- Triptolide and its expanding multiple pharmacological functions
National Key Laboratory of Medical Immunology and Institute of Immunology, Second Military Medical University, 800 Xiangyin Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Int Immunopharmacol 11:377-83. 2011
..Importantly, PG490-88 has been approved entry into Phase I clinical trial for treatment of prostate cancer in USA. This review will focus on these breakthrough findings of triptolide and its implications...
- Triptolide downregulates Rac1 and the JAK/STAT3 pathway and inhibits colitis-related colon cancer progression
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, The Fourth Military Medical University, Shaanxi Province 710032, China
Exp Mol Med 41:717-27. 2009
..This suggests that triptolide might be a candidate for prevention of colitis induced colon cancer because it reduces inflammation and prevents tumor formation and development...
- Treatment of db/db diabetic mice with triptolide: a novel therapy for diabetic nephropathy
Research Institute of Nephrology, Jinling Hospital, Nanjing University School of Medicine, Nanjing, China
Nephrol Dial Transplant 25:3539-47. 2010
..Herein, we investigated the therapeutic effects of triptolide on DN in db/db diabetic mice and studied the potential mechanisms...
- Molecular understanding and modern application of traditional medicines: triumphs and trials
Timothy W Corson
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
Cell 130:769-74. 2007
..Here, we highlight the challenges along this route, focusing on the compounds artemisinin, triptolide, celastrol, capsaicin, and curcumin...
- Triptolide: structural modifications, structure-activity relationships, bioactivities, clinical development and mechanisms
Zhao Li Zhou
Division of Antitumor Pharmacology, State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 555 Zuchongzhi Road, Zhangjiang Hi Tech Park, Shanghai, 201203, P R China
Nat Prod Rep 29:457-75. 2012
..This review will focus on the structural modifications, structure-activity relationships, pharmacology, and clinical development of triptolide in the last forty years...
- Medicinal chemistry and pharmacology of genus Tripterygium (Celastraceae)
Anita M Brinker
Biotechnology Center for Agriculture and the Environment, Foran Hall, Cook College, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 59 Dudley Road, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 8520, USA
Phytochemistry 68:732-66. 2007
..This review discusses the biochemical composition and biological and pharmacological activities of Tripterygium extracts, and their main bioactive components...
- Heat shock protein 70 inhibits apoptosis in cancer cells through simultaneous and independent mechanisms
Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Gastroenterology 136:1772-82. 2009
..We aimed to elucidate the mechanism by which HSP70 inhibits apoptosis in cancer cells...
- Potentiation of chemotherapeutic drugs by energy metabolism inhibitors 2-deoxyglucose and etomoxir
Department of Oncology Pathology, Karolinska Institute, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Cancer 123:476-83. 2008
..We also conclude that although the potentiated drugs as yet have no obvious mechanistic factor in common, the strategy holds promise with genotoxic as well non-genotoxic anticancer drugs...
- Triptolide inhibits Bcr-Abl transcription and induces apoptosis in STI571-resistant chronic myelogenous leukemia cells harboring T315I mutation
Department of Pathophysiology, Zhongshan School of Medicine, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Clin Cancer Res 15:1686-97. 2009
..In the present study, we investigated the effect of triptolide on cell survival or apoptosis in CML cells bearing Bcr-Abl-T315I or wild-type Bcr-Abl...
- Triptolide, an inhibitor of the human heat shock response that enhances stress-induced cell death
Sandy D Westerheide
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Cell Biology, Rice Institute for Biomedical Research, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Biol Chem 281:9616-22. 2006
..The ability of triptolide to inhibit the heat shock response renders these cells sensitive to stress-induced cell death, which may be of great relevance to cancer treatments...
- Inhibition of fatty acid metabolism reduces human myeloma cells proliferation
Jose Manuel Tirado-Vélez
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Universitario Puerta del Mar, Cadiz, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e46484. 2012
..In conclusion, inhibition of fatty acid metabolism represents a potential therapeutic approach to treat human multiple myeloma...
- Triptolide inhibits MDM2 and induces apoptosis in acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells through a p53-independent pathway
Department of Pediatrics, AFLAC Cancer and Blood Disorders Center, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 12:184-94. 2013
..These results suggest that increased inhibition of XIAP due to downregulation of MDM2 may play a critical role in triptolide-induced apoptosis in MDM2-overexpressing cancers...
- Triptolide therapy for neuroblastoma decreases cell viability in vitro and inhibits tumor growth in vivo
Mara B Antonoff
Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Surgery 146:282-90. 2009
..Our objectives were to assess the effectiveness of triptolide, an Hsp-70 inhibitor, in treating neuroblastoma in vitro and in vivo, and to measure the associated effects on Hsp-70 levels and apoptosis markers...
- Triptolide and chemotherapy cooperate in tumor cell apoptosis. A role for the p53 pathway
W T Chang
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305-5236, USA
J Biol Chem 276:2221-7. 2001
..Our data suggest that triptolide, by blocking p21-mediated growth arrest, enhances apoptosis in tumor cells...
- Triptolide induces caspase-dependent cell death mediated via the mitochondrial pathway in leukemic cells
Bing Z Carter
Section of Molecular Hematology and Therapy, Department of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030, USA
Blood 108:630-7. 2006
..The potent antileukemic activity of triptolide in vitro warrants further investigation of this compound for the treatment of leukemias and other malignancies...
- 5-Aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1-beta-D-ribofuranoside-induced AMP-activated protein kinase phosphorylation inhibits basal and insulin-stimulated glucose uptake, lipid synthesis, and fatty acid oxidation in isolated rat adipocytes
Mandeep Pinky Gaidhu
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, York University, Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3, Canada
J Biol Chem 281:25956-64. 2006
- Immunosuppressive and anti-inflammatory mechanisms of triptolide, the principal active diterpenoid from the Chinese medicinal herb Tripterygium wilfordii Hook. f
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Drugs R D 4:1-18. 2003
..Further characterisation of the molecular mechanisms of triptolide action will serve to elucidate pathways of immune system regulation...
- Triptolide induces pancreatic cancer cell death via inhibition of heat shock protein 70
Phoebe A Phillips
Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55488, USA
Cancer Res 67:9407-16. 2007
..Triptolide is a potential therapeutic agent that can be used to prevent the progression and metastases of pancreatic cancer...
- Enantioselective total synthesis of (+)-scuteflorin A using organocatalytic asymmetric epoxidation
Christopher J Bartlett
School of Chemistry, University of East Anglia, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, Norfolk NR4 7TJ, UK
J Org Chem 77:772-4. 2012
..We report the first enantioselective total synthesis of (+)-scuteflorin A in 14% overall yield, employing a chiral iminium salt to effect an organocatalytic asymmetric epoxidation of xanthyletin in >99% ee as the key step...
- Role of Hsp-70 in triptolide-mediated cell death of neuroblastoma
Mara B Antonoff
Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Surg Res 163:72-8. 2010
..The principal objective of this study was to investigate the role of Hsp-70 in triptolide-mediated cell death in neuroblastoma...
- Triptolide, histone acetyltransferase inhibitor, suppresses growth and chemosensitizes leukemic cells through inhibition of gene expression regulated by TNF-TNFR1-TRADD-TRAF2-NIK-TAK1-IKK pathway
Cytokine Research Laboratory, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 82:1134-44. 2011
..Overall, our results demonstrate that triptolide can block the inflammatory pathway activated by TNF-TNFR1-TRADD-TRAF2-NIK-TAK1-IKK, sensitizes cells to apoptosis, and inhibits invasion of tumor cells...
- The research on the anti-inflammatory activity and hepatotoxicity of triptolide-loaded solid lipid nanoparticle
Department of Chemistry and Life Science, South Central University of Nationalities, Wuhan 430074, PR China
Pharmacol Res 51:345-51. 2005
..The toxicity of TP-SLN to other tissues is under investigation...
- Triptolide-induced cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human renal cell carcinoma cells
Department of Pharmacology, Zhong Shan School of Medicine, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, PR China
Oncol Rep 25:979-87. 2011
..Therefore, triptolide emerges as a stimulator of apoptosis by influencing coordinate regulation of proliferation and apoptosis, and may be applicable to the treatment of human renal cell carcinoma...
- Triptolide induces cell death independent of cellular responses to imatinib in blast crisis chronic myelogenous leukemia cells including quiescent CD34+ primitive progenitor cells
Duncan H Mak
Section of Molecular Hematology and Therapy, Department of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 8:2509-16. 2009
- Triptolide ameliorates Crohn's colitis is associated with inhibition of TLRs/NF-κB signaling pathway
Department of General Surgery, Jinling Hospital, Medical School of Nanjing University, Nanjing, PR China
Fitoterapia 82:709-15. 2011
..These findings also support the possibility that targeted inhibition of TLR signaling pathway is an approach deserving further investigation as a therapeutic strategy for CD...
- Triptolide inhibits COX-2 expression and PGE2 release by suppressing the activity of NF-kappaB and JNK in LPS-treated microglia
Department of Neurobiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Peking University Health Science Center, Ministry of Education, Key Laboratory for Neuroscience, Beijing, China
J Neurochem 107:779-88. 2008
..Taken together, these results suggest that triptolide may suppress neuroinflammation via a mechanism that involves inactivation of two parallel signaling pathways: p38-NF-kappaB-COX-2-PGE(2) and JNK-PGE(2)...
- Analysis of hemoglobin adducts from acrylamide, glycidamide, and ethylene oxide in paired mother/cord blood samples from Denmark
Hans von Stedingk
Department of Materials and Environmental Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry Unit, Arrhenius Laboratory, Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Chem Res Toxicol 24:1957-65. 2011
..The evaluation of the new analytical method showed that it is suitable for monitoring of background exposures of the investigated electrophilic compounds in large population studies...
- Effect of triptolide on focal adhesion kinase and survival in MCF-7 breast cancer cells
Bee Jen Tan
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117543, Singapore
Oncol Rep 26:1315-21. 2011
..In conclusion, our data present the first evidence of triptolide-mediated induction of FAK cleavage that correlates with cell detachment and loss of adhesion potential to the extracellular matrix...
- Novel target genes responsive to the anti-growth activity of triptolide in endometrial and ovarian cancer cells
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, Oita, Japan
Cancer Lett 297:198-206. 2010
..We found a strong anticancer activity of TPL and identified some potential target genes of this drug, raising hopes that TPL may become a useful therapy for endometrial and ovarian cancers...
- Triptolide attenuate the oxidative stress induced by LPS/D-GalN in mice
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, and Model Animal Research Center MARC of Nanjing University, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
J Cell Biochem 113:1022-33. 2012
..These results showed that triptolide can effectively reduce the oxidative stress and partially rescue the damage in the liver induced by LPS/D-GalN...
- Dietary acrylamide exposure and hemoglobin adducts--National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2003-04)
N L Tran
E x ponent, Inc, Washington, DC 20036, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 48:3098-108. 2010
- Effects of cytochrome P4503A inducer dexamethasone on the metabolism and toxicity of triptolide in rat
Institute of Materia Medica, College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Toxicol Lett 192:212-20. 2010
..This suggested that TP might decrease nephrotoxicity induced by DXM. These studies indicated that DXM had significant impact on the metabolism and the toxicity of TP as a therapeutic agent...
- The telltale structures of epoxide hydrolases
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Drug Metab Rev 35:365-83. 2003
- Heat shock protein 72 protects kidney proximal tubule cells from injury induced by triptolide by means of activation of the MEK/ERK pathway
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi, 710032, China
Int J Toxicol 28:177-89. 2009
..Collectively, our results suggested that HSP72 plays a protective role by means of the MEK/ERK pathway, against triptolide-induced kidney injury...
- Triptolide-induced suppression of phospholipase D expression inhibits proliferation of MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells
Dong Woo Kang
Department of Molecular Biology, College of Natural Science, Pusan National University, Busan 609 735, Korea
Exp Mol Med 41:678-85. 2009
..Taken together, we demonstrate that triptolide suppresses the expression of PLD via inhibition of NFkappaB activation and then decreases cell proliferation...
- XPB, a subunit of TFIIH, is a target of the natural product triptolide
Denis V Titov
Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Nat Chem Biol 7:182-8. 2011
..These findings also suggest that triptolide can serve as a new molecular probe for studying transcription and, potentially, as a new type of anticancer agent through inhibition of the ATPase activity of XPB...
- Triptolide inhibits rat vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation and cell cycle progression via attenuation of ERK1/2 and Rb phosphorylation
Department of Cardiology, Ruijin Hospital, Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200025, China
Exp Mol Pathol 90:137-42. 2011
..In the present study, we investigated effects of triptolide on in-stent restenosis in vivo and in vitro, and study the biological mechanism of this drug...
- Role of triptolide as an adjunct chemotherapy for ovarian cancer
Suzanne D Westfall
Center for Reproductive Biology, School of Molecular Biosciences, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164 4231, USA
Chemotherapy 54:67-76. 2008
- Triptolide sensitizes lung cancer cells to TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)-induced apoptosis by inhibition of NF-kappaB activation
Kye Young Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Dankook University College of Medicine, Cheonan, Korea
Exp Mol Med 34:462-8. 2002
..These observations suggest that triptolide may be a potentially useful drug to enhance TRAIL-induced tumor killing in lung cancer...
- Triptolide overcomes dexamethasone resistance and enhanced PS-341-induced apoptosis via PI3k/Akt/NF-kappaB pathways in human multiple myeloma cells
Department of Hematology, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310003, People s Republic of China
Int J Mol Med 22:489-96. 2008
- Functional p53 is required for triptolide-induced apoptosis and AP-1 and nuclear factor-kappaB activation in gastric cancer cells
X H Jiang
Department of Gastroenterology, Rui-Jin Hospital, Shanghai, Peoples Republic of China
Oncogene 20:8009-18. 2001
..However, a functional p53 is required for these proapoptotic, anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor effects...
- Triptolide and TRAIL combination enhances apoptosis in cholangiocarcinoma
Kimberly A Clawson
Department of Surgery, Division of Basic and Translational Research, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Surg Res 163:244-9. 2010
..The principal objective of this study was to determine the effects of combination therapy with TRAIL and triptolide in cholangiocarcinoma...
- Triptolide simultaneously induces reactive oxygen species, inhibits NF-kappaB activity and sensitizes 5-fluorouracil in colorectal cancer cell lines
Research Institute in Healthcare Science, School of Applied Sciences, University of Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton WV1 1SB, UK
Cancer Lett 291:200-8. 2010
..PG490 and 5-FU treatment induced activated caspase 3 and Bax expression and inhibited Bcl-2 expression. PG490 simultaneously induced generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and inhibited NF-kappaB transcriptional activity...
- RNA-mediated sequestration of the RNA helicase eIF4A by Pateamine A inhibits translation initiation
Marie Eve Bordeleau
Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, McIntyre Medical Sciences Building, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1Y6, Canada
Chem Biol 13:1287-95. 2006
..We demonstrate that Pateamine A is a chemical inducer of dimerization that forces an engagement between eIF4A and RNA and prevents eIF4A from participating in the ribosome-recruitment step of translation initiation...
- Triptolide impairs dendritic cell migration by inhibiting CCR7 and COX-2 expression through PI3-K/Akt and NF-kappaB pathways
Institute of Immunology and National Key Laboratory of Medical Immunology, Second Military Medical University, 800 Xiangyin Road, Shanghai 200433, PR China
Mol Immunol 44:2686-96. 2007
..Therefore, inhibition of DC migration through decreasing COX-2 and CCR7 expression via PI3-K/Akt and NF-kappaB signal pathways provides additional mechanistic explanation for triptolide's immunosuppressive effect...
- Oral administration of triptolide ameliorates the clinical signs of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) by induction of HSP70 and stabilization of NF-kappaB/IkappaBalpha transcriptional complex
Biotech Center, SEBS, Rutgers University, 59 Dudley Road, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
J Neuroimmunol 217:28-37. 2009
..These effects might be explained by the increase in Hsp70 levels driven by triptolide and stabilization of the NF-kappaB/IkappaBalpha complex leading to an attenuated inflammatory response...
- Eukaryotic initiation factor 2alpha-independent pathway of stress granule induction by the natural product pateamine A
Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences, Solomon H Snyder Department of Neuroscience, and Department of Oncology, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Biol Chem 281:32870-8. 2006
- Pharmacokinetic study of triptolide, a constituent of immunosuppressive chinese herb medicine, in rats
Key Laboratory of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, China Pharmaceutical University, China
Biol Pharm Bull 30:702-7. 2007
..It was indicated that triptolide was metabolized extensively, eliminated rapidly, and also showed that the toxicity produced by the triptolide was lag behind the exposure concentration...
- Triptolide inhibits amyloid-beta1-42-induced TNF-alpha and IL-1beta production in cultured rat microglia
Neuroscience Research Institute and Department of Neurobiology, Peking University, Key Laboratory for Neuroscience of the Ministry of Education, 38 Xueyuan Road, Beijing 100083, PR China
J Neuroimmunol 205:32-6. 2008
..Our results showed that oligomeric Abeta played an important role in mediating neuroinflammation and triptolide was able to suppress the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines from microglia...
- Synergistic effect of triptolide combined with 5-fluorouracil on colon carcinoma
Xiao Yan Tang
Department of Gastroenterology, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei Province, China
Postgrad Med J 83:338-43. 2007
..To investigate the inhibitive effects of triptolide (TPL) combined with 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) on colon carcinoma HT-29 cells in vitro and in vivo and their side effects...
- Identification of triptolide, a natural diterpenoid compound, as an inhibitor of lung inflammation
Gary W Hoyle
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, School of Public Health and Information Sciences, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 298:L830-6. 2010
..The results demonstrate that triptolide exhibits anti-inflammatory activity in cultured lung cells and in an in vivo model of acute lung injury...
- Sex differences in subacute toxicity and hepatic microsomal metabolism of triptolide in rats
Jiangsu Center of Drug Screening, China Pharmaceutical University, 24 Tong Jia Xiang, Nanjing 210038, China Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Yangzhou University, Yangzhou 225001, China
Toxicology 271:57-63. 2010
..Results suggested that CYP3A2 made an important contribution to the sex-related metabolism of triptolide, which may result in the sex differences in triptolide toxicity...
- Triptolide inactivates Akt and induces caspase-dependent death in cervical cancer cells via the mitochondrial pathway
Min Jung Kim
Shinsegae Women s Hospital, Busan, Korea
Int J Oncol 37:1177-85. 2010
..These findings show that triptolide induces caspase-dependent, mitochondria-mediated apoptosis in cervical cancer cells, in part, by negatively regulating Akt and Mcl-1...
- Biologic activity of triptolide in t(8;21) acute myeloid leukemia cells
Gui sheng Zhou
Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis and Targeted Therapy for Cancer, Guangzhou Institute of Biomedicine and Health and State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
Leuk Res 35:214-8. 2011
..Triptolide downregulates p65 and inhibits the DNA-binding activity of NF-κB. Our data indicate that triptolide might be an effective agent for t(8;21) leukemia...
- Triptolide induces Bcl-2 cleavage and mitochondria dependent apoptosis in p53-deficient HL-60 cells
Chi Keung Wan
Department of Biology and Chemistry, Bioactive Products Research Group, City University of Hong Kong, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, China
Cancer Lett 241:31-41. 2006
- Triptolide, a novel diterpenoid triepoxide from Tripterygium wilfordii Hook. f., suppresses the production and gene expression of pro-matrix metalloproteinases 1 and 3 and augments those of tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases 1 and 2 in human synovial
Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Beijing
Arthritis Rheum 44:2193-200. 2001
..Triptolide's interference with gene expression of proinflammatory cytokines and its known inhibitory effects on PGE2 production are also probably very effective...
- PG490-88, a derivative of triptolide, causes tumor regression and sensitizes tumors to chemotherapy
John M Fidler
Pharmagenesis, Inc, Palo Alto, CA, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 2:855-62. 2003
..Our findings that PG490-88 causes tumor regression and that it acts in synergy with DNA-damaging chemotherapeutic agents suggest a role as an antineoplastic agent and chemosensitizer for the treatment of patients with solid tumors...
- Triptolide is an inhibitor of RNA polymerase I and II-dependent transcription leading predominantly to down-regulation of short-lived mRNA
Centre de Recherche en Oncologie Expérimentale, Institut de Recherche Pierre Fabre, 3 rue des Satellites, BP94244, Toulouse Cedex 4, 31432 France
Mol Cancer Ther 8:2780-90. 2009
..Overall, the data shed light on the effect of triptolide on transcription, along with its novel potential applications in cancers, including acute myeloid leukemia, which is in part driven by the aforementioned oncogenic factors...
- Highly enantioselective epoxidation of alpha, beta-unsaturated esters by chiral dioxirane
Xin Yan Wu
Department of Chemistry, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Am Chem Soc 124:8792-3. 2002
..High ee's have been obtained for a number of trans and trisubstituted substrates (82-98% ee). The results described show that it is feasible for dioxiranes to effectively epoxidize electron-deficient olefins with high ee's...
- Methionine aminopeptidases type I and type II are essential to control cell proliferation
Sylvie G Bernier
Department of Preclinical Research, Praecis Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, Waltham, Massachusetts 02451, USA
J Cell Biochem 95:1191-203. 2005
..These results suggest that MetAP-1 and MetAP-2 have essential functions in the control of mammalian cell proliferation and that MetAP-dependent growth control is evolutionarily highly conserved...
- Triptolide (TPL) inhibits global transcription by inducing proteasome-dependent degradation of RNA polymerase II (Pol II)
Department of Pharmacology, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e23993. 2011
- Pramanicin induces apoptosis in Jurkat leukemia cells: a role for JNK, p38 and caspase activation
Biological Sciences and Bioengineering Program, Sabanci University, 34956 Tuzla, Istanbul, Turkey
Apoptosis 10:597-609. 2005
..These results suggest pramanicin as a potential apoptosis-inducing small molecule, which acts through a well-defined JNK- and p38-dependent apoptosis signalling pathway in Jurkat T leukemia cells...
- Oxaziridinium salts as hydrophobic epoxidation reagents: remarkable hydrophobically-directed selectivity in olefin epoxidation
Mark R Biscoe
Department of Chemistry, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
J Am Chem Soc 127:10812-3. 2005
..Furthermore, the oxaziridinium ions could be generated with oxone from catalytic amounts of the corresponding iminium salts. These substrate selectivities should also carry over to positional selectivities in polyenes...
- Dietary exposure to chemical migrants from food contact materials: a probabilistic approach
M J Holmes
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Central Science Laboratory, Sand Hutton, York, UK
Food Addit Contam 22:907-19. 2005
- On the enantioselective olefin epoxidation by doubly bridged biphenyl azepine derivatives--mixed tropos/atropos chiral biaryls
Department of Organic Chemistry, University of Geneva, Quai Ernest Ansermet 30, CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Org Biomol Chem 5:501-6. 2007
- Inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor expression and production by triptolide
Ke Bin Hu
Planta Med 68:368-9. 2002
..This effect may be one of the mechanisms underlying the therapeutic effects of triptolide on rheumatoid arthritis...
- Clinical outcomes in children with Henoch-Schönlein purpura nephritis grade IIIa or IIIb
Department of Nephrology, The Children s Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou 310006, Zhejiang Province, China
Pediatr Nephrol 26:1083-8. 2011
..Our results may also suggest that treatment with steroid may not alter the clinical outcome of such grade IIIa or IIIb patients...
- Triptolide functions as a potent angiogenesis inhibitor
Ming Fang He
Department of Biology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Int J Cancer 126:266-78. 2010
..Our findings suggest that antitumor action of triptolide is partly via inhibition of tumor angiogenesis by blocking 2 endothelial receptor-mediated signaling pathways, and triptolide can be a promising antiangiogenic agent...
- Triptolide inhibits the growth and metastasis of solid tumors
Department of Oncology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 2:65-72. 2003
..Taken together, these results suggest that TPL has several attractive features as a new antitumor agent...
- Potent in vitro and in vivo anticancer activities of des-methyl, des-amino pateamine A, a synthetic analogue of marine natural product pateamine A
Division of Biological Research, and 3Scientific Administration, Eisai Research Institute of Boston, Inc, Andover, Massachusetts 01810, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 8:1250-60. 2009
..DMDA-PatA thus represents a promising natural product-based anticancer agent that warrants further investigation...
- A methionine aminopeptidase-2 inhibitor, PPI-2458, for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis
Sylvie G Bernier
Department of Preclinical Research, PRAECIS Pharmaceuticals, Incorporated, 830 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:10768-73. 2004
- Inhibition of nonsense-mediated mRNA decay by the natural product pateamine A through eukaryotic initiation factor 4AIII
Department of Pharmacology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Biol Chem 284:23613-21. 2009
..Furthermore, we have characterized the mechanisms by which PatA and cycloheximide modulate NMD. Unlike CHX, PatA was found to inhibit NMD by a novel mechanism that is independent of the phosphorylation of Up-frameshift protein 1...
- [Research progress on immunosuppressive activity of monomers extracted from Chinese medicine]
Harbin Medical University Daqing Campus, Department of Pharmacy, Daqing 163319, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 35:393-6. 2010
- Triptolide, a Chinese herbal extract, enhances drug sensitivity of resistant myeloid leukemia cell lines through downregulation of HIF-1α and Nrf2
Department of Hematology, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, PR China
Pharmacogenomics 14:1305-17. 2013
..To explore whether triptolide (TPL) can enhance drug sensitivity of resistant myeloid leukemia cell lines through downregulation of HIF-1α and Nrf2...
- Synergistic effect of triptolide and tacrolimus on rat cardiac allotransplantation
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Jpn Heart J 45:657-65. 2004
..These results suggest that triptolide is a moderately effective immunosuppressive agent. Triptolide combined with a subtherapeutic dose of tacrolimus produced a synergistic effect in prolonging rat cardiac allograft survival...
- The epoxy group of pramanicin is required for the optimal endothelium-dependent relaxation of rat aorta
Chiu Yin Kwan
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
J Pharmacol Sci 92:203-8. 2003
..The potent, selective, and irreversible inhibitory effect of PMC on the endothelial function points to its potential development into an anti-angiogenic drug...
- Effects of triptolide from Tripterygium wilfordii on ERalpha and p53 expression in two human breast cancer cell lines
National Center of Drug Screening, China Pharmaceutical University, 1 Shennong Road, Nanjing 210038, China
Phytomedicine 16:1006-13. 2009
..The results showed that triptolide is much more sensitive to ERalpha-positive MCF-7 cells than to ERalpha-negative MDA-MB-231 cells, and the sensitivity is significantly associated with the ERalpha and p53 status...
- Triptolide reduces cystogenesis in a model of ADPKD
Stephanie J Leuenroth
Yale University, Department MCD Biology, P O Box 208103, New Haven, CT 06520 8103, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 19:1659-62. 2008
..Because the proliferative index of kidney epithelium in neonates versus adults is significantly different, future studies will need to address whether triptolide delays or reduces cyst progression in the Pkd1 adult model...
- Knockout of hepatic P450 reductase aggravates triptolide-induced toxicity
Center for Drug Safety Evaluation and Research, State Key Laboratory of New Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China
Toxicol Lett 205:47-54. 2011
..It is suggested that P450 inhibition/inactivation might pose a significant health risk in the clinic use of triptolide...
- Triptolide promotes generation of FoxP3+ T regulatory cells in rats
Department of Urology, Nanjing Drum Tower Hospital, Nanjing University Medical School, 321 Zhong Shan Road, Nanjing 210008, China
J Ethnopharmacol 125:41-6. 2009
..Triptolide (TPT), a component of the Chinese herb Triptergium wilfordii, has potent immunosuppressive and anti-inflammatory activity and is used clinically in recipients of kidney transplantation...
- Pramanicin, an antifungal agent, raises cytosolic Ca2+ and causes cell death in vascular endothelial cells
Chiu Yin Kwan
Department of Medicine, HSC 4N40, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 3Z5
Vascul Pharmacol 40:35-42. 2003
- Mechanism of triptolide-induced apoptosis: Effect on caspase activation and Bid cleavage and essentiality of the hydroxyl group of triptolide
Department of Pediatrics, Center for Developmental Pharmacology and Toxicology, Children s Research Institute, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
J Mol Med (Berl) 84:405-15. 2006
..Our results indicate that both the apoptosis-promoting and the antiinflammatory activities of triptolide depend on the 14-OH group...
- Increased accumulation of hypoxia-inducible factor-1α with reduced transcriptional activity mediates the antitumor effect of triptolide
Zhao Li Zhou
Division of Antitumor Pharmacology, State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 201203, China
Mol Cancer 9:268. 2010
..However, the anticancer action mechanisms of triptolide remains to be further investigated. Here we used human ovarian SKOV-3 cancer cells as a model to probe the effect of triptolide on HIF-1α...
- Antiproliferative and proapoptotic activities of triptolide (PG490), a natural product entering clinical trials, on primary cultures of human prostatic epithelial cells
Taija M Kiviharju
Department of Urology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5118, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:2666-74. 2002
..Our preclinical studies suggest that triptolide might be an effective preventive as well as therapeutic agent against prostate cancer and that triptolide may activate a functional p53 pathway in prostate cells...
- Structure of human epoxide hydrolase reveals mechanistic inferences on bifunctional catalysis in epoxide and phosphate ester hydrolysis
German A Gomez
Roy and Diana Vagelos Laboratories, Department of Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6323, USA
Biochemistry 43:4716-23. 2004
..Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 100, 1558-1563]. The binding of Mg(2+)-HPO4(2-) to the N-terminal domain of human sEH in its CIU complex reveals structural features relevant to those of the enzyme-substrate complex in the phosphatase reaction...
- [Progress in research on mechanisms of anti-rheumatoid arthritis of triptolide]
Chun Fang Liu
Institute of Chinese Materia Medica, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 31:1575-9. 2006
..Triptolide is a potent immunosuppressant...
- In vivo doses of acrylamide and glycidamide in humans after intake of acrylamide-rich food
Anna C Vikström
Department of Materials and Environmental Chemistry, Environmental Chemistry Unit, Arrhenius Laboratory, Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Toxicol Sci 119:41-9. 2011
..Furthermore, the values of AUC-AA and AUC-GA are five and two times higher, respectively, than the corresponding values for F344 rats exposed to AA at levels as in published cancer bioassays...
- Chlorohydrins of bisphenol A diglycidyl ether (BADGE) and of bisphenol F diglycidyl ether (BFDGE) in canned foods and ready-to-drink coffees from the Japanese market
Tokyo Metropolitan Research Laboratory of Public Health, Japan
Food Addit Contam 18:177-85. 2001
..2HCl anti BFDGE.HCl.H2O at a level of 1.5 mg/kg. A Beilstein test confirmed that all cans containing foods contaminated with BADGE.2HCl or BFDGE.2HCl had at lest one part coated with a PVC organosol...
- Involvement of mitochondrial pathway in triptolide-induced cytotoxicity in human normal liver L-02 cells
National Center of Drug Screening, China Pharmaceutical University, 1 Shennong Road, Nanjing 210038, China
Biol Pharm Bull 31:592-7. 2008
..Triptolide-increased activity of caspase 9 and caspase 3 was also observed. These results indicate that triptolide induced cytotoxicity in L-02 cells by apoptosis, which is mediated through mitochondrial pathway...
- A strategy for position-selective epoxidation of polyprenols
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:8089-93. 2008
..5 mM. With polyprenol substrates having the hydroxyl function at one terminus, the internal epoxidation can be directed at the double bond of the polyprenol, which is either four or five away from the terminal hydroxyprenyl subunit...
- Experimental AA amyloidosis in mice is inhibited by treatment with triptolide, a purified traditional Chinese medicine
First Department of Pathology, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Minami kogushi, Ube, Yamaguchi 755 8505, Japan
Int Immunopharmacol 7:1232-40. 2007
..These results suggest that through suppression of IL-6, triptolide can reduce production of SAA. Amyloid deposition is prevented when levels of the amyloid-forming precursor protein SAA are decreased significantly...
- [Effect of tripterygium polyglucoside on T-lymphocyte subsets and serum interleukin-5 level in asthma patients]
X H Wang
Medical Department of Respiratory Diseases, Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Railway Medical College, Nanjing 210009
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 21:25-7. 2001
..61, P < 0.01). CONCLUSION: TII is highly effective in treating asthma through regulating T-lymphocyte subset disorder and inhibiting production of IL-5...
- Differential effects of triptolide and tetrandrine on activation of COX-2, NF-kappaB, and AP-1 and virus production in dengue virus-infected human lung cells
Jun Ting Liou
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Tri Service General Hospital, School of Medicine, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Eur J Pharmacol 589:288-98. 2008
..Our findings imply that triptolide and tetrandrine may attenuate dengue virus infection in human lung cells, but through distinct pathways...
- The effect of etomoxir on insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic patients
Diabetes Forschungsinstitut Düsseldorf, Universitat Dusseldorf, Germany
Horm Metab Res 24:115-8. 1992
..We conclude that Etomoxir improves insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Levels of bisphenol A diglycidyl ether (BADGE) and bisphenol F diglycidyl ether (BFDGE) in canned liquid infant formula products in Canada and dietary intake estimates
Xu Liang Cao
Health Canada, Food Research Division, Bureau of Chemical Safety, Food Directorate, 251 Frederick Banting Driveway, AL 2203D, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1A 0K9
J AOAC Int 92:1780-9. 2009
..The maximum PDI of BADGE was 22 microg/kg body weight/day for the 12-18 months old with the maximum formula intake. The maximum PDI of BFDGE was < 3.4 microg/kg body weight/day...
- Aspartate-catalyzed asymmetric epoxidation reactions
Department of Chemistry, Yale University, P O Box 208107, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8107, USA
J Am Chem Soc 129:8710-1. 2007
- Triptolide inhibits cyclooxygenase-2 and inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in human colon cancer and leukemia cells
Institute of Hematologic Disease, Department of Hematology, First Affiliated Hospital, Medical School, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310003, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 39:89-95. 2007
..These results indicated that the inhibition of the inflammatory factor COX-2 and iNOS activity could be involved in the antitumor mechanisms of TP...
- New structural and chemical insight into the catalytic mechanism of epoxide hydrolases
R N Armstrong
Department of Biochemistry, Center in Molecular Toxicology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 0146, USA
Drug Metab Rev 32:327-38. 2000
..The data reveal that, in addition to the catalytic triad located in the core domain that carries out the hydrolytic reaction, there are two tyrosine residues, located in the cap domain, which assist in the initial alkylation event...
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel triptolide analogues for anticancer activity
Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 555 Road Zu Chong Zhi, Zhangjiang Hi Tech Park, Shanghai 201203, PR China
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 20:6217-21. 2010
..05nM for SKOV-3 cells, clearly challenging the traditional viewpoint on the necessity of 9,11-β-epoxide group of triptolide. In addition, structure-activity relationships for three classes of compounds were studied...
- Anti-tumour and immuno-modulation effects of triptolide-loaded polymeric micelles
College of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 70:741-8. 2008
..Therefore, TP encapsulated in polymeric micelles does not demonstrate immuno-suppressive activity but does not lose its anti-tumour effect. These results show that polymeric micelles are a promising carrier for cancer therapy using TP...
- Triptolide inhibits IL-12/IL-23 expression in APCs via CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein alpha
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Weill Medical College, eill Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Cornell University, New York, NY 10065, USA
J Immunol 184:3866-77. 2010
..This study provides mechanistic insights into the immunomodulatory capacity of triptolide and has strong implications for its therapeutic applications in autoimmune diseases...