- Squalene: A natural triterpene for use in disease management and therapy
L Harivardhan Reddy
Univ Paris Sud XI, Faculte de Pharmacie, UMR CNRS 8612, 92296 Chatenay Malabry Cedex, France
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 61:1412-26. 2009
b>Squalene is a natural lipid belonging to the terpenoid family and a precursor of cholesterol biosynthesis. It is synthesized in humans and also in a wide array of organisms and substances, from sharks to olives and even bran, among others...
- Conjugation of squalene to acyclovir improves the affinity for biomembrane models
Maria Grazia Sarpietro
Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche, Universita degli Studi di Catania, Viale Andrea Doria 6, 95125 Catania, Italy
Int J Pharm 382:73-9. 2009
..the interaction of acyclovir and its prodrug squalenoyl-acyclovir (obtained by conjugation of 1,1',2-tris-nor-squalene acid (squaleneCOOH) with acyclovir) with biomembrane models made of DMPC multilamellar vesicles with the aim to ..
- MF59-adjuvanted H5N1 vaccine induces immunologic memory and heterotypic antibody responses in non-elderly and elderly adults
Novartis Vaccines, Marburg, Germany
PLoS ONE 4:e4384. 2009
..Pathogenic avian influenza virus (H5N1) has the potential to cause a major global pandemic in humans. Safe and effective vaccines that induce immunologic memory and broad heterotypic response are needed...
- Independent association of serum squalene and noncholesterol sterols with coronary artery disease in postmenopausal women
R A Rajaratnam
Department of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Am Coll Cardiol 35:1185-91. 2000
..The purpose of the study was to investigate whether cholesterol metabolism is associated with coronary artery disease (CAD) in postmenopausal women...
- Preclinical toxicology (subacute and acute) and efficacy of a new squalenoyl gemcitabine anticancer nanomedicine
L Harivardhan Reddy
Universite Paris Sud XI, Faculte de Pharmacie, Unité Mixte de Recherche Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique 8612, Institut Fédératif de Recherche 141, 92296 Chatenay Malabry Cedex, France
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 325:484-90. 2008
..These data support the candidature of SQgem for clinical trials...
- Fatty acid profile, tocopherol, squalene and phytosterol content of walnuts, almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts and the macadamia nut
L S Maguire
Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork, Ireland
Int J Food Sci Nutr 55:171-8. 2004
..Nuts also contain other potentially cardioprotective constituents including phytosterols, tocopherols and squalene. In the present study, the total oil content, peroxide value, composition of fatty acids, tocopherols, ..
- Vaccine adjuvants alum and MF59 induce rapid recruitment of neutrophils and monocytes that participate in antigen transport to draining lymph nodes
Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Siena, Italy
Vaccine 29:1812-23. 2011
..Further studies will reveal whether other single cell types are crucial or whether the different recruited cell populations are redundant with overlapping functions...
- Cardioprotective effect of squalene on lipid profile in isoprenaline-induced myocardial infarction in rats
K H Sabeena Farvin
Biochemistry and Nutrition Division, Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, Matsyapuri (PO, Cochin, India
J Med Food 9:531-6. 2006
We studied the cardioprotective effect of squalene on isoprenaline-induced myocardial infarction in male albino rats with respect to changes in the levels of lipid components in plasma and heart tissue...
- Characterization of antibodies induced by vaccination with hepatitis C virus envelope glycoproteins
Department of Internal Medicine and Vaccine and Treatment Evaluation Unit, Saint Louis University, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Infect Dis 202:862-6. 2010
..Neutralizing serum samples had increased affinity levels and displayed >2-fold higher specific activity levels to well-characterized epitopes on E1/E2, especially to the hypervariable region 1 of E2...
- Enhancement of gemcitabine affinity for biomembranes by conjugation with squalene: differential scanning calorimetry and Langmuir-Blodgett studies using biomembrane models
Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche, Universita degli Studi di Catania, Viale Andrea Doria 6, 95125 Catania, Italy
J Colloid Interface Sci 316:43-52. 2007
Molecular interactions between gemcitabine, alone or conjugated with squalene to form the gem-squalene prodrug, with dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine have been investigated by differential scanning calorimetry and Langmuir film balance ..
- The adjuvants aluminum hydroxide and MF59 induce monocyte and granulocyte chemoattractants and enhance monocyte differentiation toward dendritic cells
Novartis Vaccines, Siena, Italy
J Immunol 180:5402-12. 2008
- Cross-protection by MF59-adjuvanted influenza vaccine: neutralizing and haemagglutination-inhibiting antibody activity against A(H3N2) drifted influenza viruses
CIRI IV, Department of Health Sciences, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Vaccine 26:1525-9. 2008
..Thus, MF59-adjuvanted vaccine confers greater immunogenicity than non-adjuvanted vaccines in vulnerable populations...
- Impact of corticosteroids on the immune response to a MF59-adjuvanted influenza vaccine in elderly COPD-patients
A de Roux
Department of Chest and Infectious Diseases, Heckeshorn, Helios Kliniken Emil von Behring, Berlin, Germany
Vaccine 24:1537-42. 2006
..Systemic steroids did not influence the antibody response towards the MF59-adjuvanted influenza vaccine. We found that the strains included in the vaccine showed varying long-term immunogenicity...
- Discovery of new hexagonal supramolecular nanostructures formed by squalenoylation of an anticancer nucleoside analogue
Universite Paris Sud XI, Faculte de Pharmacie, UMR CNRS 8612, IFR 141, 92296 Chatenay Malabry Cedex, France
Small 4:247-53. 2008
In this study, the dynamically folded conformation of squalene (SQ) is taken advantage of to link this natural compound to the anticancer nucleoside analogue gemcitabine (gem) in order to achieve the spontaneous formation of ..
- Visceral obesity is associated with high levels of serum squalene
Department of Medicine, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:1155-63. 2006
..Insulin action was measured with the hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamp. The gene encoding squalene synthase (farnesyl-diphosphate farnesyltransferase 1) was screened with the single-strand conformation ..
- Phytosterol, squalene, tocopherol content and fatty acid profile of selected seeds, grains, and legumes
Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College, Cork, Ireland
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 62:85-91. 2007
..lipid fraction of plant-based foods is a potential source of bioactive components such as phytosterols, squalene, and tocopherols...
- Conversion of squalene to the pentacarbocyclic hopene
Dirk J Reinert
, , Albertstr. 21, D-79104 Freiburg, Germany
Chem Biol 11:121-6. 2004
The membrane protein squalene-hopene cyclase was cocrystallized with 2-azasqualene and analyzed by X-ray diffraction to 2.13 A resolution...
- Induction and detection of antibodies to squalene
G R Matyas
Department of Membrane Biochemistry, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD 20910 7500, USA
J Immunol Methods 245:1-14. 2000
..coated on hydrophobic polyvinyldiene fluoride (PVDF) membranes is described for detecting antibodies that bind to squalene (SQE)...
- Induction of CYP3A by 2,3-oxidosqualene:lanosterol cyclase inhibitors is mediated by an endogenous squalene metabolite in primary cultured rat hepatocytes
Sarita D Shenoy
Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Mol Pharmacol 65:1302-12. 2004
..following agents that inhibit steps upstream of cyclase in the cholesterol biosynthetic pathway: squalestatin 1 (squalene synthase inhibitor), (E)N-ethyl-N-(6,6-dimethyl-2-hepten-4-ynyl)-3-[(3,3'-bithiophen-5-yl)methoxy]..
- Cloning and characterization of the Arabidopsis thaliana SQS1 gene encoding squalene synthase--involvement of the C-terminal region of the enzyme in the channeling of squalene through the sterol pathway
Laboratoire de Génétique Physiologique et Moléculaire, Institut de Biologie Moléculaire et d Ingénierie Génétique, Universite de Poitiers, France
Eur J Biochem 249:61-9. 1997
b>Squalene synthase (SQS) catalyzes the first committed step of the sterol biosynthetic pathway. A full-length Arabidopsis thaliana SQS cDNA has been isolated by combining library screening and PCR-based approaches...
- Squalene-based oil-in-water emulsion adjuvants perturb metabolism of neutral lipids and enhance lipid droplet formation
Infectious Disease Research Institute, 1124 Columbia St, Suite 400, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 393:350-5. 2010
..The accumulated lipids comprise not only the delivered squalene, but also cholesteryl esters, triacylglycerols, fatty acids, and diacylglycerols...
- Effect of squalene on cyclophosphamide-induced toxicity
Department of Biochemistry, University of Madras, Guindy Campus, Chennai, Tamilnadu 600025, India
Clin Chim Acta 364:335-42. 2006
..We evaluated the protective role of squalene (SQ) in the toxicity induced by cyclophosphamide...
- Improved squalene production via modulation of the methylerythritol 4-phosphate pathway and heterologous expression of genes from Streptomyces peucetius ATCC 27952 in Escherichia coli
Gopal Prasad Ghimire
Institute of Biomolecule Reconstruction, Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, Sun Moon University, 100 Kalsan ri, Tangjeong myeon, Asansi, Chungnam 336 708, South Korea
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:7291-3. 2009
..hopanoid genes from Streptomyces peucetius were introduced into Escherichia coli to improve the production of squalene, an industrially important compound...
- Safety and immunogenicity of HCV E1E2 vaccine adjuvanted with MF59 administered to healthy adults
Sharon E Frey
Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
Vaccine 28:6367-73. 2010
..We describe the first in humans clinical trial of this prophylactic HCV vaccine...
- Synthesis, characterization, and in vivo delivery of siRNA-squalene nanoparticles targeting fusion oncogene in papillary thyroid carcinoma
Laboratoire de Physicochimie, Pharmacotechnie et Biopharmacie, Faculté de Pharmacie, UMR CNRS 8612, Université Paris Sud 11, 5 rue J B Clément, 92296 Châtenay Malabry, France
J Med Chem 54:4067-76. 2011
We report the conjugation of the natural lipid squalene (SQ) with a small interfering RNA (siRNA), against the junction oncogene RET/PTC1, usually found in papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC)...
- Pharmacologic inhibition of squalene synthase and other downstream enzymes of the cholesterol synthesis pathway: a new therapeutic approach to treatment of hypercholesterolemia
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, USA
Cardiol Rev 17:70-6. 2009
..b>Squalene synthase is another enzyme that is downstream to HMG-CoA reductase in the cholesterol synthesis pathway and ..
- Chemopreventive effect of squalene on colon cancer
C V Rao
Division of Nutritional Carcinogenesis, American Health Foundation, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Carcinogenesis 19:287-90. 1998
..b>Squalene, a constituent of olive oil, and a key intermediate in cholesterol synthesis may be regarded as partially ..
- Profound insights into squalene cyclization
, , Germany
Chem Biol 11:12-4. 2004
In this issue of Chemistry & Biology, our understanding of the formation of pentacyclic hopene from the linear squalene is enhanced by an X-ray structure of a complex between squalene-hopene cyclase and the substrate analog 2-..
- Processing stability of squalene in amaranth and antioxidant potential of amaranth extract
Rohan V Tikekar
Department of Food Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08901, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:10675-8. 2008
The processing stability of squalene in amaranth and the antioxidant capacity of the oil-rich fraction of amaranth were studied. The processes investigated were continuous puffing and roasting...
- Yeast oxidosqualene cyclase (Erg7p) is a major component of lipid particles
Dipartimento di Scienza e Tecnologia del Farmaco, , , Corso Raffaello 31, I-10125 Torino, Italy
J Biol Chem 277:2406-12. 2002
- Inhibition of cholesterol synthesis by squalene synthase inhibitors does not induce myotoxicity in vitro
O P Flint
Department of Experimental Pathology, Bristol Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Syracuse, New York 13057, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 145:91-8. 1997
..Farnesol, geranylgeraniol, and squalene are metabolites of mevalonate...
- Immunogenicity of a recombinant human cytomegalovirus gB vaccine in seronegative toddlers
Douglas K Mitchell
Center for Pediatric Research, Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 21:133-8. 2002
..CONCLUSION: The CMV gB vaccine is well-tolerated and highly immunogenic in toddlers...
- Cloning, solubilization, and characterization of squalene synthase from Thermosynechococcus elongatus BP-1
Department of Chemistry, University of Utah, 315 South 1400 East, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
J Bacteriol 190:3808-16. 2008
b>Squalene synthase (SQS) is a bifunctional enzyme that catalyzes the condensation of two molecules of farnesyl diphosphate (FPP) to give presqualene diphosphate (PSPP) and the subsequent rearrangement of PSPP to squalene...
- Vaccination, squalene and anti-squalene antibodies: facts or fiction?
U O Diagnostica Ematochimica, Dipartimento di Patologia e Medicina di Laboratorio, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria di Parma, Parma, Italy
Eur J Intern Med 21:70-3. 2010
b>Squalene, a hydrocarbon obtained for commercial purposes primarily from shark liver oil and other botanic sources, is increasingly used as an immunologic adjuvant in several vaccines, including seasonal and the novel influenza A (H1N1) ..
- In vitro cytoprotective activity of squalene on a bone marrow versus neuroblastoma model of cisplatin-induced toxicity. implications in cancer chemotherapy
New Agent and Innovative Therapy Program, Division of Hematology and Oncology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
Eur J Cancer 39:2556-65. 2003
..Here, we report the in vitro selective cytoprotective activity of squalene, an isoprenoid molecule with antioxidant properties...
- Consumption of argan oil (Morocco) with its unique profile of fatty acids, tocopherols, squalene, sterols and phenolic compounds should confer valuable cancer chemopreventive effects
, , Campus Bridoux, rue Claude Bernard, 57070, Metz, France
Eur J Cancer Prev 12:67-75. 2003
The aim of this study was to evaluate the fatty acids, tocopherols, squalene, sterols and phenolic antioxidants in three types of argan oil (Moroccan food, Moroccan aesthetic and a French commercial variety) along with a basic comparison ..
- Ellagitannins and hexahydroxydiphenoyl esters as inhibitors of vertebrate squalene epoxidase
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Shizuoka, Shizuoka 422 8526, Japan
J Nat Prod 64:1010-4. 2001
..esters of hexahydroxydiphenyl (HHDP) dicarboxylic acid were evaluated as enzyme inhibitors of recombinant rat squalene epoxidase, a rate-limiting enzyme of cholesterol biosynthesis...
- Vinyl sulfide derivatives of truncated oxidosqualene as selective inhibitors of oxidosqualene and squalene-hopene cyclases
Dipartimento Farmacochimico, Tossicologico e Biologico, , Italy
Lipids 36:629-36. 2001
..These compounds, having the reactive functions at positions C-2, C-15 and C-19 of the squalene skeleton, were studied as inhibitors of pig liver and Saccharomyces cerevisiae oxidosqualene cyclases (OSC) (EC 5...
- Analogs of squalene and oxidosqualene inhibit oxidosqualene cyclase of Trypanosoma cruzi expressed in Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Dipartimento di Scienza e Tecnologia del Farmaco, , 10125 Turin, Italy
Lipids 40:1257-62. 2005
..19 inhibitors: aza, methylidene, vinyl sulfide, and conjugated vinyl sulfide derivatives of oxidosqualene and squalene, selected as representative of different classes of substrate analog inhibitors of OSC...
- Gingival vascular damage in atherosclerotic rabbits: hydroxytyrosol and squalene benefits
Dept of Periodontology, Dental School, University of Sevilla, Spain
Food Chem Toxicol 47:2327-31. 2009
..We investigated effects of squalene, hydroxytyrosol and coenzyme Q(10) on gingival tissues of rabbits fed on an atherosclerotic diet...
- MF59 is a safe and potent vaccine adjuvant that enhances protection against influenza virus infection
Derek T O'Hagan
Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Via Fiorentina 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Expert Rev Vaccines 6:699-710. 2007
..MF59 has been shown to be more potent for both antibody and T-cell responses than aluminum-based adjuvants. MF59 has broad potential to be used as a safe and effective vaccine adjuvant for a wide range of vaccine types...
- The validity of serum squalene and non-cholesterol sterols as surrogate markers of cholesterol synthesis and absorption in type 2 diabetes
Department of Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Atherosclerosis 197:883-8. 2008
..In type 2 diabetes (T2D) cholesterol metabolism is perturbed, and the role of squalene and non-cholesterol sterols has not been related to absolute cholesterol metabolism in detail.
- [The effect of alcoxyglycerols, squalene and n-3 fatty acid on some innate immunity parameters in healthy people]
Zakład Immunologii Klinicznej Instytutu Centrum Zdrowia Matki Polki w Lodzi
Pol Merkur Lekarski 18:303-6. 2005
..BioMarine 570 is well tolerated agent supporting the innate immunity. It was isolated from Greenland shark liver...
- [Biological action and clinical application of shark liver oil]
Uniwersytet Medyczny w Lodzi, Zakład Periodontologii i Chorób Błony Sluzowej Jamy Ustnej
Pol Merkur Lekarski 20:598-601. 2006
..Shark liver oils are rich in alkylglycerols and squalene, but contain relatively low amounts of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids...
- Antibody responses and HIV-1 viral load in HIV-1-seropositive subjects immunised with either the MF59-adjuvanted influenza vaccine or a conventional non-adjuvanted subunit vaccine during highly active antiretroviral therapy
Anna M Iorio
Department of Hygiene, University of Perugia, Via del Giochetto, 06122 Perugia, Italy
Vaccine 21:3629-37. 2003
- MF59-adjuvanted vaccines: increased immunogenicity with an optimal safety profile
Chiron Vaccines Clinical Research and Medical Affairs, Siena, Italy
Expert Rev Vaccines 2:197-203. 2003
..MF59 has been the first adjuvant to be licensed for human use after alum and, as part of an enhanced influenza vaccine for the elderly, is now available in the marketplace of several countries worldwide...
- Characteristics of skin wrinkling and dermal changes induced by repeated application of squalene monohydroperoxide to hairless mouse skin
Yakult Central Institute for Microbiological Research, Tokyo, Japan
Skin Pharmacol Appl Skin Physiol 16:242-51. 2003
We have studied the effect of squalene monohydroperoxides (Sq-OOH), initial products of UV-peroxidated squalene, on the skin of hairless mice...
- A new MF59-adjuvanted influenza vaccine enhances the immune response in the elderly with chronic diseases: results from an immunogenicity meta-analysis
Clinical Research and Medical Affairs, Chiron Vaccines, Marburg, Germany
Gerontology 49:177-84. 2003
..Therefore, since its safety profile is clinically acceptable, this adjuvanted vaccine represents an excellent option for influenza immunization of elderly subjects at highest risk of complications...
- Ion-trap tandem mass spectrometric analysis of squalene monohydroperoxide isomers in sunlight-exposed human skin
Food and Biodynamic Chemistry Laboratory, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
J Lipid Res 48:2779-87. 2007
We previously discovered that squalene monohydroperoxide (SQ-OOH) was produced on human forehead skin and suggested that skin squalene (SQ) may be the principal target lipid for oxidative stress (e.g., sunlight exposure)...
- Safety and immunogenicity of nonadjuvanted and MF59-adjuvanted influenza A/H9N2 vaccine preparations
Robert L Atmar
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:1135-42. 2006
..Influenza A/H9N2 viruses can infect humans and are considered to be a pandemic threat. Effective vaccines are needed for these and other avian influenza viruses...
- Rubritalea squalenifaciens sp. nov., a squalene-producing marine bacterium belonging to subdivision 1 of the phylum 'Verrucomicrobia'
Marine Biotechnology Institute, 3 75 1 Heita, Kamaishi, Iwate 026 0001, Japan
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 57:1630-4. 2007
..44-0.53x0.65-0.79 microm) bacterium. The strain produced squalene and a red-pink carotenoid pigment...
- Identification of oxidation products of squalene in solution and in latent fingerprints by ESI-MS and LC/APCI-MS
Katrina A Mountfort
Department of Forensic Science and Drug Monitoring, Pharmaceutical Science Research Division, School of Biomedical and Health Sciences, King s College London, 150 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NH, UK
Anal Chem 79:2650-7. 2007
An investigation was carried out to identify oxidation products of squalene (SQ) in latent fingerprints...
- Peroxidated squalene induces the production of inflammatory mediators in HaCaT keratinocytes: a possible role in acne vulgaris
San Gallicano Dermatological Institute IRCCS, Rome, Italy
J Invest Dermatol 126:2430-7. 2006
..can be responsible for the induction of inflammatory processes, HaCaT keratinocytes were treated with peroxidated squalene. NF-kappaB activation, secretion, and expression of IL-6, as well as peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ..
- Effect of squalene on tissue defense system in isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in rats
K H Sabeena Farvin
Biochemistry and Nutrition Division, Central Institute of Fisheries Technology, Matsyapuri P.O, Cochin-682 029, India
Pharmacol Res 50:231-6. 2004
This study was designed to examine the effects of squalene on tissue antioxidant status in isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in male albino rats...
- Antioxidant activities of essential oil mixtures toward skin lipid squalene oxidized by UV irradiation
Department of Environmental Toxicology, University of California, Davis, California, USA
Cutan Ocul Toxicol 26:227-33. 2007
..of essential oil mixtures--thyme or clove leaf with cinnamon leaf, rose, or parsley seed--toward skin lipid, squalene oxidized by UV irradiation were investigated using the malonaldehyde/gas chromatography assay...
- Wipe-test and patch-test for alcohol misuse based on the concentration ratio of fatty acid ethyl esters and squalene CFAEE/CSQ in skin surface lipids
Institute of Legal Medicine, Humboldt University, Hannoversche Strasse 6, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Forensic Sci Int 143:77-86. 2004
..ethyl oleate and ethyl stearate and by high performance liquid chromatography with photodiode array detector for squalene, (SQ), as a natural reference substance which the FAEE concentrations were related to...
- Oil and squalene in amaranthus grain and leaf
Department of Botany, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, People's Republic of China
J Agric Food Chem 51:7913-20. 2003
Amaranthus grain of 104 genotypes from 30 species was investigated for oil and squalene contents and fatty acid profiles. The overall average oil content in Amaranthus grain was 5.0%, ranging from 1.9 to 8.7%...
- Amaranth squalene reduces serum and liver lipid levels in rats fed a cholesterol diet
D H Shin
Graduate School of Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul 136-701, Korea
Br J Biomed Sci 61:11-4. 2004
In this study, the hypocholesterolaemic effect of amaranth grain, oil and squalene are examined...
- Fatty acid profile, tocopherol, squalene and phytosterol content of brazil, pecan, pine, pistachio and cashew nuts
Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College, Cork, Ireland
Int J Food Sci Nutr 57:219-28. 2006
Nuts contain bioactive constituents that elicit cardio-protective effects including phytosterols, tocopherols and squalene. The objective of the present study was to determine the total oil content, peroxide value, fatty acid composition ..
- An MF59-adjuvanted inactivated influenza vaccine containing A/Panama/1999 (H3N2) induced broader serological protection against heterovariant influenza virus strain A/Fujian/2002 than a subunit and a split influenza vaccine
Giuseppe Del Giudice
Chiron Vaccines, Research Center and Clinical Research, Via Fiorentina 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Vaccine 24:3063-5. 2006
..We conclude that MF59-adjuvanted vaccines confer protection also against influenza virus strains which are not fully matched with those included in the vaccine...
- [Normal and pathologic sebaceous function. Research in a shallow milieu?]
L Oreal R and D, 41, rue Martre, 92117 Clichy, France
Pathol Biol (Paris) 51:275-8. 2003
..Human "native" intracellular sebum, before secretion, is composed of squalene, waxes, and triglycerides...
- Boosting immunity to influenza H5N1 with MF59-adjuvanted H5N3 A/Duck/Singapore/97 vaccine in a primed human population
Infectious Diseases Unit, Leicester Royal Infirmary, LE1 5WW, Leicester, UK
Vaccine 21:1687-93. 2003
..001). MF59 significantly increased GMTs of antibody when compared to non-adjuvanted vaccine (P<0.001)...
- Concomitant C-ring Expansion and D-ring formation in lanosterol biosynthesis from squalene without violation of Markovnikov's rule
B Andes Hess
Department of Chemistry, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37235, USA
J Am Chem Soc 124:10286-7. 2002
A mechanism is proposed for the formation of the C and D rings of lanosterol from squalene on the basis of density functional calculations of a model cyclopentylcarbinyl carbocation...
- Biological and pharmacological activities of squalene and related compounds: potential uses in cosmetic dermatology
Zih Rou Huang
Pharmaceutics Laboratory, Graduate Institute of Natural Products, Chang Gung University, Kweishan, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Molecules 14:540-54. 2009
b>Squalene is a triterpene that is an intermediate in the cholesterol biosynthesis pathway. It was so named because of its occurrence in shark liver oil, which contains large quantities and is considered its richest source...
- Phenolic compounds and squalene in olive oils: the concentration and antioxidant potential of total phenols, simple phenols, secoiridoids, lignansand squalene
R W Owen
Division of Toxicology and Cancer Risk Factors, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Food Chem Toxicol 38:647-59. 2000
The aim of this study was to evaluate the phenolic antioxidant and squalene content in a range of olive and seed oils. A mean of 290 +/- 38 (SEM) mg squalene/100 g was detected...
- Squalene and squalane emulsions as adjuvants
A C Allison
SurroMed Corporation, 1060 East Meadow Circle, Palo Alto, California 94303, USA
Methods 19:87-93. 1999
Microfluidized squalene or squalane emulsions are efficient adjuvants, eliciting both humoral and cellular immune responses. Microfluidization stabilizes the emulsions and allows sterilization by terminal filtration...
- Detection of squalene in alpha-fetoprotein and fetal serum albumin from bovine
Instituto de la Grasa, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Seville, Spain
J Protein Chem 20:19-23. 2001
..was analyzed by gas chromatography and the peak appearing just after the arachidonic acid was identified as squalene by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry...
- Extraction and purification of squalene from amaranthus grain
Department of Botany and Department of Zoology, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
J Agric Food Chem 50:368-72. 2002
Grain amaranth has been suggested as an alternative to marine animals as a natural source of squalene. Oil contents, squalene contents, and fatty acid profiles were determined in 11 genotypes of four grain amaranth species...
- The antioxidant network of the stratum corneum
J J Thiele
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Curr Probl Dermatol 29:26-42. 2001
- The adjuvanted influenza vaccines with novel adjuvants: experience with the MF59-adjuvanted vaccine
Clinical Research and Medical Affairs, Chiron Vaccines, Chiron SpA, Via Florentina 1, 53100, Siena, Italy
Vaccine 19:2673-80. 2001
..Among these, an oil in water adjuvant emulsion containing squalene, MF59, has been combined with subunit influenza antigens and tested in clinical trials in comparison with non-..
- Safety and antigenicity of non-adjuvanted and MF59-adjuvanted influenza A/Duck/Singapore/97 (H5N3) vaccine: a randomised trial of two potential vaccines against H5N1 influenza
K G Nicholson
Infectious Diseases Unit, Leicester Royal Infirmary, LE1 5WW, Leicester, UK
Lancet 357:1937-43. 2001
..We did an observer-blind, phase I, randomised trial in healthy volunteers to assess safety, tolerability, and antigenicity of MF59-adjuvanted and non-adjuvanted vaccines...
- Lipophilic antioxidants in human sebum and aging
IDI-IRCCS, Rome, Italy
Free Radic Res 36:471-7. 2002
..b>Squalene, vitamin E (vit...
- Antibodies to squalene in Gulf War syndrome
P B Asa
Department of Microbiology, Tulane Medical School, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, USA
Exp Mol Pathol 68:55-64. 2000
..We sought to determine whether the presence of antibodies to squalene correlates with the presence of signs and symptoms of GWS...
- Changes in the levels of glutathione after cellular and cutaneous damage induced by squalene monohydroperoxide
Department of Toxicology, Safety Research Center, Yakult Central Institute for Microbiological Research, 1796 Kunitachi shi yaho, Tokyo, 186 8650, Japan
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 15:150-8. 2001
b>Squalene monohydroperoxide (Sq-OOH), the initial product of ultraviolet-peroxidated squalene, was used to investigate the effect of peroxidative challenge upon the glutathione contents in rabbit ear skin and primary-cultured fibroblasts ..
- Squalene protects against oxidative DNA damage in MCF10A human mammary epithelial cells but not in MCF7 and MDA-MB-231 human breast cancer cells
Immunology Division, Department of Health Sciences, Faculty of Experimental Sciences, University of Jaen, Campus Las Lagunillas s n, 23071 Jaen, Spain
Food Chem Toxicol 48:1092-100. 2010
Until now, very little has been known about the antioxidant capacity of squalene and its effect on human breast tumourigenesis...
- Stereo- and regioselective synthesis of squalene tetraepoxide
Department of Chemistry, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Org Chem 74:8407-9. 2009
b>Squalene tetraepoxide, a putative biosynthetic precursor to a variety of oxacyclic triterpenoid natural products, has been efficiently synthesized by anionic coupling of two farnesol-derived diepoxides, which have arisen from electronic ..
- Antibodies to squalene in recipients of anthrax vaccine
Pamela B Asa
Department of Microbiology, Tulane University Medical School, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Exp Mol Pathol 73:19-27. 2002
We previously reported that antibodies to squalene, an experimental vaccine adjuvant, are present in persons with symptoms consistent with Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) (P. B. Asa et al., Exp. Mol. Pathol 68, 196-197, 2000)...
- Membrane proteins and squalene-hydrosqualene profile in methanoarchaeon Methanothermobacter thermautotrophicus resistant to N,N'-dicyclohexylcarbodiimide
Institute of Animal Biochemistry and Genetics, Slovak Academy of Sciences, 900 28 Ivanka pri Dunaji, Slovakia
Folia Microbiol (Praha) 53:237-40. 2008
..in the maintenance of methanoarchaeal membrane structure and function, such as the composition of the mixture of squalene and its hydrosqualene derivatives and also properties of membrane-associated proteins were compared in wild-type ..
- Effect of squalene and shark liver oil on serum cholesterol level in hamsters
Department of Biochemistry, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, The People's Republic of China
Int J Food Sci Nutr 53:411-8. 2002
b>Squalene (SQ) and shark liver oil (SLO) are popularly sold as health supplements. The present study was designed to test the hypercholesterolemic activities of pure SQ and SLO in hamsters. SQ was supplemented in diets at the levels of 0...
- Rate of degradation of alpha-tocopherol, squalene, phenolics, and polyunsaturated fatty acids in olive oil during different storage conditions
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Universita degli Studi di Salerno, Via Ponte Don Melillo, 84084 Fisciano SA, Italy
J Agric Food Chem 50:5566-70. 2002
Changes in the concentration of tocopherol, monophenols, o-diphenols, squalene, and polyunsaturated fatty acids in olive oil were evaluated during 1 year at various storage conditions...
- Phase I evaluation of intranasal trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine with nontoxigenic Escherichia coli enterotoxin and novel biovector as mucosal adjuvants, using adult volunteers
Infectious Diseases Unit, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester LE1 5WW, United Kingdom
J Virol 80:4962-70. 2006
..The addition of the biovector to the vaccine given with 30 microg LTK63 enhanced mucosal IgA responses to A/Duck/Singapore (H5N3) (P=0.0491) and B/Guandong (P=0.0028) but not to A/Panama (H3N2). All vaccines were well tolerated...
- Antigenically distinct MF59-adjuvanted vaccine to boost immunity to H5N1
N Engl J Med 359:1631-3. 2008
- Vaccines for seasonal and pandemic influenza
Kristin L Nichol
University of Minnesota and Minneapolis VA Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA
J Infect Dis 194:S111-8. 2006
..Additional experimental approaches are required to achieve the ultimate goal for seasonal and pandemic influenza prevention--namely, the ability to generate broadly cross-reactive and durable protection in humans...
- Vaccines against pandemic influenza: what can be done before the next pandemic?
Victor C Huber
Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:S113-7. 2008
..Thus, a prepandemic vaccine strategy that involves the stockpiling of both potential antigens and proven adjuvants may represent the best approach to deal with this looming threat...
- A preliminary evaluation of alternative adjuvants to alum using a range of established and new generation vaccine antigens
Vaccines Research, Chiron Vaccines, 4560 Horton St, M S 4 3, Emeryville, CA 94608, USA
Vaccine 24:1680-6. 2006
..The study indicates that it is possible to replace alum with other adjuvant formulations like MF59 and PLG and maintain and/or improve immune responses with some vaccine antigens...
- Effective induction of type 1 helper IgG2a and cytotoxic T-cell responses in mice following immunization with human papillomavirus type 16 E2 in MF59
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Viral Immunol 21:225-33. 2008
- Hepatitis C virus polyprotein vaccine formulations capable of inducing broad antibody and cellular immune responses
Chiron Vaccines, Emeryville, CA 94608, USA
J Gen Virol 87:2253-62. 2006
..These data suggest that the HCV polyprotein delivered with adjuvants induces broad B- and T-cell responses and could be a vaccine candidate against HCV...
- Vaccine adjuvants: the dream becomes real
ALTA R and D in Biotechnology, Siena, Italy
Hum Vaccin 4:347-9. 2008
..now Novartis Vaccines and it consists in an oil-in-water emulsion, comprising a low content of biodegradable squalene oil (4...
- MF59-adjuvanted influenza vaccine confers superior immunogenicity in adult subjects (18-60 years of age) with chronic diseases who are at risk of post-influenza complications
Department of Environmental Medicine and Public Health, Institute of Hygiene, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Vaccine 25:3955-61. 2007
- Safety and immunogenicity of two influenza virus subunit vaccines, with or without MF59 adjuvant, administered to human immunodeficiency virus type 1-seropositive and -seronegative adults
Department of Health Sciences, University of Genoa, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:253-9. 2008
..The results showed good safety and immunogenicity for both vaccines under study for both uninfected and HIV-1-infected adults, confirming current recommendations for immunization of this high-risk category...
- Histone deacetylase 3 down-regulates cholesterol synthesis through repression of lanosterol synthase gene expression
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
J Biol Chem 282:35457-70. 2007
..Together, our results demonstrate that HDAC3 represses the synthesis of a key regulatory enzyme and reveal a novel mechanism by which the cholesterol biosynthetic pathway can be regulated...
- Antibody induction by virosomal, MF59-adjuvanted, or conventional influenza vaccines in the elderly
Iris de Bruijn
Clinical Development Influenza Vaccines, Solvay Pharmaceuticals, PO Box 900, NL 1380 DA Weesp, The Netherlands
Vaccine 26:119-27. 2007
..In this trial, virosomal vaccine had similar immunogenicity to MF59-adjuvanted and conventional subunit vaccine and was considerably less reactogenic than the MF59-adjuvanted vaccine in the elderly...
- Formulation of HIV-1 Tat and p24 antigens by PLA nanoparticles or MF59 impacts the breadth, but not the magnitude, of serum and faecal antibody responses in rabbits
FRE2736 CNRS bioMérieux, IFR128 BioSciences Gerland Lyon Sud, 21 Avenue Tony Garnier, 69007 Lyon, France
Vaccine 25:7491-501. 2007
..The impact of these qualitative differences depending on the antigen/adjuvant associations will be important to take into account for further designs of vaccinal formulation using particulate adjuvants...
- Effectiveness of MF59-adjuvanted subunit influenza vaccine in preventing hospitalisations for cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease and pneumonia in the elderly
Fundación de la Sociedad Valenciana de Medicina de Familia y Comunitaria, Valencia, Spain
Vaccine 25:7313-21. 2007
..31 [P=0.005] for pneumonia). During peak virus circulation, vaccination with MF59-adjuvanted subunit influenza vaccine was associated with an 87% relative risk reduction in hospitalisation for ACS, 93% for CVA, and 69% for pneumonia...
- MF59-adjuvanted subunit influenza vaccine: an improved interpandemic influenza vaccine for vulnerable populations
Joan Puig Barbera
Centre de Salut Publica de Castello, Avda del Mar, 12, E 12100, Castello, Spain
Expert Rev Vaccines 6:659-65. 2007
..This article summarizes the main characteristics of MF59-adjuvanted subunit influenza vaccine, the clinical effectiveness data that have been generated in recent years and future developments...
- Effects of adjuvants on the safety and immunogenicity of an avian influenza H5N1 vaccine in adults
David I Bernstein
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
J Infect Dis 197:667-75. 2008
..Influenza A H5N1 viruses pose a significant threat to human health...
- Monitoring the effects of component structure and source on formulation stability and adjuvant activity of oil-in-water emulsions
Christopher B Fox
Infectious Disease Research Institute, 1124 Columbia Street, Suite 400, Seattle, WA 98104, United States
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 65:98-105. 2008
..In particular, formulations consisting of metabolizable oils such as shark-derived squalene and detergents such as egg phosphatidylcholine have been used to produce stable vaccine emulsion formulations...
- Candidate HIV-1 gp140DeltaV2, Gag and Tat vaccines protect against experimental HIV-1/MuLV challenge
Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control, Stockholm, Sweden
Vaccine 25:6882-90. 2007
..For the most part, antigen-specific cell-mediated immune responses as detected in the spleen (in contrast to responses detected in peripheral blood) of immunized animals appeared to be associated with protection in this study...
- Safety of MF59 adjuvant
Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Marburg, Germany
Vaccine 26:3209-22. 2008
..This review supports the hypothesis that MF59 is a safe adjuvant for human use...
- Induction of broad CD4+ and CD8+ T-cell responses and cross-neutralizing antibodies against hepatitis C virus by vaccination with Th1-adjuvanted polypeptides followed by defective alphaviral particles expressing envelope glycoproteins gpE1 and gpE2 and no
Novartis Vaccine and Diagnostic, Inc, Emeryville, California 94608, USA
J Virol 82:7492-503. 2008
..This vaccine formulation and regimen may therefore be optimal in humans for protection against this highly heterogeneous global pathogen...
- Antibody and T-cell responses to a virosomal adjuvanted H9N2 avian influenza vaccine: impact of distinct additional adjuvants
Crucell Holland BV, Leiden, The Netherlands
Vaccine 26:3640-6. 2008