Genomes and Genes
Summary: Sterile solutions, essentially free from foreign particles and suitably compounded and dispensed, for instillation into the eye. It does not include solutions for cleaning eyeglasses or CONTACT LENS SOLUTIONS. (From Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications295 found, 100 shown here
- Preservatives in eyedrops: the good, the bad and the uglyChristophe Baudouin
Department of Ophthalmology III, Quinze Vingts National Ophthalmology Hospital, INSERM, U968, UPMC Univ Paris 06, UMR_S 968, Institut de la Vision, CNRS, UMR_7210, Paris F 75012, France
Prog Retin Eye Res 29:312-34. 2010..roles of the active compound and the preservative in inducing the toxic and/or proinflammatory effects of ophthalmic solutions, is still being debated...
- The Ocular Hypertension Treatment Study: a randomized trial determines that topical ocular hypotensive medication delays or prevents the onset of primary open-angle glaucomaMichael A Kass
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 120:701-13; discussion 829-30. 2002..There is no consensus on the efficacy of medical treatment in delaying or preventing the onset of POAG in individuals with elevated IOP. Therefore, we designed a randomized clinical trial, the Ocular Hypertension Treatment Study...
- Management of dry eye diseaseMichael A Lemp
Georgetown University, and OcuSense, Inc, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:S88-101. 2008..Treatment selection is guided primarily by DED severity. Recently published guidelines propose a severity classification based on clinical signs and symptoms, with treatment recommendations according to severity level...
- Factors for glaucoma progression and the effect of treatment: the early manifest glaucoma trialM Cristina Leske
Department of Preventive Medicine, Stony Brook University School of Medicine, Health Sciences Center, L3 086, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8036, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:48-56. 2003..To assess factors for progression in the Early Manifest Glaucoma Trial (EMGT), including the effect of EMGT treatment...
- Topical ophthalmic cyclosporine: pharmacology and clinical usesEric Donnenfeld
Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island and Connecticut, Rockville Centre, New York 11570, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 54:321-38. 2009..As these disorders are often refractory to other available treatments, ophthalmic cyclosporine is a welcome nontoxic adjunct or replacement to potentially toxic topical or systemic immunosuppressive therapies...
- Comparison of the ocular tolerability of a latanoprost cationic emulsion versus conventional formulations of prostaglandins: an in vivo toxicity assayHong Liang
Paris Descartes University, Faculty of Biological and Pharmacological Sciences, Department of Toxicology, Paris, France
Mol Vis 15:1690-9. 2009..005% latanoprost, 0.004% travoprost, 0.03% bimatoprost (containing 0.02%, 0.015%, and 0.005% BAC, respectively), and 0.005% latanoprost in a new cationic emulsion (LCEm) formulation...
- Randomized clinical trial of the efficacy and safety of preservative-free tafluprost and timolol in patients with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertensionAlmira Chabi
Merck Sharp and Dohme Corp, PO Box 1000, North Wales, PA 19454 1099, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 153:1187-96. 2012..To compare the efficacy and safety of tafluprost, a preservative-free (PF) prostaglandin analogue, with PF timolol in patients with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension...
- Efficacy of commercially available topical cyclosporine A 0.05% in the treatment of meibomian gland dysfunctionHenry D Perry
Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island, Rockville Centre, New York 11570, USA
Cornea 25:171-5. 2006..To investigate the efficacy of topical cyclosporine A 0.05% (tCsA) (Restasis, Allergan Pharmaceuticals) in the treatment of meibomian gland dysfunction (posterior blepharitis)...
- Topical cyclosporine in thyroid orbitopathy-related dry eye: clinical findings, conjunctival epithelial apoptosis, and MMP-9 expressionCanan Gürdal
Ankara Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, 2nd Ophthalmology Department, Ankara, Turkey
Curr Eye Res 35:771-7. 2010..To evaluate the effects of topical cyclosporine A (CsA) 0.05% (Restasis) on the signs and symptoms of dry eye, on apoptosis, and on MMP-9 expression in conjunctiva epithelial cells in thyroid orbitopathy (TO)-related dry eye patients...
- Clinical performance of a mid-viscosity artificial tear for dry eye treatmentPeter A Simmons
Eye Care Research and Development, Allergan LLC, Irvine, CA 92612, USA
Cornea 26:294-302. 2007..We report the results of 3 studies conducted to evaluate the performance of a 1.0% carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) mid-viscosity artificial tear compared to currently marketed low-viscosity tears...
- A randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled, multicenter comparison of loteprednol etabonate ophthalmic suspension, 0.5%, and placebo for treatment of keratoconjunctivitis sicca in patients with delayed tear clearanceStephen C Pflugfelder
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 138:444-57. 2004..To evaluate loteprednol etabonate ophthalmic 0.5% suspension, versus placebo for treatment of the inflammatory component of keratoconjunctivitis sicca in patients with delayed tear clearance...
- The economic burden of dry eye: a conceptual framework and preliminary assessmentPrabashni Reddy
Abt Associates Inc, 55 Wheeler Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Cornea 23:751-61. 2004..To develop a conceptual framework for analyzing the economic burden of dry eye and a preliminary assessment of key factors that contribute to that burden...
- Improvement of corneal barrier function by the P2Y(2) agonist INS365 in a rat dry eye modelT Fujihara
Santen Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Nara Research and Development Center, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42:96-100. 2001..Accordingly, the effects of such an agonist INS365 on these parameters were characterized in a rat dry eye model...
- [A new approach for better comprehension of diseases of the ocular surface]C Baudouin
Centre National d Ophtalmologie des Quinze Vingts, Paris, France
J Fr Ophtalmol 30:239-46. 2007....
- Autologous serum eye drops for ocular surface disordersG Geerling
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23538, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 88:1467-74. 2004..In view of legislative restrictions and based upon the literature reviewed here a preliminary standard operating procedure for the manufacture of serum eye drops is proposed...
- Latanoprost rescues retinal neuro-glial cells from apoptosis by inhibiting caspase-3, which is mediated by p44/p42 mitogen-activated protein kinaseYoriko Nakanishi
Division of Ophthalmology, Department of Organs Therapeutics, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 2 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Exp Eye Res 83:1108-17. 2006..05), but not of Akt. Taken together, the present findings suggest that latanoprost rescues retinal neurons and/or glial cells from apoptosis, which is probably mediated by p44/p42 MAPK through caspase-3 inhibition...
- Conjunctival and corneal reactions in rabbits following short- and repeated exposure to preservative-free tafluprost, commercially available latanoprost and 0.02% benzalkonium chlorideH Liang
Department of Toxicology, Faculty of Biological and Pharmacological Sciences, University Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Br J Ophthalmol 92:1275-82. 2008..To compare the conjunctival and corneal reactions of commercially available solution of latanoprost (Xalatan) and preservative-free (PF) tafluprost in rabbits...
- Flow cytometric analysis of inflammatory markers in KCS: 6-month treatment with topical cyclosporin AF Brignole
Laboratory of Immunohematology and the. Department of Ophthalmology, , APHP, , Boulogne, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42:90-5. 2001..This study confirms that cyclosporin A may be efficient in reducing conjunctival inflammation in moderate to severe KCS and is consistent with clinical results in this indication...
- Trehalose protects corneal epithelial cells from death by dryingT Matsuo
Department of Ophthalmology, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama City 700 8558, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 85:610-2. 2001..This study was designed to examine whether trehalose could protect corneal epithelial cells in culture from death by desiccation in order to test trehalose as a potential new eye drop for dry eye syndrome...
- Lactoferrin protects against UV-B irradiation-induced corneal epithelial damage in ratsT Fujihara
Santen Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd Nara Research and Development Center, Ikoma shi, Japan
Cornea 19:207-11. 2000..To investigate the protective effect of lactoferrin containing eyedrops against UV-B-induced corneal damage in vivo, we examined lactoferrin efficacy in a rat UV-B keratitis model...
- The effects of cidofovir 1% with and without cyclosporin a 1% as a topical treatment of acute adenoviral keratoconjunctivitis: a controlled clinical pilot studyJost Hillenkamp
The Eye Hospital, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Ophthalmology 109:845-50. 2002..To evaluate the efficacy of cidofovir 1% eyedrops with and without cyclosporin A 1% eyedrops as a treatment of acute adenoviral keratoconjunctivitis (AKC)...
- Efficacy of topical cyclosporin 0.05% in the treatment of posterior blepharitisMichael Rubin
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60605, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 22:47-53. 2006..These findings should be further evaluated in large-scale, controlled, clinical trials...
- Eye mucosa: an efficient vaccine delivery route for inducing protective immunityKyoung Yul Seo
Institute for Vision Research, Department of Ophthalmology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Immunol 185:3610-9. 2010..On the basis of these findings, we propose that the eyedrop route is an alternative to mucosal routes for administering vaccines...
- Efficacy of topical cyclosporine A 2% in prevention of graft rejection in high-risk keratoplasty: a randomized controlled trialRajesh Sinha
Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 110029, India
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 248:1167-72. 2010..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of topical cyclosporine A 2% in the prevention of graft rejection in high-risk keratoplasty...
- ESCRS Binkhorst lecture 2002: Pseudophakic preservative maculopathyKensaku Miyake
Shohzankai Medical Foundation, Miyake Eye Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:1800-10. 2003....
- Effects of benzalkonium chloride-preserved, polyquad-preserved, and sofZia-preserved topical glaucoma medications on human ocular epithelial cellsDavid A Ammar
Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, 80045, USA
Adv Ther 27:837-45. 2010..Substitution of BAK with polyquad or sofZia resulted in significantly higher percentages of live conjunctival and corneal cells. Further studies are needed to understand the- clinical implications of these findings...
- The cytotoxic effects of preserved and preservative-free prostaglandin analogs on human corneal and conjunctival epithelium in vitro and the distribution of benzalkonium chloride homologs in ocular surface tissues in vivoPertti Pellinen
Santen Oy, Tampere, Finland
Curr Eye Res 37:145-54. 2012To investigate the cytotoxicity of benzalkonium chloride (BAC)-containing ophthalmic solutions of prostaglandin analogs (latanoprost, travoprost, bimatoprost, and preservative-free (PF) tafluprost), BAC mixture (BACmix) and BAC homologs ..
- Twenty-four-hour ocular hypotensive effects of 0.0015% tafluprost and 0.005% latanoprost in healthy subjectsHideki Mochizuki
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Graduate School of Biomedical Science, Hiroshima University, Minami Ku, Hiroshima, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 54:286-90. 2010..To compare the intraocular pressure (IOP) reduction over 24 h achieved with tafluprost (0.0015%) with that achieved with latanoprost (0.005%)...
- Topical 2% cyclosporine A in preservative-free artificial tears for the treatment of vernal keratoconjunctivitisAdil Kilic
Department of Opthalmology, Tatvan Military Hospital, Turkey
Can J Ophthalmol 41:693-8. 2006..A double-masked, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate the short-term efficacy and safety of topical 2% cyclosporine A in preservative-free artificial tears for patients with vernal keratoconjunctivitis...
- Clinical review: topical ophthalmic use of cyclosporin ACanan Asli Utine
The Ocular Surface Diseases and Dry Eye Clinic, The Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 18:352-61. 2010..This article aims to evaluate the peer-reviewed published scientific literature and to define well-established uses of CsA eyedrops in the field of ocular surface diseases...
- German register for glaucoma patients with dry eye. I. Basic outcome with respect to dry eyeCarl Erb
Ophthalmology Department, Schlosspark Clinic, Heubnerweg 2, 14059, Berlin, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:1593-601. 2008..The purpose of this register was to determine the links between glaucoma, age, concomitant disease, medication, and dry eye in a large group of glaucoma patients...
- Cyclosporine A 1% eye drops for the treatment of subepithelial infiltrates after adenoviral keratoconjunctivitisBennie H Jeng
Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Cornea 30:958-61. 2011....
- A comparison of vitamin a and cyclosporine a 0.05% eye drops for treatment of dry eye syndromeEun Chul Kim
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Am J Ophthalmol 147:206-213.e3. 2009..To compare the efficacy of vitamin A (retinyl palmitate) and cyclosporine A 0.05% eye drops in treating patients with dry eye disease...
- Minimal clinically important difference for the ocular surface disease indexKimberly L Miller
ICON Clinical Research, 188 Embarcadero, Ste 200, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 128:94-101. 2010....
- Acupuncture for dry eye: a multicentre randomised controlled trial with active comparison intervention (artificial tear drop) using a mixed method approach protocolTae Hun Kim
Acupuncture, Moxibustion and Meridian Research Centre, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon, South Korea
Trials 11:107. 2010..Therefore, this study was designed both to avoid the flaws of the existing trials and to assess the effectiveness, cost-effectiveness and qualitative characteristics of acupuncture treatment for dry eye...
- Evaluation of the cytotoxic effects of ophthalmic solutions containing benzalkonium chloride on corneal epithelium using an organotypic 3-D modelSu Khoh-Reiter
Drug Safety Research and Development, Pfizer Inc, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
BMC Ophthalmol 9:5. 2009Benzalkonium chloride (BAC) is a common preservative used in ophthalmic solutions. The aim of this study was to compare the cytotoxic effects of BAC-containing ophthalmic solutions with a BAC-free ophthalmic solution using an organotypic ..
- Occludin gene expression as an early in vitro sign for mild eye irritation assessmentMarisa Meloni
VitroScreen, In Vitro Research Laboratories, Milano, Italy
Toxicol In Vitro 24:276-85. 2010....
- Ocular preservatives: associated risks and newer optionsIndu Pal Kaur
University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Cutan Ocul Toxicol 28:93-103. 2009..Reasons for discontinuing traditional preservatives and the need for less-toxic molecules are discussed at length, along with newer options coming up in this area...
- Ocular symptoms and signs with preserved and preservative-free glaucoma medicationsN Jaenen
UZ Sint Rafael, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Ophthalmol 17:341-9. 2007..To compare the prevalence of side effects between eyedrops with or without preservatives, in terms of subjective symptoms and objective signs in patients with open-angle glaucoma...
- Locally administered ocular corticosteroids: benefits and risksCharles N J McGhee
Discipline of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Drug Saf 25:33-55. 2002..This extensive review assesses the therapeutic benefits of locally administered ocular corticosteroids in the context of the risks of adverse effects...
- A comparison of the long-term effects of dorzolamide 2% and brinzolamide 1%, each added to timolol 0.5%, on retrobulbar hemodynamics and intraocular pressure in open-angle glaucoma patientsAntonio Martinez
Glaucoma, Instituto Gallego de Oftalmologia, Santiago de Compostela, La Coruna, Spain
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 25:239-48. 2009..To compare the effect on the retrobulbar hemodynamics and intraocular pressure (IOP) of dorzolamide 2% and brinzolamide 1%, each added to timolol 0.5% in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG)...
- Are multidose over-the-counter artificial tears adequately preserved?Colin Charnock
Department of Health Sciences, Oslo University College, Oslo, Norway
Cornea 25:432-7. 2006..Based on the challenge test outlined in the European Pharmacopoeia, products were tested in their original containers to see whether their component preservative had sufficient activity...
- An objective evaluation of eyedrop instillation in patients with glaucomaJennifer L Stone
Wilmer Eye Institute, The Johns Hopkins University, 6115 Falls Rd, Third Floor, Baltimore, MD 21209 2226, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 127:732-6. 2009..To evaluate the performance of patients with ocular hypertension and glaucoma who are experienced in the instillation of topical ocular hypotensive medications...
- Effects of sequential artificial tear and cyclosporine emulsion therapy on conjunctival goblet cell density and transforming growth factor-beta2 productionStephen C Pflugfelder
Ocular Surface Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Cornea 27:64-9. 2008..To evaluate the effects of sequential treatment with artificial tears and cyclosporine emulsion on conjunctival goblet cell density and production of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta2 in patients with dry eye disease...
- Changes in ocular surface caused by antiglaucomatous eyedrops: prospective, randomised study for the comparison of 0.5% timolol v 0. 12% unoprostoneJ Shimazaki
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College, Chiba, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 84:1250-4. 2000..A beta blocker (0.5% timolol) and a novel prostaglandin F(2alpha) metabolite related drug (0.12% unoprostone) were examined in a prospective, randomised fashion...
- Time to onset and duration of action of the antihistamine bepotastine besilate ophthalmic solutions 1.0% and 1.5% in allergic conjunctivitis: a phase III, single-center, prospective, randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled, conjunctival allergen chaMark B Abelson
Ora, Inc, Andover, Massachusetts 01810, USA
Clin Ther 31:1908-21. 2009..Based on a history of clinical effectiveness and tolerability of oral bepotastine besilate in the treatment of allergic symptoms, bepotastine besilate is being tested as a potential ophthalmic medication for allergic conjunctivitis...
- The pathology of dry eye: the interaction between the ocular surface and lacrimal glandsM E Stern
Department of Biological Sciences, Allergan, Inc, Irvine, CA 92713 9534, USA
Cornea 17:584-9. 1998....
- Topical azithromycin therapy for meibomian gland dysfunction: clinical response and lipid alterationsGary N Foulks
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Science, University of Louisville, 301 E Muhammad Ali Blvd, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Cornea 29:781-8. 2010....
- Acute corneal epithelial change after instillation of benzalkonium chloride evaluated using a newly developed in vivo corneal transepithelial electric resistance measurement methodMasafumi Uematsu
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan
Ophthalmic Res 39:308-14. 2007..Acute corneal permeability change after instillation of benzalkonium chloride (BAC) was evaluated using a newly developed in vivo corneal transepithelial electric resistance (TER) measurement method...
- Dry eye in diabetic patientsIgor Kaiserman
Department of Ophthalmology, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Ophthalmol 139:498-503. 2005..To compare the prevalence of keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) in a prospective cohort of 22,382 diabetic patients with that in the general population...
- Thermosetting gels with modulated gelation temperature for ophthalmic use: the rheological and gamma scintigraphic studiesGang Wei
School of Pharmacy, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, Shenyang 110016, China
J Control Release 83:65-74. 2002..However, no further improvement in the ocular retention was observed when adding HA-Na into the thermosetting gel due to the substantially decreased gel strength...
- Corneal punctate staining with latanoprost, bimatoprost, and travoprost in healthy subjectsWilliam C Stewart
Pharmaceutical Research Network, Charleston, SC 29412 2464, USA
J Glaucoma 12:475-9. 2003..To evaluate short-term conjunctival and corneal punctate staining with latanoprost, bimatoprost, and travoprost in healthy individuals...
- Short-term effect of latanoprost and timolol eye drops on tear fluid and the ocular surface in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma and ocular hypertensionJ Thygesen
Department of Ophthalmology, Vejle Sygehus, Denmark
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 78:37-44. 2000..To investigate and compare the short term effects of topical latanoprost and timolol on the tear fluid and ocular surface condition in patients with bilateral primary open angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension...
- Ocular penetration and pharmacokinetics of topical gatifloxacin 0.3% and moxifloxacin 0.5% ophthalmic solutions after keratoplastyEdward J Holland
Cincinnati Eye Institute, Edgewood, KY, USA
Cornea 27:314-9. 2008To compare the corneal and aqueous penetration and pharmacokinetics of gatifloxacin 0.3% and moxifloxacin 0.5% ophthalmic solutions and their effect on corneal reepithelialization after penetrating keratoplasty.
- A comparison of cyclosporine 0.05% ophthalmic emulsion versus vehicle in Chinese patients with moderate to severe dry eye disease: an eight-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, parallel-group trialMinjie Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, Eye and ENT Hospital of Fudan University, Shanghai, China
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 26:361-6. 2010..The goals of this study were to compare the efficacy and safety profile of topical cyclosporine 0.05% versus vehicle in Chinese patients with moderate to severe dry eye disease...
- Comparison between two cyclooxygenase inhibitors in an experimental dry eye model in albino rabbitsAmany Hassan Mohamed El-Shazly
Ocular Pharmacology Department, Research Institute of Ophthalmology, Giza, Egypt
Acta Pharm 58:163-73. 2008..The use of selective COX-2 inhibitor, nimesulide, is preferred to avoid local and systemic side effects which may occur with the use of the nonselective COX inhibitor, ketorolac...
- Efficient intraocular penetration of topical anti-TNF-alpha single-chain antibody (ESBA105) to anterior and posterior segment without penetration enhancerMichael Ottiger
ESBATech AG, Schlieren, Switzerland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:779-86. 2009..This study was designed to characterize ocular penetration pathways of ESBA105, a topically administered single-chain antibody (scFv) against tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha, to the anterior and posterior segment of the eye...
- New vehicle based on a microemulsion for topical ocular administration of dexamethasoneSilvia Ligorio Fialho
Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Technology, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 32:626-32. 2004..The present study describes the development and characterization of an oil-in-water microemulsion containing dexamethasone and the evaluation of its pharmacokinetics in rabbits after topical ocular application...
- Preservative use in topical glaucoma medicationsCharles S Tressler
Pfizer Inc, New York, New York 10017, USA
Ocul Surf 9:140-58. 2011..Individual clinical trials have shown that exposure to BAK concentrations contained in ophthalmic solutions does not produce adverse sequelae in the majority of glaucoma patients, but concerns continue with regard ..
- Impact of deep freezing on the stability of 25 mg/ml vancomycin ophthalmic solutionsV Sautou-Miranda
Laboratoire de Pharmacie Clinique et Biotechnique, Faculte de Pharmacie, BP38, Place Henri Dunant, 63001, Clermont Ferrand Cedex, France
Int J Pharm 234:205-12. 2002For the treatment of certain eye infections, ophthalmic solutions 'laced' with 25 mg/ml vancomycin are sometimes prepared...
- Evaluation of calcium dobesilate for its anti-cataract potential in experimental animal modelsT Velpandian
Department of Ocular Pharmacology and Pharmacy, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 32:171-9. 2010..Anti-cataract activity may be due to its antioxidant as well as aldose reductase inhibitor properties. Further studies are in progress to evaluate its clinical efficacy in diabetic cataract...
- Performance profile of sodium hyaluronate in patients with lipid tear deficiency: randomised, double-blind, controlled, exploratory studyP Prabhasawat
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Br J Ophthalmol 91:47-50. 2007..To assess the short-term efficacy of hypotonic 0.18% sodium hyaluronate in patients with evaporative tear-sufficient dry eye due to lipid tear deficiency (LTD)...
- Effect of an oil-in-water emulsion on the tear physiology of patients with mild to moderate dry eyeSantosh Khanal
Department of Vision Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Cornea 26:175-81. 2007..To determine the effect of an oil-in-water emulsion eye drop compared with a conventional dry eye supplement (hypromellose) on tear physiology in dry eye...
- Effect of artificial tears on tear stress testSantosh Khanal
Department of Vision Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, 70 Cowcaddens Road, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Optom Vis Sci 85:732-9. 2008..To determine the effect of two artificial tears of different viscosities in the relief of environmental dry eye induced with a novel tear stress test (TST)...
- Effect of 5-S-GAD on UV-B-induced cataracts in ratsHiroyoshi Kawada
Department of Ophthalmology, Kanazawa Medical University, Ishikawa, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 53:531-5. 2009..This is a report of an investigation of the effect of 5-S-GAD (eyedrops) on UVB-induced cataracts in rats...
- Topical cyclosporin A in the management of vernal keratoconjunctivitisV Gupta
Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Eye (Lond) 15:39-41. 2001..To study the efficacy of topical cyclosporin A in children with vernal keratoconjunctivitis in a prospective randomised double-masked trial...
- The comparison of efficacies of topical corticosteroids and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drops on dry eye patients: a clinical and immunocytochemical studyAvni Murat Avunduk
Louisiana State University, School of Medicine, LSU Eye Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 136:593-602. 2003....
- The effects of beta-blockers on ocular blood flow in patients with primary open angle glaucoma: a color Doppler imaging studyR Altan-Yaycioglu
Department of Ophthalmology, Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Turkey
Eur J Ophthalmol 11:37-46. 2001..To evaluate the effects of four commonly used beta-blockers on ocular blood flow in patients with primary open angle glaucoma (POAG)...
- Comparative randomised active drug controlled clinical trial of a herbal eye drop in computer vision syndromePranab Kr Chatterjee
Susrut Eye Foundation and Research Centre, Kolkata
J Indian Med Assoc 103:397-8. 2005..01) and almost identical results were observed with tears plus (difference was not statistically significant). Itone is considered to be a useful drug in computer vision syndrome...
- Suppression of experimental immune-mediated blepharoconjunctivitis in Brown Norway rats by topical application of FK506Koji Nishino
Department of Ophthalmology, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Japan
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 240:137-43. 2002..We investigated the possible inhibition of EC in BN rats by topical application of FK506, which is an immunosuppressive agent that mainly targets T cells...
- The Effect of instilled fluorescein solution volume on the values and repeatability of TBUT measurementsMichael E Johnson
School of Optometry and Vision Sciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Cornea 24:811-7. 2005....
- Effects of acetylcysteine and dexamethasone on experimental corneal wounds in rabbitsA A Sarchahi
Department of Clinical Studies, University of Shiraz, Shiraz, Iran
Ophthalmic Res 40:41-8. 2008..It is concluded that treatment of the eyes by a combination of 3% acetylcysteine and 0.1% dexamethasone (if used from the first day of ulceration) may retard the corneal wound healing in rabbits...
- Comparison between Ringer's lactate and balanced salt solution on postoperative outcomes after phacoemulsfication: a randomized clinical trialViraj Vasavada
IOL Research Centre, Raghudeep Eye Clinic, Memnagar, Ahmedabad, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 57:191-5. 2009..Setting: Iladevi cataract and IOL research center, Ahmedabad, India...
- Multicenter clinical evaluation of bepotastine besilate ophthalmic solutions 1.0% and 1.5% to treat allergic conjunctivitisThomas T Macejko
Eye Care Associates of Greater Cincinnati, Inc, Fairfield, Ohio, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 150:122-127.e5. 2010To evaluate the effectiveness of bepotastine besilate ophthalmic solutions 1.0% and 1...
- A 12-week, randomized, double-masked study of fixed combination latanoprost/timolol versus latanoprost or timolol monotherapyPaul Palmberg
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Eur J Ophthalmol 20:708-18. 2010..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of fixed combination latanoprost/timolol versus latanoprost or timolol monotherapy...
- The effect of ketotifen on inflammatory markers in allergic conjunctivitis: an open, uncontrolled studyAndrea P Martin
Dpto Bioquímica Clínica, Facultad Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Argentina
BMC Ophthalmol 3:2. 2003..05% on biochemical markers of inflammation on conjunctival cells in patients with AC...
- Efficacy of olopatadine HCI 0.1%, ketotifen fumarate 0.025%, epinastine HCI 0.05%, emedastine 0.05% and fluorometholone acetate 0.1% ophthalmic solutions for seasonal allergic conjunctivitis: a placebo-controlled environmental trialMehmet Borazan
Department of Ophthalmology, Baskent University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Ophthalmol 87:549-54. 2009..the clinical efficacy and ocular surface variables of olopatadine, ketotifen fumarate, epinastine, emedastine and fluorometholone acetate ophthalmic solutions in preventing the signs and symptoms of seasonal allergic conjunctivitis (SAC).
- Rate of bacterial eradication by ophthalmic solutions of fourth-generation fluoroquinolonesMichelle C Callegan
Molecular Pathogenesis of Eye Infections Research Center, Dean A McGee Eye Institute, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Adv Ther 26:447-54. 2009..This study was designed to compare the kill rates of ophthalmic solutions of fourth-generation fluoroquinolones against isolates of common ocular bacterial pathogens.
- Chitosan based nanocarriers for indomethacin ocular deliveryAlia A Badawi
Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy, Pharmacy College, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Arch Pharm Res 31:1040-9. 2008..Therefore, CS nanocarriers developed in this study were able to contact intimately with the cornea providing slow gradual IM release with long-term drug level thereby increasing delivery to both external and internal ocular tissues...
- A pre-application drop containing carboxymethylcellulose can reduce multipurpose solution-induced corneal stainingJerry R Paugh
Southern California College of Optometry, Fullerton, Fullerton, California 92831, USA
Optom Vis Sci 84:65-71. 2007..In vitro data suggest that carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) may neutralize polyhexanides. The purpose of this investigation was to determine whether a pre-application drop of CMC reduces polyhexanide staining in vivo...
- Videotaped evaluation of eyedrop instillation in glaucoma patients with visual impairment or moderate to severe visual field lossAmy L Hennessy
Glaucoma Specialists, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Ophthalmology 117:2345-52. 2010..Objectively evaluate the ability of visually disabled glaucoma patients to successfully administer a single drop onto their eye...
- Efficacy and safety of ketotifen eye drops in the treatment of seasonal allergic conjunctivitisM Kidd
Department of General Practice, The University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Br J Ophthalmol 87:1206-11. 2003..These multiple, pharmacological mechanisms provided the rationale for assessing the efficacy and safety of ketotifen 0.025% eye drops in subjects with seasonal allergic conjunctivitis (SAC) in an environmental setting...
- Cytotoxicity of ophthalmic solutions with and without preservatives to human corneal endothelial cells, epithelial cells and conjunctival epithelial cellsMasahiko Ayaki
Department of Ophthalmology, Fujigaoka Hospital, Showa University School of Medicine, Aobaku Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 36:553-9. 2008The cytotoxicity of a range of commercial ophthalmic solutions in the presence and absence of preservatives was assessed in human corneal endothelial cells (HCECs), corneal epithelia and conjunctival epithelia using in vitro techniques.
- Preserved and unpreserved 12 anti-allergic ophthalmic solutions and ocular surface toxicity: in vitro assessment in four cultured corneal and conjunctival epithelial cell linesMasahiko Ayaki
Department of Ophthalmology, Saitama National Hospital
Biocontrol Sci 15:143-8. 2010In the present study, we evaluated the cytotoxicity of anti-allergic ophthalmic solutions in cultured corneal and conjunctival cells, namely SIRC (rabbit corneal epithelium), BCE C/D-1b (bovine corneal epithelial cells), RC-1 (rabbit ..
- Precorneal residence time of artificial tears measured in dry eye subjectsJerry R Paugh
Southern California College of Optometry, 2575 Yorba Linda Boulevard, Fullerton, CA 92831, USA
Optom Vis Sci 85:725-31. 2008..The purpose of this investigation was to measure the precorneal residence time of saline and five marketed artificial tears in dry eye subjects using fluorometry...
- Rapid anti-inflammatory action of azelastine eyedrops for ongoing allergic reactionsGiorgio Ciprandi
Allergy and Immunology Clinic, Department of Internal Medicine, Genoa University, Genoa, Italy
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 90:434-8. 2003..Some second-generation antihistamines have anti-inflammatory activities, but the clinical relevance of this property is still unclear...
- Bacterial contamination of ophthalmic solutions used in an extended care facilityDanny H Kauffmann Jokl
Department of Ophthalmology, Westchester Medical Center, New York Medical College, New York, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 91:1308-10. 2007To assess the frequency of contamination of ophthalmic solutions in a long-term care facility and to describe the characteristics of contaminated solutions.
- A review of olopatadine for the treatment of ocular allergyMark B Abelson
Harvard Medical School and Schepens Eye Research Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 5:1979-94. 2004..In the future, a new formulation containing 0.2% olopatadine exhibits a duration of action up to 24 h, supporting once-daily dosing...
- Allergy to ophthalmic preservativesJison Hong
UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, USA
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 9:447-53. 2009..The purpose of the present review is to examine the hypersensitivity reactions to preservatives in topical ophthalmic therapies...
- Comparison of a non-preserved 0.1% T-Gel eye gel (single dose unit) with a preserved 0.1% T-Gel eye gel (multidose) in ocular hypertension and glaucomatous patientsD L Easty
Department of Ophthalmology, Bristol Eye Hospital, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 90:574-8. 2006..This comparative, open design, phase III study was to assess the non-inferiority of the non-preserved T-Gel 0.1% single dose unit (SDU) versus its preserved multidose (MD) reference...
- The dilution of benzalkonium chloride (BAK) in the tear filmMitchell H Friedlaender
Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, California, USA
Adv Ther 23:835-41. 2006....
- Effect of FK506 eye drops on late and delayed-type responses in ocular allergy modelsT Sengoku
Medicinal Biology Research Laboratories, Fujisawa Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Kashima, Yodogawa ku, Osaka, Japan
Clin Exp Allergy 33:1555-60. 2003..It is well-known that FK506 strongly inhibits cytokine production by T cells in vitro. However, less evidence is available from in vivo studies of ocular allergy...
- [Evaluation of effectiveness of Catalin eyedrops in patients with presenile and senile cataract]Jarosław Kociecki
Kliniki Okulistycznej Akademii Medycznej w Poznaniu
Klin Oczna 106:778-82. 2004..Evaluation of effectiveness of Catalin eye drops in inhibition of cataract or eventual influence on regression of actually present opacities...
- Topical cyclosporine inhibits conjunctival epithelial apoptosis in experimental murine keratoconjunctivitis siccaBradley Strong
Ocular Surface Center, Department of Ophthalmology, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cornea 24:80-5. 2005..The purpose of this study is to determine if topical CsA treatment inhibits conjunctival epithelial apoptosis in a murine model of KCS...
- Bromfenac ophthalmic solution 0.09% (Xibrom) for postoperative ocular pain and inflammationEric D Donnenfeld
External Disease Cornea Department, Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital, New York, New York, USA
Ophthalmology 114:1653-62. 2007..To evaluate the efficacy and ocular safety of bromfenac ophthalmic solution 0.09% (Xibrom) for the treatment of postoperative inflammation and reduction of ocular pain in subjects who have undergone cataract extraction (CE)...
- Eudragit RS100 nanosuspensions for the ophthalmic controlled delivery of ibuprofenRosario Pignatello
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Universita degli Studi di Catania, Citta Universitaria, Viale A Doria, 6 95125, Catania, Italy
Eur J Pharm Sci 16:53-61. 2002..Drug levels in the aqueous humour were also higher after application of the nanosuspensions; moreover, IBU-loaded nanosuspensions did not show toxicity on ocular tissues...
- Multilayered amniotic membrane transplantation for severe ulceration of the cornea and scleraK Hanada
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College, Chiba, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 131:324-31. 2001..To examine the efficacy of amniotic membrane transplantation in the treatment of deep corneal and scleral ulcers...
- Corneal and conjunctival changes caused by commonly used glaucoma medicationsRobert J Noecker
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85711, USA
Cornea 23:490-6. 2004..To evaluate the extent of epithelial corneal and conjunctival changes associated with prolonged use of topical glaucoma medications...
- Evaluation of an isotonic tear in combination with topical cyclosporine for the treatment of ocular surface diseaseDavid R Hardten
Minnesota Eye Consultants, Minneapolis, MN 55404, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 23:2083-91. 2007..Irvine, California) improves clinical outcomes when used adjunctively with topical cyclosporine 0.05% (Restasis, Allergan, Inc., Irvine, California) for the treatment of ocular surface disease...
- Corneal endothelial cell protection with a dispersive viscoelastic material and an irrigating solution during phacoemulsification: low-cost versus expensive combinationBarbara Kiss
Department of Ophthalmology, Vienna, Austria
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:733-40. 2003..To evaluate the protective effect on corneal endothelial cells of a low-cost and an expensive combination of a dispersive viscoelastic material and an irrigating solution during phacoemulsification...
Research Grants108 found, 100 shown here
- Transscleral Drug Delivery for Retinal DisordersHenry Edelhauser; Fiscal Year: 2007..These delivery techniques should be safer and more effective than the state of the art. Ultimately, these results will guide us in enhancing drug treatments in ophthalmic practice. ..
- Advanced Imaging for GlaucomaDavid Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Accurate monitoring of glaucoma with OCT will improve treatment decisions regarding surgery or eye drops, both of which are effective but also carry significant side effects and risks. ..
- Advanced Imaging for GlaucomaDavid Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Accurate monitoring of glaucoma with OCT will improve treatment decisions regarding surgery or eye drops, both of which are effective but also carry significant side effects and risks. ..
- Low-Cost Device for Digital Retinal ImagingANN ELSNER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, we will examine the image quality of this low cost LSDC for functions such as angiography. ..
- Ultra-Sonic Non-Contact Tonometer in Glaucoma-IOP ChecksPeter Gross; Fiscal Year: 2005..Phase I of the project will end with a working model of the USNCT that demonstrates the feasibility of the method in a model eye with IOP controlled by intracameral manometry. ..
- Bioartificial Lacrimal GlandSamuel Yiu; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- A Real Time Monitoring System to Measure IOP in GlaucomaDOUG JACKSON; Fiscal Year: 2007..S.Research into our longer term goal of combining Assenti's Smart IOP monitor with an invivo IOP reducing mechanism that can lead to autonomous control of the entire system and completely eliminate patient intervention. ..
- ANTIMICROBIAL PEPTIDES TO TREAT BACTERIAL KERATITISKATHRYN CRAWFORD; Fiscal Year: 2004..determine the chemical and toxicological suitability of these molecules for use as potential antimicrobial ophthalmic solutions. The Specific Aims of Phase I are to 1): Conduct pre-formulation studies designed to develop suitable ..
- TIME RELEASE OPHTHALMIC DRUG DELIVERY INSERTBRUCE COHAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..proposed commercial application: not available ..
- Naltrexone as a Novel Treatment for Diabetic KeratopathyIAN ZAGON; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed use of biotherapy with NTX is an innovative approach whereby the patient's own growth regulatory mechanisms are manipulated to correct complications from diabetes. ..
- Gene Gun Technology, Opioids, and Corneal DiseasesIAN ZAGON; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultimately, such data can be employed to design molecular strategies to remedy visual dysfunction. ..
- COLLABORATIVE INITIAL GLAUCOMA TREATMENT STUDYHenry Jampel; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- EARLY DETECTION OF GLAUCOMA DAMAGEHenry Jampel; Fiscal Year: 2004..This assessment of the RTA and NFA will help to establish their utility as outcome measures for clinical management of glaucoma, epidemiological research, and clinical trials. ..
- GLAUCOMA SURGICAL OUTCOMES STUDYHenry Jampel; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results of the study may allow physicians to reduce the morbidity of glaucoma surgery by altering their indications for surgery, surgical technique, and postoperative follow-up. ..
- PREVALENCE AND IMPACT OF GLAUCOMA AMONG THE VERY ELDERLYDavid Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, the interactions between comorbidities (including cognitive deficits) and visual field loss will be explored. ..
- PATHOGENESIS OF GLAUCOMATOUS OPTIC NERVE DAMAGEHARRY ALAN QUIGLEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..To complete the project in 2 years, we eliminated from the 5 year proposal Hypotheses 7, 8, 9, and 11. ..
- Multiethnic Pediatric Eye Disease Study (MEPEDS)Rohit Varma; Fiscal Year: 2007..MEPEDS will also be studying selected demographic, biological and behavioral risk factors associated with these diseases and the consequences of these diseases from a health related quality of life perspective. ..
- Localized modulation of RPE P-gp/MRP activity for back-of-the-eye drug deliverySoumyajit Majumdar; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results from this research project may thus improve treatment outcomes for posterior chamber ocular diseases such as endophthalmitis, diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, retinoblastoma and other intraocular tumors. ..
- Dry Eye in PostmenopauseKelly K Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project is a unique blend of interdisciplinary clinical and basic research, which may lead to the translation of findings to clinical care in dry eye disease. ..
- Mechanisms of Inflammation and Vision Loss in EndophthalmitisMichelle C Callegan; Fiscal Year: 2010..By identifying the bacterial and host factors important in disease, we can exploit these targets for the development of new treatment strategies that will increase the likelihood of preventing blindness following endophthalmitis. ..
- PATHOGENIC MECHANISMS OF BACILLUS CEREUS ENDOPHTHALMITISMichelle Callegan; Fiscal Year: 2003..Identification and characterization of important virulence factors will provide the basis on which information-based therapeutic agents are developed in order to prevent vision loss during B. cereus endophthalmitis. ..
- OCULAR HYPERTENSION TREATMENT STUDY (OHTS)Donald Budenz; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Pathogenesis & Chemotherapy of Bacillus EndophthalmitisMichelle Callegan; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- THE PATHOGENESIS OF GLAUCOMATOUS OPTIC NERVE DAMAGEHarry Quigley; Fiscal Year: 1980
- PATHOGENESIS OF CORNEAL EDEMA AFTER INTRAOCULAR SURGERYHenry Edelhauser; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- PATHOGENESIS OF CORNEAL EDEMA AFTER INTRAOCULAR SURGERYHenry Edelhauser; Fiscal Year: 2006....