Summary: A surface anesthetic that acts by preventing transmission of impulses along nerve fibers and at nerve endings.
Publications178 found, 100 shown here
- Reducing children's injection pain: lidocaine patches versus topical benzocaine gelK A Kreider
University of Texas-Houston Health Science Center, Houston, TX, USA
Pediatr Dent 23:19-23. 2001..minute application of DentiPatch (20% lidocaine) or a 1 minute application of topical anesthetic gel (Topex, 20% benzocaine)...
- Severe methemoglobinemia on reexposure to benzocaineC Udeh
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Clin Anesth 13:128-30. 2001We report a 65-year-old male who developed severe methemoglobinemia only on reexposure to benzocaine. The patient needed two awake fiberoptic intubations for emergency surgeries...
- Methemoglobinemia caused by topical teething preparation: a case reportRan D Balicer
Department of Family Medicine, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Sheba Medical Center, Building 130, IL 52621 Tel Hashomer, Israel
ScientificWorldJournal 4:517-20. 2004Methemoglobinemia (MetHb) remains an uncommon, but potentially fatal disorder. Benzocaine (ethyl aminobenzoate), a topical anesthetic, has been reported to cause acquired MetHb when used during endoscopic or other ambulatory procedures...
- Severe methemoglobinemia complicating topical benzocaine use during endoscopy in a toddler: a case report and review of the literatureAhmed Dahshan
Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Tulsa, OK 74135, USA
Pediatrics 117:e806-9. 2006Severe methemoglobinemia resulting from the use of topical benzocaine has been reported in adults as a rare complication...
- Development, characterization and in vivo evaluation of benzocaine-loaded liposomesPaola Mura
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Florence, Italy
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 67:86-95. 2007This study reports the development and in vivo evaluation of a liposomal formulation of the local anaesthetic benzocaine. Multi-lamellar (MLV) and small uni-lamellar (SUV) vesicles entrapping benzocaine were prepared using 50:50 w/w ..
- The effect of clove and benzocaine versus placebo as topical anestheticsAthbi Alqareer
Faculty of Dentistry, Kuwait University, Kuwait
J Dent 34:747-50. 2006The purpose of this study was to examine whether the natural herb clove can replace benzocaine as a topical anesthetic.
- Topical anesthesia for rubber dam clamp placement in sealant placement: comparison of lidocaine/prilocaine gel and benzocaineRichard K Yoon
Division of Pediatric Dentistry, Columbia University College of Dental Medicine, New York City, NY, USA
Pediatr Dent 31:377-81. 2009The purpose of this prospective study was to compare the efficacy of Oraqix to benzocaine while placing a rubber dam clamp during sealant placement on children.
- Evaluation of topical pharyngeal anaesthesia by benzocaine lozenge for upper endoscopyR Shaoul
Department of Pediatrics, Bnai Zion Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, Israel
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 24:687-94. 2006..We hypothesized that delivering the local anaesthetic as a sucking lozenge would benefit the patients in terms of decreasing anxiety and will improve procedure performance and patient tolerance...
- Interaction of local anesthetics with a peptide encompassing the IV/S4-S5 linker of the Na+ channelLeonardo F Fraceto
Center of Molecular and Structural Biology, LNLS, Campinas, Brazil Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Biology, State University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil
Biophys Chem 123:29-39. 2006..The interaction of two local anesthetics (LA), lidocaine and benzocaine, with pIV/S4-S5 has been studied by DOSY, heteronuclear NMR 1H-15N-HSQC spectroscopy and computational methods...
- The different use dependences of tocainide and benzocaine are correlated with different effects on sodium channel inactivationA Deluca
Abteilung für Allgemeine Physiologie, Universitat Ulm, Federal Republic of Germany
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 344:596-601. 1991..For comparison, the experiments were also conducted with 1 mM benzocaine, a drug with almost no use dependence...
- Bioadhesive films containing benzocaine: correlation between in vitro permeation and in vivo local anesthetic effectDaniele Ribeiro de Araujo
Human and Natural Sciences Center, Federal University of ABC UFABC, Santo Andre, SP, Brazil
Pharm Res 27:1677-86. 2010The aim of this work was to develop anesthetic bioadhesive films containing benzocaine and study their in vitro skin permeation and in vivo performance, in comparison with commercial formulations.
- Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia: a potentially fatal complication of transesophageal echocardiographyRajesh Sachdeva
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Bridgeport Hospital, Yale School of Medicine, Bridgeport, Connecticut 06610, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 30:308-10. 2003We describe the cases of 2 patients who developed benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia after the administration of benzocaine as premedication for transesophageal echocardiography...
- Methemoglobinemia and benzocaineDaniel D Moos
Kearney Anesthesia Associates P C, Bryan LGH College of Health Sciences, Nurse Anesthesia Program, Kearney, Nebraska 68847, USA
Gastroenterol Nurs 30:342-5; quiz 346-7. 2007b>Benzocaine administration to facilitate upper endoscopic procedures can result in the relatively uncommon but potentially fatal complication known as methemoglobinemia...
- Canister tip orientation and residual volume have significant impact on the dose of benzocaine delivered by Hurricaine sprayA Khorasani
Division of Critical Care Anesthesiology and Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management, Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Anesth Analg 92:379-83. 2001Delivered quantities of 20% benzocaine spray (Hurricaine; Beutlich L.P. Pharmaceuticals, Waukegan, IL) are estimated by counting the number of sprays or the spraying time...
- Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia: experience from a high-volume transesophageal echocardiography laboratoryGian M Novaro
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH 44195, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 16:170-5. 2003b>Benzocaine (ethyl aminobenzoate), a topical anesthetic widely used before transesophageal echocardiography, has been reported to cause acquired methemoglobinemia...
- Efficacy and tolerability of an intraoral benzocaine patch in the relief of spontaneous toothache painElliot V Hersh
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Clin Dent 14:1-6. 2003..double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial, the effectiveness and tolerability of a novel intraoral benzocaine patch was evaluated in 60 patients who presented to the Dental School's emergency clinic with spontaneous ..
- Reported adverse event cases of methemoglobinemia associated with benzocaine productsThomas J Moore
Institute for Safe Medication Practices, Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:1192-6. 2004..When induced by benzocaine anesthetic spray and other chemicals, it can result in cyanosis and life-threatening complications.
- Optimization of formulation variables of benzocaine liposomes using experimental designPaola Mura
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Liposome Res 18:113-25. 2008..design multivariate strategy, a liposomal formulation for topical delivery of the local anaesthetic agent benzocaine. The formulation variables for the vesicle lipid phase uses potassium glycyrrhizinate (KG) as an alternative to ..
- Physico-chemical characterization of benzocaine-beta-cyclodextrin inclusion complexesLuciana M A Pinto
Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Cidade Universitaria Zeferino Vaz, S N, C P 6109, 13083 970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Pharm Biomed Anal 39:956-63. 2005..b>Benzocaine (BZC) is a local anesthetic whose low water-solubility limits its application to topical formulations...
- Atomic determinants of state-dependent block of sodium channels by charged local anesthetics and benzocaineDenis B Tikhonov
Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ont, Canada L8N 3Z5
FEBS Lett 580:6027-32. 2006..LA binds in the focus of the pore-helices macrodipoles, which also stabilize a Na(+) ion chelated by two benzocaine molecules...
- Anesthesia of fish with benzocaine does not interfere with comet assay resultsAlisson Marques de Miranda Cabral Gontijo
Departamento de Patologia, Faculdade de Medicina, UNESP, Botucatu, SP, Brazil
Mutat Res 534:165-72. 2003..we tested for a possible modulation of induced DNA damage (methyl methanesulfonate; MMS) by the anesthetic benzocaine administered by bath exposure (80mg/l for approximately 10min)...
- Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia based on the Mayo Clinic experience from 28 478 transesophageal echocardiograms: incidence, outcomes, and predisposing factorsGarvan C Kane
Echocardiography Laboratory, Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:1977-82. 2007..Acquired methemoglobinemia has been linked to the use of the topical anesthetic benzocaine in endoscopic procedures, including transesophageal echocardiography (TEE)...
- Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia during transesophageal echocardiographySandra Kaye Birchem
Mercy Medical Center North Iowa, Mason City, IA, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 105:381-4. 2005..This report describes a case of acquired methemoglobinemia that occurred after benzocaine spray was applied orally to a 69-year-old white woman weighing 175 lb who was undergoing transesophageal ..
- Granuloma gluteale adultorum associated with use of topical benzocaine preparations: case report and literature reviewMarlene T Dytoc
Division of Dermatology and Cutaneous Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Cutan Med Surg 6:221-5. 2002..Occlusion from diapers, paper napkins, plastic pants, detergents, starch, powder, halogenated steroids, candidal infection, and urine and feces are postulated as possible etiologies...
- A new validated method for the simultaneous determination of benzocaine, propylparaben and benzyl alcohol in a bioadhesive gel by HPLCP Pérez-Lozano
Unit of Pharmaceutical Technology, Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology Department, School of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, Avda Joan XXIII s n 08028, Barcelona, Spain
J Pharm Biomed Anal 39:920-7. 2005A new HPLC-RP method has been developed and validated for the simultaneous determination of benzocaine, two preservatives (propylparaben (nipasol) and benzyl alcohol) and degradation products of benzocaine in a semisolid pharmaceutical ..
- Topical benzocaine (Hurricaine) induced methemoglobinemia during endoscopic procedures in gastric bypass patientsMyur S Srikanth
Tacoma Surgical Weight Loss Clinic, Tacoma, WA 98418, USA
Obes Surg 15:584-90. 2005..It can be lethal if levels exceed 70%. Benzocaine 20% (Hurricaine) spray, commonly used in endoscopy (EGD) can cause methemoglobinemia. We report our experience.
- Potential for an external vaginal antiitch cream containing benzocaine to cause methemoglobinemia in healthy womenJ L Currie
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 176:1006-8. 1997Our purpose was to assess the potential for an external vaginal antiitch cream (20% benzocaine, 3% resorcinol) to significantly increase levels of methemoglobin above normal in healthy women.
- Using lidocaine and benzocaine to link sodium channel molecular conformations to state-dependent antiarrhythmic drug affinityDorothy A Hanck
Cardiology MC6094, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Circ Res 105:492-9. 2009..A phenylalanine in domain IV, S6 (Phe1759 in Na(V)1.5), modeled to face the inner pore just below the selectivity filter, is critical in use-dependent drug block...
- A rare side effect of transesophageal echocardiography: methemoglobinemia from topical benzocaine anesthesiaZehra Jaffery
Department of Internal Medicine, Heart and Vascular Institute, Henry Ford Hospital, 2799 West Grand Boulevard, K 14, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Eur J Echocardiogr 9:289-90. 2008b>Benzocaine induced methemoglobinemia is an uncommon, potentially fatal condition.
- A common local anesthetic receptor for benzocaine and etidocaine in voltage-gated mu1 Na+ channelsG K Wang
Department of Anesthesia, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis St Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pflugers Arch 435:293-302. 1998According to Hille's modulated receptor hypothesis, benzocaine shares a common receptor with all other local anesthetics (LAs) in the voltage-gated Na+ channel...
- Topical anesthetic-induced methemoglobinemia and sulfhemoglobinemia in macaques: a comparison of benzocaine and lidocaineD G Martin
Veterinary Medicine and Laboratory Resources Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21010 5425, USA
J Appl Toxicol 15:153-8. 1995b>Benzocaine (BNZ) and lidocaine (LC) are commonly used topical (spray) anesthetics approved for use in humans...
- Binding of benzocaine in batrachotoxin-modified Na+ channels. State-dependent interactionsG K Wang
Department of Anesthesia, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
J Gen Physiol 103:501-18. 1994..69:497-515) first proposed a modulated receptor hypothesis (MRH) to explain the action of benzocaine in voltage-gated Na+ channels...
- Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemiaFrederick Hegedus
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Anesth Prog 52:136-9. 2005..The cause of methemoglobinemia was 20% benzocaine spray used for local anesthesia before intubation...
- Clinical effectiveness of lidocaine and benzocaine for topical anesthesiaA L Rosa
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Anesth Prog 46:97-9. 1999The effectiveness of lidocaine and benzocaine in reducing pain produced by needle insertion into the palate was evaluated in a double-blind and placebo-controlled study using a more suitable method...
- Local anesthetic block of batrachotoxin-resistant muscle Na+ channelsG K Wang
Department of Anesthesia, Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Mol Pharmacol 54:389-96. 1998..transfected human embryonic kidney 293T cells, and their sensitivity to lidocaine, QX-314, etidocaine, and benzocaine was assayed under whole-cell, voltage-clamp conditions...
- Methemoglobinemia induced by exposure to topical benzocaine for an awake nasal intubation--a case reportShih Kai Lin
Department of Anesthesiology, Changhua Christian Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan, ROC
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 45:111-6. 2007Topical benzocaine and lidocaine are widely used in general anesthesia to minimize the stimulation by awake intubation and in very rare occasion they may induce methemoglobinemia...
- Evaluation of three topical anaesthetic agents against pain: a clinical studyR Nayak
Dept of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Manipal College of Dental Sciences, Mangalore
Indian J Dent Res 17:155-60. 2006..during local anaesthetic infiltration at bilateral buccal sites prepared with topical application of EMLA 5% cream, benzocaine 18% gel or lignocaine 5% ointment and also to find out the rapidity of onset of action of these agents.
- Methemoglobinemia: early intraoperative detection by clinical observationLeonard R Henry
Section of Head and Neck Surgery, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19111, USA
Laryngoscope 114:2025-6. 2004..b>Benzocaine (a component of many topical preparations) is frequently employed for this purpose...
- Topical anesthetic sprays directly associated with a serious, sometimes fatal adverse drug reaction: methemoglobinemiaSusan Paparella
Consulting Services, Institute for Safe Medication Practices, Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA
J Emerg Nurs 31:468-9. 2005
- Reduction of pain from needle stick in the oral mucosa by topical anesthetics: a comparative study between lidocaine/prilocaine and benzocaineManal Abu Al-Melh
Faculty of Dentistry, Health Sciences Centre, Kuwait University, Kuwait
J Clin Dent 16:53-6. 2005The aim of the study was to compare the analgesic effect of a topical benzocaine gel with that of a topical gel mixture of lidocaine/prilocaine (L/P).
- Acute methemoglobinemia after endoscopyMax Bayard
Department of Family Medicine, Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN 37604, USA
J Am Board Fam Pract 17:227-9. 2004
- Avoiding topical anesthesia-induced methemoglobinemiaDavid H Wong
Obes Surg 15:1088. 2005
- Methemoglobinemia: sudden dyspnea and oxyhemoglobin desaturation after esophagoduodenoscopyEllen Lunenfeld
Department of Medicine, Jefferson Medical College, 1025 Walnut Street, 805, Philadelphia PA 19107, USA
Respir Care 49:940-2. 2004
- Using the rapid response system to provide better oversight of patient care processesMichelle S Moore
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 33:695-8, 645. 2007..The cross-disciplinary nature of patient care and medical emergency teams allows for identification of systemwide problems that might otherwise be perceived as isolated events...
- A PACU crisis: a case study on the development and management of methemoglobinemiaTerri A Gray
Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI 48037 2043, USA
J Perianesth Nurs 19:242-53. 2004..study describes the development, diagnosis, and management of a 63-year-old male scheduled for a laparoscopic cholecystectomy with an intraoperative cholangiogram who developed methemoglobinemia after benzocaine was given for intubation.
- A preliminary study of intra-pocket topical versus injected anaesthetic for scaling and root planingJill L Stoltenberg
Department of Primary Dental Care, School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Clin Periodontol 34:892-6. 2007Compare the efficacy of topical benzocaine gel to injected lidocaine during scaling and root planing.
- A wild reaction to a topical anestheticGwendolyn F Alonso
East Pasco Medical Center, Zephyr Hills, FL, USA
RN 68:57-60. 2005
- A cyanotic toddlerMichael A Darracq
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, Davis Medical Center, and California Poison Control System, Sacramento, CA, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 23:195-9. 2007
- Patch-test reactions to topical anesthetics: retrospective analysis of cross-sectional data, 2001 to 2004Erin M Warshaw
Dermatitis 19:81-5. 2008Allergy to topical anesthetics is not uncommon. The cross-reactivity among topical anesthetics and the screening value of benzocaine alone are not well understood.
- Methemoglobinemia-induced cardio-respiratory failure secondary to topical anesthesiaSandeep A Saha
Department of Medicine, The Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science and North Chicago VA Medical Center, North Chicago, IL 60064, USA
Am J Ther 13:545-9. 2006Acute toxic methemoglobinemia is an infrequent complication of the use of topical anesthetics, most notably benzocaine. The clinical picture is characterized by sudden development of tissue hypoxia without underlying cardiac or ..
- Methemoglobinemia: hypotension and oxygen desaturation after transesophageal echocardiographyWaheed Gul
J Ark Med Soc 104:182-3. 2008
- [Comparison of the systems used for providing local anesthesia in dentistry--the Wand (Milestone Scientific) and Injex (Rosch)]Joanna Zarzecka
Pracownia Stomatologii Zachowawczej z Endodoncja, Instytut Stomatologii Uniwersytetu Jagiellolńskiego Collegium Medicum, Krakow
Przegl Lek 63:1304-9. 2006..This procedure is very stressful for the patients because it is combined with pain. The new systems for delivering local anesthesia in dentistry have revolutionized the technique considerably by its simplify as well as reduction in pain...
- Cyanosis following transesophageal echocardiogramApril M Lambert
Department of Internal Medicine, James H Quillen College of Medicine, Johnson City, TN, USA
W V Med J 104:10-5. 2008..Because methemoglobinemia can be life-threatening, early recognition and treatment are extremely important...
- Methemoglobinemia after fiberoptic intubation in a patient with an unstable cervical fracture: a case reportSushil K Basra
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Medicine and Dentistry, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 19:302-4. 2006..Surgeons and anesthesiologists who manage such patients should be aware of methemoglobinemia, a rare but potentially fatal complication related to topical airway anesthetics...
- When brown and blue make red: a case of acquired methemoglobinemiaMark A Marinella
Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio, USA
Heart Lung 35:205-6. 2006
- Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia in two patients: interdisciplinary collaboration, management, and near missesMelinda J Throm
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Midwestern University College of Pharmacy Glendale, Glendale, Arizona 85803, USA
Pharmacotherapy 27:1206-14. 2007..Methemoglobinemia develops in the presence of oxidizing agents, such as benzocaine-containing topical anesthetic sprays, and it is characterized by cyanosis...
- KNO3/benzocaine/tetracaine gel use for maintenance visit pain controlMilton Hodosh
Gen Dent 55:312-5. 2007A 35% potassium nitrate/20% benzocaine/10% tetracaine/aqueous hydroxyethyl cellulose gel was applied to the teeth and gingiva of 100 patients prior to hygienist-administered maintenance treatments...
- Methemoglobinemia after transesophageal echocardiography: a life-threatening complicationMichael J Jacka
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Alberta, Canada
J Clin Anesth 18:52-4. 2006..Treatment of acquired methemoglobinemia may require methylene blue, as oxygen is not usually sufficient. Avoidance of the oxidizing agent, probably benzocaine in the cases presented, is prudent.
- A nurse sends thanks for advice on treating a "wild reaction"Carol Gabella
RN 69:12. 2006
- Death of an infant involving benzocaineBarry K Logan
Washington State Toxicology Laboratory, Forensic Laboratory Services Bureau, Seattle 98134, USA
J Forensic Sci 50:1486-8. 2005This report describes the death of a four-month-old Hispanic male which may be related to benzocaine toxicity. A toxicological evaluation revealed benzocaine at a concentration of 3.48 mg/L, and postmortem methemoglobin of 36% (normal 0...
- Double-blind study on the effects of topical anesthesia on laryngeal secretionsJoy Walsh
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Voice Speech Swallowing Service, Rehabilitation Services Department, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Voice 20:282-90. 2006..Speculation is entertained regarding possible physiological pathways for these incidental findings, which could be relevant for some clinical practice...
- Methemoglobinemia and transesophageal echoMarcelo A Jiminez
Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY, 10021, USA
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 50:134-5. 2007..Though uncommon, MHb is the most Sported adverse event associated with topical benzocaine use. Untreated, it can lead to significant cardiopulmonary compromise, neurologic sequelae, and even death...
- More on benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemiaCarol L St George
J Am Osteopath Assoc 108:470. 2008
- Methemoglobinemia revisited: an important complication after transesophageal echocardiographyConstantine Tsigrelis
Department of Internal Medicine, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, One Robert Wood Johnson Place, MEB 486, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
Eur J Echocardiogr 7:470-2. 2006Methemoglobinemia induced by the use of benzocaine-containing topical anesthetics is a rare, but potentially lethal complication after transesophageal echocardiography (TEE). We report a patient who developed methemoglobinemia after TEE...
- Comparison of topical anesthetics (EMLA/Oraqix vs. benzocaine) on pain experienced during palatal needle injectionManal Abu Al-Melh
Department of Surgical Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:e16-20. 2007The aim of this study was to compare the topical anesthetic effect of 20% benzocaine gel with 2.5% lidocaine/2.5% prilocaine (L/P) cream and gel on the pain experienced during palatal anesthetic infiltration.
- Iatrogenic methemoglobinemia from benzocaine spray in traumaTodd L Allen
Am J Emerg Med 22:226. 2004
- Suspected methemoglobinemia following awake intubation: one possible effect of benzocaine topical anesthesia--a case reportRobert Sean Rinehart
Fleet Surgical Team 2, Little Creek, VA, USA
AANA J 71:117-8. 2003Methemoglobinemia is a potential negative side effect associated with the use of benzocaine for topical anesthesia...
- The use of lubricants to achieve tracheal intubation in neonates and infantsPaul Picton
Paediatr Anaesth 12:742. 2002
- Bye-bye benzocaine?Patricia Raymond
Nursing 33:10. 2003
- Should a mucoadhesive patch (DentiPatch) be used for gingival anesthesia in children?Shelly S Stecker
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Anesth Prog 49:3-8. 2002..Topical anesthesia was provided using either the mucoadhesive patch (20% lidocaine) or topical anesthetic (20% benzocaine). Subjects were randomized using a split mouth model...
- Methemoglobinemia as a cause of respiratory failureDaniel R Margulies
Department of Surgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
J Trauma 52:796-7. 2002
- Severe methemoglobinemia after transesophageal echocardiographyVasundhara Vidyarthi
Department of Cardiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Am J Ther 10:225-7. 2003..This can cause hypoxia, cyanosis, or even death. Severe methemoglobinemia resulting from oral benzocaine spray before endoscopic procedures has been reported as a rare complication...
- Methemoglobinemia induced by topical benzocaine: a warning for the endoscopistH Y Abdallah
Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island, Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Endoscopy 34:730-4. 2002b>Benzocaine is used routinely for topical pharyngeal anesthesia prior to upper endoscopy, to improve patient tolerance. A potentially fatal, although often unrecognized, complication of benzocaine use is methemoglobinemia...
- Two cases of methemoglobinemia from the use of topical anestheticsGlenn Carlson
Trauma Program, Bronson Methodist Hospital, 5863 Vista Ridge, Kalamazoo, MI 49009, USA
J Emerg Nurs 29:106-8. 2003
- Methemoglobinemia and topical pharyngeal anesthesiaFranz C Aepfelbacher
N Engl J Med 348:85-6. 2003
- Effective topical anesthetic agents and techniquesJohn G Meechan
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental School, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4BW, United Kingdom
Dent Clin North Am 46:759-66. 2002..b>Benzocaine is effective when used alone at a concentration of 20% and when combined at a dose of 15% with 1.7% amethocaine...
- Perioperatively acquired methaemoglobinaemia in a preterm infantCynthia A Voelker
Department of Neonatology, Woman s Hospital, Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 12:284-6. 2002..Methaemoglobinaemia is an uncommon cause of neonatal cyanosis. A case that illustrates the aetiology, diagnosis, and treatment of this condition is presented...
- Influence of site preparation methods on the pain reported during palatal infiltration using the Wand Local Anesthetic SystemJames Johnson
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, P O Box 100426, Gainesville, FL 32610 8195, USA
Am J Dent 16:165-9. 2003....
- Children's preference of benzocaine gel versus the lidocaine patchSonia J Wu
Pediatric Dental Department, Lutheran Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY, USA
Pediatr Dent 25:401-5. 2003This study compared pain, acceptance, and preference associated with 2 topical anesthetics: benzocaine gel and lidocaine patch (DentiPatch).
- Analgesic synergy between topical morphine and butamben in miceYuri A Kolesnikov
Department of Anesthesiology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Anesth Analg 97:1103-7, table of contents. 2003..In the current studies, we demonstrate that topical butamben, benzocaine, and bupivacaine are active in the radiant heat tail-flick assay...
- The need for caution with topical anesthesia during endoscopic procedures, as liberal use may result in methemoglobinemiaMichael F Byrne
Division of Gastroenterology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 38:225-9. 2004During upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, topical oropharyngeal anesthesia with lidocaine and/or benzocaine is used routinely by many endodscopists...
- Respiratory failure secondary to methemoglobinemia induced by benzocaine: a case reportWissam I Khalife
USD School of Medicine, Internal Medical Residency Program, Sioux Falls, SD, USA
S D J Med 57:145-7. 2004
- Critical rebound methemoglobinemia after methylene blue treatment: case reportMichael G Fitzsimons
Harvard Medical School, Departments of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Pharmacotherapy 24:538-40. 2004A 39-year-old man developed significant methemoglobinemia after receiving benzocaine spray; he was treated appropriately with intravenous methylene blue...
- From cocaine to ropivacaine: the history of local anesthetic drugsY A Ruetsch
University of Zurich, Department of Anesthesiology, Orthopedic University Clinic Balgrist, Switzerland
Curr Top Med Chem 1:175-82. 2001..local anesthetics were synthesized between 1891 and 1930, such as tropocaine, eucaine, holocaine, orthoform, benzocaine, and tetracaine...
- Comparison of topical anesthetics and vasoconstrictors vs lubricants prior to nasogastric intubation: a randomized, controlled trialA J Singer
Department of Emergency Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA
Acad Emerg Med 6:184-90. 1999..To determine whether pre-treatment of the nose and throat with topical anesthetics and vasoconstrictors would reduce the pain associated with nasogastric (NG) intubation...
- Two cases of methemoglobinemia following zopiclone ingestionHin Tat Fung
Tuen Mun Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 46:167-70. 2008..exposure to certain medications and chemicals such as nitrates, nitrites, aniline, dapsone, phenazopyridine, benzocaine, and chlorates which oxidize the iron from the ferrous state...
- A high prevalence of sensitization still persists in leg ulcer patients: a retrospective series of 106 patients tested between 2001 and 2002 and a meta-analysis of 1975-2003 dataL Machet
Service de Dermatologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Hopital Trousseau, 37044 Tours Cedex 1, France
Br J Dermatol 150:929-35. 2004..Sensitization to topical treatments used in leg ulcers is common. Questioning and patch testing are used to identify causative drugs or dressings...
- Contact allergy to lidocaine: a report of sixteen casesAntoine Amado
Department of Dermatology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Dermatitis 18:215-20. 2007..5% and benzocaine 5% (1 case each)...
- Anogenital dermatitis in patients referred for patch testing: retrospective analysis of cross-sectional data from the North American Contact Dermatitis Group, 1994-2004Erin M Warshaw
Department of Dermatology, University of Minnesota, and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Arch Dermatol 144:749-55. 2008..To characterize patients with anogenital dermatitis referred for patch testing by the North American Contact Dermatitis Group, to identify common allergens, and to explore sex associations...
- High performance liquid chromatography-diode array and electrospray-mass spectrometry analysis of vardenafil, sildenafil, tadalafil, testosterone and local anesthetics in cosmetic creams sold on the Internet web sitesDaniela De Orsi
Department of Therapeutic Research and Medicines Evaluation, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, V le Regina Elena 299, 00161, Rome, Italy
J Pharm Biomed Anal 50:362-9. 2009..for the determination of vardenafil, sildenafil, tadalafil, testosterone, procaine, lidocaine, prilocaine, and benzocaine in cosmetic creams sold as promising remedies for male erectile dysfunction and female genitals stimulation...
- Active transport inhibition in rat small intestine by amphiphilic amines: an in vitro study with various local anaestheticsG J Strugala
Walther Straub Institut für Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, D 80336, Munchen, Germany
Biochem Pharmacol 59:907-13. 2000..All the amphiphilic amines tested, except for benzocaine, significantly inhibited Na(+)-dependent active uptake of methyl alpha-D-glucoside and L-leucine while leaving ..
- Patch testing with the irritant sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is useful in interpreting weak reactions to contact allergens as allergic or irritantJ Geier
Information Network of Departments of Dermatology IVDK, Georg August University, Department of Dermatology, Gottingen, Germany
Contact Dermatitis 48:99-107. 2003..alcohol, 4-phenylenediamine base (PPD), propolis, formaldehyde, N-isopropyl-N'-phenyl-p-phenylenediamine (IPPD), benzocaine, and 4-tert-butylphenol-formaldehyde resin...
- A study of the thermal decomposition of adulterated cocaine samples under optimized aerobic pyrolytic conditionsT Gostic
Ministry of the Interior, Forensic Research Center, Vodovodna 95, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Forensic Sci Int 187:19-28. 2009..The anaesthetics lidocaine, benzocaine, procaine, the analgesics phenacetine and paracetamol, and the stimulant caffeine were used as the adulterants...
- Efficacy of a mucoadhesive patch compared with an oral solution for treatment of aphthous stomatitisAvner Shemer
Department of Dermatology, C Sheba Medical Center, Ramat Gan, Israel
Drugs R D 9:29-35. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of a mucoadhesive patch compared with a pain-relieving oral solution for the treatment of aphthous stomatitis...
- Allergic contact dermatitis to topical drugs--epidemiological risk assessmentC A Menezes de Pádua
Department of Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, Friedrich Alexander University, Erlangen, Germany
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 17:813-21. 2008....
- Analysis of carbohydrates in wood and pulps employing enzymatic hydrolysis and subsequent capillary zone electrophoresisO Dahlman
Swedish Pulp and Paper Research Institute, Stockholm
J Chromatogr A 891:157-74. 2000..e., 30 h incubation at pH 4 and 40 degrees C); whereas mixtures of HexA-xylobiose and HexA-xylotriose were obtained when the incubation was performed at pH 5 or 6...
- Contact dermatitis in students practicing sports: incidence of rubber sensitisationM T Ventura
Department of Internal Medicine, Immunology and Infectious Disease, University of Bari Medical School, Policlinico, Bari, Italy
Br J Sports Med 35:100-2. 2001....
- Development and application of a capillary electrophoresis based method for the assessment of monosaccharide in soil using acid hydrolysisSérgio M Santos
CESAM and Department of Chemistry, University of Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal
Talanta 72:165-71. 2007..0045+/-0.0003% (glucose) and 0.0267+/-0.0002% (arabinose) of the total soil content. Xylose, rhamnose, mannose, fucose and galactose content were also studied in the present work...
- (19)F NMR spectroscopic characterization of the interaction of niflumic acid with human serum albuminKeisuke Kitamura
Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, 5 Nakauchicho, Misasagi, Yamashina ku, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan
Anal Bioanal Chem 387:2843-8. 2007..Competitive (19)F NMR experiments using warfarin, dansyl-L: -asparagine, and benzocaine (site I ligands), and L: -tryptophan and ibuprofen (site II ligands) revealed that NFA binds to site I at two ..
- Infection and the risk of topical anesthetic induced clinically significant methemoglobinemia after transesophageal echocardiographySrikanth Vallurupalli
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, Illinois 62794, USA
Echocardiography 27:318-23. 2010Methemoglobinemia is a recognized complication of topical anesthesia with benzocaine during transesophageal echocardiography (TEE). Though several risk factors have been described, the importance of individual factors is not known...
- The association between ambient air conditions (temperature and absolute humidity), irritant sodium lauryl sulfate patch test reactions and patch test reactivity to standard allergensWolfgang Uter
Department of Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology IMBE, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Contact Dermatitis 49:97-102. 2003..with dry/cold weather conditions, but not with SLS reactivity, the opposite was observed for lanolin alcohol, benzocaine and Myroxylon pereirae resin (balsam of Peru)...
- CARDIAC CHANNELS--TARGETS OF DRUGS THAT AFFECT KINETICSDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition, experiments are proposed that will establish the channel specific or common effects on kinetics that control the action and efficacy of these agents as therapeutic drugs. ..
- DRUG INTERACTIONS WITH MODIFIED CARDIAC ION CHANNELSJonathan Makielski; Fiscal Year: 1999..We will first refine a protocol for the components of LA block using prototype charged (QX-222), uncharged (benzocaine), and mixed charge (lidocaine) LA (Aim 1)...
- Hispanic Heroin Users, Transitions to Injecting and HIVAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Substance Use and Other Health Consequences Among Katrina Evacuees in HoustonAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cardiac Channels: Targets of Drugs that Affect KineticsDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our strategy combines mutagenesis, whole cell, single channel, and gating current electrophysiology, and molecular modeling. ..
- Substance Use and Other Health Consequences Among Katrina Evacuees in HoustonAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Cardiac Channels: Targets of Drugs that Affect KineticsDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our strategy combines mutagenesis, whole cell, single channel, and gating current electrophysiology, and molecular modeling. ..
- STRUCTURE-FUNCTION OF THE CARDIAC SODIUM CHANNELDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Substance Use and Other Health Consequences Among Katrina Evacuees in HoustonAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- University of Houston Drug Abuse Research Development ProgramAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2008..The second pilot will use a "network facilitation" model and focus on the extent to which social networks facilitate (or impede) injecting drug use and related risk behaviors (N=60). ..
- Cardiac Channels: Targets of Drugs that Affect KineticsDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our strategy combines mutagenesis, whole cell, single channel, and gating current electrophysiology, and molecular modeling. ..
- Substance Use and Other Health Consequences Among Katrina Evacuees in HoustonAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2008..RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page -| Description, ..
- At Risk Hispanic Gangs: Long-Term Consequences for Hiv, Hepatitis and STIAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2008..Findings from this study can be used to develop HIV intervention strategies culturally appropriate for high risk Mexican American young adult populations ..
- Drug therapy targeted to the voltage-gated sodium channelDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2009..In pursuance of this hypothesis we will determine the residues at the bundle crossing by crosslinking Cys substitutions between S6 segments. ..
- At Risk Hispanic Gangs: Long-Term Consequences for Hiv, Hepatitis and STIAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2009..Findings from this study can be used to develop HIV intervention strategies culturally appropriate for high risk Mexican American young adult populations ..
- Cardiac Channels: Targets of Drugs that Affect KineticsDorothy A Hanck; Fiscal Year: 2010
- Cardiac Channels: Targets of Drugs that Affect KineticsDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2009
- At Risk Hispanic Gangs: Long-Term Consequences for Hiv, Hepatitis and STIAVELARDO contact VALDEZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings from this study can be used to develop HIV intervention strategies culturally appropriate for high risk Mexican American young adult populations ..
- University of Houston Drug Abuse Research Development ProgramAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2007..The second pilot will use a "network facilitation" model and focus on the extent to which social networks facilitate (or impede) injecting drug use and related risk behaviors (N=60). ..
- STRUCTURAL BASES OF T-TYPE CALCIUM CHANNEL FUNCTIONDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2000..These experiments will use techniques of electrophysiology, mutagenesis and molecular modeling. ..
- STRUCTURAL BASES OF T-TYPE CALCIUM CHANNEL FUNCTIONDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2001..These experiments will use techniques of electrophysiology, mutagenesis and molecular modeling. ..
- CARDIAC CHANNELS--TARGETS OF DRUGS THAT AFFECT KINETICSDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, experiments are proposed that will establish the channel specific or common effects on kinetics that control the action and efficacy of these agents as therapeutic drugs. ..
- Hispanic Heroin Users, Transitions to Injecting and HIVAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- STRUCTURAL BASES OF T-TYPE CALCIUM CHANNEL FUNCTIONDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2002..These experiments will use techniques of electrophysiology, mutagenesis and molecular modeling. ..
- CARDIAC CHANNELS--TARGETS OF DRUGS THAT AFFECT KINETICSDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, experiments are proposed that will establish the channel specific or common effects on kinetics that control the action and efficacy of these agents as therapeutic drugs. ..
- Hispanic Heroin Users, Transitions to Injecting and HIVAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- STRUCTURAL BASES OF T-TYPE CALCIUM CHANNEL FUNCTIONDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2003..These experiments will use techniques of electrophysiology, mutagenesis and molecular modeling. ..
- Hispanic Heroin Users, Transitions to Injecting and HIVAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- GENETIC POLYMORPHISMS IN THE EPOXYGENASE PATHWAY IN HYPERTENSIONAlbert Dreisbach; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- STRUCTURAL BASES OF T-TYPE CALCIUM CHANNEL FUNCTIONDOROTHY HANCK; Fiscal Year: 2003..These experiments will use techniques of electrophysiology, mutagenesis and molecular modeling. ..
- CARDIAC NA+ CHANNEL GATING AND LOCAL ANESTHETIC BLOCKSTERLING WRIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Children's Reasoning About Anxiety SensationsCarl Weems; Fiscal Year: 2004..The third and final aim is to explore possible developmental differences in children's reasoning about anxiety sensations. ..
- Hispanic Heroin Users, Transitions to Injecting and HIVAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Hispanic Heroin Users, Transitions to Injecting and HIVAvelardo Valdez; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Drug therapy targeted to the voltage-gated sodium channelMichael F Sheets; Fiscal Year: 2010..In pursuance of this hypothesis we will determine the residues at the bundle crossing by crosslinking Cys substitutions between S6 segments. ..