Genomes and Genes
Summary: A family of diphenylenemethane derivatives.
Publications277 found, 100 shown here
- Improved diagnostic testing and malaria treatment practices in ZambiaDavidson H Hamer
Center for International Health and Development, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Mass 02118, USA
JAMA 297:2227-31. 2007....
- Dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine and artemether-lumefantrine for treating uncomplicated malaria in African children: a randomised, non-inferiority trialQuique Bassat
Barcelona Centre for International Health Research CRESIB, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS ONE 4:e7871. 2009..Dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine (DHA-PQP) is a promising fixed-dose ACT with limited information on its safety and efficacy in African children...
- Effect of malaria rapid diagnostic tests on the management of uncomplicated malaria with artemether-lumefantrine in Kenya: a cluster randomized trialJacek Skarbinski
Malaria Branch, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 3724, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:919-26. 2009..30). RDTs could potentially improve malaria case management, but we urgently need to develop more effective strategies for implementing guidelines before large scale implementation...
- In vivo selection of Plasmodium falciparum parasites carrying the chloroquine-susceptible pfcrt K76 allele after treatment with artemether-lumefantrine in AfricaChristin Sisowath
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Medicine and Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Infect Dis 199:750-7. 2009..Identification of drug-specific parasite determinants that contribute to treatment failures will provide important tools for the detection and surveillance of AL resistance...
- Artemether-lumefantrine versus dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for falciparum malaria: a longitudinal, randomized trial in young Ugandan childrenEmmanuel Arinaitwe
Makerere University University of California San Francisco Research Collaboration, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:1629-37. 2009..However, which therapies are optimal is a matter of debate. We aimed to compare the short- and longer-term efficacy of 2 leading therapies in a cohort of young Ugandan children...
- Malaria case-management following change of policy to universal parasitological diagnosis and targeted artemisinin-based combination therapy in KenyaAndrew Nyandigisi
Division of Malaria Control, Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation, Nairobi, Kenya
PLoS ONE 6:e24781. 2011..We evaluated changes in health systems and case-management indicators between the baseline survey undertaken before implementation of the policy and the follow-up survey following the first year of the implementation activities...
- In vivo selection of Plasmodium falciparum pfmdr1 86N coding alleles by artemether-lumefantrine (Coartem)Christin Sisowath
Malaria Research Laboratory, Unit of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
J Infect Dis 191:1014-7. 2005..This points to 86N as a potential marker of lumefantrine resistance in vivo, while suggesting that Coartem is not robust enough to avoid selection of resistance-associated mutations in some malarial settings...
- In vitro activities of piperaquine, lumefantrine, and dihydroartemisinin in Kenyan Plasmodium falciparum isolates and polymorphisms in pfcrt and pfmdr1Leah Mwai
Kenya Medical Research Institute KEMRI Wellcome Trust Collaborative Research Program, Kilifi, Kenya
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:5069-73. 2009..Therefore, the use of LM-artemether is likely to lead to the selection of more CQ-susceptible parasites...
- Decreasing pfmdr1 copy number in plasmodium falciparum malaria heightens susceptibility to mefloquine, lumefantrine, halofantrine, quinine, and artemisininAmar bir Singh Sidhu
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Infect Dis 194:528-35. 2006..These results highlight the importance of pfmdr1 copy number in determining P. falciparum susceptibility to multiple agents currently being used to combat malaria caused by multidrug-resistant parasites...
- Malaria drug shortages in Kenya: a major failure to provide access to effective treatmentBeth B Kangwana
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Programme Nairobi, Kenya
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:737-8. 2009..The shortage was in large part caused by a delayed procurement process. National ministries of health and the international community must address the current shortcomings facing antimalarial drug supply to the public sector...
- Declining responsiveness of Plasmodium falciparum infections to artemisinin-based combination treatments on the Kenyan coastSteffen Borrmann
Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Kilifi, Kenya
PLoS ONE 6:e26005. 2011..The emergence of artemisinin-resistant P. falciparum malaria in South-East Asia highlights the need for continued global surveillance of the efficacy of artemisinin-based combination therapies...
- SMS for Life: a pilot project to improve anti-malarial drug supply management in rural Tanzania using standard technologyJim Barrington
SMS for Life Program Director, Forum 1 P 94, Novartis Campus, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Malar J 9:298. 2010..Lack of visibility of anti-malarial stock levels at the health facility level is an important contributor to this problem...
- Adherence to treatment with artemether-lumefantrine for uncomplicated malaria in rural MalawiKimberly E Mace
Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Malaria Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 53:772-9. 2011..Because of concerns about the complex dosing schedule, we assessed patient adherence to AL 2 years after routine implementation...
- Changes in health workers' malaria diagnosis and treatment practices in KenyaElizabeth Juma
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme, PO Box 43640, 00100 GPO, Nairobi, Kenya
Malar J 10:1. 2011..Three years after the policy implementation, health workers' adherence to malaria diagnosis and treatment recommendations was evaluated...
- Population pharmacokinetics of lumefantrine in pregnant women treated with artemether-lumefantrine for uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malariaJoel Tarning
Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:3837-46. 2009..In conclusion, altered pharmacokinetic properties of lumefantrine contribute to the high rates of failure of artemether-lumefantrine treatment in later pregnancy. Dose optimization is urgently needed...
- Quality of malaria case management at outpatient health facilities in AngolaAlexander K Rowe
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, USA
Malar J 8:275. 2009..Implementation was complicated by a policy that was sometimes ambiguous...
- Effectiveness of quinine versus artemether-lumefantrine for treating uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Ugandan children: randomised trialJane Achan
Makerere University School of Health Sciences, PO Box 7475, Kampala, Uganda
BMJ 339:b2763. 2009..To compare the effectiveness of oral quinine with that of artemether-lumefantrine in treating uncomplicated malaria in children...
- Adherence to a six-dose regimen of artemether-lumefantrine for treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in UgandaCarole Fogg
Epicentre, Paris, France
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:525-30. 2004..The high adherence to artemether-lumefantrine found in our study suggest that this drug is likely to be very effective in Mbarara provided that patients receive clear dosage explanations...
- Efficacy and safety of artemether-lumefantrine compared with quinine in pregnant women with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria: an open-label, randomised, non-inferiority trialPatrice Piola
Epicentre, Paris, France
Lancet Infect Dis 10:762-9. 2010..We aimed to assess whether artemether-lumefantrine was at least as efficacious as oral quinine for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy in Mbarara, Uganda...
- Deploying artemether-lumefantrine with rapid testing in Ethiopian communities: impact on malaria morbidity, mortality and healthcare resourcesHailemariam Lemma
Tigray Health Bureau, Mekelle, Ethiopia
Trop Med Int Health 15:241-50. 2010....
- Adherence to and acceptability of artemether-lumefantrine as first-line anti-malarial treatment: evidence from a rural community in TanzaniaAbdunoor M Kabanywanyi
Ifakara Health Institute, P, O, Box 78373, Kiko Avenue, Old Bagamoyo Road, Mikocheni, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Malar J 9:48. 2010..Controlled clinical trials have shown that a six-dose regimen of artemether-lumefantrine (AL) therapy for uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria results in cure rates >95% with good tolerability...
- Impact of the large-scale deployment of artemether/lumefantrine on the malaria disease burden in Africa: case studies of South Africa, Zambia and EthiopiaKaren I Barnes
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town Faculty of Health Sciences, Anzio Road, Observatory, 7925, South Africa
Malar J 8:S8. 2009..Artemisinin-based combination therapy has made a substantial contribution to reducing the burden of malaria in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Pfmdr1 copy number and arteminisin derivatives combination therapy failure in falciparum malaria in CambodiaPharath Lim
Institut Pasteur in Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Malar J 8:11. 2009....
- A trial of combination antimalarial therapies in children from Papua New GuineaHarin A Karunajeewa
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Crawley, WA, Australia
N Engl J Med 359:2545-57. 2008..Malaria control is difficult where there is intense year-round transmission of multiple plasmodium species, such as in Papua New Guinea...
- Population pharmacokinetics of Artemether and dihydroartemisinin in pregnant women with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in UgandaJoel Tarning
Centre for Tropical Medicine, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Malar J 11:293. 2012..The objective of this study was to evaluate the population pharmacokinetic properties of artemether and its active metabolite dihydroartemisinin in pregnant women with uncomplicated P. falciparum malaria in Uganda...
- Novel polymorphisms in Plasmodium falciparum ABC transporter genes are associated with major ACT antimalarial drug resistanceMaria Isabel Veiga
Malaria Research Lab, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e20212. 2011..Our work unveils new candidate markers of P. falciparum multidrug resistance in vitro, while contributing to the understanding of subjacent genetic complexity, essential for future evidence-based drug policy decisions...
- Community case management of fever due to malaria and pneumonia in children under five in Zambia: a cluster randomized controlled trialKojo Yeboah-Antwi
Center for Global Health and Development, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Med 7:e1000340. 2010..This study was designed to assess the effectiveness and feasibility of using CHWs to manage nonsevere pneumonia and uncomplicated malaria with the aid of rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs)...
- Adherence to prescribed artemisinin-based combination therapy in Garissa and Bunyala districts, KenyaHarriet Lawford
The MENTOR Initiative, La Prade, 11150, Villasavary, France
Malar J 10:281. 2011..This study reports adherence to a specific ACT, artemether-lumefantrine (AL), under conditions of routine clinical practice in Kenya...
- Population pharmacokinetics of artemether, lumefantrine, and their respective metabolites in Papua New Guinean children with uncomplicated malariaSam Salman
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Fremantle Hospital, Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:5306-13. 2011....
- Population pharmacokinetics and therapeutic response of CGP 56697 (artemether + benflumetol) in malaria patientsF Ezzet
Novartis Pharma AG, Basel, Switzerland
Br J Clin Pharmacol 46:553-61. 1998..While the 4 x 4 dose regimen is very effective in most endemic areas, the poorer absorption (2.5 fold lower than in China) and the more resistant parasites in Thailand require higher doses of this drug...
- Increased pfmdr1 copy number and sequence polymorphisms in Plasmodium falciparum isolates from Sudanese malaria patients treated with artemether-lumefantrineNahla B Gadalla
Department of Epidemiology, Tropical Medicine Research Institute, National Centre for Research, Khartoum, Sudan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:5408-11. 2011..One individual carried parasites with a novel pfmdr1 polymorphism (F1044L). pfmdr1 gene amplification in parasites prior to treatment occurred in three individuals who had recurrent infection during follow-up...
- The role of pfmdr1 in Plasmodium falciparum tolerance to artemether-lumefantrine in AfricaChristin Sisowath
Malaria Research Unit, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Trop Med Int Health 12:736-42. 2007..e. pfmdr1 gene amplification, pfmdr1 Y184F, S1034C, N1042D, D1246Y, pfcrt S163R and PfATP6 S769N...
- Efficacy and effectiveness of artemether-lumefantrine after initial and repeated treatment in children <5 years of age with acute uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in rural Tanzania: a randomized trialBilly E Ngasala
Malaria Research, Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Medicine Solna, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Infect Dis 52:873-82. 2011....
- Effectiveness of artemether-lumefantrine provided by community health workers in under-five children with uncomplicated malaria in rural Tanzania: an open label prospective studyBilly E Ngasala
Malaria Research, Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Medicine Solna, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Malar J 10:64. 2011....
- Amodiaquine and artemether-lumefantrine select distinct alleles of the Plasmodium falciparum mdr1 gene in Tanzanian children treated for uncomplicated malariaG S Humphreys
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:991-7. 2007..25; 95% confidence interval, 4.17 to 1441; P, <0.001). We conclude that AL and AQ exert opposite within-host selective effects on the Pfmdr1 gene of P. falciparum...
- The impact of retail-sector delivery of artemether-lumefantrine on malaria treatment of children under five in Kenya: a cluster randomized controlled trialBeth P Kangwana
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Kenya
PLoS Med 8:e1000437. 2011..This study in western Kenya aimed to evaluate the impact of providing subsidized artemether-lumefantrine (AL) through retail providers on the coverage of prompt, effective antimalarial treatment for febrile children aged 3-59 months...
- A randomized trial to monitor the efficacy and effectiveness by QT-NASBA of artemether-lumefantrine versus dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for treatment and transmission control of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in western KenyaPetra F Mens
Koninklijk Instituut voor de Tropen KIT Royal Tropical Institute, KIT Biomedical Research, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Malar J 7:237. 2008....
- Repeated treatment of recurrent uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Senegal with fixed-dose artesunate plus amodiaquine versus fixed-dose artemether plus lumefantrine: a randomized, open-label trialJean Louis A Ndiaye
Department of Medical Parasitology, Medical Faculty, Universite Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar, Senegal
Malar J 10:237. 2011....
- Increased prevalence of the Plasmodium falciparum Pfmdr1 86N genotype among field isolates from Franceville, Gabon after replacement of chloroquine by artemether-lumefantrine and artesunate-mefloquineJean Bernard Lekana-Douki
Unité de Parasitologie Médicale UPARAM, Centre International de Recherches Medicales de Franceville CIRMF, B P 769 Franceville, Gabon
Infect Genet Evol 11:512-7. 2011....
- Selection of Plasmodium falciparum pfmdr1 alleles following therapy with artemether-lumefantrine in an area of Uganda where malaria is highly endemicChristian Dokomajilar
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, Box 0811, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:1893-5. 2006..All samples had a single pfmdr1 copy. Treatment with artemether-lumefantrine selects for polymorphisms that may alter antimalarial drug response...
- Multiple dose pharmacokinetics of artemether in Chinese patients with uncomplicated falciparum malariaM A van Agtmael
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Antimicrob Agents 12:151-8. 1999..We suggest that auto-induction of gut mucosa enzymes and/or liver enzymes causes a time-dependent increase in first-pass metabolisation of artemether...
- In vivo efficacy of artemether-lumefantrine against uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Central EthiopiaJimee Hwang
U S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Malar J 10:209. 2011..In Ethiopia, artemether-lumefantrine (AL) has been the first-line treatment for uncomplicated P. falciparum malaria since 2004...
- Evaluation of recurrent parasitemia after artemether-lumefantrine treatment for uncomplicated malaria in children in western KenyaJoseph V Woodring
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:458-64. 2010..This underscores patient counseling on completing all treatment doses for optimal protection from RP...
- No hearing loss associated with the use of artemether-lumefantrine to treat experimental human malariaMatthew B B McCall
Department of Medical Microbiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 100:1098-104. 2006..Our results support the continued implementation of artemisinin derivatives in the fight against drug-resistant malaria...
- Artemisinin-based combinationsElizabeth A Ashley
Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, Mae Sot, Tak, Thailand
Curr Opin Infect Dis 18:531-6. 2005..Artemisinin-based combination treatments have been the mainstay of treatment for falciparum malaria in Southeast Asia for more than 10 years and are now increasingly recommended as first-line treatment throughout the rest of the world...
- The effects of a pre-season treatment with effective antimalarials on subsequent malaria morbidity in under five-year-old children living in high and seasonal malaria transmission area of Burkina FasoAlphonse Ouedraogo
Centre National de Recherche et de Formation sur le Paludisme, Ministere de la Sante, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso Groupe de Recherche Action en Santé, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Trop Med Int Health 15:1315-21. 2010..To evaluate the effects of pre-season treatment with single dose of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP) or artemether-lumefantrine (AL) on subsequent malaria morbidity in under-fives...
- Efficacy and tolerability of artesunate-amodiaquine (Camoquin plus) versus artemether-lumefantrine (Coartem) against uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria: multisite trial in Senegal and Ivory CoastBabacar Faye
Service de Parasitologie Mycologie Médicale, Universite Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar Fann, Senegal
Trop Med Int Health 15:608-13. 2010....
- Pharmacokinetic study of artemether-lumefantrine given once daily for the treatment of uncomplicated multidrug-resistant falciparum malariaElizabeth A Ashley
Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, Mae Sot, Thailand
Trop Med Int Health 12:201-8. 2007..If the fixed antimalarial drug combination artemether-lumefantrine (AL) could be given once daily, this should improve adherence and thus effectiveness and lower the risk of selecting for resistance...
- Effect of single nucleotide polymorphisms in cytochrome P450 isoenzyme and N-acetyltransferase 2 genes on the metabolism of artemisinin-based combination therapies in malaria patients from Cambodia and TanzaniaEva Maria Staehli Hodel
Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 57:950-8. 2013....
- Unusual sequence effects on nucleotide excision repair of arylamine lesions: DNA bending/distortion as a primary recognition factorVipin Jain
Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI 02881, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 41:869-80. 2013..This work represents a novel 3'-next flanking sequence effect as a unique NER factor for bulky arylamine lesions in E. coli...
- Efficacy of artemether-lumefantrine in treatment of malaria among under-fives and prevalence of drug resistance markers in Igombe-Mwanza, north-western TanzaniaErasmus Kamugisha
Weill Bugando University College of Health Sciences, Mwanza, Tanzania
Malar J 11:58. 2012....
- Adherence to a six-dose regimen of artemether-lumefantrine among uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum patients in the Tigray Region, EthiopiaHailemariam Lemma
Tigray Health Bureau, Mekelle, Ethiopia
Malar J 10:349. 2011..The aim of this study was to measure patient adherence levels to the six-dose AL regimen for the treatment of uncomplicated P. falciparum malaria and to identify its determinant factors in rural areas of the Tigray region, Ethiopia..
- Influence of flanking sequence context on the conformational flexibility of aminofluorene-modified dG adduct in dA mismatch DNA duplexesNidhi Jain
Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI 02881, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 37:1628-37. 2009....
- Plasmodium falciparum population dynamics during the early phase of anti-malarial drug treatment in Tanzanian children with acute uncomplicated malariaAnja M Carlsson
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Medicine Solna, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Retzius väg 10, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Malar J 10:380. 2011..This study aimed to explore Plasmodium falciparum population dynamics during the early phase of anti-malarial drug treatment with artemisinin-based combination therapy in children with clinical malaria in a high transmission area in Africa...
- Pharmacokinetics of artemether and dihydroartemisinin in healthy Pakistani male volunteers treated with artemether-lumefantrineShabana Ali
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Army Medical College, National University of Sciences and Technology NUST, Islamabad, Pakistan
Malar J 9:275. 2010..The aim of this study was to evaluate the pharmacokinetics of artemether and its active metabolite, dihydroartemisinin, in healthy Pakistani volunteers...
- Implementation of Home based management of malaria in children reduces the work load for peripheral health facilities in a rural district of Burkina FasoAlfred B Tiono
Centre National de Recherche et de Formation sur Paludisme, Ministère de Santé, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, West Africa
Malar J 7:201. 2008..However, the potential fall-out of this community-based strategy on the work burden at the peripheral health facilities level has never been investigated...
- Probing the conformational heterogeneity of the acetylaminofluorene-modified 2'-deoxyguanosine and DNA by 19F NMR spectroscopyB P Cho
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Rhode Island, Kingston 02881, USA
Biochemistry 38:7572-83. 1999..et al. (1997) J. Am. Chem. Soc. 119, 5384-5389]. The exclusive stacked nature of the AAF adducts may provide insight into why AAF adducts are more mutagenic and prone to repair than the nonacetylated AF adducts...
- The use of artemether-lumefantrine for the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium vivax malariaQuique Bassat
Barcelona Centre for International Health Research CRESIB, Hospital Clínic Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1325. 2011..vivax, and in co-endemic areas where AL is already used routinely against P. falciparum and parasitological differentiation is not routinely performed or only clinical diagnosis is used...
- A pharmacy too far? Equity and spatial distribution of outcomes in the delivery of subsidized artemisinin-based combination therapies through private drug shopsJustin M Cohen
Clinton Health Access Initiative, 383 Dorchester Ave, Boston MA, 02127, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 10:S6. 2010..The Government of Tanzania and the Clinton Foundation piloted this subsidized distribution model in two Tanzanian districts to examine concerns about whether the intervention will successfully reach poor, rural communities...
- Site-specific incorporation of N-(deoxyguanosin-8-yl)-2-acetylaminofluorene (dG-AAF) into oligonucleotides using modified 'ultra-mild' DNA synthesisLudovic C J Gillet
Institute for Molecular Cancer Research, University of Zürich August Forel Strasse 7, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Nucleic Acids Res 33:1961-9. 2005..Our synthetic approach should facilitate comprehensive studies of the mechanisms of repair and mutagenesis induced by dG-AAF adducts in DNA and should be of general use for the incorporation of base-labile functionalities into DNA...
- Malaria case-management under artemether-lumefantrine treatment policy in UgandaDejan Zurovac
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
Malar J 7:181. 2008..Here the quality of AL case-management is reported from Uganda; approximately one year after AL replaced combination of chloroquine and sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine (CQ+SP) as recommended first line treatment for uncomplicated malaria...
- Chlorproguanil-dapsone-artesunate versus artemether-lumefantrine: a randomized, double-blind phase III trial in African children and adolescents with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malariaZul Premji
Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
PLoS ONE 4:e6682. 2009....
- Measurement of adherence, drug concentrations and the effectiveness of artemether-lumefantrine, chlorproguanil-dapsone or sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine in the treatment of uncomplicated malaria in MalawiDavid J Bell
Tropical and Infectious Diseases Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Malar J 8:204. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate the impact of poor adherence on the effectiveness of AL and CPD...
- Safety and tolerability of artemether-lumefantrine versus dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for malaria in young HIV-infected and uninfected childrenShereen Katrak
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, USA
Malar J 8:272. 2009..However, there is limited data on the safety and tolerability of these drugs, especially in young children and patients co-infected with HIV...
- Selection of Plasmodium falciparum multidrug resistance gene 1 alleles in asexual stages and gametocytes by artemether-lumefantrine in Nigerian children with uncomplicated falciparum malariaC T Happi
Malaria Research Laboratories, IMRAT, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:888-95. 2009..Pfmdr1 polymorphisms may result in reduction in the therapeutic efficacy of this newly adopted combination treatment for uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Saharan countries of Africa...
- Treatment of asymptomatic carriers with artemether-lumefantrine: an opportunity to reduce the burden of malaria?Bernhards Ogutu
Walter Reed Project Centre for Clinical Research Kenya Medical Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya
Malar J 9:30. 2010..The potential of this intervention was considered by key scientists in the field at an Advisory Board meeting held in Basel, in April 2009. This article summarizes the discussions that took place among the participants...
- Multicentric assessment of the efficacy and tolerability of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine compared to artemether-lumefantrine in the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in sub-Saharan AfricaWilliam Yavo
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical and Biological Sciences, Abidjan, Cote d Ivoire
Malar J 10:198. 2011....
- Piloting the global subsidy: the impact of subsidized artemisinin-based combination therapies distributed through private drug shops in rural TanzaniaOliver J Sabot
Malaria Control Team, Clinton Foundation HIV AIDS Initiative, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e6857. 2009..To overcome this challenge, a global ACT subsidy has been proposed. We tested this proposal through a pilot program in rural Tanzania...
- Comparison of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine, unsupervised artemether-lumefantrine, and unsupervised artesunate-amodiaquine fixed-dose formulation for uncomplicated plasmodium falciparum malaria in Benin: a randomized effectiveness noninferiority trialJean François Faucher
Institut de recherche pour le developpement IRD, Mother and Child Health in the Tropics Research Unit, Cotonou, Benin
J Infect Dis 200:57-65. 2009..We compared sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP) with unsupervised artemether-lumefantrine (AL) and unsupervised amodiaquine-artesunate (ASAQ) fixed-dose formulation for the treatment of uncomplicated malaria in children in Benin...
- Molecular and pharmacological determinants of the therapeutic response to artemether-lumefantrine in multidrug-resistant Plasmodium falciparum malariaRic N Price
Centre for Vaccinology and Tropical Medicine, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford, United Kingdom
Clin Infect Dis 42:1570-7. 2006..Our study examined the relative contributions of host, pharmacokinetic, and parasitological factors in determining the therapeutic response to artemether-lumefantrine (AL)...
- Efficacy and safety of a fixed-dose oral combination of pyronaridine-artesunate compared with artemether-lumefantrine in children and adults with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria: a randomised non-inferiority trialAntoinette K Tshefu
Ecole de Santé Publique, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Kinshasa, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Lancet 375:1457-67. 2010..We compared the efficacy and safety of pyronaridine-artesunate with that of artemether-lumefantrine for treatment of uncomplicated P falciparum malaria...
- Improvements in access to malaria treatment in Tanzania after switch to artemisinin combination therapy and the introduction of accredited drug dispensing outlets - a provider perspectiveSandra Alba
Dept Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Malar J 9:164. 2010..Subsidized ALu was made available in both health facilities and ADDOs. The effect of these interventions on access to malaria treatment was studied in rural Tanzania...
- Accessibility, availability and affordability of anti-malarials in a rural district in Kenya after implementation of a national subsidy schemeNathan Smith
Duke Global Health Institute, Trent Hall, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Malar J 10:316. 2011..The goal of this strategy is to make ACT as affordable as ineffective alternatives. The programme, called the Affordable Medicines Facility - malaria was rolled out in Kenya in August 2010...
- Increased risk of early vomiting among infants and young children treated with dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine compared with artemether-lumefantrine for uncomplicated malariaDarren Creek
Department of Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:873-5. 2010..27, P = 0.02). Our findings indicate that AL may be better tolerated than DP among young breastfeeding children treated for uncomplicated malaria...
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic characteristics of a new pediatric formulation of artemether-lumefantrine in African children with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malariaAbdoulaye A Djimde
Malaria Research and Training Center, University of Bamako, Bamako, Mali
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:3994-9. 2011..The results suggest that the dispersible tablet provides adequate systemic exposure to artemether, DHA, and lumefantrine in African children with uncomplicated P. falciparum malaria...
- Population pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of artemether and lumefantrine during combination treatment in children with uncomplicated falciparum malaria in TanzaniaSofia Friberg Hietala
Department of Pharmacology, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:4780-8. 2010..However, the poor precision in some parameters illustrates the need for further data to support and refine this model...
- Efficacy of fixed-dose combination artesunate-amodiaquine versus artemether-lumefantrine for uncomplicated childhood Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Democratic Republic of Congo: a randomized non-inferiority trialEmmanuelle Espié
Division of Malaria and Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Health, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Cheongwon gun 363 951, Republic of Korea
Malar J 11:174. 2012..In order to compare the efficacy of the fixed-dose formulation ASAQ versus artemether-lumefantrine (AL), a randomized, non-inferiority open-label trial was conducted in Katanga...
- Plasmodium falciparum drug resistance phenotype as assessed by patient antimalarial drug levels and its association with pfmdr1 polymorphismsMaja Malmberg
Malaria Research, Infectious Disease Unit, Department of Medicine Solna, Stockholm, Sweden
J Infect Dis 207:842-7. 2013..The aim of this study was to investigate the extent to which parasites with different genetic characteristics are able to withstand individual drug blood concentrations...
- No evidence for spread of Plasmodium falciparum artemisinin resistance to Savannakhet Province, Southern LaosMayfong Mayxay
Wellcome Trust Mahosot Hospital Oxford University Tropical Medicine Research Collaboration, Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane, Laos
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:403-8. 2012..Serious adverse events did not develop during or after treatment in any patients. In conclusion, no evidence of P. falciparum in vivo resistance to artesunate was found in southern Laos...
- Safety of artemether-lumefantrine in pregnant women with malaria: results of a prospective cohort study in ZambiaChristine Manyando
Tropical Diseases Research Centre, Ndola, Zambia
Malar J 9:249. 2010..Safety data regarding exposure to artemisinin-based combination therapy in pregnancy are limited. This prospective cohort study conducted in Zambia evaluated the safety of artemether-lumefantrine (AL) in pregnant women with malaria...
- Early variations in plasmodium falciparum dynamics in Nigerian children after treatment with two artemisinin-based combinations: implications on delayed parasite clearanceObaro S Michael
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Malar J 9:335. 2010..The study protocol was designed to evaluate more closely the early effects and the standard measures of efficacies of these two regimens...
- Interaction between artemether-lumefantrine and nevirapine-based antiretroviral therapy in HIV-1-infected patientsT Kredo
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:5616-23. 2011..The mechanism of the lumefantrine interaction remains to be elucidated. Studies investigating the interaction of nevirapine and artemether-lumefantrine in HIV-infected patients with malaria are urgently needed...
- Mutagenic events in Escherichia coli and mammalian cells generated in response to acetylaminofluorene-derived DNA adducts positioned in the Nar I restriction enzyme siteXingzhi Tan
Laboratory of Chemical Biology, Department of Pharmacological Sciences, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794 8651, USA
Biochemistry 41:14255-62. 2002..3-21%, the higher value at G(2). We conclude from this study that the mutation potential of dG-AAF and dG-AF depends on the structure of the adduct, the sequence context of the lesion, and the host cell used for the experiment...
- Rapid selection of Plasmodium falciparum chloroquine resistance transporter gene and multidrug resistance gene-1 haplotypes associated with past chloroquine and present artemether-lumefantrine use in Inhambane District, southern MozambiqueThomas T Thomsen
Section for Functional Genomics, Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen, Ole Maaløes Vej 5, 2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark
Am J Trop Med Hyg 88:536-41. 2013..In the absence of a clear AL-resistance marker and the (almost) continent-wide use of AL in sub-Saharan Africa, and when considering CQ reintroduction, continued monitoring of these markers is needed...
- Feasibility and acceptability of artemisinin-based combination therapy for the home management of malaria in four African sitesIkeOluwapo O Ajayi
Malaria Research Laboratories, Institute of Medical Research and Training, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Malar J 7:6. 2008..The feasibility and acceptability of incorporating ACT in HMM needs to be evaluated...
- Patterns of anti-malarial drug treatment among pregnant women in UgandaLaura R Sangaré
Department of Global Health, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Malar J 10:152. 2011..The study objective was to determine the degree to which presumed episodes of uncomplicated symptomatic malaria in pregnancy were treated with a recommended anti-malarial regimen in a region of Uganda...
- Prolonged selection of pfmdr1 polymorphisms after treatment of falciparum malaria with artemether-lumefantrine in UgandaFrederick N Baliraine
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0811, USA
J Infect Dis 204:1120-4. 2011..Thus, parasites selected for decreased drug sensitivity can appear long after predicted exposure to antimalarial drugs. Continued surveillance of the clinical efficacy and in vitro activity of new combination therapies is warranted...
- Adherence to artemether/lumefantrine treatment in children under real-life situations in rural TanzaniaDaudi O Simba
Department of Community Health, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 106:3-9. 2012....
- Conformational and thermodynamic properties modulate the nucleotide excision repair of 2-aminofluorene and 2-acetylaminofluorene dG adducts in the NarI sequenceVipin Jain
Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI 02881, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 40:3939-51. 2012..The present results provide valuable conformational insight into the sequence-dependent UvrABC incisions of the bulky aminofluorene DNA adducts...
- Association between the pfmdr1 gene and in vitro artemether and lumefantrine sensitivity in Thai isolates of Plasmodium falciparumMathirut Mungthin
Department of Parasitology, Phramongkutklao College of Medicine, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 83:1005-9. 2010..Separate analysis also indicated that parasites from different geographical areas were influenced by different genetic markers...
- Overuse of artemisinin-combination therapy in Mto wa Mbu (river of mosquitoes), an area misinterpreted as high endemic for malariaCharles Mwanziva
Department of Medical Microbiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Malar J 7:232. 2008..This study describes diagnostic and treatment practices in Mto wa Mbu, an area that used to be hyperendemic for malaria, but where no recent assessments of transmission intensity have been conducted...
- Community response to artemisinin-based combination therapy for childhood malaria: a case study from Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaVinay R Kamat
Department of Anthropology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Malar J 9:61. 2010..The paper specifically examines the perceived efficacy of ALu as articulated by the mothers of young children diagnosed with malaria and prescribed ALu...
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of lumefantrine (benflumetol) in acute falciparum malariaF Ezzet
Novartis Pharma AG, Basel, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:697-704. 2000..The high cure rates with the two six-dose regimens resulted from increased AUC and increased time at which lumefantrine concentrations were above the in vivo MIC...
- Treatment with coartem (artemether-lumefantrine) in Papua New GuineaSonja Schoepflin
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Am J Trop Med Hyg 82:529-34. 2010..In contrast to the situation in classic drug trials with ideal treatment conditions, our field survey highlights potential problems with unsupervised usage of Coartem in routine clinical practice and under program conditions...
- Probing the sequence effects on NarI-induced -2 frameshift mutagenesis by dynamic 19F NMR, UV, and CD spectroscopyNidhi Jain
Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island 02881, USA
Biochemistry 46:13310-21. 2007..We also provide evidence for AF/FAF conformational compatibility in the NarI sequences...
- The pharmacokinetics of artemether and lumefantrine in pregnant women with uncomplicated falciparum malariaRose McGready
Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, P O Box 46, Mae Sot, Tak, Thailand
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 62:1021-31. 2006..To determine the pharmacokinetic properties of artemether and lumefantrine (AL) in pregnant women with recrudescent uncomplicated multi-drug resistant falciparum malaria...
- Health facility and health worker readiness to deliver new national treatment policy for malaria in KenyaJ Njogu
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme, P O Box 43640 00100, Nairobi, Kenya
East Afr Med J 85:213-21. 2008..To evaluate health facility and health worker readiness to deliver new artemether-lumefantrine (AL) treatment policy for uncomplicated malaria in Kenya...
- [Efficacy of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine and artemether-lumefantrine in the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Hainan, China]Shan Qing Wang
Hainan Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Haikou 570203, China
Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi 26:50-2. 2008....
- Efficacy and tolerability of four antimalarial combinations in the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in SenegalBabacar Faye
Laboratoire de Parasitologie Mycologie, Faculte de Medecine, Pharmacie et Odontologie, Universite Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar, Senegal
Malar J 6:80. 2007....
- Translation of artemether-lumefantrine treatment policy into paediatric clinical practice: an early experience from KenyaD Zurovac
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
Trop Med Int Health 13:99-107. 2008..To describe the quality of outpatient paediatric malaria case-management approximately 4-6 months after artemether-lumefantrine (AL) replaced sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine (SP) as the nationally recommended first-line therapy in Kenya...
- Why don't health workers prescribe ACT? A qualitative study of factors affecting the prescription of artemether-lumefantrineBeatrice Wasunna
Eastern and Southern Africa Centre of International Parasite Control ESACIPAC KEMRI, P O Box 54840 00200, Nairobi, Kenya
Malar J 7:29. 2008..New national guidelines on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention were developed and disseminated to health workers together with in-service training...
- MAMMARY CARCINOGENESIS BY N-SUBSTITUTED ARYL COMPOUNDSDanuta Malejka Giganti; Fiscal Year: 2000..3) To determine the capacity of rat mammary microsomes to bioactivate fluorenes by C-9 hydroxylation, to determine the mutagenicity of C9-oxidized fluorenes in Salmonella typhimurium and to ..
- Two-Photon Fluorescence Probe Development for in Vivo Spatial and Temporal AngiogKEVIN BELFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2008..Such a breakthrough will afford a better understanding of disease processes and the mechanism of action of drugs and other species in vivo. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sequence Effects of Arylamine-DNA Adducts: Repair and ReplicationBONGSUP CHO; Fiscal Year: 2008..Such knowledge will also be of help in the development of sensible prevention and risk assessment strategies. ..
- Alkynyliodonium Salts and Derived Diyls in SynthesisKen Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- New Methodology for Indole Alkaloid SynthesesKen S Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The use of a new variant of the Pummerer reaction to control both oxidation level and reaction site within the indole nucleus forms the basis of this chemistry. ..
- Chemical and Biological Studies on Biaryl PhenolicsKen Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2005..The search for selective 20S proteosome inhibitors among the Ntn-type proteases will be advanced by these investigations. ..
- Burden of Malaria in Pregnancy in IndiaDavidson Hamer; Fiscal Year: 2007..The information generated by the study will also be instrumental in the development of new programs for preventing and mitigating the impact of MIP in India. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THE ROLE OF SULFATIDES IN ALZHEIMER'S DISEASEXianlin Han; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF BONE STRENGTH IN MICERobert Klein; Fiscal Year: 2009..Discovery of the genes essential for optimal bone quality would offer tremendous insight into a poorly understood, but critically important component of overall bone strength. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF ANTICANCER AGENTSK C Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Small molecule inhibitors of bacterial secretion systemVincent Lee; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF APOPTOLIDINK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed work is expected to have significant impact in the area of cancer chemotherapy and should provide enabling technologies and tools for biology and medicine. ..
- Deciphering how glycosylation protects peptides from proteolysisMichael Carrasco; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding and using how attaching sugars to peptides protects them from digestion would enable the creation of new classes of powerful peptide pharmaceuticals. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF AZADIRACHTINK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed work is expected to impact the general areas of pharmaceutical and agricultural research, and infectious diseases in particular, through discoveries in synthetic organic chemistry and chemical biology. ..
- PHYSIOLOGICALLY ACTIVE NATURAL PRODUCTSDouglass Taber; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the course of these investigations, new molecular reactivity will be developed that will substantially shorten current routes to polycyclic natural products and drug candidates. ..
- TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF NATURAL PRODUCTSK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2002..3] sigmatropic rearrangement and a radical based ring closure to form the bicyclic skeleton. ..
- Excitatory Amino Acid Release in IschemiaHAROLD KIMELBERG; Fiscal Year: 2005..The second half of the project that deals with neuroprotection has direct potential clinical implications, as TAM is known to be well tolerated in humans being widely used for breast cancer treatment. ..
- Host genes required for P. aeruginosa pathogenesisVincent Lee; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Development of PET radioligands for cerebral cannabinoid receptor (CB1)ANDREW HORTI; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Investigating the Molecular Mechanism of Hexose-induced Stress in Lens and RetinaPeter F Kador; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, these studies should help identify new drug targets for the treatment of these diabetic complications. ..
- Roles of CYP1 & 19 in Fundulus Steroids & PAH MetabolismKristine Willett; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research will further define the utility of Fundulus as a model organism for studying PAH-associated toxicities and in the development of human CYP19 or CYP1 B-related therapeutics. ..
- Prevention of Breast Cancer-Targeting COX-2 & PPARgammaALAA BADAWI; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- REACTIVE INTERMEDIATES OF CARCINOGENESIS OF PAHSKENNETH LAALI; Fiscal Year: 2004..DNA binding and mammalian cell mutagenicity studies on the substituted and derivatized-PAHs proposed for stable ion work will enhance the available literature data on structure/reactivity relationships. ..
- Enabling Technologies for Combinatorial ChemistryK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- IMMUNE RESPONSES TO P FALCIPARUM IN HIGHLAND KENYAChandy John; Fiscal Year: 2002..falciparum antigens to susceptibility to infection and disease is important in the evaluation of these antigens as malaria vaccine candidates. ..
- Carcinogenicity of EstrogensDAVID SPINK; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies may elucidate roles of estrogen in the regulation of Ah responsiveness, CYP1 expression, and carcinogen bioactivation that may lead to novel breast cancer chemoprevention strategies. ..
- Multifunctional Antioxidants as Anti-Cataract AgentsPeter Kador; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Congenital and neonatal malaria in MaliAbdoulaye Djimde; Fiscal Year: 2006..research grant ..
- Host Polymorphisms and Uncomplicated MalariaSunil Parikh; Fiscal Year: 2008..Parikh will be able to utilize modern molecular epidemiology techniques to investigate human genetic factors underlying susceptibility to malaria and he will be well equipped for a career in academic research. ..
- Contribution of ATGL in skeletal muscle to lipid metabolism and insulin actionERIN KERSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2008..Evaluating the role of ATGL-mediated fat breakdown in skeletal muscle will provide important insights into the pathophysiology and treatment of obesity, insulin resistance, and related metabolic disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Study of a New Class of Chiral Nucleophilic CatalystsVLADIMIR BIRMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..