- A strong dose-response relation between serum concentrations of persistent organic pollutants and diabetes: results from the National Health and Examination Survey 1999-2002
Duk Hee Lee
Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Kyungpook University, 101 Dongin dong, Jung Gu, Daegu, Korea 700 422
Diabetes Care 29:1638-44. 2006
..Low-level exposure to some persistent organic pollutants (POPs) has recently become a focus because of their possible link with the risk of diabetes...
- Increased plasma levels of toxic pollutants accompanying weight loss induced by hypocaloric diet or by bariatric surgery
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Obes Surg 16:1145-54. 2006
- Association between serum concentrations of persistent organic pollutants and insulin resistance among nondiabetic adults: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2002
Duk Hee Lee
Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, 101 Dongin dong, Jung Gu, Daegu, Korea 700 422
Diabetes Care 30:622-8. 2007
..S population with background exposure to POPs. Here, we investigated POPs and insulin resistance, a frequent pathogenic precursor of type 2 diabetes...
- Geographical distribution of organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) in polar bears (Ursus maritimus) in the Norwegian and Russian Arctic
National Veterinary Institute, PO Box 8156 Dep, Oslo N 0033, Norway
Sci Total Environ 306:159-70. 2003
..This may imply the presence of a significant pollution source in the Russian Arctic area. The study suggests that the western Russian Arctic is the most contaminated region of the Arctic and warrants further research...
- Environmental and lifestyle factors for organochlorine exposure among women living in Southern Spain
Laboratory of Medical Investigations, School of Medicine, University of Granada, Hospital Clinico, 18071 Granada, Spain
Chemosphere 62:1917-24. 2006
..Research is required on women occupationally exposed to a selected group of organochlorine pesticides, especially those of reproductive age, as a basis for preventive action...
- Plasma organochlorine concentrations in endurance athletes and obese individuals
Physical Activity Sciences Laboratory and Division of Kinesiology, PEPS and Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Laval University, Ste Foy Québec, Canada
Med Sci Sports Exerc 34:1971-5. 2002
..Their plasma concentrations were compared in three groups of individuals with different body fatness characteristics: endurance athletes, lean sedentary subjects, and obese individuals...
- Burden of organochlorine pesticides in blood and its effect on thyroid hormones in women
Department of Zoology, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India
Sci Total Environ 295:207-15. 2002
..The correlation analysis for dieldrin and depleted T4 levels in hypothyroid women elicited an inverse relationship between them...
- Kinetic models for volatile chlorinated hydrocarbons removal by zero-valent iron
Department of Water Technology and Environmental Engineering, Institute of Chemical Technology Prague, Technicka 5, CZ 166 28 Prague 6, Czech Republic
Chemosphere 54:917-25. 2004
..Regression analysis proved, that the first-order kinetic is not suitable for the modelling of chlorinated hydrocarbons dechlorination...
- Prenatal organochlorine pesticides in placentas from Finland: exposure of male infants born during 1997-2001
Placenta 26:512-4. 2005
- Body burdens and tissue concentrations of organochlorines in polar bears (Ursus maritimus) vary during seasonal fasts
S C Polischu
Office of the Vice President Research, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
Environ Pollut 118:29-39. 2002
..Since developing young may be susceptible to the effects of environmental contaminants, the increased exposure of nursing cubs to OCs during a fast by their mothers is noteworthy...
- Strategies for the aerobic co-metabolism of chlorinated solvents
Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Oregon State University, Corvallis 97331 2302, USA
Curr Opin Biotechnol 8:296-308. 1997
..Many factors can enhance co-metabolic transformations, such as nutrients and available energy sources...
- Photodegradation of chlorinated hydrocarbons in the presence and absence of dissolved oxygen in water
Water Pollution Section, Toyama Prefectural Environmental Science Research Center, Kosugi, Imizu gun, Toyama 939 0363, Japan
Water Res 35:1941-50. 2001
The photodegradation rates of seven chlorinated hydrocarbons; C2Cl4, C2HCl3, C2H4Cl2, 1,1,1-C2H3Cl3, 1,1,2-C2H3Cl3, CHCl3, CCl4 were investigated under the UV bandwidths of 185 and 254 nm in the presence and absence of dissolved oxygen (..
- Serum organochlorine levels and history of lactation in Egypt
Amr S Soliman
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Box 189 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Environ Res 92:110-7. 2003
..Organochlorine serum level was not a risk factor of breast cancer in this population...
- Health of tree swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) nestlings exposed to chlorinated hydrocarbons in the St Lawrence River basin. Part I. Renal and hepatic vitamin A concentrations
Department of Biology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Toxicol Environ Health A 66:1053-72. 2003
..Lower circulating levels and higher tissue concentrations of retinoids may result in compromised immune function and reduced reproductive success in adult birds...
- Organochlorine exposure and incidence of diabetes in a cohort of Great Lakes sport fish consumers
Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:1076-82. 2009
..Prospective studies, however, have been lacking...
- Interactions of persistent environmental organohalogens with the thyroid hormone system: mechanisms and possible consequences for animal and human health
Department of Toxicology, Wageningen Agricultural University, The Netherlands
Toxicol Ind Health 14:59-84. 1998
- Global assessment of organic contaminants in farmed salmon
Ronald A Hites
School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Science 303:226-9. 2004
..Risk analysis indicates that consumption of farmed Atlantic salmon may pose health risks that detract from the beneficial effects of fish consumption...
- Organochlorines, p53 mutations in relation to breast cancer risk and survival. A Danish cohort-nested case-controls study
Annette Pernille Høyer
The Copenhagen Center for Prospective Population Studies, Denmark
Breast Cancer Res Treat 71:59-65. 2002
..These preliminary results suggest that p53 mutations may have a modifying effect on at least the breast cancer risk associated with exposures to organochlorines...
- Toxicity of trans-nonachlor to Sprague-Dawley rats in a 90-day feeding study
Toxicology Research Division, Food Directorate, Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0L2
Food Chem Toxicol 42:1015-27. 2004
..Differences in target organ responses in male and female rats indicate that the sex-related metabolic differences affecting trans-nonachlor bioaccumulation and elimination merit further study...
- Carry-over of persistent organochlorine pesticides through placenta to fetus
S M Waliszewski
Instituto de Medicina Forense de la Universidad Veracruzana, Veracruz, Ver, Mexico
Salud Publica Mex 42:384-90. 2000
..To establish their distribution in the human body, the concentration gradients of organochlorine pesticides between these compartments were determined...
- Cancer incidence among workers potentially exposed to chlorinated solvents in an electronics factory
Yung Ming Chang
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, National Defense University, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Occup Health 47:171-80. 2005
..This study provides no evidence that exposure to chlorinated organic solvents at the electronics factory was associated with elevated human cancers. Dominant short-term employees may bias the cancer risk toward false positive...
- Increased mortality odds ratio of male liver cancer in a community contaminated by chlorinated hydrocarbons in groundwater
L J H Lee
Institute of Occupational Medicine and Industrial Hygiene, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Occup Environ Med 60:364-9. 2003
To investigate the association between cancer mortality risk and exposure to chlorinated hydrocarbons in groundwater of a downstream community near a contaminated site.
- Organochlorines affect the steroid hormone cortisol in free-ranging polar bears (Ursus maritimus) at Svalbard, Norway
Department of Production Animal Clinical Science, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, Oslo, Norway
J Toxicol Environ Health A 67:959-77. 2004
..Despite the complexity on stress responses and the interactions with environmental factors, this study demonstrated that high concentrations of OCs in polar bears might alter plasma cortisol concentrations...
- Risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and prediagnostic serum organochlorines: beta-hexachlorocyclohexane, chlordane/heptachlor-related compounds, dieldrin, and hexachlorobenzene
Kenneth P Cantor
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7240, USA
Environ Health Perspect 111:179-83. 2003
..These findings do not support the hypothesis that the organochlorine compounds included in this study are strongly linked to the development of NHL. The possibility of a weak association cannot be excluded by these data...
- Epidemiological evidence on reproductive effects of persistent organochlorines in humans
Department of Occupational Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, Build 2C, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Reprod Toxicol 19:5-26. 2004
..Due to inherent methodological problems in several of the available studies, additional research is needed to fully elucidate the possible adverse effects of organochlorines on human reproductive health...
- Smoking as a determinant of high organochlorine levels in Greenland
Centre of Arctic Environmental Medicine, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Arch Environ Health 58:30-6. 2003
..These findings confirm that the source of POPs among the Inuit in Greenland is diet, but smoking is an important determinant of POP bioaccumulation. Smoking cessation may provide a means to lower the body burden of POPs...
- A proportionate cancer morbidity ratio study of workers exposed to chlorinated organic solvents in Taiwan
Yung Ming Chang
Graduate Institute of Life Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, 161 Ming Chun East Road, Sec 6, Nei Hu, Taipei, Taiwan, 114, ROC
Ind Health 41:77-87. 2003
..Since this association has never been reported in the previous studies, further study is needed to clarify the association...
- Investigation of organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) in mollusks collected from coastal sites along the Chinese Bohai Sea from 2002 to 2004
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, P O Box 2871, 18 Shuangqing Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100085, China
Environ Pollut 146:100-6. 2007
..Principal component analysis (PCA) was also used for determining the polluting characters existing in this selected field...
- Incidence of hospitalized osteoporotic fractures in cohorts with high dietary intake of persistent organochlorine compounds
Ann Kathrine Alveblom
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University Hospital, 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 76:246-8. 2003
..The goal of this study was to assess whether a high dietary intake of POCs through fatty fish from the Baltic Sea may result in an increased incidence of osteoporotic fractures...
- Exposure of women to organochlorine pesticides in Southern Spain
Laboratory of Medical Investigations, Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, Hospital Clinico, University of Granada, 18071 Granada, Spain
Environ Res 96:34-40. 2004
..Because many of these chemicals can mobilize during pregnancy and lactation, further research is warranted to interpret the health consequences for the children of such exposure...
- Organochlorine pesticides in seafood products from southern China and health risk assessment
Jian yang Guo
State Key Laboratory of Organic Geochemistry, Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou 510640, China
Environ Toxicol Chem 26:1109-15. 2007
..Therefore, continual monitoring of OCPs in various environment compartments, including biota and abiota, urgently is needed to mitigate effectively the impact of OCPs, particularly DDTs, on human health and the ecological environment...
- Organochlorine compounds and concentrations of thyroid stimulating hormone in newborns
Respiratory and Environmental Health Research Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Barcelona, Spain
Occup Environ Med 60:301-3. 2003
..To assess the association between prenatal exposure to organochlorine compounds and thyroid status in newborns from an area with high levels of hexachlorobenzene (HCB)...
- Predictors of organochlorines in New York City pregnant women, 1998-2001
Mary S Wolff
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustave Levy Pl, Box 1057, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
Environ Res 97:170-7. 2005
..In multivariate models, levels of OCs increased with age; DDE was higher in women not born in the US or Puerto Rico; PCB were higher in women who bought fresh fish and lower in those with higher body mass indices...
- Determinants of serum concentrations of organochlorine compounds in Swedish pregnant women: a cross-sectional study
Swedish National Food Administration, Uppsala, Sweden
Environ Health 6:2. 2007
- Exposure to organochlorine compounds and effects on ovarian function
Gayle C Windham
Environmental Health Investigations Branch, Department of Health Services, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Epidemiology 16:182-90. 2005
..Some chemicals appear to have hormonally active properties in animals, but data in humans are sparse. Therefore, we examined ovarian function in relation to organochlorine compound levels...
- Inter-population variations in concentrations, determinants of and correlations between 2,2',4,4',5,5'-hexachlorobiphenyl (CB-153) and 1,1-dichloro-2,2-bis (p-chlorophenyl)-ethylene (p,p'-DDE): a cross-sectional study of 3161 men and women from Inuit and
Bo A G Jonsson
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Environ Health 4:27. 2005
- PCBs and organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) in edible fish and shellfish from China
Department of Environment Conservation, Ehime University, Tarumi 3 5 7, Matsuyama 790 8566, Japan
Chemosphere 63:1342-52. 2006
..9 ng/g on wet weight basis, respectively. The daily intake of PCBs and organochlorine pesticides ingested by people living in these cities in China through fish and shellfish was estimated and compared with those observed in other areas...
- A cross-sectional study of the association between persistent organochlorine pollutants and diabetes
Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine and Psychiatric Epidemiology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital, SE 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Environ Health 4:28. 2005
..We have assessed the association between serum levels of POPs and prevalence of diabetes in Swedish fishermen and their wives, with high consumption of fatty fish from the Baltic Sea...
- Reproductive success and contaminants in tree swallows (Tachycineta bicolor) breeding at a wastewater treatment plant
Patti L Dods
Department of Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Environ Toxicol Chem 24:3106-12. 2005
- The association between organochlorine and thyroid hormone levels in cord serum: a study from northern Thailand
Environmental Science Ph D Program, Faculty of Science, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Environ Int 32:554-9. 2006
..76, P = 0.019). These results therefore suggest that exposure to DDT and its metabolites during fetal development may cause some effects on thyroid hormonal status in infants...
- Factors predicting organochlorine pesticide levels in pregnant Latina women living in a United States agricultural area
A S A Bradman
Center for Children s Environmental Health Research, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7380, USA
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 17:388-99. 2007
..Although the weight of evidence from this study indicates that most exposure occurred before moving to the United States, the results for HCB indicate the possibility of ongoing exposure in this country...
- Distribution of polychlorinated biphenyls, organochlorine pesticides and polybrominated diphenyl ethers in human umbilical cord serum, maternal serum and milk from Wielkopolska region, Poland
Department of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, 6 Grunwaldzka St, 60 780 Poznan, Poland
Sci Total Environ 372:20-31. 2006
..4), with BDE 47 being always the most abundant PBDE congener and, together with BDE 153, being present in all samples. In general, results found in the investigated group are at the low end of the concentration range measured in Europe...
- Semen quality and exposure to persistent organochlorine pollutants
Department of Occupational Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Epidemiology 17:450-8. 2006
..The majority of studies have been conducted among selected populations of infertility clients or among occupational cohorts including a limited number of participants...
- Fertility in four regions spanning large contrasts in serum levels of widespread persistent organochlorines: a cross-sectional study
Department of Occupational Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade 44, Build, 2C, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Environ Health 4:26. 2005
..Persistent organochlorine pollutants (POPs) may interfere with reproductive function but direct evidence in humans is very limited...
- Occupational exposure to organochlorine insecticides and cancer incidence in the Agricultural Health Study
Mark P Purdue
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Int J Cancer 120:642-9. 2007
- Serum polychlorinated biphenyl and organochlorine insecticide concentrations in a Faroese birth cohort
Dana B Barr
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Highway, Mailstop F17, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Chemosphere 62:1167-82. 2006
- Levels of persistent organochlorine contaminants in fish from Korea and their potential health risk
U H Yim
Southern Coastal Environment Research Division, Korea Ocean Research and Development Institute, 391 Jangmok ri, Jangmok myon, Geoje shi, 656 834, Korea
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 48:358-66. 2005
..04 ng/g based on total PCBs), but the other compounds were mostly below SV values. Based on the estimated SVs, PCB compounds were identified as potential chemicals of concern...
- Human health risk assessment of organochlorines associated with fish consumption in a coastal city in China
Q T Jiang
Department of Biology and Chemistry, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Environ Pollut 136:155-65. 2005
..The hazard ratios (HRs), based on non-cancer endpoints were all less than 1.0, while the HRs based on cancer were greater than 1.0 for certain contaminants based on the 95th centile concentration in fish tissue...
- In utero and lactational exposure to an environmentally relevant organochlorine mixture disrupts reproductive development and function in male rats
Mohamed Kheir Idris Anas
Centre de Recherche en Biologie de la Reproduction, Departement de sciences animales, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada G1K 7P4
Biol Reprod 73:414-26. 2005
- Associations between serum levels of selected organochlorine compounds and endometriosis in infertile Japanese women
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center Tsukiji, Tokyo, Japan
Environ Res 99:118-25. 2005
..06). The results of this study provide some evidence that serum levels of these organochlorine compounds are not associated with an increased risk of endometriosis in infertile Japanese women...
- Organochlorines in carpet dust and non-Hodgkin lymphoma
Joanne S Colt
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20852, USA
Epidemiology 16:516-25. 2005
..The incidence of non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) has risen over the past several decades. Reasons for this increase are largely unexplained...
- Organochlorine exposures during pregnancy and infant size at birth
Sharon K Sagiv
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Epidemiology 18:120-9. 2007
..Organochlorines, including polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and pesticides, are environmentally persistent contaminants that concentrate in the food chain as well in human adipose tissue and readily cross the placenta...
- Thyroid hormones in pregnancy in relation to environmental exposure to organochlorine compounds and mercury
Laboratoire de Physiologie Materno Foetale, Universite du Quebec a Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 113:1039-45. 2005
..Cord serum free thyroxin was negatively correlated with inorganic Hg. These results suggest that at even low levels of exposure, persistent environmental contaminants can interfere with thyroid status during pregnancy...
- Concentrations of environmental chemicals associated with neurodevelopmental effects in U.S. population
Larry L Needham
Organic Analytical Toxicology Branch, Mailstop F17, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341 3724, USA
Neurotoxicology 26:531-45. 2005
..S. population. These data will continue to be collected in 2-year cycles and thus allow changes in human levels to be followed...
- Distribution of persistent organochlorine contaminants in infertile patients from Tanzania and Germany
Jürgen M Weiss
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Clinic Luebeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23538, Luebeck, Germany
J Assist Reprod Genet 23:393-9. 2006
..To test whether environmental pollutants could affect fertility in humans...
- Polychlorinated camphenes (toxaphenes), polybrominated diphenylethers and other halogenated organic pollutants in glaucous gull (Larus hyperboreus) from Svalbard and Bjørnøya (Bear Island)
Norwegian Institute for Air Research, The Polar Environmental Centre, Hjalmar Johansen gt 14 N 9296 Tromsø, Norway
Environ Pollut 121:293-300. 2003
..Concentrations of toxaphenes and PBDEs were up to 100-times lower than the concentrations of PCB and some of the pesticides. PCB and p,p/-DDE constituted 90% of the contaminants found...
- Elemental and organochlorine residues in bald eagles from Adak Island, Alaska
Jordan H Stout
U S Fish and Wildlife Service, Ecological Services, Anchorage Field Office, 605 West 4th Avenue, Room G 61, Anchorage, Alaska 99501, USA
J Wildl Dis 38:511-7. 2002
..Furthermore, although mean polychlorinated biphenyl and pp'-dichlorodiphenyldichloroethylene concentrations were below acute toxic thresholds, they were surprisingly high given Adak Island's remote location...
- Organochlorines and heavy metals in pregnant women from the Disko Bay area in Greenland
National Institute of Public Health, Section for Research in Greenland, Copenhagen, Denmark
Sci Total Environ 245:195-202. 2000
..The contaminants are potentially toxic for several organ systems but the high concentrations of pollutants have so far not been shown to influence health in Greenland...
- Organochlorines and endometrial cancer risk
Department of Medical Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 9:487-93. 2000
..1 (95% confidence interval, 0.6-2.2; P for trend, 0.90). Our data do not support the hypothesis that the organochlorine exposure studied increases the risk for endometrial cancer...
- Organochlorine exposures influence on breast cancer risk and survival according to estrogen receptor status: a Danish cohort-nested case-control study
A P Høyer
The Copenhagen Center for Prospective Population Studies, Harsdorffsvej 1B, 2tv, DK 1874 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
BMC Cancer 1:8. 2001
..As estrogen receptor positive and negative breast cancer may represent different entities of the disease, this study was undertaken to evaluate organochlorines influence on breast cancer risk and survival according to receptor status...
- Changes in maternal serum chlorinated pesticide concentrations across critical windows of human reproduction and development
Michael S Bloom
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University at Albany, State University of New York, One University Place, Rm 153, Rensselaer, NY 12144, USA
Environ Res 109:93-100. 2009
..This underscores the importance of timing biospecimen collection to critical windows for development in the assessment of reproductive and/or developmental effects...
- Organochlorines and polybrominated diphenyl ethers in four geographically separated populations of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
Tore Christian Svendsen
Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology, and Environmental Engineering, Aalborg University, Sohngardsholmsvej 57, DK 9000, Aalborg, Denmark
J Environ Monit 9:1213-9. 2007
..The PBDE pattern changed between locations, with a significant separation of the fish from the freshwater and marine environment when analyzed using principal component analysis...
- Plasma organochlorine levels and subsequent risk of breast cancer among Japanese women: a nested case-control study
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo, 104 0045, Japan
Sci Total Environ 402:176-83. 2008
..Our data do not support the hypothesis that plasma levels of p,p'-DDT, p,p'-DDE, HCB, and beta-HCH are associated with an overall increased risk of breast cancer among Japanese women...
- Exposure of Inuit in Greenland to organochlorines through the marine diet
Section for Research in Greenland, National Institute of Public Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Toxicol Environ Health A 62:69-81. 2001
..The age pattern indicates that bioaccumulation of PCB started in the 1950s, which is a likely date for the introduction of the compounds into the Arctic environment...
- Host and environmental determinants of polychlorinated aromatic hydrocarbons in serum of adolescents
Tim S Nawrot
Studiecoördinatiecentrum, Hypertensie en Cardiovasculaire Revalidatie Eenheid, Departement Moleculair en Cardiovasculair Onderzoek, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculteit Geneeskunde, Leuven, Belgium
Environ Health Perspect 110:583-9. 2002
- Association of maternal blood pressure and hemoglobin level with organochlorines in human milk
M K J Siddiqui
Analytical Toxicology, Industrial Toxicology Research Centre, Lucknow, India
Hum Exp Toxicol 21:1-6. 2002
..05). These results highlight the need for periodic monitoring to determine organochlorine contamination in human milk and assess their impact on mother and on neonatal health...
- Serum organochlorine pesticide residues and risk of testicular germ cell carcinoma: a population-based case-control study
Mary L Biggs
Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Box 354922, Seattle, WA 98195 4922, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:2012-8. 2008
..Due to uncertainty regarding how well organochlorine levels measured in adulthood reflect exposures during early life, further research is needed using exposure measurements collected in utero or during infancy...
- Thyroid toxicity due to subchronic exposure to a complex mixture of 16 organochlorines, lead, and cadmium
Michael G Wade
Growth and Development Section, Environmental and Occupational Toxicology Section, Environmental Health Directorate, Health Canada, Tunney s Pasture, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0L2
Toxicol Sci 67:207-18. 2002
..These results demonstrate that low doses of ubiquitous environmental contaminants can alter HPT physiology in sexually mature males...
- Infant exposure to chemicals in breast milk in the United States: what we need to learn from a breast milk monitoring program
J S LaKind
LaKind Associates, LLC, Catonsville, Maryland 21228, USA
Environ Health Perspect 109:75-88. 2001
..A program of breast milk monitoring would serve to provide the information needed to assess infant exposures during breast-feeding and develop scientifically sound information on benefits and risks of breast-feeding in the United States...
- Serum organochlorines and breast cancer risk in Japanese women: a case-control study
Epidemiology and Prevention Division, Research Center for Cancer Prevention and Screening, National Cancer Center, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
Cancer Causes Control 20:567-80. 2009
..Here, we examined these associations in Japanese women in the largest study in Asian women to date...
- Prevalence of self-reported diabetes and exposure to organochlorine pesticides among Mexican Americans: Hispanic health and nutrition examination survey, 1982-1984
Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Environ Health Perspect 115:1747-52. 2007
..Higher serum levels of organochlorine pesticides in Mexican Americans have been reported. Few studies have explored the association between pesticide exposure and diabetes...
- Serum organochlorines and urinary porphyrin pattern in a population highly exposed to hexachlorobenzene
Respiratory and Environmental Research Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Environ Health 1:1. 2002
..We aimed at analysing the association of individual urinary porphyrins with the serum concentrations of HCB and other organochlorine compounds in this highly exposed population...
- Health risk assessment on residents exposed to chlorinated hydrocarbons contaminated in groundwater of a hazardous waste site
Lukas Jyuhn Hsiarn Lee
Institute of Occupational Medicine and Industrial Hygiene, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei
J Toxicol Environ Health A 65:219-35. 2002
..measured contaminant levels and exposure parameters to perform health risk assessment on seven chlorinated hydrocarbons. We measured groundwater concentrations of vinyl chloride, tetrachloroethylene, trichloroethylene, 1,1-..
- Serum levels of several organochlorine pesticides in farmers correspond with dietary exposure and local use history
J W Brock
National Center for Environmental Health NCEH, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Toxicol Ind Health 14:275-89. 1998
..Previous reported use of chlordane on the North Carolina farms corresponded with measurable dietary levels of chlordance and higher serum trans-nonachlor levels than the levels in Iowa farm families...
- Evaluation of Mexican American migrant farmworker work practices and organochlorine pesticide metabolites
M A Hernández-Valero
Department of Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Ind Med 40:554-60. 2001
..Epidemiologic studies often must rely upon questionnaire data to assess past exposures. The ability of questionnaires to rank migrant farmworkers according to past pesticide exposure is not known...
- Organochlorines and breast cancer risk
Eugenia E Calle
American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 52:301-9. 2002
..Women concerned about possible organochlorine exposure can be reassured that available evidence does not suggest an association between these chemicals and breast cancer...
- Chronic toxicity of a mixture of chlorinated alkanes and alkenes in ICR mice
Fun In Wang
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Agriculture, National Taiwan University, Taipei
J Toxicol Environ Health A 65:279-91. 2002
..This study has demonstrated that the CA mixture is a potential carcinogen to male and female mice. These animal toxicology data may be important in assessing the health effects of individuals exposed to the CA mixture...
- Persistent chlordane concentrations in Long Island Sound sediment: implications from chlordane, 210Pb, and 137Cs profiles
Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, City College of New York, CUNY, New York, New York 10031, USA
Environ Sci Technol 41:7723-9. 2007
..S. Continued chlordane input and significant sediment mixing may have contributed to the persistent chlordane concentrations in surficial sediment, which poses long-term threats to benthic organisms in LIS...
- Assessment of the environmental and physiological processes determining the accumulation of organochlorine compounds in European mountain lake fish through multivariate analysis (PCA and PLS)
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IIQAB CSIC, C Jordi Girona 18 26, E 08034, Barcelona, Spain
Sci Total Environ 404:148-61. 2008
..PLS models confirmed that temperature and altitude were the main factors influencing the accumulation of most organochlorine compounds in the lipids of the fish tissue...
- Bioaccumulation studies of organochlorinated pesticides in tissues of Cyprinus carpio
National Environmental Engineering Research Institute, Nagpur, India
J Environ Sci Health B 40:397-412. 2005
..Based on actual BCF values, log Kow were calculated and the values are well within the reported values of 6.5 indicating efficient relationship between BCF and log Kow because beyond the 6.5 the bioconcentration levels off...
- Recent trends in organochlorine residues in mussels (Mytilus edulis) from the Mersey Estuary
School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, UK
Mar Environ Res 52:397-411. 2001
- Brominated flame retardants and organochlorine pollutants in aquatic and terrestrial predatory birds of Belgium: levels, patterns, tissue distribution and condition factors
V L B Jaspers
Department of Biology, University of Antwerp, Campus Drie Eiken, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
Environ Pollut 139:340-52. 2006
..BDE 183 and BDE 209 were only measured in the terrestrial birds. These results indicate that terrestrial birds may be more exposed to higher brominated BDE congeners than aquatic species...
- [Human biomonitoring investigations of organochlorine compounds -- PCB, DDE, HCB, beta- and gamma-HCH, PCDD/PCDF, Dioxin-like PCB's and polybrominated biphenyl ethers]
Landesgesundheitsamt Baden Württemberg, Stuttgart
Gesundheitswesen 67:302-11. 2005
..The difficulty to produce time series while the analyzing pollutants are more and more decreasing, as well as the change of the calculation base of the summation of parameters like I-TEQ NATO to TEQ WHO are discussed...
- Organochlorine residuals in groundwater of Pondicherry region
M A Sivasankaran
Department of Civil Engineering, Pondicherry Engineering College, Pondicherry
J Environ Sci Eng 49:7-12. 2007
..Though the residual levels of pesticides in the study area were well below the acute toxicological problems, the major concern is for long term, chronic exposure from compounds that may be carcinogenic...
- Organochlorine pesticide and trace metal monitoring of Russian rivers flowing to the Arctic Ocean: 1990-1996
L B Alexeeva
Department of Environmental Monitoring and Pollution, SPA Typhoon, Institute of Experimental Meteorology, Obninsk, Russia
Mar Pollut Bull 43:71-85. 2001
..Ni was monitored at too few rivers to estimate its total Russian flux. The fluxes for the HCHs considerably exceed previous estimates and indicate that the Arctic Ocean is not in balance as much as was previously believed...
- Contamination of persistent organic pollutants (POPs) and relevant management in China
Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100085, China
Environ Int 31:813-21. 2005
..Only some clauses mention POPs and lack pertinent, explicit statements on POP pollution and control. Legislation is urgently needed for more effective environmental management to enhance POP control...
- Non-destructive pollution exposure assessment in the European hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus): IV. Hair versus soil analysis in exposure and risk assessment of organochlorine compounds
Department of Biology, Ecophysiology, Biochemistry and Toxicology Group, University of Antwerp, Groenenborgerlaan 171, B 2020 Antwerp, Belgium
Environ Pollut 145:861-8. 2007
- Distribution and fate of persistent organochlorine pesticides in coastal marine environment of Mumbai
G G Pandit
Environmental Assessment Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Trombay, Mumbai 400 085, India
Environ Int 32:240-3. 2006
..The alpha-HCH is found to be more dominant in fish samples whereas the gamma-HCH is major contributor in the sediment samples...
- Organohalogen chemicals in human blood from the United Kingdom
Gareth O Thomas
Department of Environmental Sciences, IENS, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YQ, UK
Environ Pollut 141:30-41. 2006
..There is increasing regulation to control persistent and bioaccumulative chemicals, and establishing human exposure will help to identify substances which should be urgently phased out...
- The occurrence of organochlorines in marine avian top predators along a latitudinal gradient
Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Unit for Arctic Ecology, The Polar Environmental Centre, Tromsø, Norway
Environ Sci Technol 40:5139-46. 2006
- Temporal bioavailability of organochlorine pesticides and PCBs
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology and Food Safety and Environmental Stewardship Program, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:3689-95. 2006
- [Residues and distribution character of organochlorine pesticides in stream sediments in southwestern suburb of Nanjing]
Institute of Soil Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Nanjing 210008, China
Huan Jing Ke Xue 27:737-41. 2006
..Meanwhile, sedimentation of soil in streams could reduce OCPs input to the Yangtze River...
- Accumulation of PCBs and organochlorine pesticides in river-caught European river lamprey (Lampetra fluviatillis) in Finland
Department of Food and Environmental Hygiene, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Post Office Box 66, FIN 00014 Helsinki University, Finland
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 76:497-504. 2006
- Comparison of PCBs, organochlorine pesticides, and trace metals in cod liver from Georges Bank and Stellwagen Bank, USA and Canada
Mar Pollut Bull 52:591-7. 2006
- A survey and measurement of residues of lindane (organochlorine pesticides) in four species of the most consumed fish in the Caspian Sea (Iran)
A G Ebadi
Department of Biology, Islamic Azad University of Sari, Sari Branch, Iran
Toxicol Ind Health 22:53-8. 2006
..05). However, the concentrations of lindane residues in the muscle were found to be less than the FAO/WHO (1993) recommended permissible intake and should not be of public concern in Mazandaran province...
- Distribution of organochlorine pesticides in surface water and sediments from Qiantang River, East China
Department of Environmental Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310028, China
J Hazard Mater 137:68-75. 2006
..The notable contamination was found in Fuchun reservoir. Composition analyses in sediments indicated a recent usage or discharge of lindane into the river...
- A preliminary risk assessment of organochlorines accumulated in fish to the Indo-Pacific humpback dolphin (Sousa chinensis) in the Northwestern waters of Hong Kong
C L H Hung
Centre for Coastal Pollution and Conservation, Department of Biology and Chemistry, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Environ Pollut 144:190-6. 2006
..The HCHs, total PCBs and heptachlor had comparatively high RQs and thus they should also be the priority organochlorines that would require further investigation...
- Organochlorine residues in fish and water samples from lake victoria, Uganda
G N Kasozi
Soil and Water Science Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 326111 0290, USA
J Environ Qual 35:584-9. 2006
..S. FDA, Australian, and German extraneous residue limits and maximum residue limits. The concentration of organochlorine residues in surface water within the Napoleon Gulf of Lake Victoria was below detection limit (0.1 microg L(-1))...
- Levels of organochlorine compounds in bivalves from the Japanese coastal waters: results from the environmental specimen bank in Japan
National Institute for Environmental Studies, 16 2 Onogawa, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8506, Japan
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 75:561-8. 2005
- Gridded inventories of historical usage for selected organochlorine pesticides in Heilongjiang River Basin, China
Li yan Liu
School of Municipal and Environmental Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harhin, China
J Environ Sci (China) 18:822-6. 2006
..Data of usage and soil concentrations of sigma HCH in HRB match quite well to those in Shanghai region, and much higher soil concentration of sigma DDT in Shanghai region could be due to much heavier dicofol use in this region...
- Field validation of antioxidant enzyme biomarkers in mussels (Perna viridis) and clams (Ruditapes philippinarum) transplanted in Hong Kong coastal waters
Sharon B De Luca-Abbott
Department of Biology and Chemistry, City University of Hong Kong, 83 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Mar Pollut Bull 51:694-707. 2005
..Multivariate statistical techniques indicated little relationship between the site patterns for antioxidant responses and the contaminant gradients identified in body burden analysis...