Genomes and Genes
Summary: A second generation selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM) used to prevent osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. It has estrogen agonist effects on bone and cholesterol metabolism but behaves as a complete estrogen antagonist on mammary gland and uterine tissue.
Publications270 found, 100 shown here
- Update of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Study of Tamoxifen and Raloxifene (STAR) P-2 Trial: Preventing breast cancerVictor G Vogel
NSABP, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:696-706. 2010..The FDA approved the SERM raloxifene for breast cancer risk reduction following its demonstrated effectiveness in preventing invasive breast cancer ..
- Neuroprotective properties of 17beta-estradiol, progesterone, and raloxifene in MPTP C57Bl/6 miceS Callier
Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, and Faculty of Pharmacy, Laval University, , QC, G1K 7P4, Canada
Synapse 41:131-8. 2001..MPTP) induced dopamine depletion in striatum of C57Bl/6 mice by 17beta-estradiol, progesterone, and raloxifene, whereas 17alpha-estradiol had no effect...
- Effects of the selective estrogen receptor modulator raloxifene on coronary outcomes in the Raloxifene Use for The Heart trial: results of subgroup analyses by age and other factorsPeter Collins
Department of Cardiology, Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Trust and NHLI, Imperial College London, Sydney Street, London, UK
Circulation 119:922-30. 2009The Raloxifene Use for The Heart (RUTH) trial showed that raloxifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator, had no overall effect on the incidence of coronary events in women with established coronary heart disease or coronary heart ..
- Estradiol and raloxifene protect cultured SN4741 neurons against oxidative stressEric Biewenga
Biology Department, University of Colorado at Denver, P.O. Box 173364, Denver, CO 80217-3364, USA
Neurosci Lett 373:179-83. 2005..We used the clonal substantia nigra cell line SN4741 to compare the neuroprotective properties of estrogen and raloxifene against oxidative stress, and to determine whether raloxifene acted as an estrogen agonist or antagonist in this ..
- Effect of raloxifene on stroke and venous thromboembolism according to subgroups in postmenopausal women at increased risk of coronary heart diseaseLori Mosca
Director, Preventive Cardiology, New York Presbyterian Hospital, 601 West 168th Street, 43, New York, NY 10032, USA
Stroke 40:147-55. 2009b>Raloxifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator, reduces risk of invasive breast cancer and osteoporosis, but the effect on risk for stroke and venous thromboembolism in different patient subgroups is not established...
- Molecular determinants for the tissue specificity of SERMsYongfeng Shang
Department of Adult Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney Street, and Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 295:2465-8. 2002..The therapeutic effectiveness of SERMs such as tamoxifen and raloxifene in breast cancer depends on their antiestrogenic activity. In the uterus, however, tamoxifen is estrogenic...
- Raloxifene is not associated with biologically relevant changes in hot flushes in postmenopausal women for whom therapy is appropriateSantiago Palacios
Instituto Palacios, Madrid, Spain
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:121-31. 2004OBJECTIVES: Raloxifene is approved for the treatment and prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Previous studies have described a raloxifene-associated increase in hot flushes, reported as adverse events...
- Treatment with selective estrogen receptor modulators regulates myelin specific T-cells and suppresses experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitisBruce F Bebo
Neurological Sciences Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, Oregon, USA
Glia 57:777-90. 2009..In this study, we investigated the ability of two commercially available SERMs (tamoxifen and raloxifene) to regulate myelin specific immunity and experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) in mice...
- Effect of raloxifene after recombinant teriparatide [hPTH(1-34)] treatment in postmenopausal women with osteoporosisS Adami
Riabilitazione Reumatologica, University of Verona, Valeggio s Mincio, Verona, Italy
Osteoporos Int 19:87-94. 2008..Sequential raloxifene prevented rapid bone loss at lumbar spine and further increased bone mineral density (BMD) at femoral neck, ..
- From adjuvant therapy to breast cancer prevention: BCPT and STARB K Dunn
Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Breast J 7:144-57. 2001..b>Raloxifene, a second-generation SERM approved for the prevention of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women, displays ..
- Effect of prior and ongoing raloxifene therapy on response to PTH and maintenance of BMD after PTH therapyF Cosman
Clinical Research Center, Helen Hayes Hospital, West Haverstraw, NY 10993, USA
Osteoporos Int 19:529-35. 2008Women with osteoporosis on raloxifene were randomized to 1-34hPTH + raloxifene or raloxifene alone for one year. In the PTH + raloxifene group, bone turnover increased 125-584%, spine BMD increased 9.6%, hip BMD increased 1.2-3...
- Transition from estrogen-progestin to raloxifene in postmenopausal women: effect on vasomotor symptomsStephen Gordon
Women s Health and Internal Medicine, Comprehensive NeuroScience, Inc, 6065 Roswell, Suite 820, Atlanta, GA 30328, USA
Obstet Gynecol 103:267-73. 2004To compare vasomotor symptoms after transition from estrogen-progestin therapy to raloxifene 60 mg/d with and without a placebo washout.
- Transition from estrogen therapy to raloxifene in postmenopausal women: effects on treatment satisfaction and the endometrium-a pilot studySusan R Davis
Jean Hailes Foundation, Melbourne, Australia
Menopause 11:167-75. 2004To compare the effects of transferring from low-dose, transdermal estrogen to raloxifene with a phase of alternate-day raloxifene therapy with or without low-dose transdermal estrogen on patient satisfaction, endometrial changes, and ..
- Incidence of invasive breast cancer in postmenopausal women after discontinuation of long-term raloxifene administrationVictor G Vogel
Department of Research, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 9:45-50. 2009..women with osteoporosis had a 66% relative risk reduction for invasive breast cancer over 8 years of raloxifene therapy in the randomized, placebo-controlled 4-year MORE (Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation) trial and ..
- Raloxifene analog LY117018 enhances the regeneration of sciatic nerve in ovariectomized female miceR McMurray
Department of Physiology, The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, 600 Moye Blvd, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Brain Res 980:140-5. 2003..Our study suggests that LY117018 may markedly accelerate peripheral nerve regeneration and functional recovery through activation of estrogen receptors...
- Effects of estrogen and raloxifene on neuroglia number and morphology in the hippocampus of aged female miceD-L Lei
Laboratory of Experimental Gerontology, Gerontology Research Center, National Institute on Aging, NIH, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuroscience 121:659-66. 2003Hormone replacement therapy with the gonadal steroid estrogen or synthetic agents such as raloxifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator, may affect cellular function in brains of postmenopausal women...
- Novel biodegradable polyesters. Synthesis and application as drug carriers for the preparation of raloxifene HCl loaded nanoparticlesDimitrios Bikiaris
Laboratory of Organic Chemical Technology, Chemistry Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 541 24 Thessaloniki, Greece
Molecules 14:2410-30. 2009b>Raloxifene HCl is a drug with poor bioavailability and poor water solubility. Furthermore nomicron pharmaceutically acceptable organic solvent has been reported before to dilute the drug...
- Raloxifene enhances vertebral mechanical properties independent of bone densityMatthew R Allen
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, MS 5035, Indiana University School of Medicine, 635 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Bone 39:1130-5. 2006..10 mg/kg/day), alendronate (ALN, 0.2 mg/kg/day), raloxifene (RAL, 0.50 mg/kg/day), or saline (VEH, 1 ml/kg/day)...
- Biomedicine. Defining the "S" in SERMsBenita S Katzenellenbogen
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, University of Illinois and College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Science 295:2380-1. 2002
- Beneficial effects of raloxifene and tamoxifen in the treatment of pubertal gynecomastiaSarah E Lawrence
Department of Pediatrics, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr 145:71-6. 2004..To assess the efficacy of the anti-estrogens tamoxifen and raloxifen in the medical management of persistent pubertal gynecomastia...
- The NSABP Study of Tamoxifen and Raloxifene (STAR) trialVictor G Vogel
University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Magee Womens Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 3180, USA
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 9:51-60. 2009In the Study of Tamoxifen and Raloxifene (STAR) trial, postmenopausal women at increased risk of breast cancer received either oral tamoxifen (20 mg/day) or raloxifene (60 mg/day) over 5 years...
- Effects of raloxifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator, on bone turnover markers and serum sex steroid and lipid levels in elderly menP M Doran
Endocrine Research Unit, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Bone Miner Res 16:2118-25. 2001..years), we performed a randomized blinded study to assess the effect of 6 months of treatment with 60 mg/day of raloxifene (a selective estrogen receptor modulator [SERM] that has an agonist effect on bone but is not feminizing) versus ..
- Anti-inflammatory effect of selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) in microglial cellsT Suuronen
Department of Neuroscience and Neurology, University of Kuopio, PO Box 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Inflamm Res 54:194-203. 2005..The responses of 17beta-estradiol, tamoxifen, raloxifene and ICI 182.780 were compared. Responses were recorded by ELISA, Northern and EMSA assays...
- Raloxifene acts as an estrogen agonist on the rabbit growth plateOla Nilsson
Pediatric Endocrinology Unit, Department of Women and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, SE 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Endocrinology 144:1481-5. 2003..b>Raloxifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator, has been shown to act as an estrogen agonist on bone density but as an ..
- Tamoxifen and raloxifene suppress the proliferation of estrogen receptor-negative cells through inhibition of glutamine uptakeValentina K Todorova
Department of Surgery Breast Surgical Oncology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301W Markham St, Mail Slot 725, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 67:285-91. 2011..We hypothesized that one of the mechanisms responsible for ER-independent anti-neoplastic properties of SERMs and also for their adverse side effects could be dependent on the inhibition of Gln uptake...
- Impact of raloxifene or tamoxifen use on endometrial cancer risk: a population-based case-control studyAngela DeMichele
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:4151-9. 2008b>Raloxifene reduces breast cancer risk in women with osteoporosis, and both tamoxifen and raloxifene prevent breast cancer in high-risk women...
- Selective estrogen receptor modulators decrease reactive astrogliosis in the injured brain: effects of aging and prolonged depletion of ovarian hormonesGeorge Barreto
Instituto Cajal, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Avenida Doctor Arce 37, E 28002 Madrid, Spain
Endocrinology 150:5010-5. 2009..In this study we assessed whether raloxifene and tamoxifen, two selective estrogen receptor modulators, have effects similar to estradiol in astrocytes...
- Effects of raloxifene treatment on uterine leiomyomas in postmenopausal womenS Palomba
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Fertil Steril 76:38-43. 2001To evaluate the effects of raloxifene administration on uterine and uterine leiomyoma sizes in postmenopausal women.
- Structural modulation of reactivity/activity in design of improved benzothiophene selective estrogen receptor modulators: induction of chemopreventive mechanismsBolan Yu
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, 833 South Wood Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 6:2418-28. 2007The benzothiophene selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERM) raloxifene and arzoxifene are in clinical use and clinical trials for chemoprevention of breast cancer and other indications...
- Estrogen and raloxifene induce apoptosis by activating p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade in synthetic vascular smooth muscle cellsA Mori-Abe
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yamagata University, School of Medicine, 2-2-2 Iidanishi, Yamagata 990-9585, Japan
J Endocrinol 178:417-26. 2003..In addition, the effect of raloxifene on VSMC remains unknown...
- Estrogen receptor ligands counteract cognitive deficits caused by androgen deprivation in male ratsNatalia Lagunas
Instituto Cajal, CSIC, E 28002 Madrid, Spain
Horm Behav 59:581-4. 2011..In addition, we tested the effect of raloxifene and tamoxifen, two selective estrogen receptor modulators used in clinical practice...
- Effects of raloxifene on platelet functions in patients with postmenopausal osteoporosisDerun Taner Ertugrul
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Baskent University, Ankara, Turkey
Platelets 17:351-3. 2006Many studies have addressed the effects of estrogenic compounds on platelet function. Raloxifene is a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), which is currently used for the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis...
- Estrogen receptor-beta as a potential target for colon cancer prevention: chemoprevention of azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis by raloxifene in F344 ratsNaveena B Janakiram
Department of Medicine, Hem Onc Section, OU Cancer Institute, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, 975 Northeast 10th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2:52-9. 2009b>Raloxifene, selective estrogen receptor (ER) modulator, is not fully explored in colorectal cancer...
- Raloxifene ameliorates detrimental enzymatic and nonenzymatic collagen cross-links and bone strength in rabbits with hyperhomocysteinemiaM Saito
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Osteoporos Int 21:655-66. 2010..Such detrimental cross-link formation in bone was ameliorated by raloxifene (RLX) treatment.
- The effects of long-term raloxifene and estradiol treatments on bone in a patient with congenital aromatase deficiencyL Zirilli
Integrated Department of Medicine, Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Geriatrics, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via Giardini 1355, 41100 Modena, Italy
Bone 45:827-32. 2009..b>Raloxifene is a SERM with proven estrogen agonist action on bone that leads to an improvement in BMD and a reduction in ..
- Comparative methods for analysis of protein covalent modification by electrophilic quinoids formed from xenobioticsBolan Yu
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
Bioconjug Chem 20:728-41. 2009..For study of the protein targets of electrophilic metabolites formed by in situ oxidative bioactivation, the COATag is both sensitive and specific and does not appear to suffer from poor cell permeability...
- Selective estrogen receptor modulators as brain therapeutic agentsMaria Angeles Arevalo
Instituto Cajal, CSIC, Avenida Doctor Arce 37, E 28002 Madrid, Spain
J Mol Endocrinol 46:R1-9. 2011..New SERMs with specific actions on neurons and glial cells may represent promising therapeutic tools for the brain...
- Circulating chemoattractants RANTES, negatively related to endogenous androgens, and MCP-1 are differentially suppressed by hormone therapy and raloxifeneGeorge E Christodoulakos
2nd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Athens, Aretaieio Hospital, Athens, Greece
Atherosclerosis 193:142-50. 2007..Furthermore, the conflicting reports on the cardiovascular effects of hormone therapy between observational and clinical trials have triggered interest on the effect of alternative therapies on the cardiovascular system...
- Difference between genomic actions of estrogen versus raloxifene in human ovarian cancer cell linesH Sasaki
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Osaka University Medical School, Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Oncogene 27:2737-45. 2008..The molecular mechanisms of the effects of SERMs such as raloxifene on the tumor progression of epithelial ovarian cancer are also still unclear...
- Analysis of protein covalent modification by xenobiotics using a covert oxidatively activated tag: raloxifene proof-of-principle studyJu Liu
Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, 833 South Wood Street, M/C 781, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 18:1485-96. 2005..b>Raloxifene, in common with many SERMs and other xenobiotics, is a polyaromatic phenol that has been shown to be ..
- Osteocalcin immunolabeling during the alveolar healing process in ovariectomized rats treated with estrogen or raloxifeneEloá Rodrigues Luvizuto
Department of Surgery and Integrated Clinic, Unesp Univ Estadual Paulista, Brazil
Bone 46:1021-9. 2010..of an estrogen-deficient state was evaluated in this study and also its treatments with estrogen (E(2)) or with raloxifene (RLX) on the expression of osteocalcin during the periods of the chronology of the alveolar bone healing process ..
- Raloxifene causing malabsorption of levothyroxineElias S Siraj
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:1367-70. 2003To our knowledge, raloxifene hydrochloride, a selective estrogen receptor modulator, has never been reported to interfere with absorption of levothyroxine...
- Administration of raloxifene reduces sensorimotor and working memory deficits following traumatic brain injuryOlga N Kokiko
Restorative Neuroscience Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901, USA
Behav Brain Res 170:233-40. 2006..The present study examined the effects of raloxifene, a SERM, on functional recovery after bilateral cortical contusion injury (bCCI) or sham procedure...
- Vascular events in the Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation (MORE) trial: incidence, patient characteristics, and effect of raloxifeneClaire S Duvernoy
VA Medical Center, University of Michigan Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Menopause 12:444-52. 2005To determine the incidence of arterial and venous thromboembolic (VTE) events, to determine the effect of raloxifene on the incidence of combined vascular (arterial and VTE) events, and to identify patient characteristics associated with ..
- Effects of teriparatide in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis on prior alendronate or raloxifene: differences between stopping and continuing the antiresorptive agentFelicia Cosman
Helen Hayes Hospital, West Haverstraw, New York 10993, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:3772-80. 2009The aim of the study was to assess adding vs. switching to teriparatide 20 microg/d in patients on alendronate or raloxifene.
- Both estrogen and raloxifene protect against beta-amyloid-induced neurotoxicity in estrogen receptor alpha-transfected PC12 cells by activation of telomerase activity via Akt cascadeBotao Du
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yamagata University, School of Medicine, 2-2-2 Iidanishi, Yamagata 990-9585, Japan
J Endocrinol 183:605-15. 2004..In addition, the effect of raloxifene on Abeta-induced neuro-toxicity remains unknown...
- Cost effectiveness of raloxifene in the treatment of osteoporosis in Sweden: an economic evaluation based on the MORE studyFredrik Borgstrom
Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Pharmacoeconomics 22:1153-65. 2004The Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation (MORE) study showed that treatment with raloxifene reduces the risk of vertebral fracture and breast cancer in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis.
- Assessment of adherence to treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis with raloxifene and/or alfacalcidol in postmenopausal Japanese womenItsuo Gorai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, International University of Health and Welfare Atami Hospital, 13 1 Higashi Kaigancho, Atami, Shizuoka, 413 0012, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 28:176-84. 2010..In this study we aimed to assess adherence to treatment with 1 microg alfacalcidol (D), 60 mg raloxifene (R) or a combination of both (D + R) for 1 year in postmenopausal Japanese women with osteoporosis or osteopenia...
- Differential effects of raloxifene and estrogen on insulin sensitivity in postmenopausal womenCathy C Lee
University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:683-8. 2003To test the hypothesis that both raloxifene and estrogen would improve insulin sensitivity in postmenopausal women and that the magnitude of the effect would be similar for both drugs.
- Effects of raloxifene therapy on the anticoagulant system in postmenopausal womenG D Azevedo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, , , , Brazil
Climacteric 6:140-5. 2003BACKGROUND: Raloxifene therapy is associated with a three-fold increase in the risk for venous thromboembolism; however, its effects on the hemostatic system in postmenopausal women have not been well defined...
- Comparison of the effect of oestradiol, tamoxifen and raloxifene on nerve growth factor-alpha expression in specific neonatal mouse uterine cell types using laser capture microdissectionA R Green
MRC Molecular Endocrinology Group, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Robert Kilpatrick Building, University of Leicester, Leicester LE2 7LX, UK
J Mol Endocrinol 30:1-11. 2003Oral dosing of CD-1 mice on days 2-5 after birth with tamoxifen but not raloxifene disrupts the development of the myometrium, resulting in adult uterine adenomyosis...
- Effects of ovarian steroids and raloxifene on proteins that synthesize, transport, and degrade serotonin in the raphe region of macaquesLisa J Smith
Division of Reproductive Sciences, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Beaverton, OR, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 29:2035-45. 2004..questioned what effect would 1 or 5 mo of ovarian hormones or the selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), raloxifene, have on TPH protein and phosphorylation, and on protein expression of SERT, MAO-A or MAO-B? Raloxifene ..
- Does raloxifene treatment influence back pain and disability among postmenopausal women with osteoporosis?Georgios Papadokostakis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, University General Hospital, Heraklio, Crete, Greece
Eur Spine J 14:977-81. 2005..b>Raloxifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator has estrogen-like effects on bone tissue, and antagonize the action of ..
- Effectiveness of various drug carriers in controlled release formulations of raloxifene HCl prepared by melt mixingDimitrios Bikiaris
Laboratory of Organic Chemical Technology, Chemistry Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 541 24 Thessaloniki, Greece
Curr Drug Deliv 6:425-36. 2009In the present study solid dispersions of Raloxifene HCl were prepared by melt mixing. As drug carriers, biodegradable/biocompatible aliphatic polyesters were used...
- Raloxifene administration in premenopausal women with uterine leiomyomas: a pilot studyStefano Palomba
Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Catanzaro, 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3603-8. 2002..prospective randomized single-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial was carried out to evaluate the effects of raloxifene administration on uterine and leiomyoma sizes in premenopausal women...
- Effects of oral estrogen, raloxifene and arzoxifene on gene expression in serotonin neurons of macaquesCynthia L Bethea
Division of Reproductive Sciences, Oregon Regional Primate Research Center, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 27:431-45. 2002..Therefore, we questioned whether the selective estrogen receptor modulators, raloxifene and arzoxifene, act in a manner similar to E on gene expression in serotonin neurons of a nonhuman primate model...
- Raloxifene prevents endothelial dysfunction in aging ovariectomized female ratsChi Ming Wong
Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Vascul Pharmacol 44:290-8. 2006..in vascular reactivity in the aging (15 months old) female rat after ovariectomy and the effects of chronic raloxifene therapy on vascular reactivity and eNOS protein expression...
- Skeletal pain in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: prevalence and course during raloxifene treatment in a prospective observational study of 6 months durationS Scharla
Practice for Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, Bad Reichenhall, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 22:2393-402. 2006OBJECTIVE: To assess the prevalence of skeletal pain in postmenopausal women before the onset of raloxifene treatment and the further course of pain during treatment in a naturalistic setting...
- Characterization of hot flashes reported by healthy postmenopausal women receiving raloxifene or placebo during osteoporosis prevention trialsF J Cohen
Lilly Research Laboratories, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Maturitas 34:65-73. 2000b>Raloxifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator, is estrogen-like in the skeleton and cardiovascular system and antiestrogenic in reproductive tissues...
- Raloxifene modulates estrogen-mediated B cell autoreactivity in NZB/W F1 miceYu Zhang
Department of Medicine and Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
J Rheumatol 37:1646-57. 2010..We evaluated the effects and mechanism of action of the SERM raloxifene in murine lupus.
- A global study of vitamin D status and parathyroid function in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: baseline data from the multiple outcomes of raloxifene evaluation clinical trialP Lips
Department of Endocrinology, Academic Hospital Vrije Universiteit, 1007 M B Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1212-21. 2001..The international Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation study, a large prospective intervention trial in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis, offered the ..
- Risk of femoral shaft and subtrochanteric fractures among users of bisphosphonates and raloxifeneP Vestergaard
Department of Endocrinology and Internal Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Osteoporos Int 22:993-1001. 2011..This may suggest an effect of the underlying disease rather than the drugs used...
- Raloxifene inhibits estrogen-induced up-regulation of telomerase activity in a human breast cancer cell lineJun Kawagoe
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yamagata University, School of Medicine, Iidanishi, Yamagata, Japan
J Biol Chem 278:43363-72. 2003The mechanism by which raloxifene acts in the chemoprevention of breast cancer remains unclear...
- The selective estrogen receptor modulator raloxifene inhibits cardiac delayed rectifier potassium currents and voltage-gated sodium current without QTc interval prolongationHui Liu
Department of Pharmacology, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Pharmacol Res 62:384-90. 2010b>Raloxifene is widely used in the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis and also has been shown to be cardioprotective. The effect of raloxifene on cardiac ion channels is not fully understood...
- Effects of calcitonin, risedronate, and raloxifene on erythrocyte antioxidant enzyme activity, lipid peroxidation, and nitric oxide in postmenopausal osteoporosisSalih Ozgocmen
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Arch Med Res 38:196-205. 2007..Additionally, in vivo effects of three different anti-osteoporotic drugs, calcitonin, risedronate and raloxifene, on the erythrocyte oxidant-antioxidant status in women with PMO were also assessed.
- Effects of raloxifene after tamoxifen on breast and endometrial tumor growth in athymic miceCsaba Gajdos
Division of Hematology/Oncology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 94:274-83. 2002..We evaluated the effects on tumor growth of raloxifene, another SERM, after tamoxifen treatment in mouse models of breast and endometrial cancers...
- Raloxifene inhibits tumor growth and lymph node metastasis in a xenograft model of metastatic mammary cancerMasa Aki Shibata
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Division of Life Sciences, Osaka Medical College, 2 7 Daigaku machi, Takatsuki, Osaka 569 8686, Japan
BMC Cancer 10:566. 2010The effects of raloxifene, a novel selective estrogen receptor modulator, were studied in a mouse metastatic mammary cancer model expressing cytoplasmic ERα.
- [The role of mitogen-activated protein kinase cascades in inhibition of proliferation in human prostate carcinoma cells by raloxifene: an in vitro experiment]Yu xi Zhang
Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 88:271-5. 2008To investigate the role of mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) in the apoptosis and cell cycle arrest of human prostate carcinoma cells induced by raloxifene (RAL).
- Raloxifene inhibits matrix metalloproteinases expression and activity in macrophages and smooth muscle cellsStefano Bellosta
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133 Milan, Italy
Pharmacol Res 56:160-7. 2007..We investigated the effects of raloxifene, a second generation SERM, on MMP expression and activity in cultured macrophages and SMC, and in rabbit carotid ..
- Uterine peroxidase-catalyzed formation of diquinone methides from the selective estrogen receptor modulators raloxifene and desmethylated arzoxifeneHong Liu
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, 833 South Wood Street, M C 781, Chicago, Illinois 60612 7231, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 20:1676-84. 2007..We have previously shown that the benzothiophene SERMs, raloxifene and desmethylated arzoxifene (DMA), can also be bioactivated to electrophilic quinoids by rat/human liver ..
- Comparison of the effects of raloxifene and anastrozole on experimental endometriosisDevrim Altintas
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, University of Ondokuz Mayis, Samsun, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 150:84-7. 2010To compare the efficacies of anastrozole and raloxifene on endometriosis.
- Effect of 1 year of discontinuation of raloxifene or estrogen therapy on bone mineral density after 5 years of treatment in healthy postmenopausal womenS J M Neele
Endocrinology, Vrije Universiteit Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Bone 30:599-603. 2002..We investigated the effect of 1 year of discontinuation of the SERM raloxifene (Ral; 60 mg and 150 mg), conjugated equine estrogen (CEE; 0...
- Raloxifene concurrently stimulates osteoprotegerin and inhibits interleukin-6 production by human trabecular osteoblastsVolker Viereck
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Georg August University of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany D 37075
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:4206-13. 2003b>Raloxifene reduces bone loss and prevents vertebral fractures in postmenopausal women. Its skeletal effects are mediated by estrogen receptors (ER) and their modulation of paracrine osteoblastic factors...
- Patient-reported symptoms and quality of life during treatment with tamoxifen or raloxifene for breast cancer prevention: the NSABP Study of Tamoxifen and Raloxifene (STAR) P-2 trialStephanie R Land
National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project NSABP Operations and Biostatistical Centers, Department of Biostatistics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
JAMA 295:2742-51. 2006Tamoxifen has been approved for breast cancer risk reduction in high-risk women, but how raloxifene compares with tamoxifen is unknown.
- The role of selective estrogen receptor modulators in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosisE G Lufkin
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 27:163-85, vii. 2001..b>Raloxifene is a benzothiophene SERM that has estrogen against effects in bone and on serum lipid metabolism and estrogen ..
- Long-term anti-arthritic and anti-osteoporotic effects of raloxifene in established experimental postmenopausal polyarthritisC Jochems
Department of Rheumatology and Inflammation Research, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Clin Exp Immunol 152:593-7. 2008..Oestradiol and the selective oestrogen receptor modulator raloxifene have been shown to ameliorate the disease in collagen-induced arthritis (CIA), a well-established animal model ..
- Endothelial function and menopause: effects of raloxifene administrationNicola Colacurci
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Second University of Naples, I-80138 Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2135-40. 2003..In the present study, we evaluated the possible beneficial effect of raloxifene administration, a selective estrogen receptor modulator, on endothelial regulation in postmenopausal women...
- The use of tamoxifen and raloxifene for the prevention of breast cancerD Lawrence Wickerham
Operations Center, National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project, Allegheny Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Recent Results Cancer Res 181:113-9. 2009The NSABP Study of Tamoxifen and Raloxifene (STAR), launched in 1999, compared tamoxifen with raloxifene in a population of healthy postmenopausal women at increased risk for breast cancer to determine the relative effects on the risk of ..
- Effects of tibolone and raloxifene on health-related quality of life and sexual functionE A Nijland
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Academisch Ziekenhuis Groningen, 9713 GZ Groningen, The Netherlands
Maturitas 58:164-73. 2007Study to compare the effects of tibolone and raloxifene on health-related quality of life, sexuality and vaginal atrophy.
- Digitized mammography: a clinical trial of postmenopausal women randomly assigned to receive raloxifene, estrogen, or placeboM Freedman
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 93:51-6. 2001..density on mammograms, but the effect on mammographic density of selective estrogen receptor modulators, such as raloxifene, is unknown...
- Cardiovascular effects of raloxifene: the arterial and venous systemsRoger S Blumenthal
The John Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease, Division of Cardiology, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Am Heart J 147:783-9. 2004..Cardiovascular disease caused by atherosclerosis is the largest single killer of women. Prior observational data had suggested that hormone therapy may have cardioprotective effects...
- Continuing outcomes relevant to Evista: breast cancer incidence in postmenopausal osteoporotic women in a randomized trial of raloxifeneSilvana Martino
Cancer Institute Medical Group, 2001 Santa Monica Blvd, Ste 560W, Santa Monica, CA 90404, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:1751-61. 2004The randomized, double-blind Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation (MORE) trial found that 4 years of raloxifene therapy decreased the incidence of invasive breast cancer among postmenopausal women with osteoporosis by 72% compared ..
- Review on raloxifene: profile of a selective estrogen receptor modulatorM Heringa
Medical Department, Division of Nephrology, University of Ulm, Germany
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 41:331-45. 2003b>Raloxifene is a selective estrogen receptor modulator approved for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Raloxifene has an estrogen-agonistic effect on bone, although it is unclear how this effect comes about...
- The determination of raloxifene in rat tissue using HPLCZhaoyong Yang
Institute of Medicinal Biotechnology, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, 100050, People s Republic of China
Biomed Chromatogr 21:229-33. 2007We report a rapid and reliable HPLC-UV method for determination of raloxifene, a kind of selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), in rat tissue...
- Effect of raloxifene on breast cancer cell Ki67 and apoptosis: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial in postmenopausal patientsM Dowsett
Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, England SM2 5PT
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 10:961-6. 2001PURPOSE: Raloxifene is a selective estrogen receptor (ER) modulator approved for prevention and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. This is an exploratory study of raloxifene in primary breast cancer patients...
- Effect of raloxifene therapy on venous thromboembolism in postmenopausal women. A meta-analysisJurga Adomaityte
Division of General Internal Medicine Hospitalist Program, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21187, USA
Thromb Haemost 99:338-42. 2008b>Raloxifene, a selective estrogen receptor modulator, is indicated for the prevention of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. However, its effect on the risk of deep venous thrombosis (DVT) and pulmonary embolism (PE) is unclear...
- Raloxifene improves endothelial dysfunction in hypertension by reduced oxidative stress and enhanced nitric oxide productionSven Wassmann
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Innere Medizin III, , Homburg/Saar, Germany
Circulation 105:2083-91. 2002BACKGROUND: It has not been completely clarified whether selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) such as raloxifene exert vasoprotective effects similar to those of estrogens...
- In vivo activation of gene transcription via oestrogen response elements by a raloxifene analogueCecilia Engdahl
Department of Rheumatology and Inflammation Research, Institute of Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg, Guldhedsgatan 10A, 413 46 Gothenburg, Sweden
J Endocrinol 203:349-56. 2009b>Raloxifene is a selective oestrogen receptor modulator with tissue-specific effects...
- Raloxifene in breast cancer preventionLuigi Gennari
University of Siena, Department of Internal Medicine, Endocrine Metabolic Sciences and Biochemistry, Viale Bracci 1, 53100 Siena, Italy
Expert Opin Drug Saf 7:259-70. 2008b>Raloxifene is a benzothiophene, selective estrogen receptor modulator with estrogen-agonist effects in the skeleton and the cardiovascular system but estrogen-antagonist effects in the uterus and the mammary gland...
- Comparison of the effect of raloxifene and continuous-combined hormone therapy on mammographic breast density and breast tenderness in postmenopausal womenValerie P Jackson
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:389-94. 2003OBJECTIVE: The objectives were to evaluate mammographic changes in breast density that are associated with raloxifene or hormone therapy and to compare the safety profiles of the two therapies...
- Selective estrogen-receptor modulators -- mechanisms of action and application to clinical practiceB Lawrence Riggs
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
N Engl J Med 348:618-29. 2003
- Differential effects of selective oestrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) tamoxifen, ospemifene and raloxifene on human osteoclasts in vitroH Michael
Department of Anatomy, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Br J Pharmacol 151:384-95. 2007..Here, we have investigated the effects of different types of SERMs on osteoclast differentiation, bone resorption and apoptosis in vitro...
- Selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMS)Adolfo Diez-Perez
Department of Internal Medicine, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Hospital del Mar URFOA IMIM, Barcelona, Spain
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 50:720-34. 2006..Their development has permitted a targeted efficacy profile avoiding some of the side effects of the hormone therapy. Their clinical utility relies today mostly on the effects on breast cancer and bone...
- Veralipride administered in combination with raloxifene decreases hot flushes and improves bone density in early postmenopausal womenG Morgante
Department of Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Reproductive Medicine, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
Gynecol Endocrinol 18:194-8. 2004We evaluated the administration of raloxifene and veralipride in postmenopausal women with high osteoporosis risk and hot flushes in whom hormone replacement therapy (HRT) was contraindicated...
- Relationship between bone mass, invasive breast cancer incidence and raloxifene therapy in postmenopausal women with low bone mass or osteoporosisAlan L Burshell
Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 24:807-13. 2008To evaluate the relationship between bone mass and risk of breast cancer and to determine the effect of raloxifene therapy on breast cancer incidence in women categorized by bone mass into low bone mass and osteoporosis subgroups.
- Raloxifene vs tamoxifenSteven R Goldstein
JAMA 297:263-4; author reply 264. 2007
- SERMs: meeting the promise of multifunctional medicinesV Craig Jordan
Fox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:350-6. 2007..development and clinical evaluation of the selective estrogen receptor modulators in the Study of Tamoxifen and Raloxifene trial provides an occasion to reflect on the milestone that has been achieved and the potential for further ..
- A short-incubation reporter-gene assay for high-throughput screening of estrogen receptor-alpha antagonistsXiaoqing Shi
Department of Automated Biotechnology, Merck Research Laboratories, North Wales, PA, USA
Assay Drug Dev Technol 3:393-400. 2005..The assay was optimized and used for a fully automated ultrahigh-throughput screen in 3,456-well nanoplate format. The screening throughput was 250,000-300,000 compounds per day, and a number of valuable leads were identified...
- Do estrogen or selective estrogen receptor modulators improve quality of life for women with postmenopausal osteoporosis?Deborah T Gold
Department of Psychiatry, Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, Box 3003, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Curr Osteoporos Rep 5:3-7. 2007..In contrast, selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) such as raloxifene may increase vasomotor symptoms...
- Influence of estrogens and antiestrogens on the expression of selected hormone-responsive genesPiero Sismondi
Cattedra di Ginecologia Oncologica, Istituto per la Ricerca e la Cura del Cancro, Universita degli Studi di Torino, Candiolo, Italy
Maturitas 57:50-5. 2007..and three antiestrogenic drugs, comprising two selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM, 4-OH-tamoxifen, Raloxifene) and the pure antiestrogen ICI 182,780, on genome-wide gene expression levels was evaluated in breast carcinoma ..
- Activity of estradiol and selective estrogen receptor modulators in the mouse N20.1 oligodendrocyte/astrocytes cell lineCristina B Guzman
Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 26:526-32. 2005..We developed a glial cell model for ER function using the N20.1 mouse oligodendroglial cell line to evaluate the response of ERalpha and ERbeta to estradiol (E2), a raloxifene analog LY117018 (LY) and 4-hydroxytamoxifen (4OHT).
- Effects of herbs on transcription and cell proliferationDale Leitman; Fiscal Year: 2003..recently, SERMs are becoming increasingly popular for preventing cancer, since studies found that tamoxifen and raloxifene reduce the incidence of estrogen receptor positive breast tumors...
- IMMUNOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF HEMORRHAGEIrshad Chaudry; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will evaluate if administration of beta-estradiol, Raloxifene or PRL in vivo after trauma-hemorrhage improves the depressed immune responses in estrogen deficient mice...
- Female Hormones and VisionAlvin Eisner; Fiscal Year: 2006..and visual system as a result of estrogen-receptor action and to elucidate the effects of 2 SERMS, tamoxifen and raloxifene, as functions of their durations of use...
- Estrogen Dependency of Uterine LeiomyomaAyman Al Hendy; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., tamoxifen and raloxifene) can significantly reduce tumor incidence, size, and proliferative index in the Eker rat, the only animal model ..
- Hormones and Female Urinary IncontinenceTom Lue; Fiscal Year: 2009..This will be accomplished by treating our established incontinence rat model with estrogen, progesterone, raloxifene, levormeloxifene, and growth hormone, followed by cystometrical analysis. Specific Aim 2...
- A Molecular Basis for Phytoestrogen ChemopreventionAndrew Mesecar; Fiscal Year: 2002..the only phytoestrogen-ER structure solved to date, to those of estradiol (agonist) bound to ER-alpha and Raloxifene (antagonist) bound to ER- beta, reveals that the phytoestrogen genistein induces a novel conformation in ER...
- Interactions between SERMs, soy and black cohoshHeather Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Raloxifene, a newer SERM, is currently widely used for treatment of osteoporosis and is in trials for breast cancer ..
- MODEL FOR PELVIC FLOOR DISORDERSAmanda Clark; Fiscal Year: 2004..Special attention will be paid to the effects of a SERM (raloxifene) as there are tow reports that experimental SERMs increase the incidence of POP...
- REGULATION OF ESTROGEN-RESPONSIVE GENESANN NARDULLI; Fiscal Year: 2007..and coregutatory proteins involved in mediating the effects of estrogen and the SERMs 4-hydroxytamoxifen and raloxifene will be determined using in vivo footprinting and chromatin immunoprecipitation experiments...
- Hormone Replacement Therapy, SERMs & Leg Blood Flow in Postmenopausal WomenDOUGLAS SEALS; Fiscal Year: 2007..the present proposal is that HRT (transdermal estradiol) and/or a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM; raloxifene) will increase LBF in healthy previously estrogen deficient postmenopausal women by increasing LVC, with or ..
- PSYCHOBIOLOGY OF ESTROGEN RECEPTOR MODULATORSMark Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2003..This project will determine if the SERMs, tamoxifen and raloxifene, are E2 agonists or antagonists in the neuroendocrine regulation of behavior in female rhesus monkeys...
- PSYCHOBIOLOGY OF ESTROGEN RECEPTOR MODULATORSMark Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2000..This project will determine if the SERMs, tamoxifen and raloxifene, are E2 agonists or antagonists in the neuroendocrine regulation of behavior in female rhesus monkeys...
- Prophylactic, risk-reducing surgery in BRCA-positive women: sexual functioning aSharon Tollin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Chemoprevention with tamoxifen or raloxifene is another risk-reducing option...
- Interferon and Raloxifene Effects on Cancer CellsCHERYL ROSENFELD; Fiscal Year: 2007..The University is in the process of developing a Comparative Oncology Program. The campus provides a rich mix of disciplines and a collaborative environment, in which Dr. Rosenfeld is expected to continue to thrive. ..