Summary: Drugs whose drug name is not protected by a trademark. They may be manufactured by several companies.
Publications249 found, 100 shown here
- A comparative analysis of generics markets in five European countriesL Garattini
Center for Health Economics CESAV, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacolological Research, Ranica, Bergamo, Italy
Health Policy 51:149-62. 2000..Such an environment has stimulate the success of unbranded generics by delegating strong purchasing power to distributors...
- Assessment of prescribing information for generic drugs manufactured in the Middle East and marketed in Saudi ArabiaNicole Gebran
Pharmacy Department, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 26:192-9. 2006..We assessed the quality of written prescribing information for selected generic drugs marketed in Saudi Arabia and manufactured in various countries of the Middle East.
- Patients' attitudes towards and experiences of generic drug substitution in NorwayInge Kjoenniksen
Institute for Pharmacy Practice Research, Kalfarveien 31, N 5018, Bergen, Norway
Pharm World Sci 28:284-9. 2006..The aim of the study was to assess patients' attitudes towards and experiences of generic substitution 3 years after generic substitution of prescription medicines was permitted in Norway...
- Potential savings from substituting generic drugs for brand-name drugs: medical expenditure panel survey, 1997-2000Jennifer S Haas
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Boston, Massachusetts 02120, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:891-7. 2005..Generic substitution is one mechanism of curtailing prescription drug expenditures. Limited information is available about the potential savings associated with generic substitution...
- Is there a relationship between patient beliefs or communication about generic drugs and medication utilization?William H Shrank
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02120, USA
Med Care 47:319-25. 2009..Insurers and policymakers strive to stimulate more cost-effective prescribing and, increasingly, are educating beneficiaries about generics...
- Examining the production costs of antiretroviral drugsEloan Pinheiro
Department of HIV AIDS, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
AIDS 20:1745-52. 2006....
- Brand versus generic alendronate: gastrointestinal effects measured by resource utilizationHillel Halkin
Chairman, Formulary Committee, Maccabi Healthcare Services, Tel Aviv, Israel Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University
Ann Pharmacother 41:29-34. 2007..Adverse reactions related to the upper gastrointestinal tract (UGIT) that are associated with generic alendronate formulations may differ from those associated with the brand drug...
- Differences in persistence among different weekly oral bisphosphonate medicationsO Sheehy
Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics Research Unit, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, 3850 Saint Urbain, Pavillon Masson, Montreal, QC H2W 1T7, Canada
Osteoporos Int 20:1369-76. 2009..Persistence to weekly oral preparations remains suboptimal, particularly in patients who receive generic alendronate. Alternative solutions are needed to improve the real life effectiveness of osteoporosis therapies...
- The ongoing regulation of generic drugsRichard G Frank
Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 357:1993-6. 2007
- [Availability of generic drugs in the public sector and prices in the private sector in different regions of Brazil]Elaine Silva Miranda
Escola Nacional de Saude Publica Sergio Arouca, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 25:2147-58. 2009..It is estimated that price competition is occurring among bioequivalent generic drugs and between them and multisource products for the same substance, but not with reference brands.
- [Beer-Fick criteria and generic drugs in Brazil]Milton Luiz Gorzoni
Departamento de Clinica Medica, disciplina de Gerontologia, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Santa Casa de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP
Rev Assoc Med Bras 54:353-6. 2008..Determine, according to the Beer-Fick criteria, the prevalence of drugs potentially inappropriate for the elderly available as generic medication in Brazil...
- Pharmaceutical policy regarding generic drugs in BelgiumSteven Simoens
Centre for Drug and Patient Information, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Pharmacoeconomics 23:755-66. 2005..However, in Belgium, the market for generic drugs is underdeveloped compared with other countries...
- Multiple functions of generic drugs: future perspectives of aureolic acid group of anti-cancer antibiotics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugsHirak Chakraborty
Chemical Sciences Division and Biophysics Division, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Bidhannagar, Kolkata, India
Mini Rev Med Chem 8:331-49. 2008Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and aureolic acid group of anti-cancer drugs belong to the class of generic drugs. Research with some members of these two groups of drugs in different laboratories has unveiled functions other than ..
- Beliefs about generic drugs among elderly adults in hospital-based primary care practicesAlice Iosifescu
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Patient Educ Couns 73:377-83. 2008This study aimed to characterize seniors' beliefs about generic drugs, and examine potential correlates of these beliefs, including socioeconomic and health status variables, health literacy, and physician communication skills.
- Extensions of intellectual property rights and delayed adoption of generic drugs: effects on medicaid spendingAaron S Kesselheim
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, in Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:1637-47. 2006..amoxicillin/clavulanate, metformin, and omeprazole, we calculated the savings that could have been realized if generic drugs had been available and fully substituted at their lowest cost when IP protection first expired (an average ..
- Financial incentives and physicians' prescription decisions on the choice between brand-name and generic drugs: evidence from TaiwanYa Ming Liu
Department of Economics, College of Social Sciences, National Cheng Kung University, 1 University Road, Tainan 70101, Taiwan
J Health Econ 28:341-9. 2009..As a result, the providers instead of the payers or consumers reap the financial benefits of generic substitution...
- The unlicensed lives of antidepressants in India: generic drugs, unqualified practitioners, and floating prescriptionsStefan Ecks
University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Transcult Psychiatry 46:86-106. 2009....
- Authorized generic drugs, price competition, and consumers' welfareErnst R Berndt
Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:790-9. 2007..We posit that long-run prices and shares are likely essentially unaffected by authorized generics and that potential costs to consumers from any delayed generic entry are likely small...
- Side effects of generic competition?Jörgen Hellström
Department of Economics, Umea University, Sweden
Eur J Health Econ 5:203-8. 2004..Generic substitution laws and measures to increase generic competition may thus have unintended consequences since these results show a positive relationship between generic market shares and reported side effects...
- [Generic drugs instead of brand drugs prescriptions--long overdue]Siri Nelson
Institutt for laboratoriemedisin, barne og kvinnesykdommer, Det medisinske fakultet, Norges Teknisk Naturvitenskapelige Universitet, 7489 Trondheim
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 126:441-3. 2006..The present paper gives an overview over current practice in different countries and discusses advantages and drawbacks...
- Current approaches to the use of generic antiepileptic drugsG Kramer
Swiss Epilepsy Center, Bleulerstrasse 60, Ch 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Epilepsy Behav 11:46-52. 2007..Both physicians and patients have a right to be informed and approve before pharmacists make a generic substitution or switch between generics...
- Bioavailability and bioequivalence: an FDA regulatory overviewM L Chen
Office of Pharmaceutical Science, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, Maryland 20857, USA
Pharm Res 18:1645-50. 2001....
- Impact of a generic substitution reform on patients' and society's expenditure for pharmaceuticalsKarolina Andersson
Social Medicine, Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, P O Box 453, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Health Policy 81:376-84. 2007..This suggests that generic substitution has contributed to a reduction in the growth of pharmaceutical expenditure...
- Potential savings from increased use of generic drugs in the elderly: what the experience of Medicaid and other insurance programs means for a Medicare drug benefitMichael A Fischer
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 13:207-14. 2004..Generic medications provide the same clinical effect at lower cost than brand name drugs but little is known about the extent to which such savings are achieved in drug benefit programs serving the elderly...
- Prescribing indicators and their use by primary care groups to influence prescribingM Ashworth
GKT Department of General Practice and Primary Care, King s College London, Lambeth Walk, London, UK
J Clin Pharm Ther 27:197-204. 2002....
- [The clinical and economic impact of generic drugs in the treatment of epilepsy]A Argumosa
Department of Neuropediatrics, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, University of Cantrabria, Avenida Valdecilla s n, E 39008 Santander, Cantabria, Spain
Rev Neurol 41:45-9. 2005..The aim of this study was to determine whether the introduction of generic formulations of antiepileptic drugs (AED) would lead to an economic saving for the public health service...
- Position statement on the coverage of anticonvulsant drugs for the treatment of epilepsyK Liow
Via Christi Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, University of Kansas School of Medicine Wichita, Wichita, KS 67214 3800, USA
Neurology 68:1249-50. 2007
- Patient perception of generic antiepileptic drugs in the Midwestern United StatesTania Beltran Papsdorf
University of Kansas School of Medicine Wichita, Wichita, KS 67214 3199, USA
Epilepsy Behav 14:150-3. 2009..The goal of the study described here was to understand patients' experiences with generic AEDs in the Midwestern United States...
- A physician survey on generic drugs and substitution of critical dose medicationsB F Banahan
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Mississippi, USA
Arch Intern Med 157:2080-8. 1997..the Food and Drug Administration standards for bioequivalency, especially with respect to narrow therapeutic index drugs, the awareness and attitudes of prescribing physicians to generic drugs and generic substitution are important.
- Issues in the use of generic antiarrhythmic drugsJ A Reiffel
Cardiology Division, Department of Medicine, Columbia University, College of Physician and Surgeons and The Arrhythmia Service, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center Campus, The New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York, USA
Curr Opin Cardiol 16:23-9. 2001..Additionally, guidelines for allowance or avoidance of antiarrhythmic drug formulation substitution are suggested...
- European healthcare policies for controlling drug expenditureSilvia M Ess
Hirslanden Research, Zurich, Switzerland
Pharmacoeconomics 21:89-103. 2003..To control costs, the use of generic drugs is encouraged in most countries, but only few countries allow pharmacists to substitute generic drugs for ..
- Incentives and pharmaceutical reimbursement reforms in SpainJaume Puig-Junoy
Research Centre for Health and Economics CRES, Department of Economics and Business, Pompeu Fabra University, C Trias Fargas 25 27, 34 08005 Barcelona, Spain
Health Policy 67:149-65. 2004..In the final section of this paper, we present an overall assessment of the impact of these pharmaceutical reimbursement policies on the behaviour of the agents in the pharmaceutical market...
- [How do practitioners evaluate the newly introduced system of substituting prescriptions?]S L Rubak
Aarhus Universitet, Institut for Almen Medicin
Ugeskr Laeger 162:6070-3. 2000..The purpose of this study was to obtain the GPs' views on the system and evaluate the problems related to the system...
- The impact of generic-only drug benefits on patients' use of inhaled corticosteroids in a Medicare population with asthmaVicki Fung
Center for Health Policy Studies, Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Oakland, California, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 8:151. 2008..We examined changes in ICS use following the introduction of generic-only coverage in a Medicare Advantage population from 2003-2004...
- Are all aciclovir cream formulations bioequivalent?L Trottet
GlaxoSmithKline, Weybridge, Surrey, UK
Int J Pharm 304:63-71. 2005..Given the magnitude of the differences seen, there is concern over therapeutic inequivalence of generic ACV creams to the innovator cream...
- Generic substitution of antihypertensive drugs: does it affect adherence?Boris L G Van Wijk
Department of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacotherapy, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Ann Pharmacother 40:15-20. 2006..However, pharmacists and physicians often find that patients and brand-name manufacturers have doubt about the equivalence of the substituted drug. This may be reflected by decreased adherence to therapy...
- Clinical consequences of generic substitution of lamotrigine for patients with epilepsyJ LeLorier
Centre de Recherche, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Neurology 70:2179-86. 2008....
- Attitudes of Slovene general practitioners towards generic drug prescribing and comparison with international studiesJ Kersnik
Department of Family Medicine, Medical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Clin Pharm Ther 31:577-83. 2006..Substitution of branded products by generic equivalents can offer savings. General practitioners (GPs) are often concerned about the quality of generic products and possible legal liabilities associated with their use...
- Opinion and behaviour of pharmacists towards the substitution of branded drugs by generic drugs: survey of 1,000 French community pharmacistsBenoit Allenet
Clinical Pharmacy Department, Grenoble School of Pharmacy, France Pavillon Moidieu, CHU de Grenoble, 38700 La Tronche, France
Pharm World Sci 25:197-202. 2003In 1999, a new law was introduced, giving French pharmacists the right to switch from branded to generic drugs, unless the prescriber had specified that substitution was not permitted...
- In vitro disintegration studies of weekly generic alendronate sodium tablets (70 mg) available in the USRichard J Dansereau
Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Mason, OH, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 25:449-52. 2009....
- Drug product selection: legal issuesT P Christensen
College of Pharmacy, North Dakota State University, Fargo 58105, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 41:868-74. 2001..To review the potential legal liability of the pharmacist in the drug product selection process...
- Therapeutic equivalency of generic antiepileptic drugs: results of a surveyAndrew N Wilner
Suite 317, Americas Building, Newport, RI 02840, USA
Epilepsy Behav 5:995-8. 2004..Fifty-two (18.4%) neurologists agreed that the Food and Drug Administration standards for AED bioavailability are sufficiently narrow; 231 (81.6%) did not...
- What's the problem with generic antiepileptic drugs?: a call to actionMichel J Berg
Neurology 68:1245-6. 2007
- Experience with generic drugs in epilepsy patients: an electronic survey of members of the German, Austrian and Swiss branches of the ILAEGunter Kramer
Epilepsia 48:609-11. 2007
- Brand and generic medications: are they interchangeable?Abdulrazaq S Al-Jazairi
Department of Pharmacy Services, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Saudi Pharmaceutical Industries and Medical Appliances Corporation and the cCollege of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 28:33-41. 2008..Our objective was to review and examine the basis of the controversy surrounding brand and generic interchangeability and to explore a practical approach in pursuing a switch...
- Patient and physician reactions to generic antiepileptic substitution in the treatment of epilepsyLisa S Haskins
Harris Interactive Health Care Division, Rochester, NY, USA
Epilepsy Behav 7:98-105. 2005..The clinical and economic consequences of generic antiepileptic drug (AED) substitution are not yet fully understood. This article provides a broad perspective of generic AED substitution in five countries...
- Esophageal transit and in vivo disintegration of branded risedronate sodium tablets and two generic formulations of alendronic acid tablets: a single-center, single-blind, six-period crossover study in healthy female subjectsAlan C Perkins
Academic Medical Physics and Wolfson Digestive Diseases Centre, University Hospital, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Clin Ther 30:834-44. 2008....
- Generic substitution in the treatment of epilepsy: case evidence of breakthrough seizuresM J Berg
Strong Epilepsy Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642 8673, USA
Neurology 71:525-30. 2008..There are concerns that generic and brand antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) may not be therapeutically equivalent. This study investigated how generic AED substitution may have negative consequences...
- Potential therapeutic failure of generic vancomycin in a liver transplant patient with MRSA peritonitis and bacteremiaCarlos A Rodriguez
GRIPE Grupo Investigador de Problemas en Enfermedades Infecciosas, University of Antioquia Medical School, Medellin, Colombia
J Infect 59:277-80. 2009..It raises concern about therapeutic equivalence of generic vancomycin...
- The bioequivalence and therapeutic efficacy of generic versus brand-name psychoactive drugsGiuseppe Borgheini
Neurological and Psychiatric Department, University of Padua, and Casa di Cura Parco dei Tigli, Padua, Italy
Clin Ther 25:1578-92. 2003..However, bioequivalence and therapeutic effectiveness are not necessarily the same...
- Consumer perceptions of risk and required cost savings for generic prescription drugsJ M Ganther
Sonderegger Research Center, School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 40:378-83. 2000....
- Progress in methodologies for evaluating bioequivalence of topical formulationsV P Shah
Office of Pharmaceutical Science, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Am J Clin Dermatol 2:275-80. 2001..However, confidence in this methodology needs to be established, particularly regarding its relevance to clinical drug efficacy...
- Determinants of prescribing costs amongst single-handed general practitionersP S Gill
Department of Primary Care and General Practice, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
J Clin Pharm Ther 26:433-5. 2001..To investigate the contribution of patient and doctor characteristics in explaining observed variations in prescribing costs between individual doctors...
- The economic consequences of generic substitution for antiepileptic drugs in a public payer setting: the case of lamotrigineMei Sheng Duh
Analysis Group, Inc, Boston, Massachusetts 02199, USA
Dis Manag 10:216-25. 2007..Payers may weigh smaller-than-expected cost reductions against a possible decrease in effectiveness to assess the relevance of mandatory generic switching of lamotrigine...
- Recommendations of the Italian League against Epilepsy working group on generic products of antiepileptic drugsEmilio Perucca
Clinical Pharmacology Unit and Institute of Neurology IRCCS C Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Epilepsia 47:16-20. 2006....
- Multiple validated measures of adherence indicate high levels of adherence to generic HIV antiretroviral therapy in a resource-limited settingJessica H Oyugi
Epidemiology and Prevention Interventions Center and San Francisco General Hospital AIDS Program, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:1100-2. 2004..There are no validated measures of adherence to HIV antiretroviral therapy in resource-poor settings. Such measures are essential to understand the unique barriers to adherence as access to HIV antiretroviral therapy expands...
- Economics and structure of the generic pharmaceutical industryD M Kirking
Department of Social and Administrative Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 1065, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 41:578-84. 2001..To review key economic trends of the generic medication market and analyze the changing structure of the generic medication industry...
- Global health and university patentsAmy Kapczynski
Science 301:1629. 2003
- What are the obstacles to generic substitution? An assessment of the behaviour of prescribers, patients and pharmacies during the first year of generic substitution in SwedenKarolina Andersson
Department of Social Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 14:341-8. 2005..The aim of the present study was to investigate obstacles to generic substitution and savings achieved during the first year after Sweden introduced generic substitution in October 2002...
- Pharmacokinetic comparison of generic and trade formulations of lamivudine, stavudine and nevirapine in HIV-infected Malawian adultsMina C Hosseinipour
University of North Carolina Project, Lilongwe Malawi
AIDS 21:59-64. 2007..The Malawian antiretroviral program uses generic Triomune (stavudine, lamivudine, and nevirapine)...
- Antiepileptic drugs: generic versus branded treatmentsDominic C Heaney
Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy, UCL Institute of Neurology and National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK
Lancet Neurol 6:465-8. 2007..mean that substantial drug-budget savings may be possible by switching from innovator brands to cheaper generic drugs. Such savings have been achieved in many other treatment areas...
- Generic warfarin: implications for clinical practice and perceptions of anticoagulation providersRachel A Bongiorno
University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Semin Thromb Hemost 30:619-26. 2004..These perceptions may change over time as additional data showing comparative therapeutic outcomes between generic and brand name formulations are published...
- Determination of therapeutic equivalence of generic products of gentamicin in the neutropenic mouse thigh infection modelAndres F Zuluaga
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Antioquia Medical School, Medellin, Colombia
PLoS ONE 5:e10744. 2010..Recent reports of deaths associated with generic heparin and metoprolol have raised concerns about the efficacy and safety of DRA-approved drugs...
- Impact of the Minimum Pricing Policy and introduction of brand (generic) substitution into the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in AustraliaP McManus
Drug Utilisation Sub Committee MDP 83, Department of Health and Aged Care, GPO Box 9848, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 10:295-300. 2001....
- Economic consequences of underuse of generic drugs: evidence from Medicaid and implications for prescription drug benefit plansMichael A Fischer
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Health Serv Res 38:1051-63. 2003..To calculate the financial impact of underuse of generic medications in state Medicaid programs...
- Comparative in vitro study of oesophageal adhesiveness of different commercial formulations containing alendronateMonjed Shakweh
Laboratoire de Physicochimie, Pharmacotechnie et Biopharmacie, UMR CNRS 8612, Universite Paris Sud, Chatenay Malabry, France
Eur J Pharm Sci 31:262-70. 2007..The demonstrated differences in adhesiveness suggest that differences in oesophageal tolerance between Fosamax tablets and generics of sodium alendronate may exist...
- Generic substitution in the treatment of epilepsy: patient and physician perceptionsMichel J Berg
Department of Neurology, University of Rochester Medical Center and Strong Epilepsy Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Epilepsy Behav 13:693-9. 2008..Additional investigation on bioequivalence may help address ongoing concerns and inform policy-making decisions...
- [Partial reimbursement of prescription charges for generic drugs reduces costs for both health insurance and patients]Ghazaleh Gouya
Universitätsklinik für Klinische Pharmakologie, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wien, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 120:89-95. 2008..In collaboration with a company health insurance with 3143 members we analysed the economic benefit of reduced prescription fees for generic drugs in a 12-month period.
- Should newly diagnosed epilepsy be treated with generics?Peter Wolf
Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen and at the Danish Epilepsy Centre, Dianalund, Denmark
Nat Clin Pract Neurol 4:176-7. 2008
- Generic substitution: issues for problematic drugsJ D Henderson
Department of Physician Assistant Studies, College of Allied Health Professions, University of South Alabama College of Medicine, Mobile, USA
South Med J 94:16-21. 2001..Yet, misinformation and myths persist regarding the adequacy and proven reliability of the FDA's determination of bioequivalence for these products...
- Incidence of postoperative infections in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting surgery receiving antimicrobial prophylaxis with original and generic cefuroximeEkaterini Mastoraki
Department of Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, 356 Sygrou Ave, 17674 Athens, Greece
J Infect 56:35-9. 2008....
- In vitro potency evaluations of various piperacillin/tazobactam generic products compared with the contemporary branded (Zosyn, Wyeth) formulationRonald N Jones
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 61:76-9. 2008..The average -16% activity across all generic lots was equivalent to underdosing piperacillin/tazobactam by 2.6 g daily for serious clinical infections (4.5 g Q6 h)...
- The impact of generic substitution on price competition in FinlandVille Aalto-Setälä
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Helsinki, P O Box 56, 00014, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Health Econ 9:185-91. 2008..The most important factors that influenced the price development were the number of competitors, whether the drug was originator or generic and the width of the price band...
- Reference pricing of pharmaceuticals for Medicare: evidence from Germany, The Netherlands, and New ZealandPatricia M Danzon
University of Pennsylvania, USA
Front Health Policy Res 7:1-54. 2004..S. generic market, and on research and development (R&D) and the future supply of new drugs, because of the much larger U.S. share of global pharmaceutical sales...
- AWP reimbursement scrutinized by several statesJohn Carroll
Manag Care 12:11-2. 2003
- In that case: a pharmaceutical company that makes generic versions of commonly used drugs has produced a generic of a proprietary drug widely prescribed in a particular service. ResponseDavid Woolner
MSD, New Zealand
N Z Bioeth J 4:22, 25-6. 2003
- Pharmaceutical promotion and GP prescription behaviourFrank Windmeijer
Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies, London, UK
Health Econ 15:5-18. 2006..We conclude that GP drug price sensitivity is small, but adversely affected by promotion. Ltd...
- [Generic drugs in the treatment of epilepsy]J Gonzalez de Dios
Departamento de Pediatria, Hospital Universitario San Juan, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, San Juan, Alicante, Spain
Rev Neurol 41:676-83. 2005We discuss some controversial aspects with prescription of generic drugs (GD) and the problems concerning bioequivalence, mainly in the case of drugs with non-linear pharmacokinetics and/or narrow therapeutic rank, like the antiepileptic ..
- [Original or generic?]Iván György Magyar
Neuropsychopharmacol Hung 7:167-8. 2005
- Generic products of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs): is it an issue?Meir Bialer
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy and David R Bloom Center for Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
Epilepsia 48:1825-32. 2007....
- [Generics: essentially similar, bioequivalent but not identical]D Even-Adin
Hopital Erasme, U L B
Rev Med Brux 22:513-20. 2001..However, in term of economy, in the drug market, development of GF appears to constitute an unavoidable phenomenon...
- [Medical problems and risks of switching drugs according to legal requirements of drug discount contracts in Germany]M G Pruszydlo
Klinische Pharmakologie und Pharmakoepidemiologie, Abteilung Innere Medizin VI, Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Deutschland
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 133:1423-8. 2008..We aimed to assess the number and nature of clinically relevant differences between prescribed drug and its legal alternatives...
- Employer drug benefit plans and spending on prescription drugsGeoffrey F Joyce
RAND Health, 1700 Main St, Santa Monica, CA 90407 2138, USA
JAMA 288:1733-9. 2002..It is unknown how these initiatives affect drug costs...
- Comparison of annual cost between brand and generic ocular beta-adrenergic blockersHiroaki Ikeda
Department of Pharmaceutical Services, Hiroshima University Hospital, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 0001, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 125:463-7. 2005..The annual cost depended on not only the price of the products but also on the total number of drops in one bottle and the usage. Annual cost data may be helpful in selecting ophthalmic products for treating glaucoma in Japan...
- The impact of drug samples on prescribing to the uninsuredDavid P Miller
Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1051, USA
South Med J 101:888-93. 2008..To determine whether drug samples are associated with physicians prescribing fewer generic, less costly medications...
- India's pharmaceutical industry: hype or high tech take-off?Prabodh Malhotra
Centre for Strategic Economic Studies, Victoria University, PO Box 14428, Melbourne City MC, VIC 8001, Australia
Aust Health Rev 28:182-93. 2004..This article provides a description of the development and structure of the Indian pharmaceutical industry and explores questions and challenges arising from its integration into global markets...
- Impact of health plan design and management on retirees' prescription drug use and spending, 2001Cindy Parks Thomas
Schneider Institute for Health Policy, Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) . 2002..Although we did not find lower rates of use in plans with aggressive cost sharing, this may be attributable in part to their higher drug use associated with mail-order incentives...
- The high price of prescription drugs and its impact on the elderlyAmanda McCloskey
Families USA, 1334 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005, USA
Care Manag J 3:143-53. 2002
- Drug importation and safety of drugs obtained from CanadaMarv Shepherd
Center for Pharmacoeconomic Studies, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Ann Pharmacother 41:1288-91. 2007..The US needs to become innovative and seek solutions that will provide effective, safe, and economical pharmaceuticals without placing a burden on other countries and without damaging the pharmaceutical research...
- Increasing generic drug use in Medicare Part D: the role of governmentHerb Kohl
United States Senator from Wisconsin, Majority Leader, U S Senate Special Committee on Aging, 2nd and C St, NE, 330 Hart Senate Office Building, United States Senate, Washington, DC 20510, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:1106-9. 2007
- Financial consequences of drug benefit plansBrenda Motheral
JAMA 289:423-4; author reply 424. 2003
- Financial consequences of drug benefit plansBartholomew E Clark
JAMA 289:423; author reply 424. 2003
- Financial consequences of drug benefit plansJohn Hsu
JAMA 289:423; author reply 424. 2003
- Getting serious about genericsMartin Sipkoff
Manag Care 12:36-9. 2003
- Managing prescription drug costsJ M Sica
Aon Consulting, Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, USA
Empl Benefits J 26:35-40. 2001..The author also discusses pharmacy benefit managers, as well as various utilization management strategies like benefit plan design and the use of formularies...
- Out-of-pocket and total costs of fixed-dose combination antihypertensives and their componentsAtonu Rabbani
Center for Health and Social Sciences, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Hypertens 21:509-13. 2008..Many patients are burdened by prescription costs, yet it is not clear whether brand-named fixed-dose combination medicines are less expensive than the sum of the cost of their generic components...
- Do pharmaceutical prices respond to potential patient out-of-pocket expenses?Nina Pavenik
Dartmouth College, USA
Rand J Econ 33:469-87. 2002..Price declines are most pronounced for brand-name products. Moreover, branded products that face more generic competitors reduce prices more...
- The importance of being first: evidence from Canadian generic pharmaceuticalsAidan Hollis
Department of Economics, University of Calgary, Canada
Health Econ 11:723-34. 2002..pooled cross-section data on Canadian ethical drug sales to examine the effect of entry timing on sales of generic drugs. The data is for all drugs for which the first generic competitor entered during the years 1994-1997...
- [Analysis of generic drug supply in France]F Taboulet
Programme pluri formation de structuration de la recherche en Santé publique et Médecine clinique Médicament, sécurité sanitaire et régulation du système de santé M2SR2S, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 51:415-25. 2003..iii) to analyze information on excipients provided to health care professionals...
- Prices, profits, and innovation: examining criticisms of new psychotropic drugs' valueHaiden A Huskamp
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:635-46. 2006....
- In that case: a pharmaceutical company that makes generic versions of commonly used drugs has produced a generic of a proprietary drug widely prescribed in a particular service. ResponseJohn Adams
Dunedin School of Medicine, New Zealand
N Z Bioeth J 4:22-3. 2003
Research Grants112 found, 100 shown here
- Periventricular White Matter Injury PreventionScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2010..avoid the high costs and the lengthy time frame associated with new drug development in applying FDA-approved, generic drugs for novel clinical applications...
- Designing drugs that suppress chronic brain inflammationDAVID VIA; Fiscal Year: 2005..Since the ultimate goal of therapeutic strategies for AD is to protect neurons, we screened a variety of generic drugs for neuroprotective effect using cell culture and animals models of AD immune pathology...
- An intervention to improve rational prescribing in cardiovascular diseaseWilliam Shrank; Fiscal Year: 2007..End of Abstract) ..
- Economics of Formulary Design and Mental Health PolicyHaiden Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2006..Huskamp the training, mentoring, time and resources to develop the skills that will put her in a position to lead independent research on the economics of pharmaceutical treatment for mental illnesses. ..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- Medicare Part D Plan Generosity & Dual-Eligible Nursing Home ResidentsHaiden Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Medicare Part D Plan Generosity & Dual-Eligible Nursing Home ResidentsHaiden A Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Effects of Mental Parity on High-Cost and Severely-Ill IndividualsHaiden Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will estimate a combination of two-part random-effects models for longitudinal data, latent class random-effects models, logistic regression models, Poisson regression models, and hazard models to address these aims. ..
- Effects of Mental Parity on High-Cost and Severely-Ill IndividualsHaiden A Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2011..We will estimate a combination of two-part random-effects models for longitudinal data, latent class random-effects models, logistic regression models, Poisson regression models, and hazard models to address these aims. ..
- Effects of Mental Parity on High-Cost and Severely-Ill IndividualsHaiden A Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will estimate a combination of two-part random-effects models for longitudinal data, latent class random-effects models, logistic regression models, Poisson regression models, and hazard models to address these aims. ..
- Seniors' health literacy, beliefs and asthma self-managementAlex D Federman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study findings will expand our understanding of health literacy and provide new insights into best methods for educating older asthmatics about managing their disease. ..
- BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH TRAINING IN DRUG ABUSETHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Monoclonal Antibodies in Cancer Care: Is Underinsurance An Access Barrier?Ya Chen Tina Shih; Fiscal Year: 2010..This information will help project the future costs of cancer. Findings from this study will also alert policymakers to the subgroups of patients who may not benefit from innovative agents such as mAbs due to access barriers. ..
- Reducing Cost-Related Medication Nonadherence in Persons with DiabetesChien Wen Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2010..If shown to be successful, the Prescribing Guide is practical and low-cost, and could easily be translated to other states, giving it tremendous potential to improve health nationwide. ..
- Clinical Implications of Variation Among Medicare FormulariesChien Wen Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Advanced Training in Health Service ResearchPatricia Danzon; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Economic Evaluations of Emerging Genomic Tests for Early Stage Breast CancerYA CHEN SHIH; Fiscal Year: 2007..To estimate the budgetary impact of the emerging pharmacogenomic prognostic and/or predictive tests ..
- BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH TRAINING IN DRUG ABUSETHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Monoclonal Antibodies in Cancer Care: Is Underinsurance An Access Barrier?YA CHEN SHIH; Fiscal Year: 2009..This information will help project the future costs of cancer. Findings from this study will also alert policymakers to the subgroups of patients who may not benefit from innovative agents such as mAbs due to access barriers. ..
- Seniors' health literacy, beliefs and asthma self-managementAlex Federman; Fiscal Year: 2009..The study findings will expand our understanding of health literacy and provide new insights into best methods for educating older asthmatics about managing their disease. ..
- Molecular Genetics of Inattention in AustraliaTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2009..This will be at a marked cost savings due to the employment of existing well-characterized samples and the long history of collaborative studies between investigators from Australia and the United States. ..
- Electronic Research Submission at Washington UnivTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, this infrastructure will make it possible for all compliance committees to share data to ensure the highest level of human subject protection. ..
- OPIATE ENDOCRINE INTERACTIONS--DEVELOPMENTAL ASPECTSTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed animal studies could establish whether gender differences exist and if these differences are based on inherent, first-order biological differences between the sexes. ..
- OPIATE-ENDOCRINE INTERACTIONS--DEVELOPMENTAL ASPECTSTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- OPIATE-ENDOCRINE INTERACTIONS; DEVELOPMENTAL ASPECTSTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 1992
- Specialty Mental Health Care--Expanding Access in an HMODominic Hodgkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results will inform health plan decision-makers and others as they make utilization management choices that may have a major impact on patients and enrollee populations overall. ..
- Provision of Alcohol Services in Private Health PlansConstance M Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2010..This competitive renewal for Round 3 of our survey will provide a current picture of the complex and changing organization of behavioral health services in private health plans, which cover the majority of people under 65 in the U.S. ..
- Provision of Drug Abuse Treatment Services Under ParityConstance M Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2010..s. ..
- Pharmacological Optimization of Poly-Drug Therapy in Traumatic Brain InjuryMichael R Hoane; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will help to identify combinations of drugs that could be used to prevent the long-term effects. ..
- Substrate requirements of the bile acid transporterJAMES POLLI; Fiscal Year: 2007..This systematic and progressive approach will serve as a prototypical method to elucidate the substrate requirements of other solute carrier (SLC) proteins. ..
- Provision of Alcohol Services in Private Health PlansConstance Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2009..s. ..
- Substrate requirements of the bile acid transporterJAMES POLLI; Fiscal Year: 2009..This systematic and progressive approach will serve as a prototypical method to elucidate the substrate requirements of other solute carrier (SLC) proteins. ..
- Effective Care Management of Depressed Diabetes PatientsJohn Piette; Fiscal Year: 2007..The evaluation has been structured based on the RE-AIM framework for effectiveness trials. ..
- Epileptogenicity in the Developing BrainRaman Sankar; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our findings will provide the basis for future neuroprotective interventions targeting the developing brain at different stages of status epilepticus in order to interrupt the course of the epileptogenic process. ..
- High Purity Amphotericin B: A Safer Antimycotic in AIDSJohn Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Pharmacogenomics/natural products + antifungal activityJohn Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2004..Probing this array with eukaryotic mRNA from cells exposed to novel antifungals would predict common mechanism of action and likelihood of toxicity, activity and resistance. ..
- Access to Care: Children with Special Health Care NeedsAlex Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Phase II is the development of an access-to-care survey instrument and limited-scope primary data collection to further examines factors impacting access to care for CSHCN. ..
- DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT UNDER MANAGED CARE--ROLE OF PPOSConstance Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study will provide systematic information on the nature and extent of these changes. ..
- Alcohol Treatment Under Managed Care Plans: Role of HMOsConstance Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study will provide systematic information on the nature and extent of HMO changes, and their impact on alcohol service delivery, during this time period. ..
- Doctoral Training/Health Services Research on AlcoholConstance Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2007..This unique approach to doctoral training has already established the Heller NIAAA Doctoral Training Program a success, as evidenced by the progress and commitment of the current and former trainees. ..
- Concurrent HAART and Tuberculosis Treatment: Drug to Drug InteractionsAwewura Kwara; Fiscal Year: 2007....