- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers: occurrence, dietary exposure, and toxicology
P O Darnerud
National Food Administration, Toxicology Division, Uppsala, Sweden
Environ Health Perspect 109:49-68. 2001
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are used as flame retardants in plastics (concentration, 5--30%) and in textile coatings...
- An overview of policies for managing polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in the Great Lakes basin
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Environ Int 34:1148-56. 2008
..Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), a class of brominated flame retardant, are among such chemicals, whose concentration in the Great Lakes ..
- Tunable bifunctional silyl ether cross-linkers for the design of acid-sensitive biomaterials
Matthew C Parrott
Departments of Chemistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, United States
J Am Chem Soc 132:17928-32. 2010
..These novel materials could be useful for numerous biomedical applications, including drug delivery, tissue repair, and general surgery...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers and polychlorinated biphenyls in a marine foodweb of coastal Florida
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:8243-50. 2005
..of marine mammals (dolphins) collected from Florida coastal waters were analyzed for polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) to evaluate biomagnification factors (BMF) of these contaminants in a ..
- Biaryl ethers as novel non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors with improved potency against key mutant viruses
Dai Shi Su
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Structural Biology, Merck Research Laboratory, P O Box 4, West Point, Pennsylvania 19486, USA
J Med Chem 52:7163-9. 2009
Biaryl ethers were recently reported as potent NNRTIs. Herein we disclose a detailed SAR study that led to the biaryl ether 6...
- Hydroxylated polybrominated diphenyl ethers (OH-PBDEs) in the abiotic environment: surface water and precipitation from Ontario, Canada
Department of Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Saga University, Honjo 1, Saga 840 8502, Japan
Environ Sci Technol 42:1657-64. 2008
Hydroxylated polybrominated diphenyl ethers (OH-PBDEs) have been identified as metabolites of PBDEs, and also as compounds of natural origin in the marine environment; however, there has only been very limited study of their presence in ..
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers from the Indonesian sponge Lamellodysidea herbacea
Department of Chemistry, Biology, and Marine Science, University of the Ryukyus, Nishihara, Okinawa 903 0213, Japan
J Nat Prod 70:432-5. 2007
Four new (1-4) and 10 known polybrominated diphenyl ethers (5-14) have been isolated from the title sponge. The structures of the new entities were elucidated by interpretation of spectroscopic data and chemical transformations...
- Levels and distribution of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in water, surface sediments, and bivalves from the San Francisco Estuary
Daniel R Oros
San Francisco Estuary Institute, Oakland, California 94621, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:33-41. 2005
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) were found in water, surface sediments, and bivalve samples that were collected from the San Francisco Estuary in 2002...
- Semiautomated high-throughput extraction and cleanup method for the measurement of polybrominated diphenyl ethers and polybrominated and polychlorinated biphenyls in breast milk
National Center for Environmental Health, Division of Laboratory Sciences, Organic Analytical Toxicology Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Hwy NE Mail Stop F 17, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Anal Chem 76:4508-14. 2004
A semiautomated extraction and cleanup method has been developed to measure eight polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), 2,2',4,4',5,5'-hexabromobiphenyl (BB-153), and 2,2',4,4',5,5'-hexachlorobiphenyl (CB-153)...
- Dietary accumulation and metabolism of polybrominated diphenyl ethers by juvenile carp (Cyprinus carpio)
Heather M Stapleton
Chesapeake Biological Laboratory, University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science, Solomons, Maryland 20688, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 23:1939-46. 2004
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are hydrophobic organic contaminants with properties and nomenclature similar to polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)...
- Self-delivering nanoemulsions for dual fluorine-19 MRI and fluorescence detection
Jelena M Janjic
Department of Biological Sciences and Pittsburgh NMR Center for Biomedical Research, Carnegie Mellon University, 4400 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:2832-41. 2008
..The intracellular fluorescence signal is directly proportional to the 19F NMR signal and can be used to calibrate cell loading in vitro...
- Identification of antitumor activity of pyrazole oxime ethers
Hyun Ja Park
Bio organic Science Division, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, PO Box 107, Yusong, Taejon 305 600, Republic of Korea
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 15:3307-12. 2005
..A series of pyrazole oxime ether derivatives were prepared and examined as cytotoxic agents. In particular, 5-phenoxypyrazole was comparable to doxorubicin, while exhibiting very potent cytotoxicity against XF 498 and HCT15...
- Oxidative cleavage of diverse ethers by an extracellular fungal peroxygenase
From the Unit of Environmental Biotechnology, International Graduate School of Zittau, 02763 Zittau, Germany
J Biol Chem 284:29343-9. 2009
..peroxygenase of Agrocybe aegerita catalyzed the H2O2-dependent cleavage of environmentally significant ethers, including methyl t-butyl ether, tetrahydrofuran, and 1,4-dioxane...
- Hydroxylated metabolites of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in human blood samples from the United States
School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:93-8. 2009
A previous study from our laboratory showed that polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) were metabolized to hydroxylated PBDEs (HO-PBDEs) in mice and that para-HO-PBDEs were the most abundant and, potentially, the most toxic metabolites.
- Screening of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in blue mussels, marine and freshwater sediments in Denmark
J H Christensen
National Environmental Research Institute, Department of Environmental Chemistry, Frederiksborgvej 399, 4000 Roskilde, Denmark
J Environ Monit 3:543-7. 2001
The first screening of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in sediments and blue mussels (Mytilus edulis) collected in the Danish marine and freshwater environment is presented in this work...
- (E)- and (Z)-1,2,4-triazolylchromanone oxime ethers as conformationally constrained antifungals
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, PO Box 48175 861, Sari, Iran
Bioorg Med Chem 12:3971-6. 2004
A series of 1,2,4-triazolylchromanone oxime ethers were synthesized and tested for in vitro antifungal activity...
- Passive sampling of glycol ethers and their acetates in indoor air
Ecole des Mines de Douai, 941, rue Charles Bourseul, BP 838, Cedex, DOUAI 59508, France
J Environ Monit 10:517-26. 2008
..the performances of a thermal desorbable radial diffusive sampler for the weekly measurement of eight glycol ethers in indoor air and described the results of an application of this method carried out as part of HABIT'AIR Nord - ..
- Comparative evaluation of three high-performance liquid chromatography-based Kow estimation methods for highly hydrophobic organic compounds: polybrominated diphenyl ethers and hexabromocyclododecane
Stephen J Hayward
Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry and of Physical and Environmental Sciences, University of Toronto at Scarborough, 1265 Military Trail, Toronto, Ontario M1C 1A4, Canada
Environ Toxicol Chem 25:2018-27. 2006
..speed, precision, and accuracy, with the latter judged by comparison with Kow values for polybrominated diphenyl ethers and polychlorinated naphthalenes as reported in the literature, a gradient elution combined with an exponential ..
- Facile oxidative cleavage of 4-O-benzyl ethers with dichlorodicyanoquinone in rhamno- and mannopyranosides
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, 845 West Taylor Street, Chicago, Illinois 60607 7061, USA
J Org Chem 72:3581-4. 2007
On exposure to dichlorodicyanoquinone in wet dichloromethane at room temperature, equatorial 4-O-benzyl ethers are removed with moderate selectivity in the presence of other benzyl ethers in glycopyranosides and glycothiopyranosides.
- Assessing the long-range transport potential of polybrominated diphenyl ethers: a comparison of four multimedia models
Division of Physical Sciences, University of Toronto at Scarborough, 1265 Military Trail, Toronto, Ontario M1C 1A4, Canada
Environ Toxicol Chem 22:1252-61. 2003
..literature search of environmentally relevant physical-chemical properties for nine polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE), ranging from a monobrominated congener to the fully brominated decabromodiphenyl ether, were evaluated and ..
- Etherification of biodiesel-derived glycerol with ethanol for fuel formulation over sulfonic modified catalysts
Juan A Melero
Department of Chemical and Environmental Technology, ESCET, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, c Tulipan s n, E 28933 Móstoles, Madrid, Spain
Bioresour Technol 103:142-51. 2012
..glycerol with anhydrous ethanol over arenesulfonic acid-functionalized mesostructured silicas to produce ethyl ethers of glycerol that can be used as gasoline or diesel fuel biocomponents...
- C2-hydroxyglycosylation with glycal donors. Probing the mechanism of sulfonium-mediated oxygen transfer to glycal enol ethers
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Am Chem Soc 124:7343-52. 2002
..investigations into this reaction revealed a novel process for sulfonium-mediated oxidation of glycal enol ethers in which the sulfoxide oxygen atom is stereoselectively transferred to the C2-position of the glycal...
- Biosynthesis of ethers: unusual or common natural events?
Pablo Domínguez de María
Process and Product Technology Department, AkzoNobel BV, Velperweg 76, Arnhem, The Netherlands
Nat Prod Rep 27:370-92. 2010
..Depending on the compound and on the (micro) environment in which the reaction is performed, ethers are produced by very different (enzymatic) reactions, thus providing an impressive display of how Nature has ..
- A comparison between vital capacity induction and tidal breathing induction techniques for the induction of anesthesia and compound A production
Shu Jie Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150001, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 123:2336-40. 2010
..The aim of this study was to compare them using sevoflurane with respect to induction time, complications of inhalation induction, and compound A production in adult patients...
- Selective, nickel-catalyzed hydrogenolysis of aryl ethers
Alexey G Sergeev
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois, 600 South Matthews Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Science 332:439-43. 2011
Selective hydrogenolysis of the aromatic carbon-oxygen (C-O) bonds in aryl ethers is an unsolved synthetic problem important for the generation of fuels and chemical feedstocks from biomass and for the liquefaction of coal...
- Effects of the water content of soda lime on compound A concentration in the anesthesia circuit in sevoflurane anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Japan
Anesthesiology 88:66-71. 1998
..This goal of this study was to determine if compound A concentrations can be reduced by using soda lime with water added...
- Dose-dependent metabolism of fluoromethyl-2,2-difluoro-1-(trifluoromethyl)vinyl ether (compound A), an anesthetic degradation product, to mercapturic acids and 3,3,3-trifluoro-2-(fluoromethoxy)propanoic acid in rats
E D Kharasch
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 160:49-59. 1999
..The quantitative assay developed herein may provide a biomarker for FDVE exposure and relative metabolism via toxification and detoxifying pathways, applicable to animal and human investigations...
- Poly-ethers from Winogradskyella poriferorum: Antifouling potential, time-course study of production and natural abundance
KAUST Global Collaborative Research, Division of Life Science, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, HKSAR, China
Bioresour Technol 102:7532-7. 2011
..Five poly-ethers were isolated and partially characterized based on nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and mass ..
- Aerobic biotransformation of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) by bacterial isolates
Kristin R Robrock
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Environ Sci Technol 43:5705-11. 2009
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are flame retardants that have been used in consumer products and furniture for three decades...
- Role of renal cysteine conjugate beta-lyase in the mechanism of compound A nephrotoxicity in rats
E D Kharasch
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Anesthesiology 86:160-71. 1997
..Compound A nephrotoxicity has not been observed in humans. The authors tested the hypothesis that renal uptake of compound A S-conjugates and metabolism by renal cysteine conjugate beta-lyase mediate compound A nephrotoxicity in rats...
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of 12 allenic aromatic ethers
San Yong Wang
School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Sun Yat Sen Zhongshan University, Guangzhou 510275, China
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 17:2785-8. 2007
Twelve allenic aromatic ethers, some of them are natural products isolated from the mangrove fungus Xylaria sp. 2508 in the South China Sea, were synthesized. Their antitumor activities against KB and KBv200 cells were determined...
- Correlation of bilayer membrane cation transport and biological activity in alkyl-substituted lariat ethers
W Matthew Leevy
Departments of Chemistry and Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Ave, Campus Box 8103, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Org Biomol Chem 3:1647-52. 2005
Dialkyldiaza-18-crown-6 lariat ethers having twin n-octyl, n-decyl, n-dodecyl, n-tetradecyl, n-hexadecyl, 1-oxodecyl and 1-oxododecyl side arms were prepared and studied...
- Four new aromatic allenic ethers from the fungus Xylaria sp. No. 2508
San Yong Wang
School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Zhongshan University, Guangzhou, China
Nat Prod Res 22:612-7. 2008
Four new aromatic allenic ethers, (7E)-3-(4-buta-2,3-dienyloxy-3-methoxy-phenyl)-acrylic acid methyl ester (1), (7E)-3-[4-(4-buta-2,3-dienyloxy-benzyloxy)-phenyl]-acrylic acid methyl ester (2), 4-(4-buta-2,3-dienyloxy-benzyloxy)-benzoic ..
- Assessing the toxic effects of ethylene glycol ethers using Quantitative Structure Toxicity Relationship models
Computational Toxicology Methods Development Laboratory, Division of Toxicology and Environmental Medicine, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 254:198-205. 2011
..The use of glycol ethers and their health effects have recently attracted the attention of international organizations such as the World ..
- Formation of alkenes via degradation of tert-alkyl ethers and alcohols by Aquincola tertiaricarbonis L108 and Methylibium spp
Department of Environmental Microbiology, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research UFZ, Permoserstr 15, 04318 Leipzig, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:5981-7. 2011
..The possible use of alkene formation as an easy-to-measure indicator of aerobic fuel oxygenate biodegradation in contaminated aquifers is discussed...
- Discovery and pharmacological characterization of aryl piperazine and piperidine ethers as dual acting norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors and 5-HT1A partial agonists
David L Gray
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Eastern Point Road, Groton, CT 06340, United States
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 19:6604-7. 2009
..Several iterations of design, synthesis, and testing led to substituted piperidine diphenyl ethers which are potent NRIs with 5-HT1(A) partial agonist properties...
- Effects of hexabromocyclododecane and polybrominated diphenyl ethers on mRNA expression in chicken (Gallus domesticus) hepatocytes
Environment Canada, National Wildlife Research Centre, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Toxicol Sci 106:479-87. 2008
Hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) and polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are additive flame retardants used in a wide range of consumer products...
- Antimitotic and cell growth inhibitory properties of combretastatin A-4-like ethers
N J Lawrence
Department of Chemistry, UMIST, Manchester, UK
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 11:51-4. 2001
A series of diarylamines, diaryl and arylbenzyl ethers based on combretastatin A-4 was prepared and evaluated for anticancer activity...
- Synthesis of analogues of Eunicea gamma-cembranolides containing cyclic ethers via saponification
A D Rodriguez
Department of Chemistry, University of Puerto Rico, P O Box 23346, U P R Station, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00931 3346
J Org Chem 66:648-58. 2001
..While it was shown that a variety of structural modifications are possible, these transformations led typically to nontoxic synthetic cembranoids...
- Distribution of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in human umbilical cord serum, paternal serum, maternal serum, placentas, and breast milk from Madrid population, Spain
Department of Instrumental Analysis and Environmental Chemistry, Institute of General Organic Chemistry, CSIC, Juan de la Cierva, 3, 28006 Madrid, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 41:6961-8. 2007
..The presence of PBDEs in cord blood and placenta samples indicates that there is prenatal exposure of PBDEs, which could continue after birth via breast milk...
- Recent advances in structural research on ether lipids from archaea including comparative and physiological aspects
Department of Chemistry, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 69:2019-34. 2005
..In the last part of this review we discuss this problem...
- Isolation and characterization of polybrominated diphenyl ethers as inhibitors of microtubule assembly from the marine sponge Phyllospongia dendyi collected at Palau
Department of Ocean Sciences, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, Minato ku, Tokyo 108 8477, Japan
J Nat Prod 67:472-4. 2004
Two new polybrominated diphenyl ethers (1 and 2) were isolated by bioassay-guided separations together with nine known compounds (3-11) from the marine sponge Phyllospongia dendyi collected from Palau...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers, perfluorinated compounds and chlorinated pesticides in swordfish (Xiphias gladius) from the Mediterranean Sea
Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali G Sarfatti, University of Siena, Via P A Mattioli, 4, I 53100 Siena, Italy
Environ Sci Technol 42:4344-9. 2008
..The estimated daily ingestion of PBDEs and DDTs through diet was lower than the acceptable weekly intakes proposed by the World Health Organization...
- Interactions of polybrominated diphenyl ethers with the aryl hydrocarbon receptor pathway
A K Peters
Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences, Utrecht University, PO Box 80176, Yalelaan 2, 3508 TD Utrecht, The Netherlands
Toxicol Sci 92:133-42. 2006
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are brominated flame retardants that have been in use as additives in various consumer products...
- GC/MS analysis of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in fish collected from the Inland Sea of Seto, Japan
Osaka Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Japan
Chemosphere 44:1325-33. 2001
Development of an analytical method for polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in fish and their concentration in Japanese marine fish were investigated. Fish homogenate was extracted with diethyl ether/hexane (1 + 3)...
- Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some novel phenyl and benzimidazole substituted benzyl ethers
Ozden Ozel Güven
Department of Chemistry, Zonguldak Karaelmas University, 67100 Zonguldak, Turkey
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 17:2233-6. 2007
In this study, a series of novel phenyl- and benzimidazole-substituted benzyl ethers were synthesized and evaluated for antibacterial and antifungal activities against Staphylococcus aureus, Methicillin-resistant S...
- Serum concentrations of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and polybrominated biphenyl (PBB) in the United States population: 2003-2004
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Environmental Health, 4770 Buford Highway NE, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:1377-84. 2008
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and 2,2',4,4',5,5'-hexabromobiphenyl (BB-153) are chemicals known as brominated flame retardants...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in house dust in Singapore
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117576, Singapore
Chemosphere 66:985-92. 2007
The use of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) as flame retardants in Singapore is not strictly regulated; therefore these compounds can be readily found in furniture, electronic devices, and building materials...
- Synthesis of new 2-naphthyl ethers and their protective activities against DNA damage induced by bleomycin-iron
Bakr F Abdel-Wahab
Applied Organic Chemistry Department, National Research Center, Dokki, Giza, Egypt
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 57:1348-51. 2009
..Compound 2 showed the greatest protection against DNA damage, thus diminishing chromogen formation between the damaged DNA and thiobarbituric acid...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers, polychlorinated biphenyls and organochlorine pesticides in sediment cores from the Western Scheldt river (Belgium): analytical aspects and depth profiles
Toxicological Centre, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
Environ Int 31:367-75. 2005
..PCBs) and selected organochlorinated pesticides (OCPs) and organobromines, such as polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), in sediment samples was optimised using CRM 536 (PCBs in freshwater sediment)...
- Neonatal exposure to higher brominated diphenyl ethers, hepta-, octa-, or nonabromodiphenyl ether, impairs spontaneous behavior and learning and memory functions of adult mice
Department of Environmental Toxicology, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 18A, S 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Toxicol Sci 92:211-8. 2006
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), used as flame retardants, have been shown to be increasing in the environment and in human mother's milk...
- Ketone super silyl enol ethers in sequential reactions: diastereoselective generation of tertiary carbinols in one pot
Matthew B Boxer
Department of Chemistry, The University of Chicago, 5735 South Ellis Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:1580-2. 2008
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in U.S. mothers' milk
University of Texas Health Sciences Center, School of Public Health, Dallas Regional Campus, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
Environ Health Perspect 111:1723-9. 2003
..S. population. Other routes of intake may also be significant...
- Children show highest levels of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in a California family of four: a case study
Oakland Tribune, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Environ Health Perspect 114:1581-4. 2006
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), a major class of flame retardants, are ubiquitous environmental contaminants with particularly high concentrations in humans from the United States...
- Global assessment of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in farmed and wild salmon
Ronald A Hites
School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
Environ Sci Technol 38:4945-9. 2004
..In this paper, we extend these results to polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and show that farm-raised salmon have higher levels of these compounds than wild salmon...
- The biosynthesis of polyketide-derived polycyclic ethers
Andrew R Gallimore
Dept of Biochemistry, 80 Tennis Court Rd, Cambridge, CB2 1GA, UK
Nat Prod Rep 26:266-80. 2009
The biosynthetic pathways to polyketide-derived polycyclic ethers, in bacteria, plants and marine organisms, have, until now, tended to be considered separately...
- Temporal trends, congener patterns, and sources of octa-, nona-, and decabromodiphenyl ethers (PBDE) and hexabromocyclododecanes (HBCD) in Swiss lake sediments
Empa, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research, Uberlandstrasse 129, 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 42:6378-84. 2008
- Total synthesis and complete assignment of the stereostructure of a cytotoxic bromotriterpene polyether (+)-aurilol
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Osaka City University, Sumiyoshi ku, Osaka 558 8585, Japan
J Am Chem Soc 127:5806-7. 2005
- Overview of toxicological aspects of polybrominated diphenyl ethers: a flame-retardant additive in several consumer products
Chris E Talsness
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Toxicology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Garystr 5, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Environ Res 108:158-67. 2008
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are ubiquitous environmental contaminants due to their long half-life and widespread use as flame retardants in several consumer products, including plastics...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in freshwater mussels and fish from Flanders, Belgium
Toxicological Center, University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
J Environ Monit 7:132-6. 2005
..50) and most were statistically not significant (p > 0.05). This suggests that the exposure to contaminants arises from local sources possessing different signatures of PBDEs and organochlorine pollutants...
- Novel unsaturated sucrose ethers and their application as monomers
Carina C Crucho
REQUIMTE, Departamento de Química FCT, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Quinta da Torre, 2829 516 Caparica, Portugal
Molecules 13:762-70. 2008
Novel unsaturated ethers were synthesised in good yields starting from sucrose,using a two-step mild and efficient procedure based on the Gassman method, which consists in forming a vinyl group by the elimination of ethanol from mixed ..
- Polybrominated diphenyl ether flame retardants in the U.S. population: current levels, temporal trends, and comparison with dioxins, dibenzofurans, and polychlorinated biphenyls
University of Texas School of Public Health, Dallas Campus, 6011 Harry Hines Boulevard V8 112, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
J Occup Environ Med 47:199-211. 2005
- Bisaryloxime ethers as potent inhibitors of transthyretin amyloid fibril formation
Steven M Johnson
Department of Chemistry and The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 N Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Med Chem 48:1576-87. 2005
..Of the library's 95 compounds, 31 were active inhibitors of TTR amyloid formation in vitro. The bisaryloxime ethers selectively stabilize the native tetrameric state of TTR over the dissociative transition state under ..
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers and polychlorinated biphenyls in human adipose tissue from New York
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health and Department of Environmental Health Sciences, State University of New York at Albany, Empire State Plaza, P O Box 509, Albany, New York 12201 0509, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:5177-82. 2005
..n=52) collected in New York City during 2003-2004 were analyzed for the presence of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)...
- Epoxide-opening cascades promoted by water
Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 317:1189-92. 2007
..This strategy offers a high-yielding route to the naturally occurring ladder core and highlights the likely importance of aqueous-medium effects in underpinning certain noteworthy enzymatic selectivities...
- Reductive debromination of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in anaerobic sediment and a biomimetic system
John A Tokarz
School of Civil Engineering, and Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Purdue University, 550 Stadium Mall Drive, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907 2051, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:1157-64. 2008
..Given the very large BDE-209 burden already in sediments globally, it is important to determine whether this transformation is a significant source of lesser-brominated PBDEs to the environment...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in the sediments of the Great Lakes. 4. Influencing factors, trends, and implications
School of Public Health, Department of Civil and Materials Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:7528-34. 2006
..16 locations in the five Laurentian Great Lakes, and each was analyzed for 10 congeners of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) as well as selected polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)...
- Fate of pentabrominated diphenyl ethers in soil: abiotic sorption, plant uptake, and the impact of interspecific plant interactions
Kevin E Mueller
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45221 0006, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:6662-7. 2006
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are potentially harmful and persistent environmental pollutants. Despite evidence that soils are a major sink for PBDEs, little is known regarding their behavior in this medium...
- Levels of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in breast milk from central Taiwan and their relation to infant birth outcome and maternal menstruation effects
How Ran Chao
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, Neipu, Pingtung 912, Taiwan
Environ Int 33:239-45. 2007
In utero exposure to polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) reduces the number of ovarian follicles in rat females and causes permanent effects on rat males...
- Gas-phase reactions of brominated diphenyl ethers with OH radicals
Jonathan D Raff
School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
J Phys Chem A 110:10783-92. 2006
..kinetics and mechanism of the reaction of OH radicals with diphenyl ether and seven polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) with 1-2 bromines...
- Is house dust the missing exposure pathway for PBDEs? An analysis of the urban fate and human exposure to PBDEs
Heather A Jones-Otazo
Department of Geography, Centre for Urban Health Initiatives, University of Toronto, 100 St George Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 39:5121-30. 2005
..Ingestion of dust can lead to almost 100-fold higher exposure than "average" for a toddler with a high dust intake rate living in a home in which PBDE concentrations are elevated...
- Microbial reductive debromination of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs)
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720 1710, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:4429-34. 2006
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are a class of widely used flame retardants that have recently been detected in environmental samples, diverse biota, human blood serum, and breast milk at exponentially increasing concentrations...
- Cleaning products and air fresheners: emissions and resulting concentrations of glycol ethers and terpenoids
B C Singer
Atmospheric Sciences Department, Environmental Energy Technologies Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Indoor Air 16:179-91. 2006
Experiments were conducted to quantify emissions and concentrations of glycol ethers and terpenoids from cleaning product and air freshener use in a 50-m3 room ventilated at approximately 0.5/h...
- Brevisamide: an unprecedented monocyclic ether alkaloid from the dinoflagellate Karenia brevis that provides a potential model for ladder-frame initiation
Center for Marine Science, University of North Carolina, Wilmington, 5600 Marvin K Moss Lane, Wilmington, North Carolina 28409, USA
Org Lett 10:3465-8. 2008
..This report describes the structure elucidation of brevisamide based on detailed MS and NMR spectral analysis, and the importance of this new compound in shedding light on the biogenesis of fused polyethers is discussed...
- Epoxide hydrolase Lsd19 for polyether formation in the biosynthesis of lasalocid A: direct experimental evidence on polyene-polyepoxide hypothesis in polyether biosynthesis
Division of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0810, Japan
J Am Chem Soc 130:12230-1. 2008
..This is the first example of the enzymatic epoxide-opening reactions leading to a polyether natural product...
- Identification of hydroxylated polybrominated diphenyl ether metabolites in blood plasma from polybrominated diphenyl ether exposed rats
Department of Environmental Chemistry, Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Environ Sci Technol 39:5342-8. 2005
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are ubiquitous environmental contaminants due to their use as flame retardants. Similarly to PCBs, the PBDEs are metabolized to hydroxylated metabolites (OH-PBDEs) in mammals...
- Precursor-directed biosynthesis of stilbene methyl ethers in Escherichia coli
Department of Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Biotechnol J 2:1286-93. 2007
..Furthermore, the OsPMT gene turned out to be useful in production of unnatural stilbene methyl ethers due to its rather relaxed substrate specificity; various carboxylic acids supplemented as precursors, such as p-..
- SiMe3-based homologation-epoxidation-cyclization strategy for ladder THP synthesis
Timothy P Heffron
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Chemistry, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Org Lett 5:2339-42. 2003
..A tris-THP was synthesized in 18 total operations from commercial materials using this approach. [reaction: see text]..
- Atmospheric transport of polybrominated diphenyl ethers and polychlorinated biphenyls to the Baltic Sea
Arnout F H ter Schure
Chemical Ecology and Ecotoxicology, Department of Ecology, Lund University, Ecology Building, S 223 62 Lund, Sweden
Environ Sci Technol 38:1282-7. 2004
The atmospheric transport of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) was compared by measuring concentrations in air and deposition on an island located in the central basin of the Baltic Sea...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in the environment and in people: a meta-analysis of concentrations
Ronald A Hites
School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
Environ Sci Technol 38:945-56. 2004
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are used as flame retardants in many types of consumer products...
- Spatial distribution of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in southern Ontario as measured in indoor and outdoor window organic films
Craig M Butt
Department of Geography, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 3G3
Environ Sci Technol 38:724-31. 2004
..Mean calculated air concentrations were 4.8 pg/m3 for outdoor and 42.1 pg/m3 for indoor urban sites, indicating that urban indoor air is a source of PBDEs to urban outdoor air and the outdoor regional environment...
- Temporal trend studies on tetra- and pentabrominated diphenyl ethers and hexabromocyclododecane in guillemot egg from the Baltic Sea
Laboratory for Analytical Environmental Chemistry, Institute of Applied Environmental Research, Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Environ Sci Technol 37:5496-501. 2003
Guillemot eggs from the Baltic Sea, sampled between 1969 and 2001, were analyzed for tetra- and pentabromodiphenyl ethers (2,2',4,4'-tetraBDE (BDE-47), 2,2',4,4',5-pentaBDE (BDE-99), and 2,2',4,4',6-pentaBDE (BDE-100)), and ..
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in breast milk from Uppsala County, Sweden
Swedish National Food Administration, PO Box 622, SE 751 26 Uppsala, Sweden
Environ Res 93:186-94. 2003
The breast milk concentrations of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs; sum of five congeners: BDE-47, -99, -100, -153, and -154) were determined (by GC-ECD) in samples from 93 primiparous women collected from 1996 to 1999 in Uppsala ..
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in whitefish from Swiss lakes and farmed rainbow trout
Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Testing and Research Empa, Laboratory of Organic Chemistry, Uberlandstrasse 129, 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Chemosphere 51:545-53. 2003
A method for trace analysis of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE) in fish based on gas chromatography/electron ionization high resolution mass spectrometry (GC/EI-HRMS) was developed, and levels of PBDE were determined in whitefish (..
- Synthesis of vanillin ethers from 4-(bromomethyl) coumarins as anti-inflammatory agents
Post Graduate Department of Studies in Chemistry, Karnatak University, 580003, Dharwad, India
Eur J Med Chem 38:297-302. 2003
4-(Bromomethyl) coumarins 1 have been reacted with vanillins, 2 and 2A to obtain the corresponding ethers 3 and 5. Ethers 3 have been reacted with ethyl cyanoacetate to obtain the unsaturated esters 4...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in foodstuffs: human exposure through the diet
Laboratory of Toxicology and Environmental Health, School of Medicine, Rovira i Virgili University, 43201 Reus, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 51:3191-5. 2003
Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) are used as flame retardants in a variety of materials, including synthetic polymers and textiles...
- Congener-specific accumulation and food chain transfer of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in two arctic food chains
Norwegian Polar Institute, N 9296 Tromsø, Norway
Environ Sci Technol 38:1667-74. 2004
Congener-specific accumulation and prey to predator transfer of 22 polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) were assessed in polar cod, ringed seal, polar bear, and beluga whale...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and their methoxylated derivatives in pike from Swedish waters with emphasis on temporal trends, 1967-2000
Laboratory for Analytical Environmental Chemistry, Institute of Applied Environmental Research, Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Environ Pollut 130:187-98. 2004
Temporal trends of five tetra- to hexabromodiphenyl ethers [BDE47, BDE99, BDE100, BDE153 and BDE154) and two methoxy-tetraBDEs [6-methoxy-2,2',4,4'- tetraBDE (6-MeO-BDE47) and 2'-methoxy-2,3',4,5'- tetraBDE (2'-MeO-BDE68)] in pike from ..
- New clerodane diterpenoid and flavonol-3-methyl ethers from Dodonaea viscosa
Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Pharmazie 56:830-1. 2001
..Sapindaceae) afforded beta-sitosterol, stigmasterol, the flavone acacetin-7-methyl ether, the flavonol-3-methyl ethers 4',5,7-trihydroxy-3,6-dimethoxyflavone and penduletin, as well as a new clerodane diterpenoid which was identified ..
- Brevenal is a natural inhibitor of brevetoxin action in sodium channel receptor binding assays
Andrea J Bourdelais
Center for Marine Science, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, Wilmington, North Carolina 28409, USA
Cell Mol Neurobiol 24:553-63. 2004
..5. Brevenal may serve as a model compound for the development of therapeutics to prevent or reverse intoxication in red tide exposures...
- Synthesis of heterocyclic enol ethers and their use as group 2 metabotropic glutamate receptor antagonists
Pharma Division, Preclinical CNS Research, F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Basel
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 9:2173-6. 1999
Heterocyclic enol ethers of type 1 were studied with respect to the inhibition of 1S,3R-ACPD (10 microM)-stimulated GTP gamma35S binding on rat mGluR2 transfected cell membranes...
- Electron transfer initiated heterogenerative cascade cyclizations: polyether synthesis under nonacidic conditions
V Satish Kumar
Department of Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
Org Lett 4:2489-92. 2002
..Both oligotetrahydrofuran and tetrahydropyran structures can be prepared by altering substrate topography...
- Different levels of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and chlorinated compounds in breast milk from two U.K. Regions
Olga I Kalantzi
Department of Environmental Science, Institute of Environmental and Natural Sciences, Lancaster University, Lancaster, United Kingdom
Environ Health Perspect 112:1085-91. 2004
..Key words: breast milk, flame retardants, gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, milk-fat extracts, organochlorines, PBDE-47, persistent contaminants, polybrominated diphenyl ethers, polychlorinated biphenyls, United Kingdom.
- Determination of fuel dialkyl ethers and BTEX in water using headspace solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography-flame ionization detection
Departamento de Quimica Aplicada, Facultad de Quimica, Universidad del Pais Vasco, Apdo 1072, 20080 San Sebastian, Spain
J Chromatogr A 1033:193-203. 2004
..An extraction time of 10 min was enough to extract the ethers and BTEX. The relative standard deviation (R.S.D.) for the procedure varied from 2.6 (benzene) to 8...
- Dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction followed by reversed phase-high performance liquid chromatography for the determination of polybrominated diphenyl ethers at trace levels in landfill leachate and environmental water samples
School of Environmental Science and Public Health, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325035, China
Anal Chim Acta 615:96-103. 2008
..microextraction (DLLME), has been developed for the extraction and preconcentration of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in water samples...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in the sediments of the Great Lakes. 1. Lake Superior
School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Environ Sci Technol 38:3286-93. 2004
..Soxhlet-extracted and cleaned up by silica gel fractionation, and the concentrations of 10 polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and 19 polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were measured by GC-MS in SIM mode...
- Chromatographic and ionization properties of polybrominated diphenyl ethers using GC/high-resolution MS with metastable atom bombardment and electron impact ionization
Michael G Ikonomou
Contaminants Science Section, Institute of Ocean Sciences, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Sidney, British Columbia
Anal Chem 74:5263-72. 2002
..A significantly higher level of predictability was obtained for the MAB-N2 response model than for EI...
- Asymmetric synthesis of primary amines via the spiroborate-catalyzed borane reduction of oxime ethers
Department of Chemistry, University of Puerto Rico Humacao, CUH Station, Humacao, Puerto Rico 00791
Org Lett 9:1793-5. 2007
reaction: see text] The enantioselective borane reduction of O-benzyloxime ethers to primary amines was studied under catalytic conditions using the spiroborate esters 5-10 derived from nonracemic 1,2-amino alcohols and ethylene glycol...
- Synthesis of densely functionalised arenes using [2 + 2 + 2] cycloaddition reactions
School of Chemistry, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK
Org Biomol Chem 5:1028-30. 2007
Rh(I)-catalysed [2 + 2 + 2] cycloaddition allows the synthesis of aryl ethers and diaryl methanes containing a high degree of steric hindrance from relatively simple diyne and alkyne precursors...
- Synthesis and biological studies of novel 2-aminoalkylethers as potential antiarrhythmic agents for the conversion of atrial fibrillation
Cardiome Pharma Corporation, 6190 Agronomy Road, 6th Floor, Vancouver, British Columbia V6T 1Z3
J Med Chem 50:2818-41. 2007
- Tuning of the prolyl trans/cis-amide rotamer population by use of C-glucosylproline hybrids
Neil W Owens
Department of Chemistry, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2, Canada
J Org Chem 72:4635-43. 2007
..Overall, our GlcProH demonstrates variation in Kt/c through tuning of the carbohydrate scaffold: a new concept in proline peptidomimetics...