Summary: Drugs whose drug name is not protected by a trademark. They may be manufactured by several companies.
Publications239 found, 100 shown here
- Assessment of prescribing information for generic drugs manufactured in the Middle East and marketed in Saudi ArabiaNicole Gebran
Pharmacy Department, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 26:192-9. 2006..We assessed the quality of written prescribing information for selected generic drugs marketed in Saudi Arabia and manufactured in various countries of the Middle East.
- Compulsory generic switching of antiepileptic drugs: high switchback rates to branded compounds compared with other drug classesFrederick Andermann
Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Epilepsia 48:464-9. 2007....
- A comparative analysis of generics markets in five European countriesL Garattini
Center for Health Economics CESAV, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacolological Research, Ranica, Bergamo, Italy
Health Policy 51:149-62. 2000..Such an environment has stimulate the success of unbranded generics by delegating strong purchasing power to distributors...
- Patients' attitudes towards and experiences of generic drug substitution in NorwayInge Kjoenniksen
Institute for Pharmacy Practice Research, Kalfarveien 31, N-5018, Bergen, Norway
Pharm World Sci 28:284-9. 2006..The lack of correlation between patient experiences and age, gender, and medical regimen complexity is interesting and should be investigated further...
- Is there a relationship between patient beliefs or communication about generic drugs and medication utilization?William H Shrank
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02120, USA
Med Care 47:319-25. 2009..Insurers and policymakers strive to stimulate more cost-effective prescribing and, increasingly, are educating beneficiaries about generics...
- Potential savings from substituting generic drugs for brand-name drugs: medical expenditure panel survey, 1997-2000Jennifer S Haas
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Boston, Massachusetts 02120, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:891-7. 2005..Generic substitution is one mechanism of curtailing prescription drug expenditures. Limited information is available about the potential savings associated with generic substitution...
- Impact of a generic substitution reform on patients' and society's expenditure for pharmaceuticalsKarolina Andersson
Social Medicine, Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, P O Box 453, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Health Policy 81:376-84. 2007..This suggests that generic substitution has contributed to a reduction in the growth of pharmaceutical expenditure...
- Differences in persistence among different weekly oral bisphosphonate medicationsO Sheehy
Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics Research Unit, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, 3850 Saint Urbain, Pavillon Masson, Montreal, QC H2W 1T7, Canada
Osteoporos Int 20:1369-76. 2009..Persistence to weekly oral preparations remains suboptimal, particularly in patients who receive generic alendronate. Alternative solutions are needed to improve the real life effectiveness of osteoporosis therapies...
- Authorized generic drugs, price competition, and consumers' welfareErnst R Berndt
Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:790-9. 2007..We posit that long-run prices and shares are likely essentially unaffected by authorized generics and that potential costs to consumers from any delayed generic entry are likely small...
- The unlicensed lives of antidepressants in India: generic drugs, unqualified practitioners, and floating prescriptionsStefan Ecks
University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Transcult Psychiatry 46:86-106. 2009....
- [Generic drugs instead of brand drugs prescriptions--long overdue]Siri Nelson
Institutt for laboratoriemedisin, barne- og kvinnesykdommer, Det medisinske fakultet, Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet, 7489 Trondheim
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 126:441-3. 2006..INTERPRETATION: Available data suggest that generic prescribing of drugs should be encouraged. Generic prescribing is likely to improve patient safety by assuring that the prescribed drug is in fact what is dispensed...
- Side effects of generic competition?Jörgen Hellström
Department of Economics, Umea University, Sweden
Eur J Health Econ 5:203-8. 2004..Generic substitution laws and measures to increase generic competition may thus have unintended consequences since these results show a positive relationship between generic market shares and reported side effects...
- Brand and generic medications: are they interchangeable?Abdulrazaq S Al-Jazairi
Department of Pharmacy Services, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Saudi Pharmaceutical Industries and Medical Appliances Corporation and the cCollege of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 28:33-41. 2008..Our objective was to review and examine the basis of the controversy surrounding brand and generic interchangeability and to explore a practical approach in pursuing a switch...
- Generic substitution of antihypertensive drugs: does it affect adherence?Boris L G Van Wijk
Department of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacotherapy, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Ann Pharmacother 40:15-20. 2006..However, pharmacists and physicians often find that patients and brand-name manufacturers have doubt about the equivalence of the substituted drug. This may be reflected by decreased adherence to therapy...
- What are the obstacles to generic substitution? An assessment of the behaviour of prescribers, patients and pharmacies during the first year of generic substitution in SwedenKarolina Andersson
Department of Social Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 14:341-8. 2005..The aim of the present study was to investigate obstacles to generic substitution and savings achieved during the first year after Sweden introduced generic substitution in October 2002...
- Comparative in vitro study of oesophageal adhesiveness of different commercial formulations containing alendronateMonjed Shakweh
Laboratoire de Physicochimie, Pharmacotechnie et Biopharmacie, UMR CNRS 8612, Universite Paris Sud, Chatenay Malabry, France
Eur J Pharm Sci 31:262-70. 2007..The demonstrated differences in adhesiveness suggest that differences in oesophageal tolerance between Fosamax tablets and generics of sodium alendronate may exist...
- Esophageal transit and in vivo disintegration of branded risedronate sodium tablets and two generic formulations of alendronic acid tablets: a single-center, single-blind, six-period crossover study in healthy female subjectsAlan C Perkins
Academic Medical Physics and Wolfson Digestive Diseases Centre, University Hospital, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Clin Ther 30:834-44. 2008....
- Incidence of postoperative infections in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting surgery receiving antimicrobial prophylaxis with original and generic cefuroximeEkaterini Mastoraki
Department of Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, 356 Sygrou Ave, 17674 Athens, Greece
J Infect 56:35-9. 2008....
- Position statement on the coverage of anticonvulsant drugs for the treatment of epilepsyK Liow
Via Christi Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita, Wichita, KS 67214-3800, USA
Neurology 68:1249-50. 2007
- Therapeutic equivalency of generic antiepileptic drugs: results of a surveyAndrew N Wilner
Suite 317, Americas Building, Newport, RI 02840, USA
Epilepsy Behav 5:995-8. 2004..Fifty-two (18.4%) neurologists agreed that the Food and Drug Administration standards for AED bioavailability are sufficiently narrow; 231 (81.6%) did not...
- Are all aciclovir cream formulations bioequivalent?L Trottet
GlaxoSmithKline, Weybridge, Surrey, UK
Int J Pharm 304:63-71. 2005..Given the magnitude of the differences seen, there is concern over therapeutic inequivalence of generic ACV creams to the innovator cream...
- European healthcare policies for controlling drug expenditureSilvia M Ess
Hirslanden Research, Zurich, Switzerland
Pharmacoeconomics 21:89-103. 2003..To control costs, the use of generic drugs is encouraged in most countries, but only few countries allow pharmacists to substitute generic drugs for ..
- What's the problem with generic antiepileptic drugs?: a call to actionMichel J Berg
Neurology 68:1245-6. 2007
- Generic substitution in the treatment of epilepsy: patient and physician perceptionsMichel J Berg
Department of Neurology, University of Rochester Medical Center and Strong Epilepsy Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Epilepsy Behav 13:693-9. 2008..Additional investigation on bioequivalence may help address ongoing concerns and inform policy-making decisions...
- Antiepileptic drugs: generic versus branded treatmentsDominic C Heaney
Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy, UCL Institute of Neurology and National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK
Lancet Neurol 6:465-8. 2007..mean that substantial drug-budget savings may be possible by switching from innovator brands to cheaper generic drugs. Such savings have been achieved in many other treatment areas...
- Clinical consequences of generic substitution of lamotrigine for patients with epilepsyJ LeLorier
Centre de Recherche, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Neurology 70:2179-86. 2008....
- Generic warfarin: implications for clinical practice and perceptions of anticoagulation providersRachel A Bongiorno
University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Semin Thromb Hemost 30:619-26. 2004..These perceptions may change over time as additional data showing comparative therapeutic outcomes between generic and brand name formulations are published...
- Incentives and pharmaceutical reimbursement reforms in SpainJaume Puig-Junoy
Research Centre for Health and Economics CRES, Department of Economics and Business, Pompeu Fabra University, C Trias Fargas 25 27, 34 08005 Barcelona, Spain
Health Policy 67:149-65. 2004..In the final section of this paper, we present an overall assessment of the impact of these pharmaceutical reimbursement policies on the behaviour of the agents in the pharmaceutical market...
- Should newly diagnosed epilepsy be treated with generics?Peter Wolf
Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen and at the Danish Epilepsy Centre, Dianalund, Denmark
Nat Clin Pract Neurol 4:176-7. 2008
- In vitro potency evaluations of various piperacillin/tazobactam generic products compared with the contemporary branded (Zosyn, Wyeth) formulationRonald N Jones
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 61:76-9. 2008..The average -16% activity across all generic lots was equivalent to underdosing piperacillin/tazobactam by 2.6 g daily for serious clinical infections (4.5 g Q6 h)...
- [Partial reimbursement of prescription charges for generic drugs reduces costs for both health insurance and patients]Ghazaleh Gouya
Universitätsklinik für Klinische Pharmakologie, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wien, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 120:89-95. 2008..In collaboration with a company health insurance with 3143 members we analysed the economic benefit of reduced prescription fees for generic drugs in a 12-month period.
- Multiple validated measures of adherence indicate high levels of adherence to generic HIV antiretroviral therapy in a resource-limited settingJessica H Oyugi
Epidemiology and Prevention Interventions Center and San Francisco General Hospital AIDS Program, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:1100-2. 2004..The relative ease of administration of the 30-day visual analog scale suggests that this may be the preferred method to assess adherence in resource-poor settings...
- Opinion and behaviour of pharmacists towards the substitution of branded drugs by generic drugs: survey of 1,000 French community pharmacistsBenoit Allenet
Clinical Pharmacy Department, Grenoble School of Pharmacy, France Pavillon Moidieu, CHU de Grenoble, 38700 La Tronche, France
Pharm World Sci 25:197-202. 2003In 1999, a new law was introduced, giving French pharmacists the right to switch from branded to generic drugs, unless the prescriber had specified that substitution was not permitted...
- Global health and university patentsAmy Kapczynski
Science 301:1629. 2003
- Economic consequences of underuse of generic drugs: evidence from Medicaid and implications for prescription drug benefit plansMichael A Fischer
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Health Serv Res 38:1051-63. 2003..for generic versions of the same agent, to estimate the level of unrealized savings from use of substitutable generic drugs. We also examined whether variation in prices between states represented a potential source of unrealized ..
- The economic consequences of generic substitution for antiepileptic drugs in a public payer setting: the case of lamotrigineMei Sheng Duh
Analysis Group, Inc, Boston, Massachusetts 02199, USA
Dis Manag 10:216-25. 2007..Payers may weigh smaller-than-expected cost reductions against a possible decrease in effectiveness to assess the relevance of mandatory generic switching of lamotrigine...
- [The clinical and economic impact of generic drugs in the treatment of epilepsy]A Argumosa
Department of Neuropediatrics, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, University of Cantrabria, , E-39008 Santander, Cantabria, Spain
Rev Neurol 41:45-9. 2005....
- The bioequivalence and therapeutic efficacy of generic versus brand-name psychoactive drugsGiuseppe Borgheini
Neurological and Psychiatric Department, University of Padua, and Casa di Cura Parco dei Tigli, Padua, Italy
Clin Ther 25:1578-92. 2003..However, bioequivalence and therapeutic effectiveness are not necessarily the same...
- The ongoing regulation of generic drugsRichard G Frank
Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 357:1993-6. 2007
- Patient and physician reactions to generic antiepileptic substitution in the treatment of epilepsyLisa S Haskins
Harris Interactive Health Care Division, Rochester, NY, USA
Epilepsy Behav 7:98-105. 2005..Further evidence is required to understand how costs and effects of generic AED substitution affect patient welfare...
- Impact of the Minimum Pricing Policy and introduction of brand (generic) substitution into the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in AustraliaP McManus
Drug Utilisation Sub Committee MDP 83, Department of Health and Aged Care, GPO Box 9848, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 10:295-300. 2001....
- Progress in methodologies for evaluating bioequivalence of topical formulationsV P Shah
Office of Pharmaceutical Science, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Am J Clin Dermatol 2:275-80. 2001..However, confidence in this methodology needs to be established, particularly regarding its relevance to clinical drug efficacy...
- Experience with generic drugs in epilepsy patients: an electronic survey of members of the German, Austrian and Swiss branches of the ILAEGunter Kramer
Epilepsia 48:609-11. 2007
- Pharmacokinetic comparison of generic and trade formulations of lamivudine, stavudine and nevirapine in HIV-infected Malawian adultsMina C Hosseinipour
University of North Carolina Project, Lilongwe Malawi
AIDS 21:59-64. 2007..The Malawian antiretroviral program uses generic Triomune (stavudine, lamivudine, and nevirapine)...
- Economics and structure of the generic pharmaceutical industryD M Kirking
Department of Social and Administrative Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 1065, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 41:578-84. 2001..To review key economic trends of the generic medication market and analyze the changing structure of the generic medication industry...
- Potential therapeutic failure of generic vancomycin in a liver transplant patient with MRSA peritonitis and bacteremiaCarlos A Rodriguez
GRIPE Grupo Investigador de Problemas en Enfermedades Infecciosas, University of Antioquia Medical School, Medellin, Colombia
J Infect 59:277-80. 2009..It raises concern about therapeutic equivalence of generic vancomycin...
- Consumer perceptions of risk and required cost savings for generic prescription drugsJ M Ganther
Sonderegger Research Center, School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 40:378-83. 2000....
- Determination of therapeutic equivalence of generic products of gentamicin in the neutropenic mouse thigh infection modelAndres F Zuluaga
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Antioquia Medical School, Medellin, Colombia
PLoS ONE 5:e10744. 2010..Recent reports of deaths associated with generic heparin and metoprolol have raised concerns about the efficacy and safety of DRA-approved drugs...
- Examining the production costs of antiretroviral drugsEloan Pinheiro
Department of HIV/AIDS, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
AIDS 20:1745-52. 2006..The ability to achieve price reductions in line with production costs will have critical implications for sustainable treatment for HIV/AIDS in the developing world...
- The impact of generic-only drug benefits on patients' use of inhaled corticosteroids in a Medicare population with asthmaVicki Fung
Center for Health Policy Studies, Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Oakland, California, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 8:151. 2008..We examined changes in ICS use following the introduction of generic-only coverage in a Medicare Advantage population from 2003-2004...
- Generic substitution: issues for problematic drugsJ D Henderson
Department of Physician Assistant Studies, College of Allied Health Professions, University of South Alabama College of Medicine, Mobile, USA
South Med J 94:16-21. 2001..Yet, misinformation and myths persist regarding the adequacy and proven reliability of the FDA's determination of bioequivalence for these products...
- Issues in the use of generic antiarrhythmic drugsJ A Reiffel
Cardiology Division, Department of Medicine, Columbia University, College of Physician and Surgeons and The Arrhythmia Service, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center Campus, The New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York, USA
Curr Opin Cardiol 16:23-9. 2001..Additionally, guidelines for allowance or avoidance of antiarrhythmic drug formulation substitution are suggested...
- [How do practitioners evaluate the newly introduced system of substituting prescriptions?]S L Rubak
Aarhus Universitet, Institut for Almen Medicin
Ugeskr Laeger 162:6070-3. 2000..The purpose of this study was to obtain the GPs' views on the system and evaluate the problems related to the system...
- Attitudes of Slovene general practitioners towards generic drug prescribing and comparison with international studiesJ Kersnik
Department of Family Medicine, Medical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Clin Pharm Ther 31:577-83. 2006..Substitution of branded products by generic equivalents can offer savings. General practitioners (GPs) are often concerned about the quality of generic products and possible legal liabilities associated with their use...
- Recommendations of the Italian League against Epilepsy working group on generic products of antiepileptic drugsEmilio Perucca
Clinical Pharmacology Unit and Institute of Neurology IRCCS C Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Epilepsia 47:16-20. 2006....
- In vitro disintegration studies of weekly generic alendronate sodium tablets (70 mg) available in the USRichard J Dansereau
Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Mason, OH, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 25:449-52. 2009....
- Patient perception of generic antiepileptic drugs in the Midwestern United StatesTania Beltran Papsdorf
University of Kansas School of Medicine Wichita, Wichita, KS 67214 3199, USA
Epilepsy Behav 14:150-3. 2009..The goal of the study described here was to understand patients' experiences with generic AEDs in the Midwestern United States...
- A physician survey on generic drugs and substitution of critical dose medicationsB F Banahan
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Mississippi, USA
Arch Intern Med 157:2080-8. 1997..the Food and Drug Administration standards for bioequivalency, especially with respect to narrow therapeutic index drugs, the awareness and attitudes of prescribing physicians to generic drugs and generic substitution are important.
- Generic substitution in the treatment of epilepsy: case evidence of breakthrough seizuresM J Berg
Strong Epilepsy Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642 8673, USA
Neurology 71:525-30. 2008..There are concerns that generic and brand antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) may not be therapeutically equivalent. This study investigated how generic AED substitution may have negative consequences...
- Prescribing indicators and their use by primary care groups to influence prescribingM Ashworth
GKT Department of General Practice and Primary Care, King s College London, Lambeth Walk, London, UK
J Clin Pharm Ther 27:197-204. 2002....
- Drug product selection: legal issuesT P Christensen
College of Pharmacy, North Dakota State University, Fargo 58105, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 41:868-74. 2001..To review the potential legal liability of the pharmacist in the drug product selection process...
- Brand versus generic alendronate: gastrointestinal effects measured by resource utilizationHillel Halkin
Chairman, Formulary Committee, Maccabi Healthcare Services, Tel Aviv, Israel Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University
Ann Pharmacother 41:29-34. 2007..Adverse reactions related to the upper gastrointestinal tract (UGIT) that are associated with generic alendronate formulations may differ from those associated with the brand drug...
- Determinants of prescribing costs amongst single-handed general practitionersP S Gill
Department of Primary Care and General Practice, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
J Clin Pharm Ther 26:433-5. 2001..To investigate the contribution of patient and doctor characteristics in explaining observed variations in prescribing costs between individual doctors...
- Strategies for acquiring affordable medications for seniorsKathy J Morris
Council Bluffs Community Health Center, 300 West Broadway, Suite 6, Council Bluffs, IA, 51503, USA
Nurs Clin North Am 40:51-62, vi. 2005..Some community healthcenters offer access to prescriptions at decreased costs through fed-eral programs. This article explores the various options availableto senior citizens so that nurses may act as advocates for thesepatients...
- In that case: a pharmaceutical company that makes generic versions of commonly used drugs has produced a generic of a proprietary drug widely prescribed in a particular service. ResponseShayne Grice
University of Otago, New Zealand
N Z Bioeth J 4:22-4. 2003
- [The war on generic drugs]J Sternon
Rev Med Brux 27:420-1. 2006
- Generic products of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs): is it an issue?Meir Bialer
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy and David R Bloom Center for Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
Epilepsia 48:1825-32. 2007....
- In that case: a pharmaceutical company that makes generic versions of commonly used drugs has produced a generic of a proprietary drug widely prescribed in a particular service. ResponseDavid Woolner
MSD, New Zealand
N Z Bioeth J 4:22, 25-6. 2003
- Reference pricing of pharmaceuticals for Medicare: evidence from Germany, The Netherlands, and New ZealandPatricia M Danzon
University of Pennsylvania, USA
Front Health Policy Res 7:1-54. 2004..S. generic market, and on research and development (R&D) and the future supply of new drugs, because of the much larger U.S. share of global pharmaceutical sales...
- Nondialysis (home) medication utilization and cost in diabetic and nondiabetic hemodialysis patientsHarold J Manley
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Pharmacy, USA
Nephrol News Issues 19:27-8, 33-4, 36-8. 2005..Health care providers should be aware of the medication cost burden in HD patients. Efforts to decrease this burden, whether through pharmaceutical care, generic prescribing, or sampling programs, should be considered...
- Impact of 3-tier formularies on drug treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in childrenHaiden A Huskamp
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, 180 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:435-41. 2005..Many employers and health plans have adopted 3-tier formularies in an attempt to control costs for these and other drugs...
- Comparison of annual cost between brand and generic ocular beta-adrenergic blockersHiroaki Ikeda
Department of Pharmaceutical Services, Hiroshima University Hospital, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 0001, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 125:463-7. 2005..The annual cost depended on not only the price of the products but also on the total number of drops in one bottle and the usage. Annual cost data may be helpful in selecting ophthalmic products for treating glaucoma in Japan...
- Follow-on biologics: competition in the biopharmaceutical marketplaceJoshua W Devine
Social and Administrative Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 46:193-201; quiz 202-4. 2006..To describe the implications of a follow-on biologic approval process with focus on current stakeholders, implications of the status quo, and recommendations for future policy...
- Generic drugs: an overviewDave Helgeland
Pharmacy Administration, South Dakota State University College of Pharmacy, USA
S D Med 59:161-3. 2006
- [Generic drugs in the treatment of epilepsy]J Gonzalez de Dios
Departamento de Pediatria, Hospital Universitario San Juan, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, San Juan, Alicante, Spain
Rev Neurol 41:676-83. 2005We discuss some controversial aspects with prescription of generic drugs (GD) and the problems concerning bioequivalence, mainly in the case of drugs with non-linear pharmacokinetics and/or narrow therapeutic rank, like the antiepileptic ..
- The impact of generic substitution on price competition in FinlandVille Aalto-Setälä
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Helsinki, P O Box 56, 00014, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Health Econ 9:185-91. 2008..The most important factors that influenced the price development were the number of competitors, whether the drug was originator or generic and the width of the price band...
- Prices, profits, and innovation: examining criticisms of new psychotropic drugs' valueHaiden A Huskamp
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:635-46. 2006....
- [Now no new drugs will be developed!]Pierre Lafolie
Klinisk farmakologi, Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset Solna
Lakartidningen 103:225. 2006
- Product-line extensions and pricing strategies of brand-name drugs facing patent expirationSong Hee Hong
Division of Pharmaceutical Evaluation and Policy, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 11:746-54. 2005..price rigidity of patent-expired brand-name prescription drugs despite the increase in market entry of generic drugs facilitated by the 1984 Drug Price Competition and Patent Term Restoration Act...
- Generics market in Greece: the pharmaceutical industry's beliefsMary Geitona
Department of Economics, University of Thessaly, 43 Korai Str, Volos 38 221, Greece
Health Policy 79:35-48. 2006..Finally, the respondents expressed their preference for the introduction of pharmacoeconomic submissions for drugs' reimbursement by social insurance funds...
- PHARMAC responds to Stewart Mann on dihydropyridine calcium channel antagonistsAndrew Davies
N Z Med J 118:U1621. 2005
- Drug importation and safety of drugs obtained from CanadaMarv Shepherd
Center for Pharmacoeconomic Studies, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Ann Pharmacother 41:1288-91. 2007..The US needs to become innovative and seek solutions that will provide effective, safe, and economical pharmaceuticals without placing a burden on other countries and without damaging the pharmaceutical research...
- Pharmaceutical promotion and GP prescription behaviourFrank Windmeijer
Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies, London, UK
Health Econ 15:5-18. 2006..We conclude that GP drug price sensitivity is small, but adversely affected by promotion. Ltd...
- Economic aspects of the new Spanish laws on pharmaceutical preparationsFernando Antonanzas
Department of Economics and Business Administration, Universidad de La Rioja, C La Cigüena 60, 26004, Logrono, Spain
Eur J Health Econ 8:297-300. 2007..We review information on pricing, reference pricing, promotion of generic drugs, public reimbursement, patients' contributions, and penalties...
- Increasing generic drug use in Medicare Part D: the role of governmentHerb Kohl
United States Senator from Wisconsin, Majority Leader, U.S. Senate Special Committee on Aging, 2nd and C St, NE, 330 Hart Senate Office Building, United States Senate, Washington, DC 20510, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:1106-9. 2007
- [Original or generic?]Iván György Magyar
Neuropsychopharmacol Hung 7:167-8. 2005
- Managing prescription drug costsJ M Sica
Aon Consulting, Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, USA
Empl Benefits J 26:35-40. 2001..The author also discusses pharmacy benefit managers, as well as various utilization management strategies like benefit plan design and the use of formularies...
- Getting serious about genericsMartin Sipkoff
Manag Care 12:36-9. 2003
- Do pharmaceutical prices respond to potential patient out-of-pocket expenses?Nina Pavenik
Dartmouth College, USA
Rand J Econ 33:469-87. 2002..Price declines are most pronounced for brand-name products. Moreover, branded products that face more generic competitors reduce prices more...
- The high price of prescription drugs and its impact on the elderlyAmanda McCloskey
Families USA, 1334 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005, USA
Care Manag J 3:143-53. 2002
- Lowering the cost of prescription drugsBobby Jindal
US Department of Health and Human Services, USA
J La State Med Soc 155:51. 2003
- Impact of health plan design and management on retirees' prescription drug use and spending, 2001Cindy Parks Thomas
Schneider Institute for Health Policy, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) . 2002..Although we did not find lower rates of use in plans with aggressive cost sharing, this may be attributable in part to their higher drug use associated with mail-order incentives...
- AWP reimbursement scrutinized by several statesJohn Carroll
Manag Care 12:11-2. 2003
- Reference pricing for drugs: is it compatible with U.S. health care?Panos Kanavos
Harvard Medical School, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 22:16-30. 2003..This paper explores the difficult trade-offs that policymakers must make in designing such a system, drawing where relevant from experience abroad...
- Good science and the marketplace for drugs: a conversation with Jean-Pierre Garnier. Interview by John K. IglehartJean-Pierre Garnier
Health Aff (Millwood) 22:119-27. 2003
- Financial consequences of drug benefit plansBrenda Motheral
JAMA 289:423-4; author reply 424. 2003
- Financial consequences of drug benefit plansJohn Hsu
JAMA 289:423; author reply 424. 2003
- [Generics: essentially similar, bioequivalent but not identical]D Even-Adin
Hopital Erasme, U L B
Rev Med Brux 22:513-20. 2001..However, in term of economy, in the drug market, development of GF appears to constitute an unavoidable phenomenon...
- The economics of prescription drug prices, government intervention, and the importation of drugs from CanadaMatthew S Openshaw
Public Policy and Political Economy, University of Texas at Dallas, Dallas, TX, USA
Nurs Econ 23:307-11, 279. 2005..What effects would this have on consumer prices, drug companies' incentives, and the development of new medications?..
- The impact of drug samples on prescribing to the uninsuredDavid P Miller
Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1051, USA
South Med J 101:888-93. 2008..To determine whether drug samples are associated with physicians prescribing fewer generic, less costly medications...
- Employer drug benefit plans and spending on prescription drugsGeoffrey F Joyce
RAND Health, 1700 Main St, Santa Monica, CA 90407 2138, USA
JAMA 288:1733-9. 2002..It is unknown how these initiatives affect drug costs...
Research Grants110 found, 100 shown here
- Periventricular White Matter Injury PreventionScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2010..avoid the high costs and the lengthy time frame associated with new drug development in applying FDA-approved, generic drugs for novel clinical applications...
- Designing drugs that suppress chronic brain inflammationDAVID VIA; Fiscal Year: 2005..Since the ultimate goal of therapeutic strategies for AD is to protect neurons, we screened a variety of generic drugs for neuroprotective effect using cell culture and animals models of AD immune pathology...
- An intervention to improve rational prescribing in cardiovascular diseaseWilliam Shrank; Fiscal Year: 2007..End of Abstract) ..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- Effects of Mental Parity on High-Cost and Severely-Ill IndividualsHaiden A Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will estimate a combination of two-part random-effects models for longitudinal data, latent class random-effects models, logistic regression models, Poisson regression models, and hazard models to address these aims. ..
- Effects of Mental Parity on High-Cost and Severely-Ill IndividualsHaiden Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will estimate a combination of two-part random-effects models for longitudinal data, latent class random-effects models, logistic regression models, Poisson regression models, and hazard models to address these aims. ..
- Economics of Formulary Design and Mental Health PolicyHaiden Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2006..Huskamp the training, mentoring, time and resources to develop the skills that will put her in a position to lead independent research on the economics of pharmaceutical treatment for mental illnesses. ..
- Medicare Part D Plan Generosity & Dual-Eligible Nursing Home ResidentsHaiden A Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Effects of Mental Parity on High-Cost and Severely-Ill IndividualsHaiden A Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2011..We will estimate a combination of two-part random-effects models for longitudinal data, latent class random-effects models, logistic regression models, Poisson regression models, and hazard models to address these aims. ..
- Medicare Part D Plan Generosity & Dual-Eligible Nursing Home ResidentsHaiden Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Monoclonal Antibodies in Cancer Care: Is Underinsurance An Access Barrier?YA CHEN SHIH; Fiscal Year: 2009..This information will help project the future costs of cancer. Findings from this study will also alert policymakers to the subgroups of patients who may not benefit from innovative agents such as mAbs due to access barriers. ..
- Clinical Implications of Variation Among Medicare FormulariesChien Wen Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Seniors' health literacy, beliefs and asthma self-managementAlex Federman; Fiscal Year: 2009..The study findings will expand our understanding of health literacy and provide new insights into best methods for educating older asthmatics about managing their disease. ..
- BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH TRAINING IN DRUG ABUSETHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Economic Evaluations of Emerging Genomic Tests for Early Stage Breast CancerYA CHEN SHIH; Fiscal Year: 2007..To estimate the budgetary impact of the emerging pharmacogenomic prognostic and/or predictive tests ..
- Molecular Genetics of Inattention in AustraliaTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2009..This will be at a marked cost savings due to the employment of existing well-characterized samples and the long history of collaborative studies between investigators from Australia and the United States. ..
- Advanced Training in Health Service ResearchPatricia Danzon; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH TRAINING IN DRUG ABUSETHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- OPIATE ENDOCRINE INTERACTIONS--DEVELOPMENTAL ASPECTSTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed animal studies could establish whether gender differences exist and if these differences are based on inherent, first-order biological differences between the sexes. ..
- OPIATE-ENDOCRINE INTERACTIONS; DEVELOPMENTAL ASPECTSTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 1992
- Reducing Cost-Related Medication Nonadherence in Persons with DiabetesChien Wen Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2010..If shown to be successful, the Prescribing Guide is practical and low-cost, and could easily be translated to other states, giving it tremendous potential to improve health nationwide. ..
- OPIATE-ENDOCRINE INTERACTIONS--DEVELOPMENTAL ASPECTSTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- Seniors' health literacy, beliefs and asthma self-managementAlex D Federman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study findings will expand our understanding of health literacy and provide new insights into best methods for educating older asthmatics about managing their disease. ..
- Electronic Research Submission at Washington UnivTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, this infrastructure will make it possible for all compliance committees to share data to ensure the highest level of human subject protection. ..
- Monoclonal Antibodies in Cancer Care: Is Underinsurance An Access Barrier?Ya Chen Tina Shih; Fiscal Year: 2010..This information will help project the future costs of cancer. Findings from this study will also alert policymakers to the subgroups of patients who may not benefit from innovative agents such as mAbs due to access barriers. ..
- Specialty Mental Health Care--Expanding Access in an HMODominic Hodgkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results will inform health plan decision-makers and others as they make utilization management choices that may have a major impact on patients and enrollee populations overall. ..
- Provision of Alcohol Services in Private Health PlansConstance Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2009..s. ..
- Pharmacological Optimization of Poly-Drug Therapy in Traumatic Brain InjuryMichael R Hoane; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will help to identify combinations of drugs that could be used to prevent the long-term effects. ..
- Provision of Alcohol Services in Private Health PlansConstance M Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2010..This competitive renewal for Round 3 of our survey will provide a current picture of the complex and changing organization of behavioral health services in private health plans, which cover the majority of people under 65 in the U.S. ..
- Substrate requirements of the bile acid transporterJAMES POLLI; Fiscal Year: 2009..This systematic and progressive approach will serve as a prototypical method to elucidate the substrate requirements of other solute carrier (SLC) proteins. ..
- Provision of Drug Abuse Treatment Services Under ParityConstance M Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2010..s. ..
- High Purity Amphotericin B: A Safer Antimycotic in AIDSJohn Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Alcohol Treatment Under Managed Care Plans: Role of HMOsConstance Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study will provide systematic information on the nature and extent of HMO changes, and their impact on alcohol service delivery, during this time period. ..
- DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT UNDER MANAGED CARE--ROLE OF PPOSConstance Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study will provide systematic information on the nature and extent of these changes. ..
- Substrate requirements of the bile acid transporterJAMES POLLI; Fiscal Year: 2007..This systematic and progressive approach will serve as a prototypical method to elucidate the substrate requirements of other solute carrier (SLC) proteins. ..
- Doctoral Training/Health Services Research on AlcoholConstance Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2007..This unique approach to doctoral training has already established the Heller NIAAA Doctoral Training Program a success, as evidenced by the progress and commitment of the current and former trainees. ..
- Concurrent HAART and Tuberculosis Treatment: Drug to Drug InteractionsAwewura Kwara; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Access to Care: Children with Special Health Care NeedsAlex Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Phase II is the development of an access-to-care survey instrument and limited-scope primary data collection to further examines factors impacting access to care for CSHCN. ..
- Effective Care Management of Depressed Diabetes PatientsJohn Piette; Fiscal Year: 2007..The evaluation has been structured based on the RE-AIM framework for effectiveness trials. ..
- Epileptogenicity in the Developing BrainRaman Sankar; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our findings will provide the basis for future neuroprotective interventions targeting the developing brain at different stages of status epilepticus in order to interrupt the course of the epileptogenic process. ..
- Pharmacogenomics/natural products + antifungal activityJohn Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2004..Probing this array with eukaryotic mRNA from cells exposed to novel antifungals would predict common mechanism of action and likelihood of toxicity, activity and resistance. ..
- Impact of 3 Tier Drug Copays on Use and SpendingDominic Hodgkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..