Genomes and Genes
Summary: The generic name for the group of aliphatic hydrocarbons Cn-H2n+2. They are denoted by the suffix -ane. (Grant & Hackh's Chemical Dictionary, 5th ed)
Publications270 found, 100 shown here
- Microbial biosynthesis of alkanesAndreas Schirmer
LS9, Inc, 600 Gateway Boulevard, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Science 329:559-62. 2010b>Alkanes, the major constituents of gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel, are naturally produced by diverse species; however, the genetics and biochemistry behind this biology have remained elusive...
- Detection of formate, rather than carbon monoxide, as the stoichiometric coproduct in conversion of fatty aldehydes to alkanes by a cyanobacterial aldehyde decarbonylaseDouglas M Warui
Department of Chemistry, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, United States
J Am Chem Soc 133:3316-9. 2011The second of two reactions in a recently discovered pathway through which saturated fatty acids are converted to alkanes (and unsaturated fatty acids to alkenes) in cyanobacteria entails scission of the C1-C2 bond of a fatty aldehyde ..
- Alkane hydroxylases involved in microbial alkane degradationJan B van Beilen
Département de Biologie Moléculaire Végétale, Le Biophore, Quartier Sorge, Universite de Lausanne, 1015, Lausanne, Switzerland
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 74:13-21. 2007..The availability of a growing collection of alkane hydroxylase gene sequences now allows estimations of the relative abundance of the different enzyme systems and the distribution of the host organisms...
- CYP63A2, a catalytically versatile fungal P450 monooxygenase capable of oxidizing higher-molecular-weight polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, alkylphenols, and alkanesKhajamohiddin Syed
Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 79:2692-702. 2013..HMW-PAHs), endocrine-disrupting long-chain alkylphenols (APs), and crude oil aliphatic hydrocarbon n-alkanes. A homology-based three-dimensional (3D) model revealed the presence of an extraordinarily large active-site ..
- The quantitative significance of Syntrophaceae and syntrophic partnerships in methanogenic degradation of crude oil alkanesN D Gray
School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK
Environ Microbiol 13:2957-75. 2011..doubling times (36 days for both Smithella and Marinobacter) were determined using qPCR and quantitative data on alkanes, which were the predominant hydrocarbons degraded. The growth yield of the Smithella sp. [0...
- Anaerobic initial reaction of n-alkanes in a denitrifying bacterium: evidence for (1-methylpentyl)succinate as initial product and for involvement of an organic radical in n-hexane metabolismR Rabus
Max Planck Institut für Marine Mikrobiologie, D 28359 Bremen, Germany
J Bacteriol 183:1707-15. 2001A novel type of denitrifying bacterium (strain HxN1) with the capacity to oxidize n-alkanes anaerobically with nitrate as the electron acceptor to CO(2) formed (1-methylpentyl)succinate (MPS) during growth on n-hexane as the only organic ..
- Diversity of flavin-binding monooxygenase genes (almA) in marine bacteria capable of degradation long-chain alkanesWanpeng Wang
Key Laboratory of Marine Biogenetic Resources, The Third Institute of Oceanography, State of Oceanic Administration, Xiamen, China
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 80:523-33. 2012Many bacteria have been reported as degraders of long-chain (LC) n-alkanes, but the mechanism is poorly understood...
- Crude-oil biodegradation via methanogenesis in subsurface petroleum reservoirsD M Jones
School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK
Nature 451:176-80. 2008..The initial preferential removal of n-alkanes generates close to stoichiometric amounts of methane, principally by hydrogenotrophic methanogenesis...
- Multiple alkane hydroxylase systems in a marine alkane degrader, Alcanivorax dieselolei B-5Chenli Liu
Key Lab of Marine Biogenetic Resources, Third Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration, China
Environ Microbiol 13:1168-78. 2011Alcanivorax dieselolei strain B-5 is a marine bacterium that can utilize a broad range of n-alkanes (C(5) -C(36) ) as sole carbon source. However, the mechanisms responsible for this trait remain to be established...
- Analyses of n-alkanes degrading community dynamics of a high-temperature methanogenic consortium enriched from production water of a petroleum reservoir by a combination of molecular techniquesLei Zhou
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, Institute of Applied Chemistry, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Ecotoxicology 21:1680-91. 2012..from high-temperature oil reservoir production water and incubated at 55 °C with a mixture of long chain n-alkanes (C(15)-C(20)) as the sole carbon and energy sources was characterized...
- An ab initio study on the torsional surface of alkanes and its effect on molecular simulations of alkanes and a DPPC bilayerJeffery B Klauda
Laboratory of Biophysical Chemistry, National Institutes of Health, Building 50, 50 South Drive, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Phys Chem B 109:5300-11. 2005Energies of 119 conformations of normal alkanes from butane to heptane were calculated at approximately the CCSD(T)/cc-pVQZ level. Energies of gauche (g) conformers relative to trans (t) decrease as chain length increases...
- Analysis of alkane-dependent methanogenic community derived from production water of a high-temperature petroleum reservoirSerge Maurice Mbadinga
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering and Institute of Applied Chemistry, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, 200237, China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 96:531-42. 2012Microbial assemblage in an n-alkanes-dependent thermophilic methanogenic enrichment cultures derived from production waters of a high-temperature petroleum reservoir was investigated in this study...
- Genes involved in alkane degradation in the Alcanivorax hongdengensis strain A-11-3Wanpeng Wang
The Third Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration, Xiamen, China
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 94:437-48. 2012..type strain isolated from the surface water of the Malacca and Singapore Straits that can degrade a wide range of alkanes. To understand the degradation mechanism of this strain, the genes encoding alkane hydroxylases were obtained by ..
- Task group differences in cuticular lipids in the honey bee Apis melliferaRicarda Kather
Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Chem Ecol 37:205-12. 2011..as our model species, we investigated the presence of task-specific patterns in the cuticular lipids (n-alkanes, fatty acids, and alkenes) of bees...
- Genes encoding the candidate enzyme for anaerobic activation of n-alkanes in the denitrifying bacterium, strain HxN1Olav Grundmann
Max Planck Institut für Marine Mikrobiologie, Celsiusstrasse 1, D 28359 Bremen, Germany
Environ Microbiol 10:376-85. 2008Strain HxN1, a member of the Betaproteobacteria, can grow anaerobically by denitrification with n-alkanes. n-Alkanes are apparently activated by subterminal carbon addition to fumarate yielding (1-methylalkyl)succinates, the postulated ..
- Anaerobic biodegradation of longer-chain n-alkanes coupled to methane production in oil sands tailingsTariq Siddique
Department of Renewable Resources, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2E3, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 45:5892-9. 2011..Our previous studies revealed that certain hydrocarbons (short-chain n-alkanes [C(6)-C(10)] and monoaromatics [toluene, o-xylene, m-xylene]) in residual naphtha entrained in the tailings are ..
- Involvement of an alkane hydroxylase system of Gordonia sp. strain SoCg in degradation of solid n-alkanesLuca Lo Piccolo
Dipartimento di Biologia Cellulare e dello Sviluppo, Viale delle Scienze edif 16, 90128 Palermo, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:1204-13. 2011Enzymes involved in oxidation of long-chain n-alkanes are still not well known, especially those in gram-positive bacteria. This work describes the alkane degradation system of the n-alkane degrader actinobacterium Gordonia sp...
- Microbial production of short-chain alkanesYong Jun Choi
Metabolic and Biomolecular Engineering National Research Laboratory, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering BK21 Program, BioProcess Engineering Research Center and Center for Systems and Synthetic Biotechnology, Institute for the BioCentury, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology KAIST, 291 Daehak ro, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 701, South Korea
Nature 502:571-4. 2013..Here we report the development of platform Escherichia coli strains that are capable of producing short-chain alkanes (SCAs; petrol), free fatty acids (FFAs), fatty esters and fatty alcohols through the fatty acyl (acyl carrier ..
- Isolation and characterization of a novel thermophilic Bacillus strain degrading long-chain n-alkanesLei Wang
TEDA School of Biological Sciences and Biotechnology, Nankai University, 23 Hong Da Street, TEDA, 300457, Tianjin, People s Republic of China
Extremophiles 10:347-56. 2006..Further examination showed that NG80-2 degraded and utilized only long-chain (C15-C36) n-alkanes, but not short-chain (C8-C14) n-alkanes and those longer than C40...
- Understanding and exploiting C-H bond activationJay A Labinger
Arnold and Mabel Beckman Laboratories of Chemical Synthesis, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Nature 417:507-14. 2002..synthesis to the replacement of current petrochemical feedstocks by less expensive and more readily available alkanes. The past twenty years have seen many examples of C-H bond activation at transition-metal centres, often under ..
- Cytochrome P450 alkane hydroxylases of the CYP153 family are common in alkane-degrading eubacteria lacking integral membrane alkane hydroxylasesJan B van Beilen
Institute of Biotechnology, ETH Honggerberg, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:59-65. 2006Several strains that grow on medium-chain-length alkanes and catalyze interesting hydroxylation and epoxidation reactions do not possess integral membrane nonheme iron alkane hydroxylases...
- Degradation of alkanes by bacteriaFernando Rojo
Departamento de Biotecnologia Microbiana, Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia, CSIC, Campus de la Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Cantoblanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Environ Microbiol 11:2477-90. 2009..Crude oil is a complex mixture of thousands of compounds. Among them, alkanes constitute the major fraction. Alkanes are saturated hydrocarbons of different sizes and structures...
- Bioenergy production via microbial conversion of residual oil to natural gasLisa M Gieg
Department of Botany and Microbiology, Institute for Energy and the Environment, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma 73019, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:3022-9. 2008..The anaerobic biodegradation of n-alkanes to methane gas has now been documented in a few studies, and it was speculated that this process might be useful ..
- Anaerobic biodegradation of saturated and aromatic hydrocarbonsF Widdel
Max Planck Institut für Marine Mikrobiologie, Celsiusstrasse 1, D 28359, Bremen, Germany
Curr Opin Biotechnol 12:259-76. 2001..During the past decade, however, an increasing number of microorganisms have been detected that degrade hydrocarbons under strictly anoxic conditions...
- Identification of novel genes involved in long-chain n-alkane degradation by Acinetobacter sp. strain DSM 17874Mimmi Throne-Holst
SINTEF Materials and Chemistry, Department of Biotechnology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Sem Saelandsvei 2A, 7465 Trondheim, Norway
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:3327-32. 2007Acinetobacter sp. strain DSM 17874 is capable of utilizing n-alkanes with chain lengths ranging from that of decane (C10H22) to that of tetracontane (C40H82) as a sole carbon source...
- Two novel alkane hydroxylase-rubredoxin fusion genes isolated from a Dietzia bacterium and the functions of fused rubredoxin domains in long-chain n-alkane degradationYong Nie
Department of Energy and Resources Engineering, College of Engineering, Peking University, Beijing 100871, PR China
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:7279-88. 2011..alkW1 and alkW2) were cloned from a Dietzia strain, designated DQ12-45-1b, which can grow on crude oil and n-alkanes ranging in length from 6 to 40 carbon atoms as sole carbon sources...
- Multitargeted drugs discovery: balancing anti-amyloid and anticholinesterase capacity in a single chemical entityMaria Laura Bolognesi
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences Alma Mater Studiorum Bologna University, Via Belmeloro 6, 40126 Bologna, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 21:2655-8. 2011..By properly combining two or more distinct pharmacological properties in a molecule, we can achieve greater effectiveness compared to single-targeted drugs for investigating AD...
- Probing the mechanism of cyanobacterial aldehyde decarbonylase using a cyclopropyl aldehydeBishwajit Paul
Department of Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Am Chem Soc 135:5234-7. 2013..aldehyde decarbonylase (cAD) is a non-heme diiron oxygenase that catalyzes the conversion of fatty aldehydes to alkanes and formate. The mechanism of this chemically unusual reaction is poorly understood...
- A process for microbial hydrocarbon synthesis: Overproduction of fatty acids in Escherichia coli and catalytic conversion to alkanesRebecca M Lennen
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison Wisconsin, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 106:193-202. 2010..phase and fed to a Pd/C plug flow reactor, where the extracted fatty acids were decarboxylated into saturated alkanes. The result is an enriched alkane stream that can be recycled for continuous extractions...
- Thermodynamic constraints on methanogenic crude oil biodegradationJan Dolfing
School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
ISME J 2:442-52. 2008..There are several possible routes whereby hydrocarbons may be converted to methane: (i) complete oxidation of alkanes to H2 and CO2, linked to methanogenesis from CO2 reduction; (ii) oxidation of alkanes to acetate and H2, linked ..
- Production of propane and other short-chain alkanes by structure-based engineering of ligand specificity in aldehyde-deformylating oxygenaseBasile Khara
Manchester Institute of Biotechnology and Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, 131 Princess Street, Manchester M1 7DN, UK
Chembiochem 14:1204-8. 2013..This presents new opportunities for developing biocatalytic modules for the production of volatile "drop-in" biofuels. ..
- Microbial communities involved in methane production from hydrocarbons in oil sands tailingsTariq Siddique
Department of Renewable Resources, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 46:9802-10. 2012Microbial metabolism of residual hydrocarbons, primarily short-chain n-alkanes and certain monoaromatic hydrocarbons, in oil sands tailings ponds produces large volumes of CH(4) in situ...
- Cyanobacterial alkane biosynthesis further expands the catalytic repertoire of the ferritin-like 'di-iron-carboxylate' proteinsCarsten Krebs
Department of Chemistry, Penn State University, 332 Chemistry Building, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 15:291-303. 2011....
- Degradation of n-alkanes and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in petroleum by a newly isolated Pseudomonas aeruginosa DQ8Zhengzhi Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Technology, Shandong University, Jinan 250100, People s Republic of China
Bioresour Technol 102:4111-6. 2011A bacterial isolate, designated as DQ8, was found capable of degrading diesel, crude oil, n-alkanes and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in petroleum...
- Bacterial metabolism of long-chain n-alkanesAlexander Wentzel
Department of Biotechnology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Sem Saelandsvei 6 8, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 76:1209-21. 2007Degradation of alkanes is a widespread phenomenon in nature, and numerous microorganisms, both prokaryotic and eukaryotic, capable of utilizing these substrates as a carbon and energy source have been isolated and characterized...
- Anaerobic transformation of alkanes to fatty acids by a sulfate-reducing bacterium, strain Hxd3Chi Ming So
Biotechnology Center for Agriculture and the Environment, Cook College, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 59 Dudley Road, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 8520, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:3892-900. 2003..grown on perdeuterated pentadecane and [1,2-(13)C(2)]hexadecane, respectively, underscoring evidence that C-odd alkanes are transformed to C-even fatty acids and vice versa...
- Biodegradation of short-chain n-alkanes in oil sands tailings under methanogenic conditionsTariq Siddique
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2E9, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 40:5459-64. 2006The biodegradation of a mixture of low molecular weight n-alkanes (C6, C7, C8, and C10) was assessed under methanogenic conditions using mature fine tailings (MFT) produced by the oil sands industry in Alberta, Canada...
- Volatile organic compounds released by the entomopathogenic fungus Beauveria bassianaR Crespo
Instituto de Investigaciones Bioquimicas de La Plata, CONICET, UNLP, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, calles 60 y 120, La Plata, 1900, Argentina
Microbiol Res 163:148-51. 2008..Alkane-grown fungal VOC switched to a fingerprint with prevalence of n-decane. This is the first report on the volatiles released by entomopathogenic fungi...
- Molecular screening for alkane hydroxylase genes in Gram-negative and Gram-positive strainsT H Smits
Institute of Biotechnology, ETH Honggerberg, Zurich, Switzerland
Environ Microbiol 1:307-17. 1999..all Gram-negative and in two out of three Gram-positive strains able to grow on medium- (C6-C11) or long-chain n-alkanes (C12-C16), PCR products of the expected size were obtained...
- Exhaled markers of inflammatory lung diseases: ready for routine monitoring?Sergei A Kharitonov
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, Royal Brompton Hospital, London, UK
Swiss Med Wkly 134:175-92. 2004..The article reviews whether current noninvasive measurements of exhaled gases, such as nitric oxide (NO), hydrocarbons, inflammatory markers exhaled breath condensate (EBC) are ready for routine use in clinical practice...
- Stereoselective microbial dehalorespiration with vicinal dichlorinated alkanesStefaan De Wildeman
Laboratory for Microbial Ecology and Technology, Ghent University, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:5643-7. 2003..This unique dehalorespiratory biochemistry has shown promising application possibilities for bioremediation purposes and fine-chemical synthesis...
- Efficient stereo- and regioselective hydroxylation of alkanes catalysed by a bulky polyoxometalateKeigo Kamata
Department of Applied Chemistry, School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8656, Japan
Nat Chem 2:478-83. 2010Direct functionalization of alkanes by oxidation of C-H bonds to form alcohols under mild conditions is a challenge for synthetic chemistry...
- In-injection port thermal desorption and subsequent gas chromatography-mass spectrometric analysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and n-alkanes in atmospheric aerosol samplesSteven Sai Hang Ho
Department of Chemistry, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
J Chromatogr A 1059:121-9. 2004..We describe here an alternative approach for the analysis of aerosol alkanes and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) that obviates the use of solvents...
- Compound-specific deltaD-delta13C analyses of n-alkanes extracted from terrestrial and aquatic plantsYoshito Chikaraishi
Department of Chemistry, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 1 1, Minami Ohsawa, Hachioji, 192 0397, Tokyo, Japan
Phytochemistry 63:361-71. 2003Stable hydrogen and carbon isotopic compositions of individual n-alkanes were determined for various terrestrial plants (33 samples including 27 species) and aquatic plants (six species) in natural environments from Japan and Thailand...
- Packing properties of 1-alkanols and alkanes in a phospholipid membraneThomas H Aagaard
Department of Life Science and Chemistry, Roskilde University PO Box 260, DK 4000 Roskilde, Denmark
Biophys Chem 119:61-8. 2006We have used vibrating tube densitometry to investigate the packing properties of four alkanes and a homologous series of ten alcohols in fluid-phase membranes of dimyristoyl phosphatidylcholine (DMPC)...
- Catalytic dehydroaromatization of n-alkanes by pincer-ligated iridium complexesRitu Ahuja
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
Nat Chem 3:167-71. 2011..Benzene, toluene and xylenes are obtained from the high temperature thermolysis of alkanes. Higher alkylaromatics are generally derived from arene-olefin coupling, which gives branched products--that is, ..
- Secondary organic aerosol formation from intermediate-volatility organic compounds: cyclic, linear, and branched alkanesDaniel S Tkacik
Center for Atmospheric Particle Studies, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Environ Sci Technol 46:8773-81. 2012..as an unresolved complex mixture (UCM) that is presumably made up of a complex mixture of branched and cyclic alkanes. To better understand SOA formation from IVOCs, a series of smog chamber experiments was conducted with different ..
- Biosynthetic origin of the saw-toothed profile in delta(13)C and delta(2)H of n-alkanes and systematic isotopic differences between n-, iso- and anteiso-alkanes in leaf waxes of land plantsYouping Zhou
RSB, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
Phytochemistry 71:388-403. 2010..The n-alkanes containing an odd number of carbon atoms (OCN-n-alkanes) are generally formed by the decarboxylation of ECN-n-FAs,..
- Influence of biosurfactants produced by Candida antarctica on surface properties of microorganism and biodegradation of n-alkanesZhaozhe Hua
School of Biotechnology, Southern Yangtze University Wuxi University of Light Industry, 214036 Wuxi, China
Water Res 37:4143-50. 2003..that the addition of BS-UC influenced positively the emulsification and the biodegradation of a variety of n-alkanes substrates...
- Regioselective ω-hydroxylation of medium-chain n-alkanes and primary alcohols by CYP153 enzymes from Mycobacterium marinum and Polaromonas sp. strain JS666Daniel Scheps
Institute of Technical Biochemistry, Universitaet Stuttgart, Allmandring 31, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Org Biomol Chem 9:6727-33. 2011..systems yielded primary alcohols and α,ω-alkanediols, each one displayed a different oxidation pattern towards alkanes. For CYP153A P. sp...
- Volatile components of the cyanobacterium Oscillatoria perornata (Skuja)M R Tellez
Natural Products Utilization Research Unit, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Box 8048, Oxford, Mississippi 38677, USA
J Agric Food Chem 49:5989-92. 2001..0%), dimethyl trisulfide (0.5%), and benzothiazole (0.6%). These compounds and their organoleptic characteristics are discussed in relation to their possible contributions to cultured catfish off-flavor problems...
- n-Alkane chain length alters Dietzia sp. strain DQ12-45-1b biosurfactant production and cell surface activityXing Biao Wang
Department of Energy and Resources Engineering, College of Engineering, Peking University, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Appl Environ Microbiol 79:400-2. 2013..These results suggest that the mechanisms of biosurfactant production and cell surface hydrophobicity are dependent upon the chain lengths of the n-alkanes used as carbon sources.
- Soluble methane monooxygenase: activation of dioxygen and methaneDaniel A Kopp
Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 18 498, Cambridge 02139, USA
Curr Opin Chem Biol 6:568-76. 2002..techniques have clarified subtle details about each step in the reaction, from binding and activating dioxygen, to hydroxylation of alkanes and other substrates, to the electron transfer events required to complete the catalytic cycle.
- Transcriptional profiling of the marine oil-degrading bacterium Alcanivorax borkumensis during growth on n-alkanesJulia S Sabirova
Department of Bioscience and Bioengineering, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
FEMS Microbiol Lett 319:160-8. 2011..Among the genes upregulated on alkanes are systems predicted to be involved in the terminal oxidation of alkanes, biofilm formation, signal transduction,..
- Anaerobic utilization of alkylbenzenes and n-alkanes from crude oil in an enrichment culture of denitrifying bacteria affiliating with the beta-subclass of ProteobacteriaR Rabus
Max Planck Institut für Marine Mikrobiologie, Bremen, Germany
Environ Microbiol 1:145-57. 1999..the first phase, bacteria grew homogeneously in the aqueous phase, while various C1-C3 alkylbenzenes, but no alkanes, were utilized from the crude oil...
- Determination of ethane, pentane and isoprene in exhaled air using a multi-bed adsorbent and end-cut gas-solid chromatographyMona Lärstad
Department of Occupational Medicine, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Sweden
Analyst 127:1440-5. 2002..1+/-5.8 pmol l(-1), 11+/-5.8 pmol l(-1) and 2.4+/-0.90 mnol l(-1), respectively. The method could, with minor modifications, be used to determine other low-molecular hydrocarbons in exhaled air as well...
- Genome sequence of Pseudomonas aeruginosa DQ8, an efficient degrader of n-alkanes and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbonsZhonghui Gai
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Metabolism and School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
J Bacteriol 194:6304-5. 2012..from the crude oil polluted soil in the Daqing oilfield of China, can efficiently degrade diesel, crude oil, n-alkanes, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Here, we present a 6.8-Mb assembly of its genome sequence...
- Volatile alkanes and increased concentrations of isoprene in exhaled air during hemodialysisE Capodicasa
Institute of Internal Medicine and Oncological Sciences, Perugia University, Perugia, Italy
Nephron 82:331-7. 1999..We assessed both C(2)-C(5) alkanes - among them ethane and pentane the production of which in man is essentially due to the action free radicals ..
- Wax ester production from n-alkanes by Acinetobacter sp. strain M-1: ultrastructure of cellular inclusions and role of acyl coenzyme A reductaseTakeru Ishige
Division of Applied Life Sciences, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:1192-5. 2002..The contribution of acyl-CoA reductase to wax ester synthesis was evaluated by gene disruption analysis...
- Degradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and long chain alkanes at 60-70 degrees C by Thermus and Bacillus spp [corrected]Heiko Feitkenhauer
Laboratory of Chemical Engineering and Industrial Chemistry, ETH Zurich, Honggerberg, Building HCI F106, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Biodegradation 14:367-72. 2003Although polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) and alkanes are biodegradable at ambient temperature, in some cases low bioavailabilities are the reason for slow biodegradation...
- Multitarget-directed ligands: innovative chemical probes and therapeutic tools against Alzheimer's diseaseMaria Laura Bolognesi
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna, Via Belmeloro 6, 40126 Bologna, Italy
Curr Top Med Chem 11:2797-806. 2011..Herein, we discuss several examples of both types of compounds, taken from our own research and derived from the leads memoquin, lipocrine and bis(7)tacrine...
- Compounds that block both intermediate-conductance (IK(Ca)) and small-conductance (SK(Ca)) calcium-activated potassium channelsM Malik-Hall
Department of Pharmacology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT Department of Chemistry, University College London, 20 Gordon Street, London WC1H 0AJ, UK
Br J Pharmacol 129:1431-8. 2000..1+/-0.2 nM). 7. The main outcome is the identification of new intermediate-conductance Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channel blockers with a wide range of IK(Ca)/SK(Ca) selectivities...
- Selective hydroxylation of alkanes by an extracellular fungal peroxygenaseSebastian Peter
Department of Bio and Environmental Sciences, International Graduate School of Zittau, Zittau, Germany
FEBS J 278:3667-75. 2011..that the peroxygenase secreted by Agrocybe aegerita catalyzes the H(2)O(2)-dependent hydroxylation of linear alkanes at the 2-position and 3-position with high efficiency, as well as the regioselective monooxygenation of branched ..
- Polarizable empirical force field for alkanes based on the classical Drude oscillator modelIgor V Vorobyov
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Phys Chem B 109:18988-99. 2005..In the present work, optimization of parameters for alkanes in a polarizable empirical force field based on a classical Drude oscillator is presented...
- Xenon and halogenated alkanes track putative substrate binding cavities in the soluble methane monooxygenase hydroxylaseD A Whittington
Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Biochemistry 40:3476-82. 2001..The halogenated alkanes bind in two cavities within the alpha-subunit that extend from one surface of the protein to the buried dinuclear ..
- A P450 BM-3 mutant hydroxylates alkanes, cycloalkanes, arenes and heteroarenesD Appel
, , Allmandring 31, D-70459, Stuttgart, Germany
J Biotechnol 88:167-71. 2001..activity of the triple mutant towards indole, we investigated in a preliminary, but systematic manner several alkanes, alicyclic, aromatic, and heterocyclic compounds, all of which are unaffected by the native enzyme, for their ..
- Mild and efficient H/D exchange of alkanes based on C-H activation catalyzed by rhodium on charcoalTomohiro Maegawa
Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, 5 6 1 Mitahora higashi Gifu 502 8585, Japan
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 47:5394-7. 2008
- Revised charge equilibration potential for liquid alkanesJoseph E Davis
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Delaware, 238 Brown Laboratory Newark, Delaware 19716, USA
J Phys Chem B 112:8298-310. 2008..compressibilities, constant pressure heat capacities, and NMR T 1 relaxation times for a series of linear alkanes ranging from hexane to pentadecane based on the current revised model...
- Identification and characterization of the CYP52 family of Candida tropicalis ATCC 20336, important for the conversion of fatty acids and alkanes to alpha,omega-dicarboxylic acidsDavid L Craft
Biotechnology Group, Cognis Corporation, Cincinnati, Ohio 45232, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:5983-91. 2003Candida tropicalis ATCC 20336 excretes alpha,omega-dicarboxylic acids as a by-product when cultured on n-alkanes or fatty acids as the carbon source...
- A small molecule targeting the multifactorial nature of Alzheimer's diseaseAndrea Cavalli
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna, Via Belmeloro, 6, 40126 Bologna, Italy
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 46:3689-92. 2007
- Memoquin: a multi-target-directed ligand as an innovative therapeutic opportunity for Alzheimer's diseaseMaria Laura Bolognesi
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna, 40126 Bologna, Italy
Neurotherapeutics 6:152-62. 2009..The in vitro and in vivo biological profile of memoquin demonstrates the suitability of the new strategy for obtaining innovative drug candidates for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases...
- Scaling of the viscosity of the Lennard-Jones chain fluid model, argon, and some normal alkanesGuillaume Galliero
Laboratoire des Fluides Complexes UPPA CNRS TOTAL, Pau University, BP 1155, 64013 Pau Cedex, France
J Chem Phys 134:064505. 2011..Lennard-Jones chain fluid (from the monomer to the hexadecamer), then to real fluids, such as argon and normal alkanes. To enlarge noticeably the range of thermodynamics conditions for which these scaling methods are applicable, we ..
- Growth of Pseudomonas chloritidismutans AW-1(T) on n-alkanes with chlorate as electron acceptorFarrakh Mehboob
Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 83:739-47. 2009..Here, we report that Pseudomonas chloritidismutans AW-1(T) grows on n-alkanes (ranging from C7 until C12) with chlorate as electron acceptor...
- Iridium bis(phosphinite) p-XPCP pincer complexes: highly active catalysts for the transfer dehydrogenation of alkanesInigo Göttker-Schnetmann
Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3290, USA
J Am Chem Soc 126:1804-11. 2004..1NaOtBu, turnover numbers (TONs) between 1400 and 2200 (up to 72% conversion in TBE) and initial turnover frequencies (TOFs) between 1.6 and 2.4 s(-1) have been observed at 200 degrees C...
- Effects of surfactant mixtures, including Corexit 9527, on bacterial oxidation of acetate and alkanes in crude oilP Bruheim
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Chemistry and Biology, The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, N 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Appl Environ Microbiol 65:1658-61. 1999..surfactants, including Corexit 9527, were tested to determine their effects on bacterial oxidation of acetate and alkanes in crude oil by cells pregrown on these substrates...
- Trace determination of airborne polyfluorinated iodine alkanes using multisorbent thermal desorption/gas chromatography/high resolution mass spectrometryTing Ruan
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, 100085, China
J Chromatogr A 1217:4439-47. 2010..thermal desorption cartridges has been developed for the determination of volatile neutral polyfluorinated iodine alkanes (PFIs) in airborne samples...
- Degradation of alkanes and highly chlorinated benzenes, and production of biosurfactants, by a psychrophilic Rhodococcus sp. and genetic characterization of its chlorobenzene dioxygenasePeter Rapp
GBF National Research Centre for Biotechnology, Division of Microbiology, Mascheroderweg 1, D 38124 Braunschweig, Germany
Microbiology 149:2879-90. 2003..Furthermore, the bacterium grew well on a great number of n-alkanes ranging from n-heptane to n-triacontane and on the branched alkane 2,6,10,14-tetramethylpentadecane (pristane) ..
- Tapetosomes in Brassica tapetum accumulate endoplasmic reticulum-derived flavonoids and alkanes for delivery to the pollen surfaceKai Hsieh
Department of Botany and Plant Sciences, Center for Plant Cell Biology, University of California, Riverside, California 92521, USA
Plant Cell 19:582-96. 2007..Subcellular fractionation of developing anthers localized both flavonoids and alkanes in tapetosomes...
- Does she smell like a queen? Chemoreception of a cuticular hydrocarbon signal in the ant Pachycondyla inversaPatrizia d'Ettorre
Department of Zoology, University of Regensburg, Universitaetsstrasse 31, 93040 Regensburg, Germany
J Exp Biol 207:1085-91. 2004..inversa workers react to this key compound. 3,11-diMeC(27) is correlated with ovarian activity and, because it is detected, is likely to assume the role of a fertility signal reflecting the quality of the sender...
- Compressed alkanes in reversible encapsulation complexesDariush Ajami
Department of Chemistry, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nat Chem 1:87-90. 2009Simple alkanes feature fully extended conformations as their lowest-energy shapes but can assume coiled, compressed conformations in small spaces...
- Biodegradation of variable-chain-length alkanes at low temperatures by a psychrotrophic Rhodococcus spL G Whyte
NRC Biotechnology Research Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:2578-84. 1998The psychorotrophic Rhodococcus sp. strain Q15 was examined for its ability to degrade individual n-alkanes and diesel fuel at low temperatures, and its alkane catabolic pathway was investigated by biochemical and genetic techniques...
- Rotational relaxation of neutral red in alkanes: effect of solvent size on probe rotationM K Singh
Spectroscopy Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Center, Trombay, Mumbai, India
Photochem Photobiol 72:438-43. 2000Rotational reorientation times of a polar molecule neutral red (NR) have been measured in n-alkanes using steady-state fluorescence depolarization technique...
- Production of liquid alkanes by aqueous-phase processing of biomass-derived carbohydratesGeorge W Huber
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Wisconsin at Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Science 308:1446-50. 2005Liquid alkanes with the number of carbon atoms ranging from C7 to C15 were selectively produced from biomass-derived carbohydrates by acid-catalyzed dehydration, which was followed by aldol condensation over solid base catalysts to form ..
- Molecular characterization and expression analysis of a suite of cytochrome P450 enzymes implicated in insect hydrocarbon degradation in the entomopathogenic fungus Beauveria bassianaNicolás Pedrini
Department of Microbiology and Cell Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Microbiology 156:2549-57. 2010..epicuticle or waxy layer comprises a heterogeneous mixture of lipids that include abundant levels of long-chain alkanes, alkenes, wax esters and fatty acids...
- Presence and partitioning behavior of polyfluorinated iodine alkanes in environmental matrices around a fluorochemical manufacturing plant: another possible source for perfluorinated carboxylic acids?Ting Ruan
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, Research Center for Eco Environmental Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100085
Environ Sci Technol 44:5755-61. 2010..iodides (PFIs), a group of volatile perfluorinated compounds (PFCs), including four perfluorinated iodine alkanes (FIAs) and three polyfluorinated telomer iodides (FTIs) were confirmed to be present in the environment...
- Selective transport and accumulation of alkanes by Rhodococcus erythropolis S+14HeIn Seon Kim
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2G6, Canada
Biotechnol Bioeng 80:650-9. 2002Selective transport and accumulation of n-alkanes by Rhodococcus erythropolis S+14He was studied by growing cells on n-hexadecane, n-octadecane or the branched alkane pristane, and on mixtures of hydrocarbons...
- Gas-particle concentration and distribution of n-alkanes and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the atmosphere of Prato (Italy)Alessandra Cincinelli
Department of Chemistry, University of Florence, Via della Lastruccia, 3, 50019 Sesto Fiorentino, Florence, Italy
Chemosphere 68:472-8. 2007..Gas-particle partition coefficients (K(p)'s) of n-alkane and PAHs were well correlated with the sub-cooled liquid vapour pressure (P(L)(0)) and indicate stronger sorption of PAHs to aerosol particles compared with n-alkanes.
- Incorporation of semi-fluorinated alkanes in the bilayer of small unilamellar vesicles of phosphatidylserine: impact on fusion kineticsYves Ferro
Unité de Chimie Moléculaire, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, Faculte des Sciences, Parc Valrose, Nice, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1581:11-20. 2002Semi-fluorinated alkanes C(n)F(2n+1)C(m)H(2m+1) (FnHm) can be co-dispersed with standard phospholipids to form 'fluorinated' vesicles, i.e. vesicles with an internal fluorinated film within their bilayer membrane...
- Heart allograft rejection: detection with breath alkanes in low levels (the HARDBALL study)Michael Phillips
Menssana Research, Inc Fort Lee, New Jersey, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 23:701-8. 2004..Rejection is accompanied by oxidative stress that degrades membrane polyunsaturated fatty acids, evolving alkanes and methylalkanes, which are excreted in the breath as volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Petroleum ether extract of Cissus quadrangularis (LINN) stimulates the growth of fetal bone during intra uterine developmental period: a morphometric analysisBhagath Kumar Potu
Department of Anatomy, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 63:815-20. 2008..The aim of the present study was to analyze the effect Cissus quadrangularis plant petroleum ether extract on the development of long bones during the intra-uterine developmental stage in rats...
- Chronic toxicity of a mixture of chlorinated alkanes and alkenes in ICR miceFun In Wang
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Agriculture, National Taiwan University, Taipei
J Toxicol Environ Health A 65:279-91. 2002The aim of this study was to determine the chronic toxicity of a mixture of chlorinated alkanes and alkenes (CA) consisting of chloroform, 1,1-dichloroethane, 1,1-dichloroethylene, 1,1,1-trichloroethane, trichloroethylene, and ..
- Very-long-chain secondary alcohols and alkanediols in cuticular waxes of Pisum sativum leavesMiao Wen
Department of Botany, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z4
Phytochemistry 67:2494-502. 2006..Based on the isomer compositions, the sequence of biosynthetic steps introducing the hydroxyl functions is discussed...
- Different effects of volatile anesthetics and polyhalogenated alkanes on depolarization-evoked glutamate release in rat cortical brain slicesH Eilers
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California San Francisco, 94143 0648, USA
Anesth Analg 88:1168-74. 1999..In the present study, we compared the effects of anesthetics and nonanesthetics (halogenated alkanes that disobey the Meyer-Overton hypothesis) on depolarization-evoked glutamate release...
- Functional analysis of alkane hydroxylases from gram-negative and gram-positive bacteriaTheo H M Smits
Institute of Biotechnology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH Honggerberg, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
J Bacteriol 184:1733-42. 2002..GPo12, were equipped with pGEc47 Delta B, which encodes all proteins necessary for growth on medium-chain-length alkanes (C(6) to C(12)), except a functional alkane hydroxylase. The third host was an alkB knockout derivative of P...
- Utilization of n-alkanes by a newly isolated strain of Acinetobacter venetianus: the role of two AlkB-type alkane hydroxylasesMimmi Throne-Holst
Department of Biotechnology, NTNU, 7491, Trondheim, Norway
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 72:353-60. 2006A bacterial strain capable of utilizing n-alkanes with chain lengths ranging from decane (C10H22) to tetracontane (C40H82) as a sole carbon source was isolated using a system for screening microorganisms able to grow on paraffin (mixed ..
- Verification of degradation of n-alkanes in diesel oil by Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain WatG in soil microcosmsAkio Ueno
Laboratory of Environmental Molecular Biology, Graduate School of Environmental Earth Science, Hokkaido University, Kita ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 060 0810, Japan
Curr Microbiol 52:182-5. 2006Degradation of n-alkanes in diesel oil by Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain WatG (WatG) was verified in soil microcosms...
- Isolation and functional analysis of cytochrome P450 CYP153A genes from various environmentsMitsutoshi Kubota
Marine Biotechnology Institute, Iwate, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:2421-30. 2005The cytochrome P450 CYP153 family is thought to mediate the terminal hydroxylation reactions of n-alkanes. We isolated 16 new P450 CYP153A genes (central region) from various environments such as petroleum-contaminated soil and ..
- Assessing the role of alkane hydroxylase genotypes in environmental samples by competitive PCRS Heiss-Blanquet
Département de Biotechnologie et Chimie de la Biomasse, Institut Francais du Petrole, Rueil Malmaison, France
J Appl Microbiol 99:1392-403. 2005..AlkB genotypes involved in the degradation of short-chain alkanes were quantified in environmental samples in order to assess their occurrence and ecological importance.
- Cytokinin receptors are involved in alkamide regulation of root and shoot development in ArabidopsisJosé López-Bucio
Instituto de Investigaciones Quimico Biologicas, Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolas de Hidalgo, Ciudad Universitaria, CP 58030 Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico
Plant Physiol 145:1703-13. 2007....
- Practical aspects of chemometrics for oil spill fingerprintingJan H Christensen
Department of Natural Sciences, Faculty of Life Sciences, Copenhagen University, Thorvaldsensvej 40, 1871 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
J Chromatogr A 1169:1-22. 2007....
- The structure activity relationship of discodermolide analoguesSimon J Shaw
Kosan Biosciences, Inc 3832 Bay Center Place, Hayward, CA 94545, USA
Mini Rev Med Chem 8:276-84. 2008..The majority of analogues have been generated via modification of the lactone region. This suggests that significant simplifications can be made in this region provided that the lactone moiety is maintained...
- NYU Lung Cancer Biomarker CenterWilliam N Rom; Fiscal Year: 2013..Exhaled breath predicted lung cancer with high AUC using combinations of alkanes measured in GC/MS...
- HEME PROTEIN REDUCTASESStephen G Sligar; Fiscal Year: 2012..for the oxygenation of a plethora of compounds, including cholesterol and steroid structures, long chain alkanes, aromatics, fatty acids, drugs, insecticides, pesticides, critical signaling molecules and carcinogen precursors...
- High-Spin Iron(IV)-oxo Complexes-True Mimics of Enzymatic Non-Heme IronAIDAN RICHARD MCDONALD; Fiscal Year: 2010..properties of Fe(IV)-oxo complexes, and detailed investigation of their reactivity properties with inert alkanes (e.g...
- Does Anesthetic Solubility Determine Receptor Specificity?ROBERT JOSEPH BROSNAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..To this end, we will study the relative NMDA antagonism of 2 homologous inhaled anesthetic hydrocarbons (alkanes) and 2 homologous injectable anesthetic hydrocarbons (propofol and its halogenated analogue) using pharmacologic ..
- Characterizing the structure of alkane hydroxylase (AlkB) and related diiron enzyRACHEL NAREHOOD AUSTIN; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Bacteria readily oxidize alkanes utilizing the metalloenzyme alkane hydroxylase (AlkB) and thus the actions of AlkB represent one of nature's best defenses against the environmental effects of ..
- Structural Elucidation, Synthesis and Study of the ChlorosulfolipidsChristopher D Vanderwal; Fiscal Year: 2013..The chlorosulfolipids, a family of stereochemically complex alkanes that display numerous chlorine-bearing stereogenic centers, represent one particularly intriguing class of ..
- A BREATH TEST FOR LUNG CANCERMichael Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2009..Volatile products of oxidative stress are generated in all tissues of the body and excreted in the breath as alkanes and methylated alkanes...
- Molecular Insight into Toxicant Degradation by Microbial CommunitiesGerben Zylstra; Fiscal Year: 2009..Many new genera and species have recently been described based on organisms isolated for the ability to degrade alkanes. The Kyrgyz Republic represents a region of the world with varied habitats ranging from high mountain deserts, ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY OF NATURAL PRODUCTSPappachan Kolattukudy; Fiscal Year: 1991Mechanism of biosynthesis of long chain alkanes, alkane diols, 3- hydroxy acids, methyl-branched acids, erythronolide, and wax esters will be elucidated by purification and characterization of the relevant enzymes from meibomian glands, ..
- EFFECTS OF GENERAL ANESTHETICS ON NICOTINIC MEMBRANESLeonard Firestone; Fiscal Year: 1991..The ability of a chemically and physically diverse group of general anesthetics (e.g. volatiles, alcohols, alkanes, inert gases, fluorinated gases, sterols, long chain alcohols and alkanes) to desensitize the receptor will be ..
- Resolutions in Branched Alkanes using Lipase in BeadsSTEVEN NEAU; Fiscal Year: 2002..The solvents are straight chain and methyl-branched alkanes to test the hypothesis that branching can enhance the activity and enantioselectivity of lipase...
- NORMAL SKIN LIPID METABOLISM & CORNIFICATION DISORDERSMary Williams; Fiscal Year: 1992..Some diseases are characterized by accumulation of very long chain (v.l.c.) n-alkanes, also found in normal skin...
- PATTERNED NEURONAL NETWORKSBruce Wheeler; Fiscal Year: 1991..silicon dioxide insulation with patterns of covalently bonded areas of high (diamines) and low (alkanes) adhesion...
- Butane metabolism in Pseudomonas butanovoraDaniel Arp; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Gaseous and liquid alkanes can serve as bacterial growth substrates. Alkane monooxygenases initiate the metabolism of alkanes by catalyzing the oxidation of the alkanes to alcohols...
- EXTENSION OF SOLUTION NMR TO 50 KDA PROTEINS AND BEYONDA Wand; Fiscal Year: 2000..Modest pressures ranging up to 50 bar will be required to liquefy these alkanes. Optical spectroscopy under pressure will be employed as a rapid assay...
- REACTIVE ALDEHYDE BIOMARKERS OF LIPID PEROXIDATIONSidney Nelson; Fiscal Year: 1992..the concentration of these lipid peroxidation products over time in rats and mice after the administration of hepatotoxic doses of halogenated alkanes, and after other treatments and conditions that are known to cause lipid peroxidation.
- NEW BIOMARKER OF BREAST CANCER IN BREATHMichael Phillips; Fiscal Year: 1999..Polyunsaturated fatty acids are converted to alkanes that are excreted in the breath or degraded by cytochrome p450 enzymes...
- NMR systems : 2 Bruker Avance 500 ConsolesAMOS SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2006..The areas of public health research include, among others, cancer, infectious diseases, neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, and heart and cardiovascular disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SYNTHESIS OF SPONGISTATIN ANTITUMOR AGENTSAMOS SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Design and Synthesis of HIV-1 Protease InhibitorsAMOS SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- SYNTHESIS OF CHLOROPEPTINS, GP120 CD4 BINDING INHIBITORSAMOS SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- VOLATILE MARKERS OF ORAL MALODOR IN THE BREATHMichael Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- VOLATILE MARKERS OF PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS IN THE BREATHMichael Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2006..Also, it could potentially reduce the mortality and morbidity caused by pulmonary TB. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NMR RELAXATION OF LIQUID CRYSTAL SYSTEMSCharles Wade; Fiscal Year: 1980..Deuterium NMR will be used to study dynamics in membranes, in cells, and in alkanes dissolved in model membranes.
- General Anesthetics and nAcCHOR Agonist AffinityDouglas Raines; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Agilent 5973 GC/MS SystemGARY MOLANDER; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our current lack of such instrumentation negatively affects the ability to carry out many of these studies. This critical capability, in the form of an instrument for everyday analysis, is urgently needed. ..
- ASSEMBLIES OF SELF COMPLEMENTARY STRUCTURESJulius Rebek; Fiscal Year: 2005..We also propose to synthesize new and larger capsules, especially those made up of many identical molecular subunits. ..
- STUDIES IN MOLECULAR RECOGNITIONJulius Rebek; Fiscal Year: 2010..These cavitands could allow the identification of genes whose expression is influenced by trimethylation of particular lysines of the histones. ..
- Catalytic Processes for Selective Organic SynthesisGARY MOLANDER; Fiscal Year: 2005..4) Carbometalation/cyclization reactions will be explored utilizing organochromium species. 5) Ligands and catalytic systems designed for asymmetric synthesis will be explored. ..
- Natural Product Leads for Drug DevelopmentKATHLYN PARKER; Fiscal Year: 2009..Molecular modeling will allow the design of candidates for more active drugs. Candidates will be evaluated in the squalene synthase assay. Collaborations for the medicinal chemistry components of the project have been arranged. ..
- STRATEGIES AND METHODS IN SYNTHESIS OF NATURAL PRODUCTSKATHLYN PARKER; Fiscal Year: 2003..During the period which corresponds to this proposal, we plan to apply our new methodology to the synthesis of deacetylravidomycin and kidamycin, representatives of the remaining two major classes. ..
- Ensemble coding in olfactory cortexDonald Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2006..This combination is ideally suited for the R21 mechanism. ..
- UMKC School of Dentistry Oral and Craniofacial BiologyJ Eick; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- New Methods for the Synthesis of Neurological AgentsLARRY OVERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..oryzae at 90 nM, suggesting potential antitumor activity. Because of the scarcity of these natural products from their natural sources, little biological evaluation has been carried out. ..
- PRACTICAL CHEMICAL SYNTHESIS OF COMPLEX ALKALOIDSLARRY OVERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- New Fluorous Tags for Combinatorial SynthesisMARVIN YU; Fiscal Year: 2002..For each of these fluorous tags, a series of homologs with variable number of fluorines will be synthesized for the use in fluorous mixture synthesis. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF FUSED HETEROCYCLIC COMPOUNDSAlbert Padwa; Fiscal Year: 2002..The generation of biologically active compounds by new synthetic methods remains an important part of both health related and chemical research. ..
- Force Field Development for Protein Absorption ModelingRobert Latour; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- RADICAL REACTIONS FOR NATURAL PRODUCTSDENNIS CURRAN; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- DEVELOPMENT OF LIGAND ASSISTED ASYMMETRIC SYNTHESESArun Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2001..Besides the broad range of scope and generality, this line of research will provide excellent opportunities to teach and train graduate and undergraduate students in the laboratory. ..
- Mechanistic Studies of Lipoic Acid SynthaseSquire J Booker; Fiscal Year: 2010..There is significant evidence that lipoic acid can be endogenously synthesized in mammalian cells, and that the inhibition of this pathway compromises cellular function and leads to death. ..
- Multivalency: Mechanisms and ApplicationsGeorge M Whitesides; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- DESIGN AND SYNTHESIS OF NONPEPTIDE PROTEASE INHIBITORSArun K Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research integrates organic synthesis, protein-ligand x-ray crystallography, molecular modeling and in-depth virus and cell-biological studies to design the next generation of HIV-1 protease inhibitors. ..
- Capillary Electrophoresis and Protein BiophysicsGeorge M Whitesides; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Epothilone Analogs by Partial Chemical SynthesisDavid Myles; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposed epothilone analogs with increased solubility will have a potentially competitive advantage for a $2 billion per year market for the treatment of breast, lung and ovarian cancers. ..
- Study of a New Class of Chiral Nucleophilic CatalystsVLADIMIR BIRMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ADRIAMYCIN-INDUCED MITOCHONDRIAL CARDIOMYOPATHYKendall Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- FLUOROUS METHODS FOR TRADITIONAL AND PARALLEL SYNTHESISDENNIS CURRAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..In short, the work will help to move the very young field of fluorous chemistry from infancy into childhood. ..
- Efficient synthesis of discodermolideGary Ashley; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Tools To Study Cell Motility and Ion ChannelsGeorge Whitesides; Fiscal Year: 2006..The work spans biology, microfabrication, and biophysics, and an important product of the research will be students broadly trained in biological and physical sciences. ..
- Characterization of Vesicular Monoamine TransportersARNOLD RUOHO; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Development of Etched Modified CapillariesJOSEPH PESEK; Fiscal Year: 2002..Microsolv Corporation will undertake a marketing plan to distribute the products for use by companies working in the targeted application areas. ..
- NRTI-induced Mitochondrial CardiomyopathyKendall Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Protein Identification by Nanogap Capacitor ArraysGabor Somorjai; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Sigma Receptor Structure /Function /K+ Channel ModulationARNOLD RUOHO; Fiscal Year: 2007..4 potassium channels and other protein partners. These experiments will be performed through the combined use of photoactivatable molecules, electrophysiology, and recombinant and fusion proteins. ..
- Open Tubular Capillary Electrochromatography/Mass SpectroscopyJOSEPH PESEK; Fiscal Year: 2007..This project focuses on providing a means for the analysis of complex samples found in clinical, biological and pharmaceutical applications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Purchase of a 600 MHz NMR Spectrometer with CryoprobeDENNIS CURRAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..This research often requires sophisticated NMR experiments on small samples, and the requested 600 MHz spectrometer will greatly expedite ongoing and planned work. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TUMOR REMISSION--TAXOL AND CLOSE ANALOGS VIA SYNTHESISLEO PAQUETTE; Fiscal Year: 2003..These include, but are not limited to, the 1-deoxy, D-homo-, 2-desmethyl, and 12-methylene derivatives, in addition to the D-ring invertomer and the C-nor isomer. ..
- Fluorous Quantitative ProteomicsMARVIN YU; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Microbial metabolism of aliphatic alkenes & epoxidesSCOTT ENSIGN; Fiscal Year: 2008..We intend to further our work on the central roles of carboxylation and novel cofactors/enzymes in bacterial hydrocarbon/epoxide/ketone metabolism by pursuing the biochemical, structural, and genetic characterization of these processes. ..
- CHEMICAL CONTROL OF SOCIAL BEHAVIORMichael Greene; Fiscal Year: 2003..This purpose of this research is to provide data that will add to understanding of the basic rules operating behind complex biological systems. ..