Genomes and Genes
chinese herbal drugs
Summary: Chinese herbal or plant extracts which are used as drugs to treat diseases or promote general well-being. The concept does not include synthesized compounds manufactured in China.
Publications269 found, 100 shown here
- New developments in the chemistry and biology of the bioactive constituents of TanshenXihong Wang
Natural Products Research Laboratories, School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Med Res Rev 27:133-48. 2007..This compound might serve as a lead for developing promising antibreast cancer clinical trials candidates...
- Anti-amnestic and anti-aging effects of ginsenoside Rg1 and Rb1 and its mechanism of actionYong Cheng
Institute of Materia Medica, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100050, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 26:143-9. 2005..These differences may attribute to their different chemical structure. Rg1 is panaxtriol with two sugars, while Rb1 is panaxtriol with four sugars...
- Ameliorating effects of compounds derived from Salvia miltiorrhiza root extract on microcirculatory disturbance and target organ injury by ischemia and reperfusionJing Yan Han
Department of Integration of Chinese and Western Medicine, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Peking University, Beijing, China
Pharmacol Ther 117:280-95. 2008..This review will summarize the ameliorating effect of compounds derived from SMRE on microcirculatory disturbance and target organ injury after I/R and will provide a new perspective on remedy with multiple drugs...
- Chemical analysis of Radix Astragali (Huangqi) in China: a comparison with its adulterants and seasonal variationsXia Q Ma
Department of Biology and Biotechnology Research Institute, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong, China
J Agric Food Chem 50:4861-6. 2002..membranaceus var.mongholicus changed according to seasonal variation and age of the plant. The chemical composition of different species of Astragalus would provide useful information for the quality control of Radix Astragali...
- Effect of astragaloside IV on T, B lymphocyte proliferation and peritoneal macrophage function in miceYan Ping Wang
Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 23:263-6. 2002..To investigate the effect of astragaloside IV (ASI) on T, B lymphocyte proliferation, antibody production, and cytokines produced by murine peritoneal macrophages...
- A study on the immune receptors for polysaccharides from the roots of Astragalus membranaceus, a Chinese medicinal herbBao Mei Shao
Department of Immunology, School of Basic Medical Science, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 320:1103-11. 2004..These results may have important implications for our understanding on the molecular mechanisms of immunopotentiating polysaccharides from medicinal herbs...
- Effect of sugar positions in ginsenosides and their inhibitory potency on Na+/K+-ATPase activityRonald J Y Chen
Graduate Institute of Biotechnology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung 40227, Taiwan, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 30:61-9. 2009....
- Anti-inflammatory effect of Houttuynia cordata injectionH M Lu
Research Center for Modernization of Chinese Herbal Medicine, College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Central South University, Changsha 410083, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 104:245-9. 2006..This drug was also effective in inhibiting xylene induced ear edema, and the percentage of inhibition came to 50% at dose of 80 microl/20 g. The results clearly indicate that HCI have anti-inflammatory activity...
- The induction of human superoxide dismutase and catalase in vivo: a fundamentally new approach to antioxidant therapySally K Nelson
Webb Waring Institute for Cancer, Aging and Antioxidant Research, University of Colorado Denver Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 40:341-7. 2006....
- Studies on the immuno-modulating and antitumor activities of Ganoderma lucidum (Reishi) polysaccharides: functional and proteomic analyses of a fucose-containing glycoprotein fraction responsible for the activitiesYuan Yuan Wang
Laboratory of Bioorganic Chemistry, Institute of Chemistry, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
Bioorg Med Chem 10:1057-62. 2002....
- Rh2 synergistically enhances paclitaxel or mitoxantrone in prostate cancer modelsXiaowei Xie
Prostate Centre at Vancouver General Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Urol 175:1926-31. 2006..We explored the efficacy of the ginsenoside Rh2 and examined its impact on the effective dose of paclitaxel and mitoxantrone in the LNCaP prostate tumor model...
- Efficacy of intra-tumor injection of Kang-Lai-Te in treating transplanted hepatoma in ratsLi Qun Wu
Department of Hepato biliary vascular Surgery, Qingdao University Medical College, Qingdao 266003, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 3:580-4. 2004..The effect of intra-tumor injection of KLT in treating transplanted hepatoma in rats and its advantages and disadvantages were assessed and the possibility of its use in treating patients with liver cancer was evaluated...
- Protective effect of polysaccharides-enriched fraction from Angelica sinensis on hepatic injuryY N Ye
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, China
Life Sci 69:637-46. 2001..AP is more effective in the protection against liver damage induced by acetaminophen, which is associated with the glutathione depletion and nitric oxide synthase activation in the liver...
- Osthole improves aspects of spatial performance in ovariectomized ratsMing Tsuen Hsieh
Institute of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences, China Medical University, Taichung, 404, Taiwan, R O C
Am J Chin Med 32:11-20. 2004..The action mechanism of the effects of osthole on performance deficits was related to the estrogen-like properties and activating the central cholinergic neuronal system...
- Ganoderma lucidum extracts inhibit growth and induce actin polymerization in bladder cancer cells in vitroQing Yi Lu
Center for Human Nutrition, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cancer Lett 216:9-20. 2004....
- Anti-inflammatory activity of herbal medicines: inhibition of nitric oxide production and tumor necrosis factor-alpha secretion in an activated macrophage-like cell lineEunkyue Park
Department of Developmental Neurobiology, New York State Institute for Basic Research in Developmental Disabilities, Staten Island, NY 10314, USA
Am J Chin Med 33:415-24. 2005..These results suggest that aqueous extracts from FS, LJ and HC have anti-inflammatory actions as measured by inhibition of NO production and/or TNF-alpha secretion...
- Suppressive effects of Houttuynia cordata Thunb (Saururaceae) extract on Th2 immune responseJi Sook Lee
Department of Biology, Daejeon University, Daejeon 300 716, South Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 117:34-40. 2008..Houttuynia cordata Thunb (Saururaceae), known as 'E-Sung-Cho' in Korea, has been traditionally used for the treatment of herpes simplex, chronic sinusitis, and allergy...
- Peroxynitrite scavenging activity of lithospermate B from Salvia miltiorrhizaDo You Soung
Department of Pharmacy, Pusan National University, Busan, Korea
J Pharm Pharmacol 55:1427-32. 2003..This study demonstrated that lithospermate B with hydroxyl groups and double bonds exerts an anti-nitration effect by scavenging ONOO-...
- Compound salvia pellet, a traditional Chinese medicine, for the treatment of chronic stable angina pectoris compared with nitrates: a meta-analysisGang Wang
Department of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, 37 Guoxue Street, Chengdu 610 041, P R China
Med Sci Monit 12:SR1-7. 2006..To determine the efficacy and safety of CSP for the treatment of stable angina pectoris (SAP), a meta-analysis was undertaken...
- Induction of apoptosis in prostate cancer cell lines by a flavonoid, baicalinF L Chan
Department of Anatomy, Basic Medical Sciences Building, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Cancer Lett 160:219-28. 2000..The results indicate that baicalin has direct anti-tumor effects on human prostate cancer cells...
- Variation in chemical composition and antibacterial activities of essential oils from two species of Houttuynia THUNBHongmei Lu
Research Center for Modernization of Chinese Herbal Medicine, College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Central South University Changsha 410083, PR China
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 54:936-40. 2006..25 x 10(-3) ml/ml) and Sarcina ureae (MIC = 0.0625 x 10(-3) ml/ml), and had the same activity as the positive control ampicillin sodium...
- A phase I study of ethyl acetate extract of the chinese antirheumatic herb Tripterygium wilfordii hook F in rheumatoid arthritisX Tao
Harold C. Simmons Arthritis Center, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, USA
J Rheumatol 28:2160-7. 2001..CONCLUSION: The EA extract of TWHF at dosages up to 570 mg/day appeared to be safe, and doses > 360 mg/day were associated with clinical benefit in patients with RA...
- Aristolochic acid nephropathy: a worldwide problemFrédéric D Debelle
Department of Nephrology, Dialysis and Renal Transplantation, Erasme Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Kidney Int 74:158-69. 2008..Finally, despite the Food and Drug Administration's warnings concerning the safety of botanical remedies containing AA, these herbs are still sold via the Internet...
- Effects of Tongxinluo-facilitated cellular cardiomyoplasty with autologous bone marrow-mesenchymal stem cells on postinfarct swine heartsHai yan Qian
Department of Cardiology, Fuwai Hospital and Cardiovascular Institute, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100037, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:1416-25. 2007....
- Polygonum cuspidatum, compared with baicalin and berberine, inhibits inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase-2 gene expressions in RAW 264.7 macrophagesKyung Woon Kim
Molecular and Cellular Glycobiology Unit, Department of Biological Science, Sungkyunkwan University, Chunchun Dong 300, Suwon City, Kyunggi Do 440 746, South Korea
Vascul Pharmacol 47:99-107. 2007..7 cell, however, baicalin or berberine did not. From the results, it was concluded that co-treatment with NOS inhibitors and PCWE effectively blocks acute production of NO and inhibits expression of iNOS and COX-2 genes...
- Chemical characteristics of Salvia miltiorrhiza (Danshen) collected from different locations in ChinaGuo Xin Zhong
Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences, University of Macau, Macao SAR, China
J Agric Food Chem 57:6879-87. 2009..miltiorrhiza...
- Steroid-like compounds in Chinese medicines promote blood circulation via inhibition of Na+/K+ -ATPaseRonald J Y Chen
Graduate Institute of Biotechnology National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 31:696-702. 2010....
- Active compounds in Chinese herbs and medicinal animal products which promote blood circulation via inhibition of Na+, K+-ATPaseJason Tc Tzen
Graduate Institute of Biotechnology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
Chang Gung Med J 33:126-36. 2010..Molecular modeling suggests that cardiac glycosides, ginsenosides and MLB presumably bind to the same extracellular pocket of the Na+, K+-ATPase alpha subunit...
- Knowledge modeling and acquisition of traditional Chinese herbal drugs and formulae from textCungen Cao
Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing Group, Key Laboratory of Intelligent Information Processing, Institute of Computing Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
Artif Intell Med 32:3-13. 2004..Experiments show that the system is adequate of extracting knowledge of herbal drugs and formulae from semi-structured text...
- Determination of quinolizidine alkaloids in traditional Chinese herbal drugs by nonaqueous capillary electrophoresisJ Z Song
Chinese Medicinal Material Research Centre and Department of Biology, Chinese University of Hong Kong, China
J Chromatogr A 857:303-11. 1999..applied to the phytochemical analysis of alkaloid extracts from three commonly used traditional Chinese herbal drugs: Sophora flavescens Ait. (Kushen), S. alopecuroides L. (Kudouzi or Kugancao) and S...
- Triptolide, a novel diterpenoid triepoxide from Tripterygium wilfordii Hook. f., suppresses the production and gene expression of pro-matrix metalloproteinases 1 and 3 and augments those of tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases 1 and 2 in human synovialN Lin
Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Beijing
Arthritis Rheum 44:2193-200. 2001..Triptolide's interference with gene expression of proinflammatory cytokines and its known inhibitory effects on PGE2 production are also probably very effective...
- [Advances in the study of tumor angiogenesis and anti-angiogenic Chinese herbal drugs]Xuhui Tao
Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Nanjing 210029, Jiangsu, China
Zhong Yao Cai 26:379-81. 2003
- "Tien-Hsien liquid" can modulate antigen-stimulated cytokine production by T-cells isolated from patients with recurrent aphthous ulcerationsAndy Sun
School of Dentistry, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Chin Med 33:559-71. 2005....
- The effect of Juzen-taiho-to/TJ-48 on the expression of killer-cell immunoglobulin-like receptors (CD158a/b) on peripheral lymphocytes in vitro experimentT Kogure
Department of Integrated Japanese Oriental Medicine, School of Medicine, Gunma University, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Phytomedicine 12:327-32. 2005..These actions contribute to the augmentation of NK cytolytic activity by TJ-48, and might explain, in part, its antitumor effects which has been observed in vivo...
- Urothelial carcinoma associated with the use of a Chinese herb (Aristolochia fangchi)J L Nortier
Department of Nephrology, Hopital Erasme, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
N Engl J Med 342:1686-92. 2000..Because of a manufacturing error, one of the herbs in these pills (Stephania tetrandra) was inadvertently replaced by Aristolochia fangchi, which is nephrotoxic and carcinogenic...
- Preventive effect of Juzen-taiho-to on endometrial carcinogenesis in mice is based on Shimotsu-to constituentKeiko Tagami
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gifu University School of Medicine, 40 Tsukasa Machi, Gifu 500 8705, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 27:156-61. 2004....
- The prescribing of Chinese herbal products in Taiwan: a cross-sectional analysis of the national health insurance reimbursement databaseShu Ching Hsieh
Division of Health Technology Assessment, Center for Drug Evaluation, Taipei, Taiwan
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 17:609-19. 2008..However, the scientific evidence is lacking and there is an urgent requirement for detailed pharmacoepidemiological information on CHP usage. This study was to investigate CHP prescription patterns in Taiwan...
- Pharmacological evaluation of several major ingredients of Chinese herbal medicines in human hepatoma Hep3B cellsC C Chou
Pharmacological Institute, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur J Pharm Sci 19:403-12. 2003..Instead of inducing apoptosis, baicalein inhibits TGF-beta(1)-induced apoptosis via increase in cellular H(2)O(2) formation and NF-kappaB activation in human hepatoma Hep3B cells...
- Ginsenoside Rh(2) enhances antitumour activity and decreases genotoxic effect of cyclophosphamideZhenhua Wang
School of Life Sciences, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, People s Republic of China
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 98:411-5. 2006..Our results suggest that ginsenoside Rh(2) is able to enhance the antitumour activity and decrease the genotoxic effect of cyclophosphamide...
- Astragalus-based Chinese herbs and platinum-based chemotherapy for advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: meta-analysis of randomized trialsMichael McCulloch
University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:419-30. 2006....
- Inhibitory effect of Panax notoginseng on nitric oxide synthase, cyclo-oxygenase-2 and neutrophil functionsUn Ho Jin
Department of Biological Sciences, Sungkyunkwan University, Chunchun dong, Suwon City, Kyunggi Do 440 746, Korea
Phytother Res 21:142-8. 2007..The results indicate that PN exerts antiinflammatory effects related to the inhibition of neutrophil functions and NO and PGE2 production, which could be due to a decreased expression of iNOS and COX-2...
- Antiproliferative ability of a combination regimen of crocodile egg extract, wild radix ginseng and natural Ganoderma lucidum on acute myelogenous leukemiaChung Hin Chui
Central Laboratory of the Institute of Molecular Technology for Drug Discovery and Synthesis, State Key Laboratory of Chinese Medicine and Molecular Pharmacology, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Kowloon, Hong Kong, P R China
Oncol Rep 16:1313-6. 2006..An in vivo toxicity test revealed that no acute toxicity was observed after feeding the rats a high dosage of the CGG extract. Further animal model tests are necessary to investigate the possible chronic toxicity of the CGG extract...
- Cardiovascular pharmacological effects of bisbenzylisoquinoline alkaloid derivativesJia Qing Qian
Faculty of Pharmacology, Tongji Medical College of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 23:1086-92. 2002..The antiarrhythmic effect of daurisoline is more potent than that of dauricine...
- Studies on the toxicity of Aristolochia manshuriensis (Guanmuton)Shi Lin Hu
Institute of Chinese Material Medica, China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100700, China
Toxicology 198:195-201. 2004..2) To investigate the possibility of reducing toxicity of the herb combined with Rhizoma Coptidis (Huanglian)...
- Randomized controlled trial assessing a traditional Chinese medicine remedy in the treatment of primary dysmenorrheaStephen Kennedy
Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Oxford, Oxford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Fertil Steril 86:762-4. 2006..However, some efficacy parameters suggested possible superiority of the active treatment and so a larger study needs to be performed to determine whether this remedy has a role in the treatment of dysmenorrhea...
- Immunomodulating effects of "tien-hsien liquid" on peripheral blood mononuclear cells and T-lymphocytes from patients with recurrent aphthous ulcerationsAndy Sun
School of Dentistry and Institute of Microbiology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Chin Med 32:221-34. 2004..These results suggest that THL can modulate the antigen-stimulated PR of PBMC and T-cells from RAU patients. Therefore, it may be a potential immunoceutical agent for treatment of RAU...
- Anti-hyperalgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of the modified Chinese herbal formula Huo Luo Xiao Ling Dan (HLXL) in ratsLixing Lao
Center for Integrative Medicine, School of Medicine, Department of Family Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 2200 Kernan Drive, 3rd Floor, Baltimore, MD 21207, USA
Am J Chin Med 34:833-44. 2006..The data suggest that HLXL dosage-dependently attenuates CFA-induced inflammation and hyperalgesia, at least in part by inhibiting noxious transmission at the dorsal horn of the spinal cord...
- Variability in the traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) diagnoses and herbal prescriptions provided by three TCM practitioners for 40 patients with rheumatoid arthritisGrant G Zhang
Center for Integrative Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21207, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:415-21. 2005....
- Triptolide, a novel immunosuppressive and anti-inflammatory agent purified from a Chinese herb Tripterygium wilfordii Hook FB J Chen
Bone Marrow Transplantation Program, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3289, 250 Carl Building, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 42:253-65. 2001..Currently available data suggest that triptolide is a promising immunosuppressive and anti-inflammatory agent and should be explored further in autoimmune diseases and transplantation...
- Magnesium lithospermate B possesses inhibitory activity on Na+,K+-ATPase and neuroprotective effects against ischemic strokeJason Tc Tzen
Graduate Institute of Biotechnology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan 402 China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 28:609-15. 2007..Moreover, we wanted to test if MLB may provide neuroprotection against ischemic stroke as observed for cardiac glycosides...
- Meta-analysis of traditional Chinese patent medicine for ischemic strokeBo Wu
Stroke Clinical Research Unit, Department of Neurology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan Province, PR China
Stroke 38:1973-9. 2007..A large number of traditional Chinese patent medicine (TCPM) are widely used for ischemic stroke in China. The aim of this study was to systematically review the existing clinical evidence on TCPM for ischemic stroke...
- Inhibition of tumor growth and tumor metastasis by a Chinese herbal formula--ZYD88, in an animal model with metastatic Lewis lung carcinomaYan Wen Duan
Changsha Cihang Research Institute of Materia Medica, Changsha, Hunan 410011, China
Oncol Rep 17:1391-7. 2007..These results indicate that ZYD88 possesses significant anti-angiogenic, anti-tumor and anti-metastatic effects in this animal model, and warrants further investigation...
- Acetone extract of Angelica sinensis inhibits proliferation of human cancer cells via inducing cell cycle arrest and apoptosisYeung Leung Cheng
School of Pharmacy, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei 114, Taiwan, ROC
Life Sci 75:1579-94. 2004..Extracts obtained from different methods of fractionation might possess distinct bioactivity. These results prompted us to further evaluate the in vivo anticancer effects and elucidate the chemical composition profile of AE-AS...
- Neuroprotection of ginsenoside Re in cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury in ratsLi Min Chen
Department of Pharmacology, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, Shenyang, China
J Asian Nat Prod Res 10:439-45. 2008..This study demonstrates the neuroprotective potential of Re in cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats...
- Corynoxeine isolated from the hook of Uncaria rhynchophylla inhibits rat aortic vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation through the blocking of extracellular signal regulated kinase 1/2 phosphorylationTack Joong Kim
Division of Biological Science and Technology, Institute of Biomaterials, Yonsei University, Wonju, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 31:2073-8. 2008..These results suggest that corynoxeine is a potent ERK1/2 inhibitor of key PDGF-BB-induced VSMC proliferation and may be useful in the prevention and treatment of vascular diseases and restenosis after angioplasty...
- Inhibitory effects of seven components of danshen extract on catalytic activity of cytochrome P450 enzyme in human liver microsomesFurong Qiu
Key Laboratory of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210038, China
Drug Metab Dispos 36:1308-14. 2008..Our data indicated that it was necessary to study the in vivo interactions between drugs and pharmaceuticals with danshen extract...
- Tanshinone IIA, an ingredient of Salvia miltiorrhiza BUNGE, induces apoptosis in human leukemia cell lines through the activation of caspase-3H J Sung
Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine, Seoul
Exp Mol Med 31:174-8. 1999..These results suggest that Tanshione II-A induced HL60 and K562 cellular apoptosis that may be associated with the selective members of caspase family...
- Tanshinone IIA suppresses inflammatory bone loss by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandin E2 in osteoblastsHan Bok Kwak
Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan, Republic of Korea
Eur J Pharmacol 601:30-7. 2008..These results suggest that tanshinone IIA may be of therapeutic value as an anti-bone-resorptive drug in the treatment of bone-related disease...
- Herbal extract "Songyou Yin" inhibits tumor growth and prolongs survival in nude mice bearing human hepatocellular carcinoma xenograft with high metastatic potentialXiu Yan Huang
Department of General Surgery, The 6th People s Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200233, China
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 135:1245-55. 2009..This study evaluates the effect of the herbal compound extract "Songyou Yin" (containing Salvia miltiorrhiza Bge.-danshen and other four herbs) on hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Extract of the Chinese herbal formula Huo Luo Xiao Ling Dan inhibited adjuvant arthritis in ratsRui Xin Zhang
Center for Integrative Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Maryland, 3rd Floor, James Kernan Hospital Man, 2200 Kernan Drive, Baltimore, MD 21207, USA
J Ethnopharmacol 121:366-71. 2009..The herbal formula Huo Luo Xiao Ling Dan (HLXL) and its modifications have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for about one hundred years to alleviate pain and inflammation...
- Rapidly progressive fibrosing interstitial nephritis associated with Chinese herbal drugsC S Yang
Department of Internal Medicine, Cathay General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Kidney Dis 35:313-8. 2000..We conclude that the relation of this nephropathy to the consumption of Chinese herbs is striking. Using uncontrolled herbal remedies carries a high risk for developing interstitial renal fibrosis and urothelial malignancy...
- Clinical observation of salvianolic acid B in treatment of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis BPing Liu
Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 200032, China
World J Gastroenterol 8:679-85. 2002..To evaluate the clinical efficacy of salvianolic acid B (SA-B) on liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis B...
- Progress in the study of therapeutic effects of traditional Chinese medicine and extracts in treating severe acute pancreatitisXi Ping Zhang
Department of General Surgery, Hangzhou First People s Hospital, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, China
JOP 8:704-14. 2007..Therefore, the application of extracts of Chinese herbs for treating severe acute pancreatitis has significant clinical value and good prospects...
- Optimization of antibacterial activity by Gold-Thread (Coptidis Rhizoma Franch) against Streptococcus mutans using evolutionary operation-factorial design techniqueUng Kyu Choi
Department of Oriental Medicinal Food and Nutrition, Asia University, Gyeongsan 712 220, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 17:1880-4. 2007..The population of S. mutans decreased from 6.110 logCFU/ml in the initial set to 4.125 logCFU/ml in the third set...
- A modified suspension test for estimating the mutagenicity of samples containing free and (or) protein-bound histidineBo Liu
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Technology, Shandong University, Jinan 250100, People s Republic of China
Can J Microbiol 55:146-53. 2009....
- The attenuation effect of 3,4-dihydroxy-phenyl lactic acid and salvianolic acid B on venular thrombosis induced in rat mesentery by photochemical reactionFang Wang
Tasly Microcirculation Research Center, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing, China
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 42:7-18. 2009....
- Protandim, a fundamentally new antioxidant approach in chemoprevention using mouse two-stage skin carcinogenesis as a modelJianfeng Liu
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Neuroscience, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e5284. 2009..Overall, induction of antioxidant enzymes by Protandim may serve as a practical and potent approach for cancer prevention...
- Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization combined with or without Chinese herbal therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma: meta-analysisWilliam Cs Cho
Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Department of Clinical Oncology, Room 1305, 13 F, Block R, 30 Gascoigne Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 18:617-35. 2009..This study aims to systemically review the efficacy of Chinese herbal therapy in HCC patients receiving TACE...
- [Explore new clinical application of Huanglian and corresponding compound prescriptions from their traditional use]Yi Bin Feng
School of Chinese Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 33:1221-5. 2008..Part of the effects has been proved by experimental research and it is worth carrying out more research in this area for development and clinical application...
- Effects of Shugansanjie Tang on matrix metalloproteinases 1, 3 and 9 and telomerase reverse transcriptase expression in human breast cells in vitroWings T Y Loo
UNIMED Medical Institute, Hong Kong, PR China
Biomed Pharmacother 61:601-5. 2007..The aim of this study is to determine the effects of Shugansanjie Tang on MMP levels and TERT activity using breast cancer cell lines...
- An herbal decoction of Radix astragali and Radix angelicae sinensis promotes hematopoiesis and thrombopoiesisMo Yang
Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, LKS Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 124:87-97. 2009..However, its effects on haematopoiesis and particularly thrombopoiesis have not been studied...
- Traditional Chinese herbal medicines for treatment of liver fibrosis and cancer: from laboratory discovery to clinical evaluationJohn M Luk
Department of Surgery, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Liver Int 27:879-90. 2007..In this article, we discuss the laboratory findings and clinical trial studies of Chinese herbal medicines (particularly small molecule compounds) for the treatment of liver disease ranging from fibrosis to liver cancer...
- Anti-inflammatory effect of Sanshuibaihu decoction may be associated with nuclear factor-kappa B and p38 MAPK alpha in collagen-induced arthritis in ratMin Yang
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Southern Medical University, 510515 Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 127:264-73. 2010..The detected amount of p-p38 MAPKalpha in SSBH-treated group was significantly lower vs control. These results show SSBH has an inhibiting effect on CIA, which may be associated with NF-kappaB and p38 MAPKalpha...
- The influence of traditional Chinese herbal drugs on serum 1, 5-anhydroglucitol levelsT Kawasaki
Department of Internal Medicine, Teikyo University School of Medicine 11 1, 2 chome Kaga, Itabashi ku, 173 0003, Tokyo, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 50:97-101. 2000..8+/-8.9 to 28.1+/-17.5 microg/ml by week 8. Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) had not changed by week 8. Thus, an abnormal serum 1,5-AG level may be present in patients taking Kampo which contains Polygalae radix...
- Late onset of bladder urothelial carcinoma after kidney transplantation for end-stage aristolochic acid nephropathy: a case series with 15-year follow-upAnne Lemy
Department of Nephrology, Erasme Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Am J Kidney Dis 51:471-7. 2008..Aristolochic acids are nephrotoxins and predispose to upper-tract urothelial carcinoma. The risk of bladder urothelial carcinoma after kidney transplantation and its relationship to upper-tract urothelial carcinoma is not well defined...
- Salvianolic acid B inhibits growth of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma in vitro and in vivo via cyclooxygenase-2 and apoptotic pathwaysYubin Hao
Department of Oral Diagnostic Service, Howard University, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Int J Cancer 124:2200-9. 2009..Taken together, Sal-B shows promise as a COX-2 targeted anticancer agent for HNSCC prevention and treatment...
- Synergistic induction of heme oxygenase-1 by the components of the antioxidant supplement ProtandimKalpana Velmurugan
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 46:430-40. 2009..There were significant increases in the levels of total glutathione in Protandim-treated cells. These findings suggest that the use of a combination of phytochemicals may be an efficient method for the induction of antioxidant enzymes...
- Effects of Salvia miltiorrhiza on intercellular adhesion molecule 1 protein expression in the lungs of rats with severe acute pancreatitis or obstructive jaundiceZhang Xiping
Department of General Surgery, Hangzhou First People s Hospital, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, China
Pancreas 38:309-17. 2009..The objective of the study was to observe the effects of Salvia miltiorrhiza on intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) protein expression in the lungs of rats with severe acute pancreatitis (SAP) or obstructive jaundice (OJ)...
- [Effects of shengmai for injection on cardiogenic shock]Xiao fei Ding
Pharmacological Laboratory, Liaoning Institute for Drug Control, Shenyang 110010, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 32:2298-305. 2007..To study the protective effects and the possible mechanism of shengmai for injection(SM) against the experimental acute cardiogenic shock...
- Increased risks of chronic kidney disease associated with prescribed Chinese herbal products suspected to contain aristolochic acidMing Nan Lai
Department of Nephrology, Kuang Tien General Hospital, Taiwan
Nephrology (Carlton) 14:227-34. 2009..It was the objective of this study to determine the risk of chronic kidney disease (CKD) associated with AA-related Chinese herbal products (CHP) or mixtures of herbs in a national cohort...
- [Experimental study of Solanum nigrum on inhibiting angiogenesis in chick chorioallantoic membrane]Yang Xu
Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100094, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 33:549-52. 2008..To study the inhibitory effect of Solanum nigrum on angiogenesis...
- Application of high-performance liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry for analysis and quality control of Radix Astragali and its preparationsLian Wen Qi
Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines China Pharmaceutical University, Ministry of Education, Nanjing 210009, China
J Chromatogr A 1216:2087-97. 2009....
- Effect of Da-Cheng-Qi decoction on the pharmacokinetics of ranitidine in ratsWen Fu Tang
Department of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan Province, People s Republic of China
Biomed Chromatogr 22:851-6. 2008..When physicians or pharmacists administer DCQD and ranitidine, they must make a careful effort to adjust the dosage of the drug and Chinese decoction, or avoid the herb-drug co-administration...
- Crude extract of Salvia miltiorrhiza and salvianolic acid B enhance in vitro angiogenesis in murine SVR endothelial cell lineIng Shiow Lay
Institute of Traditional Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Planta Med 69:26-32. 2003..We conclude that the crude extract of SM and Sal B enhance angiogenic processes on SVR cells through up-regulation of VEGF and VEGF receptors genes...
- Protective effect of Juzen-taiho-to on hepatocarcinogenesis is mediated through the inhibition of Kupffer cell-induced oxidative stressMasato Tsuchiya
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Int J Cancer 123:2503-11. 2008..This leads to lower levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines and oxidants in liver which may slow down the process of hepatocarcinogenesis and improves hepatic recurrence-free survival in patients with HCC...
- Targeting angiogenesis with integrative cancer therapiesDonald R Yance
Center for Natural Healing, Ashland, Oregon, USA
Integr Cancer Ther 5:9-29. 2006..Although controlled trials might be preferred, smaller studies with appropriate end points and surrogate markers for antiangiogenic response could help prioritize agents for the larger resource-intensive phase 3 trials...
- Effects of astragali radix on the growth of different cancer cell linesJiang Lin
Deportment of Gastroenterology, Shuguang Hospital, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai, 200021, China
World J Gastroenterol 9:670-3. 2003..To investigate the inhibitory effect of a Chinese herb medicine Astragali radix (AR) on growth of different cancer cell line...
- Effects of single herbal drugs on adhesion and migration of melanocytesXianqi Zhang
Department of Dermatology, Second Hospital, Xi an Jiaotong University, Shaanxi 710004, China
J Tradit Chin Med 25:219-21. 2005..To find herbs with effects on adhesion and migration of melanocytes in vitro...
- Liquid chromatography/mass spectrometric analysis of rat samples for in vivo metabolism and pharmacokinetic studies of ginsenoside Rh2Tianxiu Qian
Department of Chemistry, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, China
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 19:3549-54. 2005..Oxygenation and deglycosylation were found to be the major metabolic pathways of Rh2. Intense metabolism, rather than excretion, appears to be the reason for the fast clearance of this ginsenoside...
- Berberine suppresses MEK/ERK-dependent Egr-1 signaling pathway and inhibits vascular smooth muscle cell regrowth after in vitro mechanical injuryKae Woei Liang
Institute of Clinical Medicine and Department of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Biochem Pharmacol 71:806-17. 2006..The anti-proliferative properties of berberine may be useful in treating disorders due to inappropriate SMC growth...
- Effect of herbal medicine Juzentaihoto on hepatic and intestinal heat shock gene expression requires intestinal microflora in mouseMiho Kato
Department of Kampo Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinano machi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 13:2289-97. 2007..To evaluate the role of intestinal microflora in the effects of multi-herbal medicine on gene expression in the gut and liver...
- Axonal and dendritic extension by protopanaxadiol-type saponins from ginseng drugs in SK-N-SH cellsChihiro Tohda
Research Center for Ethnomedicines, Institute of Natural Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Toyama, Japan
Jpn J Pharmacol 90:254-62. 2002..Especially, longer neurites were mainly positive for phosphorylated NF-H. These results suggest that protopanaxadiol-type saponins enhance axonal and dendritic formation activity...
- Chinese herbal medicine, Shengmai San, is effective for improving circulatory shock and oxidative damage in the brain during heatstrokeNing Lu Wang
Institute of Physiology, National Yang Ming University Medical School, Taipei, Taiwan
J Pharmacol Sci 97:253-65. 2005..The results demonstrate that SMS is effective for prevention and repair of circulatory shock and ischemic and oxidative damage in the brain during heatstroke...
- Different therapy for different types of ulcerative colitis in ChinaXue Liang Jiang
Department of Gastroenterology, Chinese PLA General Hospital of Jinan Military Command, 25 Shifanlu, Jinan 250031, Shandong Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 10:1513-20. 2004..To study the different therapy for different types of ulcerative colitis (UC) in China...
- Aristolochic acid and 'Chinese herbs nephropathy': a review of the evidence to dateJean Pierre Cosyns
Department of Pathology, Medical School, Cliniques Universitaires St Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Drug Saf 26:33-48. 2003..Finally, it has led to the withdrawal in several countries of a previously unsuspected carcinogenic and nephrotoxic substance...
- Inhibition of the oligosaccharides extracted from Morinda officinalis, a Chinese traditional herbal medicine, on the corticosterone induced apoptosis in PC12 cellsYun Feng Li
Division of Psychopharmacology, Beijing Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 27 Taiping Road, 100850 Beijing, China
Life Sci 72:933-42. 2003..These results indicate that DIM or P(6) antagonize the apoptosis induced by Cort in PC12 cells, which may be one of the cellular mechanisms of their antidepressant effects...
- [Textural research on "Shidachuan" and "Shijianchuan" in "Ben Cao Gang Mu Shi Yi" (a supplement to the compendium of materia medica)]Z W Xie
Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100700, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 25:49-51. 2000..To investigate the historical origins of folk herbal medicines "Shidachuan" and "Shijianchuan"..
- Immunomodulatory and antimicrobial effects of some traditional chinese medicinal herbs: a reviewBenny K H Tan
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, 18 Medical Drive, Singapore 117597
Curr Med Chem 11:1423-30. 2004..As many modern drugs are often patterned after phytochemicals, studying the influence of each compound on immune cells as well as microbes can provide useful insights to the development of potentially useful new pharmacological agents...
- Japanese herbal medicine in patients with advanced lung cancer: prolongation of survivalHiroaki Satoh
J Altern Complement Med 8:107-8. 2002
- Topical anti-inflammatory activity of some Asian medicinal plants used in dermatological disordersM J Cuellar
Departament de Farmacologia, Facultat de Farmacia, Universitat de Valencia, Avda Vicent Andres Estelles, s n 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
Fitoterapia 72:221-9. 2001..None of the extracts inhibited in vitro the activity of phospholipase A(2) (PLA(2)) from Naja naja...
- Ping wei san, a Chinese medicine for gastrointestinal disordersJ E Riedlinger
Center for Integrative Therapies in Pharmaceutical Care, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Boston 02115 5896, USA
Ann Pharmacother 35:228-35. 2001..Ping wei san (PWS), an agent used to treat gastrointestinal disorders, is used to illustrate the problems encountered and to identify resources on Chinese herbal medicines available to pharmacists...
- Reproducible Feverfew Preparations for Migraine TrialsAlbert Leung; Fiscal Year: 2004..To provide a substantial (less arbitrary) basis for botanical and chemical standardization of feverfew leaf and extract preparations. ..
- Osteoporotic fractures in Chinese men: MrOs Hong KongPING LEUNG; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Methyl selenium regulation of Angiogenic switch MechJunxuan Lu; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Choices: Family Physicians Treat Overweight ChildrenCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2006..Children will be eligible for participation who are above the 90th percentile of BMI for age, and who can have the regular participation of at least one parent or guardian. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Selenium and prostate cancer apoptosis pathwaysJunxuan Lu; Fiscal Year: 2007..The mechanistic insights will help to guide the design of novel Se agents with better efficacy and tolerance and to interpret the results of PCa prevention trials with Se. ..
- Oxidative Stress and Heart Failure by Copper RestrictionY James Kang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, Cu supplementation is not an appropriate approach to rescue diabetic cardiomyopathy. ..
- Anticancer Potential of Black Cohosh on Breast CancerLINDA EINBOND; Fiscal Year: 2007..This research project could identify new approaches to breast cancer prevention and therapy. ..
- Acupuncture treatment for post-thoracotomy pain syndromeBarrie Cassileth; Fiscal Year: 2007..The research has the potential of leading to a new treatment option to improve the quality of life of cancer patients and cancer survivors. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Acupuncture For Infertility Patients: The Effect On IVFGrant Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Result obtained from the study will provide necessary information for a larger, definitive study, as well as knowledge regarding the broad mechanism of acupuncture on female reproductive function. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effect of Chinese herbal medicine on food allergyXiu Min Li; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Society for Integrative OncologyBarrie Cassileth; Fiscal Year: 2004..This application requests support from NIH to cover costs that remain after anticipated organizational/donor support and registration fees are taken into account. ..
- Acupuncture for hot flashes in cancer pts: pilot for RCTBarrie Cassileth; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Consistency of TCM RA Diagnosis and Herbal PrescriptionsGrant Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2002..More importantly, this study will be broadly applicable to clinical TCM research in general, and may help to establish a stronger methodological model for the evaluation of individualized treatment. ..
- Developing Patient-Centered Measures for Outcomes of CAM TherapiesCheryl K Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Integrative Oncology Research Training Program at MSKCCBarrie Cassileth; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Massage for Treatment of Pain Advanced CancerBarrie Cassileth; Fiscal Year: 2002..trial could be completed in less than two years, and if the 95 percent confidence interval for the difference between group means includes at least a 20 percent lower mean post-treatment pain score on massage than sham treatment ..
- Acupuncture Treatment of Chronic Pain in Pancreatic CaBarrie Cassileth; Fiscal Year: 2002..Otherwise, an additional 19 patients will be accrued. A Phase III trial will be deemed warranted if there are 6 or more responses in total; this is consistent with a 30 percent response rate. ..
- Immunotherapy for Peanut AllergyARVIL BURKS; Fiscal Year: 2007..The significance of this proposal is that if peanut SLIT in peanut allergic patients is effective, the treatment would provide an immediate therapeutic option for patients. ..
- EXTRAMURAL RES FACILITIES CONSTR PROJARVIL BURKS; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Effects of Chinese Herbal Medicines on Allergic AsthmaXiu Min Li; Fiscal Year: 2003..Accomplishing these goals should provide an experimental basis for applying Chinese herbal medicines to the treatment of allergic asthma, and for understanding immunoregulatory mechanisms underlying their effects. ..
- Preventing CVD in Native Populations: Traditional LivingCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IMMUNOTHERAPY FOR PATIENTS WITH PEANUT ANAPHYLAXISARVIL BURKS; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Soy Immunotherapy for Patients with Peanut AnaphylaxisARVIL BURKS; Fiscal Year: 2004..If soybean IT in peanut allergic patients is effective, the treatment would provide an immediate therapeutic option. ..
- Impact of Culture on Cancer Screening in Chinese WomenWenchi Liang; Fiscal Year: 2006..I. to develop critical research skills to become an independent cancer control researcher. ..
- METALLOTHIONEIN AND ADRIAMYCIN CARDIOTOXICITYY Kang; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- The Role of RR in Chemotherapeutic Drug ResistanceYun Yen; Fiscal Year: 2005..Taken together, our proposed studies will provide an integrated evaluation of the molecular control of RR-mediated chemotherapeutic drug resistance. ..
- Genetic Basis of Colon Adenoma Synchronous to Carcinoma.Yun Yen; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will understand better the biology of different subsets of sporadic CRC, namely CRC+SA, proximal tumors and MSI instable tumors. Our findings will impact on future clinical therapeutic studies of CRC. ..
- Advances in CAM Clinical Research MethodologyCheryl Ritenbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..