Genomes and Genes
Summary: A commonly used laboratory solvent. It was previously used as an anesthetic, but was banned from use in the U.S. due to its suspected carcinogenicity.
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Spectrophotometric determination of pipazethate HCl, dextromethorphan HBr and drotaverine HCl in their pharmaceutical preparationsAlaa S Amin
Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, Benha University, Benha, Egypt
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 67:1088-93. 2007..The method consists of extracting the formed ion-associates into chloroform in the case of pipazethate HCl and dextromethorphan HBr or into methylene chloride in the case of drotaverine ..
- The single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction: twenty-something years onPiotr Chomczynski
Molecular Research Center, 2600 Clifton Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45221, USA
Nat Protoc 1:581-5. 2006..from DNA after extraction with an acidic solution containing guanidinium thiocyanate, sodium acetate, phenol and chloroform, followed by centrifugation...
- Sperm motility inhibitory effect of the benzene chromatographic fraction of the chloroform extract of the seeds of Carica papaya in langur monkey, Presbytis entellus entellusNirmal K Lohiya
Centre for Advanced Studies, Department of Zoology, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India
Asian J Androl 10:298-306. 2008To assess the contraceptive efficacy of the benzene chromatographic fraction of the chloroform extract of the seeds of Carica papaya in langur monkeys.
- Cytotoxicity evaluation of gutta-percha solvents: Chloroform and GP-Solvent (limonene)La ongthong Vajrabhaya
Department of Operative Dentistry, Mahidol University Faculty of Dentistry, Bangkok, Thailand
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 98:756-9. 2004The purpose of this study was to compare the cytotoxicity of 2 gutta-percha solvents, chloroform and GP-Solvent, on cell line L929.
- Reverse dosimetry: interpreting trihalomethanes biomonitoring data using physiologically based pharmacokinetic modelingYu Mei Tan
CIIT Centers for Health Research, Center for Human Health Assessment, 6 Davis Drive, P O Box 12137, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2137, USA
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 17:591-603. 2007..The present study used an existing PBPK model for chloroform as a generic framework to develop PBPK models for other trihalomethanes (THMs)...
- Hepatoprotection by dimethyl sulfoxide. I. Protection when given twenty-four hours after chloroform or bromobenzeneR C Lind
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, University of Arizona, Tucson 85721, USA
Toxicol Pathol 27:342-7. 1999Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) has previously been reported to protect against hepatotoxicity resulting from chloroform (CHCl3) or bromobenzene (BB) when given 10 hr after the toxicant...
- Comparative efficacy and immunogenicity of Q fever chloroform:methanol residue (CMR) and phase I cellular (Q-Vax) vaccines in cynomolgus monkeys challenged by aerosolDavid M Waag
Pathogenesis and Immunology Branch, Bacteriology Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD 21702 5011, USA
Vaccine 20:2623-34. 2002Preliminary evidence gathered in rodents and livestock suggested that a phase I chloroform:methanol residue (CMR) extracted vaccine was safe and efficacious in protecting these animals from challenge with the obligate phagolysosomal ..
- Computational toxicology of chloroform: reverse dosimetry using Bayesian inference, Markov chain Monte Carlo simulation, and human biomonitoring dataMichael A Lyons
Quantitative and Computational Toxicology Group, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:1040-6. 2008..One problem of interpreting population-based biomonitoring data is the reconstruction of corresponding external exposure in cases where no such data are available...
- A comparison of the effectiveness of chloroform and eucalyptus oil in dissolving root canal sealersEdgar Schafer
Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Munster, Germany
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 93:611-6. 2002The solubility of 8 different root canal sealers in chloroform and in eucalyptus oil was compared.
- A large, voltage-dependent channel, isolated from mitochondria by water-free chloroform extractionEvgeny Pavlov
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
Biophys J 88:2614-25. 2005We examined ion channels derived from a chloroform extract of isolated, dehydrated rat liver mitochondria...
- Antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory and antipyretic effects of Solanum nigrum chloroform extract in animal modelsZainul Amiruddin Zakaria
Faculty of Biotechnology and Life Sciences, Universiti Industri Selangor, Jalan Zirkon A7 A, Seksyen 7, 40000 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
Yakugaku Zasshi 126:1171-8. 2006The present study was carried out to evaluate the antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory and antipyretic effects of chloroform extract of Solanum nigrum leaves using various animal models.
- Time dependence of chloroform-induced metabolic alterations in the liver and kidney of B6C3F1 miceS Rossi
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Comparative Toxicology and Ecotoxicology Laboratory, Viale Regina Elena 299 00161, Rome, Italy
Arch Toxicol 73:387-93. 1999..In the liver no biochemical changes were produced up to a week after chloroform treatment...
- Mutagenicity of carbon tetrachloride and chloroform in Salmonella typhimurium TA98, TA100, TA1535, and TA1537, and Escherichia coli WP2uvrA/pKM101 and WP2/pKM101, using a gas exposure methodAkihiro Araki
Mutagenicity Test Division, Japan Bioassay Research Center, Japan Industrial Safety and Health Association, Hadano, Kanagawa, Japan
Environ Mol Mutagen 43:128-33. 2004The volatile solvents carbon tetrachloride and chloroform are carcinogens that are often reported as nonmutagenic in bacterial mutagenicity assays...
- Apoptotic effects of Physalis minima L. chloroform extract in human breast carcinoma T-47D cells mediated by c-myc-, p53-, and caspase-3-dependent pathwaysKheng Leong Ooi
School of Biological Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia
Integr Cancer Ther 9:73-83. 2010The chloroform extract of Physalis minima produced a significant growth inhibition against human T-47D breast carcinoma cells as compared with other extracts with an EC(50) value of 3.8 microg/mL...
- Chloroform extract of Carica papaya seeds induces long-term reversible azoospermia in langur monkeyN K Lohiya
Department of Zoology, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India
Asian J Androl 4:17-26. 2002To evaluate the antifertility activity of the chloroform extract of Carica papaya seeds by oral administration in langur monkey, Presbytis entellus entellus.
- Effect of chloroform on dichloroacetic acid and trichloroacetic acid-induced hypomethylation and expression of the c-myc gene and on their promotion of liver and kidney tumors in miceM A Pereira
Department of Pathology, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Carcinogenesis 22:1511-9. 2001b>Chloroform, dichloroacetic acid (DCA) and trichloroacetic acid (TCA) are mouse liver carcinogens that are chlorine disinfection by-products found in drinking water...
- The antimicrobial effect of chloroform on Enterococcus faecalis after gutta-percha removalScott W Edgar
Department of Endodontology, Oregon Health Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
J Endod 32:1185-7. 2006The purpose of this in vitro study was to evaluate the antimicrobial effectiveness of chloroform on Enterococcus faecalis when used as a gutta-percha solvent during endodontic retreatment...
- Singlet oxygen production upon two-photon excitation of TiO2 in chloroformWenbing Li
Department of Chemistry, Jackson State University, 1400 J R Lynch Street, Jackson, MS 39217, USA
Chemphyschem 10:1789-93. 2009..By employing (1)O(2) as a probe, we have established an efficient and simple method to elucidate the nature of TiO(2) photoexcitation...
- Dose-dependent liver tissue repair after chloroform plus trichloroethylene binary mixtureSathanandam S Anand
Department of Toxicology, School of Pharmacy, The University of Louisiana at Monroe, LA 71209, USA
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 96:436-44. 2005The aim of the present study was to investigate the hypothesis that liver tissue repair induced by exposure to chloroform (CHCl(3))+trichloroethylene binary mixture (BM) is dose-dependent similar to that elicited by exposure to these ..
- Three-dimensional structure of (1-71)bacterioopsin solubilized in methanol/chloroform and SDS micelles determined by 15N-1H heteronuclear NMR spectroscopyK V Pervushin
Shemyakin and Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
Eur J Biochem 219:571-83. 1994..fragment C2 (residues 1-71) of bacterioopsin from Halobacterium halobium, solubilized in a mixture of methanol/chloroform (1:1, by vol.) and 0...
- Analgesic, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory effects of methanol, chloroform and ether extracts of Vernonia cinerea less leafE O Iwalewa
Department of Pharmacology, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 86:229-34. 2003The chloroform, methanolic and ether extracts of Vernonia cinerea (Asteraceae; Less) leaf (100, 200 and 400mg/kg intraperitoneally) were tested in: acetic acid-induced writhing in mice, carrageenin-induced oedema and brewer's yeast-..
- Construction of recombinant Nitrosomonas europaea expressing green fluorescent protein in response to co-oxidation of chloroformBarbara O Gvakharia
Department of Botany and Plant Pathology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 82:1179-85. 2009..europaea in response to oxidation of chloroform and chloromethane. In N...
- Physiologically based pharmacokinetic modeling of the temperature-dependent dermal absorption of chloroform by humans following bath water exposuresR A Corley
Battelle Memorial Institute, Pacific Northwest Division, Chemical Dosimetry, Richland, Washington 99352, USA
Toxicol Sci 53:13-23. 2000The kinetics of chloroform in the exhaled breath of human volunteers exposed skin-only via bath water (concentrations < 100 ppb) were analyzed using a physiologically based pharmacokinetic (PBPK) model...
- A simple stopped assay for fatty acid amide hydrolase avoiding the use of a chloroform extraction phaseLinda Boldrup
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Neuroscience, , SE901 87 Ume, Sweden
J Biochem Biophys Methods 60:171-7. 2004..It is concluded that the acidic charcoal extraction method provides a robust and simple stopped assay for FAAH without the need to use potentially hazardous solvents like chloroform.
- Biologically motivated computational modeling of chloroform cytolethality and regenerative cellular proliferationYu-Mei Tan
CIIT Centers for Health Research, 6 Davis Drive, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Toxicol Sci 75:192-200. 2003b>Chloroform is a nongenotoxic-cytotoxic carcinogen in rodents. As such, events related to cytotoxicity are the driving force for cancer induction...
- Removal of chloroform from biodegradable therapeutic microspheres by radiolysisS W Zielhuis
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int J Pharm 315:67-74. 2006..microspheres are loaded with holmium acetylacetonate (HoAcAc) and prepared by a solvent evaporation method using chloroform. After preparation the microspheres (Ho-PLLA-MS) are activated by neutron irradiation in a nuclear reactor...
- Evaluation of chloroform/methanol extraction to facilitate the study of membrane proteins of non-model plantsAnnelies Vertommen
Division of Crop Biotechnics, Department of Biosystems, K U Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Planta 231:1113-25. 2010..In this study, protein extraction in a mixture of chloroform and methanol in combination with gel electrophoresis is evaluated as a method to study membrane proteins in non-..
- The n-hexane and chloroform fractions of Piper betle L. trigger different arms of immune responses in BALB/c mice and exhibit antifilarial activity against human lymphatic filarid Brugia malayiMeghna Singh
Division of Parasitology, Central Drug Research Institute, P Box 173, Lucknow 226001, India
Int Immunopharmacol 9:716-28. 2009..present report describes the in vivo immunomodulatory efficacy of the crude methanolic extract and its n-hexane, chloroform, n-butanol fractions of the female plant at various dose levels ranging between 0.3 and 500 mg/kg in BALB/c...
- Reduced mitochondrial membrane potential and metabolism correspond to acute chloroform toxicity of in vitro hepatocytesSean Hartig
Vanderbilt University, Department of Chemical Engineering, VU Station B, Box 351604, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, TN 37235-1604, USA
J Appl Toxicol 25:310-7. 2005b>Chloroform is a non-genotoxic compound that is present in drinking water and ambient air as a result of water chlorination but whose carcinogenic mechanism in humans is unknown...
- A simple and efficient Triton X-100 boiling and chloroform extraction method of RNA isolation from Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteriaKidon Sung
US Food and Drug Administration, National Center for Toxicological Research, Division of Microbiology, 3900 NCTR Road, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 229:97-101. 2003..The method provides a rapid, reliable, and simple tool for the isolation of good quality RNA suitable for various molecular biology experiments...
- Global transcriptional response of Nitrosomonas europaea to chloroform and chloromethaneBarbara O Gvakharia
Department of Botany and Plant Pathology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:3440-5. 2007Upon exposure of Nitrosomonas europaea to chloroform (7 microM, 1 h), transcripts for 175 of 2,460 genes were found at higher levels in treated cells than in untreated cells and transcripts for 501 genes were found at lower levels...
- Cation dependence of chloride ion complexation by open-chained receptor molecules in chloroform solutionRobert Pajewski
Department of Chemistry, Washington University, 1 Brookings Drive, St. Louis, Missouri 63130, USA
J Am Chem Soc 127:18281-95. 2005..Significant differences are apparent in complexation strengths when the heptapeptide chain is shortened or lengthened or when the relative position of proline within the heptapeptide is varied...
- A protocol for combined delipidation and subfractionation of membrane proteins using organic solventsBernd Schröder
Institute of Physiological Chemistry, Philipps University Marburg, 35033 Marburg, Germany
Anal Biochem 357:144-6. 2006
- Tissue repair plays pivotal role in final outcome of liver injury following chloroform and allyl alcohol binary mixtureSathanandam S Anand
Department of Toxicology, School of Pharmacy, The University of Louisiana at Monroe, Monroe, LA 71209, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 41:1123-32. 2003The objective of this study was to evaluate the interaction profile of chloroform (CHCl(3))+allyl alcohol (AA) binary mixture (BM)-induced acute hepatotoxic response...
- Antidiabetic and renoprotective effects of the chloroform extract of Terminalia chebula Retz. seeds in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsNalamolu Koteswara Rao
Pharmacology Division, GITAM Dental College, Visakhapatnam 530045, Andhra Pradesh, India
BMC Complement Altern Med 6:17. 2006..In the present investigation, the chloroform extract of T...
- Dermal uptake of chloroform and haloketones during bathingXu Xu
The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, 08854, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 15:289-96. 2005..We evaluated dermal absorption of two haloketones (1,1-dichloropropanone and 1,1,1-trichloropropanone) and chloroform while bathing, by collecting and analyzing time profiles of expired breath samples of six human subjects during ..
- Bioactivation, toxicokinetics and acute effects of chloroform in Fisher 344 and Osborne Mendel male ratsSimonetta Gemma
Biochemical Toxicology Unit, Comparative Toxicology and Ecotoxicology Laboratory, Istituto Superiore di Sanit, Rome, Italy
J Appl Toxicol 24:203-10. 2004b>Chloroform has been regarded as a renal carcinogen, based on results obtained with Osborne Mendel (OM) rats...
- Human respiratory uptake of chloroform and haloketones during showeringXu Xu
The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 15:6-16. 2005..human study was conducted on six subjects to determine the respiratory uptake of haloketones (HKs) and chloroform, a reference compound, during showering...
- The metabolic rate constants and specific activity of human and rat hepatic cytochrome P-450 2E1 toward toluene and chloroformJohn C Lipscomb
U S Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Center for Environmental Assessment, Cincinnati, OH 45268, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 67:537-53. 2004b>Chloroform (CHCl3) is a near-ubiquitous environmental contaminant, a by-product of the disinfection of drinking water sources and a commercially important compound...
- Age-related changes in the photoreactivity of retinal lipofuscin granules: role of chloroform-insoluble componentsMałgorzata Rózanowska
Department of Biophysics, Faculty of Biotechnology, Krakow, Poland School of Optometry and Vision Sciences, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:1052-60. 2004..As the composition, absorption, and fluorescence of lipofuscin undergo age-related changes, the purpose of this study was to determine whether photoreactivity of lipofuscin granules also changes with the donor age...
- Adaptive tolerance in mice upon subchronic exposure to chloroform: Increased exhalation and target tissue regenerationSathanandam S Anand
Department of Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, The University of Louisiana at Monroe, 700 University Avenue, Sugar Hall 306, Monroe, LA 71209 0495, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 213:267-81. 2006The aims of the present study were to characterize the subchronic toxicity of chloroform by measuring tissue injury, repair, and distribution of chloroform and to assess the reasons for the development of tolerance to subchronic ..
- Diagnostic radiopacity and hepatotoxicity following chloroform ingestion: a case reportS H Choi
Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
Emerg Med J 23:394-5. 2006..METHODS: Ingestion of chloroform with radiopaque material in the bowel on abdominal radiograph was documented...
- Extent and timeliness of tissue repair determines the dose-related hepatotoxicity of chloroformSathanandam S Anand
Department of Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, University of Louisiana at Monroe, Monroe, Louisiana 71209-0495, USA
Int J Toxicol 22:25-33. 2003..regardless of the mechanisms by which injury is inflicted, using a well-known environmental pollutant, chloroform (CHCl(3))...
- RNA extraction from various recalcitrant plant tissues with a cethyltrimethylammonium bromide-containing buffer followed by an acid guanidium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform treatmentYuji Suzuki
Laboratory of Plant Environmental Responses, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:1951-3. 2008..using a cethyltrimethylammonium bromide-containing buffer followed by an acid guanidium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform treatment from recalcitrant plant tissues such as tree leaves (pine, Norway spruce, ginkgo, Japanese cedar, rose)..
- Protective effect of a 43 kD protein from the leaves of the herb, Cajanus indicus L on chloroform induced hepatic-disorderAyantika Ghosh
Department of Chemistry, Bose Institute, 93/1, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road, Kolkata-700009, India
J Biochem Mol Biol 39:197-207. 2006..Present study aimed to evaluate the effect of a 43 kD protein isolated from the leaves of this herb against chloroform induced hepatotoxicity...
- Bayesian estimation of pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic parameters in a mode-of-action-based cancer risk assessment for chloroformKai H Liao
Center for Human Health Assessment, The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Risk Anal 27:1535-51. 2007b>Chloroform is a carcinogen in rodents and its carcinogenicity is secondary to events associated with cytotoxicity and regenerative cell proliferation...
- Foldamer dynamics expressed via Markov state models. I. Explicit solvent molecular-dynamics simulations in acetonitrile, chloroform, methanol, and waterSidney P Elmer
Department of Chemistry, Stanford University, California 94305-5080, USA
J Chem Phys 123:114902. 2005..polyphenylacetylene (pPA) 12-mer in explicit solvent for four common organic and aqueous solvents: acetonitrile, chloroform, methanol, and water. The solvent quality has a dramatic effect on the time scales in which pPA 12-mers fold...
- Metabolism of chloroform by cytochrome P450 2E1 is required for induction of toxicity in the liver, kidney, and nose of male miceA A Constan
Chemical Industry Institute of Toxicology, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 27709 2137, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 160:120-6. 1999b>Chloroform is a nongenotoxic-cytotoxic liver and kidney carcinogen and nasal toxicant in some strains and sexes of rodents...
- In vitro assessment of the effect of halogenated hydrocarbons: chloroform, dichloromethane, and dibromoethane on embryonic development of the ratP D Brown-Woodman
Department of Biochemical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sydney, Lidcombe, N S W, Australia
Teratology 57:321-33. 1998..In the present study three of these solvents--chloroform, dichloromethane, and dibromoethane--were examined for embryotoxic/teratogenic potential using rat embryo ..
- Binding of the volatile anesthetic chloroform to albumin demonstrated using tryptophan fluorescence quenchingJ S Johansson
Department of Anesthesia and the Johnson Research Foundation, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Biol Chem 272:17961-5. 1997..intrinsic protein fluorescence quenching approach to monitor anesthetic-protein complexation is reported using chloroform. Chloroform quenches the steady-state tryptophan fluorescence of bovine serum albumin (BSA) in a concentration-..
- Glutathione S-transferase-mediated mutagenicity of trihalomethanes in Salmonella typhimurium: contrasting results with bromodichloromethane off chloroformR A Pegram
Experimental Toxicology Division, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27711, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 144:183-8. 1997..Among the THMs, chloroform (CHCl3) generally occurs at the highest concentration in finished water, but the concentrations of each of the ..
- A comparison of carbon and nitrogen stable isotope ratios of fish tissues following lipid extractions with non-polar and traditional chloroform/methanol solvent systemsJohn M Logan
Large Pelagics Research Center, Zoology Department, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH 03824, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 22:1081-6. 2008..1-12.5). In order to compare delta(13)C and delta(15)N values from traditional chloroform/methanol extractions with non-polar solvent alternatives, we analyzed samples following (1) no treatment, (2) ..
- Environmental and biological monitoring of chloroform in indoor swimming poolsG Aggazzotti
Cattedra di Metodologia Epidemiologica ed Igiene, , Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche, , Italy
J Chromatogr A 710:181-90. 1995The presence of chloroform as the result of disinfection with sodium hypochlorite was demonstrated in the water and ambient air of indoor swimming pools...
- Probabilistic human health risk assessment for quarterly exposure to high chloroform concentrations in drinking-water distribution network of the Province of Quebec, CanadaStephane Buteau
Institut National de Sante Publique du Quebec, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Toxicol Environ Health A 73:1626-44. 2010..The resulting absorbed doses were compared to short-term reference values for chloroform, used as surrogate for THM, by calculating risk quotients (RQ)...
- Mechanisms of chloroform-induced hepatotoxicity: oxidative stress and mitochondrial permeability transition in freshly isolated mouse hepatocytesAngela S Burke
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 70:1936-45. 2007The role of mitochondrial permeability transition (MPT) and oxidative stress in chloroform toxicity was determined in freshly isolated female B6C3F1 mouse hepatocytes...
- Chloroform extract of deer antler inhibits osteoclast differentiation and bone resorptionYin Ji Li
Division of Molecular Life Sciences and Center for Cell Signaling Research, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 113:191-8. 2007..b>Chloroform extract (CE-C) of deer antler inhibited osteoclast differentiation in mouse bone marrow cultures stimulated by ..
- A case of acute toxic hepatitis after suicidal chloroform and dichloromethane ingestionHoon Kim
Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, Chungbuk National University, Chungbuk 361 763, South Korea
Am J Emerg Med 26:1073.e3-6. 2008b>Chloroform and dichloromethane are halogenated hydrocarbons that have been used as a potent anesthetic agent or a general industrial solvent...
- HPLC and anti-inflammatory studies of the flavonoid rich chloroform extract fraction of Orthosiphon stamineus leavesMun Fei Yam
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 Minden, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Molecules 15:4452-66. 2010..Active chloroform extract of O. stamineus was fractionated into three fractions using a dry flash column chromatography method...
- Chloroform: exposure estimation, hazard characterization, and exposure-response analysisM E Meek
Existing Substances Division, Environmental Health Directorate, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev 5:283-334. 2002b>Chloroform has been assessed as a Priority Substance under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act...
- Cancer risk associated with household exposure to chloroformBenoît Lévesque
Unite de Recherche en Sante publique, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Beauport, Canada
J Toxicol Environ Health A 65:489-502. 2002b>Chloroform (CHCl3) the trihalomethane most prevalent in drinking water, is a proven animal carcinogen and a suspected human carcinogen...
- DNA extraction and quantitation of forensic samples using the phenol-chloroform method and real-time PCRSilvano Köchl
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Methods Mol Biol 297:13-30. 2005..The phenol-chloroform method is a sensitive method for the extraction of DNA from a wide variety of forensic samples, although it is ..
- Use of a physiologically based pharmacokinetic model to identify exposures consistent with human biomonitoring data for chloroformYu Mei Tan
Center for Human Health Assessment, CIIT Centers for Health Research, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 69:1727-56. 2006..was to use a combined PBPK model with an exposure model for showering to estimate the intake concentrations of chloroform based on measured blood and exhaled breath concentrations of chloroform...
- Structure and potential C-terminal dimerization of a recombinant mutant of surfactant-associated protein C in chloroform/methanolBurkhard Luy
Institut fur Organische Chemie und Biochemie, Technische Universitat Munchen, Garching, Germany
Eur J Biochem 271:2076-85. 2004..of a recombinant mutant [rSP-C (FFI)] of the human surfactant-associated protein C (hSP-C) in a mixture of chloroform and methanol was determined by high-resolution NMR spectroscopy...
- Metabolism of chloroform in the human liver and identification of the competent P450sSimonetta Gemma
Biochemical Toxicology Unit, Comparative Toxicology and Ecotoxicology Laboratory, Istituto Superiore di Sanit, Rome, Italy
Drug Metab Dispos 31:266-74. 2003The oxidative and reductive cytochrome P450 (P450)-mediated chloroform bioactivation has been investigated in human liver microsomes (HLM), and the role of human P450s have been defined by integrating results from several experimental ..
- Formation of chloroform and other chlorinated byproducts by chlorination of triclosan-containing antibacterial productsE Matthew Fiss
The Charles E Via, Jr Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061, USA
Environ Sci Technol 41:2387-94. 2007..Products detected included (chlorophenoxy) phenols, 2,4-dichlorophenol, 2,4,6-trichlorophenol, and chloroform. The daughter product yields were found to be highly variable and were dependent on the antimicrobial product ..
- The relationship between water concentrations and individual uptake of chloroform: a simulation studyHeather J Whitaker
Small Area Health Statistics Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
Environ Health Perspect 111:688-94. 2003We simulated the relationship between water chloroform concentrations and chloroform uptake in pregnant women to assess the potential extent of exposure measurement error in epidemiologic studies of the health effects of exposure to water ..
- Chloroform, carbon tetrachloride and glutathione depletion induce secondary genotoxicity in liver cells via oxidative stressEmma J Beddowes
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, UK
Toxicology 187:101-15. 2003..b>Chloroform and carbon tetrachloride are rodent carcinogens with characteristics as described above...
- Potentiation of pentobarbital hypnosis by Rosa damascena in miceH Rakhshandah
Department of Pharmacology, Ghaem Medical Center, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad 91735, Iran
Indian J Exp Biol 44:910-2. 2006..The results showed that the ethanolic and aqueous extracts in 500 and 1000 mg/kg doses significantly increased pentobarbital induced sleeping time which was comparable to diazepam. The chloroformic extract had no hypnotic effect...
- Mutagenic evaluation and chemical investigation of Byrsonima intermedia A. Juss. leaf extractsMiriam Sannomiya
Araraquara Institute of Chemistry, Sao Paulo State University, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 112:319-26. 2007..Methanol, hydromethanol and chloroform extracts were evaluated in mutagenic assay with Salmonella typhimurium (Ames test) and mice (Micronucleus test)...
- Enhanced solvent extraction of polar lipids associated with rubber particles from Hevea brasiliensisFrederic Bonfils
CIRAD CP, 73 rue Jean François Breton, 34398 Montpellier, France
Phytochem Anal 18:103-8. 2007..This technique is proposed as an alternative to traditional extraction methods used for solid natural rubber as it offers advantages with respect to ease of application, extract quality, extraction yields and reproducibility...
- Influence of temperature on 31P NMR chemical shifts of phospholipids and their metabolites I. In chloroform-methanol-waterRosendo Estrada
Department of Chemistry, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Anal Biochem 380:41-50. 2008..Compared to their parent glycerophospholipids, all lyso analogs had greater temperature coefficients, possibly due to the presence of an extra OH capable of forming a H-bond with the phosphate group...
- Dichloromethane as a solvent for lipid extraction and assessment of lipid classes and fatty acids from samples of different naturesElena Cequier-Sánchez
Instituto Universitario de Bio Orgánica A G González, University of La Laguna, Avenida Francisco Sánchez 2, Tenerife, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 56:4297-303. 2008..Two different extraction methods were compared, one containing chloroform/methanol, another containing dichloromethane/methanol...
- Matrix-isolation study and ab initio calculations of the structure and spectra of hydroxyacetoneArchna Sharma
Department of Chemistry, University of Coimbra, P 3004 535 Coimbra, Portugal
J Phys Chem A 112:5935-46. 2008..Finally, we calculated (1)H, (13)C, and (17)O NMR chemical shifts at different levels of theory and found them to agree with available experimental data...
- Formation of hydrogen-bonded complexes between bile acids and lidocaine in the lidocaine transfer from an aqueous phase to chloroformMihalj Posa
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Novi Sad, Hajduk Veljkova 3, 21000 Novi Sad, Serbia
Eur J Pharm Sci 34:281-92. 2008..the rate constant of the decrease of lidocaine concentration in the aqueous phase during its transfer to the chloroform solution of a bile acid...
- Antinociceptive effect of selected Mexican traditional medicinal speciesMyrna Deciga-Campos
Departamento de Farmacia, Facultad de Quimica, UNAM, Mexico, D F
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 48:70-2. 2005..Reduction of stretching per unit of time was considered as antinociception. Methanol-chloroform extract of the plants Exostema caribaeum, Brickellia veronicaefolia, Scaphyglottis livida, Ligusticum porteri, ..
- Antimicrobial activity of the essential oil and extracts of Cordia curassavica (Boraginaceae)Tzasna Hernandez
Laboratorio de Fitoquimica, UBIPRO, Facultad de Estudios Superiores Iztacala, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Tlalnepantla 54090, Edo de Mexico, Mexico
J Ethnopharmacol 111:137-41. 2007..antimicrobial activity of the essential oil, obtained by using Clevenger distillation apparatus, and hexane, chloroform and methanol extracts from aerial parts of Cordia curassavica...
- Chymotrypsin inhibitory triterpenoids from Silybum marianumEjaz Ahmed
International Center for Chemical Sciences, H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi, Pakistan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 54:103-6. 2006..Their structures were elucidated on the basis of extensive analysis of their one dimensional and two dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance (1D, 2D-NMR) spectral data. All inhibited chymotrypsin in a concentration-dependent manner...
- Solvation properties of N-substituted cis and trans amides are not identical: significant enthalpy and entropy changes are revealed by the use of variable temperature 1H NMR in aqueous and chloroform solutions and ab initio calculationsAnastassios N Troganis
Department of Biological Applications and Technologies, University of Ioannina, Ioannina GR-45110, Greece
J Phys Chem A 109:11878-84. 2005..Consideration of the solvent effects via the PCM approach on NMF x H2O and TBF x H2O supermolecules improves the agreement with the experimental results for TBF isomers, but not for NMF...
- Complete basis set B3LYP NMR calculations of CDCl3 solvent's water fine spectral detailsTeobald Kupka
Institute of Chemistry, University of Opole, 48 Oleska Street, 45 052 Opole, Poland
Magn Reson Chem 46:851-8. 2008..082 +/- 0.030 Hz of HOD in chloroform-d(1) and the H/D isotopic shift of 0.0307(1) ppm were reported for the first time...
- Technical note: Improved extraction method with hexane for gas chromatographic analysis of conjugated linoleic acidsM Y Jung
Department of Food Science and Agricultural Chemistry, McGill University, Ste-Anne de-Bellevue, QC, H9X 3V9, Canada
J Dairy Sci 89:90-4. 2006Extraction properties of different solvents (chloroform/methanol, hexane/isopropanol, and hexane) were studied for the gas chromatographic analysis of conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) from probiotic bacteria grown in de Man, Rogosa, and ..
- Spasmolytic and spasmogenic activities of crude extract and subsequent fractions of Paeonia emodiT Khan
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Karachi, Pakistan
Pharmazie 62:476-7. 2007..The ethyl acetate and chloroform fractions exhibited excellent spasmolytic activities and were more potent than the native crude extract...
- Solvent release into a sandy aquifer 3: enhanced dissolution by methanol injectionK Broholm
Waterloo Centre for Groundwater Research, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1, Canada
Environ Technol 28:11-8. 2007A field experiment involving a release of 5 litres of a mixture of chlorinated solvents (0.5 l of chloroform, 2.0 l of trichloroethylene, and 2...
- Studies of the extraction of bilirubin from human amniotic fluidDavid N Bailey
Division of Laboratory Medicine, Department of Pathology, University of California-San Diego, CA 92103, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 125:771-3. 2006The recovery of unconjugated bilirubin from human amniotic fluid was studied using dichloromethane, chloroform/isopropanol (3:1 vol/vol), and chloroform/ methanol (3:1 vol/vol) extraction of human amniotic fluid that had been supplemented ..
- Immunoisolation and subfractionation of synaptic vesicle proteinsJacqueline Burré
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, Neurochemistry, JW Goethe University, Max von Laue Str 9, 60438 Frankfurt, Germany
Anal Biochem 362:172-81. 2007....
- Interaction of transmembrane helices in ATP synthase subunit a in solution as revealed by spin label difference NMROleg Y Dmitriev
Department of Biomolecular Chemistry, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, 1300 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1777:227-37. 2008..The protein was purified and NMR experiments were carried out in a chloroform-methanol-H2O (4:4:1) solvent mixture...
- Evaluation of Polygonum bistorta for anticancer potential using selected cancer cell linesKaruppiah Pillai Manoharan
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Med Chem 3:121-6. 2007The chloroform and hexane fractions and their sub-fractions of Polygonum bistorta (Polygonaceae) were evaluated for their cytotoxic activity against P338 (Murine lymphocytic leukaemia), HepG2 (Hepatocellular carcinoma), J82 (Bladder ..
- Comparison of chloroform-methanol-extracted and solvent-free triglyceride determinations in four fish speciesPamela M Bennett
Toxicology Centre, University of Saskatchewan, 44 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5B3, Canada
J Aquat Anim Health 19:179-85. 2007..b>Chloroform-methanol-extracted total body lipids (Bligh and Dyer) and total body triglycerides determined in chloroform-..
- Antiulcerogenic activity of fractions and 3,15-dioxo-21alpha-hydroxy friedelane isolated from Maytenus robusta (Celastraceae)Sergio Faloni de Andrade
Programa de Mestrado em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Núcleo de Investigações Químico Farmacêuticas NIQFAR, Universidade do Vale do Itajai UNIVALI, Itajai, Santa Catarina, Brazil
Arch Pharm Res 31:41-6. 2008The hexane, chloroform, ethyl acetate and aqueous-soluble fractions from leaves of Maytenus robusta (Celastraceae) were evaluated for their protective actions against ethanol-induced gastric lesions in rats...
- Spectroscopic study of association of a hemicyanine dye in mixed aqueous binary solventsParimal Kumar Das
Department of Chemistry, T D B College, Raniganj, West Bengal 713347, India
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 67:225-9. 2007..While the value of Delta G degrees changes very slightly with the composition of the binary mixture, the value of Delta H degrees has been observed to depend significantly with solvent composition...
- Stability-indicating HPTLC determination of imatinib mesylate in bulk drug and pharmaceutical dosage formN Vadera
Department of Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance, Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal, Karnataka 576104, India
J Pharm Biomed Anal 43:722-6. 2007..The solvent system consisted of chloroform:methanol (6:4, v/v). The system was found to give compact spot for imatinib mesylate (R(f) value of 0.53+/-0.02)...
- NMR solvent shifts of acetonitrile from frozen density embedding calculationsRosa E Bulo
Faculty of Sciences, Department of Theoretical Chemistry, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, De Boelelaan 1083, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Phys Chem A 112:2640-7. 2008..focused on the sensitive nitrogen shift of acetonitrile immersed in a selected set of solvents, namely water, chloroform, and cyclohexane...
- Assessment of the phytochemical and antitrypanosomal properties of some extracts of leaves, stem and root bark of Landolphia sp., P. BeauvS E Atawodi
Biochemistry Department, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria
J Ethnopharmacol 114:207-11. 2007..INTRODUCTION/JUSTIFICATION: There is urgent need to source for alternative chemotherapy against trypanosmosis, a disease of major importance in human and economic animals...
- Constituents of Holothuroidea, 17. Isolation and structure of biologically active monosialo-gangliosides from the sea cucumber Cucumaria echinataFumiaki Kisa
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyushu University Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 54:982-7. 2006..5), were obtained, together with two known gangliosides, SJG-1 (1) and CG-1 (2), from the lipid fraction of the chloroform/methanol extract of the sea cucumber Cucumaria echinata...
- The antioxidant properties of brown seaweed (Sargassum siliquastrum) extractsSun Hee Cho
Department of Food Science and Technology, Pukyong National University, Busan, Republic of Korea
J Med Food 10:479-85. 2007..When the extraction solvents n-hexane, chloroform, ethanol, and water were compared, the water extract showed the highest yield in extracted mass...
- Inhibition of blood platelet adhesion, aggregation and secretion by Artemisia dracunculus leaves extractsLeila Shahriyary
Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, P O Box 13145 1384, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
J Ethnopharmacol 114:194-8. 2007..Platelet hyperactivity plays an important role in atherosclerosis and arterial thrombosis. Artemisia dracunculus L. (tarragon) is a common table vegetable all over Iran and known for its anticoagulant activity in Iranian folk medicine...
- Extraction and GC/MS analysis of the human blood plasma metabolomeJiye A
Department of Medical Biosciences, Clinical Chemistry, , SE-90185, Ume, Sweden, and Department of Clinical Pharmacology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, 210029, Nanjing, China
Anal Chem 77:8086-94. 2005..The performance of five organic solvents (methanol, ethanol, acetonitrile, acetone, chloroform), singly and in combination, was investigated to optimize the LMC extraction...
- New thermochemical parameter for describing solvent effects on IR stretching vibration frequencies. Communication 2. Assessment of cooperativity effectsBoris N Solomonov
Chemical Institute, Kazan State University, Kremlevskaya 18, Kazan 420008, Russia
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 64:405-11. 2006..B, have been investigated by FTIR spectroscopy. Using chloroform as a solvent results in strengthening of CH3OH...B hydrogen bonding due to cooperativity between CH3OH.....
- Flavonoids from Iris spuria (Zeal) cultivated in EgyptAbdel Nasser B Singab
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ain Shams University, Abbassia, Cairo, Egypt
Arch Pharm Res 27:1023-8. 2004..Compounds 2, 4, 5, and 6 are reported for the first time from this plant through the present study...
- A new homotriterpene from the roots of Marsdenia tenacissima Wight and ArnD Goel
Phytochemistry Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi, India
Pharmazie 59:735-6. 2004..has been characterized as 13-(31,32-dimethyl-30-methylene-21alpha-acetoxytetradecanyl)-29-methyl-perhydrophenanthr-1,3-diene on the basis of spectral analyses...
- Solvent effect on infrared spectra of methyl methacrylate in CCl4/C6H14, CHCl3/C6H14 and C2H5OH/C6H14 binary solvent systemsJianping Zheng
Department of Chemistry, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310027, People's Republic of China
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 60:3119-23. 2004..The solute-solvent interactions in the three different binary solvent systems were discussed in detail...
- Efficiency of different extraction solvent mixtures used in analyses of aflatoxins from a certified peanut meal reference materialT E Möller
National Food Administration, Uppsala, Sweden
Food Addit Contam 21:781-5. 2004..The extraction mixtures used were chloroform-water (100 + 10), acetonitrile-water (60 + 40), acetone-water (85 + 15) and methanol-water (80 + 20)...
- OCULAR DISPOSITION OF ACYCLOGUANOSINE ANALOGUESAshim Mitra; Fiscal Year: 2001..The compounds are purified by recrystallization from methanol-chloroform mixture and purity is checked by HPLC. TLC and by melting point on two successive crystallizations...
- OCULAR DISPOSITION OF ACYCLOGUANOSINE ANALOGUESAshim Mitra; Fiscal Year: 1999..The compounds are purified by recrystallization from methanol-chloroform mixture and purity is checked by HPLC. TLC and by melting point on two successive crystallizations...
- TRICHLOROETHYLENE CAPTURE IMMUNOASSAYRobert Carlson; Fiscal Year: 2003..applicant): The halogenated solvents, which include vinyl chloride, trichloroethylene, 1,2-dichloroethane and chloroform, are a significant source of contamination at Superfund Sites...
- TRICHLOROETHYLENE BAIT-AND-SWITCH IMMUNOASSAYRobert Carlson; Fiscal Year: 2002The halogenated solvents, which include vinyl chloride, trichloroethylene,1,2 dichloroethane and chloroform, are a significant source of contamination at Superfund Sites...
- NEURAL MECHANISMS OF PAIN AND HYPERALGESIAJon Levine; Fiscal Year: 1993..We have, in addition, recently developed an animal model, using cutaneous application of chloroform, of noradrenaline (NA)- sensitive hyperalgesia, such as occurs clinically in reflex sympathetic dystrophy and ..
- Innovative molecular cytogenetic techniques for early leukemia/lymphoma detectionJOE LUCAS; Fiscal Year: 2005..The method includes subtracting hybridized biotin-labeled repetitive-sequence DNA complex with phenol and chloroform and a second subtraction using avidin labeled magnetic beads...
- ETHANOL AND THE STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF CELL MEMBRANESNathan Janes; Fiscal Year: 2003..transfer protein (PITP) is enhanced by the presence of clinical concentrations of ethanol or chloroform. We found that PITP activity is exquisitely sensitive to membrane structure (curvature) in ethanol's absence-..
- Novel Herbal Medicine for the Treatment of Prostate CancerCHENDIL DAMODARAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Earlier, we reported that the chloroform fraction of Rasagenthi Lehyam (cRL), an herbal preparation, is effective for the treatment of PCa (Ranga et al...
- Novel Herbal Medicine for the Treatment of Prostate CancerCHENDIL DAMODARAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Earlier, we reported that the chloroform fraction of Rasagenthi Lehyam (cRL), an herbal preparation, is effective for the treatment of PCa (Ranga et al...
- STRUCTURE AND FOLDING OF SUBUNIT C OF THE FLFO ATPASEMark Girvin; Fiscal Year: 2000..The protein has been shown to fold as a pair of interacting antiparallel helices in a mixture of chloroform-methanol-water by NMR, with the structural features predicted from a large number of biochemical and genetic ..