) in 1996 and examined for susceptibility to avilamycin, avoparcin, bacitracin, flavomycin, monensin, salinomycin, spiramycin, tylosin, and virginiamycin...
- In vitro human plasma leucine(5)-enkephalin degradation is inhibited by a select number of drugs with the phenothiazine molecule in their chemical structureAron D Mosnaim
Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, Finch University of Health Sciences, Chicago Medical School, Chicago, Ill, USA
Pharmacology 67:6-13. 2003..2 +/- 1.1, 19.6 +/- 1.0, 17.2 +/- 0.9, 17.1 +/- 1.0, and 17.1 +/- 1.1 min, respectively. Control and bacitracin (known aminopeptidase inhibitor) values were 11.8 +/- 1.0 and 31.3 +/- 1.7 min, respectively...
- Antibiotic susceptibility of potentially probiotic Bifidobacterium isolates from the human gastrointestinal tractW P Charteris
SET Consultants Ltd, Douglas, Cork, Ireland
Lett Appl Microbiol 26:333-7. 1998..cefuroxime (30 micrograms), cefaclor (30 micrograms), ceftizoxime (30 micrograms), cefotaxime (30 micrograms), bacitracin (10 micrograms), chloramphenicol (30 micrograms), erythromycin (15 micrograms), clindamycin (2 micrograms), ..
- The susceptibility to growth-promoting antibiotics of Enterococcus faecium isolates from pigs and chickens in EuropeRobin Bywater
Bristol Centre for Antimicrobial Researcg, Department of Pathology and Microbiology, Bywater Consultancy, Clungunford, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:538-43. 2005..To establish the susceptibility of Enterococcus faecium isolates from pigs and chickens to antimicrobial growth promoters that either were or had been in use in the European Union...
- Are topical antimicrobials effective against bacteria that are highly resistant to systemic antibiotics?Alice N Neely
Microbiology Department, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
J Burn Care Res 30:19-29. 2009..mafenide + nystatin, silver nitrate, Dakin's, polymyxin B, neomycin, polymyxin + neomycin, silver sulfadiazine, bacitracin, silver sulfadiazine + bacitracin) was tested using the agar well diffusion assay and compared with the ..
- [Antimicrobial mechanisms of action]Jorge Calvo
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, Santander, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 27:44-52. 2009..cells-can be affected in several ways: at different stages of synthesis (fosfomycin, cycloserine) or transport (bacitracin, mureidomycins) of its metabolic precursors, or by a direct action on its structural organization (beta-lactams, ..
- Antimicrobial resistance and virulence of Enterococcus faecalis isolated from retail foodLori L McGowan-Spicer
Bacterial Epidemiology and Antimicrobial Resistance Research Unit, U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Russell Research Center, Athens, Georgia 30605, USA
J Food Prot 71:760-9. 2008..The highest rates of resistance were observed for lincomycin (73 of 80 isolates, 91%) and bacitracin (57 of 80 isolates, 71%), and lower rates of resistance (< or =40%) were found for chloramphenicol, ..
- Differences in antibiotic resistance patterns of Enterococcus faecalis and Enterococcus faecium strains isolated from farm and pet animalsP Butaye
Laboratory of Veterinary Bacteriology and Mycology, Department of Pathology, Bacteriology, and Poultry Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ghent, B 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:1374-8. 2001..faecalis as well as in E. faecium strains with narasin and bacitracin. Resistance against ampicillin was mainly found among E. faecium strains from pets and was absent in E. faecalis...
- Optimal conditions for determination of zinc bacitracin, polymyxin B, oxytetracycline and sulfacetamide in animal feed by micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatographyRade Injac
Faculty of Pharmacy, Institute of Pharmaceutical Biology, University of Ljubljana, Askerceva 7, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 25:424-31. 2008A separation technique for zinc bacitracin, polymyxin B, oxytetracycline and sulfacetamide in animal feedstuffs by micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography (MEKC) was developed...
- Sesquiterpene farnesol inhibits recycling of the C55 lipid carrier of the murein monomer precursor contributing to increased susceptibility to beta-lactams in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusMakoto Kuroda
Department of Microbiology, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:425-32. 2007..In this study, we investigated farnesol's synergistic effects on commonly used antimicrobials, beta-lactams in particular, to explore its potential inhibitory effect on cell wall synthesis...
- Contact allergy to lidocaine: a report of sixteen casesAntoine Amado
Department of Dermatology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Dermatitis 18:215-20. 2007..Concomitant patch-test reactions occurred with neomycin 20% (10 cases), bacitracin 20% (9 cases), fragrance mix 8% (3 cases), balsam of Peru 25% (2 cases), and dibucaine 2...
- Degradation kinetics of methionine5-enkephalin by select brain areas from patients with chronic schizophreniaAron D Mosnaim
Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, Illinois 60064, USA
Am J Ther 15:126-30. 2008..4 degrees C and 37 degrees C), reduced by the aminopeptidase inhibitors puromycin, bacitracin, and bestatin, and to a lesser extent by thioridazine...
- Veterinary pharmaceuticals and antibiotic resistance of Escherichia coli isolates in poultry litter from commercial farms and controlled feeding trialsV Furtula
Aquatic Ecosystem Impacts Research Division, Pacific Environmental Science Centre, Environment Canada, 2645 Dollarton Highway, North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V7H 1B1
Poult Sci 89:180-8. 2010..Litter samples were collected from controlled feeding trials and from commercial farms. Feed additives bacitracin, chlortetracycline, monensin, narasin, nicarbazin, penicillin, salinomycin, and virginiamycin, which were ..
- Rapid degradation of endothelin-1 by an enzyme released by the rat isolated perfused mesenteryF Perez-Vizcaino
William Harvey Research Institute, Medical College of Saint Bartholomews Hospital, London
Br J Pharmacol 114:867-71. 1995..3 x 10-4 M), dichloroisocoumarin(5 x 10-5 M), phenylmethyl-sulphonyl fluoride (10-3 M), a combination of bacitracin (300 mg ml-1),bestatin (10-5 M), captopril (10-5 M), phosphoramidon (10-4 M) and thiorphan (10-4 M) or Polypep (..
- Identification, susceptibility, and detection of integron-gene cassettes of Arcanobacterium pyogenes in bovine endometritisM C Liu
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100193, PR China
J Dairy Sci 92:3659-66. 2009..5 to 71.9% were resistant to cephalosporins. One hundred percent were resistant to sulfonamides and bacitracin zinc. The integrons were further confirmed by sequencing...
- Protein-disulfide isomerase-mediated reduction of the A subunit of cholera toxin in a human intestinal cell lineP A Orlandi
Membrane Biochemistry Section, Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology, NINDS, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, USA
J Biol Chem 272:4591-9. 1997..of protein-disulfide isomerase (PDI) and its cytotoxicity was inhibited by p-chloromercuribenzenesulfonic acid, bacitracin, or anti-PDI antibodies, these inhibitors had no effect on CT reduction or activity in intact cells...
- A Bacitracin derivative for systemic useAke Elhammer; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Structural studies of target recognition by large natural product antibioticsPatrick J Loll; Fiscal Year: 2010..The specific molecules under study include ramoplanin, enduracidin, and bacitracin. The third class of antibiotics comprises cyclic decapeptides that permeabilize bacterial membranes...
- Structural studies of target recognition by large natural product antibioticsPATRICK LOLL; Fiscal Year: 2009..The specific molecules under study include ramoplanin, enduracidin, and bacitracin. The third class of antibiotics comprises cyclic decapeptides that permeabilize bacterial membranes...
- Structural studies of target recognition by large natural product antibioticsPATRICK LOLL; Fiscal Year: 2009..The specific molecules under study include ramoplanin, enduracidin, and bacitracin. The third class of antibiotics comprises cyclic decapeptides that permeabilize bacterial membranes...
- PROTEIN-LIPID INTERACTIONRobert Gennis; Fiscal Year: 1980..It is likely that the E. coli outer membrane is an active participant in this phenomenon. Bacitracin is a peptide antibiotic whose structure is known and which forms a complex with polyisoprenyl pyrophosphates...
- Multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii,ROBERT BONOMO; Fiscal Year: 2009..baumannii, form a basis for the evaluation of novel beta-lactams, and show how enzyme drug targets influence substrate affinity and catalysis. ..
- Multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii,Robert A Bonomo; Fiscal Year: 2010..baumannii, form a basis for the evaluation of novel beta-lactams, and show how enzyme drug targets influence substrate affinity and catalysis. ..
- Understanding ceftazidime resistance in SHV B-LactamasesROBERT BONOMO; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Multidrug resistant Acinetobacter baumannii,ROBERT BONOMO; Fiscal Year: 2007..baumannii, form a basis for the evaluation of novel beta-lactams, and show how enzyme drug targets influence substrate affinity and catalysis. ..
- Conference--Dermatologic Disease in Skin of ColorSusan Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..They believe that these presentations and discussions will lead to a greater interest in the specific problem related to access to care for dermatologic disease among persons of color. ..
- Challenges in beta-Lactamase Mediated ResistanceRobert A Bonomo; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will engineer mutations in these beta-lactamases to understand their catalytic properties, study the interactions of new inhibitors with these enzymes, and determine their structures by X-ray crystallography. ..