Genomes and Genes
Summary: An antibiotic that is produced by Stretomyces achromogenes. It is used as an antineoplastic agent and to induce diabetes in experimental animals.
Publications292 found, 100 shown here
- Combination of high-fat diet-fed and low-dose streptozotocin-treated rat: a model for type 2 diabetes and pharmacological screeningK Srinivasan
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, Sector 67, Phase X, S A S Nagar, Mohali 160 062, Punjab, India
Pharmacol Res 52:313-20. 2005....
- The mechanisms of alloxan- and streptozotocin-induced diabetesS Lenzen
Institute of Clinical Biochemistry, Hannover Medical School, 30623, Hannover, Germany
Diabetologia 51:216-26. 2008..The targeting of mitochondrial DNA, thereby impairing the signalling function of beta cell mitochondrial metabolism, also explains how streptozotocin is able to inhibit glucose-induced insulin secretion...
- The mechanism of alloxan and streptozotocin action in B cells of the rat pancreasT Szkudelski
Department of Animal Physiology and Biochemistry, University of Agriculture, Poznan, Poland
Physiol Res 50:537-46. 2001..Furthermore, streptozotocin liberates toxic amounts of nitric oxide that inhibits aconitase activity and participates in DNA damage. As a result of the streptozotocin action, B cells undergo the destruction by necrosis...
- Mechanisms underlying endothelial dysfunction in diabetes mellitusU Hink
Universitatskrankenhaus Eppendorf, Germany
Circ Res 88:E14-22. 2001..The full text of this article is available at http://www.circresaha.org...
- Intracerebroventricular injection of streptozotocin in rats produces both oxidative stress in the brain and cognitive impairmentM Sharma
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Life Sci 68:1021-9. 2001..The study demonstrates that intracerebroventricular STZ may be appropriate model for investigations of antioxidants as potential treatment in Alzheimer's dementia...
- Fluorouracil, doxorubicin, and streptozocin in the treatment of patients with locally advanced and metastatic pancreatic endocrine carcinomasMaria A Kouvaraki
Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Clin Oncol 22:4762-71. 2004..Response rates ranging from 6% to 69% have been reported for streptozocin-based chemotherapy...
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor signaling modulates beta cell apoptosisYazhou Li
Department of Medicine, Banting and Best Diabetes Centre, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
J Biol Chem 278:471-8. 2003....
- Coenzyme Q10 modulates cognitive impairment against intracerebroventricular injection of streptozotocin in ratsTauheed Ishrat
Neurotoxicology Laboratory, Department of Medical Elementology and Toxicology, Jamia Hamdard Hamdard University, New Delhi, India
Behav Brain Res 171:9-16. 2006..However, supplementation with CoQ10 in STZ-infused rats reversed all the parameters significantly. Thus, the study demonstrates that CoQ10 may have a therapeutic importance in the treatment of Alzheimer's type dementia...
- Genotoxicity of streptozotocinAlejandro D Bolzán
Laboratorio de Citogenética y Mutagénesis, Instituto Multidisciplinario de Biología Celular IMBICE, C C 403, 1900, La Plata, Argentina
Mutat Res 512:121-34. 2002Streptozotocin (Streptozocin, STZ, CAS No. 18883-66-4) is a monofunctional nitrosourea derivative isolated from Streptomyces achromogenes...
- Effect of memantine on neuroretinal function and retinal vascular changes of streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsJyotirmoy Kusari
Department of Biological Sciences, Allergan Inc, Irvine, CA 92623 9534, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:5152-9. 2007..To test whether chronic memantine (MEM) treatment improves retinal function and prevents neurodegeneration and vascular changes in the retinas of streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats...
- Rodent models of streptozotocin-induced diabetic nephropathyGreg H Tesch
Department of Nephrology, Monash University, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Nephrology (Carlton) 12:261-6. 2007....
- In vivo silencing of the Ca(V)3.2 T-type calcium channels in sensory neurons alleviates hyperalgesia in rats with streptozocin-induced diabetic neuropathyRichard B Messinger
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, P O Box 800710, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Pain 145:184-95. 2009Earlier, we showed that streptozocin (STZ)-induced type 1 diabetes in rats leads to the development of painful peripheral diabetic neuropathy (PDN) manifested as thermal hyperalgesia and mechanical allodynia accompanied by significant ..
- Molecular role of GATA binding protein 4 (GATA-4) in hyperglycemia-induced reduction of cardiac contractilityPo Ming Ku
Department of Medical Research, Chi Mei Medical Center, NO, 901 Chon Hwa Road, Yong Kang, Tainan City, Taiwan
Cardiovasc Diabetol 10:57. 2011..GATA binding protein 4 (GATA-4) regulates the expression of many cardio-structural genes including cardiac troponin-I (cTnI)...
- Renal effects of plant-derived oleanolic acid in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsR F Mapanga
Disciplines of Human Physiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of KwaZulu Natal, Westville Campus, Private Bag X54001, Durban, South Africa
Ren Fail 31:481-91. 2009..OA also caused significant decreases in MAP in non-diabetic and STZ-induced diabetic rats. These findings suggest that OA may have beneficial effects on some processes associated with renal derangement of STZ-induced diabetic rats...
- A novel dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor DA-1229 ameliorates streptozotocin-induced diabetes by increasing β-cell replication and neogenesisJae Min Cho
Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Irwon dong, Gangnam Gu, Seoul 135 710, Republic of Korea
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 91:72-9. 2011..These results suggest a therapeutic potential of DA-1229 in diabetes, particularly that associated with decreased β-cell mass...
- Noninvasive monitoring of β-cell mass and fetal β-cell genesis in mice using bioluminescence imagingYukari Sekiguchi
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
Exp Anim 61:445-51. 2012..In summary, we show that bioluminescence imaging of mice expressing a β-cell specific reporter allows detection of changes in β-cell mass and visualization of fetal β-cell neogenesis in uteri...
- Glycemic control promotes pancreatic beta-cell regeneration in streptozotocin-induced diabetic miceEric J Grossman
Department of Surgery, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e8749. 2010..We have investigated the effect of insulin treatment on pancreatic beta-cell regeneration in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice, and, in addition, report on a new approach to quantify beta-cell regeneration in vivo...
- Protective effect of Lycium barbarum polysaccharides on streptozotocin-induced oxidative stress in ratsX M Li
School of Food Engineering of XingJang Agriculture College, Urumqi City, XinJiang 832000, PR China
Int J Biol Macromol 40:461-5. 2007..Therefore, we may assume that LBP is effective in the protection of liver and kidney tissue from the damage of STZ-induced diabetic rats and that the LBP may be of use as a antihyperglycemia agent...
- Antihyperglycemic effect of diosmin on hepatic key enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism in streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced diabetic ratsLeelavinothan Pari
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Chidambaram, 608002 Tamilnadu, India
Biomed Pharmacother 64:477-81. 2010..Furthermore, protection against body weight loss of diabetic animals was also observed. These results showed that diosmin has potential antihyperglycemic activity in streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced diabetic rats...
- Pancreatic islet beta cell protective effect of oral vanadyl sulphate in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, an ultrastructure studyS Ahmadi
Kurdistan Center for Cellular and Molecular Research, Faculty of Medicine, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences, Sanandaj, Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 13:1135-40. 2010....
- The rat model of type 2 diabetic mellitus and its glycometabolism charactersFanglin Zhang
Ruijin Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai Institute of Endocrinology, P R China
Exp Anim 52:401-7. 2003..Such a model, easily attainable and inexpensive, would help further elucidation of the underlying mechanisms of diabetes and its complications...
- Aldose reductase inhibitor fidarestat counteracts diabetes-associated cataract formation, retinal oxidative-nitrosative stress, glial activation, and apoptosisViktor R Drel
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Louisiana State University System, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Int J Mol Med 21:667-76. 2008....
- A critical role of STAT1 in streptozotocin-induced diabetic liver injury in mice: controlled by ATF3Ji Yeon Kim
Division of Intractable Diseases, Center for Biomedical Sciences, National Institutes of Health, 194 Tongillo, Eunpyeong gu, Seoul 122 701, Korea
Cell Signal 21:1758-67. 2009..ATF3 functions as a potent regulator of STAT1 stability, accelerating STZ-induced diabetes and diabetic liver injury...
- Accurate measurement of pancreatic islet beta-cell mass using a second-generation fluorescent exendin-4 analogThomas Reiner
Center for Systems Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:12815-20. 2011..This near-infrared imaging probe, as well as future radioisotope-labeled versions of it, should prove to be important tools for monitoring diabetes, progression, and treatment in both experimental and clinical contexts...
- Extent and persistence of streptozotocin-induced DNA damage and cell proliferation in rat kidney as determined by in vivo alkaline elution and BrdUrd labeling assaysA R Kraynak
Department of Genetic and Cellular Toxicology, Merck Research Laboratory, West Point, Pennsylvania 19486, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 135:279-86. 1995..Thus, to avoid potential additive or synergistic effects on STZ-induced nephrotoxicity and/or genotoxicity, a delay in the start of experimental therapies in this model (other than insulin) should be considered...
- Activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-β/-δ (PPARβ/δ) prevents endothelial dysfunction in type 1 diabetic ratsAna María Quintela
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, University of Granada, 18071 Granada, Spain
Free Radic Biol Med 53:730-41. 2012..This effect seems to be related to an increase in nitric oxide bioavailability as a result of reduced NADPH oxidase-driven superoxide production and downregulation of prepro endothelin-1...
- Spatial distribution of glucose hypometabolism induced by intracerebroventricular streptozotocin in monkeysJae Hyeok Heo
Department of Neurology, Seoul Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Alzheimers Dis 25:517-23. 2011..The findings demonstrate that the effect of icv-STZ is regionally specific, lending further support for the method as a model of AD pathogenesis...
- Tumor necrosis factor alpha pathways develops liver apoptosis in type 1 diabetes mellitusPaola I Ingaramo
Institute of Experimental Physiology CONICET, Faculty of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences National University of Rosario, Rosario, Argentina
Mol Immunol 48:1397-407. 2011..Overall, we demonstrated that in the diabetes enhances TNF-α in the liver, which may be a fundamental key leading to apoptotic cell death, through activation of caspase-8, NFκB and JNK pathways...
- Pretreatment with Rhodiola rosea extract reduces cognitive impairment induced by intracerebroventricular streptozotocin in rats: implication of anti-oxidative and neuroprotective effectsZe qiang Qu
Division of Neuroscience, Department of Histology and Embryology, Zhongshan School of Medicine, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, Guangdong, China
Biomed Environ Sci 22:318-26. 2009..To investigate the pretreatment effects of Rhodiola rosea (R. rosea) extract on cognitive dysfunction, oxidative stress in hippocampus and hippocampal neuron injury in a rat model of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic activity of ethyl acetate:isopropanol (1:1) fraction of Vernonia anthelmintica seeds in streptozotocin induced diabetic ratsShaik Sameena Fatima
Department of Biochemistry, S V University, Tirupati 517502, AP, India
Food Chem Toxicol 48:495-501. 2010..anthelmintica seeds. From the present study, it is evident that, the seeds of V. anthelmintica possess significant antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic property without evident toxic effects...
- Rho kinase and protein kinase C involvement in vascular smooth muscle myofilament calcium sensitization in arteries from diabetic ratsI V Kizub
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, Kiev, Ukraine
Br J Pharmacol 159:1724-31. 2010..We postulated that in DM, Ca(2+) sensitization occurs in diabetic arteries due to increased ROCK and/or PKC activity...
- Phase II/III study of doxorubicin with fluorouracil compared with streptozocin with fluorouracil or dacarbazine in the treatment of advanced carcinoid tumors: Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study E1281Weijing Sun
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4283, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:4897-904. 2005..Optimal treatments for metastatic carcinoid tumor remain undefined, and the role of chemotherapy for symptomatic patients with progressive disease is uncertain...
- Attenuation of endothelial dysfunction by exercise training in STZ-induced diabetic ratsDaroonwan Chakraphan
School of Sports Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 32:217-26. 2005..These findings support the notion that regular exercise training could be a fundamental form of therapy in preventing diabetic cardiovascular complications potentiated by endothelial dysfunction...
- Effect of donepezil and lercanidipine on memory impairment induced by intracerebroventricular streptozotocin in ratsSwapnil Sonkusare
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, S A S Nagar 160062, Punjab, India
Life Sci 77:1-14. 2005..3 mg/kg) showed significant improvement in memory. When administered together, the effect of combination of these two drugs on memory and cholinesterase activity was higher than that obtained with either of the drugs when used alone...
- Insulin receptor signaling in rat hippocampus: a study in STZ (ICV) induced memory deficit modelRahul Agrawal
Division of Pharmacology, Central Drug Research Institute, CSIR, Lucknow 226001, India
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 21:261-73. 2011..Hippocampal IR system might be playing an important role in regulation of memory functions, however only IR/IRS-1/Akt pathway in CA3 region is associated with STZ induced memory deficit...
- Curcumin attenuates thermal hyperalgesia in a diabetic mouse model of neuropathic painSameer Sharma
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Eur J Pharmacol 536:256-61. 2006..These results indicate an antinociceptive activity of curcumin possibly through its inhibitory action on NO and TNF-alpha release and point towards its potential to attenuate diabetic neuropathic pain...
- Treatment of advanced medullary thyroid cancer with an alternating combination of doxorubicin-streptozocin and 5 FU-dacarbazine. Groupe d'Etude des Tumeurs Ã Calcitonine (GETC)M Nocera
, Institute Gustave Roussy, Villejuif Cedex, 94805, France
Br J Cancer 83:715-8. 2000Combinations of doxorubicin and streptozocin and 5-FU and dacarbazine were given alternately to 20 patients with metastatic medullary thyroid carcinoma. Three partial responses and 10 long-term stabilizations were observed...
- Ladostigil prevents gliosis, oxidative-nitrative stress and memory deficits induced by intracerebroventricular injection of streptozotocin in ratsShai Shoham
Research Department, Herzog Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Neuropharmacology 52:836-43. 2007..Taken together the data support the role of glial activation and oxidative-nitrative stress in discrete brain areas in the aetiology of memory deficits and indicate a potential mechanism for their prevention by drug treatment...
- Antihyperlipidemic effect of peucedanum pastinacifolium extract in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsAhmad Movahedian
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Isfahan Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 65:629-33. 2010..Peucedanum pastinacifolium Boiss. & Hausskn. is commonly used as an antihyperlipidemic vegetable in Iranian folk medicine...
- Antidiabetic effect of aqueous extract of seed of Tamarindus indica in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsR Maiti
Reproductive Endocrinology and Family Welfare Research Unit, Department of Human Physiology with Community Health, Vidyasagar University, Midnapore 721102, West Bengal, India
J Ethnopharmacol 92:85-91. 2004..All these parameters were not resettled to the controlled level after 7 days of this extract supplementation but after 14 days of this supplementation, all the above mentioned parameters were restored to the control level...
- Interrelationship of dipeptidyl peptidase IV (DPP4) with the development of diabetes, dyslipidaemia and nephropathy: a streptozotocin-induced model using wild-type and DPP4-deficient ratsYasushi Kirino
Department of Human Genetics and Public Health, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, The University of Tokushima, Kuramoto Cho, Tokushima, Japan
J Endocrinol 200:53-61. 2009..DPP4 activation may be responsible for hyperglycaemia, lipid metabolism and preservation of renal function...
- Ontogeny of regeneration of beta-cells in the neonatal rat after treatment with streptozotocinSandra Thyssen
Lawson Health Research Institute, St Joseph s Health Care, London, Ontario, Canada
Endocrinology 147:2346-56. 2006..The target cells of GLP-1 probably include immature beta-cells that coexpress proglucagon...
- Dysregulation of insulin signaling, glucose transporters, O-GlcNAcylation, and phosphorylation of tau and neurofilaments in the brain: Implication for Alzheimer's diseaseYanqiu Deng
Department of Neurochemistry, New York State Institute for Basic Research in Developmental Disabilities, Staten Island, New York, NY 10314, USA
Am J Pathol 175:2089-98. 2009....
- Brain insulin system dysfunction in streptozotocin intracerebroventricularly treated rats generates hyperphosphorylated tau proteinEdna Grunblatt
Clinical Neurochemistry and National Parkinson Foundation Centre of Excellence Laboratory, Clinic for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Bayrische Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
J Neurochem 101:757-70. 2007..Brain insulin system dysfunction is discussed as possible pathological core in the generation of hyperphosphorylated tau protein as a morphological marker of sporadic Alzheimer's disease...
- Insulin-resistant brain state after intracerebroventricular streptozotocin injection exacerbates Alzheimer-like changes in Tg2576 AbetaPP-overexpressing miceKonstanze Plaschke
Clinic of Anesthesiology, University of Heidelberg Medical School, Heidelberg, Germany
J Alzheimers Dis 19:691-704. 2010..In conclusion, IRBS may aggravate AD-like changes such as behavioral and increase the formation of pathomorphological AD hallmarks via GSK-3alpha/beta pathway in AbetaPP-overexpressing mice...
- Very slow turnover of beta-cells in aged adult miceMonica Teta
Division of Endocrinology, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 3615 Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Diabetes 54:2557-67. 2005..Although some pancreatic components acquired BrdU label in a linear fashion, only 1 in approximately 1,400 adult beta-cells were found to undergo replication per day. We conclude that adult beta-cells are very long lived...
- Protection of rat pancreatic islet function and viability by coculture with rat bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cellsE Karaoz
Stem Cell and Gene Therapy Research and Application Center, Kocaeli University, Kocaeli, Turkey
Cell Death Dis 1:e36. 2010....
- Mice lacking the poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase gene are resistant to pancreatic beta-cell destruction and diabetes development induced by streptozocinV Burkart
Diabetes Research Institute at the Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf, Germany
Nat Med 5:314-9. 1999..PARP-/- mice) are completely resistant to the development of diabetes induced by the beta-cell toxin streptozocin. The mice remained normoglycemic and maintained normal levels of total pancreatic insulin content and normal ..
- Importance of extranuclear estrogen receptor-alpha and membrane G protein-coupled estrogen receptor in pancreatic islet survivalSuhuan Liu
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Diabetes 58:2292-302. 2009..E(2) also activates nongenomic signals via an extranuclear form of ERalpha and the G protein-coupled estrogen receptor (GPER). We studied the contribution of estrogen receptors to islet survival...
- Modulatory effects of resveratrol on attenuating the key enzymes activities of carbohydrate metabolism in streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced diabetic ratsP Palsamy
Research Scholar, Department of Biochemistry, University of Madras, Guindy Campus, Chennai 600025, Tamilnadu, India
Chem Biol Interact 179:356-62. 2009..Thus, the modulatory effects of resveratrol on attenuating these enzymes activities afford a promise for widespread use for treatment of diabetes in the future...
- Diabetes-induced oxidative stress and low-grade inflammation in porcine coronary arteriesLifeng Zhang
Department of Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Circulation 108:472-8. 2003..Accordingly, the mechanisms of abnormal formation of reactive oxygen species and the changes in inflammatory gene expression were examined in diabetic coronary arteries...
- Topical administration of nepafenac inhibits diabetes-induced retinal microvascular disease and underlying abnormalities of retinal metabolism and physiologyTimothy S Kern
Medicine and Ophthalmology, 434 Biomedical Research Building, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Diabetes 56:373-9. 2007..Local inhibition of inflammatory pathways in the eye offers a novel therapeutic approach toward inhibiting the development of lesions of diabetic retinopathy...
- Contradictory effects of short- and long-term hyperglycemias on ischemic injury of myocardium via intracellular signaling pathwayGuang Xu
Department of Pathology II, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8602, Japan
Exp Mol Pathol 76:57-65. 2004..This study demonstrated that short- and long-term hyperglycemias exert opposite influences on ischemic myocardial injury, and these contradictory influences may depend on an ERK1/2-mediated intracellular signaling pathway...
- Resveratrol, an activator of SIRT1, upregulates sarcoplasmic calcium ATPase and improves cardiac function in diabetic cardiomyopathyM Sulaiman
Dept of Physiology and Biophysics, Univ of Illinois, Chicago, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 298:H833-43. 2010....
- Amelioration of diabetes by imatinib mesylate (Gleevec): role of beta-cell NF-kappaB activation and anti-apoptotic preconditioningRobert Hägerkvist
Department of Medical Cell Biology, Uppsala University, Biomedicum, P O Box 571, SE 75123 Uppsala, Sweden
FASEB J 21:618-28. 2007..We conclude that imatinib mediates beta-cell survival and that this could contribute to the beneficial effects observed in diabetes...
- Supplementation with undenatured whey protein during diabetes mellitus improves the healing and closure of diabetic wounds through the rescue of functional long-lived wound macrophagesGamal Badr
Deanship of Scientific Research, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Cell Physiol Biochem 29:571-82. 2012..Most important, the supplementation of diabetic mice with WP rescued functional, long-lived wound-resident macrophages. Our data reveal the benefits of WP supplementation in improving the healing and closure of diabetic wounds...
- Paclitaxel therapy potentiates cold hyperalgesia in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats through enhanced mitochondrial reactive oxygen species production and TRPA1 sensitizationDavid André Barrière
Clermont Universite, Universite d Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France
Pain 153:553-61. 2012....
- Increased inner ear susceptibility to noise injury in mice with streptozotocin-induced diabetesTakeshi Fujita
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Diabetes 61:2980-6. 2012....
- Evaluation of trace elements and oxidative stress levels in the liver and kidney of streptozotocin-induced experimental diabetic rat modelDervis Ozcelik
Department of Biophysics, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Gen Physiol Biophys 30:356-63. 2011..Therefore, these findings may contribute to explain the role of impaired ion metabolism of some elements in the progression of diabetic oxidative complications...
- Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 promotes the development of diabetic renal injury in streptozotocin-treated miceF Y Chow
Department of Nephrology, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Kidney Int 69:73-80. 2006..In conclusion, our study demonstrates that MCP-1-mediated macrophage accumulation and activation plays a critical role in the development of STZ-induced mouse diabetic nephropathy...
- Proteomic analysis of protease resistant proteins in the diabetic rat kidneySneha B Bansode
Proteomics Facility, Division of Biochemical Sciences, CSIR National Chemical Laboratory, Pune 411008, India
Mol Cell Proteomics 12:228-36. 2013..These findings suggested that the accumulation of protein aggregates is an inevitable consequence of impaired proteasomal activity and protease resistance due to advanced glycation end products modification...
- Advanced glycation end products induce a prothrombotic phenotype in mice via interaction with platelet CD36Weifei Zhu
Department of Cell Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Blood 119:6136-44. 2012..Therefore, the results of the present study couple vascular complications in diabetes mellitus with AGE-CD36-mediated platelet signaling and hyperreactivity...
- Targeted inhibition of calpain reduces myocardial hypertrophy and fibrosis in mouse models of type 1 diabetesYing Li
Critical Illness Research, Lawson Health Research Institute, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Diabetes 60:2985-94. 2011..This study was undertaken to investigate whether targeted disruption of calpain would reduce myocardial hypertrophy and fibrosis in mouse models of type 1 diabetes...
- Absorption, transport and insulin-mimetic properties of bis(maltolato)oxovanadium (IV) in streptozotocin-induced hyperglycemic rats by integrated mass spectrometric techniquesT Iglesias-González
Department of Physical and Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Oviedo, Oviedo, Spain
Anal Bioanal Chem 402:277-85. 2012..The obtained HPLC-ICP-MS results, confirmed by MALDI-MS data, showed evidence that V, administered orally, is uniquely bound to transferrin in rat serum...
- Hypoglycaemic effects of antidiabetic drugs in streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced mildly diabetic and streptozotocin-induced severely diabetic ratsAtsuo Tahara
Drug Discovery Research, Astellas Pharma Inc, Ibaraki, Japan
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 103:560-8. 2008....
- Anti-diabetic effects of sodium 4-amino-2,6-dipicolinatodioxovanadium(V) dihydrate in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsMing Li
College of Life Sciences, Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, No 19A YuQuan Road, Beijing, China
J Inorg Biochem 103:585-9. 2009..These results suggested that V5dipic-NH(2), as an organic vanadium compound, is more effective than inorganic vanadium salt at alleviating the symptoms of diabetes...
- Efficacy of coumarin on hepatic key enzymes of glucose metabolism in chemical induced type 2 diabetic ratsLeelavinothan Pari
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608002, Tamilnadu, India
Chem Biol Interact 181:292-6. 2009..This study indicates that the administration of coumarin to diabetic rats resulted in alterations in the metabolism of glucose with subsequent reduction in plasma glucose levels...
- Chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil, cisplatin and streptozocin for neuroendocrine tumoursN C Turner
Department of Oncology, UCL Medical School, Royal Free Campus, London, UK
Br J Cancer 102:1106-12. 2010..The role of chemotherapy for neuroendocrine tumours remains controversial and there is no standard regimen...
- Insulin-resistant brain state: the culprit in sporadic Alzheimer's disease?Sónia C Correia
Center for Neuroscience and Cell Biology of Coimbra, University of Coimbra, Portugal
Ageing Res Rev 10:264-73. 2011....
- Ongoing beta-cell turnover in adult nonhuman primates is not adaptively increased in streptozotocin-induced diabetesYoshifumi Saisho
Larry Hillblom Islet Research Center, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Diabetes 60:848-56. 2011....
- Effects of minocycline plus tissue plasminogen activator combination therapy after focal embolic stroke in type 1 diabetic ratsXiang Fan
Departmens of Neurology and Radiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Stroke 44:745-52. 2013..In this study, we asked whether minocycline combined with intravenous tPA may ameliorate inflammation and brain injury after focal embolic stroke in type 1 diabetic rats...
- Conditional and specific inhibition of NF-κB in mouse pancreatic β cells prevents cytokine-induced deleterious effects and improves islet survival posttransplantJonathan S Rink
Department of Surgery and Comprehensive Transplant Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Surgery 151:330-9. 2012..We hypothesized that inhibition of NF-κB activity will decrease cytokine-mediated β-cell injury and improve islet transplant functional outcome...
- Cognitive dysfunction and hippocampal changes in experimental type 1 diabetesEdgardo O Alvarez
Pharmacology Area, Medical Sciences Faculty, National University of Cuyo, Mendoza, Argentina
Behav Brain Res 198:224-30. 2009..Correlatively, these alterations were in line with a reduced performance in learning and memory tests. The mechanism that could potentially link neural and behavioural disturbances is not yet fully comprehended...
- Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase gene disruption conferred mice resistant to streptozotocin-induced diabetesM Masutani
Biochemistry Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute, 1 1 Tsukiji 5 chome, Chuo Ku, Tokyo, 104 0045 Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:2301-4. 1999..In contrast, the extent of islet beta-cell death and dysfunction was markedly less in Parp-/- mice. Our findings clearly implicate Parp activation in islet beta-cell damage and glucose intolerance induced by STZ in vivo...
- Quercetin allievates oxidative stress in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsT Mahesh
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, India
Phytother Res 18:123-7. 2004..Quercetin at lower doses was found to be more effective. These result indicate that quercetin ameliorated the diabetes-induced changes in oxidative stress...
- In-vivo assessment of antidiabetic and antioxidant activities of grapevine leaves (Vitis vinifera) in diabetic ratsNilüfer Orhan
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Gazi University, Hipodrom 6330, Ankara, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 108:280-6. 2006..The results showed that EtOAc Fr. was rich in polyphenolics and possessed a significant antihyperglycaemic and antioxidant activity equipotent with the reference hypoglycaemic agent (tolbutamide), when evaluated in diabetic rats...
- All-trans retinoic acid rescues memory deficits and neuropathological changes in mouse model of streptozotocin-induced dementia of Alzheimer's typeRupinder K Sodhi
Pharmacology Division, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research, Faculty of Medicine, Punjabi University, Patiala 147002, Punjab, India
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 40:38-46. 2013..The findings demonstrate that the memory restorative ability of ATRA may be attributed to its anti-cholinesterase, anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory potential...
- Finding GAD: early detection of beta-cell injurySimon A Hinke
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health and Science University MRB322 L 474, 3181 Southwest Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Endocrinology 148:4568-71. 2007
- Treadmill exercise improves cognitive function and facilitates nerve growth factor signaling by activating mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase1/2 in the streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat hippocampusC H Chae
School of Sport Science, Sungkyunkwan University, Chunchun dong, Jangan gu, Suwon 440 746, South Korea
Neuroscience 164:1665-73. 2009..These results show that treadmill exercise improves cognitive function, increases the number of BrdU-labeled cells, and increases NGF levels, by the activation of the MAPK/Erk1/2 signaling pathway in the hippocampus of diabetic rats...
- Advanced glycation end products and ultrastructural changes in corneas of long-term streptozotocin-induced diabetic monkeysChunlin Zou
Cell Therapy Center, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Cornea 31:1455-9. 2012..The purpose of this study was to investigate the ultrastructural corneal changes of chronic diabetic monkeys and explore the relationship between advanced glycation end products and ultrastructural changes in diabetic corneas...
- Hyperglycaemia and infarct size in animal models of middle cerebral artery occlusion: systematic review and meta-analysisNiall J J MacDougall
Institute of Neuroscience and Psychology, Southern General Hospital, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 31:807-18. 2011..Insulin had a nonsignificant and significantly heterogeneous effect. Further studies with relevant models may inform clinical trial design...
- S-allyl cysteine attenuates oxidative stress associated cognitive impairment and neurodegeneration in mouse model of streptozotocin-induced experimental dementia of Alzheimer's typeHayate Javed
Neurotoxicology Laboratory, Department of Medical Elementology and Toxicology Fund for the Improvement of Science and Technology sponsored by DST and Special Assistance Programme sponsored by UGC, Jamia Hamdard Hamdard University, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi 110062, India
Brain Res 1389:133-42. 2011..This study concludes that intervention of SAC could prevent free radicals associated deterioration of cognitive functions and neurobehavioral activities...
- Oxidative stress and COX cause hyper-responsiveness in vascular smooth muscle of the femoral artery from diabetic ratsY Shi
Department of Pharmacology, Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Br J Pharmacol 154:639-51. 2008..To investigate the dysfunction of vascular smooth muscle in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats...
- Neuroprotective effect of ginger on anti-oxidant enzymes in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsKondeti Ramudu Shanmugam
Division of Molecular Biology and Exercise Physiology, Department of Zoology, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, AP 517 502, India
Food Chem Toxicol 49:893-7. 2011..Thus, ginger may be used as therapeutic agent in preventing complications in diabetic patients...
- Sensitized peripheral nociception in experimental diabetes of the ratD Fuchs
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Universitätsstr 17, Erlangen, Germany
Pain 151:496-505. 2010..Ongoing C-fiber discharge is known to induce spinal sensitization. Together with altered receptor and ion channel expressions this may contribute to painful episodes in diabetic neuropathy...
- Cerebral amyloid angiopathy in streptozotocin rat model of sporadic Alzheimer's disease: a long-term follow up studyMelita Salkovic-Petrisic
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
J Neural Transm 118:765-72. 2011....
- The antidiabetic effect of MSCs is not impaired by insulin prophylaxis and is not improved by a second dose of cellsFernando Ezquer
Facultad de Medicina, Instituto de Ciencias, Clinica Alemana Universidad Del Desarrollo, Santiago, Chile
PLoS ONE 6:e16566. 2011..Cells should be isolated form healthy donor, insulin prophylaxis could be maintained and a second dose, after an elapse of two months, appears unnecessary in the medium-term...
- Bradykinin inhibits high glucose- and growth factor-induced collagen synthesis in mesangial cells through the B2-kinin receptorNelly Blaes
INSERM U1048, Institut des Maladies Métaboliques et Cardiovasculaires I2MC, Universite Paul Sabatier, Toulouse cedex France
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 303:F293-303. 2012..Taken together, the data support the hypothesis of an antifibrosing effect of B2R activation...
- Effect of varying dose and administration of streptozotocin on blood sugar in male CD1 miceJ Ventura-Sobrevilla
Posgrado en Biologia Experimental, Division de Ciencias Biologicas y de la Salud, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitona lztapalapa, Mexico
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 54:5-9. 2011..Therefore we concluded that a high dose STZ produces severe hyperglycemia in mice similar to a type 1 diabetic, and three successive administrations of STZ induces mild hyperglycemia in mice similar to type 2 diabetics...
- Mechanisms underlining gender differences in Phenylephrine contraction of normoglycaemic and short-term Streptozotocin-induced diabetic WKY rat aortaU I Aloysius
Faculty of Pharmacy, University Technology MARA, Puncak Alam, 42300, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Vascul Pharmacol 57:81-90. 2012..In conclusion, there is an endothelium-dependent gender difference in the effect of short term diabetes on vascular tissue reactivity which is COX mediated...
- Effective glycemic control achieved by transplanting non-viral cationic liposome-mediated VEGF-transfected islets in streptozotocin-induced diabetic miceHee Young Chae
Samsung Biomedical Research Institute, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul 100 380, Korea
Exp Mol Med 37:513-23. 2005..However, hyperglycemia was completely abrogated in the IT-pJDK-VEGF transduced group (8/8), and viable islets and increased VEGF-transfected grafts vascularization were observed in renal capsules...
- Intracerebroventricular injection of streptozotocin causes neurotoxicity to myelin that contributes to spatial memory deficits in ratsS Shoham
Research Department, Herzog Hospital, School of Pharmacy, Hebrew University Medical Centre, Jerusalem, Israel
Exp Neurol 184:1043-52. 2003..The selective damage to myelin may well result from oxidative stress...
- The doxorubicin-streptozotocin combination for the treatment of advanced well-differentiated pancreatic endocrine carcinoma; a judicious option?Th Delaunoit
Department of Gastroenterology, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif, France
Eur J Cancer 40:515-20. 2004..7 months, and suggests that it could be considered as a valid option in first-line therapy...
- Chronic administration of pioglitazone attenuates intracerebroventricular streptozotocin induced-memory impairment in ratsAsif R Pathan
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, S A S Nagar 160062, Punjab, India
Life Sci 79:2209-16. 2006....
- Effect of long term, non cholesterol lowering dose of fluvastatin treatment on oxidative stress in brain and peripheral tissues of streptozotocin-diabetic ratsAhmet Cumaoglu
Gazi University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medical Biochemistry, Tandogan, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Pharmacol 654:80-5. 2011..Hence, antioxidant property of fluvastatin, independent of cholesterol lowering effect, may play a role in prevention of diabetic complications. Clinical relevance of this effect of fluvastatin seems worthy of further studies...
- Amelioration of intracerebroventricular streptozotocin induced cognitive dysfunction and oxidative stress by vinpocetine -- a PDE1 inhibitorRahul Deshmukh
Division of Neuropharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, ISF College of Pharmacy, Punjab, India
Eur J Pharmacol 620:49-56. 2009..The observed beneficial effects of vinpocetine on spatial memory may be due to its ability to favorably modulate cholinergic functions, prevent neuronal cell damage and possibly through its antioxidant mechanism also...
- SP600125, a competitive inhibitor of JNK attenuates streptozotocin induced neurocognitive deficit and oxidative stress in ratsNidhi Sharma
Neuropharmacology Division, Department of Pharmacology, I S F College of Pharmacy, Moga 142001, Punjab, India
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 96:386-94. 2010..In line with previous report, the current study also supports the potential of JNK inhibition as a possible therapeutic strategy to ameliorate neurodegenerative disorders associated with oxidative stress and cognitive impairment...
- Adiponectin gene therapy of streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice using hydrodynamic injectionMasayoshi Fukushima
Institute of Medicinal Chemistry, Hoshi University, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8501, Japan
J Gene Med 9:976-85. 2007..However, successful delivery of Adipo to the receptors is difficult due to their peptide characteristics. Receptors for Adipo are abundantly expressed in the liver and skeletal muscle...
- Vitamin C supplementation reconstitutes polyfunctional T cells in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsGamal Badr
Zoology Department, College of Science, King Saud University, P O Box 2455, Riyadh, 11451, Saudi Arabia
Eur J Nutr 51:623-33. 2012..Other study reported that leukocyte vitamin C level was low in diabetic individuals compared with nondiabetic controls...
- Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-deficient mice are protected from streptozotocin-induced diabetesA A Pieper
Departments of Neuroscience, Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences, and Psychiatry, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:3059-64. 1999..Partial protection occurs in PARP +/- animals. Thus, PARP activation may participate in the pathophysiology of type I diabetes, for which PARP inhibitors might afford therapeutic benefit...
- The antioxidant effect of angiotensin II receptor blocker, losartan, in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsMaria Kamper
Department of Experimental Physiology, Medical School, University of Athens, GR 115 27, Athens, Greece
Transl Res 156:26-36. 2010..Conclusively, in the STZ diabetic rat model, even a short-term losartan treatment improves oxidative and nitrosative stress systemically and locally, improving the islets' environment and accelerating beta-cell regeneration...
- Mechanisms of ileal-induced weight lossAPRIL STRADER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Together these specific aims will help clarify the mechanisms underlying obesity surgery and may contribute to the development of more effective treatments for obesity. ..
- Neurorestorative Strategy for Diabetic Peripheral NeuropathyFeng Qiao Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..dorsal root ganglion (DRG) cultures and the neuroregenerative effect on neurite outgrowth of DRGs from adult streptozocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats...
- Mechanism for Reduced Adrenomedullary Epinephrine Release in Type 1 DiabetesBRANLY OSVALDO ORBAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..acetylcholine receptor (mAchR) signaling is impaired in adrenomedullary chromaffin cells isolated from streptozocin (STZ)-treated diabetic rats and that type 3 mAchR, a predominant receptor subtype in the adrenal medulla, is ..
- Adipose Stem Cells for Diabetic RetinopathySHAYN PEIRCE-COTTLER; Fiscal Year: 2013..induction and/or EC hyper-proliferation in three relevant murine models: oxygen-induced retinopathy (OIR), streptozocin induced diabetes (STZ), and Akimba whose pathological outcomes are related to early non-proliferative and late ..
- Impact of Neprilysin on Islet FunctionSakeneh Zraika; Fiscal Year: 2013..Second, an in vivo model will be utilized in which wild-type or NEP-/- islets will be transplanted into streptozocin-diabetic wild-type or NEP-/- syngeneic recipients to evaluate the contribution of islet NEP to the maintenance ..
- GENE TRANSFER FOR PREVENTION OF DIABETIC NEUROPATHYDavid J Fink; Fiscal Year: 2012..1) to determine whether HSV-mediated neuroprotective factor expression prevents the loss of DRG neurons in the streptozocin model of type 1 diabetes;(2) to examine the effect of HSV-mediated delivery of neuroprotective factors in the ..
- HORMONAL INFLUENCES ON THE RENAL MICROVASCULATUREPAMELA CARMINES; Fiscal Year: 2002..Preglomerular VSM cells harvested from streptozocin-treated rats will be used in studies targeting specific aberrations in E-MC during IDDM...
- CANDIDATE GENE FOR DIABETIC NEPHROPATHY--MEPRIN BETAJUDITH BOND; Fiscal Year: 2002..gene in transgenic mice, and determine the effects on kidney function and susceptibility to DN induced by streptozocin or in a genetic model of type 2 diabetes; and 4) investigate the meprin-b knock-out mouse for kidney function ..
- CELL-POLYMER IMPLANT USING A RODENT BETA-CELL LINEShelley Weinstock; Fiscal Year: 1993..be done to determine if pancreatic islet cells on polymers are functioning in vivo by measuring reversal of streptozocin-induced diabetes in rats...
- RETINAL AND CHOROIDAL BLOOD FLOW IMAGINGBahram Khoobehi; Fiscal Year: 2002..will be used to compare blood parameters in a rat model before and after inducing symptoms of diabetes using streptozocin, and in a researcher-blind study, an attempt will be made to use FCI parameter maps to diagnose diabetes...
- RETINAL AND CHOROIDAL BLOOD FLOW IMAGINGBahram Khoobehi; Fiscal Year: 2001..will be used to compare blood parameters in a rat model before and after inducing symptoms of diabetes using streptozocin, and in a researcher-blind study, an attempt will be made to use FCI parameter maps to diagnose diabetes...
- Expression and Regulation of Retinal Angiotensin IIPreenie Senanayake; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will test this hypothesis in the stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rat (SHRSP) with streptozocin-induced diabetes, now shown to develop signs of diabetic retinopathy that are reversed by an Ang receptor ..
- PET Imaging of the Pancreas in Murine Models of DiabetesPaige Clark; Fiscal Year: 2005..These include a model of quick, streptozocin-induced diabetes mellitus and a model of progressive autoimmune beta cell destruction similar to type 1 ..
- Impact of Puberty on the Kidney in DiabetesPASCALE LANE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Only post-pubertal male rats given the diabetogenic agent streptozocin (STZ) develop renal and glomerular hypertrophy associated with increased expression and activity of ..
- Transmitter Repletion: Key to Phrenic-Diaphragm FunctionErik van Lunteren; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies may lead to novel therapeutic approaches to respiratory muscle impairment and resulting hypercapnic respiratory failure for conditions which produce neuromuscular junction dysfunction. ..
- Periodontal Disease and Rheumatoid ArthritisMichael McCracken; Fiscal Year: 2005..Furthermore, it is hypothesized that among patients with rheumatoid arthritis, an association exists between the rate of progression of inflammatory arthritis and the progression of periodontal disease. ..
- Role of Ryanodine Receptors in Diabetic CadiomyopathyKeshore R Bidasee; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Human monoclonal antibody therapy for HUSHoward Trachtman; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Effect of Diabetes on Bone Integration of ImplantsMichael McCracken; Fiscal Year: 2002..This knowledge may lead to bioengineered materials which will modify and improve bone healing response in diabetic patients who receive implants. ..
- Manipulation of intracellular pH for treatment of NIDDMSubhadra Gunawardana; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- MULTICENTER TRIAL OF SYNSORB PK IN E COLI RELATED HUSHoward Trachtman; Fiscal Year: 2003..The outcome of this trial may justify the use of SYNSORB PK as a safe therapy to ameliorate D+HUS. ..
- Novel Therapies for Resistant FSGSHoward Trachtman; Fiscal Year: 2006..The infrastructure that is established for the performance of this R21/R33 project should prove useful for the efficient assessment of additional novel therapies that will be developed in the future for patients with primary FSGS. ..
- International Network and Registry for TMAHoward Trachtman; Fiscal Year: 2007..These include essential hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, myocardial infarction, and chronic kidney disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RYANODINE RECEPTOR DYSFUNCTION IN DIABETIC HEARTSKeshore Bidasee; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- THE PHYSIOLOGY OF IGFBP DEGRADING PROTEINASES IN BONEJohn Fowlkes; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Islet Transplantation - Protection by ImmunobarriersGordon Weir; Fiscal Year: 2007..This work should serve as a guide for the encapsulation and transplantation of xenogeneic islets cells or insulin-producing cells that should eventually be produced from precursor/stem cells. ..
- Prenatal TCDD and postnatal autoimmune diseaseSteven Holladay; Fiscal Year: 2007..The collective experiments are designed to detect alterations in fetal immune development caused by TCDD that underlie the worsened postnatal (postpubertal) autoimmune disease caused by this chemical. ..
- Cerebrovascular Disease in Type 1 DiabetesWILLIAM MAYHAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..We suggest that our results will provide novel insights regarding therapeutic approaches for the treatment/prevention of cerebrovascular dysfunction in diabetes. ..
- Manganese-enhanced MRI Studies of Retinal NeovascularizationBRUCE BERKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2008..The novel methods in this application will also contribute to the advancement of functional MRI for the study of retinal diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Monocyte Adhesive Hyaluronan Structures in DiabetesAimin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cerebral Microcirculation During Alcohol ConsumptionWILLIAM MAYHAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will provide valuable new insights and will lead to new therapeutic approaches for the treatment of cerebrovascular abnormalities observed in chronic alcoholics. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- KALLISTATIN IN HYPERTENSIONJulie Chao; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Feedback and Hormonal Regulation of Hepatic HMG-CoA ReductaseGENE CHARLES NESS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Proteasome regulation by O-glycosylationJEFFREY KUDLOW; Fiscal Year: 2007..4. Using transgenic mice, determine the effect of proteasome blockade in vivo on epithelial cell apoptosis and muscle protein wasting. ..
- EXPERIMENTAL DIABETIC AUTONOMIC NEUROPATHYROBERT EDWARD SCHMIDT; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, we are poised to understand the pathogenesis and develop novel therapies for diabetic autonomic neuropathy. ..
- Menopause: Decreased Response to Increasing InflammationADRIANA CATERINA MAGGI; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Muscle-Specific Nutritional Adaptations to Catabolic StatesS Russ Price; Fiscal Year: 2010..New information regarding the mechanisms of muscle atrophy may identify therapeutic targets to reduce morbidity and mortality of chronically ill patients and improve their quality of life. ..
- Type-1 Diabetes: Zn2+ Potentiated Beta-Cell Death By Sirtuin-Mediated NAD+ LossCHRISTIAN THOMAS SHELINE; Fiscal Year: 2010..These experiments will test novel therapeutic compounds (pyruvate, sirtinol) and mechanisms (NAD+loss, sirtuins) involved in Zn2+ mediation of beta-cell death in type-1 diabetes. ..
- Nephrology Training GrantScott Thomson; Fiscal Year: 2008..An interactive research environment and shared seminar programs between UCSD, Salk Institute, and numerous other research institutes in La Jolla further enhances the training program. ..
- Multifunctional Antioxidants as Anti-Cataract AgentsPeter Kador; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Signaling Mechanisms Regulation Muscle Protein TurnoverS Price; Fiscal Year: 2005..Lastly, we will study adrenalectomized rats to determine if glucocorticoids can be linked to inhibition of SGK activity or activation of the MEK/ERK MAPK pathway in skeletal muscle. ..
- Genetic Regulation of Seizure-Induced NeurogenesisPAULA SCHAUWECKER; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Retinal Oxygenation in Diabetic RetinopathyBRUCE BERKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these studies could lead to the development of a non-invasive real time method for the early evaluation of diabetic retinopathy and its treatment. ..
- Integration of Long- and Short-Term Control of FeedingMichael Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- ZINC NEUROTOXICITYChristian Sheline; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- PHI-381: A Novel Anti-Leukemic AgentMarina Cetkovic Cvrlje; Fiscal Year: 2003..The knowledge gained from these studies described under Specific Aims 1-2 is expected to facilitate the design of innovative treatment regimens employing COBRA-1 for the treatment of metastatic solid tumors. ..
- Gene Gun Technology, Opioids, and Corneal DiseasesIAN ZAGON; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultimately, such data can be employed to design molecular strategies to remedy visual dysfunction. ..
- Conference on ObesityMichael Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2003..Progress towards improved therapeutic options for obesity and their implications for public health and public policy will be emphasized. ..
- Role of Picroliv in angiogenesis and would healingRadha Maheshwari; Fiscal Year: 2002..We believe that these studies will provide information regarding the mechanism(s) underlying the angiogenic effects of picroliv in better management of chronic wounds. ..
- STRUCTURE OF ANTIMITOGENIC MESANGIAL HEPARAN SULFATESAimin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Expansion and Cryopreservation of Islets for TransplantJonathan Carter; Fiscal Year: 2005..Both aims represent the next experimental step in a logical progression towards translation if these techniques into clinical trials of human islet transplantation. ..
- MR STUDIES OF EXPERIMENTAL RETINOPATHY OF PREMATURITYBRUCE BERKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..This work may have broad impact beyond ROP since abnormal blood vessel growth is a common pathobiologic event for other blinding disorders, such as diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Aging as a risk factor for seizure-induced cell deathPAULA SCHAUWECKER; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Renal Control of Blood Pressure in Early DiabetesMichael Brands; Fiscal Year: 2007..whether increased SOD1 in transgenic mice protects against hypertension similar to tempol; d. the role of NADPH oxidase, by measuring p22 phox expression and the effect of apocynin. ..
- Genetics of Diabetic Nephropathy in Mexican-Americans a*Susanne Nicholas; Fiscal Year: 2006..The final year of the project will focus more heavily on manuscript preparation. Dr. Nicholas will be directly involved in all aspects of the project. ..
- Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in diabetic nephropathyIRINA OBROSOVA; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- HYPOTHALAMIC PEPTIDES, FOOD INTAKE, AND DIABETESMichael Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- PROSAPOSIN AND PROSAPTIDES IN DIABETIC NEUROPATHYNIGEL CALCUTT; Fiscal Year: 2002..The goal is to establish prosaptides as novel therapeutic agents for treating diabetic neuropathy and to provide mechanistic explanations for why hyperglycemia causes nerve disorders. ..
- NEUROPATHOLOGY OF THE AGING SYMPATHETIC NERVOUS SYSTEMRobert Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of these experiments should provide insight not only into autonomic dysfunction, but into a variety of pathologic processes in which NAD is a prominent component. ..
- Investigating the Molecular Mechanism of Hexose-induced Stress in Lens and RetinaPeter F Kador; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, these studies should help identify new drug targets for the treatment of these diabetic complications. ..
- Molecular Target(s) for Interruption of HBV InfectionJisu Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..We hope these studies will contribute to the understanding of the early events of hepadnavirus infection and may lead to the development of novel antiviral strategies for prevention of HBV induced liver cancer. ..
- High Gulcose Promotes Myocyte Apoptosis by PKC PathwaysAshwani Malhotra; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed investigations are novel and fundamental to the development of gene based therapy to inhibit myocyte apoptosis in the diabetic heart. ..