Summary: Medicated dosage forms that are designed to be inserted into the rectal, vaginal, or urethral orifice of the body for absorption. Generally, the active ingredients are packaged in dosage forms containing fatty bases such as cocoa butter, hydrogenated oil, or glycerogelatin that are solid at room temperature but melt or dissolve at body temperature.
Publications188 found, 100 shown here
- A two-way cross-over bioequivalence study comparing two products of diclofenac sodium suppositories in healthy human volunteersMazen Hasan
Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid 22110, Jordan
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 95:263-5. 2004..00+/-0.09 with a 95% confidence limits (C.L.) of 0.82-1.18. Thus, these findings clearly indicate that the two products are bioequivalent in terms of rate and extent of drug absorption...
- Rectal analgesia for the relief of perineal pain after childbirth: a randomised controlled trial of diclofenac suppositoriesJodie M Dodd
Maternal and Perinatal Clinical Trials Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Adelaide, Women s and Children s Hospital, North Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
BJOG 111:1059-64. 2004..To evaluate rectal diclofenac in the relief of perineal pain after trauma during childbirth...
- Comparative absorption of 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) after administration of a 5-ASA enema and salazosulfapyridine (SASP) after an SASP suppository in Japanese volunteersKenji Tokui
Department of Pharmacy, Nagoya Daini Red Cross Hospital, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 25:264-7. 2002..In the present study, we prepared suppositories containing 6.5 mmol of SASP and an enema containing 6.5 mmol of 5-ASA...
- Symptom control in cancer patients: the clinical pharmacology and therapeutic role of suppositories and rectal suspensionsMellar P Davis
Harry R Horvitz Center for Palliative Medicine, 9500 Euclid Avenue R35, Cleveland OH 44195, USA
Support Care Cancer 10:117-38. 2002..In this review the pharmacology of rectally administered palliative medications is reviewed and the use of individual drugs is outlined...
- Serum paracetamol concentrations in adult volunteers following rectal administrationM E Stocker
Department of Anaesthesia, South Devon Healthcare Trust, Torquay, UK
Br J Anaesth 87:638-40. 2001..We conclude that doses of 35-45 mg kg(-1) of rectal paracetamol are needed to achieve sustained therapeutic plasma concentrations in healthy adult volunteers...
- Investigation of product quality between extemporaneously compounded progesterone vaginal suppositories and an approved progesterone vaginal gelVorapann Mahaguna
PharmaForm, LLC, Austin, TX 78758, USA
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 30:1069-78. 2004..limit testing and preservative effectiveness testing on extemporaneously compounded progesterone vaginal suppositories obtained from 10 randomly chosen compounding pharmacies (90 suppositories each) across the United States, to ..
- Sumatriptan (50 mg tablets vs. 25 mg suppositories) in the acute treatment of menstrually related migraine and oral contraceptive-induced menstrual migraine: a pilot studyFabio Facchinetti
UCADH Section Psychobiology of Reproduction, Mother Infant Dept, Univ of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Emilia, Modena, Italy
Gynecol Endocrinol 26:773-9. 2010..In the OCMM group 55% of patients improved at 2 h with suppositories and 46% with tablets, 27% of patients were pain-free after suppositories and 18% after tablets...
- Pre-referral rectal artesunate to prevent death and disability in severe malaria: a placebo-controlled trialM F Gomes
UNICEF UNDP World Bank WHO Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 373:557-66. 2009..We investigated whether this intervention reduced mortality and permanent disability...
- A prospective randomized single blind trial of Fleet phosphate enema versus glycerin suppositories as preparation for flexible sigmoidoscopyD Underwood
Department of Surgery, Altnagelvin Area Hospital, Glenshane Road, Londonderry BT47 6SB, Northern Ireland, UK
Ir J Med Sci 179:113-8. 2010..This study compared the efficacy and patient acceptability of two methods of bowel preparation for flexible sigmoidoscopy...
- A rapid micro quantification method of paracetamol in suppositories using differential scanning calorimetryMohamed I Noordin
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 30:925-30. 2004..5-4.0 mg) from the tip, middle, and base sections of individual paracetamol suppositories, which were sampled carefully using a stainless steel scalpel...
- Analysis of histological therapeutic effect, apoptosis rate and p53 status after combined treatment with radiation, hyperthermia and 5-fluorouracil suppositories for advanced rectal cancersC Sakakura
First Department of Surgery, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Japan
Br J Cancer 77:159-66. 1998....
- Efficacy and safety of mesalamine suppositories for treatment of ulcerative proctitis in children and adolescentsMelvin B Heyman
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0136, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 16:1931-9. 2010..We conducted an open-label trial to evaluate the clinical efficacy of a mesalamine suppository (500 mg) to treat pediatric patients with mild to moderate ulcerative proctitis...
- A pilot study evaluating the safety and effectiveness of Lactobacillus vaginal suppositories in patients with recurrent urinary tract infectionShinya Uehara
Department of Urology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:S30-4. 2006..clinical pilot study was performed to confirm the safety and effectiveness of Lactobacillus vaginal suppositories against the recurrence of bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI)...
- [A case of acute pancreatitis caused by 5-aminosalicylic acid suppositories in a patient with ulcerative colitis]Kook Hyun Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yeungnam University College of Medicine, Nam Gu, Daegu, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 50:379-83. 2007..Topical formulations of 5-ASA like suppositories have been rarely reported to induce adverse reactions because of their limited absorption rate...
- Salbutamol sulfate suppositories: influence of formulation on physical parameters and stabilityEhab I Taha
Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, Al Azhar University, Nasr City, Cairo, Egypt
Pharm Dev Technol 8:21-30. 2003..The prepared formulae with and without different concentrations of gels were tested for hardness, melting time, content uniformity, and drug release. The stability of some of the selected formulae was assessed...
- Rectal tissue, plasma and urine concentrations of mesalazine after single and multiple administrations of 500 mg suppositories to healthy volunteers and ulcerative proctitis patientsG Aumais
Algorithme Pharma Inc, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 17:93-7. 2003..Patients with ulcerative proctitis may have rectal mucosal properties different from healthy volunteers. This project compared the pharmacokinetics of rectally administered mesalazine in these two populations...
- [Clinical study on dinoprostone suppositories 0.8 mm used in cervical ripening and labor induction of women with term pregnancy of premature rupture of the membranes: a multicenter study]Li Ying Zou
Department of Obstetrics, Beijing Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi 45:492-6. 2010To investigate safety and efficacy of dinoprostone suppositories (0.8 mm) used in cervical ripening and labor induction in women with term premature rupture of the membranes.
- Mono- and biphasic plasma concentration-time curves of mesalazine from a 500 mg suppository in healthy male volunteers controlled by the time of defecation before dosingT B Vree
Institute for Anaesthesiology, Academic Hospital Nijmegen Sint Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Pharm Pharmacol 52:645-52. 2000This study was based on data from a bioequivalence study (n=24) of two different formulations of suppositories containing 500 mg mesalazine (formulation I and II), with a similar dissolution profile in phosphate buffer pH 6.8...
- Clinical and economic impact of using macrogol 3350 plus electrolytes in an outpatient setting compared to enemas and suppositories and manual evacuation to treat paediatric faecal impaction based on actual clinical practice in England and WalesJulian F Guest
CATALYST Health Economics Consultants, Northwood, Middlesex, UK
Curr Med Res Opin 23:2213-25. 2007..and economic impact of using macrogol 3350 plus electrolytes (macrogol 3350; Movicol; Movicol Paediatric Plain) in an outpatient setting compared to enemas and suppositories and manual evacuation to treat paediatric faecal impaction.
- Effect of drug solubility on in vitro availability rate from suppositories with polyethylene glycol excipientsN Realdon
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Padua, Italy
Pharmazie 56:163-7. 2001Factors involved in the availability mechanism of different drugs from suppositories with polyethylene glycol (PEG) excipients were studied using an in vitro model of the rectal compartment with a porous membrane simulating the rectal ..
- Ulcerative proctitis: a review of pharmacotherapy and managementPeter Laszlo Lakatos
Semmelweis University, First Department of Medicine, H1083 Budapest, Koranyi S 2A, Hungary
Expert Opin Pharmacother 9:741-9. 2008..Ulcerative proctitis (UP) is a common presentation of ulcerative colitis (UC)...
- Efficacy of hyoscine-N-butyl bromide (Buscopan) suppositories as a cervical spasmolytic agent in labourDaya Sirohiwal
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Haryana, India
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 45:128-9. 2005To evaluate the efficacy and safety of hyoscine-N-butyl bromide (Buscopan) suppositories in the active phase of labour, i.e. once the labour is established.
- Validation of liquid chromatographic method for analysis of lidocaine hydrochloride, dexamethasone acetate, calcium dobesilate, buthylhydroxyanisol and degradation product hydroquinone in suppositories and ointmentLj Zivanovic
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Drug Analysis, Faculty of Pharmacy, Vojvode Stepe 450, Belgrade, Serbia
J Chromatogr A 1088:182-6. 2005..determination of lidocaine hydrochloride, dexamethasone acetate (DA) and calcium dobesilate (CD) in suppositories and ointment...
- Factors influencing adherence to referral advice following pre-referral treatment with artesunate suppositories in children in rural TanzaniaDaudi O Simba
Department of Community Health, Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Trop Med Int Health 14:775-83. 2009..We investigated factors influencing caretakers' adherence to referral advice following pre-referral treatment of their children with rectal artesunate suppositories.
- Pharmacokinetics/Pharmacodynamics findings after repeated administration of ARTESUNATE thermostable suppositories (RECTOCAPS) in Vietnamese patients with uncomplicated malariaA Benakis
Department of Pharmacology, University of Geneva, Switzerland
Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 31:41-5. 2006..Repeated administration of ART can extend the duration of therapeutic plasma levels of the drug...
- Caregivers' acceptance of using artesunate suppositories for treating childhood malaria in Papua New GuineaRachael L Hinton
Papua New Guinea Institute of Medical Research, Goroka, Papua New Guinea
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:634-40. 2007Community-based interventions using artemisinin-derived suppositories may potentially reduce malaria-related childhood mortality...
- Efficacy of rectal artesunate compared with parenteral quinine in initial treatment of moderately severe malaria in African children and adults: a randomised studyK I Barnes
Division of Pharmacology, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Lancet 363:1598-605. 2004..We aimed to assess the reliability of absorption, antimalarial efficacy, and tolerability of a single rectal dose of artesunate in the initial management of moderately severe falciparum malaria...
- Reduction of postoperative nausea and vomiting by dimenhydrinate suppositories after strabismus surgery in childrenI D Welters
Department of Anesthesiology and Strabismology and Neuroophthalmology, University of Giessen, Germany
Anesth Analg 90:311-4. 2000..Preanesthetic medication with midazolam (0.5 mg/kg) as well as application of either dimenhydrinate suppositories or a placebo preparation was performed 30 min before the induction of anesthesia...
- Population pharmacokinetics of artesunate and dihydroartemisinin following intra-rectal dosing of artesunate in malaria patientsJulie A Simpson
Centre for Molecular, Environmental, Genetic and Analytic Epidemiology, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
PLoS Med 3:e444. 2006..We studied the population pharmacokinetics of intra-rectal artesunate and the relationship with parasitological responses in patients with moderately severe falciparum malaria...
- A randomized comparison of side effects and patient convenience between Cyclogest suppositories and Endometrin tablets used for luteal phase support in IVF treatmentErnest Hung Yu Ng
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Hong Kong, 6 F, Professorial Block, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, People s Republic of China
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 131:182-8. 2007This study compared side effects and patient convenience of vaginal progesterone suppositories (Cyclogest) and vaginal progesterone tablets (Endometrin) used for luteal phase support in in vitro fertilization/embryo transfer (IVF/ET) ..
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) after rectal administration of hollow-type suppositories containing hCGKouji Kowari
Department of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, Showa Pharmaceutical University, Machida, Tokyo, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 25:678-81. 2002..4 +/- 0.9ng/ml) observed before the administration. These results suggest that the hollow-type suppository as a rectal delivery system of hCG is promising as a new mode of hCG therapy...
- A phase III randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study of misoprostol rectal suppositories to prevent acute radiation proctitis in patients with prostate cancerAndrea Hille
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiooncology, University of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63:1488-93. 2005....
- Disposition of artesunate and dihydroartemisinin after administration of artesunate suppositories in children from Papua New Guinea with uncomplicated malariaHarin A Karunajeewa
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:2966-72. 2004..children from Papua New Guinea with uncomplicated falciparum or vivax malaria treated with artesunate (ARTS) suppositories (Rectocaps) given in two doses of approximately 13 mg/kg of body weight 12 h apart...
- Prevalence of Candida glabrata and its response to boric acid vaginal suppositories in comparison with oral fluconazole in patients with diabetes and vulvovaginal candidiasisDebarti Ray
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Diabetes Care 30:312-7. 2007..tropicalis. Observational studies indicate that diabetic patients with C. glabrata VVC respond poorly to azole drugs. We evaluated the response to oral fluconazole and boric acid vaginal suppositories in diabetic patients with VVC.
- Artesunate suppositories versus intramuscular artemether for treatment of severe malaria in children in Papua New GuineaHarin A Karunajeewa
Medicine Unit Fremantle, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Crawley
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:968-74. 2006Drug treatment of severe malaria must be rapidly effective. Suppositories may be valuable for childhood malaria when circumstances prevent oral or parenteral therapy...
- Effects of surfactant characteristics on drug availability from suppositoriesN Realdon
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padova, Italy
Pharmazie 63:459-63. 2008..The relationship between the melted suppositories and a membrane simulating the rectal barrier were investigated in the course of the in vitro release test by ..
- PVC membrane sensor for diclofenac: applications in pharmaceutical analysis and drug binding studiesR Maleki
Food and Chemical Analysis Research Lab, Jahad e Daneshgahi, Urmia
Pharmazie 62:672-7. 2007..The results of diclofenac assay with the proposed sensor were in good agreement with the official HPLC method...
- The preparation and evaluation of sustained release suppositories containing ketoprofen and Eudragit RL 100 by using factorial designI Ozguney
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ege University, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Pharm Dev Technol 12:97-107. 2007The preparation of ketoprofen (KP) sustained release (SR) suppositories was designed according to the 3(2) x 2(1) factorial design as three different KP:Eudragit RL 100 ratios (1:0...
- Diclofenac suppositories and acute ischaemic proctitisN Arya
Department of Surgery, Mid Ulster Hospital, Magherafelt, Co Londonderry BT45 5EX
Ulster Med J 73:63-4. 2004
- A prospective study to assess the efficacy and patient tolerance of three bowel preparations for colonoscopyRoderick Rapier
Southern California Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Division of Gastroenterology, San Diego, California, USA
Gastroenterol Nurs 29:305-8. 2006..This study suggests that a low-residue diet kit, given in conjunction with polyethylene glycol electrolyte or magnesium citrate and bisacodyl, produces adequate colon cleansing and patient tolerability...
- Poloxamer 188 and propylene glycol-based rectal suppository enhances anticancer effect of 5-fluorouracil in miceSeung Hwan Paek
College of Pharmacy, Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 29:1060-3. 2006..Taken together, the results suggest that a poloxamer gel system with 5-FU/P188/PG is an effective rectal dosage form for the treatment of both rectal and non-rectal cancers...
- [Trans mucosal insulin delivery]Y Yamasaki
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, Osaka University, Graduate School of Medicine
Nippon Rinsho 59:2134-9. 2001..After administration of these insulin, insulin was absorbed as rapid as intra-muscular injection of insulin and thus could effectively control postprandial glycemic excursion in diabetic patients...
- Rectal administration of propylthiouracil in suppository form in patients with thyrotoxicosis and critical illness: case report and review of literatureSusan B Zweig
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Beth Israel Medical Center, University Hospital and Manhattan Campus for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, New York 10003, USA
Endocr Pract 12:43-7. 2006..To report the successful management of thyrotoxicosis in a seriously ill 47-year-old man with a perforated gastric ulcer in whom oral intake was contraindicated...
- Advances in anticholinergic therapy delivery systemsG Willy Davila
Geriatrics 57:29-34. 2002
- In vitro and in vivo study in rats of rectal suppositories containing furosemideSzilvia Berkó
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, University of Szeged, Hungary
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 53:311-5. 2002The aim of our experimental work was to formulate furosemide-containing rectal suppositories, to study drug release with in vitro membrane diffusion examinations and to increase drug liberation with the use of non-ionic surfactants (..
- Rectal hydrocortisone during vomiting in children with adrenal insufficiencyM Ni Chroinin
Diabetes and Endocrine Centre, Our Lady s Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin, Dublin, Ireland
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 16:1101-4. 2003..To evaluate rectal hydrocortisone as an emergency glucocorticoid replacement therapy in adrenal insufficient children...
- [Evaluation of the efficacy of wiferon and arbidol in adult influenza]L V Kolobukhina
Vopr Virusol 53:31-3. 2008..Within the first 24-36 hours after the onset of the disease, wiferon and arbidol reduced the duration of fever, intoxication, and the catarrhal symptoms of the disease as a whole. The agents were shown to have an immunomodulating effect...
- Progressive protocol in the bowel management of spinal cord injuriesMaureen Coggrave
National Spinal Injuries Centre, Stoke Mandeville Hospital
Br J Nurs 15:1108-13. 2006..The variable response of individuals to the progressive protocol highlights the need for individual assessment in the area of bowel. The findings of this small study must be validated by a larger study...
- [Combined use of intrathecal morphine and diclofenac suppository for postoperative analgesia after caesarean section]Ikuhiro Hidaka
Department of Anesthesia, Matsue Red Cross Hospital, Matsue 690 8506
Masui 52:1056-61. 2003..Intrathecal morphine for postoperative analgesia after caesarean section has been used in Europe and North America, but its use is not common in Japan...
- Analgesic efficacy of caudal block versus diclofenac suppository and local anesthetic infiltration following pediatric laparoscopyJyoti Borkar
Department of Anesthesiology, B Y L Nair Hospital and T N Medical College, Mumbai, India
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 15:415-8. 2005..To compare the analgesic efficacy of caudal block with diclofenac suppository and local anesthetic infiltration in children undergoing laparoscopy...
- A prospective, randomised trial of preoperative rectal diclofenac: are we closing the gate after the horse has gone?J B Lyons
Department of Anaesthesia, Waterford Regional Hospital, Dublin Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 172:112-4. 2003..It is common clinical practice to administer a diclofenac suppository at induction to contribute to pre-emptive analgesia (PEA). Diclofenac takes up to 30 minutes to attain maximal plasma level after rectal administration...
- [Ulcerative colitis. Maintenance therapy]W Kruis
Abt Innere Medizin, Evangelisches Krankenhaus Köln Kalk
Z Gastroenterol 42:1011-4. 2004
- Opioid-sparing effects of diclofenac and paracetamol lead to improved outcomes after cardiac surgeryMohammed K Fayaz
Department of Anaesthesia, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, United Kingdom
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 18:742-7. 2004This study assessed the analgesic efficacy, side effects, time to extubation, and oxygenation of 3 analgesic regimens after coronary artery bypass surgery using diclofenac, paracetamol, and placebo suppositories.
- Relieving perineal pain after perineorrhaphy by diclofenac rectal suppositories: a randomized double-blinded placebo controlled trialVuthinun Achariyapota
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 91:799-804. 2008..Analgesic rectal suppository is one of various methods in pain relief especially in drowsy patients, or when oral preparation causes gastric discomfort, nausea or vomiting...
- Feasibility of the Ph.Eur. flow-through cell for dissolution testing of the compounded rectal suppositories containing indomethacin or sodium diclofenacBrunon Woyczikowski
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Medical University of Gdansk, 107 Hallera Str, 80 416 Gdansk, Poland
Acta Pol Pharm 60:169-72. 2003Ph.Eur. and BP have introduced a dissolution apparatus for suppositories. Suitability of the apparatus for quality control of indomethacin or sodium diclofenac (100 mg) compounded suppositories was evaluated and the effect of the type of ..
- Physicochemical characterization of diclofenac sodium-loaded poloxamer gel as a rectal delivery system with fast absorptionChul Soon Yong
College of Pharmacy, Yeungnam University, Dae Dong, Gyongsan, Korea
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 29:545-53. 2003..Our results suggested that a rectal poloxamer gel system with sodium chloride and poloxamers was a more physically stable, convenient, and effective rectal dosage form for diclofenac sodium...
- Physicochemical characterization and in vivo evaluation of poloxamer-based solid suppository containing diclofenac sodium in ratsChul Soon Yong
College of Pharmacy, Yeungnam University, 214 1, Dae Dong, Gyongsan 712 749, South Korea
Int J Pharm 301:54-61. 2005..Thus, the poloxamer-based solid suppository with P 124 and P 188 was a mucoadhesive, safe and effective rectal dosage form for diclofenac sodium...
- Reciprocating dialysis tube method: periodic tapping improved in vitro release/dissolution testing of suppositoriesSoichi Itoh
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Osaka University, Japan
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 64:393-8. 2006The reciprocating dialysis tube (RDT) method can be used for in vitro release/dissolution testing of suppositories and has been reported to show good in vitro and in vivo correlation...
- Diclofenac and metabolite pharmacokinetics in childrenCaroline D van der Marel
Department of Paediatric Surgery, ErasmusMC Sophia Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Paediatr Anaesth 14:443-51. 2004..There are no data examining diclofenac or its hydroxyl metabolite pharmacokinetics after rectal administration in children...
- Evaluation of mucin as a release enhancer for rectal delivery of glibenclamideM U Adikwu
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nigeria, Nsukka 410001, Nigeria
Curr Drug Deliv 3:243-54. 2006..Glycerogelatin suppositories containing different ratios of glibenclamide to I-mucin (insoluble), S-mucin (soluble) and sodium salicylate ..
- Comparison of oral versus rectal administration of acetaminophen with codeine in postoperative pediatric adenotonsillectomy patientsVicki Owczarzak
Department of OTO HNS at Columbia, New York Presbyterian Hospital, 180 Fort Washington Avenue, New York, NY 10032, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1485-8. 2006..To examine whether acetaminophen with codeine administered per rectum is an effective alternative for pain control compared with oral administration after an adenotonsillectomy...
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the effect of rectal paracetamol on morphine consumption after abdominal hysterectomyO Kvalsvik
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, St Olav University Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 47:451-6. 2003..Paracetamol is widely used for postoperative analgesia. The effect is well documented in minor and moderate extensive surgery, but the effect of paracetamol as an adjunct to opioids in major abdominal surgery is less examined...
- Acetaminophen decreases early post-thoracotomy ipsilateral shoulder pain in patients with thoracic epidural analgesia: a double-blind placebo-controlled studyThien Bich Mac
Department of Anesthesiology, CHUM, Hopital Notre Dame, 1560 Sherbrooke East, Montreal, Quebec H2L 4M1, Canada
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 19:475-8. 2005..This study assessed the efficacy of acetaminophen in decreasing postoperative shoulder pain after a thoracotomy...
- Enhanced rectal bioavailability of ibuprofen in rats by poloxamer 188 and mentholChul Soon Yong
College of Pharmacy, Yeungnam University, 214 1 Dae Dong, Gyongsan 712 749, South Korea
Int J Pharm 269:169-76. 2004..Thus, the poloxamer gel with poloxamer 188 and menthol was a more effective rectal dosage form for ibuprofen...
- Role of diclofenac in reducing post-endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography pancreatitisManouchehr Khoshbaten
Drug Applied Research Center, Research and Development Complex, Tabriz, Iran
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:e11-6. 2008..We report a prospective, single-center, randomized, double-blind controlled trial to determine if rectal diclofenac reduces the incidence of pancreatitis following cholangiopancreatography...
- Optimization of suppository preparation containing sodium laurate and taurine that can safely improve rectal absorption of rebamipideMasateru Miyake
Formulation Development 1, Formulation Research Institute, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, 224 18 Ebino, Hiraishi, Kawauchi cho, Tokushima 771 0182, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 29:330-5. 2006..In the preset study, in order to make C12-Tau suppositories available for practical use, the scaling-up studies of animal and formulation size were performed, compared ..
- Perioperative pharmacokinetics of ibuprofen enantiomers after rectal administrationMatti Kyllönen
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
Paediatr Anaesth 15:566-73. 2005..Pharmacokinetics of rectal ibuprofen has not been studied, although suppositories are frequently used for perioperative pain control in children.
- [Enteral versus parenteral administration of a single dose of profenid after gynecological laparoscopy]V Tablov
Akush Ginekol (Sofiia) 44:19-22. 2005..As a result of our study we consider that postoperative analgesia with Profenid applied intravenously or by suppository is effective enough method for postoperative analgesia after laparoscopy in gynecology...
- Physicochemical characterization and in vivo evaluation of thermosensitive diclofenac liquid suppositoryChul Soon Yong
College of Pharmacy, Yeungnam University, 214 1, Dae Dong, Gyongsan 712 749, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 26:162-7. 2003..The liquid suppositories with less than 1...
- Thermally reversible in situ gelling carbamazepine liquid suppositoryAmal El-Kamel
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Drug Deliv 13:143-8. 2006..Conventional suppositories can cause patient discomfort and may reach the end of the colon; consequently, the drug can undergo the first-..
- Population pharmacokinetic investigation of phenobarbital by mixed effect modelling using routine clinical pharmacokinetic data in Japanese neonates and infantsE Yukawa
Laboratory of Evidence based Pharmacotherapy, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Daiichi University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Clin Pharm Ther 30:159-63. 2005....
- Comparison of oral versus normal and high-dose rectal acetaminophen in the treatment of febrile childrenDennis Scolnik
Division of Emergency Services, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pediatrics 110:553-6. 2002..To compare the defervescent effect of high-dose rectal suppository acetaminophen with the recommended oral and rectal dosages and to evaluate acceptability of rectal acetaminophen...
- Acetaminophen dosing for neonates, infants, and childrenCharmaine Kleiber
College of Nursing, University of Iowa Iowa City, IA, USA
J Spec Pediatr Nurs 13:48-9. 2008
- Bioequivalence of progesterone sustained release suppository in rabbitsLihong Long
Department of Pharmacology, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 25:470-2. 2005..The relative bioavailability of T to R were (104.2 +/- 13.4)% and (111.4 +/- 19.1)%, respectively. Statistical analysis showed that the two formulations were bioequivalent and T had sustained released feature...
- Increased bioavailability of tacrolimus after rectal administration in ratsMasayuki Sakai
Department of Hospital Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, 207 Aza Uehara, Nishihara cho, Nakagami gun, Okinawa 903 0215, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 27:1480-2. 2004..These results clearly suggest a possibility that rectal administration of tacrolimus is capable of improving its bioavailability and cutting the costs of tacrolimus treatment...
- Evaluation of snail mucin motifs as rectal absorption enhancer for insulin in non-diabetic rat modelsMichael Umale Adikwu
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria
Biol Pharm Bull 28:1801-4. 2005..The % basal blood glucose level of the rats that received the batch of suppositories containing no mucin were consistently above 100% except at the ninetieth minute when it came down slightly to ..
- Rectal administration of propylthiouracil in hyperthyroid patients: comparison of suspension enema and suppository formW Jongjaroenprasert
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Ramathidodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Thyroid 12:627-31. 2002..described the therapeutic effects of propylthiouracil (PTU) and methimazole in normal subjects after rectal suppositories. The goal of our study was to compare the pharmacokinetic and pharmacologic effects of a suppository and ..
- Life-saving rectal artesunate for complicated malaria in childrenKrisana Pengsaa
Department of Tropical Pediatrics, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, 420 6 Ratchawithi Rd, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 36:597-601. 2005..Further studies for the optimized regimen of rectal artesunate in the treatment of cerebral/complicated childhood falciparum malaria in areas of multidrug resistance are warranted...
- Rectal artemether versus intravenous quinine for the treatment of cerebral malaria in children in Uganda: randomised clinical trialJane Ruth Aceng
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Makerere Medical School, PO Box 7072, Kampala, Uganda
BMJ 330:334. 2005..To compare the efficacy and safety of rectal artemether with intravenous quinine in the treatment of cerebral malaria in children...
- Pharmacokinetics of theophylline after administration of suppositories formulationL I Abou-Basha
Drug Bioavailability Center, National Organization for Drug Control and Research NODCAR, Cairo, Egypt
J Immunoassay Immunochem 26:251-8. 2005..were evaluated in 24 healthy male subjects after administration of theophylline ethanoate of piperazine suppositories (PR) (Minophylline 500 mg. Alexandria Co...
- A qualitative study to identify community structures for management of severe malaria: a basis for introducing rectal artesunate in the under five years children in Nakonde District of ZambiaFrederick A D Kaona
Department of Behavioural Sciences, Mwengu Social and Health Research Centre, 12 Kafupi Road, Plot Number 1410 130 Northrise, P O Box 73693, Ndola, Zambia
BMC Public Health 5:28. 2005....
- Treating severe malariaChristopher J M Whitty
BMJ 330:317-8. 2005
- Pain management during uterine artery embolization for symptomatic uterine fibroidsL E Lampmann
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:809-11. 2007
- Prospective randomized trial of pre-emptive analgesics following ambulatory inguinal hernia repair: intravenous ketorolac versus diclofenac suppositoryHung Lau
Department of Surgery, Tung Wah Hospital, University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
ANZ J Surg 72:704-7. 2002..The present prospective randomized trial was undertaken to compare the efficacy of intravenous ketorolac and rectal diclofenac for ambulatory inguinal hernia repairs...
- Bioavailability of metronidazole in rabbits after administration of a rectal suppositorySabinus I Ofoefule
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State, Nigeria
Am J Ther 11:190-3. 2004..The in vitro dissolution profile of the suppositories further confirms rapid absorption of the drug from the suppositories in the rectum...
- [Induced termination of second and third trimester pregnancy in women with scarred uterus]Li Ying Zou
Department of Obstetrics, Beijing Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100026, China
Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi 45:17-21. 2010..To investigate the suitable mode of induced termination of pregnancy at second and third trimester for women with scarred uterus...
- Analysis of pharmaceutical preparations containing antihistamine drugs by micellar liquid chromatographyC Martínez-Algaba
Departamento de Quimica Analitica, Universitat de Valencia, C Vicente Andrés Estellés s n, E 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
J Pharm Biomed Anal 40:312-21. 2006..guaifenesin, paracetamol and pyridoxine in different pharmaceutical presentations (tablets, capsules, suppositories, syrups and ointments)...
- Acute renal failure associated with an accidental overdose of colchicineJ Borras-Blasco
Pharmacy Service, Hospital General Universitario de Elche, Spain
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 43:480-4. 2005..o. over a period of 4 - 5 hours together with six suppositories each containing 100 mg of indomethacin...
- Clinical pharmacology of tramadolStefan Grond
Department of Anesthesia, Martin Luther University, Halle Wittenberg, Germany
Clin Pharmacokinet 43:879-923. 2004..Tramadol is available as drops, capsules and sustained-release formulations for oral use, suppositories for rectal use and solution for intramuscular, intravenous and subcutaneous injection...
- Treatment of childhood constipation by primary care physicians: efficacy and predictors of outcomeStephen M Borowitz
Department of Pediatrics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Pediatrics 115:873-7. 2005..With this study, we prospectively examined which treatments primary care physicians prescribe to children who present for the first time with constipation and how effective those treatments are...
- Proctoscopy should be mandatory in men that have sex with men with external anogenital wartsBostjan Mlakar
RoZna Dolina Surgical Centre, Department for Abdominal Surgery and Proctology, RoZna dolina cesta IV 45, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Acta Dermatovenerol Alp Panonica Adriat 18:7-11. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate anal pathology in men having sex with men (MSM) seen at our proctology outpatient clinics...
- Development of a mucoadhesive dosage form for vaginal administrationG C Ceschel
Department of Pharmaceutical Science, University of Bologna, Italy
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 27:541-7. 2001..from a modification of the Satnikar and Fantelli method for the evaluation of the liquefaction time of rectal suppositories. This test simulates the physiological vaginal condition and verifies the efficiency of the polymers in ..
- Efficacy of povidone-iodine vaginal suppositories in the treatment of bacterial vaginosisGünther Wewalka
Federal Public Health Laboratory, Vienna, Austria
Dermatology 204:79-85. 2002A prospective, randomized clinical trial was performed to study the efficacy of povidone iodine (Betadine) suppositories for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis (BV) in comparison to capsules containing lactobacilli (Döderlein Med)...
- Modified continuous femoral three-in-one block for postoperative pain after total knee arthroplastyS Ganapathy
Department of Anesthesia, London Health Sciences Center, University of Western Ontario, Canada
Anesth Analg 89:1197-202. 1999..All patients received patient-controlled analgesia with morphine and indomethacin suppositories for 48 h. Using computed tomography, we evaluated the catheter location for 20 patients...
- Efficacy and safety of vaginal estriol and progesterone in postmenopausal women with atrophic vaginitisJanet A Chollet
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Menopause 16:978-83. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess the efficacy and safety of intravaginal estriol and progesterone on atrophic vaginitis in postmenopausal women...
- Successful delivery after vaginal radical trachelectomy for invasive uterine cervical cancerShin ichi Ishioka
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine, Minami 1 jo, Nishi 17 chome, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060 8543, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 11:146-9. 2006..Both the mother and the baby were discharged without trouble. This is the first successful case in Japan of delivery after vaginal RT for invasive uterine cervical cancer...
- A randomized controlled trial of pudendal nerve block for pain relief after episiotomyYounès Aissaoui
Département d Anesthésie Réanimation et Urgences, Hôpital Militaire d Instruction des Armées Mohammed V Rabat, Rabat, Morocco
Anesth Analg 107:625-9. 2008..We performed this randomized, double-blind, controlled trial to investigate the efficacy of nerve stimulator-guided unilateral pudendal nerve block for pain relief after episiotomy...
- Increased urinary nitrite excretion in primary enuresis: effects of indomethacin treatment on urinary and serum osmolality and electrolytes, urinary volumes and nitrite excretionN S Al-Waili
Dubai Specialized Medical Center and Medical Research Laboratories, Islamic Establishment for Education, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
BJU Int 90:294-301. 2002....
- Luteal phase hormonal profile in prediction of pregnancy outcome after assisted reproductionK Vicdan
Assisted Reproductive Technologies Center, Bayindir Hospital, Menevis Sokak 30 6, 06540 A Ayranci, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 96:98-101. 2001..All the patients had luteal support with vaginal progesterone suppositories after embryo transfer (ET)...
- Newer formulations of the triptans: advances in migraine managementJonathan Paul Gladstone
Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Drugs 63:2285-305. 2003..newer routes of administration, including orally disintegrating tablets (rizatriptan and zolmitriptan), rectal suppositories (sumatriptan) and intranasal sprays (sumatriptan and zolmitriptan)...
- Acetaminophen developmental pharmacokinetics in premature neonates and infants: a pooled population analysisBrian J Anderson
Auckland Children s Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Anesthesiology 96:1336-45. 2002..The aim of this study was to describe acetaminophen developmental pharmacokinetics in premature neonates through infancy to suggest age-appropriate dosing regimens...
- Mechanisms of tumor suppressor gene reactivation in colon cancer by berriesLi Shu Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..treatment of FAP patients with BRB powder administered both orally (20g/3x/day) and in the form of rectal suppositories caused a 53% regression rate of rectal polyps...
- INDOMETHACIN FOR ADJUVANT TOCOLYSISGeorge Macones; Fiscal Year: 2004..Patients will be randomized to receive either indomethacin rectal suppositories (50 mg every 6 hours) or identical-appearing placebo suppositories for a maximum of 48 hours...
- TREATMENT EVALUATION IN PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME PATIENTSEllen Freeman; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- MISOPROSTOL FOR TREATMENT OF FETAL DEATH AT 14-28 WEEKS PHASE IIIBeverly Winikoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..and evacuation surgery, administration of intravenous oxytocin, and administration of prostaglandin E2 suppositories. In recent years, however, most physicians appear to have adopted the practice of administering misoprostol, a ..
- INDOMETHACIN FOR ADJUVANT TOCOLYSISGeorge Macones; Fiscal Year: 2005..Patients will be randomized to receive either indomethacin rectal suppositories (50mg every 6 hours) or identical appearing placebo suppositories for 48 hours...
- ACCEPTABILITY OF SPERMICIDES ACROSS RISK GROUPS AND TIMEHelen Koo; Fiscal Year: 2003..aims: To increase understanding of the factors affecting choice and use of methods, including vaginal gels and suppositories and condoms, to protect against STDs and HIV/AIDS; To develop better measures for studying acceptability of ..
- IMMUNIZATION AGAINST URINARY TRACT INFECTIONDAVID UEHLING; Fiscal Year: 2001..2. Utilize an animal model to clarify the immunologic basis for the increased resistance to UTI following vaginal immunization and to evaluate adjuvants and vaccination regimes that optimize immunogenicity and efficacy of UTI vaccines. ..
- Use of Modified Lactobacilli to Block HIV TransmissionCHIA HWA CHANG; Fiscal Year: 2002..Importantly, the studies proposed in this application relate directly to a product concept associated with an unmet medical need and substantial commercial opportunity. ..
- Display of HIV Binding Proteins on Bacterial S-LayersDavid Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2002..It will be convenient to use and female-controlled. Importantly, this product concept is associated with an unmet medical meed and substantial commercial opportunity. ..
- Enhancing HIV Medication Adherence in IndiaDEBORAH LYNNE JONES; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Increased Access to Emergency Contraceptive PillsElizabeth Raymond; Fiscal Year: 2004..These secondary analyses should help explain the primary biologic outcomes and should be useful in the development of counseling messages and service protocols in the future. ..
- Implementing HIV Risk Reduction ZambiaDEBORAH LYNNE JONES; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Interventions to Enhance HIV Medication Adherence in ZambiaDeborah Jones; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Implementing HIV Risk Reduction ZambiaDeborah Jones; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Zambia/US Research Partnership in HIV PreventionDeborah Jones; Fiscal Year: 2006..Successful elements from this behavioral intervention will be offered through the RDTP Dissemination component for training and implementation in VCT programs throughout Zambia. ..
- Pathologic Markers of Genetic Damage and Disease in IBDMelvin Heyman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Anti-HIV Microbicide: Cellulose Acetate Phthalate (CAP)A Robert Neurath; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed research is expected to help transform this ideal into a reality. ..
- Genomics of Susceptibility to Urinary Tract InfectionsWALTER HOPKINS; Fiscal Year: 2007..coli strains or non-E, coil bacteria. These objectives will be accomplished using a well-established mouse model of ascending UTI, genetic linkage analysis, and evaluation of resistance to uropathogens in congenic mice. ..
- Role of E. coli Virulence Factors in Chronic Prostate Infection and InflammationWALTER HOPKINS; Fiscal Year: 2007..Secondarily, we will investigate which E. coli genes play a direct or indirect role in development of prostatic lesions. Results of these studies can lead to new methods to prevent or treat chronic bacterial prostatitis. ..
- URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS: IMMUNE BASIS OF SUSCEPTIBILITYWALTER HOPKINS; Fiscal Year: 1993..coli virulence factors modulate the pathogenesis of UTI in immunodeficient mice...
- URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS--IMMUNE BASIS OF SUSCEPTIBILITYWALTER HOPKINS; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Predictors of HIV Risk Behavior Among Men in ArgentinaAlex Carballo Dieguez; Fiscal Year: 2007..This is a fundamental step prior to designing programs that mitigate those factors and result in decreased risk. ..
- Topical Microbicide AcceptabilityAlex Carballo Dieguez; Fiscal Year: 2006..whether or not there are different attitudes about and intentions to use rectal microbicide gels as opposed to suppositories; and whether or not attitudes and intentions change from before to after the product trial...
- Internet Use and HIV Risk among Men in NYCAlex Carballo Dieguez; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- CORE--Technology and Regulatory Core UnitA Robert Neurath; Fiscal Year: 2004..Core Bc, in collaboration with Core Ba. Bb and Bd, will also provide analytical support. Core Bd will provide ZnFIs and analytical and regulatory support related to ZnFIs. ..