Genomes and Genes
Summary: A cholinesterase inhibitor used in the treatment of myasthenia gravis and to reverse the effects of muscle relaxants such as gallamine and tubocurarine. Neostigmine, unlike PHYSOSTIGMINE, does not cross the blood-brain barrier.
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Antagonism of neuromuscular blockade but not muscle relaxation affects depth of anaesthesiaF C Vasella
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Hospital, CHUV BH 10, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Br J Anaesth 94:742-7. 2005..Therefore we evaluated the effect of atracurium and neostigmine on bispectral index (BIS) and middle-latency auditory evoked potentials (AAI).
- Sugammadex reversal of rocuronium-induced neuromuscular blockade: a comparison with neostigmine-glycopyrrolate and edrophonium-atropineOzlem Sacan
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9068, USA
Anesth Analg 104:569-74. 2007..We tested the hypothesis that sugammadex would provide for a more rapid reversal of a moderately profound residual rocuronium-induced blockade than the commonly used cholinesterase inhibitors, edrophonium and neostigmine.
- Unwarranted administration of acetylcholinesterase inhibitors can impair genioglossus and diaphragm muscle functionMatthias Eikermann
Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114 2696, USA
Anesthesiology 107:621-9. 2007It is standard practice to administer a cholinesterase inhibitor (e.g., neostigmine) at the end of a surgical case to reverse suspected effects of neuromuscular blocking agents regardless of whether such residual effects are present...
- Calcium and neostigmine antagonize gentamicin, but augment clindamycin-induced tetanic fade in rat phrenic nerve-hemidiaphragm preparationsSoo Il Lee
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Dong A University Medical Center and Medicine College, 1, 3 Ka, Dongdaeshin Dong, Seo Gu, Busan, 602 715, Korea
J Anesth 22:385-90. 2008A reduction in acetylcholine release induced by gentamicin may limit neostigmine-induced increases in acetylcholine concentration in the neuromuscular junction...
- Evaluation for the interaction between intrathecal melatonin and clonidine or neostigmine on formalin-induced nociceptionMyung Ha Yoon
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Chonnam National University, Medical School, 8 Hakdong, Donggu, Gwangju 501 757, Republic of Korea
Life Sci 83:845-50. 2008We examined the nature of pharmacological interaction after coadministration of melatonin with clonidine or neostigmine on formalin-induced nociception at the spinal level...
- The effect of dexamethasone on postoperative pain and emesis after intrathecal neostigmineP H Tan
Department of Anesthesia, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung
Anesth Analg 92:228-32. 2001..and severity of postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) after intrathecal injection of tetracaine plus neostigmine. Sixty ASA physical status I patients scheduled for inguinal herniorrhaphy were studied with a randomized, ..
- Dose-response effects of spinal neostigmine added to bupivacaine spinal anesthesia in volunteersS S Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, Virginia Mason Medical Center and the University of Washington, Seattle 98111, USA
Anesthesiology 90:710-7. 1999Intrathecal adjuncts often are used to enhance small-dose spinal bupivacaine for ambulatory anesthesia. Neostigmine is a novel spinal analgesic that could be a useful adjunct, but no data exist to assess the effects of neostigmine on ..
- Role of neostigmine and polyvalent antivenom in Indian common krait (Bungarus caeruleus) biteA Anil
Department of Internal Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
J Infect Public Health 3:83-7. 2010..This study was undertaken to find the effectiveness of neostigmine and polyvalent antivenom in improving neuromuscular paralysis following bite...
- Retrospective study of neostigmine for the treatment of acute colonic pseudo-obstructionB J Abeyta
Department of Surgery, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque 87131, USA
Am Surg 67:265-8; discussion 268-9. 2001..Studies suggest that pharmacologic manipulation with intravenous (i.v.) neostigmine (NSM) may be an effective and less invasive treatment modality for ACPO with minimal side effects...
- Factors predicting successful outcome following neostigmine therapy in acute colonic pseudo-obstruction: a prospective studyRajiv Mehta
Department of Gastroenterology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Cochin, Kerala, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:459-61. 2006To evaluate predictors of neostigmine response in patients with acute colonic pseudo-obstruction.
- Neostigmine resolves critical illness-related colonic ileus in intensive care patients with multiple organ failure--a prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialJ I van der Spoel
Intensive Care Unit, Onze Lieve Vrouwe Gasthuis, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Intensive Care Med 27:822-7. 2001..as a result of the absence of prokinetic movements of the colon, while the upper gastrointestinal tract functions properly and mechanical ileus is absent: We investigated whether neostigmine resulted in defecation in patients with CIRCI.
- Intermediate acting non-depolarizing neuromuscular blocking agents and risk of postoperative respiratory complications: prospective propensity score matched cohort studyMartina Grosse-Sundrup
Department of Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, 02114, USA
BMJ 345:e6329. 2012..To determine whether use of intermediate acting neuromuscular blocking agents during general anesthesia increases the incidence of postoperative respiratory complications...
- Reversal of rocuronium-induced neuromuscular blockade with sugammadex compared with neostigmine during sevoflurane anaesthesia: results of a randomised, controlled trialManfred Blobner
Klinik für Anästhesiologie der Technischen Universität München, Munich, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:874-81. 2010..This study compared the efficacy of sugammadex and neostigmine for reversal of neuromuscular blockade induced by rocuronium for facilitating elective surgery.
- Cardiac arrest complicating neostigmine use for bowel opening in a critically ill patientLesley Maher
Intensive Care Unit, Wellington Regional Hospital, Wellington, New Zealand
Crit Care Resusc 13:192-3. 2011Absence of bowel opening is common among critically ill patients. Neostigmine can be used to achieve stool passage after other treatments have been ineffective...
- The antinociceptive effect of intrathecal administration of epibatidine with clonidine or neostigmine in the formalin test in ratsA T Hama
Merck Research Laboratories, San Diego, 505 Coast Blvd South, 300, La Jolla CA 92037, USA
Pain 91:131-8. 2001The analgesic effect of intrathecal injection of epibatidine, clonidine and neostigmine, compounds that elevate ACh, was examined in the formalin test, a model of post-injury central sensitization in the rat...
- Antinociceptive effect of low-dose intrathecal neostigmine combined with intrathecal morphine following gynecologic surgeryRaquel A Almeida
Hospital das Clinicas, Department of Biomechanics, Medicine and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Anesthesiology 98:495-8. 2003The purpose of this study was to determine whether combination of 1-5 microg intrathecal neostigmine would enhance analgesia from a fixed intrathecal dose of morphine.
- Long-acting anticholinesterases for myasthenia gravis: synthesis and activities of quaternary phenylcarbamates of neostigmine, pyridostigmine and physostigmineQian sheng Yu
Drug Design and Development Section, Laboratory of Neurosciences, Biomedical Research Center, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, 251 Bayview Blvd, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 18:4687-93. 2010The N-monophenylcarbamate analogues of neostigmine methyl sulfate (6) and pyridostigmine bromide (8) together with their precursors (5), (7), and the N(1)-methylammonium analogues of (-)-phenserine (12), (-)-tolserine (14), (-)-cymserine ..
- The effect of neostigmine on postoperative ileus and the healing of colon anastomosesM Emirleroglu
Yeditepe University Hospital, Department of General Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Bratisl Lek Listy 112:309-13. 2011The aim of this study was to assess the effects of neostigmine on the postoperative ileus and the healing of colon anastomoses.
- Assessment of predictors of response to neostigmine for acute colonic pseudo-obstructionConor G Loftus
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Medical Center, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:3118-22. 2002..Colonoscopic decompression may be required in patients failing to respond to conservative treatment. Neostigmine has been proposed as an effective treatment for ACPO as an alternative to colonoscopic decompression...
- Neostigmine for the treatment of acute hepatic encephalopathy with acute intestinal pseudo-obstruction in a cirrhotic patientChang Hwan Park
Department of Internal Medicine, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 20:150-2. 2005We treated a 49-yr-old man with neostigmine, who had liver cirrhosis, acute hepatic encephalopathy, and acute intestinal pseudoobstruction. He was admitted in a state of hepatic confusion...
- Efficacy of bupivacaine-neostigmine and bupivacaine-tramadol in caudal block in pediatric inguinal herniorrhaphyReza Taheri
Department of Anesthesiology, Children s Hospital, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Paediatr Anaesth 20:866-72. 2010..Therefore, the purpose of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of bupivacaine in combination with either neostigmine or tramadol for caudal block in children undergoing inguinal herniorrhaphy.
- Neostigmine combined with bupivacaine, clonidine, and sufentanil for spinal labor analgesiaR D'ANGELO
Department of Anesthesiology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27103, USA
Anesth Analg 93:1560-4, table of contents. 2001..We sought to determine whether the addition of spinal neostigmine to these drugs would further enhance labor analgesia...
- Assessment of the effects of erythromycin, neostigmine, and metoclopramide on abomasal motility and emptying rate in calvesThomas Wittek
Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
Am J Vet Res 66:545-52. 2005To determine and compare the effects of erythromycin, neostigmine, and metoclopramide on abomasal motility and emptying rate in suckling calves.
- Intrathecal bupivacaine with morphine or neostigmine for postoperative analgesia after total knee replacement surgeryP H Tan
Department of Anesthesia, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Can J Anaesth 48:551-6. 2001To compare the postoperative analgesic efficacy and safety of intrathecal (IT) neostigmine and IT morphine in patients undergoing total knee replacement under spinal anesthesia.
- A prospective randomized double-blind study to determine the effect of thoracic epidural neostigmine on postoperative ileus after abdominal aortic surgeryEsra Caliskan
Baskent University, Faculty of Medicine, Adana Teaching and Medical Research Center, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Dadaloglu Mahallesi, 39 Sokak, No 36, Yuregir 01250 Adana, Turkey
Anesth Analg 106:959-64, table of contents. 2008..In this study, we evaluated the effect of epidurally administered neostigmine on postoperative ileus after abdominal aortic surgery.
- Correlations between acetylcholinesterase inhibition, acetylcholine levels and EEG changes during perfusion with neostigmine and N6-cyclopentyladenosine in rat brainMarloes J A Joosen
TNO Defence, Security and Safety, BU Biological and Chemical Protection, Department Diagnosis and Therapy, Rijswijk, The Netherlands
Eur J Pharmacol 555:122-8. 2007..EEG) changes was investigated during local perfusion of the reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitor neostigmine in the hippocampus and striatum of freely moving rats...
- Electroacupuncture potentiates the antiallodynic effect of intrathecal neostigmine in a rat model of neuropathic painHa Neul Kim
Department of East West Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea
J Physiol Sci 58:357-60. 2008This study was performed to examine whether electroacupuncture potentiates the neostigmine-induced antiallodynia in neuropathic pain rats. Although intrathecal neostigmine (0.05, 0.1, and 0...
- The effects of neostigmine and glycopyrrolate on skin conductance as a measure of painThomas Ledowski
Anaesthesiology Unit, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Eur J Anaesthesiol 26:777-81. 2009..In this context, the effects of cholinesterase inhibitors and anticholinergic drugs used for the reversal of muscle relaxants were investigated...
- Postoperative analgesic effects of epidural administration of neostigmine alone or in combination with morphine in ovariohysterectomized dogsRodrigo L Marucio
Department of Veterinary Surgery and Anesthesiology, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria e Zootecnia, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil, 14870 000
Am J Vet Res 69:854-60. 2008To evaluate analgesic effects of epidurally administered neostigmine alone or in combination with morphine in dogs after ovariohysterectomy. Animals-40 healthy bitches.
- Neostigmine/glycopyrrolate administered after recovery from neuromuscular block increases upper airway collapsibility by decreasing genioglossus muscle activity in response to negative pharyngeal pressureFrank Herbstreit
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Essen, Germany
Anesthesiology 113:1280-8. 2010Reversal of residual neuromuscular blockade by acetylcholinesterase inhibitors (e.g., neostigmine) improves respiratory function. However, neostigmine may also impair muscle strength...
- Neostigmine: an alternative treatment for constipationAnne Fu
York Central Hospital, Richmond Hill, Ontario
Dynamics 16:13-5. 2005..Recent studies have shown neostigmine may be an effective treatment for ACPO...
- Phase I human safety assessment of intrathecal neostigmine containing methyl- and propylparabensJ C Eisenach
Department of Anesthesia, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1009, USA
Anesth Analg 85:842-6. 1997Intrathecal (i.t.) neostigmine produces analgesia in humans with acute experimental, postoperative, and chronic pain...
- Determinants of the reversal time of competitive neuromuscular block by anticholinesterasesG H Beemer
Anaesthesia Department, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Br J Anaesth 66:469-75. 1991..block by anticholinesterase when alcuronium and atracurium neuromuscular block were antagonized by neostigmine 0.04 and 0.08 mg kg-1 and edrophonium 0.5 and 1.0 mg kg-1...
- Intrathecal neostigmine reduces the zymosan-induced inflammatory response in a mouse air pouch model via adrenomedullary activity: involvement of spinal muscarinic type 2 receptorsSeo Yeon Yoon
Department of Veterinary Physiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and School of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
Neuropharmacology 49:275-82. 2005Intrathecal (IT) injection of neostigmine (a cholinesterase inhibitor) has been reported to produce a significant anti-nociceptive effect in a number of inflammatory pain models...
- Sugammadex compared with neostigmine/glycopyrrolate for routine reversal of neuromuscular block: a systematic review and economic evaluationF Paton
Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD, UK
Br J Anaesth 105:558-67. 2010..We performed a systematic review of randomized controlled trials of sugammadex compared with neostigmine/glycopyrrolate and an economic assessment of sugammadex for the reversal of moderate or profound neuromuscular ..
- Effects of atropine sulfate and neostigmine on gastric electrical activity in human subjects--electrogastrographic studyKenji Imai
Department of Clinical Acupuncture and Moxibustion II, Meiji University of Oriental Medicine, Hiyoshi cho, Kyoto, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 55:294-7. 2008..To determine the effect of intravenous administration of a vagal blocker (atropine sulfate) or a vagal stimulator (neostigmine) on gastric electrical activities EGG was utilized in this study.
- Neostigmine increases postoperative colonic motility in patients undergoing colorectal surgeryM E Kreis
Department of General Surgery, University Hospital, , Germany
Surgery 130:449-56. 2001..We investigated the effects of neostigmine on colonic motility in patients after colorectal surgery and in healthy volunteers...
- Effect of neostigmine on organ injury in murine endotoxemia: missing facts about the cholinergic antiinflammatory pathwaySeda B Akinci
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Sihhiye, Ankara 06100, Turkey
World J Surg 29:1483-9. 2005..b>Neostigmine, a cholinergic agent, has not been tested to determine if it can prevent histopathologic organ injury in ..
- Intravenous regional anesthesia using prilocaine and neostigmineA Turan
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Medical Faculty, Trakya University, 22030 Edirne, Turkey
Anesth Analg 95:1419-22, table of contents. 2002b>Neostigmine has been added to local anesthetics for central and peripheral nerve blocks resulting in prolonged, increased anesthesia and improved analgesia...
- Analgesic effects of intrathecal neostigmine in perianal surgeryA Yegin
Akdeniz University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Anaesthesiology, Antalya, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 20:404-8. 2003In recent human and animal studies, intrathecal administration of various doses of neostigmine produces analgesia without neurotoxicity...
- Treatment of anticholinergic-induced ileus with neostigmineG K Isbister
Department of Clinical Toxicology and Pharmacology, Newcastle Mater Hospital, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Ann Emerg Med 38:689-93. 2001..Persistent ileus was treated with repeated doses of neostigmine, and gastrointestinal motility returned with prompt defecation...
- Antagonism of low degrees of atracurium-induced neuromuscular blockade: dose-effect relationship for neostigmineThomas Fuchs-Buder
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Institut de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, CIC EC CIE6, Nancy, France
Anesthesiology 112:34-40. 2010..This may be of clinical interest because a high dose of neostigmine given at a shallow level of neuromuscular block may produce neuromuscular weakness...
- A multi-center study of intrathecal neostigmine for analgesia following vaginal hysterectomyG R Lauretti
Department of Surgery, Orthopedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Anesthesiology 89:913-8. 1998Intrathecal neostigmine injection produces analgesia in volunteers and reduces hypotension from intrathecal bupivacaine in animals...
- Reversal of rocuronium-induced neuromuscular block with sugammadex is faster than reversal of cisatracurium-induced block with neostigmineE A Flockton
University Department of Anaesthesia, School of Clinical Sciences, Duncan Building, Daulby Street, Liverpool L69 3GA, UK
Br J Anaesth 100:622-30. 2008Reversal of the residual effect of rocuronium or cisatracurium by neostigmine may be slow and associated with side-effects...
- Ultrasonographic assessment of the reticular motility in cows after administration of different doses of metoclopramide and neostigmineSabry A El-Khodery
Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Mansoura University, Mansoura 35516, Egypt
Vet Res Commun 32:473-80. 2008..ultrasonography for assessment of reticular motility after administration of various doses of metclopramide and neostigmine in cows. A total of ten Holstein cows were used in six trials in each one single dose of each drug was used...
- Sugammadex provides faster reversal of vecuronium-induced neuromuscular blockade compared with neostigmine: a multicenter, randomized, controlled trialKarin S Khuenl-Brady
Medical University Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Anesth Analg 110:64-73. 2010..In this study, we compared the efficacy of sugammadex and neostigmine for the reversal of vecuronium-induced neuromuscular blockade in patients scheduled for elective surgery.
- The effect of epidural neostigmine combined with ropivacaine and sufentanil on neuraxial analgesia during laborFabienne Roelants
Department of Anesthesiology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, St Luc Hospital, Avenue Hippocrate 10 1820, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Anesth Analg 96:1161-6, table of contents. 2003Spinal neostigmine produces analgesia without respiratory depression or hypotension but provokes major gastrointestinal side effects. Epidural injection of this drug, however, appears to induce analgesia devoid of such side effects...
- Caudal ropivacaine and neostigmine in pediatric surgeryAlparslan Turan
Department of Anesthesiology, Trakya University Medical Faculty, Edirne, Turkey
Anesthesiology 98:719-22. 2003b>Neostigmine has been added to local anesthetics for different nerve blocks. This study was conducted to evaluate effects of neostigmine when added to ropivacaine for caudal anesthesia.
- Rewarding effects of the cholinergic agents carbachol and neostigmine in the posterior ventral tegmental areaSatoshi Ikemoto
Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neurosci 22:9895-904. 2002..of the cholinergic agonist carbachol (30-500 pmol per infusion) or the acetylcholinesterase inhibitor neostigmine (7.5-75 pmol per infusion) into the posterior ventral tegmental area (VTA) of the brain...
- Acute colonic pseudoobstruction in a child with sickle cell disease treated with neostigmineArjun Khosla
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:2281-4. 2008..pediatric case of acute pseudoobstruction secondary to sickle cell disease that was treated successfully with neostigmine. Early recognition of this phenomenon is important as it alters patient management, can be treated medically, ..
- Pharmacologic interaction between cannabinoid and either clonidine or neostigmine in the rat formalin testMyung Ha Yoon
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Chonnam National University Medical School, Gwanju, Korea
Anesthesiology 99:701-7. 2003..Spinal alpha 2 receptor agonist (clonidine) and cholinesterase inhibitor (neostigmine) are also active in the modulation of nociception...
- Epidural neostigmine produces analgesia but also sedation in women after cesarean deliveryF Nur Kaya
Departments of Anesthesiology, Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey
Anesthesiology 100:381-5. 2004Intrathecal neostigmine produces analgesia but also nausea, limiting its utility. In contrast, epidural administration of neostigmine has been suggested to produce postoperative analgesia without nausea in nonpregnant patients...
- The use of neuraxial adjuvant drugs (neostigmine, clonidine) in obstetricsFabienne Roelants
Department of Anaesthesiology, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 19:233-7. 2006..Opioids are used in routinely, but alpha2-agonists, such as clonidine or cholinesterase inhibitors (neostigmine), have also been used for labour analgesia or to relieve pain following caesarean section...
- Characteristic of interactions between intrathecal gabapentin and either clonidine or neostigmine in the formalin testMyung Ha Yoon
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Chonnam National University, Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
Anesth Analg 98:1374-9, table of contents. 2004..Unlike gabapentin, intrathecal clonidine and neostigmine attenuate both acute pain and phase 2 of the formalin response...
- Bronchospasm caused by neostigmineA Hazizaj
Eur J Anaesthesiol 23:85-6. 2006
- The efficacy of thoracic epidural neostigmine infusion after thoracotomyYuan Yi Chia
Department of Anesthesiology, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital and School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taiwan
Anesth Analg 102:201-8. 2006Few anesthesia studies have explored perioperative continuous epidural infusion of neostigmine. We examined such a regimen in thoracotomy patients. Ninety patients were randomized to one of three groups in this double-blind trial...
- Caudal additives in pediatrics: a comparison among midazolam, ketamine, and neostigmine coadministered with bupivacaineP Kumar
Department of Anaesthesiology, Calcutta National Medical College, Kolkata, India
Anesth Analg 101:69-73, table of contents. 2005..randomized double-blind clinical study, we assessed and compared the efficacy of ketamine, midazolam, and neostigmine coadministered with bupivacaine in a caudal epidural to provide intraoperative and postoperative pain relief...
- Acute colonic pseudo-obstruction in postchemotherapy complication of brain tumor treated with neostigmineTai Sung Kim
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 29:420-2. 2007..We report a 9-year-old boy with acute colonic pseudo-obstruction caused by chemotherapy for brain tumor who did not respond to initial supportive therapy, but who was successfully treated with neostigmine.
- Tetrodotoxin poisoning: a clinical analysis, role of neostigmine and short-term outcome of 53 casesF R Chowdhury
Department of Neuro Medicine, Bangabandhu Shaikh Mujib Medical University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Singapore Med J 48:830-3. 2007..In this paper, we aim to share our experience and to find out the toxic manifestations, lag period between ingestion of fish and development of symptoms, the short-term clinical outcome, and value of neostigmine in its management.
- Epidural administration of neostigmine and clonidine to induce labor analgesia: evaluation of efficacy and local anesthetic-sparing effectFabienne Roelants
Department of Anesthesiology, Universite Catholique de Louvain, St Luc Hospital, Avenue Hippocrate 10 1820, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Anesthesiology 102:1205-10. 2005..The authors have recently demonstrated that epidural neostigmine initiates selective labor analgesia devoid of adverse effects...
- Acute colonic pseudo-obstruction: rapid correction with neostigmine in the emergency departmentRobert McNamara
Department of Emergency Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
J Emerg Med 35:167-70. 2008..A diagnosis of acute colonic pseudo-obstruction was made and 2 mg of intravenous neostigmine was administered, with resolution of the patient's condition allowing for subsequent Emergency Department ..
- Neostigmine but not sugammadex impairs upper airway dilator muscle activity and breathingM Eikermann
Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Br J Anaesth 101:344-9. 2008..Sugammadex reverses neuromuscular block by encapsulating rocuronium. However, its effects on upper airway integrity and breathing are unknown...
- Reversal of profound rocuronium-induced blockade with sugammadex: a randomized comparison with neostigmineR Kevin Jones
Accurate Clinical Trials Saddleback Memorial Medical Center, Laguna Hills, CA 92653, USA
Anesthesiology 109:816-24. 2008..Sugammadex is a novel reversal agent, reversing the effects of rocuronium by encapsulation. This study assessed the efficacy and safety of sugammadex versus neostigmine for reversal of profound rocuronium-induced neuromuscular blockade.
- Differential reversal of drug-induced small bowel paralysis by cerulein and neostigmineSonja Fruhwald
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 29, 8036 Graz, Austria
Intensive Care Med 30:1414-20. 2004Cerulein and neostigmine are prokinetic drugs whose potency and effective dose range are barely known. The aim of this study was to assess their benefit for normal and compromised peristalsis.
- Dose response study of caudal neostigmine for postoperative analgesia in paediatric patients undergoing genitourinary surgeryY K Batra
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
Paediatr Anaesth 13:515-21. 2003b>Neostigmine given through the neuraxial route has been found to have analgesic properties...
- Ogilvie's syndrome in acute myeloid leukemia: pharmacological approach with neostigmineM Breccia
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie Cellulari ed Ematologia, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Ann Hematol 80:614-6. 2001..This process was associated with sepsis and resolved with conservative therapy of the underlying condition, using granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and intravenous neostigmine. We discuss the management of this rare syndrome.
- Analgesic effect of epidural neostigmine after abdominal hysterectomyM Nakayama
Department of Anesthesiology, Obihiro Kosei Hospital, Obihiro, Japan
J Clin Anesth 13:86-9. 2001To evaluate the effects of epidurally administered neostigmine on pain after abdominal hysterectomy.
- Neostigmine antagonism of rocuronium block during anesthesia with sevoflurane, isoflurane or propofolJ E Reid
Department of Anaesthetics and Intensive Care Medicine, The Queen's University of Belfast, N. Ireland, UK
Can J Anaesth 48:351-5. 2001..administration of sevoflurane or isoflurane during reversal of rocuronium induced neuromuscular block with neostigmine. METHODS: One hundred and twenty patients, divided into three equal groups, were randomly allocated to ..
- Low-dose clonidine and neostigmine prolong the duration of intrathecal bupivacaine-fentanyl for labor analgesiaM D Owen
Wake Forest University Department of Anesthesiology, Section on Obstetric Anesthesia, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Anesthesiology 92:361-6. 2000..This study was undertaken to determine whether the addition of clonidine and neostigmine to IT bupivacaine-fentanyl would increase the duration of analgesia without increasing side effects for ..
- The interaction between intrathecal neostigmine and GABA receptor agonists in rats with nerve ligation InjuryJ H Hwang
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Ulsan, College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Anesth Analg 93:1297-303. 2001..We examined the drug interactions between neostigmine and muscimol or baclofen in a rat model of nerve ligation injury...
- Synergistic effects between intrathecal clonidine and neostigmine in the formalin testM H Yoon
Department of Anesthesiology, Chonnam National University, Medical School, Dong Gu, Kwangju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 16:498-504. 2001..Both intrathecal clonidine and neostigmine dose-dependently suppressed the flinching during phase 1 and phase 2...
- Central and peripheral analgesia mediated by the acetylcholinesterase-inhibitor neostigmine in the rat inflamed knee joint modelH Buerkle
Klinik und Poliklinik für Anästhesiologie und operative Intensivmedizin, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Germany
Anesth Analg 86:1027-32. 1998..The use of intrathecal (i.t.) acetylcholinesterase-inhibitors, such as neostigmine, result in analgesia in both preclinical and clinical models. However, whether i.t...
- The efficacy of intrathecal neostigmine, intrathecal morphine, and their combination for post-cesarean section analgesiaC J Chung
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Medicine, Dong A University, Pusan, Korea
Anesth Analg 87:341-6. 1998We designed this study to evaluate the postoperative analgesic efficacy and safety of intrathecal (i.t.) neostigmine, i.t. morphine, and their combination in patients undergoing cesarean section under spinal anesthesia...
- Antinociceptive effect of intrathecal neostigmine evaluated in rats by two different pain modelsW A Prado
Departamento de Farmacologia, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 30:1225-31. 1997..The antinociceptive effect of intraspinal neostigmine was examined in rats submitted concurrently to the tail flick and formalin tests. Neostigmine (8.25 and 16...
- Neostigmine and polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution for the therapy of acute hepatic encephalopathy with liver cirrhosis and ascitesTakayoshi Kiba
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, 3 9 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama 236, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 50:823-6. 2003..man who had non-B and non-C, and Child's class C liver cirrhosis and acute hepatic encephalopathy with neostigmine and polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution...
- Amitraz: an unusual aetiology of Ogilvie's syndromeSahin Aslan
Department of Emergency Medicine, Ataturk University, School of Medicine, Erzurum, Turkey
Hum Exp Toxicol 24:481-3. 2005..Although continuous nasogastric tube decompression was performed, her complaints were not resolved completely. Neostigmine was administered on the fourth day...
- [Stopping smoking and constipation]Gilbert Lagrue
Hopital Albert Chenevier, Creteil
Presse Med 35:246-8. 2006..Among the symptoms that may occur with smoking withdrawal, constipation is relatively frequent, but little studied...
- Microdialysis measures of functional increases in ACh release in the hippocampus with and without inclusion of acetylcholinesterase inhibitors in the perfusateQing Chang
Department of Psychology and the Neuroscience Program, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Champaign, Illinois 61820, USA
J Neurochem 97:697-706. 2006..levels are near detection limits in microdialysis samples, an acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitor such as neostigmine is often added to microdialysis perfusates to increase ACh levels in the dialysate, a practice that raises ..
- Postoperative delirium and Ogilvie's syndrome resolving with neostigmineAzadeh Lankarani-Fard
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1016-7. 2006
- [A plastic property in the change of rat muscle potentials clarified in the presence of neostigmine: a conjecture on the recycling process of ACh]I Uramoto
Department of Physiology, Institute for Developmental Research, Aichi Human Service Center, Kasugai, Aichi 480-0392, Japan
Nippon Seirigaku Zasshi 63:102-10. 2001..was evaluated in terms of muscle potentials evoked by a set of 10 stimuli in the presence and the absence of neostigmine using Wistar rats anesthetized with urethane...
- Coronary vasospasm during the reversal of neuromuscular block using neostigmineK Kido
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:1395-6. 2005
- Neostigmine added to lidocaine axillary plexus block for postoperative analgesiaA C Van Elstraete
Department of Anaesthesiology, Saint-Paul Medical Center, University Hospital, Fort-de-France, Martinique, France
Eur J Anaesthesiol 18:257-60. 2001BACKGROUND: AND OBJECTIVE: We have assessed the analgesic efficacy and side-effects of neostigmine when added to lidocaine for axillary brachial plexus block, in a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study...
- Ventricular fibrillation following atropine-neostigmine mixture in a patient with undiagnosed mitral valve prolapseA Zeidan
Anaesthesia 60:724-5. 2005
- The diacylglycerol lipase inhibitor RHC-80267 potentiates the relaxation to acetylcholine in rat mesenteric artery by anti-cholinesterase actionPhilippe Ghisdal
Laboratoire de Pharmacologie expérimentale Université Catholique de Louvain UCL 5410 Avenue Hippocrate, 54 B 1200 Bruxelles, Belgium
Eur J Pharmacol 517:97-102. 2005..b>Neostigmine, a cholinesterase inhibitor, produced the same effect as RHC-80267 on acetylcholine-evoked relaxation...
- Residual paralysis at the time of tracheal extubationGlenn S Murphy
Department of Anesthesiology, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, 2650 Ridge Ave, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Anesth Analg 100:1840-5. 2005..was maintained with rocuronium (visual train-of-four [TOF] count of 2) and all subjects were reversed with neostigmine at a TOF count of 2-4...
- Involvement of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis in hippocampal cholinergic system-mediated activation of the hypothalamo--pituitary--adrenocortical axis in ratsW Zhu
Department of Geriatrics, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsuruma-cho, Showa-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 466-8550, Japan
Brain Res 916:101-6. 2001..5 microg/microl of solution per side). Two weeks later, neostigmine was microinjected into the rats' hippocampus...
- Neostigmine-induced reversal of vecuronium in normal weight, overweight and obese female patientsT Suzuki
Department of Anaesthesiology, Surugadai Nihon University Hospital, 1 8 13, Kanda Surugadai, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo 101 8309, Japan
Br J Anaesth 97:160-3. 2006The purpose of this study was to compare neostigmine-induced reversal of vecuronium in normal weight, overweight and obese female patients.
- Stimulation of the hippocampal glutamate receptor systems induces stress-like responsesHiroyuki Umegaki
Department of Geriatrics, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Aichi, 466 8550, Japan
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 27:339-43. 2006..We also studied the interactions between glutamate and acetylcholine in this response in the hippocampus...
- Heart block and prolonged Q-Tc interval following muscle relaxant reversal: a case reportJohn A Shields
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
AANA J 76:41-5. 2008..this article, heart block occurred and the Q-Tc interval became prolonged after muscle relaxant reversal with neostigmine; both were considered to be related to the combination of agents used in the case, as well as to other ..
- Cholinergic innervation of the guinea-pig isolated vas deferensPravesh Solanki
Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3QT, UK
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 376:265-74. 2007..The bretylium-resistant component was potentiated by the acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitor neostigmine (10 microM) and inhibited by the muscarinic-receptor (mAChR) antagonist cyclopentolate (1 microM)...
- Role of activation of cholinergic influences in recovery of electrical activity of the stomach and small intestine during the early postoperative period in ratsN S Tropskaya
N V Sklifosovsky Institute of Urgent Care, Moscow
Bull Exp Biol Med 143:194-6. 2007The effects of neostigmine and calcium pantothenate on electrical activity of the stomach and small intestine were studied in chronic experiments on rats after laparotomy with implantation of a probe into the jejunum and electrodes into ..
- Cholinesterase activity is similar in C3H/HeJ and A/J mice and does not account for their different bronchoconstrictor responsivenessY Bulut
Department of Anesthesiology Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Exp Lung Res 25:367-78. 1999..We asked if administration of neostigmine (an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor) and/or succinylcholine (an agent which competes for and inhibits ..
- The effect of neuromuscular block and noxious stimulation on hypnosis monitoring during sevoflurane anesthesiaAndreas Ekman
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Section for Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Anesth Analg 105:688-95. 2007....
- Comparative in vivo effects of parathion on striatal acetylcholine accumulation in adult and aged ratsSubramanya Karanth
Department of Physiological Sciences, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, United States
Toxicology 239:167-79. 2007..synthesis or in vivo acetylcholine accumulation following direct infusion of the cholinesterase inhibitor neostigmine (1 microM) were noted...
- Sugammadex: a novel agent for the reversal of neuromuscular blockadeWayne T Nicholson
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Pharmacotherapy 27:1181-8. 2007..It provides a novel mechanism of action for reversal of the neuromuscular block induced by nondepolarizing aminosteroidal agents...
- Acute colonic pseudo-obstructionMichael D Saunders
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Washington Medical Center, 1959 Northeast Pacific Avenue, Suite AA103P, Box 356424, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 17:341-60, vi-vii. 2007..Appropriate management includes supportive therapy and selective use of neostigmine and colonoscopy for decompression. Early recognition and management are critical in minimizing complications.
- Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors neostigmine and physostigmine inhibit induction of alpha-amylase activity during seed germination in barley, Hordeum vulgare var. JyotiVeena Beri
Department of Botany, University of Delhi, Delhi, 110007, India
Life Sci 80:2386-8. 2007..Jyoti were germinated in the presence of ACh, its breakdown products - choline and acetate, and two antiAChE - neostigmine and physostigmine (all 10(-5) M)...
- Acetylcholine causes rooting in leaf explants of in vitro raised tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Miller) seedlingsKiran Bamel
Department of Botany, University of Delhi, Delhi 110007, India
Life Sci 80:2393-6. 2007..ACh appears to have a natural role in tomato rhizogenesis because exogenous application of neostigmine, an inhibitor of ACh hydrolysis, could mimic the effect of ACh...
- Cutaneous blood flow and sweat rate responses to exogenous administration of acetylcholine and methacholineKenichi Kimura
Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine, Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, TX 75231, USA
J Appl Physiol 102:1856-61. 2007..However, one of each of the ACh and MCh sites was also perfused with 10 microM neostigmine (an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor). Neostigmine at the ACh site induced a leftward shift (i.e...
- [Influence of neostigmine on the course of neuromuscular blockade with rocuronium or cisatracurium: a randomized, double-blind trial]J Barrio
Servicio de Anestesiologia, Hospital Arnau de Vilanova, Valencia
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 54:399-404. 2007To compare the time-course of neuromuscular blockade with rocuronium or cisatracurium during intravenous anesthesia, in terms of both the time to spontaneous recovery or time to reversal after administration of neostigmine.
- Intraoperative anaphylaxis after intravenous atropineD Coelho
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:289-90. 2007
- SYSTEMATIC STUDY OF SELECTIVE SPINAL ANALGESIA IN HUMANSJames Eisenach; Fiscal Year: 2006..Since 1992, we have introduced clonidine, neostigmine, and adenosine into clinical trails and probed their mechanisms of action and efficacy in animals, volunteers ..
- SYSTEMATIC STUDY OF SELECTIVE SPINAL ANALGESIA IN HUMANSJames Eisenach; Fiscal Year: 2003..Since 1992, we have introduced clonidine, neostigmine, and adenosine into clinical trails and probed their mechanisms of action and efficacy in animals, volunteers ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF COMPLEX RETINAL FIELDSNORBERTO GRZYWACZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..In particular, this model predicts the effects of neostigmine, a cholinesterase inhibitor, Cs+ and TEA, two K+-currents blockers, and Co2+, a synaptic blocker...
- Epidemiology and Mechanisms of Fecal IncontinenceAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- ANORECTAL MANIFESTATIONS OF FEMALE PELVIC FLOOR DISORDERAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Pathophysiology of Anorectal DisordersAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal will enhance our understanding of the mechanisms and assess novel approaches to manage FI. ..
- Pathophysiology of Anorectal DisordersAdil E Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will enhance our understanding of the mechanisms and assess novel approaches to manage FI. ..
- Viral Encephalitis, Chemokines and SleepLARRY D contact SANFORD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such understanding may provide insight that could lead to improved therapies and improved prognosis for infectious diseases. ..
- Anesthetics & cerebral cortical sensory integrationANTHONY HUDETZ; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- New PET Radiotracers-Monoamine TransportersMichael Kilbourn; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- CHOLINERGIC MECHANISMS OF BREATHING DURING SLEEPRalph Lydic; Fiscal Year: 1999..Together, the 5 specific aims will provide information essential for rational drug development and for other important adjuncts to the clinical management of state-dependent respiratory depression. ..
- NEUROBIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF ALTERED MOTOR CONTROL IN REMLARRY SANFORD; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies may lead to a better understanding of disorders of REM, such as REM behavior disorder, which, like REM-A, is characterized by overt behavior during sleep. ..
- NUCLEUS ACCUMBENS INVOLVEMENT IN COCAINE REINFORCEMENTGREGORY MARK; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is hoped that these results will further our understanding of the involvement of cholinergic mechanisms in drug-seeking and potentially to the development of clinically efficacious treatments for drug craving and relapse. ..
- CHOLINERGIC PHENOTYPE IN MURINE MODELS OF SLEEPRalph Lydic; Fiscal Year: 2002..Aim 4 will test the hypothesis that acetylcholine release in frontal association cortex is modulated by muscarinic cholinergic autoreceptors. Aim 4 will further determine the subtype of cortical muscarinic autoreceptor. ..
- VOLATILE ANESTHETICS AND CEREBRAL BLOOD FLOW REGULATIONANTHONY HUDETZ; Fiscal Year: 2000..They will determine if regional and agent-specific differences in microvascular vasodilation in response to volatile anesthetics are due to the effects of these agents on the GABA and NO neuronal systems. ..
- OPIOID INDUCED REM SLEEP INHIBITIONRalph Lydic; Fiscal Year: 2000..These aims are conceptually unified, and related to the long-term goal, by their ability to specify brain stem cholinergic neurons and mechanisms causally contributing to opioid-induced inhibition of REM sleep. ..
- Central Cholinergic Involvement in Cocaine AddictionGREGORY MARK; Fiscal Year: 2005....