- Residues of organochlorine pesticides and PCBs in some Brazilian municipal solid waste compost
Analytical Chemistry Department, Sao Paulo State University UNESP, Araraquara, SP, Brazil
J Environ Sci Health B 42:697-705. 2007
..This kind of study is the first step in making available information to answer questions regarding MSW compost for sustainable agricultural use, such as the pollutants accumulation in soil and in groundwater, and plants uptake...
- Increased plasma levels of toxic pollutants accompanying weight loss induced by hypocaloric diet or by bariatric surgery
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Laval University, , Canada
Obes Surg 16:1145-54. 2006
..Future research will have to determine if: 1) this pollutant concentration remains elevated over time and 2) there are long-term effects of this high concentration on health...
- Organochlorines, p53 mutations in relation to breast cancer risk and survival. A Danish cohort-nested case-controls study
Annette Pernille Høyer
The Copenhagen Center for Prospective Population Studies, Denmark
Breast Cancer Res Treat 71:59-65. 2002
..These preliminary results suggest that p53 mutations may have a modifying effect on at least the breast cancer risk associated with exposures to organochlorines...
- Organochlorine exposure and incidence of diabetes in a cohort of Great Lakes sport fish consumers
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:1076-82. 2009
..Prospective studies, however, have been lacking...
- Organochlorines affect the steroid hormone cortisol in free-ranging polar bears (Ursus maritimus) at Svalbard, Norway
Department of Production Animal Clinical Science, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, Oslo, Norway
J Toxicol Environ Health A 67:959-77. 2004
..Despite the complexity on stress responses and the interactions with environmental factors, this study demonstrated that high concentrations of OCs in polar bears might alter plasma cortisol concentrations...
- Reproductive success and contaminants in tree swallows (Tachycineta bicolor) breeding at a wastewater treatment plant
Patti L Dods
Department of Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Environ Toxicol Chem 24:3106-12. 2005
- Serum organochlorines and urinary porphyrin pattern in a population highly exposed to hexachlorobenzene
Respiratory and Environmental Research Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Health 1:1. 2002
..We aimed at analysing the association of individual urinary porphyrins with the serum concentrations of HCB and other organochlorine compounds in this highly exposed population...
- Inter-population variations in concentrations, determinants of and correlations between 2,2',4,4',5,5'-hexachlorobiphenyl (CB-153) and 1,1-dichloro-2,2-bis (p-chlorophenyl)-ethylene (p,p'-DDE): a cross-sectional study of 3161 men and women from Inuit and
Bo A G Jonsson
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Environ Health 4:27. 2005
- Fertility in four regions spanning large contrasts in serum levels of widespread persistent organochlorines: a cross-sectional study
Department of Occupational Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, Build, 2C, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Environ Health 4:26. 2005
..Persistent organochlorine pollutants (POPs) may interfere with reproductive function but direct evidence in humans is very limited...
- Occupational exposure to organochlorine insecticides and cancer incidence in the Agricultural Health Study
Mark P Purdue
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Int J Cancer 120:642-9. 2007
- Organochlorine exposures during pregnancy and infant size at birth
Sharon K Sagiv
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Epidemiology 18:120-9. 2007
..Organochlorines, including polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and pesticides, are environmentally persistent contaminants that concentrate in the food chain as well in human adipose tissue and readily cross the placenta...
- Exposure to organochlorine compounds and effects on ovarian function
Gayle C Windham
Environmental Health Investigations Branch, Department of Health Services, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Epidemiology 16:182-90. 2005
..Some chemicals appear to have hormonally active properties in animals, but data in humans are sparse. Therefore, we examined ovarian function in relation to organochlorine compound levels...
- Organochlorines and breast cancer risk
Eugenia E Calle
American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 52:301-9. 2002
..Women concerned about possible organochlorine exposure can be reassured that available evidence does not suggest an association between these chemicals and breast cancer...
- Exposure of women to organochlorine pesticides in Southern Spain
Laboratory of Medical Investigations, Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, Hospital Clinico, University of Granada, 18071 Granada, Spain
Environ Res 96:34-40. 2004
..Because many of these chemicals can mobilize during pregnancy and lactation, further research is warranted to interpret the health consequences for the children of such exposure...
- Elemental and organochlorine residues in bald eagles from Adak Island, Alaska
Jordan H Stout
U S Fish and Wildlife Service, Ecological Services, Anchorage Field Office, 605 West 4th Avenue, Room G 61, Anchorage, Alaska 99501, USA
J Wildl Dis 38:511-7. 2002
..Furthermore, although mean polychlorinated biphenyl and pp'-dichlorodiphenyldichloroethylene concentrations were below acute toxic thresholds, they were surprisingly high given Adak Island's remote location...
- Levels of persistent organochlorine contaminants in fish from Korea and their potential health risk
U H Yim
Southern Coastal Environment Research Division, Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute, 391 Jangmok ri, Jangmok myon, Geoje shi, 656 834, Korea
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 48:358-66. 2005
..04 ng/g based on total PCBs), but the other compounds were mostly below SV values. Based on the estimated SVs, PCB compounds were identified as potential chemicals of concern...
- Determinants of serum concentrations of organochlorine compounds in Swedish pregnant women: a cross-sectional study
Swedish National Food Administration, Uppsala, Sweden
Environ Health 6:2. 2007
- Host and environmental determinants of polychlorinated aromatic hydrocarbons in serum of adolescents
Tim S Nawrot
Studiecoördinatiecentrum, Hypertensie en Cardiovasculaire Revalidatie Eenheid, Departement Moleculair en Cardiovasculair Onderzoek, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculteit Geneeskunde, Leuven, Belgium
Environ Health Perspect 110:583-9. 2002
- Factors predicting organochlorine pesticide levels in pregnant Latina women living in a United States agricultural area
A S A Bradman
Center for Children s Environmental Health Research, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7380, USA
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 17:388-99. 2007
..Although the weight of evidence from this study indicates that most exposure occurred before moving to the United States, the results for HCB indicate the possibility of ongoing exposure in this country...
- PCBs and organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) in edible fish and shellfish from China
Department of Environment Conservation, Ehime University, Tarumi 3 5 7, Matsuyama 790 8566, Japan
Chemosphere 63:1342-52. 2006
..9 ng/g on wet weight basis, respectively. The daily intake of PCBs and organochlorine pesticides ingested by people living in these cities in China through fish and shellfish was estimated and compared with those observed in other areas...
- Distribution of persistent organochlorine contaminants in infertile patients from Tanzania and Germany
Jürgen M Weiss
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Clinic Luebeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23538, Luebeck, Germany
J Assist Reprod Genet 23:393-9. 2006
..To test whether environmental pollutants could affect fertility in humans...
- The association between organochlorine and thyroid hormone levels in cord serum: a study from northern Thailand
Environmental Science Ph.D. Program, Faculty of Science, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Environ Int 32:554-9. 2006
..76, P = 0.019). These results therefore suggest that exposure to DDT and its metabolites during fetal development may cause some effects on thyroid hormonal status in infants...
- Epidemiological evidence on reproductive effects of persistent organochlorines in humans
Department of Occupational Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, Build 2C, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Reprod Toxicol 19:5-26. 2004
..Due to inherent methodological problems in several of the available studies, additional research is needed to fully elucidate the possible adverse effects of organochlorines on human reproductive health...
- Distribution of polychlorinated biphenyls, organochlorine pesticides and polybrominated diphenyl ethers in human umbilical cord serum, maternal serum and milk from Wielkopolska region, Poland
Department of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry, , 6 Grunwaldzka St, 60-780 Pozna, Poland
Sci Total Environ 372:20-31. 2006
..4), with BDE 47 being always the most abundant PBDE congener and, together with BDE 153, being present in all samples. In general, results found in the investigated group are at the low end of the concentration range measured in Europe...
- A cross-sectional study of the association between persistent organochlorine pollutants and diabetes
Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine and Psychiatric Epidemiology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Environ Health 4:28. 2005
..We have assessed the association between serum levels of POPs and prevalence of diabetes in Swedish fishermen and their wives, with high consumption of fatty fish from the Baltic Sea...
- Predictors of organochlorines in New York City pregnant women, 1998-2001
Mary S Wolff
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustave Levy Pl, Box 1057, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
Environ Res 97:170-7. 2005
..In multivariate models, levels of OCs increased with age; DDE was higher in women not born in the US or Puerto Rico; PCB were higher in women who bought fresh fish and lower in those with higher body mass indices...
- Smoking as a determinant of high organochlorine levels in Greenland
Centre of Arctic Environmental Medicine, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Arch Environ Health 58:30-6. 2003
..These findings confirm that the source of POPs among the Inuit in Greenland is diet, but smoking is an important determinant of POP bioaccumulation. Smoking cessation may provide a means to lower the body burden of POPs...
- A proportionate cancer morbidity ratio study of workers exposed to chlorinated organic solvents in Taiwan
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, 161 Ming-Chun East Road, Sec. 6, Nei-Hu, Taipei, Taiwan, 114, ROC
Ind Health 41:77-87. 2003
..Since this association has never been reported in the previous studies, further study is needed to clarify the association...
- Incidence of hospitalized osteoporotic fractures in cohorts with high dietary intake of persistent organochlorine compounds
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University Hospital, 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 76:246-8. 2003
..To clarify this, detailed individual information on exposure and potential confounders has to be ascertained...
- Organochlorine compounds and concentrations of thyroid stimulating hormone in newborns
Respiratory and Environmental Health Research Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Barcelona, Spain
Occup Environ Med 60:301-3. 2003
..To assess the association between prenatal exposure to organochlorine compounds and thyroid status in newborns from an area with high levels of hexachlorobenzene (HCB)...
- Semen quality and exposure to persistent organochlorine pollutants
Department of Occupational Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Epidemiology 17:450-8. 2006
..The majority of studies have been conducted among selected populations of infertility clients or among occupational cohorts including a limited number of participants...
- Investigation of organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) in mollusks collected from coastal sites along the Chinese Bohai Sea from 2002 to 2004
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, P O Box 2871, 18 Shuangqing Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100085, China
Environ Pollut 146:100-6. 2007
..Principal component analysis (PCA) was also used for determining the polluting characters existing in this selected field...
- Risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and prediagnostic serum organochlorines: beta-hexachlorocyclohexane, chlordane/heptachlor-related compounds, dieldrin, and hexachlorobenzene
Kenneth P Cantor
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7240, USA
Environ Health Perspect 111:179-83. 2003
..These findings do not support the hypothesis that the organochlorine compounds included in this study are strongly linked to the development of NHL. The possibility of a weak association cannot be excluded by these data...
- Association of maternal blood pressure and hemoglobin level with organochlorines in human milk
M K J Siddiqui
Analytical Toxicology, Industrial Toxicology Research Centre, Lucknow, India
Hum Exp Toxicol 21:1-6. 2002
..05). These results highlight the need for periodic monitoring to determine organochlorine contamination in human milk and assess their impact on mother and on neonatal health...
- Thyroid toxicity due to subchronic exposure to a complex mixture of 16 organochlorines, lead, and cadmium
Michael G Wade
Growth and Development Section, Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Section, Environmental Health Directorate, Health Canada, Tunney s Pasture, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0L2
Toxicol Sci 67:207-18. 2002
..These results demonstrate that low doses of ubiquitous environmental contaminants can alter HPT physiology in sexually mature males...
- Association between serum concentrations of persistent organic pollutants and insulin resistance among nondiabetic adults: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2002
Duk Hee Lee
Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, 101 Dongin dong, Jung Gu, Daegu, Korea 700 422
Diabetes Care 30:622-8. 2007
..S population with background exposure to POPs. Here, we investigated POPs and insulin resistance, a frequent pathogenic precursor of type 2 diabetes...
- Organochlorines and polybrominated diphenyl ethers in four geographically separated populations of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
Tore Christian Svendsen
Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology, and Environmental Engineering, Aalborg University, Sohngardsholmsvej 57, DK 9000, Aalborg, Denmark
J Environ Monit 9:1213-9. 2007
..The PBDE pattern changed between locations, with a significant separation of the fish from the freshwater and marine environment when analyzed using principal component analysis...
- Exposure of Inuit in Greenland to organochlorines through the marine diet
Section for Research in Greenland, National Institute of Public Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Toxicol Environ Health A 62:69-81. 2001
..The age pattern indicates that bioaccumulation of PCB started in the 1950s, which is a likely date for the introduction of the compounds into the Arctic environment...
- Infant exposure to chemicals in breast milk in the United States: what we need to learn from a breast milk monitoring program
J S LaKind
LaKind Associates, LLC, Catonsville, Maryland 21228, USA
Environ Health Perspect 109:75-88. 2001
..A program of breast milk monitoring would serve to provide the information needed to assess infant exposures during breast-feeding and develop scientifically sound information on benefits and risks of breast-feeding in the United States...
- Polychlorinated camphenes (toxaphenes), polybrominated diphenylethers and other halogenated organic pollutants in glaucous gull (Larus hyperboreus) from Svalbard and Bjørnøya (Bear Island)
Norwegian Institute for Air Research, The Polar Environmental Centre, Hjalmar Johansen gt 14 N 9296 Tromsø, Norway
Environ Pollut 121:293-300. 2003
..Concentrations of toxaphenes and PBDEs were up to 100-times lower than the concentrations of PCB and some of the pesticides. PCB and p,p/-DDE constituted 90% of the contaminants found...
- Organochlorines and endometrial cancer risk
Department of Medical Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 9:487-93. 2000
..1 (95% confidence interval, 0.6-2.2; P for trend, 0.90). Our data do not support the hypothesis that the organochlorine exposure studied increases the risk for endometrial cancer...
- Prevalence of self-reported diabetes and exposure to organochlorine pesticides among Mexican Americans: Hispanic health and nutrition examination survey, 1982-1984
Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Environ Health Perspect 115:1747-52. 2007
..Higher serum levels of organochlorine pesticides in Mexican Americans have been reported. Few studies have explored the association between pesticide exposure and diabetes...
- Organochlorines and heavy metals in pregnant women from the Disko Bay area in Greenland
National Institute of Public Health, Section for Research in Greenland, Copenhagen, Denmark
Sci Total Environ 245:195-202. 2000
..The contaminants are potentially toxic for several organ systems but the high concentrations of pollutants have so far not been shown to influence health in Greenland...
- Thyroid hormones in pregnancy in relation to environmental exposure to organochlorine compounds and mercury
Laboratoire de Physiologie materno-foetale, , , Quebec, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 113:1039-45. 2005
..Cord serum free thyroxin was negatively correlated with inorganic Hg. These results suggest that at even low levels of exposure, persistent environmental contaminants can interfere with thyroid status during pregnancy...
- Plasma organochlorine levels and subsequent risk of breast cancer among Japanese women: a nested case-control study
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo, 104 0045, Japan
Sci Total Environ 402:176-83. 2008
..Our data do not support the hypothesis that plasma levels of p,p'-DDT, p,p'-DDE, HCB, and beta-HCH are associated with an overall increased risk of breast cancer among Japanese women...
- Serum organochlorine pesticide residues and risk of testicular germ cell carcinoma: a population-based case-control study
Mary L Biggs
Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Box 354922, Seattle, WA 98195 4922, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:2012-8. 2008
..Due to uncertainty regarding how well organochlorine levels measured in adulthood reflect exposures during early life, further research is needed using exposure measurements collected in utero or during infancy...
- Changes in maternal serum chlorinated pesticide concentrations across critical windows of human reproduction and development
Michael S Bloom
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University at Albany, State University of New York, One University Place, Rm 153, Rensselaer, NY 12144, USA
Environ Res 109:93-100. 2009
..This underscores the importance of timing biospecimen collection to critical windows for development in the assessment of reproductive and/or developmental effects...
- Serum levels of several organochlorine pesticides in farmers correspond with dietary exposure and local use history
J W Brock
National Center for Environmental Health NCEH, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Toxicol Ind Health 14:275-89. 1998
..Previous reported use of chlordane on the North Carolina farms corresponded with measurable dietary levels of chlordance and higher serum trans-nonachlor levels than the levels in Iowa farm families...
- Interactions of persistent environmental organohalogens with the thyroid hormone system: mechanisms and possible consequences for animal and human health
Department of Toxicology, Wageningen Agricultural University, The Netherlands
Toxicol Ind Health 14:59-84. 1998
- Serum organochlorines and breast cancer risk in Japanese women: a case-control study
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
Cancer Causes Control 20:567-80. 2009
..Here, we examined these associations in Japanese women in the largest study in Asian women to date...
- Prenatal organochlorine pesticides in placentas from Finland: exposure of male infants born during 1997-2001
Placenta 26:512-4. 2005
- Concentrations of environmental chemicals associated with neurodevelopmental effects in U.S. population
Larry L Needham
Organic Analytical Toxicology Branch, Mailstop F17, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
Neurotoxicology 26:531-45. 2005
..S. population. These data will continue to be collected in 2-year cycles and thus allow changes in human levels to be followed...
- Human health risk assessment of organochlorines associated with fish consumption in a coastal city in China
Q T Jiang
Department of Biology and Chemistry, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Environ Pollut 136:155-65. 2005
..The hazard ratios (HRs), based on non-cancer endpoints were all less than 1.0, while the HRs based on cancer were greater than 1.0 for certain contaminants based on the 95th centile concentration in fish tissue...
- Chronic toxicity of a mixture of chlorinated alkanes and alkenes in ICR mice
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Agriculture, National Taiwan University, Taipei
J Toxicol Environ Health A 65:279-91. 2002
..This study has demonstrated that the CA mixture is a potential carcinogen to male and female mice. These animal toxicology data may be important in assessing the health effects of individuals exposed to the CA mixture...
- Health risk assessment on residents exposed to chlorinated hydrocarbons contaminated in groundwater of a hazardous waste site
Lukas Jyuhn-Hsiarn Lee
Institute of Occupational Medicine and Industrial Hygiene, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei
J Toxicol Environ Health A 65:219-35. 2002
..measured contaminant levels and exposure parameters to perform health risk assessment on seven chlorinated hydrocarbons. We measured groundwater concentrations of vinyl chloride, tetrachloroethylene, trichloroethylene, 1,1-..
- Serum polychlorinated biphenyl and organochlorine insecticide concentrations in a Faroese birth cohort
Dana B Barr
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway, Mailstop F17, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Chemosphere 62:1167-82. 2006
- Organochlorine pesticides in seafood products from southern China and health risk assessment
Jian yang Guo
State Key Laboratory of Organic Geochemistry, Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou 510640, China
Environ Toxicol Chem 26:1109-15. 2007
..Therefore, continual monitoring of OCPs in various environment compartments, including biota and abiota, urgently is needed to mitigate effectively the impact of OCPs, particularly DDTs, on human health and the ecological environment...
- In utero and lactational exposure to an environmentally relevant organochlorine mixture disrupts reproductive development and function in male rats
Mohamed-Kheir Idris Anas
Centre de Recherche en Biologie de la Reproduction, , , , Canada G1K 7P4
Biol Reprod 73:414-26. 2005
- Organochlorines in carpet dust and non-Hodgkin lymphoma
Joanne S Colt
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20852, USA
Epidemiology 16:516-25. 2005
..The incidence of non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) has risen over the past several decades. Reasons for this increase are largely unexplained...
- Evaluation of Mexican American migrant farmworker work practices and organochlorine pesticide metabolites
M A Hernández-Valero
Department of Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Ind Med 40:554-60. 2001
..Epidemiologic studies often must rely upon questionnaire data to assess past exposures. The ability of questionnaires to rank migrant farmworkers according to past pesticide exposure is not known...
- Organochlorine exposures influence on breast cancer risk and survival according to estrogen receptor status: a Danish cohort-nested case-control study
A P Høyer
The Copenhagen Center for Prospective Population Studies, Harsdorffsvej 1B, 2tv, DK 1874 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
BMC Cancer 1:8. 2001
..As estrogen receptor positive and negative breast cancer may represent different entities of the disease, this study was undertaken to evaluate organochlorines influence on breast cancer risk and survival according to receptor status...
- Environmental and lifestyle factors for organochlorine exposure among women living in Southern Spain
Laboratory of Medical Investigations, School of Medicine, University of Granada, Hospital Clinico, 18071 Granada, Spain
Chemosphere 62:1917-24. 2006
..Research is required on women occupationally exposed to a selected group of organochlorine pesticides, especially those of reproductive age, as a basis for preventive action...
- Associations between serum levels of selected organochlorine compounds and endometriosis in infertile Japanese women
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center Tsukiji, Tokyo, Japan
Environ Res 99:118-25. 2005
..06). The results of this study provide some evidence that serum levels of these organochlorine compounds are not associated with an increased risk of endometriosis in infertile Japanese women...
- Organohalogen chemicals in human blood from the United Kingdom
Gareth O Thomas
Department of Environmental Sciences, IENS, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YQ, UK
Environ Pollut 141:30-41. 2006
..There is increasing regulation to control persistent and bioaccumulative chemicals, and establishing human exposure will help to identify substances which should be urgently phased out...
- Distribution and fate of persistent organochlorine pesticides in coastal marine environment of Mumbai
G G Pandit
Environmental Assessment Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Trombay, Mumbai 400 085, India
Environ Int 32:240-3. 2006
..The alpha-HCH is found to be more dominant in fish samples whereas the gamma-HCH is major contributor in the sediment samples...
- Characterization of trace organic contaminants in marine sediment from Yeongil Bay, Korea: 1. Instrumental analyses
School of Earth and Environmental Sciences (Oceanography, College of Natural Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul 151-742, Korea
Environ Pollut 142:39-47. 2006
..Concentrations of PCBs and PAHs were great near shipyards and industrial complexes. Vertical profiles of PAHs and APs indicated that they have been associated with sediments since the 1950s...
- Brominated flame retardants and organochlorine pollutants in aquatic and terrestrial predatory birds of Belgium: levels, patterns, tissue distribution and condition factors
V L B Jaspers
Department of Biology, University of Antwerp, Campus Drie Eiken, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
Environ Pollut 139:340-52. 2006
..BDE 183 and BDE 209 were only measured in the terrestrial birds. These results indicate that terrestrial birds may be more exposed to higher brominated BDE congeners than aquatic species...
- Levels of organochlorine compounds in bivalves from the Japanese coastal waters: results from the environmental specimen bank in Japan
National Institute for Environmental Studies, 16-2 Onogawa, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8506, Japan
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 75:561-8. 2005
- Field validation of antioxidant enzyme biomarkers in mussels (Perna viridis) and clams (Ruditapes philippinarum) transplanted in Hong Kong coastal waters
Sharon B De Luca-Abbott
Department of Biology and Chemistry, City University of Hong Kong, 83 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Mar Pollut Bull 51:694-707. 2005
..Multivariate statistical techniques indicated little relationship between the site patterns for antioxidant responses and the contaminant gradients identified in body burden analysis...
- Levels and distribution of organochlorine pesticides, polychlorinated biphenyls and polybrominated diphenyl ethers in sediments and biota from the Danube Delta, Romania
Toxicological Centre, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
Environ Pollut 140:136-49. 2006
- California sea lions (Zalophus californianus californianus) have lower chlorinated hydrocarbon contents in northern Baja California, MÃ©xico, than in California, USA
Ligeia Del Toro
, Facultad de Ciencias Marinas, Ensenada, Baja California,
Environ Pollut 142:83-92. 2006
b>Chlorinated hydrocarbons (CHs) were determined in blubber samples of 18 California sea lions (Zalophus californianus californianus) that stranded dead along Todos Santos Bay, Ensenada, Baja California, MÃ©xico, January 2000-November ..
- Organochlorine residues in fish and water samples from lake victoria, Uganda
G N Kasozi
Soil and Water Science Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 326111-0290, USA
J Environ Qual 35:584-9. 2006
..S. FDA, Australian, and German extraneous residue limits and maximum residue limits. The concentration of organochlorine residues in surface water within the Napoleon Gulf of Lake Victoria was below detection limit (0.1 microg L(-1))...
- A preliminary risk assessment of organochlorines accumulated in fish to the Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin (Sousa chinensis) in the Northwestern waters of Hong Kong
C L H Hung
Centre for Coastal Pollution and Conservation, Department of Biology and Chemistry, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Environ Pollut 144:190-6. 2006
..The HCHs, total PCBs and heptachlor had comparatively high RQs and thus they should also be the priority organochlorines that would require further investigation...
- Assessment of the Mediterranean sediments contamination by persistent organic pollutants
Anna Gómez Gutiérrez
Department of Environmental Chemistry I I Q A B C S I C, Jordi Girona 18 26, E 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Environ Pollut 148:396-408. 2007
..Finally, some gaps in reliable data were also identified which were related to the lack of information in the southern and eastern parts of the Mediterranean as well as the variety of analytical methodologies used...
- Relationships between pesticides and organic carbon fractions in sediments of the Danshui River estuary and adjacent coastal areas of Taiwan
Chin Chang Hung
Institute of Marine Environmental Chemistry and Ecology, National Taiwan Ocean University, 2 Pei Ning Road, Keelung 202, Taiwan, ROC
Environ Pollut 148:546-54. 2007
- Organochlorine pesticides and polychlorinated biphenyls in surface soils of Novi Sad and bank sediment of the Danube River
Faculty of Technology, University of Novi Sad, Novi Sad, Serbia
J Environ Sci Health B 42:311-9. 2007
..Also, correlation between the levels of certain pesticides and soil characteristics (organic matter, pH and clay content) was investigated...
- Screening ecological risk assessment of persistent organic pollutants in Mediterranean sea sediments
Anna Gómez Gutiérrez
Department of Environmental Chemistry IIQAB CSIC, Jordi Girona 18 26, E 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Environ Int 33:867-76. 2007
- [Occurrence of dissolved polychlorinated biphenyls and organic chlorinated pesticides in the surface water of Haihe River and Bohai ay, China]
POPs Research Centre, Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Huan Jing Ke Xue 28:730-5. 2007
..The levels of PCBs and OCPs in Haihe River in this study are quite higher than the similar surface waters in China, while the levels in Bohai Bay are quite consistent with similar waters abroad...
- Penguin colonies as secondary sources of contamination with persistent organic pollutants
Toxicological Centre, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, B 2610, Wilrijk, Belgium
J Environ Monit 9:822-5. 2007
..This profile of PCB congeners closely matched profiles seen in penguin eggs or penguin blood...
- Assessment of sediment contamination in Casco Bay, Maine, USA
Terry L Wade
Geochemical and Environmental Research Group, Texas A and M University, 833 Graham Road, College Station, TX 77845, USA
Environ Pollut 152:505-21. 2008
..Most contaminants were not found at concentrations expected to adversely affect sediment biota based on ERL/ERM guidelines...
- Persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in Caspian seals of unusual mortality event during 2000 and 2001
Center for Marine Environmental Studies, Ehime University, 2 5 Bunkyo cho, Matsuyama 790 8577, Japan
Environ Pollut 152:431-42. 2008
..The levels of PCBs and pesticides in Caspian seals, however, comparable to those in other aquatic mammals that have suffered from epizootics, might pose a risk of immunosuppression...
- Contamination profiles of heavy metals, organochlorine pesticides, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and alkylphenols in sediment and oyster collected from marsh/estuarine Savannah GA, USA
Kurunthachalam Senthil Kumar
Department of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Savannah State University, 3219 College Street, P.O. Box 20600, Savannah, GA 31404, USA
Mar Pollut Bull 56:136-49. 2008
- Organochlorine residuals in groundwater of Pondicherry region
M A Sivasankaran
Department of Civil Engineering, Pondicherry Engineering College, Pondicherry
J Environ Sci Eng 49:7-12. 2007
..Though the residual levels of pesticides in the study area were well below the acute toxicological problems, the major concern is for long term, chronic exposure from compounds that may be carcinogenic...
- Leaf-air transfer of organochlorine pesticides from three selected vegetables
State Key Laboratory of Soil and Sustainable Agriculture, Institute of Soil Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 71 East Beijing Road, Nanjing 210008, China
Environ Pollut 148:555-61. 2007
..Our work provided insight into the behavior of OCPs in the agroecosystem...
- Spatial distribution and accumulation of brominated flame retardants, polychlorinated biphenyls and organochlorine pesticides in blue mussels (Mytilus edulis) from coastal waters of Korea
Center for Marine Environmental Studies CMES, Ehime University, Matsuyama 790 8577, Japan
Environ Pollut 148:562-9. 2007
..For all the compounds, higher concentrations were found in mussels from southeastern coast of Korea. The present study shows the importance of mussels as bioindicators for monitoring contaminants in coastal waters...
- Quantification of low levels of organochlorine pesticides using small volumes (<or=100 microl) of plasma of wild birds through gas chromatography negative chemical ionization mass spectrometry
Laura B Rivera-Rodríguez
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas del Noroeste, S C, Environmental Planning and Conservation Program, Mar Bermejo no 195, Col Playa Palo de Santa Rita, Ado Postal 128, La Paz, BCS 23090, Mexico
Environ Pollut 148:654-62. 2007
..9 pg/microl for some OC pesticides. All levels in the food web in and around cultivated areas showed the presence of pesticides notwithstanding the small areas for agriculture existing in the desert of Baja California peninsula...
- Distribution of organochlorine pesticides in surface water and sediments from Qiantang River, East China
Department of Environmental Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310028, China
J Hazard Mater 137:68-75. 2006
..The notable contamination was found in Fuchun reservoir. Composition analyses in sediments indicated a recent usage or discharge of lindane into the river...
- A survey and measurement of residues of lindane (organochlorine pesticides) in four species of the most consumed fish in the Caspian Sea (Iran)
A G Ebadi
Department of Biology, Islamic Azad University of Sari, Sari Branch, Iran
Toxicol Ind Health 22:53-8. 2006
..05). However, the concentrations of lindane residues in the muscle were found to be less than the FAO/WHO (1993) recommended permissible intake and should not be of public concern in Mazandaran province...
- Comparison of PCBs, organochlorine pesticides, and trace metals in cod liver from Georges Bank and Stellwagen Bank, USA and Canada
Mar Pollut Bull 52:591-7. 2006
- Accumulation of PCBs and organochlorine pesticides in river-caught European river lamprey (Lampetra fluviatillis) in Finland
Department of Food and Environmental Hygiene, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Post Office Box 66, FIN-00014 Helsinki University, Finland
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 76:497-504. 2006
- [Residues and distribution character of organochlorine pesticides in stream sediments in southwestern suburb of Nanjing]
Institute of Soil Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Nanjing 210008, China
Huan Jing Ke Xue 27:737-41. 2006
..Meanwhile, sedimentation of soil in streams could reduce OCPs input to the Yangtze River...
- Non-destructive pollution exposure assessment in the European hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus): IV. Hair versus soil analysis in exposure and risk assessment of organochlorine compounds
Department of Biology, Ecophysiology, Biochemistry and Toxicology Group, University of Antwerp, Groenenborgerlaan 171, B 2020 Antwerp, Belgium
Environ Pollut 145:861-8. 2007
- Temporal bioavailability of organochlorine pesticides and PCBs
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology and Food Safety and Environmental Stewardship Program, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:3689-95. 2006
- The occurrence of organochlorines in marine avian top predators along a latitudinal gradient
Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Unit for Arctic Ecology, The Polar Environmental Centre, Troms, Norway
Environ Sci Technol 40:5139-46. 2006
- Persistent chlordane concentrations in Long Island Sound sediment: implications from chlordane, 210Pb, and 137Cs profiles
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, City College of New York, CUNY, New York, New York 10031, USA
Environ Sci Technol 41:7723-9. 2007
..S. Continued chlordane input and significant sediment mixing may have contributed to the persistent chlordane concentrations in surficial sediment, which poses long-term threats to benthic organisms in LIS...
- Use of the Nile monitor, Varanus niloticus L (Reptilia: Varanidae), as a bioindicator of organochlorine pollution in African wetlands
P J Berny
Laboratory of Diagnostic Toxicology, , 1 avenue Bourgelat, B.P. 83, Marcy-l'Etoile, France, F-69280
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 77:359-66. 2006
- Gridded inventories of historical usage for selected organochlorine pesticides in Heilongjiang River Basin, China
School of Municipal and Environmental Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harhin, China
J Environ Sci (China) 18:822-6. 2006
..Data of usage and soil concentrations of sigma HCH in HRB match quite well to those in Shanghai region, and much higher soil concentration of sigma DDT in Shanghai region could be due to much heavier dicofol use in this region...
- Assessment of the environmental and physiological processes determining the accumulation of organochlorine compounds in European mountain lake fish through multivariate analysis (PCA and PLS)
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IIQAB CSIC, C Jordi Girona 18 26, E 08034, Barcelona, Spain
Sci Total Environ 404:148-61. 2008
..PLS models confirmed that temperature and altitude were the main factors influencing the accumulation of most organochlorine compounds in the lipids of the fish tissue...
- Organochlorine pesticide and trace metal monitoring of Russian rivers flowing to the Arctic Ocean: 1990-1996
L B Alexeeva
Department of Environmental Monitoring and Pollution, SPA Typhoon, Institute of Experimental Meteorology, Obninsk, Russia
Mar Pollut Bull 43:71-85. 2001
..Ni was monitored at too few rivers to estimate its total Russian flux. The fluxes for the HCHs considerably exceed previous estimates and indicate that the Arctic Ocean is not in balance as much as was previously believed...
- Distribution, fate and effects of pesticide residues in tropical coastal lagoons of northwestern Mexico
F P Carvalho
International Atomic Energy Agency, Marine Environment Laboratory, BP 800, MC98012 Monaco
Environ Technol 23:1257-70. 2002
..Environmental management aims to preserve the ecosystem integrity of these coastal lagoons and, through improving the water quality, to allow the development of aquaculture and reduce human exposure to pesticide residues in food...
- Accumulation features of organochlorine pesticides residues in soils around Beijing Guanting reservoir
Research Center for Eco-Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Post Office Box 2871, Beijing 10085, People's Republic of China
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 72:954-61. 2004