Genomes and Genes
Summary: An antilipemic agent which reduces both CHOLESTEROL and TRIGLYCERIDES in the blood.
Publications191 found, 100 shown here
- Fibrates modify the expression of key factors involved in bile-acid synthesis and biliary-lipid secretion in gallstone patientsNuria Roglans
Pharmacology Unit, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 59:855-61. 2004....
- PPARalpha agonists inhibit tissue factor expression in human monocytes and macrophagesB P Neve
, U.325 INSERM, Institut Pasteur de Lille, , , France
Circulation 103:207-12. 2001..Our results suggest a novel role for PPARalpha in the control of atherosclerotic plaque thrombogenicity through its effects on TF expression in monocytes and macrophages...
- Differential influences of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors gamma and -alpha on food intake and energy homeostasisPhilip J Larsen
Rheoscience, Rødovre, Denmark
Diabetes 52:2249-59. 2003....
- Fenofibrate lowers abdominal and skeletal adiposity and improves insulin sensitivity in OLETF ratsH J Lee
Department of Pharmacology, Dong A University College of Medicine, Busan, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 296:293-9. 2002..It might result in reduction of adiposity of truncal adipose tissue and skeletal muscle. We suggest that reduction of adiposity in trunk and skeletal muscle might improve insulin sensitivity...
- Fenofibrate regulates retinal endothelial cell survival through the AMPK signal transduction pathwayJaetaek Kim
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, 224 1 Heuk Seok dong, Dongjak Ku, Seoul 156 755, South Korea
Exp Eye Res 84:886-93. 2007..Thus fenofibrate may have a novel therapeutic property that can control unwanted cell death found in diabetic retinopathy...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR)-alpha activation prevents diabetes in OLETF rats: comparison with PPAR-gamma activationEun Hee Koh
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Diabetes 52:2331-7. 2003....
- Effect of fenofibrate on the need for laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy (FIELD study): a randomised controlled trialA C Keech
NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Lancet 370:1687-97. 2007..Our aim was to assess whether long-term lipid-lowering therapy with fenofibrate could reduce the progression of retinopathy and the need for laser treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Apolipoprotein A5, a crucial determinant of plasma triglyceride levels, is highly responsive to peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha activatorsNgoc Vu-Dac
Departement d Atherosclerose, U 545 INSERM, Institut Pasteur de Lille and Faculté de Pharmacie de Lille, 1 rue Calmette BP 245, 59019 Lille Cedex, France
J Biol Chem 278:17982-5. 2003..These findings demonstrate that APOA5 is a highly responsive peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha target gene and support its role as a major mediator for how fibrates reduce plasma triglycerides in humans...
- Additive beneficial effects of fenofibrate combined with atorvastatin in the treatment of combined hyperlipidemiaKwang Kon Koh
Department of Cardiology, Gachon Medical School, Incheon, Korea
J Am Coll Cardiol 45:1649-53. 2005..We compared vascular and metabolic responses (and adverse responses) to statin and fibrate therapies alone or in combination in patients with combined hyperlipidemia...
- Myocardial fibrosis and diastolic dysfunction in deoxycorticosterone acetate-salt hypertensive rats is ameliorated by the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha activator fenofibrate, partly by suppressing inflammatory responses associated with Takehiro Ogata
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
J Am Coll Cardiol 43:1481-8. 2004....
- Atorvastatin and micronized fenofibrate alone and in combination in type 2 diabetes with combined hyperlipidemiaVasilios G Athyros
Lipid Out patient Clinic, Aristotelian University, Hippocration Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Diabetes Care 25:1198-202. 2002..This study evaluated the effect of a atorvastatin-fenofibrate combination on lipid profile, in comparison to each drug alone, in patients with type 2 diabetes and combined hyperlipidemia (CHL)...
- Fenofibrate therapy ameliorates fasting and postprandial lipoproteinemia, oxidative stress, and the inflammatory response in subjects with hypertriglyceridemia and the metabolic syndromeRobert S Rosenson
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Michigan, Domino s Farms, 24 Frank Lloyd Wright Dr, Lobby A, Ann Arbor, MI 48106 0736, USA
Diabetes Care 30:1945-51. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine the effects of fenofibrate (160 mg/day) on fasting and postprandial lipoproteins, oxidized fatty acids, and inflammatory mediators in subjects with hypertriglyceridemia and the metabolic syndrome...
- Fenofibrate prevents and reduces body weight gain and adiposity in diet-induced obese ratsF P Mancini
, Fisiche e Naturali, , Via Port'Arsa 11, 82100 Benevento, Italy
FEBS Lett 491:154-8. 2001..Finally, FF lowered mRNA levels of uncoupling protein-2 and did not affect mitochondrial respiration in skeletal muscle. Therefore, FF seems to act as a weight-stabilizer mainly through its effect on liver metabolism...
- Effects of long-term fenofibrate therapy on cardiovascular events in 9795 people with type 2 diabetes mellitus (the FIELD study): randomised controlled trialA Keech
Lancet 366:1849-61. 2005..We designed the Fenofibrate Intervention and Event Lowering in Diabetes (FIELD) study to assess the effect of fenofibrate on cardiovascular disease events in these patients...
- Fenofibrate potentiates warfarin effectsKarissa Y Kim
Pharmacy Practice, Temple University School of Pharmacy, Philadelphia, PA 19140 5101, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:212-5. 2003..To describe 2 patients in whom the initiation of fenofibrate potentiated warfarin's anticoagulant effects...
- PPAR alpha activator fenofibrate inhibits myocardial inflammation and fibrosis in angiotensin II-infused ratsQuy N Diep
Multidisciplinary Research Group on Hypertension, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, 110 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Que, Canada H2W 1R7
J Mol Cell Cardiol 36:295-304. 2004..We tested the hypothesis that the PPAR alpha activator fenofibrate prevents myocardial inflammation and fibrosis in angiotensin (Ang) II-infused rats...
- A new fenofibrate formulation: results of six single-dose, clinical studies of bioavailability under fed and fasting conditionsPol Henri Guivarc'h
SkyePharma Inc, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Ther 26:1456-69. 2004..Insoluble Drug Delivery-Microparticle (IDD-P) fenofibrate 160-mg tablets are a new formulation developed to provide bioavailability independent of food...
- Fenofibrate monotherapy induced rhabdomyolysisBillie J Barker
Diabetes Care 26:2482-3. 2003
- Fenofibrate prevents the development of angiotensin II-dependent hypertension in miceTrinity Vera
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, for Excellence in Cardiovascular Renal Research, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216 4505, USA
Hypertension 45:730-5. 2005..These results suggest that upregulation of the production of 20-HETE in renal tubules may contribute to the blood pressure-lowering effects of FF treatment in Ang II-dependent hypertension in C57BL/6J mice...
- Micronized fenofibrate normalizes the enhanced lipidemic response to a fat load in patients with type 2 diabetes and optimal glucose controlElisabeth Cavallero
Service de Medecine Interne, Nutrition, Métabolisme lipidique, CHU Henri Mondor, 51 Avenue du Marechal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Creteil, France
Atherosclerosis 166:151-61. 2003..Diabetes control was unchanged throughout the study. Fenofibrate normalized the abnormal PP response and improved the fasting lipoprotein abnormalities in patients with type 2 diabetes and optimal glucose control...
- Effect of fibrates on postprandial remnant-like particles in patients with combined hyperlipidemiaT C Ooi
Metabolism and Hormone Laboratory, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Civic Campus, 1053 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ont, Canada K1Y 4E9
Atherosclerosis 172:375-82. 2004..These results indicate that fibrates are effective agents in reducing the postprandial increase in remnant lipoprotein particles...
- Simvastatin does not have a clinically significant pharmacokinetic interaction with fenofibrate in humansArthur J Bergman
Merck Research Laboratories, WP75 100, Sumneytown Pike, West Point, PA 19486, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 44:1054-62. 2004..70, 1.43), no clinically significant pharmacokinetic drug interaction between fenofibrate and simvastatin was concluded in humans. The coadministration of simvastatin and fenofibrate in this study was well tolerated...
- PPARalpha agonist fenofibrate improves diabetic nephropathy in db/db miceC W Park
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Kidney Int 69:1511-7. 2006..The activation of PPARalpha by fenofibrate in mesangial cells may partially contribute to its renal protection. Thus, fenofibrate may serve as a therapeutic agent for type II diabetes and diabetic nephropathy...
- Fenofibrate: a review of its use in primary dyslipidaemia, the metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes mellitusGillian M Keating
Wolters Kluwer Health, Adis, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 67:121-53. 2007..Thus, fenofibrate is a valuable lipid-lowering agent, particularly in patients with atherogenic dyslipidaemia...
- The beneficial effects of lipid-lowering drugs beyond lipid-lowering effects: a comparative study with pravastatin, atorvastatin, and fenofibrate in patients with type IIa and type IIb hyperlipidemiaAli Saklamaz
Division of Endocrinology, Dokuz Eylul University Medical School, Inciralti, Izmir 35340, Turkey
Metabolism 54:677-81. 2005..05). The 3 groups of antihyperlipidemic drugs have beneficial effects on the erythrocyte deformability index. Only fenofibrate has significant beneficial effects on the fibrinogen levels...
- Fenofibrate improves the atherogenic lipid profile and enhances LDL resistance to oxidation in HIV-positive adultsStephanie Badiou
Laboratoire de Biochimie des Lipides, Department of Biochemistry, 371 Av du Doyen Gaston Giraud, Hopital Lapeyronie, CHU Montpellier F34295, France
Atherosclerosis 172:273-9. 2004..This study evaluates the effects of fenofibrate and/or Vitamin E on lipoprotein profile...
- Is fenofibrate a cost-saving treatment for middle-aged individuals with type II diabetes? An economic analysis of the FIELD StudyMelinda Carrington
Baker Heart Research Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Int J Cardiol 127:51-6. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine the impact of fenofibrate therapy on health care costs in middle-aged patients with type II diabetes at high risk of future cardiovascular events...
- Fibrates influence the expression of genes involved in lipoprotein metabolism in a tissue-selective manner in the ratB Staels
Laboratorium voor Experimentele Geneeskunde en Endocrinologie, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Arterioscler Thromb 12:286-94. 1992..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Fenofibrate in the treatment of dyslipidemia: a review of the data as they relate to the new suprabioavailable tablet formulationJadwiga Najib
Arnold and Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Long Island University, Brooklyn, New York 11201, USA
Clin Ther 24:2022-50. 2002..The 67- and 200-mg micronized capsules can be considered equivalent to the 54- and 160-mg suprabioavailable tablets, respectively...
- Effects of fenofibrate on high-density lipoprotein particle size in patients with hyperlipidemia: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter, crossover studyJun Sasaki
Graduate School of Public Health Medicine, International University of Health and Welfare, Fukuoka, Japan
Clin Ther 24:1614-26. 2002..Fenofibrate lowers serum total cholesterol and triglyceride levels while it elevates serum high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) level...
- Absence of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha abolishes hypertension and attenuates atherosclerosis in the Tsukuba hypertensive mouseKaren M Tordjman
Institute of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Hypertension, Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Hypertension 50:945-51. 2007..They raise the possibility that its activation may aggravate hypertension and hasten atherosclerosis in the context of an activated renin-angiotensin system...
- Effect of fenofibrate on serum inflammatory markers in patients with high triglyceride valuesVasilis Tsimihodimos
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, University of Ioannina, 45110 Ioannina, Greece
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 9:27-33. 2004..In this context, a number of inflammatory markers have been studied for their ability to predict future cardiovascular events in asymptomatic individuals or patients with established atherosclerotic disease...
- Effects of fenofibrate on atherogenic dyslipidemia in hypertriglyceridemic subjectsMichael H Davidson
Department of Cardiology, Rush University Medical College, 60610, USA
Clin Cardiol 29:268-73. 2006....
- Dual mechanisms for the fibrate-mediated repression of proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9Sanae Kourimate
INSERM U915, CHU Hotel Dieu, 9 quai Moncousu, Nantes, France
J Biol Chem 283:9666-73. 2008..Moreover, this study validates the functional relevance of a combined therapy associating PCSK9 repressors and statins...
- Effects of short-term fenofibrate treatment on circulating markers of inflammation and hemostasis in patients with impaired glucose toleranceBoguslaw Okopien
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Silesia, Medykow 18, PL 40 752 Katowice, Poland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1770-8. 2006..Apart from lowering lipid levels, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) alpha activators (fibrates) produce many other favorable effects that may contribute to their clinical effectiveness in dyslipidemic and diabetic patients...
- Fenofibrate and rosiglitazone lower serum triglycerides with opposing effects on body weightE Chaput
Department of Metabolic Diseases, Laboratoire Fournier, 50, rue de Dijon, Daix, 21121, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 271:445-50. 2000..These results serve to clearly differentiate the metabolic finality of two distinct classes of drugs, as well as their corresponding nuclear receptors, having similar effects on serum triglycerides...
- Atorvastatin or fenofibrate on post-prandial lipaemia in type 2 diabetic patients with hyperlipidaemiaC Iovine
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Federico II University, Naples, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 36:560-5. 2006..The study evaluated the effects of atorvastatin (20 mg d(-1)) vs. fenofibrate (200 mg d(-1)) on post-prandial lipids in type 2 diabetic patients with mixed hyperlipidaemia...
- Fenofibrate effectively reduces remnants, and small dense LDL, and increases HDL particle number in hypertriglyceridemic men - a nuclear magnetic resonance studyKatsunori Ikewaki
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 11:278-85. 2004..These effects, together with the favorable effect on inflammation, might provide a clinical benefit in hypertriglyceridemic subjects...
- Effects of comicronised fenofibrate on lipid and insulin sensitivity in patients with polymetabolic syndrome XB Idzior-Walus
Collegium Medicum Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland, Laboratoires Fournier, Daix, France
Eur J Clin Invest 30:871-8. 2000..This study investigated the effects of comicronised fenofibrate in patients with dyslipidemia and polymetabolic syndrome X...
- FIELD studyA Rees
University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, UK
Diabet Med 23:6-12. 2006
- Effect of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha and -gamma activators on vascular remodeling in endothelin-dependent hypertensionMarc Iglarz
CIHR Multidisciplinary Research Group on Hypertension, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:45-51. 2003..Thus, we investigated in vivo the interaction between PPARs and ET-1 in deoxycorticosterone acetate (DOCA)-salt rats that overexpress vascular ET-1...
- Fenofibrate effect on triglyceride and postprandial response of apolipoprotein A5 variants: the GOLDN studyChao Qiang Lai
Nutrition and Genomics Laboratory, JM USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, 711 Washington St, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:1417-25. 2007..Apolipoprotein A5 (APOA5) is a key determinant of plasma triglyceride (TG) concentrations. Genetic variation at the APOA5 locus could be responsible for some of the observed differences in response to fenofibrate therapy...
- Ezetimibe plus fenofibrate: a new combination therapy for the management of mixed hyperlipidaemia?Michel Farnier
Point Medical, Rond Point de la Nation, 21000 Dijon, France
Expert Opin Pharmacother 8:1345-52. 2007..Nevertheless, this combination therapy of ezetimibe plus fenofibrate seems particularly useful for patients with a poor response or intolerance to statin monotherapy...
- Long-term effects of fenofibrate on VLDL and HDL subspecies in participants with type 2 diabetes mellitusA Hiukka
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Helsinki University Hospital and Biomedicum, Haartmaninkatu 8, 00290, Helsinki, Finland
Diabetologia 50:2067-75. 2007..We explored the changes in VLDL and HDL subspecies during fenofibrate treatment in a statin-free FIELD cohort...
- Comparison of effects of simvastatin alone versus fenofibrate alone versus simvastatin plus fenofibrate on lipoprotein subparticle profiles in diabetic patients with mixed dyslipidemia (from the Diabetes and Combined Lipid Therapy Regimen study)Heidi T May
Intermountain Medical Center and LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Am J Cardiol 101:486-9. 2008..In conclusion, in this trial of mixed dyslipidemic patients with diabetes, combination therapy was more effective in changing a variety of other cardiovascular risk markers...
- Effect of fenofibrate on kidney function: a 6-week randomized crossover trial in healthy peopleJean Claude Ansquer
Laboratoires Fournier, Daix, France
Am J Kidney Dis 51:904-13. 2008..Fenofibrate was associated with increases in serum creatinine concentrations. The effect of short-term fenofibrate treatment on kidney function was investigated in subjects with normal kidney function...
- Effects of fenofibrate treatment on cardiovascular disease risk in 9,795 individuals with type 2 diabetes and various components of the metabolic syndrome: the Fenofibrate Intervention and Event Lowering in Diabetes (FIELD) studyRussell Scott
Lipid and Diabetes Research Group, Christchurch Hospital, Christchurch, New Zealand
Diabetes Care 32:493-8. 2009....
- Fenofibrate and pioglitazone improve endothelial function and reduce arterial stiffness in obese glucose tolerant menKathryn E Ryan
The Royal Group of Hospitals, Belfast, UK
Atherosclerosis 194:e123-30. 2007..These results suggest that treatment with PPAR agonists has potential to reduce the incidence of premature cardiovascular disease associated with obesity...
- PPARalpha ligands activate antioxidant enzymes and suppress hepatic fibrosis in ratsTetsuya Toyama
Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 324:697-704. 2004..PPARalpha ligands have an antifibrotic action in the rat TAA model of liver cirrhosis, probably due to an antioxidant effect of enhanced catalase expression and activity in the liver...
- Reporting rate of rhabdomyolysis with fenofibrate + statin versus gemfibrozil + any statinPeter H Jones
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Cardiol 95:120-2. 2005..The findings suggest that the use of fenofibrate in combination with statins results in fewer reports of rhabdomyolysis per million prescriptions dispensed than does the use of gemfibrozil...
- Fenofibrate activates AMPK and increases eNOS phosphorylation in HUVECHisashi Murakami
Department of Cardiology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 341:973-8. 2006....
- Mode of action of fibrates in the regulation of triglyceride and HDL-cholesterol metabolismJean Charles Fruchart
Lipoprotein and Atherosclerosis Research Unit, INSERM Unité de Recherche sur l Arthérosclérose and Lille University 2 U545, Pasteur Institute of Lille, Lille, France
Drugs Today (Barc) 42:39-64. 2006..PPARs are also expressed in atherosclerotic lesions...
- Fenofibrate reduces progression to microalbuminuria over 3 years in a placebo-controlled study in type 2 diabetes: results from the Diabetes Atherosclerosis Intervention Study (DAIS)Jean Claude Ansquer
Department of Clinical Research and Medical Affairs, Fournier Pharma, Daix, France
Am J Kidney Dis 45:485-93. 2005..The aim of this analysis is to study the influence of the treatment on changes in urinary albumin excretion...
- Safety and efficacy of long-term co-administration of fenofibrate and ezetimibe in patients with mixed hyperlipidemiaJames M McKenney
National Clinical Research Inc, Richmond, Virginia 23294, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:1584-7. 2006..This study sought to determine the long-term safety and efficacy of co-administered fenofibrate (FENO) and ezetimibe (EZE) in patients with mixed hyperlipidemia...
- Effects of fenofibrate on lipid metabolism in adipose tissue of ratsAdaliene Versiani Matos Ferreira
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biological Sciences, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG 31270 901, Brazil
Metabolism 55:731-5. 2006..These findings suggest that besides its effects on liver, fenofibrate exerts effects on lipid metabolism in adipose tissue which may contribute to decreasing adiposity...
- Fenofibrate: metabolic and pleiotropic effectsVasilis Tsimihodimos
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, University of Ioannina, 451 10 Ioannina, Greece
Curr Vasc Pharmacol 3:87-98. 2005..Additionally, in cases of refractory dyslipidaemia, the combination of fenofibrate with statins is a therapeutic option...
- PPARalpha activation elevates blood pressure and does not correct glucocorticoid-induced insulin resistance in humansSavitha Subramanian
Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Lipid Research, Dept of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291:E1365-71. 2006..These data suggest that PPARalpha activation in humans does not correct insulin resistance induced by glucocorticoids and may adversely affect blood pressure...
- Beneficial effects of fenofibrate to improve endothelial dysfunction and raise adiponectin levels in patients with primary hypertriglyceridemiaKwang Kon Koh
Vascular Medicine and Atherosclerosis Unit, Division of Cardiology, Gil Heart Center, Gachon Medical School, 1198 Kuwol dong, Namdong gu, Incheon, Korea 405 760
Diabetes Care 28:1419-24. 2005..We hypothesize fenofibrate improves endothelial function by enhancing insulin sensitivity...
- Fenofibrate-induced acute cholestatic hepatitisChiu Yung Ho
Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 67:245-7. 2004..Treatment should be discontinued if alanine aminotransferase values increase by more than 100 IU/L...
- Short-term triglyceride lowering with fenofibrate improves vasodilator function in subjects with hypertriglyceridemiaWarren H Capell
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver 80262, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:307-13. 2003....
- Relationships between low-density lipoprotein particle size, plasma lipoproteins, and progression of coronary artery disease: the Diabetes Atherosclerosis Intervention Study (DAIS)Juha Vakkilainen
Department of Medicine, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Circulation 107:1733-7. 2003..We determined whether on-treatment plasma lipid concentrations and LDL particle size contribute to the favorable effect of fenofibrate on the progression of coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Activation of human aortic smooth-muscle cells is inhibited by PPARalpha but not by PPARgamma activatorsB Staels
U325 INSERM, Departement d Atherosclerose, Institut Pasteur, Lille, France
Nature 393:790-3. 1998....
- Update on fenofibrateDavid R P Guay
University of Minnesota, College of Pharmacy, Weaver Densford Hall 7 115C, 308 Harvard Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Cardiovasc Drug Rev 20:281-302. 2002..The results of other ongoing outcome trials are eagerly awaited. These results will help to establish the overall place of fenofibrate in the hypolipidemic armamentarium...
- Micronized fenofibrate: a new fibric acid hypolipidemic agentD R Guay
Institute for the Study of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
Ann Pharmacother 33:1083-103. 1999..To review the efficacy and safety of fenofibrate in the management of hyperlipidemias...
- Fenofibrate-induced hyperhomocysteinaemia: clinical implications and managementJutta Dierkes
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Biochemistry, University Hospital Magdeburg, Germany
Drug Saf 26:81-91. 2003....
- Effect of fenofibrate on brachial artery flow-mediated dilatation in type 2 diabetes mellitusDavid A Playford
University Department of Medicine, The University of Western Australia, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Australia
Am J Cardiol 90:1254-7. 2002
- De novo expression of uncoupling protein 3 is associated to enhanced mitochondrial thioesterase-1 expression and fatty acid metabolism in liver of fenofibrate-treated ratsAntonia Lanni
Department of Life Sciences, Second University of Naples, Caserta, Italy
FEBS Lett 525:7-12. 2002..The data demonstrate that UCP3 is involved in fatty acid utilization and support the notion that UCP3 and MTE-1 are linked within the same metabolic pathway...
- Efficacy of combination of atorvastatin and micronised fenofibrate in the treatment of severe mixed hyperlipidemiaD N Kiortisis
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Greece
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 56:631-5. 2000..We undertook this study to assess the efficacy of fenofibrate in combination with atorvastatin in patients with severe mixed dyslipidemia...
- Folate supplementation prevents plasma homocysteine increase after fenofibrate therapyT Stulc
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Nutrition 17:721-3. 2001..We investigated the hypothesis that concomitant treatment with fenofibrate and folic acid leads to a smaller increase in plasma total homocysteine levels than treatment with fenofibrate alone...
- Both cerivastatin and fenofibrate improve arterial vasoreactivity in patients with combined hyperlipidaemiaM Sebestjen
Department of Angiology, Hospital of Internal Medicine, University Clinical Centre, Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Intern Med 251:77-85. 2002..The aim of this study was to compare the effects of cerivastatin and fenofibrate on endothelium dependent and independent arterial dilation...
- A pharmacoepidemiological assessment of the effect of statins and fibrates on fibrinogen concentrationPatrick Maison
Service de Pharmacologie Clinique, Hopital Henri Mondor, AP HP, 94010 Creteil Cedex, France
Atherosclerosis 160:155-60. 2002..In conclusion, fibrates in contrast with statins may combine lipid-lowering with a beneficial effect on fibrinogen. This effect is independent of changes in cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations...
- Effects of adding fenofibrate (200 mg/day) to simvastatin (10 mg/day) in patients with combined hyperlipidemia and metabolic syndromeGloria Lena Vega
The Center for Human Nutrition, Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 9052, USA
Am J Cardiol 91:956-60. 2003..Therefore, a combination of simvastatin 10 mg/day and fenofibrate 200 mg/day appears to be effective and safe for the treatment of atherogenic dyslipidemia in combined hyperlipidemia...
- Homocysteine and lipid lowering agents. A comparison between atorvastatin and fenofibrate in patients with mixed hyperlipidemiaP Giral
Service d Endocrinologie Métabolisme, Centre de Détection et de Prévention de l Athérosclérose, Groupe Hospitalier Pitié, Salpetriere, 47 83 boulevard de l Hopital, 75651 Cedex 13, Paris, France
Atherosclerosis 154:421-7. 2001..We compared the effect of a statin and a fibrate (atorvastatin and fenofibrate) on plasma levels of homocysteine and other thiol compounds in hyperlipidemic patients...
- Fenofibrate induces a selective increase of protein-bound homocysteine in rodents: a PPARalpha-mediated effectChristiane Legendre
Laboratoires Fournier, 50 Rue de Dijon, 21121 Daix, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 295:1052-6. 2002..While awaiting corroboration in human, our results suggest that the extent and mechanism of the increase in total Hcy in patients treated with fenofibrate should not a priori be associated with relevant risk...
- Fenofibrate improves insulin sensitivity in connection with intramuscular lipid content, muscle fatty acid-binding protein, and beta-oxidation in skeletal muscleM Furuhashi
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, S 1, W 16, Chuo Ku, Sapporo 060 8543, Japan
J Endocrinol 174:321-9. 2002....
- Fenofibrate increases creatininemia by increasing metabolic production of creatinineCarine Hottelart
Department of Nephrology, CHU Amiens, France
Nephron 92:536-41. 2002..Fenofibrate-induced increase of daily creatinine production is neither readily explained by accelerated muscular cell lysis. It is proposed that fenofibrate increases the metabolic production rate of creatinine...
- Fenofibrate-induced hyperhomocysteinemia may be prevented by folate co-administrationOtto Mayer
Dept of Internal Medicine, Charles University, Medical Faculty, 13 E Benese St, 320 00 Pilsen, Czech Republic
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 59:367-71. 2003..In our study we aimed to find out whether the folate co-administration would modify the fibrate-induced elevation of tHcy...
- Fenofibrate for patients with asymptomatic primary biliary cirrhosisKazufumi Dohmen
Department of Internal Medicine, Okabe Hospital, 1 2 1 Myojinzaka Umi machi Kasuya gun Fukuoka 811 2122 Japan
World J Gastroenterol 10:894-8. 2004..The aim of this study was to examine the safety and efficacy of fenofibrate, a member of the fibrate class of hypolipidemic and anti-inflammatory agent via peroxysome proliferatory-activated receptor alpha, in patients with aPBC...
- Combined effect of coenzyme Q10 and fenofibrate on forearm microcirculatory function in type 2 diabetesDavid A Playford
Department of Medicine, University of Western Australia, Royal Perth Hospital, GPO Box X2213, WA 6847, Australia
Atherosclerosis 168:169-79. 2003....
- Micronised fenofibrate: a review of its pharmacodynamic properties and clinical efficacy in the management of dyslipidaemiaJ C Adkins
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 54:615-33. 1997..Further studies are required to determine whether the lipid changes achieved with micronised fenofibrate result in a reduction in cardiovascular morbidity and mortality...
- Fenofibrate treatment in patients with primary biliary cirrhosisHiromasa Ohira
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2147-9. 2002
- Hypolipidemic mechanisms of Ananas comosus L. leaves in mice: different from fibrates but similar to statinsWeidong Xie
Laboratory of Life Sciences and Marine Biology, Life Sciences Division, Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University, Shenzhen, China
J Pharmacol Sci 103:267-74. 2007..Its action mechanisms differentiate from those with fibrates but may be partly similar to those with statins. It is hopeful that AC may serve as the adjuvant for fibrates...
- Fenofibrate of gemfibrozil for treatment of types IIa and IIb primary hyperlipoproteinemia: a randomized, double-blind, crossover studyAlvaro Insua
Instituto de Investigaciones Metabólicas, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Endocr Pract 8:96-101. 2002..To compare the hypolipidemic effects of gemfibrozil and micronized fenofibrate in patients with primary hyperlipoproteinemia, phenotypes IIa and IIb, with emphasis on their cholesterol-lowering effectiveness...
- Chronic activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha with fenofibrate prevents alterations in cardiac metabolic phenotype without changing the onset of decompensation in pacing-induced heart failureVolodymyr Labinskyy
Department of Physiology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 321:165-71. 2007..S. versus control). Thus, preventing changes in myocardial substrate metabolism in the failing heart causes a modest improvement of cardiac function during the progression of the disease, with no effects on the onset of decompensation...
- The effect of apolipoprotein E polymorphism on the response to lipid-lowering treatment with atorvastatin or fenofibrateDimitrios S Christidis
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 11:211-21. 2006....
- Effects of fenofibrate and xuezhikang on high-fat diet-induced non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseXue Zhi Hong
Institute of Chinese Herb Medicine, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, PR China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 34:27-35. 2007..However, the side-effects of fenofibrate and the underlying constituents of xuezhikang need to be determined and investigated further...
- Effect of apolipoprotein E, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha and lipoprotein lipase gene mutations on the ability of fenofibrate to improve lipid profiles and reach clinical guideline targets among hypertriglyceridemic patientsDiane Brisson
Community Genomic Medicine Centre, University of Montreal, Chicoutimi Hospital, Quebec, Canada
Pharmacogenetics 12:313-20. 2002..This study suggests that frequent genetic variations in genes encoding proteins involved in TG-rich lipoprotein metabolism could modulate the response to fenofibrate treatment, as defined in clinical guidelines...
- A 16-week fenofibrate treatment increases LDL particle size in type IIA dyslipidemic patientsIsabelle Lemieux
Lipid Research Center, CHUL Research Center, Quebec, Sainte Foy, Canada
Atherosclerosis 162:363-71. 2002....
- The hypolipidaemic activity of aqueous Erica multiflora flowers extract in Triton WR-1339 induced hyperlipidaemic rats: a comparison with fenofibrateHicham Harnafi
Laboratoire de Biochimie, Faculty of Sciences, Oujda, Morocco
J Ethnopharmacol 109:156-60. 2007....
- Effects of a potent and selective PPAR-alpha agonist in patients with atherogenic dyslipidemia or hypercholesterolemia: two randomized controlled trialsSteven E Nissen
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Lerner School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
JAMA 297:1362-73. 2007..Fibrates are weak agonists of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPAR-alpha). No trials have reported effects of more potent and selective agents...
- The role of fenofibrate in clinical practiceAlberto Zambon
Centre for Atherosclerosis Prevention and Treatment, Department of Medicine, Policlinico Universitario, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
Diab Vasc Dis Res 4:S15-20. 2007..Data are awaited from the ongoing Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes (ACCORD) study to evaluate the outcome benefits of this approach...
- Antidiabetic and hypolipidemic effects of a novel dual peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) alpha/gamma agonist, E3030, in db/db mice and beagle dogsShunji Kasai
Vitamin E Information and Technology Section, Eisai Co Ltd, 1 3 Tokodai 5 chome, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 108:40-8. 2008....
- Efficacy and safety of a potent and selective peroxisome proliferator activated receptor alpha agonist in subjects with dyslipidemia and type 2 diabetes mellitusSteven G Terra
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton, Connecticut, USA
Am J Cardiol 102:434-9. 2008..In conclusion, CP-778,875 2 mg/day significantly increased HDL cholesterol, significantly lowered fasting triglycerides, and increased apoA-I and HDL subfractions. The clinical relevance of the increase in homocysteine levels is unknown...
- Atorvastatin and fenofibrate have comparable effects on VLDL-apolipoprotein C-III kinetics in men with the metabolic syndromeDick C Chan
Metabolic Research Centre, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:1831-7. 2008..Disturbed apolipoprotein (apo) C-III metabolism may account for dyslipidemia in these subjects. Atorvastatin and fenofibrate decrease plasma apoC-III, but the underlying mechanisms are not fully understood...
- Adiponectin receptors: expression in Zucker diabetic rats and effects of fenofibrate and metforminCoralie Metais
EA 4173 ERI 22 agressions vasculaires et réponses tissulaires, Faculté Rockefeller, UCBLyon1, 69008 Lyon, France
Metabolism 57:946-53. 2008..Parts of the actions of fenofibrate and of metformin could be mediated by a stimulation of the expression of these receptors in liver and in insulin-sensitive, glucose-utilizing tissues (muscle, WAT), respectively...
- Efficacy of lipid-lowering medications in patients treated with clozapine: a naturalistic studyPierre Landry
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:348-9. 2008
- Does the addition of fibrates to statin therapy have a favorable risk to benefit ratio?Eliot A Brinton
Cardiovascular Genetics, University of Utah School of Medicine, 420 Chipeta Way, Room 1160, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Curr Atheroscler Rep 10:25-32. 2008..This review provides an update on the benefits and risks of fibrate monotherapy and addresses the benefits and risks of adding fibrates to statins...
- Comparison of three treatment approaches to decreasing cardiovascular disease risk in nondiabetic insulin-resistant dyslipidemic subjectsFahim Abbasi
Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Am J Cardiol 102:64-9. 2008..In conclusion, there did not appear to be 1 therapeutic intervention that effectively treated all metabolic abnormalities present in these patients at greatly increased risk of cardiovascular disease...
- Bicyclol, a synthetic dibenzocyclooctadiene derivative, decreases hepatic lipids but increases serum triglyceride level in normal and hypercholesterolaemic miceSi Yuan Pan
Department of Pharmacology, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Beijing 100102, China
J Pharm Pharmacol 59:1657-62. 2007..The results indicate that bicyclol treatment can invariably decrease hepatic lipid levels and increase serum triglyceride levels in normal and hypercholesterolaemic mice...
- Developmental and pharmacological regulation of apolipoprotein C-II gene expression. Comparison with apo C-I and apo C-III gene regulationY Andersson
U325 INSERM, Departement d Atherosclerose, Institut Pasteur de Lille et Faculté de Pharmacie, Universite de Lille II, Lille, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 19:115-21. 1999....
- Plasma triglycerides are not related to tissue lipids and insulin sensitivity in elderly following PPAR-alpha agonist treatmentMelanie G Cree
Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, United States
Mech Ageing Dev 128:558-65. 2007..2+/-0.05, insulin resistant). Furthermore, there was no change in IMCL or LFAT. These results indicate that whereas fenofibrate significantly lowers plasma lipids it neither affects insulin sensitivity nor intracellular lipids in elderly...
- Endogenous Mechanisms of PPAR ModulationJorge Plutzky; Fiscal Year: 2005..Together, these studies integrate biochemical, biologic, and in vivo models to better understand how endogenous modulation of PPAR activity may determine biologic responses. ..
- ANTIOXIDANT & HYPERGLYCEMIA INDUCED PROCOAGULANT STATEGuenther Boden; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Lipolytic Mechanisms of PPAR ActivationJorge Plutzky; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through these programmatic efforts, insight will be gained into lipolysis as a mechanism for selective endogenous PPAR activation, and its distal transcriptional effects. ..
- FUNCTIONAL HIERARCHY OF REMNANT LIPOPROTEIN RECEPTORSSergio Fazio; Fiscal Year: 2007..The hypothesis tested is that apoE-mediated cholesterol efflux from macrophages is independent from ABCA1 or SR-B1 mechanisms. ..
- Translating Research into Prevention of Diabetes (TRIP Diabetes)David Goff; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- CARDIOVASCULAR NUTRITION IN MEDICAL EDUCATIONScott Grundy; Fiscal Year: 2002..The long term goal is to produce graduates who routinely address nutrition and exercise for cardiovascular health with their patients. ..
- Hyperglycemia and Hyperinsulinemia Induced Procoagulant StateGuenther Boden; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Modeling of Lung HIV Cytokine/Chemokine NetworksPaul Skolnik; Fiscal Year: 2006..Identification of the most central molecules in these linked systems may suggest new therapeutic or vaccine approaches to bolster the host immune response to HIV. ..
- Personal Digital Assistant for Guideline Adherence TrialDavid Goff; Fiscal Year: 2006..Hence, this innovative strategy holds great promise for making a substantial public health impact through the prevention of CVD and through subsequent translation to other important conditions. ..
- New York University HIV/AIDS Clinical Trial UnitJudith Aberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our unit has given significant scientific contributions to the concept and design of many studies and will continue to do so. ADMINISTRATIVE COMPONENT: ..
- Training Program in Host Pathogen InteractionsPaul Skolnik; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Risk of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes among Young FinnsJaakko Tuomilehto; Fiscal Year: 2005..The detailed epidemiological data obtained in this study will also lay a foundation for further research of etiological factors, genetic and environmental, predisposing to DMI and DM2 in this age group. ..
- Osteoprotegerin and osteopontin in aortic aneurysmJonathan Golledge; Fiscal Year: 2005..Understanding the role of these calcium-controlling proteins in artery weakness and how drug therapy can interfere in these effects is an important step in the development of new treatment for aortic aneurysm. ..
- Free Fatty Acids and Hepatic Insulin ResistanceGuenther Boden; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will hopefully provide much needed information relative to important details and mechanisms of FFA induced hepatic insulin resistance. ..
- FUNCTIONAL HIERARCHY OF REMNANT LIPOPROTEIN RECEPTORSSergio Fazio; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have discovered a functional connection between two proteins (apoE and LRP1) that improves cholesterol disposal in plaque macrophages, and may lead to development of new drugs for regression of coronary plaques. ..
- FUNCTIONAL HIERARCHY OF REMNANT LIPOPROTEIN RECEPTORSSergio Fazio; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have discovered a functional connection between two proteins (apoE and LRP1) that improves cholesterol disposal in plaque macrophages, and may lead to development of new drugs for regression of coronary plaques. ..
- MACROPHAGE EXPRESSION OF APOAI AND ATHEROSCLEROSISSergio Fazio; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies have the potential to uncover the basis for the therapeutic effect of HDL on the arterial plaque. ..
- Fat Induced Insulin Resistance and AtherosclerosisGuenther Boden; Fiscal Year: 2007..We believe that these studies will provide important new information relative to the mechanism by which obesity and FFAs cause IR and ASVD in human subjects. ..
- FUNCTIONAL HIERARCHY OF REMNANT LIPOPROTEIN RECEPTORSSergio Fazio; Fiscal Year: 2003..The hypothesis tested is that apoE-mediated cholesterol efflux from macrophages is independent from ABCA1 or SR-B1 mechanisms. ..
- Lung TACE, TNFalpha & TNFR Regulation of HIV ReplicationPaul Skolnik; Fiscal Year: 2002..This hypothesis-driven project will suggest whether anti-TNF or anti-TACE therapies will improve immunologic function and virologic control in HIV-infected persons receiving HAART. ..
- FUNCTIONAL HIERARCHY OF REMNANT LIPOPROTEIN RECEPTORSSergio Fazio; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, in vitro studies will be conducted to assess the role of LRP in the binding and degradation of B-VLDL. ..
- FAT MEDIATED INSULIN SECRETION AND DIABETES IN ELDERLYGuenther Boden; Fiscal Year: 2003..We hope that this project will help to better understand the mechanisms by which obesity contributes to the development of NIDDM. ..
- MACROPHAGE EXPRESSION OF APOAI AND ATHEROSCLEROSISSergio Fazio; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies can be expected to delineate the biology of foam cell formation and the importance of cholesterol efflux in atherogenesis. Moreover, these studies may lay the basis for a gene therapy approach to atherosclerosis. ..
- Innate Immunity, HIV, and OIs: Role of TLRs in the LungPaul Skolnik; Fiscal Year: 2004..The innovation of this grant is a new paradigm that suggests direct or indirect effects of HIV on TLRs that may affect innate immune responses to OIs or HIV, itself. ..
- Control of cancer and metastasis by endothelial-derived epoxyeicosatrienoic acidsDipak Panigrahy; Fiscal Year: 2010..Conversely, blocking the EET pathway may offer a new strategy to block tumor blood vessels and, hence, help combat cancer. Thus, novel drugs which block EETs will be tested in preclinical trials to confirm their activity. ..
- Hyperglycemia and Hyperinsulinemia Induced Procoagulant StateGuenther Boden; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Osteoprotegerin and osteopontin in aortic aneurysmJonathan Golledge; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the role of these calcium-controlling proteins in artery weakness and how drug therapy can interfere in these effects is an important step in the development of new treatment for aortic aneurysm. ..
- FUNCTIONAL HIERARCHY OF REMNANT LIPOPROTEIN RECEPTORSSergio Fazio; Fiscal Year: 2006..The hypothesis tested is that apoE-mediated cholesterol efflux from macrophages is independent from ABCA1 or SR-B1 mechanisms. ..
- Osteoprotegerin and osteopontin in aortic aneurysmJonathan Golledge; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the role of these calcium-controlling proteins in artery weakness and how drug therapy can interfere in these effects is an important step in the development of new treatment for aortic aneurysm. ..