Genomes and Genes
Summary: A stable, non-explosive inhalation anesthetic, relatively free from significant side effects.
Publications372 found, 100 shown here
- The inhalation anesthetic isoflurane increases levels of proinflammatory TNF-α, IL-6, and IL-1βXu Wu
Geriatric Anesthesia Research Unit, Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129 2060, USA
Neurobiol Aging 33:1364-78. 2012..We therefore set out to determine the effects of the common anesthetic isoflurane on the levels of tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α, interleukin (IL)-6, and IL-1β, the proinflammatory cytokines, ..
- The common inhalation anesthetic isoflurane induces apoptosis and increases amyloid beta protein levelsZhongcong Xie
Genetics and Aging Research Unit, MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129 4404, USA
Anesthesiology 104:988-94. 2006The common inhalation anesthetic isoflurane has previously been reported to enhance the aggregation and cytotoxicity of the Alzheimer disease-associated amyloid beta protein (Abeta), the principal peptide component of cerebral beta-..
- Early exposure to common anesthetic agents causes widespread neurodegeneration in the developing rat brain and persistent learning deficitsVesna Jevtovic-Todorovic
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
J Neurosci 23:876-82. 2003..7-d-old infant rats a combination of drugs commonly used in pediatric anesthesia (midazolam, nitrous oxide, and isoflurane) in doses sufficient to maintain a surgical plane of anesthesia for 6 hr, and have observed that this causes ..
- Protection by remote ischemic preconditioning during coronary artery bypass graft surgery with isoflurane but not propofol - a clinical trialE Kottenberg
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 56:30-8. 2012..Specifically, we hypothesized that RIPC during isoflurane anesthesia attenuates myocardial injury in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery, and ..
- Isoflurane protects against renal ischemia and reperfusion injury and modulates leukocyte infiltration in miceH Thomas Lee
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY 10032 3784, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 293:F713-22. 2007..In this study, we wanted to determine whether the volatile anesthetic isoflurane protects against renal IR injury by producing anti-inflammatory effects in mice...
- Isoflurane attenuates blood-brain barrier disruption in ipsilateral hemisphere after subarachnoid hemorrhage in miceOrhan Altay
Department of Physiology, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Risley Hall, Room 223, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Stroke 43:2513-6. 2012We examined effects of isoflurane, volatile anesthetics, on blood-brain barrier disruption in the endovascular perforation model of subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) in mice.
- Effects of fetal exposure to isoflurane on postnatal memory and learning in ratsYujuan Li
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania, 305 John Morgan Building, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neuropharmacology 53:942-50. 2007In a maternal fetal rat model, we investigated the behavioral and neurotoxic effects of fetal exposure to isoflurane. Pregnant rats at gestational day 21 were anesthetized with 1.3% isoflurane for 6h...
- Synergy of isoflurane preconditioning and propofol postconditioning reduces myocardial reperfusion injury in patientsZhiyong Huang
Department of Anesthesia, Sun Yat sen Cardiovascular Hospital, Shenzhen, People s Republic of China
Clin Sci (Lond) 121:57-69. 2011Either isoflurane preconditioning or high-dose propofol treatment has been shown to attenuate myocardial IRI (ischaemia/reperfusion injury) in patients undergoing CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) surgery...
- Isoflurane anesthesia induced persistent, progressive memory impairment, caused a loss of neural stem cells, and reduced neurogenesis in young, but not adult, rodentsChanglian Zhu
Center for Brain Repair and Rehabilitation, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 30:1017-30. 2010b>Isoflurane and related anesthetics are widely used to anesthetize children, ranging from premature babies to adolescents...
- Isoflurane alters the structure and dynamics of GLICDan Willenbring
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Biophys J 101:1905-12. 2011..we performed multiple molecular dynamics simulations in the presence and absence of the general anesthetic isoflurane. Isoflurane bound to several locations within GLIC, including the transmembrane pocket identified ..
- The mitochondrial pathway of anesthetic isoflurane-induced apoptosisYiying Zhang
Geriatric Anesthesia Research Unit, Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Aging Research Unit, MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129 2060, USA
J Biol Chem 285:4025-37. 2010The common inhalation anesthetic isoflurane has been shown to induce apoptosis, which then leads to accumulation of beta-amyloid protein, the hallmark feature of Alzheimer disease neuropathogenesis...
- The inhalation anesthetic isoflurane induces a vicious cycle of apoptosis and amyloid beta-protein accumulationZhongcong Xie
Genetics and Aging Research Unit, MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129 2060, USA
J Neurosci 27:1247-54. 2007The anesthetic isoflurane has been reported to induce apoptosis and increase Abeta generation and aggregation. However, the molecular mechanism underlying these effects remains unknown...
- Comparison of the neuroapoptotic properties of equipotent anesthetic concentrations of desflurane, isoflurane, or sevoflurane in neonatal miceGeorge K Istaphanous
Department of Anesthesia, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Anesthesiology 114:578-87. 2011..Neuronal cell death after prolonged exposure to isoflurane in developing animals has raised serious concerns regarding its safe use in children...
- Evaluation of the isoflurane-sparing effects of lidocaine and fentanyl during surgery in dogsPaulo V M Steagall
Department of Veterinary Surgery and Anesthesiology, School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Sao Paulo State University, Botucatu, SP 18618 000, Brazil
J Am Vet Med Assoc 229:522-7. 2006To evaluate the isoflurane-sparing effects of lidocaine and fentanyl administered by constant rate infusion (CRI) during surgery in dogs.
- Isoflurane causes greater neurodegeneration than an equivalent exposure of sevoflurane in the developing brain of neonatal miceGe Liang
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Anesthesiology 112:1325-34. 2010We hypothesized that isoflurane has a greater potency to induce neurodegeneration than sevoflurane in the developing brains of neonatal mice based on our previous studies in cell culture.
- Dynamic causal models and physiological inference: a validation study using isoflurane anaesthesia in rodentsRosalyn J Moran
Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e22790. 2011..on excitatory and inhibitory synaptic transmission, using different doses of a volatile anaesthetic agent (isoflurane) to parametrically modify excitatory and inhibitory synaptic processing while recording local field potentials (..
- Dual effects of isoflurane on proliferation, differentiation, and survival in human neuroprogenitor cellsXuli Zhao
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Anesthesiology 118:537-49. 2013Previous studies have demonstrated that isoflurane can provide both neuroprotection and neurotoxicity in various tissue culture models and in rodent developing brains...
- Preconditioning with isoflurane produces dose-dependent neuroprotection via activation of adenosine triphosphate-regulated potassium channels after focal cerebral ischemia in ratsLize Xiong
Department of Anesthesiology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi, China
Anesth Analg 96:233-7, table of contents. 2003In this study, we determined whether repeated brief isoflurane (Iso) anesthesia induces ischemic tolerance to focal cerebral ischemia in a dose-response manner and whether the effect is dependent on adenosine triphosphate-regulated ..
- Effect of hypercarbia and isoflurane on brain cell death and neurocognitive dysfunction in 7-day-old ratsGreg Stratmann
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Car, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Anesthesiology 110:849-61. 2009..The authors therefore tested if cell death caused by various durations of isoflurane at 1 minimum alveolar concentration causes duration-dependent long-term neurocognitive dysfunction.
- Isoflurane posttreatment reduces neonatal hypoxic-ischemic brain injury in rats by the sphingosine-1-phosphate/phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase/Akt pathwayYilin Zhou
Department of Anesthesiology, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, Calif 92354, USA
Stroke 41:1521-7. 2010b>Isoflurane, administered before or during cerebral ischemia, has been shown to exhibit neuroprotection in animal models of ischemic stroke. However, the underlying mechanism remains to be elucidated...
- Isoflurane anaesthesia reversibly improves cognitive function and long-term potentiation (LTP) via an up-regulation in NMDA receptor 2B subunit expressionGerhard Rammes
Department of Anaesthesiology, Technische Universitat Munchen, D 81675 Munich, Germany
Neuropharmacology 56:626-36. 2009..This study investigates the effects of isoflurane anaesthesia on cognitive performance and cellular mechanisms involved in learning and memory function...
- Anesthetic propofol attenuates the isoflurane-induced caspase-3 activation and Aβ oligomerizationYiying Zhang
Geriatric Anesthesia Research Unit, Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e27019. 2011..The inhalation anesthetic isoflurane has been shown to induce caspase activation and increase Aβ accumulation...
- The effects of neonatal isoflurane exposure in mice on brain cell viability, adult behavior, learning, and memoryAndreas W Loepke
Department of Anesthesia, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
Anesth Analg 108:90-104. 2009Volatile anesthetics, such as isoflurane, are widely used in infants and neonates...
- Long-term impairment of acquisition of a spatial memory task following isoflurane-nitrous oxide anesthesia in ratsDeborah J Culley
Department of Anesthesia, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Anesthesiology 100:309-14. 2004The authors demonstrated previously that isoflurane-nitrous oxide anesthesia attenuates performance improvement on an already-learned spatial memory task and that the effect persists for weeks...
- Isoflurane induces hippocampal cell injury and cognitive impairments in adult ratsDaowei Lin
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Neuropharmacology 61:1354-9. 2011..has been shown that interleukin-1β (IL-1β) contributes to the cognitive impairment of mice after surgery and isoflurane anesthesia...
- Relationship between neural, vascular, and BOLD signals in isoflurane-anesthetized rat somatosensory cortexKazuto Masamoto
Department of Radiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15203, USA
Cereb Cortex 17:942-50. 2007..To develop a survival fMRI protocol, an isoflurane (ISO) -anesthetized rat model was systematically evaluated by simultaneous measurements of field potential (FP) ..
- Inhaled anesthetic enhancement of amyloid-beta oligomerization and cytotoxicityRoderic G Eckenhoff
Department of Anesthesia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4283, USA
Anesthesiology 101:703-9. 2004..The authors hypothesize that inhaled anesthetics contribute to these effects through a durable enhancement of peptide oligomerization...
- Multiple binding sites for the general anesthetic isoflurane identified in the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor transmembrane domainGrace Brannigan
Institute for Computational and Molecular Science, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14122-7. 2010An extensive search for isoflurane binding sites in the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) and the proton gated ion channel from Gloebacter violaceus (GLIC) has been carried out based on molecular dynamics (MD) simulations in fully ..
- Anesthetics isoflurane and desflurane differently affect mitochondrial function, learning, and memoryYiying Zhang
Geriatric Anesthesia Research Unit, Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, USA
Ann Neurol 71:687-98. 2012..The inhalation anesthetic isoflurane, but not desflurane, has been shown to induce caspase activation and apoptosis, which are part of AD ..
- Isoflurane differentially affects neurogenesis and long-term neurocognitive function in 60-day-old and 7-day-old ratsGreg Stratmann
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Anesthesiology 110:834-48. 2009..Postnatal hippocampal neurogenesis affects hippocampal function into adulthood; therefore, the authors tested the hypothesis that isoflurane affects long-term neurocognitive function via an effect on dentate gyrus neurogenesis.
- Dexmedetomidine attenuates isoflurane-induced neurocognitive impairment in neonatal ratsRobert D Sanders
Department of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Imperial College London, London, UK
Anesthesiology 110:1077-85. 2009..signaling plays a trophic role during development and is neuroprotective in several settings of neuronal injury, the authors investigated whether dexmedetomidine could provide functional protection against isoflurane-induced injury.
- The common inhalation anesthetic isoflurane induces caspase activation and increases amyloid beta-protein level in vivoZhongcong Xie
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Ann Neurol 64:618-27. 2008..The commonly used inhalation anesthetic isoflurane has previously been reported to induce apoptosis, and to increase levels and aggregation of Alzheimer's disease-..
- A presenilin-1 mutation renders neurons vulnerable to isoflurane toxicityGe Liang
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Anesth Analg 106:492-500, table of contents. 2008b>Isoflurane, a commonly used inhaled anesthetic, induces apoptosis in rat pheochromocytoma neurosecretory cells (PC12) in a concentration- and time-dependent manner via an as yet unknown mechanism...
- Effects of isoflurane and enflurane on GABAA and glycine receptors contribute equally to depressant actions on spinal ventral horn neurones in ratsC Grasshoff
Experimental Anaesthesiology Section, Department of Anaesthesiology University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Br J Anaesth 97:687-94. 2006..As GABAA and glycine receptors are potential candidates we investigated the impact of both receptor systems in mediating the depressant effects of isoflurane and enflurane on spinal neurones in rats.
- Comparison of emergence time in children undergoing minor surgery according to anesthetic: desflurane and sevofluraneJeong Min Kim
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Anesthesia and Pain Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 50 Yonsei ro, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 54:732-8. 2013..We undertook this study to determine which agents prompt less recovery time in pediatric patients undergoing minor surgery...
- Auditory cortical neuron response differences under isoflurane versus pentobarbital anesthesiaS W Cheung
W M Keck Center for Integrative Neuroscience, Department of Otolaryngology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0342, USA
Hear Res 156:115-27. 2001..properties of the middle layers of feline primary auditory cortex neurons to simple sounds were compared for isoflurane versus pentobarbital anesthesia in a within subject study control design...
- Isoflurane-induced neuroapoptosis in the neonatal rhesus macaque brainAnsgar M Brambrink
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
Anesthesiology 112:834-41. 2010Brief isoflurane anesthesia induces neuroapoptosis in the developing rodent brain, but susceptibility of non-human primates to the apoptogenic action of isoflurane has not been studied...
- Subanesthetic dose of isoflurane protects against zymosan-induced generalized inflammation and its associated acute lung injury in miceJinglan Mu
Department of Anesthesiology, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi Province, People s Republic of China
Shock 34:183-9. 2010..Volatile anesthetic isoflurane (ISO) is one of the most widely used anesthetic agents, and ISO anesthesia has been reported to improve the ..
- Isoflurane strongly affects the diffusion of intracellular metabolites, as shown by 1H nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy of the monkey brainJulien Valette
Commissariat a l Energie Atomique, Service Hospitalier Frederic Joliot, Orsay, France
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 27:588-96. 2007b>Isoflurane is a volatile anesthetic commonly used for animal studies. In particular, diffusion nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy is frequently performed under isoflurane anesthesia...
- Isoflurane inhibits growth but does not cause cell death in hippocampal neural precursor cells grown in cultureJeffrey W Sall
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Anesthesiology 110:826-33. 2009b>Isoflurane causes long-term hippocampal-dependent learning deficits in rats despite limited isoflurane-induced hippocampal cell death, raising questions about the causality between isoflurane-induced cell death and isoflurane-induced ..
- A non-invasive intranasal inoculation technique using isoflurane anesthesia to infect the brain of mice with rabies virusValérie Rosseels
Rabies Laboratory, Communicable and Infectious Diseases, Scientific Institute of Public Health, Brussels, Belgium
J Virol Methods 173:127-36. 2011..Administration of 25μl of virus as a drop on both nostrils under brief superficial isoflurane anesthesia (92μl/dm(3), recovery after 85 ± 1 0s) was the most effective to infect the brain and induced 100% ..
- Emulsified isoflurane preconditioning reduces lung injury induced by hepatic ischemia/reperfusion in ratsXin Lv
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgery Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Int J Med Sci 8:353-61. 2011To investigate whether emulsified isoflurane preconditioning could reduce lung injury induced by hepatic I/R in rats and its mechanism.
- Core and penumbral nitric oxide synthase activity during cerebral ischemia and reperfusionS Ashwal
Department of Pediatrics, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Calif 92354, USA
Stroke 29:1037-46; discussion 1047. 1998..The present studies examined the hypothesis that the distribution of cerebral injury after a focal ischemic insult is associated with the regional distribution of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) activity...
- Isoflurane postconditioning reduces ischemia-induced nuclear factor-κB activation and interleukin 1β production to provide neuroprotection in rats and miceHong Li
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Neurobiol Dis 54:216-24. 2013Application of isoflurane, a volatile anesthetic, after brain ischemia can reduce ischemic brain injury in rodents (isoflurane postconditioning)...
- Isoflurane anesthesia enhances the inhibitory effects of cocaine and GBR12909 on dopamine transporter: PET studies in combination with microdialysis in the monkey brainH Tsukada
Central Research Laboratory, Hamamatsu Photonics K K, 5000 Hirakuchi, Hamakita, Japan
Brain Res 849:85-96. 1999..inhibitors cocaine and GBR12909 on DAT and dopamine D(2) receptors were evaluated in the brains under awake and isoflurane-anesthetized monkeys using high-resolution positron emission tomography (PET) in combination with microdialysis...
- The volatile anesthetic isoflurane induces ecto-5'-nucleotidase (CD73) to protect against renal ischemia and reperfusion injuryMihwa Kim
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, Anesthesiology Research Laboratories, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Kidney Int 84:90-103. 2013The volatile anesthetic isoflurane protects against renal ischemia and reperfusion injury by releasing renal tubular TGF-β1...
- Neonatal desflurane exposure induces more robust neuroapoptosis than do isoflurane and sevoflurane and impairs working memoryMitsuyoshi Kodama
Department of Anesthesiology, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Saitama, Japan
Anesthesiology 115:979-91. 2011..In animal models, neonatal exposure to volatile anesthetics induces neuroapoptosis, leading to memory deficits in adulthood. However, effects of neonatal exposure to desflurane are largely unknown...
- Isoflurane induces learning impairment that is mediated by interleukin 1β in rodentsLin Cao
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e51431. 2012..It is conceivable that volatile anesthetics may contribute to postoperative cognitive decline. Isoflurane can impair cognitive functions of animals under certain conditions...
- Sevoflurane and isoflurane preconditioning provides neuroprotection by inhibition of apoptosis-related mRNA expression in a rat model of focal cerebral ischemiaNurdan Bedirli
Department of Anesthesiology, Gazi University Medical School, Ankara, Turkey
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 24:336-44. 2012This study aimed to examine the effects of sevoflurane or isoflurane preconditioning on cerebral ischemia/reperfusion-induced inflammation, oxidative stress, and lipid peroxidation and test the hypothesis that the underlining mechanism of ..
- Isoflurane late preconditioning against myocardial stunning is associated with enhanced antioxidant defensesG J Crystal
Section of Cardiology, Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Chicago, USA
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 56:39-47. 2012..Mn SOD, catalase, glutathione peroxidase, and glutathione peroxidase] plays a role in the delayed protection against myocardial stunning produced by isoflurane preconditioning (ISOPC). Findings were compared with late ischemic PC (IPC).
- Isoflurane delays the development of early brain injury after subarachnoid hemorrhage through sphingosine-related pathway activation in miceOrhan Altay
From the Departments of Physiology OA, yh, PS, HS, NHK, JT, JHZ, and Neurosurgery JHZ, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, CA
Crit Care Med 40:1908-13. 2012b>Isoflurane, a volatile anesthetic agent, has been recognized for its potential neuroprotective properties and has antiapoptotic effects...
- A sleep/wake circuit controls isoflurane sensitivity in DrosophilaBenjamin Kottler
Queensland Brain Institute, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Curr Biol 23:594-8. 2013..General anesthetics such as isoflurane abolish behavioral responsiveness in all animals, and in the mammalian brain, these diverse compounds probably ..
- The effect of prolonged anesthesia with isoflurane, propofol, dexmedetomidine, or ketamine on neural cell proliferation in the adult ratAvery Tung
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Anesth Analg 106:1772-7. 2008..To test this hypothesis, we investigated the effects of prolonged anesthesia with four different anesthetics on hippocampal cell proliferation in young and older rats...
- Isoflurane/nitrous oxide anesthesia induces increases in NMDA receptor subunit NR2B protein expression in the aged rat brainLana J Mawhinney
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Brain Res 1431:23-34. 2012..Three-month-old and 18-month-old male Fischer 344 rats were randomly assigned to receive 1.8% isoflurane/70% nitrous oxide (N(2)O) anesthesia for 4h or no anesthesia...
- Lidocaine attenuates cognitive impairment after isoflurane anesthesia in old ratsDaowei Lin
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia, 1 Hospital Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Behav Brain Res 228:319-27. 2012..Here, we showed that 18-month-old male Fisher 344 rats exposed to 1.2% isoflurane, a general anesthetic, for 2h had significant learning and memory impairments assessed at 2-4 weeks after ..
- Isoflurane protects human kidney proximal tubule cells against necrosis via sphingosine kinase and sphingosine-1-phosphate generationMihwa Kim
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY 10032 3784, USA
Am J Nephrol 31:353-62. 2010We previously showed that the inhalational anesthetic isoflurane protects against renal ischemia reperfusion injury in part via sphingosine kinase (SK)-mediated synthesis of sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P)...
- Isoflurane neurotoxicity is mediated by p75NTR-RhoA activation and actin depolymerizationBrian P Lemkuil
Department of Anesthesiology and Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92161 5085, USA
Anesthesiology 114:49-57. 2011The mechanisms by which isoflurane injured the developing brain are not clear. Recent work has demonstrated that it is mediated in part by activation of p75 neurotrophin receptor...
- Isoflurane enhanced hemorrhagic transformation by impairing antioxidant enzymes in hyperglycemic rats with middle cerebral artery occlusionQin Hu
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing, China
Stroke 42:1750-6. 2011Because the potential neuroprotective effect of isoflurane is controversial, we attempted to study whether isoflurane after treatment provides neuroprotection in a rat model of hyperglycemia-induced ischemic hemorrhagic transformation.
- The effects of isoflurane and desflurane on cognitive function in humansBin Zhang
Department of Anesthesia, Capital Medical University, Beijing, People s Republic of China
Anesth Analg 114:410-5. 2012The etiology of postoperative cognitive decline (POCD) remains to be determined. Anesthetic isoflurane, but not desflurane, may induce neurotoxicity. However, the functional consequences of these effects have not been assessed...
- Isoflurane inhibits cardiac myocyte apoptosis during oxidative and inflammatory stress by activating Akt and enhancing Bcl-2 expressionMarina Jamnicki-Abegg
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Anesthesiology 103:1006-14. 2005Volatile anesthetics attenuate apoptosis. The underlying mechanisms remain undefined. The authors tested whether isoflurane reduces apoptosis in cardiomyocytes subjected to oxidative or inflammatory stress by enhancing Akt and B-cell ..
- Age-related attenuation of isoflurane preconditioning in human atrial cardiomyocytes: roles for mitochondrial respiration and sarcolemmal adenosine triphosphate-sensitive potassium channel activityYasushi Mio
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Anesthesiology 108:612-20. 2008..Here, the impact of age on the role of two major effectors of APC, mitochondria and sarcolemmal adenosine triphosphate-sensitive potassium (sarcKATP) channels, in preconditioning of the human atrial myocardium were investigated...
- Desflurane preconditioning induces time-dependent activation of protein kinase C epsilon and extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 and 2 in the rat heart in vivoOctavian Toma
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Duesseldorf, Germany
Anesthesiology 101:1372-80. 2004..The present study investigated the time dependency of PKC-epsilon and ERK1/2 activation during desflurane-induced preconditioning in the rat heart...
- Subunit-specific effects of isoflurane on neuronal Ih in HCN1 knockout miceXiangdong Chen
Department of Pharmacology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
J Neurophysiol 101:129-40. 2009..used conventional HCN1 knockout mice to test directly the contributions of specific HCN subunits to effects of isoflurane, an inhalational anesthetic, on membrane and integrative properties of motor and cortical pyramidal neurons in ..
- Distribution of intranasal instillations in mice: effects of volume, time, body position, and anesthesiaD S Southam
Asthma Research Group and Firestone Institute of Respiratory Health, Department of Medicine, McMaster University, 50 Charlton Avenue E, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 4A6
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 282:L833-9. 2002..When using intranasal instillation, the relative distribution between the URT and LRT and the gastrointestinal tract is heavily influenced by delivery volume and level of anesthesia...
- Isoflurane preconditioning decreases myocardial infarction in rabbits via up-regulation of hypoxia inducible factor 1 that is mediated by mammalian target of rapamycinJacob Raphael
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia Health Sciences System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Anesthesiology 108:415-25. 2008..The authors tested whether anesthetic preconditioning with isoflurane is mediated via activation of the transcription factor hypoxia inducible factor 1 (HIF-1) and evaluated the role ..
- Isoflurane preconditioning activates HIF-1alpha, iNOS and Erk1/2 and protects against oxygen-glucose deprivation neuronal injuryQi Fang Li
Department of Anesthesiology, Shanghai Ninth People s Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, 639 Zhizaoju Road, Shanghai 200011, China
Brain Res 1245:26-35. 2008Preconditioning neurons with isoflurane, a commonly used volatile anesthetic in clinical practice, improves tolerance of subsequent ischemia in both intact animal models and in vitro preparations...
- Fatal isoflurane hepatotoxicity without re-exposureEnver Ihtiyar
Department of General Surgery, Osmangazi University Faculty of Medicine, 26480 Eskisehir, Turkey
Indian J Gastroenterol 25:41-2. 2006b>Isoflurane is less hepatotoxic than its predecessors, halothane and enflurane. We present a 68-year-old man who developed fulminant and fatal hepatic necrosis two days after open cholecystectomy done under isoflurane anesthesia...
- A comparison of the effect of total intravenous anaesthesia with propofol and remifentanil and inhalational anaesthesia with isoflurane on the release of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in patients undergoing open cholecystectomyJ J Ke
Department of Anesthesiology, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, Hubei Province, Peoples Republic of China
Anaesth Intensive Care 36:74-8. 2008..anaesthesia with propofol and remifentanil and group F received balanced inhalational anaesthesia with isoflurane. The plasma levels of tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), interleukin IL-6 and interleukin IL-10 were ..
- Isoflurane preconditioning ameliorates endotoxin-induced acute lung injury and mortality in ratsQi Fang Li
Department of Anesthesiology, Shanghai Ninth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Anesth Analg 109:1591-7. 2009The effects of isoflurane pretreatment on pulmonary proinflammatory cytokines and survival in severe endotoxin-induced acute lung injury (ALI) have not been studied systemically...
- Short-term memory impairment after isoflurane in mice is prevented by the α5 γ-aminobutyric acid type A receptor inverse agonist L-655,708Bechara J Saab
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Anesthesiology 113:1061-71. 2010..We postulated that inhibiting the activity of α5GABAA receptors during isoflurane anesthesia would prevent memory deficits in the early postanesthesia period.
- Postconditioning with isoflurane reduced ischemia-induced brain injury in ratsJeong Jin Lee
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 0710, USA
Anesthesiology 108:1055-62. 2008Preexposure of brain to isoflurane, a commonly used anesthetic, induces ischemic tolerance. This phenomenon is called isoflurane preconditioning...
- Isoflurane mimics ischemic preconditioning via activation of K(ATP) channels: reduction of myocardial infarct size with an acute memory phaseJ R Kersten
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin and the Zablocki Veterans Administration Medical Center, Milwaukee 53226, USA
Anesthesiology 87:361-70. 1997The authors tested the hypothesis that isoflurane directly preconditions myocardium against infarction via activation of K(ATP) channels and that the protection afforded by isoflurane is associated with an acute memory phase similar to ..
- Isoflurane and sevoflurane affect cell survival and BCL-2/BAX ratio differentlyHuafeng Wei
Department of Anesthesia, 305 John Morgan Building, 3620 Hamilton Walk, University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4283, USA
Brain Res 1037:139-47. 2005Depletion of calcium from the neuronal endoplasmic reticulum (ER) induces apoptosis. Isoflurane depletes calcium from sarcoplasmic reticulum (SR) of muscle, an analogue of ER in neurons, while sevoflurane maintains or increases SR calcium...
- Comparison of recovery profile after ambulatory anesthesia with propofol, isoflurane, sevoflurane and desflurane: a systematic reviewAnil Gupta
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Anesth Analg 98:632-41, table of contents. 2004..A second search strategy was used combining two of the words "propofol," "isoflurane," "sevoflurane," or "desflurane"...
- The effects of anesthetic agent and carrier gas on blood glucose and tissue uptake in mice undergoing dynamic FDG-PET imaging: sevoflurane and isoflurane compared in air and in oxygenJudith E Flores
Department of Biomedical Imaging, Genentech, 1 DNA Way MS 228, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Mol Imaging Biol 10:192-200. 2008We sought to identify an anesthetic regime that, unlike isoflurane in air, would maintain glucose homeostasis in mice undergoing Positron emission tomography (PET) imaging with 2-deoxy-2-[18F]fluoro-D: -glucose (FDG).
- Inhaled anesthetic modulation of amyloid beta(1-40) assembly and growthAnna Carnini
Steacie Institute of Molecular Sciences, National Research Council, 100 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, ON, Canada K1A 0R6
Curr Alzheimer Res 4:233-41. 2007..In this work we show that the inhaled anesthetics halothane (2-bromo-2-chloro-1,1,1-trifluoroethane) and isoflurane (1-chloro-2,2,2-trifluoroethyl difluoromethyl ether) also favor intermediate oligomers of amyloid beta(1-40), ..
- Inhibition of p75 neurotrophin receptor attenuates isoflurane-mediated neuronal apoptosis in the neonatal central nervous systemBrian P Head
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Anesthesiology 110:813-25. 2009..The authors hypothesized that anesthetics suppress tPA release from neurons, enhance p75 signaling, and reduce synapses, resulting in apoptosis...
- Comparison of alpha-chloralose, medetomidine and isoflurane anesthesia for functional connectivity mapping in the ratKathleen A Williams
Department of Radiology, Center for Biomedical Imaging, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10012, USA
Magn Reson Imaging 28:995-1003. 2010..and the cross-correlation-based connectivity maps from rats anesthetized with alpha-chloralose, medetomidine or isoflurane are presented using a high-temporal-resolution imaging sequence that ensures minimal contamination from ..
- Anesthetic-induced preconditioning: previous administration of isoflurane decreases myocardial infarct size in rabbitsB A Cason
University of California, San Francisco, Department of Anesthesia, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 94121, USA
Anesthesiology 87:1182-90. 1997..Because some pharmacologic effects of isoflurane are mediated by K(ATP) channels, the authors tested the hypothesis: Isoflurane administration, before myocardial ..
- Isoflurane preconditioning inhibited isoflurane-induced neurotoxicityHuafeng Wei
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania, 305 John Morgan Building, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Neurosci Lett 425:59-62. 2007The commonly used inhaled anesthetic isoflurane has been shown to be both neuroprotective and neurotoxic in various cell cultures and animal models. We hypothesize that, like cerebral ischemia, isoflurane is inherently neurotoxic...
- Isoflurane preconditioning improves short-term and long-term neurological outcome after focal brain ischemia in adult ratsL Li
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia, 1 Hospital Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Neuroscience 164:497-506. 2009b>Isoflurane preconditioning improved short-term neurological outcome after focal brain ischemia in adult rats...
- Spatio-temporal characteristics of low-frequency BOLD signal fluctuations in isoflurane-anesthetized rat brainSridhar S Kannurpatti
Department of Radiology, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Neuroimage 40:1738-47. 2008..the spatio-temporal characteristics of the resting state low-frequency fluctuations in fMRI-BOLD signal in isoflurane-anesthetized rats. fMRI-BOLD measurements at 9...
- Isoflurane-induced apoptosis: a potential pathogenic link between delirium and dementiaZhongcong Xie
Genetics and Aging Research Unit, MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129 4404, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:1300-6. 2006..The inhalation anesthetic isoflurane has been shown to enhance beta-amyloid protein (Abeta) oligomerization and generation, to potentiate the ..
- Toward a unified theory of narcosis: brain imaging evidence for a thalamocortical switch as the neurophysiologic basis of anesthetic-induced unconsciousnessM T Alkire
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Conscious Cogn 9:370-86. 2000....
- Hyperglycemia prevents isoflurane-induced preconditioning against myocardial infarctionFranz Kehl
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin and Zablocki VA Medical Center, Milwaukee, 53226, USA
Anesthesiology 96:183-8. 2002..The authors tested the hypothesis that acute hyperglycemia interferes with isoflurane-induced preconditioning in vivo.
- Isoflurane protects against myocardial infarction during early reperfusion by activation of phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase signal transduction: evidence for anesthetic-induced postconditioning in rabbitsPascal C Chiari
Departments of Anesthesiology, Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, The Medical College of Wisconsin, the Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Anesthesiology 102:102-9. 2005..The authors tested the hypothesis that isoflurane produces cardioprotection during early reperfusion after myocardial ischemia by a PI3K-dependent mechanism.
- Acceleration and persistence of neurofibrillary pathology in a mouse model of tauopathy following anesthesiaEmmanuel Planel
Axe Neurosciences, Centre hospitalier de l Universite Laval, Universite Laval, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
FASEB J 23:2595-604. 2009..We found that exposure to isoflurane at clinically relevant doses led to increased levels of phospho-tau, increased insoluble, aggregated forms of ..
- Impaired acquisition of spatial memory 2 weeks after isoflurane and isoflurane-nitrous oxide anesthesia in aged ratsDeborah J Culley
Department of Anesthesiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Anesth Analg 99:1393-7; table of contents. 2004Aged rats are impaired on a spatial memory task for at least 24-48 h after isoflurane-nitrous oxide anesthesia. In this study, we tested how long the impairment lasts and investigated the role of nitrous oxide...
- Xenon provides faster emergence from anesthesia than does nitrous oxide-sevoflurane or nitrous oxide-isofluraneT Goto
Department of Anesthesia, Teikyo University, School of Medicine, Ichihara Hospital, Chiba, Japan
Anesthesiology 86:1273-8. 1997..14). Therefore, we predicted that xenon would provide more rapid emergence from anesthesia than does N2O+isoflurane or N2O+sevoflurane of equivalent MAC.
- Comparison of isoflurane-, sevoflurane-, and desflurane-induced pre- and postconditioning against myocardial infarction in mice in vivoAndreas Redel
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, University of Wurzburg, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 234:1186-91. 2009..To induce APC, 1.0 MAC isoflurane (ISO), sevoflurane (SEVO) or desflurane (DES) was administered 30 min prior to CAO for 15 min...
- Isoflurane mediates protection from renal ischemia-reperfusion injury via sphingosine kinase and sphingosine-1-phosphate-dependent pathwaysMinjae Kim
Dept of Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology Research Laboratories, Columbia Univ, P and S Box 46 PH 5 630 West 168th St, New York, NY 10032 3784, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 293:F1827-35. 2007The inhalational anesthetic isoflurane has been shown to protect against renal ischemia-reperfusion (IR) injury. Previous studies demonstrated that isoflurane modulates sphingolipid metabolism in renal proximal tubule cells...
- Emulsified intravenous versus evaporated inhaled isoflurane for heart protection: old wine in a new bottle or true innovation?Eliana Lucchinetti
Anesth Analg 106:1346-9. 2008
- The effect of xenon on isoflurane protection against experimental myocardial infarctionJan H Baumert
Department of Anesthesiology, University Clinic, Aachen, Germany
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 23:614-8. 2009To investigate if the protective effects of xenon and isoflurane against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion damage would be additive.
- Comparison of systemic Listeria monocytogenes infection in esophageally inoculated mice anesthetized with isoflurane or pentobarbitalRobert Sahaghian
University of Wisconsin Madison, Veterinary Medicine, 2015 Linden Dr, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Lab Anim (NY) 38:126-30. 2009..study, they sought to evaluate the severity of systemic infection in inoculated mice that were anesthetized with isoflurane, an inhalational agent that is safer than pentobarbital and more commonly used for rodent anesthesia...
- Isoflurane via TGF-beta1 release increases caveolae formation and organizes sphingosine kinase signaling in renal proximal tubulesJoseph H Song
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, 630 West 168th St, New York, NY 10032 3784, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F1041-50. 2010We previously showed that the inhalational anesthetic isoflurane protects against renal proximal tubule necrosis via isoflurane-mediated stimulation and translocation of sphingosine kinase-1 (SK1) with subsequent synthesis of sphingosine-..
- Effects of heart rate and anesthetic timing on high-resolution echocardiographic assessment under isoflurane anesthesia in miceJian Wu
Shanghai Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Zhongshan Hospital and Institutes of Biomedical Sciences, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
J Ultrasound Med 29:1771-8. 2010..This study aimed to determine the effect of the optimal heart rate (HR) and anesthetic timing on echocardiographic reproducibility under isoflurane anesthesia.
- Effects of gestational isoflurane exposure on postnatal memory and learning in ratsFeijuan Kong
Department of Anesthesiology, Women s Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, China
Eur J Pharmacol 670:168-74. 2011A maternal fetal rat model was developed to study the effects of gestational isoflurane exposure on postnatal memory and learning and investigate the potential mechanisms. Pregnant rats at gestational day 14 were exposed to 1...
- Emulsified isoflurane preconditioning protects against liver and lung injury in rat model of hemorrhagic shockLei Zhang
Department of Anesthesiology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, China
J Surg Res 171:783-90. 2011b>Isoflurane has demonstrated protective effects against ischemia/reperfusion injury in some organs...
- Nitric oxide triggers delayed anesthetic preconditioning-induced cardiac protection via activation of nuclear factor-kappaB and upregulation of inducible nitric oxide synthaseChen Hsiu Chen
Department of Anesthesiology, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Shock 30:241-9. 2008..However, the signaling mechanisms that underlie this phenomenon remain unclear. Using isoflurane as a representative anesthetic, the present study tested the hypothesis that NO released after anesthetic-..
- Emergence and recovery in children after desflurane and isoflurane anaesthesia: effect of anaesthetic durationG R Nordmann
Department of Anaesthesia, Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, Bristol, UK
Br J Anaesth 96:779-85. 2006We hypothesized that increasing duration of inhalation anaesthesia is associated with slower emergence and recovery in children, and that this effect would be less marked with desflurane in comparison with isoflurane.
- Isoflurane and sevoflurane induce vasodilation of cerebral vessels via ATP-sensitive K+ channel activationH Iida
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Gifu University School of Medicine, Japan
Anesthesiology 89:954-60. 1998..contribution to volatile anesthetic-induced cerebral vasodilation, the effects of glibenclamide, an adenosine triphosphate-sensitive K+ channel blocker, on the cerebral vasodilation induced by isoflurane and sevoflurane were studied.
- Tumor NMR Images are Affected by AnestheticNatarajan Raghunand; Fiscal Year: 2006..images, using three commonly used anesthetic protocols: ketamine/xylazine/acepromazine, pentobarbital, and isoflurane, and one customized injectable anesthetic protocol: etomidate/fentanyl/midazolam...
- Potentiation of Glycine Receptors by EthanolLUIS GERARDO AGUAYO; Fiscal Year: 2010..Remarkably, it was shown that these sites did not participate in the modulation of GlyRs by propofol, isoflurane and long chain alcohols indicating a novel and selective new site for ethanol...
- Neonatal Anesthetic NeurotoxicityPiyush M Patel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Preliminary data from our laboratory indicate that the volatile anesthetic, isoflurane, reduces tPA release;this results in the preferential signaling of proBDNF through p75NTR, leading to JNK ..
- Role of Metallothioneins in Isoflurane-Preconditioning of neurons in vitro.Adam C Hall; Fiscal Year: 2010..a phenomenon whereby a prior exposure to clinical concentrations of commonly used inhaled anesthetics (including isoflurane) induces the production of endogenous protective proteins...
- Crosby_Gregory_Mechanisms of Post-Anesthetic CNS Dysfunction in AgingGregory Crosby; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have evidence that the volatile anesthetic isoflurane produces profound and persistent down-regulation of drebrin, an F-actin binding protein involved in formation of ..
- The geriatric surgical patient: stress, anesthetics, and functional outcomesStacie Deiner; Fiscal Year: 2012..This technique eschews the traditional use of inhalational gas (e.g. ether, isoflurane, sevoflurane) in favor of intravenous medications (total intravenous anesthesia, TIVA)...
- Perioperative Stroke and Cerebral Conditioning in the FemaleStephanie J Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2010..gender and estradiol-specific effects lead to a detrimental response in ARC female ischemic brain using a mouse isoflurane preconditioning (IsoPC) model...
- Mechanisms of anesthesia mediaited neurotoxicityHuafeng Wei; Fiscal Year: 2012Increasing evidence suggests that commonly used inhaled anesthetics, especially isoflurane, cause neuronal apoptosis in the developing brain, which is associated with memory loss and learning disabilities...
- Mechanisms of Renal Protection with Volatile AnestheticsH Thomas Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..We previously demonstrated that volatile anesthetics including isoflurane administered after renal ischemia protected against IR injury in part by the synthesis of transforming growth ..
- Anesthetic Sites in Transmembrance Peptides by NMRPei Tang; Fiscal Year: 2012..nAChR) transmembrane (TM) domains so that their different sensitivities to volatile anesthetics (halothane and isoflurane) can be understood on a structural basis;(2) to quantify the global dynamics of the (14)2(22)3 and (17)5 nAChR ..
- Does Anesthetic Solubility Determine Receptor Specificity?ROBERT JOSEPH BROSNAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..analogue) using pharmacologic methods we have piloted in studies measuring the contribution of NMDA by isoflurane at minimum alveolar concentration (MAC) in rats...
- ULTRASONIC INSTRUMENTATION FOR CARDIOVASCULAR STUDIESCraig J Hartley; Fiscal Year: 2012..5) Study coronary flow velocity waveforms and reserve and validate the use of isoflurane as a coronary vasodilator in several mouse models...
- Immunomodulatory mechanism of volatile anestheticsKoichi Yuki; Fiscal Year: 2013..In our preliminary experiments, we showed that L2 and M2 are functionally inhibited by isoflurane. Also L2, not M2 was inhibited by sevoflurane...
- Mechanism of neurological and cognitive side effects of sevoflurane anesthesia atAnatoly E Martynyuk; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using sevoflurane and isoflurane, two general volatile anesthetics that share a GABAA component of action, this proposal aims to test the above ..
- VOLATILE ANESTHETICS AND NEURONAL CALCIUMTHOMAS JOSEPH JOHN BLANCK; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will test this hypothesis by comparing the effects of tree VAs, isoflurane, halothane, and F3, with that of two structurally related molecules that fail to produce immobility (non-..
- Effects of general vs. regional anesthesia on infant neurodevelopment and apneaMary Ellen McCann; Fiscal Year: 2013..Studies in animal models provide compelling evidence that commonly used agents (e.g., isoflurane, midazolam, nitrous oxide) enhance neuronal cell death in the immature brain, in some studies at doses lower ..
- Volatile anesthetic alteration of neural precursor cell cycle and fate decisionsJeffrey W Sall; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our preliminary data show isoflurane decreases proliferation of NPCs both in vitro and in vivo and in rodents and we have observed a hippocampal ..
- Cellular Mechanisms of General Anesthetic Mediated NeurotoxicityDeborah J Culley; Fiscal Year: 2010..To test this hypothesis, we will use a few selected general anesthetic agents (ketamine, propofol, isoflurane) and a cell culture model that permits the maturity and differentiation state of the cells to be regulated and ..
- Neglected By The Evidence: The Intersection of Medical Complexity and DementiaLori A Daiello; Fiscal Year: 2013..residents with dementia, 2) to determine the extent to which cognitively impaired individuals who receive isoflurane general anesthesia during hip fracture repair experience greater post-operative cognitive and functional decline ..
- Volatile anesthetic effects on aging brainZhiyi Zuo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our preliminary study showed that isoflurane at a clinically relevant concentration impaired the learning and memory of old rats...
- Active Induction of Emergence from General AnesthesiaKen Solt; Fiscal Year: 2013..that pharmacological activation of dopaminergic and cholinergic arousal circuits during steady-state exposure to isoflurane produce distinct arousal states that are characterized by different behavioral and neurophysiological endpoints...
- General Anesthesia and Alzheimer's Disease NeuropathogenesisZhongcong Xie; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our recent research showed that the commonly used inhalational anesthetic isoflurane could induce caspase activation and apoptosis, which in turn increases generation of amyloid 2-protein (A2), the ..
- Discriminative stimulus effects of abused inhalantsKeith L Shelton; Fiscal Year: 2013..groups of mice to discriminate one of four different inhalants from air: toluene, 1,1,1-trichlroethane (TCE), isoflurane or nitrous oxide...
- Carbon monoxide exposure and anesthesia-induced neurotoxicityRichard J Levy; Fiscal Year: 2013..The experiments outlined in this proposal are aimed at determining the mechanism of CO-mediated inhibition of isoflurane-induced neuroapoptosis, identifying the neurologic consequences of simultaneous CO and isoflurane exposure in ..
- Anesthesia Toxicity in Neonatal Primate BrainJohn W Olney; Fiscal Year: 2013..both neurons and oligodendrocytes) induced by clinically relevant exposure to each of three anesthetic drugs (isoflurane, ketamine, propofol)...
- INHALATIONAL ANESTHETICS AND CORONARY VASOMOTIONJOHN SILL; Fiscal Year: 1992Effects of the anesthetics isoflurane, halothane, enflurane, and nitrous oxide upon epicardial coronary dimensions and coronary arteriolar tone will be studied in dogs and humans...
- Functional connectivity and spatiotemporal dynamics in unanesthetized rodentsShella D Keilholz; Fiscal Year: 2012..fcMRI data will be acquired in the awake rat, under isoflurane, and under medetomidine. Differences between connectivity in four functional networks will be examined...
- MYOCARDIAL ISCHEMIA INDUCED BY INHALED ANESTHETICSCHARLES BUFFINGTON; Fiscal Year: 1993..There is accumulating evidence that halothane and isoflurane, the major inhalation anesthetics in use today, differ in their effects on coronary vessels and platelets and ..
- The role of excitatory synaptic transmission in anesthetic induced amnesiaKurt T Laha; Fiscal Year: 2013..transmission also contributes in part or completely to amnesia induced by the widely used inhaled anesthetic isoflurane is unknown...
- Anesthetics, GABA and the Injured BrainDavid Warner; Fiscal Year: 2006..observations that volatile anesthetics potentiate GABAA receptors and bicuculline, a GABAA antagonist, reverses isoflurane protection in vitro...
- EFFECTS OF ANESTHESIA AND LOADING ON RESPIRATIONENID KAFER; Fiscal Year: 1980..the failure to examine the effects of clinically relevant inhalational anesthetics (halothane, enflurane and isoflurane) and the absence of neurophysiological studies on the effects of general anesthetics on the load adjustment ..
- Inhaled Anesthestic Modulation of Hippocampal CircuitsRobert A Pearce; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our previous studies showed that amnestic concentrations of isoflurane substantially alter synaptic function mediated by both excitatory A/-methyl-D-aspartate receptors (NMDA-Rs) and ..
- Development of fMRI Methods for NeuropharmacologyShi Jiang Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..rat brain produced by forepaw stimulation, a) Determine the dose effects of four anesthetic agents, halothane, isoflurane, alpha-chloralose and urethane, on the functional BOLD response...
- INFLUENCE OF ANESTHETICS ON ISCHEMIC MYOCARDIUMDavid Warltier; Fiscal Year: 1990..In this proposal, the effects of 3 volatile anesthetics (halothane, enflurane and isoflurane) and 2 narcotic agonists (fentanyl and sufentanil) on ischemic myocardium will be investigated in chronically ..
- SITES OF ANESTHETIC ACTION IN INHIBITORY RECEPTORSEric Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2002..alkane VAs appear to have a different site of action in these receptors, when compared to VA ethers, such as isoflurane and enflurane, or alcohol. This is consistent with data supporting multiple sites of VA action...
- ANESTHETIC MECHANISMS BY IN VIVO BRAIN IMAGINGFerenc Gyulai; Fiscal Year: 2004..This application for a isoflurane of the functional state of the GABAa-receptor (GABAA-R), as well as postsynaptic processes directly linked to ..
- Eliminating anesthesia confounds in experimental strokeThaddeus S Nowak; Fiscal Year: 2012..effectors of infarct expansion in both rats and humans, are particularly sensitive to confounding effects of isoflurane anesthesia...
- TRPA1 and General AnestheticsGerard P Ahern; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our previous data show that desflurane/isoflurane excites sensory nerves by selectively activating the "mustard-oil" receptor (TRPA1)...
- The neurotransmitter release machinery: a new target general anestheticsBRUCE HERRING; Fiscal Year: 2009..Although indirect, previous experiments performed in my lab have indicated that the GAs etomidate and isoflurane inhibit the neurotransmitter release machinery directly...
- SELECTIVE ANESTHETIC ACTIONS ON NMDA RECEPTORSHugh Criswell; Fiscal Year: 2002..currents from acutely dissociated neurons and neurons maintained in primary culture to examine the effect of isoflurane on NMDA receptor function...
- CEREBRAL ISCHEMIA--MINIMIZING DAMAGE DURING ANESTHESIADavid Warner; Fiscal Year: 1992..Physiologically stable rats will be anesthetized with specific doses of isoflurane, halothane, or pentobarbital with duration of anesthetic exposure carefully controlled...
- Anesthetics block neuronal voltage-gated Ca2+ currentsSLOBODAN TODOROVIC; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our preliminary results indicate that the volatile general anesthetics (VA) isoflurane and nitrous oxide (N2O;laughing gas) block slowly inactivating T-type Ca2+ currents and underlying burst of ..
- Role of Anesthetic Isoflurane in Alzheimer's Disease: In Vivo InvestigationZhongcong Xie; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): We have shown that the commonly used inhalant anesthetic isoflurane induces caspase activation and increases generation of Ab, the key component of senile plaques in Alzheimer's disease (AD) ..
- Volatile Anesthesic Inhibition of Ca2+ Release in AirwayGary Sieck; Fiscal Year: 2006Volatile anesthetics such as halothane, isoflurane and sevoflurane are potent bronchodilators. The long-term goal of the proposed research is to understand the mechanisms by which volatile anesthetics relax airway smooth muscle (ASM)...
- ANESTHETIC ACTION AND VIRUS REPLICATIONPaul Knight; Fiscal Year: 1992..The mechanism by which halothane, enflurane, or isoflurane affect viral macromolecular synthesis and maturation, especially protein synthesis and processing, will be ..
- MATERNAL ANESTHESIA AND FETAL CEREBRAL OXYGENATIONJames Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2003..However, relatively little is known about the effects of inhalational agents (e.g. isoflurane) upon fetal cerebral oxygen status. By extension, one could propose that regional techniques (e.g...
- EFFECTS OF INHALATIONAL ANESTHETICS ON REPRODUCTIONRobert Wharton; Fiscal Year: 1980..concentrations of the inhalational anesthetics, halothane, nitrous oxide, methoxyflurane, enflurane and isoflurane, adversely effect the reproductive processes...
- VASODILATION DURING ANESTHESIA: MECHANISM AND REVERSALDAVID LARACH; Fiscal Year: 1990..agonists and antagonists will be constructed in the presence and absence of HAs (halothane, enflurane, and isoflurane) at different concentrations. Experimental conditions will also be modified (e.g...
- NMR STUDY OF BRAIN FUNCTION AND METABOLISM IN ANESTHESIAAlice Wyrwicz; Fiscal Year: 1999..resonance project is proposed to study the influence of five fluorinated general anesthetics - halothane, isoflurane, desflurane and sevoflurane - on rabbit brain in vivo...
- ANESTHETIC ACTIONS AT GABA AND GLUTAMATE SYNAPSESM MacIver; Fiscal Year: 2004..and specific pharmacological probes to isolate the synaptic and molecular targets for three widely used agents: isoflurane, propofol and midazolam...
- SELECTIVE ACTIONS OF ISOFLURANE ON GABAA RECEPTORSRobert Mueller; Fiscal Year: 1999..Preliminary evidence indicates that low concentrations of isoflurane affect some, but not all, responses to GABA, providing a reasonable explanation for the differential effects of ..
- REBREATHING ABSORBER TO SPEED EMERGENCE FROM ANESTHESIAJOSEPH ORR; Fiscal Year: 2005..It shortened wake up times by an average of 14.5 minutes when isoflurane was used and 10.5 minutes when sevoflurane was used...
- CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR TARGETS OF GENERAL ANESTHETICSNeil Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2005..mechanisms of action of general anesthetics at both pre- and postsynaptic sites, with particular emphasis on isoflurane and propofol. The program consists of four projects linked together by a Scientific and Administrative Core...
- CEREBRAL ISCHEMIA--DAMAGE DURING ANESTHESIADavid Warner; Fiscal Year: 1999..We will first extend the halothane protection observation to a more commonly used anesthetic agent, isoflurane. Effects of both of these drugs on the frequency of spontaneous depolarizations and tissue PO2 in the focal ..
- Volatile anesthetics, calcium homeostasis and apoptosisHuafeng Wei; Fiscal Year: 2009..The immediate goal of the study is to investigate if isoflurane and sevoflurane interact with calcium homeostasis in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) differently, thus ..
- MAGNETIC RESONANCE INVESTIGATION OF ANESTHESIAAlice Wyrwicz; Fiscal Year: 1990..and noninvasively monitor the distribution of four fluorinated anesthetic agents (halothane, methoxyflurane, isoflurane and enflurane) in rabbit brain...
- SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN AND SURGICAL WOUND INFECTIONSDaniel Sessler; Fiscal Year: 2001..Patients undergoing elective colon resection under isoflurane anesthesia will be randomly assigned to 30 percent oxygen or 80 percent oxygen (balance nitrogen) ..
- CENTRAL BAROREFLEX MECHANISMS OF ANESTHETIC ACTIONMICHAEL ANDRESEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..The new proposed studies focus on the mechanisms by which isoflurane and propofol act within the BRX...
- ANESTHETIC DEPRESSION OF THE MYOCARDIUMThomas Blanck; Fiscal Year: 1993..and cardiac arrest have been observed in patients anesthetized with the anesthetics halothane, enflurane, and isoflurane. These volatile anesthetics (VA) are in wide clinical use today...
- VOLATILE ANESTHETIC INTERACTIONS WITH GABA-A RECEPTORSNeil Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will study the effects of isoflurane and halothane on GABA responses in the following mutant GABAA-Rs: a1b2g2, a1(S270H)b2g2, a1(S270W) b2g2 and a1(..
- ANESTHETIC EFFECTS ON VASCULAR CONTROL IN HYPERTENSIONTHOMAS STEKIEL; Fiscal Year: 2000..g., isoflurane modulates the activity of the VSM intrinsic membrane and intracellular components and extrinsic endothelial ..
- BRAIN AND SPINAL CORD CONTRIBUTIONS TO ANESTHETIC ACTIONJOSEPH ANTOGNINI; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our earlier studies indicated that anesthetics such as isoflurane depress the movement response that occurs following noxious stimulation via an action in the spinal cord...