Genomes and Genes
Summary: An antilipemic agent which reduces both CHOLESTEROL and TRIGLYCERIDES in the blood.
Publications210 found, 100 shown here
- Effects of long-term fenofibrate therapy on cardiovascular events in 9795 people with type 2 diabetes mellitus (the FIELD study): randomised controlled trialA Keech
Lancet 366:1849-61. 2005..We designed the Fenofibrate Intervention and Event Lowering in Diabetes (FIELD) study to assess the effect of fenofibrate on cardiovascular disease events in these patients...
- Fenofibrate regulates retinal endothelial cell survival through the AMPK signal transduction pathwayJaetaek Kim
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, 224 1 Heuk Seok dong, Dongjak Ku, Seoul 156 755, South Korea
Exp Eye Res 84:886-93. 2007..Thus fenofibrate may have a novel therapeutic property that can control unwanted cell death found in diabetic retinopathy...
- PPARalpha agonist fenofibrate suppresses tumor growth through direct and indirect angiogenesis inhibitionDipak Panigrahy
Vascular Biology Program, Children s Hospital, Department of Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:985-90. 2008..Our results provide a mechanistic rationale for evaluating the clinical benefits of PPARalpha agonists in cancer treatment, alone and in combination with other therapies...
- Differential influences of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors gamma and -alpha on food intake and energy homeostasisPhilip J Larsen
Rheoscience, Rødovre, Denmark
Diabetes 52:2249-59. 2003....
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR)-alpha activation prevents diabetes in OLETF rats: comparison with PPAR-gamma activationEun Hee Koh
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Diabetes 52:2331-7. 2003....
- Fibrates modify the expression of key factors involved in bile-acid synthesis and biliary-lipid secretion in gallstone patientsNuria Roglans
Pharmacology Unit, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 59:855-61. 2004....
- A new fenofibrate formulation: results of six single-dose, clinical studies of bioavailability under fed and fasting conditionsPol Henri Guivarc'h
SkyePharma Inc, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Ther 26:1456-69. 2004..Insoluble Drug Delivery-Microparticle (IDD-P) fenofibrate 160-mg tablets are a new formulation developed to provide bioavailability independent of food...
- Effect of fenofibrate on the need for laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy (FIELD study): a randomised controlled trialA C Keech
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Lancet 370:1687-97. 2007..Our aim was to assess whether long-term lipid-lowering therapy with fenofibrate could reduce the progression of retinopathy and the need for laser treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Atorvastatin and micronized fenofibrate alone and in combination in type 2 diabetes with combined hyperlipidemiaVasilios G Athyros
Lipid Out patient Clinic, Aristotelian University, Hippocration Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Diabetes Care 25:1198-202. 2002..This study evaluated the effect of a atorvastatin-fenofibrate combination on lipid profile, in comparison to each drug alone, in patients with type 2 diabetes and combined hyperlipidemia (CHL)...
- Myocardial fibrosis and diastolic dysfunction in deoxycorticosterone acetate-salt hypertensive rats is ameliorated by the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha activator fenofibrate, partly by suppressing inflammatory responses associated with Takehiro Ogata
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
J Am Coll Cardiol 43:1481-8. 2004....
- Apolipoprotein A5, a crucial determinant of plasma triglyceride levels, is highly responsive to peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha activatorsNgoc Vu-Dac
Departement d Atherosclerose, U 545 INSERM, Institut Pasteur de Lille and Faculté de Pharmacie de Lille, 1 rue Calmette BP 245, 59019 Lille Cedex, France
J Biol Chem 278:17982-5. 2003..These findings demonstrate that APOA5 is a highly responsive peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha target gene and support its role as a major mediator for how fibrates reduce plasma triglycerides in humans...
- Fenofibrate and pioglitazone improve endothelial function and reduce arterial stiffness in obese glucose tolerant menKathryn E Ryan
The Royal Group of Hospitals, Belfast, UK
Atherosclerosis 194:e123-30. 2007..These results suggest that treatment with PPAR agonists has potential to reduce the incidence of premature cardiovascular disease associated with obesity...
- Activation of human aortic smooth-muscle cells is inhibited by PPARalpha but not by PPARgamma activatorsB Staels
U325 INSERM, Departement d Atherosclerose, Institut Pasteur, Lille, France
Nature 393:790-3. 1998....
- The effects of multiple doses of fenofibrate on the pharmacokinetics of pravastatin and its 3alpha-hydroxy isomeric metaboliteLinda E Gustavson
Department of Clinical Pharmacokinetics, Abbott Laboratories, Deptartment R4PK, Building AP13A, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park, IL 60064 6104, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 45:947-53. 2005..Pravastatin and 3alpha-hydroxy-iso-pravastatin systemic exposures were not statistically significantly different following the 1st and 10th doses of fenofibrate...
- A pharmacoepidemiological assessment of the effect of statins and fibrates on fibrinogen concentrationPatrick Maison
Service de Pharmacologie Clinique, Hopital Henri Mondor, AP HP, 94010 Creteil Cedex, France
Atherosclerosis 160:155-60. 2002..In conclusion, fibrates in contrast with statins may combine lipid-lowering with a beneficial effect on fibrinogen. This effect is independent of changes in cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations...
- Fenofibrate-induced acute cholestatic hepatitisChiu Yung Ho
Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 67:245-7. 2004..Treatment should be discontinued if alanine aminotransferase values increase by more than 100 IU/L...
- Fenofibrate prevents and reduces body weight gain and adiposity in diet-induced obese ratsF P Mancini
, Fisiche e Naturali, , Via Port'Arsa 11, 82100 Benevento, Italy
FEBS Lett 491:154-8. 2001..Finally, FF lowered mRNA levels of uncoupling protein-2 and did not affect mitochondrial respiration in skeletal muscle. Therefore, FF seems to act as a weight-stabilizer mainly through its effect on liver metabolism...
- Short-term triglyceride lowering with fenofibrate improves vasodilator function in subjects with hypertriglyceridemiaWarren H Capell
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:307-13. 2003....
- Fenofibrate potentiates warfarin effectsKarissa Y Kim
Pharmacy Practice, Temple University School of Pharmacy, Philadelphia, PA 19140 5101, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:212-5. 2003..To describe 2 patients in whom the initiation of fenofibrate potentiated warfarin's anticoagulant effects...
- PPAR alpha activator fenofibrate inhibits myocardial inflammation and fibrosis in angiotensin II-infused ratsQuy N Diep
Multidisciplinary Research Group on Hypertension, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, 110 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Que, Canada H2W 1R7
J Mol Cell Cardiol 36:295-304. 2004..We tested the hypothesis that the PPAR alpha activator fenofibrate prevents myocardial inflammation and fibrosis in angiotensin (Ang) II-infused rats...
- Fenofibrate monotherapy induced rhabdomyolysisBillie J Barker
Diabetes Care 26:2482-3. 2003
- Fenofibrate lowers abdominal and skeletal adiposity and improves insulin sensitivity in OLETF ratsH J Lee
Department of Pharmacology, Dong A University College of Medicine, Busan, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 296:293-9. 2002..It might result in reduction of adiposity of truncal adipose tissue and skeletal muscle. We suggest that reduction of adiposity in trunk and skeletal muscle might improve insulin sensitivity...
- PPARalpha agonists inhibit tissue factor expression in human monocytes and macrophagesB P Neve
, U.325 INSERM, Institut Pasteur de Lille, , , France
Circulation 103:207-12. 2001..Our results suggest a novel role for PPARalpha in the control of atherosclerotic plaque thrombogenicity through its effects on TF expression in monocytes and macrophages...
- Additive beneficial effects of fenofibrate combined with atorvastatin in the treatment of combined hyperlipidemiaKwang Kon Koh
Department of Cardiology, Gachon Medical School, Incheon, Korea
J Am Coll Cardiol 45:1649-53. 2005..We compared vascular and metabolic responses (and adverse responses) to statin and fibrate therapies alone or in combination in patients with combined hyperlipidemia...
- Fenofibrate therapy ameliorates fasting and postprandial lipoproteinemia, oxidative stress, and the inflammatory response in subjects with hypertriglyceridemia and the metabolic syndromeRobert S Rosenson
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Michigan, Domino s Farms, 24 Frank Lloyd Wright Dr, Lobby A, Ann Arbor, MI 48106 0736, USA
Diabetes Care 30:1945-51. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine the effects of fenofibrate (160 mg/day) on fasting and postprandial lipoproteins, oxidized fatty acids, and inflammatory mediators in subjects with hypertriglyceridemia and the metabolic syndrome...
- Simvastatin does not have a clinically significant pharmacokinetic interaction with fenofibrate in humansArthur J Bergman
Merck Research Laboratories, WP75 100, Sumneytown Pike, West Point, PA 19486, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 44:1054-62. 2004..70, 1.43), no clinically significant pharmacokinetic drug interaction between fenofibrate and simvastatin was concluded in humans. The coadministration of simvastatin and fenofibrate in this study was well tolerated...
- PPARalpha agonist fenofibrate improves diabetic nephropathy in db/db miceC W Park
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Kidney Int 69:1511-7. 2006..The activation of PPARalpha by fenofibrate in mesangial cells may partially contribute to its renal protection. Thus, fenofibrate may serve as a therapeutic agent for type II diabetes and diabetic nephropathy...
- Fenofibrate: a review of its use in primary dyslipidaemia, the metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes mellitusGillian M Keating
Wolters Kluwer Health, Adis, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 67:121-53. 2007..Thus, fenofibrate is a valuable lipid-lowering agent, particularly in patients with atherogenic dyslipidaemia...
- Fenofibrate prevents the development of angiotensin II-dependent hypertension in miceTrinity Vera
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, for Excellence in Cardiovascular Renal Research, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216 4505, USA
Hypertension 45:730-5. 2005..These results suggest that upregulation of the production of 20-HETE in renal tubules may contribute to the blood pressure-lowering effects of FF treatment in Ang II-dependent hypertension in C57BL/6J mice...
- FIELDS of dreams, fields of tears: a perspective on the fibrate trialsA S Wierzbicki
Department of Chemical Pathology, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Int J Clin Pract 60:442-9. 2006..Fenofibrate is a reasonable second-line therapy for dyslipidaemia in diabetes and safe in combination therapy. Its benefits on microvascular disease and in combination therapy require further confirmation...
- Effect of fibrates on postprandial remnant-like particles in patients with combined hyperlipidemiaT C Ooi
Metabolism and Hormone Laboratory, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Civic Campus, 1053 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1Y 4E9
Atherosclerosis 172:375-82. 2004..These results indicate that fibrates are effective agents in reducing the postprandial increase in remnant lipoprotein particles...
- Differential regulation of lipoprotein kinetics by atorvastatin and fenofibrate in subjects with the metabolic syndromeGerald F Watts
Lipoprotein Research Unit, Department of Medicine, University of Western Australia, Royal Perth Hospital, Box X2213 GPO, Perth, WA 6847, Australia
Diabetes 52:803-11. 2003..In conclusion, these differential effects of atorvastatin and fenofibrate on apoAI and apoB kinetics support the use of combination therapy for optimally regulating dyslipoproteinemia in the metabolic syndrome...
- Comparison of fluvastatin + fenofibrate combination therapy and fluvastatin monotherapy in the treatment of combined hyperlipidemia, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and coronary heart disease: a 12-month, randomized, double-blind, controlled trialGiuseppe Derosa
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pavia, P le C Golgi, 2 27100 Pavia, Italy
Clin Ther 26:1599-607. 2004..Diabetes risk is often complicated by a mixed hyperlipoproteinemia not sufficiently controlled by a single antihyperlipidemic drug; however, there are some concerns about the safety of combined statin and fibrate treatments...
- Risk of adverse events with fibratesAlawi A Alsheikh-Ali
Molecular Cardiology Research Institute, Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Tufts New England Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Am J Cardiol 94:935-8. 2004..This difference was especially noticeable in patients taking the combination of gemfibrozil and a statin, particularly cerivastatin...
- Targeting vascular risk in patients with metabolic syndrome but without diabetesVasilios G Athyros
Atherosclerosis and Metabolic Syndrome Units, Aristotelian University, 55132 Thessaloniki, Greece
Metabolism 54:1065-74. 2005..Atorvastatin and combination treatment were more effective than fenofibrate alone in reducing CRP levels...
- Pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic interaction between fenofibrate and ezetimibeTeddy Kosoglou
Department of Early Clinical Research and Experimental Medicine, Schering Plough Research Institute, Kenilworth, NJ 07033, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 20:1197-207. 2004..The pharmacodynamic, pharmacokinetic, and safety profiles of ezetimibe and fenofibrate were evaluated alone and after co-administration in 32 subjects with primary hypercholesterolemia...
- PPARalpha, but not PPARgamma, activators decrease macrophage-laden atherosclerotic lesions in a nondiabetic mouse model of mixed dyslipidemiaNathalie Hennuyer
INSERM U545, Departement d Atherosclerose, Institut Pasteur de Lille, 1 rue du Professeur Calmette, 59019 Lille Cedex, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:1897-902. 2005....
- Effectiveness and tolerability of simvastatin plus fenofibrate for combined hyperlipidemia (the SAFARI trial)Scott M Grundy
UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Am J Cardiol 95:462-8. 2005..Thus, this combination therapy is a beneficial therapeutic option for managing combined hyperlipidemia...
- Effects of fenofibrate on lipoproteins, vasomotor function, and serological markers of inflammation, plaque stabilization, and hemostasisKwang Kon Koh
Department of Cardiology, Gil Heart Center, Gachon Medical School, 1198 Kuwol dong, Namdong gu, Incheon 405 760, Republic of Korea
Atherosclerosis 174:379-83. 2004....
- Micronized fenofibrate normalizes the enhanced lipidemic response to a fat load in patients with type 2 diabetes and optimal glucose controlElisabeth Cavallero
Service de Medecine Interne, Nutrition, Métabolisme lipidique, CHU Henri Mondor, 51 Avenue du Marechal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Creteil, France
Atherosclerosis 166:151-61. 2003..Diabetes control was unchanged throughout the study. Fenofibrate normalized the abnormal PP response and improved the fasting lipoprotein abnormalities in patients with type 2 diabetes and optimal glucose control...
- Modulation of C-reactive protein-mediated monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 induction in human endothelial cells by anti-atherosclerosis drugsV Pasceri
Department of Cardiology, University of Texas-MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, USA
Circulation 103:2531-4. 2001....
- Induction of the phospholipid transfer protein gene accounts for the high density lipoprotein enlargement in mice treated with fenofibrateM Bouly
Department of Atherosclerosis-INSERM U545, Institut Pasteur de Lille, rue du Professeur Calmette, 59019 Lille Cedex, France
J Biol Chem 276:25841-7. 2001....
- Effects of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ligands, bezafibrate and fenofibrate, on adiponectin levelAki Hiuge
Department of Metabolic Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, 2 2, B5, Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:635-41. 2007..Effect of fibrates on adiponectin has not been clarified, whereas thiazolidinediones enhance adiponectin. Thus, we explored the possibility and mechanism that fibrates enhance adiponectin in humans, mice, and cells...
- Extralipid effects of micronized fenofibrate in dyslipidemic patientsBogusław Okopień
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Silesia, Medykow 18, PL 40 752 Katowice, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 58:729-35. 2006..The micronized fenofibrate at a daily dose of 267 mg demonstrated a highly beneficial effect on all lipid parameters and advantageous influence on inflammatory and thrombogenic plasma risk factors in patients with dyslipidemia HLPIIb...
- Efficacy and tolerability of a "suprabioavailable" formulation of fenofibrate in patients with dyslipidemia: a pooled analysis of two open-label trialsBrian R Ramjattan
First Line Medical Services Ltd, Saint John s, Newfoundland, Canada
Clin Ther 24:1105-16. 2002....
- Micronised fenofibrate: an updated review of its clinical efficacy in the management of dyslipidaemiaGillian M Keating
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 62:1909-44. 2002..The results of large ongoing studies (e.g. FIELD with approximately 10 000 patients) will clarify whether the beneficial lipid-modifying effects of micronised fenofibrate result in a reduction in cardiovascular morbidity and mortality...
- Effects of atorvastatin versus fenofibrate on lipoprotein profiles, low-density lipoprotein subfraction distribution, and hemorheologic parameters in type 2 diabetes mellitus with mixed hyperlipoproteinemiaR J Frost
Department of Internal Medicine II, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig-Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Am J Cardiol 87:44-8. 2001..We conclude that atorvastatin and fenofibrate can improve lipoprotein metabolism in type 2 diabetes. However, the medications affect different aspects of lipoprotein metabolism...
- Effects of fibrates on metabolism of statins in human hepatocytesThomayant Prueksaritanont
Department of Drug Metabolism, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, Pennsylvania 19486, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 30:1280-7. 2002....
- The reduction of inflammatory biomarkers by statin, fibrate, and combination therapy among diabetic patients with mixed dyslipidemia: the DIACOR (Diabetes and Combined Lipid Therapy Regimen) studyJoseph B Muhlestein
Cardiovascular Department, LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah 84143, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 48:396-401. 2006..The primary objective was to determine the effect of statin-fibrate combination therapy on inflammatory biomarkers in patients with diabetes...
- The beneficial effects of lipid-lowering drugs beyond lipid-lowering effects: a comparative study with pravastatin, atorvastatin, and fenofibrate in patients with type IIa and type IIb hyperlipidemiaAli Saklamaz
Division of Endocrinology, Dokuz Eylul University Medical School, Inciralti, Izmir 35340, Turkey
Metabolism 54:677-81. 2005..05). The 3 groups of antihyperlipidemic drugs have beneficial effects on the erythrocyte deformability index. Only fenofibrate has significant beneficial effects on the fibrinogen levels...
- Fenofibrate improves the atherogenic lipid profile and enhances LDL resistance to oxidation in HIV-positive adultsStephanie Badiou
Laboratoire de Biochimie des Lipides, Department of Biochemistry, 371 Av du Doyen Gaston Giraud, Hopital Lapeyronie, CHU Montpellier F34295, France
Atherosclerosis 172:273-9. 2004..This study evaluates the effects of fenofibrate and/or Vitamin E on lipoprotein profile...
- Is fenofibrate a cost-saving treatment for middle-aged individuals with type II diabetes? An economic analysis of the FIELD StudyMelinda Carrington
Baker Heart Research Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Int J Cardiol 127:51-6. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine the impact of fenofibrate therapy on health care costs in middle-aged patients with type II diabetes at high risk of future cardiovascular events...
- Fibrates influence the expression of genes involved in lipoprotein metabolism in a tissue-selective manner in the ratB Staels
Laboratorium voor Experimentele Geneeskunde en Endocrinologie, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Arterioscler Thromb 12:286-94. 1992..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Effects of fenofibrate on high-density lipoprotein particle size in patients with hyperlipidemia: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter, crossover studyJun Sasaki
Graduate School of Public Health Medicine, International University of Health and Welfare, Fukuoka, Japan
Clin Ther 24:1614-26. 2002..Fenofibrate lowers serum total cholesterol and triglyceride levels while it elevates serum high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) level...
- Fenofibrate in the treatment of dyslipidemia: a review of the data as they relate to the new suprabioavailable tablet formulationJadwiga Najib
Arnold and Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Long Island University, Brooklyn, New York 11201, USA
Clin Ther 24:2022-50. 2002..The 67- and 200-mg micronized capsules can be considered equivalent to the 54- and 160-mg suprabioavailable tablets, respectively...
- Effect of fenofibrate on serum inflammatory markers in patients with high triglyceride valuesVasilis Tsimihodimos
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, University of Ioannina, 45110 Ioannina, Greece
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 9:27-33. 2004..In this context, a number of inflammatory markers have been studied for their ability to predict future cardiovascular events in asymptomatic individuals or patients with established atherosclerotic disease...
- Absence of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha abolishes hypertension and attenuates atherosclerosis in the Tsukuba hypertensive mouseKaren M Tordjman
Institute of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Hypertension, Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Hypertension 50:945-51. 2007..They raise the possibility that its activation may aggravate hypertension and hasten atherosclerosis in the context of an activated renin-angiotensin system...
- Effects of fenofibrate on atherogenic dyslipidemia in hypertriglyceridemic subjectsMichael H Davidson
Department of Cardiology, Rush University Medical College, 60610, USA
Clin Cardiol 29:268-73. 2006....
- Dual mechanisms for the fibrate-mediated repression of proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9Sanae Kourimate
INSERM U915, CHU Hotel Dieu, 9 quai Moncousu, Nantes, France
J Biol Chem 283:9666-73. 2008..Moreover, this study validates the functional relevance of a combined therapy associating PCSK9 repressors and statins...
- Fenofibrate and rosiglitazone lower serum triglycerides with opposing effects on body weightE Chaput
Department of Metabolic Diseases, Laboratoire Fournier, 50, rue de Dijon, Daix, 21121, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 271:445-50. 2000..These results serve to clearly differentiate the metabolic finality of two distinct classes of drugs, as well as their corresponding nuclear receptors, having similar effects on serum triglycerides...
- Effects of short-term fenofibrate treatment on circulating markers of inflammation and hemostasis in patients with impaired glucose toleranceBoguslaw Okopien
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Silesia, Medykow 18, PL 40 752 Katowice, Poland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1770-8. 2006..Apart from lowering lipid levels, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) alpha activators (fibrates) produce many other favorable effects that may contribute to their clinical effectiveness in dyslipidemic and diabetic patients...
- Fenofibrate effectively reduces remnants, and small dense LDL, and increases HDL particle number in hypertriglyceridemic men - a nuclear magnetic resonance studyKatsunori Ikewaki
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 11:278-85. 2004..These effects, together with the favorable effect on inflammation, might provide a clinical benefit in hypertriglyceridemic subjects...
- Effects of comicronised fenofibrate on lipid and insulin sensitivity in patients with polymetabolic syndrome XB Idzior-Walus
Collegium Medicum Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland, Laboratoires Fournier, Daix, France
Eur J Clin Invest 30:871-8. 2000..This study investigated the effects of comicronised fenofibrate in patients with dyslipidemia and polymetabolic syndrome X...
- FIELD studyA Rees
University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, UK
Diabet Med 23:6-12. 2006
- Atorvastatin or fenofibrate on post-prandial lipaemia in type 2 diabetic patients with hyperlipidaemiaC Iovine
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 36:560-5. 2006..The study evaluated the effects of atorvastatin (20 mg d(-1)) vs. fenofibrate (200 mg d(-1)) on post-prandial lipids in type 2 diabetic patients with mixed hyperlipidaemia...
- Effect of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha and -gamma activators on vascular remodeling in endothelin-dependent hypertensionMarc Iglarz
CIHR Multidisciplinary Research Group on Hypertension, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:45-51. 2003..Thus, we investigated in vivo the interaction between PPARs and ET-1 in deoxycorticosterone acetate (DOCA)-salt rats that overexpress vascular ET-1...
- Fenofibrate effect on triglyceride and postprandial response of apolipoprotein A5 variants: the GOLDN studyChao Qiang Lai
Nutrition and Genomics Laboratory, JM USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, 711 Washington St, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:1417-25. 2007..Apolipoprotein A5 (APOA5) is a key determinant of plasma triglyceride (TG) concentrations. Genetic variation at the APOA5 locus could be responsible for some of the observed differences in response to fenofibrate therapy...
- Comparison of effects of simvastatin alone versus fenofibrate alone versus simvastatin plus fenofibrate on lipoprotein subparticle profiles in diabetic patients with mixed dyslipidemia (from the Diabetes and Combined Lipid Therapy Regimen study)Heidi T May
Intermountain Medical Center and LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Am J Cardiol 101:486-9. 2008..In conclusion, in this trial of mixed dyslipidemic patients with diabetes, combination therapy was more effective in changing a variety of other cardiovascular risk markers...
- Effect of fenofibrate on kidney function: a 6-week randomized crossover trial in healthy peopleJean Claude Ansquer
Laboratoires Fournier, Daix, France
Am J Kidney Dis 51:904-13. 2008..Fenofibrate was associated with increases in serum creatinine concentrations. The effect of short-term fenofibrate treatment on kidney function was investigated in subjects with normal kidney function...
- Fenofibrate: metabolic and pleiotropic effectsVasilis Tsimihodimos
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, University of Ioannina, 451 10 Ioannina, Greece
Curr Vasc Pharmacol 3:87-98. 2005..Additionally, in cases of refractory dyslipidaemia, the combination of fenofibrate with statins is a therapeutic option...
- Reporting rate of rhabdomyolysis with fenofibrate + statin versus gemfibrozil + any statinPeter H Jones
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Cardiol 95:120-2. 2005..The findings suggest that the use of fenofibrate in combination with statins results in fewer reports of rhabdomyolysis per million prescriptions dispensed than does the use of gemfibrozil...
- Effects of fenofibrate treatment on cardiovascular disease risk in 9,795 individuals with type 2 diabetes and various components of the metabolic syndrome: the Fenofibrate Intervention and Event Lowering in Diabetes (FIELD) studyRussell Scott
Lipid and Diabetes Research Group, Christchurch Hospital, Christchurch, New Zealand
Diabetes Care 32:493-8. 2009....
- Safety and efficacy of long-term co-administration of fenofibrate and ezetimibe in patients with mixed hyperlipidemiaJames M McKenney
National Clinical Research Inc, Richmond, Virginia 23294, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:1584-7. 2006..This study sought to determine the long-term safety and efficacy of co-administered fenofibrate (FENO) and ezetimibe (EZE) in patients with mixed hyperlipidemia...
- Long-term effects of fenofibrate on VLDL and HDL subspecies in participants with type 2 diabetes mellitusA Hiukka
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Helsinki University Hospital and Biomedicum, Haartmaninkatu 8, 00290, Helsinki, Finland
Diabetologia 50:2067-75. 2007..We explored the changes in VLDL and HDL subspecies during fenofibrate treatment in a statin-free FIELD cohort...
- Mode of action of fibrates in the regulation of triglyceride and HDL-cholesterol metabolismJean Charles Fruchart
Lipoprotein and Atherosclerosis Research Unit, INSERM Unité de Recherche sur l Arthérosclérose and Lille University 2 U545, Pasteur Institute of Lille, Lille, France
Drugs Today (Barc) 42:39-64. 2006..PPARs are also expressed in atherosclerotic lesions...
- Effects of fenofibrate on lipid metabolism in adipose tissue of ratsAdaliene Versiani Matos Ferreira
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biological Sciences, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG 31270 901, Brazil
Metabolism 55:731-5. 2006..These findings suggest that besides its effects on liver, fenofibrate exerts effects on lipid metabolism in adipose tissue which may contribute to decreasing adiposity...
- Fenofibrate activates AMPK and increases eNOS phosphorylation in HUVECHisashi Murakami
Department of Cardiology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 341:973-8. 2006....
- PPARalpha activation elevates blood pressure and does not correct glucocorticoid-induced insulin resistance in humansSavitha Subramanian
Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Lipid Research, Dept of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291:E1365-71. 2006..These data suggest that PPARalpha activation in humans does not correct insulin resistance induced by glucocorticoids and may adversely affect blood pressure...
- Fenofibrate reduces progression to microalbuminuria over 3 years in a placebo-controlled study in type 2 diabetes: results from the Diabetes Atherosclerosis Intervention Study (DAIS)Jean Claude Ansquer
Department of Clinical Research and Medical Affairs, Fournier Pharma, Daix, France
Am J Kidney Dis 45:485-93. 2005..The aim of this analysis is to study the influence of the treatment on changes in urinary albumin excretion...
- Ezetimibe plus fenofibrate: a new combination therapy for the management of mixed hyperlipidaemia?Michel Farnier
Point Medical, Rond Point de la Nation, 21000 Dijon, France
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:1345-52. 2007..Nevertheless, this combination therapy of ezetimibe plus fenofibrate seems particularly useful for patients with a poor response or intolerance to statin monotherapy...
- Beneficial effects of fenofibrate to improve endothelial dysfunction and raise adiponectin levels in patients with primary hypertriglyceridemiaKwang Kon Koh
Vascular Medicine and Atherosclerosis Unit, Division of Cardiology, Gil Heart Center, Gachon Medical School, 1198 Kuwol dong, Namdong gu, Incheon, Korea 405 760
Diabetes Care 28:1419-24. 2005..We hypothesize fenofibrate improves endothelial function by enhancing insulin sensitivity...
- Effect of fenofibrate on brachial artery flow-mediated dilatation in type 2 diabetes mellitusDavid A Playford
University Department of Medicine, The University of Western Australia, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Australia
Am J Cardiol 90:1254-7. 2002
- Fenofibrate-induced hyperhomocysteinemia may be prevented by folate co-administrationOtto Mayer
Dept of Internal Medicine, Charles University, Medical Faculty, 13 E Benese St, 320 00 Pilsen, Czech Republic
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 59:367-71. 2003..In our study we aimed to find out whether the folate co-administration would modify the fibrate-induced elevation of tHcy...
- Micronised fenofibrate: a review of its pharmacodynamic properties and clinical efficacy in the management of dyslipidaemiaJ C Adkins
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 54:615-33. 1997..Further studies are required to determine whether the lipid changes achieved with micronised fenofibrate result in a reduction in cardiovascular morbidity and mortality...
- De novo expression of uncoupling protein 3 is associated to enhanced mitochondrial thioesterase-1 expression and fatty acid metabolism in liver of fenofibrate-treated ratsAntonia Lanni
Department of Life Sciences, Second University of Naples, Caserta, Italy
FEBS Lett 525:7-12. 2002..The data demonstrate that UCP3 is involved in fatty acid utilization and support the notion that UCP3 and MTE-1 are linked within the same metabolic pathway...
- Micronized fenofibrate: a new fibric acid hypolipidemic agentD R Guay
Institute for the Study of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
Ann Pharmacother 33:1083-103. 1999..To review the efficacy and safety of fenofibrate in the management of hyperlipidemias...
- Combined effect of coenzyme Q10 and fenofibrate on forearm microcirculatory function in type 2 diabetesDavid A Playford
Department of Medicine, University of Western Australia, Royal Perth Hospital, GPO Box X2213, WA 6847, Australia
Atherosclerosis 168:169-79. 2003....
- Effects of adding fenofibrate (200 mg/day) to simvastatin (10 mg/day) in patients with combined hyperlipidemia and metabolic syndromeGloria Lena Vega
The Center for Human Nutrition, Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9052, USA
Am J Cardiol 91:956-60. 2003..Therefore, a combination of simvastatin 10 mg/day and fenofibrate 200 mg/day appears to be effective and safe for the treatment of atherogenic dyslipidemia in combined hyperlipidemia...
- Fenofibrate improves insulin sensitivity in connection with intramuscular lipid content, muscle fatty acid-binding protein, and beta-oxidation in skeletal muscleM Furuhashi
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, S 1, W 16, Chuo Ku, Sapporo 060 8543, Japan
J Endocrinol 174:321-9. 2002....
- Fenofibrate increases creatininemia by increasing metabolic production of creatinineCarine Hottelart
Department of Nephrology, CHU Amiens, France
Nephron 92:536-41. 2002..Fenofibrate-induced increase of daily creatinine production is neither readily explained by accelerated muscular cell lysis. It is proposed that fenofibrate increases the metabolic production rate of creatinine...
- Relationships between low-density lipoprotein particle size, plasma lipoproteins, and progression of coronary artery disease: the Diabetes Atherosclerosis Intervention Study (DAIS)Juha Vakkilainen
Department of Medicine, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Circulation 107:1733-7. 2003..We determined whether on-treatment plasma lipid concentrations and LDL particle size contribute to the favorable effect of fenofibrate on the progression of coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Update on fenofibrateDavid R P Guay
University of Minnesota, College of Pharmacy, Weaver Densford Hall 7 115C, 308 Harvard Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Cardiovasc Drug Rev 20:281-302. 2002..The results of other ongoing outcome trials are eagerly awaited. These results will help to establish the overall place of fenofibrate in the hypolipidemic armamentarium...
- Fenofibrate treatment in patients with primary biliary cirrhosisHiromasa Ohira
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2147-9. 2002
- Fenofibrate-induced hyperhomocysteinaemia: clinical implications and managementJutta Dierkes
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Biochemistry, University Hospital Magdeburg, Germany
Drug Saf 26:81-91. 2003....
- Fenofibrate induces a selective increase of protein-bound homocysteine in rodents: a PPARalpha-mediated effectChristiane Legendre
Laboratoires Fournier, 50 Rue de Dijon, 21121 Daix, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 295:1052-6. 2002..While awaiting corroboration in human, our results suggest that the extent and mechanism of the increase in total Hcy in patients treated with fenofibrate should not a priori be associated with relevant risk...
- Folate supplementation prevents plasma homocysteine increase after fenofibrate therapyT Stulc
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Nutrition 17:721-3. 2001..We investigated the hypothesis that concomitant treatment with fenofibrate and folic acid leads to a smaller increase in plasma total homocysteine levels than treatment with fenofibrate alone...
- Both cerivastatin and fenofibrate improve arterial vasoreactivity in patients with combined hyperlipidaemiaM Sebestjen
Department of Angiology, Hospital of Internal Medicine, University Clinical Centre, Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Intern Med 251:77-85. 2002..The aim of this study was to compare the effects of cerivastatin and fenofibrate on endothelium dependent and independent arterial dilation...
- PPARalpha ligands activate antioxidant enzymes and suppress hepatic fibrosis in ratsTetsuya Toyama
Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 324:697-704. 2004..PPARalpha ligands have an antifibrotic action in the rat TAA model of liver cirrhosis, probably due to an antioxidant effect of enhanced catalase expression and activity in the liver...
- Efficacy of combination of atorvastatin and micronised fenofibrate in the treatment of severe mixed hyperlipidemiaD N Kiortisis
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Greece
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 56:631-5. 2000..We undertook this study to assess the efficacy of fenofibrate in combination with atorvastatin in patients with severe mixed dyslipidemia...
- Fenofibrate for patients with asymptomatic primary biliary cirrhosisKazufumi Dohmen
Department of Internal Medicine, Okabe Hospital, 1 2 1 Myojinzaka Umi machi Kasuya gun Fukuoka 811 2122 Japan
World J Gastroenterol 10:894-8. 2004..The aim of this study was to examine the safety and efficacy of fenofibrate, a member of the fibrate class of hypolipidemic and anti-inflammatory agent via peroxysome proliferatory-activated receptor alpha, in patients with aPBC...
- Homocysteine and lipid lowering agents. A comparison between atorvastatin and fenofibrate in patients with mixed hyperlipidemiaP Giral
Service d Endocrinologie Métabolisme, Centre de Détection et de Prévention de l Athérosclérose, Groupe Hospitalier Pitié, Salpetriere, 47 83 boulevard de l Hopital, 75651 Cedex 13, Paris, France
Atherosclerosis 154:421-7. 2001..We compared the effect of a statin and a fibrate (atorvastatin and fenofibrate) on plasma levels of homocysteine and other thiol compounds in hyperlipidemic patients...
- Endogenous Mechanisms of PPAR ModulationJorge Plutzky; Fiscal Year: 2005..Together, these studies integrate biochemical, biologic, and in vivo models to better understand how endogenous modulation of PPAR activity may determine biologic responses. ..
- Lipolytic Mechanisms of PPAR ActivationJorge Plutzky; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through these programmatic efforts, insight will be gained into lipolysis as a mechanism for selective endogenous PPAR activation, and its distal transcriptional effects. ..
- CARDIOVASCULAR NUTRITION IN MEDICAL EDUCATIONScott Grundy; Fiscal Year: 2002..The long term goal is to produce graduates who routinely address nutrition and exercise for cardiovascular health with their patients. ..
- Lipoprotein lipase in myocyte fuel partitioningWARREN CAPELL; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies have important implications for understanding the development of obesity, the metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes mellitus. ..
- Lipoprotein lipase in fatty acid partitioningWARREN CAPELL; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also examine how LPL overexpression affects the mobilization of the intracellular TG pool, as stagnancy of this pool is felt to be associated with the development of insulin resistance. ..
- MACROPHAGE EXPRESSION OF APOAI AND ATHEROSCLEROSISSergio Fazio; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies have the potential to uncover the basis for the therapeutic effect of HDL on the arterial plaque. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fat Induced Insulin Resistance and AtherosclerosisGuenther Boden; Fiscal Year: 2007..We believe that these studies will provide important new information relative to the mechanism by which obesity and FFAs cause IR and ASVD in human subjects. ..
- Free Fatty Acids and Hepatic Insulin ResistanceGuenther Boden; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will hopefully provide much needed information relative to important details and mechanisms of FFA induced hepatic insulin resistance. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Modeling of Lung HIV Cytokine/Chemokine NetworksPaul Skolnik; Fiscal Year: 2006..Identification of the most central molecules in these linked systems may suggest new therapeutic or vaccine approaches to bolster the host immune response to HIV. ..
- Personal Digital Assistant for Guideline Adherence TrialDavid Goff; Fiscal Year: 2006..Hence, this innovative strategy holds great promise for making a substantial public health impact through the prevention of CVD and through subsequent translation to other important conditions. ..
- Training Program in Host Pathogen InteractionsPaul Skolnik; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Risk of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes among Young FinnsJaakko Tuomilehto; Fiscal Year: 2005..The detailed epidemiological data obtained in this study will also lay a foundation for further research of etiological factors, genetic and environmental, predisposing to DMI and DM2 in this age group. ..
- Innate Immunity, HIV, and OIs: Role of TLRs in the LungPaul Skolnik; Fiscal Year: 2004..The innovation of this grant is a new paradigm that suggests direct or indirect effects of HIV on TLRs that may affect innate immune responses to OIs or HIV, itself. ..
- FAT MEDIATED INSULIN SECRETION AND DIABETES IN ELDERLYGuenther Boden; Fiscal Year: 2003..We hope that this project will help to better understand the mechanisms by which obesity contributes to the development of NIDDM. ..
- Lung TACE, TNFalpha & TNFR Regulation of HIV ReplicationPaul Skolnik; Fiscal Year: 2002..This hypothesis-driven project will suggest whether anti-TNF or anti-TACE therapies will improve immunologic function and virologic control in HIV-infected persons receiving HAART. ..
- Osteoprotegerin and osteopontin in aortic aneurysmJonathan Golledge; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the role of these calcium-controlling proteins in artery weakness and how drug therapy can interfere in these effects is an important step in the development of new treatment for aortic aneurysm. ..