Genomes and Genes
Summary: A nonflammable, halogenated, hydrocarbon anesthetic that provides relatively rapid induction with little or no excitement. Analgesia may not be adequate. NITROUS OXIDE is often given concomitantly. Because halothane may not produce sufficient muscle relaxation, supplemental neuromuscular blocking agents may be required. (From AMA Drug Evaluations Annual, 1994, p178)
Publications297 found, 100 shown here
- Binding of the general anesthetics propofol and halothane to human serum albumin. High resolution crystal structuresA A Bhattacharya
Biophysics Section, The Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London SW7 2BW, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 275:38731-8. 2000..high resolution crystal structures of HSA with two of the most widely used general anesthetics, propofol and halothane. In addition, we describe a crystal structure of HSA complexed with both halothane and the fatty acid, myristate...
- Inhibitory effects of halothane on the thermogenic pathway in brown adipocytes: localization to adenylyl cyclase and mitochondrial fatty acid oxidationKerstin B E Ohlson
The Wenner Gren Institute, The Arrhenius Laboratories F3, Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Biochem Pharmacol 68:463-77. 2004Volatile anesthetics such as halothane efficiently inhibit nonshivering thermogenesis as well as the cellular manifestation of that phenomenon: norepinephrine-induced respiration in brown adipocytes...
- Role of neutrophils in a mouse model of halothane-induced liver injuryQiang You
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Hepatology 44:1421-31. 2006..We developed a mouse model of halothane-induced liver injury and characterized the mechanisms accounting for tissue damage...
- Toward a unified theory of narcosis: brain imaging evidence for a thalamocortical switch as the neurophysiologic basis of anesthetic-induced unconsciousnessM T Alkire
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Conscious Cogn 9:370-86. 2000....
- Suppression of natural killer cell activity and promotion of tumor metastasis by ketamine, thiopental, and halothane, but not by propofol: mediating mechanisms and prophylactic measuresRivka Melamed
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Anesth Analg 97:1331-9. 2003..Fischer 344 rats served as controls or were anesthetized for 1 h with ketamine, thiopental, halothane, or propofol...
- Eosinophils mediate the pathogenesis of halothane-induced liver injury in miceWilliam R Proctor
Molecular and Cellular Toxicology Section, Laboratory of Molecular Immunology, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Hepatology 57:2026-36. 2013..We decided to investigate this problem in a murine model of halothane-induced liver injury (HILI)...
- Cerebellar nitric oxide is increased during isoflurane anesthesia compared to halothane anesthesia: a microdialysis study in ratsA L Loeb
Department of Anesthesia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Anesthesiology 89:723-30. 1998This study examined the influences of isoflurane versus halothane anesthesia on basal and agonist-stimulated nitric oxide in the cerebellum of intact rats...
- Optical reversal of halothane-induced immobility in C. elegansVinod K Singaram
Department of Genetics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Curr Biol 21:2070-6. 2011..We hypothesized that halothane, a VA, caused immobility by altering the neuronal RMP. In C...
- Volatile anesthetic effects on midbrain-elicited locomotion suggest that the locomotor network in the ventral spinal cord is the primary site for immobilitySteven L Jinks
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of California School of Medicine, Davis, CA 95616
Anesthesiology 108:1016-24. 2008..Volatile anesthetics produce immobility primarily by action in the spinal cord; however, anesthetic effects among different neuronal classes located in different spinal regions, and how they relate to immobility, are not understood...
- On the use of isoflurane versus halothane in the study of visual response properties of single cells in the primary visual cortexMartin Y Villeneuve
Laboratoire des Neurosciences de la Vision, Ecole d Optometrie, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128 Succ Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3J7
J Neurosci Methods 129:19-31. 2003b>Halothane is a widely used anesthetic in research. It produces several alterations in organs, especially in the brain. Recently, isoflurane emerged in neuroscience laboratories...
- Intravenous anesthetic diazepam does not induce amyloid-beta peptide oligomerization but diazepam co-administered with halothane oligomerizes amyloid-beta peptide: an NMR studyPravat K Mandal
Neurospectroscopy and Neuroimaging Laboratory, National Brain Research Center, Manesar, Gurgaon, India
J Alzheimers Dis 20:127-34. 2010..the influence of a larger sized intravenous anesthetic, diazepam, as well as diazepam co-administered with halothane, on Abeta...
- Membrane and synaptic actions of halothane on rat hippocampal pyramidal neurons and inhibitory interneuronsK Nishikawa
Neuropharmacology Laboratory, Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5117, USA
J Neurosci 20:5915-23. 2000..The aim of this study was to investigate effects of a general anesthetic, halothane, on membrane and synaptic properties of rat hippocampal interneurons...
- Mitochondrial mutations differentially affect aging, mutability and anesthetic sensitivity in Caenorhabditis elegansP S Hartman
Department of Biology, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, TX 76129, USA
Mech Ageing Dev 122:1187-201. 2001..These results indicate that Complexes I and II may differ in their effects on behavior and development, and are consistent with the wide variation in phenotypes that result from mitochondrial changes in other organisms...
- Halothane-induced liver injury is mediated by interleukin-17 in miceEisuke Kobayashi
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology, Kanazawa University, Kakuma machi, Kanazawa 920 1192, Japan
Toxicol Sci 111:302-10. 2009..It has been known that halothane, an inhaled anesthetic, induces liver injury...
- Confounding effects of anesthesia on functional activation in rodent brain: a study of halothane and alpha-chloralose anesthesiaV C Austin
Experimental Neuroimaging Group, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Neuroimage 24:92-100. 2005..i) what is the relationship between baseline neuronal activity and the BOLD response to stimulation under halothane anesthesia? And (ii) how does the BOLD response change after transferring from halothane to the commonly used ..
- Localization of the malignant hyperthermia susceptibility locus to human chromosome 19q12-13.2T V McCarthy
Department of Biochemistry, University College, Cork, Ireland
Nature 343:562-4. 1990..65 at the CYP2A locus. These results indicate that human and porcine MH are most probably due to mutations in homologous genes, and also provide a potentially accurate and noninvasive method of diagnosis for MHS...
- Oxygen and glucose deprivation-induced neuronal apoptosis is attenuated by halothane and isofluraneL Wise-Faberowski
Department of Anesthesiology, Childrens Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02460, USA
Anesth Analg 93:1281-7. 2001..In a separate experiment, the neuronal cell cultures were exposed to isoflurane (1.13%, 2.3%, or 3.3%) or halothane (1.7%, 3.4%, or 5...
- Effects of inhalation anesthetics halothane, sevoflurane, and isoflurane on human cell linesSlavica Kvolik
Department of Anesthesiology, Clinical Hospital Osijek, J Huttlera 4, 31000 Osijek, Croatia
Life Sci 77:2369-83. 2005Cytotoxic and antiproliferative effects of halothane, isoflurane, and sevoflurane in anesthetic doses on human colon carcinoma (Caco-2), larynx carcinoma (HEp-2), pancreatic carcinoma cells (MIA PaCa-2), poorly differentiated cells from ..
- Molecular dynamics and brownian dynamics investigation of ion permeation and anesthetic halothane effects on a proton-gated ion channelMary Hongying Cheng
Department of Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, United States
J Am Chem Soc 132:16442-9. 2010..Its function can be modulated by anesthetic halothane. In the present work, we integrate molecular dynamics (MD) and Brownian dynamics (BD) simulations to elucidate ..
- Inhalational anesthetic-binding proteins in rat neuronal membranesJin Xi
Department of Anesthesia, University of Pennsylvania Health System, 305 John Morgan, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 279:19628-33. 2004..we used a combination of photolabeling, two-dimensional gel electrophoresis, and mass spectrometry to identify halothane-binding targets in rat neuronal membranes...
- Four-alpha-helix bundle with designed anesthetic binding pockets. Part II: halothane effects on structure and dynamicsTanxing Cui
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
Biophys J 94:4464-72. 2008..In this study, we determined the high-resolution NMR structure of (Aalpha(2)-L1M/L38M)(2) in the presence of halothane, a clinically used volatile anesthetic...
- Amphetamine-induced activation of forebrain EEG is prevented by noradrenergic beta-receptor blockade in the halothane-anesthetized ratC W Berridge
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53706, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 148:307-13. 2000..The current study examines the extent to which AMPH-induced activation of cortical EEG is dependent on actions of central beta-receptors...
- Reduced inhibition of cortical glutamate and GABA release by halothane in mice lacking the K+ channel, TREK-1R I Westphalen
Department of Anesthesiology, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10021, USA
Br J Pharmacol 152:939-45. 2007..We used TREK-1 knockout mice to examine the presynaptic function of TREK-1 in transmitter release and its role in the selective inhibition of glutamate vs GABA release by volatile anaesthetics...
- Trifluoroacetylated proteins in liver and plasma of guinea pigs treated with HCFC-123 and halothaneSilvia Bortolato
Department of Environmental Medicine and Public Health, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
Toxicol Lett 144:35-47. 2003..were investigated by immunoblotting in liver and plasma of guinea pigs treated with the hepatotoxic anaesthetic halothane or the chlorofluorocarbon replacement 1,1-dichloro-2,2,2-trifluoroethane (HCFC-123)...
- Halothane and xanthine oxidase increase hepatocellular enzyme release and circulating lactate after ischemia-reperfusion in rabbitsV G Nielsen
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35233 6810, USA
Anesthesiology 87:908-17. 1997..Halogenated anesthetics modify oxidant-mediated injury. The current study determined if halothane modifies hepatocellular enzyme release (e.g...
- A comparison of the incidence of the oculocardiac and oculorespiratory reflexes during sevoflurane or halothane anesthesia for strabismus surgery in childrenC E Allison
Departments of Anesthesiology and Ophthalmology, Academic Hospital Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anesth Analg 90:306-10. 2000..surgical correction of strabismus with a laryngeal mask airway and spontaneous respiration with sevoflurane or halothane inhaled anesthesia...
- Sevoflurane is less sensitive than halothane for in vitro detection of malignant hyperthermia susceptibilityS Johannsen
Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 57:1161-6. 2013..MH susceptible and nonsusceptible individuals in vitro and compared the results to the standardized test protocol with halothane and caffeine. A potential influence of a present ryanodine receptor type 1 (RyR1) mutation was investigated.
- Halothane, isoflurane and sevoflurane inhibit NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I) of cardiac mitochondriaPeter J Hanley
Institut für Normale und Pathologische Physiologie der Universität Marburg, Deutschhausstrasse 2, Germany
J Physiol 544:687-93. 2002..b>Halothane, isoflurane and sevoflurane reversibly increased NADH fluorescence (autofluorescence) in intact ventricular ..
- Cardiovascular effects of Y-27632, a selective Rho-associated kinase inhibitor, assessed in the halothane-anesthetized canine modelAkira Takahara
Department of Pharmacology, University of Yamanashi Faculty of Medicine, Tamaho cho, Nakakoma gun, Yamanashi 409 3898, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 460:51-7. 2003..information regarding in vivo cardiovascular effects of Y-27632 is still limited, we assessed them using the halothane-anesthetized, closed-chest canine model. Administration of Y-27632 in a dose of 0.01 mg/kg, i.v...
- The dose-response relationship and regional distribution of lactate after intramuscular injection of halothane and caffeine in malignant hyperthermia-susceptible pigsFrank Schuster
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Anesth Analg 102:468-72. 2006We hypothesized that IM halothane and caffeine injection increases local lactate concentration dose-dependently in malignant hyperthermia-susceptible (MHS) and nonsusceptible (MHN) pigs and that the hypermetabolic reaction measured by ..
- Halothane, but not the nonimmobilizers perfluoropentane and 1,2-dichlorohexafluorocyclobutane, depresses synaptic transmission in hippocampal CA1 neurons in ratsD M Taylor
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0648, USA
Anesth Analg 89:1040-5. 1999..atmosphere that is required to eliminate movement in response to noxious stimulation in 50% of subjects), halothane decreased population spike amplitude 37% +/- 21% (mean +/- SD), increased latency 15% +/- 9%, and decreased ..
- Differential effects of halothane and thiopental on surfactant protein C messenger RNA in vivo and in vitro in ratsC Paugam-Burtz
Unite INSERM 408, Faculte X Bichat, Paris, France
Anesthesiology 93:805-10. 2000..Our goal was to evaluate the effects of halothane and thiopental on SP-C messenger RNA (mRNA) expression in vitro in rat alveolar type II cells and in vivo in ..
- Anesthetic potency and cardiopulmonary effects of sevoflurane in goats: comparison with isoflurane and halothaneY Hikasa
Department of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Agriculture, Tottori University, Koyama Minami, Japan
Can J Vet Res 62:299-306. 1998The anesthetic potency and cardiopulmonary effects of sevoflurane were compared with those of isoflurane and halothane in goats. The (mean +/- SD) minimal alveolar concentration (MAC) was 0.96 +/- 0.12% for halothane, 1.29 +/- 0...
- Serum catecholamine levels after halothane and isoflurane anaesthesia in rabbitsA González Gil
Departamento de Fisiologia Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Vet Rec 157:589-90. 2005
- Effects of halothane and propofol on excitatory and inhibitory synaptic transmission in rat cortical neuronsAkira Kitamura
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Biological Chemistry, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611 3008, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 304:162-71. 2003..b>Halothane at clinically relevant concentrations prolonged the decay phase of spontaneous miniature inhibitory postsynaptic ..
- Investigation of the EEG effects of intravenous lidocaine during halothane anaesthesia in poniesJoanna C Murrell
Department of Clinical Sciences of Companion Animals, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Vet Anaesth Analg 32:212-21. 2005To record the electroencephalographic changes during castration in ponies anaesthetized with halothane and given intravenous (IV) lidocaine by infusion...
- Effects of breed, sex and halothane genotype on fatty acid composition of triacylglycerols and phospholipids in pork longissimus muscleS Zhang
Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Biology, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
J Anim Breed Genet 126:259-68. 2009The objective of this study was to estimate the effects of breed, sex, and halothane (HAL-1843) genotype on fatty acid composition of triacylglycerols (TAG) and phospholipids (PL) extracted from porcine longissimus muscle (LM)...
- Effect of polyI:C cotreatment on halothane-induced liver injury in miceLinling Cheng
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Hepatology 49:215-26. 2009..RNA mimetic (polyinosinic-polycytidylic acid [polyI:C]) to emulate viral infection and examined its effect on halothane-induced liver injury...
- Comparison of simultaneous changes in electroencephalographic and haemodynamic variables in sheep anaesthetised with halothaneK A Otto
Department of Laboratory Animal Science, Medical School Hannover, Germany
Vet Rec 149:80-4. 2001..of unconsciousness and depth of anaesthesia the haemodynamic and EEG data from 17 ewes anaesthetised with halothane were analysed. Data were recorded at least every five minutes...
- In-vitro contracture testing for susceptibility to malignant hyperthermia: can halothane be replaced?Thomas Metterlein
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 28:251-5. 2011..a diagnosis of malignant hyperthermia in about 70%, and in the remainder an in-vitro contracture test, with halothane and caffeine, on muscle obtained from open muscle biopsy is required to establish the diagnosis...
- Lipid-dependent effects of halothane on gramicidin channel kinetics: a new role for lipid packing stressMichael Weinrich
National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biochemistry 48:5501-3. 2009We find that the sensitivity of gramicidin A channels to the anesthetic halothane is highly lipid dependent...
- The halothane sensitivity locus and its linkage relationshipsA L Archibald
Anim Blood Groups Biochem Genet 16:253-63. 1985
- Trifluoroacetylated IgG4 antibodies in a child with idiosyncratic acute liver failure after first exposure to halothaneChristine Nguyen
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Lucille Packard Children s Hospital, Stanford University Medical Center, Palo Alto, CA, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 47:199-202. 2008
- A genetic study of the anesthetic response: mutants of Drosophila melanogaster altered in sensitivity to halothaneK S Krishnan
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87:8632-6. 1990..mutagenized fruit flies and selected four lines that show an abnormal response to the volatile anesthetic halothane. Specifically, about 2-fold higher concentrations of halothane are required to induce the loss of motor control ..
- Endocrine stress response in jugular-vein cannulated rats upon multiple exposure to either diethyl-ether, halothane/O2/N2O or sham anaesthesiaM de Haan
Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Weesp, The Netherlands
Lab Anim 36:105-14. 2002..For this purpose, jugular-vein cannulated rats were subjected to either sham, diethyl-ether or halothane/O2/N2O anaesthesia, and their plasma ACTH, corticosterone, glucose, adrenaline and noradrenaline levels measured...
- The effects of propofol or halothane on free radical production after tourniquet induced ischaemia-reperfusion injury during knee arthroplastyO Aldemir
Department of Anaesthesiology, Gazi University, School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 45:1221-5. 2001..The aim of the study was to investigate the effects of propofol or halothane anaesthesia on oxidative stress by determining malondialdehyde (MDA) levels during knee arthroplasty...
- Ryanodine receptor gene is a candidate for predisposition to malignant hyperthermiaD H MacLennan
Banting and Best Department of Medical Research, Charles H Best Institute, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nature 343:559-61. 1990..In humans, the trait is usually inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion, but in halothane-sensitive pigs with a similar phenotype, inheritance of the disease is autosomal recessive or co-dominant...
- Effect of halothane on the release of [Ca2+]i in dorsal root ganglion neuronsDawidson A Gomes
Departamento de Farmacologia, Fisiologia e Biofísica, UFMG, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Neuroreport 15:1187-90. 2004We investigated the effect of the volatile anaesthetic halothane on [Ca2+]i of dorsal root ganglion neurons. Halothane was able to increase [Ca2+]i in those neurons in a dose-dependent manner and independent of extracellular calcium...
- Flumazenil improves cognitive and neuromotor emergence and attenuates shivering after halothane-, enflurane- and isoflurane-based anesthesiaA A Weinbroum
Post Anesthesia Care Unit, The Department Of Anesthesiology Critical Care Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, The Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Can J Anaesth 48:963-72. 2001To conduct a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blinded, clinical experiment testing the hypothesis that flumazenil, a benzodiazepine antagonist, may affect recovery from halothane-, enflurane- and isoflurane-based anesthesia.
- Assessment of halothane and sevoflurane anesthesia in spontaneously breathing ratsMichele A Steffey
Department of Surgical and Radiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Vet Res 64:470-4. 2003To characterize halothane and sevoflurane anesthesia in spontaneously breathing rats.
- The effects of halothane sensitivity on carcass composition and meat quality in HAL-1843-normal pigsC P Allison
Department of Animal Science, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
J Anim Sci 83:671-8. 2005Objectives of this study were to determine the incidence of halothane sensitivity in pigs that are homozygous normal at the ryanodine receptor nucleotide 1843 (HAL-1843-normal) and the relationships between halothane sensitivity and ..
- The effects of volatile anesthetics on spontaneous contractility of isolated human pregnant uterine muscle: a comparison among sevoflurane, desflurane, isoflurane, and halothaneKyung Y Yoo
Department of Anesthesiology, Chonnam National University Medical School, 5 Hak dong, Gwangju 501 746, Korea
Anesth Analg 103:443-7, table of contents. 2006We examined the effects of equianesthetic concentrations of sevoflurane, desflurane, isoflurane, and halothane on the spontaneous contractility of isolated human pregnant uterine muscles...
- Identification of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor amino acids photolabeled by the volatile anesthetic halothaneDavid C Chiara
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Biochemistry 42:13457-67. 2003..we photolabeled nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR)-rich membranes from Torpedo electric organ with [(14)C]halothane and determined by Edman degradation some of the photolabeled amino acids in nAChR subunit fragments isolated by ..
- Blood flow-dependent changes in intrarenal nitric oxide levels during anesthesia with halothane or sevofluraneKazuhito Kusudo
Department of Anesthesiology, Mitoyo General Hospital, Kagawa 769 1695, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 498:267-73. 2004We previously demonstrated that intrarenal nitric oxide (NO) levels and renal blood flow are reduced during halothane anesthesia...
- Anesthetics alter the physical and functional properties of the Ca-ATPase in cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulumB S Karon
Department of Biochemistry, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Biophys J 68:936-45. 1995We have studied the effects of the local anesthetic lidocaine, and the general anesthetic halothane, on the function and oligomeric state of the CA-ATPase in cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR)...
- Effects of isoflurane, halothane, and chloroform on the interactions and lateral organization of lipids in the liquid-ordered phaseSerhan Turkyilmaz
Department of Chemistry, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18015, USA
Langmuir 27:14380-5. 2011..in combination with Monte Carlo simulations, have been used to investigate the action of isoflurane, halothane, and chloroform on the compactness and lateral organization of cholesterol-rich bilayers of 1,2-dipalmitoyl-sn-..
- Halothane changes the domain structure of a binary lipid membraneMichael Weinrich
National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research, Eunice Kennedy Shriver Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Langmuir 28:4723-8. 2012X-ray and neutron diffraction studies of a binary lipid membrane demonstrate that halothane at physiological concentrations produces a pronounced redistribution of lipids between domains of different lipid types identified by different ..
- The impact of age on bispectral index values and EEG bispectrum during anaesthesia with desflurane and halothane in childrenO Tirel
Department of Anaesthesiology and Surgical Intensive Care 2, Hospital Pontchaillou, 2 rue Henri Le Guilloux, 35033 Rennes Cedex 9, France
Br J Anaesth 96:480-5. 2006..The aim of this study was to quantify the BIS values at 1 MAC (minimum alveolar concentration) for desflurane and halothane, and explore the relationship with age for these anaesthetic agents in children.
- Induction, recovery, and safety characteristics of sevoflurane in children undergoing ambulatory surgery. A comparison with halothaneJ Lerman
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anesthesiology 84:1332-40. 1996..To determine whether the induction, recovery, and safety characteristics of sevoflurane differ from those of halothane, the following open-labeled, multicenter, randomized, controlled, phase III study in children undergoing ..
- Modulation of TRPC5 cation channels by halothane, chloroform and propofolY M Bahnasi
Faculty of Biological Sciences, Institute of Membrane and Systems Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Br J Pharmacol 153:1505-12. 2008..g. Gd3+) and phospholipids (e.g. lysophosphatidylcholine: LPC). Here we report the effects of inhalational (halothane and chloroform) and intravenous (propofol) general anaesthetics upon TRPC5.
- Inhibition of presynaptic sodium channels by halothaneL Ratnakumari
Department of Anesthesiology, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
Anesthesiology 88:1043-54. 1998..In this study, the biochemical effects of halothane on Na+ channel function were determined using rat brain synaptosomes (pinched-off nerve terminals) to assess the ..
- Pulmonary-to-systemic blood flow ratio effects of sevoflurane, isoflurane, halothane, and fentanyl/midazolam with 100% oxygen in children with congenital heart diseaseTracy H Laird
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Texas Children s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine, 6621 Fannin, Houston, TX 77030 2399, USA
Anesth Analg 95:1200-6, table of contents. 2002..In this study, we compared the effects of halothane, isoflurane, sevoflurane, and fentanyl/midazolam on Qp:Qs and myocardial contractility in patients with atrial (..
- Halothane binding proteome in human brain cortexJonathan Z Pan
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania Health System, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Proteome Res 6:582-92. 2007..To identify the anesthetic-binding targets and functional pathways associated with these targets in human brain, halothane photolabeling and two-dimensional (2D) gel electrophoresis were used...
- The sensitivity and specificity of the caffeine-halothane contracture test: a report from the North American Malignant Hyperthermia Registry. The North American Malignant Hyperthermia Registry of MHAUSG C Allen
The North American Malignant Hyperthermia Registry, Department of Anesthesia, College of Medicine, The Pennsylvania State University, Hershey 17033 0850, USA
Anesthesiology 88:579-88. 1998The caffeine-halothane contracture test (CHCT) is the only recognized laboratory test to diagnose malignant hyperthermia (MH)...
- Mutations conferring new patterns of sensitivity to volatile anesthetics in Caenorhabditis elegansP G Morgan
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Ohio
Anesthesiology 81:888-98. 1994..elegans with altered responses to anesthetics have been identified by screening the response to halothane. The current study was designed to identify classes of mutations by screening for alterations in sensitivity to ..
- Uptake and biotransformation of sevoflurane in humans: a comparative study of sevoflurane with halothane, enflurane, and isofluraneY Shiraishi
Department of Anesthesiology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Shizuoka, Japan
J Clin Anesth 2:381-6. 1990STUDY OBJECTIVE: To compare the volatile anesthetic sevoflurane with halothane, enflurane, and isoflurane on the uptake and biotransformation in humans...
- Estradiol and progesterone modulate halothane-induced liver injury in miceYasuyuki Toyoda
Drug Metabolism and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kanazawa University, Kakuma machi, Kanazawa 920 1192, Japan
Toxicol Lett 204:17-24. 2011..In general, it is believed that women exhibit worse outcomes from DILI than men. It is known that halothane (HAL), an inhaled anesthetic, rarely induces severe liver injury...
- Effects of isoflurane, enflurane, and halothane on skeletal muscle microcirculation in the endotoxemic ratJ Schumacher
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical University of Luebeck, Germany
J Crit Care 16:1-7. 2001..We compared the microcirculatory alterations in skeletal muscle under anesthesia with isoflurane, enflurane, and halothane in an endotoxemic rat preparation...
- Inhaled anesthetics elicit region-specific changes in protein expression in mammalian brainJonathan Z Pan
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proteomics 8:2983-92. 2008..Quantitative analysis shows that 5 h exposures to 1 minimum alveolar concentration (1 MAC) halothane caused changes in the expression of approximately 2% of detectable proteins, but only at 2-24 h after awakening, ..
- Flumazenil does not antagonize halothane, thiamylal or propofol anaesthesia in ratsT Murayama
Department of Anesthesia, Kyoto University Hospital, Japan
Br J Anaesth 69:61-4. 1992We have studied the effects of flumazenil on sleep time and EEG in rats anaesthetized with 1.5% halothane, propofol 20 mg kg-1, thiamylal 30 mg kg-1, or combinations of diazepam 5 mg kg-1 and anaesthetic agents...
- A minimal stress model for the assessment of electroacupuncture analgesia in rats under halothaneYeong Ray Wen
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur J Pain 11:733-42. 2007..1%, 0.3%, 0.5%, 0.7%, or 1.1% halothane for 120min. Under 0...
- The postoperative effects of halothane versus isoflurane on hepatic artery and portal vein blood flow in humansClaire Gatecel
département d anesthésie réanimation chirurgicale, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Lariboisière, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Anesth Analg 96:740-5, table of contents. 2003Animal studies have shown that halothane decreases total hepatic blood flow (THBF) by reducing both arterial (HABF) and portal (PVBF) inflow, whereas isoflurane appears to preserve them...
- Volatile anesthetics modulate the binding of guanine nucleotides to the alpha subunits of heterotrimeric GTP binding proteinsS N Pentyala
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 384:213-22. 1999..At sub-anesthetic doses, halothane, isoflurane, enflurane and sevoflurane inhibit exchange of GTPgammaS for GDP bound to Galpha subunits and ..
- Higher susceptibility to halothane modulation in open- than in closed-channel alpha4beta2 nAChR revealed by molecular dynamics simulationsLu Tian Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Phys Chem B 114:626-32. 2010..Flexible ligand docking and over 20 ns molecular dynamics simulations revealed similar halothane-binding sites in the closed and open channels...
- Multiple actions of halothane on contractile response to noradrenaline in isolated mesenteric resistance arteriesJ Yoshino
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 371:500-15. 2005b>Halothane, a volatile anaesthetic, produces systemic hypotension and significantly alters organ blood flow...
- Involvement of natural killer T cells in halothane-induced liver injury in miceLinling Cheng
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Denver, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 80:255-61. 2010..We have recently developed a murine model of halothane-induced liver injury (HILI)...
- Unresponsive correlated motion in alpha7 nAChR to halothane binding explains its functional insensitivity to volatile anestheticsDavid Mowrey
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Phys Chem B 114:7649-55. 2010..Inhaled general anesthetics, such as halothane, could effectively inhibit the channel activity of the alpha4beta2 nAChR but not the homologous alpha7 nAChR...
- Behavioural effects of chronic exposure to subanesthetic concentrations of halothane, sevoflurane and desflurane in ratsMurat Ozer
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Ondokuz Mayis University, Faculty of Medicine, Samsun, Turkey
Can J Anaesth 53:653-8. 2006A double-blind, randomized trial was conducted to determine the behavioural effects of chronic exposure to subanesthetic concentrations of halothane, sevoflurane and desflurane in rats.
- Interleukin 10 deficiency exacerbates halothane induced liver injury by increasing interleukin 8 expression and neutrophil infiltrationDechun Feng
Institute of Health Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Biochem Pharmacol 77:277-84. 2009..Using a newly established DILI model induced by halothane, we found increased liver damage susceptibility in interleukin 10 (IL-10) knockout (KO) mice...
- Effects of breed, sex, and halothane genotype on fatty acid composition of pork longissimus muscleS Zhang
Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Biology, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50010, USA
J Anim Sci 85:583-91. 2007The objective of this study was to estimate the effects of breed, sex, and halothane genotype on fatty acid composition and several fatty acid indices of lipid extracted from porcine LM...
- Landiolol decreases a dysrhythmogenic dose of epinephrine in dogs during halothane anesthesiaS Takahashi
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Tsukuba, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Ibaraki, Japan
Can J Anaesth 46:599-604. 1999To examine the effect of landiolol (ONO-1101), a new ultra-short acting and highly selective beta blocker, on epinephrine-induced ventricular arrhythmias in halothane-anesthetized dogs.
- Halogen bonded complexes between volatile anaesthetics (chloroform, halothane, enflurane, isoflurane) and formaldehyde: a theoretical studyWiktor Zierkiewicz
Faculty of Chemistry, Wrocław University of Technology, Wybrzeze Wyspianskiego 27, 50 370 Wrocław, Poland
Phys Chem Chem Phys 13:5105-13. 2011The structures and intermolecular interactions in the halogen bonded complexes of anaesthetics (chloroform, halothane, enflurane and isoflurane) with formaldehyde were studied by ab initio MP2 and CCSD(T) methods...
- Sevoflurane versus halothane: effect of oxycodone premedication on emergence behaviour in childrenDavid J Murray
Department of Anesthesiology, Washington University at St Louis Children s Hospital, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 12:308-12. 2002..The purpose of the study was to determine a frequency and duration of agitation with halothane and sevoflurane anaesthesia and whether oxycodone premedication affected the incidence of emergence agitation in ..
- Functional MRI of the cervical spinal cord during noxious and innocuous thermal stimulation in the alpha-chloralose- and halothane-anesthetized ratJane Lawrence
Department of Physiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, R3E 3J7
Magn Reson Imaging 26:1-10. 2008..The patterns of functional activity elicited by thermal stimuli were compared in alpha-chloralose- and halothane-anesthetized rats...
- Effects of halothane and isoflurane on fast and slow inactivation of human heart hH1a sodium channelsA Stadnicka
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53226, USA
Anesthesiology 90:1671-83. 1999..This study evaluated the mechanisms of volatile anesthetic actions on the cloned human cardiac sodium channel (hH1a) alpha subunit...
- Comparative effects of halothane, isoflurane, sevoflurane and desflurane on the electroencephalogram of the ratJ C Murrell
Comparative Anatomy and Physiology, Institute of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences, College of Sciences, Massey University, Private Bag 11 222, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Lab Anim 42:161-70. 2008..b>Halothane causes less EEG depression than isoflurane, however, the EEG effects of halothane, isoflurane, sevoflurane and ..
- Halothane and propofol differentially affect electroencephalographic responses to noxious stimulationM Orth
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of California, Davis, 95616, USA
Br J Anaesth 95:477-84. 2005..We investigated the actions of propofol and halothane on EEG responses to noxious stimuli, including repetitive electrical C-fibre stimulation, which normally evokes ..
- Halothane inhibits T cell proliferation and interleukin-2 receptor expression in ratsJ G Hamra
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Diego, LaJolla 92093-0818, USA
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 18:323-36. 1996In order to determine the effects of halothane on rat cell-mediated immune function, rats were exposed to 1% halothane for up to 5 hours...
- Inhaled anesthetic potency in aged Alzheimer miceShannon L Bianchi
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Anesth Analg 110:427-30. 2010..General anesthesia may exacerbate symptoms of and the pathology underlying AD, so minimizing anesthetic exposure may be important. This requires knowledge of whether the continuing AD pathogenesis alters anesthetic potency...
- The point mutation Arg615-->Cys in the Ca2+ release channel of skeletal sarcoplasmic reticulum is responsible for hypersensitivity to caffeine and halothane in malignant hyperthermiaK Otsu
First Department of Medicine, Osaka University Medical School, Japan
J Biol Chem 269:9413-5. 1994..Exposure to clinical doses of halothane resulted in a rapid increase of [Ca2+]i in cells expressing the mutated ryanodine receptor, whereas no [Ca2+] ..
- Effects of halothane sensitivity on mobility status and blood metabolites of HAL-1843-normal pigs after rigorous handlingC P Allison
Department of Animal Science, Michigan State University, East Lansing, 48824, USA
J Anim Sci 84:1015-21. 2006The objective of this study was to determine if HAL-1843-normal pigs that respond abnormally to halothane anesthesia were more likely to become nonambulatory (NA) when subjected to rigorous handling than pigs that exhibit a normal ..
- Ca2+- and myosin phosphorylation-independent relaxation by halothane in K+-depolarized rat mesenteric arteriesIsao Tsuneyoshi
Department of Anesthesiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Anesthesiology 99:656-65. 2003..In this study, the effects of halothane on Ca2+ signaling and Ca2+ activation of contractile proteins were examined in high K+-depolarized smooth muscle ..
- Determination of the minimum alveolar concentration for halothane, isoflurane and sevoflurane in the gerbilI A Gómez de Segura
Department of Animal Medicine and Surgery, Veterinary Faculty, University Complutense of Madrid, Avda Puerta de Hierro, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Lab Anim 43:239-42. 2009The present work determined the minimum alveolar concentrations (MAC) of halothane, isoflurane and sevoflurane in adult female gerbils (n=24)...
- Reversible inhibition of hypoxia-inducible factor 1 activation by exposure of hypoxic cells to the volatile anesthetic halothaneT Itoh
Department of Anesthesia, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan
FEBS Lett 509:225-9. 2001..We demonstrate for the first time that the volatile anesthetic halothane blocks HIF-1 activity and downstream target gene expressions induced by hypoxia in the human hepatoma-derived ..
- A mouse model of severe halothane hepatitis based on human risk factorsChristine M Dugan
Cellular and Molecular Biology Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 333:364-72. 2010b>Halothane (2-bromo-2-chloro-1,1,1-trifluoro-ethane) is an inhaled anesthetic that induces severe, idiosyncratic liver injury, i.e., "halothane hepatitis," in approximately 1 in 20,000 human patients...
- Effects of halothane, isoflurane, and sevoflurane on lipid peroxidation following experimental closed head trauma in ratsA Yurdakoc
Department of Anaesthesiology, Kirklareli Hospital, Edirne, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 52:658-63. 2008In a rat closed head trauma model we examined both the time course of lipid peroxidation and the effects of halothane, isoflurane, and sevoflurane on it by analysis of malondialdehyde (MDA) formation.
- The effects of dexmedetomidine and halothane on Fos expression in the spinal dorsal horn using a rat postoperative pain modelNoriko Shimode
Department of Anesthesiology, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1 1 Mukogawa cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo, 663 8501, Japan
Neurosci Lett 343:45-8. 2003..effect of an intrathecal injection of a selective alpha2 adrenergic receptor agonist, dexmedetomidine (Dex), and halothane anesthesia on Fos expression in the lumbar spinal dorsal horn after skin incision of the plantar surface of the ..
- Mice display sex differences in halothane-induced polymorphic ventricular tachycardiaMilou Daniel Drici
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Unite Mixte de Recherche, Sophia Antipolis, 06560 Valbonne, France
Circulation 106:497-503. 2002..Molecularly engineered mice are extensively used as models of cardiovascular diseases, yet little is known about sex differences in the electrophysiology of mouse hearts...
- The effect of isoflurane, halothane and pentobarbital on noise-induced hearing loss in miceJong Woo Chung
Department of Otolaryngology, Asan Medical Center, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Korea
Anesth Analg 104:1404-8, table of contents. 2007..Ear surgery using mastoid drills can lead to noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). We investigated whether inhaled anesthetics or pentobarbital could have protective effects on NIHL in mice...
- Isoflurane, but not halothane, depresses c-fos expression in rat spinal cord at concentrations that suppress reflex movement after supramaximal noxious stimulationSteven L Jinks
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
Anesth Analg 95:1622-8, table of contents. 2002We investigated the effects of isoflurane and halothane on the induction of fos-like immunoreactivity (FLI) in the rat lumbosacral spinal cord after supramaximal noxious mechanical stimulation of the hindpaw...
- Fulminant hepatic failure following halothane anaesthesiaG Pradeep Kumar
Department of Forensic Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
J Clin Forensic Med 12:271-3. 2005..injury to his left hand in an industrial accident, died due to, fulminant hepatitis, hepatic encephalopathy and acute renal failure, having undergone six operations under general anesthesia with halothane during his stay in the hospital.
- Optimization of the FPI model for epilepsy therapy developmentRAIMONDO D'AMBROSIO; Fiscal Year: 2013..than parietal/occipita cortices and limbic structures, and generates CRSSs that are fully blocked by halothane, partially blocked by valproate, and very resistant to carbamazepine and carisbamate...
- Anesthetic Sites in Transmembrance Peptides by NMRPei Tang; Fiscal Year: 2012..receptor (nAChR) transmembrane (TM) domains so that their different sensitivities to volatile anesthetics (halothane and isoflurane) can be understood on a structural basis;(2) to quantify the global dynamics of the (14)2(22)3 ..
- VOLATILE ANESTHETICS AND NEURONAL CALCIUMTHOMAS JOSEPH JOHN BLANCK; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will test this hypothesis by comparing the effects of tree VAs, isoflurane, halothane, and F3, with that of two structurally related molecules that fail to produce immobility (non-immobilizers (NIMs)..
- INHALATIONAL ANESTHETICS AND CORONARY VASOMOTIONJOHN SILL; Fiscal Year: 1992Effects of the anesthetics isoflurane, halothane, enflurane, and nitrous oxide upon epicardial coronary dimensions and coronary arteriolar tone will be studied in dogs and humans...
- MYOCARDIAL ISCHEMIA INDUCED BY INHALED ANESTHETICSCHARLES BUFFINGTON; Fiscal Year: 1993..There is accumulating evidence that halothane and isoflurane, the major inhalation anesthetics in use today, differ in their effects on coronary vessels and ..
- LUNG AND AIRWAY AFFERENTS AND THEIR REFLEX ROLEJOHN COLERIDGE; Fiscal Year: 1992..3) To examine the response of bronchial C-fibers to inhalation of cigarette smoke, particular irritants and halothane. 4) To examine the sensory properties of nonmyelinated pulmonary vagal fibers, recently identified in this ..
- EFFECTS OF ANESTHESIA AND LOADING ON RESPIRATIONENID KAFER; Fiscal Year: 1980..They include the failure to examine the effects of clinically relevant inhalational anesthetics (halothane, enflurane and isoflurane) and the absence of neurophysiological studies on the effects of general anesthetics ..
- Development of fMRI Methods for NeuropharmacologyShi Jiang Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..in the rat brain produced by forepaw stimulation, a) Determine the dose effects of four anesthetic agents, halothane, isoflurane, alpha-chloralose and urethane, on the functional BOLD response...
- SITES OF ANESTHETIC ACTION IN INHIBITORY RECEPTORSEric Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such differences suggest that there may be a structural basis for interactions with VAs. Halothane and other halogenated alkane VAs appear to have a different site of action in these receptors, when compared to ..
- INFLUENCE OF ANESTHETICS ON ISCHEMIC MYOCARDIUMDavid Warltier; Fiscal Year: 1990..In this proposal, the effects of 3 volatile anesthetics (halothane, enflurane and isoflurane) and 2 narcotic agonists (fentanyl and sufentanil) on ischemic myocardium will be ..
- ANESTHESIA RESEARCH CENTERWilliam Hamilton; Fiscal Year: 1980..The pharmacokinetics of dTC during narcotic-nitrous oxide vs halothane anesthesia in patients undergoing surgery...
- ANESTHETICS ALTER VASCULAR CELL PHOSPHATIDYLINOSITOLAudrey Robinson White; Fiscal Year: 1990..of the effects of anesthetic agents on the PI system in vascular cells to volatile anesthetics such as halothane and isoflurane...
- MOLECULAR STUDIES OF ANESTHETIC-MUSCARINIC INTERACTIONSMarcel Durieux; Fiscal Year: 1999..proposal, m1, m2 and m3 receptors muscarinic receptors will be expressed in Xenopus oocytes, and the effects of halothane, isoflurane, desflurane, ketamine, propofol and althesin on their functioning will be studied...
- SELECTIVE ANESTHETIC ACTIONS ON NMDA RECEPTORSHugh Criswell; Fiscal Year: 2002..Specific Aim II will compare the effects of ethyl ether, isoflurane, enflurane, halothane and chloral hydrate on whole- cell currents elicited by NMDA and correlate those responses with the presence or ..
- CEREBRAL ISCHEMIA--MINIMIZING DAMAGE DURING ANESTHESIADavid Warner; Fiscal Year: 1992..Physiologically stable rats will be anesthetized with specific doses of isoflurane, halothane, or pentobarbital with duration of anesthetic exposure carefully controlled...
- ORGAN PROTECTION: ROLE OF ANESTHETICSJOHN TINKER; Fiscal Year: 1980..We have already tested halothane and enflurane and find them to be superior to pentobarbital in this regard...
- QTLS UNDERLYING MOLECULAR ACTION OF GENERAL ANESTHETICSThomas Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2000..QTLs are to be identified for other general anesthetics (isoflurane, enflurane, etomidate, halothane, and ketamine) using both LS x SS recombinant inbred strains and F2 mice...
- Volatile Anesthesic Inhibition of Ca2+ Release in AirwayGary Sieck; Fiscal Year: 2006Volatile anesthetics such as halothane, isoflurane and sevoflurane are potent bronchodilators. The long-term goal of the proposed research is to understand the mechanisms by which volatile anesthetics relax airway smooth muscle (ASM)...
- ANESTHETIC TOXICITY--MECHANISMS AND PREVENTIONEvan Kharasch; Fiscal Year: 1999..b>Halothane, the most widely used anesthetic in the world, causes a rare but fatal fulminant hepatic necrosis...
- ANESTHETIC ACTION AND VIRUS REPLICATIONPaul Knight; Fiscal Year: 1992..The mechanism by which halothane, enflurane, or isoflurane affect viral macromolecular synthesis and maturation, especially protein synthesis and ..
- EFFECTS OF INHALATIONAL ANESTHETICS ON REPRODUCTIONRobert Wharton; Fiscal Year: 1980..determine if chronic exposure to subanesthetic and anesthetic concentrations of the inhalational anesthetics, halothane, nitrous oxide, methoxyflurane, enflurane and isoflurane, adversely effect the reproductive processes...
- VASODILATION DURING ANESTHESIA: MECHANISM AND REVERSALDAVID LARACH; Fiscal Year: 1990..Preliminary studies using both in vivo and in vitro methods in two species indicate that halothane selectively interferes with post-junctional alpha2-adrenergic mediated vasoconstriction, when compared with the ..
- NMR STUDY OF BRAIN FUNCTION AND METABOLISM IN ANESTHESIAAlice Wyrwicz; Fiscal Year: 1999..magnetic resonance project is proposed to study the influence of five fluorinated general anesthetics - halothane, isoflurane, desflurane and sevoflurane - on rabbit brain in vivo...
- Volatile Anesthetics & the alpha5 subunit of the GABAA-RNorbert Topf; Fiscal Year: 2003..containing the alpha5 subunit (alpha5beta3gamma2s) in HEK 293 cells and study the effects of isoflurane and halothane on these receptors. 2...
- NON-INVASIVE DIAGNOSIS FOR MALIGNANT HYPERTHERMIAS Ohnishi; Fiscal Year: 1990..can be triggered in a susceptible individual with virtually any potent inhalational agent (most commonly with halothane) and/or succinylcholine (a widely used muscle relaxant) in the operating room...
- PULMONARY ARTERY NEUROEFFECTOR JUNCTIONSDUANE RORIE; Fiscal Year: 1992..at neuroeffector units in pulmonary artery; (3) to determine whether hypoxia or the volatile anesthetic agent halothane alters the interaction bf NPY, VIP or NE at neuroeffector junctions in pulmonary or systemic arteries...
- CEREBRAL ISCHEMIA--DAMAGE DURING ANESTHESIADavid Warner; Fiscal Year: 1999..We have shown that rats anesthetized with halothane have reduced injury when compared to rats undergoing ischemia while awake...
- ANESTHETICS AND CARDIOPROTECTIVE SIGNAL TRANSDUCTIONJudy Kersten; Fiscal Year: 2001..Within this environment, the candidate will investigate the actions of the volatile anesthetics, isoflurane and halothane, to modulate cardioprotective signal transduction...
- BONE MARROW ASPIRATIONS IN CHILDREN; TREATMENT OUTCOMESUSAN JAY; Fiscal Year: 1991..The aim of the current proposal is to evaluate general anesthesia (nitrous oxide and halothane) as compared to the CBTP in terms of patient, parent, and staff distress; cost/benefit ratio and "consumer ..
- INCREASE OF TOXICITY OF TRACE ANESTHETICS BY UV LIGHTJOANNES KARIS; Fiscal Year: 1980..We have shown that: 1) Halothane is decomposed by UV irradiation to several decomposition products, of which CF3COCl, CF2 double bond CHCl, CF3-..
- MAGNETIC RESONANCE INVESTIGATION OF ANESTHESIAAlice Wyrwicz; Fiscal Year: 1990..will be used to directly and noninvasively monitor the distribution of four fluorinated anesthetic agents (halothane, methoxyflurane, isoflurane and enflurane) in rabbit brain...
- Basis of Voltage & Chemical Gating in Connexin ChannelsMICHAEL PULJUNG; Fiscal Year: 2002..Experiments are proposed to test the hypothesis that block of these hemichannels by heptanol, halothane, and divalent cations should be the same in hemichannels as in intact intercellular channels, indicating that ..
- IMMUNE MECHANISMS IN HALOTHANE HEPATITISA Gandolfi; Fiscal Year: 1992..b>Halothane exposure(s) produce antibodies (and immune complexes) in animals and halothane-hepatitis patients that recognize ..
- ANESTHETIC DEPRESSION OF THE MYOCARDIUMThomas Blanck; Fiscal Year: 1993Hypotension and cardiac arrest have been observed in patients anesthetized with the anesthetics halothane, enflurane, and isoflurane. These volatile anesthetics (VA) are in wide clinical use today...
- VOLATILE ANESTHETIC INTERACTIONS WITH GABA-A RECEPTORSNeil Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will study the effects of isoflurane and halothane on GABA responses in the following mutant GABAA-Rs: a1b2g2, a1(S270H)b2g2, a1(S270W) b2g2 and a1(S270W; A291W)..
- IMPORTANCE OF PERIPHERAL SITES OF ANALGESIC ACTIONJerry Collins; Fiscal Year: 2001..Hyperalgesia is again documented at this time. Drug injection into one paw is carried out under halothane anesthesia, which is then discontinued, and latencies to withdrawal measured every 15 minutes after the animal ..
- HUMAN METABOLISM OF HALOTHANE--MARKERS OF TOXIC EXPOSUREJames Trudell; Fiscal Year: 1993..The following experiments with halothane will also contribute to the understanding of how other halogenated hydrocarbons cause liver disease and cancer...
- HUMAN METABOLISM OF HALOTHANE-MECHANISMS OF TOXICITYJames Trudell; Fiscal Year: 1990..The following experiments with halothane will also contribute to the understanding of how other halogenated hydrocarbons cause liver disease and cancer...
- HEPATOPROTECTIVE MECHANISMS OF DMSOA Gandolfi; Fiscal Year: 1999..In preliminary studies, DMSO has been shown to reverse the hepatotoxicity produced by halothane, bromobenzene, and chloroform when administered up to 24 hr after the toxicant exposure...
- INHALATION ANESTHETIC HEPATOTOXICITYBURNELL BROWN; Fiscal Year: 1992..b>Halothane and enflurane, two widely used volatile anesthetics that are known to produce sporadic and spontaneous liver ..
- ANESTHETIC ACTION ON OPIATE PEPTIDE GENE EXPRESSIONGregory Crosby; Fiscal Year: 2000..agents are known to provide preemptive analgesia (nitrous oxide, morphine, pentobarbital) and others do not (halothane and isoflurane)...
- VOLATILE ANESTHETICS & RAT HEART CELL CONTRACTILITYDavid Wheeler; Fiscal Year: 1991..is to determine the mechanism of the myocardial depressant effects of the widely used volatile anesthetics halothane, enflurane and isofluane...
- NEURON-GLIA INTERACTION: ION/ELEMENT AND H20 HOMEOSTASISALBERT SAUBERMANN; Fiscal Year: 1991..nervous system (CNS) elemental and ionic homeo-stasis and the effects of anesthetic agents (pentobarbital, halothane, and morphine) on that process...
- ANESTHETIC MECHANISMS IN VASCULAR SMOOTH MUSCLEWALTER BOYLE; Fiscal Year: 2005..small resistance arteries, studies to date on this project indicate that vascular smooth relaxation by the VA halothane occurs by a novel mechanism whereby MLC phosphorylation is inhibited in the absence of any effect on [Ca2+]i...
- Synaptic inhibition by volatile ansetheticsLing Gang Wu; Fiscal Year: 2003..With these techniques, we will study the action of three commonly used volatile anesthetics, isoflurane, halothane and sevoflurane at clinically relevant concentrations...
- BIOSENSOR TEST ANESTHETIC EFFECTS ON CARDIAC MEMBRANESNANCY DOWNER; Fiscal Year: 1990..The capacitance response of the system to the application of agonists, antagonists, halothane, and to various combinations of these agents will be measured...
- GENES CONTROLLING ANESTHETIC ACTIONC Crowder; Fiscal Year: 2000..elegans have been found variant in their sensitivity to halothane, with halothane EC50 concentrations of 0.2 - 0...
- ANESTHETIC DEPRESSION OF THE MYOCARDIUMThomas Blanck; Fiscal Year: 1980The effect of halothane an inhalation anesthetic, on the steady state kinetics of Ca 2ion uptake by the cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum has been examined...
- BRAIN TERATOGENESIS OF AMBIENT AIR HALOTHANERichard Wiggins; Fiscal Year: 1980Effects of chronic halothane exposure will be examined neurochemically and neurophysiologically in rat brains. Persistence of halothane and metabolites in tissues will receive considerable attention...
- BRAIN AND SPINAL CORD CONTRIBUTIONS TO ANESTHETIC ACTIONJOSEPH ANTOGNINI; Fiscal Year: 2005..This information will aid the development of newer and safer anesthetics, as well as lead to clinically useful means of modulating the neurotransmitter systems that are themselves modulated by anesthetics. ..
- ANESTHETIC EFFECTS ON SENSORIMOTOR INTEGRATIONJOSEPH ANTOGNINI; Fiscal Year: 2009..processing, the present proposal will use neurophysiological methods to assess the effects of isoflurane (ISO), halothane (HAL) and propofol (PROP) at several spinal sites (dorsal horn;intermediate and ventral horn) and on ..
- INHALATIONAL ANESTHETIC BINDING STUDIESRoderic Eckenhoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Interaction of amyloid beta and inhaled anestheticsRoderic Eckenhoff; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will provide the feasibility to extend this hypothesis to animal models and ultimately to clinical studies of the interaction between anesthetics and neurodegeneration. ..
- The Role of the Amygdala in Anesthetic-Induced AmnesiaMICHAEL ALKIRE; Fiscal Year: 2006..whether excitotoxic-induced bilateral lesions of the BL will block the amnesia of the volitile anesthetic agents halothane (thought to act preferentially on the amygdala) and isoflurane (a commonly used inhalational agent)...
- MECHANISMS OF ANESTHETIC ACTION ON SMOOTH MUSCLEJUDY SU; Fiscal Year: 2004..Further the understanding of signal pathways of CaMKII and PKC in smooth muscle will advance understanding mechanisms of agonist-activated force maintenance in smooth muscle, as well as cell motility and migration in non-muscle cells. ..
- SITES AND MECHANISMS OF INHALED ANESTHETIC ACTIONSEDMOND EGER; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Genes Underlying the Response to Inhaled AnestheticsJames Sonner; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- VOLATILE ANESTHETICS AND CARDIAC FUNCTIONPHILIPPE HOUSMANS; Fiscal Year: 2001..Moreover, these results might provide a rational basis of knowledge on which to formulate pharmacological action to reverse or prevent myocardial depression in surgical patients. ..
- Brain K+ Dynamics, BBB Breakdown & Hemorrhagic Transformation in Ischemic StrokeStephen Jones; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal's investigation of the relation of BBB breakdown to HT could lead directly to additional di- agnostic and therapeutic advances in the assessment and management of acute ischemic stroke. ..
- PKC modulation of calcium current and anesthetic actionGANESAN KAMATCHI; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Aim III we will identify the PKC isozymes modulated by volatile anesthetics, halothane or isoflurane in Xenopus oocytes by employing the methods mentioned in Aim II...
- CENTRAL NEURONAL MECHANISMS--DECOMPENSATED HEMORRHAGEPATRICE GUYENET; Fiscal Year: 2003..Understanding the neurophysiological mechanisms triggered by hypotensive hemorrhage should lead to improved ability to manage this all too frequent clinical problem. ..
- ORGANIZATION OF CENTRAL SYMPATHETIC PATHWAYSPATRICE GUYENET; Fiscal Year: 2008..The research will contribute to the basic physiological knowledge needed to understand how syrr pathetic tone is regulated in health and in diseases such as arrhythmias, hypertension and dysautonomias. ..